Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for dake Edo State. Is that? Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye, welcome back to the Solid Verbal, Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand joining me over there in beautiful New York City. You know him as Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you? Ty? I'm good.
Speaker 2: I just I Sometimes I wake up feeling like, now that we're talking Pack twelve today, you're not going to play right. I used to know. I used to really know this, but now it's just it don't feel right. Ty, I don't know what it is, and it's made me put away my pride.
Speaker 1: Ooh uh so long.
Speaker 2: Ty with this episode with the package Childish Gambino, This child is Childish Gambino.
Speaker 1: I don't know the name of the song Childish Gambino.
Speaker 2: It's it's Redbone, Redbone Daylight.
Speaker 1: How are you? Man? You know? Ty?
Speaker 2: Now that we have saved the best for last, and that would be Pack twelve discussion, I shouldn't say that because we're also talking Notre Dame. Uh and is that what we're doing. We're doing that right. We are doing our teams last Pack twelve and Notre Dame, which, if you're listening to this right now, get your grandparents in the room, okay, and this is.
Speaker 1: Just fu Okay, Grandpa, grab pop it the song. Verbal boys are going to talk Notre Day. Stop it, Grandpa. I'm yelling. The neighbors are coming out of their homes here, Grandpa. I'm excited to do this show. By the way, Yeah, I'm not going to yell breaking news to save my voice my energy for the remainder of this show. But people are going to be listening to this show, and there are going to be five college football games in the books already. You're going to hear this show on a Sunday, which means that I think we need to preemptively do some game recaps. Maybe once we get into our Stanford preview, we can do that because they're playing a game in did I see Australia, Sydney Australia. They already did time, Oh already played Stanford Rice. How about that one Oregon State, Colorado State hoo to funk wowsa, that's right. Another just houdah I didn't see that coming before. At forty thousand strong at Alliance Stadium in Sydney, Australia, Allians. Yeah, yeah, what do we call these games? By the way, we had someone email us or tweet us asking what the proper nomenclature is for these early season games? Are they appetizer games? Appartifs they're snacks? Sometimes you see on menu that there's snacks, appetizers, entree and the snacks are just like you know, deviled eggs or something that you wouldn't fully hall and appetizer just a bite like a finger food. Yeah, it's the scene in something about I'm just actually I'm not going to go there, Ty, I'm just not doing go there because it's a family program.
Speaker 2: We have grandparents listening. That's right, Grandpa, And yeah, it just snacks, the snacks.
Speaker 1: Well, if there are any Australian for ballers who will be there, they're already there. Tweet us let us know. We actually do have a fair amount of Australian for ballers who listen to the program, So send us pictures and tweets and all that fun stuff. If you were at the football game last night between Stanford and UH and Rice.
Speaker 2: What a fight between Connor McGregor and Floyd anyway, Holy Holy, they're not going to be able to show that one again.
Speaker 1: Very good, very good. All right, just making sure we cover all our base. Thank you. We do have a new home for our pickam pool. Shortly after we did the show on Wednesday, we were able to find a solution. Go to our web page, look at the posting for this particular episode. Look on Twitter, look on Facebook. The new link for the pick and Pool could be found there. Get in if you haven't already. People who got in the old Yahoo one. We're not going to be keeping tabs. Feel free to pick your games in there if you so desire. We will not be keeping tabs in that one. The official one has been moved elsewhere, So go to the website check it out again. We're on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all the hotspots. You can find all the information you need right there. Great job, Ty. So as you eluded Dan, We've got one conference left. We've got one big independent team left, Dan. That conference. That conference is the PAC twelve. Yep, that an independent team is you Mass. I would like to start in the south and go north. It can be our college football Nile River. Here, you will close out with Oregon and No Tree Dame. Okay, As we start in the South, I think it's fairly obvious that the team everyone's got their eye on is the USC Trojans, right. I think that's correct USC ten and three a year ago. Obviously, it starts with your twenty eighteen first overall draft choice, Sam Darnald, Dan crank up that dang hype machine. Yeah, that train is a chuggin. If you didn't already know every other miscellaneous fact about Sam Darnold, maybe about his grandfather being the Marlborough Man, or the fact that he played multiple sports in high school, any of that kind of stuff. If you didn't know it, you will soon. Here though, is the coolest if you didn't see it, we tweeted it. He is co hosting a podcast with our friend Yogi Roth. The season of Sam much better than the summer of Sam. I don't have anything to add about him on the field. His numbers last were remarkably consistent for what a red shirt freshman whatever he was. Yes, if you watched him, he's got a presence. There's a ton of reason to be excited, a ton of reason to think that he's really special. Do you have anything to add beyond that.
Speaker 2: As it relates to Sam Donald specifically, you know that he has the capability of being special. The thing that will affect Sam Donald though, and what his season looks like, is replacing a couple starters on the line that moved on to the NFL, replacing two big receivers and Juju Smith, Schuster and Darius Rogers, and the familiarity is. It's going to take a little bit of time, but he has a ton of young, speedy talent to work with, talent.
Speaker 1: The guys are stepping up because it's USC. I do worry about the line. I do worry about who he's throwing to. I like that he's got Ronald Jones back. That should provide USC with some big playability on the ground. Defensively, there's a little turnover at all three levels of their defense, but there is a ton of talent coming back there as well. I thought about going doodle alert on Cam Smith because he's weirdly like Anonymous despite being a star middle linebacker. Yeah, I mean, the injuries have hurt, yeah, but I'm excited about the potential for this defense with some new guys stepping up again. You'll lose guys like Adorri Jackson and there are some others, but I still feel pretty good as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you nailed it. Rasheem Green is legitimately a Pac twelve star. Along the defensive line, very good. I think he led he All returning tacklers are led by Rasheem Green. Yes, you're right. Cam Smith is very good. Port Augustin is probably their best pass rushing option. They've recruited very well in the secondary. Really, if there is a weakness to this USC team, I think it is the speed. And that is not to say that there's not talents, which there very clearly is, and I'm not worried that they're going to be at all a letdown, but it is working in new receivers and perhaps the back end. They gave up some big plays last year, and there is a little bit of inexperience that could be a little bit concerning. Because the level of quarterbacking in the Pac twelve is pretty high, if not the highest in the country. So if you're going to nitpick, those are small issues because the talent is so high in LA and there's consistency along the coaching staff, and this is you know, it's crazy to say, given what we saw with Sark and before that Lane Kiffin. This is Clay Helton's team. He has a good staff in there. So USC is probably the team I'm worried about the least. Other than that schedule without a bye week, the.
Speaker 1: Schedule's kind of right in that goldilocks zone. If you're looking to make a title run. It's not too easy, not too ridiculous. Home against Texas at Notre Dame the non conference. Yeah, and that Texas is a week after Stanford, right correct. Tougher games not impossible, good non conference opponents home against Stanford. Week two, huge game home against Utah home I use air quotes here against Ucla. Those might be their toughest conference games.
Speaker 2: I have the Wazoo game circled Wazoo could be interesting as well.
Speaker 1: Friday night game. I like that they get Stanford early, but the road schedule, look God, Cal at Cal at Wazoo, the Friday night game at ASU at Colorado the week before you s like, could be a bit of a sleeper. But buying large, this is pretty damn workable.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's fine. They missed Washington and organ as we know, and yeah, it's fine. I just the no bye week feels like a trip up. They have the non buffer situations with UH with Stanford, Texas and Utah going and going to Notre Dame. That's that's the sort of the circle area that I have. But yeah, this is this is a team that has very little in the way of worries, and that Wazoo game is a little bit interesting also because Wazoo's weakness, and we'll get to it, is the secondary most likely, and USC has newer, greener receivers, and Wazoo has all sorts of great weapons on the outside, and USC has you know, some guys to work in in their own secondary. So fun matchup.
Speaker 1: USC goes eleven and one in the regular season and they lose to Texas in Week three. Whoa, that's my prediction.
Speaker 2: I have eleven and one losing to either Wazoo or Utah. I could see both of those. But how do you solve a problem like Utah if you're USC. I think they've lost one two of the last three years to the Utes. Kyle Whittingham, I've never numbered out that problem. I've got Utah going seven and five this year, which means inevitably they'll go nine and three.
Speaker 1: Yep, every year they outperform every year. I've got a loss to Texas here. I think USC makes the Pac twelve Championship. I will decide at the end of the show whether or not they're going to beat Washington in that game.
Speaker 2: May I say on USC briefly, please? How does USC compare in your mind to other teams that are regarded in a similar way nationally? So Florida State, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State. I don't know if I'm forgetting Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Perhaps. I think I feel better about pretty much all of those teams, with the exception of Clemson. And it may have very little to do with actual talent and more to do with the fact that USC always burns us when we have expectations. Not just us, everybody, everybody, not just us, right, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I think I like USC more than Oklahoma, agreed, all things equal. I like the talent that USC has on defense more so than what Oklahoma has. And I like I love Ronald Jones. We even mentioned that love Ronald Jones, and I think I like them. I like them better than Clemson as well. And I really do like Clemson, So that's where I'm drawing my line. I think USC is about the third or fourth best team in the country.
Speaker 1: Moving on, let's go to Colorado. Dan ten and four, Okay, ten and four a year ago came a bit out of nowhere. Mike McIntyre Coach of the Year. Colorado just went gangbusters. It was a great season this year. We've got Philip Lindsay coming back at running back very nearly mydod alert very nearly, twelve hundred yards, sixteen touchdowns. Also, Shay Fields coming back at wide out, big play guy ninety six targets, nine touchdowns a year ago. I look on defense, though, and I look at the fact that so many defensive playmakers have now left the program. Jim Levitt included, Yes, I look at sef olufou leaving in the veteran presence he brought to the offense as a bit of an issue. They've got some turnover on both lines. The schedule is just kind of okay. It feels like a necessary step back. A program headed in the right direction, but a necessary step back by default. I'll go seven to five.
Speaker 2: Pretty good schedule, Colorado, I would add it, and I think all your points are correct. They lose a ton on defense. We saw the guys in the secondary get drafted. How good they were for Jim Levitt up front, And yeah, the safe of loofoul thing was a big deal, although he seemed to like die in the third quarter of every other game, so they are used to playing with Adam Steven Montes did a good job in relief mostly and schedule wise, the non conference isn't bad. They have a neutral sych game against Colorado. They traveled to UCLA, which Ucla has a stupid talented defense, but you know, TBD on offense under Jedfish and the Rose Bowls not the most difficult place to play at Oregon State at Wazoo, at Arizona.
Speaker 1: State at Utah.
Speaker 2: So the fact that they get USC at home, they get Washington at home, and they miss Oregon. Who I mean, Oregon's going to be okay. They're nothing special, but they have the capability to look good at times. So a decent enough schedule I think. I think seven five, eight and four, which honestly tie again where Colorado was oh my god years ago.
Speaker 1: I would take that in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Seven and five coming after huge losses on one side of the ball.
Speaker 1: Wow. Great, cool, and you never know too. I mean, there really is some skill talent that's still in Colorado. It's not like the cover's totally bare. Oh. Steven Montez, as you mentioned, he looked pretty good in limited action last year around mid season when he had a fill in. I thought he was doing a half eason job. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Mike McIntyre, you know Rocky off season four. I mean not for him for much more important people, but off field stuff aside, done a really good job on field stuff. I'm saying seven and five were you're saying seven and five, I'm gonna say one, two, three, four, five, six, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: It in four. Wow. Okay, Well, I hope so like Colorado, I hope so. Yeah, Let's go to Utah. Staying in the Southern Division of the PAC twelve. Utah went nine to four a year ago. Dan Kyle Whittingham announced a few days ago that he's going to give the keys to sophomore Tyler Huntley at quarterback, which was a bit of a surprise that he didn't announce senior Troy Williams. They do, of course, lose Joe Williams their running back who went to the forty nine ers, But it'll be a new look now for Utah. They also have a new offensive coordinator, Troy Taylor, who wants to run more of an up tempo passing attack. I'm excited about their defense. I think their defense will be able to harass and disrupt opposing quarterbacks. But can we get that hot coal sound out again that we used in our SEC preview when we're talking about LSU, Can we get that out? Can we talk about Kyle Whittingham and how well he'd fare in that situation.
Speaker 2: Among PAC twelve head coaches, Moro would be gone instantly. Yeah, I think rich trod and Todd Graham gone instantly. Clay Helton might be alright. Whittingham would be gangbuster. Yeah, he wouldn't even would be okay, not great. You know who I think would do pretty well? One hundred yards of burning hot, scalding colds, scalding Coles, Garry Anderson. I feel like there's a discipline sleeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to be disciplined to coach at Oregon State. Yeah. Here here is Utah's schedule. They could very easily start four to oh play North Dakota on the road at BYU in the Holy War. Always a tough game, but they could win that game San Jose State and then at Arizona, right, but then there's a bye and then things get weird. Stanford at USC, Arizona State at Oregon, Ucla, Wazoo at Washington, and they finish up with Colorado. That's a stretch, man, That is a stretch to close out your college football season.
Speaker 2: They look like, as you said, they look like a seven and five team that will somehow go eight and four, nine to three, just because the strength of that The defensive front is very real, even without Hunter Dimmick, who basically tackled everybody and owned every backfield last year, in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: But lolatulle or lodu leile loll lotulele. I prefer lod to leile loll.
Speaker 2: I mean, could you imagine if loll lotulele played a lol volun not be fun for me so much alliteration.
Speaker 1: But defensively, they're going to be very good.
Speaker 2: A little bit worried about the secondary, but utfront they are in a very dominant space. Worried about the offensive line to somewhat of an extent, and quarterback is a big mystery to me. Troy Taylor, as you mentioned, comes over from Eastern Washington where they had a wide open passing attack. And here's the thing not to discount as well, even with as much turnover as as there is on offense, Utah ads Darren Carrington, who has been a dominant pack twelve received when he is on the field. We saw him light up Florida State and Stanford. He shows up for big games. So he will be making the trip back to Oddson after being kicked off the team, and that's a good place to start if you are He's a sophomore, right Huntley. Yeah, it's a good place to start with a grad transferred star receiver available to you. So, yes, I like Utah. This is just another Utah team. That's a very obvious statement, but I think people understand what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: I hope they can accomplish a little bit more of an up tempo passing attack.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be a neat look for Utah. Me huge help to the defense big time. Well if it succeeds.
Speaker 1: If it succeeds, yeah, and if they're not going three and out more often than they usually would, and then yes, yeah, but we'll see. Okay, Ucla they went four and eight, part of the four and eight club from a year ago. You know, the club, ty not really not a grouping of teams that people are concerned about with that record. Josh Rosen, he was nicked up. His sophomore year did not go as well as it was supposed to. He's healed up though, he's back this year. And Dan very nearly a Fantasy Things selection was Josh we selected, you selected Josh Rosen in his hot takes late. Yeah, Josh Rosen on his third offensive coordinator, also something that we very closely considered.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, absolutely, Josh Rosen's in a good place. I'm the line was pretty atrocious last year, which is not a good sign. No real pass catcher stepped up, not a great sign. There's talent there. They couldn't run the ball at all. So so Jamaba will be the guy again. I don't think last year was his fault. They were just incredibly inefficient offensively, particularly or most notably after Josh Rosen went down. But here is the wonderful news, Tye. And this is I say this with earnest nature. This defense is stupid talented.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Tom scrap Bradley, Tom Scrapradley, Yeah, Tom scrap Bradley.
Speaker 2: They lose a couple of you literal huge places along the line, but they've recruited incredibly where while they're including the number one overall recruit in the country Phillips. Yeah, so he should at least situationally wreak havoc at times. And I think they got the number one corner in the country. And Darnay Holmes, who if you watched him play, is sort of like fly paper like that. Well, he's stuck on you there it is.
Speaker 1: That's that.
Speaker 2: And they're just across the board. They've rec you know, they lose pieces in the secondary, and they bring in four more. Kenny Young is as good a middle linebacker perhaps the side of a Zeem Victor in the conference. There, they're just they're gonna lie if the offense does anything.
Speaker 1: Tie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is going to be a top twelve defense in the country.
Speaker 1: You would think that Jed Fish could build a passing attack with Josh Rosen, You would think, you know, I mean, he did it with Jake Rudoc at Michigan. He should be able to do it with Josh Rosen, a demonstrably better quarterback at UCLA. He's got an experienced group of wide outs, Darren Andrews, Jordan Lasley. But who's good? Who's good? Are any of them? I don't know. They're hair old, experience roots, they're experienced. Okay. He's got a running game that needs to get a lot better. And this is something that we can't just pan over. They were terrible at running the football, real real bad. A lot returning at running back, a lot returning along the offensive line. They need to figure that out.
Speaker 2: I got a grad transfer in from Miami, so they're they're trying, they're shoring up. Oh here's the other thing, Ty, we got to pour out. I don't know, are you drinking anything?
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 2: I've got water, just had some. I had some lemon ginger tea And that's not a good thing to pour out. But Jet Fish going to UCLA to run their offense means the end of the Michigan Ohio State photoshop War between Jet oh Smith and Wow. A lot of good men were lost tie in the photoshop War of six twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen, and I don't know who won that war. But I know who lost that war, and that was America. It was an embarrassment for everybody.
Speaker 1: We've got two teams left in the Pac twelve seuth, both of the Arizona schools. Dan, run me through your favorite Arizona school.
Speaker 2: I guess Arizona State. The quarterback situation is a little bit more settled. Defensively, they've got to be better and healthier. They bring back I think the defense. Yeah, the defense brings back a good amount of guys. They just struggled last year. So that's one of the experience. Is it good, That's one of those questions. But Arizona State as playmakers. They have one of the best receivers in the conference in Nikhil Harry. He is a big body and catches a lot, has a very large catching radius. And if they can figure out a quarterback, I don't know, if they haven't named a quarterback at the time of this recording, it's gonna be Blake Barnett or Manny Wilkins.
Speaker 1: Right now, it looks more like Manny Wilkins.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he looks to be the option, a more dual threat option perhaps for ASU. So I'm going to go with that. They have a new defensive coordinator and Phil Bennett who comes over from Baylor, new offensive coordinator comes over from Alabama, and Billy Napier at least a co offensive coordinator. So talent wise, I think Arizona State is in a better place quarterback place, In terms of passing the ball down field, I think they're in a better place. And line play, especially on defense, certainly isn't a better place. So I am with ASU. The schedule doesn't seem terrible. There's another shootout at Texas Tech. Last year was in Tempe, but the schedule seems all right enough. It just seems mixed to me. So ASU has nothing to blame whatever happens in twenty seventeen. They have nothing to blame except just on themselves.
Speaker 1: I think the overriding theme for ASU is that there's a ton of potential on that team and it's all very young. They were so beat up last year. Beat up. Twenty seventeen is not going to be the year they quote unquote turn it around. They might build for twenty eighteen this season. I think that's Lane Kiffin, well for Lane Kiffin, for Chim Kelly. Who knows where the rumors take US, Yeah, but I don't think this is their year to be world beaters. But I like the talent. There is talent there which is exciting. The other school in the Pac Twell South would be Arizona Dan. They went three to nine last year. I like Nick Wilson at running back. I like their running game. I don't like anything in their defensive front seven because they lose a ton and I am not feeling very optimistic about the direction of this program now under Rich Rodriguez, I really liked and I think I still like the higher of Marceliates to sort of overhaul the defense after they parted ways with Jeff Castile.
Speaker 2: Who of course ran his three three five Marcelliates running more of a nickel four two five type look a hybrid type defense. It was a mess last year, it really was, and getting talented Tucson has been an issue. Figuring out identity on both sides of the ball has been an issue. And when you look at the backfield combinations that they have available to them, so that would be either Brandon Dawkins or Khalil Tait or the thirty seven year old minor league baseball player who has come in any combination of at least those first two guys and Nick Wilson. I don't know if you remember JJ Taylor from last year. Yeah, of course played, and yeah in Nick Wilson instead, little guy and is so quick, the tiny little burst that he has, he gets from the backfield to the second level and what he feels like like what's the name of the Dalson warping in Street Fighter too, He's just warping to the second level and he got beat up because he is sort of tiny. But when he is operating, he is one of the more fun players to watch in this conference. But the problem is literally everything else. They feel like team like they should be running like the veer or the triple option or something and just steer into you a unique look, and I just it's it's gonna be another long year.
Speaker 1: I fear in Tucson. Not optimistic in Tucson. No, ok maybe they get to four or five wins. I don't know, Dann. Let's go North. Okay, are you seeing a loss on the Husky schedule this year? Washington? You didn't last year? Do I see a loss? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably a loss. I'm not sure I do really well listen schedule wise, No, sc right during the regular season. Right, who else do they miss in the South? I think maybe one of the Arizona. Yeah, they don't play Arizona. Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Talk about a great, great success story from last year. They won eleven and one in the regular season. They lost at home to usc but they still made the Pac twelve championship game. They clobbered Colorado by thirty one, won the conference. Then they go on they play Alabama and the College Football Playoff. They lost by seventeen. But as a whole fair to say Washington was still underrated in that they weren't taken seriously the whole way through. We got a couple weeks out from the playoff and people at least here on the East Coast were trying to find wayte to doubt Washington.
Speaker 2: And not their fault either. Not there if everybody they played had bad years, so they put seventy on everybody.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's just my team. Now as we turned the calendar to twenty seventeen, Look, there is virtually no reason to doubt this offense. Everybody is back outside John Ross.
Speaker 2: They did struggle once the talent level got higher. On defense, they did not throw the ball at all well against Colorado, which did certainly had NFL talent in the secondary. They didn't do all that much against USC, and they the offense struggled a ton upfront, especially against Alabama, which means they can go eleven and one again, he's without a doubt easily. But I don't know that they've gotten so much better on offense that they can they can overcome when they have to play Ohio State or Clemson or Florida State or even USC in the Pac twelve Championship game like that, to me is still very much an issue that it's just going to take a little bit more time to address. But here's the good news. Tie, here's the outstanding news. For as glitchy as the numbers that Jake Browning put up, certainly with the help of John Ross, but Jake Browning is one of the best five quarterbacks in the country, if not higher. This team was led by its defense and that's what came to play against everybody, and the fact that they do lose a ton of key pees in the secondary is concerning. But Taylor rap should step right in at safety and be outstanding. We saw him come on late. They get Azee Victor back who decided to come back after injury, and they have I think, without a doubt, the best inside defensive line duo in the conference through the Yeah, yeah, vide Vea and Greg Gaines are as good a duo as there is. So they're in a fantastic place. They need to sort of figure out pass rushers. But I love Pete is it Quitkowski something like that, the defensive coordinator who followed Chris Peterson from Boise. Yeah, it's outside of you know, the UCLA game and traveling to Stanford. Their road schedule is nothing because even going to Stanford, that's not a difficult place to play. It's not a hornet's nest as you like to say. So schedule is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Offense is loaded, front seven is loaded. Secondary has has some questions, a lot to replace back there. But yeah, the strength is a schedule. You got I think only one losable game at Stanford.
Speaker 2: Ty stop me. When we get to a team you're positive we'll score twenty points against Washington Okay, yep, at Rutgers, Montana, Fresno State at Colorado, Okay, just waiting there, at Oregon State, cal No, Okay, at Arizona State UCLA.
Speaker 1: Maybe, Okay, maybe, so.
Speaker 2: It took to Halloween to get to maybe a team scoring twenty points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, it's.
Speaker 2: A good schedule again at Stanford, Utah Wazoo. So yeah, it's a very good schedule. I am gonna go twelve and ohero regular season. I don't know what happens when they play USC in the Pac twelve championship game. I'm inclined to go Washington at first glance, and I think maybe I'll stick with that. I could be swayed from that position, but I'm pretty high in this team. I like the fact that they have so much coming back on offense, and I still feel really good about about their defense. With the schedule that they've got before them, I don't feel like there are a whole lot of teams in there that can burn them through the air. I feel have them losing to either UCLA or on the road against Stanford.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, I could see that. No USC on there though, That's that's a big thing. I'm high on Washington right now, one of my four playoff teams. Cool, let's go to Stanford. Talk to me about Stanley. Actually, you know what, so this show again go on up went it's it's Sunday morning. Oh my god, what a weekend. But there's still time left before work. Stanford will be one to know by the time people hear this. So off off the cuff. This is not prescripted. God, I want them to lose. Now off the cuff. Yeah, let's record record a game recap? Okay, sure, sure? Games in Australia. Three two Dan? You know on Saturday night or should I say Sunday morning? Down under? M H Stanford? Uh thirty eight? Rice ten Dan, really nice Stanford performance.
Speaker 2: I reckon It was a croc plotting down on that gest.
Speaker 1: Do they say reckon in Australia? I think so? I know. I know they call it Australia. I know that from the Foster's commercials when they said Australian for beer, right, But I'm terrible at doing accents, so I'm not gonna try.
Speaker 2: I think it's you. You replace the letter I with oh I. Oh that's where they're like, you call the add a noife.
Speaker 1: Humhmm. Yeah. I'm very bad at impressions. Can I be real with you for a second here, please, This is a real place, tie for real people. It's a little embarrassing to emit this before tens of thousands of people, But I believe that your raging, perpetual throbbing Stanford boner is officially contagious. How you getting a whiff? I don't know how I caught it from you? Oh? Man? I can you catch it from an Can you catch it from a handshake? Ty? You can catch it from a handy? Absolutely? No, no handshake? Different? Oh different, different thing? Yeah, it flies, tie it flies, man. I am in on the Cardinal this year. I am all in. What has you lathered up? First off? I love the fact that they've got an identity. Okay, they're gonna beat you up. They're gonna pound it down your throat. We're gonna set up play action and they're just gonna play defense, and they're gonna find a way to win nine or ten games. I love their defense this year. They're gonna be so difficult to move the football against up front. I'm a little worried, but they're tough to move the football against in the back seven at a minimum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all reasonable. I'm myself. I'm very high on Stanford. It mostly has to do with the defense. I think offensively, they'll be fine, but they may have the best linebacking corps in the conference unless you really believe in USC, and that's fine too, I'll accept that answer. Their secondary looks incredible. The offensive line is ridiculously deep, I know, a shocker to everybody. Bryce Love, as you mentioned, should be very good. You won't be Christian McCaffrey, but very few people are. If it's not Keller christ who's coming back from an injury, it'll be one of two blue chips waiting in the wings. The red shirt freshman's name is kJ Costello, who I know a lot of people are big on. They've got good receiving targets. They've bought like seven to five star tight ends battling it out. It feels like a very Stanford year. September is tough, and that's just what Stanford does. They lose a game in September and that's fine. They have USC on the road. Excuse me, in week two after the austral Well, I guess it's like two weeks after the Australia trip. Yeah, they have UCLA a couple of weeks later at San Diego State. I am not up to date on the Aztecs. I know don l Pumfrees gone. I also know that they had, for the most part, an excellent defense last year. They're not They're probably not going to lose to San Diego State, but it's on the road.
Speaker 1: It's in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Who knows, it's a it's a garbage stadium, so that could affect things. They Other than that, they're pack twelve schedule pretty great. They've Oregon at home, they have Washington at home, they have calum the big game at home, they travel to Utah, and they finish with Notre Dame at home. We will get to but I mean having two of the three best teams on their schedule at home.
Speaker 1: Fine, great. I feel ten and two. I or the losses USC week two. If you're going to get Stanford, get them early. I think a week two loss against USC at USC and then I think a against Washington in a war, a close game, a war. I feel better about what Washington has in terms of veteran leadership on their offense to get the job done. Okay, then I do Stanford, but I think that's a war of a game ten and two, ten and two regular season.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that'll be the the Washington offense against the Stanford defense will have to be a better performance from the Stanford defense this year. But there are a ton of upperclassmen on this Stanford defense, so it should be fun.
Speaker 1: Ten and two for me. Yeah, Wazoo, Dan, talk to me about Wazoo.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wazoo is the wild card team once again, and that's you know, that's Mike Leach's destiny is to keep producing the ultimate wild card. Although this Mike Leach team almost feels even Leachier than normal. They could run the ball like really well for an air raid team short of what West Virginia has done the past couple of years, and somewhat with with Oklahoma State. So here's my feeling about Wazoo. Luke Fawk somehow still in college. Yeah, God bless Van Wilder. Don't love the offensive line, love the trio of running backs. They lose a couple of big wide receivers, but they throw it to like seventy three dudes in a year, so that's not something I'm terribly concerned about. Defensively, guess what they have, Tye, Please try to guess.
Speaker 1: They've got a really good front seven and a really questionable secondary. I'm going to stop you right there. They've got a dude. Oh oh oh, who got who do we got? Who do we got? Pay it with me? Ty Hercules Mataafa Yeah him. So he is a complete terror.
Speaker 2: He rushes the quarterback extraordinarily well in that sort of rush and outside linebacker hybrid role that he plays in that Alex Grinch defense. He is so fun to watch and blocking him is it's more of a suggestion than it is a completion, and he is.
Speaker 1: He is that good.
Speaker 2: So Washington State, even with deficiencies in the back, like we mentioned, they terrorize backfields. They produce negative plays. Our friend Bill Connolly was writing about this in his preview, and if you are going to give up big plays, it's probably wise to be able to generate negative plays at the same time to balance things out and set yourself up for turnovers. In Washington State, for the most part, they struggled against the better teams on their schedule, but they took advantage of bad and struggling teams. I will the Oregon game almost hurt more than it did watching Oregon against Washington and Washington score seventy because this is Wazoo and I am a dumb, condescending Oregon fan. But my god, were they good in that game? So I like Wazoo. I have concerns that will lead to losses, but they're gonna be real fun again this year. Luke Fwawk is like, I don't know, somewhere over four thousand yards away from being a top five yardage quarterback in college football ever, so good for him.
Speaker 1: He could challenge five thousand yards this year. Who it's within reach. They return a lot, They return a lot, and I don't know if you mentioned it. If you, I apologize, I'm going to reiterate. Their front seven is surprisingly good and Mike Leach does this thing where he tries to get his defenses. They give up yards right, and the secondary this year, of course, is questionable, but they try to create negative plays and forced turnovers, and that's fun to watch as a fan. It's fun to watch because if they're making plays, they're big ones. So I'm excited about them. I'm feeling seven five, eight and four somewhere in that range. I'm I'm gonna go more eight and four than seven and five, though, Yeah, I think that's right. I'm good with that. Oregon State, Yeah, Oregon State went five and seven a year ago. I like their running back situation this year. I don't like their rush defense this year. I also don't like their schedule, which is extremely challenging. Otherwise though, I like what Gary Anderson's doing. I think he is positioning the Beavers quite well for the future. It's just gonna be a bit of a rebuilt.
Speaker 2: It's an impossible schedule, and you're right. Last year teams ran through Oregon's defensive line like they were a not even below average. They were a very poor red rover team. They were just they were not good at putting up the wall. Oregon State the talent level has certainly increased. Their backfield is totally underrated. They have probably one of the best two or three backfields and the conference. Ryan Knall is very good. Thomas Tyner, who you'll remember was a starter at Oregon a couple of years ago, retired, is back. They have I think a TCU transfer now there, so they should be able to move the ball if the offensive line improves. Jake Luton is the quarterback. He was at Idaho and then went to a JC and so he is sort of an unknown quantity. But they should incrementally improve. But yeah, as you were sort of alluding to, might not reflect on the final record. I don't think they're making a bowl game this year.
Speaker 1: Also, did you know that Jake Luton is six'? Seven is that? True that is one hundred percent. True, finally the new Brock osweiler on The west coast love. It. YEAH i Like Oregon state for the. Future tough schedule though this. Year. Yeah also in The pac Twelve, north let's go To. Cal cal's got a new. Coach they went five and seven a year. Ago they Hired Justin wilcox away From. Wisconsin, right he was their defensive. Coordinator, yep he went out and he Hired Bo, baldwin who was a NOTED fcs coach At Eastern. Washington, right that's. True. Yep the red field another situation where, DEFENSIVELY i think you got to ask. Questions their road schedule is extremely. Difficult they're just young across the. Board on, offense they've got an entirely new offensive. Line this is not going to Be cal's, year which gives me all the more reason to pick my. Dude, yeah my dude From, cal Gimme Demetrius Robertson dan Former Notre dame, commit hemmed and hawed, around eventually decided that he was going to go To. Cal not a bad place to. Be he had ninety, targets seven hundred and sixty seven yards and seven touchdowns a year. AGO i think he factors in in a big way on their. OFFENSE i just agree just Because i'm worried about quarterback for The Cal faris and that to us to throw him the ball.
Speaker 2: Tie i'm a little bit worried about a lot of things With cal's, offense BUT i think it'll eventually be all. Right there's some talent. THERE i also Like Melkie's stovall and, defensively, yes they're not where they were a couple of years ago in terms of it being a total dearth of. Talent the talent level certainly has. Increased it's not where it needs to be to start competing week, out weekend and week out in THE pac Twelve.
Speaker 1: North but The tim De ruter hire is very.
Speaker 2: Nice he comes over former head, Coach Bo, baldwin former head, coach SO i like what appears to be the stability and foundation for the. FUTURE i like the staff a whole. Lot Steve greatwood who was the long long Time oregon offensive line, coach takes over FOR, cal and you, know is very good at identifying talent that isn't necessarily blue chip coming out of high school but develops into high level. Players SO i think they did a really good job in terms of pointing the program in the right. Direction but this, year first of, all weird non conference. Schedule, Time, yeah At North, carolina then they Host Ole miss and that's a week BEFORE, usc and then they go To oregon and To Washington Washington state back at, Home so it's a Rough september and through Mid. OCTOBER i, guess and you, know what what we can get from THIS cal season because it's probably not going to make a bowl, Game but what we can get is what they look like near the end of the, year and if there's a spark of, this if there's a, oh a glimmer of, that that is what we can take. AWAY i think they're recruiting pretty well all things. Considered So i'm just in Late October, november let's see what potential looks like FOR. Cal and if there's some optimism there because of what happens later on in the, season that's.
Speaker 1: Great that's. Why that's why you get a good, Dude Demetrius. Robertson you got to give him something to look forward. To this is the he was the guy that was he the guy That Brian kelly. Like they drove the bus all day down To. Georgia, yep well it almost. Worked it almost. Worked it was a noble. EFFORT a lot of it was fun on social, media but he ultimately decided to go to. Call so we wish. Him whill had a good season last year and he is he is MY pac twelve.
Speaker 2: Dude good food At. Berkeley by the, way have you been To?
Speaker 1: Berkeley never?
Speaker 2: Been no Man chinese? Food you can eat Good mexican bake Sale betty for great fried.
Speaker 1: Chicken it's good. Food college. Town we got one team left here in the Package. North where is MY i do have a? Sound, oh oh my. God The Oregon, Ducks, dan part of the four and eight. Club, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. BILL i don't think people look at it as a. Club AND i will congratulate you, though for being the first person to tie Together oregon being The ducks and the video Game.
Speaker 2: Duck we've had that sound for three, Years, DAN i know for three. Years i'm still congratulating, You willie taggered after going four and. Eight getting rid Of Mark helfrich also, important though not as. Flashy we talked about it when we Mentioned, colorado but they did Bring Jim levitt over to coach their. Defense he will have his work cut out for, Him, dan because the defense was pretty damn bad last. Year, so big, PICTURE i Think oregon's doing very very good things and what they hired and what they are doing schematically with their offense and, defense and their return a promising young quarterback And Justin. Herbert the hires were. Great they're recruiting obviously very. WELL i think they're in the top, ten top, five. Whatever looking. Forward but we're talking about this, season and here's what we know About oregon this. Season Justin herbert should be pretty. Good he was playing behind a very experienced and what should be maybe the strength of the. Offense in the offensive, line they return four or five, starters Including Ryl crosby who's very good at left. Tackle they have a very good running back In Royce freeman who could Set oregon, records and a couple really good guys behind. Him their week at receiver and that was made weaker By Darren carrington being kicked off the, team so they will be working in a lot of. Youth the number one receiver will probably be looks Like Dylan, mitchell who was a big promising kid From tennessee a couple of years. Ago the problem is they have the capability of being very good on offense because of those. Players they really, do and if you look at the efficiency, numbers it tells a story of they should be able to score forty plus points per. Game the problem is you take the good with the. Bat as we talked about on OUR sec preview With, arkansas this defense is at least a year away from being respectable because talent, wise it's not. There they infuse the defensive line with A clemson transfer In Scott. PAGANO i, THINK i know they got ANOTHER jc guy in recently who had been committed To missouri last. Minute but they have a really good linebacker and the secondary is gonna be pretty rough. Again they're gonna try to work in some younger, guys but playing Against Jake, browning playing Against Josh, ROSEN i think they miss usc but even still they're gonna give up. Points so if they Are bowl, eligible WHICH i think they should. BE i think they're in like six and, six seven and five. Range, yeah if they get to that, point you'll be hearing a lot OF i barely survived that. Call, YEAH i sort of got. Akil that's any good. POINT i can't do it. Anymore are You are you going to be staying up for these late?
Speaker 1: Games? Yeah, PROBABLY i mean it.
Speaker 2: DEPENDS i didn't stay up for the second half of The cow game last, year And i'm kind of GLAD i. Didn't but it's it's gonna be forty nine to forty five's one way or the. Other, Right it just it's gonna be a very big twelve year For. Oregon you Got Royce freeman to. Watch though he's exciting Have Royce. Freeman there's some some fron freshmen coming in and hopefully defensively they at least show off show up in three four, games they're, like, oh they just forced a three and.
Speaker 1: Out let's cherish. This let's make sure we never. FORGET i kicked around Calling Charles nelson either the full or Half. Nelson he's a maddening, player by the, way so maybe just. Half then he's a player that if he were On Notre.
Speaker 2: Dame outside Of Notre dame, fans people would be, like, oh he's pretty. Fun he played on, defense. Offense they use him in a variety of. Ways but if you watch Every oregon game With Charles, nelson you're, like will you please just stop dropping?
Speaker 1: Pons? Yeah please, please please?
Speaker 2: Please and, so, yeah he's sort of, madding but when he is, on he is he is really.
Speaker 1: Fun he's. GOOD i also Workshopped Tony Brooks james As TONY bj But i'm deciding against that. ONE a little two mobster just not not. Suitable Tony brooks. Flames, oh he averaged like seven or eight yards per carry last. YEAR i do like. IT i do like.
Speaker 2: Him he's built in sort of the More Michael, James Kenyon barner. Mold, okay so we're feeling six and, six seven and.
Speaker 1: Five will he? TECH i think. So, yeah it'll be a very big twelve year For. Oregon one of the fantasy things that we did not draft Is Willie taggart's connection To Jim harball and The harbor. Fam the fact that he's kind of a de Facto. Harrball he played At Western kentucky Under Jack. Harball for four years he was a. Starter that's the kind of thing where If oregon puts a few wins, together or if it does something interesting, that my, friends is a college game day feature By Tom ornaldy waiting to.
Speaker 2: Happen so their schedule starts, out it's fine because they It's Southern Utah nebraska at. Home excuse, Me nebraska and the god tenorly.
Speaker 1: That's, right that's.
Speaker 2: Right they go To, woming which is going to be, tricky But wyomi's defense isn't. Great they go To Arizona, state which is probably they're probably going to be better than they were than they were last year When oregon beat them Cal Washington state at. Home so before That Washington state, game sure they could be five and oh and get a game day segment before comp it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen, Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah back half of the, schedule especially sort Of october Early november At stanford AT ucla and That's Washington state before Then utah At. Washington that's a tough. Stretch that, is if they can, go if they can go two and three in that five game, stretch that's. Gravy that's complete. Gravy so, yeah it'll be it's a transition reboot.
Speaker 1: Year that does. It for THE pac, Twelve, dan it.
Speaker 2: Does so who is winning THE pac? Twelve washington obviously if you have them to the, PLAYOFF.
Speaker 1: I am gonna Go washington Over washington twelve and zero regular season undefeated obviously in THE pac. Twelve i'm gonna GO usc eleven to, one but undefeated in THE pac. Twelve And i'm gonna Go washington OVER usc in THE pac twelve championship.
Speaker 2: Game, wait, so oh, yeah you have them losing To. Texas that's, RIGHT, Usc that's. Right blow theory in. Effect Tom herman early. On, yep that's What i'm, Thinking new luck That texas hype coming in, strong coming in double hype, game double hype. Game all, Right and so let's see who is the most Improved pac twelve team where by the end of the, year like you know what they really you, know The COLORADO i would say of this, year it could BE. Ucla. OKAY i Like Josh rosen when he's, on he needs to be more Consist Does Josh rosen care about?
Speaker 1: Football do we? Know does he even care about? Football? Tyler speaking of, which ladies and, gentlemen welcome back SERIOUS xm the solid verbal eight, eight, eight, nine, nine nine.
Speaker 2: Ten give us a call on The Deve deva's dental. Hotline we're talking THE pac twelve. Season is This Sam darnold And USC's year to? Shine i'm sure The jets hope. So but let's see how it plays Out. Crosstown If Josh rosen can keep his mouth, shut can he open up more points FOR? Ucla big, question no doubt about.
Speaker 1: It what About?
Speaker 2: Washington we're still talking about a playoff team from last. YEAR a lot of people forget. That what do you think will the nerds At stanford miss do? Everything christian, McCaffrey big, question no doubt about. It and, Hey Chip kelly's not walking through that door At. Oregon but will the flash come back For Willie taggart in The? Ducks inquiring minds want to know what About? Wazoo what's going on up there In pullman with crazy Pirate Mike leach better stay, tuned that's for. Sure Was colorado a flash in the? Pan or do they have something going on In? Boulder big, question zero doubt about that. One can either of The arizona schools get something going down? THERE i feel like we're sleeping on.
Speaker 1: Them what do you?
Speaker 2: Think how About? Utah they always seem like a thorn in somebody's. Side what can that thorn turn into a? ROSE i KNOW i want to know new coaches up there In, berkeley but can they be liberal with the? Winds and what About Oregon? State who are they gonna sneak up? On i've got some. Guesses lock it in and once, again triple a triple nine two to give us a call in The Dave davi's dental. Hotline and because you requested, it and because he gets tied in a, ladder childish there he, Is Dan.
Speaker 1: Maye your serious sexam preview for THE pac?
Speaker 2: Twelve who are you? Picking by the, Way i'm Picking Stanford. Stanford that's a good. PIP i thought about Going. Stanford, yeah there's something about the combination and if this Is stanford pending the defensive line coming, together that to me is a huge question given who they have on their. Schedule BUT i love the defense other than, that and love the lineup front and. OFFENSE i Like bryce LOVE i the pass catching targets are. THERE i Like David. SHAW i like the, continuity keeping the coordinators In bloomgren And Lance. Anderson SO i Am i'm going with The, cardinal.
Speaker 1: The Raging Stanford boner still in. Play it's, True we've got one final team here to, Discuss, dan what's fair is? FAIR i played Duck. Hunt you can play the old timers music if You, Grandpa, grandpa if you so, desire you can play it all Out, grandma grandmother T the boys at the solid verbal are Talking Notre dame. Football you're in a room by, Yourself, Dan no one buys, It. Joe people are actually anymore type.
Speaker 2: People SO i was in that booth in the old studio and it was you, know generally on the weekend or after. Work but there is now a even Though i'm in mostly a soundproof, room it's probably like ninety percent, soundproof there is a window in the, door and people do walk, by so there's a good possibility that When i'm Yelling, grandpa somebody could walk by and be very, confused which is.
Speaker 1: Great so you may have heard That Notre dame went four and eight last, year also part of the four and eight, Club. Dan in case you ever forget What Notre dame's record, was you can just ask our dear Friend Matt brown over at your, Website. Espionation more than, That matt's a good. Dude he just wrote a, Book go buy. IT i admire truly the tenacity with which he's committed himself to this joke because he's still riding the wave and dog you need the patience of a dead horse for it to Be august and still talking About Notre dame going four to. Eight, yes SO i hope for his sake When Notre dame starts the year one to zero that you just have enough content to sustain through to come up with new jokes things like.
Speaker 2: THAT i like that we are Criticizing Matt brown and anybody.
Speaker 1: Else i'm not. Criticizing i'm saying that.
Speaker 2: Criticizing we are bringing Up we are alluding to the fact that people like remembering their record beating a dead, horse whereas years now the making fun Of Notre dame fans as being old and out of. Touch we ourselves and you're included with, this even though you don't do. It this is a show that we traffic in dead. Horses oh, yeah oh, yeah. Yeah so we are self. Aware it might be not, funny but we're self. Aware the horse sound itself is a dead horse in this. Program, yeah shout out To brandon. McKissick we were that's right last. Year here's HOW i.
Speaker 1: Feel last. Year it was truly a combination of factors that led to four and. Eight the frustrating part is that it was never all the factors at. Once so as a, fan you always had this glimmer of. Hope you, know the offense looks, good but the defense is. Terrible defense looks, good but the offense can't move the. Ball it goes a lot deeper than, that And Notre dame found themselves in a bunch of close games where there was a glimmer of, hope and then they lost most of them and it was just a. Mess but it was a better team than the record would. Indicate you talk to anybody who looks at the, stats and of course the games are not played on. Paper But Notre dame was a better team than four and eight last. Year it just it didn't. MATERIALIZE a lot went. Wrong, WELL i take everything back this, year there is a lot of reason for. Optimism they're loaded at running back With Josh adams And Dexter williams And Tony jones junior is red shirt freshman who could get some work In chiplong's new. Offense they've also got about ten options out, wide including including my Boy Ekwanimia Saint. Brown, dan he's a, big tall wide. Out you might have heard of. Him you selected a. Dude oh, no you? OKAY i was going to say you selected a dude from your own. Team he's an independent. Duartson, yeah, okay an independent. Dude you mentioned a nickname For Equinemias Saint BROWN.
Speaker 2: Eq is that not okay? Anymore could you please repeat that back for the JURY. Q with that in, Mind, dan you know Where i'm going with.
Speaker 1: This, God i've been it's been inside, me it's been threatening, Me dan for weeks on. END i thought about this one in the car ride up to our live, show The minister of underwhelming. Nicknames, OH i am so excited FOR eq to give opposing defenses so much trouble you know? What?
Speaker 2: Ty hell, yeah hell, yeah Because i'm also looking at an equalizer right, Now SO i.
Speaker 1: Am i'm with. It. Ty we are on the same team with that. One the potential here for audio jokes for a guy NICKNAMED. Eq maybe my own college football. Singularity, yeah and.
Speaker 2: If Brandon wimbush isn't any. Good you could see him being the victim of a high pass.
Speaker 1: Right maybe a base defense will be a little too much fun A we're very bad at what we. Do there's no limited on this. OFFENSE i. Disagree literally every audio term could be applied. Here, Equinemias Saint. Brown it's not just. Him they've got a lot of options out. Wide Cam smith is a transfer who comes over From Arizona. State right, now it looks like he's gonna be the number two. Guy a lot of talent to work, with not just at wide out but at tight, end both With durham Smythe Alise. Mack they've got a really good line led By Quentin, Nelson mike mcglinchy on the left.
Speaker 2: Side is it not Alais A jones? Anymore It's Alise. Mack hell, YEAH i like. That keep me on my.
Speaker 1: Toes he returns from academic suspension a year. Ago the big question Is Brandon wimbush and how he's going to. Perform not enough is being mentioned about the game of three dimensional chess That Brandon wimbusch found himself in waiting out the murky quarterback situation Between Shaun kaiser And emilik'sayer they both. Left now he gets two.
Speaker 2: Years he gets two. Years and so we're talking two new, coordinators a new, quarterback a newly at peace and yoga meister head Coach kelly WHO i think the, Latest and we actually have a page a running list of People Brian kelly has blamed for. Things the newest thing is last year he blamed the time he had to spend on. Fundraising, correct that's the new. Thing, okay it's, Tough, honestly it is tough to keep. Track but, Yes Notre dame has to be better this. Year but it is a challenge because Now Notre dame hasn't in a, while at least it hasn't felt like they've had a guy who has been like savior part of the you, know illusion because Of Notre. Dame but it was, Like Notre dame is going to be fine because they have this big armed quarterback And Brandon wimbush and they're starting over with a lot of talent on. Offense But wimbush is the. Guy how do you feel about?
Speaker 1: That, NO i, MEAN i don't think he's earned, That.
Speaker 2: But isn't that like the sort of you know he no doubt about its, starter and the hope to like at least turn this team into an eight win team is on.
Speaker 1: Him it is on. Him it is on. Him, thankfully it's not all on. Him he's got enough of a supporting cast that if he's just fair To, midland they should still find a way to win seven or eight. Games, OKAY i have got a great offensive line in front of. HIM i love Mcglenchean. NELSON a great offensive line defensively is also a story worth. Mentioning can't focus entirely on the offense because they did Bring Mike elko over to be defensive coordinator From. Wake he will find a way to pressure the quarterback even if there is some turnover up. Front the reports out of practice For Notre dame is that they're missing fewer. Tackles, now, again it's only. Practice read into that however deeply you'd like, to But Notre dame has really had an issue with that over the last couple of. Seasons missing, tackles guys running through. Tackles all the fancy stats that we talk about don't Mean jack if he can't tackle on. Defense if they get better in that singular, RESPECT i will feel much much better about where this defense is. HEADED i don't like that they Lose Isaac rochelle And Jaron jones along the, line BUT i think otherwise they should be. Fine.
Speaker 2: TYE i love the optimism of sort of talking about practice reports that they're better at tackling their own.
Speaker 1: Team they're better at tackling for and eight is Where i'm coming. From it's Where i'm coming. From EVEN i didn't say, that, Well i'm saying it for. You forny is Where i'm coming. From that's my starting. Point there's nowhere to go but. Up, yeah they're really taking it to the scout. Team, really they're looking like national championship.
Speaker 2: Contenders eight's the scound four eight and. Four, yeah that's. Fine the schedule is such where there really isn't are there like difficult.
Speaker 1: RUNS i don't think there. Are it's everything pretty evenly. BALANCED i think.
Speaker 2: They van the season in a tough way going To Miami, navy who is just. Listen even as with as much As navy has, lost they are they're. Tricky Notre name's on a losing streak against The, midshipman and then they go To, stanford so it's a tough way to finish the schedule. Out but if This Notre dame team has their head on screwed screwed on, properly then they'll be fine and they'll win seven or, eight maybe nine games if if everything comes together And Brandon wimbush is What Notre dame fans really do believe he. Is, yeah middle of the, Schedule Boston, College Michigan, State Miami North. CAROLINA i mean that's the sort of Mid september Early october BEFORE usc AND Nc, state which is a tricky one two ty, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah it's IT'S i think both of those games are In South bend, Though, right that's, Correct all, right that's good.
Speaker 1: Enough but that is that's. Tough so it's. Tough it'll be a challenging. Schedule it's pretty solid the full way. THROUGH a lot does fall On, wimbush But i'm glad that it all is not falling on. Him i'm glad that he's got a decent supporting. Cast, yes without a, doubt And durham smythe is a wonderful. Name give, me stop me when we get to a team that you're not sixty percent. Sure Notre dame can can beat not sixty? Percent? Sure? Okay so you are, yeah forty percent or? Less? Sure? Okay Temple, Georgia yeah that's.
Speaker 2: Fair, Yeah Boston college on the road At Michigan, State, Miami, ohio At North.
Speaker 1: CAROLINA i feel like they should be able to Beat North. Carolina the. Show they should be able to Beat North. Carolina. Yeah North carolina is doing a major overhaul this.
Speaker 2: Year it could be monsoon season, though tie crap we saw last year Crap STATE Usc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that's that's a no. BRAINER Nc state on the Border Wake.
Speaker 2: Wake should be beatable again At miami another possible monsoon. Game another Possible that, Game Notre, dame that Game Star, high that game scares.
Speaker 1: Me, navy you feel like they've got their act. Together they should be able to Be. Navy. Okay and on the road Against. STANFORD i feel like that is Definitely stanford a week After navy is not a good.
Speaker 2: Look oh that's, right the Post navy body, blow the Post navy.
Speaker 1: Drip.
Speaker 2: Pooh you know, what, ty do you have our full soundboard capability at your disposal right?
Speaker 1: NOW i? Do? Okay you? Ready?
Speaker 2: YEAH i don't know what the spread is going to be At stanford For Notre dame lock up the cardinal form.
Speaker 1: Lock of the. WEEK i think that's totally, fair totally.
Speaker 2: All, right just making sure it Is august twenty fourth when we're recording. It we just peeled back that layer of the Scheduling onion.
Speaker 1: At Miami november, Eleventh navy On november, eighteenth and then At. Stanford so the punch Of, Miami navy And stanford to end the year is pretty, challenging to be quite. Honest and we'll be a test.
Speaker 2: If we're going to stretch it out even. LONGER USC Nc State Wake. Forest they should win one or two of those games still body bull potential and all three of. Them, yeah those are that's it looks like in The navy's defense probably is going to be, wonderful but it's still going to be. Tough that's six straight just, DIFFICULTIES i would, say all, Right.
Speaker 1: So there you have, it eight and. Four eight and four is my. Prediction, yeah what's your playoff? Prediction? Dan oh my?
Speaker 2: God what did what did it show? Up on the live show we did For Espian. Nation my four random teams were Like, FLORIDA usc, Okay so in Actuality it'll Be, Stanford Ohio, State, Alabama Florida state BECAUSE i think the The Ohio State oklahoma game will Eliminate oklahoma BECAUSE i think they lose a game in conference as.
Speaker 1: Well we've got one team. DIFFERENT i agree On, BAMA i agree In Florida, STATE i agree On Ohio. State i'm gonna Go washington instead Of. Stanford Those, therefore what is a team right? Now And i'm loading the rankings. Up what is a team right now that is outside of the top twenty. Five we've sort of talked about this, before and you can take a second to load it. Up that will finish in the top, fifteen top. Fifteen, wow here are the others receiving, VOTES, Tcu, Utah Notre, Dame Boise, STATE Nc, State Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Oregon. Oregon what THE Nc state And utah are two that are intriguing to. Me Notre. DAME i am inclined to say they're a top twenty five. Team they're gonna be a top twenty five, Team but will they finish in the top. FIFTEEN i think that's a red herring because they've finished up With. Stanford as we just, mentioned that's probably a loss so that would cause them to. Drop SO i think the answer is from MERE Nc state In. Utah you know, What.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go To utah. Here, Yeah i'm gonna agree with.
Speaker 1: You so, look that does it for our twenty seventeen conference. Previews thank you to everyone who listened to all five shows or just one of our. Shows you can find us On Apple, podcasts at, iTunes dot, com slash Solid. Verbal we are also On spotify And Google. Play tell your friends about the. Show here is the way this. Works we've got a lot of new listeners this. Offseason we will preview and release a preview show Every, wednesday well then reconvene very early On. Sundays have we decided what time we're recording On.
Speaker 2: Sundays it'll generally be late, morning, midday BUT i think AND i don't want to offer assurances here Because tie's schedule does. Vary, generally Our sunday recaps show will be available before dinner On, sunday, Definitely, okay so somewhat sometime late, afternoon definitely ish mid to late afternoon On. Sunday so we promise you very, little but we promise you. This other shows may take their time that's, fine that's their. Right we will always have Our, sunday our very Dumb sunday recap show up by the time you commute to work On monday. Morning that, is without a, doubt a definitely that we. Will we will promise you we have two shows a. Week we're entering the college football. Season if you haven't yet subscribed to our newsletter of, intent you can do. So if you're going out to soliverbal dot. Com if you haven't yet gotten in our pick them, pool you can go on out to our website as well and get the.
Speaker 1: Link we change that at the last. Second it's now over on funofficepools dot com and not On yahoo where we thought we were originally gonna put, it or Oh, sports both sports whatever we're calling that these. Days, dan there you. Go you've Got, Bama Florida's, State Ohio, state And. Stanford i've Got, Bama Florida, State Ohio, state And. Washington let the twenty seventeen season begin for. That go of, There Dan rubis d form. Myself ty Hildon brand will talk to you On. Wednesday in the, Meantime Day Solid peace