Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Right with Nick right as promised a special bonus episode one of our now very few two time guests, our Boxing and Gambling and Poker correspondent. But in this episode we are going to focus exclusively on the boxing piece of it for and tell me if I'm wrong, not just fight of the year, but arguably the fight of the decade the last few years. At the very least, it is Poker Hall of Famer and for my money, the sharpest of the boxing sharps Nick Shulman, Nick, great to see you, Fight of the year, fight of the decade. How excited are you for Canelo Crawford?
Speaker 2: So excited? Great to be here. Every time football comes back, it's like I sort of remember what a big sort of deal you are, you know, so I really appreciate this crazy because you're my boy. You know, I'm kind of just poker in the fights. But whenever it come like, oh yeah, you know, I'm very honored to be here, and well I know how hard you work. So thank you, sir, Thank you brother.
Speaker 1: We have been listen. If people didn't see your last appearance, I'm gonna give a quick recap of it. So Nick told us many Pakiao can win that fight. Yeah, throw the shades on. Nick said, many Pakiao can win the fight, and Nick got Packiau at plus four hundred correct four to ten, but fo ten okay, no, no, I'm not changing I'm not going to short change you ten cents. He went off at two to one plus one ninety plus two hundred something. You got a great number. You were at the fight with six seats, and I don't think in the moment realized the gravity of how bad you got scammed in that fight.
Speaker 2: I realized he was minus eight hundred on Penny Live after that the tenth rounds. Yeah, but so.
Speaker 1: Any somehow that fight ended up being a majority draw, which is just as painful as it gets. And but you were definitively on the right side of it. And now, to be fair also, and here's the thing, I love boxing, but I love boxing the way some of the professional poker world loves, you know, like the EPL where they watch it and they bet it. But if you asked him to take like a hundred question tests, they wouldn't do great on it. And so I can't speak with real authority, which is why I bring you on. But you really liked some an undercard, and so I was like, listen, this was the one. I forget who it was, but he wasn't want to. I don't want you to tell me because it'll spoil the story. And so I bet it. I was like, yeah, Nick likes it. I bet it. I and I was rolling with you. And then we turned the fight on and I I see the guy that I bet against is six eight one fifty. I text you and I'm like, yo, we got like a foot and a half height difference, and you just sext me back. They don't call him the Towering Inferno for nothing that our guys just couldn't lay in the shot.
Speaker 2: But well, yeah, go ahead, no no, I mean no, please.
Speaker 1: So but during that preview of the Pacquia fight, we talked to little Canelo Crawford. You gave away Ivy's gambling position. We talked about this, the magnitude of this fight, and we said we were gonna do this again. So I am now, and I'm also gonna say one more thing and then we're really I'm gonna see most of the floor to you because I do this. And by the way, people are watching as Nick drink some wine, I have one rule for the podcast. If I am doing doing broadcasting after six pm Eastern, I'm drinking during it. This is we are taping this on a Wednesday night. My friend will yeah, thank you. It will post sometime. I think either Thursday or Friday. Set you up for the fight. But I'm doing this for three reasons. One is, it's the fight of the year and it needs to be covered. Another is I love the idea of boxing becoming super mainstream again. And and I want to help however I can, because at its core, there is something just human about wanting to watch two grown men stand in the center of a ring and see who wins comes out and Third, and this is the part that Nick may or may not appreciate. I happen to truly believe that Nick Shulman's boxing knowledge t plus his broadcasting chops would make help make boxing more mainstream if he was a part of some boxing broadcasts. So this is my entry point to pushing him in that direction. So I am going to essentially interview you as if I know nothing about the fight, even though I know at least a little bit about the fight. So the story going in for the undefeated Terrence Crawford against the legend Canelo Alvarez. Is that he is jumping what from one fifty four to one sixty eight? How set the table for how he even got to one fifty four? He being Crawford and is that the story of the fight.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, aside from them both being all time greats, that's absolutely the main focal point here. A weight jump of this magnitude is quite rare. You've seen guys move up the ranks. You've seen pac Yao beat bigger guys. Roy Jones Junior, nobody thought he'd ever be fighting at light heavyweight heavyweight. He was up there doing crazy things. Sugar Ray Leonard beating Marvin Hagler is the one that everybody really talks about. Nobody gave Ray Leonard a chance in that fight, and he went in there and boxed. You know, he did his thing. But yeah, to move up two way classes like this is somewhat unprecedented in the modern era.
Speaker 1: Why is he doing it?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting. You know when they first announced the fight, I will admit I was thinking, Wow, they made Terrence an offer that he can't refuse to lock up generational wealth for his family. But This is wild that the number one pound four pound guy has to go up multiple divisions to fight, you know, the one of the best guys at that weight. Perhaps Canelo's slipping a little bit, but that was just my knee jerk. And even Terrence said himself in an interview that he feels his ceiling is one fifty four. He said that fairly recently, So I'm like, I gotta take him at his word. But now that things have come to a head and the pre fight has happened and everything, I think he believes he will win. I think his team believes he'll win, and I believe he'll win.
Speaker 1: So the and we'll listen. The market is not If the I don't listen, you get a sharper price, probably than most would. And you've been looking at this for months. But as we sit here today, it's right around minus one fifty five, minus one thirty five or plus one thirty five, Like is that where I don't know what I was seeing?
Speaker 2: More like one eighty one sixty.
Speaker 1: All right, So then I listen. So he I mean, with Canelo being the favorite, the point I sew Canello is the favorite, but he is not a overwhelming favorite. He's not even that substantial of a favorite for our if if it is minus if it is minus one eighty, uh, just to give context for that, for our you know, football fans out there, that is the same as the Packers money line when they're a three point favorite against the Commanders for Thursday Night football, like minus one eighty is. Though those upsets happen all the time, so the so is it fair to say this? The boxing world believes Terrence Crawford's the better fighter at this point than Canelo Alvarez, But because of the weight change, that is what's tilting the scale. Not that people think Canelo and this is unfair, but is purely a better fighter.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so interesting, Nick, It's like every take you hear, for the most part, Canelo's too big, he's too strong. If you talk to the public, that's what everybody thinks. And there's a few takes from trainers to that really kind of bothered me. Joel Diaz and Abel Sanchez come to mind. They're just saying, like Crawford's got no shot. Love him, but you know he can't do anything to Canelo. I'll take you back to the last time I bet against Crawford. It was twenty sixteen. I was playing the World Series of Poker and I was playing with Ivy. I was just playing cash. But uh, and once again just qualifier. I'm not a tout. You know, I'm gonna black out and go nuts and give all my picks and plays. But just so you guys know, you know, protect yourself at all times in the betting. But Ivy said, you know you like the fights, right Nick, you want to go to night see Budd? I said absolutely, So he slid me a ticket and he was fighting Victor post All and he was something like minus six hundred. I got somewhere around six to one on post All. Rangy, good Japs, smart, Eastern European. I'm always high up on the Eastern Europeans in general because they tend to be quite humble, pragmatic. You know, maybe a little bit of that's from poker, but also in boxing, they're a little bit slept on. In America. Sometimes this is a popularity contest. These guys can really fight.
Speaker 1: I don't want to interrupt. The story is who's the favorite in this?
Speaker 2: Going back to twenty sixteen, Crawford was a six to one favorite.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Crawford was minus six hundred. YEA bet the dog, you bet, I've got the dog, got it, go ahead, so keep going.
Speaker 2: I pulled up to the arena, and, you know, much to my pleasure, I realized I had the best seat in the house and I was alone for four rounds as Crawford was getting his shit off switching stances. I knew he was great, but this was like something really special and the camaraderie with his team and everything. Ivy pulled up middle of the fourth round and spent the entire fight on his phone betting basketball, you know, just eight seven and a half, not eight right, texting, you know. Every once in a while he'd like pop up and come with like a yes sir, you know, but then right back to work. So finally in the ninth round, I said, by the way, Phil, uh, do you have a sat Did you bet this fight? He said, oh, this fight? Uh, I have Crawford, Nick, But you never know, it's boxing. Anything can happen. He got this smug kind of smile, you know in a Bronx taill when when when mush bet the horse and Palmentary rips up the tick, That's what it felt like. I was like, okay, right, And a lot of people don't know this, but ever since then, I've I've actually been business partners with Bud. And the business plan, yeah, it's it's crazy. And the business plan it's a really simple one. He goes out there and fights and I bet on him every single fucking time. And guess what, nick business has been booming. Why would I switch up on my man? Now you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So this is so, this is what I want and listen, die hard boxing fans.
Speaker 2: And by the way, sorry to cut you off, but after post all he rattled off eleven straight stoppages. They call his resume to question. But he beat Jeff Horn, who was undefeated at the time, who beat Pacyao. He beat David Benavitez, his brother in a in a fight where he didn't really engage, and then he found just a gorgeous stoppage. He beat a mere Khan, he beat kel Brooke. We'll get into it, but but he beat the mean machine kaval Yawskis, who's great. Please just sorry, go.
Speaker 1: On, no, no, no, so you got you got exactly where I was going. And I promise for Canelo fans, we're gonna get there. But I want what really perked my ears up about this is when we were talking about this a month ago and you said, Ivy, and now I'm gonna sidebar it real quick. I have. This is a weird thing about the way I'm wired because of the industry that I'm in and the people I've been around, because of the industry that I'm in versus poker and the poker world, I have been lucky enough to I mean, I guess I can say this because it was public. It was I didn't talk about it, but it was all over the internet. A few months ago, I'm in a Grizzlies game and at the Grizzlies Lakers and at the end of the game, Lebron James comes over hugs My wife tells her it's great to see her. DAPs me up and like and I was, as you know, as Leonardo DiCaprio would say in The Departed, My hand didn't shake like that felt. It didn't feel normal, but like it was. It wasn't like a as big of a thing as I think people would assume. Here Friday night, I'm going to Kansas City to do our first things, first show, but then after the show, Patrick Mahomes Steakhouse. This is grand opening, and I'll probably get to spend some time with Patrick, who I've become I consider a friend. That's not like I'm I'm not saying that for any reason other than like to set the table for what I'm about to say. With that said, about three months ago, I was in Vegas at the World Series with Jared Blesnik and Blez is like, hey, you know what I was with Blez. But it wasn't Bleaz who did this. It was Nacho Barbero, legendary Nacho. I see him as for poor people. And Nacho says to me, have you ever met Ivy? And I'm like, no, I actually it, And Nacho says he's like, oh, you have to meet Ivy. And in that moment, my heart raced like I was a child, like my nerves of the situation. It was so unlike anything that's happened to me as an adult, because if you don't run in those circles and you're a poker fan or gambling fan, he is Lebron Mahomes whatever you want, like this legendary, large in life figure. Which is why I say all that to say this when you said that Ivy thinks Bud might be the best ever pound for pound, the best ever, I was like, holy shit, that's not gonna be a comment that's thrown around loosely. So my question is I know he's won of all these fights. What has happened over the last decade that is there a moment? Is there a sequence of moments? What is the evidence or the reasoning someone would believe that? Reminder about our friends, our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Everybody knows and loves the hard Rock hotels and casinos, and now you can use the top rated hard Rock Bet sportsbook to place your bets all NFL season and beyond. Hard Rock Bet is the only legal sportsbook in the state of Florida, the only one in Florida, and it's also available in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, and Colorado, with more states launching all the time. You can also play on hard Rock Bets online casino if you are in New Jersey. Throughout the football season, we'll be using hard Rock Bet lines to make our predictions for the biggest games. As we gear up for the NFL season, sign up for hard Rock Bet. Make a five dollar bet and you'll get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if you win. Head over to hard Rock Bet and sign up to make your first deposit today payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight, admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and you know that was indeed a profound sentiment from IV. My favorite Bud moments in no particular order, Number one, the Kelbrook stoppage. Now you can say what you want about where Brooke was at his career. It was at in his career. But and I've ran this back hundreds of times, and I'm not saying that to sound deep. I just he landed the shortest little right hand. They're both on the inside, kind of like right on top of each other, and they punch at the same time. As the legendary Connor McGregor once said, timing beats speed, and precision beats power. But it shocked Brook to where he kind of didn't know where he was. And if you go watch it for people that haven't seen it, it's the knockdown before the stoppage for the official stoppage. That's one. Another one was Jose Benavitez Junior comes to town, comes to Omaha, Nebraska or abut Is from starts going to the barbershop, starts talking, starts talking crazy, right, but then he gets out there and fights really not to win, big respect to Jose and the whole family, but he's kind of on the back foot. It's hard to look great against these guys who don't really engage. He's just kind of jabbing, moving, shaking his head. Nope, And somehow, some way Bud found him in the twelfth round and put him out with a crazy upper cut sequence. Wild stuff. And again, do I think Canelo would have beaten kel Brook and Jose Benavitez Junior? Yes, I do, So you know we're not overlooking the task at hand. Another one was the Sean Porter stoppage. And there's a clip that any boxing fan knows, but it's going into the eleventh round. I believe maybe the tenth. I believe the eleventh Bud's corner says, we think he might be up on the cards. He wasn't, by the way Porter that is, and Bud. Bud looked really surprised, and he said he's up, and they said, you know, we think he might be up, and he said it again. He kind of said how and he looked at another member of his corner and he said he's up, and they said, Bud, it's time to go. Got him right out next round and it was an amazing sequence. He sort of faked a left upper cut then let it go. It was like really beautiful boxing, sublime skills. There was one knockdown. Reporter was genuinely, you know, shocked on the canvas. He looked at his corner, then he got up. Then there was another knockdown where they had a wild exchange in the center of the ring. That's where Porter started punching the canvas. It was a very kind of poignant moment. I guess you know, he fought his ass off. He's a legend, but it was just kind of like and his dad threw the toweling Kenny Porter in the corner. Did David Avenisian knockout in the center of the ring, a fairly unsung fighter, but again, this is an incredible display of power from in Cloak. They were off the clinch and he put him out close cold in the middle of the ring. This is when he went to another promotion BK Prime or whatever. It was a little bit odd, but that one was shocking. And of course Nick the aerrol Spence win in its entirety, but especially the little right uppercut he landed off the ropes in the seventh or eighth round. That's a shot where when you watch it you don't know what happened. Spence just went down. You have to run it back to see how crisp the timing was. This guy's throwing shots. When you think about throwing something, it's not the timing is impeccable, all right, I mean that was This is crazy. Shit going on with this guy is when all time great and people are so sleep like the bud disrespect has gotten wild. And listen, I will eat all these words if Canelo pieces them up and it's just another day at the office. But it's not gonna be. He might not be able to win or overcome the weight. But these guys that are acting like this isn't a generational talent who's already unified two divisions and jumping up two more to go for a third. What are we doing here? Okay, so a few things.
Speaker 1: Here that That's why I that Nick Shulman needs to be on these broadcasts.
Speaker 2: Any fight fan. There's millions of fight fans out there who can rattle off all those highlights too. But I love you, brother, thank you. I'm not trying to.
Speaker 1: I know I make you uncomfortable, But the point I'm making is, you're right. A lot of people, there's a lot of fucking people, bro, who know all the stats. I know, but I I'm I am, I am aware, but they can't deliver it the way I can. That was That was awesome. Here's my question before we go to the Canelo's side of things. It's actually a two part of the first one. Is this because I'm gonna show my own ignorant. Is it fair to say Madromov is not like a great fighter?
Speaker 2: No, No, that's unfair. Actually, okay, he is a great fighter, and I feel really sorry for whoever has to fight that kid off back to back losses to Crawford and Virgil Ortiz. That's the same Madromov who was a heralded amateur who Dimitri Beeval brought into camp to prepare for Canelo. And let me tell you something, nobody's gonna look good versus that guy. You might get the job done, but no one's gonna do that guy. Like so people love talking about that performance, like bud By the way bud pieced him up and clearly won and had to wait for Turkey Ala Sheik getting into the California Hall of Fame, eight different concerts, Strobe lights, a smoke show. It was a crazy delayed event. No problem. The game is the game. But let's not acct like he went out there and looked bad. I really that's not.
Speaker 1: Even that's not even why I was asking. And it's kind of why I was asking, But here was the point. So Madramov is a great fighter. He you know, back to back, tough, elite. He's very good. Very is reserved for Okay. Sure, but he's he's not a he's not a walkover. That's a real fight. But here is okay. Regardless of that, I'm just looking at timeline since the Spence fight, that's July of twenty three, Bud has fought Madromov and now he fights Canelo in that same time frame, I mean, Canelo has fought fought four has had four fights. Now. I guess there's two ways to look at that. One is Bud should be fresh and healthy and clean. But how much is it the fact that Canelo is just in the mix so much more, including fighting one of the Charlow brothers like you know, and fighting all of these unanimous decisions it's going the distance, Like, how much does that play into what what we could see Saturday night.
Speaker 2: It's a great point. It's very pertinent. Inactivity is an issue. But for a guy like this who not only lives in the gym, everybody that's been around this guy attests to that that's his happy place, that's where he relaxes in the gym. So this is a year round guy, much like a Mayweather who you know, unretired. And we saw what he did to Juan Manuel Marquez where people were thinking, we don't know. I think it was a fifteen month layoff, and you know, his boxing skills were just on full display. And also another thing about Bud, this guy's team is to me really special, starting with Bowmack, Brian McIntyre. He just seems so humble and so don't make it about me. And he said something that I thought was really beautiful. Terrence actually said this in an interview that when you know, he strolled into the gym as a kid and has never switched up same team. But as he was rising through the ranks, he went somewhere I don't remember where, but there there were other trainers there. I don't know if it was Olympic Trials or Golden Glove. I don't know what it was, but he said, Bomack said to him, listen, any exercises you pick up over there, any tactics, any new wrinkles to your game, you know, bring him back to the gym. Teach him to me because I'm still learning on the job, and he says it to this day. They're always trying to add little things to their game. Isau Dieguez another guy in his corner, wonderful story. Came from Guatemala, tried to make a better life for himself, tried to make it as a pro, struggle to get fights, had a little losing streak. He was in Cali, went to Omaha, met Brian McIntyre, Bomack, They struggled. It was, you know, the grind was real. And then in walked fourteen year old Bud Crawford. And there's another guy in his team, Red Spikes. And again you can see interviews with all these guys. They're never there's no ego there. These are students of the game. So inactivity is an issue for me more for the guys who they're in camp, they fight and then they're partying, or then they're on vacation. A lot of boxers, because it's a vicious sport in life happens, you know, like it's we're human beings, end of the day. But this guy has wanted to be a world champion since he was a kid, and he's been unwavering in this pursuit. That's real you know that that's real life and he's coming. So I don't think it matters that much here, but it's it is an issue.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's talk Canelo before we get to how the fight. I mean, it's obvious you know what side you're going, but how the fight you see it playing out? Specifically, because Canelo's a legend in his own right and Canelo is the guy who is going to be I think it's fair to say more comfortable, not because Bud's not used to spotlight, but because Canelo is not the one having to change weight glasses. What again, I'm gonna go, as I was saying before, die hard boxing fans are gonna love this either way. So for the casual fans, how did Canelo Alvarez become Canelo Alvarez? Like? Why is he a legend?
Speaker 2: So Canelo, Hi, sweetheart, Hi baby.
Speaker 1: She can definitely stop by. Both of my daughters have co hosts.
Speaker 2: You want to she wants to goodness, you want to come say high for one second? Baby on anything?
Speaker 1: Okay, well well then don't.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm on CV right now. You know what I mean. I love you so much, mama, All right, Uh, Canelo Canelo has been a superstar, uh for a long time, just just just has it. But he turned pro at fifteen, you know, which is insane. Obviously, he has the looks, he has the charm, and he's an unbelievable fighter who's fought everybody. His style is so cool. He's like he's become a pressure sort of power puncher. But he used to be a slick boxer, kind of incorporating all the elements. But this guy's put on major fights now for fifteen years and he's a global superstar. He's an icon, you know, I don't I mean, we could run through all his moments. No, no, you know, we don't.
Speaker 1: Have to do that. But is there what is the is there? Is it legitimate to worry that he's obvious? Well, again, tell me if I'm saying, yeah, please, it's fair to say. I think clearly he's not in his prime at this point? Is it fair? And tell if you disagree, tell me is it fair to say? The question is how far down from his prime he is? And if you had to answer that question, like where would you put him?
Speaker 2: You know, it's a little bit tricky for me. I think about when he fought John Ryder, I think in Mexico City. Now is the first time I ever watched, and I said, man, you know, he looks a little bit stuck in the mudd. He looks just a little bit slower. But he keeps beating guys outside of BEV Hall. And one thing I'll say, I do think sometimes he will do just enough. Now, when he fought Charlow, Charlo wasn't really engaging. If we're racking up the rounds, getting out of their unscathed and home to our families. You know, I'm talking like I'm in there, but like what you like, you can't really fault him for that. When he fought Edgar Berlanga, he had a really sweet knockdown, caught him with the left hook. It was like the shot came out of nowhere fast. But then he just sort of he gassed a little. He did his thing, you know what I mean, one one, eighteen one ten. And still when he fought what's the guy's name, how Mungbia himI Mungbi Yeah again, Yeah, it's kind of like you felt like he could get the stoppage. Mungia then lost to an Italian dude with a job. I think the guy is like a teacher or a soccer coach, like something like a nine to five nick and it's kind of like, Okay, that didn't age particularly well, but he got the job. And his last outing against William Skull, he was struggling to sort of cut the ring off. Listen, He's in Saudi Arabia, and again he took no damage. He came out of there with a win. But to answer your question, he doesn't look like prime Canelo to me, but he's very intelligent. He interviews. Every time I sleep on him. I find everything he's saying is very smart and sharp and calculated. And you know, I believe he will be prepared to the utmost for this fight. And I don't think he's sleeping on Crawford. But yeah, I wonder after sixty five professional fights, sixty seven, you know, you never know. I mean, father Time is undefeated.
Speaker 1: Well, what's weird is Crawford's older. Crawford's like older but younger, way exactly right, That's what I was gonna say it. Crawford is older biologically, but seems to be the younger as a fighter. And I think that's and again maybe that's too simplistic. That's my view of it. I what is the Are they splitting two hundred million?
Speaker 2: I would have to think, uh Saoul is getting a little bit more, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't mean even split. But I'm saying, like the purse doesn't have this exactly right. I figured you might like, is it is it realistic that Canelo could be getting a hundred million and Bud could be getting fifty million respectively minimum for this fight.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because we're in unprecedented times where this guy Turkey Alaschik has come in with you know, uh big paper from Saudi Arabia, and he genuinely loves the sport. And you know what, I was hating on him a little bit in the big and there's some things that I still found a little bit unsettling. But end of the day, he is putting on immaculate fights and shows and there does seem to be some integrity there as far as let's give the people what they want to see, and you know, hopefully the judging and so on and so forth is as legit as we can hope. For now, we have Dana White in there promoting his first fight. He's in there.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't.
Speaker 2: Love that I don't really love it either, And I know I heard something today that he's that they're not allowing these guys from the sanctioning bodies. You know, the WBA, WBO, IBC. You always get chills when you when they start rattling off the eighty belts, like he's the former unified WBA, like, but now I'm here in white, is not allowing Mauricio Suliman into the ring. Mauricio is a you know, a Mexican running one of the sanctioning but I don't know, it's all getting messy and strange, and I don't I kind of like the hood element of boxing, but something that when I say hood, I just mean, you know, yeah, the streets are involved in this sport, but I want it to be fair. But some polymolognology brought up a great point that having multiple world titles gives more contenders a shot. You know, if you only have one belt, it's very very hard to ever contend for it, but when you have multiple, then figure it out. For for a unified undisputed champion. It kind of has some flavor the four belt era. You know, I don't hate it, but anyway, it's complicated, Nick, I don't know what they're making, but it's a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: It's it's a lot, lot and it is again I'm gonna I'm throwing stuff at you.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about.
Speaker 1: But I if I were to say, in the last decade ish the biggest fights that you can count on one hand are what I think, it's pretty definitive. This is one of them. But it's like, like, what are this is in line with? You know, give me a couple other fights as far as the anticipation, not necessarily perse but all of it that goes into it. This is equivalent or bigger or similar to gimme a couple all right. Ever, sign up for a phone plan thinking wow, amazing price, and a few months later, surprise your bills higher. Boost Mobile. You've made twenty dollars a month forever unlimited talk, text and data starting at just twenty dollars a month, no price hikes, no contract forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local boost store today and get unlimited talk, text, and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five g speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigs, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will be twenty dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan.
Speaker 2: I mean Mayweather Paco. So it's interesting from a purest standpoint, again, not to be potential, That's what I mean. That's what I'm asking, you know what I mean, Like, from a purest standpoint, this is this right, from a purest standpoint, this is up there with anything that I think any boxing fan can recall in quite a while.
Speaker 1: So that's where I was asking.
Speaker 2: So like when we but even person wise, they're saying this is there's Mayweather pack you Mayweather McGregor, and then this as far as Gate and everything I've heard that you know, you never know what's real and what's not. But this is up there with Tyson, with Tyson Holyfield, This is up there with uh uh Canelo Floyd. This is up there with Canelo Triple G one, which Canelo lost, by the way, gifted a draw. Then this is up there with Canelo Triple G two, which he lost again. He he outperformed expectation. Did he back triple g up for the first time in his career? Yes? Was he was? He swaggy with it and his hands were low and he's shaking his head. Nope and exchanging with one of the scariest punchers in the history of boxing. Yes. Do I feel he lost seven rounds? Absolutely, but you know it is what it is. Did you know, Nick, you just could tell you could feel the residual anger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does feel like there's at least a touch of bitterness.
Speaker 2: Mayweather de la Joya when Mayweather came out not only with fifty cent but the Mexican colored robe and the sombrero. You know, yeah, this is up there with these moments. And let's of course not forget some of the show's packing out put on and I mean, you know, oo sick fury like there have been some huge fights. This is up there with any of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna ask if Canelo wins, it looks like what If Crawford wins, it looks like what? And I was going to have my third question, b and you think it's going to look like what? But I think my second and third question the answers are the same. But if Canelo wins it, how does it play out?
Speaker 2: So I could see Canelo winning with sublime skills and reminding everybody what time it is. And if you were asleep on him, that was your mistake. And he's still Canelo and this and that. Could he hurt and stop Terrence Crawford? I guess, man, I guess it's possible. You know, I don't see it, but he is the smaller man, not in a literal sense. He actually has a longer reach, and he's a little bit taller, but Canelo's beefier, he's thicker, he has a bigger frame, and he's more naturally filled out at this weight, and he's been in there with some huge punchers and he seems very very hard to hurt all time. Chin. I could see Canelo, I suppose backing Bud down and just wailing on him with huge shots and showing his craftiness and either just winning a somewhat clear decision where budd Is is wounded in there at some point and it just that's how it shakes out, or I guess even getting the stoppage if Bud wins hold.
Speaker 1: On real quick. I want to stop you real quick, if some and again, I want to make this incredibly clear. It is very important to Nick that nobody think he's trying to be a tout. As he made it clear. Oh, it's the opposite, very important to me, right, it is very important and to me that I want to respect Nick's wishes that he is not a tout and he is not trying to be, while also I want to get his picks. So it's a bit of a yeah, the audience understand. So I am the one presenting this. If someone were going it sounds to me that if someone's like, I'm fucking betting Canelo, would you like betting him to win by decision would.
Speaker 2: Be the way you would bet it, you know something generally not even no, No, it's a great, No, it's a great it's a great question. I mean you have to shop around, you know, there are so many different outs and bookies and legal accounts and ways to get down. So number one, I would say, look for the best price. If you think Canel is gonna win by decision, try to shop around. Maybe you get uh, I don't know what that is. That feels like it's probably like that might even be a small dog because the knockout is on the table as well, or maybe it's pick him ish, but.
Speaker 1: I'm looking it up. So our lines, yeah, I agree with Nick. Our lines are provided by our friends at hard Rock Bet. But the I think it's like plus one twenty five.
Speaker 2: There you go. So what I was going to say. And you know, I don't know if hard Rock bet will appreciate this, but generally those props, they the bookies and the geniuses they hire in the back office kind of know how to present a problem that's hard to solve. You can find value in props.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of my biggest wins ever was a UFC fight where I bet a guy would win by sub like plus twenty eight hundred. It was glorious.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm on a huge UFC rip, but it doesn't wow. You know. It's about time.
Speaker 1: It's about time, and on a hard rock bet. Here here's just what it is. If you want to bet Canelo. Canelo's straight to win is minus one sixty five. Canelo by knockout, technical knockout ordqu is plus three point fifty. Canelo by decision is plus one thirty. So that's Look, there's a lot of as you have.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of fans out there who've watched all his fights, and a lot of people watching this now. You know, I get that boxing isn't your main thing, but you know you you definitely have a lot of boxing heads out there. So it's really hard to say if you feel the size imposition will be so dramatic for Bud to handle, you know, bet him to win by knockout. I think Terrence is going to take his time, find his openings and beat the brakes off him with respect and love to anybody that steps in the ring. And I think Bud is live for the stoppage, which is something like ten to one. No one thinks it's possible. I do. I think he could land something that Canelo does not see, shock him from the head down to the toes, hit him with something crazy, and I really do believe that that Terrence is live to stop Canelo. But the most likely situation I see in my heart. And obviously I'm a super fan of Terrance. Obviously I'm biased. I love this guy. I can't see you know what I mean. Like, I'm a huge fan, so it you gotta be careful betting with your heart. And like I said, that wasn't a joke. You know, combat sports is different than team sports. Sure, maybe you bet the Chiefs every game because you love the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: No, I actually don't. I just will never bet against them.
Speaker 2: You'll never bet against them. Cool for me with Bud, though, Like, this wasn't a This isn't a joke. Like I at some point my brain switched on to I'm just never betting against this guy. No, it's not the most sophisticated theory, but I've believed for a long time that he's the best guy in the world. So you know, it all leads to this moment. But it's very interesting and the betting market, if I can, if I may the market for this, and I wonder how often you think about this in football or whatever it may be. But for this particular fight, conventional wisdom says Canelo's too big. It says that this is too tall of an order. In addition to which Canelo is an icon, he's a true household name, and Terence Crawford is like a little bit Niche still if you go up to people who don't follow boxing, it's me. Yet he hasn't fully crossed over and yet Canelo is less than a two to one favorite. I don't quite understand it, and it just feels to me like the streets might be talking or something. You know, some big players might be doing some things. But I will tell you this, my mark. I am not a trader. I'm not a finance guy, and my market analysis historically has been rather shaky. I've come with some theories and they don't always pan out. But I'm a little confused by this line.
Speaker 1: Well, so this is you brought us to, and we're going twice as long as I told you we would, so I'll wrap this up quickly soon. But you brought us to what was for good or for bad? What is like an element of boxing, which is who's if the fights goes to the cards and it's a true coin flip, is there a which of the two fighters is it better for let's just call it Vegas to be the winner.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not sure. I'm not sure, But one thing I do know is there's an old adage you can't beat Canelo in Vegas. You don't want to go to the cards with Canelo. What about the there is Londi Laura fight where he landed eight head shots and by the way, I still think he won the fight because Laura was so on his bike, but it certainly was was nuanced. It's certain he landed eight shots to the dome Nick eight and one on decision and one on the points. What about C J. Ross who had Canelo Mayweather one fourteen one fourteen Floyd won thirteen rounds of a twelve round fight. Yeah, what happened there? So I don't want to get too into what might be going on with that situation, because you know, I mean, but we can all speculate as to why it has seemed very hard to beat Canelo on the cards, and there have been many cards that have come in where it's that sort of feeling in your stomach.
Speaker 1: But bud just has to maybe Budges has to win in a stoppage.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling the changing of the tides. I'm feeling like integrity. Might you know? And again we'll see, we don't only they know how this is going to go.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right, do you can you before you go? And I'm obviously I would never publicly maybe privately, but I would never publicly ask you for bet amounts. But can you tell us your journey of betting this fight, because it's hard for me to believe it was one time, one ticket, one trip to the window.
Speaker 2: No, honestly, I've only made one bet so far on this fight. It it uh, it's on my mind. I want it to take a real amount of money. Yeah, it's an amount of money. But my theory on this so I refresh the line for this one for two weeks now every five to eight minutes. You know, I'm prone to rumination. I have some neurotic tendencies that can turn on me at times, but also as a gift and a curse, you know, and I've accepted myself, but one of them for something like this is constantly refreshing line. My theory is that on Mexican Independence Weekend, one of the biggest fights ever at Allegiant Stadium, a lot of Mexicans are going to come to town and start firing Canelo. So my theory, which is not particularly advanced, is that if you want to bet Bud, conventional wisdom might be to wait. So I'm eyeing it. I'd love to get Bud at something like two to one would just be delightful. However, I think.
Speaker 1: It's right now. In the short term, it's moved a little bit against you.
Speaker 2: If it's it will by against me, you mean kind of with me, but against what I want to get you. But if I'm seeing those tendencies, I'm gonna come in again, probably pretty soon. And and like I said, you know, I'm not a market expert, but I've done this enough for a long time. I tend to have some decent ideas about where the lines are going to end up. So that was my idea. We'll see, And I also have some bud By stoppage a little better than ten to one. That would be an evening what a needs mercy, That.
Speaker 1: Would be That would my His name is Nick Shulman. He was a first ballot Poker Hall of Famer. He's seven seven time World Series of Poker Bracelet winner. He is universally regarded as America's favorite poker commentator. He one day will be regarded as one of the best boxing commentators out there, if I have anything say about it. It is an honor and a privilege to uh call him my friend. And when it's not football season, I get to spend a lot of time with him in Vegas. When it is football season. We text about other people's losing football bets and our own gambling weekends. Nick, I appreciate you. You have made me if I wasn't already heavily invested in Terrence Bud Crawford winning. He's a Midwestern kid like me. Uh, is there anything I would imagine? I don't know. Is there anything that you don't you want to promote, you want to tell the audience about anyone you want to shout out before we go? Any other final thoughts about the fight? Anything?
Speaker 2: Uh? No final thoughts. You know Naolia in a way fights this weekend two put eyes on him. He's arguably the best fighter in the world. And uh, you know, it's a true honor to be on your platform. You know, I really appreciate it. And I just want to say when we were kicking it in Vegas and you were getting all sorts of love left and right, it's touching how real you keep it and how you know nice you are to every single person that comes up to you, DAPs you up. You're the same way off the air and that that touched me. You know that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you so much for.
Speaker 1: That tried to the one guy who.
Speaker 2: Said Lebron you know who did that stuff?
Speaker 1: That was like wanted to fight me?
Speaker 2: No, that was that was a lot then a I.
Speaker 1: Think it's fair to say a half drunk Scott sever almost tackled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Scotty, you don't want to you don't want Scotty, but you know, aside from that gentleman and he just sort of dropped it almost like you know, like I'll see you outside. It's just kind of like it was like all right, but yeah, all right, man, have a great trip.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to absolutely give my best to the family and appreciate you coming on. And we'll be back on what's right on Monday or Tuesday, pending what happened to football this week, and see you guys. Letter.
Speaker 2: We'll try later, Bro