Speaker 1: But We Loved is a production of iHeart Podcasts and The Outspoken Podcast Network. Hey, this is Jordan. This is our last episode of but We Loved, and I want to thank you so much for being on this journey with me. This was my first professional endeavor as a journalist and to think we've made forty episodes, forty emotional, surprising, revealing episodes. I'm just so grateful for your support. I don't know if but We Loved we'll be back, but I want you to stay with me on my journey. If you haven't already, go follow me on Instagram or TikTok at your underscore again, Solvice. That's Jar Underscore g O n SA l VS. I'm going to be producing a TV series called Unshaming as my next career move, where I interview people on the shame that they've overcome, and I want you to stay in touch with me. I read every letter you send, every message that I get on Instagram from you, and it means a lot. I want to say thank you for all of the encouragement and I cannot wait to take you with me on this next huge part of my journey. Thank you so much. Now let's get into the show.
Speaker 2: So I had an agent. I made an appointment to see him, and I brought the manuscript and I said, Stirling, I made sure the door was closed. Nobody else, none of the secretaries could here. I've written a book. It has to be under a pen name. Nobody can know I wrote this book. I don't know if there's a way you can do that. I'd like to get it published. I'd like you to read it. Are you willing to read it? On that basis? And no one will ever know that it's me? And he said okay. And the next day he called. He said, I want to got to published, and basically he did. This was kind of the first one written about coming out. Everybody in the whole world knew basically accept my parents.
Speaker 1: As a gay kid, growing up religious and in the South, I thought being gay was the worst thing I could ever be. Now, as a journalist, I'm trying to unlearn that by seeking out our history, and what I've found are people and stories full of courage, perseverance, and love. In this episode, we'll meet Andy Tobias, the author of the legendary book The Best Little Boy in the World. We'll learn about the loneliness that he battled before coming out, and for Andy, what he believes is the opposite of that loneliness. For my Heart podcasts, I'm Jordan and Solves, and this is what we loved. In my first year of coming out, I read almost all the popular gay self help books, and one of them was called The Best Little Boy in the World. Before I even knew what the story was about. It almost felt as if the title of the book looked me up and down and tore into my life story. It's about a syndrome that so many queer people share, the idea that we can deflect from our shame of being gay by overachieving. I can overcompensate with accomplishments at school and at work and in the gym for the fact that I don't believe I'm truly lovable. I can compete against others and be the best, which will give me an artificial sense of self worth that I don't have on my own. It was familiar to me because it was my story growing up. I learned very early on that the accomplishments my parents could brag about were like a currency for approval. When I was thirteen, I got into one of the most competitive high schools in my city. In college, I landed one of the most competitive internships at Google, and I won the opportunity my senior year to give the student commencement speech at graduation. I had hoped to that by being the best little boy in the world, the best high schooler, the best intern, the best everything, it would distract from my deep inner belief that I wasn't worthy of love. But it didn't. It just left me on top of a big pyramid of achievement by myself alone. When I read the book, it gave me language for the first time to explain this experience, and it helped me realize that my accomplishments would never soothe my innate need to be loved. My next guest, Andy Tobias, is the author of that book, The Best Little Boy in the World. According to Amazon, it has sold over a million copies since it first came out in nineteen seventy three and has never gone out of print. The book has touched the lives of countless queer people across decades, including many of my guests this season. Andy would go on to become one of the most well known financial thinkers in America, writing for Time, in Esquire and New York Magazine. He's written multiple best selling books on money and investing, and for many years was the treasurer of the Democratic National Committee. But long before that, in the fifties and sixties, when he was growing up, Andy Tobias was also the best little boy way in the world. What was that moment for you when you knew that you were gay or different for the first time? As a child, we.
Speaker 2: Went to Palm Springs. My stayed at my grandmother's place. Who knew that Palm Springs would become a gay mecca. And I couldn't have been eight, so I must have been ten, and I was thumbing through a Sports Illustrated and I saw a particular picture that, oh, wow, boxer with us. You know, I probably somebody who had just won the lightweight something or other than Sports Illustrated. But there were stirrings' There hadn't been stirrings before that, I remember.
Speaker 1: So what kind of messages were you getting about being gay in the fifties?
Speaker 2: So basically I was watching tea in the den up in the country on a little black and white TV. Because this is nineteen fifty seven and I'm ten. This is now sixty seven years ago or almost sixty eight, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Ben Kosovar, who was an army buddy of my dad, comes through with my dad and they were talking about something and all they were just walking through the hallway, and the one snippet I heard was Ben Kosovar saying, oh, he's a homosexual. And they were gone, and I'm thinking, oh my god, that's the word for it.
Speaker 1: You didn't even know what they were exactly. You didn't hear talking about.
Speaker 2: Some awful person who was a queer, and which is the worst thing you could possibly be in nineteen fifty seven among the straight guys. My father was a wonderful, wonderful man, my mother was a wonderful woman. But they hated gay people because everybody did or or they you know, they pitied them, and they it was just a horrible horror thing to be. You didn't want to have anything to do with gay people. So I knew, and from age ten to age twenty two, I had this terrible secret that no one could ever know. And there was no question about it. The only issue is how am I going to hide it for the rest of my life and how am I going to have a life because I probably won't be able to. I thought about it constantly, especially once the hormones kicked in more or less that year, and the next year and the year after. So for the next twelve years, which is a long time when you're ten, to keep this secret, and Jordan, I thought about it constantly. I was afraid of everything, including talking in my sleep. That was the one thing I couldn't totally necessarily control.
Speaker 1: You talked about kind of this experience with your dad and his friend in the army and understanding that that was a bad thing to be gay. What did that mentality sort of create for you in the next chapter of your life.
Speaker 2: I spent the next twelve or thirteen years being deeply, deeply in the closet and trying to do everything right, trying to get the best grades I could, trying to get my little varsity letters. I had to go to Harvard because my brother, my older brother, Goliath, who was four years older, almost four years, he had gone to Harvard. I was very competitive with him in a way, I guess, and so would look for any opportunity to be the better performing child. So he would get in trouble, and I would oh, Andy's such a good boy. And when it was time to apply to schools, I didn't know where to apply, and I really was very out of it in so many ways, including this one. But my parents said, well, you're applying to Harvard. What do you mean? And I said, well, yeah, but okay, where else? They said, what do you mean? Where else? You're applying to Harvard? And I said, what if you don't get in? I had to go to Harvard, and thank Heavens, I got in because I would have been deep trouble, I guess with the Supreme Court if I didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, how was it at Harvard being gay? I mean I came out my senior year of college, and I feel like those years were turmoil for me because it was becoming harder and harder and harder to conceal my sexuality and stay in the closet even to myself. What was it like for you during those years in college?
Speaker 2: Well, in high school I was in love with various people, I mean deeply in love, but couldn't do anything. And in college I was madly in love with a whole succession of people, none of whom ever knew. I mean two of my roommates. One went on to be mayor of Cincinnati, and the other roommates that I was in love with became dean of students at the University of British Columbia with sixty five thousand students, and oh my god, college was so lonely on Saturday nights day and everybody else would go out looking for women. Harvard was all I pretended. I hated it, but there was all guys and we weren't even allowed to have women in the rooms except for it was called parietals, and the parietals on weekdays.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, this was before it was a co ed.
Speaker 2: Ye. Yes, we had electricity, but we didn't have women. So Saturday nights Arnt and Brian and the others would go out to parties and looking for chicks and all these things. And I would pretend that I had a turn paper I had to do, or this or that the other thing. I was very busy with extracurricular stuff. But what I would really do Saturday night, I would sit alone in our dorm room or our suite I guess you call it, with the lights off. I would listen to albums over and over again. One Johnny Mathis. The album is called Heavenly. It is the most romatic album you will ever hear. And I would listen to these love songs basically they were so beautiful and the express the yearning, the yearning and the yearning and the yearning that I've felt. That's how lonely I was, and so that really spoke to me.
Speaker 1: So andy. At some point in your coming out journey, you decide to write this book, The Best Little Boy in the World. What was that like?
Speaker 2: When I was twenty three, I went back to business school basically to have something respectable to do while I came out of the closet. I was did very little of the homework, and I was terrible in the classroom and all that kind of stuff. But I needed some cover. I needed something respectable to do.
Speaker 1: This was another form of compensation, another form of being the best twenty three year old boy in the world.
Speaker 2: You know, I was my cover story. Every night, while I was supposed to be studying the cases, I would get in my little eighteen hundred and eleven dollars Fiat Spider and drive down to Sporters, which was the bar of k bar, of course, and there were like four bars in Boston, and this was the kind of the collegiate one and where I might meet somebody that I like. But that summer I realized, hey, this is crazy. Some of the people I'm meeting the bar. One of them's a priest, one of them is a cop. So after a couple of years, when I was just finishing business school, I'd already had some stuff in New York magazine for other reasons, and I realized I should write about this. This is an unbelievable story. There is this whole world out there that millions of people know about, including some straight people, mostly gay people, but straight you know, in the theater and this and a lot of people know it, and nobody else knows, but most of America know it, just wasn't discussed and so on and so forth. So what a book, What an opportunity to now. I was not brave in any way, so I couldn't let anybody know that I wrote the book. But I wrote this book under a pen name. I remember going kind of vibrating with nervousness and sweating. I went to my agent, because I had a literary agent, because I had.
Speaker 1: This is the best little boy in the world. You write this book.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Before that book, I had had a couple other books, and I'd had articles. I was on the cover of New York Magazine and all these kinds of things. So I had an agent and he was such a straight lace waspish well I can say his name is passed on, and he was in many ways a wonderful man. His name was Sterling Lord. I made an appointment to see him and I brought the manuscript. This is before PDFs or any of that stuff. So I had one copy. I guess I made a xerox or something. I brought the manuscript and I said, Sterling. I made sure the door was closed. Nobody else, none of the secretaries could here. I've written a book. It has to be under a pen name. Nobody can know I wrote this book. I don't know if there's a way you can do that. I'd like to get it published. I'd like you to read it. Are you willing to read it? On that basis? And no one will ever know that it's me? And he said okay. And the next day he called and he said, I want to got to publish, And basically he did This was kind of the first one written about coming out.
Speaker 1: So the book comes out and it changes so many people's lives. It's the first of its kind. But your parents still don't know that you're gay.
Speaker 2: Everybody in the whole world knew, basically except my parents. I mean, how could I tell my parents. They loved me so much and I love them so much, and this was a terrible thing to be And I didn't want to, you know. And I thought it over and over again a billion different times. When I would go up, you know, get in my car, drive up to visit them for Thanksgiving or for this time or for that time, I would think through my head how the conversation would go, and I would this time, I'm going to do it. This went on for years.
Speaker 1: By his mid twenties, Andy had graduated from Harvard and Harvard Business School, and he was a regular finance contributor to New York Magazine and had even appeared on the cover of the magazine in nineteen seventy. When he published The Best Little Boy in the World in nineteen seventy three, it quickly began impacting the lives of many gay men across the nation. The initial printing sold thousands of copies and quickly sold out, and Andy would receive powerful letters from readers telling him, I can't believe you've written my story. At a time when being gay was still very shameful, this was deeply rewarding to him. But even though he had a full fledged gay life with friends and fans and even a few romantic relationships, he was still closeted to his parents.
Speaker 2: The book had come out, it had been reviewed in The New or Times Sunday. I had had an excerpt of it in New York Magazine under a pen name. But I had a friend from high school called from California say hey, Andy, congratulations on this. You know. I said, what do you mean, How did you know? He said, oh, it's obvious your style. You know, it was obvious it was you. So he knew, but my parents didn't know. And this went on for years. Okay, the book came out when I was twenty five. Everybody knew, People at New York Magazine knew, and I would drive up to visit my parents and go through my head. Finally, age thirty, the paperbacks about to come out, and I just couldn't stand it anymore. And every Sunday, I would call my parents to say hi, because that's what you do. And I called my mother picked up, and I said, Mom, listen, I'm about to tell you something that I either should have told you ten years ago or I should never tell you. And this is certainly not the way to do it over the phone. But I can't stand it anymore. There's no good way to do it. And my mother said instantly, okay, but don't tell your father. He's coming to he's coming to the phone. And so he came to the phone. So we talked about something else or whatever, and then I reconnoitered with my mother and I said, what do you mean, don't tell my father. This went on for two years. I finally said, Mom, this is just ridiculous. This is insane. So she said, all right, I'm going to California. I'll be gone for a few days. On Sunday, call your dad. Ask him to stop by your apartment on the on the way in from the country back into the city, because that's what we did, and asked him to come by. So I did. He came by and I basically told him and he said okay, and I said, what do you mean Okay. I was kind of expecting that this was I've been I've been waiting her twenty years to finally and he said, well, you know, you're not a bad looking guy. You never bring girls home, you never have, you don't talk about girls into I can't say I'm completely surprised. So now I'm feeling you know, I've gone through all that. So I said, would it surprise you to know I've written a book about it that was reviewed in the New York Times? And he said, what what? I So I gave him the book, and now I wow. I gave him the book, and it's hard to do the rest of this way out getting a little choked up because he was wonderful, wonderful man. And he called at nine o'clock the next morning and he was crying. It was clear. I said, why are you crying? He said, I stayed up. I stayed up all night and I read it twice, and I just feel so bad that I didn't do anything to help you. I had great parents, so that's how I told him. Only took me, you know, twenty years from when I knew and five years from when I wrote the book. And I guess I was thirty two by the time I told my dad.
Speaker 1: The nineteen eighties were a decade of success for Andy. He became a household name as a financial guru, but it was also a time of unbearable loss. Andy was living through the AIDS crisis. He was watching his best friends get sick and die, Young brilliant men, friends he had danced with at Fire Island, laughed with over intimate dinners, friends who had become family to him disappearing one by one. And at the time, it seemed like the presidential administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush Senior were largely indifferent. After all, AIDS was a disease shrouded in shame because it largely affected queer people, a segment of society many viewed as worthless. But when a young governor named Bill Clinton decided to run for president, Andy and many LGBTQ Americans felt a glimmer of hope. Bill Clinton was the first president to appoint qualified gay Americans into his administration, showing the nation that LGBTQ Americans were respectable, dignified people. He also declared war on AIDS and made major strides in ending the crisis, and when Clinton got elected, Andy got the chance to tell him thank you.
Speaker 2: Through a series of lucky, odd coincidences, I got to know the governor of Arkansas, very young guy, at his very pretty.
Speaker 1: Wife Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he went off and got himself elected. And on January first, nineteen ninety three, nineteen days before he was in fact going to be inaugurated, they were he and his wife were at the thing that where I met him, a thing called Renaissance Weekend that about thousand people went to, and they put me on a paddel. They called it a panel, each one with two minutes, and your assignment was New Year's Day, nineteen ninety three. What I would say if I had two minutes to say anything I wanted to the next president of the United States. And then there was a big, big footnote, don't expect him to be there. He won't necessarily be there. I decided I didn't tell anybody. I was too scared to tell anybody. I didn't tell any of my friends. The people who knew me there knew I was gay. I've been gay forever, but there are a lot of people I didn't know there. But I was so scared because eight hundred people whatever it was in the audience, And so I got up there and I say, and I'm looking straight at him, and I say, if I had two minutes to say anything, you might expect me to talk about smoking, because they knew I was a big anti tobacco guy. But really, there's only one thing I could say, which is thank you. You haven't even taken office yet, and already you have dramatically improved my life and the lives of millions of other gay and lesbian people around the world. So I did my little two minutes on that, and the response I got afterwards. Remember this is nineteen ninety three, long after Snowmall much progress had been made. But Bill clint was the very first presidential candidate who would ever put our topic on the national stage and who had ever done a fundraiser with LGBT people when he was a candidate.
Speaker 1: And this is the backdrop of all of this, is aids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I lost half my friends and age they died. Half my friends, including my partner of seven years, Scott.
Speaker 1: You know when you were talking about coming out to the Clintons, it made you emotional. I wonder why that that was such a touching moment in your life.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to throw a wedding for my two best young friends. I'd never thrown a wedding before, and I was the epiciant, and I was going to I decided not to say this because it was about them, not about me. But I was thinking, as I kind of m seed the thing I was thinking of saying. You know, a lot of you think that I walked down here, like eight blocks from south from where I live, which is true, But really the journey started about eight blocks west and twenty blocks north. And it's been seventy seven years, and I get emotional because we have been through so much.
Speaker 1: By the late nineties, Andy had become an important voice in Democratic politics. As the treasurer of the Democratic National Committee. He would help prop up two wildly successful presidential campaigns for President Obama, and at one point had become one of the highest profile gay public officials in America. As part of his service, in twenty thirteen, he traveled to China and came out to the country's Vice president. Andy, once a lonely gay child who hid his sexuality and shame, had completely transformed into a global advocate for LGBT causes.
Speaker 2: So I got a call from Howard Dean, who had been the governor of Vermont and had been the chair of the Democrat National Committee, so I knew him that way. And he said, Andy, there's this thing. Every six months they have some Democrats and some Republicans go to China and then every six months the Chinese Communist Party come to Washington. I've done it twice, can't do it again. You should be one of the three Democrats who goes. It's an exchange between the parties of the United States and the Party of China. And I said, you crazy. I don't know anything about I don't speak.
Speaker 1: Chinese, I don't when was this.
Speaker 2: This was twenty thirteen. But after saying no, no, no, about a million times, they finally persuaded me to do it. And I was very nervous about it, and I was going to have to deal with people that I didn't know and who didn't certainly didn't know about my life. And I had been asked to give the first little remarks with the Vice President of China, and my topic was supposed to be the you know, gridlock between the two parties in Congress and all this stuff. I addressed the topic, and then I said, and if I might, as a point of personal privilege, as we call it in the US, I explain that, you know, three of the nine officers of the Democratic National Committee, including me, were openly gay. I said, you know, they're probably about one hundred million gay people and LGBT people in China, and of your eighty five million Chinese Party of the Communist Party members, do you have any sense of how many? You know, how many are in your leadership in America? He's a professor. Do we know anything about that professor? Whoever? It was no, but we could look into him all that anyway. Frankly, it was thrilling to me because the goal was maybe we can show them that, you know, this is not a big deal, because nothing to make a hundred million people happier. Things To make somebody happier, you need to build things, or you need to grow things, or you need to you know, hurt somebody else, make them un more or less happy. Here, you can make one hundred million people happier just by you know, letting them live their lives without fear of persecution. That kind of thing.
Speaker 1: We've talked a little bit about this amazing life that you've lived. Andy. As gay men, it's no secret that we tend to chase the ideals of what we think will make us happy, working out for hours on end in the gym, in our body, image and sex and wealth. But what has made you happy in your life?
Speaker 2: Chosen family. I have an amazing family of astonishing friends. I tell my young friends, if you've got your health, you've got your friends, you've got a good Internet connection, and you have purpose in your life, you have everything. I wrote a book called The Only Investment God You'll Ever Need, you know, two hundred and whatever pages. I wrote another one called The Only Relationship Guide You'll Ever Need, which is just one sentence, so I couldn't actually publish it as a book. But it's be nice to each other and find humor in the compromises. They're worth it. Friends are everything, and so that's the opposite of loneliness.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is it's it's community or family.
Speaker 2: You build your own family.
Speaker 1: But We Loved is hosted by me Jordan Gonsolves. If you want to write in to tell your story, email us at but We Loved at gmail dot com, or you can send me a message on Instagram or TikTok at your underscore goa and solve this. We are a production of The Outspoken Podcast Network and iHeart Podcasts, but We Loved was originally developed with Pushkin Industries. Our producers are Joe pat Emily Meronoff, and Christina Loranger. Our executive producers are me Maya Howard and Katrina Norville. Original music by Steve Boone. Special thanks to Jay Bronson and Roquel Willis. If you loved this episode, leave us a rating and follow us on Apple Podcasts and Spotify, and thank you for listening.