Speaker 1: Indy has reached a glorious age that I don't think I quite got here until way later, like maybe in my teens.
Speaker 2: But man, kids are sophisticated. Indie's very sophisticated media savvy. He is now enjoying bad movies. We like watching horrible movies together.
Speaker 1: He's discovered the like, I think it's really empowering for kids, you know, when they realized like, oh it's okay that this is bad or that that's bad acting. And so I had never seen this film, but there is a legendary bad movie called Troll two.
Speaker 3: Yeah it will. I have not, but it is a legend.
Speaker 4: It is a legend.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, we've watched it twice. His friends.
Speaker 1: We have now watched the documentary that the kid who was in the movie made in two thousand and eight, which is spectacular. I am telling you this is like I mean, I had heard about this forever. It's one of those like film geek things like oh, there's tons of bad movies and then there's one that's.
Speaker 3: Like so bad but also so entertaining, and it's Troll two.
Speaker 1: And so I was like, oh, India, you know, because he was like, I want to watch a bad movie where in this on this kick and I'm like, let's do it, and Alex had never seen it. We laughed start to finish, and like literally the next night he's like, let's watch it again, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Were you lost because you hadn't seen the first one? Were you?
Speaker 4: Like? Wait? But I don't know these characters.
Speaker 1: The best part is that this was this is a movie about goblins. They never mentioned trolls once to troll one, apparently.
Speaker 5: Our trolls and goblins interchangeable.
Speaker 3: Well, according to this movie, but according to me, according to Will, of course.
Speaker 1: Not, they're completely different tribes, different languages.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly what system.
Speaker 1: It's like mixing leprechauns and trolls. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, thank you? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So this this film it so bonkers, you guys. It's basically, they go to this family. This little boy is being haunted by the ghost of his dead grandfather who's telling them that his family cannot go to this town because they're going to be eaten by the goblins there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you got me right, And.
Speaker 1: The goblins are eating people and the whole movie is anti vegetarianism. Oh my, Apparently the woman who wrote it, so it's an Italian couple that wrote it and directed it, and that kind of goes a long way to explain why the movie is so weird. Is that there was a language barrier. They were trying to communicate with these actors, American actors who had no idea what was going on. And if you watch a documentary, you get to see them like re creating what it was like directing and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, well, this is why this movie is so bad.
Speaker 1: But what makes it so great, And like the problem with most bad movies is that they get boring after a while because you could just see the like the poor filmmaking. You could see like, oh, they just got lazy, they gave up, they didn't get that shot, they didn't have the effects. This movie is so committed it actually believes it's got an important thing to say about how vegetarians are awful and that these goblins who are turning people into trees in order to eat them. So even though the goblins are eating people, they're vegetarians. That's that's like the weird.
Speaker 3: Right, none of it makes it.
Speaker 1: And then like from actor to actor, like some people like are so committed and believing that they're in like just a full on horror film that's like straight, and then other people are playing it so campy and over the top, like they're in like, you know, a kid's movie that's.
Speaker 3: Like whoa, it's so creepy. It is the most ridiculous You will have so much fun.
Speaker 4: Is it the worst movie you've ever seen?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 4: No, I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's the most entertaining bad movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Like I we laughed start to finish, We learned a lot, We talked a lot, like and you know, I think, like I'm saying, for Indians, empowering to be like that person's a bad actor and be like, yeah, yeah, they really are. And he's like, because no one talks like that. You're like exactly, and we're just we just had so much fun. And so now last night we started Macing Me, which is like an.
Speaker 4: Et ripoff, which is which is staggeringly badly staggeringly.
Speaker 7: Bad, with a McDonald's commercial with McDonald's.
Speaker 3: In the middle of the dance number McDonald's.
Speaker 7: Oh my god. I think one other crazy trivia about troll Ye Okay, so first you mentioned the documentary Michael Stevenson made a great doc It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's actually profound. I thought it was such a good documentary.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the first Troll is a decent, you know, bad horror movie, not like Troll two.
Speaker 3: I've heard the first one.
Speaker 7: The main character's name in Troll one Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: No really ye? Could she have been inspired with No?
Speaker 7: I think it's just weirdly coincidental coincidence.
Speaker 4: That's what happens to Harry, who goes out over the dark arts and he becomes a troll.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: A goblin.
Speaker 4: Well, no, the first one's a troll.
Speaker 3: First one they moved to the town of nil nil Bog Nilog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're sitting there going and then the kid and you're like, well, it's goblin backwards, And the kid finally says, nil Bog, it's goblin backwards. We all saw it, and we're like, that's why they couldn't change it to goblin. They had to keep a troll. But then they were like, but it's too important that the town they couldn't have moved.
Speaker 3: Lore No exactly, rather effective.
Speaker 7: Can I suggest your next bad movie for.
Speaker 3: I've got one too, I've got one too.
Speaker 7: You go first, here we go bird bird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so good and I'm gonna throw rubber onto the Oh.
Speaker 7: My god, rubbers. Good Will, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Bad?
Speaker 4: Good though, Jensen?
Speaker 7: Oh, I just suggested a movie. Will suggested a good movie that's a.
Speaker 4: Chandemic and your rubbers about right. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, that's the tire that's going on. I heard that was like a great movie.
Speaker 4: It is, it is great, incredible things. It's a great No, it's great, but it's it's not a good movie.
Speaker 3: It's a bee movie. You're you're just making like a good B movie.
Speaker 1: I want a movie that's like like Sady is going, yeah, making something great, really reaching and just doesn't get there, because that's where it's so fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, even macinbe wasn't nearly as entertainment.
Speaker 7: Will suggested a movie that's actually pretty great. I suggested a movie that shows a scene where someone walks out of their house, gets in a car, drives to another place, and gets out of their car, and that's the entire scene. You don't great, don't talk and brilliant.
Speaker 4: That's the point. Entrance ins and exits, they say, make those longer in every film that's the best way to do it. Okay, so troll to Troll two.
Speaker 1: But then also will you have to watch the documentary. It's one of the best documentaries about fandom and how people relate to like something that they were in that I've seen since Treki's.
Speaker 3: Remember Treki's, Yeah, great movie. It feels like that.
Speaker 1: And and in the same way that Treki's has that documentary where you're like, you are judging these people, but then you kind of start to feel sorry for them and like you kind of you get emotionally invested in them, the Troll two documentary does the same thing.
Speaker 3: With the actors.
Speaker 1: You watch them realize they were in a bad movie come to terms with it, some of them, others completely not understand it.
Speaker 3: Some like it's it's and it's all being.
Speaker 1: Directed by the kids. So he like grew up thinking, like I was in this movie? What was that all about? And then it became this sort of cult phenomenon, and he's trying to make this documentary collecting the rest of the cast, and you really, I mean like it's it has a little bit of a Podmeats world vibe to it around like what was I in?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: How do other people feel about it? How does the culture feel about it?
Speaker 1: And you watch these actors like kind of go through they start going to conventions and like they think it's really cool, and then they like kind of get addicted to like needing the feedback of everyone loving this bad movie and they're not quite so interesting.
Speaker 3: That's a really great document.
Speaker 4: The only thing I would take umbrage with is judging the people from Treky's because I started at Star Trek conventions when I was a kid, Gary and I would go.
Speaker 3: My oldest brother would take me and.
Speaker 4: We loved it. So I love one of those people.
Speaker 1: Right, No, but you know how Treky's like just let it roll on, like the people being awkward or less socially, and it was clear that the director was like, this person's behavior is a little you know, abnormal or just different than like what and this h the documentary for Troll two does the same thing, like just lets it rest. And at first you're like kind of like, oh my god, I can't believe that person said that.
Speaker 3: That's that's hysterical or that's weird.
Speaker 1: And then you start to feel for them and you're like no, I totally like you get invested it's yeah.
Speaker 3: These both available somewhere to stream. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Troll two is on HBO right now, or maybe we rented it. We might have had to rent Troll too, but the doc is available. I think the doc was available.
Speaker 5: Let's try to get Michael. Let's try to get Michael Stevenson. Heck yeah, let's interview him. That'd be.
Speaker 7: Best best worst movie.
Speaker 3: By the way, is there a Troll three? Yeah? I think so. I think so.
Speaker 4: But is this one about elves? It's just never just the first Troll is just about trolls. Now, Danielle, tell us what you know about goblin society. Mmm.
Speaker 5: I think goblins are small, okay, but I don't know. I think goblins have pointy ears. Okay. I thought goblins were only things that were statues.
Speaker 3: Those are GOLs or are you mean goblins?
Speaker 4: You know you're talking about Yeah, Uhblin. He did a whole cartoon about him. Gotham.
Speaker 5: They're called they're outside of the library. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 4: That's not a goblin.
Speaker 3: No, that's as think of this, not think of this word.
Speaker 4: No, it's not a there's.
Speaker 7: No, it's I'm helping you. This is way too funny.
Speaker 4: You don't know. I have the same thing. Goblins.
Speaker 5: They have little they have short malstunacks and their statues outside of like.
Speaker 3: Thanks, those statues that come to life. It's not called goblins. Those are No, they're not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they are, that's what they can't remember.
Speaker 7: They'll do it. They're gargoyles.
Speaker 4: Gargoyles. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Well, I think a goblin is a gargoyle.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, gargoyles fly gargoyles or statues. Gargoyles guard things. Yeah, no, goblins are you know. They tend to live underground.
Speaker 3: They have round heads. They live underground.
Speaker 4: Their shirt they're about usually warriors, a lot to do with smelting metal.
Speaker 1: Usually they're sort of like the evil dwarves.
Speaker 3: They're like the opposite of doors. They're always at war with dwarves and.
Speaker 4: Or elves or elves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, goblins. Goblins are usually pretty. They're they're kind.
Speaker 4: Of always they're they're the bad guy if you're really a goblinist.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that's the problem.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people out there that deal in goblinism that I'm not a big fan of.
Speaker 3: Just like, don't judge a book by its cover.
Speaker 4: People, that's all saying.
Speaker 5: This is fascinating. Yeah, welcome to Pond meets World.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm writer Strong, and I'm Bracht. It's my goblin name.
Speaker 4: I'm Wilcome. You mean.
Speaker 3: Carg name, Cargo name.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's difficult for writer and me to accept the fact that our best friend here, Will has any other friends or coworkers. How can that be more than us? How does he have time in between thinking about us? Come on, But we have to admit it. He's been in other things and made other friends. He was a batman for goodness sake. He probably even knows the joker well. Earlier this week we dug into one of those projects, and now we dig into one of those friends. Will is beloved for his work on the animated show Kim Possible, for which we just recapped an episode, and Yes, in addition to Eric Matthews, he will also always be known as Ron Stoppable, and a part of that lore will always include his co star, the icon the uber cool high school student by day, globe trotting crime fighter by night. Kim Possible. She was an incredibly rare female heroine in the two thousands, giving hope to girls everywhere that they could be both the relatable main character yet an extraordinary leader at the same time. And the show has withstood the test of time, almost as popular today on Disney Plus as it was during its Disney Channel run. Just ask the Beebers, a family who dressed up as Team Possible just last Halloween. And so to analyze Kim Possible even more, this week, we're talking to the hero herself, capable, confident, stress free, and ready to save the day. I'm talking about the guests now, not Kim Possible. This week on Podmets World, let's welcome Christy Carlson Ramana on the podcast. Welcome Christy, thank you so much for joining our little Kim Possible reunion. We had realized that writer and I were criminally uneducated when it came to the show, so we're digging in. But once we realized Writer was on it, it seemed like the uh, the perfect time to recap it.
Speaker 4: Didn't matter that I was on it, just that they're like, oh my god, writers on the show, let's recap it.
Speaker 5: I was like, Yeah, firs of us are in something. It feels like we absolutely have to cover it.
Speaker 6: I think that's fair and you know, Kim Possible was so good about casting, like so many great people, right, like we've talked about it at cons and just like we got really lucky.
Speaker 4: We had insane guest stars, like especially the villains. I mean it was well, I mean what Elliott Gould played my dad, Jean Smart was your mom. Ricardo Montalband played one of the I mean it was like one after another of these incredible people that we never got to meet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the only crappy part was having the community if impossible to not actually knowing significant Yeah, like writer, you were a consistent character like Brick was in almost every episode.
Speaker 1: I feel, No, I think I only did. I don't know how many I did, but but I.
Speaker 3: Actually met you.
Speaker 1: You were the only cast member met because we met in New York at a recording session because we were both Yeah, we were both recording in New York, right because you were were you going to school there or you were just living there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was in Columbia at the time.
Speaker 3: Did I So that's the thing.
Speaker 5: What, Yes, you guys didn't know that you were at Columbia Again, I.
Speaker 1: Remember I remember when you were at Columbia, but I remember the idea that was like, oh, we're both recording remotely, but we didn't actually record together. We just passed each other in the hallway and I was like, oh, you're Kim, And I was like, I don't know what this show is, like, you's no rules on it, but I guess Kim's a big part. Nice to meet you and we met. So when did you guys meet? When did actually in person.
Speaker 4: For the last Did we audition together? Did we do an audition together at the end, or did we just go straight in and record the pilot together?
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 6: I think that there was like what they called like an animatic where they were testing out at least me and in like a scene, but then you were in the scene, so I just don't remember if your voice was already attached to that.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, because I know they were looking for both.
Speaker 4: I mean, I I know that for Ron, there was the people that they brought in was were like John Cena apparently read to play.
Speaker 6: Really, there's a lot of more surrounding that there is.
Speaker 4: Pat Neil Patrick Harris was another one. Apparently there's like this longest you can.
Speaker 6: See him being a good option.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he probably would have been better. Let's say, Yeah, I think he would be.
Speaker 4: It would have been more musical.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I'm saying. I sang I did a couple of songs for.
Speaker 4: Yah Make Yeah, but no, I did an actual song too with John Demanto. We did a Christmas song together Ron Jacken. Yeah, Ron and Dracken did a Christmas song together, which was which was really funny.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: But no, I don't remember. I don't remember when we actually met the first time. But and then we recorded the pilot together, maybe one episode, and then I don't think I ever saw you again.
Speaker 6: No, come on, we saw each other more than that. I think we saw each other maybe a handful of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you were in New York recording and I was always with Nicole Sullivan and Johnny Demagio who were chatting Dracken.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I saw you the most of everybody. And now now we can't get enough of each other because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: You know we've had podcasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were my first.
Speaker 4: This is my I feel like I'm cheating on you with my It's like I'm with my new podcast family with my first wife, and it's like, oh, hey, okay, we did I Hear Voices Together, which is the first podcast I'd ever done.
Speaker 6: And I'm your side piece, Christie.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit difficult to fully confirm online, but was Kim possible your first ever voiceover gig? It was not.
Speaker 6: I mean a lot of us who grew up in the biz in New York specifically too, like we were pushed into so many different little rooms, dark rooms, and like I did jingles, I did books on tape when I was in New York. I did. I definitely did. I did some really whack a doo a show on Nickelodeon called any an Audi. Google it if you want to get scarred.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: When Nickelodeon did a lot of like you know, the Big Help in the nineties, they did a lot of like really wacky shows. They still do. But it was like two little girl's stomachs and like it was one wasn't any and one was an audi, and the actresses would move their bellies to make it talk.
Speaker 4: Solast action bellies like actual live action bellies.
Speaker 5: With you the voice of the innye or the audi.
Speaker 6: I don't remember, but Jess to Chico was the other was was.
Speaker 3: The other belly button. But it wasn't your real belly button.
Speaker 6: You have to she was not, and hopefully they were not minor belly buttons, you know what I mean, Like I think that it was theyfully grown up stomachs.
Speaker 3: How would you audition for this for the live action belly You.
Speaker 6: Called Nickelodeon Studios and it was it was on Times.
Speaker 3: Square back then. I remember that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you would just go up and they would have the wacky elevators with I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to know how that pitch meeting went, like, what, executive, you know what we need belly button?
Speaker 3: You know, you know why?
Speaker 4: You know what a lot of that is from though. Do you remember one of the biggest commercials at the time was the Whistling belly Button with the song Oh, I forget the song, but it became big and it was what's her name from Sopranos was the one singing the song that was coming out.
Speaker 3: Of the belly button.
Speaker 6: Jamie Lynn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Jamie Lynn.
Speaker 4: I think he was who was singing the belly the belly button song and it's like whistling, and it became one of the biggest commercials of like the late nineties early aughts. So I bet you that had something to do with and and everyone will know exactly when when they see it, they'll know exactly the commercial that I'm talk talking about. And I, oh, I'm coming out. I want the word to and she's singing that. It's the belly Button singing that as it's going and that became a huge thing.
Speaker 3: I'm coming out.
Speaker 6: I see Jamie often. She lives in Austin.
Speaker 4: Here where I love really Okay, yeah.
Speaker 6: And she's a sweetheart. And actually we were both Bell on Broadway, so there's a lot of as people.
Speaker 3: Know, Bell and belly Button.
Speaker 6: Kelly and me and there you go.
Speaker 5: So you were already a Disney Channel mainstay with live action stuff, even Stevens and Cadet Kelly. Were they trying to plug you into a lot of other Disney projects or how did Kim possible come to you?
Speaker 6: I feel like at that point, Kim was like the cherry on top, and I don't think I could have committed to doing anything else because I was still you know, I was still trying to get into college, and so it was like my dance card was full. So like during the week, it would be even Stevens and then after hours, I chose not to do tutoring on set, so I would go home and do the education a portion of my day. So it was like I would still clock in thirteen hour days every day and then on the weekends it would be my Kim possible recording prior to me even in New York. So there was about a good i want to say, six months of me doing KIM in LA, which is where probably I saw you a couple times.
Speaker 4: Wait a second, Wait a second, You can opt out of doing set school and do it at home. I didn't even know that was an option.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was when we when it came to us being as convicted as my mom was, is like Christy's getting into you know, a good school. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting. So then you were essentially homeschooled while you were also doing also acting.
Speaker 6: And everything aggressively homeschooled by the way, like there was still like SAT prep and stuff, and I like tas from UCLA or yeah that would come for individual subjects, so they were like, you know, it was just kind of like as if you were an ap classes. But I think that they also logged my hours, which is probably what was the workaround for that. Right right, Yeah, So I would recommend it. To be honest, I would recommend it because I just think that when we're on set, especially as young people are like, it's hard to be present and then get pulled into try and learning. So I don't know, I think it's a good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, keeping them separate sounds like a great idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't. Again, I didn't even know that was a thing. I didn't even know you could do that.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 5: It's not as time efficient because there's obviously lots of downtime on a set, and so it does make sense that you're like, well, I could be learning during this downtime, but you're right that, Like, you go back and you've got twenty minutes and you get really into something, and then all of a Suddeny're like, we need you on set, and you're like, all right, I guess I'll put this down for forty five minutes and I'll come back to it. And it's hard to kind of switch that on and off. But you know, it does seem like it would be better for your schooling if you could just commit to the you know, solid chunk of time.
Speaker 6: I know the writer and I both ended up at the same school, so it worked out.
Speaker 3: It worked out, I've worked out.
Speaker 5: So when was the first time you saw your character design for Kim Possible? She is such a cool y two k like cool girl aesthetic.
Speaker 6: She does let's see see if you're looking at video, Yeah, Kim, I saw her.
Speaker 7: Once.
Speaker 6: I think I saw her in the animatic because they want to see if I can do that. Adr I think that was one of the bigger tests, was like she's young, you know, I was actually the age of the characters, so they were just like, can she actually navigate the tech of this? And they were really great at directing. You know, we had Chris as our first.
Speaker 3: Director, well, Chris Bailey was our first director, yep.
Speaker 6: And then Lisa Schaeffer after him. But Chris was really patient and so they really brought me into the fold and gave me a shot, like a true shot, not like a you know, we love aliceon Hannigan and we kind of really want, you know, a veteran celebrity here. But it was more like this freshness right where where Kim I think spoke like and define a whole generation. And so having been a part of that, I'm very protective of it and I'm so honored to have played it because I was her age and like I was going through a lot of that stuff. Then they would ask me questions about like where she worked. Club Banana was based on where I shopped at, which was like Club Monico. And I think they've paired it with Banana Republican.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly, Club Banana.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: No. And then for people out there listening who don't know, an animatic, by the way, is before they actually will fully animate a cartoon or animated series in any way, shape or form, they'll do something called an animatic, which is usually can be anywhere from ninety seconds to sometimes two or three minutes long. It's usually sometimes nothing more than really pencil sketch that they will animate and allow to do voiceover for as well, so you can kind of get the vibe of what the show is going to be without putting in all of the pencil mileage, without painting, without doing everything. That takes forever, because you know, we record an episode and then they'll send it to wherever it's being animated. A lot of times it's an Asia Ireland has become big with it now, and that episode will disappear for eight nine months a year, you know, sometimes more, and then it comes back and then you clean it up again.
Speaker 3: You do an eight R process, you do more dialogue there.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, when we recorded this a year ago, you and I were yelling at each other because they're supposed to be standing across this giant cavern, and now they animated it where we're standing in the same room. So obviously us screaming at each other doesn't make any sense. So you got to go in and kind of fix it up again. But the animatic I think was it was it Steve Loder who did all the animatics too.
Speaker 3: I mean I think he probably.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's very in house at that point. I think, like, you know, and then I do remember seeing more artwork when I went over to the animation building in Burbank, and that was when I got to meet, you know, Eugene, who's of our beautifully eccentric old school Disney two D animators. I guess the imagineers like because they treat them differently at Disney, like the the animation gets to have sideburns and tattoos and like rks and stuff like, whereas when you're not an imagineer, uh, you have to have a very or they used to. I think maybe they're but it used to be very strict, like dress coding for work and corporate culture was very different at that time.
Speaker 7: But I want to have been.
Speaker 6: Over there to see all this different artwork. It hit me that I was like part of something really major, and I was just really excited.
Speaker 5: So when was the first time you also heard the theme song, which is done by Christina Milion. It is so much better than it needed to be. It is stuck around.
Speaker 4: It is so good. It is far better.
Speaker 6: But I was getting ready today, I was thinking about the fact that like there's no way to thank her for how important, like what kind of contribution she made to the show. There's just no way to think she she owns it a little bit, but she's not like super nostalgic because she has a full you know, she's got for j Low and like everything else. So but I know she knows that it's like one of the things that is dear to her heart, right, But there's she really is one of because she was in every episode two with that song. She's like a character in the without even like it being.
Speaker 4: It was iconic that was starting with that I mean again. I was at a convention this weekend with Writer, and across the room I.
Speaker 3: Heard the deep deep, deep deep, which is the start.
Speaker 4: Of the thing. And I looked up and you just get that visceral like, oh god, Kim's calling or Wade's calling whatever. And I talked to the girl had it. She's like, oh god, this has been my ring tone since two thousand and three. She's like, every new phone, I get, every new everything, so I can hear it over everything, says you know, maybe half the time my phone goes off somewhere somebody comes up to me and goes, oh my god, the Kim Possible ringtone.
Speaker 3: It's just very well.
Speaker 5: We were actually all in Columbus together Will Writer and and myself, and we were with our dear friend Joey, and we were sitting there having breakfast or lunch, I don't remember, and all of a sudden, from across the room, We're like, is that the Kim Possible song? And then we like started looking around thinking are they doing it because they know Will is here? Nope, no glances toward us. Nothing. We were like, how do we how do we do this? So Writer and I got up and maybe Joey was the one who said it. I think, is that? Is that the Kim Possible theme song? From your friend? She's like, oh yeah, I absolutely love it. And Will came over and did the voice of Ron for them, and they lost their minds.
Speaker 4: There was the middle of a restaurant, just like some restaurant.
Speaker 5: No, not even not even at the con, just in life. It happened randomly and it was so cool. It was the voice that you did for Kim. Was it always the voice or had you tried other things?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would say that it was very nuanced, and of course my voice did end up changing, which I'm sure we'll talk about. But when I started it, I probably approached it very bubbly. But then what ended up happening with our first rector was they were like, we need him to be like action ready and sarcastic and sort of witty and dry.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 6: I've always been a really great Oh gosh, will help me out. What do they call it? The not the dry man, the hey man straight man. Yes, so that's like my thing, and I can come off a little. I'm really good at cast being cast as like a like in general, I've been cast that sometimes or.
Speaker 3: Like put you to Shia, Yeah, are connects.
Speaker 6: I was a straight man to Shia, and I think they wanted a little bit more of that to Will's Ron. And I think that's why we paired so well vocally because my and so Yeah, I think over the years I became more sarcastic, more dry, but they were always very quick to be like, hey, don't come off, don't come off like you're you can't stand Ron. And so they wanted her to be a hero, you know, but also be a really smart person, smart girl.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They went out of their way to that where the father is a rocket scientist and the mother's a brain surgeon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like, that's.
Speaker 4: What they're supposed to do, is they're supposed to She's supposed to be like the daughter of these two incredibly bright people who your dad is Gary Cole and your mom is Jean Smart.
Speaker 6: And you know what I loved about them and watching our episode that we watched for this is just like how real they played it. Mary Cole was still cracking dad jokes. But then he would like talk about a satellite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he always He's Gary Cole too, he always He's just got that kind of Well, I don't know, Ronald, He's just he's just Gary, you know, it's so funny.
Speaker 6: The perfect And yeah, it was actually that Kelly to you guys. So I had actually been with him that whole summer, I think before we really got into filming him, and I knew his voice.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, yes, so great and very iconic voice.
Speaker 6: But you know, Jeane Smart, I think I'm at once we were.
Speaker 4: Did you lucky? I never got a chance to meet her.
Speaker 6: I know, in passing, and she she was just such a class act. And she wasn't Designing Women right, Yes, Okay, so I grew up watching Designing Women and that's how I knew her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was with Delta Burke and everybody else, Dixie Carter, Jeans.
Speaker 3: Delta Burke.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I didn't realize just how iconic she was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's really glad that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: When you think of Kim, how do you like, how would you describe who Kim Possible is?
Speaker 6: Oh? Wow, fierce, loyal, fair, inclusive, uh, really warm and loving? Yeah, self sacrificing Yeah those things.
Speaker 4: Okay, And she's the Disney I mean, she's the thing they did so well. But it's so weird is in any other circumstance.
Speaker 3: She's the Disney princess. I mean she's got aerial hair.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like but at the same time, she's a regular high school girl. It's like, take one of those Disney princesses and just put them in high school for every day, and that's impossible.
Speaker 6: Well, and our animators actually Drew Bell and Drew Yeah, so I think they were modeling her.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: I didn't really so they you think they consciously did that. They were like, we're going to take the look of a Disney princess but completely change the character because I think so, Yeah, certainly, not like the typical Disney princess.
Speaker 3: Now a complete action star and midriff, like showing the mid drift and all that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like they modernized a Disney princess silhouette, right, Like they were trying to do something unique and they achieved it.
Speaker 4: And right Remember we were just at the convention with Steve and when we did that panel, Steve said that there was meeting after meeting after meeting about her breasts, like the shape of a breath, should they be pointy, should they be round? Should they be I mean this is, you know, a bunch of people sitting in a room talking about a sixteen year old animated character's silhouette. But right, I mean just that's but it shows you the amount of meetings that they haven't these we remember, you know, one of the things being like talking to the Mark mccorky and Bob's goooley about who are the creators of the show about you know, her outfit and they're like, yeah, we we have to have like hundreds of meetings if we want to change her shirt. Where so they you know, that's why she's she wears that what she's wearing in the picture behind Christy right now, she wears that. She wears her cheerleading outfit. That's it for like the entire series until the end where they're like, look, we want to switch it up. We want to put her in different things, but then everything has to be re animated. They have to do different kind of It's weird they're doing clothing wardrobe fittings on an animated character.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that in this episode that we watched, she also has her streetwear outfit, which is like she yeah, she had like a white shirt and green pants or something.
Speaker 4: But it was a major deal if they wanted to change this animated characters shirt was like meetings.
Speaker 1: Because I do think that it was pretty revolutionary to have like a girl superhero right hero at the time. I feel like now it's kind of standard, but it is interesting to be the way that they sort of made her kind of perfect. You know, she's everything.
Speaker 3: She's a cheerleader, popular and a.
Speaker 1: Hero and like I also, you know, going back to the princess thing, like I had the conscious thought, I was like, oh, Brick is the princess being saved by Kim and this he's the one in peril, right, yes, but you take a jock and the big football jock, and he's the one tied up that she's got to save. Do you Guysmber, what was the initial pitch beyond the story points? Like, what was like, yeah, so the guys Bob and Mark, great story.
Speaker 6: They were going up to pitch something else, I believe, right or no they.
Speaker 4: Left after a no no, no, I think they were going up. Weren't they the story? And now again everyone hears these stories. It's like the Michael Jacobs stories about I knew this or so we've heard this story.
Speaker 3: One hundred times.
Speaker 6: But who knows, well, yeah, panels and oh no, But when did Bob and Mark tell us this? I don't even remember.
Speaker 4: I think they've I think they said it on the on the DVD commentary too, and I think they've told us this a number of times.
Speaker 3: Tell the story.
Speaker 6: Sorry, Okay. So basically, they were going up to the Disney Channel building where Gary Marsh was awaiting them. Gary Marsh was a long time president and then global president of Disney Channel. He's pretty much the reason why Disney broke for so long in the Golden Era, so to speak, and he mentored a bunch of us young girls at the time. He was a really great guy anyway, So they were going up to him, and you know, I think Bob looks at Mark, or Mark looks at Bob and he goes, she's kim Possible, she can do anything. And the other looked at the at him and he goes, he's ron stoppable and he can't do anything.
Speaker 7: Something.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 3: They literally they just literally said those names to each other.
Speaker 4: In an elevator, apparently to buy themselves totally silent. One turned to the other and said, Kim Possible, she can do anything. And the other one turned back and said ron.
Speaker 6: Stoppable, and then they went upstairs they pitched it somehow and then that was it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that was that's so it's names.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what it's branding at the time. I mean when you think about it. But I know that we were the first show in the history of Disney Channel. And this is pre the Internet, the first show to be picked up for a fourth season because Disney Channel had the sixty five and out rules, so you hit three seasons and you're done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and was.
Speaker 6: Part of that, like we kicked out. And then I think Raven was the first.
Speaker 4: Live action yep, and ours was the first show on the entire Disney Channel and it was solely based on letter a letter campaign that people wrote in saying they wanted more episodes of Kim Possible. No Internet, nothing, just handwritten letters, we want more Kimpossible. I think there was a petition and they brought it back for a fourth season.
Speaker 3: Wow, which is really cool. And then we did a movie which was great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how was the movie? How did the movie? When did they pitch the movie idea to you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Gosh, we did multiple movies.
Speaker 3: We did oh wait, wait, I guess that's right.
Speaker 4: I guess, well, what they would do is they would do three or four episodes in a row that was one storyline, and then packages of this movie.
Speaker 5: Oh so perhaps how they did the movies.
Speaker 4: Well, I think A Stitch in Time was done that way, but I think so the drama was done as a movie, I believe. So. I think so what they'll do is they'll say, hey, we're going to do four episodes in a row that are this one storyline, and then we'll package that as a movie. And then do they.
Speaker 5: Do that because there's some financial benefit.
Speaker 3: To There must be there must be something.
Speaker 4: But then we thought the series was over and so they were going to end with the drama.
Speaker 6: When you do voice over work, you're paid per session, and you know, that was a little bit of a thing that we did back and forth on and I think some people in the cast were really good about standing their ground on you know, different seasons and renegotiating, and I'm like really grateful to that because I hadn't. I was just happy to be there. But in the end, I think we got paid pretty fairly and like we had really great morale with Lisa and Bob and Marcin. Yeah, like we all loved each other even from you.
Speaker 3: Know, well, we're still friends with all them.
Speaker 4: I talk to Lisa all the time, and you know, Lisa directed me then in Guardians of the Galaxy and batmanber. I mean, there's a number of things that I've worked with Lisa on. She did Big Hero six, which you brought you on as well. That's right, they're they're they're great. But yeah, there was I mean, especially under the Gary Marsh regime in Disney Channel history, they synergy. We always joke about the Disney synergy, but especially on the Channel was hugely important. So it's like, that's what they want to do, is they want to take you know, a star like a Raven, you know, a perfect example, somebody like Raven who's so multi talented, and it's like, Okay, we want you to star in your own sitcom, and then we want to do an animated series with you, and then we want to do the Cheetah Girls with you. It's like, what can we do to build the brand? And you saw this with Miley Cyrus and you saw this with Christy and I mean it's that's what they're trying to do. Is build the brand as much as then and that's all. That was all Gary Marsh and I think I feel.
Speaker 6: You do the old school Hollywood like club studio system contractor.
Speaker 7: It worked.
Speaker 4: It worked, Yeah, it did, especially with Disney Channel, who who legitimately would say we can't.
Speaker 3: Pay you what other studios would pay you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we don't have the money. And when you know, when Fox or Paramount, well no, but that's the thing is when Fox or paramout says we don't have the money, you go, come on, You're making one hundred million dollar movies. Disney Channel was always kind of its own little entity in the world of Disney.
Speaker 3: So they were making.
Speaker 4: Four hundred thousand dollars movies, a million dollar movies, one point five million dollar movies. Now with Zombies. The last Zombies movie was forty million dollars shut up. So that I mean, they're obviously now in that rarefied air, but before back in the day, when they're like, we don't have the money, they kind of didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Disney had the money, right, Disney Channel.
Speaker 5: Correct, And they are separate companies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, correct, correct, that was it was. It was two very different things, but they were always I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 6: Just take it over that Zombies was forty million million, and.
Speaker 4: The next descendants I'm sure will be even bigger than that because they're pulling in huge numbers and streaming and they're trying to get people to their platform.
Speaker 6: We're also Disney doesn't really existing or Disney Channel proper. I mean you guys can confirm, but I think it's Disney branded partners.
Speaker 3: It is, and like Disney XD is gone.
Speaker 4: Disney yeah, so the technical d com is probably gone, but it's they're now just huge tent pole movies on these the days of Brink and the smaller even Steve at like.
Speaker 6: Even My Date with the President's Daughter.
Speaker 4: No, that was that was wonderful World of Disney. That was ABC. That was a different That's a whole different brand.
Speaker 5: There are so many umbrellas and so many different names.
Speaker 4: Chances are everything is owned by Disney. By the way, Christy, you you have the distinction, which you've talked about, a magical rewind of still having the kiss that does not belong on the Disney Channel in the Even Stevens movie, Oh yeah, she because everybody else lives like Disney Channel kisses. It's like kiss, kiss, Kiss, Christy grabs Josh Keaton and shoves her tongue down this man's and we're like sitting there watching and we're like, oh, that's not a Disney Channel kiss at all. Yeah, it was very good. We still have that.
Speaker 6: We were dated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were together and they forgot.
Speaker 5: That junior on Boy Meets World, mister Wilfred Oh with one love Hewitt exactly. You all have receipts.
Speaker 6: Good God, I'm okay.
Speaker 5: So I noticed on your I m dB, Christie that you played screaming fan in a Backstreet Boys sears commercial. Please tell us everything about this.
Speaker 6: You can google this because I did get tagged and asked about it. By the way, Writer, you're still quiet, are you okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: There's too many of us. If I jump in every time, it's gonna be always described. Yes, yes, yes, this is writer.
Speaker 6: He's a thinker, he's a binger. That was back in New York right before I did the pilot for Even Stevens. I got cast with Jenna Ushkowitz, who's from g.
Speaker 5: Oh we knew Jenna. Yeah, we've done a podswap with Jenna Ushkowitz.
Speaker 6: She was a baby. She's younger than I am and we had done some like Broadway Kid things back in New York, and so we just knew each other and then we ended up all getting cast in this strange I think it was Marshalls Sears and it was their Millennium Tour and uh, Larger than Life is playing like and we're chasing these guys and we were featured extras essentially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had a name screaming fan.
Speaker 6: There screaming, and so we ran after them all day long. We had to run after them and scream and like it really them?
Speaker 4: Was it really the Backtree Boys commercial? Wow?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was really them, you can see very clearly. And then and then I have a picture with them and with Jenna and all the other you have.
Speaker 5: You seen the Millennium Tour show its sphere.
Speaker 6: I saw that it's happening, okay, And I want to say, like, I've definitely chatted with some of the guys over the years and seen them and stuff, and I'm like, if I go, it's gonna it would be amazing.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible show. As somebody who's not I mean, I like them all as people. They're they're great guys. But you know, obviously I'm not the demographic for their music, but man, what a show.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 6: Happy for them, I know for them, it was.
Speaker 3: A really wonderful way to spend a night.
Speaker 4: It really was.
Speaker 5: So since we're on this two thousands millennium tour Backstreet Boys section of the interview, I thought a very dated question I might be able to ask you is did people ever ask you to record their voicemail messages in character?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: I think I had that listed when I first doing comic cons because I heard that Tom Kenny did it. Yeah, and that Gary Mariano, who's another Gary at Disney. He was like our biggest PR guy. He would have people do his voicemails. So he had goofy and he had you know, Jim coming and so yeah, I think I did that for a few but I don't do it anymore. But that would be fun, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: I just did one last weekend n stopping No at a convention. Somebody came up and they said, we record my voice ment no as Kid as Ron. So I'm hey here, Jen's not here right now? Leave message Bill. Yeah, like that kind of thing. It was all really funky.
Speaker 6: So yeah, he said that Kim's voice is just my customer service voice, and I I disagree that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Whereas that's one of the things I really noticed, and we talked about this in the episode when we recapped the Kim Possible episode, is my voice changes so much from the from starting ron Ron season one is essentially just me like, come on, kp you gotta and by the end, I'm all the way up here, and he's so much crazier.
Speaker 3: And it's like not even close to being the same voice. Yeah, So I noticed that watching this episode. I was like, when we'll us the voice, it's way different, it's way higher.
Speaker 1: And this was closer to you, and I was like, but then throughout the episode it got more ron like.
Speaker 3: And by the end it's crazy and so okay.
Speaker 1: I was wondering if that was something that just happened after you finished the show, like just over the years you've gotten more exact.
Speaker 4: I remember sitting and when we talked about this, I remember sitting in a booth with John Demagio.
Speaker 3: It was just the two of us of this one episode.
Speaker 4: It was the start of season whatever three, but it was I should have listened to him because of the episode started and I said, someone like you know what KP. And he's like, that's not the voice.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Johnny was like, that's not it, and I'm like what. He's like, dude, that's not Ron and I'm like it's not and then I couldn't get it back, and so from here on he was just like this. So I going back, I would love to have kept it kind of in the initial register that we saw of this one episode where it was just kind of like my voice right, because he really got I mean, obviously it's a cartoon, but super cartoony towards the end and it's like it's if you watch the second episode and the second to last episode, it's two completely different characters. So I mean the voice this is different.
Speaker 6: Because I went to college and started smoking SIGs and they had a little chat with me and they were looked good, and I was like, yeah, I'm sorry. And then I ended up having actually to be farewell. I had a double nodular surgery before Beauty and the Beast. I found out that I had damaged my vocal cords over the years, and so I think once I fixed that, I probably was back to being old Kim and yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you were, I mean you were in college, so you would come in and when you were on phone patch, you'd be like morning, like, oh, hey.
Speaker 6: I didn't put those pieces together. It had to have been the nodules, It really did, because those things are nasty.
Speaker 4: Because again I smoked for twenty five years by that point, and you could still get up to the top register. But no, you had you had vocal damage. So that's I mean, that's what it was. I mean you could tell the that that rasp does not start within a year of smoking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know that was. I think that who has it filed? Not philled Collins? Uh? Who's that? Rod Stewart nodules And he never let them go because he liked the texture that boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you never you never knew.
Speaker 4: I remember one voiceover actor said to me, his name is Corey Burton, who smoked for like forty years. And I remember saying to him one time, Hey, Corey, and this guy did the voice of everything. I said, Hey, Corey, are you ever going to quit smoking? And he said, no, I figure another five or six years and I can.
Speaker 3: Hit every register that I want.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it's like in his head he was like smoking for a reason. I was like he said.
Speaker 4: At one time, he literally tried to write off his cigarettes as a work expense because he's like, I'm a voiceover actor and I smoke because I want the RASP and I want the lower registers. But and of course the government was like, yeah, that's not going to work. But he tried, because he.
Speaker 3: Write off his cancer treatment. Yeah, right, exactly, yeah, exactly. Don't smoke, kids, don't smoke kids.
Speaker 4: It's very good.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So back to kimpossible. Did I know you obviously did not remember that writer had well you actually thought writer was on many many more episodes.
Speaker 6: Yes, I love he wished that she would have actually taken Brick seriously, because my toxic trait is that I love my husband is like not brick, but he looks like brick.
Speaker 4: It does kind of look like brick, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: And I always had a thing for, like, you know, dumb guys. So my husband, however, is not dumb.
Speaker 4: But didn't he also he also went to Columbia your your husband, didn't he?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, and was a marine not dumb guy.
Speaker 6: But I like that, like, you know, you know whatever, I'm going to go down the rabbit hole. I shouldn't, but but.
Speaker 3: I a little meathead. A little meathead is good? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 6: Like, survive me apocalypse with me? You know, yeah, cut down a tree.
Speaker 4: Survived the apocalypse with me. I love that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I remember because I didn't. I don't even know if I had a picture of Brick.
Speaker 1: I just remember they just cast me, I guess because they knew connection to Will or whatever. And I just remember getting going into the studio in New York and be like, how.
Speaker 3: You know, what do you want? And they were like, uh, I think your voice is pretty close, just a.
Speaker 1: Little kanu, and I just dropped it a little bit and you know, slowed down, and that was Brick, and watching I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, it fits this. This This look very much not me, but it fit it fit the character.
Speaker 6: Can you look at yourself as an animated character? Do you see your voice mostly or do you actually see it blended into your character?
Speaker 4: I see me if I'm doing it right. If the voice is wrong, I don't see me. And that's how I know the voice is wrong. Like, for instance, I never saw me in star Lord on Guardians of the Galaxy because I pitched the register too high, so the voice was too high for the animation that they had. And I never saw me, whereas I always see me and Ron I see me and Terry McGinnis Batman. I see me in almost every other animated character I do. But if it's not right, then I don't see myself.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, I never watch anything I've ever done. This might be the first person ever.
Speaker 4: You never watched Star Versus The Forces of Evil or whatever.
Speaker 3: The other one you know, India wanted to watch one.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was one that I was in, But you know, that's just my voice, just kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mostly just do my voice.
Speaker 1: I don't really do character work, so but brick, Yeah, this was it was weird. I was definitely like, that's not me.
Speaker 3: But I guess cool.
Speaker 5: You were Emmy nominated for Kim Possible Best Best Voice Performance. Do you remember who you lost to? And should we curse them?
Speaker 6: Now? I love you, Danielle. You are keeping up this ship sailing.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 6: We were aware in their life? Yeah, I do, because I showed up and I looked really good. And oh but it's okay because it was Oh my god, why am I forgetting Clifford the Big Red Dog?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: And it was the gentleman who played I'm so sorry, guys, you can kill me for this. Who the fonts?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I take it back. I would never.
Speaker 4: Curse because he's a name. That's usually how it worked with animation, especially back in the day. Yeah, you'd have two amazing anime you know, incredible animation actors and voice actors, and then Nathan Lane and it was like, all right, I'm not well, I'm not going to win, even though he just was Nathan Lane. It's like somebody's but for those of us who have never been nominated, you should just be happy to be nominated.
Speaker 6: I'm so I don't deserve it. Yeah, when it happened, what is this happening? But you know, Shia, I think around the same. I think it was maybe the year after that, actually one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the whole thing.
Speaker 6: With Disney Channel guys, was like they were always competing with Nickelodeon, and so at that point they started realizing their programming was getting like awarded and it became really interesting where then maybe the money started coming for them, because then they were greenlighting more things. And I remember Adam came to see me record a pilot on my way out before Columbia, I got a big pilot with the creators of Friends and Stuff, and that was maybe gonna be my next thing, but it didn't well, and I was Columbia said. Anyway, long story short, Adam Bunnett said, that was my first time ever seeing a sitcom. Now I want to go do a sitcom at Disney and that is why Raven started.
Speaker 3: That's cool, and it's cheaper.
Speaker 6: Like I think it was a million dollars an episode for even Stevens, and I think it's a bit cheaper from what I was told. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, that's why we're amazed that sitcom hasn't come back, because it's cheaper than doing single cameras.
Speaker 3: So I don't why are we not doing four? I'm not going to I'm not going to harp.
Speaker 5: Okay, you guys both just got funko pops. People always dress as the characters for Halloween, including Justin and Hayley Bieber last year. Are you surprised how much Kim Possible is like, even more in the mainstream zeitgeist now than ever before? No, No, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is I'm really here every week, guest here, and I'm here every week.
Speaker 5: You're like, I host this show, right, you're the guest.
Speaker 4: I'm one of the show.
Speaker 3: So I'm here.
Speaker 6: No, I'm not surprised. I think Y two K is still trending. Yeah, and it's wild that it's still trending. But it is a really interesting time for our culture, and I think Kim was a really important part of that culture because I'll be honest, when Kim came out, there wasn't a lot of really great female role models outside of you did right, of course, but like for the for the tweens, right, and so what we did was a service to a whole generation of young girls who could only really look to Paras Sultan. No, no shade on Paras Sultan now. But back then she was in a heart. She had a hard time. It's like you were seeing these like bits of Kate Moss being super skinned and like any kind of women in the public eye were in mostly had. There was a lot of eating disorders, there's a lot of sex tapes, line, I mean, there was a lot of stuff I would as a mom now would really want to protect, you know, my kids from. So when Kim came out, she was a breath of fresh air for parents I'm sure, and also just girls wanting to feel like they could be popular but nice, yeah, you know, not mean, like I don't have to be a socialite, mean person. I don't have to be rich, I don't have to be this. And like even just putting her in Middleton, when you think about it, it's like she's literally the most likable, most relatable, most well intentioned person and she to that end, she really is kind of a Disney princess, like she carries virtues. Yeah, and then she made it apply to a you know, a kid's daily life.
Speaker 4: You know how rare it is, especially nowadays, to have something that you know, you can sit and watch with your kids and not have to worry about anything that's going to pop on the screen. And that's one of the things Disney Channel did better than everybody else was It's just like even nowadays we keep going back to Descendants or Zombies or the Tenth Pole kind of movies that they have, there is still kind of something for everybody. They're bright, they're fun, there's music, you're never maybe there's going to be a chaste kiss or something like that, or a Christy Carlsonmino kiss exactly. But it is. It's one of those things where you don't have to worry about it, and especially in this day and age with streaming where you could just press a button and you could see whatever you want.
Speaker 3: It's it's nice to go back to kind of the.
Speaker 4: Ease of Disney Channel in the early two thousands and Boy Meets World and stuff like that the night and so that's why so many people are that's why the Backstreet Boys are selling out night after night after night at spheres. People want to go back to that time. It just seemed safer. Probably it wasn't technically, but it just seemed like a safer, happier time. So yeah, I think that's one of the reasons. And sitting there with you at conventions and seeing a five year old girl run up to you dressed like Kim Possible, I mean, fully decked out, going like this is the best. And it's the mom or even the grandmother we're finding in in places now. We're doing that with Boyman's World too, Like my grandma loved you. It's like, oh, great, thank you, you just it's it's truly amazing that it's still there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Funkos are really cool. The Funkos took a really long time to come out. I mean, it's interesting how Kim has kind of stood the test of time in the hearts of the fans and a generation of like globally too, because she was ever there was. We were just the English speaking ones, right, like, there's kim Is everywhere across the world. There's a brick, there's a Saudi Arabian brick flag, like he's somewhere out there.
Speaker 4: Well, don't you remember what we did? It's still one of the coolest things ever did. We hosted a show at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Yeah, which is, you know, one of the one of the greatest theaters in the world, literally, and the entire show was Kim Possible themed. So it's we wes had what ten thousand was full, ten thousand screaming kids, whatever, and it's all dark and.
Speaker 3: Here do do do do?
Speaker 4: And the lights pop on and ten or fifteen Kim Possibles come down from the ceiling. Oh my god, and then it's all these know, all the local Disney UK people were hosting with us, and it was it was the whole thing was Kim Possible based, and so you're literally were standing on the stage, the Beatles were on and Adele's selling out.
Speaker 3: I mean it is literally the greatest water. That was why the show was on the air.
Speaker 4: No, this was slightly after I think wasn't when would go there, like two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, when was that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, probably it was before. It was before Bell and it was definitely after you can see it. That's why I'm hiding my memoir right now, and I've been going on wire and it's just to remember things.
Speaker 4: Ye oh yeah, yeah, it is so yeah, but I mean it was it was everywhere. You mean, you're really really cool because it's you know, it's kind of timeless. And that's the thing that's so interesting about animation, unlike Boy Meets World, where you know, when you go see Boy Mets World in Germany, it's our faces, but there might be a German actor's voice coming out, whereas you go see Kim Possible in Germany, we got nothing to do with it. It's it's Kim and Ron and then a German actor. So to go to the kind of the English speaking countries where Kim was big, we saw how big a god. It was really really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I know all of us and our listeners will want to know how you are doing for those who don't know, and I'm it's shocking to say it out loud. You were accidentally shot in the eye during a clay pigeon shooting accident. How are you doing now.
Speaker 6: I'm laughing, Okay, I'm alive. And if you see, you can't even see it. If I pull my skin a little bit, you can see some of the little bit of scar tissue. I actually got shot. I got bird shot scattered, which is still technically being shot. Right, So people like she didn't get shot with a bullet, I'm like, you got shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're qualifying it.
Speaker 4: You got shot in the face with a shotgun blast, Like she didn't get shot.
Speaker 6: Two hundred feet away. Yeah. So, and this is why I really just took a term of spirituality. Not like I'm a Bible thump or anything, but it's like I just had to recognize that I received a miracle, you know. And like the reason I say it's a miracle is because where the thing entered my eye actually entered a fat pocket. And then that was miracle number one, right, And then the miracle number two is that it landed behind the eyeball one millimeter, which is a tiny pencils hit from anything critical that would have blinded this eye. So when I went to the trauma surgeons, they were like, there's multiple miracles at play here, but we don't we don't, we can't say their miracles. And I really had to sit with that and just be like, well, you know, I'm never going shooting again and trying to be cool and trial life. But to be fair, Special Forces had just come out, and I guess I was on a high with it's a crazy show. Don't ever do it, guys, don't don't y'all Danielle here on Dancing with the Stars right now.
Speaker 5: That's much more of my wheelhouse, much more of my wheelhouse been shot.
Speaker 4: Even though I've never.
Speaker 5: Had any dance experience, there is for sure chance I will not get shot in the eye.
Speaker 3: So I knocking wood knockingwood is because.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, okay, I'll pray for you, and also Team Danielle once again, thank.
Speaker 5: You so much.
Speaker 4: No. I just remember seeing the It was it was like something came out and it was just hey, pray pray for us or something like that, and I instantly called Brendan. I'm like, dude, what happened? And I'll just never forget. He's like, oh, yeah, Christy got shot in the face. I was like, wait what because he's like, yeah, it was and he explained the whole story, but it was just like she got wait what and then you like hopped on the phone like hey, yeah, her face. They were face timing because you're like, yeah, look at all and I'm just like and you're all just all sorts of up and you're like, yeah, I got a shotgun blast of the face. And I was just like, wait, wait what because you don't you can't comprehend what you just said that you.
Speaker 6: Just it was on ABC Nightly News, Like I was like, how are you not gonna It had the word Disney and it had shot and a face element. So I was like, well, clearly, And here's the reason I even shared it. Okay, guys, I shared it because I had a clarance ad that was coming up and I didn't and I was like, well, skincare. I love skincare. But I was like, shoot, like I'm not just gonna put I can't hide from this reality, Like I can't pretend this didn't happen, and I was really forced to look inside and be like, all right, this like ad like, if they drop it because it's on deadline, screw them, right, But they didn't. They're lovely. And then I just went ahead and shot something and was like, this is what happened. And I was trying to be as authentic and honest as I could be in that moment. It was scary moment and it wasn't like I was doing that for views at all. I was just trying to Yeah, I was just trying to share something, and strangely, a lot of people who have had eye damage like came out. It's like a niche group of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always a group, the Sisterhood of Eyes Lost.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They're like, we're a group of people. We're here for you. It's like, it's great, somebody, right.
Speaker 3: Did you do your skincare ad like? And that's when I, oh, oh, oh no, I didn't do that.
Speaker 6: That's good, horrible, Like, listen, we need to keep we need to keep feeding these babies. I got two of them.
Speaker 5: It really it really was the most kim possible accident you could have possibly had. You're basically now a superhero, so what would Ron have said to make her feel better?
Speaker 6: Will?
Speaker 4: Probably, Hey, at least it didn't hit your eye.
Speaker 6: Ron, It totally did.
Speaker 4: It went behind it and went into a fat pocket. You explained the whole thing. You're fine, come on, let's go. You really shot, yea, let's go get a nacho. You weren't really shot. It was just bird shot. It was two hundred yards away.
Speaker 5: Talking out like a man exactly.
Speaker 4: Let me explain to you why that's wrong, christ.
Speaker 5: Christy. I want everyone to know what you are up to now. You mentioned that you're writing a memoir. What do you want people to know about your life and your career right now?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Gosh, I'm doing good and I'm pretty happy and healthy. I live in Austin, you know, Ron. Oh my god? Sorry, Will, and I will.
Speaker 3: Do something that was a lot.
Speaker 4: Actually, what's the other thing you call me all the time?
Speaker 6: Oh, we don't say that, right.
Speaker 4: Another thing you call me all the time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you call me Brendan all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We'll be places and she's like, and that's when Brendan, I'm like, no, that's your husband, A right, Sorry, And I think.
Speaker 6: We'll be doing more com cons together. I've been out of it for a while, but since the Phocos came out, I think it's a lot of fun to be going back into that world and yeah, meeting people, so please come and see us together. Yeah, my deadline is coming up on that book, so you out next year, next fall.
Speaker 4: A.
Speaker 6: Really, you know, it's a big publisher, and clearly we've had a lot of people who grow up in Hollywood have really great memoirs, like Alison Stoner just had what come out. Their book is amazing, Jeneva Curti's book just came out on different and you know, different perspective in general, everyone's got their own story. So really proud of it already, but give me some time. It's it's you know, the marketing will come out at some point. Also, am I doing gosh, I don't know. It's a hard question. I'm not podcasting right now.
Speaker 3: I can okay on that.
Speaker 5: So taking a podcasting break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you podcasting break well.
Speaker 5: Christy. Thank you so much for being here with us, Thank you for joining us and sharing this kimpossible reunion.
Speaker 6: With all of us.
Speaker 5: It's always so good to see you. And yes, thank you for finally joining us.
Speaker 6: Anytime if you need me, back. I'm I'm here.
Speaker 4: Well you got to come back on Magical rewind because we got I think we're going to do Cadet Kelly's coming. Yes, we got to rip into that. Do you make out with any Well? I don't don't want to know yet, we'll see I don't you don't, Okay.
Speaker 5: Good, all right, Okay, thank you Christy. Great to see you by bye. Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 4: Bill yat Never Be Normal and by.
Speaker 5: Some merch Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show, or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.