Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Meet Friday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Dilan in for Pauli, who is off today. We'll get phone calls coming up. It's a meat Friday. We have stripped steak fondue, cheese fondue, and chocolate covered strawberries.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Eight seven to seven three DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle. A DP Show stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Say good morning to those watching on Peacock and the NBC Sports Network. We'll talk to the new head coach of the New York Giants, John Harbaugh, set to join us momentarily. We'll check in with Mike Tarico doing hosting duties at the Winter Olympics, and we will talk to Noah Eagle from NBC and Peacock. He'll be calling the All Star Game and I don't even think he's thirty years of age, the youngest to ever do it. Alrighty, poll question seating for the first hour, and what are we going to go with in hour two?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We have.
Speaker 7: This might be the most random assortment of pole questions I think we've ever had. Let's see what type of competitions do you prefer?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 7: Sixty seven percent would take International Overclub, which bothers you more about the Utah jazz their recent tanking, or the lack of jazz in Salt Lake City. Lack of jazz running away with that one. We also have up there which is your favorite Olympics gate? Crotchgate, Ukrainian helmet gate, Norwegian cheeter gate, or ice dancing scoring date gate. I mean, crotch gate right now has forty percent of that. That's where they were adding extra list ski jumpers were adding extra material in their crotch so that they would sort of like a flying squirrel, you know, that sort of movement, they would get a little more hang time. That is grossly illegal. And we have one more in there that which NBA All Star Celebrity Game team would you rather be on? Teamyannis or Team Anderson. Teamy honis right now crushing Anthony Anderson. I'm very sorry about that. Nice guy, Anthony Anderson, very nice guy. It seems to be a very nice guy. Yeah, we'll look at the rosters.
Speaker 2: There these celebrities playing in that event, all right, eight seven to seven to three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handling TP show. He's John Harball, the Giants head coach, who has it better than we do. No, I know the answer to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How often did your dad ask you that question?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: I don't know. It's like about every day right now. I know that. But we got it young, We didn't. We didn't understand it till later.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: It's one of those things that your parents tell you that you kind of don't get. You kind of make fun of. What is that everybody's got better than us?
Speaker 10: Dad?
Speaker 9: It's cold, we're complaining whenever we complain though, that's what we heard.
Speaker 2: You take this job. Let me let me stay with Baltimore for a moment. How do you not take it personally when the franchise doesn't want you anymore?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I don't. Well, you do take it personally? Really, I mean I can't say that you don't. Everything is personal. I mean life is personal. You know, we pour you pour your heart into what you do every single day. It's meaningful and it matters. And and I know that everybody that we were with there, who we love in Baltimore all those years would say the same thing about what they did or about us and everything like that. So yeah, you do take it personal in a sense because it's a very personal thing. But but I wasn't offended by it. It didn't it didn't make me mad, didn't make me bitter. It just was disappointing. But by the same time, it's like, you know what, there's a plan for life. There's a purpose in life. And I believe in I believe in our almighty Creator, and I believe that there's a reason that things happen. And when when When When that when when the Lord above says, go, it's time to go. And that's how I look at it. And he said, go to New York and here where we are so very excited about that this We're right where we are supposed to be at this particular point in time. It's exactly the place we're supposed to be. And that's what I'm excited about.
Speaker 2: Mike Rabel put a lot of pressure on coaches, taking over teams. He turns the team around and goes to the Super Bowl. Uh can it be? I mean, I know I was wondering about that. You know, you don't get to ease into this job, John.
Speaker 9: No, No, it's okay. Hey, you welcome the challenge if it's the national football you know, but not for long.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: It's time you got. It's time to produce day one. And our players expect that, our coaches expect that. We expect to come out of the gates. We're gonna come out of the We're gonna come out of the corner swinging. I mean, that's what we're gonna do. I remember the Hearns Hagler fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when Herds surprised everybody and just went all in against Hagler.
Speaker 9: Yeah, three round. I think it was a t KO maybe by I think Hagler won it maybe if I remember. I love Tagler. I love Tagler. Marvin if he's out there, I love him. But Tommy Hearns is my guy, the you know, the MotorCity hit man, Tommy Hearns man. I love Tommy Hearns. Uh. He came out swinging, so that's what we plan on doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he got knocked out, So you don't want to come out swinging like that.
Speaker 9: Will come out swinging, we'll be throwing punches. You know, wherever happens happens.
Speaker 2: But the chips flying, it's uh tougher division, AFC North or NFC East.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 9: The AFC North has been the tougher division, you know over the last eighteen years. I would say that. I mean I was in it. I know it was tougher going forward. Yeah, Now in the early in the early two thousands, it was the n it was the NFC East. I was in it. Then you know where it's at. It's wherever you're at.
Speaker 3: That's the toughest divisions.
Speaker 9: Wherever you live. And we'll be living in the NFC East and it's a tough division. I mean, you got the Eagles who have been doing what they do for the last number of years. It's like Michigan Ohio State. Back in the day when Bo Shimmicker took over with my dad, you had to beat Ohio State if you were going to be great at Michigan, and that's what they did the very first year. And then the Cowboys, the Cowboys, the Commanders. It's just great rivalries, incredible stadiums, huge fan bases, nothing more to you. There's no more exciting division than the NFC East and the New York Football Giants. You know we're in it too. So we planned to make a statement. We planned to be there. We planned to show up for every single game, Dan right on time.
Speaker 2: What was it about the Giants job that attracted you the most?
Speaker 9: I think probably if I was being honest about the players. The players are really important in football. You've got to have players, great players. As a players game. It always has been a player's game. It always will be a player's game. Great coaches have taught me that over the years.
Speaker 2: So but having that franchise quarterback, how important was that that? If you're you're surveying the situation here of all the openings, how important was it that you had Jackson Dark?
Speaker 9: Yeah, start with the quarterback, I mean the player. Started with the quarterback. You build a team around the quarterback. That I looked at that, Like the first thing I did was look at all the quarterbacks. And there are some good quarterbacks on these teams. But Jackson was the guy that really excited me when I saw him, now even more so being around him every day. We were in here, we were in here last night. He was hanging out, he's working out, and think he worked out at nine o'clock. So I saw him around the building and talk some ball with him. So is great.
Speaker 3: What's the best piece of coaching advice? Your dad gave you.
Speaker 9: The best piece of a coaching advice our dad gave us. He said, you know what he said. He said, you gotta work really hard. You gotta work harder than everybody else. He goes, because I know you two guys, and you're really not that smart. You're probably not gonna smart anybody, so you got to outwork people. That's a direct quote. That's exactly what he means.
Speaker 2: He said, you and Jim were not smart, so you got out work Who's smarter between you two.
Speaker 9: Jim's the smartest guy I know. Gim's the smartest. He's the smartest coach in the league. I'm total credit to Jim for smart uh, street smarts, emotional smarts, knows how to knows how to make you, knows how to make a statement, make people feel a certain way. Funny dude, Yeah, you know him?
Speaker 3: What do you do better than him?
Speaker 9: Are you? I beat him in golf last time we played, but that was like ten years ago. We refuse to play each other. We refuse I mean golf we's got time for it. But what do I do better than Jim? I look younger than Jim right now? Can we all agree on that. Neither one of us are that young, but I look younger than him.
Speaker 3: Okay, how much?
Speaker 9: What's the age?
Speaker 3: What's the age difference?
Speaker 9: I'm fifteen months older.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I'm sure you're reminding of that.
Speaker 12: See.
Speaker 9: See, you would have never guessed that, right, Pat, you would have never guessed.
Speaker 3: No. No, just don't color your hair. Okay, no, you can see. No, I'm just saying, just don't do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you look you you are. You are very You look very distinguished. You're a gentleman. You know, you look very wise.
Speaker 2: But distinguished. That's the gray hair. That when you have gray hair, you're you're wise, You're distinguished. I think it comes along with that.
Speaker 9: I like the lumberjack shirt you're wearing too, and it's cozy. It's buy your fireplace in the background. Who's got a better than you? Dan?
Speaker 3: Nobody? No, nobody?
Speaker 9: What you do for a living? Talking about crotch? Game stop? Ever? I want that job.
Speaker 3: When did you reach out to Mike McDonald.
Speaker 9: Reached out to him after the game. Right after the game, I started texting him right away. I haven't able to get him on the phone yet, but I will. I will. Jay either they're busy, they've got parades to do, they got chows to do.
Speaker 7: The wait, wait, he hasn't gotten back to you yet.
Speaker 9: Wow, he's been busy. He's been busy, but he's he's texted back. He texted back right away.
Speaker 2: Do you did you realize that he like he was capable of doing this at a young age and calling the defensive plays in the Super Bowl as a head coach?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean I hired him as the defensive coordinator and the defensive play caller, so that was that's always the plan. You know, you want you want, I want my defensive coordinator calling defenses in the Super Bowl. That's definitely the goal. And uh, there were I never had any doubt about Mike. Others did. I didn't, and Mike didn't, you know. And Mike is uh, Mike is confident, smart, just a good person, hard worker. He's the guy. He's a hard worker, and he smart, he's got he's got two for two going there. So uh and look look what happened. I mean, I'm just so couldn't be more proud of him. And also Jay Harbaugh, our nephews, a special teams coordinator. They've won games on special teams, multiple games because of special teams and because of what Jay's done. So those guys, I mean, there's other guys. Leslie Frasier's on that staff left for Leslie is such a great leader. He's helping Mike. So yeah, it's an amazing job they've done.
Speaker 2: The kicker and the punter. I mean, what a weapon for Seattle. When you talk about a total team effort to win a Super Bowl, they had it.
Speaker 3: They had it unbelievable.
Speaker 9: We trade for the returner who's also a receiver in this mid season there, and people are like scratching their head about that trade, and look at he made a difference for him.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you talked to your quarterback and your former quarterback in Baltimore?
Speaker 9: You know what, we've texted a number of times. We haven't talked on the phone, you know, just having a chance to do that. But I haven't talked to really anybody on the phone. I had like over twenty five hundred texts, which is crazy. So I'm down under three. I'm down under four. Hundred. I haven't cracked getting back to people, but it's been been amazing. But no, we texted great love for Lamar. Really everybody there a great love for him.
Speaker 2: When you were first let go, I had somebody say right away that it'll be between the Giants and the Falcons for you, that those were the two jobs that you'd be interested in.
Speaker 3: Was that fair accurate?
Speaker 9: I was interested in both those jobs, but not just those two. There was there were there were I talked to everybody, and uh, you really realize, Dan, when you talk to people in this circumstance, which you know, I don't necessarily recommend, but but it was really incredible to talk to the people at every organization, the owners, the GMS, UH, team presidents, all that they are. There's so many great people in this league. You go to the owners meeting, you've been there, and you get into that group that that football is a huge, you know stage, but it's a small circle. And you get in that group and you and you realize that, you know, we all have the same things. We're all fighting the same fights, we're all fighting the same battles, we're all the same concerns. We're just trying to do our best families. The kids are running around and and you and you feel that kind of sense of, I don't know, just a shared understanding for what you do. And then you talk to them about their job and you realize how important it is to them what they're trying to accomplish, and you try to visualize yourself in that job with them. And really, I could visualize myself in every one of those jobs with every one of the groups I talked to. You really can do that because there's so many good people and every job in this league is amazing.
Speaker 3: What'd you do with your Ravens gear?
Speaker 9: I kept a little. I kept a couple of things, some of the nicer stuff, Yeah, I kept a couple A couple uh uh quarter zips, kept a couple of championship hats.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do with them?
Speaker 9: Well, uh, someday you know the company. I got a good a good hoodie that I really liked. I kept that an insulated hand pocket. I don't know. I mean you can't get really good stuff. All the other stuff I tossed, I mean I didn't toss I gave it the friends and Goodwill. Goodwill made it. Killing good guy. We stopped accepting our stuff at one point. Well not not raven stuff, but they took all the Ravens stuff, but some of the other stuff. They're like, we've got, we have enough, we don't want any more.
Speaker 3: Congrats, good luck and thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's let's see if you can pull off of Mike Vrabel there with the g men.
Speaker 9: I appreciate that. Dan, great as always, you're the best. You're awesome. We did it. We did a show. Remember in Minnesota, we did a show.
Speaker 2: You did great with that super Bowl coverage because you know, you go in there and you're like, just tell me what to do and I'll answer the questions when you asked. But we were outside there for a little while in Minnesota and we spent you know, we spent some quality time together there.
Speaker 9: We did we we we we we had that we didn't huddle close together to stay warm, but we could have. It was cold. Yeah, But you were a great teacher. You were a great teacher, a great leader. You were great at what you do. I just an honored to be on the show with you.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, buddy, who has it better than we do? No, thank you, coach. That's a on Harble, the Giants head coach. He was with the Ravens for eighteen seasons, won a Super Bowl as well. Yeah, I had to ask the merchandise the swag because Paulie always wants to know, Hey, what are you doing with all of your gear from your former team and the fact that, like when you wear out your Ravens stuff if you're still the head coach of the Giants, Hey, I got a nice hoodie here, you can't wear it? Well, take a break here, we'll get to your phone calls.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Mike Turko will join us from the Winter Olympics coming up next hour.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 13: WAP Soti gots here. I have a podcast empire. It continues to grow and I have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because.
Speaker 14: My wife wanted to kick me out of the house.
Speaker 13: It's called Stegts and Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes. Every single day, some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone calls.
Speaker 11: I love you got your show.
Speaker 4: It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 13: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gottson Company and Steve Gotson Company Live. So listen to Steve Godson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. Do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Get a couple of phone calls in there.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: John Harball worked the Super Bowl in Minneapolis with me. He did a great job. And he came in the way and I said this before about Tony Dungee and Rodney Harrison. You're rookie and don't act like you know TV. You know football, but you don't know TV. I'll help you with a TV part of it. You take care of the football part. And John was great and it was cold. They had us outside for I don't know, maybe an hour for the pregame, so it was eight hours and then we had to get a police escort to take us to the stadium where we got to continue with the pregame.
Speaker 3: But that was a long day, long day.
Speaker 2: Then you had to do halftime, then I had to hand out the super Bowl Trophy post show. I was exhausted because that started at like seven in the morning and went till midnight. But it was really rewarding that you get to host the pregame show and you get to hand out the super Bowl Trophy.
Speaker 3: Very very lucky to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: James in Cincinnati, Hi, James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: What up?
Speaker 6: DP six to one A slender one ninety. I just wanted to call and see if I could put in my application for the Dead Dad's Club. I lost my dad last week and we used.
Speaker 10: To always watch your show on the Audience Network and listen to it on the radio on road trips, and so I just wanted to give a shout out to Pistol Pete Mortimore and hopefully we're gonna have some beers for him today.
Speaker 6: I hope you guys do as well on your meat Friday.
Speaker 2: Thank you, James, and welcome to the Club. Dead Dad's Club T shirts available at Dan Patrick dot Com. Yes, And I don't really think there's an application process. I think you're automatically into it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's enough paperwork, there's not any you have to show ID none that you're just in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you qualify when your dad does. We don't even check records or anything. You're just in.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you know somebody's dad has done. But people are really I was saying they're dying to get into the club, but that's not what I meant, Todd. I wasn't trying to be no, I'm not trying to be yes, Dylan.
Speaker 14: Do you think anyone's lied to get their way?
Speaker 2: I don't know that. I don't know that. We you know, the I team is normally on this kind of stuff. But you know, I told PAULI, let's worry about other things.
Speaker 7: That would be a big problem. There was some type of Dead Dad's Club fraud happening, I would be upset about that. It's not it's not that great of a club to get into. I'm guessing I'm not in it.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 7: I'm not like in a rush to get in it. I wouldn't fake it to get in there.
Speaker 14: I'm with Seating on that one. I think I'll enjoy him while he's still around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Todd part of the Dead Dad's Club.
Speaker 9: Yes, I am.
Speaker 16: Is there a window of time we have to wait from a from a moment your dad passes to contacting us or getting that shirt in the mail?
Speaker 8: How does that work?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: No, he said that they used to listen and watch the show and he died last week, and probably turning on the show and brings back the memories of watching him with his Dan, and so does a cat be like, Hey.
Speaker 8: Dan, Frank Georgia, thanks for having me.
Speaker 14: I just want to let you know a moment ago, what do we think the shortest I think someone called in and like they were like, my dad died last night. Can I be in the club? I think that actually happened.
Speaker 3: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, we all grieve in different ways, and then you know, if we can provide some kind of laughter, uh, some warmth, welcoming, Come on in the Dead Dad's Club. Marvin's in it, Paulie's in it, Pritzy's in it. I'm in it.
Speaker 7: It's a it's a growing club, by the way. Every day, Yeah, every every day it grows.
Speaker 14: At least that really just leaves me and seating in our own club.
Speaker 3: I guess that's okay.
Speaker 7: Alive Dad's Club, the very underappreciated.
Speaker 10: A live.
Speaker 3: Record gets no record.
Speaker 7: You're right recognition on this show, and we don't have a T shirt made up for the Alive Dad ADC.
Speaker 3: Nobody talks about the AC.
Speaker 8: I definitely want to be at that club, but it's just too late.
Speaker 3: Uh Ad. Nate and Richmond, Good morning, Nate. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 15: Dan at six feet clean mean one eighty five. Shout out to Jonathan Lesley. I know you're listening. I know we talked about tanking a lot, but I have a resolution that I know and here no one's really talking about. So looking to expand the league, whether it's a G League and a European HASHPOSH. So what they should do is go European style as well, and the bottom two teams would get regulated to the next league, and the top two leagues of the European G League HASHPASH League would move up to the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that won't happen, but they're going to have expansion in Seattle in Las Vegas. I like relegation in college football, but you know, you have these cities and the amount of money the infrastructure takes to be able to build these stadiums, everything around those stadiums, and then all of a sudden, if you got relegated college football, you could do that. I saw were North Dakota State, They're they're joining the big boys. I was kind of surprised at that because it allowed them when they were winning all those championships that you know, people would focus on you because you ended up winning your last game, you won a championship there. You know it might have been you know, FBS, but still you ended up winning a championship. You stood out because of that. And now are they joining the Mountain West. That is massive, massive news.
Speaker 3: Yea, yes, Dylly.
Speaker 14: Well, would you rather be like big fish small pond or make the leap because they've had a pretty good time dunking on everyone in the FCS for a while. Yeah, but more money comes with it too, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But their schedule, they weren't afraid to, you know, schedule a game with Minnesota or some of these other you know, Division I programs. But yeah, I don't know that that that one's tricky because yes, you do want to be part of big time college football. But it felt like they were part of big time college football because they weren't afraid to play anybody and they would end up winning championships. It's like Mount Union in Division three. Mount Union in Ohio had an incredible run winning championships, but that opportunity to elevate your program, You're probably not going to end your season with a victory unless it's in a bowl game instead of a national title game. Wes in Boise, Hi, Wes, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 5: Six two to ten. So in order to kind of ditch the tanking, I think we need to incentivize owners. Owners is where the bucks falls.
Speaker 15: And if you.
Speaker 5: Give owners a ten year window to say, hey, if your team's not successful, you're in the bottom five for consecutive years, you're forced to sell the team.
Speaker 2: Paul came up with this idea that we're going to give you ten years and if you don't make the playoffs in the ten years, then you have to sell a team.
Speaker 3: That wouldn't go over well.
Speaker 2: But I do I do like incentivizing the owner, Like why do I have to incentivize an owner to try to win? Hey, no tanking there all right, I promise I won't.
Speaker 7: Especially when the whole league is set up for maximum stability for owners, they are at zero risk of ever anything bad, ever happening to them whatsoever. A new team pops up, we get a huge chunk of money. These people win, We get a big chunk of money. There's revenue sharing that the sports leagues are made as comfortable as possible for billionaires. And then at the very minimum, all we ask is can you just at least try to be competitive as a team, And they're like, I don't know that I can. I really don't know that we can do that. I'm sorry, too much on the line.
Speaker 2: Josh in Texas, Hi, Josh, Yeah, nobody loses money owning a team.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they don't. They're all making money, and they're just not sure.
Speaker 7: I don't know that we can do something fan friendly.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hey, josh, USh, Hey, how are you great?
Speaker 17: Well, one of the other callers kind of stole my idea, but the relegation idea about the EPL maybe relegating down to the G League or whatever. But they seem to have like really good ideas. And the other one is, you know, if you don't spend enough money on your team. I liked the idea that you guys just mentioned about. It's kind of like the premise of F one, right, he was going to lose his team if they didn't win or get points or whatever. And then my other thing was, I think it's long overdue. Do we need a shirt that says.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 17: And on the back it says nobody.
Speaker 3: We do have that shirt.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's available now at Dan Patrick dot com, but I wore it while we're in San Francisco and it says who has it better than we do? And then on the back it says nobody. Ryan in Nashville, Hi, Ryan.
Speaker 15: Were indeed.
Speaker 18: Got an idea about how to fix the Pro Bowl?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, yeah we do.
Speaker 18: Let's do a Rue eighty I on and get your thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: Instead of doing the Pro Bowl, we'll have the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 18: You know, designation like you make the Pro Bowl like you're you know, like you're an All Pro. But so the Pro Bowl game, make it for the reserves, voted on by your your teammates. You have to play less than x amount of snaps. These guys are gonna be wanting to play. They're gonna be hungry. Put it on TV, you know, and uh, let the guys that want to play play and that would be fun.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people are gonna want to tune in to see Tommy Cutlet's play quarterback or something like that. But uh, you know, I guess there's no bad idea considering what the alternative is. But I, as Setan has said before, they they don't matter because they shouldn't matter. Like the game's okay, it's okay that it's not competitive. It's okay if somebody's not playing defense, I gets all right. I mean we're asking them to play hard. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 7: It doesn't mean anything. Yeah, why would we play hard? It's not a complicated like theory, you know.
Speaker 2: And you can't go, hey, you're going to make Like what do you make if you win the All Star Game? Do you make fifty thousand or is it more than that?
Speaker 19: Something like that? What does that matter to somebody that's making eighty million dollars a year?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 3: Lucas and Texas? H I Luke, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 20: Dan, good morning, Good morning you know, we have a lot of fun with Pritty, especially around Friday to thirteenth or any holiday that wants him to make up names. I want to give two quick reasons why Dan Nation loves Todds so much, and they both they both come through in the replays that you'll do on the commercial breaks on Peacock. So allow me two of them real quick. The first one sometimes I had to close caption on and I had it muted for some reason I can't remember, but I just remember looking briefly at the computer screen during commercial break, and all I saw was Fritzy, a mechanical bull and the word stop written about fifty times on the screen. It's a great moment. Loved it. It's always Alzheimer. The other one, you actually just showed it on Today's show, and I love it. It's when Fritzy was doing the calendar shoot of the car wash. Yeah, the fun is not so much with Fritzy in the car wash. It's I believe, the current backroom guy of the Year, Jay, whose job is to spray Fritzy. And there is a look on that man's face of how did my life lead to this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Jay is the big Germans brother and we were doing a calendar shoot and we thought we would have Fritzy and a tank top and short shorts and he would be on the car kind of writhing and Jay would have to water down Todd and he's smoking a cigarette and he's holding the hose and he's watering frits heat down. You know, there are times when I watch, if you watch on Peacock during the commercial break and we show all this archival footage.
Speaker 3: The guys in the back, they do.
Speaker 2: Rob does a wonderful job with this, make them timely, And there are times when I go, I don't remember that, because this is almost twenty years that we've been doing this, and there are so many moments where I go, I don't remember that. But usually with Todd I do remember.
Speaker 8: And Jay was into it a lot more than he let one.
Speaker 16: I don't care what his facial expressions, how many cigarettes you were smoking.
Speaker 3: He gave me a little winker. Yeah, yes, Dylan.
Speaker 14: There was also another video around that time with Jay where you took the pie for the calendar and at the end you just go, it's all about content, Jay, and he's goes right.
Speaker 3: Jay has lived an interesting life.
Speaker 2: He has lived and has some of the best quotes around here because he has no respect for what he do, because, as he says, all you do is turn on a microphone and talk. And he's right, that's what we do. I mean there's a little bit more to that. He goes, you can't even Tara roof and and he's right, I can't tar a roof. But uh he uh, he has some great quotes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: He doesn't have respect for our names either. Well, he doesn't know he didn't know Setan's name. He didn't know your name.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's like a couple of guys, what did he call you?
Speaker 8: Uh, Melvin, Oh, I'm so bad with names.
Speaker 1: A Mark.
Speaker 2: Mark, Yeah, and then Setan. I don't think he knew your name either.
Speaker 7: No, No, He's That happens a lot to me though. A lot of people call me like Sexton or sent In or I don't even know the name Senten.
Speaker 3: I don't know where that comes from.
Speaker 14: But sex Sexton came from Jay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he called you Sexton. Yes, uh.
Speaker 16: I Like every once in a while, so you know, people show up and when we do these remotes and they say how much they love the show and watch all the time and then they'll shake my head and say has it going Paul and say.
Speaker 14: What was going on?
Speaker 7: Marvin's like really there was an idea confused for Marvin a lot. Yeah, it happens more than you think. There was an actor who wanted to be on the show. This a long time ago, and he came into the studio in New York and he's like what what And he said that he was a big fan of the show, and he was like, what's what are these guys like, what are they doing?
Speaker 8: I was part of the pitch from like the publicist, you got to get this guy on.
Speaker 2: And then he didn't even realize that you guys were the Dan. He didn't know anything about the show. That's where the pr person's like, oh man, he loves and he never misses the show.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure you know your name either, which made it.
Speaker 3: I don't think he did. I don't think he did.
Speaker 8: Got at least know the host name. Come I help us out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, Uh, Chuck in Chicago, Hi, Chuck, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 11: Pat?
Speaker 12: Can I talk to Dan? Yes?
Speaker 11: Hey, this is this is This is Colly mccollin. Your favorite TODOV and favorite podcast listener, I want to tell you the Super Bowl show was outstanding. I mean, uh, just guess after guests, but who knew ceed Lamb was so funny. He was outstanding.
Speaker 12: Yes, and I want to tell you that this is Frank Kellendo was awesome as always. But in his visit prior to this, and by the way, his Todd is getting better, so he uh, in the in the visit prior to this, he said, he said, you know, you watch the mouth in the eyes, and he said, with Todd, he feels like he's eating his own face.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how he described his impersonation of Fritzy, that he's eating his face.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Chuck Kellyando's great, needs a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: But now there are times though it's hard to talk to him and just talk to him because eventually it leads into you know, John Gruden, Morgan Freeman, John Matten.
Speaker 3: You're like, hey, I'm just talking to Frank here, yes.
Speaker 8: And then boom, the segment's over. Then you make me leave you the next set.
Speaker 2: All right, we take a break here, more phone calls coming up. Busy final hour. We'll talk to the person who is calling the All Star game. He's Noah Eagle NBC. He'll join us, and Mike Trico will join us from the Winter Olympics. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Best Week in Sports? Let's go around the room. Who had the best week in sports? Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 16: This might be lame because it's too easy, but I think Sam Donald runs away with it.
Speaker 8: But hopefully you guys have something more creative than that one.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you come up with something more creative?
Speaker 16: Because I just I kept thinking about it and I couldn't think of anyone other than Sam Donald because it's Sam Donald's. I'm gonna just say Sam.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you do have your Valentine's Day sports name.
Speaker 8: Scratch, which will be less lame than my choice of Samwich.
Speaker 3: All right, Seaton best week in Sports?
Speaker 7: Possibly equally as lame, but maybe not quite as much. But Kenjamin Walker, the third Junior, the third that fella made himself a bunch of money, got himself a Super Bowl MVP as a running back, which almost never happens in this sort of modern age and as he's looking at a new contract that is well done. Fella, I hope he gets paid. Heck, I hope he gets paid. Heck yeah, Marvin, Mine might be a bit random. I'm gonna go Julius Irving. I've seen him promoting the ABA documentary Soul Power. I watched the first half of it. Unbelievable.
Speaker 19: It gives people a chance to see the real Julius Irvin. I think the ABA so Julis Irvins might pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people didn't get to see the real Julius Irving by the time he got to the NBA. In the Aba, he was every bit what Jorge was and then some. I mean he was dunking on people in traffic. He now he did that when he was with the seventy six ers, but to see him in person, I only saw him in person one time in the ABA, but I just remember in traffic him dunking.
Speaker 3: He wasn't a great shooter, but he didn't have to be.
Speaker 2: He took him to the hoop and he was going to make you pay, and he's gonna you know, we didn't know it was called being posterized back then we just knew that what's that full doing trying to block Doctor J And what a nice person too. He's always you know the fact that he allowed me during the NBA Finals in Utah with the Bulls and we played golf and there was a backup on like the fifteenth tee and there was a basketball court right on the other side of the tea box, and I said, Hey, let's go shoot, and so I lowered it to nine feet and then I said, Doc, would you stand underneath with your hands up and let me dunk on you?
Speaker 3: And he did.
Speaker 7: Kind of sad on my part that I'm asking Doc and I have to bring.
Speaker 2: It down to nine feet, and then he allowed me to dunk on him. Dylan best week in sports, all right?
Speaker 14: Dan Montana linebacker Solomon tulia Pupu getting his ninth year of eligibility granted the real Van Wilder football.
Speaker 2: Well you got Trinidad. Shambliss is going back to Old Miss. Imagine having lawyers argue for you to not go into the NFL draft.
Speaker 14: So weird.
Speaker 2: He'll make more money at Ole Miss than he will be in a third round draft pick. And he's going back for his sixth year Oh congratulations.
Speaker 3: Yes, huh somebody they go to class.
Speaker 16: Imagine being in a class and you're twenty five years old and there's like eighteen year olds around here. Don't you feel at some point like maybe it's time to move on with my life to the next chapter.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's so much money to be made with nil and if you can delay going to the NFL. I mean, Diego Pavilla would love to go back to Vandy because you know, he's not even six feet tall and is he going to be able to play in the NFL. Yeah, I can make a lot of money at Vanderbilt and go back there for another year or so. Jay in Indianapolis, Hi, Jay, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey Dan, thanks to taking my call. Love the show, loved the Dannette's just all to talk about the NBA. I have an idea for a shirt, for a T shirt for the show. Might be at first it would be a tank top with an NBA logo that just says thanks for nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the tank top with tanking NBA might discourage us from using their logo, though, I'm guessing. Dylan in San Diego, Hi, Dylan.
Speaker 18: Hey, what's up DP?
Speaker 4: Since you love love, I could really use your help right now. I recently asked my girlfriend, Hey, what did people write if I played golf Saturday morning?
Speaker 3: And I got to tell you? It did not go over well?
Speaker 4: And she immediately fired back and said, how about you just go with your boyfriends? And so I got to know it was about the right question to ask. Should I have not even asked it at all? Like, what's your what's your logic?
Speaker 15: VP?
Speaker 3: Well, I've only been married thirty eight years, so.
Speaker 2: I would say, Hey, I'm going to go play golf with my boyfriends, but I'm going to spend the rest of the day and night with you, my girlfriend, and you.
Speaker 3: Trade her like a like a queen.
Speaker 7: But as I said yesterday, I think we got to start taking back Valentine's Day a little bit like you know, equal equal rights here, you know, right.
Speaker 16: Ton, Yeah, but you have to at least tell her, you know, we're gonna go out for a nice dinner and give her an idea about that. You do have evening plans, your acknowledging Valentine's Day, this is not an all day affair. In the morning, we're gonna play some golf and then the rest of the day we'll be together and do something romantic. You've got to say that as part of a deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't just go, Hey, I'm going to play golf. Yeah see.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: My wife lately has been doing the like the preemptive We're not doing anything for this, right, which I appreciate.
Speaker 3: I'm like, babe, I.
Speaker 7: Mean yeah, but then I don't know. I get you the card and stuff like that. Are you getting set up though?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 7: No, I wouldn't get set up I don't think that she would do that, but I always get her a little something. Yeah, but she's like, we're not doing anything crazy, right, Are we going to CALLI?
Speaker 3: Endo? Oh you're going to go see you know?
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure I want to. I haven't been in contact with him, but I think the plan is a very romantic evening with Frank Kellendo. Okay, my wife and I all right, yeah, yeah, yes, uh Dylan.
Speaker 14: Well, I feel like, I mean, it seems like Valentine's is more of like a nighttime holiday anyways, So like I feel like you can sneak in a quick nine or eighteen yeah time or if pathivelys resistance is just play on Sunday.
Speaker 7: I don't know if your wife or girlfriend wants to spend the whole day with you. You're like a time, I'm gonna be honest with you. You know so sometimes makes the heart grow fonder if you go out now, don't have beers when you're playing golf, and then come back, well, no, no, don't do that and just say, hey, I'm gonna play eighteen And then I got plans. I got plans for us later on to today and tonight.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marv.
Speaker 19: A good plan is a pay for her to go out on a spa day, get her hair done, get her nails done, something like that. I don't do it, but if you wanted to, you should be able to do something like that.
Speaker 2: Nice because you can say, hey, I set up something. I'm gonna go play golf. Why don't you go to the spa and then we'll meet for lunch and I don't know, afternoon, delight, guest.
Speaker 3: Un My wife doesn't.
Speaker 16: Want to do anything on voll Time's day, but she doesn't want to do anything on the If you know what, I can't even do a trade off. I'll give you chocolates and flowers an ear exapt for this, not even that.
Speaker 8: That's not up for discussion.
Speaker 3: You poor guy, just throw.
Speaker 8: Under the bus. It's not that bad. But I'm just waiting for the next locking eclipse and then you know, we'll get.
Speaker 7: Something we don't like. I don't even ask This is never asked of you. You volunteer all of this stuff.
Speaker 8: I'll hear about it later, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Because I don't really want to know.
Speaker 8: No, who wants to picture those kinds of things picture in your parents.
Speaker 3: You don't want to know about that.
Speaker 8: I'm an immaculate conception.
Speaker 14: ID would have been. The biathlete is like I cheated on my wife three months? Yeah, yeah, No one asked.
Speaker 16: We're not doing anything for bounty, say, and I mean, we're not doing anything one.
Speaker 2: Uh final hour. Well head to the Winter Olympics. Talk to Mike Tarico. I hope you'll join his final hour in this meet Friday right around the corner.