Speaker 1: Go through your top five favorite cookie flavors that came from your store.
Speaker 2: I think if I had to choose one forever and I could only ever have it, it'd be chocolate chip walnut.
Speaker 3: Hate nuts, hate like nuts, but not in the dessert nuts. And for one, I'm like on a trail. And even then, I'm just eating the m and lashasha sho. It's Tuesday, the second day of the week. As we all know, on the second day, God created the sky. I on this second day put forth a new episode, and it was good man, welcome to Tosh Show. Huh, that's how you get it started, Eddie.
Speaker 4: It is how you get started. A little blessing.
Speaker 1: Let people know where we came from. We came from the bottom. Adam and Eve.
Speaker 4: Yep, right, they were there at the bottom.
Speaker 3: Who made you?
Speaker 5: I was God?
Speaker 3: What else did God make all things?
Speaker 4: Things that were around us?
Speaker 3: You never were forced to memorize the shorter Catechism? Nope? Oh boy, well, I'm in a sour mood. I know we're gonna get some feedback from the audience.
Speaker 4: Feedback, but here we got's hold on.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I'm not ready. I gotta mentally prepare for feedback. From our viewers and our listeners, subscribers, some.
Speaker 3: Of our fans. Are they subscribing? Not at record pace.
Speaker 1: I'm told if we don't get our subscriber numbers up, that means they stay the same. I'd like our subscriber numbers to go down. I'd like people to unsubscribe. See if we can get that number back to zero.
Speaker 3: Be sure to unsubscribe.
Speaker 1: I want to see if we can get our show up to five million subscribers, and then I want to do the show and take it down to zero.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's possible.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anybody's ever accomplished that, got five million subscribers and then got it back down to zero, just through good old fashioned hate.
Speaker 3: Speaking of vitriol, let's hear from our fans.
Speaker 4: Here we go. I hate you, Daniel Tosh. How dare you advertise in the middle of the podcast?
Speaker 3: I feel you, buddy.
Speaker 1: You know my goal for this podcast, I've said this since day one, has always been to create a place for advertisers and consumers to just vibe.
Speaker 4: Next one, Tash's kid loves telling stories about Lake Tahoe. It's a total flex and he doesn't even know it.
Speaker 1: Now he knows it. Once someone asked my son in the jacuzzi. We were sitting in a jacuzzi, a public jacuzi. It was like a four seasons. They asked him if his jacuzzi at home was hotter than this, and he said, are you talking about Malibu or Tahoe?
Speaker 3: They just stand there like, uh, as my bougie boy, as my bougie boy.
Speaker 4: I feel like this show could be improved upon if he added another border or two.
Speaker 3: What are you the border patrol? I knew that the borders would be a game changer. The first big marketing meeting that we sat in right remember this, we were like, they kept pitching us all kinds of things to make the show stand out. And when that one team from San Francisco, from Silicon Valley just like, listen, it's just borders. All of our research is showing that if you make borders around your podcast, the sky's the limit. I'm glad we listened to them. We paid them, What do we plan for that first border? It was eighty five thousand dollars for the first version of the border. We said no to that one. Then we went a different firm. They actually charged us they charged us less thirty eight thousand, but gave us just a beautiful thick border. I hope it lives on forever.
Speaker 4: I wish your audio was more basy. I use headphones that amplify base, and this podcast sounds very flat and weird through them.
Speaker 1: Can't you just adjust the base on your end? You have to understand, I had Dylan back there. This guy can barely tell his left foot from his right, so give him an audio. Request has fallen on complete deaf ears. You might not even me rolling right now. There's a good chance this doesn't even air.
Speaker 4: When Eddie is giving his father's eulogy, Daniel should shout sonalos agus three times, test his commitment to the bit.
Speaker 3: All right, you spelled Shanale's agasts wrong first of all. Also Shenal's agusts everybody, Eddie, you're that that's technically you said the first one, so that doesn't count.
Speaker 4: No, you got me on a technicality by everybody.
Speaker 3: I hope, I hope, Eddie.
Speaker 1: I hope you have to start doing that on stage for forty five minutes every night of your life. If somebody be if people start heckling at your show with that, that'll be that'll be true.
Speaker 4: Heaven just peoplenals GISTs in the theater.
Speaker 3: Uh. All right, this is from.
Speaker 4: The Michelle Wee episode when he gave her cookies. Okay, Milkshaw Cookies closed as of January fifteenth. How old is this episode? You're serving up?
Speaker 3: All right? That's true.
Speaker 1: We pre record some of these and sadly, yes, they did close, and the entire Tosh family is still in mourning, so much so that today I have decided to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 3: Enjoy Pasha.
Speaker 1: Today's guest is a woman after my own heart, based solely on her quitting her job in television to spend the next ten years owning and running one of my favorite cookie shops.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Courtney. Hello, Courtney.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest with you. This is arguably the most important interview I've ever done. Cookies mean more to me than my family same, so let's waste no time. Where originally from? And have you always been obsessed with cookies?
Speaker 2: I was born in forwarth Texas, and then we moved to Indiana, a suburb of Indianapolis, when I was seven, and then moved out here when I was twenty two.
Speaker 6: So I've been here longer than I've been anywhere else but you.
Speaker 3: But you grew up in Indianapolis. Basically I did.
Speaker 2: I didn't answer your second question, which is have I always been obsessed with cookies?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, so when I was a kid, my mom taught me the basics of baking, and I really loved cookie dough, and so that was pretty much what I would be doing if I wasn't in school or in gymnastics, I was making.
Speaker 1: Cookie dough gymnastics. I was a gymnast, your competitive gymnast. Your father coached the US men's team.
Speaker 2: He was in charge of men's gymnastics. It was the men's program administrator for US Gymnastics.
Speaker 3: Your mother competed as well.
Speaker 6: She was She was a state champion in Texas.
Speaker 3: How tall are you?
Speaker 6: Five to two?
Speaker 3: You are? You look taller?
Speaker 6: So I carry myself up her?
Speaker 1: You do you carry yourself taller? I wouldn't have pegged you to five too. Yeah, my wife's five too. She pretends like that's tall. But you've tired at fourteen?
Speaker 6: Yeah, got injured?
Speaker 3: Did you? What kind of injury?
Speaker 2: It's like hips, like hip They never really identified it, but I just like I couldn't really lift my right leg above.
Speaker 3: What was your best event?
Speaker 6: Probably vault and floor the vault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so exciting, so exciting, and everything could go wrong, everything so bad, so fast.
Speaker 1: You just just the way you run at it makes me laugh every time.
Speaker 3: It's just like just this angry run.
Speaker 2: I mean it is, it is a sprint, and then you just hope for the best.
Speaker 3: How much money and is it possible?
Speaker 1: Could I pay you to full steam run and do the vault right now?
Speaker 3: Could you? Could you run? Hit it and do something?
Speaker 6: That's a really great question. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I could run, would you be I could jump on the board. I would be scared. Oh so great, I would be scared. I feel like I could do I don't know.
Speaker 3: You think you'd flip?
Speaker 6: I really want to try.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Put a price tag on that and come back to me. I grew up, you know, in love with cookies. My grandfather was a baker. Okay, my grandfather was a professional baker. My dad was a novice. Just you know, he grew up because of his dad. So I just second handed it. The amount of raw dough that I've consumed in my life.
Speaker 2: Is if it could kill you, I'd be dead a thousand times. Like that's the only reason I made cookie dough?
Speaker 3: Could that could explain my stomach issues my whole life.
Speaker 2: Now you just have like a normal, like a regular salmonilla case all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm running that a low just above.
Speaker 6: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: What did you move to Los Angeles for to work in TV? What aspect?
Speaker 6: Well? I had, I got a job.
Speaker 2: I have one of those stories where my aunt worked with a guy whose daughter worked out here. So my sophomore year of college, I cold called her and just tried to get advice. And so then whenever it came time me to graduate, she was being promoted from post production coordinator to supervisors. So I flew out the day after I graduated from college, interviewed for the post coordinator position. Had no idea what I was doing, but they took a chance on me, and yeah, I did that.
Speaker 1: For That's kind of one of my favorite things about Los Angeles that doesn't get enough attention is the amount of jobs in show business that will give people that have no experience. Yeah, I mean they turn over the keys to like young people doing really important things on stuff. Just a lot of times like on hype and stuff, and that's kind of a neat thing. I don't know anyway. All right, So how long did you work in that world?
Speaker 6: Twelve years?
Speaker 3: Twelve? Did you hate it or love it?
Speaker 6: I loved it. I mean it was hard.
Speaker 2: You know, there were there were particular shows that would be like, I hate this.
Speaker 3: You worked on the porn show on Hung Hung technically not porn, but that.
Speaker 6: Was the one show.
Speaker 2: Every morning they made me go to the post production facility and watch dailies and I was like.
Speaker 6: Well, coffee in my morning, porn, you know, like.
Speaker 3: It's so early to see dong.
Speaker 2: It was not great, but yeah, I really loved it. But then it was like I did the cookies on the side for the last seven years of that career and just kind of kept going back and forth.
Speaker 1: You just started bringing your cookies in or you always knew that you your cookies were a level above what other people do.
Speaker 2: No, it really was like bringing them in and because I, you know, single girl in my twenties is just bake at night and bring them in, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, as single girls do. I don't, is that something that's what I did.
Speaker 6: I haven't heard those I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just bring them in and then I started hearing kind of rumblings of like, hey, what bakery are these cookies from? Those are so good, and so then I just started thinking that was something to it. And it was always just chocolate chip at the time. And then I just started experimenting with other flavors and I loved that creative outlet. And then I was like, maybe I'll try to do something. So I started a you know, cookie company out of the coat closet of my one bedroom apartment and just like shoved a fax machine in there.
Speaker 6: It was very high tech.
Speaker 2: Oh, and just kind of did it on the side for a while and for.
Speaker 1: Seven years before then you opened the first brick and mortar. It was the first brick mortar, the one in wheel Share.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's April twenty thirteen, and.
Speaker 1: You ran that one for ten years. Pandemic, writers Strike, all of it. Writer's strike was a surprising one that affected you.
Speaker 6: If you have a soapbox, I'll get on it for a little while.
Speaker 2: But no, it's really interesting because there's been so little awareness of how deeply that impacted small businesses in this city.
Speaker 6: So like, what took us out is not unique to us.
Speaker 2: You know, we were a very successful, beloved business and it just thirty percent of our revenue went away overnight because we did so much catering to sets and you know, gifts for agents and managers and it was just like, you know, there was so much of it and then that was gone for it still hasn't really come back now.
Speaker 3: That I realized I don't have to buy gifts from my agents that money.
Speaker 2: But like the entire it wasn't just the writers and the actors. We know that the whole city wasn't working and so those people are also not spending money. So you know, the the foot traffic had never fully recovered since COVID. But then, you know, and then whatever cookies we were selling because we were very in support of the strike, I think it was a really important thing and we would you know, not just support it as a concept, but pass out cookies at the picket lines and all that stuff. But you know, then you're offering discounts to writers and actors that come in with their car. So it was just everything kind of trickled down and yeah, just ended up impacting us in a big way.
Speaker 1: You were in the process or you'd already opened the Pasadena location.
Speaker 3: In Cino in Sino.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's okay. We opened right when the strike started. It should have been the previous August, so it should have been a six month build out.
Speaker 6: A budgeted for nine and it took fifteen. That kind of gave.
Speaker 1: Us, you know, the nightmare building and stuff like that. It's just yeah, planned for four months, but then be like, all right, two years seems right.
Speaker 6: Oh, it seems it seems reasonable.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 6: Oh? Man, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I just was in Sacramento and my friend has a ghost hunting app.
Speaker 3: And she's single. No, oh, there's someone for everyone.
Speaker 6: So I don't know. I believe in energy, like I think we're all energy.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I off, No, that's okay, But I don't know, like I've never had a ghost experience.
Speaker 6: But this friend of mine then has the ghost.
Speaker 3: Hunting they have an app, so that's no.
Speaker 2: But she got the app because she had this experience in Scotland in an old inn where there was like the sound of like someone jumping on the bed and this like a child giggle.
Speaker 3: You don't like ghost with kids, that's all.
Speaker 6: It feels a little freaky.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One time I terrified my wife's cousin. She was standing in a small little cabin that we had, and I put a knife under her pillow and I and I put these little little notes all around the bed. I go kill her, not a ghost with crayons and I wrote, give me back.
Speaker 5: My dress, Amanda, bring me my dress, and all these old old photos of the house my dress please, ha ha ha. The lake is called help my dress.
Speaker 6: A knife under the pillow might have been a touch to me, nurse.
Speaker 3: It was. It was because you didn't find that until she's like laid that there's a Amanda knife.
Speaker 5: Fuck scary as fuck.
Speaker 1: And then when she went into the bathroom I had I had a doll hanging by a noose inner shower.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And like she like she was like she couldn't that, Ama, she was just couldn't handle to what levels I took.
Speaker 6: You know, Yes, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: Ye seen me walk into your store.
Speaker 1: I hadn't, okay, because I used I was always incognitive, but I would illegally park out front, just double park in front of somebody.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't like the parking situation. It actually infuriated me.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, Sometimes I would say to myself, I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Self, I don't need to be doing this right now.
Speaker 1: I'm driving around for a cookie and I'm looking for a parking spot.
Speaker 6: It did get bad.
Speaker 2: We had three spots in the back and there was a rear entrance, but then there was a public parking not to discount your there was a public parking lot on Cochrane and then metered all along Cochrane, Dunsmere and will Share.
Speaker 1: I've walked there before in my life from Carly's old house, which is is basically by like the Melrose improv that coming. Oh right, I walked the whole way. I was like, I was like, ah, this is awful, going through going through what mccallt park, pan Asian what's it called.
Speaker 2: Pan Pacific pantas Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Whatever I'm walking, I'm going through the little band tar pits to get a goddamn cookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I admire that.
Speaker 3: You were open till eleven o'clock at night. I couldn't wrap my head around that.
Speaker 6: Oh it's a.
Speaker 2: Party in the long before I opened, I was like, there's never a place like after you go to dinner in a movie, do you want to go get something?
Speaker 3: It was wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It was great.
Speaker 2: Okay, people are looking for a place to go and we were across from the l ray, so it was like after a show people could come over. And those were my favorite nights where there was just like an energy.
Speaker 6: It was a part. It was so fun.
Speaker 1: Are you like a donut make? Are you baking once? Are you baking throughout the whole day?
Speaker 6: Throughout the day?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, COVID changed things because like for two years everything was because we already individually wrapped and stuff if it was in a gift box.
Speaker 6: But then everything was individually wrapped. Love that.
Speaker 1: I'm also to continuous because your next chapter is going to be exciting, so I want to get as much feedback in as I can.
Speaker 3: Perfect knock it off with the stupid that paper. I hate your shread. Oh fuck your shred it's so much.
Speaker 2: I have an amazing story. This lady came in and she was just so mad. This is years ago, and she was I don't want to shrud and she was so mad and my employee and I didn't. I got in on late on the situation, because it would have been like, just take the tread, it's fine. But my employee was doing what they were trained to do. She handed to the box and the woman like takes it and just starts going and.
Speaker 6: Throwing it in the employee's face.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's too far.
Speaker 6: It's too far.
Speaker 3: I love this person, but that's way too far.
Speaker 2: You agree with her, but not the way it's principle exactly. But I was like, oh God, if anyone ever says no shred, don't give them the shred.
Speaker 6: It's fine.
Speaker 1: First of all, that's the worst part of a small business is employees.
Speaker 3: It's difficult.
Speaker 6: It's just a nice It can also be the most like rewarding.
Speaker 3: Okay, but let's focus on the negative. All right.
Speaker 6: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard, right, the individually wrapping, I was like, oh, why did I order a dozen? This is just fucking throw them into a I'm going to co workers. I'll just open it upright, just the individual bags. Yeah, I know, like come on.
Speaker 2: It's like so that because if you take a variety and somebody's got a peanut allergy and now you've got.
Speaker 1: This, you know, I hope they die for their stupid allergy. These are my employees that I'm giving it to. I don't care what happens. To go through your top five favorite cookie flavors that came from your store, I think if I had.
Speaker 2: To choose one forever and I could only ever have it, it'd be chocolate chip.
Speaker 6: Walnut used to just be chocolate chip.
Speaker 2: There's something magical that that walnut oil like does to the dough.
Speaker 3: Even hate nuts, My hat nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not like nuts, but either the not in the dessert nuts and for when I'm like on a trail.
Speaker 3: And even then I'm just eating them and m.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think banana split. Sorry again, walnuts in it, but no.
Speaker 3: The banana split bana split I could have it was that was a fancy concept, but I I'll be honest. The nuts were like, oh my.
Speaker 6: Gosh, yeah, can I can? I do seasons as well?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 2: Peppermint park I love the pepper I love peppermint picnic cookie?
Speaker 3: Was that one I had pretzel bits in it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I really loved the oatmeal chocolate chip. Ye, but I would want to walk in there and be like, hey, you know that batch that's that needs two more minutes.
Speaker 6: That's the one you want.
Speaker 3: Let's pull it out now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the oatmeal, they would they got a little dry faster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always do double parchment paper. Oh and the reason is I just don't want the bottom burnt at all or dark or anything.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's my thing with I just live by parchment paper.
Speaker 6: Double part that's a ball or move double parchment. I'm going to I'm going to take that.
Speaker 3: You gotta spend to make.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The birthday cookie was one of my favorite, with the scoop of a no ice cream warmed. I would heat it up. He reheats very nicely. Yeah, I'm on tour. I was in Texas, I believe.
Speaker 3: At the time. Anyway, my tour bus in the daytime near my hotel, pitch Black, it's not. And Pete, who's a producer on the show. His wife who was a comedy writer of mine writer and a friend she was on tour. Well, she came to the bus in the middle of the day to do something and she opens the door and I'm alone in the bus in the dark, just eating the cookie by myself, and she's like, you have She's like, you really have a problem. It's like the afternoon problem.
Speaker 6: Is it just a self care?
Speaker 1: You charged three to four dollars a cookie during its peak? How much money were you printing like that? That's such a.
Speaker 3: Small amount of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for like you know, yearly you make a pulling in, there's like a million dollar dollars.
Speaker 3: Off of a three to four dollars product. That's very impressive.
Speaker 6: We sold a lot.
Speaker 3: In terms of flavors, which cookies were selling the most, Chocolate.
Speaker 2: Chip was definitely the most popular, and then Banana split. Some people love a classic, but they like the adventure too. And then Birthday Cookie that actually started as a seasonal. I don't know if you remember that. It was the monthly flavor for our first anniversary in twenty fourteen, and then after that it was the one everybody's like, where's the Birthday cookie?
Speaker 1: Well, in fairness, sometimes you would. I would go in there and be like, there'd be a Birthday cookie disguised as a Halloween cookie.
Speaker 6: We would change the color of the sprinkles. It's true. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, it's fine, that's fine. I actually don't like the color orange and black, but whatever I liked the other color was pretty er. Yeah, and also would make when it was heated and you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it would do some picturette it would do some nice stuff to the ice cream.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you appreciate your appreciation for the aesthetic.
Speaker 6: It's good.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite holiday?
Speaker 6: Christmas? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Over at Christmas in my house, I do a few things. They do a few traditional things. I do a short bread. You don't mess with short but I do one short bread. But then I do this bar peanut or pudding chocolate bar. And then I do my regord traditional Christmas cookie, which I actually love, which is obviously.
Speaker 6: The rollout kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: Fun. I do a little orange peel in there.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that adds You can taste You can taste that orange peel, can't you, Pete, No, not even paying attention over there. I want to talk about Yelp. You ran a business in Los Angeles during the time of Yelp. Talk a little about the bullshit with reviewers and navigating those waters.
Speaker 6: Oh man, you live and die by yelp. You really do.
Speaker 2: For the most part, people were so kind to us on Yelp, and that was we never had a marketing budget.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 2: It was all organic growth and so A lot of that was because of Yelp and people being so generous as to you know, take pictures and post them and do one or full reviews, and then you have the ones that are just so off base and not accurate at all.
Speaker 1: Owner, did you reply to people, because I always feel that that's is tough when I start seeing owners going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Oh, it would never be like you're wrong. I mean that's you're just asking for more. Like I would reply, and because I always wanted to make it right, you know, like the fact that they had chosen Milk Jark Cookies to come and spend their hard earned money and their time, and like that was never anything I took lightly.
Speaker 3: My money was not hard earned, just for the.
Speaker 2: Record, but it was just and that was something of this staff was always and it was just like, this is a privilege that they are choosing us.
Speaker 6: Some people you're never going to place and that's fine.
Speaker 2: It's the people that are like one star because parking was terrible, right, you know, it's like that's not our problem.
Speaker 3: That's why I don't find you useful.
Speaker 1: No, I look at it. I have my own metric of how I get aged. Yeah, like if somebody's complaining about the price or the portion size.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care. I need the review like, oh they won't serve Asians, and then.
Speaker 6: I'll be like, oh, like that's terrible, that's a bad place.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't support them, right, what is that place that won't serve ass Again?
Speaker 6: You shipped worldwide, not worldwide, but nationwide at one point.
Speaker 2: Shit, we're able to ship to Canada easily, and then twenty sixteen some things changed.
Speaker 3: And you're a big anti vaxer right totally?
Speaker 6: But yeah, no, we did.
Speaker 2: Uh. It included Hawaii and Alaska, which we did ship to, and Puerto Rico.
Speaker 6: We had a Cookie of the Month club member in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: I gifted a box of your cookies to Michelle Wee, who I've interviewed on this show. Really yes, but that was in protest from my wife because my wife can gets so mad every month when the box came, because she was like, you're going to die, Like She's like, we don't need you don't need a somebody had gifted me.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yeah, every month I got a box. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Are there any current cookie companies you would recommend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because I mean I'm a cookie lover.
Speaker 6: Of course I think mine are the best.
Speaker 2: But I will eat, you know, a grocery store bakery cookie.
Speaker 1: But I have recently stopped if I bite a cookie that I no longer want to eat before, I.
Speaker 3: Just eat it, right, Yeah, it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Here's another problem with when you love cookies and then everybody buys you cookies.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, we're going to give you a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't want a lot because now I have to either do the stupid freezer thing or I have to start to vale eat them, right, And I don't like to give them away. But it's like and they're only really the best day one and day two. Yeah, so now it's just I'm just sick to my stomach anyway, all right, that's my soapbox.
Speaker 2: So yes, so I've and during like the course of our shutdown and you know, selling off all the things, I got to meet several other bakery owners, which was a nice gift. So there's one in Culver City called the Very Best Cookie Company. There is a new one, I think it's called flour at Sell.
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 2: It's flur at Cell what is that flour and salt?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't like them, but I like it.
Speaker 2: And then there is Cookie Good in Santa Monica. So all of these are independently owned.
Speaker 1: What's his name over there, John He He likes zoo Eyes.
Speaker 6: I have not ever tried Zoe's.
Speaker 3: I've tried them. They're fine.
Speaker 1: I still can't get over the fact that you're going into a gas station to buy the.
Speaker 6: Most esthetically pleasing right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are good. I've had a few of them. Are good. You fuck with girlscot cookies, I do.
Speaker 6: I was a Girl Scout top selling cookies. Of course.
Speaker 3: What was your favorite one, Benn? Did you have to put in the freezer?
Speaker 6: Oh? For sure, there's so much better in the freezer. And I like a samoa.
Speaker 3: I like a samoa, And there's room for.
Speaker 6: A dosy dough.
Speaker 2: The little peanut butter sandwich thing, I don't love it, Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 3: The treefoil, treefoil, Yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, short bread, you can't go wrong.
Speaker 3: Do you ever do mess with short bread?
Speaker 2: Your store?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 3: Your store didn't.
Speaker 6: We did chewy cookies. I don't like a hard cookie.
Speaker 3: I don't either, that's why most of Girl Scouts were awful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, cookies, there's a place for it.
Speaker 1: You know, what's the difference between baking soda and baking powder.
Speaker 2: Baking powder has other things in it, So it's got baking soda and it has I want to say, some.
Speaker 6: Corn starch and terrible bake.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the third ingredient, but anyway, they're kind of interchange.
Speaker 3: Can baking powder keep your cabinets fresh?
Speaker 6: I don't think, you know, I don't think.
Speaker 2: So that's where baking soda wins bakings.
Speaker 1: That was a marketing genius right there. So you know what, buy these and just don't use them.
Speaker 6: Oh, arm and hammer?
Speaker 3: What do you bake besides cookies?
Speaker 2: I like?
Speaker 6: I love to.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm not great, Like I'm a terrible decorator, like icing and frosting.
Speaker 3: I like cake without icing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like just the cake.
Speaker 3: I had a naked cake for my wedding.
Speaker 6: Oh really yeah? I like pie a lot.
Speaker 3: What kind of pie are you making?
Speaker 6: Usually like a fruit pie? So like mixed berry?
Speaker 3: I like a heavy crumble.
Speaker 6: Yes, then that's the whole point.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like you get the fruit, but like that's the good part, you know, like the brown sugar and the crust and all that. Not big on like a pumpkin pie.
Speaker 3: No, it's disgusting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the worst.
Speaker 3: I don't want to eat a rhubarb pie either, that's too much. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: Disgusting what I was mixed with?
Speaker 2: Strawberry No, no, not even okay, strawberry pie.
Speaker 3: So hey, what are you doing the rest of the day. I don't know, I'll be shitting. I just had a small slice strawberry pie, just so much. You like Sidecard Donuts? You ever had there?
Speaker 6: I like Side Card Donuts, you know, like them?
Speaker 3: It's a bit much. They have a cookie dough. They have a cookie dough. I don't message. Did you have it? Did?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: I know, I'm like, I'll go into a diabetic kalma.
Speaker 1: Do you guys know that it's got a ball of cookie dough inside a huge thick cake donut.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I love like their regular just like cake donut.
Speaker 3: Good stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went through a phase with that donut. No, it's embarrassing. Listen, what are you gonna do? We've all got our things. You brought cookies today?
Speaker 6: I did right, a birthday and chocolate chip.
Speaker 1: I this morning made cookies for you. That's great, but I mean it's terrifying. But I tried to make a cookie that that was like. I was like, I don't want to make something similar. But and then then my wife said like, don't do that cookie. And I'm like, oh, and she's so she made me do her favorite cookie. Okay, this was I did. This is oatmeal chocolate chip. But another thing that my wife forces me to do. She hates chocolate chips in quantity. Okay, so I have to put or three per cookie. Okay, God, now again, I alright, whatever I mean, I'm too much. You just have to taste it into a review of my cookie on some level.
Speaker 6: Okay, mmm, okay, it's got the crisp ouder.
Speaker 3: But you can do.
Speaker 1: I feel like you should go for more of an inner bite. But that's no, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Do you do you? You do you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No? No, I I mean I think you got some of my hair.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: That's good. It's not too sweet.
Speaker 2: I like a balanced flavor, so like I always had not overly sweet cookies.
Speaker 3: I like that you put a banana inside your.
Speaker 2: Cookie and salt. Do you bake with salted butter unsulted, unsulted. Yeah, and then add the salt totally.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's stressful. Stress. That's good.
Speaker 6: All right, that's a good cookie, even for a thin cookie.
Speaker 3: I know it's hard to do.
Speaker 1: But to keep it Doughey, I was going, thank you, I was going to and I do the bang, you know the bang where you them. Yeah, I do that during the process. It's almost I almost feel like did you ever watch Grace British bake Off?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I almost felt like that was it. That was like my handshake moment.
Speaker 6: Handshake, like that's my dream.
Speaker 3: You would like to go on that show?
Speaker 6: No, I just want a handshake. That show would be so strong. I mean, it would be so fun, and they're so sweet to each other. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: When somebody is bad, I almost I am excited because I can't wait to see this disaster. Have you ever been on a show?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Would you scary?
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's scary.
Speaker 3: I don't like I get it. Why they have to do it for television? I don't. I don't want to care about a time element. Yeah, you won because you finished on time.
Speaker 1: Somebody else took four more minutes and it was the best cookie in the world. Well, I got a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, that's not right.
Speaker 3: Let me see your cookies. Just I like the idea that this is.
Speaker 1: Uh oh oh, I'm gonna say this out loud. The chocolate chip these look better than some of the store bought ones.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, really controls a bitch.
Speaker 1: The lightness of the colors what I like. Yeah, Now, in the store they they were sprinkled in the bottom of these inside.
Speaker 2: Well sometimes they would like know all the time. Well, then the kitchen was not doing it properly.
Speaker 3: They were they were the bottom was never clean like that.
Speaker 6: Well, I just have the touch.
Speaker 2: I haven't lost it. I actually took a picture this morning and said it to my friend. I was like, still got it.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to go chocolate chip just because I'm in the mood for chocolate chip right now.
Speaker 3: I don't want my memory there is that so funny? Pete? How often had did you see those cookies you sort of left out of the tour bus stories?
Speaker 4: You flew across the country with enough to last you the tour you did.
Speaker 6: That's so great, Thank you, I did.
Speaker 3: No one wants to touch him he's her mine.
Speaker 6: Hang a share. There you go.
Speaker 3: You have a dog, I do. What's your dog's name?
Speaker 6: Ollie how old thirteen? Uh oh, he's a handsome devil and.
Speaker 3: You're about to not have a dog stop it. I know.
Speaker 6: But that's the day I brought him home. I was like, he's gonna die some day.
Speaker 3: It's what I do.
Speaker 6: It's the worst.
Speaker 1: That's why I have two dogs. I have a fourteen year old dog at home. And let me tell you something. She will get trapped under a chair, like she can just walk out, but she'll she'll She'll be frozen for forty five minutes, and I'm just like, oh, come on, and she can't hear, she doesn't really see. And then sometimes she'll start running as fast as she can right into a glassdoor.
Speaker 3: Just it's just awful. You're like, oh, this is bad.
Speaker 2: He's hanging in there right now. He's very he's a pretty healthy dog.
Speaker 3: I have an er gift for you. It's no good, though, it's no good. It's dog beds. Amazing you might, I don't know you're gonna get them all. This is no good. I like that.
Speaker 6: So when I get more dog, what is.
Speaker 3: I always give?
Speaker 1: I always give people stuff that are on my should But all right, let me put these down.
Speaker 3: Hold on, some of these are nice. They are not all of them, but these these are these are nice.
Speaker 6: Carl.
Speaker 3: Carl refuses to sleep in a dog bed.
Speaker 1: Well, no matter what, my other dog refuses to sleep in a dog bed.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why do we have these dog bets?
Speaker 1: What's next for you? As someone who's already had two full careers. Are you hanging up the apron or are you ready to bake once more?
Speaker 2: I think I'm hanging it up, Like I don't know that I ever need to have another bakery and own that kind of business. And I've become very passionate about advocating and supporting small business as a whole, and so I've been having a lot of conversations about ways to do that. So whether it's running for office for office, I don't know it's enough.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, no, I mean that's incredible. I don't know why that's my because it's.
Speaker 2: A chit show and it is accesspool in a lot of ways, but you know, it's a concept. I have fun necessity, but I think there are other ways to make change as well. So I'm just kind of trying to figure out what that is. I did a program with Goldman Sachs in twenty twenty that was essentially a micro MBA that you apply for and you just come out of the program with a five year growth plan for your business. And they have an advocacy side that's ten thousand small business voices, and so I've been talking with them a lot, trying to figure out if there's opportunity there or I just think that it's the lifeblood of every community, is the small businesses, and they're struggling, you know, everywhere, but especially here.
Speaker 6: If you have another soapbox, I haven't that.
Speaker 1: No, listen, if you have even any ideas to fix the broken system, that seems like work that would be appreciated. But yeah, would you have no side hustle bake just like online order type thing or.
Speaker 3: Is that not?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it's so funny because if I were to even open that door, like I wouldn't be able to. I would have to have a kitchen, I would have to have, you know, space to do the packaging, sorry, the individual wrapping to ship them, got to have space to store all that shred.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: What about already an business, it's established, but like you just take over the baking portion of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think consulting for small businesses is something I've thought about doing, and I was kind of doing that offhandedly when people were coming in to purchase stuff and there's just a lot of I think there's a lot of things that have been overlooked with small business and all just there's not a lot of education out there, and so I.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why most businesses fail is because everybody goes into a completely blind Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I was hoping we were going to brainstorm on your next big venture. But if it's just fixing every other small business, that's that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I'm open to the magic. I really am.
Speaker 3: All Right, guys, we're going to open up a waffle store.
Speaker 1: Oh I love. I love what you call it. What's the waffle of the sugar? That's the Belgian wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My son once I told him, I go, hey, they said that you don't need to eat breakfast, that you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have waffles at school today. You know. He's like four at the time. Yeah, and he but Dad, what if they're not Belgian?
Speaker 6: That's a bougie kid. Yes, I love that.
Speaker 3: I wasn't embarrassed. I was proud. Yeah, I was good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely listen, I hope you fix every small business world. That's that's amazing that that's even something that you're interested in helping. Thank you for being on the show. And I appreciate all your cookies that you've baked over the years for me.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for being such a supportive customer. It is much appreciated.
Speaker 2: And thanks for having this was really fun, Pasha.
Speaker 1: I want to thank Courtney for being on the show. I really do hope she throws away all her aspirations for running for a political office and fixing tons of other small businesses. And I hope she focuses solely on baking. But that's just me and I'm selfish. By the way, Carl, she took all of your beds. She took your five beds. You have no more beds, Okay, you can just sleep wherever you want. No longer will I be forcing you to get into a bed. He just lay down on the floor like you always do. Finally get all that extra floor space back. That'll be nice. And thank you for Courtney for the cookies. Oh by the way, you know what's funny. So I'm driving here, you know, to Baldwin Hills live here. Uh, and then I realized, oh no, I forgot to bring the five dog beds that I set out to give away today. And then somebody tells me here They're like, you know, you can just use Uber. You don't have to put a human in it. You can just hire Uber to deliver your stuff. I'm like, are you serious? And sure enough we did it. Just add an Uber driver, pick up your dog beds and bring them here like fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: It's an hour drive. I'm impressed. Uber. Quite a service you came up with. There.
Speaker 1: They got to give us money, give us money Uber for me just plugging your weird what's it called Uber connect Express is what I'm told that sounds like a paid ad.
Speaker 3: It's not. I shouldn't say it the right way. I'm just called Uber Delivery.
Speaker 1: Whatever the very least, reimburse me the fifty two dollars I just spent.
Speaker 3: You tip on a package.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know how much you tip on that package, Pete ten bucks, sixty two dollars. That's the very least you can do, don't make this show run in the red. What do we gotta plug A few things? The Goat the reality show still guys, jump on Prime check it out, do that thing where you if you're not a member, you don't have the streaming service, you can always find a way to get seven days free with some bogus email.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it works.
Speaker 1: And watch all ten episodes and hopefully we'll get back to shooting a new season. And you know who I want on the next season of The Goat. I want some of the cast members from selling the oc. It's like selling Sunset butt instead of just crazy outfits in all girls. There's some guys and then there's some girls. But they don't dress as crazy, and they got their boobs out always. Their boobs are all always out. Anyway, let's get some of them on the show on the new season of The Goat. They're pretty crazy. Boys Wearpink dot com the Toddler clothing line. Check that out. Come see me on tour. Do stand up in Sandy Nez or New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Come to New Orleans, grab yourself a Poe Boy and a beignet and have a good laugh. Or come to Hawaii with me for Thanksgiving. I should bring a viewer with me to Hawaii phol trip.
Speaker 1: You get a you come with me on the trip, and you come to the shows. Some shows are Maui's, some in Honolulu. Do the whole thing. Here's a part of my life. You live with me for six months. Make it a viewer that thinks I'm completely out of touch. Uh, and let them just live with me for six months. I want them to walk six months in my shoes and then then say, oh, you know what, turns out that's way better than I thought it was. You know what for scratch, I don't want to do that. Don't let anybody live with me, and nobody comes with me. Maybe I'll meet somebody in Maui. That's what we should do. Somebody's devastated by the fire, the fires in Maui a few years ago. We should we should just take care of one person.
Speaker 3: I like that because it's always like, oh, oh, we donated to whatever, and it's like it's just spread too thin. I don't have enough money to make it like actually helpful. But if we just pick one person and it's like here, let's let's make your holidays better. Oh you know what else I've wanted to do.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to rent a truck and fill it with turkeys and uh for Thanksgiving and then go to a real nice neighborhood and give them out.
Speaker 3: Hey, that bitch of nice, that bit you. They'd like free turkeys too.
Speaker 4: Frozen ones are live, know the live turkeys. If you really want this turkey, you're gonna have to work for it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and let me tell you something about killing a live turkey.
Speaker 1: You don't want to let it know that you're killing them, because then that their meat tenses up. I think you want to You want to sneak up on them samurai style and just swing, because the last thing you want before they die, you don't want their adrenaline to go flying through their muscles. I don't know if that's true or not, but I think I heard that once on some show that was disgusting. All right, another bedtime story from my son. I see you guys next week.
Speaker 7: All right, go ahead, what's upon time in this so away planet? Like they riddle atronauts? They waded to the knowing tame so what they needed to tall? Where the water is sip? They brated to dot and ten oh blow They said, And then the anaut waded and waded.
Speaker 6: And then the wai tame.
Speaker 7: So so anybody I didn't how accept the mulder beasts, and they mild up beasts. But then sire and and he brooded siah out. And there was a time the dragged he were purple with flight on him always. Then then when there were night time, he he got out of bed. He got out, he went outside, and there were.
Speaker 3: The beast of.
Speaker 7: It was told it was told him preezing beasts, and that presently blew him and told him into assat you but this, and then he told back, and then he woved bow, and then missile beast flew away. Yeah, and then the aftronaut waited and wait they did, and then they saw another one to sip with the TV caten. And then they got wrote and put to the astronaut. They didn't know they were their titty tatten that the atronaut and then the season whistled loudly, and then and then and then so away to the rest to the sull says, and then then and and then they all went to bed.
Speaker 3: The end