Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories done done, Hey bitches, It's That's Messed Up an SVU podcast. My name is Lisa Traeger and my name is Kara Klank.
Speaker 1: And every week we dive into an episode of Law and Order SVU, we get out of the pool, we dive back into the true crime. Then we interview an artist, an actor, someone involved with the episode. And before all that, we just chat and check in on each other's lives. Lisa, you always have fun shit going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we don't text NonStop it Yeah, all times, we have to check up through zoom. Well, I do have some spooky season news. I feel like I might have watched this as a kid. I don't know, but I watched Alvira with my friend in Chicago, and it was such an enjoyable experience and so ahead of her time. She is getting sexually assaulted throughout the whole movie and beating the shit out of men, and like being mad that people are grabbing her, being sassy to assholes and like have The first five minutes is her leaving her job because the new manager like assaults I don't think I've seen it and touches her tits.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've seen like so much Alvira, but I don't know if I've seen like a full No, we just.
Speaker 2: Watch We just watched drag Race. We just know, how's your head? A kid, I knew who Elvira was when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: It was like I've seen like bits, but I don't think i'd ever seen like the full movie. But yeah, she's ann and she just came out after like two decades or something.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's really timely. But she was ahead of her time in the subject matter, the humor and everything. And I was with my friend Marty and him and his girl Sarah. They love you like they are the king and queens of YouTube clips, like we watch old commercials like they always have a new genre of YouTube. Should have showed me. And so right after we watched it, they were like, let's watch Roger and Ebert talk about it. And then we watched Roger and Ebert talk about Elvira.
Speaker 1: That is one of my favorite things to do, and that's something I didn't really start doing until LA. Like I don't know why I didn't do this with people in New York. Maybe it was just like when people started getting smart TVs where like their TVs were hooked up to YouTube.
Speaker 2: Was more like around when I was in and out of.
Speaker 1: LA, but like going to people's houses and just being like, oh no, this is my favorite video and like just show it. Like watching a bunch of like funny YouTube clips is like really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're like professionals, So anything I suggest, they're like, oh yeah, they we've seen that. Oh okay, And I'm like, okay, cool, Like I am never the ones suggesting everything I suggest. They're like, that's from nine years ago. Oh, I mean it's it's when I messaged you go you and my all like this teen singing paparazzi at a show and I sent it to Dave Mazzonia Matt Rogers and they were like this came out fourteen years ago. Like they're like, you truly are a girl who gets it, Like you're so late to the game, but you're trying to be an ally and I'm like, I'm bawling at this guy. He's probably has a full finance job, like he's probably married with a child by now, and I'm like, this kid's got it. I'm late, I'm late.
Speaker 1: I'm the same. I'll be like, have you seen the kid? I'll be like, have you seen the man Tito lip sync?
Speaker 2: The news?
Speaker 1: Like guys or like I just watched Like yeah, i will watch the shit that's so old, and I'll watch the same ones over and over.
Speaker 2: That really cracked me up. But I'm like, have you seen Charlie bit my finger?
Speaker 1: And they're like, yeah, have you seen that kid that's at the State Fair going?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Apparently apparently YouTube? So that was my spooky season thing. And I am doing a show at Union Hall in New York City on Halloween.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, this episode comes out a few days before Halloween. So if you haven't gotten tickets, We've posted about in our stories, but go to Lisa's page Glitter Cheese on Instagram and get all the scoop on that New York show because that's going to be dope. And Union Hall is such a fun venue and not huge, so tickets will go and it will sell out, So got them quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's the start of the night, so then you can party all night. I just knew if I didn't have structured fun, I wouldn't wear a costume. And I knew I wanted to be fun like I need.
Speaker 1: Are you are you announcing in advance what your costume is because I know what it is? Or are you waiting for people to see it?
Speaker 2: I have to wait? I have to ready. Yeah, but I think I'm going to be a hit. I think New York City is going to come out for me. I think they're going to be excited for what I am offering. Well, it's gonna be in West Nayak the weekend before. Listen, I'm on the road and I, oh, it's eleven eleven. Make a wish. Oh, you guys don't know. You can be listening to this at all times. But it just hit eleven eleven, which means we're doing everything right in our lives. We're on the right path, and we're exactly where we need to be. So that's a pretty exciting reassurance from the universe. Except my ear piercing is infected. That's just like, but you're wearing real gold. I don't get it. And I've seen you at Moontower. You were really doubts in that thing with the end septic or whatever. Really. Oh, also it's funny and speaking of muntar, I sent Margaret Show a message because I'm desperate for her love, and Kara messaged me going, Margaret Show messaged us. I go, no, I messaged her, but she did respond.
Speaker 1: She did thought she sent us a message, but I didn't realize that. Lee's never mind, you guys get it. But like she did respond, so I, you.
Speaker 2: Know, no, I think the reason is and I read about the ears. So with tattoos, like you have to be careful, but after a few days, like it's fine, you know, it's it'll be fine. But piercings, I didn't really They're an open wound, yeah, and you have to treat it like a wound. So I accidentally, I think in Chicago while partying, maybe didn't wash it for a day or two, or like I slept on my dirty she you know, I touched it. Well. My sister told me to twist it, and then everything I read was like do not twist your earring.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, that's like maybe that might be like an old wives tale, yeah thing and.
Speaker 2: It's like your dirty hands and in the cut, so I think it was just like a two day Like I was just like kind of shady for two days and that was enough to get infected. And I was like, oh, yes, piercings are wounds. Tattoos are also wounds, but they're just more relaxing to take care of. I think for sure this is two months.
Speaker 1: It's gonna hurt, oh girl, as I told you when I was a kid, and yes, I was a kid, so I'm sure it was like dirty and I'm sure my mom.
Speaker 2: Did not get me like pure gold jewelry.
Speaker 1: But like I went through like two years of in and out of having my ears infected, but now they're perfect, Like I can not wear earrings, wear earrings like, well, I can wear cheap earrings, I can wear anything. Like my ears are like I'm just indestructible now. But it did take like some time to toughen them up.
Speaker 2: And it's just embarrassing to go through this much pain because I want to be like Emma Chamberlain. The only reason I want second second Pierce Tolls is because of a twenty year old YouTuber and that and now I'm like infected and in pain and can't sleep, like it is pretty Upsey. I gotta do what you gotta do. You're you're an influencer on the rise. I'm trying, so I do want to give a shout out. So I got to stay at the Drake Hotel in Chicago, which was my childhood dream. And did I talk about this on the last time. You didn't. You just told me personally, Okay, we'll cut that or not. You guys seem to like us. I met some nice people at the Chicago show that I did. It was really exciting. My old nanny boss was there. But I got to say at the Drake Hotel, which was my childhood dream. I've wanted to stay there since I was a kid. Like when you drive down Lake Show Drive, there's like a ga zbo to the left I've always wanted to get married in. And then to the right was this beautiful hotel. So I got to stay in it. I got to go to the bar. I had a Manhattan like I was just living my It seemed like Trey McDougal from Sex and the City would hang out there. It's old money, letter dark yeah, yeah, yeah, yea yeah, Titanic vibes. You know, it's not hip, you know, they're known for tea time. But I met a former NFL player who is an announcer on the Big Ten network. He has a championship with Ohio State. He's told me his wife loves SVU. I hope she's now listening. But Joshua Perry and so because I saw his Louis Vuitton wallet and he's like, oh yeah, I stay here for work for fifteen weeks in the fall. And I go, sir, you're clearly in football. I'm not a fool. I'm not a fool.
Speaker 1: I would never I would have been like, oh cool, your company sends you to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Nido, what do you do? No, Immediately I'm like brand name. I was embarrassed to put my fanny pack on the bar because of his Louis wallet. But fifteen weeks in the fall is just so specific. So I got to like hang out with this cool football player and I was like, this is this is what dreams are made out of. And at the Drake they have couches in the elevator. You could take a seat if you want.
Speaker 1: Ooh wow, I've never seen a couch in an elevator.
Speaker 2: That's excited. Yeah, just see. And I found an Instagram called eating in Bed and my new goal in life is to be featured on it.
Speaker 1: Oh, anyone got the tip for Lisa to get on eating in bed? I am actually the opposite, as so much of our personality is are opposite.
Speaker 2: I never eat in bed, and it makes me nervous to do it. Yeah. No, Sometimes I'm sleeping and I feel crumbs all around me. It is part of no.
Speaker 1: I listened to this podcast with Casey Wilson and she constantly she has like full meals in bed, and she talks about it all the time, and it's just like that. It gives me anxiety even to hear her talk about it. I'm like, oh my god, you're eating like a huge, like a huge takeout meal in a hotel. I have done it because I don't care as much. But in my own personal bed, no, Well, I also don't have a table, so it's tough.
Speaker 2: It makes it difficult.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: The trick in hotels is if you have two beds, once for eating sleeping. Yeah. Yeah, Wait, are you telling people for Halloween or are you keeping it secret too? Yours is a good costume, you know what.
Speaker 1: I actually saw Georgia on the weekend and was like we were going to tell each other our costumes and then we're like, let's just wait and like find out. So I'm not going to say because I don't want anyone. I don't know, not that I even know if Georgia listens to our podcast. But I was just like, I'm keeping it secret. So I'll tell you guys. You'll see, We'll put our costumes on our Instagram, right, We'll like take pictures and show on our Instagram like what we were for Halloween.
Speaker 2: So oh oh yes, I will be and mine is so obvious. I won't even have to do a side by side of the real thing, like you'll see and you'll be like, wow, yeah. It also might be a popular one this year too. I don't. I don't really who knows, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think yours is really fun and yours is a very I think both of us are doing, if you know, you know, kind of costumes. Your description of the Drake kind of reminded me of the Campbell Apartment. Have you ever been there in New York? Never even heard of it. It's this really like beautiful bar right off of it's attached to Grand Sound, and it's what you're describing like dark leather, old money, Like the drinks.
Speaker 2: Are like twenty dollars, you know, like it's but it's uh.
Speaker 1: Next time you're in New York, if you want that kind of experience, you should go well.
Speaker 2: And you know, some people commented like, oh, but that's like a powerful move, and then some people. I don't know, but it was fun to be sitting in the tea room in a sweatshirt while like high as hell, while everyone is in tuxedos gowns, really dressed up for the affair, and I was just like postmating dunkin Donuts to the Titanic. I just heading down in my brawsers sweatpants and so I liked that. And then I stole the door sign, of course, so I have my drink door.
Speaker 1: I always have to create a memory for myself. You're very vivian at the plaza or whatever. No, No, where is she theis?
Speaker 2: No? No, I'm talking to woman woman okay, eloise hit the plase. No, No, what she's saying. I'm pretty woman like the Beverly Hilton or something like that. But I don't remember. But she was more slutty, I mean, if I could, Yeah, she's more slutty, but.
Speaker 1: She was definitely kind of like, I don't care, you know that vibe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have nothing to prove here. It feels nice. It feels nice to be so chill. Also, last night I ran into someone that's obsessed with forensic files and we got to talk back and forth about our favorite forensic files and everyone around us was disgusted and why. And I met someone else that collects Simpson's toys. I had a really what a weekend, a real wild weekend. And I don't know if I told you this. I ran into Asafali. Do you know him? Yeah, you guys know his face. He's like in every single TV show and movie right now. He's crushing the game. And so we were talking at a show and I guess we talked for like forty forty five minutes. And the photographer in another comic, we're standing near us, and the photographer went, I've been trying to wait for a pause in the conversation to take a photo, and you guys didn't pause. That's the longest uninterrupted conversation I've ever seen in my life. And the other comic was like, you guys didn't take a drink, not a breath, not a moment, He goes, I've never seen anything like it, And I guess me and Auso just talked so much that they felt uncomfortable to interrupt us.
Speaker 1: And I was like, wow, that's there's there's a reason you have a born to chat bitcoin tattoo on your body.
Speaker 2: I mean, you are you are born to chat. That's who I watched Alvira with as who I have the matching tattool right right right. But I just was like laughing so hard that they kept they just like we just couldn't stop talking. Oh wait, do you love that Joe Cooy and Chelsea Handler are in love? Because I do. Yeah, it's cute.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to me, because I was obsessed with Chelsea Handler, Like I was obsessed with the show Chelsea. I like I watched it like truly every night, and like he was always on, and like I never even saw a spark between them, do you know what I mean? Like I never saw any kind of thing like that. And so when she heard really announced it, I was like, is this a gag? And then I was like, oh my god, they're so happy, and like she seems so excited.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for her, yeah, and she commented like age is a wonderful thing or something like that. Yeah, Like, I don't know, I like love their love and I'm ready for this journey.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, I feel like where people grow up and then they realize that their old friend is kind of like the one you know, I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're both like successful and funny and attractive. And then Ausuf brought this up, but he's like, and they're age appropriate. That never happens in Hollywood. You have Dane Cook fucking stroll in high school. So it's it's exciting to I don't know. I'm like I they can never post enough. I want more and more.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're probably going to have a really fun like Instagram life and then the breakup could be explosive.
Speaker 2: But let's hope they know. I'm gonna see wedding picks. I'm on that train. I love true love.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, No, I'm definitely I'm happy for her, Like you know, I.
Speaker 2: Have a new crush and I'm trying to not repeat patterns and project everything onto this person and be casual at this. Yes you do, oh yes, I do, Yes, I do yes. I do. Sorry, Sorry so annoying I do. Oh my god, Sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Just thought for a second it was a different thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, I know about it, of course, and I'm trying to stake Oh my god, we have to move on. But we have to talk about the news too, before we get into this horrific episode. Actually I hit well because it's just whatever. I'm making connections to sex and the city that don't even make sense. But there was news. I didn't go too much into it because things like this upset me, and most of Kara and my lives are researching horrific things, so sometimes I try to like protect my energy. But there was a rape on a Pennsylvania train and people just watched and did nothing and videotaped it. Yeah, I'm the same of you.
Speaker 1: This popped up on my red This popped up on Reddit for me, and I couldn't. I couldn't watch the video and I couldn't I couldn't like get like too too deep into it because it's truly a nightmare of mine because of an SVU, Like everybody, I'm not sure that I'm not sure the titled the episode, but the episode with Nicole Sullivan from Mad TV where she's like this boss bitch that gets onto the train first thing with her coffee, and then like really quickly, this man gets on the train like rapes her on, like the C train, which was the train I took every day in New York.
Speaker 2: And all these people just watch.
Speaker 1: And are like ugh, and it's like very you know, I'm sure everybody wants to bring in like Kitty Genevez and like the bystander effect and everything, but that scene haunted me. And then that's exactly what just happened. And it's like I understand everybody thinks they're helping by getting shit on video, but like if there's a way that you can help without endangering yourself.
Speaker 2: Or you know, you're stopping a rape, like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really so horrific, Like I can't even.
Speaker 2: And it's a group of you, like you could have done it. I mean, I never mind my business, but you never know what you're how you're gonna act in the moment. You know, you think you're preps for stuff, and then you know, it's what we talk about. You can't act normal and abnormal circumstances. But I just can't imagine sitting watching someone get raped. There's no fucking way. And I actually know that because I have intervened in multiple things throughout my life. Content.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean hopefully they caught they got the guy, right. I mean I didn't even look into it enough, but I hope they got the guy.
Speaker 2: They got the guy. Hannah knows they got the guy.
Speaker 3: I think the most horrific thing though about the news article is that it lasted over six minutes in the previous forty five minutes before he was harassing her in front of people. Oh so that really people need to step up their case.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Like if you're just sitting there and taping it, I feel like you should be like ashamed of yourself.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like horrific. I bet those people will hope fully live with this guilt and shame for the rest of their lives. I hope it weighs heavy on them forever. Yeah, because it is.
Speaker 1: Go get a conductor, Go get like I don't know, go get somebody a ress.
Speaker 2: The emergence the emergency thing.
Speaker 1: Like there's ways you can do if you feel physically anxious or you that you are like know, compromised in a way that you can't help physically, like there's got you know, there's things you can do, like Jesus.
Speaker 2: But what is it? What is it? Is it? Like I is it the I don't want to be wrong?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: It's not my business? Is it? Maybe she want? Like what is in the minds of the people.
Speaker 1: I think it's a fear usually, I mean I don't know, Like I said, like I feel I just told you guys this story off camera. But like I one time, my sister and I walked him on to a huge crowd watching a homeless guy get beat up, and I got right up to the guy's face, and my sister was halfway down the block, like she's so such a nervous person, like that flight is her response and fight was more my response. And that's just I think that's like maybe just an inherent thing. But when you're on like a train, and like, I don't know, there's I just feel like there's things you can do. If it's not physically getting blocking it yourself.
Speaker 2: There's other things you can do. And you know what, I actually have a positive way to get us into this episode that is not watching someone get raped on a train and it is Alyssa a friend, a comedian, a baker. Our friend, Lindsay Adams got secret married this weekend. Yes, so congrats Lindsay. If you're listening, I know you are.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Lindsay for allowing your marriage to segue us into our episode and off of this horrific news.
Speaker 2: I knew you did it.
Speaker 1: For us and we just if you guys watched the live show, she was one of our comedians that came on and did trivia when we did our virtual live show. And we're so happy for them. I love them so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Lindsay and Nick cool. They've been together for like a decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did like a fun courthouse thing, but they looked really beautiful and it was awesome. But yeah, let's get going. We have a classic p for you today and an amazing interview and yeah, just we have a lot of stuff for you.
Speaker 2: Oh right.
Speaker 1: Chameleon Baby, Season four, Episode one, the premiere.
Speaker 2: Of season four of Long Orders for You. They're really hitting their stride here.
Speaker 1: Not to be confused with a really great podcast that I think I've shouted out on this podcast before called Chameleon that I was really obsessed with the first season I haven't watched the second season, but I mean, listen to it.
Speaker 2: But it's great anyway.
Speaker 1: We open on some kind of like very techno since party happening.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a sex club. You don't really know what it is. Initially everybody is lots of butts are being grabbed. It's safe to say it's a sex club.
Speaker 2: You I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never in New York was like, oh, that's a sex club walking by a place, but I guess some clubs have sexy nights. I don't know, Liza, any.
Speaker 2: Sex clubs, so you are, yeah, but you have to know. It's like if you know, you know, you're not.
Speaker 1: You can't. You're not going to walk by and just see a sex club. I went to clubs where like people were doing coke and stuff. I never was like, oh, hey, we're going to a sex club to night, or like none of my friends were like the other day I went to a sex club, Like, I don't know. We maybe we have separate friends. Yeah, oh, maybe we have separate friends. We definitely do have a lot of separate friends. So I'm asking you to tell me.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are sex clubs in New York have you gone to Canada, I have not known. Oh, okay, but they exist. No, I know, Oh I know, I know, I know. I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: In my experience of New York, I was like I was at clubs that were letting you sneak cigarettes when the laws first changed. I was never in a sex club, but maybe never say never, Okay, so you know, you definitely know it's a sex club because suddenly the NYPD raids the place that doesn't really happen at like Marquis. So there's a few like makeshift fuck stalls in the back, so it is very much a sex club.
Speaker 2: And there's a bar in a DJ of course at this sex club.
Speaker 1: And then one of the sex workers is telling the cops that a guy tried to rape her, and this one cop is being very two thousand and two about it. He's like, if they don't pay you, it's not rape, it's theft of service, like he's very not sensitive to sex work. And she insists that she was attacked and wants to report it. And now Benson and Stable are on the scene and this douchey Wall Street guys walking by them and he goes, I didn't know what kind of club. This was like he's me being like, is this a sex club? And Benson has her very very butch haircut, and it's like your flies down. She says, it's so nonchalant. It's a very fun line because this guy's like, I had no idea, and it's like you just were getting your dick.
Speaker 2: Suffer from ago when having your fly down was the most embarrassing thing that could ever happen, and now it's like, truly, we were with people and I was like, your flies down. Someone zipped it and it meant nothing, Like it wasn't embarrassing and nothing. It means nothing anymore. Yeah, it was like the hugest embarrassment that you could ever live through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would say X, y Z like code words to let people know that their fly was down.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was truly, Yeah, definitely a humiliating moment back in the day.
Speaker 2: Now maybe we've embraced it.
Speaker 1: The name of the sex worker who's making the report says her name is she and Tilly, but it's actually they were like, let's get your real name, babe, and she's like, it's Lisa Perez and she actually played by Sara Ramirez from Grey's Anatomy fame and this is her second appearance on SVU. Actually, I'm sorry, but Shantilly does not roll off the tongue.
Speaker 2: I know. That's not a sexy name or an easy name or a fun name to say at all. You know.
Speaker 1: The only thing I could think of for the angle would be like, if you're trying to get like southern businessmen that are there like being turists, like Shantilly has like a Southern kind of like genteel thing to it that that's my only grasp at a straw for that name. It's not a great sexy name. No, So they're Benson and Stabler aren't really giving Shantilly the time of day either. They're kind of like, okay, what happened, and like Stabler is like very much rolling his eyes while he gets out of tiny notepad to take down her info. And then they get interrupted by these other cops that are like, you gotta come see this, And they go into the bathroom and there's just a dead woman hanging from a belt by the back of the room stall door. So not great, and Shantilli slash Lisa is there. She goes, oh my god, that's Randy. I told you, guys, and then it's the credits, so we're starting to think, Okay, there might be somebody who's out there killing sex workers in a serial manner. The cops are still not being very cool with Shantilly. At the top of the of the next act, she is being very sassy to Munch, Kragan and Finn though I kind of like her, but why wouldn't she be Yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, she's being really funny and like, you guys aren't listening to me. You're not taking me seriously. Like she is ahead of her time for sure. We find out the dead girl's name is Randy aka Goodiva Chocolatey.
Speaker 2: I like a diva, you like, yeah, no, I was just wondering.
Speaker 1: Your your sense of it compared to Shantilly.
Speaker 2: Well, no, Goodiva, rich, smooth, delicious. I understand that, you know, elegant.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's not a for Rochet, that's a Goodiva baby, right right, Okay, So Goodiva has worked in the club a little over a year.
Speaker 2: I kind of love the name Godiva. Now I'm having a moment seeing another future for my life.
Speaker 1: A screen name, something a tattoo could work.
Speaker 2: Something good dive into your life. Well, because I used to tell you if you sign up for the Godiva Club, you can get one free chocolate a month. Oh yeah, I would take a nie, sir, a nephew to them all and I'd be like, get a snack, babe, and I'll get them one chocolate.
Speaker 1: Whoa cool aunt with the chocolates.
Speaker 3: You know, Chantilly is a type of frosting, right, No, someone will call you out on it if you never watched bake Off.
Speaker 2: It's a type of very sweet frosting for a cake. So they kind of go hand.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why I think of Chantilly lace.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We'll cut it. Wait wait, wait, why don't we leave it in?
Speaker 1: We obviously have got two non British Bakeoff people here, and if we can avoid people, if I can avoid seventy five DM saying Shantilli's a frosting, I'd love to. So we find out that good Dive has worked in this club a little over. Ye, she's got two priors for prostitution, and Lisa Slash Chantilly is like sassing the cops. She's like, oh, you guys are taking a break, and then she's like nudging the sketch artist's arms like she's definitely a character. And then Benson like goes to try to talk to her, like you know, a woman to woman, and she takes off her wig, like she's wearing this blonde wig with bangs, which you can tell is a wig. But when she takes it off, her hair underneath looks perfect, Like it's very shocking. I'm like, you just have a full blowout underneath a wig and you've been working all night. I don't think so that shit's gonna be matted down and sweaty.
Speaker 2: But they're the sake of television, very rock Sy Andrews, Yeah, thick and juicy of her way to go.
Speaker 1: Baby, Yeah, it was like a wig and a wig reveal, Yes for sure. And Lisa says, you know what, like nobody watches out for us, we watch out for ourselves. I should have listened to Sister Peg. She warned them about this, like asshole who's out there trying to choke girls out. So now we go to talk to Sister Peg, the patron saint of good people.
Speaker 2: Sister Peg keeps a bad trick list.
Speaker 1: Like John's to avoid and you know, they take a look at it and they're kind of making fun of it, which is like rude, that's like, oh, this guy punches you, this one picks you up here, blah blah blah. And they're like this is it and it's like, yeah, well she's doing more than you're doing so and they're like, well, if you could give us the girl, if you could tell us the girls who have said that I have gotten away from this man who's tried to choke them or whatever and rape them, we can, you know, try to drop a profile or find the guy. And she's like, my policy is no cops, no offense.
Speaker 2: It's like, you can't take offense from.
Speaker 1: Sister Pat and she says she'll show the sketch that they have to the girls, the sketch that Lisa Seles hintil he was working on, which was really funny because I forgot to mention like this the sketch artist was like, can you stop bumping my shoulder like while she was he was doing the sketch and she was just not giving a fuck. A very chaotic energy in the precinct and I liked it in.
Speaker 2: A silky turk boy's dress.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Now they're talking to Warner about Randy's body if she's giving them the rundown like that.
Speaker 2: Randy was kind of had a lot of STI.
Speaker 1: She had heppie hepsi pid. She was twenty three years old, and had she lived, she probably would have been like unable to have kids. Like I don't know, so I guess she's been through a lot. The cause of death is strangulation. She was hung with the belt postmartem, so that's not actually what killed her. And it looks like the person used their forearm to choke her because there's like an impression of a button on her neck so like the guy's sleeve. So they meantime get a call about another victim because obviously these things happen Boo boo boo on the show all the time.
Speaker 2: Same exact sort of scenario.
Speaker 1: When they get to this crime scene, there's a woman, a working girl, hanging from a fence.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Warner finds a perfect thumbprint in lipstick around this girl's face somewhere. So they tracked down a man named Sean Becker, convicted of assault and attempted rape years ago, like in ninety four, so years earlier, and he's been out. Yeah, he got out of jail three weeks ago. Oh my god, he's reoffending. Who could have suggested that? Who could have thought that would have happened? So this guy's X is the one who had him arrested in ninety four, So they think, oh, because these two women have both been blonde and his ex was blonde, that this suggests that he's hurting these women as like a surrogate for his ex who got him sent away. So they bring Sean's mugshot and wanted posters to Sister Peg and they're like, we need to talk to the girls to see if they've seen this guy, but she won't give up the names, and Benson and Sabler like convinced her eventually because they're like, this guy's going to keep killing people. So if he kills fifty girls, are you still going to like stand by? You're like, you know, keeping them silent. So she kind of gives them a breadcrumb. She's like, go to this hotel that they used to or what she says is she goes, some of my girls used to work out of a hotel on thirty seventh and tenth. They don't really anymore, but that was like a hotel that was used to maybe go there and see if they know who this dude is. So they arrive at the Palm Hotel, a very classy name for a very seedy joint, and the manager tells them that was fast, and they're like, what are you talking about? And he's like, I just called you guys, I heard a gun go off in one of my rooms. So he positively Ida's Sean Becker. He's like, that's the guy who's up in the room where.
Speaker 2: The gun went off.
Speaker 1: So when they get there, they open the door and there's a woman sort of like scantily clad, holding a gun and saying I shot him.
Speaker 2: And this is Sharon Lawrence.
Speaker 1: This actress is Sharon Lawrence, who is very well known for NYPD Blue. She's been on Desperate Housewives. I mean her IMDb is extensive. She has very prolific but I always remember her as a big role on NYPD Blue for years and years in the nineties. Anyway, Shawn Becker is next to the bed dead, blood etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah done, I'm for vigilante justice. I don't care. You heard it here first? Yeah, killing right.
Speaker 1: So at the hospital they're talking to this woman and calling her debuta.
Speaker 2: Do you think it would be psychotic or cool. If we went to New York and did a tour of all the motels that all the sex workers have stayed in, and stay at all the at the Palm Hotel, in all these places.
Speaker 1: I would go to a tour. I would not stay in them. Okay, I go to you.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't want to take some clients and do a full on, a full on documentary experience. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they're talking to Debra about what happened, And.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's funny to me because Sharon Lawrence just like has I don't know. I just don't know if I like buy her as this like sex worker. But that might be my own biases or something. But it's just an interesting casting. But she is, she's they're calling her Debor and she basically explained, she's like, I asked him to settle up, and he hit me and he just kept hitting me. He threw me on the bed, he raped me. He pulled out a gun.
Speaker 2: We fall. He dropped the gun. I grabbed it. I shot him three times. We both reached we were Do you know that we both reached for the gun? Oh? Yes, so yes, yes, yes, yes, So that's the booth they both. Yeah, that's what I was trying to get that rhythm. But yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Chicago, the city and the musical.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best movie musical of all time. I have never seen a better movie musical than Chicago. Interesting. I think it's the best one ever made. Yeah, it's very good. I mean I saw it on No.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think because I'm like, no, Rent, the movie really was bad. Hannah, you're a musical person. What are the other musicic movie musicals?
Speaker 2: I would say I liked Hairspray.
Speaker 1: Oh I've never saw Oh I do love Hairspray better it was Oscar Worthy. Yeah, I never saw Hairspray, but that's a good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, very very good.
Speaker 1: But I did see it on Broadway with Babe Newarth, and that's like one of my most treasured memories because she's a legend and nsvu elum.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So basically, this feels like we know it's not over because we know we're watching a television show, but this feels like it's over right, Like Stabler's talking a Cabot and she's like everything checks out for self defense, pretty open and shut. We're not going to press charges against her. She was defending herself. And then we are at ballistics with Munch and Finn and we find out that there's another body on this gun, meaning that another body, another person has been killed with this gun. So that poses a little bit of a problem because this murder happened six months ago and that was when Sean Becker was in Attica, so he could not have killed that person. Doesn't seem that weird to me that a rapist would have gotten out of jail and found a gun on the street, and that it might have another body on it, But everyone's acting like that's a crazy thing. The previous victim was named Leonard Graves. He was a dealer. He had three shots to the head and was robbed and it was ruled a drug related homicide. And so now they're all kind of like wondering if maybe Deborah was more involved, maybe it was her gun. Let's find out about this previous murder. And they're like, go back and talk to Debor. Uh oh, hospital says Debra has fully skipped out after talking to the cops, and the Debor is not her real name.
Speaker 2: All her info was fake, her social was fake, etc.
Speaker 1: Craigan sends Benson and Stabler to the twenty two to investigate what happened with the Leonard Graves murder. The twenty second precinct and Munch and Finn go to try to track down Debra, who they're calling Mystery Hooker, not my words, but kind of a fun name for maybe a movie or something. About a month after Leonard died, his credit card bill had been run up and signed by missus Leonard Graves.
Speaker 2: And the description was only that she was blonde.
Speaker 1: And one of the biggest charges on the credit card was to Fao Schwartz storied toy store in the middle of New York.
Speaker 2: But why did they close? There was also one in Chicago and stuff, and why did they not survive?
Speaker 1: The only reason I can think that they didn't survive is because of where they're located. I mean, like it's located truly, like right near the Apple Store, right near the plaza, Like it just must be a very very expensive location to be selling toys.
Speaker 2: I guess. I don't know. It's crazy though, because I went there and there.
Speaker 1: Oh, I took Rosie there like two Christmases ago when she was a baby, and I got her a little key chain that she has on her diaper bag. I mean, it's like it's a rite of passage to take a kid to Fao Schwartz. I didn't even realize that they'd fully shut until you.
Speaker 2: Said that, well did they. Did you ever have an Fao Sweets?
Speaker 1: No, we had an Fao Sweet attached to the Fao Schwartz and the Old Orchard mall.
Speaker 2: Wow, And it was like just all good candy. Yeah, like you know those bins and scoop bat Yeah, scoopy scoopy candy. That was hard as an immigrant kid to convince your parents because there's also a sweet factory in the mall. But like to them, it's like the eighteen dollars for a pound. It is insane, but it is so fun. I love the school, yeah, to get all different kinds.
Speaker 1: You know what I love getting at places like that are chocolate covered gummy bears.
Speaker 2: I love chocolateming. We've never talked about this, No, I love chocolate covered gummy bears. They're one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: They're very rare to find, Yeah, but they're almost only at scoop places.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't believe we didn't know this because I learned we both like Junior Men's a few months ago. But now this is a whole new level.
Speaker 1: This is I mean, this is what's great is we're still finding things to defind out about each other.
Speaker 2: I also love like the little pastel, rainbow colored little minty yogurt chip looking things with little white sprinkles on it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those I actually always think are going to be gross, and then when I eat them, I think that they're so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I thought you're about to say chocolate covered almonds and I was like, this sucks, and then it took such a turn.
Speaker 1: No, I love a chocolate covered gummy bear so good. Okay, So the Fao Schwartz thing is is like a Okay, that's like a clue for them. And then meanwhile, Munch and Finn track a call that was made from the hospital during Deborah's stay in the hospital to a daycare, and the daycare was like, uh, They're like, oh, we got this. We saw this call that came in and who was that And they're like, oh, that was Maggie. This one has an encyclopedic memory for all calls that come in at her daycare and she's.
Speaker 2: Like, well, from the hospital, you'd remember if someone was in the hospital. Yeah right, I guess, yeah sure. And so even if it was three months ago, if someone was like, did someone from the hospital call you, I'd believe.
Speaker 1: Oh, but I didn't know that the hospital was like, actually divulge like I thought Maggie just made a phone call from the hospital saying, Hi, it's me I'll be late picking up my son, not like it's me calling from the hospital.
Speaker 2: But you're right, maybe she did say that. Uh, were you one of those people that if you went to the hospital, you keep your hospital bracelet on for a long time to show off.
Speaker 1: I never went to the hospital. Oh but who did that? People still do it for adult still. It's a thing they want you to ask what happened?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: I like even you and I just went to a festival and we had to have like we had to wear bracelets the entire time for to show that we were vaccinated, and I wanted to take it off every night, like I don't like to go to sleep with Like.
Speaker 2: I actually did show anything the night after, Like we landed and had a show that night, and there were multiple people still wearing their bracelets with me. That's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just like, so, I'm definitely not a person that would wear my hospital bracelet. Like the only time I've been to the hospital is to have my kids, and I was like, snip, snip, but I did keep them as keepsakes anyway. So the woman at the daycare is like, oh, yeah, Maggie called. She told us she'd been mugged and that she wanted to pick up her son, joey early, and now they're on a little vacation together. She is such a wonderful mother, and like you kind of get the sense that this woman's been duped by Maggie. So now we're finding out that this woman who we thought was Deborah, well she also duped the police. She's duping everyone. Yeah, she yes, she's dupin She'd be duping all over town.
Speaker 2: And she.
Speaker 1: Maggie Peterson is her full name. So Benson went through viscap, which, if you remember, is like the computer system that police departments can use to check likem os so like, oh, this guy always does this after the murder, Like that's how you can sort of link a bunch of different crimes together. So she searched homicides in known areas of sex work where a credit card had been stolen and anything had been stolen, like like anything had been charged like hotel rooms or children's items. And she found a bunch of homicides that popped up. And so when they're they're talking about this lady and they're like, I don't know, stabler's like one self defense I can buy, but six of them. This lady's a serial killer to Captain Craigan, And so now it's like dunt done, Like we got to find this lady. When they're looking at all these different victims, the cause of deaths is like not always the same, like sometimes she's shot, they've been shot, sometimes they've been stabbed, Like there's different different uh m o's there.
Speaker 2: So that's a little bit of a red flag.
Speaker 1: But Wong is also not comfortable labeling her a serial killer just yet. Munch does a whole monologue about how female serial killers don't have a profile because like historically they just people think, like female serial killers don't exist, and historians believe that many unsolved murders were committed by women because people just assumed that women couldn't kill or be violent like that. And I'm like, I guess historians have never seen the oxygen network.
Speaker 2: Well, no, and women are better at committing crimes. That's what it's like. I guess women didn't do it, And it's like, no, they're just poisoning you with little flowers really every morning and your oatmeal.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are meticulous. Yeah, anti freeze having a new uh, a distinct taste now really fucked up a lot of secret murtering. Really a real fork in the plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back when it tastes like gatorade, we had a lot of options.
Speaker 2: No, chicks are just good at murder hopefully. I mean they get angry like Chicago. You know, Bubba, what is it? Snaps? Yeah, that's a row.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Wong argues that she was raped and so she might have rape trauma syndrome, that maybe this guy does something that provokes a feeling from a past assault and that's what leads her to kill who knows. So Elliott and Olivia get called to another crime scene. A guy is bloody in his car with his pants undone. He's got six stab wounds. His name is Vincent Bertram, and they're checking to see if any of his credit cards have been used. The cause of death happened two to four hours pre release, which means he has not he did not get he didn't gizz, he didn't come.
Speaker 2: Sorry, why was that so hard for you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know why that was so hard because I was trying to say he didn't We're trying to be appropriate. Why, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: His balls were filled with giz and he didn't come yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't come yet, and so he basically died of blue balls.
Speaker 2: You guys, So it's real.
Speaker 1: Everything that guys tell you in high school about how painful it is, that's what happened to this guy. No, And somebody goes, oh, is that significant, and he goes ice T.
Speaker 2: He goes, no, that's just cold classic.
Speaker 1: But they do see a charge on one of his credit cards for a hotel. They bust into the hotel. This seems like very sloppy. We're talking about how women do good work. It seems very sloppy to kill a guy and check right into a hotel with his credit card. But okay, they bust into the hotel. Maggie's there with her little son, Joey, who's very upset.
Speaker 2: He's like, mommy, mommy, mommy.
Speaker 1: So in the next scene, they're at the precinct and little Joey is sitting on Munch's lap, and I that was very touching for me, Like, I think we've all seen all of them all be with like tiny babies before, but like Munch bouncing a two and a half year old, like probably whispering theories about the Kennedy assassination into his ear was cute to me. And Wong is like, give me a chance to talk to Maggie. Let me examine her. So he sits down with her. I love a Wong one on one, as we all do a Huang one on one, and basically we're finding out her dad was a dick. He was always not a nice man. He was violent towards her. She's never had voices in her head, but she does. When he suggests, have you ever like lost time? Have you ever woken up and not know how you got somewhere? She's like, Oh, yeah, that happens to me all the time. Wow, I can't believe I never considered that this happens every time. Basically I go home with a John, that happens to me. So she starts telling him all that and then she basically relates it back to she said my would black out when my dad would start hitting me. So on the other side of the glass, Wang is done with the interview and he's like, she's not psychotic, but she does have PTSD. I also think she's lying and she's telling me whatever I want to hear, which I love when Wong is able to kind of like cut through the bullshit even with like people that are good actors, because she seems like she's probably a pretty convincing actor to most people, but not too Wong. So then they send Stabler in a loan so that he can observe her talking to someone else, and shit gets wild here. She immediately like changes her demeanor, like she if she is voting in one of our grid games, she is not voting for Wong.
Speaker 2: She is voting for Stabler. She is so flirty.
Speaker 1: Immediately like starts unbuttoning her cardigan. She's wearing one of these cardigan sets that were very hot. I had many of them, were very big in the early two thousands. I would say hot, because I don't think a cardigan set's ever considered super hot. But she's unbuttoning it and she's got like a little sort of tank underneath.
Speaker 2: It that matches it. And she sits up on the.
Speaker 1: Table like in front of Stabler, basically telling him he has a hot body. But she knows it's only to impress other people, so she basically is like straddling Stabler. This is very basic instinct. She's talking in a sultry voice. It's very she's trying really hard. And then there's a knock and Stable just gets up and walks out like he's very immune to her sexy ways. And then Wang explains that she's got what's called a cocktail personality. I think this might be made up for the show, because I googled it and it just really wasn't available anywhere. Defined as like something that is psychological. If you if you are like a psychologist or you're you've studied psychology, please let us know if that is a legitimate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you study a cocktail personality, please let us know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when you look it up, it literally is like what cocktail is your personality?
Speaker 2: And it's like gin and tonic.
Speaker 1: I mean, so basically he says that a cocktail personality is someone who uh senses other people's vulnerabilities, reads their personalities and then performs accordingly. So it's a classic sign of a sociopath. So when she was speaking to Huang, she was appealing to his vulnerable side, and you know that he's this sensitive, sort of more of a care ring vibe about him. And then with Stabler, it was like, you know, talking about his body and being sexy because she assumes, like the way that he looks, that that's what he would be into. So Huang suggests that she may have put herself with these violent men on purpose, thinking that she could control the situations, and that the best way to take away her control is to expose her lies. So that's when they send in the big guns, Benson. So Benson comes in and you can tell Maggie's piss She's like, where's Stabler? And Benson's like, it's just us girls now, and it's really funny. So she confronts Maggie that her mom is still alive and that there's no doubt on the birth certificate, so she probably never knew her dad, and that whole story about the abusive dad is a total lie. And I think Maggie says something about like I'd rather die than have anything happen to my son, and Olivia's like, well, you're getting your wish because the state's going to kill you. So she lunges at Benson, who obviously disarms her immediately and has her bent over the table within seconds, handcuffing her. This is a lot of erotic play for one episode. It's a pretty sexual episode. So Cabot has been able to connect Maggie through DNA to three other murders.
Speaker 2: And she's talking.
Speaker 1: She's explaining this to Wong and talking about whether she's going to go for the death penalty, which would be the first time New York State has executed a woman, and Cabot feels, based off the evidence that it's a death penalty case. Wong doesn't believe in capital punishment. I don't believe in capital punishment either, so I'm with Wang here on this. Wong doesn't believe that she's legally insane. He thinks she knows what she was doing was wrong and she didn't care, and that he thinks also that she would kill again in a second. So in the next scene, Cabot is with Judge Elizabeth Donnelly. I'm sorry, now she's not a judge, but she becomes a judge. Later, it's Jude's light. Judith Light, our favorite. I love her, and they're returning from her presentation that she just made for the Capital Committee, which I guess is the committee of people who decide whether we're going to execute someone. So Cabot has decided to go after the death penalty, and Judith lyt is like ribbing her, being like it's funny because.
Speaker 2: If you get your wish, you're going to be the enemy.
Speaker 1: Of feminism, and Cabot's like, I think this is a win for feminism. Maggie deserves a needle in the arm, just like any other cold blooded killer, a man, or you know, anyone else. And then we hear the soft voice saying, so she should just take it like a man. Oh shit, Diane Waste is here, da Nora Lewin.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that didn't hurt everyone's ears. But I am a huge Diane Waste fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's so good in this one little scene, she's so like quiet and amazing, Like she's really really good. She has been on I associate her so much with law and Order, but I think that's just because I used to watch a lot of more original recipe back in the Day. But she was on forty six episodes of Original Law and Order and she's only been on two of SVU, So this one and one other one.
Speaker 2: For me, she is practical Magic in the bird Cage. That's what I think about when I think of her. Well, you've never seen those movies either, No, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I first of all, the Bird Cage. I was trying to think who she is. She's married to Gene Hackman, right, yeah, she's the mother. And then I just watched Practical Magic over Pandemic at our friend Rene's house, and I think I would have been better if I had watched Practical Magic as a team. Maybe, I mean, yeah, to watch it now as an adult, it did not hold up for me watching it now as an adult, it was fun.
Speaker 2: It was a fun little romp. Well, because I sometimes I feel like my hairdoos look like Stockard Channing in that movie. I'm always like, oh, I'm having a Stockard witch Day. And I also like when I'm in a town like that, I'm like, oh, this is a practical magic yeah town like I like Burlington, Vermont to me is like, okay, practical magic vibes basically New England. Yeah, yeah, but little you know, yeah, little New England. Well, you should come to my town where I grew up.
Speaker 1: You'll get some you'll get practical magic yacht club vibes from my town.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, no, no, no, no no no, do not try to put Connecticut into my practical magic fanis.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you there are practical magic towns in Connecticut, but maybe not mine.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it didn't hold up for you. You didn't like the dance with the margarita and the frogs spitting out the thing and the pancakes.
Speaker 1: It was just wild to see these two actresses that are just so acclaimed now in this like very very like hokey movie about magic.
Speaker 2: It's not hokey, and it's not about magic. It's about sisterhood and fulfilling your full potential and not being scared to be magical and don't fuck you know, murderers. Yeah, yeah, but about it's about connection and family and being who you truly are. Okay, so people trying to shut down women.
Speaker 1: The themes did not strike to my heart the way that they did for you. Maybe we should rewatch it together.
Speaker 2: You know what our friend's wedding I mentioned practical magic in my speech. I forgot that. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I remember you crushing, but I was also extremely incapacitated at that point. Already I was pretty fucked up by dinner. But anyway, I had to do the marriage ceremony. So by the time I got done, I was like, give me every drink that exists on this property.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we both had really heavy lifting jobs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So by the time your speech was happening, I remember laughing so hard, but I could not tell you quotes.
Speaker 2: I could not. No, I wouldn't need a quote.
Speaker 1: I'm not that, I'm not insane.
Speaker 2: Okay, we move on. What is dian anyway?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Diane Weese has this like very very like powerful conversation with them right about the death and this is like three women talking about the death penalty. And it's very interesting to me because Nora, that's Diane Wee's name, her characters like, I don't like this. You think the first female we execute should be a single mom sex worker who's also a rape victim. And Cabot argues that being a victim of a violent crime does not mitigate capital punishment, and neither does being a woman or a mother, and if this was a man who was abused as a child and then murdered for women, would we even be having this discussion? And Nora says, if you were seeking the death penalty, of course we would. She just has such a calm like but commanding way of speaking, and then Donnelly argues, She's like, I don't think we would be having that conversation if it was a male offender, because that wouldn't offend the female constituents who put you in office. And Nourah's ready with the comeback. She's like, who we choose to execute is always political. I'm not going to kill anyone if there's a possibility they acted in self defense. You don't like it, you can always run against me.
Speaker 2: Next term. Boom, boom baby shacka laka for sure, boom goes the dynamite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is different. I like, it's it's weird that equality is. I don't know, I don't want. I actually don't have the brain capacity to talk about the.
Speaker 1: Thing is that almost there's almost never a serial killer or a killer, a person responsible for multiple deaths who's going to be executed, who has not had a fully traumatic childhood and upbringing. I don't think that that's very common, and I think we need to consider that with every person that is being put to death.
Speaker 2: But that's why I don't believe in the death penalty.
Speaker 1: Like we just executed someone under Trump, this woman who had like truly one of the most horrific upbringings and lives and she actually her story is based on an SVU is based on her story. She did cut a baby out of a woman. Murdered a woman and cut the baby out. That is a horrific crime. This woman was like beyond mentally unstable, like there was her life was a string of traumas. I just don't think killing people like that is what we're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 2: But my opinion, well that's just our whole society. It's like dealing with the symptoms and not with the issue. Yeah, because they all make money off capital punishments. I'm sure, like there's a reason the forty five administration was rushing to murder tons of people the end. It's not just because of justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but doesn't it It costs a lot of money to keep people on death row.
Speaker 2: And now what if you invest in the injection, Like I don't know, I don't have any of these. It was just weird how many people they just wanted to kill at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it's it's also been proven that it's not a deterrent to crime. So anyway, no, because if you're so fucked up, why, like you don't have anything to live for. I mean that's the whole thing, where, yeah, when you don't have anything to live for, the death penalty means nothing exactly. So in court, the defense attorney for Maggie is cross examining an er doctor that has treated Maggie, and she's just like reading out all of her injuries. She's just like she had cheek lacerations and bruising. And then the next witness on the stand is Bertram's wife, and she testifies how violent her former husband was as well, and that one night the cops got there right on time because.
Speaker 2: She thinks he would have raped or killed her.
Speaker 1: And so then they have Maggie on the stand and she testifies that all the men that she has killed would have killed her, so like she was always acting in self defense. And Cabot's like, why would you put yourself in harm's way when you say you do everything you do is for your son, Like why would you have done this? And she's like, I assume the risk because I take I do everything for my child. And it's still like okay, but you could get murdered every single day and where who would that leave your child with? So at the precinct they're all really panicking, Like Donnelly is like, I can't believe you didn't know about the wife's testimony because it definitely makes her a more sympathetic victim that this man's husband wife also said he beat up on her all the time and was a bad person that you could easily try to defend your life from. So a live is always doing the detail work. She figures out from a doctor's report. The doctor's report that they were talking about on the stand is from mark of two thousand, and that doctor's report says nothing about her being pregnant, but her son Joey, judging by how old he is, would have been born the next month, April of two thousand. So what's up. She wasn't pregnant in March of two thousand, and she's got a kid in April of two thousand.
Speaker 2: Where did this kid come from?
Speaker 1: Twist baby Eighteen months ago, a twenty six year old woman went grocery shopping. Her body was found strangled in the store parking lot. Her six month old son was never found. Yeah, she just gets what she wants. Yeah, no matter what, no one's gonna buy your story now, babe about how your son's the best thing you ever did and how you do everything for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a user. Yeah, she's using him. It's like her alibi, like her story. Oh my god, totally.
Speaker 1: So she's like where's Joey, where's Joey? And Olivia's like back with his father who thought he was dead.
Speaker 2: You monster.
Speaker 1: So like it's really we're getting a lot more beneath the surface of Maggie here. They offer her murder two on all counts concur sentences, so fifteen to twenty years. She'd be out probably in fifteen, especially someone manipulative like her, like she'd probably get good time, good behavior or whatever. Yeah, but Jale's filled with people like her. Yeah, that's it's tough. Cabot's basically like, you're never gonna get a better deal than this, especially like if I tack on the kidnapping and murder charge to this of this Joey's mom, So she says, I didn't kill the mom. I found Joey his mom threw him away, and Cabot's like, bitch, the jig is up. You need to stop, Like we're not buying any of this. Then we're in court and Maggie has not shown up, and there's a very hilarious, uh, what you don't call them extras? Background he's not a background actor. A guy who's like an under five who's playing a bailiff is basically a robot. He calls downstairs and he's like, we're waiting for Maggie Peterson.
Speaker 2: And they're like, he goes, there's a problem. Anyway.
Speaker 1: If you watch the episode, you notice that this man is a full robot. And Benson and Stabler go to check out what's going on with Maggie.
Speaker 2: Why has she's not shown up at court?
Speaker 1: And dunt on she has hung herself with her stockings in a very much sort of interesting not flashback, but like, you know, connection to the two other dead sex workers that we saw earlier who were like basically hung up after they were killed. She's hanging but in a really really weird way, like she didn't get on a table and hang from the ceiling. She's like hanging from the bars of the cell. So she just so the guy goes. She just sat down till she died, like she just the self discipline, you have to kill yourself this way and not self discipline. But I don't know what I'm trying to say, do you know what I mean? Like to not you could just stand up and keep breathing, and she's just wasn't doing it. She just let herself die that way. And she left a note leaving everything to Joey, her son. What does she have? She well, she has her thousand dollars cards. Well, she had ten thousand dollars in a safe deposit box. It's probably all stolen. I'm doubt he can even have that money. But then Ben, Benson and Stabler kind of just look at her, and Benson's like, look at her.
Speaker 2: Her hair and makeup looks perfect.
Speaker 1: She gets to go out like a beauty queen, like this is all a performance and like the final shot is just like a zoom in on ournechoks very beautiful and even in death, she's kind of like, no must like her faces, makeup is perfect and everything. And then nuts Dick Wolf Baby, thank you so much. The incredible episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of twists and turns, and we'll be right back with a famous, famous crime. So welcome back, all right. So this is so famous Eileen Warros and Worros Warns Warnos, Eileen Warnos. Both names are hard to spell and say. It's like grew up in such a small place. It's like, can't she just be Stacey? But I have not seen the movie Monster or Boys Don't Cry. I don't know those like tough Tough Women oscar Roll movies. Really I can't watch them. It's too tough. It's too hard for me.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, but not for a while. So I'm I'm looking forward to getting the recap.
Speaker 2: On this, and I you know, I was doing a lot of research. So I saw Roger Ebert was like Charlie's this is the best performance of all time. But there's been documentaries. This was a really famous case. So I tried to do some research that maybe brought some new things to light. It's some information. And you know, our first episode we ever did. My friend called me out that I was totally on Leona Hemsley's side, and it's like everyone could tell, and I do feel like, listen, I'm on Eileen's side here. I don't know what to tell you. And it is fucked up. And that's why in the episode where you're like, well, equality men, women, and it's like, yeah, it's it's about valuing each other, it's not. We're not all the same. And I do feel worse for her than any other criminal we've ever talked about. I don't care. I don't know what to tell you. I'm you know, I'm not in the court of law. I'm not at a bar because a greater I just really feel for this bitch and I'm on her side, So I don't care. But there's a debate, and there we don't really know what is true what is not. Is she America's first female serial killer or is she just like this feminist hero who had a murder in self defense, So we don't know if it's like evil genius or she was really, you know, fucked up life obviously fucked up life, horrible childhood. Warnos grew up in Troy, Michigan. Her mother abandoned her as an infant, and her biological father was a wife beater and a pedophile. Her dad committed to suicide by hanging while in prison for serving time for child molestation. So already not good news. I mean, we're three sentences in. It's like this is enough, but it's not. There's more. Yeah, there's more. It's like the price is right, but the opposite. It's like sad instead of woo, like you know, a trip to Italy. So she was beaten by her father who she didn't really know but was her biological grandfather. He was her father's father. I don't know whose father he was, but the grandfather was her adoptive father. So I don't know if the father this grandfather was fucking or his daughter and pretending to be the Eileen's father or grandfather. It's like it's too white trash for me to fully grasp. But there's just a lot of incest. I don't know. There's just like a lot of problems. But yeah, So the person who thought, who she thought was just her adoptive father, like a stepfather type of character, was really her biological grandfather. So that's just that she lived in the woods and she would give sexual favors to men, and she had to sell sex for food and beer and money. So she was actually from age nine, trading blowjobs for cigarettes. And when you think about this, it's like, Okay, I mean, it's all fucked up. But if it's like a bunch of eleven year olds buying blowjobs, it's like, Okay, we're all fucked up kids. But I am assuming these are men from the neighborhood getting serviced by a nine year old. Yes, what the fuck? A whole town of these people, Yeah, And that is why it's so annoying when women aren't believed, or people aren't believed, or people don't under It's like a whole town was fucking getting blowjobs from a nine year old. Yeah, Oh that's so awful. So basically you go, I mean, this is a famous case. She eventually did get the death penalty, and then her defense attorneys brought up all of these people from her past to like show what a terrible life she had and that was self defense and stuff like that. So a bunch of men took the stand and we're talking about all the awful things that they'd done to her, and one man said that he would fuck her, but then in public would ignore her, call her awful names, throw rocks at her, tell her to go home because he didn't want to be seen or associated with her. But in private they would fuck and he was a young kid. I mean he looked guilty, like these people that took the stand look guilty. Her friends took the stand, like all of these people, and she was like, fuck this, they're all lying. None of this happened. Go, I hate all of you, but it is just like a whole town. And one of the women was like every single person in this town knew what was happening. No one fucking helped her, no one cares, and now everyone's like, oh no, I used to bring her food. Oh I remember I was nice to her, And it's like no one was fucking nice to her, right, So it's like this whole town loved ragging on this abused child and then now are all like, oh and maybe we did something wrong. Yeah, OK, a piece of shit. Yeah. Like one of the friends that took the stand, she said that this grandfather dad situation, he bent her. Oh they got home and he bent her over her a chair and beat her for five minutes straight with a leather belt, and like while her friend just watched, like it was a really horrific life. She was pregnant and thirteen and was forced to give up her child for adoption. She was raped several times constantly, but also like every time she committed any sort of like sex work as a child as a rape. You know, it's like, yes, constant rape. She was living in forts, she had frostbite, and then at fifteen sixteen, she just hit the road and sold sex along the way. She lived in motels and rented rooms and lived on the streets. And this is what we're talking about, Like she didn't look for the future. Like for her, she just had enough money for a couple days. She was rolling in the dough. And so we're talking about a person who only is thinking two three days in advance. And that's what happens to a lot of like I remember, I forgot who was speaking, but it happens to a lot of like teens and stuff in the hood where like they don't see their lives past twenty because no one else around it. They just see so much death. So it's like to then encourage these people, like go to school, you have a future. There's things happening. It's like they don't have that perspective. They can only think about survival, she became a Florida drifter. So this is in Florida. Now she learned her living as a sex worker along the highway, and so the murder of the crimes, this kind of tale starts in the winter of nineteen eighty nine slash like nineteen ninety ish. But I just want to reiterate again, like no one ever helped her, Like while she was getting beaten, no social worker, no teacher, no neighbor, no police officer, no one helped her. She slept in the snow, no one helped her. She was getting cigarettes and drinking and smoking, and like you know, teen sex worker, no one ever cared. No options the school, Like she stopped going to school. No one from the school reached out to anyone to be like, why is this child not at school? Like truly, no one fucking cared about her. It's really fucked. She was married divorced within months. She beat her wealthy husband and he took out a restraining order against her. She was arrested a ton for petty bullshit. So she was arrested for like do uys shooting guns into the air while driving drunk. That's fun. That sounds kind of fun. Yeah, hitting a bartender, speeding, resisting arrests, assaulting men, phony checks, holding up a convenience store. And she hit a lot of her boyfriends. So that is her life. She got written up a lot in jail too, so she would start fights in like a lot of uncooperative behavior. So basically like that, you know, a life of petty crime. And then a bunch of adult white men started disappearing one by one, and it got a lot of attention. And obviously, and this has been in the news recently, but like if this was a bunch of women of color disappearing or a bunch of sex workers, no one would really care, you know, if male john's were killing a bunch of female sex workers, no one would care, or transsex workers or whatever. So in late nineteen eighty nine, she killed one of the men who picked her up and then killed seven more guys. So the first victim was Richard Charles Mallory and that happened November thirtieth, nineteen eighty nine, and he was shot several times, and the two bullets in his left lung are what caused the death. And I'm just gonna say thevictims' names to be respectful. So I'm just going to go through that because you know, I'm on her side. So it's like tough, but we will be respectful to these men. And so this is so fucked up of me, okay. So then David Andrews Spears was the second victim, and he was declared missing me nineteenth, nineteen ninety and was found on June first. He was shot six times. Charles Edmund Carskadon was a part time rodeo worker, which is pretty fun, and he was shot nine times. Peter Abraham Seems was sixty five and his body was never found, but her prints were found inside of his car. But for me, it's like no body, no crime. Sorry, I mean right, that's okay. C Anthony got away with it. If you can't, what do you mean, no body, no crime, That's that's why you get rid of the body. Troy Eu Jean Burres aged fifty. He was reported missing July nineteen ninety and then his body was found August fourth, nineteen ninety and he was shot twice. Charles Richard aka Dick humphreyes fifty six. His body was found on September twelfth, nineteen ninety. Fully clothed and he was shot six times. And finally, her last victim was Walter Gino Antonio and his body was found November nineteenth, nineteen ninety naked and near a remote logging road and he was shot four times. So a psychologist who spent a lot of time with her is Phyllis Chessler, and she wrote a groundbreaking book called Women in Madness in nineteen seventy two about how the mental health system treats women and calls them crazy when they just didn't want to do housework or like if they were lesbians. And then going back about this, first the first victim though, like you know, because that's the whole thing, was a self defense? Is she a killer? But her first victim this Richard Mallory guy. He had done time in an institution for attempted rape in the past and he was a violent person, so it But then she changes her mind a lot too. She initially said that the killings were in self defense after they assaulted her, after they picked her up, but later she said that was a lie and she was intending to rob and kill these men. And people don't know if she did that because she was just over and wanted to get executed or she no one actually knows, and there's hours of foot I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was like an amazing like sense of control after being abused by men for decades to be able to just you know, have the upper hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably like the what Bad Wong mentioned in the episode about like the you know, you've been raped so much that any sort of thing can trigger a trauma response. But yeah, all right, So and at the end of the day, she was really frustrated and pissed how much violence came from her job, both from the Johns and law enforcement. And that's the thing. It's like, you know, the patriarch, You're like, hetero culture wants to sexualize women, but as soon as women are sexual beings or sexual then they also get beat and it's like what do you all want? You know what I mean, it's so fucked up. And then like to also get violence from these people using your services and the people that are supposed to help you or I don't know, it's just not a friend in sight, not a friend in sight for AILI. It's so upsetting. Yeah, So she was arrested at the last resort bar in Port Orange, Florida and January nineteen ninety one on an outstanding charge of carrying a concealed weapon and that led to a charge of murder. I thought it was just Tyro.
Speaker 1: Why did it switch it to Tyria.
Speaker 2: I think her name was just Tyra. So Tyra Moore, who was her lover, who was like Christina Ricci in the movie, spoke to her by phone in front of police and elicited a confession to the murders. So even yes sold her out and sold her out on the stand, like testify to fucking against her. So her one love in her life fucking sold her out. She was tricked into confessing by her lover without a lawyer present. And you know, we watch SVU, we know it is wrong. Yeah, And she did say that the killings were self defense sixteen times during the questioning and everything, and the jury never was told this. Someone edited out that from the video that was shown to the jury. What so they showed like her confessing all this shit, but took out the parts where she said sixteen times that it was self defense. The first victims violent past wasn't brought up at trial. I mean the trial was fucked too. We'll going to like, it's truly not a friend insight for this person, because even the people that worked with are in psychologists, and like the journalists who came to talk to her and help her, and like anyone, they all wanted something from her. Everyone sold the story, everyone tried to get movie deals, everyone, everyone was using her. No, truly, not one person in her corner. This is fuck. So the prosecutor is this guy named John Tanner, and he is this like born again Christian guy. He visited Ted Bundy fifty times to pray with him and pray and like you know, do all this stuff with him. And it's so strange because he was fighting to have Eileen killed.
Speaker 1: He was fighting, that's that strange. Yeah, because he hated sex workers. I think that fucking tracks perfectly with these kind of people. These are the same people that don't think women should have abortions because they want to fight for a baby that's not been born, but they don't want to help women with their health care in any other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like, what's the difference between Ted and Eileen, And it's he hated sex workers, So it's this Christian thing, but like fifty times he visited Ted Bundy, who had so many more victims, and he was like the number one person who wanted Eileen fucking executed. Tons of right wing Christians were fighting to have her executed. Beyond me, Yeah, beyond me. I mean that's like Hugh Religion. Right wing Christians fighting to have her executed. In a documentary from two thousand and three, there's a footage of her and orange jumpsuit and she's giving an interview and she's like, this is all ladder jumping during the election season and everyone is just trying to get attention for their campaigns, and she's not wrong, and that's that end this. The prosecutor was also a longtime friend and colleague of the presiding judge. Again, I'm not trying to defend a murderer, but I don't think she should have been sentenced to death. I don't, I really don't. I do not believe that for a second. And you know, I'm going to keep up with this Bundy comparison just to like prove how unfair a lot of this stuff was. But like his legal team asked to change locations of the trial because of all the publicity, and that was granted and she asked for the same thing. It was not granted. The trial was over in five days. The jury voted guilty in an hour and a half and they recommended the death sentence in an hour and forty eight minutes. For Bundy, it was seven and a half hours to decide death. But he was also offered a sentence of life with no parole. Warnos was not. She wasn't even offered a life sentence. Yeah. So, between nineteen seventy six and twenty sixteen, sixteen American women were executed, and most often for killing one or two people, whereas during the same time, seventeen American male killers who killed between fourteen and one hundred women were given less severe sentences and only five of them were executed.
Speaker 1: WHOA, that's those statistics are fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hate women. Women can't do anything. It's like, and that's the Diane we sa of it all. In all of this, it's like, what are we fighting for with feminism when it's like we want more killers, but it's like no, But even when there are these crimes, it's like it's I it's not even fair. Yeah, so life in prison was just never offered to her and everyone like I mentioned, involved in the case was trying to sell the story and make money of her life. She was surrounded by a terrible scum. So she also had a lawyer named Steve who lived in a teepee who took money from interviews he had set up for her, so he was like taking a cut and acting like an agent to like make money off people being interviewed. And he's the one who pled guilty for her and the lawyer who took her at her word when she said she wanted to die. He visited her in jail after smoking seven joints. So there was like this documentary that followed all this stuff. It is really wild because it's like wait, what but this is all on camera. This guy was just like high as hell heading over to court to be like, yeah, she wanted to be put to death, Like it's oh my god, it's very strange. The doc that came out at the time is called Selling of a Serial Killer, and it showed footage of this hippie lawyer getting high and just fucking her life up. No mistrials, no nothing. So the police involved had to give a press conference and apologize for trying to give information to make Hollywood movies, like the police were taping conversations and the point is, so they got in trouble for like trying to sell information and fucking with the case. So maybe like one of her death sentences can be overturned or a mistrial or something since the cops are recording conversations and selling them. Nope, nothing, not one thing got overturned. Everything was swept under the rug and got covered up. God, there was a lot of tabloid buzz obviously an attention, and people were rude and called her a man hating, lesbian killer. But men kill women all the time, and why don't we ever call them women haters?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why does it? I don't understand if you're a feminist in any capacity. It's like man hater, man hater. Why don't we ever get to call like why is that not in the zeitgeist? So like women hater? Why is Ted Bundy not a woman hater?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just ye know, it's I never thought about that, But that's a great question.
Speaker 2: Because I had a try, I had an ish. I ran into an issue at a comedy club that I frequent where she was like you, the booker said, my man hating material needed to stop. And my man hating material was that men should make women come more so evil. And you know, looking around, it's like there was a dude who was doing jokes about how countries that beat women have better tasting food. I'm not saying if the joke was funny or not. I don't think this person is a woman beater, But how is that not a woman hating joke?
Speaker 1: Right right, Like it's just not that's just not part of the lexicon to be a mamin hater.
Speaker 2: Man hating is a thing that men have created. Yeah, and we talk about this a lot with the Violence Against Women Act, where it's like, why isn't men committing violence? It's like always violence, it's always passive. It's like who's committing all these crimes against women? But from now it's like we all have to make it our mission that anytime there's an Abel Castro or any of these fucking lunatics that attack what, they're women haters. Yeah, we just are like, oh, they're mentally dizzy. Oh these school shooter ome poor them. And it's like, yeah, no, that guy in Atlanta was a woman hater. Yes, you know it's so, but yeah, people were just like, Oh, this fucking lesbian kill her. Right. Also, male serial killers are often very glorified and movies are made about them and they have fans, And for her, it was just like you're a monster and a bad person. It's like they're just putting us in such a weird place where we're fighting for the rights of a cold blooded killer. Maybe, but I don't think. I don't know. I don't think that there are just different standards for women and men, and men are expected to be violent, and we as a culture minimize and deny male violence, like he's under a lot of pressure, he's in therapy, he's working on himself. Oh, he wouldn't do that. But we also blame women for male violence, where it's like, why did she stay? She likes it rough, she provoked him, what you know, because I remember a lot of people still to this day it's like, well, what did Rihanna do? What did Rihanna do? Yeah, And obviously there is a debate about whether it was self defense or was she an aggressive killer, But it shows that women's self defense is consistently confused for female aggression, and it reflects in the sentencing. According to the nineteen ninety Florida State Supreme Gender Bias Report the year war nots was you know killing women in Florida were treated more harshly than similarly crimed male offenders.
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of like we talked about this in the Nicks Mary Brown case where her husband was the one who murdered this little girl, but she got a longer sentence because there's a thing about what you're a mother, you're a woman.
Speaker 2: Like why didn't you protect your child?
Speaker 1: Or like women are supposed to be good people or something, And I mean, he just reminds me. I know, she wasn't a mom, Eileen Morenos, But like, you know, there's just for some reason women get punished because it's like you're supposed to be good, so you doing.
Speaker 2: This bad thing. Men are expected to do shitty stuff. Yeah, and it's not just in the criminal world. I mean I think for parenting and stuff too. As a mom, you could truly do everything and it's never enough. And a guy, if you just hold the baby at a party, people are like, oh my god, the shother of the year. You know, it's it's not fair, okay. Men and Jaya and prison have greater access to libraries, educational and rehab programs, gyms, and are more conveniently located like closer for family visits. So when she did appear in courtant she I mean, she's a badass bitch, So she didn't hesitate to tell the judge injury exactly what she thought of them. She score a lot. I mean, she was a rude person, you know, like she wasn't soft and cuddly, okay, and why would she be? What is the world taught her? Anyone that you trust is going to fucking beat you, take advantage of you, rape you. The University of Rhode Island had an academic thing I called, I don't know, a journal whatever, and it was called Dignity, a Journal of Analysis of Exploitation and Violence. And it's by Phyllis Chessler, who's a professor of psychology at Coney And I mentioned her above. She has a book. She's had decades of experience, and she worked very closely with her like I'll talk about it, but she spent a lot of time with Eileen, and so in the journal, I got a lot of information. And so there are so many male criminals and they often get plea bargained since there's overcrowding in jails. But since there are less female criminals, there's no need to save space or because of fear of overcrowding or anything, so there's less motivation to plea bargain with women. So women end up serving longer sentences and worse facilities. Wow, I never thought about that. I didn't either. That's why you got to get these academic journals out. I mean I truly felt like I was, you know, in college. Again, well, I went to a Christian college, so I didn't actually have to do work. You could just be like, listen, Noah said this, and that's that. Okay, But yeah, I never thought about her too. Everything is selfish, so like there's no need to plea bargain anything. There's like space for all the women criminals, and that's why men get like deals. The same psychologist Chessler, She drove down there a lot. No one would call her back. She was this feminist, She was a journalist, and she could have been a potential witness. She tried to be an organizer. She believes the trauma and violence she dealt with affected her in these crimes and not excused but explained. But she was met with resistance in always like no one let her help. She spent a lot of time with Eileen, got a lot of scoop from her, but she legit got together a pro bono team of experts to testify about violence against prostitutes and the rights to defend herself and address the complex post traumatic stress from being a sex worker. None of them were called.
Speaker 1: So her legal team wouldn't call any of these people even though.
Speaker 2: No, So this woman put together this pro bono like set of experts that were never called to trial at all. And also Eileen refused an insanity defense. I don't know if that would have helped her or not. And like I said earlier, just to reiterate how alone this woman was. Her lesbian lover testified against her. Yeah, Eileen kind of broke down and cried in court as they played the tapes of her getting a confession out on tape. So they were like playing Tyra's shit, and like you can see, Eileen started crying so sad. But Tyra was bad news and knew all about all the murders and was never charged for anything and was a state's witness and was part of the movie deal package money so Eileen was sentenced to death and just kept getting more death sentences attached to her, and just watching the judge sentence someone to death was hard to watch. Yeah, it's sick, it's sick, and as it's really disgusting. I saw one video where after she was sentenced again with this like Steve lawyer guy who didn't know what he was doing. She started saying how she will be in heaven while they all rotten hell. And she looks at what I think is the prosecution and says, I hope your daughter and wife get raped in the ass. I was raped, and you are nothing but a bunch of scum putting someone that was raped to death. You motherfuckers. She spoke her mind. Yeah, she finally dropped all her a PA and fired her lawyers. The psychiatrists concluded that she was competent to choose execution. She met up and did another interview with a documentary for the same guy that did the Selling of a serial Killer documentary in two thousand and three. He made another one in two thousand and three called Life and Death of a serial Killer. And they see each other in Core and she says she wants to talk to him so she says, the chances to overtune death penalty are like super small and mostly the ones that get changed have DNA, so you know, she's like, I'm going to die. I don't want to die a liar. She confesses that it was not self defense that she killed them in cold blood, but not for the thrill like most serial killers, but for survival and robbing them and eliminating a witness. Wow. She said, sorry about it, but the world is evil. We are all evil, and my evil came out because of substances of what I was doing, being homeless, hooking and hitchhiking. She also said she still missed Tyra and loved her. Yeah, and she said that she's sorry for all the other people that lost their life, love ones and she's sorry. She said all the self defense stuff wasn't true. But like I said, is that so she could just be executed and die or is that really the truth? She was executed in October two thousand and two by lethal injection. Warnos was forty sixth and it was the tenth woman executed in the US. Her final statement was I'll be back like Independence Day with Jesus June sixth, just like the movie Big mother Ship and I'll be back. Wow. She asked to be cremated with her Bible and for Natalie Merchant's song Carnival be played at her wake. And weirdly, the bar she got arrested in, the last resort bar that was where her last night of freedom was, they have like a large painting with her and like it has all the names of the men she killed in a framed photo of her, and it's kind of like, wow, a true crime destination of sorts. Wow wow wow. Yeah, it's so fucked up the story it is. And maybe I'll watch the movie, but like these it's just too sad, and I don't think any I don't know. Maybe the guys are fine. I bet they were bad people, yeah, And I think I wish that all the people in her town can go to jail. I wish all those people that took the stand and admitted to getting blowjobs from her when she was nine years old, like death to them all. And this happens constantly, and for some reason, we have like empathy for men that go through abuse and not women that are just constantly fucking raped for decades. It's really so, it's really fucked.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one is suggesting that she'd be like let out to live her life freely, but she could have been, you know, she could have maybe you know, had some kind of rehabilitation in jail and been able to.
Speaker 2: Just been in jail fine, because she also she hated being in isolation. I mean, it's like if she could be in mass pop first, like death Row, it's like more intense. She could have found like a lover and a friend in jail and been living I don't know, yeah, but well it's upsetting.
Speaker 1: We do, as usual, have a great palate cleanser of a guest for you, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Today's guest is an icon Honestly, she has been nominated for four Primetime Emmys. She's been on Broadway as Sally Bowles and Velmakelly iconic roles on TV, You've seen her on Grey's Anatomy, Shameless, Desperate Housewives, I'm Becoming a God in Central Florida, and most famously, she played Sylvia Costas Sipowitz on NYPD Blue. But today you know her as the cocktail personality baby Maggie Peterson. Guys, get into our talk with Sharon Lawrence.
Speaker 2: So this is an iconic episode, one of our favorites. When you got the script, you read about it and the character, were you very jazzed excited? How did you sure?
Speaker 4: At that point I was playing mostly good women, so it was fun that sense changed. I find more bad women than good women now, and I don't know whether that's because of SVU and the success of that character, or just the way things happen as you evolve in the canon of women in television, but at that point it was it was a nice stretch for me. And when I read the script, it was a mystery to me how anyone could actually that kind of character, could be based on something that's real.
Speaker 2: But at the time.
Speaker 4: I was let's see, when was this filmed?
Speaker 2: Two thousand and two?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, yeah, right, okay, So I was already married to my husband, who's a psychiatry trust and he let me know that this chameleon, the cocktail personality, I should say, the episode is called chameleon, but as some bad Walk's character talks about, it's a cocktail personality. They change in accordance to what they recognize will give them an advantage with whoever it is or talking to so you know, to me that that just sounds like somebody.
Speaker 1: In Hollywood, But.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 4: It's a real psychiatric phenomenon. It's not a diagnosis, but it is a phenomenon.
Speaker 1: That's so, that's so interesting. Your husband must have helped you a little bit. Did he help you a little bit, like get like telling you about that whole.
Speaker 4: Well, he just he just made it legit for me. And that's that's what I needed, the medium and all I needed was for him to say that's real and I could buy in and do the work to make it happen in a real way for me first and hopefully for the audience on stage and for the lens on a camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, you have like your own in house doctor Wong. That's so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, I do.
Speaker 1: Can we ask you we were obviously researching you before we got on this call with you. And there's an uncited piece of information on your Wikipedia that says that you got married to your husband in the same church that your NYPD Blue character got married to Dennis Franz.
Speaker 2: Is that true? Because it says citation needed.
Speaker 4: Well, let me get on there and cite that right now, because Ding ding Ding. It's true.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: When I met my husband, he's Greek. The church that I belonged to beck in my home day in North Carolina was no longer my church. When he said, would you be opposed to getting married in the Greek church? I said, well, honey, I've already done that and I just like it what I met by, and of course it was. It was an easy yes for me because I knew how beautiful this place was. So what my concern was with would it feel like I had done it before? But we did have the same priest. The priest who married who appeared in the background of NYPD Blue was the same priest. He's a real priest, father John Beckis, and he's who married Tom And oh that is so funny.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're going to get on Wikipedia and clear that right now because it is all true.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I do have some more NYPD Blue. Do you keep in touch with Garcel? We're big Real Housewives people. Have you been watching Real Housewives? Any information that you can give me us? I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't watch a lot of reality TV. Not really my thing on I Garcel and I have seen each other at events, and I love her. She's a great gal. She's so charming, and you know, she she was a you know, a bright light on the show. We didn't ever really cross pads, but I certainly watched her on it, and she's got a great vibe, just a great energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, she does on the show. We love her.
Speaker 1: We really have to bring up that you played Velma Kelly in Broadway, which is like one of our favorite of all time musicals, and that's wow, like and I want to know what that was like. But I also want to know if you challenge any of that femme fatale energy, channels any of that fem fatal energy into.
Speaker 2: Your chamelion stroll you.
Speaker 4: Rather than tell you, I'll show you wow.
Speaker 2: Oh wow baby. Oh yes, that looks amazing. Yeah, smoke show. That's a bad girl.
Speaker 4: So I wore the black wig, as you can tell.
Speaker 2: I had to.
Speaker 4: Okay, I couldn't play Velma without it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have more of roxy hair in real life.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, I couldn't. I couldn't smoke, uh in real life, you know, but I could smoke on this and I had a great time. Yeah, you know, It's it's always an honor to step into a classic show. You know, it's it's great to create a show, but to step into a show that's already so iconic, uh means they trust you.
Speaker 1: Just to uh get back a little bit to the SVU episode, we obviously need to talk about the scene where you are basically straddling Christopher Maloney.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, how how was that?
Speaker 1: Our listeners are going to need to hear the details?
Speaker 4: You know you said, Uh, that came so easily to me because I'm a dancer, and I yeah, I have no compunction about listen in in Chicago, we were straddling the audience basically especially the front row because in the in the song he had at common.
Speaker 2: Uh, we are.
Speaker 4: The sub black tango is the proper name for the dance, and so we we are all using our power zones right sometimes and power zones come in many, many versions of the female body and the female presence. And one of those power zones is to not be afraid of your growing area, of that area that is that scares a lot of men. So uh, And in that scene, if you watch closely when he leaves what and not maybe until he leaves, do you notice or when they pull back right before he leaves that her leg is between his legs, that I put my leg between his legs. So it was it was it was a threat as much as a come on. And uh, I'm pretty sure that was me because I know they said just feel free as you're as you're blocking this, as you're you're plotting this out to come around the table, and Chris was game, but I did make that choice because he was He was sitting with his legs apart for the same reason that legs apart stance is classic in the Animal Kingdom when when they are taking their ground right and uh, his legs were already a part on the chair, so I planted mine and it was a great moment for us to find that who's dominant. I not only was above him, but when my leg was between his, he's vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Right. Wow. The other you know, the ending of the episode with you hanging in your jail cell pretty wild. That was you. That wasn't like a yeah, a dummy situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah. And it was me that had the fight with Marriscow, which was really fun because again we know, we were acting class together, Larry Moss's class, and it was really fun to get that physical with her and for us to to because you know, we've hung out, and to have that that playful moment, because it does feel like play and it's rare that women get to do that, women of our age get to do that, you know. And then the scene in the jail cell, the scene was very simple for me. They I was actually seated on something right, so I wasn't stressed on.
Speaker 2: My neck right right.
Speaker 4: The hair and makeup was beautiful. I think I'd already done the courtroom scene, which those courtroom scenes are their own challenge, just the length of ours, the fact that you are not able to move as much, your energy doesn't get to move as much because you're in the in that witness stand. But by the time we shut that, you know, I had pretty much my work was done.
Speaker 2: I know you were in a DA and NYPD Blue, were you like sizing up? Stephanie March was there like eighty eight competitive games.
Speaker 4: She was so good, she's so good and and and they get to do so much more a DA work than I ever did on NiPd. But it was very rare that they really cases really went that far because it was about the cops and Sylvia became about the romance much more than about the system, the judicial system. What I also loved seeing was Judith Light because Judith and I did a musical together, we did company together. And I'm such a fan of hers and and love what she stands for and how she she uses her platform, you know, way back in the day for the AIDS ride. She and her husband have have been such a great source of advocacy for many causes. But what she's done for the gay community is just it's remarkable. And I don't know. Yeah, and then and Diane Weese two is she's a legend. She's a she is a legend. She's a theater legend, at the screen legend. And I love that they use the women in that show to talk about the politicization of cases about women, as particularly capital cases that involve women. It was it was a really smart twiss and the writers right, you know, Tara Butters and Michelle Rossi, those women who recognized that this is more than just a case that's salacious, it's a case about how do we balance justice.
Speaker 2: Well, we went on your Instagram and you are shooting Christmas House too, and two of your co stars are s vu a lum and I don't know if you knew that or not, but we got excited. Treat Williams and Jonathan Bennett were both in SVU episodes, so that was like a jam packed photo we saw. Did you guys ever chat about your SVUS?
Speaker 4: No, but I'm going to get on our family text right now. I knew it. Doesn't surprise me. Treat did because Treat's a New York based guy, so of course he did. He might have done it more than once, but I didn't know Jonathan. Good for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a high younger. He had some relations with a stepmother. It was a wild episode. Ooh ooh, okay, oh.
Speaker 2: What a nice lady. People are cool.
Speaker 1: She's also I wish you guys could I wish we could tape our interviews sometimes with visuals because she's so gorgeous. She looks like the same as she did on NYPD Blue, like twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can catch her beautiful mug in the drama series Joe Pickett coming to Spectrum this winter, and she's going to be in the Christmas House too. Deck those Halls on Hallmark on December eighteenth. If you need a little Christmas movie in your Life and she's on that with Treat Williams, another SVU alum, Jonathan Bennett, and another SVU alum.
Speaker 2: It's like jam packed. And I love talking to people where you can tell they love their job, they're grateful for their lives and they're just like on the fucking ride and enjoying it. Yeah, and some love.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: She just really she has it all for me.
Speaker 1: And we were able to confirm a citation needed from Wikipedia.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a dream.
Speaker 1: We got to get in there and like put our like link to our episode as the confirmation that she got married in the same church as her character.
Speaker 2: So fun. No, we're very cool. Anytime I like start thinking about our lives and who we've talked to him, Like damn, just talented people everywhere. Such a blessing.
Speaker 1: But in today's post mortem, we probably learned.
Speaker 2: That the world is sex again. The page knucks. We have to We're gonna eventually have to change what this little segment is called, because what we learn every week is the world is endless horrors. Everyone hates women and there's nothing good in the world. And that's what we learn. You're just you know, kidnapping babies, hanging yourself at the prison and that's life.
Speaker 1: Wekay, Yeah, But I mean I do think the story of Eileen Morenos is like really is really tough. And I mean, I know everybody, like you know, everybody knows about it from Monster, the Charlie's movie and stuff and the Oscar buzz, But if you really think about it, it's like this was a person who had a really really traumatic upbringing and yes she committed some crimes, but it seems like a lot of her crimes were in self defense. I don't know, I just feel like if I think what we learn time and time again is that if sex work was to come out from the shadows more.
Speaker 2: We could protect sex workers more absolutely. And I think this kind of touches back on what we're talking about with the train attack in Pennsylvania recently, where it's like you knew this child was prostituting herself for cigarettes, you know, and food, and that her grandfother slashed dat whatever, was beating the shit out of her, like the community knew and did nothing. And we've talked about cases before where people know this house is weird, they don't see the kids except their marching at night, and it's like, save those kids. What the fuck you see this child who has nothing? But I bet that community, the whole community was poor. If she's living in the woods, like maybe they don't have. But you know, you hear these stories of like, yeah, my family took in our friend because their parents sucked, and you hear about these things, and it's like, be that person. Be the parents that take in a child of need and fucking help them if you have the me. It's just, yeah, it's used to be like it takes the village community, like all working together, and it's just becomes such an individualistic My nuclear family is all that matters vibes, and it's it's just disappointing. And I don't understand why we don't help each other. Yeah we do. We do have to help each other more, for sure, and just the laws like I didn't, I didn't really realize, you know. It's just upsetting that she wasn't even offered to be in prison, like she had to die like it is. It's sick. I think we learned that Christians are you know this guy, I won't say. I'm not going to say, you know what, I don't need to generalize. But no, but I think everybody needs I mean, I do think.
Speaker 1: We need to take a We need a referendum capital punishment in this country because it's just really not it's not the answer. It doesn't deter it doesn't do the things we think it's going to do. And I think that it's, uh, it's not the right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it reminds me of Yosemite Sam's style government. You know, it's like, why are we taking clues from like a little cartoon guy, And that's what I feel. It's just a bunch of Yosemite Sam's running around me like let's shoot them all up? And it's just the women hating man hate. It's just yeah, I don't know. And why are expert witnesses not being called? You know, our judges just like having so much bias. What's up with the juris? Why didn't we move the trial? It's like everything is so deep and layered and there's so many elements and yeah, well, and we also learned about the cocktail personality, which may or may not be real, but that it is real, I guess because Sharon told us her husband knew about it. I just couldn't find anything about it specifically, because it's been flooded on the internet with what your cocktail quiz is about your personality, Like Cosmo, I'm lucky because my therapist isn't really a therapist, she's kind of a witch doctor, so we don't talk about any diagnoses. You're so lucky. Yeah, I'm just doing taro with my therapis.
Speaker 1: But I think it's I think a good postpartum takeaway is like, look out for people that have that, Like, look out for people that are telling you what you want to hear, and like then they tell the next person what they want to hear. Like just like, beware of those people because they're charming as fuck, but they are narcissists and.
Speaker 2: They'll fuck you in the end or kill you. And in comedy, well, so we have a friend who works in higher education and she did confirm that professors are more insane than comedians, so that's been nice. And then someone that works with comedians told me, she goes, that's horrifying that there's a group of people worse than comedians. And I hope that's not the takeaway I got from this, but I do think in our line of work we deal with a look. I guess all lines of we deal with a lot of mental illness and we need to take stock sometimes of how many psychopaths we are around all times, and it does affect us. But you're right, there's just like calculating people. They act different with different people they want to, I mean, and it takes a while to learn. I feel like you have to get burned time and time again before you like figure it out, because yeah, or who to trust? But I think we deal with a lot of shady people. Yeah, and show business kid, But I guess you know in higher education too. Yeah, true, true, true, don't trust anyone. But there's that book one in four people are sociopath like the sociopath next door? Oh really yeah, I think the theory is like one in four people, damn. And so then it's like, you know, you have to like think about that when you're dealing with someone. If like your boss is purposely fucking you all the time, it's like, oh, that might be a socio yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like my like, we have a friend who's got a step child with her partner, and like the biological mom is like just a powder keg constantly about to go off. Like whenever something bad happens in her life, they know that they're going to start to get something from her, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like she's going to start to give them static.
Speaker 1: Because like it's something that happened to her, and so now she's like got to take it out on everyone around her.
Speaker 2: What's this powder? What's powder? Powder? Would you say? Powder? Like a powder keg?
Speaker 1: Never, I don't know, like a powder keg, like like I think, like an explosive base. A powder keg is like an explosive Yeah, oh I love it. I love getting a little word teaching to you, like a little phrase, turn a phrase, Hannah, Are you here to tell me that I'm wrong?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, I'm here to have Lisa do a pickup.
Speaker 3: It's four percent of ordinary people one in twenty five, not one and four, which I feel like is an important thing to do a pickup of.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I think I just like make up or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's like not one and four, And I was like, I'm going to make sure that's correct.
Speaker 2: But four one in twenty five, but one in twenty five. We all know twenty five people. We all know multiples of twenty five PEPs.
Speaker 1: So you all know a few sociopaths in your life for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nar like we're all I mean, yeah, the older you get, I mean, I can't wait to get more and more wise and understand more of the world. Like what I see now verse ten years ago is just such a difference about just like how to react. I don't know how to see things, like I can't wait to see what I learn in ten years. Yeah about all that. And you'll be dating Joe KOI, yeah, I'll be dating Joy No I who knows? Who knows? But that's funny. No, I want them to beat together.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you'll you'll be dating your Jokoy, your Jokoy, like whoever your JOKOI is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder. I think I did one episode of Chelsea with him, for sure. I did. Well.
Speaker 1: We probably don't have a picture of probably you and him and Margaret that you don't even remember. Oh no, it was you and Margaret and Ross Matthews.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you don't remember.
Speaker 1: But now you're so obsessed with drag Race you don't even remember that you've fully met him.
Speaker 2: Anyway. No, but someone on my Twitter was like, oh, are you going to be Ross Matthews for Halloween, and I'm like, is this shade or what? What are you doing? I don't know what that means. I don't know. Wait what is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Always wait, we're looking at Oh, it's me.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at a photo of a guy named Jeff Wilde, Liza Jokoy and Chewie Bravo, who was uh who has since passed, but I'm so jealous that Lisa got to meet him. I'm with you and that guy Jeff is who I wrote on white Out with Oh no way, Jeffy pot Jiffy call him Jiffy goes by jeff Now again, I think he only went by Jiffy because Chelsea called him that.
Speaker 2: And it was twenty fourteen everybody and twenty four boys Facebook. How did you find that so quick?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's why she's making the big books. And then all the comments are like, I love you, and then one of the comments is she's such a dick to you, Joe, Lol, guess what you're fucking now?
Speaker 2: Well, in the interview, she or they were like on INSTALLA, I don't know, I saw them talk. I'm like obsessed and on every content about Chelsea and Joe Koy, but she was just like, You've always had a crush on me and he's like, no, I did n't, and she's like, hiss, you did, but we had a Riffin wrap. I don't know, it's just it's cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's segue into this week's what would Sister Peg Do. I just wanted to highlight I found this Instagram account a while ago and I still fall of them.
Speaker 2: It's Her Whole Truth is what it's called.
Speaker 1: It's Instagram dot com forward slash Her Whole Truth w h O l E Truth, and it highlights stories and challenges of women on death Row and it's basically aiming to end the cycle of trauma and find out women's truths. So I just they were doing a lot to try to get a stay of execution for this woman that I've mentioned before who committed a horrible crime but also had a horrific upbringing. And there they're constantly sort of trying to end this cycle of violence that leads women to commit crimes that then they are punished for with capital punishment. So I think it's a good follow and they have more resources over there.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. Yeah, this podcast is not for capital punishment. If you were wondering, So next week's episode, we're doing one of the best, one of the faves, one of the classics. I can't believe we finally get to talk about it. Taboo Seasons, episode fourteen fourteen divided by two is seven. It is magical, So enjoy that on peacock, Hulu or wherever you're catching up on SVU episodes, And as always, we're so happy that you listen and enjoy us. Keep us researching horrific crimes day in and day out.
Speaker 1: And feel free to dm us with your episode suggestions, and some people are sending us merch suggestions. We love talking to you guys, so yeah, send us messages and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Clank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to Yes for You, super fan and our incredible producer, Hannah Kyle Kraton.
Speaker 1: And to our sound engineer and personal hero, Analise Nilson.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Koperski for our theme song.
Speaker 1: To Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thanks to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. If you're an advertiser interested in advertising on our show, go to midroll dot com slash ads Done. Done