Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jack Katy and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Now, the one thing that everyone seemed to agree on is that Bondi is qualified after three decades as a state prosecutor. But Democrats still appear skeptical that she will be able to resist the kind of pressure that President electromp has put on his previous attorneys general when he wanted to use the Department of Justice to pursue his own aims.
Speaker 4: All right, whatever, But so the main thing there is that there's agreement Pam Bondi is going to be the next attorney General quite easily.
Speaker 5: So, mister chairman, I would like to introduce a tangent. Places why you have a call for a tangent? Can I get a second? I'd like to hear his tangent. Here's your tangent. So that was some galon paulid on CNN, And I feel a little the way I feel about kicking CNN is a little bit like how I feel about kicking the president from his miserable attempt at a farewell address last night. It's increasingly irrelevant CNN. Nobody's watching fewer every day. They're they're a vestige of the past. And I will you know, I don't pun we probably shouldn't be talking about it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be.
Speaker 5: The old guy saying Truman was a Demi crag, right, I mean, nobody cares exactly. But I was reading about that billion dollar defamation suit that the guy filed against CNN for well for defaming him, Joe, that's what a defamation suit is, but having to do with him trying to get people out of Afghanistan, and they called him a black marketeer and a ripoff artist and all, and with no evidence. Reading the depositions and the behind the scenes email and stuff that have been subpoenaed by the court, they had all sorts of people at CNN saying, WHOA, there are enormous holes in this story. This is terrible and unfair. I realized it's exciting, but what about this, that and the other? They had good people at CNN trying desperately to say we can't air this, but air it they did because it sounded exciting, I mean, just morally and journalistically ethically bankrupt, really amazing.
Speaker 4: I just saw the headline today. They're moving wolf Blitzer to mornings to try to save that. But again, we're talking about something nobody watches. We learned early on in our talk career there could be a story and you can't go on the air and say, why does no one care about this story. We'll take your calls. You don't get any calls. It's right because nobody cares. It's in the definition so premise. It's similar about CNN.
Speaker 5: Yeah, boy are they terrible. They deserve to go away, and I wish them well. I don't wish them anything.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear well. We were on the air for a lot of it. The back and forth of the hearing with our new attorney general easily could be the next female president. Oh wow, never even thought about that. Very very bright and and tough, too hot. I think I don't think you can get elected to be in the hole you and your I think it holds you back as a woman. It shouldn't. It's unfair. Well, I think it does both. It helps you and holds you back in certain ways. Anyway, this is her back and forth with our actual senator, and I can't believe it's true, Adam Schiff.
Speaker 6: I'm asking you, sitting here today, whether you are aware of a factual predicate to investigate Liz Cheney.
Speaker 2: Senator. No one has to investigate Liz Cheney. That is a high.
Speaker 6: President has called for it publicly. You are aware of that, aren't you.
Speaker 2: No one has asked me to investigate. But we're also worried. You know, whats to be worried about? MS Bondy. Please, you're right now, you are aware of the root.
Speaker 6: MS Bondy.
Speaker 2: Your robbery is a higher than the national question.
Speaker 7: That's what I want.
Speaker 5: To Adam Shift show later videotaped slumbering soundly during that same hearing.
Speaker 4: They're so meaningless. These things they just they just are just and they get more so. Uh throughout my lifetime so far they.
Speaker 2: Just a grand standy and dumb.
Speaker 4: I got one more eighty five we want to play. This was seen by people who like her as one of her highlights. You speaking, I hope you answer, misspid.
Speaker 7: Senator.
Speaker 2: Let me answer my question.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to be bullied pause of the United States of America, which was deeply disappointing.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 4: Today you're not going to be bullied by me, Senator, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Going to be bullied by you either way.
Speaker 4: I got it wrong either way, it doesn't really make any of You're not going to be bullied by me?
Speaker 2: Yes? True? Why are you shouting at me? I'm sorry? I got it backwards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she handled all of the I mean, would you hire some are you gonna have an enemy's list? And she made it clear I wouldn't take any job in which anybody asked me to do anything unethical.
Speaker 2: Look at my career. You Putts? She didn't say you Potts, but she could have. So will she will coast him?
Speaker 4: Nancy Pelosi not going to go to the Trump inauguration. It could be health reasons, right, she's still hurt from when she fell down the stairs as an old lady in her high heels and broke her ankle. No idea that might be it. They're making a big deal out of Michelle. Obama's not gonna be there. It's also unclear if that's a health thing or not.
Speaker 2: Well. And who cares?
Speaker 4: All the former presidents? Well, is it a diss or something like that? I ge?
Speaker 2: Is it a measure of Yeah, Washington's contempt for Trump? Blah, blah blah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess that's a semi legitimate conversation. But uh, I don't know. I guess the part of me that is revolted by Washington's self obsession.
Speaker 2: Who's in, who's out, who has power, who's hot? Right? I just I don't care. How are you going to govern? How's it going to affect Americans?
Speaker 4: We will be on the air on Monday. It's a company holiday. We could have taken the day off, but we did not when we realized it's inauguration Day. So we will actually be on the air when the nuclear codes are handed over from ancient Joe Biden to Donald Trump, who is at least sentient compared to the current president, but also ancient.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are. We are truly public servants.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: So I was I'm reading some MLK stuff right now because it's his holiday is on Monday, and I do that every year for some reason. And I'm getting into the David Garrow book something the cross, Carrying the cross? What's it a burden? When you have a burden, there's the name. I gotta now, I gotta know.
Speaker 2: I wish I could help.
Speaker 4: That's a very very famous but bearing the Cross, very famous book When the Fold Surprise back in the day. But anyway, so I was reading about Martin Luther King Junior, and I lived in Memphis around that time when he was shot as a little kid. So I was sent in my mom an email about that, like when did when was? When did we move to Memphis and where exactly did we live? The reason I bring this up is my mom is the same age as Joe Biden, the guy we saw on TV last night. They were within a week of each other. On her birthday. My mom was asked about something from a half a century ago, someplace we lived for like nine months. She knew exactly when we moved there and the name of the place and the address off the top of her head. Joe Biden was asked, when were you vice president? And he couldn't come up with it, and the mainstream media excuse that, well, you can't expect a guy to remember when he was vice frid My mom's the same age.
Speaker 2: She remembers where.
Speaker 4: We lived briefly a half a century ago. He doesn't remember when he was vice president. I can't wait. I hope there's a reckoning on this. But how crazy it is that everybody covered up for how badly that guy's brain works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, on the right side of the aisle, we'll certainly reckon with it, and some reasonable moderates will as well. But there's gonna be no mia culpa. There's gonna be no great.
Speaker 4: Horrified Well, of course, did I mention the Washington Post new slogan.
Speaker 2: Oh you told us that there is one, but you did not reveal it.
Speaker 5: Democracy dies in darkness, so self important and ironic.
Speaker 2: Just it'd be hard to do worse.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can find it. It's something like telling the story to all of America. It's basically that. Okay, So it's not like, yeah, well it's Jeff Bezos is trying to go that direction, as you know, by by not endorsing a candidate and all that sort of stuff. So I'm I'm optimistic about a whole bunch of different things that have been ushered in with Trump's pretty dominant win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is exciting.
Speaker 4: One other story that just came across the Super Bowl is not far away. We got a lot of playoff football this weekend. State Farm has scrapped their Super Bowl twenty twenty five commercial as outrage Mounts over LA fires. I'm guessing they were thinking it just wasn't a good idea to just raise our heads up and remind people they just didn't want to have insurance company as a topic at Super Bowl parties.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing Yeah, I think so, right. Yeah, Yeah, that's probably a decent move.
Speaker 4: I'll bet there's going to be a lot of fairly heartfelt commercials. People are probably scrambling right now to come up with something that's here at Budweiser, we care about this and that and are donating something or other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably so, Yeah, particularly if the Rams were to.
Speaker 2: Make it the big contest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right. Would do you think they would a little of the everybody's rooting for him because attached to Los Angeles thing that happens sometimes with teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think the Chiefs are one Super Bowl went away from being the team everybody hates.
Speaker 4: Them, hates based on my life. Yeah, well, if they win three in a row.
Speaker 2: Good lord.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe chief if they won three in a row, they would be one Josh Allen amazing play away from an undefeated season and a three peat in the NFL, which would definitely solidify you as the greatest team of all time. That's insane. Yeah, Oh, we got a bunch of other stuff on the way, stay with us.
Speaker 8: In honor of Valentine's Day, Appleby's has launched two new cocktails.
Speaker 2: But if you've been taken to Appleby's on Valentine's Date, you're gonna need way more than two.
Speaker 4: Oh kind of like date at Applebe's, huh, with the bourbon streak steak and a whatever kind of chocolate shake, that song, and don't ne me to knock an appleby It's perfectly fine place to spend your Valentine's.
Speaker 5: I don't go anywhere on Valentine's Day, and I don't often go to Applebee's, but I don't judge others who do.
Speaker 2: Jack to each their own. I say, I'm.
Speaker 5: Trying to think if there is an Applebee's anywhere, handy anyway, it doesn't matter. Coming up a couple of interesting aspects of the current political scene, including a list of quotes from Democrats that make it, you know, in escapable clear they have no idea why they lost the election and how unpopular some of their ideas are. AOC is a fruit loop. There's a hint, so a couple of non political notes here. Fake job postings are becoming a real problem. At least one in five jobs advertised is fake or never to be filled with no intention of filling it.
Speaker 4: Ah, well that's a problem. But I also know the flip side, trying to hire sitters. I don't know what percentage of those are fake so that they can claim that they're looking for a job, because it allows you to get various checks from the government. All kinds of people I've come across that have no interest in actually taking a job. So if you're fake job listings and fake im i'm for hire listings, makes it very difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just nutty.
Speaker 5: They mentioned that this is dispiriting for workers, obviously leading to distrust in citicism, feeling like it's rigged against them. It's kind of a horror show, said a personnel company president co founder. With the job markets become more sole crushing than ever, companies have a number of nefarious and normal reasons for posting not quite real jobs. They may want to suggest they're growing even when they aren't, or may keep postings up in case they get a candidate who's too good to pass up people who like have their house permanently for sale for like a laughable amount of money. Oh yeah, in case, you know, some Chinese oligarch decides I want a home and name your town.
Speaker 4: If you're in a certain neighborhood in San Francisco or Carmel. I've seen that sort of thing, that those houses are always for sale in case Brad Pitt walks by and decides he wants to live there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but wall Man, it's got to be discouraging.
Speaker 4: Maybe I shouldn't be saying this a lot, but I don't know. We've been involved in situations where you need to hire somebody you know who it's going to be, and then they have to post a job opening for a certain amount of time before you go with the person that you already know you want, right just to satisfy all kinds of legal things.
Speaker 2: Yea, including egal opportunity that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, obviously the assistant who's been doing a brilliant job and everybody knows should have the gig.
Speaker 2: Probably now you're gonna give him the job. Anyway.
Speaker 5: Here's a young woman who graduated from Carnegie Mellon's Tepper school of thisiness. Oh, that's a fine school of business, and she's a scientist and now has an MBA and the rest of it. Out of more than two hundred and sixty applications, she received one hundred and twenty four rejection letters and ultimately never heard back from one hundred and sixteen companies, including several where she had already made it through two or three rounds of interviews, flown in to meet with executives, or tackled take home assignments that required several hours of work to prove that she was up to it.
Speaker 4: Do you most is just shocking getting ghosted like that? You got adult kids? Do you mostly apply for jobs online? Now? Almost entirely?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 5: At one point I would say, you know, go in person, shake a hand, look in their eye, tell them how much you'd like to work there. And I eventually became convinced if you do that, they will run you out of the store because you are a crack pot. Nobody's there who goes through the applications. They're busy. That's not the way it works. But now I understand because of the imperfections of internet hiring. Depending on you're talking about, it's it's flowed back the other way. Some Oh really you should go in. Yeah, I just I feel for people. I mean, this is this is terrible.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but I I've applied for jobs before in person and you fill out the form there in the little lobby and you hand it to the person and you just okay, well, well I'll show this to whoever put it on file or some means. No, I'm never going to hear from these people in my life. What am I doing? How am I going to eat?
Speaker 5: I do enjoy filling out the street address of my high school over and over again back in the day.
Speaker 4: Do they still ask that sort of question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't actually know. Uh.
Speaker 5: There's another article kind of similar in a way that we can all relate to. It is harder than ever to find real product recommendations online.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Great World War between fake reviews and trying to get rid of fake reviews, it's not going well.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Where are the Nazis in this situation? And we're calling on Steiner to turn back the Russians when Steiner's off the battlefield, it's it's miserable. Sorry, that's too bad. Yeah, it is, And it's frustrating.
Speaker 2: I've been.
Speaker 5: And I'm a skeptical guy, and I think I've got a really good eye for bullless. But man, is it getting tough and time consuming Because you get to something that looks, you know, really reliable. They spend a lot of timeline of energy, They have a video, they go through it and all, and then you find out that now they're sponsored by.
Speaker 4: These people, right yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And if I have a brand that does X amount of revenue, yeah, I'm going to pay somebody twenty five grand to spend two days putting together a video where they pretend to be a neutral, I don't know, guitar string appraiser or whatever.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I put together this barbecue grill AND's the best one I've ever had. And that's how they're getting paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Further complicating things is that search engines, including are particularly Google, often probably oritize the less reliable lists. In many cases, that's because, oh, we don't have time to explain bribery. In essence, Joe.
Speaker 4: Biden made me so angry last night, among other things, only wrong. And get first of all, this one of your major polls has Trumpet fifty percent approval. Now the highest he's ever been ever at any point since he got into politics in this particular poll, as is true with a whole bunch of other polls Gallup and others, Isn't that wow? Nobody predicted that? Indeed, TikTok. The whole story continues to be something. It's supposed to come to an end kind of this weekend, unless something intervenes or whatever. But anyway, young people have to espouse their opinions online. Here's one of those young people.
Speaker 1: So I downloaded red Note, and I'm no longer convinced that we are living in a first world country seeing the everyday lives of Chinese people, like obviously certain Chinese people are not sing everybody's lives, but it's just like insanely eye opening. There's something really remarkable that I had known about most of these Chinese people, even older people like people in their forties, fifty sixties, they look so much less traumatized than most Americans.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't fully understand Chinese culture at all, and I'm sure it varies a lot. It's a very very big place, but it's interesting seeing how lighthearted and kind and gentle these people are, especially in comparison to Americans.
Speaker 4: Can somebody put her in contact with the Some people don't have maps, a girl.
Speaker 5: There was one sentence in there that was unintentionally hilarious, and I hate to miss quote her because it was it was perfectly idiotic. I'm not completely up what, Michael, you got to play for me again, I've got to have this just right. I should have jotted it down, so I.
Speaker 1: Downloaded red note. And I'm no longer convinced that we are living in a first world country seeing the everyday lives of Chinese people, Like obviously they're Chinese people are not sting everybody's lives, but it's just like insanely eye opening. There's something really remarkable that I have noticed about most of these Chinese people, even older people, like people in their forty fifty sixties, they look so much less traumatized than most Americans. Now, I don't fully understand Chinese culture at all, and I'm sure there are a lot don't fully understand Chinese culture at all at all.
Speaker 4: But here's my opinion.
Speaker 2: What was the word fully doing in there.
Speaker 4: I don't fully understand Chinese culture at all, meaning you don't understand Chinese culture at all.
Speaker 2: You have no.
Speaker 5: Basis, no factual but no experience, no perspective, no education on which to base any opinion whatsoever. Well, not fully like I don't watch or play golf at all, but I think that I mean.
Speaker 2: Exactly my opinion.
Speaker 4: Course design emphasizes a bunker play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Great, people out there in our nation don't have that. And I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and Iraq everywhere, like such as.
Speaker 4: And the Iraq everywhere such as are not as traumatized as most Americans.
Speaker 5: Well, you're you're traumatized because you're raised like a veal calf and you're terrified of life.
Speaker 4: Now my uh, one of my really smart nieces who's in graduate school is that they're they're all TikTok people. And uh, when I'm mentioned the whole Chinese Communist Party thing, she said, that's a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 5: That the Chinese Communist Party can influence TikTok has anything to do with it, can yank bite dance is spying on your compiracy theory.
Speaker 4: Is spying on your information. That's but if that's what people think, then that's uh yeah, well that's what.
Speaker 2: They heard on TikTok exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where it gets complicated.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't.
Speaker 1: Fully understand Chinese culture at all.
Speaker 2: That's a funny sentence.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not fully acquainted with ceramics engineering at all.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that sentence. Now I don't.
Speaker 1: Fully understand Chinese culture at all.
Speaker 2: But here's what I think.
Speaker 4: Clearly, we all live in a first world country in China does because look at how less traumatized their people.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm not thoroughly qualified for abdominal surgery at all.
Speaker 4: Boss, he still hand me that scalful. We can get started if you'll hold still.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have never fully done ie surgery at all. But try not to flinch here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So Joe Biden gave a speech last night. I didn't watch it. I kind of thought I tried. I tried for a while. It was a soul suck man. Yeah, I knew it would be. I knew he'd be old and slurry and everything like that, and I expected it to be a nothing burger. I thought it would be kind of just the normal Joe bideny platitudes about this, and that it wasn't. Though he got into some grievances and warnings that were weird, Like the President of the United States shouldn't be saying this stuff unless he can back it up with some real evidence. For instance, this I.
Speaker 8: Want to warn the country some things and give me a great concern. This is a dangerous content, and that's a dangerous conversation of power in the hands of a few ultrawealthy people, the dangerous consequences if their abusive power is left unchecked. Today, an oligarchy is taking shape in America of extreme wealth, power and influence that literally threads our entire democracy are basic rights and freedoms and a fair shot for everyone to get ahead.
Speaker 4: He stated, as if it's obviously fact to him and his kind that an oligarchy has formed that is stopping people from being able to live out their lives. Okay, I haven't noticed that. Back that up with anything, dude. I mean, that's a hell of a thing to say. Luckily, we're into such the age of hyperbole and people saying crap all the time, it doesn't really land. I mean, it's not like it's a discussion today like it would have been if Bill Clinton had said that on his last day of office. We now live in an oligarchy would have been everybody talking about it the next day.
Speaker 2: What how? Where? Why? What do we do?
Speaker 5: But please the hilarity of Joe Biden. The Democrats suddenly highly concerned that billionaires are acting politically right.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, he gave George Soros the Medal of Freedom last week. Now the richest guy, Elon Musk, tweets things favorable to Trump, and we should all be frightened to death.
Speaker 5: I guess electric car, space exploration guy bad, Marxism guy good. That's your billionaire review from Joe Biden. Okay, And then this part was just crazy.
Speaker 8: I'm equally concerned about the potential rise of a tech industrial complex. I could pose real dangers for our country as well. Americans are being buried under an avalanche of misinformation and disinformation, enabling to abuse the power. The free press is crumbling. There's a disappearance social media is giving up on fact checking.
Speaker 2: The truth is.
Speaker 8: Sma, lies told for power and for profit. We must hold the social platform and accountable to protect our children, our families, and our very democracy from the abusive power.
Speaker 4: You literally bribed and browbeat people into lying and offering disinformation and misinformation and calling it fact checking you and your administration, and now you're weeping bitter tears over the decline.
Speaker 2: Of quote unquote fact checking. It's just too much. It really is.
Speaker 4: If I wanted to be somewhat partisan, although I don't think there's this partisan. The thing you just described as a horror was going on when you were in charge, and now we're moving away from.
Speaker 2: It, right because it was so awful, So you.
Speaker 4: Come up to threaten us or alert us to the horror of it going away from what you wanted. So my question I guess is does he understand that or not? Is he just a partisan? I mean, does he think when when he had people In case you haven't heard this, Mark Zuckerberg did Joe Rogan's podcast on Friday. In an interview, said to Joe Rogan that Biden White House people would call them up at Facebook and scream at them. Sometimes we're posting things that were flat out fact or satire or humor. Right, and Joe Biden's last night saying, and they're doing away with fact checking too much concentrated power. You misinformation. People are swamped in misinformation. You weren't allowing facts to be on Facebook when you were in charge, dude, So does he know that or not?
Speaker 5: We are fact checking and ending the careers of people who have said we should reopen the school sooner.
Speaker 2: We're helping America.
Speaker 5: I don't know, honestly, it's so outrageous it deserves a response.
Speaker 2: But a senile, miserable has been.
Speaker 5: Just voted out of office, leaving office with the lowest approval ratings of anybody but Dick Nixon.
Speaker 2: It's just just go away, just go away and shut.
Speaker 4: Up for that bat caur god. I was trying to find he say rest in peace, but he's been resting in peace for like the last three and a half years. I was trying to find. It happened over the weekend, so we haven't talked about it. This week. He did one of those shuffling you can't hardly hear him interview things where he said, yeah, on facebooks, do it a way of fact checking. This is awful for the country. It's just can you believe that? No fact checking?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Checking facts like natural immunities as good as vaccinated immunity. You couldn't say that thanks to the Biden administration. Thanks for the fact check, uncle, Joe.
Speaker 4: And so that's just nuts. He's either so out of it he doesn't understand, or he's even more partisan than I realized. And then he ended with an evil and then he ended with after fifty years of public service, and that just drove me nuts because he's he and his entire extended family got insanely wealthy. Do you get to call that public service if you got insanely wealthy? So it's just a coincidental byproduct of your public service.
Speaker 5: If you have the world's smartest crackhead lawyer making millions and millions of dollars from fourig and oligarchs, everybody's gonna get wealthy.
Speaker 4: Jack, I don't know you and your brother and everybody else extended on down to grandchildren. Everybody lives in all these different compounds, and the money gets spread around with all the LLC's. Thanks for your public service.
Speaker 2: Got so many shell companies.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the names of half of them, right, Yeah, public service lovely. Oh that reminds me. Here's a headline for you. I'm not sure we'll have time to get into this.
Speaker 2: Ah, there it is.
Speaker 4: Congressional Democrats portfolios spiked thirty one percent in twenty twenty four. Well I didn't do that well, which that which out did the S and P by seven percent or almost a third. Could you make the argument, well, those are you know, Congress people, they're they're they're smart, they're acquainted, they read the journal and the wappo, so they make better investment decisions than most of us. Or to make that argument, or they know about things that are going to happen before we know about them and can adjust their stocks accordingly.
Speaker 2: Take you because I don't want to rush through this.
Speaker 5: Got a report on the top stock gainers and what they invested in, plus what committees they sit on.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I put all my money in those gold Trump tennis shoes. Yeah, I'm hold onto them. I still think they're going to go up.
Speaker 2: I bought four roast to the Trump Bibles.
Speaker 4: For God's sake, we will finish strong next.
Speaker 9: College athletes can now make millions before ever going pro thanks to a set of NCAA rules called the NIL, which stands for Name, Image and Likeness. Since twenty twenty one, any athlete can profit from commercial endorsements, jersey sales, even autograph sessions. What's really changing the game, though, is another part of the program that's morphed into a monster athletes getting paid just to play. Schools are tapping deep pocketed alums and donors to pay millions to high level athletes, launching bidding wars for recruits, and raids by schools on each other's rosters. In twenty twenty four and estimated one point sixty seven billion dollars was spent on student athletes, and most of it on men's sports, more than a billion dollars estimated on college football, in about three hundred ninety million dollars for college basketball.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about this a lot. Do you think college sports is going to eat itself with this? Not that I think they have any option legally speaking, but or is it going to continue to be? Okay, I just I forget which Tiamo was, but one of the football teams had seventeen players that didn't play in their big bowl game.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, Well, and the stuff that that report was talking about specifically to your question, I don't know, And I wish I had a strong opinion on this because it's so interesting. But I have a number of buddies, golf buddies and other friends who are really big college sports fans, and their passion is undiminished.
Speaker 2: They talk about it all the time.
Speaker 4: Seems to be Yeah, that's basically right.
Speaker 5: For they're all in the matters and all. They're aware of it in all, but they're still super into it.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: And so what we've decided legally speaking, is all those years it was incredibly unfair to those college athletes that they weren't making any money. In some cases extreme examples. I mean, you think about some of the football players in basketball players particularly that went through back in the day three or four years at college is the biggest star in America and didn't get a cent.
Speaker 5: Right, and then you would lose your heisman for you know, accepting whatever.
Speaker 4: They drive a car, somebody lets you drop a car, Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 5: It's just ridiculous. You know, we didn't have time for another thing. We can get to tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Maybe is there's this big lawsuit about college admissions that reveals how the big elite universities really talk about the rich kids. They've had to give up emails and memos and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear that.
Speaker 4: Sameritocracy Well, there's Jack again, there's Joe Man. It's time to put the show out with the couple Kade Green and Michael Langelo.
Speaker 2: It's Stabby the clown Evan. There a radio, so let's hear they're final class people. They have to go.
Speaker 4: What is it about that makes us all so creeped out? Which sounder? Here's your host for final thoughts, Joe Getty.
Speaker 5: Let's get a finals off from everybody on the crew to wrap up the show for the day. There is our technical director, Michael Aigel. Michael final thought.
Speaker 2: All right, maybe you guys can help me out.
Speaker 4: Is it a tradition for them to the previous president to prank the incoming president, like by gluing the desk in the White House? Or I don't think so? Now No, I don't think there are any pranks involved. I should No, I think Obama's people did that, but they're snitty little beaches. Well remember when Clinton left and Bush came in, they took all the w's off all the keyboards, which is seen as horrible annoying. Katie Green has a final thought, Katie, on one more thing. Yesterday we talked about homemade butter, so I made it yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'll never buy butter again.
Speaker 4: Homemade butter's pretty so good. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: The flavor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got to look that up. Fabulous though on homemade Brad please please, you can die happy Jack. A final thought.
Speaker 4: My son beat me twice in chess last night so badly. I was in bed watching YouTube videos on chess, instructional videos and reading books to try to figure out how to get better. It was horribly embarrassing.
Speaker 5: My final thought is the percentage of people who say I'll let you know first thing tomorrow who actually let you know anything first thing tomorrow is roughly four percent. I'm trying to do a couple of deals in my god, it just look text me and say, hey, it's going to be another couple hours.
Speaker 4: I say, this is common courtesy.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to common courtesy?
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty wrapping up another grueling four hour workday, so many people to thank, so a little time, be courteous and go to Armstrong in getdy dot com. See tomorrow, got bless America. I will not be a party to this, folk, holy cow, so.
Speaker 2: Say it with me. See say wad way, folks, I'm going with this. No no, all right, well.
Speaker 8: It was bright idea?
Speaker 4: Was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot?
Speaker 2: Idiot? Man, I hope this is behind this. Everything was This is not a Kumbaya moment that I know. Thank you all very much, Armstrong and Getty