Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 1: Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast. All right, everybody, we are back for another Bunheads recap, Season one, episode four, Better Luck Next Year. Airdate July second, twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Feeling about Bunheads in general, this episode is all right, is good?
Speaker 1: I like this entertaining.
Speaker 2: This is what I think about Bunheads as I'm four episodes in. It's entertaining, and it satisfies, like Gilmore lust. I would say, like, if you're really needing some Gilmore, but you're like, I've watched so much Gilmore. It does satisfy. It's like an appetizer to Gilmore. Right, You're like, it's it satisfies the palette a little bit. It's not up there to par.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree, it's it's good filler, but it does not took me as Gilmore Girls did. I do have one thing that literally makes me want to crawl out of my skin when I watch this show, and it's the fashion, but specifically Michelle always wearing Toms.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just the fashion is not good.
Speaker 1: You know, you know those Tom shoes. I feel like they're the kind of tom with this generation. I had them, so like I I Toms.
Speaker 2: I liked the concept. Are they still around? I liked that they gave a pair every time you buy a pair, exactly like those socks that that sock company does that too, So I like that. But like, oh, I'm not into like Esper drills anymore, and I feel like Tom's are like kind of like Espa drills. Yeah, They're just not gonna get my feet and they support.
Speaker 1: I know I need my hope, a lot of cushions.
Speaker 2: Grandma, Grandma Danielle, and I know.
Speaker 1: I just need something to protect my knees.
Speaker 2: Literally wear Hokah flip flops like they're cool and.
Speaker 1: They're not happy you like them now.
Speaker 2: I made three pairs. You made me buy them.
Speaker 1: Amy. We were stuck in Carmel for something and Amy forgot her walking shoes and we were right by a shoe store and I was like, you have to just buy hokahs.
Speaker 2: You're not cute.
Speaker 1: We was protesting it so hard and like, just put your foot in them. I bet you you're gonna like them.
Speaker 2: And I have not had plant or fascy eis since since I stitched hookahs, and I had to get rid of my croc flip flops and switch to the hokah flip flops. They're not even flip flops. They're like slides, and they're crazy monstrosities. But yeah, I just lean in, lean in, ladies. The heels are so yesterday. We had two, we had three Gilmore spottings and it kind of fun little ones. Brad ellis the piano player always uh. We got Greg Henry back.
Speaker 1: Again, Mitchem yep and Biff Jaeger.
Speaker 2: What was Biff's character in Gilmore Girls? You know, he's like the construction guy. That was a top Thank you so much. So this was the scene though that kind of was cringe tastic. We'll get to it. We'll just go through this real quick for you guys.
Speaker 1: Oxnard.
Speaker 2: First of all, I can't wait to get to the cringey moment. So it's kind of a decent episode. Michelle's got the guest house. There's like she's got tons of crap, which I don't That didn't track for me, Like she had this like tiny apartment in Vegas. Why does she have all this crap? I don't know, And like I just don't know and I feel like you could just call one eight huder. Goot, John can get rid of that crap pretty easy. But I know they're, you know, penny pinching a little bit. But I thought it was totally crazy when when Fanny just bursts into the guest house in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: I know, ignore this because I would going to.
Speaker 2: Say they've gotten over the death way too fast.
Speaker 1: Well that yes, but also, like Fanny is an elderly woman, I like to sleep. I don't know one grandma that does not like to sleep.
Speaker 2: I actually think that is there are some grandmas that barely sleep. Grandma's just sleeping a few hours. I don't know. I would like nine hours, ten and I get like seven, Not that anyone cares, you know, y'all tell us how much you're sleeping. Hopefully you're getting your eight hours. I only got like seven last night, and I kind of want to take a nap right now.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm an early to go down early to rise.
Speaker 2: My problem is, I think what I can't tell that's happening to me right now is am I hungry? Am I thirsty? Am I sleepy? Or do I just have stress? Because I'm a little bit like I'm not feeling great, but it's fine, I'll work it out at the guest house.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: You know. Then we went to the farmer's market with Boo, and here's my critique on this scene. I like the scene. I felt that the acting was not great. I felt like the mom and Boo were reading the script with a lot of lingo in it, and they were not acting it. They were kind of reading it. It just felt a little weird to me. Although the farmer's Market looked good and there were some yummy things, I'm not told. Look, the body image stuff is tough in this because you want to be like it's just like you're sort of like, I get it. It's it's you have to address it. The show's about ballet, but it's just rough. It's just like, let this girl.
Speaker 1: I know her, like going into the fridge and getting broccoli and then see the king and you know it's Yeah, that was tough to watch. And also the noting that every time Boo had to put on a different wig or a different outfael or whatever for the audition, and it's you know, Fanny was saying, Oh, it's because she's larger than all the other.
Speaker 2: Girls, which I also appreciated because it's addressed right, Like Fanny addressed it in a way where she was like, they will see her if she keeps going back in, meaning see you know, like the deeper see her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of it's a storyline that I actually was like, oh, this is a conversation I want to have. But also it's a little bit like, oh no, do I want to happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, oh no. But I think the moral of it was that a lot of you know, people who are good at their craft but may not be the cookie cutter version of that craft, you know, like the dancer with the beautiful long limbs and you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think even the twelve years since this was made, it would be done differently now. Yeah, but I actually like that they don't just go over it. It's like it's really on the right half.
Speaker 1: I think I liked that scene that the because Fanny was in you know, no, no, no, no, you are going to get seen right Yeah, the cake and the broccoli. That kind of lost me. I'm not gonna lie, but.
Speaker 2: The mom got the cake already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's tough.
Speaker 2: I also had full agita because the fridge was hot and the gas stove and sun and that just made me so uncomfortable. I did laugh a little bit in the scene where Emily Emily see this is gonna happen the whole time, just like let us where Fanny wakes her up and she's hung like towels over the window because she doesn't have the curtain of Yeah. So I was like, there was some little details that I.
Speaker 1: Thought really good like her, like with the rod shaking all the time, that was the fakest. It's like, it's not a million pounds. You don't have to like struggle.
Speaker 2: Like a bar bell, right, and it's like it doesn't wiggle the life that. There was a bunch of things on that that I'm like, really and also truly, I thought, truly on the clothing store, she's sort of the kirk of this because suddenly.
Speaker 1: She oh my god, I wrote that down is truly the kirk. You're so right.
Speaker 2: Did you think it was weird? Like I thought the scene of her in her underwear was like a little weird.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, it wasn't my favorite.
Speaker 2: It was like a little bit like, do we just need to see how like cat Skinny. I don't know. I was like, what are we doing? And then it's a little funny that she bumps into the students. Yet I'm like, there's no point to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no point to it other than she needs to hang up the rod.
Speaker 2: Just there was no point to it other than to see how tall sutt and Foster is.
Speaker 3: Yeaheah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was weird. Uh, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of ballet, I will say the book. Since we were talking about Truly, I do genuinely like Trulli's character. I think Truly and Fanny, which is Emily Akadi. Yeah, those two characters are what's doing it for me and keeping me in.
Speaker 2: I'm in for Sasha too. I really like the girls, and I think that was another problem with this episode. We only had Boo and Sasha where the other main girls. Yes there were ballet girls, but the other two sort of main girls were not in it, which I thought was super weird considering it was the auditions for the Jeoffrey. But maybe they did an audition. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Sasha for a second, because I feel like we're finally seeing a different side of her. That's actually who she is versus a front that she puts up.
Speaker 2: Right, She's got this chip on her shoulder and she's real prickly, but yet she's super kind and stole the money to buy the toe shoes. Yeah, here's my problem with Greg Henry. The makeup is tough for me. It's almost like they splotched dirt on his face. Like it's just weird.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's supposed to be like a grimy dude. Though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the scene was a little bit weird and a little bit funny where they're like ordering the sandwiches and it's just kind of weird and like he doesn't want to have this restaurant open, and it's just sort of like it's very quirky characters of Stars Hollow, but yet they're not totally nailing it. It's like a little off. But everything. Look, this show is really good. It's just it's a little bit off from Gilmour Girls. Yeah, and then the whole like they've sent a fox.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you it's because there's no like that cell phones. Then there's no Graham, there's no little Guy, there's no Rosa and Boo are supposed to be Rory.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, the whole facts bit and the cold canceling if we don't fix the floors and then look, the cringey scene for me was that she went into the hardware store and tried to like flirt to get the floors done. And it was a little funny against an easy bit funny and a lot of cringe.
Speaker 1: For me, I was like, it was funny with one guy, and then she did it again, so they should have just stopped it after that. Although I do love that Emily was able to swindle guy.
Speaker 2: The other guy smart, right smart, and they go in the weird car. There's just so much sort of like there's a lot of like filler, filler, filler whatever. Truly, you know, she makes the curtains, truly's got a bunch of jobs. She gives a little background. Oh there's a great Jason Priestley shout out, which was yeah, yeah, fun we you know, Boo gets the shoes, the whole thing, and then we have the auditions. You know, all is kind of right in the world. Did it have a cliffhanger like it didn't.
Speaker 1: No, just just that the Jeoffrey auditions happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Boo doesn't get it.
Speaker 1: Boo doesn't get it, but she seems like she's all right.
Speaker 2: Kind of getting placement on where the town is because it's obviously so close to Oxnard and OHI for me it was more normal.
Speaker 1: It was funny that they were trying to who was it. Emily was trying to say, like, oh, hi was the grossest place when we all know, yeah, is the most beautiful place in.
Speaker 2: The entire roh. I know.
Speaker 1: I found that actually kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like move the auditions to OHI like that's, I know, pretty great. Oh you know what another sort of like cringey yet knock cringey is is Michelle's dance audition dream for Gary Jeannetti.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I think I purged that from my brain. You are so bright. That was bad. That was bad.
Speaker 2: Button Foster. She's a huge Broadway star, but like it's a little Broadway ish in Gilmore Girls, you know, so in Bunheads, like the whole like it's a lot of yells, hayms and like me and my shot out, you know whatever she's singing and you're just like a why, uncomfortable, what's happening? And just alone it's just like, oh, I don't know, it feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did feel weird. I guess that's the cliffinger is she has this dream and then at the end of the dream she gets the cake that Boo Boo's parents got her or mom got her. That says better luck next year, not even.
Speaker 2: One two of the sort of numbers, and like, I get it. She's so talented. She's like, probably want a tony I don't know, but like for me, I was just like, er, I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: You guys to be the a hole that brings that just has to say it this suthing Foster doesn't do it for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: She did not do it. Even when I watched this the original time, something was always off with her that she right sides. In younger, she's a lot better in younger. There's still some sort of like cringed tastic moments, but she's a lot better in younger, And I think maybe it's just because this is her first TV show, Like she is sort of a stage actress, and I think that's why you get the over the top ness so much where you're like down by that girl be Rory, like Alexis Bladell is so understated that I think you want to get Sutton. Foster is a lot of jazz hands, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of jazz hands, a lot of boxnards.
Speaker 2: A lot of yeah, you know, it's very me.
Speaker 1: The series is still young. Yeah, I think she can turn around for me.
Speaker 2: The breakout of Sasha because she's crazy and she goes on to do I think the affair. She's really good in that. I think that's these all have gone on, uh to do other things that are quite good. But yeah, do we rate this? I don't even remember. Do we rate this?
Speaker 1: We did we do? I'll say seven out of ten.
Speaker 3: Broken wood floor planks, okay, okay, uh six and a half better like Next Time Cakes. Yeah, yeah, I think it gets better.
Speaker 2: I think the first two are really good. We've had two that are kind of and I do think it picks up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'm here for the you know, I'm here for the show, guys, I'll be watching in every episode.
Speaker 2: How do we end this? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Bun Heads out, butt Heads out, all right, guys, bun heads out, Hey, everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.