Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another edition of the KSR pre Show. Today is Wednesday, May twenty eighth. I am Billy Rutland along with Shannon the Dude. You can give us a call on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. That's eight five nine two eight oho two two eight seven, Texas at five oh two two sixty five six six five six and is always The KSR pre Show is brought to you by Italics Fine Italian dining right here in Lexington, Kentucky. My co host, Shannon the Dude is in Lexington and he has no weaknesses, folks. He is the perfect person. He is here ready to go. Good morning, Shannon.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: I can go ahead and point out your weaknesses, and that is you already screwed up where I'm at.
Speaker 2: I'm not in Lexington. I'm in Louisville, Billy. I said I was in Lexington, and might not say you were in.
Speaker 3: LUI said that I am in Lexington. I believe that's what you said.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Maybe my weakness is I don't listen to you, but I would say that's a strength. Actually, sometimes it's better not to listen to your co host, especially when he's Billy our sports. How you doing, Buddy, I'm good, I'm good. Guntor Mike's landing sirt On We're going there later this year.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for Soul for Greek as much as anybody. I love Mike's landing. Last year we did the Newlyweds game there. If you remember that, Shannon, in which I won, you did you know? Not a weakness of mine knowing my co host, but it may be of yours.
Speaker 2: Well, don't to You's right, that's why I don't you don't win Newlywed game.
Speaker 1: Well, uh, maybe you'll listen today and thank you for listening. If you are out there listening on the radio dial or on the iHeartRadio app eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven if you'd like to join us. Uh, Channon, do you ever do you ever think about your brain just you know, not working and you saying something stupid on the air once or twice because I have that fear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean when you're on the air as much as I am, it's almost impossible for it not to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, like literally the beginning where I just said you were in Lexington like that didn't register in my mind. And that's just such a fear of mine that I'm gonna black out and say something that I don't remember, and it's gonna get me canceled.
Speaker 2: Sull.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, you know, you doing a live show, would hope to have a good producer who would take care of you and hit the dump button if that were to happen, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but what if the producer doesn't listen to what you're saying? It's true?
Speaker 3: What if the producer is also the host, and you know, is doing three different things and answering a phone call and doesn't hear you say that. You know, I would think that you would, you know, maybe jump in there and save yourself.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, that's always a fear.
Speaker 3: Man. That's that's live radio. Everybody thinks they're doing live radio when they're doing a podcast. That's not radio. All right, No, it's not even close. If you can go back and dust it up, you know, and like take all the blemishes out of it, then that's not live radio.
Speaker 2: The beauty of live radio.
Speaker 3: Anything could happen in live radio, and I think it makes you, I think it makes you better something live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about you, but I mean, there was just such a nervousness and a fear of the first year or so of doing it. But then you get comfortable and that red light comes on and it's just like talking with your friends. But then then some some times that brain just still stops working, Shannon. So I don't think you ever fully grow out of it, and I'm sure.
Speaker 2: You've had a moment. Well.
Speaker 3: The art is being comfortable without being too comfortable, because when you get too.
Speaker 2: Comfortable, that's when those things happen.
Speaker 1: We know, our guy Ryan Lemon, it's a little too comfortable every now and then and we'll have to use the dumb button on him. Speaking of our guy Ryan, how about him breaking his nose over the weekend but breathing better afterwards. Somehow it knocked his nose into the right place where he's breathing a little better, but face planning into the handle of his trash can as he was trying.
Speaker 2: To move it up under the curb over the way.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to visualize how that even happens, because like my trash can comes up to, you know, like my stomach carrier maybe a little bit higher.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm just trying to visualize.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm on the grass, I've got my trash can, and I'm pushing it towards the driveway, which has a little gap in between, and I'm just trying to figure out how it would be physically possible for me in that moment to break my nose on the handles way down here. I guess Ryan's a little bit shorter, so maybe it comes up higher on him, right, so maybe that checks out.
Speaker 2: But still, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like that takes some true talent to break your nose on the side of a garbage can.
Speaker 2: I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm saying maybe it helps the sleep apnea. But our guy Ryan had a little bit of an eventful weekend, and not only that, I thought we might be getting rid of the Android phone. Finally, Shannon, he breaks his phone over the weekend. But yet he says he's not getting an iPhone upgrade, He's getting the Android. Yeah, and you know, we've had these issues for years. But after was Matt said on the air the other day that there's actually a security risk of group chats with an Android phone. With a bunch of iPhones, Shannon, maybe we do need to finally kick him out of the group.
Speaker 3: Cho Well, here's what I was hearing yesterday from Ryan. It sounds like to me that he spends more money on the insurance of his phone than the insurance of his own body. And if you're ensuring an android with more money than you are your own health, I think that's a problem right there to begin with. So, you know, we got to make sure that Ryan has his priority.
Speaker 2: Is in check. You've got to make sure that he is insured more than that stupid android phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's much more important than protecting what's on the phone. But I relate with Ryan. I mean, how many times do you sign something after reading the fine print, Shannon? I mean the Apple terms and conditions, the you know, even like you know you should read your contract, Shannon, but there are times when you just go ahead and you sign.
Speaker 2: It, right, I mean, not a contract, a contract.
Speaker 1: I'll read a contract maybe a little different than maybe the the Apple app store.
Speaker 2: What you're agreeing to every time?
Speaker 3: Down the conditions, the terms and conditions. Everybody's just going You're just wiping down to the bottom so you can check the box. Right, nobody's reading all that stuff, And who knows. I mean, you have to sign it anyway to you know, get the phone, or to get whatever app on the phone that you want. So you're signing away a lot of your privacy. And I think you realize that anyway, if you're online, if you have any social media presence at all, or an email address, your information is already out there. That's why I don't understand why people freak out when the security breach. Oh my gosh, they have my information. Look, anybody could people find out where I live and send me foreign money on the internet. Okay, it's like there is no privacy. Privacy does not exist. Once you lou on the Yeah, once you go on the internet for the first time, your prophecy is gone.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You go on a website and you accept cookies to join the website, I'm sure that's tracking me somehow.
Speaker 3: She don't even know what that means too, That says cookies, What do you mean like chocolate? Yeah, I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that is something we'll look back on that maybe we signed away a little too easily. But speaking of fine print, I watched one of the first episodes of the new season of Black Mirror, Shannon, are you a Black Mirror fan?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I watched like one or two episodes, and I just I feel like that's one of those series that I should be into, but I just never really got into it very much.
Speaker 2: It's so good, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's it's about the dystopian future and how technology can have these negative side effects and not reading the fine print went a long way in one of the new episodes. So I can't recommend it enough. It is a good show if you're looking for something on Netflix, but read the fine print, folks, even though I probably won't.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you what?
Speaker 3: I started watching the record at the recommendation of Ryan yesterday. Ryan's getting all kinds of talk in this first segment, I guess, so you know, he recommended the new pee Wee Herman documentary, and as someone who grew up watching Peewee's Playhouse as a kid, I was interested in it. And it's it's actually pretty good. It's a two part series. I don't know if you really call that a series. It's just a two part thing documentary, I guess, two part documentary, and like the first one is an hour and a half long, so I haven't gotten through that first one yet. It's alone, but it's interesting seeing the guy who was like type cast it as pee wee Herman. Right, Nobody, even a lot of people didn't even know his real name because he kind of played one character his entire career after that, and he was.
Speaker 2: Talking about an identity crisis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it shows like he was on like the Dating Game. Did you know that pee wee Herman is on the Dating Game? He actually did. I think he created the character pee Wee Herman by doing an improv stand up. He had to do like the each person in this improv group had to go up and perform like a comedy routine, but you had to create a character. And he created this character, pee Wee Herman, and it took off. It was such a big deal that then he ended up having his own kid show.
Speaker 2: Imagine that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a little different with Shannon the Dude, right, Shannon the Dude's not that much different on the radio than Shannon Griggs be in real life. But like when you create this completely different persona and it launches you into superstardom where you have to act like that character all the time. I mean, that has got to be just an insane way to go about life. You know, pe wee Herman's kind of like a fever dream for me.
Speaker 2: Shannon.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I could say I was super into it since I was born in ninety five, but like my dad showed me the movies, and I have these dreams of large Marge, like like eyeballs popping out of her head and like just kind of like these odd moments. It was such a weird show, but it did connect with a pretty big audience. So you're saying I should check that documentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and it's genius because people didn't know is this a like is pee wee Herman? Like who this guy really is or not? And you couldn't tell. He blurred the line so well. It was kind of like an Andy Kaufman thing.
Speaker 2: You know. He would be into character all.
Speaker 3: The time, and even when we go out, he would go out in public and not be doing pee wee Herman. He would have to kind of be pee wee Herman because that's what everybody thought.
Speaker 2: He was who everybody thought that he actually was.
Speaker 3: In real life, and he played that character so well that people didn't know is that really him?
Speaker 2: Does he really talk like that? Does he really act like that all the time.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, you know, like Rick Flair had to be Rick Flair all the time, mm hmm, you know, the million dollar man. He had that persona, so he had to live that lifestyle even when he wasn't on screen, so that the public would see him the same way they see them on TV.
Speaker 1: And that's got to be exhausting. And that's what I'm getting to like, how can you act like that?
Speaker 2: That charade?
Speaker 1: Now a little bit of a different lane here, there are some actors that are known as method actor shann where they just take everything way too seriously, and even when the cameras go off, they still act like the person they're portraying.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's been some reports in this new upcoming movie about John Madden that is I think it's Nick Cage and Christian Bale are playing John Madden and Al Davis and their method acting this out, and the cast and crew apparently are just sick and tired of these guys because you know, they're they're acting like these characters, but then when the lights and camera goes off, there's still being assholes right there.
Speaker 2: Still being whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. But did you drop that shit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you should probably see we were talking about it.
Speaker 2: Look at that we're talking about it, and then it happens on the first segment that button works. How does that have to dump you? What's morning radio?
Speaker 1: Shannon's It's got to do a little bit of a different vibe than most conversations. I can't believe we had I just had that while we were talking about it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you need to take a moment. Do you need to like get some fresh air?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm fine. I just you know, as happened to some people in years, and I just do it.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to talk about a segment that doesn't make you want to say cuss words on the air at nine o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even really a cuss word.
Speaker 3: It was I was just looking up. We were talking about the Pewee Harman documentary. Do you realize that, you know, some of these shows have such an impact on culture, but that you look them up and you don't even realize or I didn't, at least that it was a short run and only it was only on the air for four years, and it felt like it was on for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Really it was only on for four.
Speaker 3: Peewee's playoffs aired from nineteen eighty six to nineteen ninety, making it a four year run.
Speaker 2: That's it, only four years.
Speaker 1: Did you say nineteen ninety six to nineteen ninety eighty six?
Speaker 2: Eighty six to ninety.
Speaker 1: Okay, So maybe that's why I remember the movies much more than the actual show. There was like a talking chair or something like that in the show. Yeah, it was Cherry.
Speaker 2: It's like a fever dream. It's all kind of coming back to me.
Speaker 3: I think the movies, yeah, it makes it, you know, it adds to the longevity of it. But the you know Saturday Morning show was only four or four years running.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that long, But then you got the movies.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, in your mind thinks makes it seem longer than what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's it's weird the things that you remember. But I'll have to check out a little pee wee Herman. It is otega Oway Day, Shane, and we should mention that it is decision day for Otegah. He has until eleven fifty nine tonight to withdraw from the NBA Draft and officially a return back to Kentucky. At least that's the hope for many listening to this show. Right now, there's some new reporting that has come out. Matt Norlander is reporting that always feedback over the last couple of days has been overwhelmingly positive. So while Norlander still expects Otega away to come back to Kentucky, there are some reports that the feedback is good. And then Darryl Bird is down in Florida for the sec ME and he had a report on the Cats pause that Oa has one final workout today with an NBA team before he will make his final decision. Shannon, does any of this new news change your opinion on what you think Otega will.
Speaker 3: Do later today? No, I think he's still coming back at Kentucky. But I think he's getting every last drop out of this experience that he can, as he should, right because he's going to go back again next year after this upcoming season and go through the process again. So I think that if you have the opportunity to work out for the NBA teams, you should work out for every team that you have that opportunity for, because who knows, this last team that he's working out for today very well could be the team that ends up drafting him next year. So why would you not go at least through that process. You're already in the process. He's you know, he's all in. I don't think that you just if you're going to test the waters, you just go, well, I'm going to do it with this team and this team, but not the other teams.
Speaker 2: I think that would be foolish to do that.
Speaker 3: So now that you're already in the the process, she might as well work out.
Speaker 2: For every team that you have the opportunity for.
Speaker 3: And I think that's smart on his point on his part, but I don't think that it's going to change his mind, and I think he will be announcing later on today that he's coming back to Kentucky.
Speaker 1: When your dream is to make the NBA, Like you said, Shannon, I think it's foolish to not explore every avenue. And that's what otega Oway is doing. And I love to hear that the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. That means he will be even a bigger contributor for Kentucky next year if he does decide to return. But if he doesn't, Shannon, I mean, what do you think about this roster? I mean, where are you at with what Mark Pope has without Oteka?
Speaker 2: If that was the decision, I'm kind of on.
Speaker 1: The verge of it's near a top ten roster without him. With him, it could be a top five, top three. Do you agree with that or do you think a little differently.
Speaker 3: I think he has a big impact, more so than what we knew this time last year, right especially going through the season and realizing, Okay, this is the guy that's putting the team on his back and scoring double digits and nearly every game throughout the season. If he doesn't come back, I mean, they still have a great team, but they need him. Let's not split here. I mean, let's be rull about it. They need Otega away for next season. If he doesn't come back, there's still a top twenty five team. I don't know if I'm going to say top ten, still a top twenty five, but I think that this team will be centered around Otega oway and if he doesn't come back, then you have to lean on the experience of your other guys that you had in the transfer portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is bizarre.
Speaker 1: I mean, just think about like a year and a half ago, this guy's transferring from Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: I mean, do we.
Speaker 1: Even really know who this guy is? But he ends up scoring double digits in all but two games, game winners against Oklahoma twice. Man, he was the heart and soul of this team in a lot of ways, And you're right, I mean, it just takes on a completely different vibe if he were to come back. I mean, you're looking at a SEC preseason player of the year, possibility, first team All SEC. And I'm excited. I'm excited for the kid. Whatever he decides to do. I think he's got a very bright, few mature but these Cats fans would love him back, and you know, he would be.
Speaker 2: Embraced again by this fan base.
Speaker 1: Of of course he would so exciting news possibly coming later today with otega Oway Hey five nine two eight oh two two eight seven Texas five o two two six five six six five six.
Speaker 2: I'll try not to cuss the rest of the show. Do you have any more cuss words? No, No, it's fine. I just wanted to test the dump button. I mean, i'd assume it works.
Speaker 1: I don't know well it better. I mean, you're the producer. You got one job over there. If you could do that, I'll slow down.
Speaker 2: I got more. You're the one with one job.
Speaker 1: No, no, listen, I need to call you out a second saying I don't do anything for twenty three hours yesterday when we were talking about the Matt Jones show.
Speaker 2: You guys were on KSR. That was factual.
Speaker 1: Please Shannon, listen, GM Billy is going to make sure you don't get that speaking role in the next movie. If that's the case, we'll take a break and be right back here on the KSR pre show. Okay, this is pee Wee. I could tell by this random scream there.
Speaker 3: You know, like that's one of those shows I watched as a kid.
Speaker 2: And I what am I even watching? Like what even is this?
Speaker 3: And I'm watching it now like I don't even understand, Like what how did this even become a show?
Speaker 2: It's just so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does seem like it's a show that's on drugs or something like it was.
Speaker 3: It was so eighties, it was very eighties comedy.
Speaker 2: We yeah, we we heard the pee wee Herman scream. There. Podcast listeners got the scream of Matt.
Speaker 1: Yesterday with no music played that country song and he decided to do the scream too. It's it's actually been a lot of fun listening to the out of content singing of like Matt and you guys on KSR without the podcast music. But I know you miss it, and that's a big part of what you do, Shannon. So unfortunately people don't get to hear that. That's why you have to listen live.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you get the you know, Matt reacting to the he hal song Gloom to Spare and agony on me, That's.
Speaker 2: What it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good stuff A five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. The Pacers got it done last night against the Next one thirty to one twenty one, and I kind of knew that was going to happen, Shannon. After I saw that Tyrese Haliburton's dad was back in the building, the band was lifted. He was allowed to go watch his son play, and Tyrese did something that no other NBA player has ever done. Thirty three points, fifteen assists, twelve rebounds and zero turnovers. He is the first player in NBA history in the conference finals to have a triple double without zero or with zero turnovers. He's been incredible, Shannon. And since the NBA players voted him the most overrated player in the league, that is his peers making that decision. He has been an exceptional player. No, there's no doubt, yep, he has been. We just need to keep Dad over there on the sidelines. Like, Dad, you don't belong on the floor.
Speaker 3: Don't be coming out here talking trash after we beat the Knicks, you know, just know your role, Dad, So that's my main focus. But yah, Halliburton has been great, no doubt about it. And now it's a three to one series.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Actually both series are three to one. So do you think that the Thunder close it out tonight?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I think Okasee is the team to beat the year and unfortunate that the Knicks couldn't make it two to two, but we'll get at least one more game in Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 2: That's right, yep.
Speaker 3: And you can bet it all on DraftKings promo code KSR. If you're a new customer, bet five dollars. If your first bet hits, you're gonna get three hundred dollars in bonus bets.
Speaker 2: That's the deal right now.
Speaker 3: When you sign up with Promo code KSR on DraftKings, you can do live betting, same game parlays, player props. The possibilities and comminations are endless with DraftKings and you get fast and easy payouts. Promo code KSR for new customers bet five first bet hits, you get three hundred dollars in bonus bets.
Speaker 2: The crowd as yours.
Speaker 3: If you have a gambling problem, call winning one hundred Gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restrictions apply. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issueance for additional terms, Responsible gaming resources, SEEDKNG, dot co, slash Audio.
Speaker 1: So tonight you can watch Shay Gil Just Alexander take on Julius Randall. Julius Randall was a player that was traded from the Knicks to the Timberwolves, and he recently made some comments that drew some questions. Shannon said about talk about playing in New York that it's not fun. You can't really focus on the game. You're focused on everything else other than the game itself. You're living and dying with every single shot, every single turnover, every single loss.
Speaker 2: Probably that sounds pretty dramatically.
Speaker 3: In New York delay in New York kidding me. I mean, I've realized there's a lot going on there. But I mean, you're a professional athlete. You should be able to be focused enough on the game for a few hours to be able to go out there and not feel like you're distracted by everything that's New York, wouldn't you think, right?
Speaker 1: I mean, right, if you're a professional athlete, you're not distracted by the fans, right, you should ultimately be in a bubble.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But they mean these are humans, right, I mean they I mean I.
Speaker 3: Guess like for somebody you know, you think coming and right out of college, which he's not right out of college, but for you know, rookies that are imagine going from you know, a midwestern school to New York City, I mean that's a culture shock and the lifestyle is completely different there.
Speaker 1: And like let's take Kentucky out of the equation, Like even western Kentucky. You've got maybe three four reporters there and two of them are students. Right, It's they's softball questions. They want to make you look good so they can write stories and they can continue to get access to the program.
Speaker 2: New York Man, they're like, you know, why are you so.
Speaker 1: Awful at basketball? Like why are you out at the club last night? Shouldn't you be working on your jump shot? How does professional basketball miss a free or professional basketball player missed this many free throws? Like I'm sure, yeah, I mean ask Mitchell Robinson. He's getting some of that treatment in New York right now. So, like it's I'm sure it is tough.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It can be a ruthless media market. But to hear Julius Randall say it ain't fun and you're living and dying with every single shot, you gotta think that's really tough on somebody's mental If you're trying to find success in a place.
Speaker 2: Like that, he's gotta be tough.
Speaker 3: I mean's's I mean you think Kentucky's like that to a degree. Yeah, I mean the spotlight's on you. You know it's going to be when you're in New York and playing for the Knicks as well. But yeah, Kentucky, it's tough, especially you know at the even younger age, talking about kids coming straight out of high school and now all of a sudden, you're the focus everywhere you go. You know, there's fans that recognize you.
Speaker 2: And what and when is it at Kentucky? We can't hide you here. That's right. This place isn't for everyone. This isn't for everyone. That's right.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna take a break. Much more on the way on this Wednesday edition of the show. Before the show, the Casurpre Show, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: It is the KSR Pre Show, Billy and the Dude. It's Wednesday, May twenty eighth, and we've got a little pumpkin action in the garden.
Speaker 2: I saw Shannon the Dude post a picture yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yep, we got the leaves have sprouted up or something's happening. I'm not sure what's happening, but we got something green coming out of the garden.
Speaker 2: So that's good. Something green, that's good.
Speaker 3: I saw it actually pushed up one of the seeds that was open, and there was a seed just sitting on top of the leaf. I go, I don't know what that means, So I just took this. They can put it back in the ground. Apparently you put it back apparently, like the thing that was supposed to sprout already came out of it. And I guess that was maybe that that leave came out of that seed. I didn't realize it. So look, I'm just trying to figure this out as I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're just crossing our fingers helping these pumpkins sproud at the right time.
Speaker 3: Throw a little miracle grow on it, maybe some water, and we'll just see what happens from there. And I guess next step is we've got to have some flowers that come on there. Then once the flowers start blooming out, then you get the pumpkins.
Speaker 2: Right. That always works.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you know what you're doing, So you just keep as posted control of this guy. I'm excited to carve a homemade Shannon the Dude pumpkin.
Speaker 2: When October comes around this year.
Speaker 1: Today is the last day of classes for many high schools across Kentucky, including Fayette County.
Speaker 2: Uh So, summer's officially here.
Speaker 1: If Memorial Day wasn't the unofficial kickoff when the kids are done for school, summer really is here, and teaching is an interesting dynamics Shannon, right, I mean, you work hard, so hard with children for many months and then you get summer breakof would you like a summer break?
Speaker 2: Like, would you like that cycle?
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure that can be a little vicious waiting all year for summer to come around.
Speaker 2: You're talking about like if I were in school.
Speaker 1: Or just like right now, Like let's say you have to work with children for you know, eight or nine months out of the year, but you get three months off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like to have three months off. I mean, I guess some people even get three months off if they work in radio, if you're certain people. I don't get that. I get like I get my.
Speaker 2: Four weeks off because I've been here for twenty one years and that's that's plenty. That's what you get.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think, you know, a good break for teachers is necessary, a good three month break just to kind of get away from it all. And it's good for the kids too, right. I Mean at this point though, a lot of schools, it seems like, are nearly going year round because they're making up for snow days.
Speaker 2: Snow days, Yeah, what are they called NTI days? Is that what it is? Where they? Well?
Speaker 1: Or is anyone you're on the right that has taken the place of a lot of snow days, right, instead of being able to go out on the sled and enjoy your actual day, they'll say, you have an NTI day and you have to sit on your computer all day, which is a shame, Shannon, you know, I mean, it's it's just how the times have changed, and COVID definitely made that a lot worse. But you know, you kind of you work all week for the weekend, right, and you'll work eight or nine months for the summer vacation. So salute to our teachers and hopefully this last day goes easy for you. But I do have a little bit of a fair or foul regarding teachers. Sure, I just get ready for this one. There's a senior at Northeastern University that is asking for a tuition refund after busting her professor for using chat GPT. So normally it's the other way around when students are using chat GPT to write a paper or anything like this, but it was actually the professor was using AI generated images that appeared to be distorted and even people with extra limbs in the professor's lectures. After a little bit of digging, the student learned that the professor had been using AI tools but not telling the students about it. So they were using it in their curriculum and all the things that they were teaching the students, but all the while the professor demanded the students not to use AI. So the student is filing a complaint and requesting a refund of more than eight thousand dollars intuition costs for the course. The professor acknowledged the use of AI and admitted that he should have looked closer at the material, but the refund was refused by the school. So, Shannon fairrofoul or do you think that this student should get a refund for finding out their professor was using AI.
Speaker 2: Let's do as I say, not as I do.
Speaker 3: Right, If you're the professor, you're telling all these students you cannot use chet GPT, yet the professor is doing exactly that. I think the students got a good argument here. I mean, if it were the other way around and the professor found out the student was using chat GPT, probably expelled, expelled, the test.
Speaker 2: The test fell the great, whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think you know, if you're gonna say, you know, it's cheating for the students to do it. I don't think a professor should be able to take a short cut either, so I think it's a valid argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, if the professor was upfront and said, hey, I'm using AI to help with my power points, to help with the even the content that you know, I'm using for you to learn, then I think it would be fine. But when you ask your students not to use AI and in turn you are using it to present material, I just that doesn't seem right.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking how much easier class would have been having chet GPT.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, I mean it's not even class at that.
Speaker 3: I it's you can and if you were smart, you would use it to write your paper for you and then just put it in your own words and there's your paper. Right.
Speaker 2: How hard is that?
Speaker 1: It's it's gotten even worse now you type in, you know, write an essay for me as a you know, a low a student that could not be found out using AI tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, so do you just enter differently into the prompt and it's going to change it? And as much advancement as we've seen an AI over the last couple of years, Shannon, I gotta think, I mean, how are they going to be able to stop this?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't know that. I don't think you can.
Speaker 3: I mean, once the tooth pastes out of the tube, you can't put it back in. And I think that's kind of the situation with AI, Like the farther and farther we go along with the advancements of AI.
Speaker 2: How do you stop it?
Speaker 3: I don't think you can, Like, there's no way that I know that a professor could go. I mean, I guess you could go and try to enter in the same thing that you think that the student may have, you know, entered it for a prompt on chat GBT, but.
Speaker 2: Sure it's yeah, I don't I don't know. It's really tough to figure that out. Yeah, I guess. I guess.
Speaker 1: The The counter argument is, you are doing a disservice to yourself using chat comployees.
Speaker 3: Do you think I cared? All I cared about was do I have an AB or a C next to my name?
Speaker 1: That well, that's that's the problem with the education system in this country. And this is not the right show for this, And I get into that that's more.
Speaker 3: For I just I just wanted to get I just wanted to get to college and play baseball.
Speaker 2: That was it. Let me play baseball.
Speaker 1: I took three years of Spanish, I could barely speak a word.
Speaker 2: Let's be part of it.
Speaker 3: Let's be completely real about it. What you and I are doing right now. You went to Western Kentucky. So you went to school for broadcasting.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 3: I learned under the you know, tutelage of Tony Venetti. You know, he was my professor in radio. He was I mean, like you know, he was doing all the rock station stuff, and he was the guy that I was learning under, uh for a good part of my career. Then he went into sports radio. Then I went to sports radio as well. So in a way, my career has sort of mirrored his. And you know, I didn't have to go to school for it. So you know, I played baseball four years, went to college.
Speaker 2: Didn't take anything really that I learned in college.
Speaker 3: Here now, I will say it did help me get this career because I was able to intern at the radio station through the college, which I would not have had the opportunity. So basically I paid a good amount of money to do an internship to get into radio.
Speaker 2: Well, it's about leaving the nest.
Speaker 1: It's about you know, growing on your own and finding these opportunities. So you know, cynically, you could look at hey, you know, nothing I did in college led to me to be in my career, But Shannon, I would disagree. I would say, you would not be who you are today if.
Speaker 2: You didn't do them.
Speaker 3: The best class I took that helped with what we do now is was it Lindsay Wilson My freshman year? It was public speaking? And I still hate public speaking, believe it or not. Like the radio to me isn't public speaking. But if you said, like, you know, I want you to come do a speech, I would hate to do that. I don't like. I don't enjoy that at all. Like I know that Matt goes around and does these speaking engagements. I think he has one coming up soon. Yeah maybe today.
Speaker 2: I think it's tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe today. But you know that's not me. Like I don't enjoy doing that type of thing. I don't like to be asked to do that type of thing. You know, I can go out and do a remote in front of three hundred people and be fine, But I you know, that's not a speech, that's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the public speaking is different, Like you got note cards, you're trying to make eye contact with people. Your body language is very important. You know, we do a radio show in a remote. You know, sometimes we're sitting, sometimes we're standing. You know, it's much more of a conversation, and we're trying to be entertainers. And that's much different than like, I have a pointed message i'd like to get.
Speaker 2: Across, but don't ask me to do that. I'm not doing that. I'd like to hear.
Speaker 1: No, Shannon, maybe you can give us a speech or a tutorial on how to grow pumpkins. Maybe a few months from now, would you be able to break it down for us, maybe create a PowerPoint.
Speaker 3: So maybe so you know, like you know, like when a president though does a speech, there's teleprompters there teleprompters. You know, it's different if I'm reading off a teleprompter, I guess, but I would just feel like, you know, am I being entertaining enough if I'm just reading off a teleprompter?
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't like.
Speaker 3: Listen to people public speaking. I don't like I just don't enjoy it. Unless somebody I'm I'm really interested in, which the amount of people that I'm really interested in enough to sit there and listen to somebody talk for an hour that exists in this world is probably like I don't know, two three maybe well.
Speaker 1: You know, I think we were talking about public speaking, and I think of our guy Ryan Lemon again. I mean, he goes out there and does public speaking in front of the engineering conference here in Lexington about engineering, has no idea about engineering and really doesn't know what he's going to talk about, I think until he gets up there. And so that's a nice career. There is an art to it, and the bad jokes that he delivered. I think that day eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. There were some big news in the Kentucky sports world when offensive line coach Eric Woolford signed a new one year contract extension with the Kentucky football team, and he also got one hundred thousand dollars raise, so he will now make nine hundred thousand dollars this year. Shannon he was with Kentucky in twenty twenty one. He left in the middle of a recruiting trip to go join Nick Saban in Alabama for two years. He is now back at Kentucky and this will be year three overall with the Cats. Year two in this stint. Before I give my take, Shannon, tell me what you thought your initial reaction when Eric Wolford got the contract extension.
Speaker 3: Well, I know this is Stoop's buddy and he's going to take care of his buddies. And you know, I understand that, like you probably would too if you were the head coach you had the chance to get one of your your good friends and assistant a coach paid more money, you would probably do it for them. But do I think that it's deserved. No, not at a one hundred thousand dollars raise, Billy, what were they? What was the offensive line ranked last year? Like, you know, if you're gonna get a raise, you have to be able to show results. You have to be able to show that you earn that money. But this just seems to be a one hundred thousand dollars raised just because. And boy would I love to have one of those. But no, I don't think it's deserved at all. And I know that offensive line was not ranked highly. I don't know the number. I want to say, like well.
Speaker 1: The last thing image of the offensive line last year Minci at the concession stand for better or for worse. I mean, this is you know, Kentucky has tried to reinvent the big Blue wall and it just has not worked. And this is a guy that's already spurned Stoops to a degree, leaving for Alabama the first time he was I believe his college roommate back in the day, and and Stoops has since in the last few years hired his brother and his college roommates. So you could look at that from afar and think maybe he's gotten complacent, you know, maybe he is not doing things the same way he was early in his tenure. But I want to reserve judgment. I I hate to kill a guy on the air, Shanon. That's just that's just not who I am. Like, I'm I'm not gonna you know, listen, that was dumped. I I don't want to come on here and say, like somebody should be fired. I don't think that's my role or my job. I didn't say that either, but but I want to. I want to be clear about this. We have not seen the development needed from the offensive line to justify this race. Now, Eric Wolford is somebody that is what I've heard is a very good recruiter, a big part of the talent that has come in over the last couple of years. And it looks like he's done a pretty good job of bringing in a new crop of recruits this year for the rotating offensive line or even the skill players. I know he's very involved with that. So if you look at it from one hundred mile view, Shan, and if you think that player development is in the past and the only thing that matters is recruiting and getting guys every single year from the transfer portal, then yes, I see this is absolutely a good move. Eric Wolford seems to be a personable guy that can relate with young kids. But if you're looking for player development, he has not showed over the last five years that he can go from the one year to the next improving guys, playing backups, and putting the offensive line in good situations. That's just my take showing yep, and I agree with most of that.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I just don't think that that offensive line has shown that it's good enough for the coach to be paid an extra one hundred thousand dollars for one year.
Speaker 1: Well, neither is the tight ends coach, Vince Merrow. What production have we gotten from tight ends over the.
Speaker 3: Last five You want to talk about recruiters, I mean I think that a good part of those roster wouldn't be here if it weren't for Vince Merril.
Speaker 2: So I'll take up for Vince.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I mean. That's my point is they can have these titles of offensive line coach and tight ends coach, but what they do as recruiters, I think ultimately is what gets them these raises and why there's some of the highest paid assistants.
Speaker 3: Maybe so, but again I think a lot of this is how much just the tight end utilized in the offense. Not much, not much. No, So is that Vince Merrill's fault, No, he's not the one.
Speaker 1: I think there has to be some blame for the development and the uses of tight ends from the tight end coach, Shannon. I mean, you don't just get absolved from that because the offense doesn't throw to tight ends enough. But look, we're people that you know, we do this from pretty far away from the football program. So take what we say with a grain of salt. But there is a lot of negative reaction from the Eric Wolford contract extension. I'm here to tell you, if the way of the future is just recruiting the next guy, then this could be a good move.
Speaker 2: But if you're looking.
Speaker 1: At player development, I just haven't seen enough from Eric.
Speaker 3: Another thing I would say about Vince Marrow is, if anything he has shown that he is loyal to this program, can Eric Wolford say that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's why I think.
Speaker 3: You know, that's another reason I think that Vince Merrow, who could have left this program at a long time ago, multiple different times, has always stuck with Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It always seems like there's a job out there. Yeah, Vince is in the running for right.
Speaker 2: And where's Vince. He's at Kentucky. Yeah, big dogs still here. He's a guy I would want to go into the trenches with so even.
Speaker 1: More pressure for this team to produce, to win, to make a bowl game this year, because when you're giving assistance contract extensions in the middle of the offseason, it just doesn't make a ton of sense. But we need to take a break eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. We will be right back for one final segment. Here on the Ksippre Show, Welcome back. It's our final segment here on a Wednesday, Billy and the Dude. Not too long of a segment here after we went a little long on the Eric Wolford Conversation. Let's take our first phone call to day. Grandma Sarah is on the line. Good morning, Grandma Sarah.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm fine? Thank you. Two quick things for Shannon. One right off, in case you didn't know what you probably do, Lindsay WHISTLM. Lindsey Wilson College has now been changed to Lindsay Wilson University.
Speaker 2: I did not know that. No, I wasn't aware of that.
Speaker 4: I think it is changing either the first of June or the end of June. It's coming up in a few weeks, so you can say you went to a university. Okay. The other thing is I've never grown pumpkins, but I know a little bit about them. The vines. I'm going to be listening all summer to get a report on the radio comut. But those vines may go all over your backyard, if it's in your corner of your yard, they grow, I mean they are very long. And these people, these people that grow these big punkins that take to the fair. Okay, when they only have when they start blooming, they'll only have one bloom on the plant for the one for the big punkin. So you might experiment a little bit. Take one of your plants and just when they start blooming, just have one bloom on it for all the nursehment to go to that one, you know punkin.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, you're saying, take all the other blooms off and just have one just to take all the other ones in their own Okay, Okay, yeah, you might.
Speaker 4: Not want to do that on all of them because I don't know may plant you got, but you might just experiment on one just to see what happens. That one punkin should be getting all the nursehment and it should be your big pupkin.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Just keep it well watered and fertilized all summer and see where your vines go.
Speaker 3: They may go everywhere, taking those vines and just directing them towards my neighbor's part of the garden.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you they do. That's yeah, the vines you will you'll see a thank you too.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sarah. Yes, my neighbor's gonna be hating me. But you know what, that's all right.
Speaker 2: You have to deal with it. He won't if he throws a fit about it, he won't get any pumpkins. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just don't know what you're gonna do when all the critters start coming around, the raccoons and the deer and pumpkins.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be out there with my lovell slugger. Get your defending the pumpkins, to put some traps out or something. I don't speaking speaking of calling, and I did enjoy the guy that called into KSR yesterday who was an employer calling out Landing for not coming into work. Landing's listening to the show every day for five years, so I know you're listening out there.
Speaker 2: Landing, come in to work. We need you. Thought that was pretty good with the Wooly Worm Festival. Is that what it was? I don't remember that, but it was.
Speaker 1: It's a great way to find somebody to call out your employer, or somebody call out somebody that didn't show up for the work.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just call me next time I do that.
Speaker 3: What kind of job do you have where you just don't show up because you got a lady. I mean that's what he was insinuating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe your priorities change and you realize the lady is what's important is woly Worm was more important than us.
Speaker 3: There it is promo code KSR bet five dollars, get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your first bet hits again. That's for new customers only on DraftKings only with promo code KSR Gambling problem wanting one hundred gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only.
Speaker 2: Eligibility restrictions apply. Bet must win to receive reward.
Speaker 3: Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms responsible gaming resources see DKNG, dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 1: If you're coming to the Lexington Golf Scramble on Friday, bring your raincoat. Looks like it might get a little forecast of rain, but we're still gonna have a good time.
Speaker 2: YEP. For Shannon the.
Speaker 1: Dude, I'm Billy Rutlis. This has been the KSR pre show. KSRS Next, we will talk to you tomorrow