Speaker 1: Episode four eighteen Minimalist skincare Routines.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill. And today we're talking about our Lord and Savior, the holy trinity of skincare, moisturizers, cleansers, and sunscreen, and a little bit more. We're diving a little bit deeper than just that. Please tune into the following forty five minutes of the episode. Don't just leave now, but that.
Speaker 3: Is cost more to it though.
Speaker 1: That is what most of you said is your skincare routine. And that's great. And if you're looking to start a skincare routine or minimize, like make your skincare routine a little more minimalist, this is we are here for you. If you're looking you're already minimalists, you're looking to maybe alter or get better. You think you need more products, maybe you just need different products. We're covering all of it today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why have a minimalist and caroutine? What it can look like. I'm excited about it. What Jennin I do all because you didn't ask, But we'll tell our soft, supple skin not as supple as it wants so solidly at our thirties. Oh but first, this episode is brought to you by two step processes like refilling your water and then drinking that water, seeing your toenails are too long and trimming them, making plans and then remembering those plans, or signing up for the friend letter and opening those emails. We love a good simple, two step process for its low barrier to entry and high returns. It doesn't take much to get our newsletter, drink water, or clip your toenails, so just do it and reap the benefits for goal friendspodcast dot com.
Speaker 1: But if you're gonna choose one of the three, definitely sign up for the front front. Yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Your tonails can wait, It's totally fine. That's what flip flops are for.
Speaker 1: Dermatologists might argue that you should be drinking water, but you have to do that all day, signing up for the friend letter and opening an email just you know, thirty seconds, so you can still drink your water. But if you are interested in beautification and all of this self care. Then we have several episodes on this topic. We have episode three sixty Saving Money on Makeup, episode three thirty six, how to get self care and healthcare treatments for free or low cost. Those two compliment this episode so well, so definitely queue them up three sixty three thirty six. It's going to be a self care Sunday for you with all three of these episodes?
Speaker 3: Is it Sunday?
Speaker 1: It could be if they're listening to it on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're just being real specific about here.
Speaker 1: Ye, I mean, any day could be a self care day.
Speaker 3: You just want we just like a literation over here. Yeah, all right, Well, the article that we're primarily going through today comes from comfort Zone and it's titled The Power of a Minimalist Skincare Routine. It's quite a lengthy one, but we're going to talk about the benefits of a minimalist skincare routine and how to create a minimalist skincare routine.
Speaker 1: We're just going to call it skincare routine from here on out because that's a lot of syllables.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the first one that I'm going to highlight here is that it's cost effective that when you don't have a whole lot going into how you care for your skin. When it's when it's not a twelve step process and it's closer to a two step process, maybe even a three step process, it's going to be more cost effective because you're buying less, you're buying fewer things. That doesn't mean that you can't purchase high quality product, but if you're buying less of them, you could still win out in the long run financially.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons to minimize is so that we can use the best quality products on our skin. Our skin is our largest organ we should be prioritizing, you know, high quality when we're putting it on our skin. This isn't like a steam cleaner that we just we just covered high quality, affordable cost steam cleaners in the front letter. I was like, this is not a steam leaner. This is your skin. So you do want to be conscious of what you put on it. And we can afford to put higher quality products on our skin when we are buying fewer.
Speaker 3: Of them, and a skincare routine of any sort that is good. Using high quality products can help in cost prevention, like preventing you from getting early on set skin cancer or skin.
Speaker 1: Cancer at all, all the things that come with not enough sun care or not enough care for our skin. Prevention is always going to be more affordable than treatment or correction.
Speaker 3: So this isn't just.
Speaker 1: A cosmetic thing, like we are really looking into the future and hoping to prevent as many health care expenses in the future as we can. The next benefit of a minimalist skincare routine is that it is time saving. And I'm also going to loop this in with another one on the list, that it is easier to stick to. So the fewer things that we have, there's obviously no shortage of skincare products to choose from. The fewer we do, the more time we save. And so if you're like a busy mom like me, I hate to that sounds like I'm starting to add. If you're a busy mom like me, no, but if you barely have time to go to the bathroom and morning like while getting your kids ready, then this is a must. This is the way we make this sustainable. So it's going to be time saving, which means it's going to be easier to stick to. So remember when we buy things we want to use them. That's another big mistake that we make is that we buy these things with the best of intentions, and we don't pay attention to the season of life that we're in or how long it's going to take to do the twelve step process. So we have all these great products, but they don't get used because they don't fit in with the lifestyle. So pay attention to how your mornings and your evenings go. Maybe your evenings are more flexible and you can afford to do a little extra at night, So pay attention to those. Because the best way to save money on skincare is to use the full skincare product before it expires.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the worst. When you forget that something's around, you're not using it. Then finally you decide I'm going to use it and then rash. Yep, oh big old red rash, straight to rash. Yes. Another benefit of keeping your skincare routine minimal is that there are fewer potential skin irritants. So rash if yeh, speaking of rashes. If you have sensitive skin, then this is definitely for you, But just really any of us, the fewer products we have, the less likely we are to be exposing our skin to irritating ingredients using too many products, just stacking and stacking and stacking can cause skin issues like breakouts, blemishes, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and not to mention that then it's difficult to pinpoint what ingredients are causing a reaction when you're using a whole bunch of different stuff. So when you can really narrow it down to a really good, simple routine, then you can reap all the benefits that we been describing, but also hopefully help your skin out in the long run, have less irritance than greater levels of confidence in the way that your skin looks with a really great routine. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Then the next one for me is less clutter. I love anything that minimizes clutter because the more clutter we have around it impacts our decision making for the rest of the day. Right we wake up and we process, our head processes the number of things that we see in our house, and the more clutter we have when we wake up, that impacts negatively our decision making throughout the day. So if we can start with a minimalist skincare routine and minimize that clutter, already. That started us on a better foundation for the day to make other decisions later on. And it can it can be stressful when you have all of these products and you don't know if they're working, and you're like, should I keep using this one? I should use it because I bought it, but should I be using it at the same time as this, and YadA YadA. I get testers of like skincare products every once in a while, and I try to use them up and incorporate them, and I'm always asking what order should I put this in? Like because there is a specific order, right skincare girlies, No, there's a specific order this stuff goes in. And I was like, I have to google it again, and what does this do? Does it? Is it doing the same thing as another thing? So like it's not just like less clutter on your vanity, it's less clutter in your brain. And I mean the benefits beyond that, like it's it helps you. So having an actual skin care routine is great because it allows you to create these solid routines that minimize the chaos and the clutter of your schedule, and you can stack new habits onto it. So you can either stack a new skincare routine onto an old routine like brushing your teeth, and then in the future, when you're trying to build another new habit, maybe like tracking your expenses or checking your net worth or something financial, you can stack it onto your skincare routine. So yeah, it just it lessens the clutter physically and mentally. And I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all love that.
Speaker 1: And in our schedule, our mourning like schedule routine are all around.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the how to of creating a minimal skincare routine. So the first is that you're going to want to assess what type of skincare needs you have. They list out some common skin types, being acne prone or oily, skin sensitive skin, dry skin, or a combination. Could mean that you've got some spots on your skin that are dry other parts that may be more oily. But the good news is that there are products for all types of people. So chances are you probably have a decent understanding of what your skin type is. But of course, uh something you can ask the dermatologist or a friend who might know. If they've done deep dives on the type of skin that people have, you can probably there's probably a quiz even, But then we also have linked in our show notes the different types. So the trinity that that gen identify.
Speaker 1: Fly trinity of skin care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. So we've got these linked on what type of cleanser, what type of moisturizer, what type of sunscreen might be best for your specific skin type?
Speaker 1: So did you know there are eight types of cleansers?
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I did not know this. I thought it was so I have oily skin. What kind of skin do you have?
Speaker 3: Normal? I've been told I have a very typical If anything, I might err on the side of dry, but mostly just right in the middle.
Speaker 1: So there are different So there are gel cleansers, cream cleansers, oil, foam, clay powder, my cellar, missile, I'm not sure it's French, and bar cleansers. And so I anticipate that each of these, even underneath has different for oily combination dry. So definitely check out this article because we're not going to go through what each one is. But it would be like if you have a lot of cleansers at home, because and you hear and you hear all these like dermatologists on TikTok and instagramm or maybe not dermatologists, maybe just girls go into Sephora buying skincare products. Like they're all talking about these different like miracle cleansers that they love, but it may not be a fit for you, Like it may not be a fit for your skincare type, and you may be able to find a cleanser that you love better. I think mine, Oh, we're going to go through our skincare is later, but like I've tried a lot of these not knowing there was a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and again with moisturizers as well as sunscreen, there are different recommendations for different types of skin and even different ages and what you're looking for out of your moisturizers. So there are different benefits that moisturizers can provide, like hydration, protection from the sun, brightening, anti aging. So depending on where you're at in life, you might have different values on what you're and type of skin you have on what your moisturizer is going to be doing for you. So I would say it's worth putting some research into this. I know that that's one of the things that can be overwhelming, and that's why we end up buying all these products and have this collection of clutter in our drawers and cabinets. But if you could just look at a couple of articles on cleansers, moisturizers and sunscreens and pick what's right for you and stick to that, and I would say give it at least a month before you really decide does this product work for me? Does it not? Because it does take our skin sometime to respond to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are a lot of different types of cleansers, but not as much for moisturizers and sunscreens. So they're saying there's only three type of moisturizers, emollients, heemectints, and exclusives, and there's one of each for each of the skin types. So moisturizer are much easier to figure out. And then for sunscreen, I think they were just saying there's two types so you can decide. And this also choosing what kind you want will also help you if you want to combine any So that brings me to my next how to is to choose multi purpose products. So I personally I have a combination Pizza Hunt and Taco Bell. I can't say combination with us. I have a combination moisturizer, sunscreen, and like foundation, it's my dream product. It costs forty five bucks, but it's a good quality. I think it's from smash.
Speaker 4: Box and.
Speaker 1: I love it. So the people at Alta or Sephora can kind of also lead you to the right if you know the words. If you're like, I know I need a GELM cleanser or I want an emollient, they can lead you to where that is. You don't have to show up to Target and be like I need an emollient, like what he where? How? What? But you could also if you do want to buy from the drug store, you can't just google like best emolient, moisturizer, stuff like that, so you can find it there. But if you're looking to buy maybe higher quality products that are not necessarily you know, Target quality, then you can just like run into a Sephora or Alta and say the words and they should know what you mean. But you can buy a lot of you know, multi multi purpose things. So I have at night just like a regular moisturizer, but then in the day I have a moisturizer and sunscreen, and then if I'm going out seeing people, I have the expensive moisturizer, sunscreen foundations. So I have a couple offs just because you have always.
Speaker 3: Like a three step, but a three step for different points of the Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like I don't just have three products, right, but at any time I'm only using two to three.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll talk about that later. But yeah, there there are a lot of options if you're going for the combination route. Do you have combination products.
Speaker 3: Jill, Yes, yes I do. The foundation that I use is like a lightweight, like, yeah, what you're saying, like moisturizer and sunscreen. It has the zinc oxide in it, which is a more natural SPF forty five, which I know a lot of people turn their nose up at makeup that has SPF in it, like it's not enough because usually you're talking more like fifteen to twenty SPF.
Speaker 1: But forty five on the face, yes, dirty is the recommendation for a sunscreen. Yeah, they say you should have a thirty SPF on your face, So if your makeup has less than that, you'll want to be adding a sunscreen on top of it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and a cleanser that can also act as a makeup remover. I think also just makeup that is easily removed, or depending on what kind of mascarra you use, sometimes you need specific remover for mascara, and so I've just simplified by doing mascara that doesn't require mascara remove. Wow. Okay, yeah, I think like your waterproof mascaras can be really hard to get off with just a regular cleanser.
Speaker 1: Okay. They're also saying, if you are somebody who's committed to like vitamin C or other antioxidants, instead of buying an additional serum, that you can look for products with active in those as active ingredients. Those are in there too, but those specific things aren't required.
Speaker 3: Speaking of simplifying, also simplifying the steps, which is what we're talking about here. In this specific article, they're describing cleansing using a toner, moisturizing, and applying sun protection. So they're adding in that extra step of a toner. But decide what works for you. If you can really simplify it down to just three steps, that'd be great. Cleanse, moisturize, skin protect and at night, really could just be cleanse and moisturize, potentially with any other additional pieces you want to add in, whether an under I cream is important to you, or a specific type of serum is important, or a retinol, you decide what you want that to be. But know that you can get a really good, high quality, simplified routine in just three steps. You don't have to listen to all the noise of people telling you it needs to be twelve steps and thirty two products.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that takes me. That does take a long time because you need to wait between thirty to sixty seconds between each step for each product to fully absorb.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you have, if you have a twelve step process that is taking you no less than fifteen minutes to do, and.
Speaker 3: Some people love that. Like, if that if you know that this is the routine that works for you and it's not prohibitive to you caring for your skin and that's just a nice routine at night.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But if you think that's what you have to do in order to you're probably care of your episode.
Speaker 1: If that is you, you don't want a minimalist skincare routine, and that's great, that's great. Don't force this episode on your friend who has a twelve step process that they love. But yeah, like, if you have just three products and you're waiting a minute between each. I will brush my teeth. That's that's my like sixty seconds, I'll you know, cleanse, brush teeth, put you will actually cleanse, and then put on retinal. That's my at night instead of sunscreen, I use retinal. I'm thirty five. I just started using retinal because retinal less expensive than botox. I'm saving money.
Speaker 3: We love a good hack.
Speaker 1: There's your money. Say, if you take nothing else from the episode, choose a retinal instead of botox. There you go.
Speaker 3: So I'll do not get the same results, but.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be similar something you're gonna say. If you value your money over your fine lines, then this may be the way.
Speaker 3: To go for you.
Speaker 1: You so cleansing and then retinal, and then I'll brush my teeth after that that's been a minute, and then moisturizer. So usually that's all I need to do. If I have something special, then then I'll go like wrangle one of my children for doing something. I don't know what I'm wrangling them for, but something. Usually the baby's already asleep when I do my skincare routine, and it's just usually making sure that KAI is putting on his pajamas because he usually like he stops midway through that process and that's troublesome for me. So yeah, and that'll take a minute, and then I'll get back and I'll do the last step.
Speaker 3: There you go wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then this leads into perfectly into the last part of how to it's to stick to your routine and adjust as needed. So a lot of these products, it's going to take a few months for you to see any difference, if you see anything at all. If it's preventative, then you hopefully won't see a difference. Hopefully you'll just stay the way you are for the rest of your life and have the skin of a five year old when you're eighty. That's what I'm going for. But you definitely want to stick to a consistent routine because, like they said on the retinal bottle, you got to use it every day. And I don't know if that's a marketing thing that they're saying, like you have to use it every day and keep buying more, but all of the internet is also saying you have to use it every day. Uh, and then after a period of time, like a couple months, then you can't adjust. So This is perfect. When you buy a product, use it in its entirety before you you figure, like before you decide to stop using it or use something else. Don't use it halfway because it probably hasn't.
Speaker 3: Unless it's causing you irritation or you notice there's a bad reaction, right.
Speaker 1: If you are, if it's doing something bad your skin, stop using immediately. But if it's just kind of like a I don't know if this is doing anything, maybe I should like buy something else. Stop and just remember the reasons you bought it in the first place. Know that it takes a few months. Use what you have, and don't go out and buy something different right now because of this episode. If you already have stuff at home, like maybe you've got a gel cleanser and you want to try a powder cleanser. If the geil cleansers do an okay for you, use it up and then when you're buying something new, then you can get something different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or even keep a log of how did this one work? What do I think? Because we often forget how how what was my reaction to that gel cleanser? What did I think about it? I don't know it was months ago.
Speaker 1: Like get a note in your phone or use notion to you know all of any makeup. This is especially important for makeup. When you're buying makeup and seeing like what shades worked best on you, what ones didn't. All that you can just tack on your skincare notes right underneath your makeup notes. That way when you're going to restock. I realize that I restock on makeup once a year. That's how I I'm not a big makeup skincare person. That's not like an impulse spending thing for me, but I do want to buy it, and so I have given myself one time a year I will buy everything fresh and makeup girlies are yelling at me because they're like, you need to change your mass care every two weeks. I have never had an issue by doing this, but I'll rebuy everything once a year. I'll give myself permission to get another like lipstick, try something. I can try anything, but I only try it that one trip per year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it kind of forces me to try new things because otherwise I wouldn't. And getting our colors done definitely help me get a little bit more adventurous. Yeah, Like the only thing I get adventurous with is lip color and they don't want to get too adventurous with that. So the same can be with with skincare too. If you are neglecting having a skincare routine because maybe you're a little nervous about it, you don't think you need it, Like maybe give your self permission once a year to do this thing guilt free because it is so good.
Speaker 3: I think that's another cost effective thing, like having someone do an analysis on you of yeah, your colors or your skin type. I honestly even think that, like all tons of for they can do like at least the skin type piece and recommend some things that are going to be good for you specifically, because again we sometimes just buy stuff throwing spaghetti at the wall, see and is this going to work for me? Thinking that's the less costly option, when in reality we just keep buying and buying and buying. So between really understanding what your needs are, what's going to work for you, and then only buying those things, prioritizing the essentials checking out just some highly rated drug store brands too, Like, there are ways to still save while having a good routine. And like we said, the multipurpose products, embracing natural ingredients as much as possible. And I'll talk a little bit and a little bit about how to maybe find products that are a little bit more like sustainable or eco friendly. But there's a lot of different options out there. But hopefully the takeaway can be keep it simple. Yeah, you don't have to have all the options exactly, but.
Speaker 1: You do have all the options.
Speaker 3: You know, the option that I always want to have.
Speaker 1: Though this is a minimalist part, like there's just one thing after every article, like segment this is it. That's all you need.
Speaker 3: The bell of the week.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. That's bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, my name is Susan from Salt Lake City, and my bill of the week is that I just spent twenty five dollars seventy four cents on a new eyeliner from Sophora. Why this is exciting is that all of twenty twenty four, my husband and I have decided to make a no spend year with some exceptions, some parameters in place, but we're trying to pay off a nagging debt that we have a home equity credit line, and so we've decided to just cut back on any discretionary spending we can to have the payoff of this a goal by the end of the year. So the rule is with cosmetics and toilet trees, I cannot buy new things until old ones are used up. And at the beginning of the year, I went through and collected all the little trial size, sample size items that I have mini mas scerras and a sample I cream and little bars of soap from an old admin calendar, and I corralled them all and I'm using them up rather than using the supply I already had in my shower in my makeup case, and so far by using all that stuff, an eyeliner is the first thing that I've had to spend money on. So I would encourage any listeners who can to round up all that stuff or get donated if you're not going to use it yourself, but save yourself some money, save it from just being tossed in a landfilled down the road if it's not used, try to make the best.
Speaker 3: Nice yes perfect.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Goldie saved this for this episode or if it just happened to be on this one, but yes, I love doing that. I just got a gift my birthday freebie from Ulta is a little leaving conditioner. So I do need that for traveling, and so it saved me from having to buy one.
Speaker 3: But yes, yeah, I love the samples for the travel pieces. It saves me from buying really marked up travel size stuff that is such a waste in my estimation, this is really exciting, Susan. I hope that you are able to pay off that debt soon. Feel free to give us a callback whenever you do. We'd love to celebrate with you if you all are listening and you have a bill to share with us, whether it's about decluttering, using stuff up, putting little games around, debt payoff, or your name is Bill forrgal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill, Leave you Bill, and now it's time for plady around, all right.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help myself in talking about my skin type and my skincare routine. Throughout this, but I think we can get a little bit more granular in the lightning round about our skin and our skincare routine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lay it on us, Jen, what you do, what you got.
Speaker 1: So I do have oily skin.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It's kind of normal on my cheeks, but very oily in my t zone. So I don't know if it's combination or oily. I don't know. I've I've never officially been diagnosed.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, you know yourself best, so, but I just know.
Speaker 1: That I use oil free everything. Like nothing on my face has oil in it because it will just the foundations will get cakey. Even the smash Box one isn't perfect. But using a moisturizer does help with how oily my skin gets. So that's another another way. Knowing your skin type and using the right products helps save money on makeup because it's less reapplying if you're using if you're not getting his oily and having to like reapply your makeup, just that's a that's a bonus. But so I have been I use mostly Sarah v Sarave, you know Michael Sarah's skincare.
Speaker 3: That is such an amazing not marketing.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl ad was so good. If you haven't seen it, the sarave like company of skincare just hired Michael sarah to I like say that it was his skincare line. But so that's pretty much what I use because it's affordable. Every single dermatologist on TikTok loves it, and I was like, if they love it, I love it because that's because they have the best say. They say what's best. So I'll use in the morning their combination moisturizer sunscreen. The sunscreen is thirty SPF. It's thick like a sunscreen too, write so I use their moisturizer without SPF at night and that's very thin and light. But I really have to work it in in the morning, so just be aware, like it's if you don't really rub it in, it's gonna leave like a white film on your face. So I just use it very lightly, like one pump on my face in there and we're good. And then I'll use the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell moisturizer foundation that screenza My hopes the song still exists. The song lives in perpetuity on the Internet. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, you can search for it. So that is the morning if I use the smash Box combo, I don't typically use the Survey one, and then I'll do my makeup as normal, and then at night I will use a collection of products. Usually that's when I'm using the samples. So it's said on the internet to work up your retinal usage, So start every other day and then work up to once a day and then maybe even twice a day. But retinal it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. So if you're going to use it, use it at night almost exclusively, unless you really I don't know why you'd need to use it in the morning, but unless you really need to use a lot of it, like by all means retinal yourself. But I use it just at night, and right now I'm currently I just started with my thirty fifth birthday, so I'm using it like every other night, and so every other night I'll use one of the like skincare gifts that I've been gifted recently, the samples, So yeah, that is what I'll do, and then when I run out of those, I'll just use the retinal every night and that is it.
Speaker 3: That is all That's that's all she wrote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't use so they were talking about in this article that we didn't go over, like serums. I don't use any serums unless retinyl is a serum.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it could be depending on what kind of retinal you get.
Speaker 1: The Sarah Retina use that one because I also looked for the best retina and that one was on there and it was like dermatologists love it, and I was like, well, I love it too. Apparently it's also a good starter retinal because retinals come in different potencies, right, so as a starter, I thought, this is this will be good.
Speaker 3: Just a sarab a Gurly.
Speaker 1: I am a Sarah a Gurly.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just I don't know. I I yeah, that's how I am for you, not because of their advertising or maybe they are paying dermatologists to say this. I don't know, but it's for me. So but but yeah, So that and exfoliance sometimes people I'm seeing exfoliance on these lists, but that's debatable. So serums and exfoliance sometimes are on the minimalist skincare routine list, but not every but the three that are on every are the cleanser moisturizers, and in that order, always cleanser first, moisture, you go, you go, in order of heaviness. So when I'm doing the retinal, I'll do cleanser, retinal moisturizer. But in the morning it's cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen.
Speaker 3: Heaviest first, lightest last.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, lightest first, heaviest last, because sunscreen is heavier than moisturizer. Yeah, but retinal is lighter.
Speaker 3: Than the moistures. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Lightest first, heaviest last, and waiting that thirty to sixty seconds between each layer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, there you go. Wow. Okay, So I have what I believe to be normal skin, but airing on the side of dry, if anything dry, which I have learned that dryness can also lead to some breakouts. Both oily skin and dry skin can suffer from that. So that's one of the things I have to kind of keep in mind as I've gotten even like into adulthood. But I have noticed things beyond skincare can lead to blemishes in the skin. And I remember when we did the pole for this episode, people responded back citing their diet a lot too related to how they care for their skin, and this is going to be different from everybody, But for myself, I notice that my skin does not have a great reaction to sugar, So thankfully I like salt and savory things far more than sugar, so it's just not something that I typically enjoy anyways. And then there's this added piece of if I do eat more sugar than typical, I will notice it in my skin. So that's also something to be paying attention to. Is how your body's responding to the time of month, that it is, what you're eating, your stress levels, all three of those things. That's a whole other trinity that plays into what my skin can look like. But my routine at this point, and I began this maybe around like thirty two, when I started to realize that my routine from eighteen years old should probably shift like that was what was I was still doing. It was using some sort of cleanser that has been on the shelves of drug store since I was a teenager, and just still doing that thing, but starting to care a little more about how do I make my skin and body last for as long as I can. So I came across this company called Dime not sponsored but do love them, and they've got a variety of different products, but you can kind of buy like an entire system, And I appreciate it for the fact that I don't feel like I have to shop around a bunch of different brands to find one cleanser or one moisturizer or one tone or like. They kind of have everything that you need so I don't have to That was prohibitive to me, Like I want a good skincare routine, but I don't want to have to get my cleanser from here, and my moisturizer from there, and my sunscreen from over here. I just wanted a one stop shop. Plus for me, something that's really important is utilizing natural ingredients and sustainable business practices. I like to use the EWG app. It's EWG Healthy Living. Many of you might be familiar with this. It's something where you can check out both like skincare, hair care, cleaning products on their app. They've got really high standards, highest standards for health and transparency related to chemicals of concern and just kind of being overall ethically sourced all of that. So Dime has really great ratings on the AWNG app. So when you're talking like affordability but quality. This has been that radical middle for me. But it includes cleanser, moisturizer, toner, and serums. And then occasionally I will add in like a mask that is separate. I use the like Aztec clay mask.
Speaker 1: I've never used to clay masks before, but I, for the first time ever used one of those face masks that come in the sheet. Yes, uh huh. And it was like, you have to keep it on for fifteen to twenty minutes, right, yeah, And Travis comes into the bathroom like, don't look at me, and if you do look at me, don't say anything. And I was like, I don't think I could ever. I don't think I'll do this again. I scare me like I'm not gonna suck. I can't show that. I can't look at my children, I can't look at my husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I can't vulnerable thing to walk around with the mask eye, and particularly the clay mask really like makes your skin feel really tight as it's happening, but afterwards, my skin feels so soft, and I think it is a nice exfoliant. I know we've been focusing primarily on our face skin. We didn't totally specify that. Obviously, our skin is our entire body, not that and there's not too much that we're doing with our whole body, although we should put sunscreen on all of it if we're out in the sun. But something I'm noticing lately is how important exfoliating all of the body is. Like we wash our faces every day, but we're not always like using some sort of gentle scrub on the rest of our bodies. But that can be a really good practice for kind of rejuvenating your skin cells. Yeah, my legs, yeah, feet exactly. And then yeah, if you want getting a good moisturizer for the rest of your body too, I think that's important. I think that's one of the things we kind of push aside. We might or we might get some cheap and I mean that in the true sense of the word moisturizer. But like you said, Jenn at the beginning, our skin is our biggest organ and so I think as much as we need to be concerned about what we're putting on our face, we should be concerned about the lotions we're putting on our whole body is getting absorbed into our entire system through the skin. So be a little bit judicious about it.
Speaker 1: I was really inspired by our interview with The Low Tox Life about the things that I'm putting in my body, especially the sense around the artificial sense around me, and to just to move toward a body wash that's more natural. I'm not super crunchy, but I know the things that are directly going into my lungs and into my skin and into my stule, like my body, those are the things I want to be the most cautious about as far as like what is in them? Yeah, yeah, So thank you so much for listening, guys. I hope that this helped you kind of discern how you want to either start, amend, reduce, you know whatever to your skincare routine. I hope it saves you money, and I hope it saves you physical space. And if it did, we'd love to hear about it in a rating and review like this one from Oh my.
Speaker 3: Lord, How I would say it too?
Speaker 1: Oh like Meat and Candy five stars, This keeps getting worse and worse. Jill and Jen have an obvious chemistry, and each podcast is a combination of healthy, applicable inform yet fun to listen to and very professionally done, fun vibe. I'm excited to hear more.
Speaker 3: Ah, I'm like meat and candy.
Speaker 1: Who's the meat and who's the candy? Wow, We're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to leave that one on to imagination decide. Thanks for that very thoughtful, intriguing review. Again, Thank you everyone for listening. Please leave us a review, Please sign up for the friend letter, Please keep coming back for more. We love it, We love it all.
Speaker 1: Can't do it without you. See you next time. Google Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 3: Jen Jill. I went to Sephora for the very first time.
Speaker 1: You went to Tampa.
Speaker 3: I was already in Tampa. Okay, so neither.
Speaker 1: That's why I didn't get a birthday Ruby from Sepphora because I did not want to drive to Tampa.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I did not know that we didn't have one in Saint Pete. Just learning that now, Okay. I went there to get lipstick for our photo shoot for our author bios.
Speaker 1: Author headshots and bios. The picture is the head shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did I say, author bios? No, gosh, we were just hiding. Also author headshots. Man, I can't think or talk. Nope, and I didn't want to make the mistake of just buying a lipstick that looks good on the shelf. I needed to try it on. And those are the types of places that will allow you to do that.
Speaker 5: Oh man.
Speaker 3: But again, like I said, this is the first time I'd ever been. I've been to it Alta once before. But I get the stress sweats. The place dresses me out. Really, I realize, I don't know, Jenna, just it feels so complicated to me.
Speaker 1: There are so many products for something so niche as body.
Speaker 3: It just feels, yeah, it feels like it's right in my face. How much I don't know about that world, and it just feels so overwhelming to me. But then also the way that they have the store set up. It's by brand, Yeah, so everywhere has everything and that, which I guess it's like a drug store too, it's arranged by brand, but there's just so much more of it. It's like going into a Sam's Club when you're used to an Aldi or something. It just is so much and then someone comes to help you, and that's great, but then they're like putting mirrors in your faces and there's fluorescent lighting and I'm just not used to looking at myself that much, and somebody else looking at me and like trying to determine what to put on me, and I just like I was sweating. I was stressed, the type of you know how like stress. Their sweat is different like when you exercise versus when you're stressed.
Speaker 1: Yes, one smells, he was.
Speaker 3: It was the second exactly. One's very normal and the other one feels thick. Yeah, oh man, I just it was not not for me.
Speaker 1: So sorry.
Speaker 3: Poor Eric was with me. He's color blind.
Speaker 1: So he is literally he is color he can.
Speaker 3: Still see like some colors, just like certain colors don't show up for him, so he's he's not necessarily someone who can give super accurate feedback on like color paletting. But then so then I'm just like I've tried on. Oh my, I looked like a toddler playing in their mother's makeup drawer by the time, because I had put so much lipstick on my face but then had to keep rubbing it off. But then of course they didn't have all the different supplies to be able to remove and reapply it like they had, you know, eye eyelash, not eyelash eyebrow applicators that I'm trying to use to put lipstick on me, and it just was like my limbs were red outside of my lips and it just was not great. But I was stressfully, we're getting these pictures.
Speaker 1: We had very little time to coordinate a photo shoot and then get that shoot done. Yeah, and both of us were unprepared for how quickly these things would come up, like author headshots, author bio catalog copy which I didn't even know that's what it was called. It's just what you read when you go to the Amazon page for the book.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know if it convinces you whether or not to buy the book, but very it needs to be written this cover, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought I had a day between writing the book and having that stuff come out, but it is negative days that we had. I was like, I'm trying to trying to finish this my culmination of my life's work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need the time, and we just can't stick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh man, I'm so sorry. I kind of feel like Anne Hathaway and Princess Diaries. When I go into those places, I feel like everybody is just looking at me and they're like, oh my gosh, poor princess of Genovia. You need us come here, and I'm like, yes, I am, I am the pre am.
Speaker 3: And then you've got these these people walking around with big old baskets, hell head high with confidence, no one exactly what they want to put in that.
Speaker 1: Basket or not really what is that? What is that thing do?
Speaker 3: I didn't even know that was a part of your face that you needed to care about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am authentically and Hathaway premaking. If you see my hair, you just if you like compare us, You're like, yes, actually you are. And I feel like so absorbed into the fold of like eventually they're going to bring out two pictures of me that I didn't know they took. I couldn't release my face and I'm going to be beautiful one day.
Speaker 3: I do think that you're beautiful, but I can commiserate. It's a whole other land and world and I need guy, I need guidance in it.