Speaker 1: And That's what you Really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what You're Really miss Podcast, Season three, Episode eighteen.
Speaker 2: Hello Kevin, Hello Jenna, This is Choke. I was excited for this because I didn't remember who choked, right saying, I knew somebody was gonna choke.
Speaker 1: Oh I do. There's a lot in this episode, and Tina does a lot in this episode, so I have like a lot of memories.
Speaker 2: Great, I'm excited to hear them because I did not have a lot to do in this episode. But I really enjoyed this episode. I gotta say, it's a wacky episode in a lot of ways, but I had fun. I enjoyed it, and I was texting. I was texting Jenna during it because I was just like, come on, yeah.
Speaker 1: I forgot that was in this episode. Two I did too. I gasped, You've never been better. Oh my gosh, oh crazy? So walk Oh yeah, you were great. You were a star. Lets to talk about This aired on May first, twenty twelve. Somebody that I used to know is still number one, and Think Like a Man is still the number one movie.
Speaker 2: And in Glean News, this week. On May first, the NHL Stanley Cup, the real Stanley Cup visited set because Corey's Canadian.
Speaker 1: The real Stanley Cupp obsessed.
Speaker 2: With hockey, and so he managed to get the Stanley Cup on set in the locker room and we took a picture of it and you can see the picture online.
Speaker 1: He is so happy. He really was very cool. It also is so random. They're like, who do we think we are? We like request the Stanley Cup and it like shows up. Well, Corey was right, it worked. I know, it's really it's really exciting. He was really happy, but I'm just it just it's still like it fogles my mind a little bit looking back at it now. Like at the time, we're like, oh, this is really cool like that, of course I'm going to get pret like this is really fun, but like now you're like, I requested the Stanley Cup and it showed up? Who did we think we were? What did we think we were? I love it. Corey tweeted about calling it the best day ever. If you didn't say that already, it's very very cute. Also, on My first the cast and creators attended a special screening and Q and a panel held by the Television Academy at the Leonard H. Goldenson Theater in North Hollywood. Do you remember this, Kevin, I passed that building all the time, and I remember it. I don't know what the hell I was wearing. I don't know what I was wearing either. Here's the thing, though, The truth is, there were too many events to hire stylists for. Like you had to be picking. You had to like pick and choose the big ones, right, so we of them. We would just like dress ourselves after like a fourteen hour work day. And you're like, all right, I guess this works. And you're like I don't even care. Like I don't even care, you know, And then you look back ten years later and you're like, I should have cared. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Because I was in that boy band before this, and I was looking back at those pictures at this time, I was like, oh God, I made a mistake. I needs to not do that again. I thought I was doing the right thing this time.
Speaker 1: See, I think you look good almost what I was doing. But our producer stands that you're both sporting your finest business. Yeah, like this is our nine to five. Look, well, it is our nine to five, I guess so crazy, except it was like six to two, right, Okay. This episode was directed by Michael Uffndaal. This is the first episode with us Michae Opfndahal ended up doing a ton of American horror story yeah and a few glease is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: Written by Marty Knoxen and special guest star Whoopy whoop whoopee, who I still think is not real.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to me that she was on our show and so nice.
Speaker 2: Must be nice to have met her. You didn't never met I've been on two shows with.
Speaker 1: Her, Jenna, I've never met her.
Speaker 2: I've never even seen her, so sad. I saw her tour bus in the parking lot. I never saw her. I heard all of you coming back with stories. I even went to look for her one day when I heard she was on the song Kevin and I went to around the stages. She was nowhere to be seen. Than I got back and they're like, oh, yeah, she already left. So she left when I was looking for her.
Speaker 1: No, Kevin, I'm so sad for you. Who Yeah, me too. I have this photo of cast chairs for in an upcoming episode. I think it's after props. I think it's like episode twenty one maybe where Tina helps Rachel and we encounter carbon Thibodeau and we have scenes with her. So I have like other scenes with Whoopee, and I have like a photo of our cast chairs, and it's like Lea, Michelle don Ashwitz, well you go for Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait it when we get to that, I'm gonna yeah, so many questions. Yeah, okay, but it was so like just even seeing her in this episode was well, very cool.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. It's such a good get and also fun. Fact so we learned this about Whoopye when she came is that she's based in New York, I think, and she's a terrified of flying. I mean, and I'm not saying like oh, I'm kind of scared, like I get on a flight, Like I'm kind of nervous. She won't fly if she really doesn't have to. So there's like a tour bus that will like take her cross country and drive her so to get to come and shoot the show. At least this episode, they put Whoopee on the tour bus and like get her across because I guess if she has to fly, she has to fly, and I'm sure she takes drastic measures to do so, but she does sometimes. Yeah, no, of course she has to. But yeah she travels to la by tour bus. Just a long trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially just for like one scene. So there's a lot of music in this episode. Okay, schools Out by Alice Cooper Seboctango.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, Jenna, do you love? I love? Really? Oh my god, I just I wish I could have done it again. I would have done things maybe a little differently.
Speaker 2: Oh don't I'm going to make you feel the opposite you were phenomen I'm not the boy next door. The rain in Spain, Weird, shake it Out and Cry by Kelly Clarkson. And then there's also music of the Night and a little bit of Don't Rain in My Parade. We didn't see Quinn in this episode. This is the first time Quinn is absent from an episode because Dana was closing Bizz. She was going to get that movie. She had that movie with the den Right. She flew to France to audition for the family.
Speaker 1: Yes she did. Respect. This is the first time that Puck has sung since Yes No, And this is the first time you speak in a full song since extraordinary Marry chriss, Wow.
Speaker 2: Damn, and he's sang a lot in this he did. This is the second time this season that Will doesn't give an assignment. The first is Lady Music Week assignment that Finn gave. It's also the only time Sue gives one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what she's doing giving the assignment, but it's fine. In the beginning of this episode, Rachel mentions that she won't drink any milk as it makes her flemmy before her audition. But if she was a vegan, like Rachel Berry has said before, she wouldn't drink milk anyway. So continuity jokes, We love a joke, Love a joke now.
Speaker 2: The scene where Rachel choked allegedly came from Leah's fear during the Glee concert tour. Leah claimed that she used to call Executi producer Dante di Loretto and said to him that she was going to mess up one night and she was scared of it happening. She was interesting, Yes, she was scared of that happening.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then do you remember when we got to La on tour, It's like she didn't mess up, but that morning she woke up and like something was wrong with her voice, and so she was like, I saw the fear in her eyes. We had two shows and she was so paranoid that she wasn't going to be like she can do that shit in her sleep.
Speaker 1: She's so good. She was fine, just power through. Yeah, Oh my gosh, Okay, that's interesting. I didn't know that. This is the third time that something bad happens to Rachel in the eighteenth episode. So she suffers from there and tonsilitis in laryngitis. She got her nose broken by Finn and born this way, and now she jokes in her niata audition.
Speaker 2: So when Rachel sings, I was wondering about this. So when she sings under the Rain in My Parade, the audio recorded on set is muted in editing and replaced with the studio recording. However, the original audio is reintroduced to soon in Rachel's second attempt at the song, causing her to sing the words skies that twice with awkwardly overlapping vocals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you hear that? I didn't catch it? Oh I got it. It seems so glaring to me. Yeah, I didn't. I'm an idiot. It is interesting. This is the first time since the Pilot that Kurt sings a Broadway song that was actually were for a boy. Oh my god. Well this number that he does is really great. And I also forgot TEENA was in this as well.
Speaker 2: Right in those regionals outfits.
Speaker 1: Yes, in our Journey regional outfits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also love it. I'm like, oh, here's the first time this makes sense. Recycling outfits have already paid for.
Speaker 1: Right, right, exactly. We also wore those on X Factor as well. Yes, you're right.
Speaker 2: Carmen Thibodau mentions being Alive from Company before Kurt auditions and swan song. Next season, Kirk performs that song as a second audition for YadA.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Why does he have to audition again? Silence, That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh he must not get in. Oh okay, are we the right ones to be hosting this podcast?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. Have you just figured that out now? No? But you know it makes me feel better when like Ian and Brad are like, I don't remember that, and I'm like, okay, Ryan bombers everything. But Ian and Brad are like, did this happen kind of I might have to look and I'm like, Okay, at least it's not just us.
Speaker 2: Ryan really does. Because so I talked to Ryan the other day and he was like, how's the show going? And I was like, Oh, it's great, blah blah, and he's like, where are you, Like we're like in season three? He's like, what happens in season three? I was like, well, we just did Whitney. He's like, right, there's Whitney and he just lists off like five episodes off the top of his head and he's like, oh, yes, I really love that. And he's like, oh yes. And that scene with Leah and Naya in the hallway is because like they had become such good friends, and so we wrote that like how do you remember steel Trap like specific instances?
Speaker 1: Wild? Yeah. It was like five minutes of him just rattling off memories. Man, it must have made you feel really good about your memory. Oh yeah. I was like, great, So you want to come back? Okay? So shake it Out. Originally was meant to be Love the Way You Lie by Rihanna. The song was recorded, yes it was, and not released to the public. So this was actually recorded by Chris Pooley. So Chris Pooley did all of our tour music and he was in the band, and Ginger, his lovely wife, was also in the band with us on tour, and Chris did like all of our live performances. When we would go and do like the White House and stuff, he would come with us. And I don't know what was going on, but I didn't have either of the Anders, and we went to a totally different recording studio. We did Love the Way You Lie, and obviously every producer records very differently, you know. Alexander is like very specific, line by line note by note sometimes like you just have to get it right. And Chris was like, do you want to sing the whole thing all the way through? I was like, oh damn, yeah, I can't do that. Oh damn. So I did do that. We recorded this all the way through, and then we would go and punch stuff as needed. But I mean, you know, we definitely punched a lot. But it was also really fun to like sing a song that you can sing all the way through, Like it was so fun, and I really love this number. I listened to this song a lot just because like it's always such an honor to sing with Amber and I like, it's just my favorite and then shake it out happens so quickly. It was like one night we had to go record it because they found out we didn't We couldn't get do love the way you lie that it wasn't approved, And it's very it's not often that you record the number and then it gets scratched.
Speaker 2: I imagine scheduling just had to get it done because we could probably get rights to almost everything. So they were just assuming we.
Speaker 1: Would right and like like tell him too, like Amber Lee and I recorded as well and not got cut. But we have that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This episode earned Dot Murray Jones a Primetime Emmy nomination for US Standing Guests Actress in a Comedy Series.
Speaker 1: Yes it did, Dot, Yes, absolutely, I remember when she went to the Emmys this year. What happens in this episode, Kevin.
Speaker 2: So, Rachel, and Kurt finally get their chance to audition for the New York Academy of Dramatic Arts aka Niyada. Meanwhile, Puck makes a decision about his future after meeting his father.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, A lot of stuff happens in this episode, Interestingly enough, though it's streamlined enough that it actually does follow the typical ABC storyline yep, right, Like sometimes in our episodes there's liked ef but this is actually more concentrated, which is why I think like it's more enjoyable because it's a little less to take in. Yeah, okay, let's start with Puck.
Speaker 2: So Puck has to pass one final geography test European Geography test to be able to graduate, and very much in Puck's nature, he tries to flirt with the teacher. It's wild and she's like, no, the only way I'm passing you is to pass actually, like just study and take the test, and he gets pissed and is like, I'm not going to do this. I'm going to run away singing schools out for summer and disappears, leaving like I guess only the guys care. The guys and the girls are very much divided this episode. There's two things going on, right, But it's a lot of Puck and there's a lot of him singing, and he's very good. And big numbers, huge numbers that schools out for summer.
Speaker 1: Number on the football they switch to the football. If you guys said, oh oh wow, I said, budget that is a budget, But I honestly like it needed that, right, Like it needed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that left, I feel like there hasn't been one of those in the while.
Speaker 1: Right, I loved. I love those numbers.
Speaker 2: They all have like the right makeup on, like the Alice Cooper makeup and everything.
Speaker 1: That's pretty great, pretty great. Yeah. Puck goes to clean one of his client's pools and his dad shows.
Speaker 2: Up, scary because we've never really heard about his dad.
Speaker 1: Never, And I was like, Oh is his dada? So who is this? And unfortunately we don't need to know because he's he's a bad dad. It's a bad dad. He's not there for Puck. He only shows up when he needs money. And you got and the guys all stage this coup for Puck that you're gonna intervene before he What is it? What is he gonna do? Where is he going? Oh, he's going to the pool to know he's going to be there, and you guys are going to stop him from going and make him take this test. But then he shows up during.
Speaker 2: Because he doesn't he doesn't want to be like his dad, and so they do a study cram session, which leads us to the rain in Spain. I had completely forgotten about or blocked out such a weird, weird number.
Speaker 1: The number itself is weird because taking out of context of the show, it's just really strange, right, Like the song is just not It's not like a song that you're like, oh, I love to hear I love this song. No.
Speaker 2: It also felt like several times in this episode songs were put in. The song was an idea, and then they built a storyline to get to the song where it felt like, oh, let's have him fail his geography test so then we can sing the rain in Spain. Like somebody really wanted that ugly right right right, that's what it felt like.
Speaker 1: Interesting the Yeah, we could have done without n in Spain. But I do think that when he takes the test, it's very endaring. Yeah, funny, he's like, easiest test ever. That's not a song. Then it's a real question. Yeah, I mean it was time to get Puck a little a little love and a little storyline, I guess, and really leaves the cliffhanger, doesn't it. Oh, yes it does, we'll get there, m h. But Puck really needed this to pass this test to graduate, so he got.
Speaker 2: A big ol' f I like when the boys and the girls band together, though I do too. This is one of my favorite things. So it was nice to have like the group together, like Finn leading a nice thing for everyone to like, we got to get our boy.
Speaker 1: Do you red remember shooting rand in Spain or recording it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember. I remember rehearsing it because it wasn't like a regular dance number. The band's not there like they because it's late at night. Also, how are they in school at midnight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I mean we broke in to school later playing and Samon Tina, So I don't know. I guess it's possible. Yeah, there's a lot of Breecurity is a real loose there twenty well two thousand and nine, twenty twelve, not twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: No, but it was just it was like a lot of because it's one of those fun ones. We're just jumping around. Well I wasn't, but everyone else was, and.
Speaker 1: You know, free from rockout. Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Because you know, the boys we weren't so talented in the dance department, it just would have been weird to like have a lot of choreography too.
Speaker 1: No, no, for sure. Yeah, it doesn't need it, it doesn't lend to this story. No, it's very much more like we're masculine. Yeah. So during during Rachel's very beautiful rendition of cry, we find out the book gets an f it's going backwards. Rachel singing cry because she chokes at her. That was really hard to watch. That was a good choke. Mm hm, that was excellent the whole that whole storyline I really liked. And Mike uppend All, like, kudos to him for like his storytelling in this episode. And I guess the writing too, like all of it. Like it's really clear, it's really really clear, and it's character driven, Like everything is character driven in this episode. So Rachel, Rachel chokes and she sings, don't read on my Parade to crime and Thibodeau, and she messes up the lyrics, and she lets her start again, and she messes up yet again, and then she begs her to let her do it again, and Karmen Tippotto says, nope, nope. So Rachel's audition that she's been working towards, dreaming of dreaming for moving to New York right now is dead. I mean her pleading and crying. Oh.
Speaker 2: I also have to say, it's really nice to see Rachel be challenged for a different circumstance where everyone's so used to high school. All these characters like they know the lay of the land, they know the social standings where they fit in, and Rachel very much owns her space and that and so now it's like this is her first brush with reality of the world outside of McKinley, right, and she's.
Speaker 1: Gets the first you know, a lot of things happened to her, right, like she has you know, she she always gets the solo and if not, like she's taken the soul is taken away from her, gets a solo, somebody else gets a solo. Like a lot happens to her. She gets her nose broken, like she you know, all these things, but but she this one. She she creates this, right, like this is her problem, this is her mistake, This is on her. And it's really interesting to watch because you don't see that a lot in Rachel's perfect world. No, right, I guess, which is kind of what you were saying, like, yeah, there's like a reality to it, and it's it's a much bigger reality because the stakes are so high for these guys.
Speaker 2: So high, And think about every single episode she's been in this season, eighteen episodes, there's just been this confidence of like, I'm watching New York never gets that. Oh, like Finn's whole storyline has to get figured out because what does he want to do? Because Rachel's going to New York exactly and she's going to New York, so like what does Kurt want to do?
Speaker 1: And it was like Leo just smashed totally, totally the really great good And then Kurt also is also auditioning for niAA and he decides he's going to sing Phantom of the Opera, so he sings Music of the Night. It's a seminal classic, it's some Broadway classic. He it's a safe option, it's also a boring option. I like, whatever, okay, and Tina is is uh Christine that Jenna? I lost my mind. I remember it. It was actually really fun to film because I was just being like entranced and like being like a rag doll basically, So I had fun with it, but that way was so itchy and so it looked great, though I remember for some reason feeling like I wasn't originally supposed to be in that like it wasn't originally, but somehow there's there she is.
Speaker 2: I gotta say maybe it's because they were like such a good friends with Hitchcock that I feel like any of those moments where they could like fit Tina in to like just have her do more, they always like, especially him, like always wanted you to do more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like it a funny one that was really funny. I love that. Yeah, we had fun with that one. And Darren was there and he's watching, and so I remember also like it was just the three of us in the scene and it was just really fun to do. But then Rachel says she'll do She'll be his Christine in the audition if he does that song, and she convinces him not to do the song that he his instincts are telling him to do, which is not the Boy next Door from Boy from Us. Okay, let me tell you. I saw this this musical on Broadway with you Jackman, and oh my god, was he so good. He was exceptional exceptional. It was amazing, It was truly amazing. I that's when I was like, Okay, he's got like this guy.
Speaker 2: Is like a trible threat he can actually do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love this song he does wear like a gold like thong in it.
Speaker 2: Basically is the number similar, like how Chris is dancing to like what he was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I think I think so. It's it's it's similar tone, vibe, very like, kind of sexy, showy similar not not with three lovely ladies behind him though, which who has backup singers and dancers in their auditions and their college auditions? I wish I had that.
Speaker 2: Right in like a full set, a full band, like laughing Christmas really dancing, oh my god, like high cakes across the stage on his knees, on his back.
Speaker 1: Twirling, jumping. I remember him doing this and like this was a big one for him. It was a lot, and I remember him working really fucking it looked great. He looked so great. Yeah, it's really really great. He decides he's going to do Music of the Night, and he says he's going to do it, and then he changes his mind and he does not. The boy next door and Carmen Tibodo says, what a great risk to take.
Speaker 2: I have a question because you did musical theater in college. Yeah, you've auditioned for musical theater things. When Rachel was convincing him to She's like, I can do don't ruin my parade in my sleep basically right, like this is not the time to take risks. Do something you know and that will showcase you. And he's like, my whole Kurt, you know, was saying, my whole thing is that I always have taken risks. That's how it's gotten me this, That's what's gotten me this far. I was like watching him like I'm of two minds because I I don't remember what happened because I see Rachel's point. But you, as somebody who has done this professionally and in school, do you would you have gone the Rachel way or the Kurt way?
Speaker 1: The Kurt way really always yeah, I think for me, I always always taught, and I was always brought up in the camp of like don't do on my own right, don't do like I don't know what else, there's an other song. There's like a list of song that you should not do because they're just done, overdone, and nobody wants to hear them over and over again. So the odds are that like five out of ten are probably going to do that song and they could do it better than you, So why not do And look, if somebody wants to do on my own and you think you can, you're you can do it the best and that's the best representation, or you do it. I just think the way to go is not to take a risk that's so far from who you are or who like what you want to showcase, but like do something different that showcases and emulates you. But that's not so typical because you also want to like get people's attention in an audition room and you want their ears to perk up and not go and like, I haven't heard this song done like this or I've heard this song in a really long time versus this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you fall into the category of five people did.
Speaker 1: And like which one was that? Exactly? One thing? Exactly? So the book was like a huge like building your book was a huge thing that we did in college to make sure that you had an array of choice and variety. Is building your book.
Speaker 2: All these songs that you just have that you know how to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So if you're in an and they say do you have something else? You have to be able to go to that book, turn to the page, show the accompanist or the companists can be like can you sing this one? And then gets in there and you have to be able to sing. It better not be in your book if you don't know it.
Speaker 2: So when you go into musical theater auditions, you bring your book. Yes, this is this is why when I had to shorting Awakening and I went in with no sheet music, never mind a book, and they were like, oh.
Speaker 1: When she man, oh, I think I remember this. What did you say? Let it be? No? I did not. What did you think? Oh?
Speaker 2: He mean rhapsody like a jackass? Like it was karaoke and I was trying to prove something.
Speaker 1: We're always trying to prove something.
Speaker 2: No, but it was not you know what I mean? They were They all looked like I had offended them, like I had slapped their children in front of them. And then they're like, okay, you can do the scene or did you have something else?
Speaker 1: And it's like exactly, see you have something else and nothing else? Like you sure you want to do this?
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: It was bad, Jenna.
Speaker 2: Luckily, I'm sure they did not remember me. Probably had a good laugh or angry, and then moved on.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I auditioned for that Jimmy Buffett musical and when you were staying with me in New York to sing fins and it was too high for me, and I should have just said I'm not going, but I went anyway, and I sang that song. It was nine am and it was not good. Fins to the left, finst the right. That's actually probably being nice about my voice. That anyway, walk out and you're like, what am I doing with my life? Always? Why am I here? Okay, but she choked in that audition. He choked in that audition. Rachel choked in her audition. So Kurt Kurt does Actually he makes a splash and he sham moves the shit out of his song, and and Whoopy loves it. Whoopy loves it. Sher power. I mean, she only has to say a few look at you. Yes.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh the other storyline, look more, Coach ros I more more.
Speaker 1: I just want her. I was so excited to work with her finally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so Santana and the girls are wiling out like making fun of Coach Beast black Eye, saying that, oh she must have gotten hit by her husband, which is crazy and very unlike the girls, and Coach Roz hears it and it's like, no, no, no, no, we're not doing this putting you on my list, and then calls little Pow Wow with Sue and Beast like, we got to teach these girls a lesson, tells Shoe and then that's how Sue, you know, teaches the lesson this week because he's like, what they wouldn't do that. She's like, no, they did, and we need to teach him about this. And then they have you guys choose a number to represent this go, you know, women being strong and independent, and the girls choose so luck tango. Actually, before we get there, I just wanted to say that the teacher's lounge scenes.
Speaker 1: So good. All of them together is just everyone insaulting everyone. It's so funny and they have to do with very little effort. Yes, do such an incredible job, and it's remarkable. Black Suit. I I can hear Nini saying her lines yes to us, like I can hear them back because they're so they were so memorable to me, and the way that she delivers thembre so memorable, and I remember, but she's trying not to laugh the whole time, and like, n I was so excited because she loved me, me, like we had such.
Speaker 2: A good time with Meani. Your guys' reactions are incredible. You all looked shocked and terrified pretty much. But tell me about Subloctango because I felt like this is a long time coming, but you know, you were doing a musical show. Subloctango is one of the most famous musical numbers ever, and we have an extremely strong group of girls on the show, and it just felt like, Okay, when is this happening?
Speaker 1: And I felt like this is the reason why Unfortunately unfortunately, but I don't know, I didn't maybe because I was like too close to it. It didn't It didn't strike me the way that it struck you and the choice that they made with this song. But I think I was just so excited to do it because I was like, yeah, Selug, like, if we're gonna do cell Block, like you better make Tin a part of it because I would be so mad, so mad. Soul Book was really fun to do. Uh. It was really fun to record also, partially because you could hear all the other people who recorded, like the Pop six Oh, like I could hear them in my ear, which you don't normally get to hear your friends in your ears in the recording studio for some reason, and like the boy was that fun to do? And then like also to do like the talk singing monologue over over the music and to shoot it with Harry and like he looked so good. He looked great. Kidding god, what a fun day that was, I remember, and like Brooke was there with us, and I like it. It was also after like the movie came out with such a hit, and I don't know, it was just it was really awesome. Did you do the talking live? No? Wed that?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right, I thought, I know you don't think you were great in this, but like the details of what you're doing, Jenna are great. You even have this like limp neck head thing in one of the pieces and it looks just like the real thing. I was like, Oh, this girl grew up doing this. That's what it felt like. Like you knew you didn't need to be taught this, like you just knew how to do it.
Speaker 1: Thanks, And that's what it felt like.
Speaker 2: It I didn't like, you know me, I'll get I'll cringe and things and yeah, you know, I thought you were great.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks, everybody was.
Speaker 2: I wanted it the full. I wish it was just like ten minutes long.
Speaker 1: And all the women in the back and the thing the chairs were really fun. That was really really fun.
Speaker 2: If you did another tour that would have been in it.
Speaker 1: Oh I wish, I wish that would be fun. Oh man, imagine what the tour would have been like after season three.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what so good it would have been, Michael, Oh, that's right, Whitney Fleetwood, Fleetwood, Oh man, shake it out and sell blockedank go right.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of really enjoyable music.
Speaker 2: I feel like the encore would have started with the three of you doing an a capella to shake it out.
Speaker 1: Oh my, could you imagine? Wow? Wow?
Speaker 2: Fantasy list of shoe We definitely should make that list. Maybe an episode that we plan our fake season three tour.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do it, and then Beast comes clean. She had first had said that she got hit by back by a punching bag at the gym, and she admits that she actually was hit by Career, but he was very apologetic and coach Roz has shared her story about a family member who was also a victim of domestic violence, and coach Roz admits that, you know, one of her family members also was a victim of domestic abuse, and Beast was very moved by the girls coming together and you know, rallying around her, and she she thinks she felt like she owed it to us and when Sue and when she tells Sue about it, and she sometimes felt so wrong because like it's such a serious topic and yet Sue is making such jokes or surrounding it that are so funny that I felt so awkward to laugh. Yeah, She's like, what am I going to do? She didn't show up. She's like, you're gonna come to stay with me? Well, I got to get you out of that house. And Beasts doesn't show up. She's like, what am I going to do with those five chickens? And if don't worry, I have clothes. I have stuff for you to borrow. If you didn't bring clothes, I have a tent you can wear. Insane, my giant. It's really crazy.
Speaker 2: It was crazy all of those scenes that the three of them, everyone was just getting it. They made fun of.
Speaker 1: These teeth, oh man.
Speaker 2: But it was nice to see the ladies coming together to try to that's.
Speaker 1: Tight, Beasts, and also like for Doc to be able to get these the chance to do this this kind of acting, ugleie and get nominated for an Emmy for this episode, like for a comedy series. That's right. I'm also by the way, Coach Braz calling us our placeholder names. Oh my god, hat track Asian horror movie little Oprah, Caliente, Salsa Calian what Vanessa? It's dark? Oh god?
Speaker 3: Okay, Anyway, I obviously I have mixed feelings about the storyline in general, right because I just want beasts to be happy.
Speaker 1: Yes, why did she have to get the chat on like this? I know?
Speaker 2: And then she tells the girls. She comes clean to the girls, which felt a little will shuster, but it doesn't really because I don't know, there's a different relationship between Yeah, Beast in general with the kids and then Beast and the girls and ended up being really just because everybody's so good. I think it just ended up being a really nice moment. And then when you guys apologize to her using shake it out and good Lord, one of the best numbers in the history.
Speaker 1: Really, Yes, m that's nice.
Speaker 2: Fully you guys are insane.
Speaker 1: It's moving, it fits.
Speaker 2: But then also objectively it's just stupidly good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was just also off the It was so fast, like recording it so fast? Did Chris record this one? No? This was Anders? This was Anders and I think is of the turnaround too, Like it was so fast. I was honestly, verly excited because I love you know, I love Florence and Machine. I was like, you another Florence number, like great an Amber part two? Yeah, and then just add Niece. Yes. But recording this was actually really really fun and I loved recording this song. And then when we got to hear it, I was like, oh wow, this is actually I'm sad about Love the Way You Lie. I was actually really sad about Love the Way You Lie. But then I was like, okay, this makes up for it. Yeah, It's not like something that's like kind of lackluster or second best. It was. It's just as good, if not better. I think it held up. And so to shoot with Dot who had to do all of the crying, we really tried to be like there for her and like working with these women. The whole episode was actually really nice. It was like we had gone through this arc together, this had come out of nowhere, and you know, you try to be when the adults are working like you just like your shoulders are like you set you shoulders back a little bit higher, and like everything is like your posture is better, and like you just show up so being of service exactly, and especially like to Dot who's doing all the acting, and she was crying and it was all on her, and her coverage was like a lot of Andrew Mitchell steady cam around her back, around to us, around to her, very close up with her. And at some point I remember the music cutting out, like Phil like the playback cut out, but Dot was still crying and so we just kept singing. So at one point it was just me, Naya and Amber singing a cappella the song and it was so cool and we were just als singing our parts. Oh my god, and I was like, oh my god, it's live music. Yeah, and the three of you can sing like it was good. I was like, oh my god, like and we just kept going for her. Oh. So that's one of my main memories from that. Wow. Yeah, it was really cool and just to be there for Dot and like to sing that song with everybody. It was a good little conclusion to the episode that the strange storyline, I guess. But then I mean she goes back to Kuder, right, and it's like, I think Dot apologize or admitting it to the girls is actually really powerful because they had to know the truth, Like we had to know what was actually going on to understand the gravity of like our words in the beginning of the episode, right, at least that's how I saw it when we were shooting it anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that number was just beautiful and Dot was just like so simple, tears were just flowing.
Speaker 1: Sweet.
Speaker 2: You know what's special to is that you guys, so when you're recording a musical number, they're not recording sound, so like if the music cut out, the sound wasn't being recorded and you guys just sing it. So it was just it just lived for her in that moment.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right.
Speaker 2: So there's no dailies with audio of you guys, right, right, you guys.
Speaker 1: No, sadly no, But that's good. That's a good thing. Problem, Yeah, you guys have that oh sweet thought. Yeah, like not going to stop cut because of that for her. And then Leah does cry, which it's ridiculous, ridiculous, just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Right after like you choke doing it, perad and then you just sing that like that and cry like that, and I like that. I don't even know what to think.
Speaker 1: I know really good. I'm excited to see what happens.
Speaker 2: You too, I'm in, I'm fully in. I'm I think this season is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too. It's really living up to what everybody said.
Speaker 2: The fans know. You know, we don't, but the fans do.
Speaker 1: Let's cread these songs. Yes, I was waiting for this School's out, you know. I give that an A plus. Wow, I was gonna give it an A, but wow, I'll give the production value. Yeah, it was great, okay, cell Black Tango A A A plus if it was a longer version, okay, fair? And maybe not the storyline not the Born next Door A A Rain in Spain A. Oh, B.
Speaker 2: You said it was like such conviction because I was gonna change my answer to not the boy next Door.
Speaker 1: I think A plus. Okay, great, let's do it A plus for not the Boy next Door the Rain in Spain? B. What you give it A c mm hmm? Okay, yeah, fair, it's fine It's just not my thing, is it anybody's Maybe? I don't know. I don't like run jowing your run, so who knew? Who am I to judge? Right? I can trust you? Shake it out?
Speaker 2: I mean as high as A plus plus plus plus. It's like in high school. I had this my one of my best friends, Cleo. We were in the same English class and I had an A plus. Like I remember this test I got back. I got like a ninety eight or ninety nine. She got like an one hundred and six or something.
Speaker 1: That's not what it's like. This doesn't this stop at one hundred stop? But that's really funny.
Speaker 2: I think that's shake it out. Oh wow, okay, checkout is phenomenal. Wow, and I need to hear the full version after this is actually what I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Do, all right, cry, I give it a A A wow. This is a good great I would say a strong average of an A because.
Speaker 2: Of that C Yeah, everyone was really just going for it. Music of the night A Oh, that's right. Is that as comedy? I mean the fraction of don't rein in my parade? No, I don't plus plus plus Okay, that was so good, right because it hurt so much.
Speaker 1: No, right, in fact, it did its job. Okay, let's do some TARTI takes. Yeah, yes, all right. There's actually quite a few cringe moments. I think, cheez. There's a lot of racist ish jokes. Yeah, ross a couple of things that don't really sis, so does Jane. I think the domestic violence jokes, Yeah, that's not good either, although those we we do apologize for that, yes, but again doesn't make it acceptable. There was a lot of comments about beasts weight, Yeah, sweet beast. Yeah, let's keep to the let's keep to the keep. Yeah, let's stick to the like. Yeah, that's stuff that's not external. We don't talk about people's bodies, right, Okay. Best dance move I mean Kurt did some dancing.
Speaker 2: I know it's tap between cell blocked, tango and that right, right, Yeah, I think I'll go with Kurt.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think the dancing was stronger and Kurts and cell block was more of a storytelling.
Speaker 2: Like when is Kurt or Chris ever moved his hips?
Speaker 1: I like that so good.
Speaker 2: Best song shake it out, Jenna, Okay, you can say it.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at her lists, all right, I'll say it. I'll say check it out. Best performance by a prop. Okay, wait, we forgot. I forgot to talk about the fact that you were also in Phantom of the Opera? Was I you were with the smoke wish? Oh I completely forgot. I was like, yeah, it was a christ and I forgot you were flying by with that smoke machine. Oh my god, I think it's your smoke machine. That's wild. Best prop.
Speaker 2: Do you think smoke machine that you forgot? Actually I completely forgot. I like Kurt's Phantom mask because I also had one as a kid.
Speaker 1: Of course you did. Yep, uh best lye. There's a lot.
Speaker 2: I just want to say this, this is one of them. But Rachel goes, no, I vowed not to speak with you unless William and Kate got pregnant Liza past or unless one of us was in a grave one of us was in grave danger. Kurt Tommy lies is okay, Rachel, she's fine, But you're not.
Speaker 1: Coach Ross says you girls are Craig Ray. You're supposed to pick a song like a woman the self esteem encouraged to get the hell out of an abusive situation. But oh no, you pick a song about crazy women in their panties killing and men for chewing gum. She's right, She's right, it's not wrong. This makes me want to watch Chicago. Oh, I watched that all the time. It's a perfect movie. It really is a performance. MVP. Do honorable mention to Leah. Yeah, Chris also know it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say dot and then honorable mention to those two. Okay, great, it's a strong honorable mention though, truly. Yeah, it may be a three way tie.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Ship we found on TikTok this week. Shout out to the one and only Trixie Mattel because Trixy posted a picture wearing some flannel and the sound over it. You'll see and then the next slight is Bert Humble because they look the same. Tricksy's just doing bird Humble drag. That's all it is.
Speaker 1: That's funny, you know, it's so good. Yes, that's tricky. That's crazy. You ever seen Oh my god, that's so funny. Oh my gosh, wow Dragon reverse. Yeah, isn't it great? That is great?
Speaker 2: Look at that on Tricksy's Tricksy TikTok drags Superstar well best choke. So many great performances.
Speaker 1: Get ready for next week. It's Promisaurus you guys. Yes, that's an Eric Stults special. Yes, because Eric Stolt's always this prom God. I love a prom episode, do you I really do? I to watch? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah eighteen show Finn. You know that I love a prom episode. And I think our Prome episodes were good.
Speaker 1: Oh I do too, They're just hell to shoot. Yeah. Yeah, I'm trying to disconnect the two. Sure, I gotta be honest though, but with Eric doing proms like I have good memories from proms, like Promistars is crazy. You remember when Brittany comes out in the dinosaur outfit? Yeah, how could I figure the dancing like barefoot in the gym? And then the problem where I think I might be conflating problems, but the problem where you try it on my prom dress? Yeah, like behind the scenes remember that? Yeah? Yeah, we have good memories from proms. Okay, you're right. Yeah, because Eric really.
Speaker 2: Had like a system down, so we had a lot of downtime and we just hung out and had fun.
Speaker 1: So great, here we go. Okay, welcome back for promised ours and thanks for joining us, and that's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: By thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss POD. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.