Speaker 1: He's time to say your legs the girls by we will sit you.
Speaker 2: In tow's the gunners.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Wednesday, April nineteenth on the Just Baseball Show. It is the mail bag where we answer all of your questions, whether that be from our Twitter at just Bbie, Underscore Media, or our Instagram at Just Baseball Show. We do this every other Wednesday. Arm and I hop on the mic answer all of your amazing questions that you left for us on those social media pages. Make sure if you want to be featured on the Just Baseball Show to leave your questions When we dropped a little mail bag post. It's kind of rudimentary, but it works and we get hundreds of questions. They're all awesome. We wish we could get to all of them, but we have seven. We are going to do a little kind of look at the odds of bet MGM right because we're weirdly enough. Dude, we're ten percent through the season so far, which is insane. I feel like it just started eight minutes ago. So we're gonna look at some division odds see if there's any value answer some questions. But first Hunter Green gets hit on the leg and to start against the Reds or excuse me for the Reds on a start against the Rays and you know what the Reds do. You're fine, We're gonna give you six years, fifty three million. What was your reaction arm to the extension.
Speaker 2: I think I think they just felt bad. They had like a booboo. They wanted to make them feel a little better. But now it's awesome. It is. It's good when the notoriously cheap and frustrating teams extend their young stars. And while it's only two years on top of the years of control, so it'll be one more year of control and then a club option after that, so it buys the Reds two more years. It also gives Hunter Green some much needed, you know, financial stability. Just I think that all of these players need to have in the early going of their career, especially someone like Hunter Green that's dealt with some arm issues in the past. I think some people might look at the deal and say, oh wow, that baseline is really cheap, but it has escalators that bring it up to ninety plus million, and I think it's a fair contract given his injury history. When he's healthy, he's fantastic. He's been pretty healthy over the last couple of years. Overall, he's had just some small flare ups. But it's just good to see the Reds start to lock up the core because we've talked about their talent, they're getting there, start to identify the pieces that are part of your future and lock those guys up. So that's exciting for Cincinnati and hopefully Reds fans have something to be happy about.
Speaker 3: And I hope they'll Nickelodolo even though as we're speaking right now, six earned runs against the Rays. It's all right, the razor crazy. Yes, he just gave up six earned against the Rays and we're like in the third inning, so that could be a tough start. But he's a guy you have to lock down. Gray Ashcraft is a guy you have to lock down. One more good news and then we're going to get to two things that are rather shitty to be honest with. So the first one, while we already talked about hundred green, the second one Mason Miller of the Oakland A's the sun is shining in the Bay Area for once, because Mauson Miller is a freak and the A's just vaulted him up because he already looks like a big leaguer.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he was a guest on the call up. I highly encourage and he wants to go listen to that podcast that was before the season. Miller as one of the coolest stories, which is going to be featured on Just Baseball dot com. Actually right now, by the time you're listening to this, the feature story I wrote in my conversation with Mason Miller is up. And he didn't find out I want boyo with all of it, use We've got a lot to talk about here. But he didn't find out that he was a ty one diabetic until his sophomore summer at Division III Waynesburg get Is sevent era. Through his first two years of Division one baseball was down thirty pounds and was like, what the heck is going on? I don't feel good. I don't feel right. And it wasn't until he had an internship with a health office somewhere where he had to provide a urine sample where they were like, hey, do you know that you're diabetic? And he's like what, So that's how he found out treated that and then all of a sudden starts throwing up her nineties so it's an awesome story. But now you're seeing him at the big or at the minor league level, professionally, he looks insane. I talked to a couple guys that faced him recently in Triple A who said, best fastball I've ever seen. And they told me that a couple big leaguers on that team that are now down in Triple A said it was the best fastball they've seen and they were playing in the big leagues not long ago. So that says a lot about Mason Miller. More on him in that story. But if you have some free time tonight as you're listening to this episode, mark your calendar, your schedule, watch that Ace. I don't know, he might he might have some growing pains in his first start, but he's one O two with life, uh and that's fun to watch no matter no matter how well he pitches.
Speaker 3: And we do this a lot, right And we got a comment on Twitter when we started the mail bag, were you guys? And when I see you guys, I mean us three you, Jack and I. We talk about prospects, you know, we glow about them right like their next step that we'd take them over the vet And in some cases, and you laid it out in the comment like some cases, we truly do think that the prospect is better right now than the veteran right Matt Mervis with the Chicago Cubs, even though Osmer is having a pretty good start. You gave other examples too, but I think this is the best example of when a prospect is legit going to be better than the rest of the rotation. When we're looking at James Caprillian, Chitaro Fujinami who did kind of pitch well against the Mets out of nowhere, jpc yours who also pitched pretty well against the Mets, and then you got other arms like ken Walda Chuck and we can go through the line. But this guy, Mason Miller, might be the best pitcher on the Oakland A staff right now, right which.
Speaker 2: Is awesome, and that's why I'm glad they're calling him up. Twenty eight ge or twenty eight innings in the minor leagues plus the areson a fall league. Not a lot of action, but I don't think you need to see much more. It's one hundred to one hundred and two. It's a plus breaking ball. He added a cutter at ninety five, which he actually said on the call up. That was like his kind of announcement of the pitch. It's like, yeah, been playing around with this cutter. I was like, whoa, whoah, tell me about this cutter. So he starts talking about the cutter and he's like, yeah, it's ninety five, Like I think it can make me special. It's like, well, it's making him special. He looks really good and then he's got the feel for the change up. It's about the health for him, his shoulder. He had a little bit of a shoulder strain last year that cut a season shorts. But if he's healthy, my goodness, he could be special. And I'm glad that the a's are being aggressive with him.
Speaker 3: Speaking about health too. Bad things in the American League East number one, Jeffrey Springs Tommy John will be out for the season. We actually not like we broke the news, but I heard the news when I was streaming on Twitch on our Not Gambling Advice show four thirty to six thirty pm Eastern Monday through Friday. And we hear in the chat Jeffrey Springs TJ. Jeffrey Springs TJ, what happened to Jeffrey Springs and I look MLB trade rumors Jeffrey Springs out for the year, will get Tommy John surgery, which I had an immediate reaction of That stinks, like that is a killer because this guy, by a lot of metrics, was one of the best pitchers in baseball. Rays don't just extend anyone, right, and they extended Jeffrey Springs before this season began, and he showed why the Rays loved him so much. Electric left hander. There was times where I was watching them Jeffrey Springs starts and I was like, wow, Sean McLennan is the second best lefty on his own, even though he's one of the best lefties of baseball. That's how well Jeffrey Springs was pitching. So when fortunately Tommy John for him and then gin Carlos Stanton, it's a tail as old as time. Unfortunately, six weeks Grade two hamstring strain and six weeks yeah right, it's gonna be eight. Like he'll be back in the middle of June. You know. I'm on the phone my dad, a huge Yankee fan, and he's like, when do you think Stanton's gonna come back? And I'm like, who cares? October. That's all we need him for. Like, yeah, and he was surprised, right, My dad was surprised, And I'm like, how can you be surprised at this point with a guy like Stanton? Every year it's continuous, it's just when is it going to happen? It's unfortunate. He's a great talent, but like this is kind of the story of his career at this point is just he plays really well, Bang, he's out, and then it's rehabbing and then we're back.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: There was some years with the Marlins through his prime where he was in the middle of some awesome campaigns and Marlins team that like desperately needed him. He was MVP with the Marlins, and when they were hanging around the wild Card, he'd go down and then the team would kind of just fall apart. And it sucks because if he's been on the field as much as some of the other guys you know, over the last ten years, he'd be pushing towards a lot of really exciting milestones and he still has a shot to crack those milestones. But I agree with you, like the hamstring that that lingers, especially for a guy like Stanton and I think he's almost just too much of a beast, like he's too muscular and just too strong, where his muscles just go from time to time, which sucks. On the spring point, I'm very happy that he got his bag before this year. That part is at least a nice silver lining and it is at least just Tommy John, which is just to me, it seems like more just like this, it's like this paid vacation now where.
Speaker 3: It's just Tommy John. That's what we've done to Is it really at that point I've got anymore? I mean, you're off for the season.
Speaker 2: It's just a duration. It's how long it takes that sucks. But in terms of like if you told me, you know, shoulder strain, like two shoulder strains that come up in the same year, or Tommy John, I think I'd rather have the Tommy John because the shoulder strains don't seem to go away and it usually points towards something else. Tommy John a lot of times he's got to take care of it and then they're good to go. It almost seems like a foregone conclusion for most pitchers. A lot of them get it out of the way earlier and again, I hope humans evolve to not need UCLs anymore, but wishing Jeffrey Springs to speedy recovery and the raise. The good news for them is next man up, they'll bring somebody else back from the il like a glass now. Uh, And then I think we'll see a lot more TODs Bradley, who pitches tonight as we're recording this.
Speaker 3: And we're speaking about the Rays. So that leads us into our first question of the mail bag. The current raise infield is solid with Yanni Diaz, Brandon Lao Wannafranco, and Isak Pretties, with Taylor Wallas as the third middle infielder who is already doing well off like Nick Lidolo, kind of a lefty killer with Curtis Mead Manzardo. I don't even know who this is? You correct me? Bisabi?
Speaker 2: Yes, Ocelevis Bisab, who I actually love. That was the guy that we hyped up a lot on the on the Rays prospect rankings. But yeah, Basabe is an infielder as well.
Speaker 3: Perfect. And so the question is what is the infield light looking like in August if everyone is healthy? That comes from us from at Todd Bernias B e r ni Us on our Instagram. So, Arm, this is a perfect question for you. I mean, with the way the Rays are playing, as good as these young guys are, it would be nice to see Curtis, Mead, Manzarto and Basabe. But at the end of the day, like were you taken out of that injury?
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Man Manzarto is off to a phenomenal start, but I think he's somebody that has a little bit more time. Mead is actually off to a slow start, so that helps a little bit in terms of the log jam. And then Basab is awesome, really really good back to ball guy. He's a plus hitter, a potentially plus plus hitter, and he's actually hitting them all harder than people expect it. But I still think of is like this second base or infield utility type. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I don't think we're going to see any of those guys until somebody gets hurt. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I think if somebody gets hurt, then we'd see probably one of those guys. I guess it depends on who gets hurts. I think they're all pretty equally ready. I'd say Basab might be the most ready given his bats to ball skills and versatility. But like you said, Peter, who you booting? Even Eastok Perettis has been swinging it well, I don't. I don't really know who you would remove from this lineup. And Taylor Walls just took Nickeldolo deep and I think you just picked up like a double the next at bat, like if Walls is swinging a two with his defensive ability, like who are you bumping? I'm very interested to see what they do. I'm actually floored by what Taylor Walls's numbers are actually enting to entering today. I don't think you do anything. I think it's similar to the Oriole situation that we're going to talk about, like you kind of just sit on them.
Speaker 3: Potentially a trade, right, you can potually look at one, maybe he gets some outfield help like Randy has got it locked up, but then you have Josh Lowe and Manny Margo and it's not like they need help there. But potentially, could a Brian Reynolds trade be in the cards. It never happens with the Rays. It's so out of the ordinary for them. I'm just thinking of ways to be creative here, because they have such a glut of incredible Again, everyone on their major league roster is incredible. They're just an incredible team. So I guess let's just move on to our second question, and it's a good one. Out of the surprise teams that have started hot, and the three listed were the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the Chicago Cubs, which team do you think can have the most sustained long term success? That was asked by at Riley Underscore mcl wai N two on Instagram.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing is, I don't know if there's a wrong answer here, but all are off the great starts. The Cubs are near the top of the division. If it weren't for the Brewers being twelve and five, one of baseball's best records. The d Backs look like they have an outside shot at making the playoffs. That's a good day then. And then you have the Cubs, who just continue to win games, go into Los Angeles great series against them. These are three teams that are massively over performing expectations. I would say the Pirates have overperformed the most, even though I think the Cubs and the d Backs are playing better baseball, but we thought the Pirates might be bottom dwellers, and there are anything from it. So who's your choice? I guess because there really is no wrong answer. It's more of a thought exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, let's walk through this together because I want to see where you're at. T Backs is a team I have a little bias towards just leading into this because that was a team I liked better going into the season. So there's gonna be some confirmation by us on that performance. The Cubs, the thing with them is we didn't really account for Cody Bellinger looking like this. Yes, it's only a dozen games, but if Cody Bellinger's swinging it like this and then the Cubs look a lot different, then you're gonna swap out Eric Cosmer, who's probably been now after the good five games to start to slow down, Like you swap that out for one of the best offensive prospects right now in baseball and Matt Murvis. That helps bolster your offense. They're gonna get say a Suzuki, you know, really rolling again for them and just got them back in the lineup like this. Team is gonna get better. The pitching is a little bit of a concern. We'll see how that holds up. But they've got Danzby Swanson, they' spent money, They've got a little bit more star power on that team. The d Backs are younger and more volatile, but also I think are more balanced across the board, if that makes sense, Like you're leaning on performances from guys that are less established, but guys I believe in. So I'm gonna say d Backs. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the Cubs, but I'm gonna say d Backs because they're doing this right now with like mad bum mad bum pitching. You swap him out for Brandon Thought. I think Corbyn Carroll is gonna be one of those guys who just gets stronger as the year gets goes on and gets better and better. Longo looks good. I like the whole team, and that's without Moreno really getting going. I think a lot of the pitching staff is still going to get better and better. Bullpen's a concerned, but I think a bullpen's concern for almost any of these middling teams.
Speaker 3: And Andrew Chafin has been that dude in the back end of the Arizona Diamback's bullpen. And a guy who I think is becoming maybe one of the most underrated players in all of baseball. That's Josh Rojas. I got I can play all over the field and is a really good hitter. He is just like he's one of those guys who you know, kind of doesn't get talked about because we talked about all these young, exciting guys on the Diamondbacks, and it's like him leading the way consistently. Guy like Lordi Scuriell, Junior, Christian Walker, Ketel Marte. They have a lot of good players, and then the emergence of Dre Jamison is another arm. You know, Ryan Nelson is a good arm. Then you have Zach Allen, who can lead any staff in Major League Baseball with his stuff. We saw him dominate the Miami Marlins. We're going to talk about that trade in a little while. They are the most exciting team, and I think one aspect of the Diamondbacks that again goes a little bit underreported, is that I think they are one of the teams that benefits the most from these new rules. Right They're a scrappy team that likes to put the ball on the ground and that helps with no shift, bigger bases, you know the pickoff rules. They're stealing back bases like nobody's business. This is a fast, exciting team and they play really good defense too, Like we talk about Alec Thomas in centerfield, Corbyn Carroll in a corner when he could be an elite center fielder, you know, Heraldo Perdomo is not the best, you know, hitter, but he can pick it at short and that's the reason why he's in the bigs. Christian Walker, gold Glover, Josh Rowss can play all over the infield to tell Marte and then Gaby Maraino, Like, this team is set up perfectly for this new age of baseball, and we're gushing over the Diamondbacks. Shouldn't take away from the Pirates of the Cubs either, like all three of these teams. That's why it's such a good question and there is no wrong answer, is because they're all set up really nicely. So the US are out overperforming. And this isn't even the Cubs window yet they have all these great prospects that you and Jack talk about at nauseum. How about the Pirates they're going to get Dylan Cruz O'Neil Cruz isn't even playing in their winning games. Yeah, like all three of these teams. If you are a fan, I would be very excited right now, Like this is a great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, and real quick, just to highlight that the Pirates, I mean to get what they're getting from mccutch and I hope he does it as long as possible because it's so awesome to see him performing in a Pirates uniform. But you know, just to see what Brian Reynolds is doing. I know he's come down to earth a little bit, but that's been really solid.
Speaker 3: I mean he came down from hitting a home run every single Yeah, from every single like that.
Speaker 2: I love g Wan Bay. I think he's going to continue to get going offensively. But they've got a lot of pieces that I think are contributing and can serve their role pretty well. And I think the pitching selled up better than people thought. I do think they're going to slow down a little bit, but yeah, I think the final answer is d backs. But all these teams I think are going to be much more watchable than a lot of people might have expected, especially many of their cynical fans, specifically on the Pirates side.
Speaker 3: This is a perfect question for you, and we are going back to the Rays, but this question isn't about the Rays. So question number three. If the Rays are the model for developing pitching, which teams do you consider the leaders in hitting development? What a fascinating question because while the Rays are the leaders, you'd say, but like the Dodgers are pretty damn good at it in terms of developing pitching, the Guardians are pretty damn good at it. The Mariners, right, bringing up George Kirby, Right, they got Bryce Miller coming in the minor leagues, like Emerson Hancock looks good. There are a lot of teams at the forefront of this, and I'm sure there are a lot of teams at the forefront of offense for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question, and there's a lot that goes into it because I think it's it's measurable by how many guys did you draft or trade for in the minor leagues and then of course develop into big league pieces. But also it's just kind of looking at it anecdotally from player to player and saying like, okay, they took this guy that was struggling and really helped him kick it into another gear. Or this guy was pretty good and now he's just hit another stride. And then there's also like the question of is it scouting or development, because some teams are really good at both. Some teams might be better than at one than the other, and you don't know because the other kind of mask masks the other. But I think the Astros have to be up there, and I might put the Astros at number one just because of the fact that you look at their roster top to bottom right now, and you look at their team, A lot of those guys are homegrown. And then even guys that they didn't specifically sign, they developed. Nobody thought jord On Alvarez was gonna was gonna be what he is, and look at what he developed into. They traded for him at the lower levels. Yeah, Bregman was a top pick, but he's hit his ceiling. Jeremy Panel was a development master class from what they've had there. You look at Kyle Tucker, who hit some snags at point people were wondering whether he was gonna hit his ceiling. He does. And then you've got the tween or types like a Chas McCormick who gets better and better and better and turns into a really solid option for them. So for me, it's got to be guys like that, because the don't even get the role players like David Hensley, who turned into valuable or at least somewhat productive. That's for them. I'd say that the Astros are right there. The Cardinals are in the same boat. When you get the large noop bars of the world, the Tyler O'Neals who you trade for and then unlock more out of him, and then a lot of the other guys we could talk about, obviously Jordan Walker's development. You see other guys that are really doing well, but I think the Astros have to be the gold standard. I also think the Yankees don't get enough praise. They do a really good job of getting the most out of there of their bats, especially guys that have come through the minor League's Anthony Volpi one of the best examples, but even Jason Dimingez, the changes he's made, the improvements he's made, Oswald Perrazza, and then guys at the big league level, Aaron Judge, Hello, that's not a guy that like just rolled out hit that tooks more.
Speaker 3: Like the end of the first round out of Fresno State, and he looks terrible.
Speaker 2: Like I his swing if you I saw some video on the Cape. I was like, Geez, would not have taken this guy. So you know, I think the Yankees are a dark horse in that as well. And then of course the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Of course, because the Dodgers are just the answer kind of for everything about the gold standard. And then how about just another guy with Yankee Spencer Jones is a guy who's flying up prospect lists and he was a guy who I was like, oh wait, we're taking him in the first round. And it's like, well, he might have gotten number one overall if we redid that draft based on the house. But he's so question number four Cardinals fans are pissed, and I understand. And this next question is the Cardinals pitching seems to be getting worse. That's just that's the start of the question. Good thing we have Grandpa Waino making his rehab start. They need to be eighty three and sixty five for the rest of the season to get to ninety wins. Do they do it? Or are they throwing out another year of really nice offense. This was asked by Seth Partney on Twitter. We're talking about a nauseum, dude.
Speaker 2: Before you say anything, you know, fan bases and shambles when they're doing the math of what they need to do to get to ninety wins. That will always make you feel like shit as a fan. I promise we're ten percent into the season, like Peter sent off the cuff. No matter what, if you do the math to how it you get to ninety wins after a swell start, you're gonna make yourself miserable. Don't do that. And also they can very easily go eighty three and sixty five. But anyway, Peter, thefloor is yours.
Speaker 3: I mean, the question at hand is what do they do right? Like the question at hand is more do we think they have it in the tank? And Cardinals fans are looking for some optimism and I can be optimistic about Jack Flerity. Jack Flaerity a.
Speaker 2: Good last start.
Speaker 3: His command hasn't been there, but guess what, he's fixing it and he's getting better. And this is a guy who we can't forget. In twenty nineteen was one of the better pitchers in the now National League. And it's not like he looks unhealthy. Yeah, he has some command issues early on, but he's got this new fastball that looks really good. His slider looks sharp, breaking stuff looks good. They got Libby coming up from the pipe, and like we'll see, could be another rookie who ends up not being what we might think. But you and Jack have talked about the game.
Speaker 2: Jack's calling a game with him on the mountain right now as we record.
Speaker 3: Amazing, So we'll have you know, a recap of how that went, and we'll talk to Jack, because I know Cardinals fans are looking for pitchers, and what I do know is if you are a team in need of pitching, the Cardinals are in the best spot to make a big time trade. They have so many young hitting prospects. Now we've talked about this at nauseum because they just ain't doing it right. They did trade Harrison Beta for Jordan Montgomery, so it's not like they're, you know, allergic to doing stuff like that. They brought in Jose Kintana, they just haven't brought in the all time ace that Cardinals fans are looking for. The they want to hang their hat on and say, every fifth day, we can give this guy a ball and we should win the game. And that's what you need as a World Series contender? Is that type of starter? Now you know, whould they make a deal with the Marlins for Sandy? Of course they might be able to, but we're grasping at straws with that one. It's it's really tough. We have to wait for the season to continue to unfold to really see who could be available. Because the Marlins are playing good baseball right now? Why would you want to trade Sandy if you're competing right Like, you're not gonna get Gallon from the Arizona Diamondbacks. You're not gonna get like to Grum from the Rangers. Like I mean, it's it's tough right now. We could come up with random options just to get people excited, but we have to wait. But Flari Day looks good, Waino's gonna come back. Then you have Libby. It's not like Monty's pitching bad and like Michael's can't be any worse.
Speaker 2: Right, Michael's legit can't be worse. My thing, too, is is what if they took a Twins type approach? You're not gonna be able to go get an ace, Go get like a couple of threes. I think jay Mont's pretty much a three. You went out and got him Quintana once he comes, you know, once he gets going like that. That was a guy that I liked that pickup. Is that a three? I don't know. But now now that they subtract him, right now they're looking at what they have here. I feel like you're not gonna get an ace. You're not gonna be able to get that frontline guy. I need the aforementioned guys that you just listed. Maybe you just go for a few threes and build that rotation of threes. I think Jack Flaherty at his peak, you know what he's looking like now, could be a solid three. J Mott could be a solid three. Waino is probably depth arm, but Joe's flashes of being a solid and middle rotation arm go like. Don't you think they're kicking themselves right now for not getting Pablo like Pablo Lopez. They could have done Tyler O'Neill plus a prospect or two and got and got Pablo Lopez.
Speaker 3: I feel like they have Dylan Carlson. They could have done Dylan Carlson in p like not that long ago, and they decided, no, we needed a seventh outfielder. We need them. We're not gonna go get Pablo Lopez. But with this said, and this is why on lives in my comments, I'm sure in yours DMS Cardinals fans are freaking out. And I know. But if you're gonna be a team loaded with threes, the Cardinals, if you look at the rest of the team, it's the perfect team to have a bunch of threes. You have an unbelievable offense, you have an unbelievable defense, you have a very solid bullpen. So all you really need is guys like Caintana. Now you're not gonna get him anymo because he's on the Mets, but guys like that, they will open up in the trade market. Even a guy like Herman Marquez from the Rockies, Like maybe could he get him he turns into some sort of three four, that's another arm that you could go get. Like, we're gonna keep talking about this. This is I feel like one of the big stories in Major League Baseball right now is that there there's such a difference right now in talent, like you look at the offense and you look at the starting staff, but it's so early, so it's like, what you want me to freak out with your call?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here here's the thing, and it's frustrating because of how good they are position player wise, and because the clock's ticking, you're not gonna you know, Nolan Eronato's not getting any younger. Neither is Paul gold Schmidt. So I get it from that perspective, but they've got a lot of time to figure stuff out. One Libertor could come up and be a legit, legit starter. Obviously that's a tall ask, but it's possible. If that's clear that that's not gonna happen. He struggles when you when you call him up, and you know, Michaelist doesn't get any better. You're not getting anything from Matts, Like I think you got to wait finally get all of those answers being the worst case scenario, and then from there you panic and you go, you know, pay dollar twenty on the dollar, like that's what they'll end up having to do. My question to wrap up on this is do you give up a big prospect package or do you just trade time? Tyler O'Neill plus a prospect or two, if there's a team that's looking to do that kind of deal, Because I feel like O'Neill, it seems like he's probably going to be somebody that's going to be the odd man out. Ultimately, he's got one more year of control after this year. I think this is kind of the perfect time to trade him, especially with the little spat we had recently. But I don't know. I just get the sense that his days might be numbered. Carlson has more control. They don't like trading prospects. Maybe you trade an O'Neill and a prospector too for a team that you know wants a player that can add to their lineup. That might be an interesting way to upgrade. But yeah, that's not going to get you an ACE, but it could get you a middle rotation arm.
Speaker 3: Two reasons I love that option from you. One, if you trade Tyler O'Neill, you can get a good starter from a contender, right, a contender that has a bulk of pitching that needs offense. They're not trading for that high a nineteen year old with upside, Right, you're getting Tyler O'Neal. He could help right now, luis a Raja's trade for Pablo Lopez kind of in that same breath where you get a Pablo back and you give up a major leaguer. Both teams want to contend they don't want prospects. So that for Tyler Neil. Second reason, the contract thing is big right because he only has one more year of control. So unless you're going to give him a big extension, which you see all the different guys on offense that the Cardinals have, are you going to give him a big time deal? Might as well cash in on that. So I think this is a perfect time to transition to a segment sponsored by bet MGM. Remember use the king of sports books, bet MGM. In our episode description, there's a code JB fans. That's JB fans. You wager ten dollars for all new users on bet mgm. You get a hundred dollars instantly. No brainer, right. I say this on my TikTok all the time. Always take the free money that the books are giving you, even if you're not much of a better. It's fun to throw one dollar two dollar bets when you have some free money to play along with. So download bet MGM. And the King of Sports Books. The link is in our episode description. Use code JB fans. And the reason I really want to go to this now is I want to look at the National League Central odds to win the division because the Brewers are twelve and five, the Cardinals haven't gone off to the best start in the world, and the Brewers are minus one thirty to win the division. Now they are the favorites. Cardinals are plus one sixty, Cubs are plus seven point fifty. Who talking about all this, I was thinking about making a move on the Cardinals at this point. Now, my gambling brain says, you knew that was a trap line at the beginning of the year where they gave us minus one fifteen for the Cardinals, you know what a steel But now at this point it's like, do I go back in on the Cardinals. That's excellent value for them, at least in my opinion, considering the line move. And it's like an overreaction to the Brewers doing so well. Brandon Woodruff, you know, on the IL for an extended period of time, Corbin Burns isn't pitching his best either, Like maybe the Cardinals at plus one sixty is a decent bet. You bet ten, you win sixteen, you bet one hundred, you win one sixty. Like that's good value on the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Well, and a team that we talked about how they're they're going to be patient and probably not rush anything. They have a get out of jail free card with a litany of minor league talent if they want to push the Chips forward, and of course even excess outfielders at the big league level. When you have teams that have resources like that that are in win now mode, I'm always a little bit more confident laying some money on them. So I didn't like them at that minus anything to win the division, But now at that value, I if you're getting free credits, like I'm gonna bet on the best franchise and still the most talented team with that free credit to throw on there that I think that's one hundred percent worth like a unit splash, and you get to root for a good team to turn it around. It's a long season, and if they get hot, I think you hit the nail on the head. Like I'm a little week Jack and I just talked about it. We're a little worried about what the Woodroof injury means it could be out for basically majority of the season. He said himself, he's not going to rush back. And you know, the Cubs, they look good. I think they're going to hang around, you know, five hundred and be a competitive team and in exceed expectations. But that's not going to be what wins the division. So it's really Cardinals versus Brewers, and you're hoping the Brewers can hold on given their ace struggling, having a lot of issues before the year with the team, and then their number two now being out for a long time, no ashby a lot of other moving parts. I really like that value there.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying it's crazy, but there is value on the Cubs here. I mean, the Cubs are playing good baseball considering their plus seven fifty. If we talk about the Brewers issues, Let's say the Cardinals don't solve these issues and the pitching does go down the drain. I don't think it's gonna happen, but maybe, considering that they're plus seven point fifty, I also think that's somewhat worthy of a sprinkle. Do I think it's gonna happen? No, But sometimes I gave out to my subscribers Bears to win the division in the NFL. Do I think it's gonna happen. I don't know, But the fact is that they were the farthest down, they have the most cap space, they have the number or they trade the number one overall pick. They have a ton that they can do. And the Jaguars went from worse to first two right, so it's a value play. And plus seven fifty, I just think that's too high for the Cubs, considering problems within the other team. One more race that I want to talk about with you on is this American League East, because there's bluster at the top, and I'm curious as we sit here today which team you like. Because the Rays are plus one thirty, the Yankees are plus one eighty, and the Blue Jays are plus two seventy five. I'm jumping for joy I got the Rays at plus three fifty to win the division, so I'm feeling good right now. But at the same time, like you never know, right the Ras are super talented. Anything had happened, it's so early, but I'm thinking about jumping back in with the Blue Jays and plus two seventy five. I mean, like that is just I mean, is that line telling us something. That's why I think that one scene is almost too good to be true.
Speaker 2: I think that one's too good to be true. I was gonna say I'm almost looking at the Yankees because I'm getting the Yankees at that plus line there. At this point, they haven't had their team fully healthy at all. They've still looked fine. Volpi's just getting going. Judge looks like he's gonna be something close to what he was last year. Yes, Stanton's hurt, but at the end of the day, that's a DH that you know was not a game changer for you in the regular season. He wasn't in the postseason. And I think, you know, we're gonna wait and see hen ro Don, who now is a little back thing. And but the pitching is only gonna get stronger. They're only going to get more and more guys back. I don't hate the value there. I'm worried about the Jays pitching. We've seen them regression looking pretty real now. Gosman got knocked around the other day. I don't think that's gonna be a huge issue, But then he got Barrios we talked about Bassett. I think I like your Yankees at that value there.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, I think if you're gonna make a Swendy pull swenaity, I think if you're gonna make a move, it has to be on the Yankees. One more thing about the Carlos Ordon back thing. It's funny because he's on the ihel for an arm thing. It's in a back thing. And at the beginning, you know, it was like he slept on it wrong, or at least that was a report I heard, and I was like, oh, that doesn't matter. And then then in that spring training star Boone came out and Boone's like normally a really positive guy. He did not sound happy, Like it was like, what is happening to our guy who we just signed to this enormous contract. It was an arm thing. Armfelt good, he's making a reup starry. Now it's a back thing, Like come on, yeah, right, I mean, I don't blame Boone. It's like, what's going on? Everyone we sign, everyone we trade for. You know, we talked about the litany of bullpen guys get going down, then Stanton goes down, then Rodn goes down, and then Boone suffers the blame when the Yankees aren't at their peak on playoff time, like Yankee fans totally forget. I mean, probably not Yankee fans, but I think the greater good of baseball fans, Like DJ le Maye wasn't in the playoffs last year, like they had a lot of injuries to that team, and then they got swept by the Ashers, and everybody's calling for Boone's job, Like it's a lot of pressure on manager Aaron Boone if none of the players that Brian Cashman got for you are playing.
Speaker 2: And I think he's gonna get guys back, slowly but surely, and I think that helps. I totally agree with you. My favorite pick to end the segment here is I think it's the Minnesota Twins to win the division. I know the value is not insane. I think I'm the.
Speaker 3: Only thing the value. It's like minus now, and they're like they're doing well, like this is what I looked at. I was like, well, the Razor plus one thirty and the Twins are minus one fifteen. I'm like minus one fifteen because also two days ago they were plus one fifteen. Guardian's just lost a doublehead or another minus one fifteen, Like that's such an overreaction.
Speaker 2: I agree, I just I really agree with you. I really feel good about this pitching staff, and that was the big question. And then they're only going to get better offensively. They're getting Royce Lewis back, They're getting some other guys back in the coming months. They haven't had Jorge Polonko at all so far this season. I mean, Pablo looks like a dude. Joe Ryan, you just talked about stock up on that TikTok video you did breaking up. He looks awesome. What was that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just saying I love Joe Ryan.
Speaker 2: He's awesome. He's awesome. And then like Tyler Maley's are four, Miata looks pretty damn good as a five. And then they've got Ober and all this depth. I'm gonna probably take it like I'm probably gonna sprinkle more because the White Times you can eliminate, I mean, you can eliminate the White Sox. It's really just Twins versus Guardians, and the Guardians bost Mackenzie offense looks a little bit shaky to start the year. I kind of like the Twins that at even minus one fifteen. I wouldn't take it any later than that though, or any any you know, worse than that in terms of the value.
Speaker 3: So I have a future on the Guardians to win the division of plus one twenty five. And I was thinking, because I do think it's going to be down to the wire in this division with these two teams, because I love them both. I'm almost thinking what I kind of want to do is wait for the Twins to go on like a three game losing streak, Like right now they're losing against Boston. It's one zero on the second. But these lines just switch all the time, so I'm like, I might just grab both at plus money and like, no matter what, like I'm gonna win money because if you bet a plus and then another plus at the same unit, like you're gonna make profits. So that's kind of what I'm thinking about, and I'll be sending those of my subscribers when I do, so I'm not totally sure yet. I want to kind of wait because it's so early, But again, use the King of Sportsbooks. All these lines are available, so if you're hearing lines that you want to take, you can get some free money by using code JB fans. Let's get back to the mail bag questions. Another really good one, and this one I grabbed because I was like, I just want to ask oh about this one. I think we all agree that both teams benefited from the Gallon Jazz Chisholm trade. That was Zach Gallen for Jazz Chisholm, but on a neutral franchise. Which player would you rather have? That was asked by at NATS eventually, which is a great Eventually. I agree eventually that was him on Twitter. Go over the trade kind of what happened, and then we'll answer who we'd rather have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean, so Zach Gallen originally came over in that package with Sandy a contra U, Magnari Sierra and Dan Costano for Marcelo Zuna from the Cardinals. That's a rare occasion of the Cardinals giving up a lot there. And I don't think they thought Sandy would become Sandy, and definitely didn't think Gallen would become Gallon. He was a pitch ability over stuff guy. Something just really clicked with Gallon. The story was that he got stung by a bee and like that was his joke and he saw his Vilow tick up in spring training, so they called him be man like. It just something happened there and he saw this uptick and in his first handful of start to the Marlins, he was unbelievable. I think the Marlins thought like, Okay, maybe this isn't sustainable. We'll have a ton of pitching. Let's cash this in. So they try right him for Jazz Chisholm, who at the time was kind of struggling a little bit in Double A but showing big power and stealing bags and looks really really dynamic, and so they kind of make that trade and Jazz eventually makes his way up. Gallon obviously does what he has been doing for the Arizona Diamondbacks, and I think both teams are are happy. I think for the Marlins perspective, it's we're talking neutral franchise, so we got to remove this aspect of it. But the Marlins have their most marketable player in a long time, and that goes a long way for that franchise beyond what we see on the field. From a pure baseball perspective, you have to look at it this way, right, we wouldn't be putting him in center. That's first of all, if I'm if I'm another, if I'm a neutral franchise that just acquired Jazz Chisholm for Zach Gallen, I'm not putting him in Centiven. Feel he's a second baseman. Maybe I try him it short even, but I'm probably playing him at second. So that's what He's an all star second basement. Yes, that's number one. So that's number one. The second thing is how sold are you on this Zach Gallan? Because now this is this he's following up what was a breakout, breakout year last year. I know he showed flashes of being fantastic. There's been some concerns about his elbow and health, but he won one hundred and eight four innings last year to two five four. Realistically, that is probably more valuable if he sustains that. To start this year, he's been pretty damn good. I think you got to kind of ignore the slow start from Jazz. He's already heating up. I think he's had a great game as we're recording this at a great game of the day before that. I think he's going to be something between what we saw in the first half last year and obviously what we're seeing right now, which is you know, well above average, regular, borderline all star, twenty five years old, power hitting shortstop, second, really second basement that can go twenty twenty. I think I'd rather have Gallon though, Like that's just the reality of.
Speaker 3: It at the end of the day. And I'm going to simplify this down and you know, we can, you know, go over the margins and see truly, you know, age contract all that kind of stuff. Starting pitching wins championships. Yeah, I'll say that till the day I die. When I bet on an individual game, what do you look at? First? The starting pitcher. It matters so much in Major League baseball. The starting pitcher, I think is the most valuable asset in all of baseball. You could argue that the shortstop or the catcher might be maybe this gold Glove center fielder, it's the starter, Like even if Jazz was I don't know, Like, let's talk about some Major League Baseball players who like position players, who'd rather have over a guy like Zach Gallen. You know, I think of who on the Cardinals where you know, we keep bringing them up, Who on the Cardinals would you take over Zach Gallen?
Speaker 2: Right, Like, Goldie. I mean, but I see what you're saying, Like, I wouldn't either have Tommy Edmond or Zach Gallen Zach mc gallen. Yeah, I even looking at the second base position as a whole, that the whole league. Would you rather have there's a few guys obviously I'd rather have out two Obviously I would rather.
Speaker 3: Have would you rather have all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andreez, I'd rather have Andre Semenez. I think would you a six war position player? Yeah, McNeil, I'd rather.
Speaker 3: Have Dollan than McNeil.
Speaker 2: Jeff McNeil plays every day, Like I do think that pitching is super valuable, But I think that's where I draw the line pretty much though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's jazz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really it's nothing on jazz, but it's it's second basement. If we go shortstop, I could lest you a ton of shortstops I'd rather have, but it's second me.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm so like I love pitching so much that I'm like, I don't know if i'd rather have Andre Semnez than Gallon. Like I think, if you have an eight, if you have a guy who looks like an ace, and it's not even that he looks like he's pitching like an ace. Pitch like an ace last year, and he is already off to a good start, had a rough go in the first couple of starts because his vlows down. Then it ticked up, and now he just looks unbelieva. It looks unhittable, like against the Marlins offense, Like with Joe about the Marlins offense. They've been great this year.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I think it's more my concern about, like the sustainability of Zach Gollen.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair. I'm more thinking about starting pitchers as a whole and not looking.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he's if it's a true true ace to fuck Andre Samenez. But how sure are you the Zach Allen's going to continue this? He's a really interesting case. Yeah, he when his command, like his command is really impressive, and that's what what's really kind of helped him here. But I don't know, like you talked about the view of being down, it's a little sporadic. He's he's a little bit of that like makes me nervous with the arm kind of guy. It's a tough one regardless. The answer is I would rather have Gallon than Jazz, because you could trade Gallon for more than Jazz, I think at this point, especially with the control and where he's at. So while both teams did well, I don't think the Marlins would undo it because of what Jazz means to their franchise now in terms of just having a bat that they can't mess up and having the marketability there neutral franchise. Give me Zach Gallen, right, like, give me the frontline guy, even if he's closer to a two or three, that's still extremely valuable. To your point, I'd rather have Gallen.
Speaker 3: The way you talk about the Marlins is gonna make me laugh for the rest of my life. Like a bat they can't mess up like that is just gonna make me laugh forever. How about a bat that at least this person thinks his own team is messing up. Question number six. Spencer Torkelsen is off to a really bad start for the Detroit Tigers. His on base percentage is barely over two hundred. Are we out on him officially? Is he maybe a change of scenery guy? Not ruling out Detroit's development being a big part of the problem. Asked by Matt Alec Gold on Twitter.
Speaker 2: I'll let you start on this one. What do you think? How do is he twenty three to twenty four, twenty three years, seven months, twenty three days.
Speaker 3: How can I give up on a guy like that who at Arizona State I thought was a freaking missile. This guy was one of the best college hitters ever in the last half decade. I mean it was just every single day. Like we talk about Dylan Cruz, right, we talk about Tommy Tanks at LSU. Just more LSU guys, Jack Aglion of Florida. You know why at Langford? You know the kid at UNC. I don't know why I'm forgetting his name right now? Who's the kid at you see?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vance honeycut Yeah. I don't know how got his name because he's a freaking nature. But these guys are all great college players, like that guy like Dylan Cruz, who's the camp miss guy that was Torque at ASU. Just like it didn't matter if he could never play a position, because he's going to hit forty bombs. I just think it's he's off to a slow start, and I know it's crazy, Like Jeremy Peney is two years older than him. It took him a little while. He might just be a little bit of a late bloomer.
Speaker 2: He broke Barry Bond's freshman home run record in Arizona State with twenty five.
Speaker 3: I just, you know, it's so hard to say. And but the thing is, what's so tough about this question, and why I know he's asking it is because it's been horrible. It's not just been ups and downs. There have been no ups. It's just been a steady, bad batch of baseball from Spencer Torkilsen. And you can say, all right, you're one, throw it out the window. It hasn't gotten good this year, and he's not really doing much anyway. So it's it's a really tough question because there's a part of me that says, oh, don't worry about it at all. But I've watched Tigers games because I freaking bet on them all the time. I even tweeted on a drunk on Tiger's buddy line. Yeah it doesn't look good on him. It does not look good.
Speaker 2: It's I do wonder too, how much being a young power hitter and being thrust it into Kamerica Park where your power goes to die, how much that pressure kind of mounts on you as a young hitter. You know, we kind of saw it with Riley Green in early going, who also was his can't miss of a bat. He looks really he's starting to get better and get rolling here too. And Homer today was hitting.
Speaker 3: Like two fifty. I feel like he grounds on every bat. Frustrating, starting to get going, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: That was like a can't miss bat as well. So the two can't miss bats are missing right now. Like that's scary. I do think America like has that mental impact on some young hitters, especially power guys. But what stands out to me, especially this year, is how aggressive Spencer Torklssen has been. Thirty four percent chase right, small sample, but it's early fifty three percent swing rate is way too high. He's just trying to do too much. He's he's walked once because he's swinging at everything, and like, that's not how Spencer Towarklesen was successful. That's not how he got to where he is. He walked, he was patient, he crushed mistakes, and he's just a good, well rounded hitter. That's not who we're seeing. So I do feel like he he is in cro coaching on the change of scenery candidate area. I still don't think like if Jared Kelnick could figure it out, which it looks like he is, Spencer Torklsen can figure it out. But it is getting a little bit alarming here. When you have a guy that's swinging right now, it's sixty two percent of fastballs. Sixty two percent of fastballs he's swinging at. That tells me either one, he's just trying to do too much, which is I think part of the answer. Two he doesn't want anything to do with breaking balls, so every fastball he sees he's he's swinging, He's like, I'm jumping on this one. So he just doesn't seem to feel right. And the Tigers development is among the worst. They have a new guy at the helm here in Scott Harris, who I do believe in, and I think you're seeing the difference, but I don't know if that's kind of made its way to Torq yet. It's also a team that has had seems like it has some issues in the clubhouse. I mean, we saw a Jay Hinch just come out and hang out the vets to dry, hang out everybody to dry, and sometimes that stuff's contagious. I'm not I'm not saying Torque's cooked, but I am starting to wonder if it's gonna happen in Detroit.
Speaker 3: That's fair, will it happen in Detroit? But Tigers fans, I can't give up on him. I just can't. He is he was too special in college. He was such a good talent, like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know in the minor leagues, I mean, ops and and and between high A, double A and triple A and twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you brought up Kelnick because we're seeing what Kelnic can do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Spencer Torkusen was a better offensive prospect than he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean one hundred percent. I mean people would have until Kelnick was at the very very end, and even then I still think I still think people would have said torus a safer, safer offensive prospect.
Speaker 3: There you go, So we aren't giving up hope yet.
Speaker 2: Very breath, breathe. It's gonna be okay. It's fourteen games, it's a slow start to this year. It's cold. I think he'll be fine.
Speaker 3: It's cold. It is cold. And he's a he's a weather guy. Our last question, and it was so funny. We had seven Orioles questions and they were all surrounding the same thing. So I apologized we didn't credit you, but there was so many that I'm just like, all right, let's just tackle this. Yeah you put dash everyone, Yeah, dash everyone. Because it was the teams that asked the most questions Cardinals and Orioles, and Orioles almost doubled the Cardinals, and the Cardinals tripled every other team, So tons of oose questions. Basically, this is what it is. What do they do with the litany of infield prospects? And which picture should they get?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me start with I think this is the beginning. This is the first domino, and I'll start with a question back to you. Are you buying what Jorge Matteo is selling. I know you guys talked about it the other episode. Are you buying it? Because that's the first step of this entire thing that we have to go.
Speaker 4: Through here, like kinda like he's so dynamic because even if he's not hitting, it's not like, oh he's a hole at shortstop or he's not running he's a demon on the base pass.
Speaker 3: I used that with Jack. That word. It's like there are a couple of demons.
Speaker 2: He's gonna steal fifty bags this year. He's gonna stay and.
Speaker 3: He's great defensively, so even if he doesn't hit, he provides value. And he's hitting and he looks good and it's not like this guy came out of nowhere. He was a good prospect and he's really developing. This is an incredibly tough situation, but it's a good situation of being if you're a trouble and paradise. And then of course Adam Fraser's just getting abs and you know, an Oils fan put a curse on me when Adam Fraser was doing well. He was like, if you don't give Adam Fraser his praise, we're putting the Adam Fraser curse on you. I was afraid I'm gonna start losing bets. They put a curse on me arm because I wouldn't apologize crazy for Adam Fraser.
Speaker 2: That's pretty funny. I mean, dude, so mateo Fullman, all right, a one point zero four through fourteen games. You mentioned the defense. His strikeout rates down ten percent, to start the year. And look, I don't know if that part sustainable, but I do think that the swing rate being down as a legitimate alteration in his approach, him realizing, Okay, I need to stop swinging at everything and I can still be that get on base guy. And he is, and he's really been setting the table and making a difference. He's gonna steal fifty bags and he's gonna play a lead defensive short You're not moving that guy from shortstop unless he hits a damn wall. So what do you do with the other guys. You've got Joey Ortiz, who's elite defensively as well, a really good bat to ball guy in triple a very impressive prospect. You've got Connor Norby, who's limited to second base more so but hit twenty seven homers last year, absolutely rakes. Then you got Jordan Westburg, who could play all over fast, above average power average or better hitter. All those guys rake and are really interesting. The question is do you want to move those guys guy, because at the end of the day, like they've tried Westburg a little bit in the outfield, he could potentially play left. I don't know what they can do with Norby and Ortiz. A lot of Ortiz's value comes from short I know they like Ortiz more than Westburg from what I understand, Like, you could get a lot of players with those packs, with those prospects, you could get a lot. But do you trade just to trade? Know what pictures are going to be available that have a ton of control that make it worth it? I don't know either, Like that's the interesting part. Like the Orioles, you don't want to just give up an asset. I know it's a surplus, but it's a valuable asset just to do it. But how long can you sit on those guys because several of them are going to be kind of bored in the minor leagues at a certain point, specifically Joey Ortiz as he continues to get going here, like that guy's going to be ready to go. But I could see them just dashing them in triple all year.
Speaker 3: There is one name who I keep thinking about, Shane Bieber available. We're trying to win, they're trying to win the division. I know they're trying to win the division, but they're also the Guardians, right. The Guardians have been prone to make No, they haven't been prone to I guess make big miss those.
Speaker 2: Of a billion in field prospects too.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do. Maybe that's a bad, bad idea. I'm just thinking about four aces, like I'm grasping at straws here. I'm trying to make some sort of mock trade, like who who's a great pitcher? Who's worthy of all of these incredible interfield prospects, Because it's like, yeah, you could trade it like a Jordan Westburg and get a three, and like, I don't know how much that helps. I'm thinking about like a game changing I would paid who would have been? So I'm just like, yeah, you could tear down Shane Bieber and you're probably But it's like then, who, I guess.
Speaker 2: So I got a team for you. The San Francisco Giants need. If they didn't extend Logan web that would have been the perfect perfect example. They yeah they did. The thing is is they need a shortstop in the worst way. They're moving their third base prospect right now to shortstop in Casey Schmidt, like Logan Webb would have been the perfect perfect example, but now he's he's not available. Most likely, I don't know if there's anything out there for them for those guys, Like, that's the problem, So what do you do? And that's the most fascinating aspect of it, don't I don't know if it's a prospect for prospect deal that they could eventually make. I don't know if it's it's something else, but it seems like right now the only way that they're gonna be able to upgrade the pitching is through short rentals, and you're not trading any of those guys for short rentals. So I know that's a common question, but it's kind of part of the reason why we haven't really seen anything happen. Pabo again, Pabo Lopez was the guy to go try to do it for, but the Marlins wanted big league talent, so that wasn't gonna line up. And I don't know if there's really any other teams, maybe the Braves, Like, maybe you could work out a deal if the Braves feel better about, you know, what they've got going on pitching wise, Maybe a Bryce Elter for one of those guys, maybe you put him.
Speaker 3: You got von Grissel at Ozzie Alby's at Austin, Riley and Matt Olsen here was my thinking. This won't happen. But we're just talking. What would it take for Kyle Harrison from the Giants? What would it take for Max Meyer from the Marlins? Right teams we hire, I think, who need offense like prospect for prospect deals. Again, it won't happen. I don't know why. It doesn't like teams should have more prospects in one position with other teams that have a ton of prospects and not like make a deal help both sides. So I'm just I'm spitballing.
Speaker 2: Here is the best scenario I think is to do a prospect for prospect deal. The problem is I know more about my prospect, you know more about your prospect, and we're always gonna be wary about swapping them. Why does he want to trade me this prospect?
Speaker 3: And that's why it doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: It's a great PI, that's why. But there could be a scenario where that does happen. I would do like a Max Meyer for Connor Norby, and in two seconds, I would do Maximyer for Jordan Westberg in two seconds. I would do Max Meyer for for any of those guys in two seconds. And I think there's teams out there with some pitching talent that would consider doing that. Kyle Harrison's off to a bit of a slow start. Maybe the Giants consider it. That might be the best way to do it for the Orioles, this prospect for prospects, and I've read about teams considering that through the offseason. Nothing materialized with some other teams that were considering prospect for prospects. But I think the Orioles might be the team that's willing to do that, and I think it would be a really smart thing to do where they're at in the rebuild.
Speaker 3: And that'll do it for this episode of Just Baseball Show. That was the mail bag, all of the questions we talked about division odds. Again. We are sponsored by the King of Sportsbooks. In bett MGM used code. JB fans, you wag your ten dollars on any MLB game and you get one hundred dollars in bonus bets. Cardinals fans think about plus one sixty. Blue Jens fans. If you think we're nuts and you think the Rays and the Yankees suck, put your money where your mouth is. Let's see plus two to seventy five. You got all the value, get after It, Twins, Guardians, and of course all the other divisions. The best way to support this podcast is to get yourself some just baseball merch that is in the episode description. And if you don't want to spend a die on you don't want to gamble, no worries at all. If you can just rate this podcast five stars on Spotify podcast, and if you're watching on YouTube, hit the like button, hit the comment button on anything that we talked about let us know, and hit that subscribe button or anything else before we take it bye.
Speaker 2: That's it. Definitely look out for that Mason Miller feature piece. I think you guys will enjoy that. But other than that, I'm good.
Speaker 3: And with that, thank you everybody.