Speaker 1: Also media trudio muski to annoyse the intro.
Speaker 2: How do we do that? That's why you get you can hear them, Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, here we are. That's it. That's the introduction. That's all you're getting, and you will be grateful for it. It's it's me. It's Cherine Higgerene Hi, James Hi, Tarina. What are we? Are we doing vegetables today? Are we doing genocide? Which part of the vegetable genocide spectrum? Wheel.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're closer to vegetable than genocide, but you can argue the opposite as well, because I get eat it alive by these things.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we're kind of in the middle here. I think it's a good even metal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we've very split the difference. Look, let us go. Yeah, it's right, it's things to eat serene alive today is flesh eating bacteria day, It's not. Does not have a flesh eating bacteria that I thought we were doing. Yeah, yeah, I'd like to surprise you sometimes, just see how you act. We're doing mosquitos actually, scheren mosquitos Yep, yep. Little guys, little friendly guys.
Speaker 2: Who they're not friendly and they're always little.
Speaker 1: But yeah, some of them are absolute chunks. Yeah, I've seen some big dogs recently. Did you know the mosquito serene is the most deadly animal in the world. Really, Yeah, it's an animal. Yeah, I mean it's in the animal kingdom, right, I suppose it's insect nuisance.
Speaker 2: No, it's not insect on animals and nuisance. I guess I couldn't realize it was considered the most deadly animal. Why is that just from like valaria?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all the other diseases at vectors. Right, it can do parasites, bacteria, and viruses, so it's really like a triple threat when you can get like chuck and gun. Yeah, Dane Gay, I've got a whole list of them.
Speaker 2: Why are they still around?
Speaker 1: That is an interesting question, Sharene.
Speaker 2: I've always wondered that like bees have benefits, like they make they're cute little guys, and they make honey, and they just want to pollinate around.
Speaker 1: Lots of mosquitoes do too. Lots also, or they don't make honey. Lots of species of mosquito just feed of flowers. They're not out there to get you. It is just the the lady mosquitoes of certain species.
Speaker 2: What was the lady insects man? The queen bee? Yeah, it's the black widow.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, it's it's true. Yeah, it's I guess maybe they're a matriarchal society, you know, and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I guess technically a spider is not insect, right, it's.
Speaker 1: Like a yeas to correct me on the reddit. Yeah, please please post your genus and species stuff on the on the reddit. I would love that. So, yeah, mosquitoes, they're stacking some bondies, about three quarters of a million people a year in fact, which is quite a lot of people for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess for culture to the genocide and on the spectrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. Sadly, I don't know, the mosquitoes don't have so much agency, so I don't feel like they're quite as like evil. You know, the word of course a moscow. The moscow is a fly in Spanish.
Speaker 2: And then each I think, of course, like why I don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might know that, you know, like I don't know that. I'm just gonna look this up. Mosquitoes or origin word? Well, now, mosca is a fly, ito is a diminutive ending, so it means like a little fly. Oh, little fly, yeah, a fly.
Speaker 2: Lit And there's also a Spanish word that means long legged.
Speaker 1: Hold on from mosquito.
Speaker 2: The Spanish called the mosquitoes mosquetas, and the Native Hispanic Americans call them zenkudos. Mosquito is Spanish or Portuguese and it means a little fly, while zen kudos is a Spanish word that means long legged.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, there we go and learning the etymology today here and then I didn't have that. I just had a little fly based on it being a little fly in Spanish.
Speaker 2: That's kind of cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that long legged. Well, we have daddy long legs, I guess, but he's a mosquito. Yeah. So technically mosquitoes are actually micro predators, which is kind of a fun word. I feel like I've met some micro predators in my time, but they were not mosquitoes, and that is because some of them thrive by drinking human blood. Tell me about it. Yeah, that is the reason, sharing that you have encountered mosquito. So I want to I want to talk first about their life cycle and then about their their predation on Charine so mosquito say the eggs in stagnant water, that that's water that's not moving.
Speaker 3: Right, I know somethings, Jane, Okay, okay, not everyone knows about stagnant water, Charine. There are listeners too.
Speaker 1: They might not know. So their eggs hatched into lava, and the lava become pupa. These stages are all aquatic, right, They all happen in the stagnant water, right, and then the adult mosquito hatches from the pupa and it hatches on the surface and then it flies off and it sucks up your evening.
Speaker 2: I don't realized that you had anything to do with water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why, Like did this not happen in La a few years ago? They this council was like sending people around San Diego to like scope out your garden to see if you had standing water. Right, if that did happen, I have no memory during peak. Yeah, let's see, maybe that's why it was peaked, like zeko panic.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes sense that that would happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it does. And we definitely get them, like I have to put a little over side like a thing that kills the eggs into my chicken water. If I'm having a big standing thing of chicken water, yeah, I try and have smaller and refresh it more frequently now. But yeah, you definitely have to be careful of stagnant water. And as we'll see, like one of the main ways to control them is like limiting the amount of stagnant water for some species only the females that a species are the bloodsuckers, and in some cases they don't need the blood, and in other cases to lay their eggs they need to have a blood meal as it's called h which is a nice words unsettling. Okay, Yeah, So the mosquitoes that are vectors for human diseases, so they're like the transportation vector vehicle for the disease between one person and another, those are the guys who often need a little blood meal to day the eggs. They don't only attack people, actually, they sort of have a preferred species, but in a pinch, they'll go after anything with blood. And I've seen them get really thick on cattle and stuff in the summer, or horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine that. Yeah, because cow's just sit there.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they're being mosquito attack, they get pissed off. But there's only so much they can do. In some cases, I think it's horses. Equinumcephalitis is spread by mosquitos, so they can actually get it. They can get diseases from two terrible little guys, and they can like literally die from being overbitten. And if they get like completely swarmed on wow, yeah, that's like if they're unable to get away from them. Because if you have a water tank, right, and then mosquitos are breeding in the tank, it's where you want to keep that tank moving like right.
Speaker 2: So it's not stagnant water, because stagnant water means it's not moving.
Speaker 1: There, you go look at that actually and putting knowledge into it. I let that be like one of those Guo Linga things where you learn a word then use it in a sentence exactly. Yeah. All I do is use that word. Yeah. Yeah, So yeah, musket has come out adorn or dusk, which is to say they are crepuscular, another word that everyone already knows.
Speaker 2: I mean I did learn that word. I did like an audiobook and I had to look this word up, and so I know what it means only because of that. But it's a very interesting word. I will say it isn't it sounds like creepy, Like I would have no idea what it meant if I didn't look it up, Like there's nothing that clues me in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crepusculate. It sounds like, yeah, of gress because like diurnal nocturnal you can kind of if you know one, you can work out. But crepuscular, it is coming out of fucking left field.
Speaker 2: That's crepust Does that mean which remind me? It means that they're active don and desk or that they're eating it.
Speaker 1: I think it means they Yeah, they are. I'm not actually sure if it means it active or they're eating. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like I've heard cats are also described as that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cats are definitely that way animal appearing active in Twilight active.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's very poetic. The first animal I see here as a cat, Yeah, lion, American woodcock, firefly, short eared owl. Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're real, the pantheon and animals. So they do the feeding at doorn a desk and they actually use compounds in your exhale breath to sniff you out. So they are they are hunting for people. They specifically prefer to feed on people who have type O blood, an abundance of skin bacteria, high body heat, and pregnant women. If you fit one or all of those criteria. I guess that because people like definitely, I feel like I have type of blood. Yeah too, I feel like I'm victimized, like more than most people by the mosquito and they choose me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like me and my mom are both TYPEO and we get you know, live, So that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they somehow they can smell that on you.
Speaker 2: I'm always cold, though, so I don't think I have high bars heat. Not always cold, but I can. I don't know I have beat circulation, not pregnant. I guess I must have an abundance of skin bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a skin bacteriasuring by process of deduction.
Speaker 2: No, but TYPEO makes sense. I think like that is enough.
Speaker 1: I suppose. Yeah, they because when it's a lot of them, you know, and when one of them starts feeding on you, that's going to trigger more of them to come feeding on you.
Speaker 2: How because they're like, look at this, this idiot, let's go feed off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, look at this. It is delicious blood that is typo. Yeah, got it, Yeah, yum yum. And then they're giving off their little feeding sort of vibes and then the other mosquitoes come, which can be useful to trap them. But it's a fair point. The trapping of mosquitos's I learned when I was doing this. Very fucking interesting.
Speaker 2: Actually, ooh, okay, tell me more. Actually maybe not now, but whenever you get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll get to a tune. They have a very interesting set of mouth parts and including the labium, which is like a gutter shaped cueube mouth tube okay, I guess, And it's super sharp and they can use it to saw through your skin painlessly, so you never that's what you don't feel.
Speaker 2: So that's the that's the needle looking thing. Yeah, it's like the little thing they poke you with.
Speaker 1: And then well they do that, then they have little needle looking things that kind of that it contained within the gutter shape that they use to suck out your blood. Gross. They're saliva stops your blood from clotting, and it prevents vascular constriction in the area where they're biting, so they can get a little bit extra blood before it clots. I guess. Some people can become desensitized to their bites over time if you're getting bit and all the time, others can become more sensitive and then increased sensitivity is known as Skeeter syndrome.
Speaker 2: Skeeter syndrome what it looks like because I'm very sensitive to them.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe we've got two diagnoses in one episode. We've got skin bacteria and Skeeter syndrome.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I need to have to have Skeeter syndrome, but I will say I'm extreme insensitive to mosquito bites. When I get bit in they become gigantic. I won't even will now I'll wote itch them because I know not to at this point. But I'll get these like gigantic welts essentially, and they're bright pink, and then over the course of like a week or something, and they become bright red and they look like someone put paint on my leg. It's like it's a crazy color of red. And then when they eventually do stop itching, I'll have that welt there in that red mark for.
Speaker 1: Like months, damn months. It's like it becomes like this weird scar. Yeah, you could be a squito syndrome, I guess, so yeah, yeah, I will say when I.
Speaker 2: Was a kid in Syria, when we would go visit there, they have so many mosquitoes. I got in alive because we would go there in the summer too. But there was one time I got bit in on my eyelid like this, that sucks, and so I genuinely couldn't open my eye for like a week and a half. That was the worst one.
Speaker 1: I think I'm like that with beastings, like they they swell up like crazy, Like I don't think I'm like anaphylactic. But a couple of times time I was racing in Laguna Seca, which is like a car racing track in Monterey, and I'm racing along and I guess I'm riding along with my mouth open. It's just just like you know, thriving, and a mosquito flew in and bit me. I do a mosquito a bee, and my whole face just was like in your mouth. Yeah, it was crazy, it was bad. Ship. Yeah, it was fucked. One had just stung me before, like the extent which I swell like when be staying me. I got stung in the leg on a training ride and I had to upgrade to like EXL shorts because like my thigh just become like yeah, and then one got me in the mouth. It was a bad day. I had an EpiPen, I had I think I had some ivy bed drill at some point. Oh yeah, it was fucking well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm glad you're not in a phylactic, but it's pretty close.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah, yeah, it's better you can get one time I got. I got stung in a face when I was to go to lecture as well, and like walked in with like elephant man face and my stream. Wow, we're just like dude, it's like.
Speaker 2: Those photos or videos you see of like animals like a dog at a to b and their faces like gigantic.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah it is, Uh it's two dogs. Do you love to eat peas?
Speaker 2: I will say, I don't know if you've ever done twenty three and Me, but I did it years and years ago for another show I was on and on twenty three and Me. You can select if you want, like health traits as well as like ancestral traits or whatever, like yeah, and on that it said I am more likely to get a bitten by mosquitoes.
Speaker 1: They gay. Maybe it just need your blood.
Speaker 2: Type, but I didn't give them my blood given my spit.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't know. Yeah, that's crazy. Maybe that's something in it has no blood type. I don't know. I don't know. We've just discovered that shream is on a eugenics podcast.
Speaker 2: No, it was for my podcast that was about this is tea Ankay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some real problematic folks do love twenty three and me. It's very funny when the white nationalists got one twenty three and me and find out how they get upset. So yeah, I love that and it's always fun to see. So the real problem with mosquitos is not just that they make you a trip, but they're vectors for disease and they infect seven hundred million people a year with their little bitey mouths. They can spread all kinds of diseases, including viruses, parasites, and bacteria. Some of their greatest hits include yellow fever, Dangay malaria, Tuderimia, zeka, chicken gunya, and West Nile virus. Speaking from experience, some of those are really shit, and you are best avoiding all of those. That's going to be my advice. To you as a doctor in one European history, it really fucking sucks to get some of these. I've had some diseases from some mosquitoes, and I would not recommend The mosquitoes don't actually get sick themselves. And it's like it's immune system can destroy the virus, but if it bites someone else and then bites you before it's immune system destroys the virus' genetic code, you can get sick and at some parasites. Apparently malaria can make mosquitoes more apt to go biting. Interesting, it kind of turns them into zombie brain mosquitos. It's how I like to think about it. With malaria, which is kind of the main mosquito vector disease. I guess that we think about the parasite replicates in the liver cells and then moves about by the bloodstream. If you get bitten again, the blood could then pass that malaria to the next victim of the mosquito. I'm going on a trip soon for work. I'll probably be on it when you will hear this. And like, because people are traveling more, all these different diseases are becoming more common. Right They're endemic in one area, and then people come from that area to another area, and then mosquitos are hopping around when they're in a new area that they're now spreading in that area. So we've talked to some folks like on the areas where migrants travel north, all the types of malaria are now currently present, which is great because you've got people from all over the world, right, and then the mosquitos are hopping from someone from China to someone who's come from Mauritania and spreading their little mosquito vector diseases around. So that is bad treating. Do you know what else is bad?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry my mind was so blank, But ads are not good. No, they're not bad.
Speaker 1: Ads are great. As are so good that we love them.
Speaker 2: Oh yay ads.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back, and I want to talk about how we stop the mosquito nennis. Please help. So I'm going to talk about eliminating them, and then I'm going to talk about some products and services actually that you can avail yourself off. I'd been thinking about this a lot recently for work reasons, right, Yeah, doing some jungle travel in the next few months. So how do we prevent them from biting us? First of all, we can stop them having little useful pools of stagnant water to replicate in right, Like this means like if you're like me, one of my friends referred to my my garden as a quote Alaska yard, which it's a way of saying that it's a mess and there are lots of like car parts and like little little things that I am fixing soon, you know, And I guess having an Alaska yard is bad for the mosquitos, like especially things like tires, right Like, you know, if you have a big car tire, water pools in there, and they can have a little breed in there, same as buckets in marshy areas. What people do is they dig ditches that allows water to move so that water doesn't sit completely still. And then introducing certain fish it can also help certain fish will eat, including the mosquito. Fish will eat the LoVa of the mosquito. Tilapia also do this so like you can have a nice little if you're a person who eats fish, a nice still situation where you're reducing the disease burden. And also like providing a food source, which is something they're working on. You can drain swamps. Of course, Donald Trump famously has drained the swamp right, yeah, I hear no malaria do you see anymore because of Donald Trump? But doing so obviously destroys an important habitat. Certainly you don't want to just be draining swamps. I was reading about something in Florida they do called rotational impound management, where they kind of allow water levels to fluctuate, and then they have these clever little gates that mean that that other species like the fish and the crustaceans can move about, but they're keeping them water moving. To stop the little mosquito eggs. For me, the other way to do it is to try and kill them, right, So there are various ways of doing that. One of them is to create an environment where they would want to lay their eggs, but then have that environment kill their eggs. So there are various at home ways of doing this. So like you could make a stagnant water thing and then blitz up the eggs or filter them out, or you can put things oversides in there which to kill the eggs. Some of them also kill the mosquitos when they come and lay their eggs. You can also use their little hunting senses against them, right, So you can create an environment that attracts them either by seeming like a person or by seeming like a good place for them to breed. And then you can filter out the eggs from where they lay them, right, you can kill them when they come on in. There are things called lava sides. Maybe that's what I'm using with my chicken thing actually that destroy the lava. There are little bricks that you dissolve in your water, and there are some pretty low risk insecticides that you can use. And there are also high risk in sexicides, or at least underpopular intexticides. And this is where a friend of the Cauzone media network DDT comes in. Are you familiar with DDT treed? No, there are friends, Yeah, there are friends. We love DDT Big Appetise on pod. We love them because until about sixty years ago, the US government fucking loved DDT. Right. It's an insecticide. They would put it in walls, in mattresses, People rubbed their pets with it. For a while, people thought they treated polio. They would even go through towns spraying down whole neighborhoods with DDT right, and people kind of became aware the DDT actually isn't a great idea, both pre ecological and health reasons, about sixty years ago when Rachel Carson published a book called Silent Spring. It's kind of one of the foundational texts of the environmental movement. And I think people are asked in credit like Rachel Carson with being the only person that that's not necessarily true. Like you can look at migrant farm workers actually and see that they have been for a long time being Like, I don't think it's great that you're dosing us with this pesticide all the time. Like, maybe stop spraying us with the DDT, you stop playing the places. I want to quote a really good piece there in the New Republic on DDT. We now know that DDT causes tumors in mice and rats. It thins birds eggs to the point that mothers indivertently crush their gestating offspring. It may disrupt bird sense of orientation, sending them out to seed to die. It fundamentally alters the reproductive ordin and so array of critters. It can poison animals even decades after spraying has ended. Further, a growing body of evidence has linked DT to numerous forms of cancer in humans, especially breast cancer. Studies have shown how the levels of DDT in our bodies track inequalities in human society. For instance, there are higher DDT levels in black people than in whites, and higher levels in poor people than in rich ones.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you reliant to me when you said that there are friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like within the cool zone media network of making podcasts about evil shit. DDT I think fits perfect. That's terrible, Yeah, it's terrible. There's recently like a resurgence in I guess, like people standing DDT again and questioning some of it, like research around it. But we know for sure that it's ecologically damaging, and what we don't know is the consequences of wiping out a bunch of species in the ecosystem, so we probably don't want to use DDT. One thing we can do to kill them is introduce predators, which is kind of cool. Tilap Year is one predator. Dragonflies or another. I love a dragonfly, big interesting flies, so Bekina fasso. They're working on a fungus with a mosquito specific neurotoxin, which is kind of cool. It can just grow and kill the mosquitos. The World Mosquito programs also trialing a bacteria that when mosquitos carry it, it amps up their immune system, so like they kill the virus or the parasite or whatever it is right more quickly, so then they're less lightly to be vectors. There's also programs which introduce male mosquitos which are not able to have kids, either they're sterile or they're breeding results in eggs that won't hatch, So that's kind of interesting to control the population that way. And they also have these really interesting genetically modified mosquitos that need antibiotic tetracycline to grow, So they raise a batch in the lab and give them the tetracycline that they need, right, and then they let them out to breed, and then when they breed, because they're young, don't have tetracycline, they don't grow and they don't make it. It's really interesting to think about. Like some folks are advocating for completely eradicating them, just wiping them off the face of the planet, which would seem to have many benefits, right with all these diseases that they vector. I'm one of those people. Yeah, you're a mosquito. Genocider. I found its interesting pieces that they're like a forest's defense fromanism against humans. Like if we look at that, like the ecosystem's.
Speaker 2: Way of being like get out of here, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like leaves this place alone. Yeah, which is interesting, But like I know, it's hard because the people who mostly die from mosquito vector diseases and the people with the least access to resources, right right, yeah, even things like you know, when you're very sick with some of these things, you need to be you know, kept hydrated and kept cool as your temperature gets up and stuff, and you don't have AC and you maybe you can't get an IV or whatever, like a very preventable death could occur, right, and so right, it's hard, real hard for me sitting in America to be like, no, we shouldn't. But I guess I understand that argument. But if we go about it by fucking dousing whole areas and DDT again, then that's not great either. Right, that can have it. That can then can have its downside. Anyone else has its downside. Shrewm What it's having to pivot to add every ten to fifteen minutes in this job that we do. So we're going to do it. Now we're back. We are entering the final trimester of our podcast and yeah, if you like that, I like to I'd like to think of them as trimesters, the last slice of this little podcast cake for you guys. Yeah, So I wanted to present some little strategies I like to use please when I am going to places where I am worried about being eaten alive by the little flies.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, you see all these like DIY, like this is how track mosquito somewhere else, But like none of those have been mentioned, So is.
Speaker 1: That all bullshit? What do they taught me through?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I have to look it up, but I feel like I've seen like little things where it's like put this bucket of water here, or like put like lemon or honey or like something to attract like general insects and then mosquitos or like even like light can attract mosquitos. You put like a light somewhere. But this sounds all like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can do that. You can even use a fan, right, because I know, honestly, very good flyers like they you can just kind of blow them away from you. So yeah, in terms of like small scale mosquito prevention. Yeah, I'm going to get into some of those. Okay, cool. The most useful thing for me is mosquito in its actually, so like in the jungle, I like to sleep in a hammock. This one called the Jungle Nest, the Eagles Nest Outfitters make that has like a built in mosquito in it. That's nice. Yeah, it's really nice. Like I like, so I don't have to fuck around with like draping it and worry about like the little gaps, right. Yeah, And I use that a lot. I use a whole little system that they make, and it's it's really nice. If I'm in hotels, seat a Summit makes a sleeping bag liner A I like to take seeking bagline up when I'm going places like I I got fucking fleas from a hotel bed in Rwanda. Oh no, yeah it was bad, like if you think mosquito had to try it having And for people who haven't seen me, I'm a hairy person, like have long hair and had a beard, and fleas were just upon me and it was bad. So I like to take a little sleeping bag liner now that's treated with a mosquito repellant, but it must be safe for skin and stuff though, right, yeah, yeah, it's embedded in the fabric called permethrine. We'll talk about it in a second. Literally, the last thing I use is a head bugnet. I'm a massive advocate for the head bugnet. I know you look like a complete lemon, but like, it's just I don't like to be bitten in the face.
Speaker 2: No, I have been been in the face, so yeah, it's not fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take it from Charine bite sur either. If you have a brimmed hat, it's much nicer because it sort of hangs in front of your face then. But I wear with these all the time. If you like to see wildlife, it's nice too because it's kind of camouflaging, like it takes the glare off your face. You get really bad insects up in Scotland, like when I've been out there in the summer time at Form one, and I wear a lot. In California, there are some places like to hike where we have year round water here, but it's definitely pretty gross by like the end of the summer, you know, like it's been sitting for a while. But water is a bit constraint on your on your hiking out here, right, so you kind of need it. So I'll go down there and filter my water. But I wear my little bug face net and it works great. I love it. So after that you can also do repellance. These come in two forms, so it's the one that you put on your clothes and the ones that you put on your body. Right. The one that you put on your clothes is called permethrine. The thing with permethrin is that it's a neurotoxin for cats, which is very bad for cats. So Soya makes a little spray bottle of it and you can spray it on your own clothes and treat them, right, But if you have cats you have you must do this outside, like you can't do it in your house with your cats. It's safe once it's dry, so that you can spray them, let them be on your washing line or what have you, and then when it's dry you can you can bring them aside and then it's safe, honestly, Like you can also send them off to a company I think it's called insect Shield and they'll spray them for you. In the way they do it somehow bonds it for much longer, like normally at lasts for about six washes, but with and you can get like ten times as many washes. And you can also buy shit like I've just got a hoodie from a company called first Light, who make like fancy hunting stuff that has the insect stuff built in. Yeah. I like that because then if you have a hoodie as well, you can put you know, you get like a lot of coverage.
Speaker 2: But like, if a cat likes sat on this clothing.
Speaker 1: It's fine now because it's bonded. Yeah, your cat could like go curl up in it and then have a sleep and things. So even if it gets wet, that's okay. It's when the permethro in itself is wet the first application, that's when it's risky. Okay, I see, I see. If you're going to do that, you want to do your socks as well, because they fucking love to bite around the ankles. Yep, my legs are their their prime target. Yeah, that's their their favorite area to bite here. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're probably easier to access and you're less likely to see them, I suppose. Like, and also I feel like if you're sitting, you're moving, probably your upper body more than your lower body.
Speaker 1: So it's like I don't know. Yeah, it's still like and sneak in there. Lasted. So things to like repel them. One of them is have you seen the thermo cells? Are you familiar with them? It's a brand called Off that makes them too. It emits something called metha flutherin, and methad lutheran is like a non toxic I was looking at the EPA guidelines for this. It's mostly non toxic. It should be fine in your house, but it is toxic to aquatic invertebrates, fish and bees because with all these things, like I don't want to just be spraying and insecticide into the world, right yeah, and damaging like innocent non micro predators. So what the thermo cell does is, you know when people have those little things in their houses where they put an essential oil in and it puffs and the picture house not nice. Yeah, it's like that. It's like that, okay, and it does that. But with this methaplutherin and they work okay, Like if you're in your tent stuff, they work like they don't work if it's windy, they don't really work. They can be nice like if you set them up and let them get going for a while and then come into a space, they can be really nice. You have other things like a fan. You can have the electric traps, right, which kind of bring even electrocute them.
Speaker 2: How do those electric traps attract them? Just the light or like.
Speaker 1: What I think it's a UV light because yeah, it has that really bright I actually don't know that. I think that electrocutes them, like when they land on it, right, Yeah, I think it's the light. Yeah. Those seem to be like a more multi purpose insect zappa though, right, So I've not preferred those. I don't want to be killing everything else, like just try and you know, leave no trace. And then the last thing is for some reason, I've become obsessed with this recently, the different creams you can put on yourself to stop mosquitoes going away. Ideally you can kind of layer up all the things right to limit you know, like the amount of just chemicals you have to rub on your skin. Deep is the most popular one. People are pretaty familiar with Deep. It was developed by the US Army in the forties. The big thing with deep is it's really hard on plastics, so I'm not a contact lens or glass wearer. I don't know a contact lens is made of glass or plastic. Okay, yeah, I have worn both, and I have no idea. I'm gonna say like that with that perfect vision, I have one either. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think it's crazy. Who was made out of glass or plastic?
Speaker 1: Right? What are contact lenses? Welcome to the portion of podcasts. We're sure he googles the thing.
Speaker 2: I guess there are types of plastic, but not the kind of plastic that comes to mind when you hear the word high tech polymers that allow oxygen to flow through to reach the cornea body body blow.
Speaker 1: So I guess, yeah, sure, yeah, be careful with your deep.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's a question that says our contacts glass or plastic. So I guess I'm a dummy because that's a legitimate question. No, it's a good question that just like sounds crazy to me. Anyway, I don't know if the deep can get to them. It can definitely, Oh yeah, it does contact lenses.
Speaker 1: There we go. It can damage your contact lenses. It definitely will mess with your rain gear, your tent, your sunglasses, especially in higher concentrations. So like deep you can get ten percent deep, you can get one hundred percent deep. You get maximum protection at thirty percent deep. So after that it's just you're buying yourself more time between applications. Also, it gets more concentrated your risking damaging your gear. And like, I don't like the way it makes my mouth feel, like with the spray. If you spray it, you get this like metallic dry mouth. It seems like you're killing yourself when you walk into a cloud of deep. Okay, cool, cool cool. I like pickcard in. It's a synthetic version of an element that's found in pepper plants. Yeah, that's what I usually use on I go camp. Yeah, their little Sawyer makes a really nice picard and actually it's got like a blue label on the bottle.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's the what I use.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Soyer. Yeah, we like Sawyer. I got to try. The reason I've I've suggested so many Soy products is because the Sawyer Foundation. We're there in the Marshall Islands when I was there.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, I mean I like their shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do. I think they're a really cool company. Actually, they seem to make stuff that like solves problems and then just like keep making it. They don't make a new thing every year, different color and trying to rehype it, you know. Like they did really cool shap in the marsh Lands. It's cool to see and like, Yeah, as companies go, I think they're pretty right on. They also gave us some water filters to help with the migrants the other day, which is very nice of them. We needed some water filters for folks crossing the border and they gave us some. So they are my friends. But yeah, their one is good. They make a nice sun cream mostly as well, so you can you can double dip there. I'm sure it's not up to the standards of your your imported sun creams, but.
Speaker 2: That means sunscreen British translation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can't make the logical leap from suncream to sunscreen, yeah that is that is what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: In the British air defense though it is definitely a cream and not a screen, so yeah, that's on us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another incidence of British excellence. Oh my god, to be fair, one of the few. What have we got We've got that we have the Baking show and that's about it. Ye can't think of much else. So there are also like natural ones, you know, like citronella is the one that people like. But I have just found that those don't work very well.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a hit or miss. Yeah, I was gonna say, I feel like it's like kind of for fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you'll feel great that you've done something. Yeah. I think they just work by being strong smells that kind of mask your other smells. M And you can get synthetic and natural plant oils. And there are people who will sell you bracelets with like a little thing that's supposed to secrete the citronella.
Speaker 2: Oh, I use I've used those. The ones I have used look like like phone cords that are all spirally. Yeah, but they little bracelets and I have ifill my ankles, put them on my wrists. Sometimes they work and sometimes I look like a dummy. But I don't know, so it was I've tried everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes I just burnt incense and that kind of works. Again, I think just kind of it's a strong smell and the mosquitoes don't like it. Okay, that makes sense having incense and a box fan. It's not a bad solution, like I've done that in places where you know, nothing else was available, and that's pretty good. But yeah, if you're in a place where they see the problem and it's coming a bigger problem. Right, the world is getting hotter, the climate is changing. These swampy marsh areas are drying up, so we're getting more stagnant water and less through flow. Like this becoming a bigger problem, and our healthcare system is continuing to be fucked and getting worse, certainly in the United States, but so United Kingdom and other places. So yeah, be careful of the mosquitoes. Remember to do your sun cream before your before your mosquito cream or lotion or whatever you're using, screen your mosquito screen. That's sort of a I got a mosquito scream? You got anything to add?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's a good little summary about what to do for mosquitos. I hate mosquito so much, and I'm one of those people that don't think they should be around, But since they are, I guess we got to deal with them. So yeah, it's nice to know that I use like a good thing. Like I think if I use something that you use, I'm like, Wow, I did something right.
Speaker 1: Soly true. Your way ahead of me on the air this sun cream.
Speaker 2: But no, I think it's a it's helpful to know. I'm sure many people out there are sensors to mosquito bites and anything will help if they.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 2: It's getting so hot and they're everywhere. And now what's really bothering me is that they're getting smaller and harder to see. But they're just as annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bite still even if there's Yeah, yeah, you've got to get a really fine mesh f your mosquito nets for that. You can't be using other products. Yeah, I don't have a mosquito net. I should go one. Yeah, I get a mosquito net. I love a head mosquito net. It's great. It serves you some. It stops the mosquitoes biting you, it stops other people talking to you. Wow, it's a great. It's great thing to have. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have seen these videos of like someone having a mosquito it on them and then like the mosquitoes, you see it poking and not being able to reach.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny, like mosquito ares very funny. Yeah, yeah, exactly, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool Yeah, thanks James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine. It's a podcast brought to you by me hyper focusing on things, which is what I do, is the way I deal with my anxiety about going to places which don't necessarily places people go for fun.
Speaker 2: Word all right bye, So yeah, it could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.