Speaker 1: It's topic time.
Speaker 2: So eight hundred and five five one five one to join into the discussion with the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Morning everybody, It's DJ Envy Charlamagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club now if you're just joining us. We were talking about something in Front Page News earlier today. It was the fact that Florida Border Education approves new Black history standards that teach house slaves develop skills for their personal benefit. So we were talking about, since they're pulling pretty much Black history out of schools now and pulling out the books and don't want to teach Black history, what do we need to do as a community to make sure that our young kids actually know what went on in black history and the future generation and how do we educate them?
Speaker 4: That was the question that we were having this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, like I said earlier, you know, you can't depend on white institutions to teach teach our kids. You know, that is something the Nation of Islam and other great black leaders have been telling us since the beginning of time. For me, I feel like we just got to encourage our kids to read. You know, we have to recommend books for them to read. I was blessed to have a mother who was a Jehovah's witness and an English teacher, so you know, she kept the Bible in my face and watched Howers and Awake.
Speaker 1: So that was the first little child was exposed to.
Speaker 2: Then we had the book at program when I was a kid in elementary school and I was reading four books to get a free pizza, and my mom told me read things that don't pertain to you. That's when I started reading Julie Bloom and Beverly Clearly and all that stuff. And then my pops, you know, he gave me books like the Autobiography of Malcolm X, which led me down a rabbit hole of wanting to know everything I could about the NI But also any book that I saw Malcolm X reference, I read it.
Speaker 1: You know, And I've always done that.
Speaker 2: If I read a book and then they reference another book in that book, then I'll go read, you know that book. That's why I thought, you know, when somebody like Nipsey Hustle was alive, you know, he was so brilliant because Nipsey would always reference different books in his interviews. Nipsey Hustle even had a booklest that he put out, you know, And I think that's that's what you have to do. You just got to encourage, you know, our kids to read and recommend them things to read.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I said earlier that I think we need to develop more program like even in the church, right, a lot of black families go to church together and have those days where we teach about our black history and black heroes. But also I think as parents, I think parents need to knowledge themselves, you know, because it's very difficult to teach your child if you don't have the proper history. It's like anything else. Like you know, my father's a retired police officer. He was able to teach me laws when I was a kid and teach me about just things as far as you know, what to do if I get pulled over what laws mean and how the judicial system works, because he was part of it.
Speaker 4: Same thing with my kids.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I have a daughter that's in the school, you know, in college right now for real estate and just past or exam. I have a son that is doing real estate now and sold his first house. But like these are things that they learned from their father. But like you said, I think we have to educate ourselves so we can actually educate our children, because there's a lot with Black history that I'm still learning now because I honestly wasn't taught as a child.
Speaker 2: I envy people who've gone to African American studies, you know, I mean, I love the way, you know, somebody like an Amanda Seals can just reference history so quickly, somebody like a Michael Eric Dyson, and you know, we know, we know the literacy race in black and brown communities are high.
Speaker 1: That's a whole other conversation.
Speaker 2: That's that's actually why Kevin Hart and I started our company with Audible SBAH Production, because you know, I think that sometimes it's not that kids aren't reading, there's just other ways for them to get that information.
Speaker 1: So instead of reading nowadays, people are listening, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's like I always had the idea of even though we did put out you know, finding to me because some of it, some of the eighty five, some of eighty five is about you know, what happened the move organization in Philadelphia. But I always thought that kids, always thought that kids could take in this information by listening.
Speaker 1: I lost my train of thought. Just now, how the hell I lost my train of.
Speaker 2: Thought, like, oh, I was saying, I think I think that kids can learn, you know, more more by listening now than actually picking up books and reading.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I wanted celebrity, That's what I was gonna say. I wanted celebrities to do the audiobooks, right. That that was an I then we had when we launched this company, have celebrities reading audiobooks, right, And you know, Audible kind of took the idea and they had launce Fishburn READAUGHTERI bigraphy of Malcolm X.
Speaker 1: But that's fine as long as it happens, you know.
Speaker 4: But but you know what too, And I would also say this for a lot of parents.
Speaker 3: A lot of times we take our kids to, you know, on vacation, and vacation can mean many different things from many different people. It can mean taking them to six Flags, it can mean taking them to Miami for Disney World or whatever. And I think sometimes and that's fine, but we we're gonna have to think of alternative things to do, like going to somebody experiences, right, but like going to museums, like the museum that just opened up in South Carolina, one.
Speaker 4: That's opened up in DC. And even when in South Carolina, I want.
Speaker 3: To go to because there's so much history, right you learn that's where you know a lot of that's where the first ships came that a lot of us, you know, touch touched down on on this land. So I would learn. I would love to learn that history. I've been fortunate enough to go to Africa and fortunate enough to go to South Africa and see these different places that you know, from where from where Bob Marley was in Jamaica to where uh to think of some of the houses that we went to over there, so many different houses.
Speaker 2: Even with that, and you're absolutely right what you're saying, but just speaking from a person who has the financial means.
Speaker 3: Right, But that's what I'm saying, Like instead of maybe going to six Flags, going to the museum, and sometimes there's museum that prices are not that expensive. They're ten dollars for a ticket, and I'm sure a lot of times they do it for free just to teach our own but just experiences like that that we can actually see, touch and get the proper knowlogy.
Speaker 2: How about your how about do something as simple as go get a library card. That's true, you know what I'm saying, go get a library card and then go, you know, look up some books to go get. I always tell people all the time. Start with the autobiography of Malcolm X. There's a great book that I read when I was young, called from n Words to Gods, Buy and Kill. And the way that he wrote the book, he wrote the book the way we actually talk, you know what I mean. So it was like he's cursing it and he's using street banacular, right, but he's educating at the same time, you know what I mean, Like everything don't have to be eighteen letter Shakespearean words.
Speaker 1: Right for you to learn.
Speaker 3: Like I was able to go to Nelson Mandela's house. I was able to go to where Nelson Mandela grew up. So I was able to see it. But I had to He used to do it, but before I had the means, my mom had me and those museums. Let's go to the phone lines. We got Jamisha on the line, Jamisha, good morning, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 6: Jamisha, Hey god, I want a first day that I love you guys and I listen to you guys every morning.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Jamisiha. We appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yes, so I just wanted to time in and just give my advice. I ain't on thirty seven, just to give you guys the idea of where I'm coming from. I'm a mom of a threeting boy, and I tried to just share stories with him because the literature out there is not very fun for the kids to read or interstite. So I feel like it starts at home. We as the parents have to be encouraged to learn it so that we could spend simply verbally share those stories with our kids, so that hopefully when they get older, they'll read those stories or watch those movies that we watched when we got older, or sometimes when we were given younger and we didn't understand what was going on.
Speaker 1: Totally agree.
Speaker 6: I agree that it's I just feel like it starts there.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. All right, thank you. I totally agree starts in the house.
Speaker 4: Hello, who's this Jerry? Hey, Jerry, good on and talk to us. What's your thoughts?
Speaker 7: I wanted to say fun because I just want my child's father some of them, but I think we have to meet kids where they are. There's like so many social media acts TikTok and stuff like that. I feel like maybe artists in different acts or just different people in the media in general should start maybe relaying Black history facts that way where they are.
Speaker 2: You're right, but you do realize on TikTok one of the biggest uh things on TikTok, I don't know what you call it.
Speaker 1: It's book talk.
Speaker 2: Is it's a hashtash tag book talk, bok halshtag, book talk, like like even when I'm putting out books, you know, on my own or through my d like these these these public these barns and Nobles and Time and his shoes, they always talk about book talk. They want book talk to be talking about their books because it's so big. So these kids are having these conversations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and those are the conversations that I love. And let's open up the phone lines again. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five to one. What are some suggestions to better educate future generations on black history? That is the question. And I just want to say one thing. It's like, sometimes you know, what's that? What's the saying? Sometimes your your your skin folk and your kim folk skin. And the reason I say that is because a lot of times I see people trying to educate and people the first thing they say is, oh, it's a lie, like and I remember when you started talking mental health, right, and people.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, he's just doing it for a check. He doesn't really care it is.
Speaker 3: That and he ever, I got nothing from it. And this man has has gave up his is I don't want to give up his life. But he's put his life in books to explain and to see how he's felt, and he's done so many things.
Speaker 4: And the same thing with me and trying to teach people about real estate.
Speaker 3: It's like when we try to do these things, we try to really put on for our community so that we can learn to get the education that we didn't have. And we're not saying that we know everything, but we just want to open the door for you guys to start reading, to start doing research on these things, to start asking questions.
Speaker 4: Just to ask questions. That's all we want. And we'll take your calls when we come back. It's the Breakast Club the morning.
Speaker 1: It's topic times.
Speaker 5: Called eight hundred and five eight five five one to join into the discussion with the Breakfast Club, talk about it.
Speaker 3: Warning Everybody's DJ Envy Charlamagne the God.
Speaker 4: We are the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: Now if you're just joining us, This conversation comes from Front Page News. Now, Florida Border Education approves new black history standards that teach how slaves develop skills for their personal benefit. So obviously they're trying to take our black history out of the school system. And we're asking, you know, what's the solution. You know, how can we change that?
Speaker 1: Well, I already told you.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't depend on white institutions to teach your kids, you know what I mean, Like, we have to start encouraging our kids to read, and we have to recommend books for them to read at home.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Another of the good thing that I do, you know, around our house is so much black.
Speaker 1: Imagtry right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you know you hear just a Liary's making jokes about the big guys Harriet Tubman picture, but that's true. I got four daughters, so I want him to see strong images of black women. So they'll they'll ask questions, who is that? You say, Oh, that's Harriet Tubman. And like the young lady said, then you can have a conversation about that's right, who Harriet Tubman is. And you know, you hope that education continues on as they get older.
Speaker 4: Right, let's go to the phone line. We have Diane on the line. Diane, good morning, good morning, how good morning?
Speaker 1: Doing well?
Speaker 4: Talk to us? What's your thoughts? Mama?
Speaker 8: Okay, well good morning. Let's go out to everyone to get out rugs and charlemade the god ladies said, let's uh figure out. I just wanted to say good morning. But I myself, I'm a grandma and my oldest child was older than you, my god. But what happened is because of the climate. I'm just tired and I would face with the opportunity to come to school with my eleven or sixteen year old grand I've been doing this for a couple of years. We were registered through the border beds in North Carolina. I'm from New York, but my family is from South Carolina. I took it upon myself to incorporate black history as a subject, and I seached them and we've been We're in all the books sixteen nineteen. Black history is our social studies books.
Speaker 5: We do that.
Speaker 8: We talk about history. We have there's a link black facts dot com website which gives you so much pertinent information black history. We talked about that. We're in the Quran, we're in the Bible, your book shook one. We're just all over the place. But I make sure that they know the foundation. I also, because I've gone through something some years ago. I send out inspirations every morning, six o'clock.
Speaker 5: In the morning.
Speaker 8: Used to be one or two people, is now one hundred and fifty people. And I do it one by one because I don't do But what I do is I am like them.
Speaker 5: On Black history.
Speaker 8: We're not just for February, but for every month. And we talk about things, not but the normal things people would talk about. Martin Luther Kings, not that we don't talk about them, but we've gone into everything. We talk about the masscreadd, we talk about the history. So I do that. Growing up in New York's history was something that Black history we were a part of. There was a lot of boos. There was a foundation's history, and we were kind of taught that in the schools a little bit, but the rest really lived. We grew up in that era. It's different now. And it's true a lot of black families children in history, A lot of them don't have mind to teach their children. A lot of them do depend on the schools. But you have to be minding children of what's going on in the schools. They were there in the school during the pandemic, how they were handling that, and they're not being caught. But they can't blame the things because a lot of them don't know themselves.
Speaker 1: You're right, queen, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: By the way, how old are you? How old are you as a grandmother, I'm close to seventy.
Speaker 8: I never thought I would be in this permission, would be doing this, but I am brave that I love it.
Speaker 1: We we love it.
Speaker 2: Too, glad that we're glad that God kept you here to be able to do it.
Speaker 8: That's right, Mama, Absolutely absolutely, you don't have a blessed and thank you so much. Keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 4: A great weekend.
Speaker 1: Hello, who's this? Hey?
Speaker 5: This is out of trend?
Speaker 1: Hey? What's up? Brother?
Speaker 4: Talk to us?
Speaker 5: Hey man, I don't want to give our shooting the shout out for giving people information as far as how to learn their history. But I got the easiest format for anybody. You can't follow this for me, I just don't want to learn. All you got to do is go to YouTube and google Caress one. Then you also do certain songs because hip hop has information of it. You got the Grave Diggers picked sick on shovel with Riss actually break it down a whole slave trade, the song I fought in the verse. You know you got sons and man, you got skiller armor. You know what I'm saying. You got to pull right to teachers, out the trend and shout out for right.
Speaker 2: You got killer, Mike you got, you got, you got early ice you Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You're right public aemy, California, public enemy.
Speaker 3: But a lot of a lot of those artists are artists that are our era of artists. What people are saying, like you know, like you said Charris One, you know Karas one where he's breaking down, I want to play that Charas when.
Speaker 4: You must learn, you got you must learn, you must learn. We're gonna put that record up.
Speaker 3: He breaks down all the you know, he talks about, you know, who created the stop light and who created this and this that and the ever but.
Speaker 5: Exactly along with all black cops. Even even like you said you would learn, but listen, I know it's our error. But still if you're trying to learn and you listened to hip hop. Well, this is lazy waits you to do it.
Speaker 2: I'll give him another You're absolutely right. I'll give him another suggestion. Google Kendrick Lamar's reading reading Look Reading reading recommendations. Google Nipsey Hustles reading recommendations. I'm looking at Kendricks right now. Invisible Man by Rob Ellison, Things Fall Apart, The Black of the Barry by Wallace Thurmot, Roots by Alex Haley, The Color Purple by Alice Walker. That's that's Kendrick's readingless. So it's not like we don't have people out here that are encouraging people to read.
Speaker 4: What's the more of the story, man, and more of the stories?
Speaker 2: What I said earlier, you can't rely on white institutions, you know, to teach your kids black history, you know what I mean? Like you do have to do a lot of self education at home, man. And I also want to say, please, let's stop repeating white propaganda talking points in regards to black people. If we start having conversations about black people self educating and encouraging each other to read, please, folks, let's not start saying black people can't read and black parents don't teach their kids to read.
Speaker 1: That's not that's nonsense, and that's not all the way accurate. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All these people who called up here, you know, telling us how they teach their kids at home. The grandma who says she homeschooled her kids talked in black history. Y'all give me a lot of hope. There's nothing dumb about us. There's nothing uneducated about us. Don't listen to these white propaganda talking points about us and in regard to literacy, and please don't repeat them.
Speaker 4: Man, all right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, when we come back, we got your room and report Dwight Howard he's in a sticky situation.
Speaker 4: We'll get to it next.
Speaker 1: Nasty, but not Dwight Howard. You because the way you worded that.
Speaker 4: But you know what you just did, just said the White House stupid.
Speaker 3: You like to play dumb, I said, Dwhite how is it a sticky situation?
Speaker 2: When we hear about the situation, you're gonna hear why it's sticky, the sticky predicament.
Speaker 1: See why do guy be a predicament?
Speaker 4: We'll get to it next. It's the breakfast lull going. It's freaking freaking right, up