Speaker 1: Howard, my dad was tebowed by an utility vehicle and isn't surgery. Now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really great that you're getting him the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected and turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Ankin, and I'm here to help if you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for in a car truck to write your accident called three one two six million injury law made personal. That's aken law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Sox Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hey, White Sox director, you're hitting Ryan Puller, who was in Arizona, as are most of the recent twenty twenty six White Sox draftees. I know you just said that it's better to talk about now than at the draft, but let's rewind to the draft just as kind of for the sake of like an intro. Like you get referenced a lot by Mike Shirley. When we're doing these calls, can you kind of describe like what type of where you try to fit in role wise between like making your own evaluations, providing view of like how these guys might develop, you know, trying to facilitate scouts, Like I imagine it's like a lot of different you know, complexities or competencies that you're trying to apply here and not necessarily like, hey, I like this guy, so when yours kind of how you how would you describe it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Man, I love the draft. It's one of the most comprehensive but fun parts of the year. And it really starts months before we get to that room where Matt Grabowski, our R and D team is going through sending names my way, and what I'll then do is try not to read any reports about them, look at the swings, all the information we have, and I'll go through kind of make my own notes of what I see, what we could work on based off their skill set, and then all kind of go through and rank the guys without knowing outside what people are ranking them as, and then go through filter it with what our scouts are seeing, go through all the reports, and then kind of make my tiers of the guys that we want to go after, and from there really good conversations with any everybody who's seen them before, but suls our scouts, they do such a good job of preffing these guys out ahead of time to make sure that we're not going through just numbers on numbers. It's really targeted the guys we want to attract and then go after. And then once we get in the room for draft week, it's a ton of fun to debate, go through what the scouts have seen, what we may be missing from the information we have, and then we get into the room whittle it down to the guys we really want to target, and then you see how it unfolds and it's a ton of fun.
Speaker 4: What makes it fun for someone like you? It seems like it could be, you know, enormously stressful. Something scouts evaluate themselves their entire year based off how three days go. What wom makes it enjoyable?
Speaker 1: And you want to be incredibly respectful of what the scouts do. This is years upon years. A lot of these scouts have relationships with these guys dating back to when they were in middle school, freshmen in high school, so making sure that you're getting the full picture. But what's so fun is at the end of the day, we get to bring in twelve hitters to our organization to make it even better. So really want to be diligent about who we target and then try and go after to make sure that they're lining up with the values we have and the people we want to bring into So not just the skill sets, but also we've talked about the culture that Will has created, the type of guys that gets you in the front office go after. We want to make sure that they're going to come in and fit the type of people we want to attract. So more than anything else, you get to look at these are really skillful players that we get to bring in the organization and just continue to rise that tide.
Speaker 4: Maybe this winds up bleeding into your anecdotes, but you know, at least for you know, the top candidates, with the three candidates for the top pick, you know, with the chelawski, Emerson, and Lackey, you know, you're able to kind of bring them in to the you know, stadium for workouts, assessments and also just like other you know, targets, you have what sort of measurements whether it's like maybe something qualitative you're looking for in those instances or objective stuff. Do you really try to like value a lot or really key in on you know, when you have a chance, like have these guys you know in houses targets before it.
Speaker 1: The beautiful part of the draft each year is the information that not trust the White Sox are collecting, but when guys go to the combine and you're able to get Hawkeye data, so the information that we have to make really intelligent decisions off of is just totally different than what it was in the past. Or rather than looking at a swing and saying, nah, there might be bat speed, we're now able to know exactly what percentile they're going to be in in college, what's that relative to the big league. So we're making much better, more informed decisions. But each workout that guys come to rate Field is a little bit different. So Rock was more of sitting down at launch the conversation we have with him rather than the workout. But other guys, Land and Tony last year we had them for a workout at rate We're able to collect all the information using Hawkeye, so we're able to literally get every piece of information from the on field workouts, and that's been an unbelievable resource the last two years for us to have and make really good decisions off of. But yeah, the Von Lackey unbelievable, Grady Emerson, the type of interview he gave an Arizona at the combine. These guys, all three of them quality quality people who are going to be really good big leaguers.
Speaker 4: So there's that awesome you know, Jesse Rodgers, P's and ESPN about kind of your guys process and you know how it kind of went down to the wire, just you know, from your suspective, well and how close a bit was a call at top one or how much you know, how close were they kind of all bunched together and what ultimately kind of was you know, some separating skills that you know, Rock brought to the table for you that really, you know, is kind of top of mind.
Speaker 1: Extremely difficult decision, and you look back just that history of the college guy versus the high school guy and how it's played out over the years, and obviously each decision is going to be a little bit different, but you want to make sure that you're looking at the high school guy the right way. You're looking at the college guy. Okay, what's it going to look like in three years if it were Apple's taples here? But more than anything else, trying to treat it as both these guys are incredibly talented, what do we think we can do with them? And the thing we talked about, especially on the hitting side, is there's a training age for each guy. So one hitter maybe twenty one, another guy might be eighteen. But when it comes to how much they've trained, how much information they have, what adjustments are they able to make. We really thought that Rock had so much upside where it's obviously he's been one of the best college performers there has been, but we felt like talking with him, like, man, there's a lot more that we could build on with Rock here. So we felt like although he was older age wise, the training age was a little bit lower in the resources that were able to provide for him, give him a little bit more feedback, target an instruction. We feel like the sky is really the limit for him and he already has a really high floor.
Speaker 5: Tod Father, are you hitting some games this summer? What's the deal?
Speaker 6: Of course? And it's real simple. Scottie Braun. You know how it is. You go to seat geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark in stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go to a beautiful game of baseball.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea Geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events. So go check it out right now. FTFAM. The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at se geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 4: So I think it's I was equipping about it a little bit, and I think it's a lot of it's kind of reflective, like maybe the age of like how paramount player development is now and how essential we think of it as you know, whenever you're acquiring anybody trade or a draft, it's like, well, what is the plan of the or for him? But it did strike me, I have I've never covered one one before, but this seems like probably more than past years of how much you hear we can get this guy better on the day one coming in as opposed to like this is a finished product. This is you know, how quick he's going to get the majors. It's something certainly it's been tagged to Rock as well. So what was kind of what's kind of what you really like when you talk about like we really think there's a lot upside. What's kind of the tools that are present here that you know you really like, you know right off the bat, but also kind of where you see that there's a lot of runway for him to get better.
Speaker 1: It's a huge credit to Getsy for getting Rock to Chicago for that visit too, that's been well publicized now, but for him to spend a ton of time with Chris, which Josh Barfield with myself getting launch and then getting to talk with him asking him, how do you train, what resources have you had, who are the people you really rely on in your life when it comes to hitting. So got a really good idea of what he valued, what we could do, and then talk about it together. So that's the really cool part when we were sitting down of like, let's throw it out there. Here's what we see, and especially what we talked about a lot is okay, people are going to talk about mechanics. We feel confident that just from the training we do, different positions we could put you in, that stuff is going to clean up on its own with a lot of the guys that we have acquired or drafted. Putting a plan in place, that stuff kind of irons itself out. But more than anything, the thing we talked about with him is the before two strikes. And with two strikes, a lot of college guys have that two strike position they'll get into and they don't know that literally half they're at bats is going to be in two strike counts. So making sure that looked at the numbers, here's what we saw before two strikes. Like most hitters, those are the most productive spots in terms accounts and then with two strikes here where you were at and it was probably lower than he thought he was. So rather than going pre two k and then with two strikes a whole different setup loading pattern, let's just go before two strikes and that is your swing. We want you taking it before two strikes, with two strikes and then, more than anything else, just talking about approach with rock. Okay, here's what they're going to try and do to you. Here's what they did at the end of the year. How do we keep it in a spot where do the pitches have to start for you to then maximize the spots you do damage on. So more than anything else, it's the same plan we talk about with guys. Put a plan in place for you to move efficiently, approach that maximizes where you do damage and lets you take the spots you need to and then let's go train it. And it's been awesome even this past week in Charlotte for four days and now in Arizona, putting that plan into place and you see really good progress already.
Speaker 4: What jumps out of you and seeing him kind of put that in place.
Speaker 1: He is all these guys at draft camp, how quickly they're able to make adjustments, and to their credit, we've kind of thrown them in the deep end here. So rather than Okay, we're going to spend draft camp getting to know you, we spend a lot of time watching a ton of video collecting hawkeye information. So when they came here, they got a card and it was here's your plan. Here are the drills we want to see. Give us feedback as we go through, and we talk about leveling up. So they go through their flips, their darts, and then it's okay, after fifteen minutes, we're going to do something very challenging and let's see where it breaks down. And these guys have been awesome, but like all the guys here rock you give a quick fix. Okay, here's why that happened, here's the adjustments to make, and boom, he's able to make those adjustments really quickly. And the big league guys, we call it calibrating, like we always want to be calibrating in here, constantly calibrating, like the game is going to have you make adjustments constantly. So that's the thing we got to be able to do.
Speaker 4: There's I feel like a line of like baseball hardcore data argument that like all two strike approaches aren't worth it, that the diminished amount of impact isn't worth the improved contact. I imagine you are less maybe extremist, but you know also are probably aware of kind of like that those type of uh, you know, what's data studies that have been done or stuff like that. Are you more if it's case by case, are you more? Maybe it's less making physical adjustments that dampen the impact your swing and more about approach adjustments that you can kind of do to get what you were trying to get out of a two strike approach without less than an impact. What's what's your overwriting philosophy on you know, two strike approach which probably you know has a lot of exceptions because you individualize everything exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, each case is going to be different, but you alluded to it perfectly. It's not just one thing, right. There's a lot of options we have when it comes to two strikes. A lot of guys will just go to the physical one, where it's takeaway movement, widen out, understand the idea there. For the guys who do do that, we say, if that is fifty percent of your plate appearances with two strikes you need to be training at fifty percent of the time too, And usually there's a disconnect there where they take their normal pre two k swing ninety nine percent of the time in the cage and then when it comes game time in the most pressure situation with two strikes, when you're back is up against the wall anyways, then they're testing it out. So we want to make sure if it is a physical adjustment, we're stress testing it and training. But more than anything else, what we talk about with the guys is before two strikes, that's plan A. That is, when we are on the hunt, we are looking to get a pitch over the middle to hit hard on a line. But when we do get to two strikes, and that's going to happen at least forty to fifty sixty percent of the time, we want to make sure that those adjustments are present. So now it could be the thought of let the ball travel a little bit deeper. Our ball flight rather than high through the gaps is going to be now lower, we're able to have more barrel control. So for each guy, it's a conversation of is it a physical adjustment is a mental adjustment? Approach? And then being able to stress testing and training is what we want to do before we get out into the game, and it's a two strike count where we're trying to do something new.
Speaker 4: So we talked earlier this year about Cale Vannomer and about how this year is kind of interesting for him because I haven't looked at the numbers recently, but he's getting like thrown more sliders in fastballs. He's basically being pitched like he's a you know, a middle of the order major leaguer in a playoff series almost, And if he was a draft prospect, he'd probably be like, oh, the contacts really backed up this year after like his breakout season. So in that context, how did you kind of view Rock's junior year versus sophomore year, Because obviously he has the great sophomore season and everyone kind of pegs him as a number one overall prospect, and then the junior numbers are extremely good, but they don't they're not quite as good as the previous year. But he's obviously getting pitched like a guy who just was to look like the best player in the country year before. How did you what were your takeaways from, you know, viewing those years side by side, and you know, maybe with the view of the player that you came out with as a result.
Speaker 1: You said it really well, like still an unbelievable year that he put together. And obviously it would be amazing if every year year one is better than your two when you just keep stacking. But obviously, like there's learning that it's going on, and for all these guys, it's new pitchers that you're facing, more travel, just a lot of new things are thrown at you, and we want these guys to be able to make adjustments. But the cool part, and especially when you look at like Caleb Bonnamer last year at a lower level, he did show really great contact skills. He's moving up levels, he's being pitched two differently where we see that comes down, but man, another skill shines even more with that damage this year where he's able to hit balls incredibly hard on a line. So we have obviously, James, we've talked about decisions, contact damage. Each guy has a different flavor. Most big leaguers have two out of three above average skills. So making sure that we see with these guys and Rock obviously shows like really strong decision making. You see, Okay does have the ability of when they throw it in the zone over the middle, puts the ball forward and hits it really hard on a line. So looking at those years, rather than just looking at the raw numbers, being able to look at the skills and seeing how they held up to And obviously he's going to be one to one. Everybody's going to know him as he goes through. He's going to be pitched to a little bit differently, kind of what Bonhamer is going through now that he's a top prospect hitting over twenty home runs right now at this point of the year. So again, helping them understand it's a two zero count, You're probably not going to get a fastball right down the middle. How do we prepare for that and still stay in our zone. So, more than anything else, that's a fun part of these guys learning and helping them make adjustments.
Speaker 4: He obviously faced a lot of like try to bust him in his hand, like not let him get his arms extended. You know, as a junior year, what kind of adjustability do you see in the swing that gives you kind of optimism of him to kind of getting better at handling that as he progresses.
Speaker 1: Man, everybody talked about, you know the arm bar that's there, feel really good about where he is. The really cool part that Rock has is a lot of guys who do have arm bars that are it's detrimental to them because the arm stays stuck back. But what Rock is so good He's able to have some lead arm adjustability to suck the hands in when the ball is running out of space inside. But then he also has length to stay through. But more than anything else, you see a guy who's at his best turning the bat from back of the zone and it stays through the zone all the way through. And we've talked about the home run he hit at Globe Life too. We had hawkeye from that too, and we're able to kind of put skeletal overlays of here's a really good swing and he's looking at it like, man, that's one of my favorite swings. So we already had kind of a swing signature of what it looked like when he thought he was at his best, which was really cool. And then to show him like here are the things that we really value. You're able to do this consistently, get into those spots man, like the rest takes care of it. So so more than anything else, they're going to try the four quadrants, the ride fastballs at the top of the zone, death breaking balls down, and then two seam running in, sweepers running away, and more than anything, making sure that they're starting in spots that you can handle and with rock they'll go inside a little bit and then try and pull you off the plate later. Making sure you have a plan going in because we're not going to be able to cover everything.
Speaker 6: Howard, my Land was keypoing by an utility vehicle on the surgery.
Speaker 4: Now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really great that you're getting in the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected, in turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Akin, and I'm here to help if you are a loved one. I haven't heard at work for a car truck to rite your accident called three one two six million, Andrey law made personal that's aken law.
Speaker 4: So you referenced Land and Tomy earlier and getting kind of objective measurements, you know, the whole rundown. What what kind of stood out to you from that process, and you know, how is it kind of compared to now being up faced with the real thing, you know, both in Charlie and Arizona about you know what kind of maybe what maturation we've seen since then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Landon came in young, a year younger than everybody that we had last year at the workout. So you saw immediately that the guys are getting ready to get drafted. He's still got a year ahead. But the hit tool man is really there, like the bat path is special. The ability to hit breaking balls, to hit fastballs, like this is a really advanced hitter. And when you look at him and say, this guy puts a lot bit more weight on, get stronger, like the normal development for a high school player. We already have a really strong hit ability. And then you project out what's it going to look like a year from now after he's crushing it in the weight room, two years from now when he's getting more experience under his belt. And what we talked about with Landin too, thinking about, Okay, the guys that you're at draft camp with, there's three high school guys, the rest are college. He's able to hit with them. And now think of three years of us training at this level, like we are here, three years of you crushing the weight realm, Like, it's going to be really exciting when you put the innate skills he already has with the development physically, he's going to be a really special one.
Speaker 4: This is probably only the first, probably of many amateur scouting takes I'll throw at you, But like something in watching land and video today is like seeing like his upper half and lower half he kind of like coils in a way that's pretty in sync with each other and also pretty compact already. And you know, given you're talking about him adding strength, it seems like there's you know, pretty good stability there, you know, even without that at this point, what kind of about whether it's that or you know, something that's actually you know makes sense. What about his operation gives you optimism? You know when you mentioned like not just the performance of the hitability, but kind of like the way it works making it look sustainable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talk about the lower body in the upper body, those are always areas you're looking at and how do they work together? Like are there reciprocal movements? We see a lot of young guys they might be looking for power, and they have a humongous leg kick, but their upper bodies very static. And still there's two different parts there. There can be easy disconnection with land in it is a SYNCD up move, like the lower half complements the upper half really well. He gets to a strong base position at launch where he's able to be adjustable and he's rarely off balance. So like those things right there, you look at good decision maker. When they throw it over the heart, he's able to put it forward, and then as he gets stronger, those are naturally going to be those doubles in the gaps and the home runs that find a way out. But really really advanced hit or the hit ability understanding of Okay, fastball at the top, I'm gonna have to flatten out a little bit. Okay, depth breaking ball, I'm gonna have to get under it, keep it on a line to the outfield.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: So, in terms of how to combat different pitches coming at him, has a really great idea of how to do that.
Speaker 4: He like what's kind of the difference between maybe what his initial intake camp is going to look like versus rock you know both obviously the physical component of what you want to develop is different. But even when you're talking about like prescribing, you know, the drills that you want guys to do, is that is that vary a lot between the college and you know, high school hitters, or is it something kind of as tailored to you know, every individual.
Speaker 1: Love Draft Camp in Charlotte, you get them for the force. Four days we fly out to Arizona. We continue building. The main priority here is creating habits that are going to help them once the bridge camp games start or they go to an affiliate. So more than anything, these guys schedule schedule wise, have the same setup daily. Now within that schedule, they have their own cards of here are the drills you're working on based off the movement solutions we're trying to build upon. So Rock's card is going to be different than Landon's is going to be different than Brandon Holcomb's. But all these guys are going in. It's fifteen minutes of drill work, fifteen minutes of something very challenging, and all these guys are going through. But the way we're able to individualize with the cards, the drill sets, the different bats and balls that these guys are using, makes it really cool. Within the half an hour they are in the cage before we go to the field. They're doing the same type of environments and setups, but how they're going about it is totally different. So it's really cool to have them all together, whether you're a high school guy or college guy, but still having it the everyone together, but your work is very individualized.
Speaker 4: Col Proseek you guys obviously valued them very highly based off you know, he's a rich young man, but he looks like some maybe somewhat some of the land and probably more older and filled out, but similar in the sense that like it doesn't seem like there's a big move to get to you know, the impact that he's already showing what kind of stood out about you about you know, kind of very exciting, you know, present tools for such a young inn, but also kind of the room to where there's still some ceiling to unlock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with Cole, this is one that the scouts were really excited about. I was really excited about the swinging Sherman Johnson as well, and then Phil Nevin, knowing him pretty well, was really excited about Cole. So we were watching him the whole time. We really feel like between he and Landon. We got two of the best high school bats in the draft here and another advanced lefty swing, really cool batpath with him, like has the ability to get vertical and stay through the zone so long, and we're seeing that out here with his ability, especially in Arizona to go pull the pole on a line where it's not a lazy flyball getting out of the Arizona fan air is hard line drives that are going to almost go through the wall. So he's been incredibly impressive. A really mature kid that wants to be challenged, wants feedback, wants to be coached, so he's going to fit in really well. But yeah, he is a physical one with an advanced bat path and getting those challenging reps, he's able to make adjustments quickly.
Speaker 4: He's at least I think the ding on him was supposed to be, you know, having a bit more expansion than others or at least like showing a little bit in some you know, showcase environments. Just what I know, we've talked so much about kind of what the you know, different swing decision tools you guys have for training, but what maybe stands out about where you guys can make progress with with Cole, and you know what k you can offer him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hit it well. So contact and damage, we're definitely on Cole's side. So when we looked and what we've already talked about with him is that his ability to touch the baseball sometimes leads to expansion out of the zone. His main focus is improving the decision making, Like, man, take a pitch on the edge, you're going to force them over to the middle more and that's where you do your damage. So we have the med ball back there to be able to make good decisions. If it's not going to hit the med ball, don't swing. If it's going to hit the med ball, swing, They're going to get reports after every game. So, more than anything else, letting him know that, man, your superpower is you can make contact all over and hit it really hard on a line, but as you go up levels, that's going to become harder and harder to do on pitches that are on the black to off the plate. So making sure that we stay within the strike zone. But more than anything else, helping him understand of you already got really good skills, We're going to build on top of that with really good decision making.
Speaker 4: Something that you know, Mike Shirley said, you know, it's kind of a different department as far as like, you know, defensive position and all that, but saying that, like they felt that Bat was mature enough that you know, if they wanted a defensive assignment that would match that, you know, in terms of like catching the longer path. So from your perspective, just like how advanced, Like do you see this as like a more you know, quick rising profile than like maybe the typical, you know, nineteen year old guy coming out of high school.
Speaker 1: You see it with the Bat, He's very advanced already. The fun part about this is we're going to be able to see and what we talk about with the guys is like video games, like we've talked about before, James, like, each level is a challenge. You want to go to that level and meet the challenge and show that I'm ready for that next level. So all these guys know, it's not hey, get out of Arizona, go to Cannapolis. It's get to Kannapolis, beat that level, and on and on we go until we get to Chicago. Helping the team. But given where he's starting is really exciting for a high school guy, and we've thrown a lot at him and challenge the heck out of him so far, and he's responded really well. So looking forward to seeing him meet those challenges.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you about Wine Gardner because I saw him at Super sixty in January, and you know, Combine is a very tantalizing place to see this guy. He kind of just does everything physically well that they test out further there. But obviously him being a two way player, it's probably a little less polished on the on the hitting side, and you know, you can see the potential for big time impact, but you know, watching video like the Hit Tool, seems like maybe there's still room to take advantage of you know how much athleticism he really has in the box, more than he's even got to But what what what kind of excites you about this project? What made you like a big advocate for you know, someone who's you know, obviously come out of high school. There's there's a bigger link there. But maybe you know isn't as you know, polish as a hitter as the other two guys are talking about.
Speaker 1: Man, we are so excited to have Alex Wine Gardner. A huge credit to Matt Grabowski and the acquisition team. Really high on him. The decisions to contact the damage really in a strong spot, especially for a guy from the Northeast like man, we get some really good reps on him. This guy is going to be a stud. You talked about the athleticism he flies. The plays he's making in center field, even just in practice is so impressive. And if you were to bring him in have no idea who he was, you would think this guy went through three years of college. I mean just how physical he is already, So like all high school guys, going to have to make adjustments, but from the skill set that we're starting from, the athleticism, the ability to make quake adjustments this guy to get him where we did in the draft just so exciting. So yeah, huge credit to Schryl's forgetting that done where it did, because this guy, you look at him and it could easily be an early round pick.
Speaker 4: Is you know things like how much especially at like this stage, do you feel like there's still especially with the athleticism president is there adjustability and like figuring out what his move is going to be? Is it some how much like is there you know, this is how he swings. It's intrinsity to it versus like, hey, if we feel like this load is a little late, we have a lot of room or we have a lot of physical ability to to adjust it, like is it is it easier to move the clay around at this stage.
Speaker 6: Of the development.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And that is the fun part of draft camp is that we have educational time each day, so we're giving presentations and at this point, now a year and a half into the program being in place, we have plenty of guys to point to, not in the minor leagues, but in the big leagues of Miguel Vargas made this change. Here are the things that Colson had to work on to find a new level of performance. So, whether you're nineteen or you're twenty four twenty five in the big leagues, or you're Randall Gritchick working with Derek Showman and Joel McKeith and making small approach changes, everyone in the organization is working on something. So if you're coming in thinking, hey, I got it all figured out, it's going to be a wake up call. But the credit to the Scouts of looking for guys who are going to fit in really well, who want to be challenged, who want to be coach. These guys have been awesome, but for Alex Weiningardner all the way to the big leagues. We preach being adjustable, being coachable, taking feedback from the game, and like all these guys are going to make adjustments at some point, and really bullish on what he's going to be able to do given where he's starting, and then what we're going to be able to build together.
Speaker 4: So you came out here saying that you had anecdotes from camp. What's what stood out who you're what's what's been either big moments they're kind of like, oh right, this is this is as exciting as we thought it was, or what's been kind of interesting to see so far or implement in the few days you had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these guys are going through the fun part that we do at the end of every round. So they'll take four rounds. The last round off something challenging, two machines side by side, a fastball slider we're alternating through or make saying these guys play an RBI game, so it's bases loaded, one out, how many RBIs can you score? We got Phil Nevin as our referee in the back awarding points. But the caveat is if you hit it up into the turtle where it would be pop out, you go back to zero. Or if you hit a ground ball that would be a double play, you go back to zero. So every day has been a different winner, but man, the guys when it's time to compete, you see a different level of these guys going to and it was the same thing last year with Billy Carlson. He won just about every day in there. But it's been so fun, and you see the guys start drawing at each other a little bit, but you'll see Rocks turn it on a little bit more when that competition goes on where he needs to get that point, he locks in gets it done. But all these guys have been really impressive, and especially the college guys. We have some really physical bats here, Claybor, Debt, Brandon Holcombe, fifth Water, some really really polished bats that are able to just kind of like muscle it around a little bit, which has been really fun to watch as well.
Speaker 4: You mentioned kind of having these examples to point too, was Bargas or you know, Colson, do you even with some of the college. You know guys who have hit for power, but maybe you know the the contact pieces what needs to grow here, Like do you point to or can you point some guys like Kolbe, Shelton or Topino a little bit like are the relevant kind of translations there that you you know, have have made connections with, you know and work with these guys the first couple of days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cool part on their cards, we show them their grades that we had, So here's the grade we had for decisions for contact for damage and they could see, oh, man, I didn't realize the damage was going to be that high, or my decisions were that good, or contact was a little bit lower than I thought. And it leads to the conversations of Okay, that is why we're doing what we're doing in the cage, to make sure that we keep your strengths, your strengths, but then we're able to add on to whether it be just decisions, contact or damage what you need to So it's been really fun to see the guys lean into that and understand, here are the skills I need and then to be able to point to the guys. Last year, it was a year ago that Anthony DiPino was here getting into pro ball, and you fast forward a year and he is doing exceptionally well in DOUBLEA. So we want the guys to look up to the guys that came before them and then share the stories of Anthony Depino here man how much he leaned into I want to use the skinny bat on all of our phone ball challenging drills because I want to make sure my contact stays high. The more we can share that and give them, Hey, that guy, he's fighting to get to the big leagues in Chicago too. That's a really limited number. We got thirteen guys up there. Everybody's fighting for him as we make our way. We want that to really get the guys excited about it, but also understand that it's hard to get up there, and whatever we have available to us resource wise, we want to utilize.
Speaker 4: And this was awesome. As always, I really appreciate you coming on that. Unless you want to tell us where like Rock is playing affiliate wives or anything like that, that's all we had for today, but I really appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 1: He'll be playing in an affiliate can't wait to see.
Speaker 4: Thank you Ryan for that confirmation.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks James,