Speaker 1: Peace of the plan. This charlamagnea god here.
Speaker 2: Before we get into today's episode, we've got to celebrate the Black Effect Podcast Network. It's turning five years old, man, five years of powerful voices, unforgettable moments in the community that keeps growing.
Speaker 3: This is the power of the platform. Now let's get into it.
Speaker 1: He is drinks chess, mother fucking podcast man.
Speaker 3: He's a legends eary Queen's rapper. He ain't segreate a your boy in eights a Miami him pop pioneer as d J e f N. Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And the most professional unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk.
Speaker 3: Drinks chess for every day is New Year's Eve. Listen, it's time for drink champions. Drink up, mother, would it goold be hoping he should be Isshu boy in r What up it is?
Speaker 5: DJ e f N.
Speaker 6: This militias you all, Yeah, you have astry.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 7: We've been trying to get this brother for years. Right now, he's a talker to town.
Speaker 1: If you're a DJ, if you're lover of hip hop, if you're.
Speaker 7: A lover of the actual play of it and not a fan of the business. You're tuned into what's happening right now. But let's give you this brother's desography. His brother's a legend, he's an icon. He DJ for one of the most legends, one of the most notorious people in the world. I mean, this guy started out in nineteen ninety eight on the radio, years been doing it before that on the radio. And we see him pose out his show with one of the most passionate moments in hip hop I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: The people came out to support them. People are supporting them.
Speaker 7: We're gonna get to this, but these are legends of icon, have been doing this for well over thirty years.
Speaker 1: And we won't give him as flowers today.
Speaker 7: That's what our show is about, and today he will receive his flowers. In case you don't know what the fuck we talk about, we talked about one.
Speaker 1: Now, did y'all ever have beef? Because your names are similar.
Speaker 3: I'm just talking with you. I do like that. I haven't bvated my name a few times. E n F right, right, So I was like, maybe no beef though, right.
Speaker 1: Because what was your favorite what was your first hip hip hop name? What was it.
Speaker 3: You remember that? Come on, I know that.
Speaker 7: So listen We've been interviewing people for nine years and everyone has a whack hip hop and yes you can still use e wat right now, Like it's like, yeah, so what made you?
Speaker 1: What made you go with DJ?
Speaker 3: Enough? All right? So to be honest and Frank, I'm from the Lower East Side of Manhattan and then in nineteen seventy nine, I moved up an area called Flat Push, Brooklyn. Right, but you was born in Harlem.
Speaker 1: And you did your homewk yes, yes, yes for.
Speaker 3: Me coming out the projects to the Lower east Side, right, Lilian Wall projects, Jacob Bree, shots of them, I didn't see that many West Indian people. So I grew up a lot of West Indian people in my second half, you know what I'm saying. Being in Brooklyn and there was a famous uh this Jamaican dude name Ricky Barnett and Miguel Parkers. Those are my best friends in elementary school growing up and back in those days in the in the early eighties, everything was enough respect, enough this, enough that, right. So he was like, yo, your name is E whatever he goes, bit, why don't we just call you E Enough? Because you get enough respect every timewhere. So at first I was like, I don't know. Then somebody bought some marketing to me and said, you know what you could if you make a restaurant. Let's say you would open a Hamburger shop. You put enough burgers, yeah, enough clothing, enough liquor, enough smoke enough it works. So I was like, you know, I'll roe whatever it, fuck.
Speaker 1: It, okay's now your first DJ gig was that?
Speaker 3: Then the Grill Club Club the Grill nineteen ninety whatever year hip hop Junkies came out. That was like, yeah, okay, I got a funky that was the hottest record already. I was ready DJ.
Speaker 1: So was the tone at that time.
Speaker 3: This is right and before the something okay cool, there was no Sunday nice to not yet okay.
Speaker 1: What's this Sunday nice and hip hop period not.
Speaker 3: Not to my recollection. I'm a newbie. I just found right because.
Speaker 7: The first time I ever Sunday, I thought I thought it was Latin quarters. Okay, I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Before my time, okay.
Speaker 7: Cool, cool, cool, all right now. I used to make pause tapes. Can you explain to people what poestapes is.
Speaker 3: All right, So before I had enough money to have equipment, equipment, we used to make these pause tapes. And back in everybody's household, we all had what's called bs R bullshit recording, you know, recording capability. So it'd be a double deck, you know, because and you would play your source from one cassette would be the recording for another, and you would only record the portions that you want so our press play, you press record here, and then you pause it. But you had to be nice with it. So that's what the DJ stuff kicks in, because you know I've seen you know, to break that is in the firm biz.
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, okay, I was thinking about action first.
Speaker 3: But I'm talking with that joint right. It's by Malcolm McLaren. That little piece is only like about ten seconds long, right yo, my man, The original to that is even less than that. We would take that little piece and do a whole ninety minute mix of just that one B and then we go through the street with it and then play it outside and it'd be like all day the same ship over and then the B boys would come and start doing that thing and you know, and dancing, you know, the gangs would be like yo crazy. It was the cardboard yeah all that. Yeah, so I'm a bounce around a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah baby, do you thing?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: So this is something I always wanted to ask you. How accurate was the Biggie movie?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: But I believe that it was in San Francisco or and it was still on some things at them because of who shot you?
Speaker 3: But I said not to play who shot you? Right? Yeah, that wasn't okay. I'll tell you the truth. I can't tell you. So this one of this cameras, no scene portrayed in the movie was was saying it was uh in the in the Bay area, okay, right, but it wasn't okay. And then the reason why they probably put it in the Bay because that's where Park was from. Okay. Now, during this time, I remember, like it was yesterday, we were in Atlanta, Georgia. We were going to a social death anniversary party of some sort and we were gonna meet up with Jamaine Deprie, the Brat and a few others. And there was word that Tupac was around in Atlanta, right, Okay, So now like we're on heightened security because these dudes got beef and it's ugly. I'm in the car with like little ceas BIG's in the front. I remember bodyguards being on top of us and at one point were driving in the a somewhere. We're driving around and then the security was like get down, and I'm like, what's going on and get down? Then he jumped on top of my body and I'm like what. I thought it was gonna start shooting at us or something, but I guess they were just on high alert. Where the cars we become a bid and they got like some information, But that's that's not it was in the Bay. It was Atlanta. So during the height of the beef right, everybody from Brooklyn to Junior Mafia, everybody was waiting for a response Big because you know, pock had didn't hit him up, and and for me, I took it super personal. You know why, because I produced to Get Money remix for Big R and Pac took the same beat right from the Get Money remix that I produced and hit him up. And the crazy part, that's crazy. I didn't think of it like CZ. I didn't realize it until I did a podcast with Cypher Sounds of Rosi and they broke it that and I was like, damn, you're right, And then like twenty five years later, I was mad again. But it was it was it was like bittersweet because, like, you know, Park was such a legendary dude, and I'm be on like thirsty to be on the phone with him, to be like, yo, what's up pot Because he loved New York. He loved the bodegas.
Speaker 1: He loved them a little, you know, but let's let's talk about that nice.
Speaker 7: So well, yeah, so they were mad at Big on stage.
Speaker 3: They would know nobody was ever mad at Big. Okay, I think the the real important thing was this, So I'm on the road with them now. I got the torch passed from Clark Kent. Clark Kent, Clark Kent. Excuse me. He taught me the show, so it was only right. Just all I had to do is carry the legacy. He was DJ before you. Yes, of course he was doing uh A and R for like East West Atlantic. He was signing an artist, but he was also doing production and beats and you know he was doing the Brooklyn finals on Jay and Biggs album. You know, he was busy. So I think it got to a point where he's like, you know what, I'm getting hot out here and I love being on the road with Big, but I gotta go right. So that's when you know, I got the phone call from Puff like you want to be bigs DJ, And I was like, I think about it, And everybody laughs at me when I tell him that responds.
Speaker 1: Because Big wasn't who Big was at that time.
Speaker 3: Big only had party in bullshit out maybe Unbelievable and Juicy.
Speaker 4: Was he still Biggie Small before he changed the names of Notorious.
Speaker 3: No, he was still Biggie Smalls. He was notorious yet, right right right. So we're in Atlanta and we stopped doing the We stopped doing the song who Shot You? Like my dad faced him hot? So we stopped performing that song. And I think we stopped performing that song because Big didn't want the narrative that people were thinking the song was about, because it was out of respect the kid. The kid got shot, you know a few times, and then when he died, it was like the ultimately like, no, we're not doing that. So we was in Atlanta that time. I told you we was on heightened security alert. Whatever we do the show and there's a break in the show where he starts talking. I'm like, where's he going with this? I never did this is not part of the show. We never did this before. And he's explaining himself about I guess what him a part, what was going through? So I was like, he's gonna perform who shot You? Wow? So then without him telling me nothing, I got the record out and then I just had a queue up and ready, and he looked at me and it was like and I went who shot You? And he performed out of nowhere. It was the first time he got to perform that, you know, during the beef R. So for us, it was like a magical moment, even though it wasn't his true response, but it was the next next thing because he wasn't gonna talk dirty about Park right.
Speaker 5: But to be clear, because it was before par got shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a baby because we said, I wanted people to think it happened right then.
Speaker 7: Did you ever I know you said, I know I read articles and seen interviews what you said that there was brawls happening, like you know, running with big and.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 7: I think one time they even left you and you had to come outside of.
Speaker 3: The ques that was in Virginia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you had to like they.
Speaker 3: All, you know, back in the days when we used to carry the crates, right, but even before that, before controllers and cdj's were around, we used to carry the turntable. So I got two turntables, a mixer, all my crates, and I'm by myself. I ain't got a roadie. He's not paying for Roady. So it's like, you know, the road manager shout to Hawk, my man Hawk. He would help me sometime with the records and whatever. Whenever there wasn't feeling, whenever they felt like there was a superstar, they help me with the records. But we get into some ship. It's going down. They fighting, Oh, they doing whatever they're doing. But they forgot about me and they would leave me. I'm like, yo, So now I'm slowly trying to pack up all my ship before the ship really hits the fan. I'm like closing up the cases. I'm trying whatever I said. Yo. If I don't get the fuck up out of here, they gonna come for me next. And that's the type of that was. That was the real ship. That's the way it was a lot of shows bro A lot of.
Speaker 8: Shows make some noise. But it was fun. Man, Now we think about it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: But like when you speak speak about crates like, I don't think these kids like like, I'm sorry, this sounds the old band, but you know, like that shit was hard. Like I remember, like watching you guys go to a party, used to have to have to have people help you.
Speaker 3: With your crates. Five six dudes or whatever or actually, I'm gonna keep it on hunted. I was flying, but a few times I would do parties of town. But I have six women carrying my trade in high heels, right and then and then when I come to the party, the promoters be on my dick. They'd be like, motherfucker. We'll talk six feet women in dresses or skirts with heels on carrying my crates. Now, these ain't milk crates. These are professional like cases. Get a little bit easier to carry, heaviest hell one hundred pounds easy.
Speaker 7: So, as a DJ, do you like this era more or do you miss the vinyl era?
Speaker 3: I missed the vinyl era a little bit, okay, but I do like the technology where it's had today. You know why, because I remember being on the road and Biggie would shake the fucking stage and the record would skip, and I would get blamed for it, because at the end of the day, he's the boss, he's the headliner. It said they came to see him, not me, So I had to take the blame for that. And then Clarke Can't had to teach me how to do a backup show that way I heard that or CD or whatever, okay whatever, yeah it was it was that originally. And then holy ship, I forgot his name. He's gonna be mad at me now. Producer from Guy try Wiley, Teddy Riley. Teddy Riley gives me my first c d J. He goes, enough, this is the future. Like, what do you mean? He goes, this is never going to skip on you ever. Again, this is the fucking future right here. He gave me a pair of c d j's and I was like, but those skip two though, no, I know, but not but not as bad, but not as bad as needles as the needles on the record?
Speaker 1: Now, what was it? Flip Star DJs, Flip Squad, Flip Squad djsh Yeah, and I was you Cipher Sounds was in the same Yeah, who else was in that crew?
Speaker 3: Frankie Cutlers, Frankie Cutlers, Dup do Funk Flex Yeah flex uh, Mark Ronson, Mike Ronson was in riz thank you. Oh ship comes here? Trying to think who was here?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: Who else was in there?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 3: So it was flip.
Speaker 9: Squad, the Flip Squad, DJ, the flip Squad and this is before buster have flip Squad or no, Yeah, flip mode, flip Mode, slip modem bugging different things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, flip flip Squad. Okay, okay, make some noise.
Speaker 3: With DJ, so okay, be me a warning cup, bro.
Speaker 1: Okay, So who else was okay? Who else was down down on that?
Speaker 3: Okay? Sight for sounds? This kid named bud kN Uh. There's there's a couple more. I'm forgetting them. But the big Cat, Big Cat, rest in peace, Big Cat. Oh that's right? Uh damn you know what. Let me just look at the artwork of the album we put out. It's on there. Okay, so go for it, go for it.
Speaker 7: One thing that was noticed very Kanye's first album, Yes has the heavy hitter logo on there. Yes, sir, Now, remember I mean knowing who Kanye is, but me not.
Speaker 3: Knowing who Kanye is.
Speaker 7: And I remember you shotting them out and then him shotting y'all out, like like really like bigging up the heavy hitters.
Speaker 3: How the fuck did that even happen? All right? So I ain't know it at the time, okay, but I had a heavy hitter's record pool, okay. And the office was on thirty eighth Street. It was Rene McLean's office, the guy who created to make Sure Right right, But Legacy Studios was down the block on thirty eighth between tenth and eleventh or whatever it was. That's where he recorded his first album. And what year was that. It had to be ninety nine, ninety eight. So all this time, I'm thinking, Yo, Kanye, this think is on my dick. He got a sorry talk.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is the way he was the.
Speaker 3: Damn. I gotta wait, So you text the queen till I fall back.
Speaker 7: So you're telling me, so you're telling me you had to heard of him.
Speaker 3: So I heard of him as a producer as a producer, okay, So this's no through wire, No yeah, not yet, not yet. But I was talking it was on his way go Ahead and one of my DJ's DJ absolutely put on a mixtape on him like a first freestyle, because nobody else, nobody else will put his freestyles out.
Speaker 1: So absolutely was the first time people never might have ha been.
Speaker 7: The first time they heard Kanye whatever Okaya queen.
Speaker 3: Now back in these days, we were at the damn what was the what was the studios that that O g one and Jason Baseline. He was at Baseline a lot. So this is where I knew from Kanye as a producer because just Blaze being in the room, Kanye being another, or they'd be both in that pre production room, you know, just banging out beats, banging out beats. I was tied with Jaco all the time because Jaco put out a mixtape and I will be there hanging and everybody in the roster is arguing with Kanye because they want to be from him. Okay, but like, yo, don't make a beef for me, man, stop playing, you know with Jim Cam Beanie Bleak. Everyone talked to him like that, and it was like it to me, it was like the like the mad scientists behind the drum machine. You know, he had ideas, he always wanted a rap, but I felt like nobody was giving him a shot. Maybe maybe because he over delivered in his delivery or something, and it was like, I don't know, it might have been too much for me at the time. That's from what I remember, Okay, And then.
Speaker 1: How does it go from that to then he then he then he produces the Blueprint and.
Speaker 3: Now now no no, but now Damon Demon and Jay and them, they signed him as a producer. But I'm starting to notice like he's been signed for a while, but there's students, there's still nothing on him. So I'm like, what's the problem. So in my mind, and I can't prove it, because that's my famous word right now, I can't.
Speaker 10: That.
Speaker 3: Uh, maybe did help him because you did just want to Lockerman as a producer. I mean, he did produce The Blueprint, one of the greatest hip hop albums right right. So anyway, I'm at the office in a record pool and I'm tighted with Common, I'm tighted with Tyler Quality, and these dudes keep coming to the office. They were enough, you know, and and they heavily coming by because we got a little studio Peo production studio up there at the office, and I would do a lot of mixtapes me and cast one. So then yeah, he's bothering me on something like you don't want to be a heavy hitter, so he would now. Stupid me didn't realize where this could go. It's too early, you know. I'm like, yo, my man, you got it.
Speaker 7: Like he's approached you as a heavy head, as a producer or as.
Speaker 3: An actual man. He's just want to I don't want to be a heavy here that I'm like, yo, man, I don't got no artists as a heavy head. We have DJ Clarer, Okay, you can't even DJ. Yeah, but I make these banking beats. And then that man. If I knew what I'd do back then, I would have signed them to a fifty million. I had no idea, no idea, make some lawyers for that man. But it ended up happening, right, He ended up well technically Yeah. Then uh, me and my man A G put out his Get Home or Welcome Home mixtape, and I remember going to the stores with him on the road because he wanted to know how we did the runs with the mixtape. We went to the Africans and Canal, We went to the Bronx, We went to all the all the mixtapes and record shops that would sell mixtapes, and I was trying to push Kanye's tape. Nobody wanted it, damn nobody. But as I'm starting to play a ship on the radio, I'm playing the good, the bad, the ugly with consequence to him. I'm playing two words by him, most definitely the Harlem Boys choir. I'm starting to play some joints that ain't been really released yet. When I dropped that Jesus Walks, you know, the mixtape went on fire. Yo, I need more of those mixtapes. So you said you want nothing, Now we want them. So I remember I probably had like about a good fifteen checks for Kanye, noting nothing big, but just you know, the first couple of orders, people wanted the tapes, and he was like, now I want the money. Just thank you for you know, pushing me and taking care of me, what else whatever, And out of nowhere he asked me for my logo. And then I thought he was gonna put a mixtape out of something, and he puts his ship on the album. I didn't give him, yo, I ain't giving no permission. I didn't say, yeah, you have to declaimen to put this on. But after it was the biggest honor in the world, like this dude is getting. Then on top of that, he made and then on top of that, to make it even better, him and GLC make a record call heavy Hitters for Life Wow, the B side of uh, Jesus walks if I'm not mistaken, and he says heavy Hitters for Live Rockefeller or Live. Then he starts breaking it down, you know, and it's kind of dope, but signed very like this. This dude is nuts. He's crazy. And after that he got Kim Kardashian and I never saw him. We never went on to get I lost my friend.
Speaker 1: But so, uh yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: You gotta drink amelo, you need something?
Speaker 1: Sure, come have a drink.
Speaker 4: Sunlight Yeah yeah, yeah, little something, a little taste my cup.
Speaker 3: Want you doing that? We got saki, you.
Speaker 11: Want sack, tequila, tequila, poppy.
Speaker 3: We can drink Branson Steef. We got Branson. Yeah, We'll get your sunlight whatever, whatever I drink, whatever, What do we have?
Speaker 1: He said something like, and he says toquila when.
Speaker 3: He's you don't drink what he's drinking the blue label. I'm down, I'm down living some blue label. I'm not drinking out about it.
Speaker 5: Or you could drink some Volly vodka Pulls vodka.
Speaker 4: I got plenty of that shot the bo yeah up a bit, Yeah, yeah, that's fine, that's fine. Okay, I was gonna go if you're looking, I want to go, because we're skating them around things and we're not.
Speaker 3: Really going back both for it.
Speaker 4: Man, So let's go back to how you even get that phone call from Puff to spin for Big, Like, what's that relationship?
Speaker 3: How does that get?
Speaker 7: Because I heard somewhere that you actually played Biggs album.
Speaker 1: On Kiss Up and Puff caught you flipping on you.
Speaker 3: Hurged me the fuck out, so and Puff you know this is true, so you're mad. So I'm gonna bring it back to the essence. Right on fourth on thirteenth Street and Park Avenue in the city was a club called the Black Fussy Cat.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, when I came out here, we had one out here.
Speaker 3: Right because later on it was called Swaye. So I knew this. I knew the motors and the bounces of club. Now Big was trying to get in the club with MP and it wasn't letting them in the club. But I was like, damn, you guys think it's just some goons from Brooklyn, but they're actually recording artists, the cool people, and I promise you they won't get into no trouble. So I went to the to the promoters and to the security guys, and I told them, you know, let's let these guys and they're good people. And Big love that I did that for him. So on the way out we leaving, Big push me to the side, like, yo, he this for you. This is my album. Nobody got it yet and this was the real album. Yes, no, it was, but it was on a rough It was on a TDK.
Speaker 1: Okay it was.
Speaker 3: So he gets just me in a cassette and I'm like, I ain't really paying no mind. You know, it might have been on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then not not not to Thursday. I realized, you know, I got this guy's album. But to put it in content.
Speaker 4: What records did he have out already partying bullshit?
Speaker 3: Partying with a super Cat? Had the Mary Jay record? Yeah? Only two or three? Yeah, So the buzz was on him already even when he dropped this party and bullshit, the buzz was already on him because he had a special voice. So back in those days, you know as DJ is a thirsty They played new Ship, right, So I go to my guy, his name is Chris Paccardo, shot to him and I think he helped me clean up the majority of the album on the cassette and he gives it back to me. Some records you put in the system. That means like on the radio station. We have a thing that's called the system, which is like their computer, not not a cassette. I don't see the in the computer. So at any moment, I could just pick whatever record and it's like I could play a bomb or something, and then we go right into a record off the album. So we did this multiple times throughout the night, and and and back. Then Supernatural was my.
Speaker 12: Host DJ, and I don't even know that yeah real hip hop, right, it's the real yippire.
Speaker 3: So I'm playing it, playing it, and it gets to a point where like the hotline rings or the red the red the red phone whatever that is like a special line, special line whatever. The voss is usually called hold you on this line. So I pick it up Hope for Hope for Diddy, a hope of hope of Puff. I don't think he was Diddy yet, so I was like, what up. He's like, Yo, what the fuck are you doing. I'm like, I'm in celebration mode. I'm happy my man Big gave me the album I'm in MO. It was about Brooklyn confidant. I'm on a radio, I'm shutting the city fucking down. So I'm thinking he's calling on it to say thank you. I see what you're doing. He's like, what the fuck are you doing. I'm like, like Jackie glicaid, I was like, I didn't know what to say. So, when you think about it today, I didn't know what it meant for an for a label to roll out a single, roll out a project, what kind of money was involved. It was poster boards, it was stickers, whether it was a deal with a radio station, you know, a touring situation. I didn't have no idea what any of that was, so I might have screwed that up. It's a big right, So he's cursing me out, I'll kill you, motherfucker mob here like, uh, the music is in the background, but he's he's clearly in my ear killing me.
Speaker 1: He's still playing the record. Give me the business.
Speaker 3: And then I don't see him for like weeks months, nothing and I'll bumping him the club nothing and then I go to this uh ninety seven used to have this thing called a Player's Ball, Okay, yeah, I remember that it was, but the same thing as it was very so it was there. It was their interpretation of what they would maybe tell the listeners to play a ball. Used to like host a couple of times, right, yeah, so that was hosted by our station at the time. It was it was ed lover Miss Jones.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: And then I remember like Angie Martinez coming through school, Coco Chanel, Jazzy Joyce, that was like the vibe. And I see him in the hallway because that same weekend that we're doing this Player's Ball is some sort of signing or some sort of party, maybe a listening playback or press release something from Mary J. Blige My Life's album. So I'm like, oh shit. He goes pumps, so I'm like, I haven't seen him since he cursed me the funk out. So then he's like, yo, let me talk to you some over here, like oh ship here comes to bullshit and he flips it on me and he's like, yall want you to go on the road with b I G. What you think. Hm, I'm like the change of course. You know, I thought he was mad, but she was an He's like, yo, are you understand what I'm saying. I'm like, huh, like I'm stuck on stupid now because I don't. I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready for that. He does, I want you to go on the road. But we're big, So I was like, big, I just got my radio, gig, got kissed. I'm feeling myself so like, I don't know, let me think about it. He says, what, she didn't even think about it. So I think you might have say, like you a wild boy or some ship, I don't know whatever. That sounds like him, But I kept it moving. And you know, I guess him and uh him and him and Jessica Rosevel Bloom are real tight. And I guess, yeah, she ran the tunnel. She ran them some squad DJs. Mhm mhmm. Yeah, So I guess they got to talking and then she came back around to me, was like, yo, I think you should do it. Blah blah blah blah blah. I said, I tried it out, tried it out, had a great time, changed my life. Yes, that's the one gig that I did that people to this day still ask the most question, what's about Well big big did.
Speaker 7: Now it was like a monumental thing that happened in radio right before we get to what's happening right nowadays.
Speaker 1: Was back in the days, well not back in the days.
Speaker 7: But when Angie Martinez announced that when she was leaving Hot seven, like that ship was like it was like a blow to everyone because I mean me personally.
Speaker 3: Broke my heart broke that day.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh, so, so you didn't you didn't know prior to this, like keep it real, No, I didn't, you.
Speaker 3: Didn't she said, She said, she called my phone, but my number's been a safe I love you. I don't know. I don't remember getting a phone call. I don't think anybody. And maybe she was smart because she was moving in silence smart and she couldn't probably tell nobody, you know, that's just part of the deal. So we had accepted. So when she left, I was like, good fun man.
Speaker 13: She did that with elegance, right, she did that execution that building that day was like mouth drop.
Speaker 3: You know why she did it right? She didn't cried like me.
Speaker 14: Shout age many but I didn't see anything you did for thirty years anything. Yeah, rap, Yeah, the reports didn't take thirty years to make.
Speaker 7: The boy report is almost thirty years old because in twenty seven, but it didn't take you thirty years to make it.
Speaker 3: Do you understand my point?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But it's the same ship. I mean, I've got to say.
Speaker 3: I feel you, I feel you. We're gonna get it, We're gonna get this.
Speaker 7: But what we talked about was just so into that what happened. Yes, so I remember, you know, and this is this is not the same. But I remember like me being in depth, Jam and Leo all knowing he leaving. He would walk around different, right, like like I was there like three days straight and I would look at you could tell like he was hiding something, right because he can't legally tell anybody I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: You understand was that no one never knew that about it, or like no one had no clue.
Speaker 13: Okay, so I think everybody knew at the same time that day.
Speaker 7: Now, how did it happen that, you guys know, she announced it on the station.
Speaker 3: She made an announcement. I forgot she made an email phone call. But yeah, it's like if I did find out. It was literally the same day.
Speaker 13: What I remember she made her like everybody pulled up and she made that announcement and it was like balloons and cakes and all types of.
Speaker 3: Now letting the Mary J. Bloge came. Taraji p Henson came, right, I'm p Henson like just who are you guys going to be? Okay, there's gonna be better things for you.
Speaker 13: And everybody pulled up and she didn't tell a war what what she was doing. She's like, yah, just you know, I'm done, done that. I'm leaving my last day. But you know, everybody came to celebrate her. Everybody's crying. The whole station pulled up, facts, the phone calls.
Speaker 3: Every artist calling.
Speaker 13: It was a celebration, you know, but the city was hurt, like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: How ninety seven is over? It's over?
Speaker 13: Like you know that's the that was the queen, like a voice in New York like, so yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was. That was tough. That was tough.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now you know if you used to work on the Star in work Wow.
Speaker 7: Show yes sir, and I believe you quick, yeah, And that's how you got your own slot, right, Well, something like that.
Speaker 1: Something like that. I'm I'm so.
Speaker 7: This is this is something you've probably never been asked before, Like how did you feel when Envy left the station and started the breakfast cloud.
Speaker 3: I was like, great for him, Okay, I was okay, I was happy for Well. People don't seem to understand, right, just because Envy's at the other station doesn't mean he's not my guy. That's my guy. I got sick in twenty nineteen, had a stroke and I was fucked up. And Envy was the one who calls this guy and says, yo, we don't know what enough situation is. His monetary situation is. He might be fucked up. You know, he's not doing gigs, he's not outside. He might he might whatever. And then I started getting this is like during the cash at venmo Era, I started getting old this thing and I'm like, what the fuck is this? I called this dude, like, yo, why in by sending me money? That we spoke to Envy. Envy brought it up and I was like, look, the competition is calling to help and send love. I thought I was the most incredible SHITNK. Not my best friend, but not somebody I'll do up with.
Speaker 13: But real talk, real talk like there was never when he went over there, we was always cool. Nothing changed. I used to I used to do the show like on Sundays. I used to don't show envy and we used to be on then I used to hop on right after. So we were like always seeing each other every weekend. When he went over there, they was to love.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm gonna be honest. Let me just be honest.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 7: At one point, it was just Hot ninety seven, right, yeah, so if you didn't get Hot ninety seven, your ass was finished.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: Power went on five came option kind of even the playing field. The problem was when they first came, they didn't have no players from Hot ninety seven.
Speaker 3: No, So when Envy game, I felt like it. So I think I think Clue was first. Yes, I don't remember the old I think Clue went first.
Speaker 1: Cool, No, No, it had to be the brother Stu first.
Speaker 3: He might he might know this. I don't know. I think we went first. Okay, I think Clue made them move first. Okay, it was envy, Okay, what is the probably love first? Well yeah, yeah, you're right right right.
Speaker 1: That level was crazy, but at level was like, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The person he was still the big voice of the city man.
Speaker 1: With envy clue left. It was like, okay. It was because I remember, I don't know if you remember, I know you got to remember this.
Speaker 7: This is after the shootout and I was banned. He was like, let me tell you something. This is the crazy ship if you notice, and that in that time, every other artist will go to the Power one O five and say I flipped the switch.
Speaker 3: I remember that. That was that was the campaign.
Speaker 7: That was their campaign. I did you the fire, nor we say I flipped the switch.
Speaker 3: Never did that. I could never do that because.
Speaker 6: Now to money in those days, now years later, maybe I don't know what I'm saying, like yeah, because you know why, like Russell Simmons had to go what's her name, Tracy, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Russell Simmons had to go. I didn't take the shot.
Speaker 7: And talk to them, and my record was number one, grit me. It was grimy that was pulled and then it was you like and as soon as I came.
Speaker 1: Back, I got geral office.
Speaker 3: I was like, here be back, and it was like.
Speaker 1: It's a go. And then I think it was kind to somebody was.
Speaker 7: Like, it's a goal, grab me right back to number one, and I was so, do y'all do y'all understand? So how did how did y'all look at that that plan field? Because at one point it was just y'all right, and then we have this other station that come and.
Speaker 1: Then we got Angie. Like once Angie went over there, it.
Speaker 7: Was like all right, cool, like like everybody's like kind of even. Like now it's like it's like the Mets and the Yankees.
Speaker 3: Now for real, like you know what it did though, what you guys didn't understand? It watered the hip hop came down. Okay, explain that because now we're playing politics, right, and the politics is this. Now we're not gonna play that RMB song. Why because they're playing it's power playing it or whatever. We don't. We don't play R and B. We're a hip hop station, you know what. Let them play it first and then they'll take it to a certain level that we just take it and run with it. It became on loud and then it came you know what, enough, we love what you're doing. But from now one, I wants to play four of these songs our but that was the very beginning of it. Let me play advocate.
Speaker 7: I was like, damn, but that's how it used to be for us and other like like if you're going to Philly, yeah, say there's enough playing that. Yeah, they'll say it's flex playing it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The market, Yeah, it was like you from those markets slextly enough not playing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yes, yes, that's even like cosmical.
Speaker 3: That's the only reason why they would bring that up.
Speaker 13: Listen, when I started hot, I started midnights and it was like, okay, you're on four o'clock, have a good time.
Speaker 3: Played that. I had no rules. In fact, go in whatever's hide in the street whatever. It was like the uncut.
Speaker 13: Power came and then our hand started getting handcuffed little by right, Oh, you got to stick to this, stick to that and what he means like water diamonds. Now, now start getting political. Now it's not hip hopping. No, it's not coming from here. It's coming from here.
Speaker 3: But you got rules right, right, right, absolutely so, And that's when people don't understand. You know, it gets real.
Speaker 13: Tough for radio, like and that war was a little oh it got outside.
Speaker 3: Looking at I was like what are y'all doing?
Speaker 13: But I meant it got yeah, it got petty, super he got petty.
Speaker 3: And at first it was fun. It was, but you can tell it wasn't fun anymore.
Speaker 13: I'm going to keep it a buck. Kind of slipped. It kind of separated the city, which was whack. And I said, to this day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you can't go to a power one of five party. Why I can't DJ with envy? Why can't you you with pro stout? Why can't what right?
Speaker 1: And it was like, hold up and pro stouts are heavy hit the right?
Speaker 3: He was?
Speaker 1: He was, I mean, especially at that time, shout the pro.
Speaker 13: Politics and yo, I'm not here to shore on nobody.
Speaker 3: I love you, bro, But he was. He was playing. He was being the general. You can't funk with that side.
Speaker 1: Ya was Crimson blood at one point, I remember, yeah.
Speaker 13: And and it hurts the It hurt to say, and I understood the what guy radio? But you know, once we're out that building, mhm, we are here in the streets.
Speaker 3: The way the world was, Bro, you pulled up in the club, we got stickers, were putting our stickers in the club. Then they would come and put their sticker over our thinker like b streets. That's what it was.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, I got caught up in that a little bit because I got brainwashed.
Speaker 3: I can't front I got caught.
Speaker 13: I was young on Radio No No, and I was like, oh, yeah, all them guys and little by little started getting brainwashed.
Speaker 3: You know, we all get brainwashed. And then I started what happened.
Speaker 1: What happened.
Speaker 13: I started following ABRO's energy. Right, you can't fuck with that side. But I'm still a rookie a radio I'm I'm like, well, yeah, we can't fuck with that side. I started phoning for it, and I regret that. I regret that because that was nonsense. You know, you can't the other day and I shade of nobody.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: I think abral was a great PD. He was doing his job. We wanted to win, that's it. But you know why it was great, bro, And I'm gonna tell you why because you protected us. Yes, he thought for us, the DJ that's the difference, right, and I got it. A lot of pds don't fight. They do their job when she gets hairy, right you know.
Speaker 13: So you know it was ugly, but at the same time as competition. At the end of the day, I could speak for myself and enough we got along with everybody at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I mean, at some point it's still competition. You still want to have the better set. Of course, you go in and.
Speaker 13: And then then and then when when you put it on a spot that you can't play with homeboy so you gotta do, then you're competing. He's at that coup, I'm gona here, and it becomes crazy competition.
Speaker 4: I mean, y'all could compete, but at the end of the day, you guys are home team as a city. That's the way it really should write.
Speaker 13: And that's where the toxic stops just started getting toxic.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 13: But listen, after a couple of years, I was like, this is is bullshit. I ain't doing this.
Speaker 1: And then and then did you did you think Flex had a a part in that as well?
Speaker 3: Like because he's forget.
Speaker 13: About he he was this and that's it. You know, I saw a different I was like, yo, okay, this is cool on the radio, no doubt we're winning. But once we're out there, right, it ain't that serious.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 13: It's like playing baseball, right, Yeah, the game is over having drinks at the at the after party with the fact that said mind warning, all right, you are ready.
Speaker 3: Let me get a drink.
Speaker 1: He said, let me a drink because off, because I guess pretty much? Which right when we cover in Bride? Which right?
Speaker 3: Cool? Want to be surrounded brother? What's up one? I want to ask this king.
Speaker 7: I kept searching all your interviews and things you've done, and you always said.
Speaker 3: I started heavy.
Speaker 1: Hitting this because I was never accepted in the big dog pep.
Speaker 3: That's one hundred percent of truth.
Speaker 1: You always say it playing around.
Speaker 3: So I was tight? Okay? So so you mean that? Have you asked him?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: He yo, bro okay. I remember being at the radio station and he was announcing like new DJs who was part of his collective, and it was like the DJ Twins, the guys used to be a red man. He started naming all these like DJ Premier whoever it was back at that and you at the station looking at him. Yeah, in the hallway, I was like, my man, we ain't gonna make me a big dup hit bull and then hit me with the you know, my man, you know the last crew, the last crew that I was a part of, the flip Squad DJs that wasn't really mine, that was Jessica's and this crew. I want this one to be mine, and you know, I think for this one, I'm gonna ask you to sit out. So he told me honestly, he told me straight up, but he was like, like, this ain't for me. So I was like it was almost like a balloon got deflated. I was like.
Speaker 4: That all sounds like saying you're so big this one for me, you could do your own kind of like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that wasn't thing. But look, in a weird way, me and me and Funk got a real love and hate relationship, right because we just go back so long. But he would tell me my ears. He was like, yeah, when you was gonna kiss, you kicked my ass when you played this record. And he was cutting up this record like he would give me my flowers, but behind closed doors, and I was like, damn, why he do that? And a part of you know, the conversation, you know, because this might be the last gonna talk about it. Yeah, But at the end of the day, I always felt like just because I'm moving a certain way and maybe you don't know about certain things or it's not the way you move doesn't mean I should be punished. You understand my point? So that that's kind of like the gist of this. So when I couldn't become a big little pibow recipes. DJ Threat he's the one that put up the idea. He was like, Yo, what we're gonna do, man about your own fucking crew. So I was like what And I didn't think about it.
Speaker 13: I said, DJ Threat put a battery on this guy.
Speaker 3: He did. He said literally, he was like masterflight. And I was like, damn. While we going there, like it's not Ain't that serious right? And he's like, NA, we're gonna we're gonna call it the heavy Hitters because your handled. My handle at the time was the heavy hitter. DJ and he was an old chubby and and and we used to have fat boy talking rating. I used to do a chip called the Midnight Run. I was on twelve to midnight till four in the morning, and the fat boy talk was all we talked about was the spots we get, the food, the best pizza, the best chicken, parmesan heroes, the best burgers. Real fat boy. This is before vegan life, before healthy anything. You know, I'm three hundred pounds talking fat boy talk because because in New York or any big city, even like Miami, you bring food up, you put a debate. If I say it's the best fried chicken in the world, somebody always got something to say, No, I get the best chicken. This to Miami again, New York Pizza Miami. Now, I don't care what almost like the chicken sandwich beef that Popeyes and Chick fil a and whatever, the McDonald's whatever sandwich that was a real beef. The internet went crazy off for that. So that's what it was.
Speaker 4: So and then the heavy hit is behold up before the DJ crews wise, was it Flip Squad then Big Dog Pipples? What other DJ crews were around at that time, especially for radio and radio?
Speaker 3: I mean even period, because the only ones I knew were the Pirate DJs in the Bay. They had a crew, the Pirate dj I remember that, because then shortly after you had the Technicians and the Technicians Union DJ's in the city that came after that that way after, so.
Speaker 5: It was just Big Dog Pipples. Really at that moment.
Speaker 3: There was other DJ crews, but they went on radio, right it was more like DJs.
Speaker 4: Who battled No, no, no, I'm talking about radio because that that at that moment, having been able to get everybody together and unison on radio is a big deal. That's a power move. So at that point, Big Dog Pipples had that on lock and then you come in.
Speaker 3: So he created that. Do you think that was that?
Speaker 1: What started the competition right there? Is that you actually went and started your own crew.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the one thing I'm gonna bring up and rest in peace to mississ mssr C. Really very very good friend of mine, and that's the peace. He came to me one day at the radio station and he's like, damn near the vice president of the Big Dog pippolls right, and he says, yo, he you've given all these DJs a shot. You're not afraid of them taking your job? And I was like, no, see, you know why where me and you come from, these kids ain't got nothing. And for us to give him an opportunity to shine a little bit, what's the hurting that ain't? What's the hurting that bro?
Speaker 1: So what you so what are you saying? Like Big Dog pick bulls will only sign people.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think they understood there the more of a rale part of being a human being. And I understand this competition. Understand people want to be number one and the king of this and the king of that. But you see somebody busting their butt week after week at the club. He's doing his thing, he's making a little bit of noise. You know, he's good. He's probably even better than some DJs you know on your own station. So he's like, you know what, come up here, man, you co signed him. Go do a mixed show, Go do a mix weekend, Go busting out on Saturday, Go do your thing. You know what's the hurt in that? How you hurting? So that's all this, that's well. And then we became family. Bro, that's the biggest thing. Like, listen, I'm the third guy he put down. Who's threat? It was me and threat And then this fanatic I was in midtown Manhattan, somewhere I found no where you probably was going to a gig or coming from a gig, and I was like, yo, threat, who we're gonna put down? He said, I don't know. Let's let's figure it out. And then DJ come on walks around the corner like literally hit and I said, what about come alo? He goes, yeah, I like coming though I like Comlo too. Yo, come on, you want to be down with us? We start a new DJ.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: How you been doing at the time just mixtapes? Back there was just clubs and mixtapes. I was, yeah, that was no story. He said yes, without even no hesitation. No, nothing that was and mind you haven't this was nothing? Then what an idea? And I said, what a crew? Yeah, I'm down, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 13: And I wasgging, mind you, I'm talking to DJ enough for you, and this even doing this show called Midnight run Night said midnight late.
Speaker 3: I was just tuning it on the way to club, like killing it, that's all.
Speaker 13: You start bodying it. And then this guy says, you want to be down with me? And there's no questions, like did not even think about let's go? And it started right there and and and this.
Speaker 1: Is for lack of a better term. Were you local at the time?
Speaker 3: Super local? Okay, local? Super I was local around the way Blanc Boulevard.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you, but I know that, like you know, I didn't know if it was just a queen's thing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: He's from Brooklyn. It was from Long Island. Wow, no queens nothing. I was local at the Woodside store was the numbers.
Speaker 13: And then I was pushing tapes that maybe I was a little not local because of the mixtapes.
Speaker 3: Right was everywhere you work on the mixtapes for five Yeah? Yeah yeah, And I used to send this guy mixtape. Yeah. I had my store and and I was super local.
Speaker 13: And when he came up to me, what is it to think about, Let's go what's next?
Speaker 1: Because you wasn't local, you are already the show with Switzerland.
Speaker 3: I was already moving around. He was. He was living in France for a little while doing all this craziness. Was living there. I was doing gigs like that. You there for weeks, going back and forth back like you know enough. It was like my passport.
Speaker 4: But heavy hitters became a monster. Shout out to mister MAURICEI out here in Miami.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I think you.
Speaker 13: Should tell one of the things about putting heavy hitters down.
Speaker 3: So I was the rule for us. It was like you had to be a dope club DJ, a dope producer, or you had to be you had to be a mixtape dj. Like those were like the carters, you know, like simple things like and then you never got called up, I guess.
Speaker 13: But you also had to be hot in your city, oh your area, like you have to run your you had to be a heavy hit up.
Speaker 3: So for example, you mentioned Pro Style like he was hot in Orlandos that was incredible. He was the guy in all orland That's why we do our heavy to retreats to this day because it started from Pro Style because coming up in November, right, yeah, going to Puerto Rico. Warning. So how the heavy hit of retreat started was Pro Style invited us to a barbecue at his crib in Orlando. So he's like, all right, let's do it. Because we had we had like a family trip with the heavy it is. We went to Universal Studios. So he's like, yeah, we're gonna do now. Bro was like, fun, let's comes to the crib barbecue. Family. We had a barbecue. It's alligators in the lake. Were like, what the hell is going on? Like this is Regularida, New York. You know, next time that's not regular backyard exactly.
Speaker 13: So so little by Little became a family, you know what I'm saying. So you know, little by little fell, he fell in the leg. He became a heavy hit up. I mean we could see it for days. Fyrus in Chicago, mister Mauricio. Internet, it goes international. We got DJ lead and Japan, you know, and it. But it wasn't just about politics and it was it was a family straight up. When when there was times when people couldn't pay their rent, or there was a situation somebody got sick.
Speaker 3: Yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 13: Yo, chipping bills hold when they talk about it, you know, this is real family stuff. DJ is like DJ crews, they don't do that. This was different for us, so we were very enough. It was very okay, who putting out and why? And let's give him some time, you know what I'm saying. I'll give you an example. Like DJ, he's on a Mega like it took Mega said it took him about six to seven years to get down. And he was on our next every year, every year, every year. And then after a while he showed up to one of the heavy headed retreats. It wasn't a heavy he it pulled up. I said, yo, eat if one guy then earning his stripes is this man right here?
Speaker 3: He don't stop.
Speaker 13: And we put Kalita down. Now he's on prime time make it, but he earned the stripes. He called me one day, he said, Yo, these guys are calling me. They wanted me to get down with this crew. But I said, nah, because I'm still waiting to be a heavy hitterer.
Speaker 3: That's dope. How long on is that? You know what I'm saying? That made me feel good?
Speaker 5: And he still started as a record pool originally.
Speaker 3: Now we got the heavy this foundation, there's a five and one C three And what we do is we we have drives. So like we went to d R one time and we literally built a basketball court for a school that was literally underwater, you know, like it was a mess. The classrooms are mess. You know, it's poverty everywhere. Some kids ain't got it, bro, you'd be surprised with they don't.
Speaker 6: God.
Speaker 3: So we started to collect and then my wife put it together and she would have, like, I need two hundred of bags. And then we've got composite, uh, notebooks, crayons, folders, pens, the racists, glue sticks and you know, every little thing and even a little toy we're put in there. Right and then when you go there and you give him these bags to the kids. Also, a little kid, he probably was like six years old, he got a little reindeer, like a little fluffy reindeer. It probably costs a dollar fifty. This kid was like, oh my god, and in tears and kids that he got a reindeer. And I was like, this is crazy. I said, we got to do this, DR, So what else have you done?
Speaker 1: The retreats that a.
Speaker 3: Lot of them were in DR because I have a timeshare, are right, and at the time shared they would give us like good discounsel with the rooms and we if we book a certain amount of rooms, they'll throw a few rooms for free at us.
Speaker 13: Whatever.
Speaker 3: That's the way we did it. And then we started to venture out to different places. And now it's now it's like wherever we go, we're gonna look for places. Like my wife used to be an aba therapist for autism. When we went to we went to a school and and Dominican Republic, they don't even recognize autism as a whole. So my wife took all her legal teachings of being an aba therapist and what's good for them, and she translated everything in Spanish so they could read and learn. And you go to these schools that're fucked up. They have no floors, they're not even clean, they have no cushions for the kids to sit on or whatever. So I'm not saying we could make everything per figure, but we're gonna make it a little bit better. Make it a little bit better, bros. Because you know what, we go through these fancy resorts, we turn up, we have a good time. But I don't know if you guys know, resorts are usually built in fucked up neighborhoods and usually push out poor families and poor people. This place, they could, you know, build these monumental establishments so that we could get a spa massage for ninety minutes, or we could you know, you know what I'm saying. That's real talk. So that's why we do it, bro. Yeah, it's impoint.
Speaker 13: You know, we could sit as a as a crew of family. Were different. We're different and have made its different.
Speaker 1: Now before the other day, have you ever been called a snake before?
Speaker 3: What snake made in my life?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Never ever?
Speaker 7: So how did you feel? Because because your snake number one? Right, yes, and then and then Juice Cayn number two, I think, Okay, I'm asking for a friend. All right, so who's your friend?
Speaker 1: This guy.
Speaker 15: From the.
Speaker 3: How did you feel hearing that lies? Straight up lies?
Speaker 13: I was like, what?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 13: How you figuring out? What are we talking about? You know, somebody made up a story and changed the narrative.
Speaker 3: To his liking. I don't know why.
Speaker 13: You know, somebody said that I took this man's job and I'm sneaked them right, and you know, you know enough could tell you how I got that job.
Speaker 3: Ain't going like that. I am, mhmm, what what Tony was the fifty?
Speaker 13: That's what I'm telling enough, But I'm loyalist, fuck.
Speaker 3: Hands down.
Speaker 7: Wasn't it a rumor of like red Alert put you on and then you had to fire Red Alert at some point or something like that.
Speaker 3: Let me clear this up because I heard read it on here and Red don't get mad because Red Red is stubborn. I love Red Okay. It will always be my boss Alert, And I'm glad I'm up here so I can tell my side of the story. Now, when the higher upside hote these seven at the time, they call him into the office and they're like, we want you to do the shift from now, one thing would be a good look for you, and I'm like, I can't do that. That's Red Shift. No, no, no, you know listening to me, I'm like, I'm not doing that. That's Red Ship. I'm not doing that to him. And then I got the evil face like, look, if you don't take it, I'm giving it to somebody else. You got to Saturday to tell me if you want it or not. So I'm like, damn, will wrestle. So then I talked to a few other people in the building and it was already under the impression that the we were trying to get rid of him. I went straight to the DJ booth and had to talk with him. You know what doctor Kitto is, Yeah, of course right, but they can't do it. That's almost like when you hit a kid from me, you know, burning still you realize that. So I went to go tell Red, and Red is the most peaceful DJ in the world. In fact, I get it fucked up. I never even heard him yell at anybody in the thirty forty plus. Here's I know him right. When I told him that I was just offered his job, it's almost he was like, get out of here, that's not true. I'm like Red I'm telling you, like he didn't want to hear me, and he was like, no, you know Chris Lddie's his manager at the time. Yeah, they were working something out for a new contract, whatever it was. So he dismissed me, and that was her but he's still my father. So I took it whatever and I left. Now this is the crazy part. I'm scheduled to go on vacation and I went to Puerto Rico so my six month year old son could meet his grandmother for the first time. So I go and I'm literally there. My son gets thick, he gets dehydrated, and one week turns into three weeks and it's like, it's crazy. So I miss the firing of Red Alert. I'm in Puerto Rico. I had no idea what's happening. I knew what was happening, but just didn't know when, right, So I guess that Monday I was supposed to come back and start to shift.
Speaker 13: Right, and you back then there's no Instagram, there's no there's no instant, no smartphones.
Speaker 3: It maybe it's star attack, maybe.
Speaker 1: Right, But that was the rumor though, right, that you took his job.
Speaker 3: So I had a salty taste in my mouth because it was like I would never take his job. But at the end of the day, it was like if I don't take it, somebody else will. They're gonna get rid of him any way. So at that point I was like, oh, Ship, what do I do? Then I get a phone call from the girl I'll come back and vacation and the job was officially slated for kick Capre mm hmm wow wow job wow wow wow kick Capree and then I don't know whatever, the conversations word didn't work out. Then there was supposed to be DJ Ace or then myself because me and Ace were DJs that were doing our thing on Kiss FM before ninety seven became a thing. We were part of this DJ clique called the Bomb Squad. It was only like three of us. It wasn't that, no little bomb squad. It was a thing because we used to play bombs on the radio and then flex toole our idea and boom. And then he became the biggest bomb drop off baby. So there's a guy named Chris mccardo, and Chris Mercado is the sound imaging person at the station who cuts commercials. He does he uploads the music into the system, another big computer. We talked about the sound effects, the imaging for the station that goes Bunny points of you know, all that weird stuff they hoisted. They put sound effects. He's that guy. He found that sonic boom drop that you hit for this day that flex still plays. He found that. But the bomb squad we had a we had a real cheesy drop. All she went like it was horrible. His was like like a sonic destruction. And they changed the game with that drop. But that's that's my stide of the story, and I'm sticking to it.
Speaker 1: So did you finish about being called a Well, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's best.
Speaker 13: I think it's best enough tell you how I ended up doing five o'clock when he on four o'clock when he was doing.
Speaker 7: Because breakdown, because if anybody tuned into seven yesterday, right, this come out next week.
Speaker 3: So I apologize.
Speaker 1: But what they were saying is I got just.
Speaker 7: One saying everyone knows how the slots go right, And then we got you saying, well you posting the picture saying and then you know you're playing yesterday saying take the snake.
Speaker 1: You know he was going crazy, all right, So.
Speaker 3: Snake Robert's hold on you was really saying all that.
Speaker 1: What's going down? I got the city late, like I'm loud.
Speaker 3: To you, so you know, you know they call me the snake on the radio. I'm like, okay, I'm snaking number one. I'm gonna be the best number one snake, my hand number snake. You know, if you really want to break it down how I got that slot, I'll tell you. You know what I'm saying. The year was twenty fifteen. Go ahead. This dude was overseas hurt in the hospital. He broke his knee or something. I broke my knee. I was on tour. I did Italy.
Speaker 13: The next day, I did a country called Moldova and Modova. I broke money in a hotel, had an accident. This happened on the end the that's.
Speaker 3: WEEA could join. I think you were trying to sneak out the bathroom. I fell in the bathroom. That's what happened.
Speaker 13: I broke my knee. Literally in third world, the eastern European country.
Speaker 3: This happened.
Speaker 1: If I've been on low, I don't know what Modova is.
Speaker 3: Just so you know, okay, yes, why I fly back? I fly back fly back.
Speaker 13: The whole summer I was out of commission, off in bed at home, no radio, no gigs. Summer twenty fifteen, I'm bed knocked out. Enough is on the radio doing what he does best.
Speaker 3: I got a rumor and I heard in the streets that four on five off of Caamelo's fly okay, And I got tight. I was like, no, no, no, no, no, no, we're not having that. Okay, oh this is this is before m was on the radio. He said no, no, he was already on the radio rail okay, he didn't have he didn't have that time. Stock was doing the New I was doing on radio You do it too, doing the New two.
Speaker 13: I was doing the New tow for a while and we had left and we started that, and we started that and we left. I took over Now two and I was doing New too, and I was doing Friday's Nights heavy hit hour.
Speaker 1: That was that was your official first spot was New two.
Speaker 13: No, my first spot was midnight okay. And then I had that short Lights out okay, okay.
Speaker 3: And then when when it first started with I heard the rumor that they were trying to take him from us, and I had three or four hours on a Friday. So I said, now, man, I'm gonna give you extra hour on a Friday. You just just called the heavier hour. And you know you're a host of DJ. It's all yours to try to at least team. This is due from leaving because he's hot. He's being twenty fifteen but he's still hot, right, He's so hump he's so humble, bro, but he's fucking one of the hottest DJs in the city. He's on fires.
Speaker 13: So yeah, so he gave me that first loot. It used to be his on Fridays, he was on for three hours. He gave me that last hour right before mister See got on, and it was amazing. That was the happiest DJ in the city. You could give me nothing else.
Speaker 3: Happy. Everybody's listening, everybody. Everybody's goal.
Speaker 13: Everybody's goal is to be on primetime radio. Every DJ, everybody's everybody.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry this warning. Everybody's goal is to be on prime time radio.
Speaker 13: If somebody asked me one day, yo, you want to be on five o'clock, win enough so on I will always say fuck yeall one day one day.
Speaker 3: So you know how it all went down. Since this guy's not talking. It all went down is I'm in bed out.
Speaker 13: Of commission, trying to recover from his knee injury. Enough is doing radio with Nessa, and I don't know what happened between them, you know, whether he wasn't happy Ornessa wasn't happy.
Speaker 3: The marriage wasn't great, correct, it wasn't good. Bro. I welcomed her with open arms, and I felt like she was just scrutinizing. You know what I realized to this day, and I mean just recently. A lot of us, including y'all, we all come from the street, First Club Street. We grew up in the street. There's nobody who coached us on how to do this. Ain't nobody saying, yo, just how you're in a podcast. Nobody came you say you do this? How you DJ for none of us. So it's all try by era. We do what we can. We're trying to be human, video out figure it out right. The homegirl came from like like the radio geek squad, like she's yo. Her and her producer they like this. They're flowing this yo. They don't make no fucking mistakes. They great at what they do. Polished. They probably went to school. I don't even know. But anyway, they were very good. It's just they're just like it's just like a machine's almost it's almost too perfect to me. So after a while I was like, Yo, I don't know if I could deal with this.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: I got I'm a I'm a people person. I'm into this, I'm into feelings, emotions, I'm I mean, I gotta go somewhere where I feel comfortable. So I got up out of there, I say, I'm out. I got off of to do a shot in the middays with Megan. She was a new girl. She was working here in Miami for a little while. And at that time I get to I get the phone call, like, Yo, do you want to do this? I said, whoa? What howerre? I'm home? We're broken the still. I said, you, let's switch, bro, I said, first phone call, I didn't call him. I said, if you don't mind, can we switch, bro? Because I wouldn't mind. It's the same thing, BRO, You're on for us ninety minutes. I'm on for a hour. What's the what's another fat fifteen twenty minute? Who cares?
Speaker 13: But you know, to keep it a buck. The first phone called there was enough yo eat.
Speaker 3: I can't. I don't want this like this. Wait when this is?
Speaker 1: This is recently you're talking about.
Speaker 13: This is twenty fifteen when I supposedly took the snake over here, took the job.
Speaker 3: So you know, I said, I can't. He said, bro, take it.
Speaker 13: If you don't take it, somebody else's and I don't want nobody else to take it, but you you deserve it.
Speaker 3: Of course I gotta. I got. That's what I'm real Like, what else am I gonna do?
Speaker 13: This is my brother, you know. I he told me what it was and what they're he gonna be doing, Say, all right, cool? And then you know, then I talked to NASA and then whatever it is, what it is.
Speaker 3: And then I got on the.
Speaker 13: Shift, and here we are ten years later, you know, and all of a sudden, I'm a snake O.
Speaker 3: Good from back then? From that move.
Speaker 13: Well, that's what they say. Now, that's what somebody said that a couple of days ago. That's how it was that happened.
Speaker 5: So that's what they're they're recalling that.
Speaker 3: I sneaked him? Did I sneak my brother? Ten years ago?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: I sneaked him?
Speaker 1: They were saying from recently. Yea, But you know.
Speaker 3: That's what this is. I'm confused because everybody's thinking that this is a two years ago.
Speaker 1: Was was Jeuki on? I don't think he was unht he was.
Speaker 3: He was doing boards and he was around. He was remember remember Juskie used to do the boards for Angie. That's right.
Speaker 1: Forgot what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Before that you carry records for sounds?
Speaker 13: All right, He's been around. He's not a young new boy on the block. He's been in that station for a long time. Good dude, a guy that the young, the young boys embrace. The young world loves him because he supports that music.
Speaker 3: He's that guy.
Speaker 13: They look for him. They don't look for nobody else.
Speaker 3: They look for him. You know a lot of people hate that.
Speaker 1: So he act straight up put the band aid off. Do you think he got you fired?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm just thinking about it for a second, Okay. I mean, I know he says he loves me. He says TM is not going to get whatever or whatever. But how do you sure love like that? Not like that.
Speaker 13: It's deeper than rat man, it's deeper than that. But I don't you know, every want to talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been around for a long time together saying, just period, all of us doing what we do, and I know everybody goes their way at times, and I know, look, there's there's been some real talk that me and him had that I might have not liked, Like, you know, yo, you gotta die your bed.
Speaker 1: He told you that we want to.
Speaker 3: You gotta be wanted to. You gotta die your big You don't die. Your kids are gonna think you too old ship you would be. So it's those conversations just you know, I was doing the mix show, coordinating jobs at the station, doing the music meetings, and then I noticed that he would show up and support and then he would bitch about the music. And I'm like, yo, all the DJs voted on these songs. If you get the emails, you invited to all the meetings, like everybody else's be vocal, let's talk, let's build. But he never wanted to do it. And I don't know if it's because he didn't like me at the home, running the conference room or whatever it was. But I can't tell you where it just ultimately cracked for him where he was like because in his mind, he says, I gave up, you know, by letting him win, by letting chous Key win, staking number one, sting number two, by letting them win. But that was never my motto. Remember what I see asked, how could you let those guys do? Aren't you afraid of losing? I said no, because if they deserve it, then they should get it. That's just the way it is, bro, and he deserves it. Not my slide, but he deserves a big shot.
Speaker 5: Plus, you guys are a collective, so you're all winning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all win, we all hold each other. And that's how I always looked at it. That's the difference between me and him. That's it I saw it is. I'm not a gangster, I'm not a tough guy, but his talk ship game is imprepeccable. He's been doing it for years the same.
Speaker 7: Dude, it's breaking, you gotta take it's good. So now, because I just to be honest with you, I'm a New Yorker. We clear we get it from New Yorker, And to me, I've never thought I'll see this moment like period like because I felt like I always knew it's a little bit of turmoil, but I felt like everyone covered it up very well. For years, so I thought it was just never like you know, this would never like transport.
Speaker 13: You're trying to say, it's sad to see that happened the way it is going down, That's what I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to say. Making sure it's say funk.
Speaker 13: Out of it too, because at this day and age, we've done so much.
Speaker 3: We're not young.
Speaker 13: This is where we are in our career. We've been you know, winning, We've been winning together collective. You know, whether you're there here, we're winning. And it comes to this ship, what are we doing out here?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: What are we doing out here? You know what I'm saying. That's it?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 3: And and and you feel about the love and support that New York was giving you. Make sure you're speaking in the buddy love and support coming from New York? Like do you feel like everybody has your back? Still? And my man, that's the most overwhelming part. I was gonna say that him. I'm in the crib chilling now since I got to let go. I just I can imagine fire you who I haven't spoken because I'm outside to thirty years everybody, I got your back.
Speaker 13: Of course, he's the difference. The streets love us organically. I can't speak about the other side. The streets fuck with USO.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you a funny story. I just told him today because they were assuming he sneak number one. I have gooms getting ready to go see Hi at the next party. Not These are my friends I grew up with and they were just trying to, you know, hold me down. Of course we're gonna come see him. And I'm like, no, no, relaxed, that's my brother, right, So you gotta be careful what we say.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 13: They say that when how who should? Is when you change the narrative?
Speaker 3: And what if they do? Yeah? Man, how people think and the streets look at oh Shire?
Speaker 4: What what?
Speaker 16: How?
Speaker 3: Quick? Because people because people don't understand the intricates in this out of business.
Speaker 13: The all they hear is what they hear, and they think it's really right. We live in the generation you see the clip and that you believe it right away.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you, because after you DJ didn't flex come right.
Speaker 3: On after you you started yesterday?
Speaker 1: Okay, because y'all y'all in the same building yesterday, Yeah, saw each other.
Speaker 4: No, So.
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 13: Our radio station is going through an amazing, crazy transition. The studios are really shitty, and I go live from my studio okay, which is nice, clean sounds even better.
Speaker 3: I think you ain't clean sounds going through. For the past five years, I've been going live in.
Speaker 13: My studio and with Nessa, and we've been killing it for y'all doing remote. Yeah, she goes in, she does her thing. I do.
Speaker 3: I'll go live every day for the studio flawlessly.
Speaker 5: You would never know because invested in the studio.
Speaker 3: So he was saying, yeah, they have it. They haven't.
Speaker 13: They've been saying the past two years there's new studios coming. They haven't even they haven't even put a nail on the wall.
Speaker 1: Trying to get out of jobs.
Speaker 13: I think the whole country is eventually. I think that's where you know, you broke everybody.
Speaker 3: Fun company that brought us right before COVID. That means they don't care who made money. Say again, hold up, that means they don't.
Speaker 1: Care who made money.
Speaker 5: Bro the hedge fund does not care, but who made money?
Speaker 3: Like literally, the VC, you spend seven hundred mili whatever the hell of horse and you don't get no money back on return. We don't even have a sales department.
Speaker 1: And let's teot it. You don't have a PD.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a consultant. It's been it's been fourteen months. We haven't had a PD.
Speaker 13: We just got a consultant, like to consultant as the PD consultant. And mind you, he's a good guy. I like him, a great guy. I'm gonna keep it a buck. We're so professional that you can never tell to this day because we're still running the show like it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Nobody got taking away from anybody.
Speaker 13: Morning Show is doing the thing afternoon's news, and we're doing our thing.
Speaker 3: The numbers speak for itself.
Speaker 13: In fact, the guy at seven o'clock is doing his thing respectfully, and.
Speaker 3: We still at five o'clock. Now, oh you are five, No, I'm on four to five.
Speaker 13: Four other guys at five, okay, sneaking number ones at four all right to the snake is bro But but you know, respect we're so professional as a as a building that we're still holding the fourth down without a p D, without a proper still deployment. What I would ever and because you know why, because we work hard, and we love the brand, and we love the culture and we still want to break records. We still want to grab that new kind of like back in the days and blowing the funk up. We still we still love what we do.
Speaker 5: Do you guys feel that terrestrial radio still has the power?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: I believe, I believe this week show proved it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry y'all if I believe this week it's not the same.
Speaker 13: Of course since when super Dog was coming up, of course, not that was that was that was the only channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still a big thing. People don't understand that it is. It's a big thing. It's not especially you started to cut you off.
Speaker 1: But this week it proved it.
Speaker 3: Everyone was tuned in the hot and.
Speaker 1: Y'all speaking about hot like that.
Speaker 3: That's that's what was kind of dope.
Speaker 7: Like it actually showed the power of that should not be the reason why they're tuned.
Speaker 3: I mean, who cares get what he's saying? Reality, Like, come on, we can't go down that.
Speaker 7: If it was fake, if it was fake, we could say it's real, this is not this is not fake, this.
Speaker 3: Is all real.
Speaker 4: The reason why I say that is that why couldn't you guys, with the power that you guys have as a collective. Take this into your own hands, like either be able to somehow partner with someone that pulls the license to get your own terrestrial or go completely serious exam channel.
Speaker 13: I think I think it's that's a scary move. Radio, like you said, is not what it was so doing that movie Left end Radio is not what it was so so so we have so many other channels to be continued. That's what I'll believed it in the end.
Speaker 3: As hip hop, we need to own more. We need to what we built should be owned. But that's been the struggle since day one, right or remember.
Speaker 1: That we we do have his jobs too, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: That's like me personally, Like like I always tell you I enjoyed working for Love and Hip Hop because it wasn't like I just could show up and I could just do what I gotta do and I can just leave, you know what I mean, Like as opposed to like when you control everything, you have to you have to be there before they come, and you have to be there after they bounce, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But you don't have to be the manager always.
Speaker 5: You can hire, you can be old.
Speaker 7: What I'm saying is sometimes I enjoy so like to answer your question, but I'll answer your question for y'all, Like sometimes it's cool to work for other people like that ship is cool because it's just like, yo, let me go go through my job and then that's it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's how it's just comfortable. Yeah, yeah, the important part, you know what, I'm gonna keep it a buck. And I never said this before. Okay, I should have been left hot on any seven. I stayed there way too long. I stayed there past my time. I was too I was yet Okay, I think the point I'm trying to get at is I got too comfortable because it was something I was good at. I enjoyed doing it, like you said, and I remember like when I first got my first gig, I would have did it for free, bro, that's how much I love hip hop. I would have did it for free.
Speaker 4: That's been hip hop's problem from the beginning, though. That's the problem because we don't treat it as a business. We treat it on some emotional ship, on our hearts and our slaves.
Speaker 13: And furthermore, it's like we, like you said, we need to own it and whoever, even if you work for somebody, those people you work for give a.
Speaker 4: Fuck, that's the problem, and care about the culture is going to give a fuck, right right, then they're not culturally invested in hip hop exactly the culture.
Speaker 13: And yeah and a Hedgephne running and it's not going to care. They just care about how we're gonna flip this and keep it fucking.
Speaker 3: Moving, right. That's all they're doing is I don't hate them. That's that's the goal either way, that's their goal. But guess what's going to happen this brand that you're pushing.
Speaker 7: But like I always make Joe of my friend's Sonny sometimes I tell him, I tell him like you're a company man, right, like he literally won't miss work, Like you know what I'm saying, like go work all the time?
Speaker 3: Good for him? Yeah, I make fun of it. I make fun of it. Right, And then I heard Hero won't miss work with this guy?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know what I'm saying, Like you know what I mean, Like man like you, it's a great thing. But job, I always I've always been a joke of it. Now when I heard about ebro ebral were saying, like someone that about flex it is like, yo, you know, Flex is going to do exactly what these venture capitalists people want them want him to do, like like he's going to promote them. He's a company, He's going to do that. So basically he's a company.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 7: Is that something that I think you have to fall in align with and like follow those types of steps or is it?
Speaker 1: Is it something that you feel like, you know what I mean, you're going to maintain who you are.
Speaker 13: Listen, it's a business and we don't own it, right, And at the end of the day, you gotta win, and you gotta follow rules, and you know, if it's a right company, yeah, you gotta you know, but you at the same time, you gotta know how to be working man. You gotta be yourself at the same time you normally gotta be Nori. But if you work for somebody, you also got to play by their rules.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 13: And as a DJ and a radio station hip hop, everybody thinks, oh, Camilla, why don't you play this enough? Why don't you play this a you can? This is a I work for somebody.
Speaker 3: They got rules and instructing.
Speaker 13: So right, it's programming, So you know, you have to be able to finagle that, and that's what we're great at.
Speaker 3: We're able to fenagle that.
Speaker 13: And then I could give them thirty percent of Kamiento who he really is, and take this risk and play this fucking on which they hate. When I do, you know, this is what the fuck is popping. I believe them, you know what I'm saying, enough, same thing? You know how many how many years did you enough push the envelope a little bit?
Speaker 3: Every year? Kanye West reached the envelope every year?
Speaker 13: You know, I mean, we could sit here for days. I don't know whom. I love thems Corney Brooklyn. I love his music.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 13: I wish I could. I wish I could play that record, you know. You know, so I have to Finigga forms.
Speaker 3: This countless acts we play over and over again that there's always something. I remember playing Hi my Name Is by Eminem and the PD came from all the way in the back, was like, how the fuck are you playing? Rock and roll? Is just hip hops? I mean, this kid's on fire. He's going to be the next one, I promise you.
Speaker 13: You know, one time that ship, one time I was I was feeling it for enough when this is morning show.
Speaker 3: I feeled them and I'm sorry.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry this you know this morning show, Morning show stonebunk Wold, right. He put me to fill in. I did a few times. One time I played React by Eric Sermon.
Speaker 3: That's a record the ice Cream King ice Cream. We used to call it tricksy, Yo, what are you doing? No? No, no no.
Speaker 13: If you don't play to them, cut your poo, go back to the program, like whoa you know this is this is the thing.
Speaker 3: That happened in radio.
Speaker 13: And I understand back then, I get it. I just mixtape kid on the radio, like you know, trying to play that fire. But this is part of the game. I understand now what it.
Speaker 3: Is Morning is. It's supposed to be a broader audience. They hit Morning is way more strict. Like Enough said, none of us would trained for this.
Speaker 13: You know, we let we learned by trial and error, and this is what makes us great now because now we know how to play both sides. You know, you know, of course I want to enough wants to be enough, one hundred percent. Comeing Al wants to be one hundred percent. But when you're on that radio, you can't be yourself one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: You got to play.
Speaker 13: You gotta behind ID seven hundred percent cool.
Speaker 3: That's a trick. You just got to know how to do it, man, And it sucks, but it is what it is.
Speaker 4: But there might be an opportunity, now there's always not forced, Yeah, to make an opportunity to be one hundred percent of safe? Was it?
Speaker 1: Was it hard working with Star on book?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, legend.
Speaker 13: Star didn't give up the fuck and that was the beauty and that was the beauty and that's why he went because he was himself one hundred percent. He wasn't playing.
Speaker 3: So how did you wind up on a star? Because I was doing mornings first with Ed Lover and and I forgot the girl's named Maya something, the white girl, and then later on it was fat Man School Jones is the piece and kerk Flir. So they kept me in the morning because I was good.
Speaker 1: And and so you had you heard a starbuck while at that time, Oh.
Speaker 3: No, Star, you used to work at Virgin Records, Virgin the Record, okay, And I used to be an intern for Virgin back in the days. Okay, So I knew him from from from back then, okay, But I knew his real name wasn't he didn't go by start Okay, that's it, and then the game seven and she got let he got lit. He was trying to control what I played okay, yeah, not the station okay, for himself in what ways? What was it like? I used to play this bro, and I'm like, but he was wild because sometime he would just ask for like Nirvana, yeah really yeah?
Speaker 5: So he was eclectic of this ship.
Speaker 3: There was another group, his favorite group, rock and roll group Ship not Cold Play, with some other ship like Presto Rush. He used to be like, do we not play the Rush ship? Yea, this straight rock and roll bro like you, I don't want to hear that book of jig music. I'd be like what, and that's how you talk to us? So I got frustrated. One day, I took my little book back for my stuff away and I left. I boogied my ass off the station. I said, fuck, did I quit? And then the boss came what is enough? He just quits? And like what? She ran down the block and she chased me for like a block and a half. That's when I knew I was important. For the first time. I was like, she didn't give a fuck. She was just left me right, but she chased me and she was like, no, you gotta come back. You one of my best DJs. So I was like, oh shit, that was the first time I knew I had a little bit of power, a little bit. Oh good. Yeah, I just texted, uh. She just texted me the other day and I just told her, thank you for everything you changed my life. You have no idea how much you changed my life.
Speaker 7: All right, So I'm bounce abound a little bit. So how did you get the call that like you're being go this time?
Speaker 3: Somebody called me and said, hey, can we meet And I was like, yeah, sure, I said, give meet me at the studio. He was like, no, I need to come by the offices. I said, alright, cool studio offices two different places down the block from each other, but to different places. So I said, I said, what time's cool? Around eleven? I said, now you know, let's do that one and I go for my shift. No, no, no, I'm lying, I said. I beat the bottom eleven, handing me a piece of paper and I said, yo, like a termination letter. Yeah, yo, thank you for your services. This is hard for me. Blah blah blah, blah blah. Were the person is saying that or the letter saying that. I mean, the person is saying anything like that, but I don't want to put that person on blast. Okay cool? And then I was worried that's it. And then he goes, that's it. You know, we're going to start something new, so on Tuesday day, you know, and you're just not gonna be part of the lineup.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I was like, all right, that's it. Peace. When's my last day tomorrow? All right? Cool? Damn that quick. So then I was gonna DJ from home like we have been remote, all right, But then this animal and one of my other DJs is like, now we're gonna celebrate you.
Speaker 13: Bro.
Speaker 3: I just you know, respectfully, you better seven years, you better come to work. We're gonna we're gonna film this. We're gonna show the world that you know, we're gonna salute you. So we.
Speaker 1: Got we got, we got the yallows the yallos.
Speaker 3: Okay, one of the get the one.
Speaker 1: Let's give him the one y'allo hold on, hold on like a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you heard us say right now you need nervous. Jake said that we gotta salute the point.
Speaker 1: So look, we want to your flowers because I wish I was there in there, like.
Speaker 3: I love that, yes, but ah get no. So you know that's when I got on the horn. I got to work. I said, Yo.
Speaker 13: I called everybody, well not everybody, but at least you know, it was so last minute, you know, I just started fakking phone calls, every DJ, every you know, everybody, and said, listen tomorrowing on the last show, we're all pulling up, salute him and give him his flowers. He put his sweat into his place, you know, respectfully in his heart. He has had anety seven because this is what he did for twenty seven thirty years. So you know, fad Joe, fad Joe said what's address? He didn't hesitate, he didn't say what what's address? You know, And from there it was just ripple. You know, Calig pulled up, Jim Jones called me for It was just a celebration.
Speaker 3: It was beautiful. A guy was crying on the radio, which is a beautiful thing. Did you see a video? Yeah, did you see that? What I said? Because I started.
Speaker 10: Finished all right to the hard from TV. Baby that a way to sign on that aman.
Speaker 3: Kids used to have people in a friends, you don't disrespect, y'o. I remember doing there's a club in New York called uh, it was called Club Carbon that was now was that It's called Terminal five, but it was exiting. It was black and I remember, I remember in ninety eight there was a girl from DC named Steph Lover. Yeah, and Steph Lover used to work with me, Yes and if and I brought it to the club and I threw on Van from TV and it was the ultimate razor blade fight.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: When I tell you she came from DC and she was like you, I thought DC was the murder capital. But you'll be on some other ship, YO. Next we'll getting sliced goushous open. That's what Nori did to the streets. He had people going crazy. But so let's describe that year. This is the first year you get on radio.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 3: For me, I have two legacies that I picked.
Speaker 1: What is it called the ten year decade?
Speaker 4: What is it.
Speaker 3: That I picked?
Speaker 7: Right, it's the one that I'm not in and the one that I'm in and the one that I'm in. It starts from ninety seven. It's like two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: That decade.
Speaker 7: What nineteen ninety eight to me is one of the best years of music. So I need to hear you from a DJ perspective. This is so when did you start? What year did you start on that radio in nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 3: What month? I mean, well, oh god, damn it.
Speaker 1: Everything is out, so everything DMX don't.
Speaker 3: Drop every day, drop everything, drop everything.
Speaker 7: So describe us that first day, and then how how do you choose your selection? Because everything is hot, and especially in New York, we don't find I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I already radio. I al't been on radio, okay, just I remember one of my historic moments was playing why Storm the remix with Little Kim and Ted Lover is in the booth? Uh and you know you did? That's how it was. All of these is like that Hed boops on one section, that their stree is another. So I'm going hot, damn hole, here she goes again. Life is it?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 3: And on one side is the dirty, on the other side is the clean. But because my headphones are a certain way, I'm only hearing the clean side. So ed lovers like, yo, what the are you doing? And I'm still bringing it back. I'm like, yeah, I'm nice, right, Yo, I'm a brand new DJ on this radio station and I'm going hot. Damn hole. Here she goes again, you know, bitch whatever that ship, I keep rewinding it back and forth, back and forth. It was a crazy year for me. Pun died, right, that's the piece. It's crazy because you know I learned this from msiss c Right. There's a thing we do, those tribute you know, mixes when somebody passes away. But the crazy part is that. But you guys don't understand, like, these are guys. We went to war with them in the clubs, we went on the road with them. We did a lot of things for them. But my uncle died. I didn't cry. But when Pun died, Yo, I was DJ in the booth and you thought I cried on that video when I was my last day. No, I broke down on my knees, like this is crazy because to me is one of the greatest rappers to ever do it.
Speaker 1: I like I said, greatest rappers ever do it, not greatest Puerto Rican rapper ever.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: Talking to love. I loved it. Warning and you know that was a big deal. Ninety eight was everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I was as one of the best years of my life. Yo. Uh being able to like to like come out with upon DMX.
Speaker 3: Yeah Cameron, Uh.
Speaker 7: Corrupt capa Donna. That was a cannabis cannabis like that ship was like the best year.
Speaker 3: Of my life. Yeah. It was a great year for hip hop, man, you know. And so the chaka let me show the chaka. Yeah yeah, well what was you saying? No? And you know, at that time was the staple. There was the goal to hands down, I mean it d it led it.
Speaker 7: Let like you go in front of Hot ninety seven and see anybody, like anybody would be in front of Hot ninety seven because they knew that that was like the mecca, like and anywhere they moved to the people who caught on.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter like like like that.
Speaker 13: I wasn't on radio back then. I was just looking at like a fan always like all right.
Speaker 4: You know it was Hot ninety seven and the Source magazine. Those were the two things that led hip hop at one point. You know what I'm saying, Like that was what led Yeah.
Speaker 3: And what year you got on Hot seven? I got on one one oh one.
Speaker 13: I started with that little little show I say it put they created no, no, okay, this is called Saturdays. After the midnight run, they created a show which was rest in Peace, case Sleigh Envy, Green Lantern, We'll take it to the streets, take it to the streets myself in threat. I believe that was the five and were rote every Saturday. So I was really on once a month. Okay, the best time ever because I got four hours to do what with the funk?
Speaker 3: I wanted literally on vinyl? What I wanted. I was Camillo. I was in with Camelo.
Speaker 13: No, I was Camelot Hot back then. There was no competition back then.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's a big difference. It's a big difference. Again. Back then that was my boot camp and it was the best time ever. One like for me.
Speaker 13: I would beat my boys up, they would pick up the phones. It was a fucking amazing time. Man, wild times, wild times.
Speaker 3: Facts. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to ask this to you, Camilla right now, New York City. Are you the hottest club DJ.
Speaker 3: Over here?
Speaker 13: Listen, listen, I'm gonna keep it a buck. You know, I've been doing this man long, and am I the hottest? I consider myself the hottest, absolutely, one thousand percent.
Speaker 3: Cam yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, yeah, I could do it all day. You can go to the Grand DJ commdal this all day my rundown. I'm busy or I've been doing this fort tired. Man, I don't get tired. You know, I don't get tired. I love this ship, your wild bro yoh bro.
Speaker 3: I love this ship to Miami. I love to play at Booby Trapping. I loved you know, Miami's changed a lot. Miami has changed a lot, a lot.
Speaker 13: I used to love when Wood, when Wild Wind was like I said, like I said, man has changed a lot. Wind would for a time was on fire, but I could take it back. Man, when we used to do live in open garden and mansion and a bamboo.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: So anyway, when I'm trying to say, I still love this ship, so I don't get tired, No, I still you know, I play every every almost every night of the week, you know, And that's you still love it that way. And and mind you, the music's changed, the culture has changed. But you know I love to play open format too.
Speaker 3: Is that what you is that what's made you keep the love open format? Yeah, I was just playing.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: I tap into the you could play different genres.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, Let me tell you my bad Let me tell you.
Speaker 7: One day, I'm hanging out with Flaws and Frank White, and we followed you for three or four parties.
Speaker 1: You had three or four parties one night something we I got tired.
Speaker 3: When when what he's talking about? Things like that.
Speaker 13: It's an hour set, yeah, but for the most part nowadays, it's no more than two hours. You know, you're going there to body the club man.
Speaker 1: You go, you're being Elizabeth.
Speaker 7: You'll go like somewhere in there like nowhere like and then you'll go like Guttenberg and then like something like.
Speaker 3: We always end up up town because I'm telling oh my god, and you end up in like man And couldn't have happened three.
Speaker 13: In the morning, right, yeah, couldn't happen, of course not Yeah, And it's a blessing serado, yeah, because move right, yeah, you know, and listen, I've seen I started calendar flyers right like I want to, meaning I put a run down with the I'm doing a month. I started that in like twenty two thousand and nine eight, and all the DJ is doing now they follow that lead. You know, I don't want to say, I started it, you know, and I love to see every fucking DJ doing it because like the fun I started eating, like you know, they're all doing it.
Speaker 3: It's love. I don't. I don't share, you know, it's it's I love what I do. Man, I don't get tired.
Speaker 5: And it's clear, you know.
Speaker 3: And listen.
Speaker 13: I love radio too, I still love. On top of that, I'm on the radio every day, prime time. That's a blessing, you know. And this time that we're living in radio like to me, I love I going there, energize every day, want to work.
Speaker 3: You know what. I'm sorry, I got my flowers. Sorry, No, this is yours your flight. That's right, that's right, that's right. I'm the Tony YAlO too, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: One thing we I don't think we highlighted though about enough is the production side of it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, because you did that's right. You got platinum records.
Speaker 4: But you say you did the remix to Get Money, right, which is an iconic remix. Talk about it, my brother jif man that and you did you produced on.
Speaker 3: Bigs you know, by somebody kills you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And you know what you try to chop up to get money, and Big told you not to chop it up.
Speaker 3: You know what, leave it, leave it. You know what, when you travel on the road with an artist, especially like Big Big new as of DJ, not just for him on the road, but on the radio and the mixtapes and stuff. So whenever we got to meet, he was like a crackhead. He'd be like, what you got, what's new? What they got? And then like a student, he wants he wants to listen and break down what they're saying. Like that was his way of knowing if.
Speaker 5: He was still good or if he was hot on staying relevant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was just what you got. I remember I brought him to my crib in Brooklyn to do a mixtape freestyle for me. It was a kid named Freshco the Flower. Freshcot was signed to Tommy Boy Records and nineteen ninety Freshco fright and to put it in perspective, I know why you didn't hear because it was old. In nineteen ninety one, he won the New Music Seminar contest for the best Rapper that year. DJ Miss was the best DJ and they and together they made him a group. So I knew him because he used to live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn for a little while, and that wasn't too far from Flo Push, where I lived. And when I told Biggie I freshcol come into the crib, he was like where like almost like intimidated. And then when I did drops for a Fresh go on on the on the production, He's like, Yo, can I get some drops? Two yea. So it was just funny like this just to see that, you know, early Big and the way he just loved music and we'd ride in the car and he hit music. We listened to do mixtapes like to Get Money remix was off of Uh. The idea came from DJ do Wop. I said this before shut Up than you Do Wop headed a ninety five Live Part two mixtape and Somebody Somebody. If you go back on that mixtape, I forgot Somebody's wrapping on Dennis Edwards. Uh, don't look any further. And then Big was like, Yo, can you loop it up up for me? And then you know, back in those days as a producers, you didn't want to just loot or jack something you want to be He wanted to chop it up and make it special. He was like it was like, we're not chopping it up. I said, what happened? He said, They're gonna charge me the same money no matter what, whether you chop it like this or the fact. So that just take the who ship, all right.
Speaker 15: So I was like like confectionless, like showing up to like showing up to sound checks and like that, like every time you got to doe you go to or take it serious like that, or I.
Speaker 3: Mean I would do that. Yeah, he was, he was, he was already. He was already. He was already big. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, get quick time. We got quick time.
Speaker 1: Camello. We're gonna just have Camello and enough.
Speaker 3: Just Camelos is a drinker. Drink and but you yeah, and all right.
Speaker 4: So the rules, guys, so we're gonna give you this or that question you pick. If you don't pick, you take a shot. You know what, If you don't pick, we take a shot. If you say both we picked, we take a shot. But if you pick, we want a story. Okay, we want a story either way though, actually got you it. Really this is about stories. We're not trying to nobody, h this is just to bring up stories, you know, all right, Clark k Inner, Caseley, rest in peace to both. And this is any criteria. There's no crit this whatever the relationship that you had. And if you say both, it's all good. You just drink and we don't got to drink. You guys got mamajuana with men. Mamajana for you guys.
Speaker 3: You' might have to drink. You know why, I'm gonna tell you why. I don't know if you don't know, but case Slay at one time was homeless, really and case Lay used to clean cars with a squeegee. He was fucked up, like legit homeless and that yeah, he was fucked up the graffiti days, maybe a little bit after that, and he's a legendary graffitio. And now you know his skill set on the graffiti is stupid wild. So if he's Hall, I'm a big up Clark too. But I beg I'm hard because he fought for the streets and no matter how political a got, I had only seven and never changed his trajectory of where he was going with his show and what he believed in. So I salute him for that fact. But Clark Ken, he taught me that you just loving the music is almost everything. Yeah, we could love hip hop, but we could love rock and roll, we could love dance, love house, we could love Spanish music, you know, like we're lovers of music. And he taught me that and it made that safe for me. So that's why you both you're gonna drink. Let's go drink. Cheers, brother, cheers for the legends. That was a hall one already. Damn it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, biggie resting piece.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is mister Lee and hazard is sound like the Colombian and the Dominican.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call the second that's who. That's who it is that that's the.
Speaker 3: Colombia and the Dominican. Let me pour up in case. Uh, I'm along with but Big because that's my guy and I worked for him, and I'll be stoopid not to say his name. Okay, jay Z or Big Daddy came ship. I'm gonna say jay Z for me. Okay, oh yeah, I'm gonna say ho. Can't bro that going around the table. What you're doing?
Speaker 5: Man runs here? Kick Capri.
Speaker 3: Kick Capri for me.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm with the k Capri man, I mean shots the ca Capri.
Speaker 4: Now they're both legends he's an inspiration and shout out to ron g because of course Dell with it too. So you said, Cai Capri, all right, nazarell.
Speaker 3: He gonna asked me. You know, I personally got a drink to that.
Speaker 4: All right, relax, don't don't you're leading the witness. Fuck no, fuck just Naza nas yeah he dah any reason, baby, you don't have to give reason.
Speaker 3: He's a Liverpool master said that's it, all right, Red alert or marm bet alert.
Speaker 4: And you answered pretty fast, man, Caldar drama. Call Jesus your host. Analog or digital, both of y'all.
Speaker 3: That's tough one too, bo Analog. I was like, did you meant to put it? Who wrote an I'm gonna I'm gonna say digital digital?
Speaker 4: Okay, no, I know, but the way you or Amnesia or Mansion Amnesia. That was the name of the club.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, that's what story used to be. Yes, yes, but that's enough the name because I did but I wasn't there for that.
Speaker 5: So which one of those two?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed the Opium Garden Spot? What was that, Anesia? I enjoyed?
Speaker 5: That was the Miami Spots, right, yeah, okay, okay?
Speaker 3: Which is the one that prints on No, that's glam. Slam became mansion. Yea mansion. That was a hot spot, that was place. Was that to change your cality? Used to open up for me in Miami? Yeah, club for sure, you want me want Joe wanted to kill me. I love his DJ talk.
Speaker 13: The first time I ever played in Miami ever ninety eight was at Liquid and cat It open up for me.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget that. And first time ever in ninety and we got shutouts. Who was the king of the clubs in Miami?
Speaker 13: DJ, I see you, that's crazy to me. And then I look I saw Cataly, I said, I look at him like damn.
Speaker 3: This is Yeah, it's beautiful the way it moves. What was the pirate radio station? I was here?
Speaker 4: Well, we had a couple we I had one. I was on ninety four point seven. Oh you think about Mix ninety six, which is where Cali came from.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's another one.
Speaker 4: It was a mixed, nice rad we had so many. It might have been Wow, it might have been that one g oud station. I don't I'm not too sure.
Speaker 3: That you're thinking. Or DJ raw station that was a bus yo all I know around that wasn't it. I mean, I remember being here in ninety ninety seven and this town was dead. There was number old people.
Speaker 5: Hey, come on, man, Yeah, you went to South Beach and it was.
Speaker 3: It was old people reekally and they were and they were catching some tans by the beach all day. They looked orange.
Speaker 1: This person.
Speaker 3: Ship. I remember my early big Uncle Luke stories too. Those are fire too.
Speaker 5: The bigging Uncle Luke ship.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: Talk about it? Well, you know, I want to. I don't know if you were.
Speaker 4: I went to the first show that big did hear in Miami lit a spot called My High Temple Mahi Temple.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you were the DJ probably Oh man, that hurts, Bro. You're drinking. Oh all right, let's drinking here. I'm on to be Q with that one. Brooklyn Queen's enough day. I like that. That's who connects us, Bro Brooklyn and Queens to be Q's fact. Either that or the Jackie Robinson car West one or Rocky rock Him. Yeah, the Caress one is nasty too good. Rock him for me?
Speaker 17: Okay, shouts of both of them. Still man, he said he went to school with you in Kingsboro? Who who did the guy who owns we want?
Speaker 8: I was like.
Speaker 3: Video for you even posted we got oh got.
Speaker 5: Jeddy Riley or for.
Speaker 3: Teddy that's just for me, Teddy Teddy without Teddy's.
Speaker 1: For that's about to say, like you can't it's hard.
Speaker 5: That's the best way.
Speaker 1: Yeahs before in a good way, because there's no Teddy, there's no forar Real Dopper, Tony Touch.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be both yes brothers, brothers together for me, Tony Touch only because I got a better relationship with Touch. Okay, so both of them. I'm gonna have to go with Tony.
Speaker 13: But then those fifty not to fifty yes ninety five live Bro amazing, and then Tony later minute is fifty.
Speaker 4: MC crazy crazy if you know, you know crazy and they's Cruise name again.
Speaker 3: And it was unique you need unique? Yeah, had that voice. Yeah Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's when the mixtape game really ran hip hop. It was like the mixtape game was above radio at that time.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, the.
Speaker 13: Mixtape game got me to Germany in ninety nine because of a mixtape of promoter hired me Bro.
Speaker 3: What part of Germany duel? You know?
Speaker 15: For me?
Speaker 13: It was Munich, Heidelberg, Heidelberg and Munich nowhere if you unless you're going to to.
Speaker 3: Little Dog, I love it? How much you like it? The mixtape for the DJs was the website. So what internet was Internet? Straight out? Yeah, there you go, there you go Now, mixtape game has changed lives. I changed my life on all right, I'm sorry? Was crazy? What was the name of the crazy? Crazy? Crazy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Crazy? It's the shots, Tupac or d m X GMx, how about you? Sorry?
Speaker 13: My answer if you would have asked you this question in two thousand would have been d m X. But after many years of me doing homework because I was when when when when? When it was New York and on the West Coast, I was so change over years. Yeah, because I started to really study Tupac and listen.
Speaker 3: Really and then I was like, whoa, it was a late bloomer.
Speaker 13: Yeah, made you want to study though, just as a little by little started hearing new Tupac songs and I was like, yo, this guy is like he's ill ill and.
Speaker 3: Yes, crazy because he did Yeah, you pay more work to this days was called a cult following.
Speaker 5: That's it, but also PU did that was smart?
Speaker 4: Is he he's such a catalog that it lastens beyond time.
Speaker 3: And that's what happened with us.
Speaker 13: For DJ that you started to do homework and I was like, damn, Tupac is ill. And back then I was just not I'm not seeing that. I was stubborn and young. I'm like queens. You know CNN.
Speaker 3: Channel ten, New York, New York. You know what I'm saying. People don't know what Channel ten is, right, it was the it was a channel.
Speaker 4: Coolgie rapper, slick rickhe oh they all tell stories.
Speaker 3: Yup. Story King's right there, slick Rick for me, Coolie rap for me.
Speaker 5: I didn't.
Speaker 3: You got drink? You got drink?
Speaker 5: You're taking a bloom from mister Lee.
Speaker 3: You know what that means? Right? Is it late? I'm doing it because Champs. I'll take a shot. I promised the white I wouldn't smoke. That's right now. Don't smoke. Please, don't smoke. I even smoking.
Speaker 5: By the way, Kanye, doctor dre.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm ship. I'm gonna go Kanye with that, Doctor Dre. You think this is generational because you're a little younger, was no listen like the dispar the way these questions are put they're both. They're all hard, they're all tough.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: But I want to say, it's just so many songs with Kanye man, it's.
Speaker 13: Like and so many songs that true, true, but more current, like there's so much you need to explain.
Speaker 1: That's not.
Speaker 3: Lawyer, it's just the person ship.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 13: Drake got the timeless, timeless, you could play anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, doctor Drake got the time, this times.
Speaker 16: That's what I said, Drake, Drake, that's what too. Matter of fact, you take a shot. I gotta go another, both of them.
Speaker 5: Reduction wise, all right, Illmatic ready to die, m h.
Speaker 1: I want to see how this goes.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be fantastic. And don't lawyer, you're a lawyer. He's gonna go Illmatic. I'm gonna go to die.
Speaker 5: And this is the way we roll all drink drinking.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna even take a show. Understands warning warning poways.
Speaker 13: You don't know what ill Matic gets. Anybody from Queens.
Speaker 3: Is the Bible.
Speaker 5: It's hip hop, man, I know, but you're talking us queens, queens, queens.
Speaker 3: It's just trust me.
Speaker 18: I know, queens queens. Queens looks like you broke and you're walking I'm from Queens.
Speaker 3: Bro you're walking. Don't say you guys didn't have love? Having is walking In the Spanish version, he had nothing. Next ys ago n W A republic enemy m yeah, the tough ones man. Damn, this is a enough question right here.
Speaker 19: Man, I'm going to say publican bad Okay, Sorry, you're asking me right here?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 13: I was?
Speaker 5: I don't know what's going on? All right, toots, he's a booby Trap.
Speaker 3: I'm asking you. Don't do that. I'm asking you. I don't know booby trap. Now I'm asking you. I dragged him to booby Trap. You guys, I'm booby Trap all day. You're crazy baby. Oh ship Hollywood Kale from Mob not the coach. He's calling right now. They're calling you from booby Trust.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: Let me call you right back. I'll call you right back. Sorry.
Speaker 1: All should have said booby Trap or Club eleven in the Bronx.
Speaker 3: No Club eleven. Yeah, yeah, the Club eleven. Know this, This is the Mega Mega Club eleven. I see much haven't been for me to me. Club eleven is a nightclub. It's just a nightclub. That's what all these nights are.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It's a nightclub with some strip polls around it.
Speaker 1: It's to me, loud shows.
Speaker 3: It's not the track.
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't get another sho questions the.
Speaker 3: Place color is? You know what I'm having show tell show.
Speaker 9: Show what you.
Speaker 1: Show what I'm telling you act to me like it was however it was.
Speaker 3: It was my show. I say. I went with him, but I was like, yo, I just yo. They played this record every time we work. Bro tell me now, they played all our records. They pay my mixtape record. I just make right now. Wow. The girls dancer ass I was amazing brow. It was the only good thing about.
Speaker 9: Ship.
Speaker 5: It's funny, said, go to the next We're dying slowly, okay. Joe and Jada or a million dollars with the game?
Speaker 3: Oh is that again?
Speaker 5: Joe and Jada a million dollars worth the game?
Speaker 3: I'm oh, man, I tell you know what. If I'm a question, I'm gonna say Joe and Jada. I love the way Joe just overdoes it. I love it, you like it? I love it. I know he's getting flagged. They funking with him. You don't woman embracing that. I love this smartest thing he's ever done. And I love how Jada goes who are they? And then he's like they like, you know, like he just asks him that red Man is the most underground artist, and I love how Jada responds, I love that ship. That's dope. Joe and Jada got his own smash. I don't go, Jada, Okay, do you make some noise for Johan Jadas.
Speaker 4: But makes the man's all the worth of everybody? Yeah, all right, Clips are E p m D. This is very generational, not really kind of the Clips.
Speaker 3: Clips or E p m D. He stands two different worlds. Man, it is, it is, but not really, it's kind of. I can see the comparison. I get they made this. I get it. I mean, I get it. It's just from I gotta go with E p M. I like it, even though Clips is from my r. I guess, I guess I'm gonna have to go with p D because they got some classics that you know, mm hmm it's my thing. But the Clips are making their own classes right now. But yeah, this guy puts the butt.
Speaker 4: See the comparison, like, actually, I never liked their their but I like this comparison.
Speaker 3: It is a good it's good. It's a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely going all right, fat Joe Rick Cross.
Speaker 3: Oh ow ouch, y'all gonna drink. I like these dudes cheers, cheers.
Speaker 4: So you said both not neither right, just to that's why we drink. You can say we could drink on either.
Speaker 13: Of those.
Speaker 1: A Rockefeller.
Speaker 3: Ay yea yay le fuck that's a hard one. We got X dragon llow X. You know that versus with the locks.
Speaker 13: And dip set walk. A lot of motherfuckers up how much the locks had?
Speaker 1: No for sure?
Speaker 3: That shoot in that must have been classic. Yeah, you didn't know. You didn't be that crazy. You would think this said I.
Speaker 4: Was.
Speaker 3: Wanda was like, yo, you didn't feel that No, no, no, no, listen, okay, I don't ye don't you don't got.
Speaker 4: Grammy, but didn't feel that way in the building that it was a landslide in that way everybody in the.
Speaker 3: Building didn't didn't expect that that much. That's what I'm trying to get at. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 5: That's that day was going to bring more yes, everybody, Yes.
Speaker 13: And then that day way, that day you learned that way, honestly, that day you learned what the fuck the locks.
Speaker 3: Had you learned that they won't whoa whoa blocks.
Speaker 15: It looked like they actually were practiced for that joint with that DJ technicians.
Speaker 20: It was technician. Honestly, the DJ was DJ was instrumental. He was switching like he was shot. The technician technician brought it bro like. Not to take away from dipsd DJ. It's just no, no, like they really went. The DJ was instrumental.
Speaker 1: I think Dips that had three different DJs. I think Santana had the DJ. I think that would have been like that would have been difficults had one DJ.
Speaker 13: It looked like they really really But that day you learned the catalog, you you're like, oh ship, you folks, remember that you forgot that ship?
Speaker 3: You all Grammys? You want to talk Grammys. You want to talk songs to girl else.
Speaker 13: Anyway, back to rock Rockefeller and and and.
Speaker 3: Rough rough Riders. So whould you pick. I'm gonna see a Rockefeller.
Speaker 1: What we were talking about, rock Man, this is the last one that we get back to the end. He said, what Rockefeller took loyalty or respect?
Speaker 3: I've heard this before. I'm gonna go with loyalty. I'm gonna respect. Why because you can claim you loyal, but if you don't want to respect for me, and why not both? I want both, but I'm not drinking on the show.
Speaker 1: That's the only time I say we should drink is So why would you say both?
Speaker 4: I think both is always it should be the natural answer. But some people have a strong opinion on one or the other.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a perfect example, and I'm gonna keep it a buck on the show. I don't give the fuck. There's a couple of DJs in my crew who switched sides right, who left for whatever reason because maybe I helped them, maybe I didn't help them. So in my mind, I would think, you know, I want them to be loyal, and if they leave it, they're not respect to me. So do you think that's an example of both being wrong? I mean definitely, man, because at the end of the days, like they didn't respect them, they didn't respect me. They would have moved stupid and that was not loyal, right. Wow, I was deeper warning and that's why I could see the misconscrew's opinions about when Little Lars lost his job and I took it, or when come Alo took my job. Supposedly because it's it's it's perception. It's people's perceptions that's supposed to the truth. Yeah, right, Perception is never reality.
Speaker 7: No, Like perception is like now like like they're saying like that, they like kind of like like like when he when he, I guess that's what he was trying to say by saying snake won a snake too, was like like like, yo, bro, wasn't.
Speaker 20: Me Like.
Speaker 3: Right, that's that's his perception, snake won snake too. Do you think that was his honest perception of that though?
Speaker 13: I think the narrative straight up making it his story because that wasn't the fucking facts.
Speaker 3: That's it that was and then he changed it to his narrative. Prior to that's cool, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 13: Prior to that cool with everybody, man, I'm cool everybody, Like if you got to see each other.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 13: Now it's what it is. I ain't got time for this. I'm going I got two kids and a dog companies to run and to get to.
Speaker 3: Right facts I have so foutely.
Speaker 7: Well, I know our accessed earlier in a different way, but were you shocked, like because of your relationship prior to that that he would say something like that about you publicly.
Speaker 3: I wasn't shocked because at that point.
Speaker 7: And you're still on the station, it's like you're still there like at some point, And was it obviously it.
Speaker 13: Was you, I don't know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yah yeah yeah yeah, his hands down, you know?
Speaker 3: Was it we just ignorant that.
Speaker 7: He said the people in your room and the people in his room other than people that was working there were Camello and Juiceky, So it was obviously.
Speaker 3: It was do you knowbody to do the math? It's only let's say so. Yeah.
Speaker 13: And I wasn't shocked because looking at the history, the way this guy moves, he has beat with the whole world like, so I wasn't the following it's our turn the fuck?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know what I'm saying. So I wasn't shot.
Speaker 4: Can we leave this whole world? So I want to leave this fucking bullshit?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, I just listen. This is as me and being a New Yorker.
Speaker 7: At some point that either one of y'all things that you could just pick up the phone and like talk, or do you think it's beyond that point?
Speaker 3: Like I said before, I'm not an asshole. I know, I know, I'm a better guy. Maybe we'll talk, but not right now. Mm hmm. But the dust settle. It's still dusty out here, right Okay, Now I'm gonna switch it up.
Speaker 7: But the man o the question if power went over, I've caught you right now, another question and say you know I got them after the news open for you, buddy.
Speaker 3: At the pilet. I don't know, man, Yo know, as long as my man is happy, I really don't know. It's all about It's all about that at this point, I've learned my lesson, and I don't know if I could give about so much time to another. It's just another station. So I think I'd rather give more time to the heavy hitters. I'd rather give more time to your man, and then the things that are gonna benefit me directly. I would love to see Andrew Martinez again, but I don't know if that's the best thing for me. We might be way past that time already.
Speaker 13: The thing is, the thing is the DJ to You also got to be happy with the fuck you're doing. You know, you gotta be happy playing the music you love. Listen, you asked me, yo, you don't get tired of this dude, night club ship.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I love this ship. Let's go.
Speaker 13: What if somebody finds out, well, were in town and Miami and they call me, Yeah, let's go nobody rock. You got what you do as a DJ. You know, DJ plays the heart out the best when they playing their music. They fucking love right.
Speaker 5: That's that's the.
Speaker 3: Point though, that's that they love that, they love rights, you know.
Speaker 13: So if he says, yeah, I want to do this and do it with your heart, that's how you win.
Speaker 3: You got this far because we did it with our hearts. As facts. I like what you just said. I like that we did it with a heart. I'm running with it. A lot of a lot of ship.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: This is business, Yeah, no doubt. You have to play the role. You have to play the fucking radio role.
Speaker 13: Cool, and you have to give them okay, fifty fifty enough seven.
Speaker 3: And that's why it works because you're you're still yourself. The minue you.
Speaker 13: Start being forced to be something you're not. That's that's the beginning of the end right there. No, you're losing, that's it, that's it. This is this is why we've been rocking so long. And we're still here.
Speaker 7: So I'm gonna ask you, Camilla, you're still there. You rock you Sorry, you're rocking. The bosses see you hearing you go to the clubs and then they say, man, do you want fun flex spot spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You taking let me the real snake.
Speaker 13: If the bosses call me and say do you want to funk flex spot, I ain't to say that.
Speaker 3: The question is. The question is.
Speaker 13: The question is if the bosses call me right and and say if I want homeboy spot? I mean homeboy spot at the Cramon is what I used to do anyway, m five o'clock, so, yeah, it's prime time. I've been doing prime time for the four to six for the past ten years. But but he got so now he got five to eleven, right eleven?
Speaker 1: He used to have seven to ten, right right, So no seven to midnight seven mins?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, correct, all right? So I mean listen, man, I don't know what's going on. I don't know.
Speaker 13: I'm still happy when Matt don't get it fucked up. I'm still about four o'clock. I'm a happy man. I'm happy working When us has worked out very well, I salute her. She's professional. Facts you know, and she she worked.
Speaker 1: Like I got telling people four to five every day, five.
Speaker 13: Every day commercial free, not one commercial home on for.
Speaker 1: Hour two three ninety seven ninety seven.
Speaker 3: That's it that you already know.
Speaker 13: You know the knowe salute the girl because she works hard and we were good combo. And I'm happy. I've been happy and I was never discruntled. To this day, I'm not to scruntled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are right, bro.
Speaker 7: If you could change anything in this process, what would you change? I know you said you would leave what process? Like the process of you know, yeah, yeah everything like you say one thing earlier, you say you should you feel like you should have left out any seven earlier. But name something else that if you if you could change like yourself, like like, what would you change?
Speaker 3: Sometimes and this is real talk and hurts, but sometimes you give so much that you spread yourself thin by giving so much. And sometimes when you give so much, you take away from yourself. So sometimes maybe I gave away too much, you know what I mean? No anybody, my friends, my family, my boys, my heavy it is whoever. Sometimes you give so much because you love and you want to see people win. But then sometimes because you do that you're giving away some of yourself, away from yourself, from yourself. And I think that's what Flex doesn't like about me. He felt that's where maybe he feels like I've given up because I'm giving to them so much, because I'm giving to this guy so much, so easily, like it's nothing where like they want to fight for their position. And what's that mentality? The king of the hill and you talk to come up to hill to get kicked me talk. They want that. So that's the only thing, maybe a little bit they got over gage.
Speaker 5: Nah, bro, you can't say that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: If you over gave it, that's a positive.
Speaker 3: Think it's a positive thing.
Speaker 5: That's that's that positive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's positive. Listen, not everybody.
Speaker 4: Look, let me say something. I know that he doesn't. He doesn't remember this. But you were the first DJ to well the only DJ in New York to ever play a record that I put out. It was called The Alliance Spanish Fly. Shout out to Ebony Underwood. That connected us. She connected this and you played one of our records.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: And let me tell you that I believe that whatever you're doing, you do it from the heart.
Speaker 3: This is true. And and you're you're inspiring people when you do it.
Speaker 4: Maybe what you you play one record, it doesn't mean nothing in that one record played, but it means it reverberates right and in them feeling positive and like fire, like yo, holy shit, enough, play my record.
Speaker 3: Another thing that Enough.
Speaker 13: He said, He gave so much. I could sit here with a list Laura Styles, Bugs cast one pro Style. He all gave him a chance. You look at all of them. They're all on radio to this day because of this man, Camillo, because of this man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying the other day.
Speaker 13: The other day, Calle System, beautiful ship, he said. Enough was the first one to play what's the record taking over?
Speaker 4: On hot He was the first let's highlight Calid big dog pitbull, right, just highlight that, just to make sure that it's understood right.
Speaker 13: And he was the first one to touch it and keep touching it and playing it. And then the beautiful thing that Cali said is unity. It's so important. He goes, all I want after all of this is us to be in my backyard arbicueing the guys that I.
Speaker 3: Came up with.
Speaker 13: You know, it's like motherfuckers, forget them, Like it's not there's nothing wrong with having unity, there's nothing wrong with holding each other down. This guy opened so many doors for so many people to this day. I mean, the list goes on. I got a long list, but it's.
Speaker 3: Like, enough, learn from BETTERRB, Bro, that's it enough.
Speaker 5: You know that there is a class act.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: Of course he's a class act.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 3: Enough was the first one to see Phelly fell in l A. Yeah, Felly feels a fucking legend, man, legend, you know Parish in Chicago. You know, I saw, I learned from him.
Speaker 13: I saw who was who I put Mister Mario said, Yo, we gotta put mister Maritil down.
Speaker 3: Remember that the moon of Us legend, legend in Miami. You know what I'm saying. And I learned from him how she works.
Speaker 13: Entire I mean, yeah, exactly, we're putting that fast forward, putting Tis down the feez. You know what I'm saying. Listen, it all comes from that energy, and that energy reciprocates. So you know, a lot of motherfuckers wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for giving so much. And it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 20: Man.
Speaker 3: Now, let's talk, Let's talk, Let's talk. Reggae throne, right, I saw your fault.
Speaker 1: You know, I would like to think so, but I remember it felt like it was like us against the world, right, Like I would go to Puerto Rico, I would hear these records. I would come back home, people would like laugh at me.
Speaker 7: I'm like, yo, play that the Spanish the Spanish reggae ship, because I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know what it was called. I don't know if that's what it really was.
Speaker 7: It was like, Yo, the Spanish reggae ship, being Room buys test smooth, play that ship.
Speaker 3: When I go.
Speaker 7: And I remember me actually like actually trying a record, like I was like Yo, I was telling other DJs and they just play the ship. And so I don't know if you remember, if you listen Tom Kando, I shot both of y'all out.
Speaker 3: I came to the video using the video.
Speaker 13: I keep shot the lex because you're doing their grandpaon so I said, Yo, they should.
Speaker 3: But but but but how did that feel like?
Speaker 7: Because like like right now, I'm going I'm going to port a weeko tomorrow, right, so obviously I have to stop a Bad Money concert.
Speaker 1: But it's my birthday on Saturday. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're so ha, you know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm meaning. I'm there already.
Speaker 7: So but what I'm saying is we think about it, like I don't want to say it. Start up saying in America because everyone knew, Like I remember when they gonna have that joint, everyone thought he was Dominican.
Speaker 1: Order Dominicans. So and I remember like.
Speaker 7: And me trying this record, and I tried it just for the Porto Ricae parade.
Speaker 1: And that ship went from spins, the spins and spins. But how did it feel like to see like a new genre of music, like it filter end.
Speaker 7: And at first the station was like no, and then they got behind a gando for the first time and that ship was like the number one, Like how.
Speaker 1: Did it feel? I mean not, I don't want to limit it to Kanda, but in general.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, in general, like them embracing They're like, now listen, listen to how it's like every fifth record is a fucking.
Speaker 3: Fucking uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All I know is this, and I didn't realize it's like good. I think there's that internal racism ship still going on around in the world where like the light skin blacks the dog skin blacks. That same racism, and that perception still lives within the Spanish culture. Uncle, fuck your Jamaican as a colonial. That that ship, that's what it is. When Bad Bunny's first few records started to get played on Hot ninety seven, we were playing them ships way more than our mega. Yeah, my man, it's a Spanish station, the biggest in the city, and you're not playing Bath Bunny. And then Hot ninety seven is with a hip hop station, is playing Bad Bunny more than y'all, Like, what does that mean? Yeah, yeah, that makes no sense to me. It's almost like.
Speaker 1: In the very beginning of let's take a shot for the radio for y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when the black programmers didn't program hip hop, all right, you had a way. So the white boys came over on Hot ninety seven and gave it the green light. And then the black guys are mad calling us the plantation station. Wow, But the Plantation Station was the one that fucking made it legendary for the whole entire world.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's yo. Sometimes there's that internal racism ship. It's that little thing in your ear, like when your grandmother tells me, my grandmother says why are you playing this music? Why a you not playing Southside? Why you're not playing Mega Marane game? Like, yeah, but I grew up wanting to hear Boom Bab hip hop, electronic hip hop, Africa Bambarda, you know, the Zulu beats and all. That ship was game changing for me as an artist, I mean as a DJ. When you actually artist is correct, when you actually yeah, I know, I forget that. But when you ask me about Public Enemy and who's my favorite group, this is the appreciation level. And I explained this a few times. But I would be my house at two in the morning, sneaking out to the living room to put on some headphones that my dad had and put the radio on so I could hear Public Enemy on the radia. And when I heard them, they scared this ship out of me because I didn't understand what I didn't know before that, but I didn't understand what political rap was. So when they were talking that ship, I was like, Yo, this ship is crazy. And then Nwa was ill too. They're the same thing. I always on different spectrum they are. Yeah. When Nwa was fucking it was eighty nine eighty eight, Yo, bro, every fucking car in the hood was playing wa. It wasn't a West Coast East Coat thing. It was a fucking hot thing with that race.
Speaker 13: Me for the Okano like that era. It was a no brainer, like from New York. You know thones already popping, you jump on it big made from Queen Johns. It was a no brainer and it was just for me.
Speaker 3: It was just no question. You know. I got punished for that. Were you early on as a hip hop dred percent?
Speaker 13: What you mean? I got punished for that because it was not on the playlist. I used to push it a lot, and they're like, yo, why are you'll playing that so much?
Speaker 3: When is when's this? This is just a fat well. They used to make fun of him, used to call me mister pill because I used to play him so much. But Yo, this guy's on fucking fire. How can you not? You know yo, they used to do that fat This is gonna end? When is this over?
Speaker 1: That's why?
Speaker 7: That's why, Like, although I have nothing to do with the bad Buddy guys at all, Like I'm claiming.
Speaker 1: It like me, I claim it, Like yo, listen, did you claiming you sure?
Speaker 3: Claim Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like look all of it see yes on this side, on this on the American sign.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but if it wasn't for that, if it wasn't that, you don't know how ventually took off.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it would it took off anyway.
Speaker 3: But but you versated the scene thrown.
Speaker 7: Regond Ever added seven, it's me first time if performing the Source award is me, first time is added to MTV, Me first time, added to BT, this first time KTU.
Speaker 13: You know you go, but you know, something like that is new, it's going to be tested and hated. Hip hop got hated, right, I got hated, and I got hated because it was new to a lot of people. Yeah, they didn't understand, they didn't get it. Fast forward to twenty twenty five. This everybody, Yeah, that's got better. Let's be honest, let's it got better from evolved.
Speaker 3: Because I don't know what you got to use because the beat. I was like, wait wait, because the beat change, you got more progression change and changing the guy. It sounds like jugging hoping.
Speaker 18: I was not feeling.
Speaker 3: Originally a lot of people weren't because it's the same beat no no no for latinos, latinos and hip hop.
Speaker 5: I thought it was taking us back right.
Speaker 3: That's the way a lot better were. They needed it, needed evolution, man, need that's what happened. I hate bother.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Well you you took off the bucket hand and the timings and the and the and the camouflage, and you got like a sun palm tree. You. Yeah, changed up the best time. Got sandals and shorts on. Now come.
Speaker 13: I'll never forget mister C coming up to me saying, you know, I need that song, man, that song I was playing one time the Copa cabana and and he came fifty seventh or thirty four thirty, and he came and he saw that reaction.
Speaker 3: Your boy boy boy. Yeah, he saw that fucking crowd. The next day on Friday, I need that freck that record you played. Oh you just saying it out and I was like, I gotcha, yo. And that's one thing mister C just said. Always used to Ben he was on it. I need this, I need that, I need that. Is this fucking is this notrec shit? I throw this away like he was on it.
Speaker 13: But you know, it's a beautiful thing about the DJ, like somebody that loves what they do.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. That's why he was a legend. That mister c was a very very powerful and les DJ and unique. A lot of people were scared to play after him. I hate the play after him and be like, yeah, fuck, I gotta work hard now. But he was a tough motherfucker boy.
Speaker 1: Is it true?
Speaker 7: If you if you, if you like, if you're the headliner, you could tell the opener not to play a certain record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could, you could do that, but why it's etiquette because you want to save the headline. It needs to shine.
Speaker 13: You'll get pissed if the if the not only that, you also have to think about the party itself.
Speaker 3: When you're rocking a place.
Speaker 13: You want this ship to last for four hours and you don't want you want to build the ship up to be exciting, you know what I'm saying. So you're not playing a hot fucking record at midnight because it's supposed to turn up at two in the morning.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. That that's that's just the old school nowadays, this ship is oh yeah, place.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 13: But respectfully, if there's a headliner, you don't you let him do what he does best and you play the low.
Speaker 21: It's not of the flow and you have to. And then the other thing is is business too. You have to keep those motherfuckers there all night spending money. If you hit turn up too early, get to to DJ right, DJ etiquette. Man, Let's see.
Speaker 1: I remember you used to call yourself the International Club.
Speaker 3: Yo. I gave him that name. I don't know, I don't know I gave that name.
Speaker 7: No, but I'm gonna be honest. I've been to a lot of your parties and it is international.
Speaker 13: Like I said before, I like to play a little bit of everything, which is the beautiful party. Like when you get there's some nice that you just play. Have to play ratchet hip hower, but there's some other nice. Those best parties is when you could tap into a little bit of everything. Gave them a little reggae, fucking house, hip hop, old school ship then both.
Speaker 1: I just know girl.
Speaker 3: The house, No, no, no, When I say house, I'm talking about the thing called affle house right now, afro house crazy, yeah, affle House.
Speaker 1: I just played hooking the house music.
Speaker 3: Only take those braids out right now, put a little afro on, get your affrole house.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take a shot to that. Hold on, this is empty, A shot of.
Speaker 3: That look like this ship is getting me nice. We gotta cut this interview off soon, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah enough man, listen, one main percent. You have everything to do with my career, which means you got everything to do with what we were built right here. You've been trying to get you here to give you your flowers a long time ago. I don't want you to feel like that. We like, you know, we tapped in and went so hard. It's because of what happened. You've been deserve your flowers. You've been deserved this love. You've been deserved.
Speaker 3: No, you've been trying to get me since twenty eighteen. That's what I remember.
Speaker 1: You've been.
Speaker 7: You know, you know, to hear these stories and here like you know, you put in you know, your people in front of you, it's inspiring. It's something that I do a lot, but it's something like this. It's more inspiring to hear it. You know, come from a DJ perspective like you know, even my DJ that's been my DJ for twenty years and he said, only two times I've been on Hot ninety seven is when the now thank you for that and when DJ enough.
Speaker 13: That's a prime I'm trying to put you off. But that's a prime example.
Speaker 3: Seven two times. And I don't know, remember because you do so much for everybody, your guys, you thank you have me hit it right here one. But that's a prime example that much. That's how it starts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because so I just want to say that you know what I'm saying right minding me of what I'm doing and what I'm doing on my side life. You know what I'm saying, And it's like, you know what, sometimes it's like that.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you got to put something before you, you know what I'm saying, in order for you to move forward. And you know, it was crazy because we're sitting around and I'm like, there's no better, guess man.
Speaker 3: We need we need, we need enough out here. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We need to give your flowers because one is long overdue. Two we want to know your side of the story. We didn't want to just base it on a side interview with you know, TMZ.
Speaker 7: And then you know you got this side and this side, and you know I basically messed with all sides.
Speaker 3: You know, I ain't mat at anybody, and I know that we don't want no beef or nothing. I know, this is no beef. We just want to continue the love the way we the way. This is a safe zone. I know this, So that's what.
Speaker 7: But but it's more about giving you your flowers more than it's about investigating your situation.
Speaker 1: That situation. You know, we get it. We understand that anybody could google it and see that.
Speaker 3: But that's not it.
Speaker 7: What is it is You've gave hip hop so much personally. You gave me so much, you gave Joe so much, you gave college so much. That's why it was easy for when they said, you know, in thirty seconds, you know we're gonna put together something for you enough and everyone came out to you. So I want to salute you face to face, man, the man you know, eye to eye, and let you know that what you've done for me personally, you know, I know I've been I know there's been times I've been yo.
Speaker 3: You know land Like yo, I just landed, man? Please? Like what do you do it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: We hit the you and you shut the fuck up?
Speaker 1: Go on and you'll play my records like all the time.
Speaker 7: And I know if I'm doing it, I know how much other people is is and how much you contributed to hip hop, Like even Flex. I heard Flex say man enough, it was like the first person I seen you two or three parties in.
Speaker 3: The same night. Eli. Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying. I'm just saying, like and now that's the tradition.
Speaker 7: So we us at drink Chat really wanted to give your flowers and tell you how much you mean, tell you how.
Speaker 3: And for what you did.
Speaker 1: We are excited to see your next endeavor to where you're going from here. We know it's over.
Speaker 7: We know this is the next step on the next level of greatness, and we can't we can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna take a couple of pictures and uh, we got it, got it, Okay, hold on, hold on, hold on giving people flowers.
Speaker 3: Right now? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. YouTube.
Speaker 7: And you know we're proud of YouTube, man, because as a queen's kid like like, man, you've got a sneaker store, telling.
Speaker 13: Them I got a sneaker store all the right, I almost touch a big loose shout to George. You know I also have a rest restaurants and queens one in Brooklyn, when Williamsburg one coming down the block in Winwood, opening up like now, heads up, yes, Rex.
Speaker 3: Shout to Anthony.
Speaker 13: And then I also have two other restaurants called Mojo and Foster, those Queens and Long Island and a and a piece of shot called Slice that I'm down with, ye you know. And everybody asked me, yo, how do you do?
Speaker 3: Listen, I don't cook. I don't cook. I'm not you know, I'm not. I'm part owner. You have last Yeah, I would never be able to run a place to do it.
Speaker 13: No, it's my owners that really got to get the flowers for that because they do the day to day and I'm just down with it. And I'm a partner, that's you know, and and and you know this, it's like, you know, I'm trying to trying to move out here and for my kids and that's it besides d Jane, which.
Speaker 5: Are the kids, bro, that's it?
Speaker 3: Which you know d Jane still in my hawk, like that's the number one priority. H Yo.
Speaker 11: This is crazy, Yo, well deserved, guys, brothers both deserve, bro Man, shout out to what the flowers.
Speaker 3: Who makes them? Shout out to them ladies and do it with the fly flowers.
Speaker 7: That's right, that's right. So before we get about here. You know, I'm gonna leave it to you. Is there anything you have to say to your fans, to the people, to anybody.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly for an amazing run on the radio. But I know, I know you guys said blood work, blood, bloodshed and tears. But I have so much fun. It didn't even seem that. It didn't even seem like I was going to work. And I think the most important thing is I was ever to spread the love and give people like you a shot. If people like you a shot, if people like you are shot, give people like you are shat. That means a lot to me. And the fact that I can do it every continue, continue, That's that's the gist of it, you know. And now I want my son to carry the torch and it away, so I'm you know, I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: Ain't your son manager Ice Spice, No, my son's.
Speaker 3: Producer for Ice Spice and a few other artists. He got the right us. Just did Chris Brown's latest single number which wouldn't want one number one already?
Speaker 22: Und Wow, my little guy on fire, He's on fire. You see how that works for making these plans.
Speaker 5: That's carma, bro.
Speaker 3: Great ship. That's it's supposed to happen.
Speaker 17: It's in the blood, in the blood, shut out, Big Spanish, Big Spanish.
Speaker 3: As shouts to fan Mas School because you gave me my name, Big Span, Big Spanish. Nice all r let's take COVID.
Speaker 4: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e FN.
Speaker 3: Listen to Drink Champs on.
Speaker 4: Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs hosted by Yours truly, dj e f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials that's at drink Champs across all platforms, at the Real norriey on, I g at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on I g at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink champs dot com.
Speaker 13: M HM