Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Our number two of the drive here on campus Saint Vincent College. Of course, it's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage here under twenty four to seven Home of the Black and the Gold. Matt first hour of the show. I think we kind of went heavy into today's practice and really the first few practices to this point. I wanted to transition with you here to start hour number two. One of the analysts around the league that you and I are fans of, Mike Sando, of course, covers the NFL for the athletics, and every single year it feels like we keep an eye on his quarterback tiers, and he has listed his twenty twenty six NFL quarterback tiers. How fifty executives and coaches rank thirty five quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Mike and I were together at ESPN for ten years. We were you know, there was a stretch there that we wrote a weekly article together that was kind of fun. By the way, he would just call me like every Wednesday night and we'd chat for like a half hour, and then that night an article would go up of just our conversation. You know, It's kind of it was kind of a cool way of doing things general way I have the only time I've ever done articles that way. I consider h my friend seem at the owners meetings gone by and those type of things. Great dude learned his trade basically from John Clayton actually nice yeah, out in the Seattle area. And this is kind of like Warren Sharp's book or you know the football Almanac that comes out from FTN. It's kind of a monumental day of the of the year when Sando's quarterback tiers come out. Then I'm not taking anything away from Jeremy Fowler, but Sandos started this approach. Yes, and then when Fowler replaced him at ESPN, he kept up with these executives and accumulating votes and all those type of things, and he goes really deep in the quarterback stuff as you can imagine.
Speaker 2: So again this is not just his opinion. This is a polled from fifty different executives and coaches around the league. Four tiers of quarterback rankings, ranking thirty five quarterbacks because like for example, Kyler Murray and JJ McCarthy are both on here, Deshaun Watson, Shador Sanders, so some of the teams with the unknown like you know Tua and Michael Pennix in Cleveland, so a little bit over thirty two because of the subma the world m yes, correct, The clear cut.
Speaker 3: Is not on there, yes, yeah, as a rookie, yes.
Speaker 2: Right, And Mendoz is not on there as a rookie, and clear cut backups not on here too. Just some of the true quarterback competition that we do have in a couple of training camps. Tier one is four names, Patrick Mahomes number one, Josh Allen two, Matt Stafford three, and Joe Burrow four. That's Tier one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was a little shocked that Lamar.
Speaker 2: Now granted he's fifth, he's number one and Tier two, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess it's all about the math and your votes, and you have to have x amount to be in each tier. You have to average out tool less than a two, you know, one point three or whatever. It is a Tier one guy. So I guess we're splitting hairs because the top five or the top five I would have. But I don't think by any stretch, Lamar should not be a Tier one guy. And this sounds dumb because Mahomes, I think is the best quarterback that ever lived, and I sing his praises to no end. I expected Alan to be one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, especially off of Mahomes coming last couple of years ago, off a year where he wasn't healthy and wasn't at his best.
Speaker 3: Do you think any of our listeners are going Burrow can't be in Tier one, not because he's a ban one, maybe because.
Speaker 2: Maybe because he's a Bengal, because he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't run great.
Speaker 2: I think he's missed what fifteen games over the last three years or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's hard to put on the back burner. He would still be in my Tier one. Might say he shouldn't I think.
Speaker 2: He would still be in my Tier one. I bet you there's some listeners that disagree with both Burrow and uh and Lamar in that in that vein. You can get at us on Twitter if you if you want to chime in on that. I will say this though, for for Joe Burrows, I don't want to say legacy because he's not even thirty yet. I don't think he's got a long time to But for Joe Burrow, what he's viewed at present day, right now, his current legacy, there's a lot on the line for this year. I agree because I mean it's it's now been what it's been five years since that Super Bowl appearance. It's been a long time. It's and we already cast we all know it's. This is a very much what have you done formulately type league where even you know Mahomes is starting to not this one, but Mahomes is starting to fall down on some of these lists. He's won three Super Bowls, and Ben.
Speaker 3: Like, I can't imagine Mahomes not being in a Tier one next year. Sure, and he's had such a body of work and so many wins and rings, et cetera, et cetera, where Burrow. If they go seven and ten and he misses four games, again, it might be like he's six or seventh on this list. It works, right, you know, something like Dak has a huge year and bumps on them or who knows. You know.
Speaker 2: So Tier two is from fifth down to seventeenth. That's those are the rankings there. Fire probably the biggest Tier two, pretty big Tier two leading off with Lamar Jackson at five, as I mentioned, and then Justin Herbert checks in at six.
Speaker 3: I think he would be my six as well. I know that the it's hard to ignore this point that the postseason success has not been there at all this past year. I think he dragged them into the You that if you're the twelfth best quarterback, I don't even think they're in the dance. So how much do you weigh that? But his numbers, his performance is epa like that in the postseason are definitely lacking. And that's the last piece of his resume. But he could be a Tier one guy next year. He's actually a coordinator, you know.
Speaker 2: He certainly could. Number seven is Dak Prescott formally with Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Again, I forget which podcast I was listening to, but I heard today that it might have been the Athletic Podcast. Come and think of it that I think he's a fifteen to one MVP shot. I think i'd put a buck on that. That pays off pretty well because they could be the best offense in the league.
Speaker 2: They absolutely could. Yeah, they certainly could. That's it they man, they could put up a ton of points ten yards. Dak checks it at number seven. Eighth place is a two way tie mat between Drake May and Jared Goff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I looked through these, so I've Actually I didn't read all the write ups I wrote the Red the Rogers one, but I did see all the lists. I expected May to be a little higher. His postseason wasn't wonderful, but boy, I think his future is so very bright. Yeah, he's he's a real He's here to stay. I think he's here to stay. Maybe maybe he won't be the MVP runner up next year, but he I think is going to be perennially in the top ten of this list for a long time. I'll be shocked if ten years from now we're sitting here and it's like, remember that one year May had agreed Super Bowl since then, he's just been blah. I just don't see that being the case.
Speaker 2: So May and Golf tie for eight. So number ten is Jordan Love. Yeah, Golf Golf in May tied for eighth place there in terms of the voting and some respect you, I think I'd probably have him a few steps further down, like I think, I think i'd have Jordan Love and Caleb Williams and some of these guys in front of him.
Speaker 3: There's more playmakers, yes, But I.
Speaker 2: Also think Jared Goff has long since shaken that reputation that he was just a Sean McVay creation and couldn't win games anywhere else.
Speaker 3: Or he wasn't worth the first overall pick. Right, if Mendoza has his career, that's worth the first overall pick, absolutely, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Number ten is Jordan Love. He checks in at number ten.
Speaker 3: I bet he's sort of divisive, yeah, I mean, just because he plays such an aggressive style and he doesn't It's not that he's a bad athlete, but he doesn't do a ton with his legs, and he has aided a fair amount by a very good offensive system. But I'm cool with Jordan Love. Man. I love the way he plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think he's one of the guys too that I think if if I had to pick him to go up or down on this list, I think I would pick him to move up. Yeah, I think he's I think he's still got some Sure he's a Tier three guy, Yes, sir, I think I've got some more. He's got some more juice in his game to squeeze still. Number eleven is a tie once again between Caleb Williams and Brock Purty.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw the little blurb on Party Party's getting some respect. It was kind of interesting. I said something like stronger than you think, better than you think, And I think that's true. I mean I really had a hard time respecting Party his rookie year. I'm like, this is a story that's just going to fall part and it hasn't at all.
Speaker 2: Hey, from mister from mister irrelevant to h to number eleven on this list, So.
Speaker 3: Those Caleb could win MVPs too, he certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he's another one that I think could move up on this list. He's I think he's got to do it for one more year to truly prove that he's round at that corner and is who we thought he was going to be coming out of college, but last year was a really good step in the right direction. And with Ben Johnson at the Helm, I think he's in one of the best situations possible.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, coaches embracing it, and they're both feeding off each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, number thirteen on this list, matt Is Jaden Daniels of the Washington Commander still checks in pretty high here, firmly in Tier two despite a rocky year filled with injuries last year.
Speaker 3: I probably would have him higher. I mean, one year ago, I thought he was one of the ones most likely to knock on the door for a two to go up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, this past year didn't go great, but I don't think it was his fault at all. Injuries. I have two big concerns about Daniels. Neither are his fault. He's got a lot of injuries going back to LSU, and he's a wiry guy like that. I don't really trust the organization or his supporting cast. I think that they're going to be two Daniels dependent.
Speaker 2: I'm worried of that. Yeah, and it could be could be another year then picking in the top ten and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and coaching change and change, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Correct? Correct? He checks in at thirteen fourteenth place, a tie here between two guys Baker Mayfield and finally Matt Sam Darnold appears on this list. I thought he would be a few spots higher after the year. I understand it was one year, but I feel like the last couple of years he's been it's really been two yeah, and getting the super Bowl and everything that he did this past year. But he checks in tied at fourteenth with Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 3: I forget what the blurb is. Just there's a blurb like right next to their names. It says something like Baker is the biggest roller coaster at their quarterback position they've ever seen, or something like that, which I think I kind of chuckled. I'm like, that's dead on, and part of the roller coaster was great, some of it's a disaster. You hope Donald doesn't have those trades. He seemed to have found his level footing where the lows aren't this extreme anymore.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point, very good point, and that's I think been a big key to what we've seen from him the last two years. So those two tie for fourteenth sixteenth place. Then is Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: I would have him.
Speaker 2: I would have him higher.
Speaker 3: Four or five spots. Tis a lot of these names we just brought up. I think Lawrence is more talented, put up a lot better tape than some of them last year. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if he could ever be tier one the super prospect. I mean, that's not fair to him, but I think he's well worth the first overall pick as well, well worth the contract ascending also benefits from a good coach.
Speaker 2: And then the last one here in Tier two, Matt rounding up the kind of almost first half of this list since thirty five teams, so not an exact midway point, but about the midway here. Last guy in tier two Jalen Hurts of the Philadelphia Eagles, seventeenth overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a hard time backing Hurts. His style of play isn't for me. I mean, he's the only name I could see possibly getting benched out of this list, and I know that he.
Speaker 2: Probably won't, but of all the guys we've mentioned so far, he would be the one most likely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that there's a new system installed there. I think there's a blurb something along the lines of, you know, you can't rely on your athleticism and strength and speed forever. You got to become more of a refined old school quarterback, and I think that's lacking right now.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm with you. It's a big year, big year for Jalen Hurtsay, Listen, He's always going to be a Super Bowl champion, oh yeah, yeah, and you won't be able to take that away from him. But in terms of his long term future in both Philadelphia and the National Football League, this is a big year for him. Matt, I do want to get to tier three and tier four of this list, the back half of this list. But we have two more pieces of breaking news coming across the timeline here. The first, the Bears and our guy Darnell Wright have agreed to a four year hod and sixteen million dollars stat making him one of the NFL's highest paid tackles. Ninety three million of that guaranteed.
Speaker 3: So you're hoping Falton who follows suit, you know, and that's kind of neighborhood you're gonna be thinking about when it's his turn. There aren't many right tackles I would take Overwright in terms of who I want now and going forward. Masher trendsetter. A lot of money getting thrown around this league right now.
Speaker 2: He's he's an absolute stud. He really is, according to Jeremy Fowler, biggest deal ever for a right tackle, most guaranteed money ever for an offensive lineman in league history.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, I mean he. I guess he is to the point at his age where most ever numbers are in play.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely. And then the second piece good enough to play WU though wasn't good enough to be recruited at WU by Daniel Holgerson. But he can sign a one hundred billion dollar contract in the NFL. I'm in hell, Matt Williamson. Another piece of news across the timeline here just a few minutes ago. That's unfortunate. The young promising edge rusher from the Atlanta Falcons, Jalen Walker.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's one of my faves.
Speaker 2: Feared to have torn his ACL line practice.
Speaker 3: I mentioned I did a Carolina podcast, but our six pack was Carolina and Atlanta, and I, well, I guess that's actually kind of good for the Steelers. I shouldn't say that, but because we were talking about that, those edge guys I was talking about how they finally found a passer, yes, you know, and I thought they were so smart to keep Jeff Olbrick their defensive coordinator. And It's been a while since I've quoted the staff, but I love it, and it was going into last year. Over the last five years, Steelers had the most Saxon League, Falcons had the least. Over the last ten years, Steelers have had the most Saxon League, Falcons have had the least. Over the last twenty years, Falcons have had the least amount of Saxon League, Steers had the most. Like this has been a two decade long problem of having. And maybe they overpaid for Walker and Pierce, you know, gave it that first round pick. But I said just five minutes or ten minutes ago in my room that Walker is a home run pick. I think he's going to be phenomenal player. And then we were talking about Pierce because I guess Peers, we know he got in trouble. He did some sort of deal where charges were dropped or whatever, but they still are assuming he's gonna be suspended a long time. NFL can still do whatever they want, Yes, So I hate injuries. I don't feel for someone to get suspended for doing something wrong to a woman, correct, But it sounds pretty unlikely that those d rushers are going to play in Week.
Speaker 2: One, which, as you mentioned, is a good thing for the Pittsburgh steel Yeah. Oh yeah, as much as as much as it breaks my heart about what I know, that's a real bummer. He really uh was one of the more fun younger guys to watch, and hey, I guess there's always the hope that they could get him an MRI and it's not as bad as they feared. But it seems like all reports that they think he tore his a cl in a tough, tough start to camp here for the Atlanta Falcons, and that.
Speaker 3: Penix isn't playing yet. Yeah, I mean too have missed a little time already. You wouldn't they did extend.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, though, you wanted the good vibes of extending Beijon to permeate here for a couple days, and then you get that devastating news.
Speaker 3: That's rough man foundation player.
Speaker 2: All the best to him and hopefully for a for a full recovery. We'll continue talking some quarterback tiers as we roll along here, in hour number two, Euler and Williamson live on the campus of Saint Vincent College High attop Chuck Nolefield. It's all part of our training camp coverage ongoing on Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live covery Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here, going through Mike Sandos. Twenty twenty six Quarterback Tiers compiled by you Know Conversations and rankings with over or with part of me, fifty executives and coaches around the league. Four guys in Tier one twelve guys in Tier two, we now move into Tier three. Eighteenth overall. Matt leading off Tier three is Bonix.
Speaker 3: Okay, a little bit more of a roller coaster than I, well, a lot more than I expected. Like when he came out of Oregon, I thought he's going to be a take care of the ball, especially when Peyton drafted him distributor just do whatever the coach says. A lot of dumps to the running backs, things of that nature. But he's more athletic and he's more volatile than I thought, which is good and bad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very surprised when he ended up being a first round pick. I have very much choice, maybe even more so than than I was when Jackson Dart was you know, two years ago. But I think he's definitely proved that he's been worth it, and I think that's a good way to put it. He's he's better, certainly than I thought he was going to be. Still a lot of volatility to his game. He's another guy, big year for him here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: So you know how we played go fish sometimes or you know, door number two hypothetical Steelers. He's the first round pick on a quarterback, and when he's Nix's age and experience, he's exactly where Nicks is. Would you take it?
Speaker 2: Go Fish?
Speaker 3: I think i'd go fish too. Yeah. Absolutely, it's not the worst thing. I mean, they went to the Final four and they may have even won the Super Bowl if he stays healthy. But I'll go Fish.
Speaker 2: I will go Fish. I want to step into the batter's box and hit a home run where he feels like a gap into the a double into the gap.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't imagine a world where he turns into a Tier one.
Speaker 2: Guy number nineteen of this parish, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: He's got to be a tough one on these guys. I'm sure some of the longtime executives that remember you know that the best of him are harsh. I mean, I probably have a hard time ranking him this low, but he has deficiencies at this time and he's got what are some of the right up to it. I did read his but I mean I thought there were some interesting things in there. Hold on, and I don't really have a problem with that number. Here's another go fish going Yeah, would you say he's nineteen nineteen? If he's in nineteenth, best quarterback when twenty twenty six regular season ends, do you take that or go fish cool? I probably take a good number.
Speaker 2: I probably take that because I think even realistically, yeah, you're not going to get that much higher. You could maybe get you can maybe get fourteenth, Yeah, but I think you can thirty. You could get a lot lower.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess if he really starts to s I think.
Speaker 2: I think I would too. I think that's about right. I mean, I'd love it to be fifteenth instead of nineteenth. Yeah, but you're still kind of right in that middle ground. What was the blurb you wanted to know on Aaron Say?
Speaker 3: There's a couple of things in there. I thought this were interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the write up. He's not able to make the magic like he used to. He's a third tier quarterback at best. He can still throw it. I love Aaron. This is from a NFC defensive coordinator. He can still throw it. I love Aaron. He's a tough he's a tough and mother mother bad word. But he holds the ball too long and lacks mobility. They come out again.
Speaker 3: I found that interesting. I mean, there are snaps that he held the ball too long.
Speaker 2: But he also had like one of the quickest rest points in the league.
Speaker 3: The biggest complaint is most today just gets it out too quick and doesn't let plays developed.
Speaker 2: You know, they come out against Buffalo one score game turnover for a touchdown. He did not get rid of the ball on time. He is not able to make that magic like he used to. Aaron Rodgers once made ten consecutive appearance is in Tier one, spent one year.
Speaker 3: Into that nuts when they go back to the history of what he's.
Speaker 2: Done and now is in his second season in Tier three.
Speaker 3: I don't know if anyone's been ten ten straight years in Tier one, including like Brady, and it's wild. I think he's only done this like twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Short like Mahomes might be able to do it.
Speaker 3: He probably beaten on the door.
Speaker 2: But man, I'll tell you what, that's good, pretty darn good. Number twenty Matt is c J. Stroud, perhaps the quarterback with the most at stake in the entire NFL this season.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a little harsh.
Speaker 2: I think I think a little.
Speaker 3: Recency bias of how they played in the playoffs because this regular season wasn't that bad.
Speaker 2: But I would still take him over Baker Mayfield. I would still take him over probably Jalen Hurts at this point. Maybe there's there's a few of those names ahead of him there that I would definitely. I think i'd take him over Bownecks, honestly, just because the good that we've seen is it's very good.
Speaker 3: Like you could convince me that I wouldn't go fish on Steet's first round pick turning in.
Speaker 2: His shroud, especially if he finds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'll be here two next year.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for his sake that he does, because I like C. J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 2: I think it was a lot of fun to watch his rookie year twenty one. Is Daniel Jones, Danny Dimes.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's had a I mean, if when you look at the ski the scope of his entire career, he's probably had under a dozen real good games or yeah, plus games. But there is ability there. I mean, he'll throw over the middle, he'll he doesn't have a bad arm or he's not super deficient. He's a really good athlete. I guess that's about right. But I don't think there's any name we mentioned that he should be over.
Speaker 2: I would agree with you on that like I had much of their stroud, if much stroud right, I'd be interesting to see how you would compare Daniel Jones at twenty one to the guy who checks in at twenty two. It's Bryce Young of the Carolina Paints.
Speaker 3: I'll take Jones. Yeah, Young's not for me.
Speaker 2: He's not I know you're massizes mazes.
Speaker 3: Just damn. I'm sorry. He gets ragged all, he gets beat up. He has hard time seeing it's a crucial season for him. He does do some good things. He's definitely gotten better, but he's just not for me.
Speaker 2: When other small quarterback checks in right behind him at twenty three, it's New Minnesota Viking Kyler Murray.
Speaker 3: I bet he's higher.
Speaker 2: I would best here.
Speaker 3: He deserves to be here. Now there's questions about him, don't getting wrong.
Speaker 2: I think he'll trend up, though. I don't know if he'll ever get back into being a tier two guy like he was at times, but I think he'll trend up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think this year will be good for his career and someone will pay him.
Speaker 2: Number twenty four is Jackson Dart of the New York Giants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know my thoughts on him.
Speaker 2: I mean this is probably about the right range for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, there's still a lot to be written in that book. But I don't think he's as talented as people think he is as a thrower, and he also is learning a big learning curve from the offense he came from and doesn't protect himself, but I wish his arm was stronger.
Speaker 2: Twenty five is cam Ward of the Tennessee Titans. Could see him moving up this list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has to be low, but I traded a stud a first round pick for him, and I just think his future is really, really bright. But he could be on a terrible organization for his whole rookie deal when sure could gets kind of forgotten.
Speaker 2: Twenty six is a tie between two names here both in the NFC South, Tyler Shuck and Tua tag of Viola.
Speaker 3: I'll take Shuck way over to way over to I'll take.
Speaker 2: I'll probably takes Shucked over exactly right, Bryce Young, Jackson Dart and maybe even Daniel Jones at this point.
Speaker 3: On you Yeah, he proved a lot to me, and you know, I liked him a lot coming after school, but you did. Everyone talks about how what he is only twenty six.
Speaker 2: I know, which for a quarterback. Hey, if you get another ten really good years.
Speaker 3: Out of it. Yeah, I mean some of these guys stay forever anyway. I mean, that's that could be next to you. His first round pick might be twenty five, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so Tua and and Shuck tie for twenty six. So at twenty eight in the last player in tier three, Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: Toughie Val pretty limited at this point, placeholder.
Speaker 2: But still but still you could definitely do worse.
Speaker 3: I think you can still do worse, right like I would might try to Rogers. Yes, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Quest without a doubt. And then Matt, there is what let's see here, seven names to round this thing out in tier four, starting with twenty ninth overall, Malik Willis.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: He could move up.
Speaker 3: He could definitely move up. I mean, his situation is not gonna do him any favors. He's being you a receiver. But he could convince the Dolphins that they don't need a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Could we play receiver for the Miami Dolphins. I think that's uh. I think that would come with a nice It might be brutal, Matt, but it would come with a nice pay grade, pay bump for you and I I think put us in bad they can put us on the league minimum. I would still be I'd still take it thirtieth overall.
Speaker 3: Gino Smith, Yeah, again, I think I blame his surroundings more than him. But there's no way to say he had a good year.
Speaker 2: No, And there's no way to rank him ahead of some of these people that have been ranked ahead of them.
Speaker 3: I mean, would I rather play against him or Bryce Young? Right now? Maybe I would pick Bryce Young. I'd rather play against Young. Yeah, but Young had a better year than them last year. You know.
Speaker 2: I think Gino could move up to the twenty two to twenty three range. Yeah, from thirty. But I think that's about it. It'll be an interesting to see what happens with him and how much of that was just decline on his part verse what was a terrible situation for everybody there in Vegas. Thirty one Matt is Deshaun Watson of the Cleveland Brands. I don't know how he can direct them. We haven't seen him in forever.
Speaker 3: I don't know. You have to put a four on him if you're an executive or code. I mean totally.
Speaker 2: I think I would and would have probably had him dead last on this list, but.
Speaker 3: His teammates dead last.
Speaker 2: Actually his teammate is dead last. Not to spoil it, but thirty second is Michael Penox Junior. So that's the second Falcon on the list.
Speaker 3: They haven't been good, but Pennix and McCarthy to me, are really incomplete.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Pennock's even more so than McCarthy, Yeahcarthy. Thirty three is Jacobe Brissette of the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: I think the thing they said about him and then the blurb part was just like that's what a Fear four guy is all about, Like that's the constant. And he made it as a compliment, you know, like he's a placeholder. He's a pro. You can win games with him, sure, but we know what he is at this point. Yes, I don't think he's going to reinvent himself.
Speaker 2: Thirty four JJ McCarthy in thirty five Shador Sanders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the two you'd have to probably rank lowest. I think I got much to go off of the spot.
Speaker 2: I certainly think so, Although if.
Speaker 3: You had Watson last, i'd totally understand I might have.
Speaker 2: That's the one that I might have had last because it's just when was the last time we saw him do anything right?
Speaker 3: Like Kirk Cousins is way better than Watson right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, without it in terms of what we say, in terms of what you see in which.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: If you Matt had to had to have JJ McCarthy or Shador Sanders as your starting quarterback this year, who would you go with McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, he looks really lost. He looks like he's really really swimming. And I'm a fan of their offensive system and their head coach, and he's done really good things with quarterbacks. But I did see a study on McCarthy that his degree of difficulty of things that were being asked of him was really really high in terms of just not a lot of layup throws, you know, not a lot of play action rollouts, half field reads. You know. They kind of threw him in the deep end, probably a little bit too much. So there's a question for you, like, if you were to we saw like Darnold's career get reclimated, and Daniel Jones and Baker and some of these dudes that were high picks that didn't work out in their first off or just work took a long time, if you had to roll the dice on like Pennix McCarthy or like Anthony Richardson. I'm not saying for the Steelers, but maybe for Steelers. I mean, if you get it for.
Speaker 2: Nothing, man, those guys. My first thaw was Anthony Richardson. But I'm honest enough to admit richards I'm honest enough to admit that that might just be because he's the one of those three that I've seen the least that we've seen the least, never on the field. He's never on the field the other two. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they've had a completely of health.
Speaker 3: They're always complete.
Speaker 2: But we've seen more at least of the other two, and I haven't loved what we've seen, whereas Richardson obviously haven't loved what we've seen, but it's only been a very small sample size.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I may he would see him in college heart.
Speaker 2: I think he would be the one, and he's got just I think I think a higher level of natural gifted talent in athleticism than the other two.
Speaker 3: He had the best combine performance of any quarterback in the history of the right combine, right, just in terms of numbers, and.
Speaker 2: He's got ideal build and a lot of that stuff. And not that you know, Pennox is tiny. But but Richardson, I think it would. I think it would definitely be Richardson, now that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 3: One of those guys might hit like Donald. Yeah, I just think people write these guys off too quick. Oh, I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, especially now, we've just seen so many examples of in the last ten to fifteen years of quarterbacks who were cast aside. Yeah and then yeah, not that they turned out to be all pros, but I mean Sam Donald, I think is the ultimate example. Yeah, at this one or at this point. But you've got the Ryan Tannehills and the Geno Smiths and even Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot that guy.
Speaker 2: We've seen a lot of those where they thought, all right, there's absolutely nothing there and you're able to to, you know, carve out a nice role for yourself and have some good years. And yeah, Anthony Richardson I think would be my pick of those guys. But it's a it's not the u not the most encouraging crop.
Speaker 3: No, Like you look at McCarthy and of course he didn't play great, but it wasn't long ago that he was a pretty high pick and missed his whole rookie year basically because of injury, not really his fault, and he probably will lose the starting job to Kyler. So if Kyler stays healthy all year, we don't know anything about him, you know, if the Vikings are looking to trade him or dump them.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a sunken cost, almost like, yeah, can you.
Speaker 3: Ever the new team is I don't know anything more about him than I did at Michigan. Really, nothing's good, sure, but why not throw those teams six six round picks those type of guys, right.
Speaker 2: And maybe we'll be in a situation next year, Matt where that's something we'll discuss as a possibility for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right or right? Because those options are always out there, they don't often hit. But like I thought about this with the Rams, like I don't love Ty Simpson and I'm not going to kill them for the Ty Simpson pick, but I think I would rather just like drafted Makai Lemon there and throwing a six round pick get Richardson and resigned Garoppolo and just let him sit for a year and marinate and just learn.
Speaker 2: Go to QB school TV seminars every single day, right right, and.
Speaker 3: Maybe he reclamates him, you know, gets back to what we thought he could be.
Speaker 2: It'll be very interesting to follow Ty Simpson and that pick by the Rams and some of these other young quarterbacks that are trying to carve out their role in the National Football League. But that's Mike Sandos QB Tiers twenty twenty six edition in The Athletic if you want to read that and check it out. Obviously there's substantial write ups on each one of those guys too that we didn't get into a ton of those, but always always something that we take a look at around this time.
Speaker 3: It's a great article every year.
Speaker 2: It's a great article every single year. And I just can't wait, Matt, until we can get the Pittsburgh Steelers back and having a quarterback towards the top of that list.
Speaker 3: I wonder what the highest Ben never was. I'm sure he was here one plenty, but I doubt I don't think it was ever number one, because I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say, even some of those years where Ben was really lighting it up, you still had Rogers and Brady and even like Russell Wilson had a couple great years in there around around the same time as Ben. But I did ease Breeze. Yeah, but I guarantee you Ben was in the top five a couple times. We'll have to have to go back and check that.
Speaker 3: I bet he was Tier one more often than not, THO would say, and perennially.
Speaker 2: Top ten, perennially top ten without a doubt. Let's get to another break here. When we return, we'll continue the conversation. I would think that before too much longer here we'll have some Steelers working their way down onto the field for another evening walk through on a hot but beautiful day here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, West Uler Matt Williamson. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage job Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by Bud Like easy to Drink, Easy.
Speaker 3: To Enjoy, and brought to you in part.
Speaker 1: Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. Us steal Mine, Melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop Visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Back in the booth here on this Tuesday, as the afternoon is rolling into the evening. About fifteen twenty minutes from now, we will hit on all of your tweets, So get those questions, comments, concerns, and reactions in now while you can. Matt, we got some groundskeeper stuff going on in front of us here. Yeah, lit bit once again, our our favorite, our favorite thing to keep an I on throughout the course of this and I wanted to to close down this second hour of the show with you get back into a conversation that we've kind of been bobbing and weaving around over the last few days.
Speaker 3: He keep a question for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, hit me the buckets.
Speaker 3: This time of year, they go around and they find little spots and they throw stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's like dirt and seed.
Speaker 3: And that's my question is what do you think is in the bucket? I doubt it's just seed. It must be a combination of like.
Speaker 2: Also, also, according to a intrepid producer, engineer co host mister dooit all Ed Troup, he's found the names of the guys out here in the field, crew, Will, Ryan, Colin, and Tyler. Those are the four guys big. So what I think that is. I think it's a combination of like seed and dirt. Yeah, because the seed obviously no, because.
Speaker 3: The probably wouldn't the next day.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I think that helps it kind of set in. It helps level off the surface, so it's not a you know, a hazard for trips, rolling an ankle or something like that. And I think it helps start the regrowth process at the same time.
Speaker 3: But they don't go through a lot of it. I mean, one handful is one handful, tap it on his foot, move.
Speaker 2: On, you know, exactly right.
Speaker 3: It's not like pour a whole bucket in this hole.
Speaker 2: We will continue to keep an eye on our guys down there on the field.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: A exercise that we've kind of been bobbing.
Speaker 3: On, like the steeler bucket hats too.
Speaker 2: The Steeler bucket hats are pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Starks has one. I might need to grab one wear it, but it looks like it should be so.
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I've had this conversation with you before, You've probably never seen it because it's not in situations around you. But I wear bucket hats pretty regularly. There's two times that I am there's two times in my life Matt that if you if you see me and I don't have a bucket hat on, ask me if I'm okay because something's wrong.
Speaker 3: And that is tailgate.
Speaker 2: No, that's a good guess. Though. Anytime I go to the beach or the pool with the girls and dude, you.
Speaker 3: Know a vacation, I think you posted something on Facebook. Always had a bucket at.
Speaker 2: When I'm on when I'm on vacation, or even if I just take the girls of the pool, I'm always wearing a bucket hat because my face gets burnt so easily in those situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely should.
Speaker 2: The second time is when I cut the grass, I always wear a bucket I mean there's sometimes that you know you're cutting the grass in like April or September. Yeah, and it's an overcast day. But anytime, you know, in like June, July, August, when it's hot out. I've got actually a bucket hat from one of Motes's golf outings that it hangs in my garage and I throw it on every time I cut the grass. So as I've gotten older and older, Matt, you know, I don't want dermatologists yelling at me that I'm gonna, you know, give myself skin cancer. So I'm trying to take care of the trying to take care of the old skin there with a bucket hat, but that.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest, that's something really neat to worry about. Like when you're a scout, they always say, get great sunglasses and find some kind of cover. Like if you're on the LSU sideline, watch your practice, you know what I mean, like hours and hours. Yeah, you're outside a lot, you know, and your eyes are your most important thing too. I mean, you get spend money on sunglasses and protect yours, you.
Speaker 2: Know, totally. As I've gotten older, hit the sunglasses, hit the bucket hats. Those steelers ones are are pretty Yeah, I'm sure old Max Stark's always got himself one. We'll see we'll see what we can do for every day. You probably never see me were I at I never seen. I don't think have worn one in twenty years. I wear one in the mornings, like when I take my girls to daycare because my hair's all yeah, I'm sleeping. But other than that, I don't. I don't wear it one very often either.
Speaker 3: It's like the first thing I did when I get up and put a hat on. It was next to the bed. Put a hat on this coat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, every day, yep, that's what I That's what I do now for the most part. But then then I'll come home and I'll shower and I'm you know, so I'm only wearing it for an hour at a time.
Speaker 3: Like any college picker, you see me, you have had.
Speaker 2: And I've seen some funny college pictures of you over the years. There's one with you with a snake around your neck, but that's a different story for another day.
Speaker 3: I get three different snakes in college, did you really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you have any cool names for them? Like your bird? Did you call Larry.
Speaker 3: The ball python? Which is kind of like a starter snake. They're kind of easy and it's spent a long time. I forget the ball python's name. And then I had a bigger a Burmese python that was an albino that I named Shaman Shamman, you know, like when I was a shaman, I was big into Jim Morrison is like a shadow.
Speaker 2: Shum, sure you were, Matt Williamson.
Speaker 3: And then I got a smaller one, which is kind of like the nicest of them all, Like the priceiest was a red tailed boa, some kind of red something boa. It's been a long time. They're they're thinner, and like when I got him, he was like a shoelace, like he'd go through your fingers like this. And that was Daisy, like you know Daisy, you know Daisy at all?
Speaker 2: All I have to say, I gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: They get a little bigger and then they start scary a little bit, and you know, all I have to say, seat him as well as you shouldn't call it. People are strange, you know, when you're a stranger.
Speaker 2: Matt. Let's uh, jump into an exercise. We've been bobbing and weaving throughout camp here, and that is comparing different position groups this year to last year and how we feel about them. You know, three hundred and sixty five ish days later. What do you say we talk a little tight ends here? This is a this is gonna be an interesting one. Yeah, it is so this year's growth.
Speaker 3: I liked John U a year ago. That's what complicates matters.
Speaker 2: Pat Fryarmuth, Darnell Washington, Robert Tanyan, JJ Gallbreath still in the fold as well last year, of course, Mount Washington and Friarmuth, John new Smith, Connor Hayward.
Speaker 3: I think Friar Moove is one of those guys where you say unchanged.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: I think we did that with Warren yesterday.
Speaker 2: We did the same with Jaalen Woren and that's fine. I think you know what he is at this point. We'd like to see more usage for him. But in terms of the player that he is, I think.
Speaker 3: Probably the exact same grade on I think feel about him. Just think one year older Washington. You have to like better. And I adored him last year, but you have to like it.
Speaker 2: I think he is. I think he is arrow pointed up.
Speaker 3: Yes see, that's to me what helps this year's crop the most. But I really liked him last year, Like I can't discredit, like you need to show up out of nowhere. Sure, I was pretty excited about Johnny last year.
Speaker 2: I think everybody was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Tanyan to me is is gon MC team. You've gotten some good reports, you know. I think he's lined up decently to be the third tight end. I don't think no Akowski can be in this conversation, I think in a little bit. Yeah, And Connor Hayward had value. I mean he was a good spec I mean you're maybe he's not. I'm not counting him as a tight end as much as his value to the team. I mean he was a really really good special teamer. I think he had to go with last.
Speaker 2: Year in terms of the expectations that we had for the.
Speaker 3: Group, right, what you thought of one year ago?
Speaker 2: We were all picking, you know, like I think everyone was.
Speaker 3: A thirteen personnel to be all this thirteen.
Speaker 2: Personnel, and all three of them are such drastically different tight ends. And Arthur Smith has this relationship with John new Smith, and he knows how to use tight ends in his offense. And he caught eighty eight balls year before good His twenty twenty four stats are insane, eighty eight receptions for eight hundred and eighty four yards and eight touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good after the catch and he was not a throw in on that deal. No, I think the Steelers gave him money from what I remember too, and it was a disaster.
Speaker 2: It was not good. We didn't know that then, No, no, we did not. And then you know, Robert Tanyan is a hard one to evaluate him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what how to value him here.
Speaker 2: He hasn't really had a productive NFL year since twenty twenty two when he caught for when he had fifty three receptions for nearly five hundred yards and two touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Like he might be a success story this year.
Speaker 2: He could be, or he.
Speaker 3: Could be a guy that like makes the team and you get the week two and like he's not really helping us. He's got you know, and then you ever hear from him again. Maybe doesn't gonna make a team. You know, I don't know what to think of him.
Speaker 2: He is an interesting one. What do you think of the.
Speaker 3: Side note, It wouldn't break my heart if there was more competition for the number three tight end spot right now.
Speaker 2: That's exactly where I was going with this, Like, what how do you think that plays out? Because it's really I.
Speaker 3: Really hate to see a Washington or Friar with injury. Boy, would you be really really.
Speaker 2: Thin there, because I mean it's really just Robert Tanyan and JJ Galbreath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I definitely don't trust either. Gallbreath's been around enough that you'd think that he would. If he's gonna make a mark, he would have by now.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did like someone what we saw from him last year in training camping in the preseason, and obviously he's gonna have three preseason games here to continue to build upon that.
Speaker 3: He's one of those I want to see him camp next year. Guy, Yes, you know, but I don't want to on my team last year.
Speaker 2: Guy, I think you had. I mean, I think we are kidding ourselves about how excited everyone was for the addition of John new Smith at this time last year.
Speaker 3: And again, I really was excited about Washington, which panned out, and I'm not even sure he exceeded my expectations. I had really high expectations for you.
Speaker 2: You have yet You've always thought he's one of those guys who's special and gonna make an impact. And definitely last year, it's definitely last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which because that bump from Washington isn't enough to overcome the thoughts of the day, you know, because I was. I mean, yes, he bumped, but it wasn't as big a bump as some might have thought because I was so high on him to start with.
Speaker 2: Right, that's exactly right. Yeah, that's that's exactly right. So that's an interesting one. You know what though, now that.
Speaker 3: They're also not gonna play as much twelve and thirteen, they're not right.
Speaker 2: But you also, like last year, you had four guys that you could put out onto.
Speaker 3: The field and even knew they were going to make the team. I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't the biggest Connor Hayward fan in the world. I thought they did. I thought they did a little too much at times of trying to get him involved on offense. One of those situations where, like you'd like to point out where defensive coordinators are thankful when that guy is on the field in certain aspects. But again, you had four viable options. Like I'm not saying Connor Henry four NFL players didn't exactly right. I'm not saying he didn't belong on a roster on a field on Sundays.
Speaker 3: I mean, somebody else signed him, and it's not like he's still out there john who was still out there.
Speaker 2: Johnny was still out there, which is crazy considering what he was thought of this time of year ago. But right now it's a two horse race and a lot of question marks and a lot of unknown Matt And if you, like you mentioned if my tight end, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Uh, specially if an injury would happen, Like we've.
Speaker 2: Been talking about this about safeties, I think throughout the and how you would you really love to have, you know, one additional kind of playmaking safety known commodity, and that.
Speaker 3: Allaity even kind of said if there's a true free out there, you might want to call. And I know that they're not as interested in free verse strong.
Speaker 2: Sure, but but we get what I saying. I think, man, I think we can add a third tight end to that conversation. Now if if someone emerges that you can get as a as a camp cut or for a sixth round, late round pick swap something like that. I wouldn't hate seeing another tight end in the fold right here, because we love what we have in move and wash.
Speaker 3: But even they missed one game and what's the chance they both play seventeen plus.
Speaker 2: It's a national football league. It's very slim. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when everybody. Everybody picks up knocks and picks up injuries. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of faith in time.
Speaker 2: And now, hey, maybe we'll get into maybe we'll get into preseason here and Tanya or gall breath will change our thought process.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, I'm gonna have to start watching more tight ends as we rolled.
Speaker 3: I was big a week two.
Speaker 2: We gotta we got it. We need somebody to emerge there as a quality t E three.
Speaker 3: I I feel like I need to have a better feel for Tanya and what he is now because I remember Hi in twenty twenty two, but that was a million years.
Speaker 2: Ago, exactly right, exactly, It was a long long time ago. He had a monster twenty twenty season. We had eleven touchdowns, but that was I think that's right around the time. I think that's right around the time that Homer was right in the Iliad and in the Odyssey. I'm pretty sure you did like that movie, huh? I did?
Speaker 3: I enjoy it. I like to watch it.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I'm a dork, Matt Williamson. I am nothing of not a dork. One of one of the people that we met yesterday Steelers burner on on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we met a couple of Twitter people. That was awesome.
Speaker 2: He was like, we Matt was laughing. We were dorking out about Lord of the Rings at the bar for a.
Speaker 3: Few minutes and I sort of tuned you guys out a little bit. That's when Matt that I disliked it, but you were talking over my head.
Speaker 2: That's when Matt was like, Wow, this seems pretty cool. I know what I'm doing when I get home on Tuesday, I'm gonna watch the extended editions. We have got two hours in the books, the bonus hour on the other side. You know what that means. Get those tweets in because we're gonna hit them when we return to kick off hour number three West Ruler Matt Williamson High atop Chuck Nolefield here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.