Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Sophia. Welcome to Work in Progress. Hello Whipsmarties. This is a very special episode because it is actually not only a crossover of podcasts, but a crossover of this podcast and TV. Today, we are sitting down to have a conversation with Jessica Capshaw and Camilla Luttington to talk about Grey's Anatomy. Me going to work on Grey's Anatomy, and I'm also going to go visit them on Call It What It Is, their new podcast. Camilla and I have not worked together on the set of Grays, but we have crossed paths in the breezeway and it is such a fun set to be on.
Speaker 2: She is an icon.
Speaker 1: Doctor Joe Wilson is this vulnerable, strong, funny character and that's because of Camilla and not only to she do amazing work on Gray's. Do y'all know that she embodies Lara Croft in the tomb Raider video games. From animation to the screen. She's just an incredible performer and happens to be one of the most fun.
Speaker 2: Humans to be around at work.
Speaker 1: And Jessica Capshaw, oh an icon doctor Arizona Robbins come on. She starred on Grey's Anatomy for nine seasons. Happened to work with my best friend from my first show, The Inimitable Hillary Burton, and has starred in some of my favorite series in films, from Hulus Tell Me Lies to Netflix Is The Holiday, The l Words, Bones, The Practice, Blind Trust, and more. She is a chameleon and at the same time one of a kind, and the two friends have teamed up from the halls of Green Sloane Memorial to your podcast feed to launch their new show, Call It What It Is. As real life besties, they navigate the highs and lows of life together, from distress signals to successful moments big and small. These two are there for each other and on their show, they'll tell us what that looks like from a thousand pep talks, a million I got us, some urgent I'm coming overs, and more, laughing through the tears and problem solving over glasses of rose sometimes tequila. Whatever floats your boat. They know life can get even crazier than a season finale of Grey's Anatomy. Let's dive in with Jessica and Camilla.
Speaker 2: Ah, How's New York look at you?
Speaker 1: Two cheaper cheery cuties?
Speaker 2: Oh, we've had so much coffee as my goodness, it's a situation. We could be in the ear act you at this point. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I sent my alarm this morning for six because I was like the trick where you get ready before the kids are up and then I just magically appear in the kitchen. This time, I actually really did do it where I got breakfast ready and then I felt like I was like in the Delliparton song where I was like working Mark five on the train with all the commuters, got into Grand Central, came, we got ready, and now we're here at iHeart Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. Well, the irony is that I'm now talking to you from LA because I've been working on Grace.
Speaker 2: I know. I can't wait to dive into that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, it's so fun. Okay, I have a question for yall, because I normally like to go backwards before we catch up in present day. Did you both know you wanted to be actors? Like did you grow up little theater babies or did you have totally different plans and now you've made the world's most iconic television show.
Speaker 2: I knew I wanted to act from a super early age. I was four years years old and I watched The Wizard of Oz and I knew that I wanted to be Judy Garland, not Dorothy and my parents nobody and my family were actors at all, and my mom thought I would turn into this like stage brat and she was like, that's not what you're doing. And then I just loved it so much that I think that I like sold her on the idea and was doing theater really young, so like little you know, community stage productions at like you know, nine ten. Caught my first first agent when I was eleven the theater, studied at Italia CONTI then came to New York and then eventually ended up in Los Angeles and doing you know, auditioning for One Tree Hill and not getting it. By the way, did not get that job, not having that day we blew it. Yeah, Well, I really wanted to move to because you guys filmed in Wilmington, right North Carolina, and that's where Dawson's Crea filmed, and I thought that this was my Dawson's Creek moment because it was like the show that I loved. And then I don't even think I got a call back, no, it's okay, and then here I am with you, lovely ladies, promoting all the things. Yeah, I grew up totally different stories.
Speaker 4: I grew up as a little one.
Speaker 3: Very very shy, and I don't know that I ever dreamed that I would be bold enough to tell a story. But I always had a lot of stories in my mind, and the bulk of my acting was done with myself in the bathroom mirror. I would imagine circumstances and then I would you know, act them out and then and then I was surrounded by the world of acting. My mom was an actress and she and we were on the road all the time, so I was on film sets from when I was five six years old. And then I think that I fought it. I was kind of like, that's too predictable. That seems like, you know, and I remember I just remember seeing other people that were daughters of going out into the world and daring greatly and being totally just I mean, this was before I mean, I don't know what people think NEPO babies are cool or not. I still sort of don't understand the complexity of that, but it seems like it's a positive negative thing like there's like there's a tension for it, but at the same time there's there's questioning of merit and integrity on some level, and that was happening in my world. So I was a little bit like, I don't need to put myself out there and be bad.
Speaker 4: That just needs to not happen.
Speaker 3: And so, in very typical Jessica capsh Off for muh, I I vetted myself with all the acting teachers I could find. I want to wait a summer camp. I was like, but no, it's but am I good? Is what I wanted to know at the end of summer camp when I went to I.
Speaker 2: Still want to know that? Right, we're still waiting to find out. We still don't know.
Speaker 4: We still haven't decided.
Speaker 1: I think that ever goes away, does it?
Speaker 2: No? No, what I'm saying, No, No, I feel like it never goes away.
Speaker 3: Also, by the way, there's some people who do think you're good and some people who think you're terrible.
Speaker 4: All you have to do is go on the internet.
Speaker 1: Internet is a terrible place.
Speaker 4: No, it's a very dark world wide web. Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: No matter how long we do this, you know they'll call cut. You'll look at your coworkers and be like, well, okay, yeah, long is the people you're acting with, I think you're great, and vice versa. The internet can crawl in a hole and die there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember lots of times after it takes the director would say, you know, sort of like a compulsory thing.
Speaker 4: They'd be like, that was great, that was good.
Speaker 3: Moving on, and I would always sort of pause and look at whoever I was with and be.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm not really shooting or aiming for good? Can we go?
Speaker 1: Like? Could we? How?
Speaker 4: What are we? Where are we between good and great?
Speaker 3: How do we There's that sort of like work ethic piece of me that wants to keep going, and.
Speaker 2: Then you went on a network show and you realize, no, we're going to move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're just going to move on, or the difference your first season in your last where you're like and.
Speaker 4: We can go.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious about this because you know, Jessica, you joined Grays in oh nine, Kimillie you joined in twenty twelve, and in the same way you talk about like not getting you know, one Tree Hill. I think about all of the shows we've all auditioned for all of the jobs you want to get and most of them you don't. Like, when you're a successful actor, what do you book three percent of all your auditions or something? What was it like to join a show like this? Because people will ask me about my show and I'm like, we didn't know anything. We didn't know how long we were going to be on by the time you stepped into Grays, you know, in both of your respective seasons, like the show is such a juggernaut. Was it a different experience to go up for the job, audition for the job, show up on set, Like, what is that journey like for both of you?
Speaker 3: My story was a little nuanced and that I had been a huge fan of the show like appointment television, watched it on the night, and then it wasn't until the fifth season that maybe, no, maybe the fourth where I auditioned and I went in.
Speaker 4: I literally had a baby two weeks prior.
Speaker 3: But my agent called me and said there's this part, and she said, I know you would I know you don't want to go out for anything, but I know you would also kill me if I didn't tell you that there's this part coming on. And I said, you're right, I am, so I like, I mean, I tidied up real quick and I hoofed it over to.
Speaker 2: Hoofed it over to the studio expression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used my hugs and ran over and I was like okay, And I showed up in the casting office and I did everything that I could to get the.
Speaker 4: Part, and I didn't.
Speaker 3: And then maybe about a year later, there was another part, and I thought, well, now this is going to be it, and I went in and I auditioned and I didn't get it. And then my agen but they really do like you, Yeah, they don't like me that much, and they sort of stayed on them and lo and behold, we got a phone call that you know, there's this part is a three I was offered a three episode arc on the show. And when I came on, I was still just a fan. I came on as a fan and I was acting, but I was like looking around and just sort of wanted. I was like simultaneously wanting to do something really great and at the same time just like blend in so no one could get rid of me.
Speaker 2: And that's what I did.
Speaker 3: And then it just sort of went on to another episode and another episode and then that was throughout the entire fifth season, and then I was brought on as a regular in the sixth season.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what happened. Sophia non nod wing three episodes yea.
Speaker 4: With us.
Speaker 2: For me, the journey was a little bit different. I had never auditioned for it before, but I had just tested for a pilot of Shondas that didn't end up going. It was one called Gilded Lily's and and yeah, I went to Network and it was between me and another girl and I didn't get it. And then I ended up on True Blood and True Blood finished. But I had to go to Comicon because I played Lara Croft in all the video games, well in three of the last three video games. So I went to Comic Con on the Friday, and I got a call on the friday, on the Thursday saying Shonda Rhymes wants to put together a new intern class. Can you come on tomorrow to audition? And you know now they can't do it. But it was like literally, you know, the last minute, like hey, you have a bunch of sides the night before and you got to come in the next day and I couldn't make it. So I was like, damn, I can't believe I missed that. And then I was still at Comic Con for the weekend, and then I got a call saying they can't find this one heart. Would you come in on the Monday, And I was like, I can make that. So it was between me and about six other girls. I went in. I auditioned for Shonda. She was there, and then I was so the first one in and they asked me to stay behind, which is always you know, is a good sign. And then one by one the other girls left and it would just ended up being me and this shit because with me, and then I found out that it was between me and another girl in New York. And then about four days later I was on set and it was super intimidating. You're absolutely right, super established show, wait, but very intimidate. I was.
Speaker 3: I say something about that, which is that I for me and in my experience coming on the fifth season of the show, it was a huge success.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 3: It's actually an even bigger success now. So when I was there, people were still chasing, like, what were the ratings last night? People were still talking about what the ratings were like, people were still talking about the ad dollars. People were still talking about very you know, quintessential, how we've made television for the past fifty years type of mindsets. Right, it was not super expansive. It was only starting to you know, social media was taking hold and there were conversations happening between shows or characters on shows or people on shows and the outside world. And then the most magical thing of all that came along was streaming. And so what I saw in the ten years I was there was this explosion of this show becoming multi generational in its watchers were in its viewers and it's yours where the right word is for that, but people watching it and then watching it again. So when you say you coming on to a juggernaut's like it was to me. I mean it was it was my dream come true to come onto the show, and.
Speaker 4: It became even bigger.
Speaker 3: So it's wild to me to sort of look at it now and just see the presence that it has. And again just like the you know, the mothers and daughters that come up and say, you know, or people who got into medicine because of it.
Speaker 2: Even the last two weeks we were I got Suiden something where this says we're in the top ten of streaming worldwide. Yeah wow, which is insane. Yeah yeah to still you know, yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 1: It's such a cool thing to be a part of. I went to the table read last week for this latest episode, and you know, first of all, like so cool to see everyone there. It's twenty one seasons in. The bar is so high. Everybody loves each other, everybody's laughing, everybody's giving this thing. They're all when they could be coasting, and like Debbie Allen goes to walk by and I'm like, hi, Debbie, Hi, I'm Sophia, but I just want to introduce myself. And she grabs me by the hand and goes, girl, I know who you are. And I was like yeah yeah, and she started laughing at me, and I was like, I just gasped in Debbie Allan's face, Am I okay?
Speaker 2: That what is wrong with me?
Speaker 1: And everybody was giggling, and I just was like, whoa. This is a really surreal experience and it's so cool that you all. It's just so cool what you all have built. It's really beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love and I love what you said, which is exactly how I feel when you're in our table reads, you can tell and then this hap on set. Nobody's phoning it in. Everyone's still twenty one seasons in giving it there all. We genuinely love our characters, and we're especially in this climate right now, so appreciative of just the work. And there's no I don't work with anybody that's kind of blase about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now a word from our sponsors that I really enjoy and I think you will too. Do you guys remember the first day you met on set?
Speaker 2: Do you know the story? No? Do you know that we you know we don't like each other. Stop, it's true, Sophia, I know you're a thing. You're looking at me thinking how could you not love me instantly? But Jessica did not. Jessica did not like me?
Speaker 1: What did she do?
Speaker 2: Exactly? There is there's a story about something I did. Can I tell it? Or are you going to tell it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I think it's your turn.
Speaker 3: I think, but also at the I mean, we can completely tell the story. I think that that that the that the real takeaway is that I.
Speaker 2: Got to give her the juice, though, don't just give her. The takeaway is that now you love each other. I the takeaway.
Speaker 3: The takeaway is that you need to be a flexible thinker.
Speaker 1: Who was the inflexible thinker?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I there we go. Okay.
Speaker 3: So I had been on the show for I guess like two or three seasons, and I had had my baby girl, and I came back to work really right away, and I think that I was dealing with a ton of different things that that that some others feel as well or not, who knows. I was like not in my body. I was super insecure about all things. I mean, we're where your brain is, and like was I gonna remember lines? And did I look the way that I wanted to look? And did I could I show up and not have my mind somewhere else? And just like all the things about like when you go to say, like when you tell work like I'm gonna go have a baby, but you have this weird thing that kicks in at some Pavlovian response to old cultural tropes, which is like, but I can still do my job, Like I'm gonna have a baby, but I'm gonna be exactly the same. I'll still be able to do my job, but you're like, oh, wait, no, I'm actually not at all the same person and I can still do my job, but how I do my job might be a little bit different, and I'll need to go a little easy on myself. And I was not yet in that mindset. I was not going easy on myself. And I think what we all know is that when you're not going easy on yourself, you likely aren't going easy on others.
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting how that works?
Speaker 4: Aha?
Speaker 3: Moment, so social media had just started, which I think I also was a little bit weary of, like, oh, you can just be captured in any moment people say things about you, not say things about you. Blah blah blah. Anyways, Camilla and I were working together.
Speaker 4: It was a large scene.
Speaker 3: We were all sitting around the cast chairs.
Speaker 4: We did not know each other very well. She was she loves this part, gorgeous and fun.
Speaker 3: And had this contagious laugh and everyone was so excited to work with her. And Shonda Raimes had gotten a food truck with burgers and I had gone out to go get one, and we were all.
Speaker 2: Sitting around and I tell the story from here.
Speaker 4: I mean, sure she can I'd like to take over.
Speaker 2: Please, if I'm may. I was sitting gorgeous, stunning, mining my own business in my cast here, glowing, and I Shonda Rhimes got a food truck. She got a Burger truck. I thought, I'll go outside and this is great. I'm gonna snap a picture and I'm gonna tweet it and say thank you Shonda for the burger truck. Right, I mean, I'm still recurring, I think at this point. Right, So I'm like, I know, gotta be thankful, grateful, you know, it's a polight thing to do. I snapped a picture, I did the tag, I put it on Twitter, and I sat back down in my seat, not thinking about anything else. This monster kind of storming in the story gets bigger, does it? Does? The storman does get exaggerated every time this volcano came in erupting. And she was like, who posted the picture? And what I truly did not know, truly is that she was at a sliver of the picture to the side was just like Capshaw motivoating like four burgers, and I did not know. I thought I was taking a picture of the truck. I didn't know.
Speaker 3: The family buck shots of burgers one shot, just one.
Speaker 2: She's doing burger shots and I posted it and she thought it was pure sabotage. I thought it was burger sabotage and she it was taking me down, Yes, and I really so. I deleted that so fast. And it was icy that first season, which is getting terrifying but also terrifying.
Speaker 3: Completely confusing, because I'm not an icy person, like you don't have to you don't have to meet me. I mean, I would like to know any other person that would just cry me as icy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't describe you as icy now, But long story short, we hate each other stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah great?
Speaker 1: And then how did you become best friends? Because clearly now we're here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're here.
Speaker 3: Well, after that incident, I imagined a bunch of things about who she was.
Speaker 4: She probably imagined a bunch of things that I was.
Speaker 3: We told her that story on a loop, and to both of our defenses, there were multiple people around us that would say to each other, to each of us, yeah, no, she really is so great. I swear she really is, and so that those seeds have been planted. And then we'd organized a dinner we.
Speaker 2: Shared a bunch of mutual you know, cast and crew friends. We'd organized a dinner before a rap party and all.
Speaker 3: Go to and then go on to the party together and people a bunch of people couldn't make it.
Speaker 2: They canceled on us. Yeah, that's how popular we were.
Speaker 4: Just did you guys wind up on a date? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a sexy Hollywood off Hollywood Bulevard days was.
Speaker 2: A Catsuya Brentwood sushi date. Yeah, Holly, was it Hollywood?
Speaker 4: I remember, Holly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, no, no it was it was Hollywood. And then we were forced to reconcile. But then we just loved each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Then it was done, all done, and then it was just yeah. And then I think that you know, when you're on shows like you can you can get along with everyone, you can, yeah, and you can, and you can respect people and you can you know, be able to work with them and everything else and friends even, but then there's like just certain people that you are like got it, like I get you, you get me and and and yeah, and I think that that that that happened, and then it really was like time and time again we showed up for each other because I would love to say, and I think that I don't think it's inaccurate to say that being on these shows is a dream come true.
Speaker 4: And what can also be true is it's a lot of work. It's a lot of work, and it's really hard.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of ups and downs, a lot of challenges, a lot of different personalities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't think about the fact that there's there's so many different worlds conspiring to make it happen, right, and so you're you know, everyone's on a different journey, but it's all for the same goal. And so it's like you don't know what people are going through and you don't know, you know, if you have no idea what's going on with the challenge, the craft he's dealing with today, or like, you know, the art directors that you know, having gotten you know, notes two hours ago that they're trying to make happen, you know, like this, and you know where the upm's head at is when they've already you know, they've just found out that they need to make something magical happen. And so you know, not every day is easy. As a matter of fact, it's it's work, you know, And to be in that kind of environment and know that you have, you know, a couple people that you can go to and and be and have an inflexible mindset and not have them, you know, and just be off with your.
Speaker 2: Head honestly, because in those days, you know where you just feel raw, yeah, and you just need to knock on that trailer door and just spill it all and know that it's not going to also go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, right, yeah, and be unreasonable and have a temper tantrum and go boneless and cry scream at the sky, you know, and have it actually be of no import five minutes later. It just needing to be something that you need to like get out.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I think it can be really hard because what you're really talking about is it's like the family dynamic right where you can you can get in a fistfight with your sibling and then twenty minutes later your best friends. Again, there is this kind of like deeply intimate familial experience you're having when you're on a set but you're with strangers, but you have to relate to each other almost like a family because you have to keep things really high functioning, but you also can't risk a fight or a misunderstanding, because then it'll derail the ship for not just the cast, with the whole crew. So what I think my friends and I have realized over all the years we've grown up together is that we spent a long time feeling like we were kind of in tandem, like maybe we're so super close or maybe we're strangers, and then we were like, oh no, there's best friendships and complexity and sometimes you want to punch someone. But if any anyone from outside the family said anything about anyone inside the family, even the people you might want to punch today, then you would punch the person outside. Like yeah, it's a crazy dynamic. And I think to your point, when you start to understand how to have really respectful acquaintanceships and then find like your real best friendships and everyone can love each other, it's like you've you've sort of won the lottery of humans. So congratulations a lot of winners.
Speaker 4: Yeah you did.
Speaker 2: No, it's so I agree with you, and it's it's such a hard thing to describe for people that have not experienced it, because also your job is to have chemistry with these people on screen, right, So it's like, maybe there is a day where you're like this, but I can't even look at this person. And yet then the next moment you got to really sell it. And your job kind of depends on selling that this. You're in this intimate strone and female male whoever, and you've got to make it work and it's and you can't bullshit it right because you can tell. So that's also just an element that's I don't know what other job you have to do that sort of specific mind gymnastics, emotional gymnastics sometimes with.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's kind of incredible and kind of insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, yeah, yeah, that's that's that's yeah, all of it, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's when we talked.
Speaker 3: About this, Yeah, I mean yeah, And there's just so many different touch points, you know, from when you you know, from when you wave aload of the security guard to when you're on set to when you're coming home. I mean I think you probably encounter upwards of fifty to one hundred people in a day, you know.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of all day more. Yeah, yeah, it's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well we have just been Camilla and I have been together for seven days straight. Yeah, yeah, all the way from Palm Beach, Florida to New York to We've been in the countryside of New York and what are you guys doing having sleepovers at my house with my family.
Speaker 2: We had a convention like a women's you don't call it convention, like a summit, a summit. We had a summit and palm and Palm Beach that we also use as like a girl trip. It was a little work and play.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then my education. Instead of going back to Los Angeles because I'm not in the current episode, you just spoil it for me. Tell me what's happening. I have some things. I just came. I just went straight instead of coming back. I went straight to New York. Because she lives in the countryside.
Speaker 3: And the countryside and but her her her biggest wish was to watch a holiday movie with my girls.
Speaker 2: Can we all put on cozy holiday pajamas and watch a movie?
Speaker 4: And we did it, and we did it.
Speaker 2: It was very cozy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then she came and watched the girls ride horses and they just truly like my eight year old, who hadn't spent as much time with her, because the fourteen and twelve year old will grab my phone and text her and then they'll send each other videos and blah blah, and the eight year old just hadn't had as much crossover.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I wonder how this is gonna work.
Speaker 3: The Josie is gonna like I wonder if she's gonna feel like she's drafted along if I don't know if this three days will be what will it be like? And I was putting her to bed the night before Camilla left, and she looked at me with like the super super sweetest eight year old eyes and she said, does Camilla have to leave tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We have fun. Oh. I felt like I was in Little Women, Sophie. I was, really, it really is like Little Women so cute. It was really super cute. Listen, I know how to. I have a seven year old girl, so I know how to. Yeah she doesn't know how to chow with a name girl.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: But you know, not everybody does that.
Speaker 3: I mean speaking to your point of like how you find your people, I mean, and you don't need to.
Speaker 4: I would be boring if everyone was the same.
Speaker 3: But it is so beautiful and unique to have a friend come in and be like family and just I mean asking questions really on their level and wanting to actually know what the answers are.
Speaker 4: And then now we're in the city, I told.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that. I get it. It's like my best friend Hillary from my first show, her little girl is, She's mine, like weird besties. She sends me care packages, she draws me pictures how she is about to be six, and George is like, so yummy, and yeah, we just are obsessed with each other. And then George met my girlfriend and was like, Sophia will do games with me. And Ashland is a soccer player because George started playing soccer this year, and she, oh, for now from every game, she runs by Hillary and is like, send this to my girls, like on the.
Speaker 4: Video and I'm like, my girls, I die and.
Speaker 1: She's like, mom, are my girls coming over this weekend?
Speaker 2: So cute, Like truly the.
Speaker 1: What it has done to my soul, I'm like, well, I could die happy tomorrow goodbye.
Speaker 2: That's real cute.
Speaker 1: And now a word from our wonderful sponsors. Guys. I almost forgot because basically I just want to talk to you and also make plans to tomorrow for holiday movies. But I do have a question that I actually ask everyone who comes on this podcast, okaychu is what for each of you? What is your work in progress?
Speaker 2: Oh? My god, what isn't Yeah, that is my work in progress?
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I love the question so much because it is so it's almost seems like it's it's only now really being talked about that this in this way right, that the two things can be true. You can be a masterpiece, and you can and you can look at the things that you've done well and be proud of them without you know, running the risk of sounding arrogant. Because we're stepping into a time where it's okay to be able to say I think.
Speaker 4: I did this really well.
Speaker 3: And then there's all these other things that are happening at the same time.
Speaker 4: They're like, I'm working on that, what's.
Speaker 2: Yours right now? I'm working on not futurizing with my kids. That's hard for me. And there's that that's really difficult for me. And I'm I'm trying to be more in the I mean, everyone says as I'm trying to be more in the moment, but I have a really hard time thinking ahead always and often worst case scenario. And so that's just something that I've done for Yes, that's something I've done for a while. And I especially when it comes to my kids, I actually think that sometimes it's not even giving them the benefit of the doubt in not in in theorizing that this is going to go terribly wrong, like have a little more faith in this. Yeah, so maybe just so spiritually having a more a little more faith generally, and also not futurizing catastrophes, Yeah, would be really I mean, but like it's it's it's something that I do, and so I have to. You know, in therapy, I learned what story you're telling, what else is true, what's really true? You know, and that helps me. But that's that's gonna be my work in progress journey probably for maybe forever.
Speaker 4: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: And that's okay, that's okay. At least I'm working on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for sure. What about you?
Speaker 3: I take questions very seriously, by the way, That's why that long, prolonged pause.
Speaker 2: That's what I love about you.
Speaker 4: I would say.
Speaker 3: That I am working on really believing that hope can serve as an anchor and a buoy, that hoping for things can help you stay super grounded in who you are and also allow for you to want more. Yeah, And that I think is it seems like it's there are oppositional thoughts and forces, but I think that they can come together and be true at the same time. And the weaving in and out of them is really uncomfortable for me, you know. So that's something that I think I'm working on.
Speaker 2: I love that. Do we get to ask you that back?
Speaker 1: Sure? Oh gosh. I relate to what you talk about in terms of having a hard time not thinking about the future, and currently the question of hope is hard when I think about the future. But I also I just believe in us, and so I'm trying to commit to knowing, recording, you know, being as honest about what's going on around us as possible, and still believing in us, leaning on us, knowing that, you know, generations of women have come before us, have fought battles, and we're going to fight them for the generations of women that come after us. And like and in the midst of that, not to forget to be in love with my life, because it took me forty two years to be really really happy and to you know, look at the kids and the friends and the love in my life and go no matter what is going on, I'm still so lucky to be right here right now, and that the ability to hold the both and at the same time is my consistent practice and journey.
Speaker 2: I think I really relate to that. Yeah, I relate to that a lot. It's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: But like when you think about you said, you know you might be thinking about what could go wrong. A friend of mine was like, every time you ask yourself or you think about what could go wrong, I just want you to ask yourself what could go right? Yeah, yeah, And it's a wild practice. And so that's that's definitely, you know, part of it for me.
Speaker 2: You know what's been really helpful to me is so far almost everything I've really worried about than one thing has not gone wrong in the way, like when it's come to like my family, so my sister. I always think about my sister. She's like Camilla, we have a track record of being like ninety nine percent wrong. So I hold on to that. Yeah, my futurize and I'm like, you know what though the forecast is yeah, probably wrong. What I'm thinking, Yeah, Like I'm a terrible Weatherman for my own life. And I'm okay with that because I alway I assume it's going to be cloudy and thunder on the weekend, you know, and I got to lean out of that. Yeah, it's real tough, though, it's very tough.
Speaker 4: I know. I so optimistic though, and I.
Speaker 2: Think you're very optimistic.
Speaker 4: I am. I am.
Speaker 3: Well, I just feel like I say it all the time because I feel like it's true. It's like everything will be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, it's not the end.
Speaker 4: Like there's just I think you just keep going.
Speaker 3: I think that's what what we what we connect over a lot too, is just being people that wather through our childhoods or our adolescents or our adulthoods. Like we just keep going. Like if you want someone to get up the hill with, We're gonna get up the hill.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't know how. It might not be pretty, but we're going.
Speaker 2: We're going. We're going it.
Speaker 1: Well, ladies, we're going. And I'm clearly coming over for a.
Speaker 2: Movie perfect Yes, I haven't do it.
Speaker 1: Come on over, friends, I am having such a good time with Jessica, and come out. I am not ready to be done, so be sure to tune into part two of this hang on their podcast, Call It What It Is.