Speaker 1: I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show. Phone lines are now open at one eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's triple eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you want to chat. If you have a question about technology, you want to figure out how to do something, how something works, you're deciding between a couple of things, whatever it is, give me a call. I'll lend my ears and technoledge to you. Email is also an option. You can send your email to hello at rich on tech dot tv, and if you want to follow along online. I take very good notes about everything I mentioned here and I put it all on the website rich on tech dot TV. This is a show number, let me get it here, twenty one, so look for the show notes for show twenty one.
Speaker 2: It is Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 1: I want to say thank you to the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: And special guest in the studio today, my son Parker.
Speaker 2: Can we hear Parker? Is he there? Park Hey?
Speaker 3: Hey there you are everybody.
Speaker 2: How are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. How about you.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic. Well, you tell me. You know how I'm doing. You live with me, So am I.
Speaker 2: Always doing good?
Speaker 4: It's a nice weekend. Yeah, I have to say it's really nice. I think the sun's starting to pop out. It's been a cold week.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you're here to talk about Final Cut pro on the iPad?
Speaker 3: Yes, I actually am.
Speaker 2: You've been playing with that? Huh, yeah I have.
Speaker 4: I've been playing with it for a couple of days because I always wanted to. You know, I'm into editing for my dad and h Parker.
Speaker 1: You'll take the stuff that I shoot and then you'll edit and we do like a little edit competition where you'll see, you know, if you can edit better than I can. But we've been very impressed with this, so we will talk about that in a little bit. Parker's going to be hanging out for the whole show, so I may bring them on from now and then. So my goal if you listen to this show is to make it the most useful thing that you listen to.
Speaker 2: That is always my goal.
Speaker 1: So when I talk about stuff, when I choose the topics, when I discuss things, it is all for you. And so yeah, I'm not going to get to everything that happens in the tech world.
Speaker 2: In fact, I say it in the beginning of.
Speaker 1: The show, I say, this is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's the stuff that I believe is important for your life because we are modern tech animals. We are people that are using technology, sometimes against our will. We all have a phone, we all have a computer, a tablet, or you know, a combination of some of those things, and sometimes we just have to use them to survive in this world. And so I figured today would be a good day to share some of the apps that I use on my phones that I love. And I say phones because I typically carry an iPhone with me and then I'm typically testing an Android. And it used to be the other way around. I used to carry an Android and then test on the iPhone. But I've sort of flipped, and I flip flop every once in a while. But when I wrote a book about the iPhone that really kind of solidified. I started using it every day and just kind of started, you know, getting used to it. So let me go ahead and give you some of the apps that I really like. So number one, you have to write all these down. I'm gonna put them down on the notes on the website. So Number one, email me. This is probably what I use the most on a daily basis. This is a very handy little app that lives on my iPhone home screen and it allows me to email myself anything I need. Now, I've tried all the to do lists and all that stuff and the notes, and I do use those apps. But to me, email me is so easy because my email inbox is sort of my ongoing to do list, and so I can just email myself a note, an article, someone's phone number, whatever, and then it's in my inbox and then when I sit down to my computer, I can deal with it. Now on Android, there is not the same app, but the most similar app I've found is called Boomerang, and that one works in kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the same way. So those are my two handiest apps.
Speaker 1: After that, I have an app called Pocket, and this is an app that allows me to read something later. So I surf the web all day and I find an article that I like, and I will save it in Pocket to read it later. Ninety nine point nine percent of the time, as soon as an article goes into pocket. It is guaranteed I will never read it ever again in my lifetime. I don't know why that happens, it's just the way it is. So I need to get better about actually reading the articles. Most of the time, when I'm on the plane and I'm bored, I will say, oh, let me, let me try this, and I'll read something in my pocket. Google Photos is my preferred photo app. I love Google Photos because I've been taking photos everywhere I've gone for ten fifteen years. Now they're all in Google Photos. I wish I had more from the early days. I've digitized a bunch. But what I love about Google Photos is the ability to find any photo I've ever taken anywhere with just a keyworder two. It is incredible and my collection continues to grow in there. Microsoft to Do, I've tried all the to do lists. Microsoft to Do is my absolute favorite. The reason it just works. It works cross platform. It works on all my computers and devices, and you can add files to your to do list, which is really handy. If it's like a document or something that you need to like email someone or whatever, you can just throw it into the to do list, into the actual item and it works. One of the newer apps that I've been testing that I really like is called my Mind. And what's cool about this is it's sort of like a bookmarking app, but it's a place to remember all of your notes, images, quotes, highlights, whatever. And it's a really neat app because what it does is it automatically tags the things that you put in there, So if you put an article in there or a quote, it will actually look at that item and come up with a whole bunch of tag so that later on you can say, oh, I remember that book I wanted to read, and it will. You can just search book and it will find all the books that you've bookmarked, or all the movies, or if you want to say it was a movie about baseball, it will find anything about baseball, So that's really handy. When it comes to hiking. All Trails is one of my favorites. This is really cool because it finds trails everywhere around the world and it gives you information about them. Artifact is a new one that I really like. This is from the creators of Instagram, or at least one of them, and it's just a new spin on a news app, and it's got some really really handy features and it learns as you read articles on it what you like and tries to present more of those. Now I think it's a little heavy handed in that because I feel like I see a lot of the same stuff over and over. But again, it's learning and it's evolving.
Speaker 2: When it comes to.
Speaker 1: Travel, a ward wallet is my absolute favorite app for keeping track of everything that I'm doing. All of my reservations, it organizes them and it puts it into this really neat timeline called my Trips, and it's just fantastic. Anything I've done, any hotel I'm staying at, any tickets I have for anything, it's all in this main list.
Speaker 2: I can find it so easily.
Speaker 1: Backdrops This is one of my favorites because it helps me find wallpapers for all of my devices and they're just really cool slick.
Speaker 2: I think there's a paid version of this app.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever paid for it, but it's really handy and it's just great, great backgrounds for all of my devices, and it's called back Drops and it works on iOS and Android. When it comes to editing, Splice is my absolute favorite editing app. It works on iPhone, it works on Android. So far, I've paid for it on iPhone, but somehow I can't figure out how to get my paid subscription on Androids, So that's definitely a downside. But I really like that app for editing. I don't think it gets much better on your phone than Splice. What three Words This is a really interesting app. I love what they've done. They have sliced up the entire world into these ten by ten squares. So if you want to give someone your exact location. Let's say you want them to meet you at the back door entrance to a restaurant or something that's just an example, or a specific entrance to a park, you can narrow it down and give them directions to that exact area. Unlike Google Maps that'll just kind of bring you to the park, this will give you that ten by ten square that is precise. So if you want someone to meet you in a precise place, What three Words is such a great app for that. When it comes to journaling, I really like Day one. It's a fantastic app for keeping notes. Fig is a really good app. Fig If you have someone with an allergy in your family, this lets you scan a barcode and it will tell you if that allergen is in that barcode. It's a really really handy app. Flighty is, of course an app we've talked about on this show, which is an app that will help you track all of your flights. Flip is an app flipp This categorizes all of the flyers that these companies put out, like Target and Best Buy. And if you want to search for an item on sale. Let's say you love your face toothpaste, but you want to find it on sale somewhere, search it and flip and you can see exactly where it's on sale. Gemini is my favorite app for finding duplicate photos on my camera roll.
Speaker 2: This one is iOS only.
Speaker 1: It also may be paid for like eventually, but it's a really handy app for finding duplicates. I Exit is also one of my favorites for road trips. For when you're looking for a specific fast food up ahead. You can see everything by exit up ahead. Plus they have gas prices and all that stuff. But I Exit is really good. All right, I think that's gonna do it for these apps right now. I'll put some more on my list at richontech Dot TV because I'm gonna tell you what's coming up on the show here. But Media or met e O R is my favorite speed test app. So those are just a couple of apps that I use. If you have an app that you like, tweet me on Twitter at rich on Tech and I will include some of those as well.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up on.
Speaker 1: Today's show, I'm gonna explain why Netflix wants you to pay up if you're sharing your password.
Speaker 2: We've got some great guests this week.
Speaker 1: Daniel Rubino is going to join me to talk about Microsoft's latest AI announcements.
Speaker 2: Jim Steier is.
Speaker 1: Going to talk about the Surgeon General's warning about social media and teens, and later we'll talk about Ford and Tesla with the editor at clean Fleet Report. All right, first up, it's your turn. Your calls coming up at triple eight rich one oh one. I'm rich Demiro, and you are listening to rich on Tech again, phone number triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I know I gave you a lot of apps before, and there's a lot of good ones in there. I'm doing my best to put all the notes on the website. Rich On tech dot TV. Look for the show notes for the radio show for show number twenty one, and you should find most of the links. I'm almost done. Let's go to uh Elam Elam in La Ellam. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hi Rich, this is Elam.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I have a quick question. My stepmother is selling her house and selling the content of the house, and with it, she sold her computer. She just called me and said, oh, someone's trying to change the phone number on my hers her Apple account. So I'm like, oh, shoot, so I'm going to go over there in about two hours to go deny that request because obviously someone's trying to maybe change her user name.
Speaker 8: Access her account.
Speaker 7: It's that I don't even know. She's logged out of her Okay on their computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So okay, So this is a good lesson for any time you sell something, obviously you want to sign out on that device. On Android, iPhone, Windows, Mac, it makes it very easy. You can go into the settings and basically do a factory reset and get everything back to the standard operating you know, the factory conditions now on the iPhone, on your on your does your mom have an iPhone? No she doesn't, So what does she use for her phone?
Speaker 7: I think it was the other one Android, Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think what you're going to have to do is go into the settings on iCloud dot com.
Speaker 2: Does she have any other Apple device?
Speaker 8: I know she has a tab that she uses.
Speaker 7: I don't know what.
Speaker 9: I don't know that she has an Apple account.
Speaker 7: I don't know what it is that's telling her that. So I'm gonna go there later and look at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I would go into her Apple her iPhone and go into the iCloud settings and then and then you can basically go into the device's tab on the Apple ID and then see the device that you want to sign out of and say sign up out, And that way that computer would no longer be on the you know, it won't be on the account anymore.
Speaker 7: So concerned about their bank account, I'm hoping that account was not left open on the No.
Speaker 1: Those those usually time out after a minute or two or a couple of minutes, So you're gonna be fine there. So I think that, I mean, this could be a targeted thing where someone is literally trying to access your mom's stuff, or it could just be an innocent thing where they're just trying to reset up this computer and they came across this thing and they typed in the password and they were just trying to figure it out. I don't know why you do that if it was innocent. But but again, go to you know, go to the Apple you know, iCloud website, sign in, look for the devices tab, and then find the device that your mom was on and click sign out on there. So I would do this right now live. But the problem is it's like a whole two factor authentication thing to sign into my computer, so it's not going to let me do it easily. But that's what i'd recommend and in the future, or no matter what, before you sell something, this is just a really good reminder that you have to just sign out of everything on there. So no matter what sign out of Google, you know, but on the big picture, you want to sign out on the whole computer.
Speaker 2: So there's ways of you know, what I would do is look at the item.
Speaker 1: So whether it's a chromebook, whether it's a Mac computer, whether it's a tablet, just look at factory reset and then that just Google that and it should give you the step by step instructions on how to do that everything's a little bit different. But I do this all the time because I'm always testing gadgets and then sending them back to the company, and I always have to do a factory reset. But there's other ways of especially with Google and Apple, of signing out of the devices, even if you're basically revoking access to that device from the web, saying like I don't have this anymore, but don't let this thing log in anymore.
Speaker 7: Right, okay, all right, sounds good. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, elim, thank you for calling today, and hopefully it gets all sorted out. And if not, just you know, give me an email and and we'll figure out another solution here.
Speaker 9: Sounds good. You have a great day, all right.
Speaker 2: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, you know one of these things where it's a good idea in general, and I always do this.
Speaker 2: There's also something.
Speaker 1: Called third party access to your account. So if you look at if you Google like third party access, Google you can manage the third party apps and services that have access to your account. And what that means is that sometimes when you sign in, it's easier to sign in with your Google account or your Facebook account, or your Twitter or your Apple account. And sometimes you want to revoke access. So if you look at what's called these sometimes are referred to as permissions or third party account access, it's a good idea to go through your accounts and see what's on there. And I did this with Google the other day, where I kind of went through and saw the old phones and things that were on my account, and I just said, revoke access to those things, because you don't want a lot of stuff having access to your accounts. All right, Coming up, we're going to talk to Daniel Robino. This week was a Microsoft bill. This is their Developer's conference. They had a whole bunch of new announcements when it comes to AI, which of course everyone is talking about nowadays, when it comes to BING, when it comes to this thing called co pilot for businesses. So we're going to talk to Daniel Robino. He is the editor in chief of Windows Central. He's going to talk about all of that stuff. Later on, we're going to talk to Jim Steyer. He's the founder and CEO of Common Sense Media. He's going to join me to discuss the Surgeon General's warning about the impact on social media and teens, which I know is a Big One and then later John Faulkner. He is the road test editor at clean Fleet Report. He's going to join me to talk about the vin Fast EV and we'll get his take on the Ford Tesla deal.
Speaker 2: Also, your call is.
Speaker 1: Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. I'm Rich Demiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Joining me now is Daniel Rubino.
Speaker 2: He is the.
Speaker 1: Editor in chief of Windows Central. All right, so let's talk about Built. What is Microsoft Built? What is that so much shop?
Speaker 10: Build is their annual developer conference, and it's been going out for many years.
Speaker 5: It's sort of changed focus.
Speaker 10: For many years, there was a lot of consumer stuff there as well, so it was almost like an Apple show, and then in the last couple of years it pretty much went all developer, and they did even they stop in biding press to even attend because it was such like more high level programming. But this year it's actually returned and they brought Windows eleven back to the show, and there was a lot more i would say consumer focused announcements for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 2: So let's kind of go through some of those.
Speaker 1: So obviously Microsoft was first out of the gate with this whole bang integration with chat GPT right, and I used it. I was one of the people who got the early access. I downloaded Edge, I was using it, and I really liked it. Now, of course I have some other options. But what's the What were the announcements with the chat GPT on on the BING front.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 10: Actually really really good news at least for Microsoft and open Ai. So their relationship has just basically got closer. What I mean is chat GPT was trained on Microsoft some of Microsoft's supercomputers, but it had a limited access basically the access cut off I believe it was late twenty twenty one meeting. It didn't have information beyond that date, and so you could ask it to do things, but he'd be asked about, say last night's baseball game, it could not get that information.
Speaker 5: I had no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 10: BING, on the other hand, took that and merged it with a search engine, so you could ask being chat something it happened five minutes ago and be able to find the information. What's happening now is open ai is basically getting that feature from being a plug in, so it's going to have now access to the Internet, meaning they're gonna be very similar in how they operate.
Speaker 5: I'd also say the other thing was plugins now.
Speaker 10: Open Ai announced plugins for chat Shipt about six weeks ago, and then Microsoft announced plug in support for being chat a few weeks ago as well.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 10: Turned out those plugins are interoperable, which is gonna be really good for developers, because we were concerned that people are gonna have developers We're gonna have to choose, all right, I got to make a plug in. Do I choose open Ai and chat Gipt, which technically probably has more users right now?
Speaker 5: Or do I do Bing?
Speaker 2: You know chat You're saying chat Gpt has more users than Bing.
Speaker 10: It might, I mean, because of the because of the headlines that chat Schipt has. But we don't really know the user numbers for all of them, right But I think being chat Schipt had a million users like within a couple.
Speaker 2: Of weeks, super much. I mean they really.
Speaker 10: And then Microsoft yeah, and Mitchoff hit a million two recently, so they're probably pretty close. But what's cool is these plugins developers write once they go anywhere to both systems. That's good news because it means, you know, people aren't going to forget about Microsoft's chatbot.
Speaker 1: Basically, Okay, so we've got the chatbot, we've got the plugins.
Speaker 2: What about this copilot?
Speaker 1: This got a lot of attention in the press, this whole idea of Copilot, and it's can you explain what copilot is because we're going to hear this a lot.
Speaker 10: It sounds like, yeah, so Copilot is basically a digital assistance. It's being put into their Microsoft Office software like Word and power Point, but it's also now been announced it's coming to Windows. We shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It may be a surprise how early it's kind of coming that it really shows that Microsoft had a lot of this stuff planned out. It's similar to the way Quartana, Microsoft's previous digital assistant was sort of integrated into the operating system. So it's going to slide out from the right hand side. You'll have a chat panel there. You can basically access being chat right from that, but it could do much more. So what makes this Copilot is it's going to have features to say, control Windows, you can actually ask it to do things, that can analyze documents. It's going to be a lot more integrated into the operating system. And it's my belief that this is just the first step. You know, we're hearing rumors that Windows twelve was coming in late twenty twenty four, and all the evidence we have so far from our reporting comes back about and is that that operating system is going to really take AI to the next level in terms of integrating into the operating system to make it even more helpful and proactive for users.
Speaker 1: And what's really neat about that is the fact that these you know, Windows, there's a lot of features built in and I would say people probably use you know, five ten percent of them at the most.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: So if you can ask for something you want to do, Hey, show me all the documents that are larger than one hundred megabytes that haven't looked at in a year, you know, yep, easily clean out your hard drive like little things like that. That just it's just like this whole idea of natural language is finally coming to fruition in a big way, and I think that's a good thing for the for the average user too.
Speaker 10: Yeah, digital systems up until now have been pretty disappointing. They were cool at first, but they just did not evolve as quickly as we were all hoping to. So they had to memorize a lot of commands, which is a fantathetical to like user adoptions, right, because who's going to go memorize certain commands to do certain tasks? You have to have for knowledge that even exists, and that's gonna be a difficult thing. That's you know, thankfully, it's gonna be overcome now.
Speaker 1: And I think it's also like not just the commands, but it was only programmed to do certain things. And so this I feel like this whole new generation of like this you know, all this AI is that you like don't really know what it can do, but it doesn't matter because you just ask and see what it does and what it's capable of, and then you kind of like adapt from there.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And there's only a whole subgenre of people that are that's coming out of people who are basically masters at commands for these chat systems, because you can really you're right, I mean, people like started companies using these chat things basically asking hey, create me a company, design a website for me, blah blah blah, and they put in all the specifications that they want, and this thing goes and does it, and it's been pretty crazy, and most of us are just like asking to do like summarize this document, rewrite this sentence.
Speaker 5: There are people take it to the next level.
Speaker 10: Those people are going to be on the cutting edge of this technology in terms of I would say knowledge workers that are going to be hired and demand, because that type of specialty is really interesting that most of us currently just don't have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they call it like prompting, right, like how do you prompt these things?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 1: So that's wild. I mean it's I did it. There's this chatbot that I'm using for like travel, and it's like just so wild that you can give it such specifics and instead of saying, like, hey, what are the best things to do in Charleston? You know, like you can look up that on the web all day, but it's like, Hey, I have a nine year old a twelve year old, we like vegan food and we like outdoor activities. Tell me what to do in Charleston for the weekend. And it's like that level of search has just never been available before in an easy way exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's going to be really fascinating. To see how this is, and it's I think people need.
Speaker 10: To understand that this technology is going to expand exponentially. It's not going to be like where we had SIRIE a couple of years ago and it got a little better here and there.
Speaker 5: This is going to rapidly evolve and there will.
Speaker 10: Be some scary moments right to be like, oh my god, I can't believe this is happening. But it's going to evolve very very quickly because the more people use it, the more data collects, the more the machine learning systems and large language models take effect, the more accurate these systems become.
Speaker 1: So you're covering this stuff very closely. Anything else that Microsoft announced that you think is really important to talk about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean just in general.
Speaker 10: Windows eleven is a big focus for them again, right, so this is post pandemic new workforce out there. Computers again are super important conferencing video calls, so AI is going to be important for that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 10: They're building it already into the operating and where it can automack you blur your background, auto adjust, you cancel out noise. NPUs Neural processing units are gonna be really important. That's gonna be the next step Intel's or we got those coming out, you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Be built into these laptops.
Speaker 10: So a neural processing unit is a coprocessor whose specific task is just to handle AI. Currently, what happens is your CPU or GPU is doing that task. It's fine, but it's brute force. These systems really weren't meant for that, and it's going to drain your battery and all that, which on the laptop is very important. And NPU though, is specifically focused to do the kind of algorithmic processing without hitting your CPU and GPU and saving battery life.
Speaker 5: And processing cycles.
Speaker 10: So you guys start to see that integrated into laptops and desktop PCs, and it's going to allow things like human presence detection. The monitor I'm using right now is made by Delves, their new six K. It has a really nice four K HDR camera and it has sensors so that it's a text If I'm in front of it, it's almost like a sonar system. If I walk away from it, the monitor can then turn off, and when I walk back in front of it, it turns on.
Speaker 5: I don't have to touch anything. That kind of technology is going to.
Speaker 10: Be coming to all our computers within the next couple months, in the next year or so, and it's going to be basically making all our computers even smarter in ways we hadn't really thought about before.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is incredible. All right, Daniel, we're going to leave it there, Editor in chief of Windows Central. How can folks get in touch with you online?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 10: I'm on Twitter, Daniel, Underscore, Rabino, r Ubi, and oh I'm also on Macedon and blue Sky, so you can follow me if you go to my Twitter profile. They're listed there, so you can jump on those and choose your preference. Otherwise, we do our own podcast on Friday's at one thirty pm Eastern Time, where we recap all the news for gaming, Microsoft, Windows and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Perfect tune in, all right, Daniel, thanks so much for joining me today. Coming up, we're going to talk more about let's see, let's do Amazon. They've got a tablet that's actually their best yet and it's one you might want to take a look at. Plus your calls at triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two for one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. You're listening to Rich on tech rich on tech rich Demiro hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Heidi writes in Hey, Rich, I have some great pieces of clothing, several with tags never warn that I'm considering selling online. I've researched to different websites, watched YouTube videos and tutorials, but I'm still not sure what the best platform is for me. I would like to be able to make some fun money and have the time to do it. Any suggestions, I appreciate you. Thanks for your help, Heidi. Well, Heidi, I think that there's a couple of ways you can do this. Obviously, eBay is the kind of the old school method at this point, but there's so many other ways of selling things online, especially clothes. I mean, just the offer up is the one that comes. I think we did a story a couple of years ago and offer up was really the one that kind of was picked as the best. But for clothes specifically, there's just so many and I don't really have a lot of experience selling clothes online, but I mean Facebook, Marketplace is obviously another one. Thread Up is one Mrcari. That's another one that people like, and then isn't Poshmark. I'm not really sure what that one's all about, but I know Poshmark a lot of people like.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. I mean, I think no.
Speaker 1: Matter which one of these you choose, it really comes down to, don't get scammed because there are just so many people ready to prey on you when it comes to these online marketplaces. And that's really what I think the most important lesson is no matter which one of these you use, because I think what you do is what I would do, is just put the same item on a couple of them and see what my experience is, see which one feels the best, is the simplest, is the easiest, and then I'd go with that one. But I think that a lot of these things, you know, you put something on there and immediately you get spammed with a lot of people trying to buy stuff, and a lot of them are just kind of like, not really someone you want to deal with. So that's what I would do. But I think that's the main lesson I sold. The last time I sold something, it was on offer up and it was a great experience. I mean, you know, you chat back and forth with the person. You know, it was cash deal. So they came to my house, they picked up the chair that I sold, and it was it was very easy. I think I sold like a chair that I bought for a couple hundred bucks for like twenty bucks. But it was interesting because the person wanted to complete their their chair. They had another one, the same exact one I had. They wanted to complete that and it wasn't being sold at the retailer anymore. So they, you know, it was a great deal for them and for me. It just got this big giant chair out of my garage, so it was perfect. That's what I would do is just be very aware of these transactions because but you know, people have a great time selling this stuff online and really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the Amazon tablet that launched this week. It's called the fire Max eleven. This is Amazon's biggest and most powerful tablet yet, and this might give the iPad a run for its money if you're looking for a budget tablet. I still think that the iPad is the best tablet out there, but this is the fire Max eleven. Amazon says it's fifty percent more powerful than its next best tablet, which tells you something that means it's pretty good. It's got an eleven inch screen. The price is two hundred and twenty nine dollars, which is a great price. I know it's more expensive than most of their tablets, but this is a premium tablet. It's got a good display, it's got a fingerprint sensor for the first time. It's got super fast Wi Fi six connectivity, fourteen hours of battery life. It even has an available stylust and a keyboard, which they've had them in the past, not the stylist, but they've had the keyboard in the past for the Amazon tablets, and it's you know, it's been kind of like eh, but you know, this even has a three month trial of Microsoft three sixty five for access to all those apps. So they're really positioning this as something that, you know, could be productive. I think that this would be a good tablet if you don't want an iPad and you don't want one of the really cheap fire tablets, you want something that's a little bit more premium. I have not tested this yet. I have not gotten a test review of this thing, so it comes out in June again. It's called the fire Max eleven. My advice with any Amazon device is to wait for it to go on sale because Amazon always puts their stuff on sale, especially around Prime Day or throughout the year. So just put this in your shopping cart and just keep an eye. Use something like honey to keep an eye on the price because it will drop again. Firemax eleven two hundred and thirty dollars coming out in June. If you want to get the bundle with the case and the keyboard and the stylus is three hundred and thirty dollars, so not too bad.
Speaker 2: All right. That's the Amazon Fire Max eleven coming soon.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up to the show, we still got a lot to talk about, including your calls at Triple eight rich one on one.
Speaker 2: That's eight eight eight seven.
Speaker 1: Four to two, four to one zero one. We'll alts talk about the newest streamer in town called Max. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Neon. Neon is in Norwalk, California.
Speaker 2: Neon. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Hi had to is it Parker your son? You had to him?
Speaker 2: Parker's right here, Say hello Parker.
Speaker 3: Hello, Parker is fine?
Speaker 11: Thank you? Oh my god, that's so great. So anyway, let's go. I know you have to much time, So I want to buy Amazon echoes so I can talk to it and you know, and and ask him to give me information. Uh, would you answer all the all the information that I that I asked for it as for.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm, well, like you mean like smart question like just questions.
Speaker 11: Let's let's say who was Napoleon? Let's say whatever, who was this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it'll get the basics right on that kind of stuff. I think that if you want the best answers, I really think that and Parker can answer this. You what do you think would be better for answers like A I like, well AI?
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, yeah, the probably I would say, like, if you're using.
Speaker 3: AI, probably barred, right, But he wants to do voice assistant, oh, voice distant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then I would probably say Google, uh, the Google Home because like, yeah, I mean it's really it's like it's It's really good.
Speaker 3: It's like top notch.
Speaker 4: Uh. Next one would be Alexa. Alexa is still pretty good. Uh yeah, and then we have Theory, which I think Theory is probably third, and then alexas second, and Google Home is first.
Speaker 3: I would recommend Google Home.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're so smart.
Speaker 11: Okay, So so what if I say, Alexa to YouTube, I want to listen to YouTube?
Speaker 1: Well, I see again, you're you're kind of calling out some Google products here, and I think that Google would probably be a better, better solution there because Google has that direct connection to YouTube. Now, I think the Echo show, you know, it can do some of these things, but again it's a little bit more limited in the scope of what it can do. It can work with a lot of third party items and you know, smart home things, but YouTube specifically, are you trying to watch YouTube videos or are you trying to listen to YouTube music?
Speaker 11: Listen? Yeah, listen, listen to YouTube. Because it is a speaker doesn't have a screen, right.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on the one you get. So when it comes to I mean both Amazon and Google, they both have both. So some of the Amazon devices, like the Echo they're called the Echo shows, those have a screen, and then the Echo does not have a screen, that's just a speaker. So if you're going Echo show screen, Echo no screen. And then if you want on Google side, there are Google Home speakers, and then there's the Google Nest hubs and those have displays.
Speaker 2: So either way you'll be able to do that.
Speaker 1: But if if you want the Echo show, it supports a lot of variety of services, I mean, there's a lot of things that it supports. I'm just going to the website here to see. I mean, you know, it's it's like a lot of third party things that you can get.
Speaker 11: Another question, is Internet or count Internet is connected by itself to the Internet.
Speaker 1: No, you will need Internet, so you're gonna have to connect either one of these to Wi Fi. So, and I'm just looking at some of the supported services on the Echo Show. You've got Amazon Music, You've got Apple Music, Spotify, Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Food Network, Kitchen, Headspace, Audible, NPR, Amazon Photos, and a couple others. So, and you know, it's one of these things where Amazon's always adding new features. But it's just you know, you kind of have to decide if you want to if you want YouTube specifically, I think that the Google is going to be better for you because it's just it's just it's made by the same company and kind of just work together really well.
Speaker 11: Okay, say thank you to Parker and you Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, Neil, thanks for calling in today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Phone number triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So, uh, it's Memorial Day weekend, obviously a lot of people having folks over to the house, So what do we do clean up the backyard for the first time? And you know, all season, what is it? What is the deal with when people are coming over? It makes you clean the house right like you never like you always want to do this, but you don't do it until someone's coming to the house and you say, okay, we should probably clean up outside. But then by the time you get to that level of something, you're always so frustrated that it's gotten to that level that you're just like, why is our backyard so dirty? And why is the outside so messy? And why is the inside And then you get on this whole big you know, not ramp, but you're just like you're on this mission to like fix everything, and you're doing it on the day people are coming over. So that happened to us today before the show. We're sitting there going through everything. We're like rearranging stuff, cleaning stuff, wiping down stuff. I don't know why why do we decide to do it today of all days? We should if you do a little bit every weekend, it's like you'll keep things in order. But no, it's when I grew up, it was the same thing. My parents would do the same stuff. We'd have a party. Inevitably you'd be like touching up the paint on the side of the house, or you'd be like, you know, replanting the flowers or something. So I don't know why we decide to do all this stuff on the days where you need to have people over and you should be relaxing. But it's just the way we work. So maybe that's just everyone all right. You can follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech, on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter. Typically I go through what I've posted on Instagram for the week at rich on Tech. This week was a big one. Anytime I go to like one of these big events, there's always like something really interesting at these events and visual So this week, let's see, I went to this place called Lake Hollywood where they have this great view of the Hollywood Sign in Los Angeles. I've lived in the area for many years, never been and it was incredible.
Speaker 2: So I just took my phone out.
Speaker 1: I made a little Instagram reel of that, and it's just if you have people coming to Los Angeles. If you ever visit Los Angeles, look up a place called Lake Hollywood Park. It is probably the best place in the world to take a picture of the Hollywood Sign. My picture is not very good, but the video I took gives you an idea of just how nice this is. Then I went to this thing called the Display Week, which is put on by the Society for Information Display. This is like a trade group, but this was probably one of the most visual shows I've ever been to outside of CS So I did a video of this sixty five inch eight K foldable o LED display. And it's not something that they're going to make today. You've seen foldable phones, imagine that, but giant sixty five inch screen. This thing is enormous. It folds up into a little box. Why would you need it? I have no idea. Now people are debating on my Instagram. Why do you need a TV that folds up into a little box?
Speaker 2: I don't know. But maybe you have an RV I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe you have like a small space, maybe you have a little apartment that doesn't fit a lot of stuff. So it just these companies like to flex a little bit and show off what is possible. And if they didn't, that'd be a bad thing, right because we wouldn't have the innovations that lead to things that are actually useful. But this TV sixty five inch o lad screen, it's pretty incredible. It's from TCL and it's not a TV. I guess it's just a display, so that's on there as well. And then ugh, this is really cool. It's called a micro display. These are displays that are going to be powering our VR and AR headsets. And a lot of people are talking about this stuff right now because Apple is holding their next big event on June fifth, which I'll be at, and they are widely expected to show off a new augmented reality headset. And so the reality is this is something that people have been talking about with Apple for so long, so long, and it's finally coming to fruition supposedly, so these little displays, and all the people at the event were like, they didn't want to say it was because of Apple, but they're like, these are going to be very important, very soon. But I look through this little and I have this video on my Instagram at Richon Tech.
Speaker 2: You have to take a look.
Speaker 1: It looks like a peephole on a door, but you look through and there is a giant it almost looks like a giant screen inside. And what this is is it is a one point three inch four K micro o led display one point three inches but you look through this magnifying glass and it looks like an entire world inside.
Speaker 2: And just the way I shot it.
Speaker 1: It kind of like zooms in it and you like look almost like you're peering into it and you just see this whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's quite incredible. So that's on there as well.
Speaker 1: But those were two things that sort of went not viral, but you know, definitely a lot of interest. The other thing is this idea called a living vehicle. It's kind of like an RV, but it's a self sustainable, I don't know, a living vehicle, and it's got solar on the top. It's also pulls water in from thin air, and people are like, Rich, this is called an RV. We've had RVs forever. Well, RVs don't necessarily have solar and pull water from the air, so you can live anywhere. That was on my Facebook page and people are debating that as well. So lots of things always being posted. I love going to these events because I just get to see all this cool stuff, and of course I'm sharing it with you.
Speaker 2: That's you know.
Speaker 1: I do this stuff for TV, but I put on my Instagram as well, and it's just a lot of fun to do it all right. Coming up this week, the Surgeon General said that social media has a definite impact on teenagers. So we're going to talk Jim Steyer of Common Sense Media. He's gonna tell us some thoughts on that whole situation. We've got your calls at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. You can also email hello at richon tech dot TV. My name is Rich Dimiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff. I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. The phone lines are open. Kim is standing by to take your call and get you on the show at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one to a party in the studio here. I've got my son Parker, got Adam on the board, and we've got Paully Ann calling in from Arcadia.
Speaker 2: Paully Anne, welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Oh, thank you. I'm in Temple City now. I was driving home from the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've shifted locations.
Speaker 12: Yes, here's my problem I have. Maybe it's an iPhone ten or eleven. I charge it every night while I'm in bed, and this morning I woke up to take a look at my phone and it was dead.
Speaker 6: And I've been.
Speaker 12: Trying to revive it. And you're probably my last call before I call AT and T to figure out what next, because, thank goodness, I have a watch. Okay, I cannot say enough about the Apple Watch because at least I have this watch in which I'm speaking to you.
Speaker 1: Now you're calling me. Hold on, you're calling me from your watch. Yes, this is incredible. This is a first for the show.
Speaker 2: I think I can't.
Speaker 12: Say enough about the Apple Watch. It's not even a new fancy one, but it's great.
Speaker 2: I got to say.
Speaker 1: It sounds excellent. It sounds really really good. And in fact, when Apple launched the Apple Watch, they had a person in the middle of a lake on a on a one of those things called not a canoe, the paddle board. She was on a paddle board and she she called live on the stage when they were demoing this capability the call quality of the Apple Watch, and it was excellent, and so I'm very impressed.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Okay, so you have this phone. Do you know which model number it is?
Speaker 12: I think it's the ten or eleven. Okay, one of the first ones that have the there's no home button.
Speaker 8: You know, it's goods.
Speaker 12: Just swipe the screen. I'm wondering if it's just dark and I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, they're okay. So here's what I want you to do.
Speaker 1: So there is most people now you've probably tried holding down the home button and it doesn't do anything right correct, like the side button. Okay, So there is a little trick with the iPhone that is not widely known but it's a can we call it kind of a hard restart or a force restart, and this should just should kind of snap it into action. So let's try this together.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's it's kind of like the old days of like abba, you gotta press. So here's here's the what you have to do. So you press and release the volume up. Don't do this just yet, so it's pressure release volume up, pressure release volume down, and then you press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Speaker 2: So, okay, have you tried this yet?
Speaker 12: I have, but I am willing to try it again.
Speaker 1: You got to limber up the fingers, so kind of do a little stretch with them, you know, get them going, and then up volume up, volume down, and then press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Speaker 12: Okay, I am pressing and holding this side button and I'm thinking happy.
Speaker 2: Thoughts and you gotta It might take a bit because it's.
Speaker 12: Like, you know, it's yes, I understand, you know, it.
Speaker 1: Tells it tells the phone like, hey, stop fooling around. Let's uh, let's you know, get down to business here, and let's let's actually force restart this thing now. Are you positive that it charged overnight?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was plugged in. I've tested that cord with other devices. You know, it lights up other devices I've tried. I mean, I woke up at like seven o'clock, so I've been trying to pull it in and charge it for all this time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now when you okay, now that same exact charger. Did you try and this is kind of like the troubleshooting steps. I would take it home. Did you try plugging that into like another device and watching it say charging?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it does, so you confirm that. Now the other thing is that so this isn't working. It sounds like this would have come up by now, okay, like you you didn't see the Apple logo come up? Nope, okay, So if that didn't happen, it sounds like your phone is dead. So I would what I would do personally is I would look in the port, have you do you have a wireless charger available.
Speaker 12: To you now?
Speaker 1: Because what I would do is I would try putting it on a wireless charger and see if that brings it to life, and then that might mean that you have something stuck in the bottom of this phone. That's causing it to not charge. So when you plug it in, do you hear anything? No, no sound to let it wait wait.
Speaker 12: Wait it just I don't see that Apple logo, but I see it looks like a little screen that it looks like a computer.
Speaker 2: It looks like okay.
Speaker 12: Rectangle like, hey charge this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's a good sign. So it sounds like.
Speaker 12: It's okay restore Okay, this is this is hopeful.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have the magic.
Speaker 1: Well it sounds like it's coming back to life, slowly but surely. So I would just continue on whatever it's saying on the screen. Just see what it's kind of saying. If it's uh, you know, selling you to restart it, or is it saying restore.
Speaker 12: It's support dot Apple dot com or slash iPhone forward, slash store, and it's saying, hey.
Speaker 2: Plug it, plug it into plug it into a computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that into Yeah, so I would plug it into your computer and see hopefully have a backup that could be. But I would at this point, since you've gotten it to come alive, does it does it show the battery icon?
Speaker 12: No, it doesn't. It's just showing like it's showing like the little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's showing that it's saying like basically, plug me into a computer to kind of go to the next step. So I guess you can try that and see what happens. Or you can try restarting it again one more time with that force restart. Now that it's kind of come to life, you might try one more time to just restart it or maybe hold down the side button and see if that will do it. So, but that's uh, that's kind of like the main thing to do. But I think it sounds like it's starting to come back to life.
Speaker 12: So that's the kin very I'm very hopeful, So thank you so much. I've been watching you ONLA five and without any other resources, I heard you on the radio. I'm like, okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Try this well, try it out and email me hello at rich on tech dot tv to let me know if your phone in fact comes back to life. The iPhone is this weird thing because there's not many buttons, there's not many instructions, so when it's something, it usually works. When it doesn't, it's kind of like, okay, now what do I do. But the good news is Apple has built some things into the iPhone that help you get it back to working, even if it seems like it's gone terribly wrong. But it sounds like her phone is kind of there's some life still breathing into it. So I think we're going to have a happy ending for that one, Paullyan, So thanks for thanks for calling in today at triple eight rich one on one. Coming up next, we're going to talk to the founder and CEO of Common Sense. He is going to discuss the Surgeon General's warning about the impact of social media on teens. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at triple eight rich one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. This week, the Surgeon General issued a public warning about the risks of social media to young people, saying basically that we don't really know the impact of this stuff, so we've got to be on guard. And I think that's where I'll bring in Jim Steier. He is the founder and CEO of Common Sense Media. Jim, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Good to be here.
Speaker 9: Rich.
Speaker 6: Hey, So about the Surgeon General.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about this.
Speaker 1: So first off, just kind of give me your What did the Surgeon General say, is it? I kind of summarized it very quickly, but he basically just said that, like, look, we don't really know what's going on here, so we need to be aware of this, and kind.
Speaker 6: Of no, I actually rich he went much further than First of all, the surgeon General, doctor Badak Murphy is one of the best leaders in the United States. He was Surgeon General under President Obama and then he was reappointed by President Biden. He's one of the great medical and public health expersts in the United States and the a parent, by the way, And he actually went a lot farther than you said. He said, we believe that social media is hazardous to the mental health of young people, period full stop. And he said there are a number of different elements of this, but the evidence is now quite clear that social media, used unwisely by tens of millions of kids in the United States has a very delagorious impact on their health and mental health, on issues like addiction and tension, distraction, on issues like body image and eating disorders, on issues regarding suicide and self harmed. So he actually went much farther. It's quite similar to what the Surgeon General of the United States did fifty years ago or so when they put the warning label on the package of cigarettes that said tobacco smoking is hazardous your health. So this is a landmark moment for the Surgeon General and he did it on his own. The White House newe was going to come out with it. But it's really a statement by doctor Murphy. And I think for everyone in your audience, every parent, every educator, and every young person, they should listen loud and clear to what doctor Murphy had to say.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's really impactful.
Speaker 1: And I okay, so I guess breaking it down, what do you think we do from here? So now we're saying like, yeah, there's a problem, we know there's a problem.
Speaker 2: What is the solution? I mean what you know?
Speaker 1: Because tech companies, like any company, they don't want to be regulated. They don't want anyone to step in and say, hey, here's what you should do, so they come up with their own. You know, Instagram has a little warning that says you bring on for an hour and kids just click through it. It's really a wild West when it comes to these programs, isn't it.
Speaker 6: That's right? And they've clearly failed let's be just blunt about it. So Rich you did and introduce me as the head of Common Sense Media and the founder. But we are, you know, far and away the largest shall advoacy and kids media and tech group in the United States and globally. So what has to be done is multiple things. First and foremost, they absolutely need to be regulated, and they actually are in certain places. For example, in twenty eighteen, we passed a major privacy law in California, which is essentially the law of the land in the United States now, which protects everyone's privacy, including adults, but it particularly protects the privacy of young people. That doesn't mean that social media platforms necessarily always follow every guideline in that law, but that was a big issue around privacy, and last year in California we passed a major piece of legislation called the Age Appropriate Design Code, which actually holds platforms like Instagram and snapchats and TikTok et cetera a liable for the design flaws that will addict young people to the platforms.
Speaker 2: Like gambling. Even for adults.
Speaker 1: When you log on to Instagram and see those little hearts that pop up in the comments, that's like gambling.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, I got something.
Speaker 6: Very good acknology, very good announce because it's addictive and it leads to compulsive behavior, just like gambling does. And by the way, you're right, the efforts by the companies like Instagram are pathetic. They are not really serious. They're just sort of fig leaves in order to try to make like they're make it look like they're doing something. So there's number one. The solution is clear and bold regulation. And by the way, there's a major bill in California right now, SB two eighty seven that's authored by Senator Nancy Skinner and endorsed by the Attorney General Rob Bonta, which would hold social media platforms legally liable for harms they do to young people under the age of eighteen. So that's a very important bill. By the way, that's right in Sacramento. Now you might ask why I'm talking about Sacramento versus Washington, d C. Well, the reason is because the Congress has been missing in action since Mark Zuckerberg was in diapers. They literally have not passed any regulatory structure for social media or the tech industry writ large since the late nineties. So in the period of massive change where everyone now is affected by the Internet and social media and big tech platforms. Congress has been completely missing in action and has failed the American public pathetically, partly because the tech companies have lobbied so much against it. So California has essentially become the place in the United States that regulate tech companies, but Europe also does as well. So one issue is regulation, but the second thing is you really have to educate young people about all of this, and so we have a program in one hundred and ten thousand schools. Collegen's a big organization about digital literacy and citizenship, and some of that's about basic how to protect your identity, how to keep your privacy, how to not compare yourself to everybody on the internet on platforms like Instagram, But some of it's now increasingly about mental health issues. And that's why the Surgeon General released this warning this past week because he's really concerned that we, which we do, have a mental health crisis in this country, and it's clear that social media is one of the major contributing factors. So there's an education alternate solution to and then they're finally holding the tech industry accountable not just through legislation, but quite frankly through shaming them when they do stuff that tazards the help of young people.
Speaker 1: Now, some of these suggestions in the report where create boundaries, limit the use of phones, tablets, computers for at least one hour before bedtime, you know, keep meal times and in person gatherings, device free, engage in two way conversations, connect with people in person, make unplugged interactions a daily priority. And then some of the stuff you mentioned, be cautious about what you share. And then they get into don't keep harassment or abuse a secret when and that comes to, you know, cyber bullying and all those kind of things. But here's what I notice, as you know, a spectator in not only having kids but also sure, what I see is that this thing is a babysitter. It is simple, it's easy, it's it works everywhere. It allows parents to enjoy their dinner. And I don't think that there's a lot of impetus by parents or kids to think about some of this stuff. So how do we change that part of it?
Speaker 6: So that's a really good question, rich and honestly, again, running the biggest organization in the country on these issues. I would tell you that there's more awareness than you just suggested about this. But you're right, it's an updill battle. So if the onus were only on parents and young people themselves to follow all those suggestions that you just listed from the surgeon in general, right, that would probably not be sufficient alone. Although I would tell you, having run common Sense now for nearly twenty years, there's been a sea change in understanding of thing. But for example, I'm the father or four kids. Rich I don't know how many kids.
Speaker 2: You have, but I've got two. I've got one in studio with me today, my eleven year old.
Speaker 6: There you go, Well, you should ask your kid in the studio what rules they followed, But I will, but put.
Speaker 2: Me on the spot. Believe met it put them on the spot.
Speaker 6: But anyway, the doctor Bentsy is totally correctly. Look, you shouldn't go to bed with your phone. You should put it away or your tablet. And so that's a rule that parents can enforce, but they have to also be a role model. One thing that we say, we have one hundred and fifty million users that common Sense media annually, so we tell parents all the time by the way I'm a parent myself, and no one's perfect is you know, you've got to practice what you preach. So if you want to have device free dinner, we ran a whole campaign a few years ago for two years where Will Ferrell was the star of some incredibly fun commercials. It was basically, put your phone away and pay attention to your family. And so a lot of the suggestions you're referring to are very practical and should be done, and it's not shouldn't be lost on you that common sense. As one hundred and fifty million regular users, that's an incredible number and it does mean that parents and young people are listening. But you're also right at that alone. First of all, that it's really hard because we live in this twenty four to seven addictive, compulsive digital world where your phone is always pinging you with alerts, et cetera. So you have to change habits, and habits change is hard. It's why you need regulation and legislation, and it's why you need holding the tech industry accountable and an ongoing public awareness effort, including conversations like when you and I are having this Saturday, which is this is a discussion that has to be happening every home, every school, and quite frankly, we need legislative solutions as well. It is a full court press in order to deal with some of the downsides of tech, because we all know that there are also benefits from technology and from social media and common senses is the name says that all. We're very fair in the way we look at this, but these issues are only going to get bigger by the way now with AI. So if you look at the advent of chat, GPT and bard and some of the other platforms that are now beginning to emerge, it's going to increase some of the impact of social media platforms. AI will and.
Speaker 2: Well, think about it.
Speaker 1: When your AI knows you so well and it feels like it's a friend that you can ask almost anything to, you're going to spend even more time with it, and you're going to want to spend more time. And by the way, this can all be more personalized for who you are and what you're into. I mean, we think TikTok serves up videos that we like. Imagine in this AI, you know hones in that's.
Speaker 6: Right, and you know rich what it will do, particularly with vulnerable kids. Look, forty percent of teenager who in the United States report that they feel depressed have felt depressed montret That's just a phenomenal number. Forty percent. I hope that's not true for your kids or my kids or folks in the audience, but that means nearly half of all children experience some form of depression. And that's that's not even including some of the more serious cases of self harmed, suicidal ideation, et cetera. So, look, this is a public health crisis, a mental health crisis, and so we have to take it very seriously, and we have to have an ongoing conversation. And by the way, you've got two kids, rich, you do have to have we do, We all do have to have these conversations with our kids and be honest and open and listen to what they're experiencing. Also, know that they love platforms like YouTube and TikTok and snapchats and scroll through Instagram endlessly looking at photos of other people thinking that they don't look as good or you know, they're not as pretty or as smart, et cetera. So this is a really complicated issue, but it's very important that the Surgeon General came out with this warning, and it's very important that each and every one of us uses common sense takes advantage of some of the practical recommendations, but ultimately we've got a whole the tech industry accountable, period.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim, we're going to leave it there, Jim Styre of common Sense Media. Commonsense dot org is the website. And we didn't even get into the fact that we're talking about teens here, but a lot of this stuff affects adults as well in a big way. So maybe we'll have to have you back on and talk about that hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next check me about adults. Rich, that'd be great, one hundred percent. All right, Jim, appreciate it. Jim Syre of Commonsense dot org. Look it up.
Speaker 1: It's a great resource, and we really really need to think about this stuff because it is having an impact on our families, our kids, and like I said, even adult It is a real thing. So just think think about even this weekend when you're hanging out with friends and family.
Speaker 2: Just put the phone away.
Speaker 1: For a little bit, all right, Rich DeMuro here Rich on Tech. More of your calls at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 2: One zero one.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you.
Speaker 2: What a great guest.
Speaker 1: We just had on to talk about the impact of social media on teens, and I mentioned it's not just teens.
Speaker 2: I mean it's adults too, Believe me.
Speaker 1: And look, I'm not sitting here saying that I'm better or you know, I.
Speaker 2: Know how to do all this stuff, because I don't.
Speaker 1: I think we are all in this together when it comes to the implications of this stuff. We just take for granted. We've got our phones. You download the main apps, which is you know, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and we're just humans these companies are they engineer these apps to make us want to use them. You would never make an app that people don't want to use. Why would you do that? You engineer it so that people use it. They call it engagement, they call it stickiness. They want you to open up that app as much as humanly possible, even though they sometimes say, you know, we're putting in this and that it's all kind of I mean, who really uses a lot of those.
Speaker 2: Features on their phone?
Speaker 1: Like I had the thing where it tells me on Instagram have you been on for an hour today, like time to you know, stop using this and you press okay and you forget about it and that's it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: TikTok has a thing where it tells teens that they, you know, have been on too long and you know, all you have to do is click okay and move on with your life. So it's one of these things where I don't have the answers. I don't think anyone does. And I understand that, you know, regulation and all this stuff is sometimes you know, it might just be what we need to get through.
Speaker 2: Some of this.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because certainly we are not equipped as humans to do it ourselves. We're up against lots of smart people that are programming these things to make us use them.
Speaker 2: And it's great.
Speaker 1: If you've ever been on vacation you're looking for a cool spot or a nice picture place or a good restaurant, all these things are incredibly useful. Or if you've connected with someone on Instagram that you used to go to school with, or you know, you get to watch their kids grow up, it's great. But there's also that that other side of it. Let's go to Jan Jan in Upland, California, you're on with Rich Jan.
Speaker 13: How you doing, Hey, Rich, I'm great. Is it okay to have.
Speaker 2: You on speaker as long as everything sounds okay? So far, so good?
Speaker 13: Yeah, great, that sounds wonderful. I like to have you on Speakret because my husband's here too, and he understands tech stuff just a bit better than I do. So I'm hoping that between us will get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, what's going on?
Speaker 13: Well, it's great to hear you on KFI and your well spoken son.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you. He's going to take over the show one day, hopefully.
Speaker 12: Now I'm just going to He's going to give you a run for your money.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm sure these kids are way ahead of where I was at their age. But all right, let's see what you got going on. What's happening?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you've got so. I just thought a Microsoft US prom To tablet. It's the first tablet I've had specifically for traveling, so I could download things onto it so that i'd have things to do on the plane when I didn't have Li Fi and such. So I'm having difficulty with it though, and it was pretty useless. On my last trip. I tried to download a few typical you know, brain games and things like that onto it before my travels, and everything loaded onto my cell phone instead, even though I was downloading it on my tablet.
Speaker 1: And the okay I know, okay, so you were downloading items from Google Play to your on your tablet basically, yes, exactly, Okay, Well here's what's happening. So that's okay. So what's happening is when you go to if let's say you want to download like, you know, candy Crush, right, and it brings you to the Google Play app. It says like apps on Google Play, so that when you press install, that is actually installing on your Do you have an Android phone? I'm guessing yes, okay, so that is actually installing on your Android phone. So that is the you know, Android lets you install remotely from a website. Now here's what I think you need to do on this device is that you need to go into the Windows Store to download what you want. So down at the bottom, type in store and that should bring you to the Windows you know, their version of the App Store, and that way you can go and find the apps you want there and that will install them on that tablet. Does that make sense. Can you find that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we're up in port right now.
Speaker 1: And so if you if you type in store, that is you know, so basically you've got three things going on here. You've got Windows, You've got Android, and you've got iOS. All of them have their own stores for apps. And they call them stores because some apps, you know, even though they're free, they sell stuff. You know, some apps might be paid, some might be free. But that is how you get apps to that device. Now, this is a surface device, so it's going to run both you know, Windows apps, and it's going to run stuff from the Microsoft Store. And so that's where you need to be downloading these apps. And did you find it? Yeah, okay, there you go. So that's where you want to download them, and that's how you're going to get those apps onto that device.
Speaker 2: I know it must have been. You must have been like, wait, what is happening here?
Speaker 1: I'm pressing installed and all of a sudden, this thing's shown up on my phone.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I wasn't sure what happened. I got Kindle, I bought a book and I can't find the book anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well you go, now you've got rich on tech. It sounds like you found it so Jan, thanks so much for calling in today. I appreciate it, and hopefully that tablet slash surface is much more useful on your next vacation. All right, that's gonna wrap up our number two of the show. It goes by fast. I can't believe it. More of your calls coming up. We've got triple eight. Rich one on one is the phone number eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one.
Speaker 2: I've got my son Parker in the studio here.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about final Cut pro on the iPad and just a little bit and whatever else you have.
Speaker 2: On your mind.
Speaker 1: My name is rich Dmiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro hanging out with you on this Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one on one is the number eight eight eight seven four to two for to one zero one. I've got my son Parker hanging out here in studio.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: I guess it's take.
Speaker 1: Your kids to work day sometimes in the show, right yeah, yeah, We've got Adam on the board. We've got Kim picking up the phone lines which are just lighting up right now. This is usually the third hour of the show is when y'all calm down with the phone calls, and I'm sitting here trying to, you know, get through all the things I want to tell you about. And now I've got We've got full phone line. So I guess let's take a call with Wendy in Arizona. Whndy you're on with rich.
Speaker 8: Hey, Brick, I'm glad you brought your son to work. It's important that the kids know what you do all day. I think they think we're just out having fun.
Speaker 2: They also think money grows on trees, right, this is true.
Speaker 8: I'm eighty two years old, very proud, great great grandmother and my grandchildren have kept me up to speed on Techi stock, but they re lee have moved further away with jobs and work different schedules. So I need to ask you a question about my iPhone. I'm absolutely hooked on KFI radio. Listened to it for years in California and was thrilled to find that through her heart radio I could get it here in Arizona. I love to hear that my phone overnight because I'm handicapped and I need it right next to my bed. Promised my daughter I would do that smart and I charge it also while it's beside my bed, and occasionally I cannot get iHeartRadio because of Internet problems on my echo, so I listened to it on my phone. Sure, is that hurting my phone that I'm charging it and listening to iHeartRadio all night?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think, you know, maybe in the past it might be putting a little bit more. Are you Is it all night long for like eight hours?
Speaker 8: And oh yeah, Usually I plug it in when I go to sleep, charge it and if I can't get iHeartRadio on the internet, and we often have Internet problems off and on.
Speaker 2: Why are you having internet problems? Oh, I'm curious.
Speaker 8: Well, because it's a rural area with less than perfect service and it's getting better, okay, but it's not there yet.
Speaker 2: How long have you had the iPhone?
Speaker 8: I've had the iPhone about three years. It's a se twenty.
Speaker 2: And you've been doing this for a while with the phone?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, okay, So I've been doing it whenever I either lose internet service or if I travel and don't have internet service. Here's we're in a motel somewhere.
Speaker 1: Here's what I want you to check. Are you on the phone right now, I am. Okay, So you're gonna have to wait till we get off the phone. But if you go into these settings, okay, you go into settings and then you click battery and then it says battery health and charging, and it will tell you the maximum capacity of your battery. Now, mine is at ninety six percent. I've had this phone since the day it came out. This is only a year old, so it's gone down about four percent in the maximum capacity of the battery. You can check in there and see what your battery's at, and you can see if it's you know, if it's at a good percentage, you know, ninety percent. You know, that's telling you. When this battery came from the factory, it was at one hundred percent capacity. Like, this battery is perfect. And as you use it, the battery, of course wears down a little bit. And some things will cause it to wear down more than others, like maybe using it in really hot temperature, maybe using like not a very good charging cable or something. You know, it just depends. But I will tell you I am a power power power user. I run my phone into the ground. I charge it as much as humanly possible. I charge it every night. It is always going and I've gone down four percent in about, you know, almost a year. So it just goes to show that, yes, the things you do on your phone absolutely have an impact on the battery health. But I think the fact that you can look in there and see kind of like what's happening with your battery, that can give you a better idea. So what I would do for the next six months write down the number that you're at today, and then in six months, check the number that you have there in the maximum capacity, and if it's going down by a lot, lot lot like ten percent twenty percent, which I don't think it will be, then you know, maybe you rethink what you're doing here, but I think that you're going to be just fine. I've used phones over the years, and realistically, you know, I think it more comes down to the way that you run the battery in the heat. That might have more of an impact on it than anything else. But I think that listening to the streaming what's happening is your phone is basically the battery is trickle charging while it's depleting a little bit, So it's just kind of always charging and battery tech has gotten a lot better where it's not like it used to be where it's super impacted by memory and all this stuff. So I think think you're doing okay, Wendy. Thanks for listening all day long. Appreciate it, and thanks for listening to me especially. And I'm glad that your kids know that you're keeping your phone bedside so that if you ever need them, you can get in touch with them easily. So thanks for calling today, Wendy. Appreciate it. All right, Parker, you're here. We're going to talk about Final Cut Pro on the iPad. So Final Cut Pro is a program that I use pretty much, I think, every day of my life now for fifteen years. I've used this since I started at CNET. I remember they said you got to learn how to use Final Cut and I said what They said, Yeah, you're going to be editing videos.
Speaker 2: I said, all right, So they taught me a little bit of how to use it.
Speaker 1: It was very basic, but I've learned over the years and this thing has become my everything. I use this program every day. It's why I typically use a Mac computer and it is my program of choice for editing on a physical computer. Now they just came out with Final Cut Pro for iPad. It is five dollars a month or fifty dollars for the year, which is a little bit controversial because not everyone likes to pay for something Like I paid for my Final Cut one time. It was three hundred dollars many many years ago and it still works now. Final Cut on the iPad is really cool for a couple of reasons. Number one, you can use a touch interface, so you can use just your fingers to do this, or you can use the Apple pencil, which which is really fun. It is, yeah, And the other cool thing is that you can write on the screen and make graphics.
Speaker 4: That is that's one of the best parts. I think, like it's basically.
Speaker 3: Kind of like animating.
Speaker 4: You can't really animate on there, but like if you're like I kind of want something to be like animating, then that's the way to go.
Speaker 1: And it's super easy because you're just writing. Okay, so you've been using this on the iPad pro. And the other caveat is that you have to have an iPad with an M one processor. This is the Apple's, you know, their own chip, and so they have the M one and the M two and there's some differences if you have them. There's some features you may not be able to use. If you have the M two, obviously you can use them all. So park what's your your impression of this? Because I think it's quite incredible.
Speaker 3: I think it's incredible too.
Speaker 4: I mean, like it's insane if you think about it, like an insane editing software on an iPad.
Speaker 3: That's pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: When I first saw my dad maybe editing on this, I was like, oh no, never, I mean maybe one day I'll learn this, Like it looks hard, maybe I take some classes or like literally I just spend hours in my dad working. But since it like I heard him talk about it actually on the radio about this that I tried it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I tried it.
Speaker 1: So what Parker will do is he will he will ask me when I come home from an event, He'll say, hey, Dad, can you air drop me the video files from that event? And I will air drop him and he will make his own little edit of that program. And you did this for the display thing that I went to, and I was very impressed with what you were able to do.
Speaker 2: See how easy was it to learn how to use this?
Speaker 3: I actually thought it wasn't super hard.
Speaker 4: Some of the things, though, I feel like are harder than others, which I think there's gonna have to be, Like maybe later on they'll be like videos of how to use it. Like right now it's not a lot because it's brand new, but I think it should be more noticeable for some things than others.
Speaker 2: Like some things you were able to pick up very easily.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like uh, one of them are just like drag and drop the uh the videos and uh stuff, and but some hard things were like split the clip.
Speaker 1: And all that stuff that I would say that's the trickiest because it's the trickiest. I would say splitting the clip is probably the most common way of editing on the desktop.
Speaker 2: You just you can use like the blade tool like b or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I did actually because uh, i've the Apple keyboard, and I actually learned that if you press command be at once it ain't like while holding the clip, it will actually split it.
Speaker 3: And then that's how you do it.
Speaker 4: But I actually want to know how to do it without the keyboard.
Speaker 1: Some people don't know it's in the lower right hand corner. I discovered it. So when you tap a clip. It's in the lower right hand, but.
Speaker 3: You needble yes, and.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to do that.
Speaker 1: So I think they're going to figure out how to make that more more visible because it's one of the things that I kept cutting the entire clip, and so I just get rid of it. It felt like the way to do it. But overall, I will say it's it's really good. It's for out of the gate. I think for someone who is coming up in the industry, like a you know, like my kid here that is just getting started with editing. It has become now where the iPad finally is nearly a replacement for a desktop computer that is more versatile because you have the beauty of an iPad and everything that you could do on a computer.
Speaker 4: Basically, I would say, if you want to get rid of your laptop and uh get rid like yeah, get rid of your laptop, then I would say you'd have to probably go with the Apple keyboard with it because it's like a lot easier. But I think the Apple pencil still has most of the features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Apple pencil being able to pencil is.
Speaker 3: So I think it's worth it for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like you, so you'd say Apple pencil. So if you're doing final cut pro editing on the iPad, you've got to get the Apple pencil.
Speaker 4: And I agree, I don't think you you don't need to.
Speaker 3: It's not acquired.
Speaker 4: I would say it is worth it. It's worth the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tweeted this yesterday.
Speaker 1: I said I felt like Picasso when I was editing on this thing yesterday because it's the combination of just holding this flat device in your lap. You're editing, but you're using your hand on the screen to select stuff, and then I'm using the pencil on the other hand. It felt so easy and fluid and natural that I really think that Apple did a really incredible job of getting this into more hands. And I think more people are just going to start editing on the iPad and we're going to have the whole a whole new generation of Well, of course it's going to be like TikTokers and YouTubers, but maybe the next directors of like movies and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 4: It's also just simple and easy to learn, so if you want to learn it, I would go on ahead and try.
Speaker 1: So all right, Well, thank you Parker for giving your your and Parker and I usually do these little edit offs where he'll edit the same thing that I edit, and then we compare notes and we'll see who I.
Speaker 4: Time did that in a car, like a really long car drive.
Speaker 3: We did that for fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's fun. So I'd recommend if you can try it out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, final cut pro on the iPad. Thanks for joining me today, Parker, appreciate it. We're gonna still stick around for the rest of the show. Coming up, we're going to talk I've got so many things talk about. I want to talk about this Peloton price increase, but they put a good spin on it, so they're making you feel like you're getting more. I've got a website that you can check if you're getting scammed. We're going to talk about Max, the new streaming service, and I've got a guest and plus your calls. It's all happening here rich On Tech, Triple eight, rich one on one. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Did you know that you can get this show as a podcast. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv, click the podcast icon and there's show notes to everything I mentioned. So if you want show notes, you can see what I talk about here and on that website you can also watch my TV segments. You know, I am the tech reporter for KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. I cover a whole bunch of topics every week and usually it's a lot of fun. So go to Rich on tech dot tv and look for the as seen on TV. All Right, a couple of things I want to get through. So first off, let's see what do we want to start with here. Let's do Max because this is an easy one. So HBO Max became Max and it now is the home of all kinds of stuff. So they launched this week thirty five thousand hours of content, more than twice that of HBO Max for the same price. Okay, all these companies like to put a little spin on things. They say it's the same price, but if you want the same features, you have to pay a little bit more. I'll explain that in a second. So what do you get with Max? You get HBO, you get Max Originals, which is all their new stuff. Then you get Warner Brothers Films, DC Universe, Harry Potter, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery Channel, TLC ID and more because Warner Brothers, I don't know if they merged or bought Discovery, whatever it is. It's very complicated, but it's all now like one company. So Warner Brothers, Discovery, HBO Max all the same stuff.
Speaker 2: And the new app is called Max.
Speaker 1: If you have access to HBO Max, you have access to Max. So go on your device, whether it's Apple, TV, fireTV, Roku, iPhone and download the Max app. You can log in with your HBO Max credentials. I know this all sounds so wild, but this is what it is. There's also better kids stuff on here, so it has like a default kids profile, and there's more four K stuff so and this is where it gets a little t So there's gonna be a lot more four K content and there's gonna be an average of forty new titles every month, which is wild.
Speaker 2: Now here's the pricing.
Speaker 1: Max with ADS is nine ninety nine a month or one hundred bucks a year, and that will give you no offline downloads, so if you travel, that's a no go. Mad Ax Max AD free is sixteen dollars a month or one hundred and fifty dollars a year. That will give you thirty offline downloads and HD quality now if you want. And this is where it gets where they said, oh, we're giving you, you know, the same for the same price.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 1: So MAX Ultimate AD Free is twenty dollars a month or two hundred dollars a year, and that will give you four K resolution, one hundred download downloads, offline downloads, and Dolby at moosts. So basically, if you are paying sixteen dollars a month before and you want four K in the future, you're gonna have to pay twenty dollars because existing HBO Max subscribers will have access to MAX at the same price, but only for about well same features for six months. So if you have four K right now, like I do on my plan, I'm only going to get to keep that for six more months, so well, I say, at least six months. So they haven't really said how they're going to change, But the bottom line is we know how these tech companies do it. They launch something and then when people forget about it, they slowly change things and of course make it a little bit more expensive. So that's that speaking a more expensive peloton. Peloton put a nice spin on their increase of prices. So they've relaunched their app with a free level. Okay, that's great, So you can take free classes on their app. It's limited, but it's free and that's nice, and that's the headline that they got a lot of people to talk about. And it's great, you know, but there's a lot of free fitness options out there, and I think Peloton has always sort of been linked to the device or like myself, I use a third party bike, but I use the Peloton app. So for people like me, the price is actually doubling. So it used to be twelve ninety nine a month, now it's going to be twenty four dollars a month because the twelve ninety nine no longer includes unlimited hardware based classes.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: The cycling classes, the treadmill classes, the rowing classes, you only get three of those now used to be unlimited for twelve ninety nine. Now you only get three a month. And they know that that's their bread and butter, even though in this entire release they talk about how you know, these are the most popular things that people do.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So if you have the Peloton app, if you have a Peloton bike, nothing's really changing. Like, if you pay that forty five dollars a month or whatever it is, you're fine. But if you're using the app just for the classes and you use like a treadmill or a different bike, you're gonna have to pay twenty four dollars a month if you want to continue with unlimited classes. This goes into effect on Tuesday, December fifth, so you have some time. But look, I get it. It's it's twenty four bucks a month for all these classes, and Peloton has very very good classes. But still you saw the spin and you know, they said, hey, we got a free tier, but they kind of left out the fact that their best customers like myself are now going to be paying double if they want to continue with what they have.
Speaker 2: So there you go all these companies.
Speaker 1: I mean, the amount of price increases we have seen on these streaming apps has just been incredible. I think that every single streaming app in the past year and a half has gotten a price increase or some sort of change where you have to make a decision do I want to continue with this price or do I want to get the feature as I was getting before and pay a little bit of a higher price.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we've got John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report. He's going to join me to talk about the vin Fast EV and we're going to get his take on the whole new Ford and Tesla deal. Rich tamiro here, Rich on Tech More show coming up next. Welcome back to Rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here talking technology and evs are a big part of the tech world right now. And one of the companies that's looking to make a stake is called vin Fast. And also so we've got those cars now on the roads, and we've also got this deal this week with Ford and Tesla, two unlikely characters coming together. So starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than twelve thousand Tesla superchargers in the US and Canada.
Speaker 2: This is a huge, huge deal. So to talk about this.
Speaker 1: News and more, make sure I get the right button here, we've got John Faulkner from Clean Fleet Report. John, thanks for being on the show again. Welcome, Hello, Hello, Rich, with you you too. All right, let's start you want to where do you want to start? You want to start with your review of the vin Fast.
Speaker 9: Or what Yeah, let's get that one out of the way out of the way.
Speaker 1: Oh that doesn't that doesn't sound promising. So let me just set this up. So we were at the my son is here with us. Remember we my son was excited about the vin Fast. We saw it at the mall in Santa Monica, right huh.
Speaker 4: And I mean the design looked good, but I mean it's hard to get a car out there.
Speaker 3: I mean it's hard.
Speaker 1: So this is a Vietnamese company. Tell me about the vin Fast, John Okay.
Speaker 9: Vin Fast was formed only in twenty seventeen by its parent company, vin Group, which is Vietnam's largest company. Twenty nineteen, they started with gasoline powered cars in their own country. Twenty twenty one, they introduced an electric bus. In twenty twenty one, they had three electric vehicles that they introduced but didn't release. They just announced them then at CES in twenty twenty two. Vin Fast was there. In the fall of twenty twenty two, their first models were shipped to America and opened their retail stores and mall like you experienced. They have twenty eight United States and ten in Canada, and all the ones the United States are in tel Alifornia.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 9: Then, and then in twenty twenty two, they signed an agreement to open a manufacturing plant in North Carolina, with production to begin with the capacity of one hundred fifty thousand vehicles in twenty twenty five. And then they delivered their first cars for people to drive home in early this year. So what you can see is going from never having built an automobile of any type in twenty seventeen and in twenty twenty three, this is this is unheard of.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, this company, this Vin Group, they weren't oh wow, okay, focuses on real estate, retail and services and healthcare. Right, oh wow, So they really shifted. Okay, so they saw some opportunity. Here's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and so let me go ahead and just tell the one what we did. In early May, then Fast tilled their first ever drive opportunity.
Speaker 11: For the MOTED media.
Speaker 9: After a product briefing by Kievan Fast staff, which included their CEO. We were turned loose and we drove to ignore the San Diego County. So the vehicles that we were driving were the were the then Fast VF eight City and this is their this is their lowest range mid size suv. And so I had a driving partner with me, and we took off and we we immediately noticed that there were things about the vehicle that were not up to par or equal with other evs that we have driven by other brands. And and so we got back after our drive, we sat down with the DEAT executives and we told them the things that we noticed. And I don't think anything we told them was surprising. They'd probably known this already. And and so the the the bottom line for this thing is that in my opinion, that they are rushing into the north North American market and if the v fate that we drove the media, just not myself or my partner, but all the journalists there that we drove is what they're selling to people. People are not going to be buying it. And the reason is pretty understandable. They're only launching this vehicle in California, and they say they want to be here because the charging system is the most robust in the whole country, and people understand electric vehicles well, they do, but that cuts both ways. Californians are EV savvy and they are going to do many, many hours of research online before and do wort of mouth before they will actually go out and buy an EV and once they test drive any of the more established evs that compete against the v fate, they will they will probably not be buying it, don't They're going to wait on that vehicle. And there are and there are some challenges them. It has a relatively low driving range two hundred and seven.
Speaker 2: Miles maximum oh wow. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And the pricing is including the twelve hundred dollars delivery fee. The base one is fifty thy two hundred and the plus model of fifty seven to two hundred. The problem with that is that they don't qualify for any federal or California JAST rebates of credits. So therefore they are they're going against they're going against cars that are getting one hundred miles or more range they are getting they're getting vehicles that are well established. Yeah, and so they're offering the most robust warranty ten years, one hundred and ten thousand miles. The question, though, is, as a new company from a country that has no history of building automobiles, will they be around in ten years?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: So will they be there to support it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it sounds like this is one of the let's wait and see. And here's what's happened in the EV world. And you know this is that it started out, you know, you had Tesla, they kind of set the standard, and then now we've seen in the past couple of years so many great options and they just continue to get better. So it is it continues to get more and more competitive and tougher to really, like you're saying, cut corners here and deliver a product that is like, Okay, it's got two hundred miles range, which is fine if you're just commuting, big deal, but you know, the price is a little bit high, the features might not be up to speed. So I think when it comes to vin Fast, from what I'm hearing from you is we kind of wait and see on that one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I don't want people to not take a test drive in it. I want them to take a test drive. But these are going to be people that are probably already driven the leaders that compete against this. So the model why all three from the Hyundai group, the Ford, Moche, you just all these vehicles, is what's going to sell against this on the whole BMW, the Audis and they're gonna they're going to look at this and say, you know something, I don't know anything about this company. I don't you know, they have no warranty industry, they have no reliability history. Maybe I'll wait until the next version comes. Yeah, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we got we got that the way.
Speaker 1: We only have a couple minutes here, So I want to I want to get into this news with Ford and Tesla, because this is pretty wild. Ford said they reached a deal with Tesla to basically allow their customers to access the superchargers starting in spring twenty twenty four, and they are going to I guess give adapters to users of the F one fifty, the Mustang Mochi, the E Transit.
Speaker 2: But then later in twenty twenty five, they're going to.
Speaker 1: Equip their evs with the port that I guess Tesla superchargers just work with. So this is a pretty big step and I think it has very broad implications for the EV industry, Like basically we're establishing Tesla supercharging network is sort of the kind of the almost like the standard now and there's some pros and cons of that.
Speaker 2: So give me your thoughts on this.
Speaker 9: Well, on Thursday of this week, when this news broke. It was you're right, you took my you took my words right on the mouth. This is huge. This is this is the This is not only the accepting of Tesla, which when they came out to when they first announced many many years ago, you know, well less than a decade ago, that they were coming out with vehicles. All the grandiose plans and all the all the predictions and all the all the vehicles are going to have they didn't happen, so people didn't take them seriously. Well, now Tesla has taken extremely seriously with them with the Model Y being the most successful, the highest selling vehicle in the world in this category. I'm talking about any any vehicle, truck, car, anything, it's the number one and in the first quarter of this year, so they it's and it's just amazing. So what this is going to do for Ford because Ford is on a fast track just like our General Motors, Atlantis, ALII, Volkswagen, the Hundai Group, all of them, they're on this track that they're they're just going to be releasing vehicle evs like you just can't believe. And of course with the with the twenty thirty five mandate, coming up in California, that no new cars could be sold that aren't that aren't zero mission vehicles. You know, that's that's twelve years from now, eleven years from now. I mean, these companies, they they got to get their act together. And what Ford realized was, Hey, we're going to get in bed with these guys. Ford currently has something called blue Oval.
Speaker 2: This this is gonna sell.
Speaker 1: This is going to sell a lot of cars, and it's it's and it puts pressure on the other manufacturers to do the same thing, which I think, if you, you know, depending on how you look at it, is a little scary because now we're letting one company kind of, you know, rule this entire world of charging for evs, and like you just said, the market continues to grow for these things, and so I think that there's some some big implications here.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: We got to end it there, because we've talked so much. Tell folks how they can read all the stuff that you do, all these great road tests.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Our our website is clean fleet report dot com. And then when you get there, you can either read the featured stories on the top, or you can the search bar and type in any any mucle you want and you can find a review and yeah, so it is you and I've been on these programs together and it's uh, it's this is the most exciting time the automotive industry never been anything like.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, I mean for myself, like looking at forward now, you know, because of this, I feel like I would give them a look for this car and other cars that are going with this platform because the ability to drive anywhere in charge is what the supercharger network brings to the table. But it's also scary because, like I said, you know, when when companies get too much power, sometimes the prices, you know, they follow. So all right, we're gonna leave it there, John, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I'll see you soon, Okay, bye, all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up end of the show. I can't believe it. It is your favorite segment. It's the feedback segment. It's the time when I will read all of this stuff that you send me.
Speaker 2: You hear it.
Speaker 1: It's all right here rich On tech Rich Demiro coming back at you in just a bit.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to a rich On tech Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology, and closing out the show with what has become one of your favorite segments, the Feedback. Before I get to the feedback, I've got ton this week, I want to just tell you about this Better Business Bureau website that I did a story on and it's very, very helpful. It's called the Scam Tracker BBB dot org slash scam Tracker, and I will put this up on my website rich on tech dot tv in the show notes. But if you think you're getting scammed, or if a family member is asking you about a scam, go to this website and just type in a keyword about what's happening to you, and I guarantee you you will find some sort of person that has reported this somewhere in the US. We talked to a woman who was trying to adopt a kitten and she ended up getting scammed out of about fifteen hundred dollars. And if she literally would have typed in the word kitten into this website, she would have read accounts from all over the US about the same exact scam that got her. And basically I kept promising her the cat and they just kept asking for more money, and it turned out to be.
Speaker 2: She didn't adopt.
Speaker 1: She was trying to go through like a breeder, which is a whole other can of worms. But anyway, BBB dot org, slash scam Tracker, Bookmarket, it's a really helpful site.
Speaker 2: And I think it can really really help people.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to the feedback segment, Parker.
Speaker 2: You want to read the first one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will.
Speaker 4: So this is from Melinda and she said, there's a person on Instagram who's offering me thirty thousand dollars on his Instagram account and Instagram account says he's a Powerball winner and his purpose is to give donations to people.
Speaker 3: Could this you legit? How can I check?
Speaker 4: And the person's account was Dave underscored, Johnson underscored giveaway and plus some other numbers.
Speaker 1: So the guys, the guy's account on Instagram is Powerball Winner want the giveaway. Yeah, that sounds like a scam to me. So I hope you stay steer clear of that, Melinda, because that is a that is one hundred percent scam.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the scam is.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing you have to send him something and then he'll send you some money or well purport to send you money, but that's anyone with uh what was his name again, what was the user name?
Speaker 4: It was Dave underscored, Johnson underscored, giveaway and plus some numbers.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's definitely. Yeah. Let's say if I had an that would be an do not do not go with that.
Speaker 3: Any says giveaway and yeah, that's that's a scam.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, let's go.
Speaker 1: Fred says, Hey, Rich, if you want to record anything on Windows ten or eleven, all you have to do is press the Windows key plus all plus R. This will record anything on the screen, including sound. This was in response to someone that called in about recording programming on like Amazon Prime and YouTube. And I tried this on my Windows and I could not get it to record the sound. And I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I have a feeling that sound may not be as easy to record. I know on the Mac it's a separate program that you need to record the sound. So but Fred, that's a that's a great way to record stuff on the screen that may not include sound. Again, Windows key all plus R is a good one. Stu chimed in about our conversation regarding AM radio. We were talking about how Ford was gonna ditch AM radio in their cars and a lot of people, a lot of people are talking about that, and Stu chimed in. By the way, Ford had a change of heart and they ended up putting the AM back in it. But Stu said, AM radio died along with civilized talk radio. NPR was on FM podcast. Put a stake in it. No loss, Oh, Stu, as someone who's new to AM radio on the radio, you really stabbed me where it hurts.
Speaker 2: Thanks, all right, Parker up next, what's your next one?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 4: So our next one is Ron And he said, Hey, Rich, this is Ron from Arizona.
Speaker 3: I called you.
Speaker 4: I called you show on May thirteenth asking about a mesh why fight system for our thirteen thousand square foot church.
Speaker 3: I went with the EUO Pro six e. Install Installation was super easy. The system works great. Wi Fi is strong throughout the entire building.
Speaker 4: Our only issues so far as getting are printer connected. It worked fine with our old connection. We're having multiple problems with the new system. Oh well, technology, thank you so much for your help.
Speaker 2: I remember this call.
Speaker 1: He was trying to get the Wi Fi in the church and I recommended some systems, so I'm glad so we went with the consumer system, the EURO Pro. He's having trouble with the printer. I think the problem with the printer is that it's probably an older printer that uses the two point four gigahertz network.
Speaker 2: There is a.
Speaker 1: Setting in the EURO settings that if you're having trouble connecting a device, go into the troubleshooting section of the app and it will actually switch your network over to just two point four gigaherts for ten minutes to help you connect some of the those old gadgets that will then work with the network. But I'm glad to hear that everything went well. It's is not always good when you hear some good feedback.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It is always nice like you.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna do some mean feedback from Oliver. Oliver wrote in Good Afternoon, stop in capitals with the what's going on? You sound like a valley girl. It dumbs you down. You're an adult now and you really don't need a catchphrase. And as Colombo says, one more thing, you are trying too hard to be all things to all people. Historically that does not work. Be careful and don't jump the shark too soon.
Speaker 2: Oliver.
Speaker 1: Well, Oliver, you know what, if you've been listening to my podcast, I've been saying what's going on for about five years, so I don't think I'm gonna stop just yet. But I do appreciate the feedback, and you know I'm open to back.
Speaker 3: Is always nice.
Speaker 1: But all right, Park, we're gonna have to say goodbye. Thank you for being on the show today. By the way, one more piece of feedback. We'll end it on a nice note. Ruth said, I'm the one that had the visa card hacked three times in a month.
Speaker 2: I followed your advice.
Speaker 1: I put on Apple Pay and I got an Apple card and so far, so good. And Ruth, thank you so much for listening to the show and following the I said, used tap to pay when you can, stop using your credit card or your debit card whatever she was using.
Speaker 2: I think it was a debit card online.
Speaker 1: Stop putting that card number in use service whenever you can that will mask your card number, whether that's Tap to pay or service like Privacy or even a credit card will protect you a little bit more.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm Richard Simiro.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening to the show that's going to do it for this week. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bi, we'll talk to you real soon.
Speaker 3: Say goodbye bye, Thank you all for listening. Have a nice day. Bye.