Speaker 1: The most important question to ask someone before you marry them or even date them. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm what sex are you?
Speaker 1: Just to be sure check the junk. I think bigger than that is a dog. Does your dog sleep in bed with you? That's a bigger dividing line than whether you're actually a dude or a chicken. Oh my god, this has become very clear to me having been UHD online dating for a total of like five months, and I will never do it again. It's not for me. But man, that's a big one. And uh, I don't know if there's any bridge in that gap on a whole bunch of this stuff. So I was looking at start. It started this conversation with my son. Yesterday, we went, I want to eat something somewhere different for Memorial Day, somewhere fun. So we went to this restaurant that's along the local river, restaurant on the river and got a deck on the river and all that sort of stuff, and it's cool. So we went nate and the food was good and it was fun and Memorial Day issue. There are people there that had dogs at the restaurant. It's fine. It's kind of half outdoor, but still, you brought your dog to the restaurant. Not everybody does that act a restaurant we both stumbled out of many years ago. Yes, this is true institution. Yeah, but I was looking up the percentages. It's hard to nail these down for variety of reasons. Part of it is you always end up with a whole bunch of surveys that clearly Global vet Link says eighty percent of American pet owners take their pets on trips annually. Of course you're a yeah exactly, you're a pet food or a vet thing or whatever. But the percentages are growing. I think we all realize this. Of restaurants that allow dogs in them, Yeah, from zero to some several, from zero to if you're not old enough to have lived this, from zero, it was inconceivable that anybody would even ask the question, be okay, if I brought my dog in here? What would be the answer to every restaurant you go to, especially in like living in California now pretty much always there's at least ad dog there, uh, if not many, many, especially if there's any sort of outdoor deck, and then whether you want to do that or not. And then there's the take the dog in your car. Oh, I skip apart. So there are some dogs on the deck there at the restaurant. And I have to be careful here because my two sons have grown up with many, many, many dogs around them, causing problems all the time. They're one of them. In particular, my kids is quite anti having a dog around, which is unfortunate, but he just can't imagine why you'd bring a dog to the restaurant. Meant you had to drive there with the dog. And he's done many road trips with the dog in the car and does not like it at all because of everything that with it. And if you like it, fine, if you like it, absolutely fine, But you got to find other people that like it also, is the thing. And if you drive, I've done road trips with a dog, you gotta stop and let it out a lot. You got hair all over everything. Sometimes they throw up if there's winding roads, there's just a lot involved. And if you like that sort of thing, again, fine, you gotta have companions who also like it. Anyway, so you drove with the dog in the car to the restaurant, and then it's at the restaurant and we were sitting there and then we saw several boats go by or they had dogs on the boat, which should be a similar sort of thing. And again, fine, if you like that sort of thing. And then I was looking into the what percentage of people sleep with their pets. This is a little more solid information based on the polling looks like legitimate polling. American Kennel Club says forty five percent of dog owners let their dogs sleep in their bed. That seems a little high to me, but even in like regular surveys, it's a third. Sixty two percent of people let small dogs sleep in their bed, forty of medium sized dog owners let them sleep in their bed, only a third of large dog owners let them sleep in their bed, but sixty two percent of small dog owners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a hard no. Hey, glad we got together, enjoyed the reindeer games. I'm going over there to sleep. Good night you and your dog, good night.
Speaker 1: Your cat's sleep in your bed. Michael, No, no again. I am perfectly okay with the fact that you do this, but it is a it is an absolute red line. Weird. Can't be a couple thing for me. I'm not taking road trips with the dog in a car and we're not sleeping with the dog in the bed. I just can't do it. I can't do it. Yeah, if I tried to do it, because like you're really nice and everything else about you, I absolutely think it's fantastic and I think we could make a great couple. I would spend my entire time fighting back bitterness or resentfulness by having a dog waking me up in the bed or being annoying in the car. And I realized, for a lot of you listening right now, you love that. You absolutely love it. I know you. I have been with you, I have written in cars with you and then and the old bed thing and everything else or airplanes got to help the airplanes. You love it. But man, my only point in this is not right or wrong. It's just it is a hard lot dividing line.
Speaker 2: Because if you it reminds me of that do you use the bathroom in front of each other topic that we talked about a few weeks ago, or it was like, oh my god, you what said both sides of the question. Yes, you're a lunatics, right, both sides right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I had that very conversation with a woman, and well, I'll look at it from the other side with the dog thing to be more pro that side. I realize you would be resentful about the dogs on the floor and doesn't isn't it bed with you anymore? You'd be you would hate that every night, you'd be a little resentful that the dog can't get in bed.
Speaker 2: Is now, really you love the dog and this person has hurt the dog's feelings.
Speaker 1: Or having to take your boring road trips without the dog in the car because you love it so much. So yeah, I don't know. That's just where they're way way, way, way way more pets. There's all kinds of data around this way way way more pets, and we spend way more money on pets than anybody probably has in the history of the world. But that is a huge dividing line. And I know my son's a hardcore He'll never be in a relationship with somebody who's going to want to have a dog in the bed or in the car, and that eliminates I told him, I said, I understand because I feel the same way. But I'm telling you, you're cutting out like half the chicks available out there by taking that stance. It's a tough one. It is a tough un like half. I mean seriously, not exaggerating. It might be half. A college girls have a dog that they expect to sleep in the bed and ride in the car with them. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it looks stressful to me, the dog everywhere lifestyle. I mean a grocery store, I'm in a hardware store, I'm at a restaurant. I don't want to be dealing with a dog.
Speaker 3: What about a small dog.
Speaker 1: But it's first dog, Paris Hilton dog.
Speaker 2: Eh, that's better because the thing's unlikely to cause any problems. But and again, this is like you said, it's not I'm not judging anybody or saying you're wrong. I'm right. It's just interesting that I just it looks stressful to me trying to, you know, control your dog in a restaurant or a bar or whatever. Judy and I we used to go up to our mountain cabin pretty regularly, and frankly, getting.
Speaker 1: Backster ruined it.
Speaker 2: Not ruined it completely, but he upped the stress because he would puke a lot, so he had to change his feeding schedule, and then he was hungry, and then you know, have to drive super carefully then get up there and feed him, and then you know, we we'd go off for long hikes. Well he would whimper and cry and he wanted to come, and I was like, all right, now we're walking in dog, we're not lost hiking, and we got to watch him because there are snakes and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: And it just.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not like I lack the capacity to love or anything. Please ask me about my children. I just don't get how it's not more stressful for people as most a pleasurable. But again to each thrown.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but my only point really is I don't understand why this hasn't become more of a conversation because it is such a red line. It should be. I think it should be like an all dating profile website stuff like that. It should be like the very top line. I take my dog everywhere. A lot of people say you have to love dogs. Okay, I love dogs, Oh yeah, I absolutely love dogs. Don't want them ride in the car with me, and I don't want them in the bed. So then we might know, just kind of have at the top line everybody one hundred percent no on dogs sleeping in bed or one hundred percent always. I will be miserable the rest of my life if my dog doesn't get to sleep in bed. See don't ways to I'm with each other. I guess m he's down that road.
Speaker 2: No dog in the car, But like, for how about just your your running errands or something.
Speaker 1: I don't want a dog in a car. I don't understand. Why would wand up other people?
Speaker 2: Can you hate dogs and you hate people who permit it?
Speaker 1: What's the upside of bringing the dog in the car? The dogs to come and.
Speaker 2: Stick his nose out and smell stuff and oh his ears flap and it's just fantastic.
Speaker 1: That's fine again if you like it. I just don't want to do it. And so the problem being is everybody, whether you're a pro or anti, you've cut the dating pool like in half, which is already hard. Now you cut it in half.
Speaker 2: You rather end up with a woman who lets her dog sleep in the bed or a dude. It's about a coin flip for me.
Speaker 1: God, I honestly feel like I could. I could. I could.
Speaker 2: Is he kind of pretty and effeminate looking?
Speaker 1: I don't know, right are Can we just not have sex and just be happy together?
Speaker 2: Just be buddies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm ever east to the dog things.
Speaker 2: Stay on your half of the bed, all right, pal, All right, then at least you're not at all.
Speaker 1: You gotta wear sweats warming nudity. Fair enough.
Speaker 3: What about a girl that has a small dog and a baby stroller dressed up, pushes it around everywhere.
Speaker 1: And it's so disappointing because you meet somebody and they're so nice and everything, every single other aspect of it. But I just I'd have to be hypnotized to not be resentful at some point that I'm trying to sleep with the dog in the bed.
Speaker 2: Well, and there are a lot of married couples I don't know what percentage, but that sleep separately sometimes as they age. Maybe it's snoring or sleep problems or stuff like that. A lot of tossing and turning. Could you see that? Maybe I prefer not to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could do that. Maybe that's the answer on that one.
Speaker 2: Like I said, yeah, enjoy the rein to your games. You ever a little squeeze and say it's a sleepy time, you and the dog.
Speaker 1: Enjoy yourselves.
Speaker 2: I'm heading to Joe's slumber palace right down the hall. If you need something yell.
Speaker 3: You don't need to drive with the dog, Just have one of your kids stick their head out the window the whole time.
Speaker 1: I like it. If you need something yell heading somebody broke in, I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Slumbering over here.
Speaker 1: Have the dog look into it.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it.