Speaker 1: Is this seat taking Conrad? I choose you? That was the moment that fans have been waiting for for three full seasons from the summer I turned pretty and TJ and I watched the finale finally a couple days after it aired, and you know what, it doesn't get more rom COMI than that.
Speaker 2: We were screaming at the television.
Speaker 1: We were screaming.
Speaker 3: It lost me. I was so upset.
Speaker 1: They gave the people what they want, TJ.
Speaker 3: That's not what I wanted.
Speaker 1: What did you want to happen?
Speaker 2: You know what? It completely went into your rom calm, predictable format. You give me these lines.
Speaker 3: It was always you home is wherever you are?
Speaker 2: This thing and it completely cheezed up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say this to you often when I come up to the table, When is this seat taken? I choose you to She ran to the train state. Oh the running scene, yes, Oh, it was running through the streets of Paris. It couldn't get more romantic. And usually in these rom comps you see the man running to the woman who's left. But it was a little switcheroo. She was running and she chose him, So that was a little twist. Female empowerment. Yes, they had all the nods to all the young women and older women. In fact, we had our friend she she I don't want to give away her age, but she was in The Golden Bachelor and she was texting us yesterday talking about the passion, the sexual tension, how much she loved the finale. So this is something that has resonated with people and women specifically of all ages, and it's been fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is obviously never something I would be into, but I've got girls around me all the time. Not you saying this, but are you talking about this show. We started watching it kind of as a joke. We kind of got into it, then we started enjoying it. Then we started rooting for one guy over the other. Conrad has been my guy. But in the finale it wasn't filming.
Speaker 1: He got a little weepy, a little sentimental.
Speaker 2: Just one of them stand up straight, just come on, do something.
Speaker 1: He was like a lost puppy dog. Love me, love me. But I mean even the title of the finale was so ram commy. At last one of my favorite songs. But you know, they always have to have one of the very well, they had a lot of French songs, a lot of Parisian songs. That was a little too much for me. I was like, oget it, you're in Paris, it's romantic. But yeah, that last finale clocked in at an hour and twenty minutes, and Prime Video has said that season three broke all records, drawing twenty five million viewers, topping the charts globally. It hit number one on the platform at Prime Video in one hundred and twenty countries and is the most watched season among women ages eighteen to thirty four. So, yes, in the end, they gave the viewers what they wanted. And this also was a trilogy, a book that's how it all began, and Team Conrad won.
Speaker 2: Do you know I did the books in this way because I know the writers they did.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll get into that a little bit later, because there were a couple changes, but for the most part, yes, and I just it isn't over. And that's the other exciting news with the season finale came the news that it's not over. There's a movie coming, and so of course it will be and so Bonrad bon Rad lives on, and we're gonna get more of bon Rad so we actually got some fun color from the fans who were lucky enough to be in the theater in Paris on Wednesday evening when they aired the finale, and this is how they described it. The fans were screaming and losing their minds as the sex scene and the love scenes played out on the big screen because this was steamy. This was not in the books. They actually did not have Belly have premarital sex in the books, so they made the decision in the series because she had sex with both brothers in the series now and we finally saw her and Conrad seal the deal in the finale, but she decided. Hans said that the writer, Jenny Hans, said that she wanted to make it more current and basically give again a little female empowerment that women can choose who to have sex with. It's not about being you know, chased or a virgin before you get married. So she adapted that.
Speaker 3: I don't know how old is the story like the books.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how old they were, but they did make the decision and she was comfortable with it having the lead character Belly explore her sexuality. She's twenty two in the finale.
Speaker 3: So that was birthday.
Speaker 1: It was her right. It was so rom comy. He surprises her in Paris. We think she has a boyfriend. They make us think she did. Then we realize they broke up weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Because they rolled up on a schooner together on a little best.
Speaker 1: Thigh they embraced goodbye. Yes, so you know what it does? You know, Yes, it has all the hallmarks of a rom common. Yes, our daughters were all into it. But why did this series in particular resonate so much? And it's interesting this series started during the pandemic, and so a lot of viewers say this was their comfort food. They wanted something that was nostalgic and joyful, and so that does make people changed what they wanted, what they needed when they realized we were in a world of crises and that in terms of the news today, one of the fans I thought this was really interesting, saying it was then in the pandemic and is now a source of comfort, especially with what's been going on in the world and now watching this you don't get shamed for it. They're like, normally, if you admitted you watch this series, you might get shamed for Like you watched the summer. I turned pretty Now it's like, what, you're not in the know, you're not watching it, you don't know what it is. But that really makes sense that it struck a chord the way it did with audiences, and then they got sucked into the story. And even though maybe the acting when the writing isn't exactly what we're used to when we see some of these White Lotus right, these streaming services that are clever and funny, this was just old school, kind of a Lifetime movie esque and feeling of nostalgia.
Speaker 2: And that's not a criticism and it should not be compared to a White Lotus. I I would argue Robes, you have seen me get more worked up and emotional over what's going on between Conrad and Jeremiah than I ever did about anybody on White Lotus.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 2: I watch, I respect it and love, but I wasn't clamoring to go watch the next episode of White Lotus, and everyone I watched I loved and found phenomenal. You get me in front of an episode off somewhere, I turned britty, I'm throwing shit at the TV. I'm all worked up and said, what the hell? Why is he wearing that shirt? What's wrong with his hair? What was belly thinking it? Because the writing does, it hits something in all of us. It hits something about relationships and the complexities and family and friendships and all these things. The bottom line, no matter what you think about the writing or the performances or how any of it, here's the bottom line. A love triangle involving a young girl and two of her best friends who happened to be brothers. That is drama, and somebody will watch it's that, ye, point blank.
Speaker 1: And it's about summers and nostalgia and going back and falling in love for the first time and having that summer place. I mean, I didn't grow up like that, didn't have a didn't have a summer place, but we did.
Speaker 3: We would go to our place on the Mississippi River.
Speaker 1: We go to the yes, the cape every summer. No. But actually, in that sense too, you're its voyeurism. You're watching people who do have that sort of means and are able to have that beautiful home and on the beach where young kids can get together. Most of us didn't have that, so we can enjoy watching other people do it because it seems like that would have been amazing life.
Speaker 3: Being a sixteen year old with a range Rover, it would have been awesome.
Speaker 1: What's that like?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So it's also this was part of that where you were just watching the halves. Even when you're a have not, it's still fun to watch that play out.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I was so thrown You know what when it turned to rom Com. You know, I am as anti romcom as they get. I respect them, but you have to drag me kicking and screaming. We've been in movies before, and I leaned over to you.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I leaned over.
Speaker 1: You got really choked up. I know it was emotional for you to watch the finale.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about it in my mind again, and I got worked out. But I've leaned over to you in movies before and said to you, is this a rom Com?
Speaker 1: Did you trick me?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I am so anti Romcom for whatever reason. Just they're not my lane.
Speaker 1: They're formulating fine.
Speaker 2: When I saw the formula started playing out yesterday, I got I gotta know it. I gotta know it because I was upset that I've been tricked. I was upset that I've been bamboozled in some way to watching a rom com.
Speaker 1: But that's why it's comfort food, because you know what you're getting, and then you get, yes, the ending in a bright, shiny package with a bow on top, but.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know what you're getting.
Speaker 2: What do you always say about expectations, right?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: I was disappointed because my expectations were not that it was going to go with that direction.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Then you don't really know rom coms because they don't deviate, they stay in their lane. They know what they are.
Speaker 2: You didn't tell me this was a rom com.
Speaker 1: This entire sh rom drum kind of it wasn't really funny. It was a m dress. I think that's a better way to maybe put it. But honestly, speaking to that passion. The one thing that actually had I think it definitely through producers this season because things got nasty, the whole Team Conrad team Jeremiah thing. Remember we actually did a whole episode on it. They had to put out a warning ask people to be kind, that, you know, let's be nice this summer. A fictional character, correct, and they actually pointed that out. You know, the actors are real, their characters are not so please make the distinction between the two, because it did get pretty heat, but that was the level of passion. But you know what, we can all be excited now collectively because it's not over for Belly and Conrad. We get to see more, perhaps the next chapter, and when we come back, we're going to talk everything we know about the upcoming movie. And welcome back to this edition of Amy and TJ, where we are talking about this season finale of the Summer I Turn Pretty. And we say finale, but it wasn't really a finale. It was just stay tuned for the next movie now of the Summer I Turn Pretty. And here's what we do know. We know that the actors who played Belly and Conrad have already signed up, and we don't have confirmation that the actor who plays Jeremiah is in, but fans have noted that he posed for pictures with the other two in front of the movie signage that they had on the red carpet for the premiere, so it seems as though he will likely. I can't imagine they couldn't get a new Conrad, I'm sorry, a new Jeremiah.
Speaker 2: Bizarre because the story is just going to be about Belly and Conrad now because they're going off into the sunset.
Speaker 3: Apparently from what I.
Speaker 1: Saw, that's true. That is true. So here's the deal. Most people are hoping that the movie, of course, will have the Belly and Conrad wedding. The author Jenny would not Jenny Han has not admitted that that's the case. Here's all she said. And I think this is pretty obvious. There is another big milestone left in Belly's journey, and I thought only a movie could give it its proper due. So yes, And here's another hint. So you asked me how the series differed from the book. At least in the finale, Belly goes to Spain, not France, so there is a little difference there. But the show leaves out a major part of the final book, Book three. There was an epilogue in book three, and in that epilogue, Bellie reads the letter that Conrad and Jeremiah's mother, Susannah, left for her on the day of her wedding to Conrad. So in the epilogue there is a wedding to Conrad and the letter she received from their mother before she died that we saw on the show when she was about to marry Jeremiah that she never opened in the book. She opens it when she weds Conrad. So there is an epilogue that they did not actually acknowledge.
Speaker 3: Who read the books?
Speaker 2: You're not putting anything out there, people's it's out there. I would have never known this because I never would have read the book, certainly not the epilogue the book.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I just feel like that clearly points to at least a wedding. I was actually hoping, maybe they'll show, don't say it a baby. Okay, First comes love, then comes marriage. Oh you thought maybe Jeremiah was going to roup the wedding.
Speaker 2: First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Jeremiah.
Speaker 1: Here, does anyone here have any reason to the back and forth?
Speaker 2: When she had that moment, I choose you. I think I might have screamed, I said, is this really about to happen? And everything?
Speaker 3: I was so upset.
Speaker 1: We screamed. I mean, we're not kidding me. We actually were screaming at the.
Speaker 2: TV the whole time. And she look runs to the window Conrad and then she runs out the door. I'm like, how she paying for a cab? She shouldn't have a phone. She shouldn't have an id.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot a lot of people have asked that question, and they said, what happened when she got to Brussels because she was on the train. And by the way, they actually shot that on a moving train, and they did shoot it in France, so that was actually you were asking about that.
Speaker 2: So the run, the whole run to the everything is a run.
Speaker 1: At the end, she said it was hilly, that she hadn't been working out, and she was actually out of breath because they really were running through the streets and then getting to this train. And then a lot of folks said, did she stay in Brussels? How did she get back? She had no money, she had no idea, she had no luggage, she didn't have a purse, she had I don't even think she had keys on because.
Speaker 3: She had nothing.
Speaker 2: It might have been nice to grab the phone because you wouldn't have had to make the run. So you had to do is call Conrad and say come.
Speaker 1: Back, or you could just say I'm coming, what train car are you in? Like you know, there were a lot of practical things that could have happened.
Speaker 2: But practical doesn't go with rom com No, for.
Speaker 1: You need the dramatic. Was there ever a moment where you thought maybe she wouldn't find him last year?
Speaker 2: Kidding on my god, there was not a moment that I didn't think they were going to end up together. And then she starts treating them bad after they have sex. She starts just dogging the guy, and I was like, oh my god, Belly, that was kind of rude. It was nasty, And again it was a part of the emotional journey they're taking us on. I was so done with Belly at that moment, And now you want me and Conrad to open our arms and embrace her on the train.
Speaker 1: She was scared. He scared her When he said forever, it scared her, and then she realized she does want forever with him. All right. So, for those of you who want to know when this movie is coming out, it's not if it's when, So it's too soon for them. They said to give a release date, but they did say, hey, guys, we haven't even shot it yet, so it's definitely not coming next year. So a lot of people are looking to twenty twenty seven. So we have about a year and a half two years to wait for this movie. And you know that we are going to go to the movie theater and we are going to see it.
Speaker 3: It'll release on Amazon.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine, and I hope everybody no this is there is no criticism we have with the show. We respect it's phenomenal. We're having fun here talking about any criticism of Ron Common and all that stuff. But it's just it's fun and it was a formula and look, I've had a good time. And you know, it's a weird way to find something that you normally don't have somebody in common with, something to talk about. We don't talk to kids about the kids about TikTok videos and all this stuff. But we all get together and we have fun talking about this.
Speaker 3: This has been a great, great exercise.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I appreciate Summer I Turn Pretty and Team Conray Go.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you were willing to watch with me and watch with us. It has been fun, it really and like there isn't a lot of even though it was a little cheesy and predictable, there isn't a lot out there where we can all watch together and have fun and feel good about it. So this was this was fun. I think that's the best way to describe it.
Speaker 3: One another thing annoyed me. You were his surprise on the train.
Speaker 2: Oh right, she's making a total commotion coming through the train. He didn't notice all the commotion and he's surprised.
Speaker 1: Maybe he had his air pods in he didn't.
Speaker 3: I looked.
Speaker 1: All right. And on that final note, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. Thank you so much for listening to us. Everyone, we'll talk to you real soon.