Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Filed Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. It is trade deadline time. It is going quickly. Things are happening. Trek Scuble was traded to the Dodgers. The Cubs did not get Schooble, but they get a big name. Maybe he's not at his peak anymore, but Kevin gossman veteran, obviously has a higher era this season. I think it's like four to three. I've written it so many times over the past few days, but he had a start in between, so now I can't remember the exact number. It's it's higher than you want to see. But like everything underneath, the hood looks good. This is a proven veteran who's performed in the postseason. A lot of things the Cubs like about him. He's a rental, don't give up a ton, likely gonna make playoffs, start assuming help, and that he looks right on the field. That's the type of talent he is. Uh, you know, not school but in the rich get richer with school. Go in la but this is this is a nice, nice addition for the Cubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the.
Speaker 3: Reason is to be genuinely excited. And we've discussed this name for a bit now. I think the Cole Hamil's comp is definitely relevant and interesting. You know what we hear? Uh, it's just what a great dude Gosman is? That are really plus presence in the clubhouse a guy, a guy who posts to use kind of a clubhouse term. And look, I mean to put up two quality starts against the Dodgers in the World Series, Ah, I think tells you everything you need to know. I'm not gonna spend a lot of time worrying about who they gave up, but not like, uh didn't seem like a whole lot. I'm just looking at the Athletic now the headline for Trade Grade series. Is this really all the Blue Jays could get for Kevin Gosman. It's by Annie McCullough and Steven Nesbitt. It's like, you know, the Cubs have the surplus of you know, kind of young position players who probably don't have a spot to play, and if they wind up being really good and I think to get that win now, piece to help you. I think Cups fans should be excited about this edition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think these are like bad prospects by any means, but they're the type that they say, like a realistic good outcome for these guys are like really good bench player and you know, fill in if needed for a couple of months. You don't like, these aren't the types of prospects that you say, that's a starter on a playoff team, that's what you want to have in your system to trade if if that's what you're training to get a quality piece, I think like that's that's the sign of something healthy in the organization at least because remember, like we talk about this a lot, like they weren't able to swing like even deals like this when their system was struggling post like twenty seventeen ish, they started to struggle with the system and even get like swinging the smaller moves turned out to be pretty hard. Something We've talked a lot about Gosman on this show, Patrick, and I've explained reasons why I like him. The strikeout rates the same similar to the past couple of years, not when he was at the top of his game. The walk rates similar contact, all that stuff. The quality of his pitches and the type of pitches that he's throwing all very similar to recent seasons when he had a better era, going in front of a better defense. You touched on it, but like he is a work course. He is from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty five is lowest inning total was one seventy four two thirds. I know this isn't the like if you grew up in the eighties or nineties that that doesn't seem like a ton, but like he's it's like one one ninety three last year. Those are really good. That's in today's game. That's eating a lot of innings. That helps the team in different ways. And you just hope the era is a little bit lower. You get you get to a point where it's a little bit lower, which I expect it will be. The quality of contact stands out to me is like not being that different from years past. I don't think the Blue Jays have a terrible defense. I'm I'm not going to look it up right now, but we know that the Cubs are elite. There's like very few teams that you can compare with the Cubs, uh defensively, and I just expect his ra to to go down and be better as long as he's healthy and the stuff's there. This is a guy that I feel like upgrades the rotation immediately. We'll see whose spot he takes. I assume it's one of ray Or Asad. Cubs are getting Edward Cabrera back, and you know, like we'll see if this is I don't think we'll get into that, but this that that won't be the only move, So this rotation could suddenly feel a lot better. Also, I didn't realize how good they've been of late. I was looking up since like June first, their fifth in rotation. Light like that kind of threw me off. I don't think I realized that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it comes.
Speaker 3: I do rightly spend a lot of time, you know, pointing out how much more pitching they want to get. And you know, I think this whole thing has felt kind of unstable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole season.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just like looking at Osmin's Baseball reference page, just a number, a number four overall pick out of LSU. You know he has the pedigree, Uh, you know, someone who you know, worked through some struggles in Baltimore and bounced around a couple of years before kind of finding himself in San Francisco and then really delivering as a big time free agent in Toronto, and you know, going through I mean the whole Blue Jays nucleus there, went through a lot, and to finally break through and win a pennant and be that close to win a world series.
Speaker 2: I think when you combine that.
Speaker 3: With kind of the pitch mix pitch profile that you're talking about, Sahata, I think this guy like instant, no doubt upgrade over what you have.
Speaker 2: And I think the sense over there is that they're not done yet either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's take a quick break and then we can discuss that.
Speaker 4: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 1: Kratz.
Speaker 5: We love our pupps, we do, and I can't put Belle in a bubble, So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 1: I'll do the next best thing for her, That's right.
Speaker 4: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets, and when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash faul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul again one more time. ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance. It's the summertime, aja, and this is a time to feel free wild, make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month.
Speaker 1: It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 4: All of Mintmobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabytes. Hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage farries see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: Patrick Gay, I don't think we've said this on the podcast. We've had so many texts and different threads that I can't remember what's been said out loud. But I believe I'm seeing again that Kevin Gosman's on, you know, rotation to start Thursday, which would be against the Blue Jays. We'll see if that's if the Cubs stick with that, that's uh that'd be interesting. Uh. I believe who's on schedule for the Cubs is David Peterson. Also a trade acquisition that has worked really well. I want to what is it, five of six starts, six of seven starts. He's been great. He's been a great addition. Uh. When the Cubs were in like desperation mode to fill their rotation. They're not in desperation mode anymore. But I think what we've been talking about for the past few weeks, the indications we've been getting, the way they've played, the way Jet has talked, he's kind of It's not that he doesn't have this all in mentality. He doesn't like that phrase. Uh. And the you know, if not now when THEO line maybe doesn't apply here. But we've heard nothing, but you know, signs have gotten nothing but signs that they want to be aggressive and continue to add. And that's that hasn't changed with adding Gousman like bullpen and rotation still Like I don't know if it's gonna be two more bullpen, one more rotation, one bullpen, get that under control guy that they kind of dream for. But I don't think they're gonna stop. We like, as we record there's like, I'm not gonna do the math, but like twenty two hours or something like that. Less than that twenty hours, So there's gonna be something else maybe by the time you listen to this. But this this front office seems pretty laser focused on upgrading pitching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as well they should be. I mean, this is the team they've built. You know, this is not a Washington National situation where you kind of have a new regime inheriting a lot of players and making a lot of structural or stemach changes. Like this group has been at it for a while. They've had a lot of time to build a playoff team they did last year. This one is on track as well. And I think when you in talking to players, you know, in the clubhouse, on the field, they think they're really, really good, and not just in a way that all teams in spring training think they have a chance. Like you can sort of tell their tone their messaging. Obviously, the results on the field you speak for itself. But they they think they can do it. They think they can beat the Dodgers. That may be crazy. They you know, they may never get the chance. Uh you know, they you know, if they're stuck in the wildcard round and then have to play a tough team the next round, and you're facing the Dodgers in the NLCS.
Speaker 2: We saw what happened to the Brewers last year. I mean, they got swept out of it. They had no chance.
Speaker 3: So I think that's why you gotta load load up the pitching staff here. I think getting Gosmand first freeze you up a little bit. You know, if you do get two really good relievers, you're already looking at a scenario where in the postseason you're probably pushing you know, your your Colin Ray's or David Peterson's to the bullpen anyways to get out you know, certain pockets, as as the manager, uh would say. And you know, schoobl obviously was a big late Saturday night news break. Our colleague John Greenberg asked counsel for his, you know, unfiltered reaction. I think he said something like, I was half asleep and then five minutes later, I was I fell asleep, And so, you know, I think people just kind of assume it's gonna be the Dodgers. But you know, they they have their their framework, and they when they're looking at it rationally, they're like, we still need more like there's not kind of oh, we got this, Like no, you got to keep pushing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you said we saw this in the first half. They kind of saw the first half and that spurred this. And even what spurred this is what they saw in the playoffs. Remember all those conversations, Yeah, we've had, we had during and then after how they felt they were short on pitching. Uh. And then they tried to address it in the offseason and they that first half you know, really kicked them in the butt as far as the injuries went. And and they're addressing it again.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be fat. We'll see. We don't look at this. We can save this for the next podcast, I think, because if they add, especially if they add to the bullpen and end another rotation member like they could be looking, it's gonna be interesting. It's gonna be one of those fun, tough decisions come September. If enough guys get healthy. I don't know, like we can't make any assumptions with health just from what we've seen. I think we've all learned that, but it could be very interesting in a good way for Craig Council. And it's in the front office, like trying to decide, like how do we work this. Uh if guys are healthy, Uh, that's that's a discussion for another day. And we still haven't seen enough moves. The moves aren't done yet. But that's that's the I think that's what they want. They want like these really difficult decisions of like competitions. Yeah, yeah, constant competition doesn't matter if spring training was six months ago or whatever. It's it's not like still you still got to prove yourself. That's in you know, if it's good enough, that's that's a nice situation to be in.
Speaker 2: I think this would.
Speaker 3: Fall under one of Jed Hoyer's like signs of a healthy organization.
Speaker 2: It's being able to be in the deal flow.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the Dodgers are at a whole another level to where we're talking about this in the Wrigley Clubhouse of like they make that trade and yes, they gave up a lot, but it didn't really hurt. And you know, the Cubs are not at that point or the circumstances of this season didn't really motivate them the same way. But they have a lot of young position players, probably not enough room for them and then they're hoping for what you're describing of. You know, if Gosman can maybe bump Boid into a number two starter, number three starter in a flatff rotation, then you have showed up. Maybe Cabrera is not only healthy but shows us something that he hasn't really shown us consistently yet. And then just this wave of relievers coming in over the top. You know, Council talks about Polentcia as he is a healthy pitcher.
Speaker 2: It's just adding.
Speaker 3: Volume, getting back into a rhythm. Compars in that same boat. I think Hobie Milner should be up pretty soon.
Speaker 2: And if you you know, I spoke with Ben Brown. He feels good.
Speaker 3: He's working on a lot of stuff like he's in a pretty good place. We don't know where that where he'll wind up, but it's encouraging. Justin Steele back around the team this weekend. Again, you don't count on him, but they they could have some some really interesting conversations off only we could you know, he could actually hear what they really really think. But you know they'll they'll show us. And you know the idea here too, that Council really stresses you don't have that August waivers period anymore. So like in the next whatever, the countdown was twenty hours or so, like they have to add because you can't really go outside.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of waiver.
Speaker 3: There are some scenarios in which players become available, but it's not the same trading period that we sort of had grown up on when you just kind of trade. I believe that's how Verlander went.
Speaker 2: From Detroit to used to Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 3: You still guys become available, but just not in the same way anymore.
Speaker 2: So you got to do you got to do your work now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so just to before we wrap up and you know, get ready for more trades. Let's let's kind of go over who they are looking at right that we have at least have a decent idea that they're they're casting a wide net. There are probably names that we are unaware of, uh, but the controllable guys are the ones that I think is are is the dream what they really want to shoot for? And I think it they you know, they talk about the future a lot. This is a way to focus on both Redepmers and Jose Soreano from the Angels, and then you know, Seattle sounds like they're willing to move one more guy, whether that's George Kirby or Emerson Hancock. I haven't heard that the Cubs are like in love with Emerson Hancock. I think George Kirby is having like a kind of down season. But I've never like, people love George Kirby around the game, and the Cubs would love to get their hands on George Kirby. He's under control for a couple of years. Uh, those are the controllable guys. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd still go after another rental depending on price. But my guess is someone else is gonna pay a little bit more for the rentals now than what the that's I'm kind of going off history of what I've seen in the past, Like you pay like what's the price for Clay Holmes. Eventually the rental prices kind of go up, as like as we get closer to the deadline. When I say up, it's like someone gets a little bit more desperate because it's like, oh no, all these rentals are gone, Like whoa who are gonna get It's the Cubs do believe they have what it takes to get one of those controllable guys. They believe they have a good enough system. We saw what they like. The bats, It's gonna be bat heavy. If someone wants desperately needs like a no doubt pitcher, I don't think they're going to be able to swing it. And then the relievers. We've gone over a bunch of these guys, but it's it's there's a couple of big names, and I think some I'm not sure if they'll get the big names to be to be honest, I think we may see like an Andrew Kittridge type move, which if that works, it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I liked your idea of you kind of take maybe two or three shots on relievers and hope, you know, one's good one month, one goods the other, and someone's clicks for the playoffs. Like it. Really, this year has really shown us that Jen and those guys were right about the bullpen stuff. They you know, they don't always look great, proving some of those concepts in terms of, you know, players they thought they were counting on and have worked out. And then the under the radar guys who really popped up. But yeah, I'm with you, I think you get a couple more and you just have to counsel and as coaches have done a good job with this stuff of reframing expectations, staying on task, being creative, being open minded, getting buy in. So just give them, give them some more material to work with and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a team worth investing in. They've they've shown it with one with this one move here, we'll see, we expect more that there will probably be more, hopefully none before this is posted. I'll try and get this up to you guys as early on Monday as possible. Uh, but we will be talking about all this soon after the deadline. We'll we'll we'll have another podcast for you guys. Thanks so much for listening. This is Northside Territory. Make sure rate Review, subscribe Vibe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things cubs. Thanks everyone, Take care,