Speaker 1: I mean, if they could lock him up, that would be a pre World Series type for aid in Baltimore knowing they have this kid for many years to come.
Speaker 2: All right, here's what we want to cover with Baltimore. Let's start with the starting staff. They lost Corbin Burns. They made major waves last year when they picked up Burns via trade with the Brewers, but Burns is gone. He goes to Arizona, Charlie Morton and Chicano on the back end of that rotation. Winning in October. The O's haven't won a playoff game since twenty fourteen. That needs to change. In twenty twenty five there in their winning window, and that was after that really really rough tank job that we saw for a long period of time. Show Gunner Henderson the money right now while you still can. Baltimore has new ownership. They said that no finances are going to hold them back, so that Bobby Wood junior deal would be a nice little comp something to think about. And also for Baltimore. Yeah, there it is. Yes, winning in October, and happy Holidays too, Jackson Holiday. How will the former number one overall pick performing in sophomore season after an up and down rookie campaign. He's very very young. So let's go over all this right now. We're going to bring in our guest making his FT debut, Steve Moleski. You can follow him at Steve on Baseball Covers the Ools for a long time. As I mentioned, Steve, great to have you on. I'm going to go right to Baz and this is the big question. Is the starting rotation good enough to be a division title contender and really a World Series contender because they're right in the thick of their winning window and they lost Corbin Burns.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Well, there are a few ifs there, as I think people know. I think one way the Oriols would look at this. Scott is zach Effln was really good in his nine Oriel starts sub three era. Grayson Rodriguez in his last let's say, thirty three starts after he came back, he got to the majors, really struggled, went back to Triple A in the thirty three starts. Since he has been back in the big leagues, his era is three thirty five. His whip is like one point fifteen, and I mean those stats are not far off. What Cole Reagan's has done and did last year when he was believe fourth in the cy Young. So I think the Orioles, looking optimistically, say last year they combined for twenty nine starts for our team. This year, if they can combine for sixty, maybe even a few more, then at least the front end is formidable, and we'll see how Sigano does. We'll see if Charlie Morton still has some magic at forty one, can Dean Kramer take a step forward, and then they've got some depth behind that.
Speaker 3: As a former one to one pick, Jackson Holiday had an up and down rookie year, a lot of really exciting moments for a baby to be in the big leagues. What's the outlook for his sophomore season, because he's gonna need to improve if this team is going to keep him in the lineup to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Talk about the smallest of sample sizes. It was the final weekend of the regular season in twenty twenty four, the Oriols at Minnesota and Jackson Holliday that weekend dropped the highlight kick he had used throughout his amateur and professional career to that point. They had behind the scenes been working on some tweaks and he was drilling the ball. He went like four for five that weekend. He hit one four hundred feet off the left center field wall in Minnesota. And so again that's the ultimate small sample size. But Brandon Hyde said he was incredibly encouraged by that change, and he had all winner to be at home at Oklahom with his dad working on it. He reported to Florida even bigger and stronger, added some weight, and so I think we know this kid's makeup, mental makeup is incredibly strong. So the struggles he had, I don't think that's going to bother him in the least. I think he remains very confident what he can do.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 1: It's a matter of guys, does he improve to league average or does he take a step beyond that, which I think eventually he is going to do.
Speaker 4: Another guy, Gunner Henderson, who's been absolutely spectacular these first couple of years here just coming into his own time to lock him up. Man, I got a feel and this is one of those guys that should be there for a long time. I think he will be there for a long time. He's got comps to you know, Bobby Wood junior kind of look and feel and play and money wise, what's holding them back here a little bit?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think the first year of the new ownership with David Rubinstein and his group was a fact finding year, learning what it's like to on a major league club. You'd never done that. There are a lot of ballpark improvements and the ools are making so there are things happening beyond just the major league roster. But Michael Isias has said he's got their full support. Their payroll did grow to fifteenth from near the bottom this year. A lot of that with arbitration raises, but they also added O'Neil. They have athlete at eighteen million, so there is some spending not seen in Baltimore in several years to this point. But you're right, fans and media wonder when will be the big signing. They didn't re sign Burns, they didn't get Max Free, they haven't extended any of the young guys. And I mean, you got Adlie, you got Gunner, you got Westburg, you got Grace, and you got Galzer. Everywhere you look there's a young guy who might be part of their long term future. But Gunner heads that list I mean, if they could lock him up, that would be you know, that would be a pre World Series type parade in Baltimore, knowing they have this kid for many years to come.
Speaker 4: Steve.
Speaker 3: In twenty fourteen, I was in the dugout for the two games in Baltimore where our Royals pounded the Orioles, and a security guard while we were leaving said we'll see you guys in four days, meaning they were gonna beat us in KC and we're gonna come back. Well, now we're in twenty twenty five. Still haven't seen a playoff victory since then. So whoever that security guard was is probably sick and tired of this. And how's it going to turn around in twenty twenty five because you've seen it, You've seen this tank job, and it's built up for this team. They need to change it in twenty twenty five. How are they gonna do it?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, when someone asked me this week, what's going to determine this season? I said, you know, it's going to be six months of the grind of baseball to get to October, which when we look a year from now, that's how we'll look at their season in October go team has been swept out two straight years, ten straight playoff losses. They have not won a playoff series since the series before that ALCS in twenty fourteen against the Tigers. So that is the next stepping stone for the Orioles. They have rebuilt the team. They went from one hundred and fifteen losses to one hundred and one wins. They showed they could win the Aled East in twenty twenty three. They've still got a fertile farm. Now they have to win in October. I mean, that's the next step for this team. And as we know, the Yankees will tell you, even the Dodgers could tell you many bites of the apple before you actually get it. It is the crapshoot, they say, October baseball now in Major League Baseball. But that's the next hurdle for this team. And when October comes, the pressure will be on the Orioles if they make it, which they look like they have a good chance to do.
Speaker 3: Steve, did you say a fertile farm. I just want to make sure I heard you right.
Speaker 1: It has fallen in the farm rankings. I'll grant you that, but they still have two times fifteen guys here Besio and Mayo, two top fifteen, top twenty who we have barely seen, and some guys behind that they like, like Bradfield. So I think it was a natural progression. You cannot stay number one forever. The Braves have sort of done it. The Dodgers. It's hard to win at the major league level and have a top farm. So yeah, it's probably not as fertile as it was when they were ranked number one, when guys like Jackson Holliday were in the farm and going further back, Adalie and Gunner. But I think they still feel good about it, and they really feel good about their international program, which if you look at their top thirty right now, it's almost half international. There are very few teams that can say that, so they do have some next wave or two coming they feel.
Speaker 3: I love that you said fertile farming. The issue is what happens from a fertile farm. You build beautiful, beautiful produce, but if it never gets picked, it rottens and all of these prospects could be rotting. Is michae Elias going to be able to create all these beautiful prospects and never get rid of him? To get over the hump or is he going to be able to change his evaluation and say, you know what, it's okay, we got rid of Norby. He's going to have success. But we believe in in you know, we picked up we picked up Rogers, whether it's good or bad. Is he going to be able to get away from that evaluation or is it going to be the same old, same old.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the pressure on the Oil front of office is Okay, you rebuilt it. You said you wanted to make an elite farm system. You did. You said you wanted to get back to winning, you did, and now can they win in October? That pressure's on the entire organization from Micha Elias on down. And I think Mike is a first time general manager. And while he's been very good in Baltimore, he would probably even tell you, uh that. Now the test for him and his staff is to keep it going, keep winning. He said, I only want to rebuild this once. We don't want to go through this twice. And stay relevant, stay winning, stay good, keep the window vast, and kick the door in. So that's the test for Mike two. He got him to this point. Now what does he and his staff do to take the next steps.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Hey, we're waiting for it. I know Baltimore is very very anxious for that next step, so we'll see what happens. It's great to have you on here for the first time. Really appreciated Steve. Everyone can give Steve a follow if you don't already. Steve on Baseball covers the oriol super super well, so we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Great to have you all right, Thanks Scott, Thanks guys,