Speaker 1: I Am all in Again. Oh let's just you.
Speaker 2: Hi am all in Again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions, iHeartRadio, I Heeart Media, I Heart Podcasts, Season one, Episode five, Cinnamon's Wake. Air date November two, two thousand. I am joined by part of the Intrepid Crew, the one and only Susanne French, who has her own feature on I Am All In Again and is having a great time with Terrist Sude. Suzanne. Hello, tell us a little bit about that. How's it going? How are you enjoying it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hey, Scott, it's good to see you again. I haven't seen you in forever since we're not.
Speaker 1: Yes, I miss the old Crow.
Speaker 4: But the town meeting is going great. Tara and I are having a good time just having a conversation about some of the deeper details of the episode. We don't have to really dig into the plot that much, so we can look at all the other action that's going on. So it's going great. We're having a good time, all right.
Speaker 1: Good, Well, the fans seem to be enjoying it, and that's a plus anyway. So you want to go ahead and read the synopsis and we'll get into it.
Speaker 4: Sure, so you already covered. This is season one, episode five, Cinnamon's Weak. It aired November two, two thousand. Rory has an awkward run in with Dean on the bus, leaving her flustered. Plus, Rory's English teacher boldly asks Lorlai out, catching her off guard, and Stars Hollow gathers for an unexpectedly heartfelt funeral for Babette's beloved cats.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, Michael Cadaman directed. Dan Palatino wrote it. You know, we're waiting. Greg Henry is supposed to be a guest host today, but he's having Internet issues, So we're gonna go ahead and plunge forward here. Hopefully he can join us at some point. So let's start with the Friday night dinner and the Nazi joke. Emily socialized with a Nazi joke.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This show, this show, episode five, Suzanne. It seems to be you know, finding its legs right, finding its sea legs a little bit here, and it's so charming to watch because we know, now that I've seen it once and you've seen it a million times, we now know what it became right, I mean it really did mature as the seasons went on, but still, these first five episodes are so charming. Yeah, they are so innocent and they are so sweet, and it really and the one thing that really jumped out at me overall, and then we'll get into some of these details, is how the Palladinos love to set up this normal, little bit oddball world that is so safe and wonderful and charming and adorable.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like a warm hug, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: But they push the envelope on the ethical side, the Maxi Medina Lorelei Rory. Right. So that's so they make it a little uncomfortable with Miss Patty, they make it a little bit uncomfortable with the sexual innuendo and that kind of a thing, not the normal thing, you know, that kind of thing. And in other areas like Luke too, he's a little too angry at Sukie And it's like this is but it gives this fantasy town a sense of of realness that it's real, do you think but interesting?
Speaker 4: It definitely. It's it's like a warm, kind of comforting setting, but it has an edge. So yeah, so it like like you're saying, it kind of like takes you to a to a different place. Yeah, so it's you know, it's it's just good writing. It's always But.
Speaker 1: Isn't it Isn't it wonderful seeing uh the you know, one of the first couple of Friday Night Dinners and how the tension is between mother and daughter and and then poor Rory has to to witness this and be exposed to this, and then you know, ends up on Emily's side because you know, Emily's smart, and she's quick, and she's clever, and she got Laurel. I right, she got, she got she shut her out exactly, she used she used uh, Laurel's own tactics against her and ended up shutting her down a Friday night dinner. But now we're seeing the beginnings of this. Uh you know this, this this classic Friday Night Dinners and you could you can make an entire spin off show about and just call it Friday Night Dinner Dinner with Emily and Richard. Right, but they discussed there he is. Greg Henry is joining us ladies and gentlemen, round of applause for the one and only Greg Henry. Hi, Greg, thanks.
Speaker 2: For yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Susan Suzanna French is joining us here and we're getting into the first scenes. So did you did you get a chance to watch the episode? Greg? Oh yeah, absolutely, tell us your tell us your initial thoughts at these uh episode five Cinnamon's Wake. You know this, uh, this new kind of sensational warm show getting its sea legs, and here we are at the beginnings of this. You know, it's it hasn't quite matured yet as a show, but you can see the DNA is quite quite good.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, spectacular. I mean it's just uh.
Speaker 3: An entirely complete world and it has this wonderful, funny vision that everybody is in the same everybody's in the same show.
Speaker 2: You know, which sometimes that's hard to do in shows.
Speaker 3: And it's like, uh, it's it's so wonderful and everybody's just so so good in their parts. I just laughed out loud, spit take laughed a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always those zingers and very moving. I thought too that, I mean, how do you how do you shed a tear in the morning? And Halifax Nova Scotia over a dead cat, but they managed.
Speaker 2: I was hearing you are somewhere, You're in Halifax.
Speaker 1: I'm in Halifax, and I'm sitting up here, like, you know, is that a tear forming in the in the right eye and touching?
Speaker 2: It's very touching.
Speaker 1: Uh it's because you know, because for me, it's it's Sally Struthers, right, it's it's a situation, but it's Sally Struthers lends it such credibility, and it's it's just she's such a Yes, she's such she wears her heart on her sleeve. She's so funny. She throws a line away like we got copons, you know, it's like that's why they had the clams and else pancake. It's just she's just such a master. Anyway, so we're doing the Friday night dinner scene and we know what these Friday night dinners turned into. They turned into these epic affairs that all the fans look forward to. And Susan helped me out. Are they every single episode? Do we see a Friday night dinner every single episode? Or they skip some? I think there's.
Speaker 4: There's some episodes where the timeframe we actually get to Friday night dinners, but there are some that we don't get one at all. I think I think probably most episodes have one but not every single one.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and again pushing the envelope with using a Nazi joke to socialize at the at the at the Friday night dinner. Again, we were talking about putting how the show pushes the envelope ethically and taste wise, but just a little bit not not It doesn't stretch it too far. It always kind of defaults back to this warm, odd ball place filled with these wonderful people who It's like, I'm watching a show right now, and Greg, I don't know about you, but I'm not the demo for this show. I was on it, but I'm not. I'm not watching this show. And it's like I'm watching the show right now. That's it's pretty wonderful vibe. It's created because the entire town showed up at the wake for a dead cat. Who wouldn't want to live in a town like that, right, I mean after you get to be a certain age, right.
Speaker 3: She says, our town is so weird, and she says, thank God, right.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, So now we're now we're at the Lorelei's house and she's a little cranky and she's supposed to be baking for the Chilton Bake sale, Lane is busting down.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: In the Gilmore Girls living room before school the time Bomb by Ransid, we see that iconic shot that they use in the credit sequence with Lrori's bedroom door opening and Lane rocking out. We see I Bet and Maury walking Cinema's an ill. Uh. What do you say? Dyspeptic? Cinnamon was dyspeptic? Isn't walking very well? Had some clams at Al's pancake where all everybody's not feeling good. And then Rory waits for the bus and Dean spots are uh and and then sits on the bus behind it. What did you think of that? Guys? You know, Dean was coming off like such the mysterious cool guy right up to this point and then he just sort of like jumps on the bus and what do you I think he was a little was she a little annoyed or was she playing it like she was she just sort of froze up because she likes the guy.
Speaker 4: She seemed a little disturbed by it. Yeah, she did, right, But I thought it was cute, Like I didn't think it was creepy or anything like that. I mean, you know, he got on and said hi, and then he got off the next stop. I didn't. I didn't have a problem with it, but she seemed a little like, what are you doing? Like startled by it?
Speaker 1: Right right? And at this point we know that this is this is a show that is establishing these generations. It's Emily, it's it's Laurel I, it's Rory. This is where these we're going to inhabit these worlds, and they're you know, Laurel I is going to inhabit every world in the show. Rory's going to inhabit a lot of the worlds. Emily is going to stay in her own world, and when she comes into stars Hollow, that's you know, that's like another planet for her. But we're establishing now what this whole journey is about, and it's about, you know, at this point, girls meeting boys and being asked out and Greg, I remember the first time around, first go round, when we three years ago, when we broke down this episode, I had a big problem with Max Medina and I had a big problem with Laura Lei actually agreeing to date him. What are your initial thoughts about that whole narrative.
Speaker 2: Well, your thoughts might have been colored by the we've been playing the competition, you know, but.
Speaker 3: What it is it is an interesting dilemma, you know in terms of a teacher and and and a student and uh and.
Speaker 2: Then the parents of that student. That's that is interesting.
Speaker 3: And I thought that they I thought that they played it really nicely in terms of they they they dragged it out and they they made her.
Speaker 2: Meeting of it very official. But then.
Speaker 3: The discovery during the during during Cinnamon's weight that then triggers actually being truthful about it and upfront about it or or not withholding as she said, not withholding information.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I thought it was I thought it was good because it pointed out that those kind of things are like they're they're difficult to have, but they there must be had those conversations and that uh.
Speaker 2: And that these this is this is a very loving and.
Speaker 3: Smart uh mother daughter and and I thought it played well.
Speaker 1: I I like mm hmm second time around. Uh yeah, I like Max I I you know, I feel him. How can you blame him? Right? I mean, you've got a woman like that and he's just gaga for her. Just wow, she's beautiful, she's smart, she's funny, she's her own person. There's a real strength coming out of her. At the same time, there's this irresistible vulnerability and flashing those eyes at him, and it's just like, you know, how you gonna how are you gonna not ask her out right? And he's he's crossing a line and and she's crossing a line. And but such such a great love affair is made of the same stuff, right, That's that's got a lot of potential. There a lot of potential.
Speaker 4: One thing I noticed in this rewatch that I haven't noticed previously is the parallel between Max being so persistent and she's resisting, resisting, resis and then she finally caves in. It reminded me of season seven when she's in Paris with Christopher and he's like, marry me, marry me, marry me. She's like, no, no, we can't, blah blah, and then she at the end she caves in and ends up Mary and Christopher. So I actually liked it less this time than on previous watches because I did think Max was being a little pushy, and I kind of felt bad for Rory because she's struggling at this school. She kind of feels like everybody's against her, and now her mom is going to date her teacher and she was completely blindsided by it. I felt a little bad.
Speaker 1: For Rory, but I bought into the max vibe because it's a guy who I mean, he wanted to marry her. Did you get that sense like I have found somebody very very special? And I think maybe that was the point of of that storyline, is like this is how special she is. Where this guy goes this nut's over her and they're both going to cross these lines, and you know, Ry's just gonna have to deal with it because she's going to get it from both sides. She's going to get it at school and she's going to get it at home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's not really fair to her.
Speaker 1: It's not. It's not, but it does speak of the level of attraction between these two. So I'm kind of down with it now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was definite attraction there, for sure. I just felt like they could have not acted on it while.
Speaker 2: He is her teacher.
Speaker 4: I felt bad for her at the end when when Laura was putting all of it on Rory and saying, well, I won't date him if you don't want me to, Like that wasn't really fair to put that on Rory's shoulders because what she's supposed to say, like she didn't want her mom to be unhappy. So I don't know, I just saw it differently this time around than I have in the past.
Speaker 1: It's almost like they were of like roommates and contemporaries, and it's like, look, I'm going to date him. I know you like him, but I'm going to date him first.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It was almost on that level, and it really blurred the lines between mother and daughter.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, Laurela, I was definitely not thinking on a parental level.
Speaker 1: Right, Still charming, uh, still still kind of dig Max Medina. You know, I like it. I know it's ethically strained and it's it did stress me out, the touching of the elbow and the whole thing. But he was really rubbing her arm. Man, he was going for that arm.
Speaker 2: The arm rub. It kind of got to me too. You're right, I will say it was a little forward. It was kind of an aggressive choice in that particular setting. But but he.
Speaker 1: Just, man, he wanted to close that deal, and.
Speaker 2: He was like he wanted to close it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he couldn't stop himself. He was just like, I want you and I want to date you and this is messed up, and I know it. It's going to mess up your daughter maybe, But Jane, we're gonna be together. We're all going to be together.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I love your babe, and let's do this. I don't know, all right. Then the French group comes into the end and Michelle hysterically tells them with a French accent, a very thick French accent, that he's from Texas, and he refuses to talk to them.
Speaker 4: He never disappoints.
Speaker 1: I swear he really does. He really does. Yeah, these early episodes, he's got some of the best Michelle stuff there is in the whole library of episodes. And now we see, you know, larelized wacky world inside that independence end, and we want to keep going back. I like how they just give us little tastes of it, keep us wanting more. Shows very good at doing that. All right, Let's go to the bake sale, Susanne, and why don't you take over the section and take us through the bake sale?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I liked the bake sale. I thought that was a fun scene. It was a shot at Greystone, which which they used for Chiltern. Suki has I thought it was the perfect idea to have Suki make all the baked goods because Lorela is not going to make anything that is going to meet the standards of this chiltin crowd, Right, so Suki's got you know, her taste, sensations and all this. It was perfect. And then but then she lights the table on fire, so it was it was just it was just classic Suki. I thought, you know, she's they established her as accident prona, kind of clumsy, and uh it was. It was perfectly in character for her. So I enjoyed that. And then we see Max. This is where we get the for all the fans, this is the iconic line, do you like coffee only with my oxygen? This was the scene was the source of that line. So that was fun to see that. And then you know, Max says that there's nothing in the Chiltern rules that prohibits a teacher from dating a parent, which it's hard to believe that, they're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to believe. Yeah, but parents as paying what fifty sixty dollars a year? Yeah, would you would think that it's a clause right, right? Paperwork? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this is where he starts the hard court Press about Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, Greg, I want to talk about Lauren Graham. I'm want to talk about her skill set, and ladies and gentlemen listen to me. And Greg Henry is one of the great talents over the past I don't know, forty years working in film and television. And the first time I be became aware of Greg Henry because I want to ask you about Lauren's skill set. But I want to set you up because when I became aware of you for the first time, uh, and I didn't know who you were, and I hadn't seen you in anything prior. But you weren't Scarface with al Pacino and you did a scene out you right, right, but okay, but that's my point. My point is, And you were from the State Department, right, You were representing the State Department. You were in the the Colombian drug lords living room. Al Pacino was in big trouble. He needed help and he was gonna he flew to Columbia to get to get help. And you were introduced to Tony Montana. And this is what was your character's name in in Scarface.
Speaker 2: Smith, mister Smith from Washington, right.
Speaker 1: And this is mister Smith from from Washington. They say State Department from Washington.
Speaker 2: They just say from Washington. I don't think from Washington.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. I don't think you had a line, but I'll never forget a the suit you were wearing, the way you shook al Pacino's hand, and the way you looked at him, and it was like, wow, that's an actor.
Speaker 2: I did have.
Speaker 1: Oh did you?
Speaker 2: The line was how do you do mister Montana? Right there?
Speaker 1: Yes, how do you do mister? But it was just just so impactful. And I love when I see actors know the you know, the old saying there's no such thing as a small role. There are only small actors. You took that role, owned it, and man it was. It was powerful, and it always every time I see that film, and I you know, I watched it a couple times a year because it's such a great film, and you like to revisit these great films. Always look forward to that scene. And I said, wait here comes Greg Henry. He's gonna shake his hand, he's gonna shake his hairs. Look at that. So just you have to have real experience and a real skill set to take something seemingly so minuscule in a film. But tell a story with your body, and tell a story with your mind. And that's what you did, and that's what you do so well. Tell us about Lauren Graham and how great a comedic and dramatic actors she is a thing she was doing with the scenes with Maxi Medina.
Speaker 2: Well, she's uh, she's quite magical. She lives.
Speaker 3: She she is always in the moment. Everything is like coming right coming right from her being, right from where she's sitting there and from her understanding of of of Laura Lai and uh and and and that's why it appears so effortless. But it's not easy. But but but she uh, she.
Speaker 2: Just allows herself.
Speaker 3: And and she allows herself these impulses, and the impulses are what are so surprising. The impulses are what surprising in the throw or the or the delivery or the or the intent, you know. And she's very comfortable in her knowledge of her whole world, which is uh, which also kind of informs everything.
Speaker 2: And it's uh. And she just has a great sense of humor too.
Speaker 3: She's very you know, very on top of it in terms of how she plays everything as every as really everyone is in this show.
Speaker 2: But and I.
Speaker 6: Uh and and you're right that it that it you know that you can find yourself in in Halifax in the morning missing up that it's because it's because it's it's so real, because it's so just from the being uh.
Speaker 3: You know, just just you know, a slight look, a slight you know, lift of a word, you know, those.
Speaker 2: Things surprise you. And and the surprising things are makes this stuff happen in the eyes.
Speaker 1: I think interesting how they shoot it too. I think they really gave us a gift by not being obsessed with you know, too much coverage and too many close ups and you know, you know, dirty over the shoulder close ups and then totally clean close ups and we're going to punch in even further and further and further, you know, and it just becomes so restricted. And how this is a little looser, you know, it's in people are able to sort of you're able to see people living and acting together in the scenes more in this show, so it almost seems like it's it's it's more real life. Greg. Also, when you're a lot of fans wanted to know when you're preparing your scene work for Mitcham Huntsberger. Are you Are you loving it as much as I think you are because you get to say that stuff and be that guy? And are you having as much fun as I think you are when you're actually acting it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mitcham was tremendous fun. It was just great words and a great character and.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, and.
Speaker 3: I was I was just sort of like I just went on a thing in Connecticut for the Gilmour Girls and we sort of the so that we talked about you know that that you don't Got it line, which of course is you know, there was like there I would get like glares from women in the in the grocery store, you know, and I'm like, you know, it must be one of those violent killers I play that they hate.
Speaker 2: No, no, Mitchellsburger.
Speaker 3: And uh so, but we got into that a little bit, and and you know, I think Mitcham was you know, That's that's the great thing about the writing is that it's from a very very real place.
Speaker 2: There's like all kinds of just tough love being offered there. You know. Was it colored a little bit, you know with his opinion, sure, but but it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: And and I rewatched sort of the episodes, and and I remember the scene and with with Ed Herman, which was which was a lot of fun. And and I believe that's that's kind of the coldest that Mitcham ever gets is in that scene with Ed in the in the in the restroom, he's he's funny, he's kind of charming, but he's you see him like bring kind of the power hammer down, you know. And and that was an interesting flavor too.
Speaker 2: But the main thing is the writing. The writing is just, you know, so rich, it's so wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. Yeah, I'll never forget that scene. I'll never stop and enjoining, you know, speeding up that particular episode you were in when you came and and you and uh and Maddie had had a real, real, real shouting match with each other.
Speaker 2: I was to toe, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I was. I was just as good as it gets. I was just like and it's when I that scene made me realize. I mean, I always knew how good you were, but that scene made me realize how good Maddie is. Yeah, boy man, it was like, how do you stand toe to toe with Greg Henry and just keep delivering shots. It's just it's because you're fast, man, you're on it. And if you're not on it, man, Greg Henry is going to eat your lunch. You're not going to be able to keep up. It's just.
Speaker 2: Very, very wonderful, wonderful guy too.
Speaker 1: I like him, Yes, great guy. Absolutely, he's a friend of the show. He's been on a couple of times. I run into you know, I run into him once in a while at conventions. It's always good to see him. So we're uh walking through Stars Hollow Dosie's market. Now we go inside. Miss Patty is there, and now we see Kirk. Susanne take us to Kirk and miss Miss Patty encounter.
Speaker 4: This is an interesting scene because Kirk and Miss Patty don't seem to know each other, which as the as the series progresses, we know that they've both lived in Stars Hollow forever. Miss Patty even makes some comment about it, you know, having Kirk in a class when he was a child. So it's a little bit of that kind of early on where we're trying to settle all the characters and they haven't quite figured out where everybody fits yet because it's not consistent. Later in the show that the two of them are strangers to each other, but just some funny, you know, double entendra suggestive banter about putting things in their mouths, and it's a funny scene. Like it was. It's a great scene when the plums and Miss Patty's talking to Rory and Rory's like looking really uncomfortable. It's just classic town kind of stuff. We've talked on this podcast before about how the town itself is a character and and you know all of these crazy people that live there and they all have their their individual quirks. In this scene, I think is a perfect embodiment of that. And Rory shows up at the cashier with a head of lettuce and a mouse trap and a dollar like it's just it's just it's just a great scene. I it's I thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no a maoutter. How bizarre they are. You know, you got to bet and Maury. They're full of heart and soul. And Miss Patty if there's all this sexual sexual innuendo that you may make some people uncomfortable or deem inappropriate, she's full of heart and soul right now. At the end of the day, she loves everybody. Everybody loves her, but everybody has their quirks and they're accepted for it. So it's it's it's it's a nice feeling. It's a nice place. There's real freedom in there.
Speaker 4: One thing that that we noted too, is that we've established Doci's Market as kind of a central place in the town. But we haven't even met Taylor yet. Taylor, we haven't wait a long until episode like seven or eight.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's interesting that we were more familiar with the market itself than we are with Taylor yet at the.
Speaker 1: Great Michael Winters, Yes, so we'll see him soon. Good Greg. What do you think of the coffee date when Max Medina and Laurel I meet after her college course business course? What you what do you think of that? This is the arm rubbing?
Speaker 2: We already referred to this that I did.
Speaker 3: I did find the arm choice a little a little pressing, uh, kind of kind of bold, kind of very but but I did like that they set it up there, that it was a coffee date. And she says, you know, I just happened to be there at four four twelve every day or whatever, and and I thought that that was charming. But you see, but the way they play together, uh uh, Scott Moore is very you know, it's got that sparkle, it's got that it's got that that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know that there's like real, real juice here, you know. And uh and I thought that it and I thought that it played played well, you know the arm thing. I thought, well, I don't I see, I didn't know how how it was going to end at the end, you know, So there was a little bit of suspense there.
Speaker 3: For me with with when he was going for the army, like, oh, that might be she might just say, nope, I'm sorry, I'm giving my arm back. But but uh, but it turned out to be the opposite of that. That it's like kind of a boulder choice and and and uh that makes us go that.
Speaker 1: Direction because he certainly you know. And she liked it. She looked at down, She looked down and smiled, and she liked it like a guy taking charge here, you know. And uh, ash, she said, you know, it's it's been a long time since she's dated somebody, seriously, you know what I mean. And uh, anyway, yeah, I I it's when I I found my love for Max Medina. You gotta respect the guy who can just throw it down like that and then match witzwe her like that and tongue tire and then she was like, all right, here's a card I'm getting out of here. Call me.
Speaker 3: So great into that too is like round one and you're already you know that.
Speaker 1: They both right compelling, compelling, And then that guy sits down in the middle of the guy with that giant face a face a face yeah. I mean, the guy didn't have to say a word. It was hysterical. And then he got the point and left, all right, we're going, let's go to the diner. Susan takes Susan takes to the diner, Luke's Diner.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Luke's Diner. I loved the banter between Suki and Luke in this scene, they're sitting at the counter. There's an issue with there's no onions on the burger, and so Suki takes it upon herself to doctor up everyone's food that's that's sitting there at the bar, which Luke does not take kindly to, and the makes that comment you bring her in here again, I want her on a leash. That was a good lie and then at the at the end of the scene is when Rory comes in to say that something happened to Cinnamon. So it kind of ends on a down or note. But I thought it was a funny scene. Lorel is trying to kind of think through the scenario and what does she want to do with Max and what does she not want to do with Max? And it was a good scene.
Speaker 1: The one thing that surprised me about that scene was Luke had a funny line in the beginning of it when they're kind of oddball conversation that they were not connecting on and Suki didn't get and look, just chimes and how do you guys get any work done? I mean, when the Palladinos throw you a good line, man, you just hope you don't blow it right. It just you hope you hit it right.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Such a gift they give you, such gifts.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he was the guy at the counter that Lorla I was saying, well, you know, it would be nice to get some, you know, and then like, I don't know, and the guy next to him is like, I know.
Speaker 1: The one that Michelle referred to it the way, because yo, hehaw Man from the same guy. Okay, so now we are actually at bet Morey's house. Cinnamon's gone, ma he thinks it was the clams. I thought this was one of the more comical and touching scenes with the description of the cat sliding across on the west floor. Oh man, Greg, God, Greg, take take this one. Take this one.
Speaker 7: Well, Sally stra and she says she came him a nudge and then a further nudge, and I just waxed the floors and he went sliding.
Speaker 2: The cross hit the lamp and that's.
Speaker 1: What I knew.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I howled it down. I watched it twice. I I like, I gotta roll it back and watch it again. And it was just as funny. Oh god, oh Mercy, that was funny.
Speaker 1: And you know Sally magic. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's magic. She's magic.
Speaker 3: Well, then when it goes into the you know, when she's going through all the medications that she gave the cat, you know, each one, you know, and then finding the one that's for her, it's like, it's it's as you say about her earlier. I mean, it's it's it's quite comical, but it's also it's just it's just touching you know.
Speaker 1: That woman can make you laugh and cry at the same time. Yes, that is rare. She's I don't know, Sally Struthers to me is everything that's right about acting. And even even even the nurse that came or the medical person who came to take the cat away, or you know, even she has gets a great line. You know, the cat was two hundred and sixty years old in human years, so you know, I mean, it's just the Palatinas are very generous. They probably have so much wit and so much comedy inside them. They you know, imagine being with them for a day. And I was, so it's kind of great. All right, Suzanne, take us through the wake. Now we are at the entitled scene.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, the wake was such a great scene with all of the town coming together for this cat, and it's in this crazy house with the low ceilings and the pull away. It just was so quirky. And the Suki there's more Suki and Luke Banner was setting up the food and you know, Suki's describing exactly how everything's going to be and Luke's just like digging it in.
Speaker 1: But what about the visual when they both get stuck in the door competing. That was classic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just everything about this scene I loved. And you know, Rory was all flustered by Dan and she tells Laura, I go to Chilton now, like she's she's just so gobsmacked by running into Dean. And then there's you know, funny banter between Kirk and Miss Patty.
Speaker 1: He apologizes, yeah.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he apologizes for because he didn't know she was the Miss Patty. And then we have at the same part the scene where they're doing the dishes, and like you were saying, Scott, this is where she's funny and sad at the same time. She cracks that joke about Lorla's ass, like just hilarious, and then she's crying in the next sentence, like it just it was great.
Speaker 1: She's a master. She's just a master.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no one else that I can think of that could have played that role. She just is amazing.
Speaker 1: But believe it or not, they are out there. There's there's actresses out there you've never heard of that do that. Oh yeah, yeah, No, there's all kinds of these brilliant theater actresses that you just you know, they're not famous, but they're so good. Right, you know, and you see them if you go to regional theater, you see them.
Speaker 4: That's the thing with acting, Like I'm I'm not an actress. I'm not in the entertainment industry aside from being on this podcast. But I always think that there's so much talent out there, and it's it's sometimes it just comes down to lock. Like somebody got a lucky break and someone else doesn't. Doesn't mean that they're less talented. It just means that they didn't get that chance.
Speaker 1: It just it just shows you how specific casting can be. Yeah, on the great shows, the memorable shows, you know, the historic shows, the casting is so ultraspecific. You can be you know, ninety nine point nine nine percent perfect for the role, but then a guy walks in who's one hundred percent. You know. It's it's that subtle. I think that's what the show accomplishes. So well, anyway, continue I no.
Speaker 4: So then also the Wake is where Rory finally kind of connects with Dean because he's going to walk away right He's like, I'm sorry, I bugged you. I can see you're not interested. I'll leave you alone, and she's like wait no, like she finally overcomes her shyness and is able to connect with him and express that she's interested too, So that obviously going to set the tone for the whole rest of the season. And then kind of wraps up with loral I seeing Max on the front porch and she's like, oh crap, that was tonight. And so then we have the Laurel I Rory conversation. You know, Rory's like, when were you going to tell me this? Which was a valid point. So yeah, this whole weake scene was really the whole crux of the episode.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the ending scene with uh Lorale sort of almost pleading with her daughter for permission to date Max. I think very clever device because if and very risky, right, I mean, talk about taking a chance as artists as writers to pull this off, right, because it's on its face, it's uncomfortable to see this conversation, but it opens up a whole sea of possibilities for where the show can go and what's acceptable because I think they pushed the envelope really far on this one, but it worked. It just kind of works because they just love each other so much. We are trained as an audience to expect that this folks, This ain't your traditional mother daughter relationships. This is going to be a little different experience for y'all, right, and that's what we get in this conversation. And this is you know, possible but probable, probable but not possible. No, it is, it's happening, and there we have it. So they're laying it all out for us and saying this is a little different and accept it or not, but this is where we're going with this bravely forward.
Speaker 4: I think to some extent that's kind of a normal progression because we know that when Rory was younger, Rory and Lorelai were like best buds, they were pals. They weren't so much mother and daughter. But now Rory is a teenager, she's starting to, you know, have romantic feelings for a boy. Laurela's having romantic feelings like So now we're kind of moving into a more adult phase. And now they have to negotiate that transition from maybe not a transition, but the parallel existence of a friend friendship as well as a parent child relationship. It's kind of that setting up that conflict and how are they going to get through that?
Speaker 1: You know, what you should have your own podcast. Oh you do, Sorry, Greg. When you were a kid, were you a Dean? Were you were you a Jess Or were you a Matt or neither? Neither?
Speaker 2: Neither?
Speaker 3: Yeah, really really neither.
Speaker 1: Were you a Maxi Medina?
Speaker 2: I was definitely not a Max Medina. I never off that arm.
Speaker 1: Were you Were you a Luke Danes?
Speaker 3: You know, I have limited sort of knowledge in terms of the team Luke Tine Dean thing.
Speaker 2: And so I'm going to go that I was closer.
Speaker 3: With with Maddie Alphabet. You know, I don't know, I think because he's you know, I was a very sort of proper kind of kid, and and I think that that is what he is.
Speaker 2: We laid or learned, maybe not as proper as we once knew, I think.
Speaker 3: But so I think that's and and uh and uh you know the bus.
Speaker 2: The bus move. Also it's a very bold move, the bus move and the r move.
Speaker 3: These guys are like, you know, they're coming in and uh, taking chances.
Speaker 2: So I don't think. I think I was probably more Maddy.
Speaker 4: Before we go, I have a question for Greg. So another element of our podcast is that we have two other hosts that are rewatching Bunheads.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which, of course you.
Speaker 4: Were in Bunheads and the character of Rico is so different from mitcham Huntsberger that one of our hosts, Danielle, didn't even realize it was you playing the role until someone told her. So I just wanted to see, Like, having now worked on two different Amy Sherman Palladino shows, and Bunheads has a lot of similar Gilmore elements, you know, strong female relationships, quirky town, all that kind of stuff. What was it like being on both of those sets? Was it was it a similar atmosphere or was Bunheads different than Gilmore? Like, what were your thoughts having worked on two shows with with that crew?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, it was it was a similar few feeling, it was. It was a it was a pretty warm set, you know, and I think Gilmore Girls was more easy.
Speaker 3: It was more and you know, they've been doing it for five years by the time I got there, so.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and kind of in the crunch of being a new show, and so it was you know, that was that was in the air.
Speaker 5: But you know, uh, everybody was, you know, wonderful. Sutton was was wonderful and of course, Amen, Dan, And I'm just trying to remember, but yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Would say that that's that's the difference. That's the difference between the two. Is one one you kind of your shoulders are a little higher, you know, than they were in the other one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, I Greg, you're going to join us December eighteenth for a live podcast as at Warner Brothers. Uh, looking very much forward to that, and Uh, we're just going to have a good time over there.
Speaker 2: No, you know, does is mean I have to get my computer to work again or if I join you, I'm joining you and at Warner Brothers. Am I not? Oh yeah that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're going to be there.
Speaker 2: That's you're person to person.
Speaker 1: You're taking the stage. Man, you can take it over. You're gonna come up there and take over. You know.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. Anyway, Thank you so much for your time, Greg. Looking forward to seeing you in December. I'm sure the fans are too, so if you want to join Greg and all of our other guests on live I am all in podcasts from Warner Brothers Studios. Suzanne will be in attendance. The entire crew will be there, The Intrepid Crew, Greg Henry will be there, plus some other guests. Go to veeps dot com slash I Am all In to get your streaming tickets and you'll be able to access that stream December twenty second for a week or two. I think it's about a week after that, twenty two through twenty eight. Anyway, Greg, thanks so much for your time and we'll see you soon, Buddy. Be well, all right, Suzanne, take care, Thank you everybody, and remember where you lead, we will follow. Take care everybody to forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.