Speaker 1: This is live covera shop, the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp, or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by pod Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and prought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new power move Independence health System expert Care here, Remax Select Realty visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Coniente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Our number two with the drive here is we head down the home stretch of training Camp twenty twenty six, of course, on the campus of Saint Vincent College West Shueler Matt Williamson with you here for another two hours and Matt A fun idea was slid across our desk this morning by our buddies in the video department, Nate and TV. Of course, they also all updated their resumes to add tarp extraordinaries at a couple of last night and after yes events. Yeah, they tell you what they were a little they were a little worn out after all that hard work they had to do out there. They came into Sharkis and were like, hey, let me see your hands. Oh wow, your hands still feels so soft. Look at ours. Ours are callous, rugged, and grizzled like a video guy. Like a video guy. So, so you know our buddies Nate and TV in the video department, they did this with make with Mike Persuda and Max Starks. It's about a dozen different campies. Okay, so just training camp awards, training camp bests of and things like that, And so Matt I thought it'd be fun for us to run through some of these and give our.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, tell them all the things they screwed up exactly right. Okay, so how do you know the categy?
Speaker 2: That's I'm gonna give you the category do you want to give answers?
Speaker 3: Criticize theirs? And I actually really like that.
Speaker 2: I really like that. It's much easier to critique than it is to create. And Matt and I are gonna sit here with our little red pen and point out everything that they did wrong. Number one to lead us off. I think this is probably this is the most typical type of thing that you get in these type of trading camp exercises. Best Rookie Max Starks went with Jeremy Bernard. Mike Persuda went with Max Ianachre.
Speaker 3: I don't think you put on I was going to say, is my pick. He's the most valuable. I'm so happy about the first round pick, but he hasn't been out here in too long. Yeah, you gotta show me. Doesn't mean he's the not the best rookie. It's just he hasn't done enough.
Speaker 2: I think he's almost an incomplete right in terms of what we see count if you kind of if you kind of just grade off of, you know, Perk happened to it would be Max. Sure, but I think it becomes a conversation of Jeremy or of Dylan Dalen Everett, and I might lean towards Dalan Everett. I thought he was very impressive throughout training camp.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Rubyo should be mentioned and if you would do if you would weigh it like a seventh round pick, Robert Spears Jennings, Yeah, yeah, yeah, like if it's worth more for a lesser pick. It's not dunker Aler's been I mean, the game is ignored. I think I'll go with Bernard. But ever it's a good one too.
Speaker 2: I think I'll go with Everett. Yeah, but I there's I'm just glad that we have some real candidates for that A lot a lot. It's not it's not just all it's clearly this guy or all of them have kind of stunk. There's there's meat on that bone, which we like. So that's the first one, best rookie, second one.
Speaker 3: Then of course, think that last year Harmon was hurt a lot, Caleb wasn't real impressive or wasn't a second round pick. You know, like this is a good group to pick from.
Speaker 2: And then of course after best rookie up next you have best veteran. They both picked the same guy, Zach Fraser.
Speaker 3: Hard argument, hard to argue, hm. I mean, I mean Aaron Rodgers looks good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wonder if you would consider a Sante Samuel Jr.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to pick like low hanging, and.
Speaker 2: He is a veteran. He's been here also for half a season. But I I think Zach's a good answer.
Speaker 3: I mean, ask for what they've been asked to do. Rogers has been pretty flawless. Now this is easy for him. He's throwing on air. I mean he's not avoiding you know, Miles Garrett and Micah Parsons out there.
Speaker 2: It's Steph Curry in an open gym.
Speaker 3: Right right, So this is you know, second nature. But in terms of what they've done at camp, Fraser's a good choice.
Speaker 2: Fraser is a good choice.
Speaker 3: I don't think you picked cam or Watt. Yeah, they haven't been asked to do much, or the top receivers.
Speaker 2: That's that's some of the positions almost just by the nature of the thing, are almost ruled out.
Speaker 3: Like a running back. Yes, that's an important part of the position.
Speaker 2: Number three most impactful newcomer, Max Stark, said Robert Tanyan. Mike Pursuda said, Michael Pittman Junior.
Speaker 3: I know this doesn't count, but how about a land of Roberts coming and start fights and you know, changing the whole tone of camp.
Speaker 2: And one day well said, well said, you know what, that's that's funny. That's a good one. Yeah, that's a good one. I like Robert Tanyan, I don't know. Pittman Junior I think so, but I also think we just have it.
Speaker 3: It's been so always an impactful camp.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, who most impactful newcomer? And I guess that technically means not rookie, right, because I think we could mention.
Speaker 3: I was going to say that the rookies count, or I assume I mean, Dean looks good.
Speaker 2: That's a good that's a good one. Actually, that's a really.
Speaker 3: Good brisker looks good.
Speaker 2: Dean looked those first few days of acclamation pair. I think Dean's a I think Dean's a good call because you can't like, you can't go with you can't go with Precodoubtle or anybody like that. At this point, Uh, I like Robert Tanyan. But the answer might be.
Speaker 3: Game I have might go Dean.
Speaker 2: And then the fourth category was biggest disappointment with the caveat of this is something that happened as opposed to a player not measuring up. That would be my answer would be the injury.
Speaker 3: Salivating for him to get back on the field, and every day it's gonna happen, and I get disappointed.
Speaker 2: Max said the biggest disappointment was the weather PURSUITA said, the biggest disappointment was the lack of tackling. I do like that from pursuit.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're taking those from from.
Speaker 2: Our standpoint, I get that. I get that certainly. I think it's definitely barely getting to see any of Max that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would, I'm not going Max a hard time. It starts not. The weather was good, yeah, these last time, but I mean compared to every other you get to get a rain er two. I don't think we're gonna go down as this was the worst weather one in training camp history or anything. I think there's more on the positive side weather wise than negative.
Speaker 2: It's good they had those morning practices this year.
Speaker 3: True, they've danced around the range a little bit.
Speaker 2: Biggest concern is up next, and Max said it was linebacker before the Land and Roberts signing. Pursuda said this defense and stopping the stopping the run for the defense.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say the run game, I.
Speaker 2: Might go offensive line, and just because of that.
Speaker 3: Was where I leaned originally, and then I wanted to get more specific.
Speaker 2: I know, I think you and I and I shared this with you before training camp on one of our last couple of shows before we came out here before we had a little bit of a break and then came out here. I say biggest concern offensive line, because I want them to be elite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and my hopes are really hot.
Speaker 2: And all the all the high hopes for this team, and they won the division last year. The rosters a little bit better this year. Could they take a step forward? Could they you know, end up winning a playoff game or two? To me, that all starts. The offensive line has to be elite if you want this season to be better than last year, better than ten wins in a first round playoff loss. I think that offensive line has to be elite. And it was only one.
Speaker 3: Preseason absolutely, and I think it will be, but it's not now and.
Speaker 2: It was only one preseason game. But they struggled, and I think to be that elite offensive line, Maxi Honichure has to be part of the equation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And it's understandable though, because the right side line moved left side. I mean, Fraser is the only constant, Yes, yes, to think that it's going to.
Speaker 2: I'm not mashing the panic button yet or anything, right, And that's not a concern in the sense of like, oh my gosh, I think these guys are going to be a disaster. It's a concern of I need that to be a strength for this team and we just haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 3: So last night there were a bunch of media folks Sharky's of.
Speaker 2: Course, we had a good old time last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I chatted with a lot of dudes, and it shocked me. And I'm not giving any of them a hard time. They're all actually very good their job, and I consider them all friends. That not everyone in that whole building knew how bad the Steelers fourth quarter defense is so and out of my way this morning, after practice was canceled to do another DK podcast I do every day to let the world know that this was as bad as any fourth quarter defense since the year two thousand and with the light of camp is over, do we feel better about the fourth quarter defense getting better? And I've prefaced it by saying, this is truly a nowhere to go but up situations. I don't think they're gonna be six hundred thought of six hundredth or whatever in the two thousands. They will get better, but it will it get better enough, And to me, in order to do so, you need help from the offense, running the football and eating and that was the portion. There was like three things. I thought that in order to get the fourth quarter defense better, these things have to happen in one of them's time of possession, and that's helped from the offense. I felt better about all the defensive things come into place than saying this is going to be a successful running game. This is gonna be a twelfth best running game in the league because when they have them battle with the defense, the defense is won. They didn't run the ball well in that game, and the on line concerns there's still a work in progress. Can this be a good run game? I don't know. Part of it's the nature of the part of the nature. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean if Warren were shrugging people off and taking it to the house, I feel better about it. But that's not something they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: We'll have to wait and see, wait and see approach with that, Matt. As we continue to wait and see this Saint Vincent practice that's unfold in front of us as well, to get out of starting to get moving up next, Matt camp sleeper and both Pursuda and Starks picked Gabe.
Speaker 3: Rubio that's tough to argue. And again when you.
Speaker 2: Go, when you go in the true sense of sleeper, it can't you know, it can't be.
Speaker 3: Jeremy but hard right jaml b or even doubt, like yeah, right, what sleepers are a weird word?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 3: They are they sleep When sleepers were a kid, when before the internet nobody knew about them?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Or like a U d F A like Jalen Warren who by the by the second week, everyone's like, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: How about Slaughter? Could we need to consider him for the corners? But I want him on the practice Jamie Davis. Yeah, it's kind of a good one too.
Speaker 2: I think Rubio is a real good one. Then Ruby as a draft pick, he's a rookie and no one really to know about him. Could you throw a Sante Samuel Junior in the camp sleeper category two?
Speaker 3: Certainly if there's like an out kicking his coverage situation or you know, pleasant surprise I think you mentioned, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean he's got more pedigree than all those dudes we brought up.
Speaker 2: But you know, sure, sure, uh number seven here on campies is a player under the radar, Max said Lou Nichols pursuita said Riley Noahkowski.
Speaker 3: I'm a Nichols fan. He may only be under the radar for the preseason, though.
Speaker 2: This is another one.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: It's tough because, yeah, these are these type of you know, uh, superlatives or whatever you want to call it, are easier to give out when there's live football happening in front.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, what about sure the radar.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: There's a perfect reason why he's under the radar. I can't remember the damn safety's name again that we couldn't Jenkins Jenkins. I think he's I always want to call him Hawkins for some reason. That's why I always had to take I don't know why. I think he could be a real contributor on this team and he didn't. I mean, he's new to camp. I think that that could be one. I kind of want to go with a depth defensive line. Now. I know Benton just got eighteen million a year, but I mean he is Could we be sleeping on him as true impact on the season if he's not even quote a starter?
Speaker 2: Maybe d Day as well.
Speaker 3: I was thinking him too, Yeah, Sebastian Joseph Day, one of those fourth fifth Linemen, and I'm not even sure it's fair to Bent to call him the fourth I mean, he's more valuable than why Black, but he's not a nose. Could be real impactful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, player poised for a breakout is up next. Starks goes with a Sante Samuel. Persuda goes with Pat Fryarmuth. I think those are both a very good answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, friar Moth to met.
Speaker 2: Samuel would probably be mine, but I think those are both really good answers.
Speaker 3: I really think his usage targets production will go up. Friar Mouth out of the slot in particular.
Speaker 2: Both both both good answers there. Yeah, hardest worker at camp Max goes Robert Spears Jennings. Persuda goes Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I'm going ed Troop.
Speaker 2: I'm going ed True. That's a great answer, that's an outstanding answer. I'm going I'm going Ed Troop and the grounds crew people who are.
Speaker 3: Out there with the tarp yesterday.
Speaker 2: That's that's great answer. Ed Troop gets our hardest worker award here all the camp. He's our guy hosting, producing, engineering.
Speaker 3: Doing it all. Get taking walks. I mean he's all over the.
Speaker 2: Place, transport and equipment around. Yep, he's uh. He has certainly been our MVP.
Speaker 3: I dare anyone to beat that answer.
Speaker 2: That's a great one. A few more of these left best position battle at camp. Max says right tackle, PURSUITA says backup quarterback. I think those are both outstanding answers.
Speaker 3: All great answers. I'm gonna go a third receiver though.
Speaker 2: Third receiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like Roman was in the league until the game.
Speaker 2: You can't say third running back because not just the nature of the beast.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't even say like starting running back because I'm not sure that's a battle. I think they're just gonna both.
Speaker 2: Also, I think the right tackle one. That's a good answer for Max, and you expect that from an offensive lineman too, But that would, I think be more interesting if we would have seen Iancher throughout this he.
Speaker 3: Didn't miss any time, it might not even still be a battle. But right now it's just on pause.
Speaker 2: Good good call. I think it has to be wide receiver three Jermy and and Roman, but backup quarterbacks are really good one too, and how that whole pecking order plays out. Let's see two more left here. Best training camp bounce back, Max said yet to be seen and pursued a set of Sante Samuel Jr.
Speaker 3: Samuel wasn't here last camp, though he wasn't that's true. I guess I don't quite understand the parameters of the category. I'm thinking bounce back from last camp to.
Speaker 2: Here, last camp to hear, or maybe maybe that didn't have the best end of the season, something like that.
Speaker 3: He'd be the one you wanted it to be Calber Roman, and I think it's Roman, Yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: And then finally the last one, best training camp personality, Max Starks.
Speaker 3: You're looking at him, this handsome pair in the booth right now, the drive.
Speaker 2: I don't know how handsome we are with yeah, soaking well.
Speaker 3: We got TV's video and I the best and.
Speaker 2: Best camp personality, Max, once again, loyal to his cause. Goes Jennings Dunker Persuda goes a Landon Roberts.
Speaker 3: Roberts is hard, dark, Roberts is very hard for you have to pick a player, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eldon Roberts after what he did yesterday. I tell you what though, Mason McCormick's always another one man.
Speaker 3: He I know you and I are, Oh yeah, you want him on your side.
Speaker 2: You and I are mostly up in the press box during practices. You get a better view. You're insulated from the elements. There's not a million people that you're trying to walk around and look around and all those things. But I do every training camp still, I like to go down there two or three times because you just get a different perspective. You can hear more from the coaches, you can hear more from the players. Mason McCormick's another one of those guys. Man, he's like, oh yeah, he's all he's always yapping at somebody.
Speaker 3: He's got someone to back all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, he's It's exactly it.
Speaker 3: I think I called him Jay Coffield last night, you know, like he's the first one in the power to protect the stars. I mean, you need those dudes.
Speaker 2: Yes you do. So he would be he'd be on the list there for the camp personality. But it's hard to argue with Landon Roberts after what he did upon arrival.
Speaker 3: And yeah, he made an impact.
Speaker 2: Quickly making his presence known. Hey guys, I'm sorry. Nobody told me that this was a different training camp rule all right, you know, And it's funny enough it was him and Mason McCormick, who were kind of at the at the center of all that. So, Matt, that is the that's the campies PURSUITA and Max their lists of twelve different training camp awards.
Speaker 3: Who are missing folk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know if any of those if we had a glaring omission, and we will be happy to uh to bring that into the conversation. West Juler, Matt Williamson. Just about halfway home here on our final day of training camp coverage. We're at Saint Vincent College. That's Vincent with a T, not ans, Yes, And this is the drive all part of our ongoing coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of DOT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Back of the booth here as we roll along another beautiful day Saint Vincent College, unfortunately for us and for everyone who was planning to attend, Steelers calling it today due to weather and giving the guys a little bit of an early release, Matt, that was always the best feeling. And when you were growing up if you got to leave school early, yeah, if you were, you know, you're working at your job and you're scheduled from three until ten o'clock and at eight thirty, why don't you take off? You know, we had a bit of a slow night. Why don't you take off early? That's that's always the best and uh And that was the case for the guys today. And with that though, we got a little bit more of a lengthy kind of statement and press conference, if you will, for Mike McCarthy, some updates on health status for guys like Maxie Honatchor that we've been talking about, and just where the team kind of goes from here. Still with two preseason games ahead and obviously a few weeks of practice before the regular season opener, here's what the head coach had to say earlier.
Speaker 4: Well, here you have to juggle what you're doing. What's your thought process, Mike, Well, we're gonna break camp early. You know, in some ways disappointed to leave here because this is such a great environment for us to train in. You know, it's disappointing the f and just because somebody that those are our best practices when everybody's out there. But just based off the weather, we you know, we've been kicking this thing around all morning. Uh So we're basically just gonna flip flip our days. So we're gonna break camp today. Use we have a transition day built in so more so the support staff and everything that comes up here, I'll be able to We'll get moved back here today and they'll have all day tomorrow to work on it. And Monday schedule we'll go to Wednesdays, so we'll get a full day Wednesday, gets some competitive work, padded good padded practice you know my game, and get another full training camp day you know, on the south side Wednesday. Then we'll have the Saturday type practice Thursday, you know, kind of because I'm trying to integrate with the end season schedule. It's going to look like for our players and our coaches, and then we'll you know, we'll get up Friday, have a walk through and play the game Friday night. We're disappointing then annoying or the office? Could I go both?
Speaker 5: I know that there's obviously like the decision would be made on multiple levels.
Speaker 6: But does this make you, you know, start to question whether or not it makes sense to come back here in the future with the number of you know, weather caused adjustments.
Speaker 4: In the schedule, not at all. I was, you know, talking home where I said, you know, I'm actually looking forward to next year because I'm gonna I'm gonna enjoy training camp next year. I just think anytime it's a first year, just what all the administrative responsibility and you know, going through it the first time, you know, we came up and visited a pair just to do the walkthroughs and everything, but just little things. I mean, there's there's classrooms I'm gonna flip next year. I mean just you know, just you want to get it the you know, what's you feel is the best classroom environment for your team, the best practice environment. But as far as the support staff, the facilities, you know, Saint Vincent's just as a you know, as a whole, it's an a plus. You know, I really think this is not only a special place, but this is this is a great place to train a football team, you know, just the whole environment and so forth. So the only really negative is was, I don't know, we had to cancel a couple of practice because you know, our best practices are when when our fans are out there, and it's a it's a it's a it's an awesome environment to be in. So no, I'm you know, players might not want to hear us, but we'll see if we can stay longer next year. So I mean it's uh, and I've done it different ways, you know. It's you know, and really not controlling the preseason schedule factors in the really I know in my experiences how long you stay at camp, you know when you come back, So that's a little bit of a moving target. But yeah, this, uh, Saint Vincent's is a is an a plus. Is there anything you could learn more here at Saint Vincent than practicing on the South School?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Group dynamics, everybody together, you know, you know, you have people living in North Hills, East and South Hills. So I mean it's you got you have a lot more responsibility when you're back home, so you know, we can really really knuckle down and focus on football. You know, the conversations uh these men have you know, at dinner, you know, it's at night, round the pool table, all those things at home in Derby. I mean you just yes to me. To me, training camp is critical, critical for your for your football team. I've I've I've been involved with training camp at home, but you know, but they did stay in the dorms. So I just think the ability to have everybody together, you know, going away to camp, I think it's special. I think it's it gives you a real shot to you know, start off the season the right way. Is it simple to say that Landon showed up and think that the tensions got kind of heat up or physical? I think his you know, his style play and you know we you know, it's just uh, you know, there's there's many years and in my time in this league that that was that that's that's how you practice, you know. But if you know, we we have a role, if you know, you see I see you, and we take that shot. But we don't. We don't take shots on on our teammates where the guy can't see you. So that's that's that's that's the difference of what we're trying to do. Uh. And it's more for player safety.
Speaker 5: As you mentioned, we we saw some different offensive line combinations yesterday. Was that more preparing for different situations that might arise during the season or do you still feel like that's an unsettled and unresolved competition.
Speaker 4: Between a couple of I think it's both. I mean, it's you know, we got to decide if we're going to get into left side training, right side training, you know, flip and tackle for tackle, you know, I think it really that really for me is always going back to the draft process. I mean that's why your draft tackles, and that's why I learned it as a young coach, and because you ideally like to bring a player in having you know, learned the left guard, left tackle, you know, right card, right tackle, because in its footwork with Transferraezer, you know, it's it's tough to I mean it's tough to see with Prodert, you know, forgot to go from left tackle and turn around and play right two days later. So, uh, just working all those different culminations.
Speaker 2: Mike, are you seeing young receivers take advantage of opportunities.
Speaker 4: With DK and Bittman? Definitely, Yeah, definitely, Jeremy, Max and they they'd definitely Roman. I I think those guys are you know, they've stepped up. You know, Cayden had big play there in the game, so we just gotta get him to clean up his you know, his every day stuff. You know, he's a young guy that it's got to do a better job in the mental area. But uh, yeah, I think all those guys are you know, are progressing.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 7: You worked really close with the quarterbacks all throughout camp. You talked about the you know, off the off the field stuff that you guys are able to do in those moments. What kind of opportunities did you take as a coach to get to know your quarterback room, especially the younger quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: You know, well, I, you know number one, I I I think it's real important cause I you know, I was that guy a long time ago. That quarterback coach is important in this process. Tom Martin does an outstanding job, but it's a room. Uh there's a philosophy, you know, of how it's done. Uh, it's been placed a long time toom's played in that philosophy. You know, you're not he's coaching in it. I haven't Aaron in theres Uh. You know, incredible. You know, every day he wakes up, he contributes to not only today, but the future of all quarterback room. That that's you know, that's a very unique opportunity to have in the quarterback room. And I think the young guys Mason and Crude included. I know he's nine years in or so, but it's it's it's it's really unique to be able to ask questions about a specific concept or a footwork or a read and you're talking to the guy that has twenty thousand reps in you know, over his whole career in this offense. So yeah, so you know out there, I'm actually going right from here to meet with the two young quarterbacks. So we're gonna we're gonna have a meeting and just some things we want to talk about, you know, for this week. Is it encouraging?
Speaker 6: You know, we were asking Drew or Drew's asking other night about sort of the quarterbacks school stuff, and now he's swarted to break himself and he said, well, I think my footwork was kind of bad in a couple of spots. He's sort of auto corrected himself in the moment. But when you look at the film, I mean, how much of those fundamentals that you've been harvey on since a guy here has he sort of had started to becoming.
Speaker 4: EXTINCTD right now. I think the most important point there is, you know, the point you made in your question is you know he's he corrected himself. He knew it right away. So and that's that's more than half the battle. Because you know, everybody teaches footwork a little differently. Everybody teaches you know, you know people say, oh they run the same plays they run, you know, the places are similar. I don't. I don't disagree with it. For everyone's for vertical schemes, you know, strong side flows, the weak side floods, and but we all teach it a little differently. You know, it's, uh, there's history and that goes into it. But he's you know, the ability to auto correct and and have a clear understanding and that that's important and that's why we do the footwork drills over and over again. But he's a very stute. You know, quarterback, he's played a lot of He's played a lot of quarterback. I mean this, the young man's been playing football, you know, quarterback for a long long time. And you can see it. He's he's thrown the football a lot his life, you know, go back to his high school days. So and that that's important. That's all all the things you look at when you look the draft a young man. But you know, we we got to two fine young quarterbacks here. You know, I'm excited about their future. I think obviously schedule changes aside this week of the preseason, going in game one, game two, what do you look for most from your guys? Take a step you know clearly you know there will be a message I did. You know, I'll wait to all the informations in Wednesday's practice. This was supposed to be, this was an important practice. This was a practice I was looking forward to today. Uh, yesterday was our last installed practice, our mental evaluation MS and MS was the lowest of the training camp. So you know, we're making progress. I felt really good coming off the field yesterday. The intensities was where it needed to be. So you know, I just want to, you know, get that you know, get that that work on Wednesday in the can and then I'll make it clear what you know, what the next step is that that we're looking to take as a football team. So we talked about establishing the play style, you know, the Steeler Way, and you know it's been in been in place here since the seventies, you know, so I thought our guys you know, took that to the field last week, and but now we need more discipline with it. So I mean that that will definitely be part of the message. You know, we had to you know that that many you know, personal files. You can't wait, you can't winn to you know, you can't win a game with that, that type of performance in the area of penalties. So you know that, So that'll be part of the message as we go into the game Friday. Two more rookie first round pick er.
Speaker 5: Big part of camp is that challenge organizationally and is there anything at that position particular he can do mentally and is there any chance to be seeing him back.
Speaker 4: To their progress? Uh, you know, he's making progress. You know, I don't see him playing this week. You know, it based off of you know, because he wasn't scheduled to practice today, but who knows, you know, maybe next forty eight hours if he can, if he can get in there wednesday, we'll you know, we'll see what happens. So, but you know, it's a uh, injuries are they're they're challenge to the individual because because they're missing the combination work. You know, you see, you see the work, the amount of work that you're able to get in training camp. I mean, just look at the one on one pass for us. When you're able to go pass for us, we call it two spot. When you're able to have the numbers that you have in training camp, everybody's healthy, you know, instead of a guy getting a couple of reps of getting six seven, eight reps. And and we're trying to make sure, you know, we we increase the number of cameras that are out there on the field, so we're capturing all the video and we're trying to you know, build you know, teaching progressions for each player so in every aspect of their fundamental you know, the fundamentals for their positions. So I mean that's and Max is missing that. So it doesn't you know, any player would you know, benefit from this type of atmosphere. Okay, last one, coach, how have you bounced the competitive energy flow while also mitigating you know, unnecessary restoring this team coach it. It's part of practice ethic we have. We have a video that's Joe Witz. You know, my assistant head coach does a tremendous job. You know, I've given Joe some of the head coach responsibilities that I've done in the past. He doesn't. He does an incredible job with it. So you know, we're you know, there's discipline and everything you do, you know, is there's discipline in the classroom environment. You know, our class is a lot coaches put a tremendous amount of time energy the video department, our new video directors outstanding seeming has a bright future in this league. So these guys grind away. We got all that, all those extra cameras and so forth. But you know, the pump add into you know, the cutups that we need, you know, and get it flipped timely fashion so we can watch it right after the practice. You know, there's a short break there and we're back in the meetings at three o'clock. So all that, all that plays into it. So I mean, you know, that's what's that's what's that's why can training camp so important? Right? Thank you.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy there speaking wrapping up his first go at this Saint Vincent College training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers, already talking about how we can't wait to get back next year.
Speaker 3: Matt, Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I would imagine, you know, sometimes there's coach speak and then a lot of times there's just honesty. And I would your first time, you probably don't enjoy it like you will the you know, the additions of this to come for Mike McCarthy, because.
Speaker 3: I would think you appreciate it more over the years.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like this is the first one, this is my first training camp. I gotta be all business. I gotta get work done. You probably don't have as much time to kind of sit back and, as you say, appreciate it and the history and the pageantry and all the things that happen here.
Speaker 3: But and all that stuff wonderful. But the job is to get the football team as good as possible to try to win the Super Bowl exactly, And with all respect to Joe Green and Chuck Nole, they're not helping you. You gotta beat the Ravens and the Bengals and the Browns. You know, I mean a job to get done here.
Speaker 2: A couple more things that the coach McCarthy talked about there that I want to dig in further when we return with Matt will do that to close down this second hour. You also know what that means. About twenty minutes from now, Matt and I will hit your tweets to begin Bonus Hour at five o'clock, so you know where to get at us if you want to get involved. Elert Williamson. It is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years, Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here from the campus of Saint Vincent College of course, High Top, Chuck Nolefield, West Shuler, and Matt Williamson. It's the drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network. Before we went to break, Matt, we heard from head coach Mike McCarthy. Yeah, and obviously plenty in there was, you know, a good twelve thirteen minutes or so of coach on the final day of camp here. But obviously what I really wanted to hear in the update that really stood out to me Matt was, of course along the lines of Max Ihan a chore. Yeah, and here was the quote, he's making progress. I don't see him playing this week. You know, it's based off of he wasn't scheduled to practice today, but who knows, you know, maybe in forty eight hours if he can get out there and practice Wednesday, we'll see what happens. End quote. The first part of that I didn't like because Mike McCarthy admitting that if they would have had practice today, he wasn't scheduled to practice.
Speaker 3: I was really hoping to see him today, and yeah, but I set two reasons we didn't I.
Speaker 2: Do also though, then the back half of that is maybe in forty eight hours, if he could get out there Wednesday, we'll see what happens. That at least to me, seems like they are keeping the door open and doesn't seem likely but certainly not completely closed, that he could get some practice time in this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously Mike McCarthy's very savvy with the media, and he's a smart man, and he's been an NFL head coach for a very long time. But I bet he regrets a little a week or two ago saying that Monday name. You know, when Monday came out of his mouth, all of us says, oh, he'll be back in a day, He's fine. Probably should have phrased it something along the lines of day to day, because he really seems day to day, you know, is he feeling good enough today? Well maybe tomorrow. That doesn't seem week to week or in your reserve or any of those type of things. It just seems like we'll see how each day goes and how he wakes up and what the training staff thinks. So I'm excited. I mean, unfortunately, A couple of us were talking about at the bar last night that man, they've had some early draft pick bad luck in terms of training camp, you know, and the guys you want to see most just haven't been on these fields as much as you'd like the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: No, they have not. Derek Harmon last year, Faltanu Faltonu the year before that, Roderick Jones the year before that. He wasn't as bad as the others. But I think all those guys at the.
Speaker 3: Elbow year the elbow it was did that like in seven shots? All right?
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: So it has been. It has been unfortunate. But yeah, if not this Friday, in this week, hopefully he's back for that final kind of week in pre well I shouldn't say final week, but final preseason game and able to still have a few weeks to potentially hop on that moving train and get his uh, get his feet underneath him.
Speaker 3: It is a total reading the tea leaves, and maybe I'm doing it through optimistic glasses, but I'm betting right now that he plays in the preseason probably game three. Would you take that? Yes or no? I don't say that odds.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. Yeah, yeah, but I think it's a think if you it's a true coin flip. And again if he pass one, if he practices, plus if he practices on Wednesday, then I'd say, oh yeah, even if you know, even if he doesn't play Friday against against the Jets, he'll play in the following week against the Bills. So that's that would kind of be the kicker for me is if he doesn't practice this week then and doesn't play Friday night, who knows. Yeah, he could be back Monday and and you know and play against Buffalo on Thursday.
Speaker 3: But I just I I wish I said it was a Thursday game too.
Speaker 2: It is a Thursday game to pretty quick. You have six six days of rest in between there, which really means five days because you're not gonna practice on Wednesday. You're gonna have a little walkthrough and then and then travel up the Buffalo.
Speaker 3: There's quite as many opportunities I originally thought, until you brought that up of to prove the team that he can get out there for the Bills game. I'm still gonna bet, Yes, I bet we see him in the preseason.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right. I don't have a strong feeling or a hunch either way. I just hope you're right, because man, that would be a major disappointment.
Speaker 3: Saw him. He was really good, really good, and.
Speaker 2: I wanted to continue watching that every single day.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: We got a few minutes left here in the back half of the second hour. We haven't really done a news of the day conversation as we typically do this time of year, and you want to talk news of the day. A massive breaking news decision announcement last night when one of the best, maybe the best edge rusher of his generation, but Von Miller expected to sign with the Dallas Cowboys. It's nuts, Matt. I didn't realize he had nine sacks last year with Washington and he will be that part time player. But man, I think for Dallas, when you've got some young edge rushers, anytime you can add a guy like this, who again is I mean he's going to trot into the Hall of Fame into Canton one day Super Bowl MVP, one of the best of his generation, two time Super Bowl champion, seven time All Pro Von Miller is a Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: So he went to a and m he grew up in Texas. You mentioned it, which I think is dead on. They used the first round pick on edge guy this year. Obviously Parsons is long gone, second round pick last year. It's a young room, but it has a lot of upside. Maybe he has a Cam Hayward like effect on the young pups of you know, this is professional edge rusher, and I think Dallas is in it to win it, and I'm really leaning towards picking them to win that division, although I think Philly's pretty good. He could come in and part time duty and still do quite well. We were talking about this on my podcast earlier today. I guess he had a quote on his podcast or was a guest on somebody else's. He's like, and it sounds cocky, and I'm sure it is, but I think he might be right. He said I can roll out of bed and get eight Saxons League. Yeah, I mean, I think the proof's pretty strong, right right, right.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's an crazy.
Speaker 3: We're asking him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a heck of a landing spot for him. As you mentioned, that's that's where he's from. And it was the third overall pick I think coming out of Texas.
Speaker 3: A and M something like that loaded draft that Cam Newton to Americas.
Speaker 2: Yep. J Green gets to close out his career in his home state in all likelihood. A two time Super Bowl champion, one time Super Bowl MVP, seven time All Pro, eight Pro Bowls, He's played over two hundred games in the National Football League, one hundred and thirty eight and a half sacks in his career, twenty seven forced fumbles, and a gold jacket that will one day certainly be his.
Speaker 3: I'll put him against anybody in the two thousands as an EDG rusher.
Speaker 2: He's he. I'm sure there's people you can make a viable argument for.
Speaker 3: But Miles Garrett, T. J. Watt, Yeah, I mean absolutely, but he.
Speaker 2: I think he's the dude. Matt a news out of Miami Chris Bell has been activated a football injury list.
Speaker 3: I didn't think he'd be around until, like we Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: We talked about that a lot during the draft process, how it's rookie wide receiver out of Louisville, Chrispell. Matt and I both really liked him as a prospect, but the conversation was always you might not get him back until the holidays or at least until after Halloween.
Speaker 3: Which Miami, they're not going toywhere anywhere this year. Perfect.
Speaker 2: Even if you have the red shirt him for a year, who cares?
Speaker 3: But teams that are like man, if I knew he's coming back before the season even started, I would take him in the first round.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A good news for him, good news for Miami, and certainly unexpected, but good news.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'll bring him along slow, but he's gonna be on the practice field where they thought there was I thought there was no chance. I thought he might miss the whole year.
Speaker 2: Jets running back Breese Hall suffered a groin injury today, but according to head coach Aaron Glenn, quote, I don't think it was a big deal end quote, but something to monitor going forward.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he wouldn't have played against the Steelers either way, but you know, it's more of a fantasy nugget than anything. It sounds like he'll probably be ready for the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Speaking of running backs and Steelers, former Pittsburgh Steeler Najie Harris had a visit this afternoon with the New York Giants.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make this fantasy oriented. I think our boy Skettyby is about the most overrated, the most overrated running back the league. Like if I've seen some reports from Giant speed writers and they're saying Singletary, Tracy and Scattaboo are all, you know, like basically co starters, right, they might have heard this joke and it's not mine, but Skataboo is something. Uh, but how I can remember? I just killed the joke. Adam Sandler would say, yeah, I should have thought of the name before. Just killed the joke, dude. But I think their background danger, keep your keep your day job. I think their their backfield is far from certain. People look at Skataboo like he's Oh, he's the guy, He's the next star. He runs hard, blah, he's got off a huge injury. You ran like a four to six five to begin with. I'm a little shocknoledge.
Speaker 2: He's still out there though, I am too, and I hope it works out for him. Yeah, it was obviously disappointing for him last year with the stuff with his eye and then injury. You know, go was all four years in Pittsburgh without missing a single game and then and then has a devastating injury like that, hopefully he can bounce back and find somewhere to land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think he will.
Speaker 2: The Minnesota Vikings officially placing Jamal Adams on season ending injury reserve about four hours ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, signed him recently and then he got hurt and tough league, but he his career has been kind of a weird one early early pick out LSU. Yeah, traded flat out for two first round picks. Great trade by the Jets. They didn't make it count. Seattle was able to overcome it and still be a really good organization. He might be done. I mean he's kind of a light linebacker now, which kind of fits his style. But a lot of injuries. I don't think a lot of people are banging on his door before this injury.
Speaker 2: No, and uh, and he's he had a pretty solid career, not didn't back. It didn't live up to what where he kind of started. But unfortunate for him if this is the way that it ends. And then last kind of note that I wanted to mention Matt, you and I we would spend a ton of time on this, but we did, I think, especially before the draft when we knew Drew Aller was going to be added to the fold. We talked a little bit about the future of Anthony Richardson Senior, the former top five, wasn't he Picker? Yeah, I think it was fifth overall of the Indianapolis Colts. Still so young, I think, only twenty four or twenty five years old. According to Adam Schefter, his future remains unclear, but all signs point to him remaining with the Colts this season.
Speaker 3: I took that as nobody's given him any offers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not like all that means they're they're uncertain about Daniel Jones's health.
Speaker 3: No, because they I mean they still have Riley Leonard, who I think is ahead of Richardson on the depth chart. That's why nobody wants Richardson. Yeah, and maybe they need an injury. I mean, most of these camps are full. You have the quarterbacks you need. But I'm still in the camp of Richardson, even more so McCarthy Panix. I don't think McCarthy's probably we're gonna be good. But I mean, Richardson has so much ability. I don't think he's a knucklehead. He's been injured a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, remember some of that stuff about him, like tapping out from the game like that too, tired a couple of years ago. That strikes me as something that people around the league would hate and hold against him forever. But I don't also don't think that should be enough to say for the rest of your career when you're so young and you.
Speaker 3: Know you're gonna turn your back on maybe a potential starting quarterback you can buy in the cheap because he tapped out once. I mean a lot of quarterbacks have done a lot worse. I doubt the field and you know, right, we know how that works as the league to think he has no chance to be good.
Speaker 2: I mean, Matt he just turned twenty four a couple of months ago. Yeah, so he's like a young twenty four.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one bad than I. When the Colts drafted him that early, he had the best combine NFL history. But everyone on the planet, including the Colts, new boy, this is gonna take some time, you know he is. He needs all the work you can get, and he couldn't get to work because he's always hurt. But he still needs to work. I don't know that he's any different now than he is a prospect, And I know that was two or three years ago.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, though, and he just turned twenty four, was the fourth overall pick in the twenty twenty three DRECS.
Speaker 3: I'm Shanahan or McVeigh or one of those guys. Just come hang out with us for a year and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Come to quarterback school, come to quarterback rehab, and we'll take care of you.
Speaker 3: Steelers are full, but if they weren't, I'd be like, I wouldn't mind him running. I mean, if Howard and Aller didn't exist, I would have given you a six round pick for Richardson and have him follow Aaron Rodgers around like.
Speaker 2: A dog and kee what happened, and no expectations to back them up because you got Mason Rudolph still.
Speaker 3: All the pressures off your shoulders and yeah, go to quarterback rehab with Shanahan or something.
Speaker 2: Two hours in the books bonus hour. When we return, we will get to your questions, comments, concerns, and reactions. To kick off the five o'clock hour. West Shuler, Matt Williamson, It is the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage. Only one hour left in that ongoing training camp coverage. Wow, I know that sounds it sounds crazy to say out loud. Huh right here. Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network