Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Ryan Callahan, Mark Kenny and Chester, Floyd, Seth Morris, Tony Peterson, Ford Van Fawsen, and Logan Williamson. Logan, this is your first time on Trivia. Tell folks what you do at first Light.
Speaker 2: I am the Waterfoul category manager here. That means that I managed our apparel in gear lines on our camera lines for waterfowl gear.
Speaker 3: Waterfoul category.
Speaker 1: We just learned about a whole bunch of cool waterfowl stuff. What gets you most excited? Cal about what Logan showed us this week?
Speaker 4: Well, obviously I've been like slow playing the waiter thing, and the waiters are awesome and big foundational piece. I mean, all the additions this year are sweet. People are gonna love them. They're great. But the thing that continues to impress me is like our refuge parka I used for an entire year as a bed in the dog blind or in the in the blind for snort, So just getting covered in mud and dog and dog claws and you know, launching off after birds super excited. Used it for a year.
Speaker 1: Did you ever wear it?
Speaker 5: I never wore it?
Speaker 4: And then last year.
Speaker 1: And this is the endorsement you're choosing to have. Is that your dog? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is real stuff.
Speaker 1: Okayle keep going.
Speaker 4: I'm in last year, I actually wore that same jacket even though it did not look great and was still completely waterproof, wind proof, just a burly, freaking awesome jacket and you can still swing a shotgun in it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, an endorsement from Cal and snort. Okay, yep, it's good, Mark and Tony. This is your first time in the new studio. You think of our new setup, how to Phil do? It's a little dark, is it?
Speaker 6: But other than that, just kidding Phil, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's going to change your trivia game.
Speaker 7: I think it's gonna help me win. Feel the vibe in here.
Speaker 6: What's gonna change the vibe is that there's some parody, right Brody and Steve on here right now? So I feel like it is an open it's an open contest today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just way more relaxed. Yeah, did you cater to anyone in this room today? Spencer being honest to identify the shills. To stick with our earlier poker theme.
Speaker 1: I did not. If you're on the Meat Eater First Light f HF, Dave Smith, Decoy's phelps, if you're on their payroll, you don't get a bone thrown to you.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: All the folks in here are. Corey's also trying to mess with the vibe with the with the upside down sunglasses. He's got like a World Series of Poker thing going on over here.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I noticed you didn't mention my name either, so it must be really and everybody that's see you're right. That's where it threw me off. And we're joined by Corey Calkins.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the week this week we're comparing the performance of Mark Kenyon and Tony Peterson.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 1: Now, these two fellas are our nerdiest white tail nerds, which is what makes them such good hosts of Wired Hunt, but does that make them good at trivia? Does Room have any predictions on how these two stand in our four categories? Mark, Tony, what do you guys saying?
Speaker 7: Spencer? Can you give us a hint? If there are any questions about pollinators?
Speaker 1: No? No, no pollinator questions.
Speaker 7: Then Mark doesn't have an advantage.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm saying for your your historical performance, which one of you two does better? You think?
Speaker 3: I bet you? We're really close.
Speaker 6: Okay, I think we're really close, and I think we're everything I've been involved in. We're like one tier below the winners usually, yeah, give or taken that we're like.
Speaker 7: The Wired to Hunt bridesmaids. Sure, we're never we're always like second or third place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, now, Mark said that you guys are really close. Uh he was talking about performance, but also just like you have a good relationship. Again. This week, while they're in Bozeman, they're sharing a hotel room. Mark told me something that I think might have been off the record. But we're going to talk about the podcast. First night you guys were here, you stayed up till one o'clock just chatting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're people, don't know this, but we are actually best friends okay, like super maybe even super best friends.
Speaker 4: Super best and they're both side sleepers only one necessary and.
Speaker 7: Uh but we go north south. Oh yeah, it's not weird.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no.
Speaker 1: What did you guys talk about until one am in your hotel room?
Speaker 3: Can we be real about this?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Tony shared with me embarrassing stories about his family history, that's true, some very strange conspiracy theory beliefs not mine necessarily okay, and uh, some dark stories from Tony's past, as well as a deep conversation around why have we not been back to the moon in so many decades?
Speaker 1: And that sounds like another conspiracy theory.
Speaker 8: Did you guys have some drinks or no?
Speaker 3: We're both completely sober now. Yeah. True, Spencer said were the nerdiest of the whitetail hunters.
Speaker 9: But to be clear, you didn't talk about white tails at all.
Speaker 3: I don't think we did.
Speaker 5: Got it under no white tails?
Speaker 8: Maybe if you guys don't win, you can like change the podcast name like Wired for Second or something like that.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be some new spinoff here for sure.
Speaker 1: Here is comparing your performance in the category of hunting, Mark gets forty percent of questions right, while Tony gets seventy one percent. Really job, Tony. In the category of fishing, Mark gets forty percent of questions right while Tony gets eighty percent. In the category of conservation, Mark gets fifty nine percent of questions right while Tony gets sixty seven percent. And in the category of cooking, Mark gets twenty five percent of questions right while Tony gets thirty three percent. A clean sweep across the board. On average, Mark gets four point six points per game, while Tony gets six point three. I think, Taylor per game you think so?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like I've never gotten less than five that I can remember.
Speaker 1: I will double check these stats for you. Mark, We'll come.
Speaker 4: Here and get a third party audit.
Speaker 7: I think that's a very accurate assessment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would say that, but no, I feel like the pressure's on now.
Speaker 3: I need to beat Tony the time it counts now.
Speaker 1: Here's our zero percent or question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode three seventy six. The topic was gear and nobody got it right. Here's the question. If you know the answer, you just shout it out. Besides a blade, name two of the three tools that the first Swiss Army Knife had kirkscrew, tweezersweezers. So a let's see the You said tweezers, corkscrew, What else was said? Saw? File, scissors. The incorrect answers given in the game we played were scissors, saws, and tweezers. The correct answer was a screwdriver, a can or bottle opener, and a reamer.
Speaker 4: Uh, the old first.
Speaker 1: Swiss Army knife. Yeah, we have some housekeeping to get to. On a previous show, we talked about woodchucks, which inspired a bunch of comedians to write in with the trivia question how much wood would a woodchuck chuck? If a woodchuck could chuck, would.
Speaker 4: You chuck all the wood that woodchuck could If would woodchuck could chuck?
Speaker 1: Would I have a better answer, cal? As it turns out this riddle actually has a saw. In the nineteen eighties, a biologist from New York observed groundhogs and determined that they could dig an entire burrow in one day. These burrows were about thirty five feet long, which meant they moved seven hundred pounds of dirt. Now to convert that to wood, we can look at the weight of a green piece of cottonwood, which weighs fifty nine pounds per square foot. So to answer the question, a woodchuck could chuck twelve square feet of wood per day? If a woodchuck could chuck would well, that doesn't rhyme those twelve square feet of green cottonwood per day. Cal, does that reinforce what you think you know about woodchucks? Does that seem right that they could chuck twelve square feet of wood to day?
Speaker 4: No? I just look at them as like little bears that eat a variety of things that, in my mind would make them very tasty. Although I've never never killed one, I don't think i've killed one on a friend's deck because it was you know when they peon stuff at stains wood.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, but you didn't eat it.
Speaker 4: I didn't know we were in we were in fishing mode, and that was just kind of like part of the the business that had to be taken care of before we got to go fish.
Speaker 1: Don't show up to Cal's buddies deck to pean it. You're gonna get shot. It's more of a story. Now, the Shelby index for today's game is a three. Our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 3: Now the glasses are really.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Thunderdome game on Suckers.
Speaker 1: That was fun, Phil, you have out done yourself.
Speaker 4: I felt like we were on Who.
Speaker 1: Wants to Be a Millionaire there because I didn't realize until you just did it. But the lights do a lot of stuff during that music, right Phil.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I just uh, it's a lot of button presses. I did them in the right order. We'll see if I can keep that up for the next however many years this show runs.
Speaker 1: Well done, Phil, I figure o how to turn these off?
Speaker 5: Just just keep going. I'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is conservation and this will be multiple choice. This first great question comes to us via Dusty Mara. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Which of these things takes the longest to decompose? Is it a glass jar, a leather shoe, aluminum can or plastic bottle? Again, the topic is conservation, Which of these things takes the longest to decompose? Glass, jar, leather shoe, aluminum can, plastic bottle?
Speaker 4: Spencer, I gotta tell you, guy came in to uh, young young guy came into the tent sale that we had over the weekend and he was looking looking for you had a bone to pick?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: He's like, yeah, I keep sending in trivia and none of them have been picked, so they haven't been read. I said, okay, well, yeah, sometimes you know you can't get through all your emails and stuff. And I was like, how do you know he's not reading them? He goes, because they haven't been on the show.
Speaker 1: It's good. I like his comp We will have a future stat coming up about what your odds are of getting a question read on the show, because we have a lot of people with that same feedback wondering why their question never made it to air. So we'll learn what your chances are. Does everybody have an answer for which of these things takes the longest to decompose? Glass, jar, leather shoe, aluminum can, plastic bottle, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying plastic bottle, Tony saying glass jar. Chest, you're saying plastic bottle, Seth saying glass jar, col saying plastic bottle, Mark saying plastic bottle, Logan saying plastic bottle, Forward saying plastic bottle. Nobody went with leather shoe or aluminum can. The correct answer is glass jar. A few folks got it right. It takes fifty years for a leather shoe to decompose, two hundred and fifty years for an aluminum can, five hundred years for a plastic bottle, and one million years for a glass jar. This is because there are no micro organisms in nature that can break down glass. It's estimated that only twenty eight percent of glass in America gets recycled, meaning millions of tons enter landfills every year.
Speaker 4: You want to know why you're wrong here, go ahead, because plastic just get smaller doesn't decompose.
Speaker 5: Bro Y Pross.
Speaker 1: You can take it up with the folks that gave the stat one million years.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm not going to sit here and just beat you over the head with this. Okay, you're wrong, we all know it, and we can move on.
Speaker 3: Thank you can.
Speaker 1: Question two the topic is cooking, although it's named after in Asian City. This crispy dumpling was invented in San Francisco in the nineteen fifties. A stumped room. Although it's named after in Asian City, This crispy dumpling was invented in San Francisco in the nineteen fifties. Corey with the quickest answer, I think, Corey, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Check?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see how these sunglasses fair for you. Is it going to be performance based on if you wear them again? Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How's the rest of the room feel? Seth, you were quick to answer, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: No, Just first thing it popped in my head.
Speaker 1: Cal how about you.
Speaker 4: I'm just dying to know the composition of this glass jar and why we need it to disintegrate or you know, because you know, I mean, it's if it's really glass, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Point is, don't leave glass in the woods.
Speaker 4: Agree, Glass can turn into basically like a sand and be totally negated, whereas plastics, they're going to eventually make it back into you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's where my mind went as a kid picking up sea glass on the shore. It's all smooth and beautiful. But I guess it doesn't decomposed technically speaking.
Speaker 4: But it will get there whereas a plastic Just think cows there.
Speaker 1: You got it wrong, No, does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 4: To pick a question that has a finite answer?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Although it's named after an Asian city, this crispy dumpling was invented in San Francisco in the nineteen fifties. Logan, how we doing?
Speaker 4: Just pick an Asian city?
Speaker 1: Logan, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey sang Rangoon, Tony saying, what does that say? Tony Manila, Manila, Chester sang Wanton. That's not a good sign for your answer, Seth sang Wanton, Cal sang Wanton, Mark Sang Hong Kong Dumpling. Logan sang Wanton, Ford sag Wanton. We have a correct answer in the room. It's rangoon. Cory got it right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: The first known rangoon was served at a Polynesian restaurant called Trader Vix in California. Early you've been there.
Speaker 5: Been there, but it's one of the most famous tiki bars.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so that's kind of devastating.
Speaker 9: Isn't that reference ware Wolds of London by Warren Zevone drinking his hair was perfect?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, that's why we have here. Kell is for tiki bar knowledge. Yeah, good on, you.
Speaker 5: Halt the show and kiss everybody off.
Speaker 1: Early versions of the dumpling were filled with crab or cream cheese, just like today. If you want to learn how to make them with smoked trout, then go to the meadeater dot com and check out Jenny Wheatley's article for smoked fish rangoon. Question three, The topic is hunting. This next great question comes to us via Dusty Mora. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eatter Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com.
Speaker 3: Didn't you already get a question?
Speaker 1: I think he had, So here's the thing, Mark. Either I made a mistake or I used two of his questions. I will solve that after this episode. Question three, What was the nickname of the AK fifty seven uzzy radar laser triple barrel, double scoped heat seeking shotgun into dirty point buck?
Speaker 8: My gosh, I gotta run through this song quick. It's just gonna take a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh, a favorite song of mine.
Speaker 1: Here's the question again. What was the nickname of the AK fifty seven uzzy radar laser, triple barrel, double scoped heat seeking shotgun into dirty point buck.
Speaker 4: I thought you weren't playing to people in the room.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know that it is.
Speaker 4: It's not a Montana thing by Brown that's hurting.
Speaker 1: Where are you from?
Speaker 3: Logan, Michigan?
Speaker 1: Okay? This helps you? Forty from Maryland? Right?
Speaker 4: Quit making so much noise.
Speaker 8: You're waking me up that song?
Speaker 1: Do you mind?
Speaker 3: Keep you just keep singing it.
Speaker 7: I don't have you heard that song?
Speaker 6: I've heard so many times this is a softball and I can't think of it right now.
Speaker 4: Heard zero times?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 3: Zero times?
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 9: I mean to be fair here we are talking about it profoundly Midwestern song.
Speaker 4: But this is a dear camp culture thing.
Speaker 1: We tried to represent all parts of the country in trivia. This one happens to favor folks us Westerns.
Speaker 4: You know, we're independent folk spencer. We like to strike out on our own form, our own traditions, but our solo pursuits tackle nature head on.
Speaker 1: Don't listen to music live live by our own means. Here's the question again. What was the nickname of the AK fifty seven ouzy radar laser triple barrel, double scoped heat seeking shotgun into turty Point buck Chester. How are we doing over there? You've been thinking long and hard. I seeing you wording the lyrics? Do you think you've come up with the right answer? No, Marcus, how about you screw me up?
Speaker 5: Don't even look at him.
Speaker 1: You need to give him some time otherwise this may be a zero percent er question of the week. How about you, Tony, you're gonna get this clue?
Speaker 7: No clue?
Speaker 1: I know Cal is even going to write down an answer.
Speaker 4: I wrote down an answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great one. Okay, say classic firearm name? Is that the kind of how the song goes?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Marcus?
Speaker 3: How we do it?
Speaker 6: And then I started singing like the fifty seven US Raider double bear heat singing shotgun.
Speaker 1: Runn out of help with Cal Wayne g I, Joe figure my name.
Speaker 3: My fingers were first and I couldn't pull the trigger.
Speaker 4: I was don't you know.
Speaker 1: We need more?
Speaker 3: Just before this.
Speaker 1: Run out of time mark? It is about to be not interesting.
Speaker 3: Almost there, I'm not gonna be get it is.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cory saying Susie, Tony saying Susie, are you too copying off each other?
Speaker 7: That's the first name that popped into my head.
Speaker 1: Chester saying Betsy, Seth sang Howitzer Cal sang Betsy, Mark sang Old, Bessie Logan sang Uper Smoke poll Horn saying bess. The correct answer, which nobody got, is Betty Lou. That song was released by The Bananas at Large in nineteen eighty nine. Here's how they described the deer and their gun. Take it away, Phil, where he was in looked hard wear, twelve thousand pounds. With every step there was a just shaken on the ground.
Speaker 4: I think I've only heard the remix of this. That's the issue right out of my dreams.
Speaker 3: He was created by God just for outdoor magazines.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not much, we're thinking.
Speaker 7: I don't do it often, but I had an idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was this.
Speaker 1: To put that dirty pointer right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, couldn't get to micronade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well right, Howard Sir was in the shop. My stomach was tied into a monkey.
Speaker 8: No, y'all.
Speaker 1: My only hope was Betty Lou.
Speaker 3: She was one a.
Speaker 2: Combination eight K fifty seven oozy radar laser, triple barrel, double skull shot.
Speaker 1: Betty lived Phil I had it, so you'd cut it off before the burb. We'll push it right.
Speaker 5: Through and then I can't do it, I would say that.
Speaker 4: Would Howards have counted to No.
Speaker 1: He couldn't get to the howitzer, he said, somebody for Betty Lou.
Speaker 6: Every opening day in Michigan, that song is playing on all the radios. So every morning at deer camp would be like four thirty in the morning, my uncle would turn on the radio, the wood burning stoves popping and crackling, and as soon as that would turn on the radio, I'd be laying on the couch, still sleeping, and Grandpa and Uncle would like crank it up, and that would get me out of bed before we go hunting. So, yeah, I still listen to it. Leading in the hunting season. I'm getting excited. I'm so mad at myself.
Speaker 1: You'll never forget it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of like like betraying an old friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: Question for the topic is gear the gear company that Yvonne Schnard founded is named after a region on this continent. Here's the question again. The gear company that Yvonne Schnard founded is named after a region on this continent. A very confident room, Tony, you got this one right, Seth, you got this one right. No cheating now, Tony, we just had a zero percenter. We may have a one hundred percenter here, Chest and Tony doing some more writing. You got second guessing.
Speaker 6: I was hoping you're gonna make a little harder, like name a peak in this region or something.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 9: It almost feels like it should be a trap here.
Speaker 1: I know it's got to listen to everybody ready, Tony, are you writing out all of your continents? No?
Speaker 7: I was just I'm good.
Speaker 4: It's got a global map of the global Go.
Speaker 1: Ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying South America. Tony sang south America. The entire room said south America. Everybody got it right. The correct answer was South America. Schnard founded Patagonia in nineteen seventy three. The company is named after a mountainous region of Argentina and Chile that's covered in vast forests and glaciers. For more in the history of Schnard and Patagonia, listen to episode one eighty eight of The med Eater podcast where Steven Giannis interview the brand's founder. Question five, the topic is fish. Merriam Webster defines this as quote a current of water running contrary to the main current. Again a confident room, here's the question. The topic is fishing. Merriam Webster defines this as a current of water running contrary to the main current. Seth hasn't picked up his board yet. The rest of the room is ready to show their answers, though, call you got this one.
Speaker 5: I I know what that It makes sense.
Speaker 1: You haven't picked up in a dictionary in a little while, so you can't.
Speaker 4: Have no idea. But being a river feller, I know what i'd call it.
Speaker 1: That's right, It is everybody ready. Corey, Yeah, Tony, I guess go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying confluence, Tony sang, what's that say? Tony? Channel back, channel, Chester saying Eddie, Seth saying channel cal sayg Eddie, Mark sang, Eddie, Logan saying confluence, Forward saying eddie. The correct answer is Eddie the room did pretty well? Is that?
Speaker 10: I why.
Speaker 1: Eddie's are often targeted by anglers because they provide concentrated areas where insects and bait fish get trapped. They usually form immediately downstream of an obstacle like a rock or stump. The word dates back to the fifteenth century and has synonyms like swirl, spin pearl, and whirlpool fail. We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: Pretty low scoring game, guys. We've got Logan with a single point and everybody else is tied up with two points.
Speaker 1: Still, Oh man, we can have we can have an eight way tiebreaker.
Speaker 5: Time to focus and that would be chance.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cow's getting serious all of a sudden, he just changes postures.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was just like, man, here we go here.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via Brandon Rosenboom. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. This invasive species, which is found in seventeen states, is a South American mammal that was introduced here in eighteen ninety nine. Again, the topic is conservation. This invasive species, which is found in seventeen states is a South American mammal that was introduced here in eighteen ninety nine. Cal do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 1: Okay, the room looks pretty split on their confidence. How about you, fort you got this one?
Speaker 9: Feeling good? Feeling good?
Speaker 4: Are you actually?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 9: I take it back.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: See, seventeen states is a lot of states, seventeen of them.
Speaker 9: That's the part that throws me.
Speaker 7: Actually, yeah, now that was like three I'd be super confident.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Logan told me that he listens to every episode of Meat Eatter Trivia. Thank you, Logan. How does it feel to be in the room versus having an on your radio?
Speaker 3: Terrible?
Speaker 1: Is there a lot of pressure?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a bad and everyone else is tied for first?
Speaker 1: It's not too late, A lot of game left. Here's the question again. This invasive species, which is found in seventeen states, is a South American mammal that was introduced here in eighteen ninety nine.
Speaker 9: The date gives me pause too.
Speaker 4: I think, I mean, I'm assuming this.
Speaker 1: Extra information is meant to help you you not confuse you. We'll see how the room does. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: You can add you idiots in there. Come on, lowest scoring game ever, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I got faith ready, I got faith? It's everybody ready, Logan still writing, Marcus still writing. Col's getting impatient and you are both in reaching distance of him.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's efficiently be wrong here.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: You know there's there's a saying in golf, if you're going to pay, if you're going to play bad, you can't play slow. I should apply to trivia as well. That means I'm a very fast golfer.
Speaker 7: No, man, I feel like an idiot.
Speaker 1: We all do join the club. Is everybody ready? At Chester? He's panicked.
Speaker 8: This is not right.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey sang Neutria, Tony saying Neutria Chester without an answer. I would have wrote that, but I saw Seth sport. It sounds like self regulation, Seth and Cal saying Newtria, Mark saying Burrow, Logan saying Barbary, sheep Ford saying Newtria. The correct answer is Neutria. The room did pretty well, so, which states the nation's highest population of neutria live along the Gulf coast, but they're also found up and down to the East and West coast. They're blamed for a significant impacts and loss of wetlands and the Mississippi Delta and Chesapeake Bay. Neutria are also hard on agriculture by destroying dikes and levees that are used for irrigation. Ford If you look at the distribution map, it's basically anything that touches the ocean seems like they have nutria.
Speaker 9: Well here's what gave me pause. In my home state of Maryland, We've eliminated nutrio.
Speaker 5: All of them.
Speaker 4: That was a major announcement. Bold I would say, well, if you've ever ever been to the marshas of Maryland and you feel like you can confidently look at that and be like, you know what's not here?
Speaker 9: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 9: So, my first job was working at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, which is sort of the core of the Chesapeake Marshlands complex. And I remember walking by the aphist guys every day who were in theory going to trap all the nutrient and thinking like, did you ever see one new trial? Yeah, yeah, for sure back then. But the concept of ridding Maryland's marshes of every swamp rat seemed rather ludicrous at that point, but damned if they didn't do it. Apparently you should check out.
Speaker 4: The cow in the Field episode down Louisiana. We bust a nutrient and eat it and talk about the fact that because they erode swamp grasses, they're chewing on the on the basis of the swamp grass. An acre of title grass holds over a million gallons of water. So it's a big, big way to protect your coastal Marcia's or coastal coastlines from erosion. That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Question seven, The topic is fishing. The Outdoor Channel helped launch this catch and release fishing league in twenty eleven. Again, the topic is fishing. This is question seven. The Outdoor Channel helped launch this catch and release fishing league in twenty eleven. Seth, Do you have this one right? I think so okay?
Speaker 4: Is a league like a tournament.
Speaker 1: Not giving any hints, I'll tell you the question again. The Outdoor Channel helped launch this catch and release fishing league in twenty eleven. All the information you will need, Tony, do you have this one right?
Speaker 7: You were quick, saying answer, I'm not sure. I have no confidence in any of my answers for this, but maybe I have it right.
Speaker 1: Do you normally have some confidence though.
Speaker 7: When I'm not playing mediator trivia, like just generally in life and sometime the.
Speaker 1: Other shows you've been on, or do you feel confident then?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 7: I panic and I'm worried because I'm not a very good closer, and I feel that crushing weight coming in and a'll I keep thinking, is I just got to beat Mark?
Speaker 3: That's good. He did set the stage for that pressure.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited to get a scoreboard update and a few questions from now, because I think it's going to be tight.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm going to change my answer real quick.
Speaker 1: Here's a question again. The Outdoor Channel helped launch this catch and release Fishing league in twenty eleven. Is everybody ready, yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey without an answer, Tony saying major league fishing, Chester saying major league fishing, Seth saying major league fishing, Cow saying catfish noodlers, Mark saying major league bass fishing, Logan saying m LF Forward saying major league Fishing. The correct answer is Major League Fishing. Mark, We're not going to give it to you. That's too many words, Logan, we will give it to you for the MLF, though.
Speaker 5: Disagree.
Speaker 1: That's not the name of the league. I'm sorry, Mark.
Speaker 4: You're not going to have the exciting multi person tie.
Speaker 1: You never know. Answer is fishing was created by the Professional Bass Tour Anglers Association and Outdoor Channel. It differed from other fishing competitions by placing a referee on each boat to weigh every fish and guarantee a quick catch and release. The rests then used iPads to update the leader board, which allowed anglers to track the real time standings. Seth. Do you like watching Major League Fishing? How does that rate compared to the other fishing positions.
Speaker 3: I'm TV.
Speaker 5: I'm more of an elite series guy H personally, but I do. Yeah, I do keep track.
Speaker 4: I think I could be wrong, but I think First Light sponsors a MLF.
Speaker 9: Guy really, Andy Morgan, we do, indeed, Andy Morgan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got to be kind of exciting for you guys, because that iPad means one more screen on the boat.
Speaker 5: Now, the screens help you learn things about fish.
Speaker 1: Cal that was me and cal. Question eight, the topic is cooking. What do you got chester?
Speaker 8: If it's hooked up to internet, you I could then google like how to catch a bass while I'm out there?
Speaker 9: Just chat GBT there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, question eight. We will get a scoreboard update from Filled the engineer after this. The topic is cooking. This restaurant chain came under fire in twenty twenty one after DNA samples revealed that their tuna contained traces of chicken, pork, and beef. Tony was writing an answer when I was only about a quarter the way through it. You know this one.
Speaker 7: I feel confident with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the question again. This restaurant chain came under fire in twenty twenty one after DNA samples revealed that they're tuna contained traces of chicken, pork, and beef. Our coworkers roasted beef for continuing to eat at this place. After that's a hint for some folks for are you gonna get this one right? You didn't need the hint.
Speaker 9: I've got nothing, but I'm gonna think about the hint.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, love.
Speaker 5: What cow that happens off in our office?
Speaker 4: So it doesn't really narrow it down.
Speaker 1: Corey, do you have an answer yet?
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it's a fast food restaurant. I feel like you would have put that in there. Here's the question again. This restaurant chain came under fire in twenty twenty one after DNA samples revealed that there Tuna contained traces of chicken, pork and.
Speaker 3: Beef chicken of the sea.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need you to come up with an answer.
Speaker 4: You can't trust anything out of Corey right now with a lot of disinformation misinformation.
Speaker 1: Ford, how you feeling about your answer?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: Pretty terrible?
Speaker 1: Did did Logan help you at all?
Speaker 10: Not?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's everybody ready, Corey, you bet go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying subway, Tony saying subway, Chester saying Arby's, Seth saying subway, count saying subway, Marcus saying PF Chains, Logan saying subway, and Ford saying red lobster. The correct answer is subway.
Speaker 4: You know, the people at Subway were like, thank god we have a tuna scandal and not the other scandal that we were associating. Yeah, tuna super suspect.
Speaker 3: Now that you say weird guys.
Speaker 4: We're the weird weird tuna guys.
Speaker 1: Maybe that story was planted, they come to think of it.
Speaker 4: I mean anything, m M yeah, yeah, my god.
Speaker 1: Nilima Aman sued Subway after a marine biologist analyzed nineteen samples of tuna from nineteen different restaurants and found quote no detectable tuna DNA sequences whatsoever. They did, however, find other types of fish, as well as chicken, pork, and beef. A Mean filed emotion to dismiss the lawsuit in May of this year, saying she needed to pause the legal action because of morning sickness from her pregnancy.
Speaker 2: I don't want to defend Subway here, but doesn't cooking fish do something dude's DNA makeup?
Speaker 1: I do not?
Speaker 7: Probably not?
Speaker 1: It probably does, now, Logan, when when you gave the hint to Ford Ford you said red lobster? Is it common for first light folks to eat red lobster and then get made fun of?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not?
Speaker 9: No, yeah, and actually it should have been a hint because there are very few chains in the Whatver valet, and Subway is one of them.
Speaker 3: Used to be.
Speaker 1: So we have two questions left, Where does the leader board stand.
Speaker 10: The only player who is no longer in the running is Mark Kenyan.
Speaker 3: Yea worse form.
Speaker 10: Chester Logan have three points, Ford and col and Corey have four, and Tony and Seth are tied up with five points, so.
Speaker 4: We still got a race.
Speaker 1: Question eight, excuse me? Question nine. The topic is biology. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Ken Denham for sending this great question. Ken is going to get a book signed by Steve. The Platte River Valley, which is located in this state, is where migratory sandhill cranes gained twenty percent of their body weight each spring. And the topic is biology. Here's the question. The plat River Valley, which is located in this state, is where migratory sand hill cranes gained twenty percent of their body weight each spring. A confident logan, logan, do you have this one right? I do?
Speaker 2: From actually previous podcasts, I think it was discussed.
Speaker 1: Logan given hints out.
Speaker 4: I watched a little Happy Gilmour the other day that that was a good good point in time for subway.
Speaker 5: You know, may have been where they peaked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a I think it's famously a terrible movie glitch that they had, not a glitch, but inconsistency. We're happy. When he's golfing, he has a flannel on and underneath it you can see as a Subway shirt on, and then other scenes it's just a plain white tea. So pay attention to that next time Subway messed up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I knew there was something wrong about that movie. You know, all the rest of it. I totally believed.
Speaker 1: Here's the question again. The Plant River Valley, which is located in this state, is where migratory sand hills gained twenty percent of their body weight each spring. Corey, are you ready?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I got a map going here. Okay, I figure out where the laughing at whatever is on your wifeboard the United States. I'm gonna need you to come up with an answer. I think we're only waiting on you. Oh really, how are we doing, Corey?
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: You have an answer, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying Kansas, Tony saying Nebraska, Chester saying Colorado, Seth saying Nebraska, Cal saying Colorado, Mark sang Nebraska, Logan sang Nebraska, and Ford saying Nebraska. They got it. The correct answer is Nebraska. The Nebraska's Platte River Valley is the most important spot, is the most important stop for sandhill cranes during their migration north. They start showing up in February and leave in April, putting on one pound of fat that time. The half a million sandhill cranes that stop in Nebraska each spring are there to eat corn, earthworms, snails, and insects. Phil, we have one question left. Who is winning?
Speaker 10: We've got Ford van Fassen with five points and tied up still six points apiece, Tony and Seth.
Speaker 1: And they're the only three left in the game.
Speaker 5: Only three left in the game.
Speaker 4: Can we tell the listeners that the platt is also in Colorado?
Speaker 1: It is awesome in Colorado, It's not the important stop for the sandhill cranes like the portion in Nebraska.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just would have worded the question a little different. But we all question ten these states have this river. The topic is one of them hunting puts a lot of fat on cranes. That's how I would have said it. Name that state.
Speaker 1: You're lucky for you, caw we have Yanni has volunteered to host an episode of trivia. He's writing his own questions in the script, and then I'm gonna have to play, and I'm not looking forward to that. I'm in a good position over here. I never have to prove my knowledge.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's gonna be like a vengeance episode?
Speaker 1: Is that how? I don't know. We'll see Question ten. The topic is hunting. Alaska's official dog breed, which closely resembles the husky, has a rich history of hunting bears and seals. Again, the topic is hunting. This is the final question of the game. Alaska's official dog breed, which closely resembles the husky, has a rich history of hunting bears and seals. We have three players left. We have Tony and is it Seth. Tony and Seth are tied, and Ford is right behind them. Quick answers from the room. Call you confident that you have this one right? Yeah, it's everybody ready, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying malamute, Tony sang malamute, Chester saying malumute, Seth saying chow Wow saying malumute, Mark saying malamute, Logan saying malamut or saying malamut, The correct answer is malamute, making Tony Peterson our winner the first time ever. Well done? Something you got? What do you got?
Speaker 7: H suck at Mark?
Speaker 6: Now going back to the original premise of this whole conversation, though, the reason why Tony won this one and that I did not is because he kept me up till one.
Speaker 3: I am talking about conspiracy theories?
Speaker 7: Who kept himself up last night?
Speaker 3: Fair enough?
Speaker 1: The Alaskan malamute became the official dog breed of Alaska in twenty ten when a group of school kids championed the effort for a class project. Malumute have long played a utilitarian role on the Last Frontier as working, hunting and family dogs. They have a history of pulling sleds, hunting seals, and protecting camps. Tony, you win with what was it? Seven correct answers? Well done? And what happens next is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater goes. You've never been in this position before. What's it going to be?
Speaker 7: You know a lot of people probably expect me to pick a dear organization, but I am going to go with Pheasants Forever because I am a rooster junkie.
Speaker 1: Okay, good on you, Tony. You have some big peasant hunts coming up this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, every time I'm not in a trees then uh huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you tune into this show Pheasant Fact Friday on the Pheasants Forever Instagram page is wonderful knowledge. That's really cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of good habitat work there, Tony.
Speaker 1: You will always have this on Mark. Now we'll update the stats again if Mark needs so. Yeah, it's showing.
Speaker 7: We should definitely update those stats and then announce them often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was This was a rough game.
Speaker 1: Ye, cross and Tony may just retire now he never asked to show up again to win or prove anything. It's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, join, we'll plug, we'll play.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins