Speaker 1: Pushkin, you are in fact a pilot?
Speaker 2: No? Yes, indeed, indeed, is that in.
Speaker 1: Fact a pilot headset that you're wearing.
Speaker 2: It is in fact a pilot hatseet, can you give.
Speaker 1: Me a little like you're the pilot and I'm on the plane, Just give me a little bit of that?
Speaker 2: Uh? What am I doing? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, get ready for takeoff? Are about to go to sustainable future? How about that? Very good?
Speaker 1: I'm Jacob Goldstein and this is What's Your Problem? The show where I talk to people who are trying to make technological progress. My guest today is Val Misikov. He's the founder and CEO of zero Opia. His problem is this, how can we have commercial air travel that doesn't make climate change worse? As you'll hear, this is a very hard, very high stakes problem. Zero Avia is trying to solve it by using hydrogen fuel cells to power planes. The company has about three hundred employees, and earlier this year they had a successful test flight of a small hydrogen fueled plane they hope will be in commercial use by twenty twenty five. So how did you like? What was how did you get to starting this company?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So the short version is, you know, my previous company that I co found, it grew and sold, you know, and now is actually a basis off a one of the largest e mobility platforms in Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be clear, that company was basically doing charging, doing charging for electric vehicles.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, right, So since twenty ten or so, I was in sustainable transportation space as an entrepreneur. When I sold that company and as you correctly noted, a pilot myself for the last twenty years or so. So when I sold that company, started thinking about what's next. Sustainable transfer was already in the car, so to speak, and an aviation at to that and then sustainable aviation, so that was relatively natural.
Speaker 1: I mean, sustainable aviation is really hard, right, Like I feel like, you know, there's the very big picture, the sort of the energy transition, decarbonization, and like electricity generation, we're doing great. We can get electricity without burning fossil fuels. We've got some transmission and some storage issues that are hard, but basically we can we can get electricity without burning fossil fuels. Cars We're doing really well. Ev is great, We've we've got that one. Planes seem really hard.
Speaker 2: Planes seem harder, exactly right, And that's why I started it, right, because somebody's got to do it. Yeah, it's a huge problem. It's actually on track to become the largest problem we have in terms of sustainability.
Speaker 1: Because we're solving the other ones and we haven't really cracked planes exactly right.
Speaker 2: And this is actually planes or aviation. Commercial aviation is one of the fastest growing transportation modes worldwide. There's either ten or fifteen percent I don't remember the exact naml right, only ten or fifteen percent of people have flown on aircraft, right. And obviously, as you know, people get a little bit richer and the standards of living go up. People jump on a plane and they want to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: So you have the sort of rising middle class. Say in a lot of Asia, you have billions of people who've never been on a plane who in the next ten twenty years they or their kids are going to start flying the way we fly in the.
Speaker 2: West, exactly right, exactly right. And while in the West we're sort of you know, some Scandinavian country started as the flight shaming movement right from Sweden and all that we're thinking, oh, well, maybe we should fly less and all that. That is a developed nation centric view. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, we're not going to shame people into not flying. I'm very comfortable with that. We can stipulate that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So we have to figure out how to fly planes without generating fossil fuels and other bad emission.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and the problem there is a not just carbon, right, which is important. So from carbon accounting perspective, aviation is about three percent today off all human emissions, but the actual impact on climate is at least triple that, right, because of the high altitude emissions off combustion artifacts. Right, So that's the particular emissions, high temperature, water vapor, all that stuff emitted up in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: All the other stuff besides carbon. Carbon dioxide is particularly bad for climate change if it happens at whatever, thirty thousand feet above.
Speaker 2: The good right. Right. So, as a result, already aviation is anywhere between seven and ten percent of total human climate impact.
Speaker 1: Presumably, as you sort of turn to it, you think through the different possibilities. How can we solve this? So how do you sort of think through the different possible solutions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you're very right. So, really in order to fully solve the problem and reduce the impact profile affreviation, you have to get away from combustion.
Speaker 1: And there are a few different options there. Right, once you get to the long term even that is, people are trying different things. So if we're going to stop burning things, we're going to make electric planes, that basically leave us with the choice of batteries or hydrogen fuel cells.
Speaker 2: Is that we or fuel cells off some kinds, right, So there are multiple types of fuel cells. There are you know, fuel cells that work on methanol for example, and things like that.
Speaker 1: Before we get to fuel cells, I mean, we've got electric cars. They seem cool, they work with batteries. Why not do that for a plane?
Speaker 2: Very good question, and we actually did this analysis relatively early on. We say, okay, well, look at let's look at all the transportation modes starting from personal car all the way to commercial aircraft. Right and along the way you have taxis, you have like small trucks that deliver postal services, and they have big trucks, and you have airplanes and they have you know, large commercial planes. You take personal car that's about two to three percent off its total weight of the vehicle is gasoline or diesel fuel. Yeah, and then you move to the other side of the spectrum, which is commercial aircraft, you have up to forty percent off to take off weight is fuel. So that's twenty x difference on the energy intensity, right, And that gives you a perspective off like, hey, how much energy do I need to store on board my vehicle in order to enable commercial operation or viable operation?
Speaker 1: And just to be clear, the answer to that question for a passenger car is not that much energy, that's right, And the answer for a jet is an incredible amount of energy. The jet is like by weight almost half energy storage.
Speaker 2: Right, gets to that point, okay.
Speaker 1: And just to be clear, batteries even relative to regular fuel, like, a key problem with batteries is they are not very energy dense. You need a lot of battery to get a little bit of energy. Big problem for batteries in general.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So when you have you know, for small car, your fuel is two percent off the weight of the car, then you say, well, even if my battery is twenty times heavier or twenty times lower energy density, it's okay. You know, I can have a battery that's now forty percent off the car weight, which is what you have in you know, early teslas. Right, But it's still fine, huh, Right.
Speaker 1: You can still make a functional car that's half.
Speaker 2: Battery, Yeah you can. You can make a viable vehicle. But when you start with a forty percent nothing you can do.
Speaker 1: You can't make a plane that's two hundred percent battery.
Speaker 2: And it's actually interesting point there because you know, it's like you get into into this problem of what I call a rocket equation, right, which is like in a rocket, for example, in space rocket, most of the fuel is used to carry fuel right through the through the beginning of your ascent right.
Speaker 1: Right, because the rocket is almost entirely fuel, right, And so when it's blasting off, it's expending a tremendous amount of energy to carry the fuel that it's going to need in ten seconds to get it a little bit higher and so on.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, exactly, you got it. So with battery airplane you get into the same kind of circular dependency.
Speaker 1: So, okay, so you land on a fuel cell, let's just do like a really basic like what is a fuel cell?
Speaker 2: All right? So fuel cell is an electro chemical device that takes fuel and oxygen and converse it into electricity through a catalyst based reaction. Right, So there is no high temperature combustion involved and you have direct electricity production, and that's what makes that thing very efficient.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about end to end, the dream of how it's going to work. Afterwards, we can talk about sort of where you are now and what you still have to figure out. But like when you sort of close your eyes and imagine the world in ten years or whatever, how's it going to work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we are going to have hydrogen production on site at the airports. Okay, it's a green hydrogen production through electrolysis, local renewable power.
Speaker 1: So the airports will have little hydrogen factories. Basically, what's that going to look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's actually quite sizeable hydrogen factory.
Speaker 1: They're not little. They're gonna have hydrogen factories, big hydrogen factory. It's great. So what's that gonna look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we're going to have so let's say right now, every large airport, a medium airport as well, they have what's called fuel farm. Okay, so that's a separate area dedicated to receiving, storing, processing, dispensing fuel. Now we're going to have part of that fuel farm will be dedicated to hydrogen production through electrolysism.
Speaker 1: And that electrolysis, what's happening there? What is that step one?
Speaker 2: So it's again you know a system right here. You take water in electricity, produce hydrogen and oxygen.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you're getting the electricity from a from a solar panel or a turbine, not from burning natural gas. So sure you've got your electricity coming from the solar farm. You're using that electricity to create hydrogen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a hydrogen at the airport, so it's piped over to the airside and then it fills the aircraft with hydrogen electric engines. Then it's used to produce electricity on board and you operate all this aircraft less noise, no emissions. And that's where the messaging has parallels with the automotive, right when Tesla came in and said, well, actually, you know, electric car is a better car because it's so much more efficient, better torque, better acceleration, all those things. So similar here, the electric propulsion is much more efficient than any combustion propulsion you can have, even for the largest engines that we have that are running on seven eighty sevens and beyond. They are less efficient than even small fuel cell electric engines that we fly in twenty seat planes.
Speaker 1: So there was a crash of one of your test flights last year, right, tell me briefly what happened there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So mostly I would say the root cause was a loss of power on the engine, right, so you know, duh, naturally, otherwise we wouldn't have landed in the field.
Speaker 1: But the real cost is bad, right, You don't want to have lots of power in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know, you test experimental engine, so you know, and you test it through sort of expansion of the envelope. So in this case, uh, you know, there were some human factors that resulted in wrong points in the pattern for the power to be switched off, wrong altitude to be flown, and now those things kind of compounded together, and then there are some other things. But mostly I would say human factors.
Speaker 1: And nobody was hurt, right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: So, and the the entire system, you know, the hydrogen storage, the fuel system, the hyders and fuel cell and all that, we're safe throughout the whole sequence. There was no leakage, there's no anything.
Speaker 1: I know, you know, you kept working on everything after that, And I understand you had a test flight earlier this year that was something of a milestone.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that was our third prototype. We've flown smaller planes before with our systems. This is our latest design.
Speaker 1: And how big is it? What was the plane that flew this year?
Speaker 2: It's a twenty seat aircraft?
Speaker 1: And is that do you hope to have a twenty seat plane in commercial use in the foreseeable future?
Speaker 2: So that's type of a plane. That size of a plane ten to twenty seat is our first launch target in two years twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: And so does two years mean you mostly have it figured out and you just have to get regulatory approval? I mean just I'm sure it's not just, but like, do you basically know how to build that plane now? Are you confident that it works?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty much, pretty much. We were finalizing the design of the engine to submit certification in the next six months.
Speaker 1: Do you do you have to fly it for thousands of hours or something? I mean, I imagine those regulatory requirements are quite stringent. A whole new kind of propulsion.
Speaker 2: We have to operate the engines for thousands of hours, we don't necessarily have to fly again. And that's part of our approach is that we work with existing aircraft types. Yeah, so our initial business model go to market is retrofitting the existing fleets. So we go to the operators and we say, hey, you got a fleet of hundreds of these aircraft, we can repower them with a better engine. Because while aircraft themselves last for thirty forty years in commercial service, especially in the small aircraft space, they go through multiple sets of engines over that light time. Huh.
Speaker 1: So it's like, hey, you're going to need a new engine for this plane anyways, let me sell you one of these fuels, right yeah, And is it right you have some number of orders.
Speaker 2: For correct those is that right? Yeah? Yeah, about fifteen hundred engines on pre order right now, so, oney, five hundred or so, and I think four out of top ten airlines worldwide are customers already with those pre orders, about ten billion dollars worth of you know, pre order revenue, future revenue.
Speaker 1: So what has to happen for you to actually sell those engines, to get those engines to those airlines?
Speaker 2: Oh, we have to get them certified, and we have to deliver on the performance targets that we have committed to with these airlines, right, which means that we have to develop certain amount of power so that that aircraft can take off in a certain distance and climb at a certain rates and all that. Then we know we can do it.
Speaker 1: You also need to get the infrastructure in place at airports, right Like that seems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the infrastructure is actually everybody gets hung up on that.
Speaker 3: But we think that I'm interested, yeah, yeah, no, but everybody everybody is, okay, So, but we think that infrastructure is a really the easier part of the equation here Right in the.
Speaker 2: US, the total number of all commercial airports is just four hundred four hundred locations, and one hundred of those airports account for ninety five percent of the traffic.
Speaker 1: Right, The answer is, you don't need that many.
Speaker 2: But we you know, we were not attempting to build all the infrastructure as well. Right. We have partners like shel for example, is a major investor in zero Audia, and they are looking to bring hydrogen infrastructure to these airports as well. But we work with them in the back end. We aggregate that supply into our business model, and when we go to the airlines, we are the one stop contract.
Speaker 1: In a minute. What validis colleagues still have to figure out to get their first hydrogen fuel cell on a commercial plane. That's the end of the ads. Now we're going back to the show. You mentioned that the engines have to meet certain performance specifications. Are you there yet on those?
Speaker 2: Yeah? On the performance, we're we're almost there. We get the we get the actual power, we get the efficiency. What we're working on now is mostly around weight reduction for the engine. The engine is going to be about twice as heavy as the turbine engine that it replaces, so you take some trade off on the range of the aircraft, but not nearly as much as you would have to do with batteries.
Speaker 1: So these planes won't be able to fly as far as a jet fuel powered plane. So you're hoping to launch in small planes in a couple of years, and I know you want to eventually get to big planes, to the big commercial jets that you fly across the country in, or fly across the Atlantic in, or whatever. What is hard about about scaling in that way? What's hard about going from where you almost are now to where you want to be in ten years.
Speaker 2: Two things, two main things from the technology standpoint. One is we need to move from a sort of typical low temperature fuel cells that are used in the cars or types that they're using cars, to higher temperature fuel cells that are optimized for aviation.
Speaker 1: And so why do you need to develop essentially a new kind of fuel cell to fly bigger planes?
Speaker 2: Right? Because the more bigger planes require disproportionately more power too, right, So they're generally faster. Right, So all those jets they fly much faster, which means the power levels are significantly higher.
Speaker 1: So a plane that's twice as big requires way more than twice.
Speaker 2: As long, more than twice as much power.
Speaker 1: But that's hard, that's hard. You can't just build a bigger fuel cellar.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the reason that's hard with the current type of a few cells, at least currently using automotive is because when you scale power, you also scale the heat production because no, no system is one hundred percent efficient, so you have the heat that you need to remove from the system. And that, yeah, that's right inefficiency. And now for low temperature fuel cells, that heat is thrown off at low temperature and it's difficult to remove it because, for example, a good hot environment example is Phoenix, Arizona, in the middle of a summer, it's fifty degrees celsius on our runway, sometimes even more so. Your fuel cell typical fuel cell in a car operates at about sixty sixty five celsius internal temperature. So you now have sixty five versus fifty. That's not much delta that you can use to cool it, right, because if you're if your ambient temperature is the same as your core temper you cannot cool it right. And so what do you need to do is you need to either you know, have humongous heat exchangers or radiators, right, which is prohibitive because then if they weigh a lot, they introduced drag and all that. Or you can increase the temperature off the fuel cell, right and just even small, relatively small increases of temperature give you very significant benefits. So our inniuce technology is operating instead of sixty five seventies degrees cells is it operates at one eighty to two hundred C. But it's if you if you take again an example of Phoenix, right.
Speaker 1: Basically it can be air cooled the hotter, it runs.
Speaker 2: Just cooled. Right.
Speaker 1: That's that's like a fundamental kind of engineering problem that you have to solve is making a hotter fuel cell.
Speaker 2: That's right. So that's one. The second one is for large aircraft, you need to go from gaseous fuel storage to cryogenic liquid storage of hydrog on board because other you cannot store enough. Basically, So those compressed gas cylinders, while they're super simple, super safe, all those tanks, right, they're heavy because they need to contain that huge pressure. So you know, best in class right now is only eight percent of your fuel tank system is fuel. Ninety two percent is tank.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh wow, so that's the tanks you're putting on the twenty seat plane. It's mostly tank.
Speaker 2: It's mostly tank.
Speaker 1: It's brutal, right, that's brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now what helps is, of course, hydrogen itself is three times better energy density than jet fuel, and then with fuel cell you use it twice as efficient, so you're sort of six times better than jet fuel.
Speaker 1: But I'm still bummed that your tank full of hydrogen is ninety percent tank and ten percent hydrogen, right, That makes me sad, that's right.
Speaker 2: That's right. So in order to move from that, you have to go cry agenic liquid, which is low low pressure storage, so you don't need those you know, hue.
Speaker 1: But it has to be super cold. Is probably has to be super cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to you have to be super cold. But there, you know, people know how to store those things, right. AT's the vacuum insulated yours? Right, Yeah, like a thermos. Yeah, yeah, exactly right, a thermos, Yeah, carbon composite thermos. So then most off your tank is actually fuel right by weight, and that's that That changes the dynamics quite a bit, and that that's how you you're going to make airplanes go potentially even further than today's kerosene planes, right if anybody can handle more than twenty hours on the plane.
Speaker 1: So you need much much colder fuel and much hotter fuel cells.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, that's right, which is actually a very very interesting point because you can then use you know, to marry that cold. Yeah, you can cool the hotter fuel cells with colder fuel and get additional efficiency.
Speaker 1: Tell me the ways in which shifting from gaseous hydrogen to very cold liquid hydrogen is hard? Sounds hard? Is it hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is? It is hard. The reason it's hard is because there is virtually no history of vehicle use of liquid hydrogen, right for propulsion, Right, So.
Speaker 1: I mean hydrogen is Look, I've gone this whole time without saying Hindenberg, I was trying not to say it, but hydrogen is very reactive. It blows up, right, I mean, is that a concern when you're talking about this new kind of fuel, or.
Speaker 2: Well, with any fuel, you have this concern, right, Garrison blows up, gasoline blows up, all any anytime you have significant amount of energy stored, you're gonna you know, you're gonna have issues, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So does that become a challenge when you're trying to store hydrogen in this way that it hasn't been stored in vehicles before in this shift?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, So you have to you have to basically design the the the safety system around it that manages it correctly as possible. Liquid hydrogen is used in the industry a lot, right, So the industry knows is stationary applications, you know, pharmaceuticals, and so people know how to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just that now we need to make it lightweight, We need to certify through the aviation certification standards. Right, So that's that's significant challenge.
Speaker 1: What you're doing is hard. Clearly, if it doesn't work, I hope it works obviously for you and for everybody. But if it doesn't work, like, what do you think is the most likely reason it wouldn't work?
Speaker 2: Frankly, I don't. I don't see the reason there. I don't see the reason.
Speaker 1: That's the classic entrepreneur angle. Right, it will work.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm a I'm a physicist as well. Back around and we have you know, a good number of scientists on the team, and.
Speaker 1: Y, I mean there are things like execution risk, right, there's there's the like first principles of things that should work don't work in the world because of idiosyncratic reasons.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right, So there is always that, but from the sort of physics and science perspective, there are no there are no real barriers and and and the thing is, you know, we like society, we have to make it work. It is becoming larger and larger part of the problem. So it will happen, which means that it's a huge opportunity to be taken. And that's uh, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: In a minute, the lightning Round, including the metaphysical lessons of a physics PhD and cold plunges. Now let's get back to the show. I just want to do a few sort of lightning round semi random questions to finish. You have a PhD in physics from Princeton, and I'm curious what studying physics taught you about the fabric of reality.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, that the the best approach to things is a really first principle approach to not get clouded and how how things were done, but look at the look at the core. On a more metaphysical sort of side of your question, I think any scientist that is sort of real scientists will tell you that it's pretty clear that we don't know most of what there is to know, right. So sometimes it might be you might have had a temptation to say that, hey, we're we're in this you know, advanced state of society or human knowledge, that we know most of the things know. In fact, you know, we don't know most and probably we don't know even one percent of what there is to know. And it helps to be have a little humility. Why cold plunges, Yeah, so, uh, let's see. Actually the real the real answer is probably uh, testing the theory that human body is capable of anything pretty much.
Speaker 1: Well, we know it's not capable of anything.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, or rather much more than you expect.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about your cold plunge game.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a little di y thing. Okay, it's a it's actually a fish dank cooler and it against it gets what are too nice three degrees you know, Celsius.
Speaker 1: It's just barely about freezing, very cold.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's wrong, very long in that water, five to ten minutes.
Speaker 1: That's much longer than I would have expected. What was the worst moment you had in an iron Man triathlon?
Speaker 2: Mh well, uh, I decided in the in the second half of the run, I, in my infinite wisdom, I had a water mix with some fuel mix. So I I'm like, hey, I'm not going to carry it. I'm gonna be efficient. I'm not going to carry my water with me. I'm going to drink it all right now, right as over a leader of water. And and that caught up to me, you know, through the through the run. So that was not pretty.
Speaker 1: That was the best moment in an iron man the bike.
Speaker 2: I love the bikes. I don't. I don't actually have a car. My wife has a car, but sometimes I borrow it so I bike everywhere. So that's my favorite part of the UH of any Triathlonkov.
Speaker 1: Is the founder and CEO of Zero. Today's show was produced by Edith Russelo. It was edited by Sarah Nix and Rob Smith, and engineered by Amanda k Wong. I'm Jacob Goldstein. You can find me on Twitter at Jacob Goldstein, or you can email us at problem at Pushkin dot fm. We'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Problem