Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show. Come on in In case you missed it, we spent almost an entire hour on Kyler Murray. Kyler Murray his next stop to his next stop. We'll talk to Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk and he will join us coming up in about twenty minutes from now. But there was a reason why we're talking about Kyler Murray and a little bit with Tua because I still think that Kyler Murray is a starting quarterback. And I think a team like Atlanta or Minnesota, and I know everybody's going to say the same thing, well, why didn't it work out in Arizona? For a while, it did, But then I just think you get to the point where you go, is he going to get any better? Does he want to get any better? And maybe they came to that conclusion that for what we're paying, we're not going to be winning anytime soon, but we're able to build. And look, they got Marvin Harrison, Trey McBride, so they have been successful in the draft. But if you start to look at the draft, that's why we're focusing on Kyler Murray and Geno Smith and to a tongue of Ioloa because there's no other really good quarterback in the draft. Now, maybe Ty Simpson turns out to be something. Fernando we know is already going to the Raiders. So now you start to focus on these other quarterbacks because your team, the Jets, what are they doing? Miami? What are they doing? Minnesota? What are they doing? The Colts with Daniel Jones, what are they doing? So there's Arizona, what are they doing. There's a lot of teams where you go, what are you going to do at that position? And this is where I would caution teams, and I would say, don't do anything crazy because chances are next year's draft well almost impossible for it not to be as good as this draft with quarterbacks, but you would maybe be able to find your quarterback. Because everybody wants that five year contract, that rookie deal, that's what you want. I don't want to spend a lot unless I'm ready. Seattle was ready to win. That's why they said let's bring in Sam Darnold. We'll pay him that money, and they end up winning a super Bowl. That's the key. When you bring somebody in like that, are you ready to win? Jets aren't ready to win. But I think Kyler Murray at his age, I would take a chance on it. And if Arizona's picking up a good portion of his salary, if Miami's picking up a good portion of tooist salary, if I'm a team like Atlanta, I bring him in. I bring in one of those players. I'm not ready to annoint Michael Pennix junior the third my starting quarterback, but if I'm able to get and he's under a rookie contract, It's just like Minnesota with JJ McCarthy. He's not ready to be my starting quarterback. But maybe one of these guys can come in and we have to Atlanta can win now, Minnesota has proven they can win.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's where if I'm bringing a quarterback in, I'm willing to pay a little bit. But maybe with Kyler and Tua, you don't have to pay that much that the other teams. They're teams that they were with before they're going to be picking up that salary. What do you have to lose? Take a chance. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming partner also the NBC Sports Network eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by, you'll take your phone calls. Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk will join us coming up, and the pole question Kyler Murray Heavy, what are we going to go with an hour two seaton?
Speaker 4: I think we're gonna let these five breathe for just a little bit. Although we didn't really get to get into Marvin's much, which I think is a fun one. Who is the player that you wish had done more?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Boy, some of them are pretty relevant. Stough, I mean Kyler Murray and Clowny. I feel like I feel like jadeveon Cloudy. Maybe he didn't live up to the insane overhype that no one could live up to, but he's played a hell of a long time.
Speaker 2: That's worth something. Yes, I don't think he I think he had a disappointing career from the standpoint of what we thought he was going to be. But I thought he had a respectable career. We just thought that he was going to have a Hall of Fame career. But we put those expectations on him when he did his Pro day and ESPN was there I think live and they're like, oh my god. Well, it didn't take long for me to find out what is the knock on Jadavian Clowney. And the knock was he didn't have lower leg lower body strength. It's all and all that took is one call for me. I would assume people doing their homework would say, hey, what could go wrong here? A lot of times we were like, this guy's unbelievable. Uh, you know, there's no this one hundred percent this guy's going to be great. I don't care who it is, but with you, dave on Clowney, he didn't have lower body strength and he could be pushed around a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul Clowney is still playing. He's in year twelve, mostly as a starter. He made three Pro Bowls at twenty three, twenty four, twenty five. He never had more than ten sacks in a season. Sixty six and a half sacks. A nice career for like a second round guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that he was had a respectable career, but it's disappointing because we thought he was going to be unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think he's another guy though, too, that doesn't get any type of injury benefit of the doubt. I feel like he's been up and down throughout most of his career because of injury.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paulie, You'll never forget the hit he had in the Outback Bowl. Vincent Smith the running back for Michigan, and that was that looked like something out of a TV show or a movie about a football player.
Speaker 2: No, he'd played the role of rockham Sock him Robots where he hit the boxer and his head goes up. That was the helmet that left the Michigan player much anticipated. Twenty twenty six NFL season odds to have the most wins. You say, the most wins this upcoming season. I have three teams tied for the best odds for the most wins. Todd will start with you can you get one of three?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go with Paulie's Bears.
Speaker 2: Well, you missed it, paul It has to be the Bills. You missed it too, seatan.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say the Baltimore Ravens, you got one of three, Marvin, the Los Angeles Rams, you got another one. The Seattle Seahawks. Hello, perhaps you remember them, maybe you've heard of them. Then you have the Buffalo Bills, followed by the Lions, Packers, Eagles, Chiefs, no Bears. By the way. Speaking of the Bears, they just had their center retire at the age of twenty seven, Drew Dolman. He just got paid last year. He had two years at close to thirty million dollars coming to him, and he walked away at age twenty seven, quitter Stanford grad and told the team on Monday, I'm retiring. I don't know what else any other information attached to this, but he was good. He's a Pro Bowl center, and this offensive line improved dramatically when they started to you know, well, they brought him in and they brought in Joe Tooney as well, so that helped the Bears offensive line. But that one was a bit of a surprise, I'm sure for the Bears when you're twenty seven year old center and his dad played in the NFL. Oh, you know, maybe he's like, I made a good living, I got a Stanford degree, you know, I got I got a long future ahead of me, and it's not going to be playing football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, he had thirty million dollars in career earnings. As of last season. He had thirteen coming next year, thirteen coming the year after. But when you start researching the guy, a Stanford guy, his dad played in the league, he's probably really aware of the wear and tear of football, and he may say to himself, thirty million's good. But usually it's from a team, a guy on a team that's struggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that they had taken that next step they you know, playoff team. Man, that's surprising. Yes, it is surprising because they finally got good. Yeah. And he theoretically is a key piece of that. Yes, he had a huge part of it. Yes, be in the center calls all the signals at a loss. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Show. Todd No more indoor golf emails or questions.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's too many questions.
Speaker 2: Well maybe just send it to Paul.
Speaker 7: I can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so there's a buffer there. But you keep you about indoor, watching indoor golf and getting a hole on an indoor So all that.
Speaker 9: Excitement that I could not relate to by Tiger and the team. I guess maybe if I was on the team and they're making.
Speaker 2: A mounts of dollars give give America your mission statement on tg.
Speaker 7: L mission statement of the questions I have for Paula.
Speaker 2: Either way, let's just get it out of the way.
Speaker 9: TGL golf is entertain and exciting, kind of boring, silly, and totally unnecessary, not going to last very long.
Speaker 7: All of the above except hey, whoa what else?
Speaker 9: And the other was an indoor golf hole in one is an amazing rare feat stick out your chest, Tom Kim, something of an accomplishment, not anything.
Speaker 7: Listen to me, Jupiter Links, It's not a thing. Just stop. It was your choice.
Speaker 2: Would you be saying this to Tiger to his face and let me say that, Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Probably mumbled under my breath as I'm walking away from it.
Speaker 2: But if Tiger called in and you answered the phone, I think I.
Speaker 7: Would say thanks for coming on, I'm gonna get.
Speaker 9: You a dan, and then wait for you to bring it up in the interview and make me look stupid. And then at that point I'd have to eat a hide or say yeah, it is kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Indoor go yeah, because then I'm going you know, Tiger, not everybody likes indoor golf Todd, why didn't you tell Tiger what.
Speaker 9: You think if my eight year old was having a birthday party. Get everybody together and place them indoor golf. We can go on some rides and you know, do the amusement park, then cotton candy.
Speaker 7: It's fun.
Speaker 2: I got excited when I had a hole in one on the golf simulator. I know, I mean.
Speaker 10: It was, oh wow, shot, what is going on again?
Speaker 7: Just mumbled under my breath from the distance while you were doing that.
Speaker 9: I'm my god, he's getting all excited a hole in one hitting like some fake wall with a picture of a replica of some.
Speaker 2: Place of pebble beach, par three seven. It doesn't matter which thank you to yes.
Speaker 6: Based off Todd's question about TJO Golf.
Speaker 10: I've watched it.
Speaker 6: It's well produced, there's a lot of energy, the crowd is into it.
Speaker 10: It's good TV.
Speaker 6: But there's only so much room you have as a sports fan to watch sports. And I'll watch regular golf first if I can, and then maybe TGL. You got to be pretty hardcore in the golf for.
Speaker 2: TG Yeah, I guy have to accidentally find it or it finds me, and then I might watch it a little bit, but I don't place a lot of emphasis on it. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 11: You guys you mentioned that you had bagels for breakfast this morning. My question that Todd was did he have an onion bagel? And if he did not, did he harass Dylan for it?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: Now, thank you David. Jade, who works, you know, with us, the advertising people, our sales staff. She's in town and she said, I'm going to get bagels, and she wanted to know what kind of bagels, and she got some onion bagels done.
Speaker 7: She was very, very thoughtful. She's done it before.
Speaker 9: So get in a ray of bagels and she makes up show on the side. She puts a couple onion bagels aside just for me.
Speaker 7: Yes, which I really appreciate that. Did you know how wildly angry I get if one?
Speaker 2: Did you think her?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: I thank her in person, and then I sent her a passive aggressive text as a.
Speaker 7: Backup saying, just want to thank you again for the onion bagels. That was very nice of you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Let's see Kirk in Florida. I Kirk, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 5: How you doing this? One is also directed to mister Fritz with the whole Miami University. Uh, Miami University is the one in Ohio and was founded in eighteen oh nine. University of Miami is the one that's in Florida and they didn't come along until nineteen twenty five. So if anyone should playing of it should be the U in Florida, since Miami University was there first.
Speaker 2: Well, we've known the U obviously on the sports landscape, not as much Miami of Ohio. Certainly not the football team, even though it's the cradle of coaches. More Hall of Fame coaches at Miami Ohio, I think than any other university. I believe that still exists. But yeah, Miami Ohio has been around a lot longer than the U time.
Speaker 9: And Kirk was calling from Florida, so you think he might stick up for Miami. But I respect the fact that he's like, hey, give the love to Miami Ohio. They came first.
Speaker 2: Well maybe he's from Ohio and then he retired down in Florida. What people knew that I know.
Speaker 9: But if Miami Ohio was starting the thirteenth century, I think the other person would still recognize the Miami Hurricanes, even if they just were created twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Over that the thirteenth century. That's a long time, Yes it is. Let's see Niles in Arizona. Hi, Niles, Hey, oh are you great? You got a question for you, Dan, with all the uh with.
Speaker 3: A fire happening, I want to know if you're gonna allow the DNEX and the back room guys to take one thing when it's all said and done, and how much will you let them take? And will there be a draft based on performance?
Speaker 2: I'll hang up and listen right, thank you. The answer is no, they don't get anything. There's no parting gifts. Hey, take whatever you know, piece of memorabilia you want out of the building. No, this is all mine. It's a museum. You know, if you work in a museum for twenty years, if you work in the museum of Modern Art, you don't go Can I can I take a van go? I'm van gone? Can I take Can I van go home?
Speaker 9: With this?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Tod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't get to take it. There's a museum in here. It's my life. This is all I'm going to be left with. Yes, Marvin, So when this is over. Are you going to charge people to come in here and take a little tour that has been recommended? I'm thinking maybe a bed in breakfast.
Speaker 10: What are you running it?
Speaker 4: You testing that out with the VRGS now snowstorm bed and breakfast?
Speaker 10: Come on.
Speaker 2: I talked to Dylan, Okay, full transparency. I talked to Dylan and I said, hey, if I did a bed and breakfast here and we set up some places where you could bring your family in. We have the cooking area. Dylan could be making breakfast, lunch, dinner. You could come in, you could play basketball, be on the golf simulator, you could sit in the seat. You could play radio host if you wanted to. I can bring in my dog, you know, we can. We can recreate I can get cardboard cutouts of the dan Ets and then you could act like you're doing a show talking to them. We would do it sort of like a fantasy camp for broadcasters.
Speaker 6: Bed and bread slash fantasy kit. Yeah, you'll do a segment for them, maybe, well, I don't know, courtesy segment.
Speaker 2: I might.
Speaker 10: I might, but this is a discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because I don't know what I'm going to do with this museum and maybe you'll just keep it as is and then have people be able to come in, maybe spend two days.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tom, can patrons leave incense burning and just.
Speaker 2: Take the chest way too soon?
Speaker 7: Bring your own fire extinguis or what is? What's the thing?
Speaker 2: I just went back. The big german got the incense holder. He just ordered it right after the fire happened. He ordered it, and he goes incense. He was very serious. Incense holder be here on Wednesday. And I go, okay, all right. He's handling the install as we speak, and I go, okay, all right, I got it. Made a mistake, all right, So I have an incense holder back there that I'm going to put into action tomorrow.
Speaker 9: Yes, And we learned our lesson which you pointed out, which is good, so we all know not to do that.
Speaker 2: And you are free. You are todd frisky. Let me take a break, let me talk to the esteemed Mike Florio. He'll join us coming up next to here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: W app Hey, It's Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right. You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 8: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of Kyler Murray questions today. We're still searching for the answers. You're helping us. Our pole questions have to do with Kyler Murray. And as I stated, I'm not going out of my way to talk about Kyler Murray because Kyler Murray is relevant because if you look, this draft class is not strong at the quarterbacking position. Therefore, to atongu of Ioloa, Geno Smith, Malik Willis, Kyler Murray, they're going to play a more important role because they're going to have options. Kirk Cousins, They're going to have options because if you're a team and you want to catch lightning in a bottle, or maybe you're an established team and still needs a quarterback like Minnesota does, then maybe or Atlanta. Those are great landing spots for one of these quarterbacks to be able to take a team that's playoff worthy and maybe make a run like we saw with the Patriots springing. Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and of course, Football Night in America in cider, Where do you want to start? Which situation piques your interest the most?
Speaker 12: Mike, Well, you're already talking about the man of the moment, Kyler Murray. He'll be released next week. And the key here is Dan. The Cardinals own thirty six point eight million fully guaranteed for twenty twenty six. He can do what Russell Wilson did two years ago, take the minimum on a one year deal, stick his former team with the balance. Because nobody's going to pay more than thirty six point eight million for twenty twenty six, and you go to a team at a low cost. That team saves millions in cash and potential cap space to put a good team around you. So that in and of itself makes him desirable because he can sign for one point three million.
Speaker 10: In fact, I would suggest if he's.
Speaker 12: Got multiple suitors, his position should be I want a no trade clause, and I want to know tag clause. I want a true one year arrangement and I go wherever I want next year. And you don't get into this Daniel Jones situation where you got the transition tag. You are a true free agent a year from now if you have the kind of year that sets you up for a big payday.
Speaker 2: Okay, If I look at his first three years in Arizona, those are respectable numbers, and then I think he had another season that he threw for what thirty eight hundred yards as well, So there's what four years out of six years with Kyler Murray. I mean that's that's a good sample size. I just don't know what the perception is around the league with him, either as a football player or is it everything attached to that football player.
Speaker 12: Well, Dan, I think the relationship with Arizona went off the rails after his third season and it was time for him to get a new contract. The worst thing the Cardinals could have done was jammed that stupid ass study clause. Can I say stupid ass? I just said it twice. He did it twice and two tracking because as I said earlier today, I'll PFG live.
Speaker 10: The moment that thought.
Speaker 12: Enters your brain if you're Michael Bidwell, the owner of the Cardinals, the moment you actually say it out loud and put it in a writing, that's when they should have traded him. If you have those kinds of misgivings about a guy that you've had three years with, and if you think he doesn't work hard enough to the point where you're willing to put it in writing that he's got an obligation to put it in twenty hours a week of study, that's when you sell high. That's when you trade him to another team. Look where they are four years later. What have they done in the four years since then?
Speaker 10: Nothing?
Speaker 12: They would have gotten so much more if they had flipped Kyler Murray once they realized we've got concerns about him. But they felt compelled to pay him. They felt compelled to justify using the first overall pick on him. And here's where they are not just letting him walk away for nothing, letting him walk away and owing him net thirty five point five million if he does a one year deal for the veteran minimum.
Speaker 2: I would still take a chance on him. If I'm Minnesota Atlanta put him indoors and I would take a chance on him.
Speaker 12: Mike Dan last two year, as we were getting close to the trade deadline, I was casting a wide net to see which players who we might not be thinking of could be available in trade. And at the time it was obvious something odd was going on between the Cardinals and Kyler Murray. He hadn't played in several weeks, and I poked around whether or not he could be traded.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 12: There were too many moving parts, the contract would have to be addressed, too much needed to be done in a short time frame for a trade to happen. But I was told at the time there were two teams he wanted to play for. The Raiders because they had Chip Kelly. Well that ship has sailed, and the Vikings because of Kevin O'Connell. And where are the Vikings right now? They've got JJ McCarthy. They're clearly looking for anyone in everyone that potentially could come in and bolster that depth chart.
Speaker 10: A year after they made the.
Speaker 12: Bad decision of not having an established veteran on the roster, here's Kyler Murray for one point three million. How could they say no to that unless Kevin O'Connell is in the camp, and there's a camp out there of coaches who just don't want a guy who's south of six two. No matter who it is, I don't want a short quarterback. There's going to be coaches like that. But you mentioned the Falcons. Stefanski's already had short quarterback in Cleveland and Dylan Gabriel. I think the wild card in Atlanta is whether or not six foot five inch Matt Ryan, the president of Football Operation.
Speaker 10: Says no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 12: We can't have a guy who's under six feet tall playing quarterback in Stefansk.
Speaker 2: Gad Baker Mayfield as well in Cleveland. Right to what got a chance to be a starter next year.
Speaker 12: It depends on where the other dominoes fall. I love the quarterback carousel. You know, the coaching carousel has to come to a complete stop. We know where all the head coaches are, we know the coordinators are, and now we can start trying to figure out where these quarterbacks are going to land. And there's a chance somebody's going to talk themselves into Tua based upon the good things he did with.
Speaker 10: The Miami Dolphins. He wasn't horrible.
Speaker 12: He did enough to get them to give him a market value contract, even though that was ridiculous that they paid him when they did, they weren't bidding against anyone but themselves. He was under contract for another year. Sure, let's give him fifty five million a year. That was a huge mistake. That was almost a Deshaun Watson lovel mistake by the Miami Dolphins. But if you get him in the right circumstances, you put him in the right offense, he can make things happen. The problem for him is that when the play that's there or the play that's called isn't there.
Speaker 10: Things kind of short circuit. But he's not alone. Kirk Cousins falls into that camp.
Speaker 12: There are plenty of quarterbacks who do a fine job at the NFL level who aren't capable of the Patrick Mahomes Josh Allen make magic when things go sideways.
Speaker 10: So there will be someone who will.
Speaker 12: Talk themselves into the possibility of giving.
Speaker 10: Hi an opportunity.
Speaker 12: And he's going to be in that same boat as Kyler one point three million on a one year deal because the Dolphins own fifty four million fully guaranteed this year.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host the Transition Tag with Daniel Jones. You've allowed Anthony Richardson to seek a trade someplace else. You've kind of taken away your leverage a little bit, I would think with Daniel Jones, haven't you if you're Indianapolis.
Speaker 12: Well, I think the Colts are content to see what a team will offer him on a long term deal, given that he's still recovering from a torn achilles tendon that happened less than three months ago. And for him, he's got a great bird in the hand here, thirty seven point eight million. All he's got to do is sign his name to the offer, and he gets it with no exceptions, no limitations, don't have to pass a physical it by this day.
Speaker 10: This day.
Speaker 12: You know, sometimes you'll see contracts that have those in there. When you got a guy coming off a serious injury, he gets thirty seven to eight. Last year he got fourteen. It's been a good year.
Speaker 10: For Daniel Jones.
Speaker 12: And now let's just see if someone offers him the kind of long term contract that he would accept, and then the Colts would have the opportunity to match it.
Speaker 10: And I don't know that anyone's going to do it.
Speaker 12: But the worst case scenario for Jones, well, the worst case scenario is the Colts rescind the transition tender and then he's a free agent after all.
Speaker 10: The money has flowed.
Speaker 12: But if he he just plays under the transition tag this year, that's thirty seven eight for a guy that we thought when the Giants cut him his days of making big money in the NFL were over.
Speaker 2: We do this every year. I caution teams every year, look at what happens on Saturdays, not what happens on a Thursday or Friday. In Indianapolis at the combine, we fall in love with these moments here, these players here, And I still go back to what did you do in an actual game situation? But can you see, can you give me a couple of names since you were there, where you go what they did is going to elevate their draft status, and rightfully so.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, you look at what Sonny Styles, the Ohio State linebacker did just off the charts across the boards. You've got the Arkansas quarterback who had eye popping numbers and he's six four, two twenty five.
Speaker 10: Those are things that can help.
Speaker 12: But you're right, Dan, we have seen what a guy does when it's eleven on eleven.
Speaker 10: But those are the moments.
Speaker 2: You pause, though, Mike, when you go look at all of that talent that guy has, and then you go, well, what did he do on Saturdays? How did Sonny Styles not reek havoc? Where we go, oh my god, he's the next Micah Parsons.
Speaker 10: And that's a great question.
Speaker 12: Well, you got a bunch of you got a bunch of other great defenders.
Speaker 10: Maybe the other guys were getting to the ball before he took it.
Speaker 12: I don't know, but Dan, you know, this is where I think bad teams, dysfunctional teams get infatuated by measurables, by analytics, by numbers, and they lose sight.
Speaker 10: Of the.
Speaker 12: Eyeball test as it relates to what the guy does on the field. Remember Vernon Golston, he was the pass rusher from Ohio State and he ended up going a lot higher than he should have because he had all the measurables. But what happens when you get in a game, what do you do to make a difference when it's time to go out there and use those skills in a very different setting.
Speaker 10: So the good teams get it.
Speaker 12: The good teams know it's just one piece of a bigger puzzle, and sometimes the bad teams put too much emphasis on the wrong things, whether it's what a guy does in underwear in Indianapolis, or you know, sometimes they put too much emphasis on what a guy does in college because you look at what he did in this game against a max school and you get infatuated by that, and you overlook what he did when it was time to go play one of the top schools if he didn't have a big day that day. So it's complicated, and we see that certain teams have figured it out and certain teams haven't.
Speaker 2: The market for Malik Willis is what.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 12: A GM told me last week that the thinking is between twenty to twenty five million dollars on a two or three year deal. Shorter term is better for Malik Willis because if he goes somewhere and he plays for a full season like he did when he got opportunities in the last two years with the Packers, then he'll be in line to get paid.
Speaker 10: A much bigger salary.
Speaker 12: I think there's two teams to watch who are going to be the ultimate Litman test here. The Dolphins and the Cardinals, because you've got two guys from Green Bay the past two years who are now calling the shots in Miami and John Eric Sullivan and Jeff Hafley. They know Malik Willis, not just when we see him play. They know him all the time. They know him in the meeting room, they know him on the practice field, they know what he can do. If they're not in on Malik Willis, that's a red flag for anyone else who doesn't know him. And with the Cardinals, Matt Lafleur the head coach of the Packers, his brother Mike is the head coach of the Cardinals. Now, I'd like to think that Matt would say to Mike, hey, man, I know you need a quarterback. This may be a guy that you want to take a look at because I think he can do it all season long.
Speaker 10: Because when he played the last.
Speaker 12: Two years, the numbers one hundred and thirty four plus passer rating, averaging more than ten yards per attempt, seventy five percent plus completion percentage.
Speaker 10: The guy has been very good.
Speaker 12: But as I was cautioned last week, you got to understand why he wasn't very good Tennessee. As part of the overall picture. The Titans gave him away for a seventh round pick.
Speaker 2: Dan, you make great points there before I let you go. The Drew Dolman situation with the Bears. Here's a high end center who just got paid last year. He's twenty seven. He walks in and he says, I'm retiring. Do we know anything more about this?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, when I thought about the situation last night, and the Bears could try to seek four million back from him because he got a six million dollar signing bonus on a three year deal. Technically he hasn't earned that four million in the collective bargaining agreement.
Speaker 10: Lets the Bears go get it if they choose to.
Speaker 12: And I thought last night, when you look at what he did on the first year of his contract, he had a career seison, played every snap in the regular season, started nineteen games if we include the playoffs. Pro bowler, you know, was he maybe looking for an adjustment and the Bears said no, and this is part of a broader leverage play. And I poked around a little on that. My understanding is that's not the case. He's just done.
Speaker 10: And nobody knows their body better than the players. Five years of wear and tear.
Speaker 12: And you know, I say this all the time with anyone. Remember when Vonte Davis retired during a game, Like the moment that you're no longer willing to go out on the field and subject yourself to that physical toll, the risk that happens on every snap, the moment you're not willing to do it, then you shouldn't And I respect it. Whenever a guy decides he's had enough, and by all indications, Drew Dolman decided he'd had enough.
Speaker 2: Vonte Davis retiring at halftime, though that feels like a thirty for thirty Mike, Oh.
Speaker 10: It was a hell of a story when it happened.
Speaker 12: But again, the moment that you don't want to do it for whatever reason, It takes so much to go out there and subject yourself to that.
Speaker 10: And I think if you're out there.
Speaker 12: And you don't want to be you're just asking for an injury, You're asking for a bad outcome. You've got to be all in to survive, not just thrive, but survive.
Speaker 2: In the NFL, what's the Combine's future.
Speaker 12: Well, fortunately, guys like Jerry Jones to have realized the prospect of making it a traveling road show, which was a hot topic five or six years ago. That's died down because we already see coaches not go if this thing was less convenient than it is in Indianapolis. And it's perfect in Indianapolis. Everything is close together, the city isn't overrun by fans, The coaches, the scouts, they can they can get to where they need to be quickly. If it's in LA or something like that, you got to drive two hours here and two hours you'll have fewer coaches go.
Speaker 10: I think what.
Speaker 12: Happened Dan a decade or so ago, it felt like the Combine was on a trajectory to become a massive offseason tent poll for the NFL. I think we've gotten to the point where it kind of is what it is. You know, last year on the Saturday for the quarterback, receiver and running back workouts average four hundred and eighty four thousand viewers. That's nothing as it relates to what the NFL usually does, So I think they recognize.
Speaker 10: It for what it is.
Speaker 12: It started as a way to get everybody together so you could do medical examination of all the players in one so you don't have to drag them all over the country and getting poke, poked and prodded here and there. I think people recognize it for what it isn't and they recognize it for what it is, and I think it's going to stay in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio's latest novel, Big Shield, available. Of course, it's not about the NFL. It's on it. Oh, it is about the NFL.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been seven months. What the hell I mean?
Speaker 2: You're not worried. You're not worried.
Speaker 10: I'm not worried.
Speaker 2: Stand on statute limitations. Available on Amazon in ebook form for only ninety nine cents. It's a tale of the mob and pro sports in the age of legalized gambling. And it might be based on the NFL. They might be Thank you, Mike, and the NBA.
Speaker 10: Thank you Dan.
Speaker 1: We'll come back with more phone calls right after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Top of the hour, We're going to play the quarterback Reclamation game. Which quarter back has the best chance for a reclamation. We'll have that for you at the top of the hour, Yes, Marvin. And at the end of next season they win the Donald Yeah they Sam Donald. Okay, yes, the Sam Donald Memorial Award or whatever we're gonna call it, although that sounds weird to call it Sam Donald Memorial. Still he revitalized his career, still very much alive. Let's see Curtis in Illinois had Curtis, what do you have for me today? One DP?
Speaker 11: I kind of want to disagree with you a smidge on your love for Kyler Murray. I don't think he's the guy yet that can take over a franchise because he hasn't really proven anything. So I think for the Vikings, their moves should be to trade for mac Jones because for the money, it's not that much more if Kyler's going to get.
Speaker 2: The league minimum.
Speaker 11: Mac Jones is on the second year of a two year deal for like four point seventy five this year.
Speaker 2: But why would the Niners trade mac Jones.
Speaker 11: To get to draft capital out of it? Because if I'm the Vikings, I'd offer a first or second round guy because I think if mac gill.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, if you're going to give a first round pick, uh, I don't think the Niners would trade Mac Jones because you've got maybe the best backup quarterback in the league, and he's under contract, and you got Rock Perty who missed games last year, and you're a team that is expected to win at least ten games this upcoming season. So I'm not saying Kyler Murray is the man, though, Curtis. I'm saying, at that price and that coach and that talent, it's kind of like a free tryout here. Let's see what else do we have here? Blake and Long Island. Hi, Blake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 1: Hey Dan?
Speaker 13: Sixth even two hundred towns? And a couple quick questions about Rick Patino's squad, John's what's your opinion on them making a legitimate run this year in March Madness after last year's disappointing second round exit at the number two seeds. Also, a few periods back, you did an interview leave it with Jim.
Speaker 2: Got a bad connection there, Blake. I don't have high hopes for Saint John's last year. I did, and then all of a sudden it got weird in that game and watching them play against Yukon and they couldn't make a basket for like they've missed their last twenty four shots. I have a lot of confidence in him. I just don't think this team is better than last year's.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mark, Yeah, last year dur An NCAA Tournament Patino benched the Biggiest Player of the year.
Speaker 7: R J.
Speaker 2: Lewis Lake. Yeah, I know, I'm sorry. What what's going on here? So weird?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean it was almost like Belichick with Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl, Like what happened here?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 2: Brian in Ohio? Hi Brian, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 14: Thanks so much for taking my call. I wanted to share a funny memory that I have. I know there's been a lot of talk about Miami, Ohio this morning, but I actually went to Miami Ohio.
Speaker 2: Graduated in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 14: In two thousand and seven, I was a junior and had the privilege of escorting you around campus when you came to talk, and it was myself and a professor, Climban that picked you up at the Cincinnati Airport. We went to TGI Fridays for lunch and then went over to the ice rank, met with the athletic director, went to the President's house at dinner, and then you spoke to the university that night. And funniest moment I remember was you got up there and you mentioned earlier on the show that your girlfriend went to Miami Ohio. Well, her son also went to Miami of Ohio and graduated with me, and you called him up that night, and so he stood up, he starts walking up and you go to daddy and manages the crowd up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, felt bad about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jenny Batchie's son, and what a great kid, And I go, I might be your dad, and the crowd erupted. Yeah, it wasn't a great thing to say, but I mean it got a good reaction though. Yes, Paul, I heard.
Speaker 6: He's got a good jumper and doesn't pass a lot.
Speaker 2: And he's got nice hair.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Jenny is happily married, and I'm happy that she's happily married, are you.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely comes from a wonderful family, some of those striking women. I think I've ever seen her sisters and her It wasn't fair, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: What do you think happens after we do a segment like this back there? You probably get some feedback off yeah, I do want to say too much, but someone's texting her her sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, she should take it as a compliment. I haven't seen her in probably fifty years, but she probably still looks the same. Huh. My wife's not really big when I bring up you know, Jenny Batchie. But you know, I say, han, it's just part of the show. It's just content. It's just a bit. She goes, Yeah, we kind of bring her up a lot, don't you. I go, no, no, no, not that much. Yes, tonh that's a bit awkward. Dustin in Alabama, Hi, Dustin.
Speaker 15: Hey, thanks for taking Colin gods. Two quick comments and then pott of the face, Bess you got time one Today Mark's twenty seventh anniversary that we marched forth and I joined the d MC club, so especially today for me. Second, regarding Fritzie's comment on the Tgo Golf sim golf, Yeah, I don't know if it's gonna keep taking off and being popular on TV. But I know me and a lot of kids I coach you golf that it simulator golf leagues have become real popular down here, so I think could be something great. And then on that note, i'd love to hear. I listen to both of the podcasts this week. I don't know if they're good, great, or what, but I cannot stop listening. So maybe that could be a topic part of the face bet. I feel confident in shuck in New Orleans this season. Just bought season tickets for the first time. And part of the face bet that the Saints win the NFC South and win a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, who wants some piece of dustin there? The Saints make the playoffs and they win a playoff game. Oh, I got three four dns. All right, I'm actually rooting for the Saints. I'd be rooting for them to make a playoff, win a game, Tyler.
Speaker 7: Show, win a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got I know? All right, All four dnn's going again to dustin the reclamation game. We'll have that for you. Top of the hour, Which quarterback best chance for a reclamation this year? Who's this year's Sam Darnold? Final Hour right after this