Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a bright egg.
Speaker 2: Friday Egg and dreaded Frida Egg, Friday, Fridagg, Fridagg, Brian egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and today I'm really excited. I am joined by a couple guests here, all Friday Golf members. I At first, we will be joined by Joseph Lamanna. He does a ton of pro golf coverage. I wanted to just debrief on what's going on in the fall. Who are five UH players to watch from this fall? I think Joseph had had some great notes. Great it was a fun, fun chat, and we talk about that as well as the kind of new live rules and regulations. No more fifty four holes, they're just seventy two. So we talk with Joseph, and then I'm joined by our very own Garrett Morrison and Matt Rushes, both of whom do a lot of golf course and golf architecture content for us. Obviously, Garrett has his Designing Golf podcast. We talk about their recent trip to England, so kind of about golf in England, the highlights of their trip where they kind of hit the Surrey area as well as the southeastern coast of England. So it was a fun chat about their trip. And yeah, that's the podcast and we will we will get rolling. But first if you need to roll a suitcase around, you should talk to our partners at Away. Travel Away makes the best suitcases in my opinion, I've been using them long before they were a partner it is. It is the best suitcase. I feel like since they started, I've been I've been using them. The design's beautiful. My wife likes it, which is rare that I like something that my wife likes. The design is beautiful. It's simple, but it's also very functional. You can get so much space into it. It has an interior compression system that helps you fit that extra golf shirt, extra pair of shoes or sweater in there. I'm always amazed how much I can fit into my carry on. It's got a polycarbonate shell that is super durable as like in aside, I use my carry on almost all the time. I stuffed it full I carry around a lot of equipment. I got a new carry on from them that's made the old one, you know, rendered it like kind of it's on the bench. But that thing is just about as good, like perfectly good, as it was day one, eight or nine years ago when I started using it. It is an exceptional product. It is a suitcase that's not going to break. The zippers last, which is where I find a lot of suitcases wear out, and then the wheels are great. One of the things they did for us was they put our logo on the suitcase, which was super cool. And they do corporate gifting. So if your company is looking out for standout gifts or clients, employees, or a member, guest tournament, think about Away. So listen Away makes me have seamless travel when I use my Way suitcase. It makes my life a lot easier carring hauling around the gear, the clubs that I have to go to when I travel. So if you're interested in a way, go to Away travel dot com slash fried Egg. That's Away Travel dot com slash fried Egg, and you'll get ten percent off your first order out of way. All right, let's get to Joseph leamania on the Fall.
Speaker 2: So far?
Speaker 1: All right, Joseph. You know Don Henley wrote a masterpiece, The Boys of Summer. Uh, today we're gonna talk about the less you know, hyped, the little diamonds in the rough, the Boys of Fall. We're gonna talk about the Fall slate here and just check in. I think this is a lot of time where a lot of people tune out, but you know, in a way, a lot of stars are born at this period. Maybe not stars, but good PGA tour players start to gain traction and you know, get their winning chops contention, and a lot of times a good fall leads to a breakout year on tour the following year. So you have been, you've had your eyes glued to the TV. You've been, you know, go just haven't missed a beat with the Bay Current. I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and I said, do you want to go out to dinner? And he said, no, the Bag Current is coming on. I can't miss it. So anyways, I figured there's no better person to talk to you about the Fall and what's going on. I gave you the task. Let's talk about five players that you've been impressed with this fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Don Henley Russell's father didn't realize that it could be so relevant to the golf in twenty twenty five. Now this is sick oh hour, We're talking about fall golfers. The way I was thinking about this, Andy is like, if people haven't been watching any golf since the Open or you know, maybe the Ryder Cup, but largely probably unplugged since the Open, Like who are the players that they need to keep an eye on going into next year. So that's kind of the way I've been thinking about it. And most of these are going to be young names.
Speaker 1: Think about think about there are a lot of people that don't even know who Michael Brennan is. And you know, Michael Brennan just came into my life and I'm already thinking, is this life after Michael Brennan? Is this how we're gonna remember it? Life before and after?
Speaker 3: Are we going right into one of the names? Because Michael Brennan, in all seriousness like that is I think if we talked about nobody else today, that'd be the golfer we need to talk about.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about him, all right?
Speaker 3: So wins the Bank of Utah Championship, right, that is his He had went won three times in six PGA Tour America's starts came in really hot.
Speaker 1: The Pika Tour of Americas is what used to be Canada and Latin. They combined that tour a couple of years ago, so it is a tour below the Corn Faery Tour, which obviously is like Triple A and Baseball for golf.
Speaker 3: And now he's skipping the corn Fairy Tour, right because he's won on the PGA Tour. And I think there's a lot to chew on with Michael Brennan. First of all, he's twenty three, he's young, he has the pedigree. He was a good, very good college player at wake Forest, went back to back ACC championships. I was texting a little bit with a Mini tour player asking if he'd ever played with Michael Brennan, and he was like, yes, that guy is a machine like he hits driver very well. And I think that's the part of the Bank of Utah Championship performance that will resonate and will stick with me the longest is that he didn't do it by gaining ten shots with his putter. He smashes the ball off the tee like high one eighties ball speed, elite speed, strong command, like he was changing up his trajectories. I don't know how much you watched at that tournament, Andy, but he was hitting the low bullets like some of the high launch drives. The guy has a lot of game, apparently has a really strong work ethic. Like I think this is somebody that we could be talking about as a top twenty player in the world this time next year potentially, right, it's hard to say, but he actually he has the game in the skill set that looks like it could translate to the next level.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's played in I think this was his third PGA Tour start, but you know, first since the Mayor because he's he's number forty two in the world now after this, like which shows how good he was in America's and I think, like in the world the PGA Tour, you we get like hyper fixated on the first three or four names on that PGA Tour list, every U list every year, and it's like, these are the guys. I think Michael Brennan was like twelve, but it is not inconceivable, like to see the twelfth player in an NBA Draft, be the best player in the NBA like Tyrese Haliburton I think went twelve, Giannis went fifteen or sixteen, nicolea Jokicic went in the second round. You talk about baseball, you look at the top one hundred prospects lists, it's not always the number one prospect that ends up the best player. I think if if I were going to make a comparison, not and this is not a meant to be like an Apple's apples compared if you were going to put Scotti Scheffler on a PGA tour U list when he was at Texas, he would have been in the eight to twelve range. He was a He was kind of one of the last players selected onto the Walker Cup team at LACC, which gives you an idea of like where he fell in the grand scheme of things. And this is like projecting prospects in any endeavor is almost is so difficult and so challenging. There's obviously can't miss people that come up, but there's there's no reason why Michael Brennan doesn't end up being the best young player in the game. That's it's conceivable and based off what he did in Latin America. I think it's like it's like he has real results on a real tour, which you know, not a lot of people have ever played on that tour as well as as he has. You know, he I think he played in fifteen events and had twelve top tens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's a great conversation around why certain players make it and others don't. But I do think a through line in professional golf is not getting bored is the players who are willing to just plot it out year after year, and from what I understand anecdotally, like Michael Brennan is a very very hard worker, so I'm excited about him. Who knows golf so hard to predict. I think it's really hard to say that Michael Brennan's going to be ex player in the world within the next two years. But he's twenty three, and we are seeing all of the best golfers in the world play their best golf between twenty seven and thirty five. He's got three four years to develop now has his PGA Tour card. I'm excited about what he could do next year, let alone three years from now, when he's had a little time to develop and he has that proven track record he won eight times in college. Andy like he's not coming out of note stud.
Speaker 1: I mean, back to back ACC Player of the Year is like pretty crazy. I think the you know, the other thing that I like about the Michael Brennan story is he wasn't. I think like one of the challenging things that the Leuke Clanton's of the world, the Gordon Sergeants of the world that are just handed a PGA Tour card are going to have to deal with is that they have faced zero adversity generally, and they get to the PGA Tour and all of a sudden, you know, their entire life, they've been this big fish in a small pond type thing and they go there and it might take a couple of years to work out and that adjustment of not being necessarily the guy. We saw Clanton and I think, like I'm not selling Clanton stock or anything, but you saw he had this meteoric rise as an amateur where like expectations are low, like you you're playing in these events and it's like, well, whatever happens happens, and you know, since then, it's bet he's cooled off a bit. He's been a good not great player on the PGA Tour, and I think that is going to be some a normal cadence for this number one player on PGA Tour. You similarly, it feels like Michael Thorpjordson, after a year and a half on the PGA Tour is starting to put it together. And that is like an example of that. Michael Brennan. He went from being the guy you know in the acc A Great Golf Conference, a one of the bona fide top players in college golf, and you get shipped off and you got to go figure out life in Latin America and Canada, and that is like that's work. That's a huge adjustment. And he went down there and just dominated. And I think that that experience will lend him a lot of benefits where he doesn't necessarily take things for granted like someone who has just handed a PGA Tour card.
Speaker 3: And another point on that, you don't get to hit driver everywhere on a lot of those golf courses and PGA Tour America's, which is one of Michael Brennan. It is his biggest strength. He tears the cover off the golf ball. So I think seeing the consistent results from him on the PGA Tour Americas is some indication that he's got more game than just bashing driver over and over. You reference somebody like Luke Clant, like I think what we're seeing andy a lot of these golfers who are struggling their first few years on tour, and even like Ludwig has not been as consistent as I think a lot of people expected him to be, myself included. I think often what happens there is when golfers aren't on they don't necessarily have the well rounded skill set and they haven't learned all of the other shots they can go to to produce consistent results. So when you're twenty four to twenty five, you're somebody like Luke Clinton, you're feeling a little bit off with your swing, you're suffering some adversity, you see some of those poor results. So I'm eager to see what Michael Brennan again, give him a couple of years, but I don't think we should expect much until he is twenty six or so anyway. So I'm just very optimistic about what we've seen from him so far.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. They're obviously playing this week. I can't wait to watch and see what he does this week.
Speaker 3: Good set up for him too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one last thing with Brennan. You talked about the driving prowess. What's extra I think impressive about what he did in Utah was that iss a golf course that it has heavy, heavy penalty for missus. He hits it really hard, which promotes, you know, kind of bigger foul balls. The harder you hit it, the more offline it can go. And what I was like so impressed with was it's like Sunday, he's leading by four or five basically all day and he is still just all out assault with the driver on that golf course where I think so many people would have put it in neutral and been like okay, like I'm just gonna avoid penalty strokes and try and like kind of plot my way around the golf course. He just kept doing what he was what he planned to do. It was hyper aggressive on a golf course that punishes over aggressiveness. I thought that was what impressed me the most was he dismantled a golf course that with with long drives, on a golf course that penalizes generally the bomb and gouge methodology.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fair, I mean there's a lot of room out there. But yes, he continued to keep the throttle down basically until the last hole, and he led the field in strokes, gained off the tee, put up a huge number. So yeah, very optimistic about him. He's got a game that seems to translate. Do you want me to move to my second name here?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we could just keep talking about Michael Brennan.
Speaker 3: I'm down to.
Speaker 1: The story of fall right now. What's the number? What's the number two? For you?
Speaker 3: You may know this in doing prep for this pod, but there's one golfer andy who has at least two starts on the PGA Tour this fall and has finished top ten in every PGA Tour event he's played. And do you know who that is?
Speaker 1: Wow? Wait, he's He's got at least two starts this fall, yep, and finished top ten and all top ten in every PGA Tour event he's played in.
Speaker 3: This fault Yeah, I mean it's a little bit of a sickoh stat, but I'll throw it rico. Ho that is close.
Speaker 1: I believe he missed the cut at one event.
Speaker 3: He's three of four that's another player we may get to. But no, there's a.
Speaker 1: Player because I was ready to talk Rico Hoey.
Speaker 3: We can talk Ricoh.
Speaker 1: I want this one though.
Speaker 3: Garrick Higgo.
Speaker 1: Hey, that Garrick Higgo.
Speaker 3: Is an interesting name. I think he's flying so far under the radar.
Speaker 1: And a lot of that's that he's going to cut his hair.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know the current length of his hair. I overlooked that, and.
Speaker 1: I think cut his hair, which could be could be part of it. You can't those beautiful locks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that is part of it. But with Garrick, he's he's an interesting name. I'd be curious what you think of him. He's basically been struggling in obscurity the last couple of years after a pretty successful start to his professional career. He won I think three or four times in twenty twenty one, including on the PGA Tour. He won that Palmetto Championship yeah at Conngrey, yeah, back in June. And that wasn't a super strong field, but it wasn't a weak field either. I mean he won a legit PJ Tour event. Now he's put up three straight top tens hits the crap out of the ball like a high one eighties ball. Speed guy. I don't know. He has put together a pretty decently He won on the Challenge Tour, he won on the DP World Tour. I want to say he has something like eight wins worldwide. He's twenty six. Andy Like, I don't know that I expect this guy to be a top thirty player on the PGA Tour next year. But sometimes, like you're mentioning, stuff develops on its own timeline. Garrickkgo t seven at the Pro Corps, second at Sanderson, fourth at Bay Current, another good opportunity this week at al at El Cardinal. I don't think it's crazy that we see a leap from him and he's a pretty good PGA Tour player next year. Not a superstar, but he's somebody to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Obviously. I think like he has the ingredients of what you look for for somebody to play well. And along the lines of Brennan is a young player who had like tremendous success four years ago. You know, I mean it was you know, we joked about life after Michael Brennan. You could say the same thing what happened with Garret Kigo when he won that event, Like everybody is like, you know, and I just think again, adversity struggles. People paint them as bad things for golfers. I think if you look at like the longevity of a career, if you're able to come through where things don't go your way, it leads to a better, you know, career in the long run because you have handled that kind of stuff. And I think it's just like an important aspect of golf. Like it you know, you'll you'll look at like Kyle Moore Kawer right now that's struggling right up into Bill this year. He's never had any of that in his life, and it I think it probably gets more difficult to deal with the longer you go without it. And I'm very you know, Higo. I remember, you know, there are a lot of Ryder President's Cup buzz around, Higo, and I think like it's an interesting aspect of next year. And obviously the President's Cup is not the Ryder Cup, but these guys like the more there there's more international talent than ever before, and most of it's young, and it's like if some of these guys could take a step, it makes that competition a lot more interesting.
Speaker 3: He's twenty six, just to put that out there, right, So now you're talking about a golfer with a good track record in college and he turned probably after his sophomore year. Was a good college player. One Challenge Tour, DP World Tour. Now he's gone through some of those struggles, has traveled the world, probably has a lot of experience under his belt that he can draw up on finding his game again at twenty six, entering the sweet spot of his career. So yeah, I don't again don't think this is a top ten player in the world, but I'm keeping an eye on him. Anything else with Higo Andy or should we move?
Speaker 1: I you know, he's got to bring back the flow.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: Who's an act.
Speaker 3: Let's go, Let's go Rico Hoey. You touched on him, some great reporting from Sean Martin back at the NAPA Tournament. Appropriate when Rico put the broomstick in the bag. I don't I don't know if you can overstate how bad of a putter Rico Hoey is. He is like dead last, right, dead last, dead last and bad. And when you have a great ball striker, which Rico Hooey is. I believe he's second on tour strokes, haining off the T eighth strokes gained approach. Some of that is because he's not playing the strongest field, so you can, you know, lower those numbers a little bit. But he's a very good ball striker. When you have a great ball striker who stinks with the putter, you see a lot of you see some missed cuts, you see some T eights, some T fifteen's, they struggle to break through because obviously the putter is just you know, negative four for the week is really hard to recover from, especially under me, Like.
Speaker 1: It's more hard to recover mentally than the score ford all.
Speaker 3: Of those things. Yeah, so the broomstick. How good of a putter can Rico Hoey become with the broomstick? Like, I think expectations should be, uh there, I think he's but yeah, if he is average, all of a sudden he's in. He's probably winning PGA toward non signature events and you know, maybe getting into some of those signature events if he has a hot putting week, like, the guy can probably hang with just about anybody. So something to keep an eye on. Again, I don't know, I think he's still probably gonna stink with the putter even with the broomstick, but it's a notable equipment change for a player that's very talented.
Speaker 1: Uh Rico Hoy cult classic for me. When I started this this business, I did a lot of college, college and amateur golf coverage and this was this was prime Rico Hoy season. He was electric at usc When you talk about like driving the golf ball, there are there are so few people that can touch his level of power and accuracy. He would hit driver where a few few people would even consider it. He can just drop a ball under the tee. You want to talk about do D like I know there's an Instagram guy that's do D King. Rico Joey is do o D King forever. He would you know, He's played the National Championship and he would just drop the ball on the ground and hit it off the ground because it was like its fairway finder. I think Rico I saw him play witness one of the greatest like twelve whole stretches I've ever seen. I think he was ten under through twelve at Rich Harvis Farms in the National Championship. Then it kind of fell apart, but it was like an unbelievable sensational t degree game. I think the big thing is, like, like so much stuff with golf, when you are so uber talented in one area, sometimes other other aspects of your game can can slip off. With Rico, it was always like the driver swing. What made the driver swing so good kind of made the wedge swing really bad, cleaning up wedges. And this is like so much the case of young players. Right, we just talked about Garrit Kigo. You come in and especially now with the game, the driver is such a you know, if you can drive it really great, you can get hot with other things and get up onto the PGA tour and then it becomes it's like wow, Like when you look at the guys that are thirty five and have been doing it for fifteen years. I think a lot of these kids look at it and as like, look at how good they are at every single aspect of the game. I might be able to, you know, hit the driver better than them. But like game manager, like course management, mistake management, dealing with like the bad stuff that happens to you on a golf course, wedge wedge proficiency, all of these things are generally I think think where younger players why you're seeing what you said at the top twenty eight to thirty five being the kind of golden years of a career. It's when you still have your speed speed and you really kind of just stop being an idiot, you know. I know there are like things with like Decade and other course management tools and course management coaches that are helping kids, but like the number one thing, just like your golf swing, when you can self correct, when you're able to diagnose a golf course and understand what you should do in a situation that's rooted in like the idea of like this is a good miss this is where I shouldn't miss it, you know, this is where I should be aiming. But being able to adjust on the fly and understand that that comes in your late twenties. That's when you figure out the game. It's also when you start to like have life moments that make you realize that like if I make a bogie and I three putt, it's not the end of the world. Like other stuff happens in life that's way worse than this, Like it's where her life kind of interjects into golf. So I think, like Rico Hoey, I am like the biggest supporter. I have golf swings on my phone still of him in college. I'm a Rico Hoey fanatic. So I'm hoping that the putter, you know, if he's a top question to you, if he becomes a top fifty putter in the world, where where does he go?
Speaker 3: He probably wins, he wins a non signature event. He's probably a top twenty five player on the PGA, toy makes it to east Lake. I don't know that he's he maybe pops his head out a major like he's a good player.
Speaker 1: He fringes a fringe rider copp okay, the very fringes like you know, names or could be thrown into the equation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's very reasonable.
Speaker 1: I you know, the other takeaway from Hoey and I think this is Akha Batilla is another player we've seen just completely change his career with the broom. Where another really strong ball striker who had major putting deficiencies, Adam Scott, Adams well, will z al Torres would be one where you know and you know where he went to the arm lock. But like to me, like I do not understand how any putter who's like in the bottom quartile of the PGA Tour, if you're not experimenting with with these other forms of putting, whether they're broom or or arm lock, I understand the sanctity of the game. I appreciate anybody that's like, I don't want to go to a lock putter because of you know this or that. But for the livelihood of your career, We've seen so many players just transform, and I think I don't want to say that it's just like is an ultimate remedy, because like putting at an average PGA Tour level means you're one, you know, one of the probably five hundred best putters in the entire world of golf. Like that, that's not an easy thing to become. And I think even the low end of the PGA Tour is exceptional at putting if you compare them to a great amateur player. But I think, like there everybody should be experimenting with this stuff. And we've seen, you know, like when when Sean said Hoe he's going to long putter, I immediately was like, watch out because he's so good.
Speaker 3: Te de Green, Yeah, and again this week I think he's like twenty or twenty five to one to win at El Cardin now, like the market is respecting Rico Hoey, like he's a legitimate threat to win golf tournaments now. But to your point, there's no guarantees. I still think he's gonna be a bad putter. See who Kim Broomstick still a bad putter. Like, I don't think you should have a lot of confidence in Rico Hoey's standing over a six footer late on Sunday with the broomstick. But again, his results should improve, and that immediately makes him a pretty formidable golfer on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 1: All right, who's up next? We got We've gone through three. I don't know if you can get better than Hoey and Brennan on a pod in October.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we gotta think about Rico Hoey. Fans with the name of Hoey heads, we got to figure that out. I'm four, I'll go.
Speaker 4: I'll go.
Speaker 3: Michael thorpe Jornson. I think it's a name that he hasn't necessarily been incredible in the fall, but he finished third at the Bay Current Classic. But I think when you tell the career arc of Michael thorbe Jornson. So far to date, it's a pretty compelling story of a golfer that's probably going to have a good twenty twenty six. He's dealt with some injuries since turning pro. He's twenty four. Was a great college player at Stanford. Smashes the ball, but it was long and wild for his first couple of years on the PGA Tour, and especially again, I think some the injuries played a role in that. Now he's eliminated the wide misses and he's hitting it much more straight and you're seeing consistent results. He has five straight made cuts. One of those is the Bay Current Classic No Cut EVM, but he finished third at it, so I think it's reasonable to just call that a maide cut. Far more consistent in twenty twenty five than he's been historically, and given his pedigree how good he was in college, I honestly don't know that there are many players twenty five or younger to be more excited about, Like I think there's a good case that you should be more excited even about thorbe Jornson than Brennan. But they're right there next to each other. Some of the best young talents in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love thorpe Jornsen. I think you're spot on here. The fall has been a big thorpe Jarnsen. Just since the Rocket mortgage, he has four top fifteens and eight starts that was after the Bay Current. I'm not sure where he finished in Utah and how that factored in thirty seventh and thirty seventh, So he's got four top fifteens in his last night starts and I think like one of the big hallmarks of golf, like what you're trying to be is more consistent. Everybody's trying to be more consistent, and to see some of that consistency come through for a young player, I think, like, you know, this is the thing, it's gonna be kind of the theme of this pod. Everybody gets these high expectations. Everybody loves to talk about prospects and the hope of prospects, and then so often it doesn't pan out in that you know, we live at this immediate, instant gratification world and golf is just not that. It takes time. And I think people will underrate how good seventy five on the PGA Tour, who's been doing it for twelve years is and they might not have the most eye popping numbers, and it might not be the most impressive guy to watch on the range, but there's so much more that goes into being a tour pro than just track man numbers.
Speaker 3: I'm mean curious what you think of this theory. Andy, don't think I've run this one by you a bit. Interviewing Frank Novolo earlier this year, one thing he said it might have been we were even done recording, is that in periods of stable equipment regulation, which I'd say we're in one right now, like every golfer on the PGA tour is fluent in the language of track man played, has played with it for a while now, has hit modern drivers for a while, like there hasn't been a lot of technological change. So his argument was that you see more stability, probably a little harder to break in as a young player, and a run like the one that Scotti is on is probably more likely to persist in a period like the current one. We'll see what happens with the rollback, but it's not that significant of a change anyway. So I think I'm wondering if that is also I think that's a reasonable theory for right now why it's also hard for a young player to break onto tour, Like you have a bunch of guys who are twenty eight to thirty five used to the equipment, have been playing the same course as year and in year out, it's hard to break into that. What do you think of that theory?
Speaker 1: I think that's spot on. Years ago. I would say this was during maybe before COVID. I did podcasts with two economists I think they were from the University of Chicago who did a study in what technological change does to workplace. It was for labor and they looked at tennis in the evolution of tennis from you know, the wooden racket to the oversized racket and what it did and it causes like this U shaped curve and effectively, when technological change happens, younger generations are are are have a huge advantage over people that have learned how to do the profession with old equipment because they have to relearn skills like hitting a driver fundamentally changed with a solid core ball and four hundred and sixty c state heads and different players all of a sudden popped like I think this is a way that you might look at Kenny Perry and be like, why did Kenny Perry get great all of a sudden, Well, like there was this seismic technological change, and all of a sudden his skills and his his swing in his motion was more rewarded than say a Justin Leonard, who was a great player pre this technological boom. So the what this study proved out and why they did it was that when you introduce a seismic technology like say AI, what's going to happen is that younger generations are rewarded for effectively two two like work forces. So if you think about like in life, it's a lot longer, but in a tennis career that's like five to seven years. So if you think about golf, we have probably normalized. I think that's a great take. We've probably now normalized because the mass technological innovation, they are still getting better, they're getting more forgiving, you know, the technology is getting better, but not in a huge way. That seismic change probably ended about twenty twelve twenty ten is where those drivers all were four hundred and sixty ccs. The golf ball was the solid core ball and TrackMan had come in, and if you think about a golf career, it's probably about five to seven years, and we're right at the end of it where things would technically normalize and we would go back to a sport where you know, twenty seven to thirty five is like the golden years, and it's not weird to see somebody compete until they're forty two.
Speaker 3: And the other point, I would add the driver to TrackMan. Course management strategies changed a ton, and I would argue that that period was basically twenty fifteen to twenty twenty. There were a lot of mistakes being made in that period where golfers were way too conservative off the t. Those golfers have been weeded out, Like I think by now in twenty twenty five, golfers get it, and the up and comers I'll get it. So I think we are in a stable period of not just technical innovation but also strategy, and so we're probably seeing a pretty stable period of the top ten in the world rankings relative to history. Not there will still be a lot of turnover.
Speaker 1: I'll put that podcast that I talked about in the show notes for this it was still stands true. It was a fascinating study. I'll try and find the link to the study as well to put in there. I like remember just devouring that stuy. I read through it like three or four times. What is your who's your last player?
Speaker 3: Let's go a little crazier for the fifth one? Somebody not even a PGA Tour player, but I don't know. Golfer is no buzz, it seems like, but I think should have a little as on hell Yora, the Spanish golfer.
Speaker 1: They're nodding. He's a DP World Tour grad right, he.
Speaker 3: Will not make the PGA Tour as of now, okay, so he's not in that top ten to get his PGA Tour card as things currently stand, which is a point that I had in my notes, Like, of all the golfers who are going to graduate next year to the PGA Tour, he's one that you would want. He's twenty one, his five top tens in his last eight starts on the DP World Tour. Probably a much better player than some of the other golfers who are, you know, in line to receive their PGA Tour card. Smokes smokes the golf ball like mid one eighties. Again, like a lot of these other young golfers.
Speaker 1: Common theme among everybody we've talked about. Yeah, I don't know the driver. I think irons are the key. Iron play is the key to elite success. I think baseline PGA Tour success now is dependent on the driver.
Speaker 3: Driver is a I think pretty much a prerequisite for long term, consistent success. I don't know how many golfers you could give me that aren't consistently strong off the tee, who are good over a period of like ten to twenty years. So a lot of these guys have speed on Aliora Like again, five top tens in his last eight starts. He's starting to peak. I think this is the type of golfer where if you were Brian Rolapp on the PGA Tour, you'd want to say, like, hey, how do we get him on tour and make sure that he doesn't go sign somewhere like live when you have a very promising young talent like this. I don't know that there aren't many golfers. There's a basket of them who are let's say twenty one, twenty three. We've hit on a few of them, but guys showing a lot of promise. I don't know that we know exactly how his game stacks up in strong fields, but seeing the consistent results over the last couple of months from him, I think he's somebody you got to keep an eye on over the next six to twelve months.
Speaker 1: Good. That's a great, great coffee golf tip that now you've got a guy to watch on. I love that you didn't go just PGA Tour. You expanded your your bounds here to the DP World Tour. Do you know what it takes us? Takes us to our next topic I wanted to touch on briefly. Today was a lot of live news. They're going to seventy two holes, which is concerning for the name, but they also have pathways now with a Q school. To me, I would say the overriding thing here is they're trying to get world ranking points proving they have open pathways seventy two holes of stroke play. And the other thing it feels like is that they are trying to compete with the DP World Tour that has historically been Golf's world tour. What are your thoughts on live and their moves?
Speaker 3: A lot of you know, low hanging fruit, funny jokes to make about how they're just adopting, they're reinventing golf, and then they found their way to the seventy two whole format. I think there's probably a familiarity level that golfers like John Rahm have been clamoring for, like let's get back into a routine and have think.
Speaker 1: John Rom's going to win more tournaments because the longer a tournament goes, the better players have a better chance to win. This is like, you know, a marathon run, the Great marathon Runner being like, Hey, you know what, now, we're only going to run twenty miles, so we have less time to separate yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, getting into the cadence and getting ready for majors. Is it the biggest deal in the world. Maybe not, But I think it's helpful. Where what is what I keep coming back to in my head that I do not I think this is necessarily the direction you thought we were going to go on this particular point, Andy, But fifty four golfers getting OWGR points, I don't know that they're going to love the allotment of points that they get. Because larger fields, larger, deeper fields are more rewarded in the official World Golf ranking system. So even if liv does get OWGR accreditation, I don't know that they're going to be thrilled with the points that they're given. And then on top of that, the PGA Tour having all these seventy players signature events, they're getting OWGR points. It is a little bit of an own goal from the PGA Tour that if they had bigger fields like ninety even one hundred and twenty players, they'd be getting a significant a higher OWGR allocation. So just from the standpoint of trying to attract talent and saying, hey, we have OWGR points now too, the PGA Tour could make could shore up their sales pitch a little bit by expanding their own fields. I think the way that this is going to play out from an OWGR standpoint is going to be pretty fascinating. And I don't know that when the PGA Tour went to a seventy player field for their signature events, they necessarily considered this because it is a little bit of an own goal in reducing their own OWGR out allotment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, this is just kind of the next chapter. I think one of the one of the more compelling arcs and we've seen young players struggle on live for the most part or just like struggle to find their footing, which I think is like understandable. At the same time, while they're struggling to find their footing, they're patting their bank accounts, which you know, for a twenty something golfer, it's nice to secure your financial future within you know, just merely by being invited into the league. But I think the mckibbon success story is if you're awarded OWGR points and you have a real pathway to play your way into majors, I think you just hit on it with Anduel Ayora. Does this become a more a heeling proposition because of just how much they play for on a week to week basis, And listen, there's the quality players on the European Tour that would boost the bottom half of that league.
Speaker 3: I think it also andy fits into what we're talking about the best golfers playing their best golf between twenty eight and thirty five. I think the live sales pitch makes the most sense if you're below twenty eight. If you're twenty two and you want to cut your teeth for forty years and pad your bank account, have some financial security and learn the sport a little bit, or you're past that thirty five like your best days are kind of behind you. It is interesting to at least look at the complexion of the league that there aren't that many golfers or peaking between that twenty eight and thirty five range. I don't I don't think that's coincidental. Like there's a couple names obviously rom Niemann, Bryson, Patrick Reid's kind of at the tail end of that. But I think the sales pitch is most compelling for those guys like in Anhelliora a mckibbon, now that the pathways, now that they're getting OWGR points, potentially it's not a bad sales pitch, especially for an international players under twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I you know, listen, I I think there's a lot of benefits to We just talked about this and it feels like you're talking a little bit outside both sides of your mouth with like the Michael Brennon path. I think there's like I think that is a real there are a lot of benefits to that path. One of the challenges of that path is is financial security, and like anything it's uh. But then on the other end, the idea of being able to to play golf without having to worry about so many of the things and also support yourself in the sense of I know where my home is, I don't have to worry about paying a physio, or I don't have to worry about like do I have enough money to to you know, set up the team that I want around me? Is is another is a better fit to that? But I think it does come with like it is slightly less competitive and serious tour. Not I think it's going to remain to be that. It is going to continue to be that until a lot of the mainstays who are just kind of winding down the ends of their careers and padding their bank accounts are gone. Like you know, it seems like Liv's going to be here to stay. All signs point to that, Like what does LIV look like in five years when Phil Micholson, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Henrik Stenson, Graham McDowell, those types aren't on the tour, Anthony Kim aren't on the tour and it's real golfers.
Speaker 3: It's a good point look to not talk out of both sides of my mouth. I think if you want to play the best golf you possibly can live is not an attractive option. Like the best golfers will come through the other pathway. But again, if you're an international player and playing around the world is more appealing to you than an America based tour, probably the best time to do that's when you're twenty two.
Speaker 1: All right, Joseph, big thanks for coming on. You know, I know that this is a big week for you. You got to lock in to Mexico and kick grass on the move. You're in a new place, a new recording setup, so we will talk to you soon. People can read your work in the newsletter. You've been doing great work in the newsletter. They can check out your design disasters and and your weekly column. So so thanks Joseph. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Thanks Andy, all right, big thanks to Joseph.
Speaker 1: Before we get to Garrett, let's talk about our friends at Maui Nui. Maui Nui makes wonderful meat. It is the healthiest red meat on the planet. It is access deer from the island of Maui, where there's like an environmental issue that they cause. These deer they completely stress free life and it creates this beautiful, healthy product that is delicious. There are a couple things they do. They have the ground venison, which makes for like great venison burgers, venison tacos stuff I've made. They have the medallions that are more like a steak product. This is really tasty meat that's super good for you, high in nutrients, high in protein, and very lean. And then the thing for the on the go lifestyle. They make like meat sticks that are super convenient easy protein. You know, proteins all the rage these days. They just make getting protein on the go really easy. So if you're interested right now, Mali Nui is offering a free twelve pack of those venison turkey sticks that I talked about with your first order of seventy nine dollars or more. Due to the nature of their work, supplies that are limited, so once their subscriptions fill spots are gone, you can go visite Venison dot com. That's m A U I n U I Venison v E n I s O n dot com slash egg and you will get that free box of jerky sticks with your purchase of seventy nine or more. That's Mali Nui Venison dot Com slash Egg thanks to Mali Nui. And let's get to Garrett and Matt about England. All right, Matt Garrett, welcome back from England. You guys are back from a long, lengthy, golf heavy trip abroad. I mean this is a marathon trip. So you guys went with a group of fried Egg golf club members to England and it really experienced both Surrey, the Heathland area of England near London, as well as the Southeast. I'd love you know. One of the things I find most interesting as American going abroad to different locales, whether it's Ireland or Scotland, those are the two that I've been to, is just the golf culture and how they're different across the how they're different across that different islands. How would you surmize and characterize English golf culture.
Speaker 4: Matt, you want to take that one, sure?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's like very starkly different than American golf culture. And it's so evident, like right when you show up to these clubs, there's not like a stack of carts lined up outside of the clubhouses. Everyone's walking, everyone's playing very quickly in a fast manner. I think the most noticeable and thing I almost envy the most about just walking around these golf courses because I didn't get to quite play as much as people on the trip. I was more so taking photos and documenting stuff. But there's just people roaming these golf courses like at all hours of the day walking their dogs. There's always signs saying like public footpath right through the middle of these golf courses, and I was honestly like a little nervous like going to like into these pro shops and having to ask like, hey, can I wander the course with like this group of golfers. Like I thought there would be like the American style thing. We're like, oh, no, you can't, that's a liability issue. But no, it's like welcome there where the golf course is just like an extension of the local communities and people are just roaming about with their dogs, enjoying the land for what it is, even if they're not playing golf. So I thought that was one of the coolest things that was immediately apparent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to add to that, we went to some of the most private and exclusive clubs in England. Our trip took us from Huntercombe Golf Club to Sunningdale Golf Club and then down to the coast to see Royal Saint George's, Royal Sinkport's and Princes Golf Club. Then we went back into the Heathland area to see Saint George's Hill and Woking Golf Club. And you know, if you ask English people, they will say these are some of our most private institutions in the country, golf institutions in the country. But the feeling for an American used to American private club culture is that these clubs are very relaxed, that you show up feel comfortable, that there's a real walking culture, and the courses are part of their neighborhoods. They're an extension of the living spaces of the people who live around the courses, and so that that gives these clubs a very nice homey feel.
Speaker 1: I feel, you know, just obviously with the UK and Ireland, really the British Isles, one of my big takeaways is how much more intertwined with just overall culture golf is. And I think there's a lot of reasons for that. One of the things that you guys hit on is just like the proximity to people like they are you know, they're they're often like right abutting town obviously Scotland. There's you know, lots of great examples of courses that a butt into the town, where you start in the town, you play out of the town, and you come back to the town. In America, you could count like the number of courses that have that sort of feel on your hand on like one hand, where you start in town, play out and play back and the course is a functional part of societ. And I like my one lasting images whenever I go abroad is always like I love when I see kids like pushing a push cart to a golf course from a residential area, and it's like I as a kid, I went to a public golf course and I rode my bike with my back, with that on my back, but it was like a mile drive. It was a mile long bike ride. It wasn't just walking down the street to the golf course. And I just think that it. You know, you read so much about about like things that promote longevity in life, and so much of it is like you know there obviously there are a lot of things relationships healthy eating, but like one of the big determinants. Is is just walking. Yeah, And if you think about golf, it promotes two of those things, like relationships, like friendships that through through golf. Like I think it's kind of crazy, like my wife doesn't play golf and you I end up with. I remember, I'll never forget. When we did our wedding wedding advice, she was like, who are these people? I've never met them, and I'm like, I've played golf with them for like my whole life, like I've read a lot. I spend more time with them than most of my friends, Like they know everything about me. Like it promotes relationship, but also if the culture is walking like it is abroad, it also is a It's just an incredible longevity sport for your overarching health as you age in life.
Speaker 4: If you think about where these golf courses are located in England, the spots that we saw, we went to the heathlands around London and we went to Linksland down on the on the southeastern coast of England, the Kent Coast. Basically, the history of the heathlands in England is that it's land that is available to the public for recreation and exercise. This is the historical use of this kind of land for English people, and the golf courses are there as part of that history, but it's not the sole use of the land. I don't think the people who live around Woking Golf Club or Sunningdale Golf Club would accept a reality where the land of those golf courses would be inaccessible to them. And so you can see the people in these neighborhoods using the heathlands in the way that they've always been used to basically walk their dogs and to go out and get some light, exercise and fresh air. And that's so tremendously healthy. If you look into the history of Lynxland, it's the same thing. The Lynxland is really good for one thing, and that is recreation. It's not good for farming, it's not it's not really good for anything except for the uses that it's put to uh on in in these in these coastal areas in the UK. Golf and walking and so yeah, like Matt I was, I was really inspired by how these pieces of land still have multiple uses going on. It's not just golf, it's also a community recreation spot. And you have a sense that the people who live there, know how to use this land, and would not be persuaded to uh to to you know, fence it off and devote it only to golf.
Speaker 1: Matt, Why would you say to somebody that's looking at booking a trip, uh, why is England a great destination uh for a golf trip?
Speaker 2: I think, first and foremost, like with the trip that we did, we kind of saw two very different styles of golf between the lynxland on the coast with you know, the sea breeze fully exposed, and then the heathland courses kind of in the Surrey Hills. They're just like so starkly different from each other, but at the same time they're like incredibly world class, some of the best golf courses I've ever seen in my life in these two starkly different environments. So I feel like that just presents like such a great opportunity. I mean, and these courses are what two and a half two two and a half hours apart from each other at the most, So you could play in the Surrey Hills one day and then you're on the water on the coast the next day, and you get these two very different styles of golf. For the most part. I think the turf is pretty similar across the board. It's a little bit different when you get into the hills and the trees, but it's just like amazing the variety that you can get in such close proximity. I don't know if I could really compare it to much anything in the United States, like if you were to compare it to a trip of Bandon. Like Bandon, it's all fairly similar. Trails is the biggest outlier, but the variety in England, and then just the caliber of how good these golf courses are. I think it's honestly like probably nothing really else comes close to it in the world.
Speaker 1: I would like think maybe if you did New York with Long Island and then Westchester, you get that huge variety different. But I think one of the unique things about England is it's all on sand where Westchester, like if you were going to say what limits it, it's like the soils and you know, you can't get it to play great all the time. And obviously one of the things that unique about about the Heathlands is is is you get that kind of parkland feel, but it's on a sand base, which is extraordinary, right.
Speaker 4: I think the closest comparison that I can come up with is the Melbourne sand Belt, where you can you can see some of these heathland courses. It's really heathland in the Melbourne sand Belt, inland courses that that sit on sand and have a varied vegetation around them. And then if you if you go on a Melbourne golf trip, you can travel to the Mornington Peninsula and see some modern links courses. Uh you know the course the links courses that you see on the English coast are are certainly of older vintage. But I think you can get a similar type of variety and and and array of interesting courses if you go to Melbourne. But there's there's really nowhere else that that aside from Melbourne that comes close to this trip that we just did. And so that's probably the main reason that I would recommend it to anybody. It's completely unique.
Speaker 1: A question along these lines. So obviously you have Engle, you fly into London. Yeah, the courses are mostly about an hour outside of of of London that are in the in in in like the Surrey in Surrey.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, roughly Huntercombe was like ninety minutes, which was the longest from.
Speaker 4: And we stayed in Windsor, which is basically a town that is, you know, south west of the main part of London, and that put us in a position to get to these courses more quickly.
Speaker 1: Would it be easy to get to London from there though, like train.
Speaker 4: From from Windsor or from yeah, from Windsor, Yeah, yeah, we didn't really do that. Matt was in a car, and of course I was in the bus with all the people who were on the trip. But you know, historically, I'm not sure how much these train lines are still in operation, but historically courses like Sunningdale and Woking Golf Club were established in their locations because there were railways that connected directly to them and people would travel from London on the train out to these locations. So they certainly are accessible by rail.
Speaker 1: And then the Southeast Coast, the other part of your trip is about two hours from London.
Speaker 4: Correct, yeah, two to two and a half.
Speaker 1: A question I have is the Southeast Coast where you get Prince's Royal Sinkport's Rye, Saint George's Royal State George's. Is that enough for its own trip or do you need the other stuff?
Speaker 2: I think, without a doubt, you could just go on your own trip to the coast. I think the quality of those courses like Royal Sinkports, and specifically I was like kind of sad we didn't get to like walk around and see it again because there's this middle stretch of the golf course where there's just stunning golf hole after stunning golf hole. So I think, without a doubt, you could go just to the coast there and like play thirty six even more at each of the courses. We had a thirty six whole day at Royal Saint George's, and I think that was likely the fan favorite from all the people on the trip, So you can definitely like just go there and play multiple courses multiple times.
Speaker 4: At Royal Saint George's, thirty six whole day was incredible, and I think people really appreciated the opportunity to play that course twice and really get to know it, and a lot of folks on the trip wished that they had a similar opportunity at Royal Sinkports, where we could have just spent an entire day exploring that golf course because it really deserves to be played twice and then you could go to Rye Golf Club, which isn't far away, also on the coast, also a links golf course, also one where you could definitely play thirty six holes and have a really good day. Then there are twenty seven holes at Prince's Golf Club. Now I would say that Prince's was the least of the golf courses that we saw in terms of quality, but still really enjoyable, still right on the ocean, still on a legitimate piece of links land, twenty seven holes. You could definitely devote a day to that, or even a day and a half, and so you could construct a fantastic trip out of just visiting that piece of coastline. Little Stone is also a really good Yeah, it's a I think, yeah exactly, Yeah, it's a CB McDonald was inspired by one of the holes at Littlestone. I think it's a Harry Colt course and it has has kind of a heathling character. But it's close to the coast. So that's a terrific golf course that's roughly in this area that you could also visit. And then you know, above all, I think just traveling to this area is so fun because the towns of Sandwich and Deal and and the towns that are kind of up and down this stretch of coastline are so interesting in and of themselves have a lot of history. You know, one of these towns that we were close to, I forgot the name of it, but was the town where all the ships launched during the Dunkirk evacuation because it's one of the kind of shortest trips across the English Channel to get to to get to France on the other side, and so that's where that's where a lot of the boats that they sent out to evacuate people set off from. And I'm you know, there's there's so much interesting history to learn about there. Pretty nearby is where swimmers art when they swim across the channel. They do that they do the channel crossing, and you know, Matt and I literally had a moment where we were looking across the channel and could see France on the other side. It's it's it's very very close there.
Speaker 1: So it's a distinctive area attempted to swim.
Speaker 4: Not at this point in my life.
Speaker 2: That that time. That town is called Ramsgate and from Royal Saint George's you can see it. Uh, kind of across the sea there, and then also I wanted to point out just south of that is Dover and they have the the White Cliffs of Dover, which I learned about as I drove through the town and saw these enormous, like bright white cliffs, which are really cool. But another thing that's really cool about the three courses and Princes Royal, Saint George's and Royal Sinkports is they're all within like maybe two miles total of coastline, maybe three miles whatever it is. They're very very close in proximity, essentially all their property lines touch each other. But the formation of dunes between these three courses are like so vastly different. It's like when I was there, I was like scratching my head, like just in disbelief. I was like, how can these dunes be so different and so close to each other? Because each three course has like a very distinct kind of formation of dunes in size and the way they look and the way they kind of interact with the golf courses. So I think that in itself allows you to go there and it doesn't just feel like you're playing three really similar links golf courses. They're all very very different and right there where you can literally walk between them if you really had to.
Speaker 4: The Royal St George's dunes are huge, especially in those first few holes, kind of classic dune land that maybe would remind you of Ireland. And then the Prince's dunes are much lower and much more linear, and so the course is quite flat but has a lot of interesting micro contour through the fairways.
Speaker 1: And then that looks more like a Scotland, yeah, type of links Land, and I've always thought Royal Safe George just looks more like Ireland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was that was our impression as well. And then Royal Sinkports is something else entirely where the there's a variety. There are some big dune formations at Royal Sinkboats and some more subtle ones, but they have a different shape at Royal Sinkports, where they're more wavy and more ripply and kind of up and down, whereas at Royal Saint George's they're very rounded and kind of mountainous. And so it's it's just a completely different kind of terrain, even though it is the same stretch of Lynxland. You know that all these courses basically about each other.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's get to kind of some of your favorite courses from the trip. I'd love to hear from each of you your three favorite courses and why and if it's the same, feel free to discuss together. You know this is this is a good time for me to check out for a few minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, okay, So three favorite courses from the trip. I loved all the courses that we saw on the trip. I think that, you know, a consensus among everybody who went on the trip is that Royal Saint George's was probably the best course that we saw. A very complete golf course. You know, many great UK Links courses that you see maybe lack a little bit of complexity at the green complexes, but that's not something that you find at Royal Saint George's. These greens are incredibly sophisticated and natural and beautiful and interesting, and so it's it's one of the most complete golf courses from tee to green that I've ever seen. So so Royal Saint George's was sort of a cut above for me.
Speaker 1: Is it maybe a great Is it maybe a great marker that tour pros dislike Royal Saint George's is the least favorite of tour pros in the open ro to is that maybe the best monikers you can have.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that a great endorsement that like, regular golfers will love this golf course.
Speaker 4: It's a great indication. I think. I'm not sure how many of them get out to see Royal Sinkports too, but Royal Sinkports is in some ways similar to Royal Saint George's in the sense that it's a very complete golf course, has amazing land, and then the greens there are absolutely incredible. So those were probably that for me the top two courses, most most memorable and most compelling golf courses that we saw on the trip. And then you know Sunningdale Old absolutely brilliant golf course that Matt actually didn't get to see, but but such an interesting heath Lynd golf course that would probably come come in third for me on my on my list of favorites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would tend to agree Royal Saint George's is certainly the top dog I was. I wasn't expecting like a ton like obviously I knew it's a very highly regarded golf course, but I was pretty definitive in thinking that Royal Port Rush was the best open venue in the in the rotation, and after seeing Royal Saint George's, I think there's a pretty like tough battle there between them of which one's the best. Like the set of greens at Royal Saint George's are almost mind blowing, Like there's not a single one that you wouldn't want to like skip over miss They're just absolutely incredible. And then out of the Surrey courses that I saw Garrett mentioned, I didn't get to go to Sunningdale, I made a little bit of a side quest to the Addington Club, which was really cool. It's kind of ongoing a lot of renovation restoration work under Clayton Devrees and Pond, so there's a lot of cool stuff happening there which was really fun to see.
Speaker 1: But some in the before and after images of the Addington and the tree removal and the restored greens are just shocking. I got to know Ryan when he was in the United States, like in you know, kind of early twenty seventeen maybe, and he gave me his master plan book and it's unbelievable to just see this work being carried out. I also appreciate the process that they're going through where they're kind of taking it piecemeal. They haven't done just a full shutdown. It seems like a very sensible project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool because right after, I guess Harry Colt came in and did some work I think in the late twenties early thirties, but they took a bunch of photos from all the tea's, like these incredibly high resolution photos of a lot of the holes right after he did a lot of work, So they have like these incredible kind of archives of what the course was and what they're looking to restore it back to. As well as the original architect, Abercrombie, that was like his home course and he was constantly revising it over his lifetime, kind of like the stories you hear of Mackenzie at pas Tiempo and Donald Rossett at Pinehurst Number two. So it's almost like this one architects like baby and child who he nurtured and was constantly evolving throughout his career. So it is really a cool golf course to go see and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a trip to this area. But the last course I wanted to touch on. I'd agree with Garrett and Royal. Saint George's and Saint Port's is kind of one and two, and then Saint George's Hill, which is a hairy Colt design in the heathlens. It's on a very like, pretty severe piece of land, a lot of hills, pretty good walk, but it's it's an incredible golf course, really cool golf holes throughout the front nine. I really enjoyed. Was was all I got to really walk and play, and then I had to to to skirt off and fly the drone to take some photos. But that one really sticks out in my memory and when I really hope to get back after they complete a lot of their restoration work. They have scheduled next summer.
Speaker 1: How you know, so they're they're working with Brian Schneider. I was curious that photos of Saint George's Hills that always struck me as this is a place I would really like to play golf. What do you think it's potential is with with some sensical work there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's already, Yeah, it's already an incredible golf course, Like it's only going to get better and better and better. Specifically, I know, like holes like the eighth has this huge landform it plays up on this hill. It's a world class par three, but I think there used to be a double green on that hole, so there was a green kind of on this lower tier where the land dips down severely. The bunkers in the hill short of the green used to be these massive, like blowout styled bunkers that were really dramatic looking. So we'reclaiming a lot of that stuff from back in the twenties, kind of this ruggedness of the site and then green expansions, maybe expanding some of the corridors just a little bit. The corridors are plenty wide for play and the trees don't really come into play, but I think opening it up a little regaining some of the heather kind of off the sides of the planing corridors is just gonna to send that golf course to like a very very high tier of golf course in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think what has happened at a lot of heathling courses over time is that they've been left alone for the most part, and they've evolved because of that. But they've never really been severely changed, severely altered. And so at Saint George's Hill you have a golf course that I think is really well preserved. It is a well preserved hairy cult design and it just needs a little bit of brightening up at the edges to be really really great. And I think the same could be said of the new course at Sunningdale Golf Club, which is another Hairy Colt design from the nineteen twenties. Gil Hants has a plan out there right now to remove quite a few trees, but aside from that, just to widen things out a bit, uh, you know, take the greens back to their former dimensions, recapture some intricacies of the bunkers. And if you do a little bit of that work at these golf courses then I think it's it's really gonna stun people what they what they look like afterwards. And so Saint George's Hill and Sunningdale New for me are in a similar category. They are these extremely well preserved Golden Age designs that just could use a little bit of TLC and then and then they'll really shine.
Speaker 1: If you guys were going to put one of the holes that you played in your backyard from the trip. What hole would it be?
Speaker 2: Go for it, Matt, Let me think the there's two that really stick out to me.
Speaker 1: You gotta pick one, all right.
Speaker 2: I'll pick the one on the coast. It's the sixth hole at Royal Sinkports. Unfortunately I did not get to play it, but I walked it and Part four and then I.
Speaker 1: Thought I was photography duty. So yeah, but golf had that guy.
Speaker 4: That worked in some golf when he could, but he he had a job to do and and he was he was very attentive to that job. Then there was good light at Royal Snport, so you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I actually parked up on a doune right above this golf hole to fly the drone. So I was just sitting there looking at the hole for about an hour and a half two hours. Saw a few groups come through. But it's this really cool short. Part four plays over some of the most dramatic land on the course, but the tea is kind of perched up against there's this sea wall that they built, kind of a natural sea wall. It's like a big burm essentially, with a walking path on top of it. But the course used to flood quite a bit, and I think in the eighties they built this this giant berm to help the course from flooding. But this pole plays right up along that and directly in line with you can see the green through these massive dunes. You'll see the flag sticking up. But the fairway goes down to the left kind of plays down into this hollow, and then if you go that route, you're just gonna hit a wedgshot up to this green. But the green is perched up on this like really high point and it falls off on all sides. So from the tee like if it's down when, which it was when we were there, the caddies are just saying, like send it, like everyone go for the green if you had the distance. So you just like see this flag poking up out of these wild, undulating dunes. So there's two ways of like go for it or play it safe. And then even if you play it safe, you're down in this fairway and you're just looking up with this green like probably fifteen twenty feet above you, and it's a pretty small green. Entire green pitches away from you, so you have to have like a very precise wedshot to get it close, but it's bunkerless, like it plays over this tumultuous land and it just looks like a hole that like you could just play one hundred times and never have a bad time planet.
Speaker 4: It would be a different outcome every time on the sixth hole Royal Sinkports, Yeah, because the land is so wild there and it just can deflect your ball in all sorts of different directions. Yeah, I love that hole as well. There are there are a few at Royal Snkports that that I would put in the in the same category. And those holes are all kind of clustered around that middle section of the golf course where the dune land gets gets really wild, and so so that's a lot of candidates there, you know. I think that you know, when I'm when I'm thinking of a hole that I want to put in my backyard or a green that I'd want to put in my backyard, I go more toward some of the heathland courses that we saw and the and the reason for that is that the architecture in the English heathlands is so interesting to me because it was really some of the first great inland golf architecture.
Speaker 1: It's when the practice became professionalized exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so Sunningdale Knew was built in nineteen oh one and really nothing had been built that was like it previously, because you know, a golf course that was that well worked out on an inland property was sort of foreign to the minds of golfers at the time. And so you know, architects who were working on these heathland properties were inventing the profession basically as they were going along, and that gives the architecture there a kind of freedom and spontaneity that you don't really see many places. And a great example of just the weirdness of golf course design and the heathlands is at Huntercombe Golf Club. The first golf course that we saw Willie Park Junior golf Course from the first decade of the twentieth century, and the greens there are incredibly inventive and you can tell that they were built by somebody who was just trying things and who didn't know what a golf course green should look like, and so they have this wonderful creativity to them. Specifically, the fourth green, the green on the fourth hole at Huntercombe Golf Club is absolutely incredible. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but it has a severe two tiered construction with a very low section on the right side, and it's just and the whole thing is a little bit sunken down into the ground. There are these sharp edges all around it. A couple of times recently, the American architect Andy Staples has built versions of this green at a couple of his courses, specifically at Meadowbrook Golf Club outside of Meadowook Country Club outside of Detroit. On one of the holes there, he built kind of a replica of the of the fourth green at at Huntercombe. And yeah, it's just so fun, so spontaneous, so creative. That's the kind of green that I would that I would want to have in my backyard. There are a couple of examples of of these types of greens, of these of these really eccentric greens at Huntercombe that would be equally equally fun to to try to replicate. And then at Woking Golf Club as well, there are some versions of like double plateau greens there that just kind of come out of nowhere and and you look at them and just say, you know, why, why can't architecture be this free and quirky anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a great question. It seems like that might be a trend of the future. If I had a guess, is that there will be more freedom a little bit less worry about fairness, which is kind of dominated golf architecture since stroke play became the dominant form of the game of golf. If you guys could do something differently about the trip, what would you have done other than matt yours can't be play more golf.
Speaker 2: One thing that I was really sad I didn't get to do was visit the castle in Windsor, where we were staying for about half the trip. I don't know all the history about it, but our hotel was directly across the street from it, so we're staring at it for three or four days and it's just an enormous castle. People are saying there's like two or three churches in there that are really architectural design pieces that are worth seeing. I think just like going there and spending the day like walking around this ancient castle would be really cool thing to do and kind of sad that I didn't have more time to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think building in some time on this kind of trip to to go out and see attractions like that would be would be something I'd look to do because the the areas around, uh, these golf courses and the areas around where we are staying or were so interesting and I would have loved to explore them a little bit more. I mean, I think you know when you we we spent a week basically seeing Heathland golf courses and then and then going down to the to the Sandwich Coast to see the Links golf courses, and you just wonder what you could do with two weeks. Basically, you'd probably play Royal Sink Ports twice. You'd you'd probably check out Golf Club, you'd probably hit a couple more Heathland courses like Swinley Forest, and maybe go check out Walton heath to to really get a more complete sense of what Heathland golf is like. And and so those are the things that are kind of on my mind. But I'm not sure for a week long trip like we did that I would really do anything differently. I think it was basically a perfect trip for the amount of time that we had, and so for anybody who's looking to put together a week long itinerary in the Heathlands and in the southeast coast of England. I think we did a good itinerary and I think you should pretty much copy it if you do something similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you know, you went on a trip with was it sixteen or twenty?
Speaker 4: It was fifteen? Other fifteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen other people in addition do us?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people come as pairs, some people come as singles, some people come as you know, other denominations of small groups. What were your what were your takeaways from the trip of people beating and playing world class golf together.
Speaker 4: We had so much fun. You know. I think everybody was there for the right reasons. Everybody wanted to see some extremely historically interesting golf courses and learn about the architecture there, and and and so we just had an absolutely wonderful time. And I think everybody got to kind of play, uh and talk with everybody else, and so our group cohered pretty quickly. And and yeah, I mean, what can you say, We just had an absolutely wonderful time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's really cool to like just go on a trip like this with a bunch of strangers. Essentially, I think I knew one person on the trip outside of Garrett that I'd previously met, and then by the end of the trip, like everyone's exchanging phone numbers and saying, hey, if you're ever in this area, come check out my club and I'll host you, and all different kinds of things like that, Like people are already setting up future trips with each other just from you know, spending a quick week with a like minded kind of golf nut creates these kind of lasting relationships. So I think that was one really cool thing to kind of sit back and watch develop as the trip went on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I did pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. Our trip to Scotland, and one of my favorite lasting memories is just thinking about we took buses places, but we stayed in Saint Andrew's and how disjointed the group was at the start of the trip, where you know, people didn't really know each other. They were you know, they would talk, but people stuck to their clans. And then by the end it was just like, what's everybody doing for dinner? You know, we're going here, you know, maybe one other group's going here, And it was like kind of like everybody melded together and you saw everybody getting along and everybody friends. It's it's a very it's an interesting, like just social experiment, these these trips, and it's fascinating to see obviously, like I think like when you share a passion like golf, it makes it really easy to make friends because you're starting from a ground of like, oh, we have a common interest that we can always fall back on talking about if there's a dead spot. And that's been my favorite experience about the trips is just watching watching the people and and them interact. And I think it I think like the thing that I didn't think going into it that I walk away with is like, this is like an exceptional way to go if you if you can go, but you like, these trips are really hard to do as a as a single or a twosome or even a foursome, and it's really hard to organize a time where eight people can get together to go somewhere for a week. And these trips, I think the value of them is like, if you want to go somewhere, this provides you a wonderful opportunity to go somewhere and have everything taken care of for you, and you know you're going to make friends along the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's there's time to make friends. There there's time to forge these connections with people because you aren't you aren't constantly running from one place to the next. You can you can sit down and have a meal with somebody, you can go out and play a round of golf with them and end up spending several hours with them, uh during during the day, and you aren't constantly pressed to to to go to the next thing. And so yeah, these it's it just feels very natural the way that these friendships and connections form over the course of a trip like this because you all start from a common basis of you love golf, You're you're passionate about travel and golf courses, and from that foundation, I personally find it very easy to build relationships with people. And I think that that's uh yeah, that's that's something both Matt and I really appreciated on this trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, on that are we have our trips are are filled for twenty six. We're doing three. I anticipate we'll do more in twenty seven, but just keep your eyes out for those and if you want to you want to book a trip, we do do uh trip planning for people now as well, so that you can find that on our website. Garrett and Matt, big thanks for coming on. I can't wait to see all the stuff that you guys will make from England. I know that there will be a guide, there will be a lot of social videos, there will be a lot of course profiles written on the website. So I can't wait to see all the stuff you guys produced from a once in a lifetime trip. Thanks for coming on, Thanks say thanks all right, thank you for listening to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. We will be back next week. I think we're going to do a podcast with Kevin van Welkenberg about some big topics in golf and look forward to doing that. And big thanks to p J. Clark always for producing and editing this podcast. Thanks