Speaker 1: De Influencing Summer.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver your life.
Speaker 1: Here your hosts Jen and Jill. Welcome to Frugal Friends. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are deinfluencing all of the viral trends of summer.
Speaker 3: This is one of my favorite little series we've been doing because we talk about being able to deinfluence ourselves. But in the past we've kind of talked about it in this theoretical kind of way about the things you're probably seeing, how marketers do things, and all of that is still true and accurate, but now we're actually digging in and showing examples of where we're seeing this on the internet, on social media, and it comes so glaringly acute to realize whoa this is everywhere when you kind of hear some of the compilations that we've done.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to get into it. But first, this episode is brought to you by free things. Things that you don't have to spend money for, things that when you see marketing about them, it's not to pry money out of you. To create solutions to problems that never really existed. But there is a problem that does really exist that you can solve without having to pay for. And that's your four oh one k sitting out by its loansome at from a job that you don't even work at anymore, just getting charged fees. Maybe it's in investments that you didn't even pick when you were there because they change providers. You really do need to get in control of that money and get it rolled over into an IRA and capitalize. We'll do that for you for free. Head to Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash capitalize like capitalizing a letter, and you can manage that process with them absolutely free. That get paid by the brokerages wherever you pick to move your money. That's how they get paid. So it's free for you and you get to solve a problem that is an actual problem costing you money. Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash capitalize.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into how we're deinfluencing some of the viral trends of something.
Speaker 1: We're looking at this from three categories. Uh So, first let's talk about the categories and why we picked them. So we're going to talk about stuff travel and sales could be on both, but between vacations, sales and just having more time to shop in general, Americans spent over two hundred billion dollars on summer in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: And that's a massive number that kind of makes us be like, okay, but how much of that am I responsible for? Most of us saw an increase of three and a half percent on our travel spending from twenty twenty three to twenty four and a one hundred percent jump compared to the pre pandemic levels in twenty nineteen. So we are traveling so much more than we did when I prepreb that a val it.
Speaker 1: When I saw the numbers on what people were spending on travel in twenty nineteen compared to twenty twenty four, it wasn't just one hundred percent. It's one hundred and eighteen percent jump, which is we're more than double on summer travel than we did it thet when it was at its height in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe the three and a half percent is just keeping up with inflation, but the one hundred and eighteen percent increase from twenty nineteen to no.
Speaker 1: And so some of and social media is a big part of that. Retail was not left out behind. That's always a little less uh because people are compensating with their they're spending more on travel, so they cut back in retail, but still a two point three percent year of a year increase, and that is heavily driven by like more affordable things, lower cost things that are exacerbated by sales. Memorial Day, fourth of July Prime Day which is now an actual holiday, uh, and then back to school. So we are focusing on these three biggest leaks to your budget, travel, viral shopping trends, and summer sales. First up, vacations.
Speaker 2: We bought a vacation house in Mexico a few years ago that we try to come to as much as humanly possibles.
Speaker 4: If you want to be drinking April Spritz is on the Amalfi Coast this summer.
Speaker 1: I have the most insane travel deal. I can't gate keep this.
Speaker 3: This is one of the best family friendly vacation spots without having to leave the country.
Speaker 1: If you look for the perfect girl's vacation trip this year, then I've got just the place for you. You have Day four of our New England Summer vacation. I always talk about moving to Florida, and this is why I'm just on the beach. I have my burger here, beautiful. I just woke up at the beach house, and I want to show you guys, because it's my favorite place on earth, all right, So there is no shortage of inundation of people on social media telling you about the vacations they're on. Whether they're domestic or abroad, they're going to have the same basic setup. There's a beach, there's relaxation, there's ah, this is my favorite place in the world. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we are showing that that clip on YouTube, So if you want to kind of see the imagery along with it, definitely head over to our YouTube channel. But one of the things that stands out to me is you can hear what they're saying and be like, yeah, but what kinds of visuals are they giving with this? And all of it is pretty elaborate, very luxury, and so kind of giving this idea of this is the type of vacation that you should be having, and some of it is saying affordable, but we don't know to who, We don't know right now, and so then we can start to think like, this is what an affordable vacation should look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not taking into account variables like budgets and how many kids you have, and that a family vacation is not a vacation, it's a trip. It's work. You're still parenting, right, and you still like look at it and you're like, oh my gosh, Like if I was here, then maybe the trip wouldn't feel like work. Maybe you would feel like luxury. And that's just not the case. So for each of these trends that gets us to spend more money, we're going to talk about the cognitive biases in our brains that these social media videos target to get us to spend money we otherwise wouldn't have, or to up our spending in places that we do really want to spend and end up then over spending and regretting it. So the first one is the availability heuristic. So for this one in travel, the availability heuristic frequent exposure to travel destinations, whether it's fancy you know, Bali, Paris to Loom or even just like domestic beach places. It makes them feel more accessible even if they're far away or expensive. So even if they're not easily accessible via travel or budget. The more you see it, the more accessible it becomes to you. So sometimes on social media the availability heuristic is really good for us for inspirational content, especially in the financial world, we love to use this bias to just drown you with like debt payoff stories and budgeting hacks and successes and saving money. The more you see it, the more accessible it becomes. They use the same concept in travel to make these destinations feel more available.
Speaker 3: What's also happening here is something called projection bias, which is where we can imagine ourselves enjoying something more than we actually might, so overestimating how good it might actually end up feeling later, and this happens a lot, particularly with travel, and even other types of research can even indicate that we will often get more dope, I mean from the anticipation of the trip and how much enjoyment we get on the trip itself. So there's a lot of things at play here. But that's another draw that can happen is when we are really projecting how great that trip is going to be, and it's not helped by the fact that social media is encouraging you to think that life will be so much better if you book this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another one is nostalgia and escapism. Obviously, escapism is like textbook for travel content. Beautiful visuals and storytelling evoke a longing for either past travels, and we always have this like rose colored glasses when we're thinking about past travel. We don't remember the bad things, like how your toddler was crying in the middle of the night. I actually do remember those ones, but we don't remember like the things that stank. We only remember like the really great things. So it uses that and then making the experience feel more emotionally necessary. That's escapism. So travel contenters' contenters.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: Travel content creators will create stories around these destinations even when they don't necessarily exist. The stories, not the destinations, to make them feel like like a place that's going to solve your problems, Like you're not happy right now, and this place will make you happier, because that's what happened to me. I was unhappy and then I traveled to all these places. And it's not the end all be all. It's not going to solve every one of your problems, but it's going to solve probably eighty percent of them. Right, they're not being crazy when they're creating this, but they're being just outside of reality enough to make you believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's the thing. Most people are not going on lavish vacations. They are not spending an extreme amount of money every single summer. Ooh hawt Girl summer in Europe, ooh hawt Girl summer in Mexico, ooh Hawtgirl summer in.
Speaker 1: The Anlafee Coast. I have sixteen dollars in my bank account. It is Hot Girl Summer at Dollar Tree this year. Yeah, I would I would dare to say that it is mostly the content creators that are doing this, and it's the thing that we see it so much because it's their job, like it's their job to be either travel content creators or just like standard influencers, lifestyle influencers, and so they're taking these either small like these I don't know, I won't say small, but domestic trips. I saw some of these even in the mashup that we included clips were actually sponsored so they didn't have to pay for their stay. Otherwise they're doing it. A lot of it is a write off because they get to create content while on the trip, So it's not like most of us are not taking trips like this. I cannot tell you the last time I personally went to Europe. I don't remember. I think I was in college and that was a long time ago. So I love to do a little staycation. But yeah, like most people are not doing this, even though it looks like they are.
Speaker 3: Well, and even a lot of these influencers, for some of them, it's it's not even as regular as it might seem. We're just seeing so many influencers talking about this. But even if we do go to Europe, because I did actually last year and it was fantastic, but that's a once every five years type of vacation that we get to do. And so you know, if you were to be following my Instagram account alongside other people's, you might think, oh, this gets to happen all the time. But I think we're really trying to get de influence, bring us back down to normal life, and recognize we're not all doing this.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: So instead, be a tourist in your own city. Consider doing a SPA day at your local spa facility, Go to museums, get free passes from your library, go see a movie, go do some of the fun things that you don't do very regularly in your area as a way to really enjoy summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you do want to take a vacation, make it like a driveable staycation. I think back to when I'm thinking like nostalgia, I'm thinking back to trips when I was a kid, we never flew anywhere. We would always drive, and it was always like small. We would like stay in a nice hotel because we didn't have to drive, but even it wasn't like top notch for me, it was nice. It was probably like I don't know, like a best step above a Best Western or something. I was always thought it was like luxury because it wasn't my home. And your kids are thinking the same thing. It doesn't have We don't have to live on this like lifestyle inflation, you know, treadmill and just get better and better and better when we think about vacations, like we can do Europe, but like again, make it out every five to ten year thing. Start saving now, decide how decide where you want to go and how often you want to go, Like totally separate from what you're seeing on social media because most by the time it's on social media, it's probably oversaturated and not that great anyways. So yeah, I've never been to the Amalfi Coast, but I can only imagine how crowded it is in summer. So true. So moving on to viral trends.
Speaker 3: Ooh, this one gets a little bit juicy.
Speaker 1: This is my twelfth attempt trying to find the viral lobster beuted bad cookpreepants are going to be absolutely everywhere this summer. These are brand new summer arrivals from Target Perfect Turddak for the July and Ward. You want to stop smelling like crap and actually smell good this summer, this is the perfume you need.
Speaker 4: They're going to be the cool mom if you grab these sunglasses of this summer.
Speaker 2: By trending summer items to pick up right now, Besty Boom, I just created the perfect list of things that you need for Hockgirl summer.
Speaker 1: I'm not a gatekeeper, and these are things that I love that either make my life easier or make me feel cuter or both. Six reasons why this gedget is this summer's hottest product. You know, when we started outlining this episode, it was originally going to just be about the viral lobster beaded bags, because I was seeing all these people looking for these this specific lobster bag at TJ Max and Marshall's and they were like this woman who said she was on her twelfth store, she went further. I still think this was in April, and I still don't think she's found the lobster beat. I think she made it to like store eighteen, and she's like, like going to other stores, it's probably not even on trend anymore. No, I mean it's so that's the point, Like these viral trends are trends, and Lord only knows why anything goes viral, but these are all like you're going to be hearing so many like this is the must have of summer. These are like summer dress hall like this. And those viral beaded bags were not good looking. They did not look good. I made a mashup of just beaded bag TikTok's too, and it's not good. And these people at the end, one of these girls, and you couldn't hear it, Like she didn't say it out loud, it was just like a note on the video. She's like, I don't uh, I don't know if this is just like TJ Maax blindness, but this is so cute. And then on the video it said it was absolutely tjmax blindness. This is not cute. But that's how I see so many people I can like, I see so many people with these things that I've seen on TikTok and Instagram as trends, and they're not cute if you if you're not familiar that it's a trend on social media. I look at them and I'm like, why did why do you have that? What got you to buy a tiny shell bag that you have to carry the whole time. You can't put it on your arm, you can't put it down. It's gonna fall over, like if you open it, all your things are gonna fall out. But but here's the thing. I watched so many of these videos and by the end I was like, actually, the lime one's kind of cute. That happened to me too. With one of the I think they were seashells.
Speaker 3: And to hear me say it out loud, it is a little bit like what and it had these like it had like dangly fringe.
Speaker 1: My perception of what looked good, slowly shifted over time. It was wild. We were trying to debunk the thing and our minds were slowly getting roped into it. Yeah, I mean bell bottoms, right, am I? Right? Do you own?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But no? But you know what I might end because you just get worn down. That's the thing. Time when you see and your algorithm, if you watch something, it shows you more of it. Right, So if you see it over and over and over, you will just natch, really start to be attracted to it.
Speaker 3: So here's what's happening. There is a part of fomo going on here. That fear of missing out is alive and well and very real, and it's kind of what we're describing. Once you start to associate yourself with a certain group, you feel like you are like this person or the collection of people. This is what they're doing. Our sense of belonging kind of starts to take over our desire for connection, and we don't want to be on the outskirts of that. We want to be right there in it, feeling like we're.
Speaker 1: Riding the wave too. What you like? I like, we're having fun, we're all laughing together. So I'm getting a lobster bag, So I'm getting I'll add the bandwagon effect to that too. Yeah, that it's just we want to be connected to each other, right, and we watch for the people. And I think that was what I was seeing a lot of when I was looking at these trends, is that I was interested in the people more than the stuff, and then the interest in the stuff came as a result. And I saw so many people go in for these lobster bags that were very hard to find. They just went in because it was hard to find. They wanted to see if they could get it, they bought it. If they couldn't find it, they came out with other stuff or other beaded bags that were again not cute. So a lot of them, they feel like you're friends.
Speaker 3: It feels like you're coming along on a shopping trip with a friend, and don't we all just want that?
Speaker 1: And these women are so likable and relatable, and so you want to root for them and be part of that journey. So the next bias that this is playing into is social proof. So when a product has hundreds or thousands of glowing reviews, dupe tutorials, influencer messages, it signals that it's safe and smart to buy. And also the comment section. The comment section can be dangerous too. You're seeing just ordered mine, Oh my gosh, I love it, stuff like that. When you see that then and I'm thinking back to the fragrance video and the makeup video that was in the mashup, like you could just have not even used it, and you're just doing You're an influencer doing a video on it, and then people can come up in the comments and do the selling for you, and you like all of the people who like it, and anybody who doesn't like it, you kind of bury that comment, like that's how this thing works. That's how influencers get social proof on their videos. And we just cannot trust influencer social proof anymore because people are doing wing this for money, Like that's what all of this is. I don't know what the Marshals thing was. I think that was really just the fomo aspect of it, because you can't really monetize Marshals, but people with the target finds and all of the you know, the Capri pants you can link to your LTK to all kinds of capri pants, which I was shocked that Capri Pants left because I have long legs and like a lot of pants are just capris on me, and I was upset actually to know that they had left, but please to know that they've come back. They've never been my favorite, but all right, it's helpful if you're going to chew through whatever. Right, I never choose a capri pant, the capri pants choose me. They're not Yeah, they're not going to keep you warm, they're not going to keep they're not going to keep you cool. Who knows what they who knows what they do, but they're back for summer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's also scarcity and urgency at play here, so only a few left and stuff or back in stock now or hurry, don't wait, limited edition, all of these things kind of make us feel like I've got to get it now.
Speaker 1: Particularly for me.
Speaker 3: I've noticed the back in stock thing always does get an initial like, oh wow, so it previously sold out. Well, then I'm probably gonna want it before it sells out again. Good to know that that's a marketing trick, so we can hold it hold out.
Speaker 1: So if you're seeing this, if you're experiencing these hold up trends, come and go. Hold up really could really look to see if it is the TJ Max blindness, like just pause before you buy. Like I saw a girl walking out of TJ Max with like waal art, and she had like twelve different beaded bags and she went in for one beaded bag. It was not the lobster bag, but after watching all the lobster bag videos, found the one she wanted and left with all this other stuff. So you just got to know it's not viral trends coming go.
Speaker 5: So when you go to the search page on TikTok, oftentimes they will suggest like viral items, and today the viral item is TJ Max viral lobster bag. I do feel like we are just kind of combining words and I'm hoping it sticks. Next up, we're gonna have the home depot of viral lasagna, the Zara a viral a laptop case, hometown buffet, viral grippy socks.
Speaker 1: I really believe that this. I really believe that the Zara laptop case could actually be a thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm here think he's far off on that. I'm here for a hometown buffet grippy sock.
Speaker 1: You're just saying how many socks that people had given you. That's true. And you and but this is why I don't want them. I just want them to exist, hometown buffet. So here's what to do instead, it's gonna happen. Okay, turn off your phone, Go touch go touch grass, Go ground yourself in nature. That's I mean. Honestly, when we are oversaturating our brains with the same images over and over and over, we begin to believe with the voices behind those images are saying it just happens like it's natural. Our brains will do it. The more we hear it, the more we believe it. And that's a that's another cognitive bias that I forget the name of, but it's a confirmation bias. Yeah, so you have to turn it off. And that doesn't mean social media is bad. It doesn't mean you need to fast from social media or give up or anything. It just means that you need to like take a break and like, you know, kind of open your eyes from each your TJ max blindness, step.
Speaker 3: Away, allow yourself to recalibrate and experience reality.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: The third one is flash sales. These are gonna be happening all summer. You're gonna hear messages like this.
Speaker 1: Sharing some of my favorite Amazon Prime Day deals. That Happy Prime Day to those who celebrate.
Speaker 4: There is literally only one thing you buy up the Prime Day sale.
Speaker 1: This should be Amazon Prime Day. Here's everything you need you related lightning round of things on sale for Prime Day. Amazon Prime Day is coming up this Tuesday Wednesday. But obviously I'm biased. I think my amazon'st references the best. Do not check out on Amazon for Prime Day yet until you watch this. Happy Amazon Prime Day. One of the best days of the year. Copy Prime Day. This is my favorite time of the whole entire year. I look forward to these next two days.
Speaker 3: It is a little nauseating to see it all accumulated like that, like stacked on top of itself. To realize how many people are out there, some of it with images of just tons of boxes and bags in the background.
Speaker 1: Just the consumption. And again it is not people don't expect you to go on these crazy hauls like they do. They understand that, you know, they're an influencer. It's kind of like it's just twenty percent, like outside of reality. Again, so they're usually saying like these are all the things that I have and I love that are on sale for Prime Day. I saw that over and over and over. Another thing I saw was like them saying deals like very quickly. That's another thing, like when people are throwing things that you very quickly, your brain, the decision making part of your brain, can't properly process, and so you start to think, like you immediately start to think that you need this, and your brain doesn't have enough time to tell you you don't, so you can kind of like accidentally make purchases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are following victim to the these sales everywhere again in part because of urgency bias, like this is only on sale for a limited time only, run don't walk, last chance, and it kind of elicits this fight or flight response, like I gotta do something about this because I'm feeling stressed. Might as well do it, and whatever. If I don't need it, then I'll just take it back later.
Speaker 1: But right I can just return it. And like, how many times do you get something on Amazon and you're like, I'll just return it and then you don't. That happens to me at least once a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I am here for returning things. But if that's always the fallback, then that's not taking into account all of the added cost of that on the environment, on our communities to be having things shipped to our door, picked up from our door, taken back to facilities, thrown in the trash like there's a lot of there's extra cost to returning.
Speaker 1: Not to mention, Amazon scheduled it's annual book sale the same weekend as Indie Books Store Day, and they would not apologize for it or even acknowledge that's what they did. They could have done their book sale at literally any weekend of the year, fifty one weekends to choose from, and they did it on Indie Bookstore Day's great. Yeah, so it's not even like a question of should I buy all, you know, these clothes, and it's not just Prime Day. I wanted to do a mashup of the same quote unquote holiday just as so you could see. But it's Memorial Day, it's fourth of July, it's back to school. You're going to get the same things for every holiday. It doesn't it doesn't matter the holiday. And they're playing on not just urgency but also like hyperbolic discount framing. This was a new one for me, but essentially videos that are exaggerating the savings, so like I've got five one hundred dollars in my cart for under two hundred, and they're going to just say, like how much they're getting for so little using these manipulative practices to like get you to spend more. And Amazon's affiliate program isn't even great. The affiliate program for places like Amazon target all these retailers that do these sales, they are not great. So I don't know why people put so much effort into getting you to buy stuff like this unless they're getting flat fee paid, you know, And then they're also poorly disclosing the companies that are paying them to promote Like that last one that said that it was her favorite time of the year was actually sitting in front of like twenty boxes and bags at Amazon her and it was not disclosed that it was a paid at but she was paid in product that per the FTC that should have been disclosed, right.
Speaker 3: And finally, another thing that can be happening here is narrative bias. So anytime an influencer is using storytelling to kind of rope us in, you might hear phrases like I've waited three years to get this vacuum, or I regretted missing last year's sale and so now and attaching story to kind of draw you in and make you believe Okay, yeah, I don't want to make the same mistake as them, or I want to have the same type of experience. So these are the types of things that we can be keeping in mind. These types of biases that would cause us to purchase is what can help us to deinfluence ourselves to know here's what's actually happening, and then be able to discern do.
Speaker 1: I actually want to buy this?
Speaker 3: Okay, I recognize this bias is happening, but do I I still want it? Or no, no, thank you, I'm not gonna give in to whatever bia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the people who are trying to like present this authority, you know, we've got the authority bias. But that's also the narrative bias, where it's like I've been using this stuff and I love it, and this is the stuff that I love that's on sale for Prime Day. Like that's all bringing you into a narrative. It's also bringing you into believing their authority, but you honestly cannot trust that the story or the authority is actually true or it's manufactured to make money. Time and time again, we find that influencers are lying to you to get you to buy stuff. We did a whole episode on it, we'll link to it up here. And we just cannot trust people that we don't actually know, and so we should do this for every sale, but especially Prime Day. And you have to be a Prime member to participate in Prime Day, So we just want to give you a little extra encouragement to not participate or not have Prime. Okay, I get it, But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Amazon may thirty seven billion dollars just last year from Prime memberships alone. That's a lot of money, and yet most of us aren't even getting the two day delivery promise that we signed up for. That's why I signed up for Amazon Prime guarantee my two day delivery. And at this point it feels like less of a convenience and more of a habit, and I want to shop with intention.
Speaker 1: Shopping with intention, Amazon Prime is no longer a convenience. It is a habit, and that is what it was designed to be. Amazon may make a lot of money on Amazon Prime memberships, but it doesn't recoup the cost of what they it's a lost leader. What they get more more money in is your habit of shopping because you have Prime.
Speaker 3: So here's the solution. It is shopping with intentionality. It's also only taking advantage of sales when you actually need that item. Of course this can intersect with wanting it too, but when there's been thought about it, when you know that this is something that's going to solve a problem that you've been desiring for a long time. But also recognizing that nothing is a must have other than food, shelter, clothing.
Speaker 1: Nothing you can get on Prime Day is a must have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and recognizing that half of these influencers who are trying to sell you things are actually going to be returning whatever it is that they bought, or they got it for free, or they're not expecting you to buy all of the things.
Speaker 1: So keeping this in mind can be part of the solution. Yeah, we just hope that summer is an en joyable season for you, not one that you regret later, not one that becomes a stressor or one that leaves you feeling less than. Anybody that makes you feel less than the amazing, unique person you are is trying to sell you something, and so We just want you to take all of this and have the best summer that you can and not feel manipulated into spending money that you don't need to to have a really full life.
Speaker 3: Do you know what else is amazing and unique and inspiring and never makes me feel less?
Speaker 1: Then? Oh, I do the villa the week.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week.
Speaker 1: Maybe a baby was born and his name is William.
Speaker 2: Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore.
Speaker 5: That's bills, Buffalo bills, bill clan, this is the bill up the week.
Speaker 4: Hey ladies, I have been watching you guys for quite a while and I have to give you my bills of the week. And oh my goodness, So I've been paying on my cable bill. We've had the same cable plan for I want to say, over almost ten years now, and we've been paying to sixty one every six months. Every year I would literally call them get the bill to go down, and then the bill will creep right back up. So I decided this month we were going to cut off TV services because we can use streaming right guess what that saved us one hundred and sixty one dollars. We are now only paying ninety five dollars for internet, So I am so motivated to go ahead and now see where where else I can say on bills. But I love listening to you guys every single week. I pre ordered and received your book already. And yeah, my name is Davy. Bye, yay, Davy.
Speaker 1: That's so great. That is significant, so significant. What you can do with one hundred and sixty.
Speaker 3: One dollars a month is wild. This was actually one of our weekly money Moves recently, was to cancel something. If you're following us on Instagram at Weekly Money Move, if you're getting our front letter every Monday, we talk about our money move. We talk about it in the Sunday Reset so Forrual Friends podcast on YouTube, and this is the type of thing that we are talking about. When it comes to canceling something, it's getting creative and finding an alternative for that item. So it wasn't you depriving yourself, it's you recognizing there are other ways to entertain myself. And I can get one hundred and sixty one dollars back into my hocket after over ten years of something that sounds like it was just on autopilot.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a bit habitual.
Speaker 3: Maybe you thought, ah, I'm afraid of missing out on whatever this could mean, and I don't want to go through the hassle of it. But you finally did it and you freed up some significant cash. So well done, Davy. We're so excited about this one. If you have a bill that you want to share with us, if it has to do with canceling a bill or saving them bills, or a bill that you don't mind paying, you know the drill Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash bill.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to hear it. And now it's time for the lightning round shoot. Okay, what's a summer trend that you think is all hype? I love your answer here because I have a hot I just disagree. Uh but okay for me, this is I guess year round, but definitely seasonal decore. I just realize I don't. I don't think it's necessary. Jill, how much decore do you have in your house?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't, And that's that's why I think it's overrated.
Speaker 1: Like an all high Yeah, seasonal or non season.
Speaker 3: But I do see it as I and might be one of those kind of i'll put it out there trends or things people feel almost like obligated to do. I know people who are like got to take down the spring stuff and put up the summer stuff, got to take down the summer.
Speaker 1: Stuff and put up the fall stuff.
Speaker 3: Like in addition to changing out your wardrobe from from spring to summer, and in addition to figuring out all of your activities and still doing your meal plans, like to add the additional weight of I've got to make sure like my household decor and plants and everything are.
Speaker 1: Like up to date. I just think that's an unreach. That's another social media like fallacy that everyone's changing out their seasonal wreath and their seasonal door foot scraper and all their garland and their candles and everything. That's not what normal people do. It's not they were not doing it. Yeah, you don't go outside and touch grass, Go touch grass? Okay, what's yours? John Mine's water parks? I always thought that water theme parks are overrated. It smells, it's yucky, you have to buy special shoes for it, and it's scary. Every ride is scary. You cannot buckle into any of the rides. They are all scary. Okay, you really you were locked and loaded on that one. I knew it. I love water parks. They are so scary scary.
Speaker 3: I will do a water park one hundred times over before I do an amusement park like roller coaster rides.
Speaker 1: No, I can buckle into a roller coaster ride. You cannot buckle in sliding into a toilet bowl style oh, I love them, and then going fluh me down, baby, flush me down. I am not a poo. Give me had bike adventure, drop me off at the power of terror. Give me a seat belt, my lord. I think I hate water fun Okay, I always had the beach because I hate sand. But the beach is not overrated, is not hype. Yeah, I just don't like sand. Water parks are scary, yucky.
Speaker 3: I have gone to a water park for like a good amount of my birthdays.
Speaker 1: My birthday is in August. Uh, and I love water parks so much. And I'm so sorry that you're not gonna end up coming with me. Nope, nope. Well thanks everyone for listening. Uh.
Speaker 3: I feel free to share, whether or not you're a you're a water parker, roller coaster kind of person.
Speaker 1: Uh where will you share that with us? On Instagram? You know what? Follow us on Instagram? Tell us no on YouTube. I don't really care. Figure it out. She does care. Please please subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, tell us on YouTube this episode if you're watching it on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Anyways. We love we love reading your kind reviews.
Speaker 3: Here's something else we really like that Jen and I are not split on We both enjoy this same your reviews of our book, like this one from Britney Condas Happens to Be five stars. A great book for those interested in personal finance. This book is a solid ten out of ten. Jen and Jill are incredible and help make sense of how to spend and save in a way that each person can feel good out values based spending and what they are preaching through this book is all about aligning your spending with your beliefs, goals, and priorities and spending less on impulse or because of predatory marketing tactics. Reading the book and listening to the podcast has helped me to stay the course on my debt payoff journey and has honestly just opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking. I am so very grateful for finding their content. If you are reading this review, I hope that you take a leap of faith to purchase because it could change your life too.
Speaker 1: Brittany. Yeah, thanks you, Britney. Yes, if you have read the book and you have not left a review yet, we would so appreciate if you would do that over on Amazon, even if you didn't buy it on Amazon, and we are totally okay if you don't, but people do use it as a catalog. And if you haven't left rating a review for the show, then we would love if you could do that on Spotify And we'll see you next time. Bye. Google Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni. Tonight is Kai's kindergarten transition night, and he will be singing a song with his class that goes a little something like this. There was a great, big moose. He liked to drink a lot of juice. His name was Fred. He liked to drink his juice in bed. And then there's more to the song, but it's copyrighted. Sing that somebody gonna try to use my clip profit off of it without knowledge. It's gonna be so cute and I am so prepared to break down into tears. So he's this is like graduation. Yeah, it's instead of doing like a kindergarten graduation. I think they just do this transition night. Okay, so all the classes will do a song. The first grade teachers come and prepare you for you know, what to expect next year. So same school. Like, he's not moving right, and I'm fully prepared to sob because I sobbed at the preschool graduation. I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: At this life stage, it's kind of like every year there's some sort of very monumental milestone practically until you get to high school graduation. But it's like, yeah, he wasn't a cap and gown this time last year. I yeah, I named a cap and gown this year.
Speaker 1: No, they do get special shirts. Oh my god, I'm I'm losing it now just thinking about it. Oh I can't, I can't. I'm obsessed. Him getting older is a good thing. It's so good. I love him so much. I love him so much. He's gonna have such a fun boy summer. It's such a fun boy summer.