Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert S.
Speaker 4: Barry's gonna score touchdown swam to the ground by Buddha Banker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back deal.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway in bal Vista see Key your ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast.
Speaker 4: All Red Seats, Rising.
Speaker 5: Up, Tim You, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Take it.
Speaker 3: Ober, Here's Paul Calvici.
Speaker 6: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And Ron Woolfley.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 7: The floor.
Speaker 6: Where oh where are the Arizona Cardinals headed? Well, based on the news today from NFL International, they could be going to London next season to play Minnesota. They could be going to Munich to play Carolina. Good for a guy with the last name of Wolfley, Or they could be going to South Polo, Brazil to play Miami, oh boy. But we're not really talking about the schedule in terms of where for art foul. We're talking about the direction and standing in trajectory of this team right here, right now, the way you finish twenty twenty three as you launch into twenty twenty four, and we've got a big red rage to talk about it. Paul Kelby, c Ron Wolfley soon to be joined by his better half, older brother Craig Wolfley, all presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Polly.
Speaker 1: I'd have to say right now, of those three cities that you just pointed out, I would have to go with Munich. I think if I had my brother Paul, i'd go with Munich.
Speaker 6: How about you, Well, London, we've been there and done that, So it's down to Munich and then Brazil. I'll tell you what. As crazy as they are about football in Germany, and once again they add over a million people in Q trying to get tickets for those NFL games in Germany, the whole Brazil experience would be intriguing because that would be a first of its kind in the NFL to be played the Miami Dolphins in Brazil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that wouldn't be bad either, Pali, when you know it's a consolation prize that.
Speaker 6: Either way, sign me up, Okay, sign me up for the Arizona Cardinals dase based on what we just saw, especially the last month plus of the season, I mean, Ron Wolfy, does it not feel good to have a direction? Does it not feel good to have a foundation? Does it not feel good to once again know you have a franchise quarterback in Kyler Murray?
Speaker 1: Yeah, PAULI, it really really does. It's just amazing to think that the season before. Of course, last year twenty twenty two, they finished four and thirteen, and now here it is twenty twenty three that season and they finished four in thirteen.
Speaker 8: Paul.
Speaker 1: The difference between twenty twenty two is four and thirteen and twenty twenty three is four and thirteen is night and day. And it's all because there is a direction, it's all because there is culture, it's all because there is genuine hope for this football team going forward, and Kyler Murray is right in the middle of it.
Speaker 6: No doubt. It's not only what we saw, it's what we heard, what we heard from a pony, Yeah, I mean I can't wait to talk to your brother, who's an analyst for the Steelers, about what TJ. Watts said after the Cardinals went into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers at their own game, TJ. Watsonying, we got our bleeps kicked. So it wasn't just what you did, it's how you did it. It was the style, and it was the enthusiasm of everyone down the stretch, in particular the head coach. And here's what he said when he was asked, what was your final partying message to the team.
Speaker 9: We've been through a lot of adversity this year, but I've never been more enthused going into an offseason. We found a lot about out who we are and who's going to be a part of this thing. And I'm just really excited to get to the offseason and grow and improve and learn, and as I told him, get on a warpath in twenty twenty four, here we come.
Speaker 6: Nita. Remind you, Ron Wolfley, our marketing mantra only half serious earlier this year when I said a twenty twenty three dip for a twenty twenty four rip, I mean, to what degree are you poised for a big breakout season? Now that they know what they have, Now that they've established what they are, no more of this trying to assess and establish. No. Now you are poised to take the next step as an organization.
Speaker 1: Right Paully. And for me right now, and you know how big I am on culture, But for me, right now, I'm so encouraged because mantiasen Fort and jg they know exactly the kind of player they want to bring into that locker room, Paul. They know exactly the kind of player. It doesn't matter Paul, if it's going to be the holder on extra point and field goal. It doesn't matter if it's going to be a wide receiver or it's going to be a cornerback, or it's going to be a lineback, whatever it may be. They know the type of person they want to bring inside this paradigm known as an NFL locker room. And that to me is culture. It has been established, and the physicality and the toughness and the accountability and the discipline and the smarts and everything they're looking for in a dude. They know what they're going to bring into that locker room, and that to me is the foundation. That's what culture is. It's who we are and how we do things and what we do and now you know the plug and play guy you want to bring in. And I'm in courage because of that foundation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eleven picks in this draft, six in the first eighty or so draft slots. So you have all that, But it is amazing two to me, if you want to add, zoom out that how effective you can be as an NFL team when you have two positions correct, head coach and quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean.
Speaker 6: Look at the Rams right now. They won seven out of eight, they're rolling into the playoffs. They have Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford's a Pro Bowl quarterback. Again, look at an up and coming team like a Houston Texans outfit with Demiko Ryans and now c J. Stroud, Right, you get those two spots, right, It's amazing how you can mask and erase a lot of other deficiencies like the Cardinals did in that final month when Kyler over his final three starts seventy one to ninety nine. That's a seventy two percent completion percentage, six touchdowns, one pick, arguably not his fault because it was Michael Wilson who had a miscommunication, a passer rating of one oh eight, and then he actually almost ran for one hundred yards as well, including that thirty three yard burst in the finale against Seattle. When Kyler's playing like that, you don't need to have the world's best roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right about that, Paul. I mean, honestly, this team should have been four and four with Kyler Murray as their starter. And although you don't want to look at your franchise quarterback and say, wow, we should be a five hundred team, this roster is still in a state of flox, Paul. It's nowhere even close to what it's going to be next year. There were a lot of guys on this team this year that I don't think are going to be here next year, PAULI. And you know, for me, that means an awful lot. You know, Kyler Murray had not played in a football game for almost a year, Paul, yep, and somehow, some way found a way to go out there and be three and five as a starter, but play above my expectation and evolve his game.
Speaker 6: Most importantly, well, you heard what Michael Wilson told us from the locker room after the finale against Seattle. It took time, those were his words. It just took time for Kyler to learn the receivers, for the coaches to let learn the skill sets and the strong suits of the players, for everyone to learn the offense and learn their quarterback. So you have the third youngest team in the NFL and the Arizona Cardinals. They just played the second toughest schedule, right They beat three playoff teams in Dallas, Pittsburgh, in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 6: Also the fact that how many times were they down at halftime and they fought back to either take the lead or make it a one score game. You know, teams in the past would not have competed like that for a full sixty minutes. So that's why Kyler Murray went addressing the media. He said the following about what he's seen so far in this team, in this coaching staff.
Speaker 8: There is a lot so forward too, and you know, I'm excited about it. You know, I know the guys are excited about it. Trust and believe in Moni and JG and what you know, what they got going on, what they're building here, it's complete one, you know, and I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 8: I'm happy, happy in the position that we're in.
Speaker 6: And there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: We asked, We asked Jonathan and about it at the very end of the interview there after the Seattle game, that you are certain that confidence can carry over. Momentum doesn't carry over from one season next, but confidence does. And he answered immediately with a resounding yes. Well, what do you think What is it about that that he means for those who haven't played the game, how is it that confidence can carry over?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, his confidence. I think of Kyler Murray front and center, the guy that you just played that cut from Kyler Murray. Here's a guy where the confidence that he gained from playing under center and evolving himself as a person and evolving this offense. Because of that, the fact that now all of a sudden, you've got him this new offense and this new offensive scheme and the demands are going to put on him from under center, he knows in his heart that he can actually do it. Why because he's done it in a game. He did it and got better every game. If you ask me in regard to playing under center and he evolving that part of his offense, right Now that is the kind of confidence, knowing in your heart you could get that done. Knowing in your heart going into next year, you're you're already gonna master under center, being in the gun, being in pistol. Right now, you've got nothing to fear in this offense. And once you know that, Paul, it changes everything.
Speaker 6: I never thought we would see Kyler under center thirty times in a single game. I never thought i'd see a Cardinals offense rush for over two hundred yards in three of the last four games. Yep, it's amazing when Kyler says a one to eighty. That's in multiple ways. When you talk about the Cardinals from the beginning of twenty twenty three to the end, hey joined the Cardinal season ticket priority list twenty twenty four. Opponents include the Bears, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Lions, Commanders, and of course the NFC West. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash priority list. All right, when we come back, dueling Wolf Lees on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, he.
Speaker 4: Takes turns and off Connor, sprinting to his left, find some room at the twenty. At the fifteenth, closing the ten head into the n SO throning touchdown James Connor from twenty nine yards out. That drive was all about James Connor.
Speaker 1: When you hammer the box, there's going to be a leak, and that was a huge leak from the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 4: Box and off Connor off the right side across the twenty five thirty five forty. He's got one thousand head midfield and steps up there. First one thousand yard season for James Connor.
Speaker 6: So let's see one Pittsburgh import worked out pretty well in James Connor. So we're gonna go to the Steel City for another here because Ron wolf Ley, you're familiar with all the playoff storylines right as we go into the postseason here in the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. Let's see we have Matthew Stafford against Detroit, Mike McCarthy against Green Bay, Tyreek Hill against Kansas City, and Craig Wolfley against his native Buffalo. How about that as we have dueling Wolfles here on the Big Red, you guys might need to identify yourselves before you speak, because folks might get your voices confused. I mean, Ron, you know here we go. Why don't you welcome your brother into the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Craig, how you doing, man?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good? Bro? How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? I truly want to know. How weird is it that you're going to be going back to the park Orchard Park, New York. Is that a little weird for you?
Speaker 2: Well, you know how it is. We grew up two point four miles from that stadium. A lot of dreams, a lot of joy was had as we grew up there, you know, I mean I even played a college game there my senior year in college, you know, when we played University of Miami at then rich Stadium. And I always thought that, you know what, I heard rumors they Bill said that they sign you as a free agent. Well, you know what, it didn't last because Chuck drafted me back in the nineteen eighty and the fifth round. So you know, I never And by the way, when somebody signs your paycheck, it's okay. I was a big Steelers fan then, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: And Chuck, you're talking about the legendary Chuck Nole and you played a decade for the Steelers, So yeah, and you know what, as the Steelers analyst right now, you're real familiar with the highlight. We just heard James Connor, who just had his first thousand yard season. I voted for him as Team MVP because he's more than a player. To me, Craig, He's a mentality, he's a mindset. Just the toughness that he brings. The Cardinals feed off that, and they just finished a season where they had the fourth rank rushing attack in the NFL. You tell us about your experience is what you saw during his Pittsburgh days James Connor.
Speaker 2: You know, I just love the life story of James Connor. His overcoming attitude, his desire to be great was just huge. And I was privileged enough that I got to do a show with him every Tuesday night at the Giant Eagle here and Rob Robinson up in the you know a little bit of ways from my house here, and it was always fun because he was just so engaging. He would you know, was was one of those guys that reaches out to the fans, and the fans reached out to him. How many times did I see pregame James go out and he'd you know, go out early to warm up and he'd see a sign that says I can overcome cancer because you overcame cancer, and he would go up inevitably and give words of encouragement. Love people who pour life into other people, and James Connor is one of those guys that pours life into other people.
Speaker 1: So Craig, you know, speaking of other people too. It's not just obviously off the field that you're talking about. James Connor also impacts a lot of guys in between those white lines, right. It's it's because of how hard he plays, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, he plays so hard, you know, and again overcoming the cancer while he was, you know, coming up for the draft. He's kidding me, you know. I think that the confidence, that the determination when you know, he talks about how he was so weak and so forth that he couldn't do this or that when he first started training for it. I mean, his life story is just an inspiration to anybody that takes a minute or two to read about it and to listen to him talk as he talks with passion. He talks with great confidence and determination. I love the kid. The young man is just an overcomer and he's got my respect as being a real is a real tough guy because you watch him play man, he's all about toughness, but he's just he's a lot of heart.
Speaker 6: Steelers analyst former Steeler Craig Wolfley our guest on The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert So. We asked the head coach, Jonathan Gannon mid season, how much does this team feed off James Conner. He said, I feed off James Connor. That's the kind of impact. Here's what James Connor had to say recently, just on being example for his teammates.
Speaker 7: I think, is it something that comes with it, you know, when you handle your business day in and day out, and then accepting every challenge that comes with it. You know, and always want to be a leader, and you know, eventually you do this thing long enough, you play long enough in the league, that road just comes to you. It just comes with it. And I accept that challenge and responsibility.
Speaker 6: So he's in his prime right now, Craig, And do you combine that with a run first Cardinals offense that features a Kyla Murray who now is at the point where he runs when he wants to. You know, it's not so vital for this Cardinals offense how lethal do you think that makes that this Cardinals offense? Because you saw it firsthand when the Cardinals came in December to Pittsburgh and got out of there with a win.
Speaker 2: No question about it. I mean, that's a one two punch of incredible athletic talent. To watch that talent operate and see where it'll ball to looking forward to seeing what you guys can do with that. The other thing I wanted to add about James too, he does does that leadership thing like it's so natural for him. He wears leader ship like water wear's wet. It's just part of who he is and it comes out and you can see that effect on other guys and what it means to be to have him in the huddle because he really just does a great job doing what he does, whether it's picking up blitz, is catching the ball or busting through a tackle. And now you've got Kyler Murray another guy in there with an incredible amount of athleticism. Yet zooks man, I mean, I wonder what I always wondered, what would be like to have that kind of athletic ability. I sure if I didn't know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, Craig though. What's interesting about this is I think James Connor has an impact, as I said, on other guys around him, but more specifically, I would say, offensive lineman, you blocked for Francoharris. You know, can you relate to that at all? That the kind of impact that a hard running back like James Connor can have on a guy at the point of attack.
Speaker 2: There's no question when you want Franco take that rock and then hit the two trap and he hits a lick and he split runs over somebody, then outracist somebody. You'll love that. You want to be part of it. I remember I'm flow thirty six. Oh my goodness. We get out there and I'm going outside the linebacker and I feel Frank pushing me. He's pushed me from behind, like run faster. I'm like, I'm running as fast as I can, dude. You know. But the fact is you'll love his competitiveness and his determination. And I've always had the greatest respect for people like Franco Herrits again, another guy who his toughness and everything else was legendary, but also his willingness to pour life into other people. He's always about that, you know, And That's where I just came to have such respect for a lot of these guys that I didn't know him when it before I got to the you know, the Steelers, but then you see how they lived their life story, how they they are so involved in community affairs or just in the lives of their teammates, little things that they do, and it was just always it was always known to me that these guys are special.
Speaker 6: Hey, Craig Wolfley is our guest, and you've been around Mike Tomlin his whole Steelers career and we can see him from the outside. But to have seventeen non losing seasons, eleven playoff birsts Now, what is it about Tomlin behind the scenes? Because we've marveled at Jonathan Gannon how he's been able to hit the reset button on culture with the Cardinals. How does Tomlin get it done? What's his formula?
Speaker 2: Leadership and consistency? I mean, this guy is always leading from the front. He's another of those guys that wears water like you know, wear's wet like water wears wet, you know what I mean. He just leadership is what he's all about. And he has the same message. He's always the same. You know, whether you're in the middle of a two to three game losing streak or in the middle of a two three game winning streak. He's all about coming in, getting the work, in doing it, then rolling up the sleeves the next day, coming in doing the work and getting after it. You know exactly where you stand with Mike. I've never left the room with Mike not knowing where I stood with him in a conversation or anything like that. He's just one of those guys that looks right into your eyes, tells you what you need to know or you know what he's doing, and then that's it. And you appreciate that as a player when you have I always thought, and Ronnie, I think you know you probably back me up on this consistency of messaging from the head coach. Yeah, because when you if you've got a guy that stands up there and he's leaking if you know what I mean, uh, you know, And whether it's character or integrity, you know what I mean, Yes, you have no respect and that changes how you view things. But Mike Tomlin is a guy you got ultimate respect for and he leads from the front.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Greg totally agree with everything you just said right there. Let me ask you about the Buffalo Bills, your opponent coming up here in the playoffs. You're going back towards your park. Of course, the Steelers are playing the Bills. Tell me about what you see with the Bills.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know what everything begins and ends with Josh Allen. You know this guy is He's accounted for eighty six percent of the touchdowns scored by the buff Bills in twenty twenty three. When you put on the tape, you see the excellent athleticism. You see his ability to strong arm the throws and make touch throws, his ability to get out on the fringe and extend plays. He's going to make life difficult, very difficult for the Steelers. Now. The one thing about it is you've got weather forecast in up there that makes it non conducive to throwing the ball. Quite frankly, well, you know what he's kind of used to that, you know, the weather, be it big wins or whatever. He can judge those. It's going to be a little bit different from Mason. But you know, coming from the Baltimore game, which was a winner, typhoon there for crying out loud, he's got a franchise record of completing eighteen of twenty passes. I think he's gonna be able to adjust fairly quickly. But they've got a good running game. You've got Stefan Diggs on the outside. You got a two tiered tight end with Knox and Kincaid that're doing a great job. There, a good offensive line, you got some good defenders. They've got some people that are a little nicked up. It's gonna be, I think, a great opportunity for the Steelers to go in there. You've got to be able to run the ball, because you can't run the ball at these guys. If you give Josh Allen too much time of possession, he'll run you out of them, not just out of the stadium, but out of the state. You know, if you part of the problem is when you're down at TJ. Watts, that's significant. That's a huge hit for the Steelers defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt. He is out of this game. Yet the Steelers have a three game winning streak behind Mason Rudolph. Is it as much about Mason Rudolph or the fact they finally found their run game with Jalen warn and Najie Harris.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a combination and Mason. Here's the thing that I love about Mason. You know, you go back to when he was drafted, I believe it was twenty sixteen, eighteen somewhere in there. Six yeah, six years or so ago. They when they tested him. One of the things that they had was these psychological profiles. Right, well, his mental toughness is mental toughness was off the charts, they say. And you know what, you see it playing out now because this has been a guy who's been dismissed by you know, some players, by opponents, by the fans, overlooked, sometimes ridiculed, and yet you watched him. He came to work every day and battled and battled and battled, and you see the good things that you know, you hear a lot of times people say, yeah, I got the will to win. Well, do you have the will to prepare to win? You hear some people say yeah, I do that. Well, you know what, this guy hasn't seen a playing field but for one time in twenty twenty one and one time in twenty twenty in between starts. His last start and this start was over seven hundred days. Wow, what's he been doing. You know what he's been doing. He's been preparing, he's been out there getting practice, squad rest, he's been out there doing things. And you know what you see you see him doing. The nuance is a quarterbacking, you know, moving safeties with your eyes, shoulder face, things like that, the little things that you might not think of when you've been overs popped the field over seven hundred days, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Craig, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I thank you, Bro.
Speaker 6: It's outstanding, right, and we had two members on this show right now from the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame, although Ron cannot say that in nineteen eighty one he finished fifth in the World's Strongest Man competition.
Speaker 2: I've knowing my brother he had has out pulled off a fourth.
Speaker 1: That's right. I love you, Bro, Love your bro.
Speaker 2: Loved to the family, dude, step We all love her.
Speaker 6: Okay, there you go, Craig Wolfley, everyone Steelers analysts going up to Buffalo is hometown for that play off matchup. Coming up this weekend, we'll get into some other playoff matchups and the future of the Arizona Cardinals, especially with the off season underway. It's the big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: And they're gonna fake it. It looks like, yeah, they bring Murray back in. They got Prader lined up wide left. Murray takes the snap back in the brow LOFs right side of the cry, part of the back of the end zone. Four touchdown. Tyler Murray on four down grows to the right the cry in the back of the en zone for the go ahead touchdown.
Speaker 1: Let it right, says Jonathan dadd.
Speaker 5: And he knows you're the franchise quarterback. He's a big time leader of this team. I won't tell you all the conversations we have, but he knows. He's the closest thing to me out there. So I want him to operate in a certain way. And he's went above my expectation for what that looks like. And I think he's only continued to get better and we got to get better together and he will so.
Speaker 6: Without Kyler Murray the end of last season, in the first half of this season, the Arizona Cardinals went one in thirteen. With Kyler Murray. You saw what was possible. Win's it Philadelphia, right? I mean, just big performances where he elevated not just the offense, but the entire team. In fact, the Cardinals offense minus Kyler Murray this season was twenty sixth ranked overall, with Kyler Murray ranked ninth in the NFL. And that was with a learning curve still being navigated by Kyler Murray really didn't get into a rhythm until the final three games. It's the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Special thanks again to Craig Wolfley older brother Ron Wolfley, Steelers analysts getting ready to dress in layers for his trip to Buffalo for a playoff game where the Cardinals are looking to the offseason. And what do you think? Look, we've seen every snap of Kyler's career, right, but what do you think Manty ausen Ford and Jonathan Gannon learned first hand watching Kyler in the final eight games of the season.
Speaker 1: That he can play from under center and he can throw the ball from the pocket. Once again, PAULI, this is really really big for Kyler Murray going forward. I remember his cut what Kyler said about this offense going forward before this season started, before training camp, where he said, hey, listen, you know and I'm up for anything right now. I'm paraphrasing what he said, but basically what he was talking about is, hey, listen, if it doesn't work, we have to move in a different direction. And I wasn't crazy about that, BALI when I heard him say that, because I thought, oh, man, don't set yourself up for failure. Right here, Kyler Murray did anything but fail. He should be so encouraged right now Kyler Murray.
Speaker 10: Paul.
Speaker 1: I'm encouraged because I think Kyler Murray is encouraged. He knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he can do everything that this offense and what Drew Petsing and JG want him to be capable of doing. He can do it all. And that encourages me, and it's got to encourage.
Speaker 6: Him, no doubt. I mean, you know, I asked him before the Seattle game about just being under center and how much more comfortable he felt, and he went into a long explanation and along the way he said he had asked for it in the past, which I found surprising, but he did welcome it to the point where he's under center thirty times against Seattle. Not only that, but I just thought he really looked natural by week eighteen, did it not. He's got the ball in the hip, he's got his back to the defense. I mean he's freezing those linebackers for half a second. They're not exactly sure where the ball is. And I think what you heard was complete buying from Kyler Murray. He realizes it does indeed stress a defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does, Paully, And once again, it's because you've got to be capable of doing whatever you need to do to beat your opponent. Some guys, Polly, let me think about it. Some teams front sevens aren't good. They're not good, and because of that, you know what you're gonna do. You're gonna run the ball, attack them in a very north south kind of way, and then you're gonna use play action from under center to burn those guys, and it's going to open up the middle of a field because those linebackers are going to be sucking up on that second level. It look, it's been around since the beginning of football and it works. And because of that, again, you've got to be capable of doing whatever you need to be Sometimes, Hey, listen, it's going to be a situation where they're only going to have five to eight snaps under center because maybe you want to get in a shotgun and you want to throw the ball because you think this team's secondary is not good. Whatever it is, you need to be capable of doing it all. And I think Kyler Murray has learned that he can do it all orchestrated and execute it.
Speaker 6: So going back to your earlier scenario, when you know a front seven isn't good, like, oh, I don't know the Seattle Seahawks, who had been the league's worst run defense of the last half dozen games, coming in, So all of a sudden, the Cardinals go in. They run it thirty eight times for two hundred and six yards five point five four yards of carry. And to your point, this team, this coaching staff, this quarterback is willing to do whatever it takes to game plan accordingly for the weaknesses of the opponent.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pauline, here's the great thing about it too. The butt guts up front. Okay, the offensive lineman, paul They love getting into a Donnybrook on the line of scrimmage. They love brawling on the line of scrimmage. This is who they are. And every time you put that quarterback under center for the most part man. Yeah, the defense kind of knows what it is that you're gonna do. You're basically gonna run five plays out of that. They've watched you on tape. The problem is now they got to start it. And the offensive line knows as soon as you put that quarterback, you put that quarterback under center, the offensive line knows the onus is on them. You're telling them, hey, listen, they know what's coming. Still we demand that you go block it. And that to me, they like that kind of responsibility, Pauli, and it fires me up. It gets me jacked up because when you put a quarterback under center, the defense knows what's coming and I don't care. Now we're gonna run over you anyways. That is a challenge to your offensive lineman and that's one of the reasons why I love it.
Speaker 6: Well, Cardinals got to win at Pittsburgh. You heard the respect Craig Wolfley had in the last segment talking about the combination of a Kyler Murray and James Connor. And here's what the head coach had to say about his franchise, QB.
Speaker 5: I really think sky's the limit. I think that he can hit another level. I know our team can. I know the offense can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean with that guy playing quarterback for us, I know we can win every game.
Speaker 6: And they had that three game stretch towards the end where the receivers weren't getting very involved. But then the final two games it came alive, especially Michael Wilson, right, and he talked at length after the game just about the process. It took time. It took time for the chemistry to develop. Game reps are so critical you can't really replicate it, you know. And then Kyler under center, we talked about that. Here's Kyler Murray just talking about the process of learning to play under center.
Speaker 8: It wasn't too difficult. Had a lot of mental reps in the off season. They prepared me very well, you know, for my time to come back, and so when I when I came back, it was as seamless as possible.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: I think for me, it was just about getting these reps in and going into the offseason, Guy willing healthy and you know, like I said, getting getting ready to roll, you know, next season.
Speaker 6: So, well, where do you think this offense evolves next? You have a full offseason. They've assessed their needs and once What do you expect to see next season with this offense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, PAULI you know, I think in a couple of areas. Number one, I think running the ball even more physically from the shotgun. I think that's something that we're going to see and more of Kyler Murray under center more of now Now, Paul, do I think it's going to be thirty snaps a game? No, I don't think it's going to be that, but I do believe it's going to be a third of the snaps from under center, and that number will vary based once again on who it is that they're playing. But this offense is only going to get better next season. And Kyler knows once again, he knows he doesn't have to guess, he doesn't have to dream, he doesn't have to speculate. He knows he can play from under center and be successful. That is huge because confidence is the currency of competition, and he needs to be confident. He's going to buy and he's going to sell his performance in his production based on his confidence level. And he can be confident with this offense going forward. And you cannot overstate that.
Speaker 6: Ball to me, I think where they get better next season is the big play strike. How many times this season did they miss Hollywood Brown When he was healthy, he was getting open, he was beating man coverage, press man coverage. I mean, he was open downfield, and they didn't maximize him nearly enough. His game film was a lot better than the box score. So whether it's Tylerwood Brown who comes back because he's going to be an unrestricted free agent, whether it's another big play receiver via the draft or free agency, but I'll see this. The Cardinals ended up number one in the NFL in explosive runs. They had twenty three runs of more than twenty yards, And I got to imagine a lot of it has to do with having a Kyla Murray right where defense has to worry about a running quarterback and then someone else gets loose to the second level and rips it for a big run.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it, Bully, And right now they're only gonna build on what he's done. That really gets me jacked off, because I think they're going to evolve big time.
Speaker 6: They joined the Cardinal season ticket priority Lists twenty twenty four. Opponents include the Bears, Chargers, Pats, Jets, Lions, Commanders. A Division For more info, go to ezycardinals dot com slash priority list. Big Red Rage rolls on right after this.
Speaker 4: Snapt to Murray Let's coming urry backing up plus into the end zone the middle of the end zone, pulled in by Wilson for a touchdown.
Speaker 8: I told you all from day one, you know, I watched his Senior Bowl and I was like, yeah, the kid knows, you know, he knows what he's doing. I could tell, you know. And then just obviously he had zero catches two weeks in a row, and that's not you know again, they're not a real representation of you know what I think we could beat. Now we'll get a full off season on our bilt. You know, I think next year, you know, Michael have a big year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you hope. The whole Kyler to Michael Wilson connection and improvement is a harbinger of things to come for the entire team, for the entire offense, because there was that two game stretch there where he had zero catches on seven targets, and by the season finale he had six catches on six targets for ninety five yards and a big game against Seattle, and all of a sudden he was a big play receiver again. Michael Wilson. It's the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, Paul kelvc Ron Wolfley. Down the stretch, we come all in by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santane Ford. So if you want numbers on the rookies, this season, the Cardinals led the NFL with eleven rookies starting at least one game. Those rookies who started combined for an NFL high sixty four starts. The Cardinals are the only team to start six rookies in one game. I mean, well, just this rookie class, whether you were drafted or undrafted. You know, whether you're Starling Thomas or Amari de Mercado, they were critical on either side of the ball. Undrafted guys. How much do you think all these game reps are gonna pay off next season.
Speaker 1: PAULI honestly, I think it's gonna be huge. Whether they're gonna take that next step and be a starter, Paul, or whether they're just going to be a backup next year, whatever it may be. Man, all of those reps that these guys got this year, it's gonna make them better that much. We know you're not gonna get worse because of experience. You're not. It will make them better. How much better, Paul? That remains to be seen right now, and a lot of that has got to do with their talent level, of course, and their toughness. We're gonna have to wait and see how it evolves. But the fact that all these rookies got as many reps as they did, that's never going to hurt a team.
Speaker 6: And you know what, you found out what you have, and now you have a better understanding of what you need in the offseason. Because all these rookies got serious playing times, You're like, okay, are they potential fits on the depth chart or not. With Michael Wilson, I think we all agree that he has serious upside, would you not, Wolf? Just the size, just the smarts, the natural catching ability, the gamesmanship. I mean, how impressed were you with Michael Wilson, No.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it, PAULI I think listen, you talked about it already. The couple of games that he played where he was targeted seven times and had no receptions whatsoever. I thought the last game, of course, was huge for him, almost eclips that one. One hundred yard mark right there. I thought that was really really important for him. But more important, I thought Kyler Murray targeting him as often as he did and throwing the ball to him. It was almost almost like he was saying, listen, I know you're good. Go prove it. Here's your opportunity. Prove it to everybody that's watching. And guess what. Michael Wilson responded. I think there are other guys on this roster as well that will take a big step going forward. And I think Michael Wilson is one of those guys. And I also think Polly Paris Johnson Junior is another.
Speaker 6: And you know what, both guys have one thing in common. They're playing for their quarterback, all right. One is directly protecting him. We'll get to Paris Johnson Junior in a moment. Here's Michael Wilson when we asked him about Kyler Murray.
Speaker 10: I feel extremely responsible to play at a high level for him because I'm playing for his legacy, right being a Heisman Trophy winner, being number one pig, being a franchise quarterback who signed a big contract. He's got a lot of responsibility and I want to make sure I'm playing at a high level to play a positive role in his story.
Speaker 6: That's pretty profound for a rookie. I mean probably I'm emblematic of the fact he went to Stanford right there. But he also said at one point I had earned Kyler's trust. Now, if you're Kyler Murray, you're looking at your right tackle, Paris Johnson Junior, who started every game, played every snap on offense, the only offensive player to do that. What sort of trust do you think Kyler has in that tackle? They got six overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, honestly, I'm hoping that it's the trust that is there. Of course, that was developed this year, It's going to be there next year. But Paul, there's no way in the world Paris Johnson Junior doesn't get better next year. There's I'm sorry, he's not gonna take a step back. He's got all the athleticism you could possibly want. He's got everything you need from a great tackle. And I could build a case that would say, with Kyler Murray as your quarterback, being a right handed orderback, where Paris Johnson Junior as your right tackle, the right tackle might even be more important than the left tackle because of the left tackle is a blind side with Kyler Murray. The right tackle is not the blind side. It's the side that you can see. And because of his height, he's very sensitive to that. He will move around that pocket a lot. If you've got Paris Johnson Junior out there and he's a rock at right tackle, that's gonna bring a lot of aid, comfort and shelter to Kyler Murray. But if there's opponent color flashing in front of Kyler Murray all the time because your right tackle is breaking down, that's gonna move him out of that pocket a whole lot more.
Speaker 6: I mean, think of all the guys he saw this year, because I would talk to Paris about this in the locker room. He saw Aaron Donald twice, Nick Mosa twice. He got TJ. Watt to his side most of the game. A Miles Garretty went against Will Anderson to his side most of the game. He got Montes sweat a lot, Trey Hendrickson, who is number two in the NFL, and sack the Bengals guy all the while. He avoided the rookie wall. He said the last two weeks ain't no rookie wall. I never hit it. I'm good, and so I was really impressed with him from the get go because he was the starter immediately upon being drafted Paula.
Speaker 1: Honestly, right now, if you wanted to give an award to a guy that was the glue guy of the year, you could point to Paris Johnson Junior. For all the reasons you just said. The fact that he played in all seventeen games, He started all seventeen games and did not miss a rep. I mean the fact that he was out there and yeah, was every game perfect? No, was every rep perfect? Of course not. He had his share of mistakes and he's going to learn and develop how to deal with those going forward. But man, Paris Johnson Junior, you could build a case he was the glue. He was the glue on the offensive line, and he was a glue guy for this team in his rookie year.
Speaker 6: So there was an incident at the end of the Steelers game where TJ. Watt got into it with Paris Johnson Junior. I can tell you now I have from reliable sources that TJ. Watt didn't like the fact that Paris was taking him out of bounds every game. Paris tries to take at least one guy out of bounds. It's sort of his calling card, it's his signature thing he started doing at Ohio State. TJ. Watt is like, oh boy, and he fell to the ground immediately and then just started started tussling with Paris because he didn't like the fact that the rookie had him and was sending him out of bounce. And so he plays with that sort of nasty streak. And so now we wonder what the injury to DJ Humphreys in the contract situation, how viable, how likely is it that Paris Johnson Junior could be your starting left tackle next year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, once again, that's going to be really really interesting to see what they do. And then, of course immediately you think of the draft as well. And I'm not going to mention any names because we don't want to go down that path.
Speaker 6: Paulie, Well, there is a Notre Dame tackle in a Penn State tackle, but anyway.
Speaker 1: Right, that's Penn State tackle too. I kind of liked that guy and awful lot and his name is gotten really really cool as well. But having said that again, I think you could build a case why that right tackle is even more important than that left tackle ball.
Speaker 6: Was there another rookie that really stood out to you this year? Whether it was six rounder Dante Still's got a lot of reps in that banged up D line. Garrett Williams, who came back mid season played was an immediate starter at nickel. I mean, was there another guy, Amari de Mercado, a Starling Thomas, anybody else who really stood out to you this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know Bjojealari. Once again, I think he flashed from time to time, Pauli, but he wasn't consistent. And I think getting that first year out of the way is really going to help b j Ojelari, because, yeah, it's great to see him flash here and flash in this game and make a play here and make a play there, But it all comes down to consistence, and Paulie, the one thing I know about Bjojelari is this is a great kid. This is a kid who cares about what it is that he's doing. And because of that, I think he's going to explode next year. I think he's going to get better. He wants to get better, he cares about getting better. He's got some athleticism, he's got the talent, to take that next step. So to me, I'm I'm looking at Bjojelari.
Speaker 6: I tell you what that would be a best case scenario if you're trying to identify one guy who can make that Trey McBride leap from rookie year to year two. What a phenomenal season it was for Trey McBride, set franchise records. Bijo Jelai would go a long way. Considering this team had one sack over its final six games. They need pass rush, they need to get to the quarterback. Hara Mounder. Cardinal's Student Pass allows college students to get in on Cardinal's internships, discounts, networking events, ticket offers, and more. Visit as cardinals dot com slash Student Pass. All right, special thanks Jim Almahondro Cody Fincher, Ali Narini for Craig Wolfley. We had dueling wolf Lees on this edition of The Big Red Rage on Paul calBC for Ron Wolfley. We've been presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. Right on the price, Right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek your ticket to great seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club