Speaker 1: Have you ever seen Bigfoot like in real life? Yeah, not that.
Speaker 2: Everyone's seen him in a movie. Have you seen him in real life? Have you ever been like, that's Bigfoot?
Speaker 3: I have not seen him in real life. No, I haven't really gone hunting for him. I have seen Bigfoot the movie.
Speaker 1: It's not the same. That's fake.
Speaker 3: I love Bigfoot the movie.
Speaker 1: I know, but that's what. Do you mean Bigfoot the movie? Or do you mean Harry and the Henderson's.
Speaker 4: Harry and the Henderson's. Yes, how did you know?
Speaker 3: That's what I was doing?
Speaker 2: Because I'm guessing. Have they made Bigfoot the movie? I don't think that's a thing. I think Harry and the Henderson's is a thing. I don't think Bigfoot the movie is actually a thing.
Speaker 4: But I did like that movie.
Speaker 2: Harry and Henderson's. Okay, you know, they made a television show out of it too.
Speaker 3: I know I didn't watch the show, but I did watch the movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just I'm very curious.
Speaker 2: So last night, Sue and I were sitting outside and we saw this light in the sky that was too far away to be a plane. Okay, but I think too close to be the International Space Station. So technically because we did not know what it was. It was an unidentified flying object, had no read like, so you a phoe, do you believe? Do you believe aliens are here? I?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't I can see why people would think that. I don't know. It's hard for me to ever go one way or the other if I think they're here. If I haven't seen it myself, it seems crazy.
Speaker 2: You've never seen a UFO, You've ever seen something in the sky where you're like, what the heck is that?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, no, no, my brain, my brain doesn't go there. I'm not a sci fi person, so it just doesn't like, it just doesn't automatically go there. It's like, oh, that was a star.
Speaker 1: That okay moved.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's oh, that's obviously people coming to colonize this for water.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the wave tsunamis and the high School's musical. I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Brian, and I ask you, Sabrina about all these mythical things, because today we're going to down a jug of water and marvel at your scales because we're deep diving into nineteen ninety Nine's The Thirteenth Year, which, to my surprise, was not about a kid having his barmitzvun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: If somebody said to you, there's a movie called the Thirteenth Year, you've got twenty guesses, would Merman be anywhere on your list?
Speaker 4: Not even closet?
Speaker 3: The water started happening, the mermaids showed up, and I, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I said. How do you not call it thins or scales?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Something fishy, something's fishy, something fishy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Something fishy is going on thirteen years.
Speaker 2: So this originally aired on the Disney Channel on May fifteenth, nineteen ninety nine, and The Thirteenth Year was actually a very big success for the channel, becoming the second highest rated dcom of all time, and has since received kudos like ranking on the Infamous Now Complex list at number seventeen, Collider has it at number sixteen, and Entertainment Weekly ranked it as their number seven on the Top thirty of d coms, and so that's a total triple crown there. And then when it was first released, the Post Standard did say it was quote not as entertaining as the mainstream theatrical movie of nineteen eighty four, Splash, which of course they have very similar themes.
Speaker 1: But that's Splash. You've got Ron Howard, You've got Tom Hanks.
Speaker 2: This is a dcom and I think a pretty decent one, but over all the movies aged well.
Speaker 1: With all its nostalgia.
Speaker 2: Is currently available to stream on Disney Plus, so you can go and check it out before listening to us, or wait until later, or don't listen to it all. No skin off our backs. We're not there. We're not babysitting yet. Do what you want to do. This movie is another very rare occurrence in the dcom world, where it was filmed in wait for it, Southern California. It was a six week shoot. It shot primarily in Newport Beach, with stops in San Pedro and Corona del Mar. So, if we've learned anything lately, which I think we have, because this is a very educational podcast, these movies that are not shot in Utah or Vancouver are only not shot in Utah and Vancouver when they need an ocean. Yeah, because obviously you don't think about I guess you think I mean Vancouver's right in the water, beautiful place.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, this is something that we usually mentioned during the credits, but it's worth noting that this movie has had a bit of a second life due to the fact that it's the first appearance. Did you notice, if no one had pointed out, did you notice this was the first appearance of a very important modern day actress in any TV or film. Did you notice who was waiting in line for water when he was there gargling down the water in school, there's a lot they panned past the long line of kids as he's in the.
Speaker 1: No, you did not see what eight year old Kristin Stewart was no standing in line wearing a white turtleneck and appearing as one of the students in line for a drink at the water fountain will Cody Hogs at all. And that's because her mom was the script supervisor on this.
Speaker 2: So the first time we get to see Kristin Stewart ever is in Something's Fishy. I'm officially changing to this wonderful movie of the thirteenth Year. Now before we are sent over to the thirteenth Year for a recap, I think we've both answered this question.
Speaker 1: Did you know anything about this movie?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 4: Right, I had not heard anything.
Speaker 3: When I saw who were we were trying to get to interview, it was like, how do I not know what this movie is?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Right now I can say I've watched it because I've never heard of it. And the title gives you again, I We're gonna harp on this. I feel the whole pod because it's just the title's ridiculous. It doesn't give you any insight into what you're about to see. Nothing, shocked, shock, and awe when mermaids started flying out of.
Speaker 2: The yeh nothing, not even a hint of mermaid in the title. But before we start jolting people with an electric eel shock, let's get into the synopsis here.
Speaker 1: After he begins to grow fins and slimy scales.
Speaker 2: On his thirteenth birthday, which of course is where the title comes from, Cody learns that his birth mother is a mermaid.
Speaker 1: Early thought, Sabrina, what did you think of the movie? Knowing nothing going in?
Speaker 3: I was excited because I felt like I was watching Splash for a minute.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 3: It took me right back to this movie that I really loved. I got that vibe.
Speaker 4: It was strong.
Speaker 3: I loved being able to kind of see how they would do that with kids. It was a different storyline when it comes to Mermaids. Yeah, I felt but you know, it was it was good.
Speaker 4: It was cute.
Speaker 3: It was cute. There was time that were a little long, and a lot of things that didn't make sense. The parenting, again, there was a few very I just feel like it's a trope that happens on Disney Channel at this point.
Speaker 1: It is that and girlfriends, I mean girl friends, man, not necessary.
Speaker 3: Girlfriends too, could have just been a best friend their relationship right, it has been a really good best friend that gets irritated.
Speaker 2: But you know, yeah, I felt the same way again, no idea what to expect Thirteenth Year. I did not know anything about it.
Speaker 1: It was it was good. I mean, it was a cute kind of movie.
Speaker 2: The acting to me, was a little a little more early Disney Channel Kids than some of the later ones that we've seen. Even though this is a nineteen ninety nine movie. There are reasons for that are that are legitimate totally. It was not awful by any stretch of the imagination. But it was not to the level of some of the ones that we've seen. I mean, it's not the acting you're going to see in the Color of Friendship or Going to Matt or some of these other ones that we throw at you, because you know, it's just and again, there's there's reasons, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: It's the dialogue that was scripted. Yes, it wasn't natural. It wasn't how you would ask.
Speaker 1: Certain questions yeah I don't disagree, you.
Speaker 3: Know, or how you'd get how you'd be looking and figuring out what the answer is.
Speaker 4: It just kind of was choppy and yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, well the movie.
Speaker 2: The movie stars one of the greatest named actors I've ever heard ever. It sounds like a total superhero name. It stars Chez Starbuck in his first ever role. That's one of the reasons why maybe the acting was not as good as a season professional at thirteen or fourteen years old. Yeah, again, his first role ever. He was a Nevada resident and this is the only the second audition he ever had. After being the anchor on a kid's news program in Green Valley.
Speaker 4: Good for him.
Speaker 1: Do you ever watch Kids News? Do you ever see that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't either.
Speaker 2: He would later appear on MTV's Undressed You're Invited to Marry Okay wait, I'm pretty sure this is the full title. I want to make sure I get it right.
Speaker 1: MTV's Undressed.
Speaker 2: You're Invited to Mary, Kate and Ashley's school dance Party. I'm so many questions as to why you have to be undressed to go to a school dance party?
Speaker 1: Or is it empty?
Speaker 5: Two different things? Help. Undressed is a weekly show on MTV that's hired a lot of young actors.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: There's another movie he's in that's called.
Speaker 1: You're Invited to Mary Kate and Ashley's within the.
Speaker 3: Movie with Mary Ashley. Okay, right, yeah, I do remember MTV's Undressed.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember MTV when it was videos.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: The most recognizable phase in the movie is that of Dave Coolier, who plays with Griffin, the adopted father of Cody and the owner of a tour boat in the area. Also, he lives in a essentially massive castle on a cliff overlooking the ocean with this beautiful beachfront view and what looks to be his own private beach, and it's never explained why they have this type of money. Dave Cooler is obviously best known as Joey Gladstone from full and Fuller House and the voice of Pete or Peter Venkman.
Speaker 1: In the Real Ghostbusters cartoon Awesome Justin.
Speaker 2: John Ross plays Corey's new best friend Jess, and he has had an acting career that ended in two thousand and three, but while he was still active, listen to the people that he played the young versions of So if you needed a young version of something, this was the go to guy.
Speaker 1: He was young Frank Sinatra in the movie Sinatra, Young Martin Short on The Martin Short Show, and young Rick Moranis in both Little Giants and Big Bully. He was also the voice of a young Robin Williams in.
Speaker 2: The Jumanji cartoon I Mean just If you need an awesome, Yeah, you went to Justin John Ross. Brent Briscoe plays Big John Wheatley, the dad of Jess and a fisherman who's dead set on finding a mermaid he once stumbled on in the wild. Brent is a legendary character actor who appeared in movies like Moulholland, Drive, the Green Mile and a Simple Plan. Unfortunately he passed away in twenty seventeen at the very young age of fifty six. He had a real that guy face. He was in everything. Absolutely wonderful character actor.
Speaker 1: He really was.
Speaker 2: And your eyes did not deceive you. That was Joel McKinnon Miller and his signature flat top which you can recognize anywhere. You could recognize it, no, just by his shadow. He was in about thirty seconds of the movie as one of the Fishermen's ridiculing Big John for his mermaid beliefs. Joel is obviously incredibly recognizable, best known as Scully on Brooklyn nine to nine, Don on Big Love, and in moviees like Rush Hour two, The Truman Show, and Super eight.
Speaker 1: He still works all the time. He's everywhere.
Speaker 3: He must have had a friend in the movie that he happened.
Speaker 1: To be walking by set one day, or.
Speaker 3: He was in and out of this movie so fast they.
Speaker 1: Must not have It was just like, oh, you're here, can you do these lines?
Speaker 3: Someone actually did show up on set today, do you mind?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can you take over please?
Speaker 2: Because everyone knows you and we've got three lines we'd like it to do.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: It runs ninety five minutes We're so Close to the bulls Eye and is directed by Duayanne Durham, who was a legendary editor this Unreal. This guy cuts Star Wars Return of the Jedi and worked with David Lynch as editor on Twin Peaks, which he won an Emmy four, Wild at Heart, and Blue Velvet. He would turn that into a directing career on family movies, including some other well known d cooms like Halloween Town, Double Teamed and Tiger Cruse. I mean the guy, The career that this guy has had. Imagine going from cutting Return of the Jedi and working the entire time with David Lynch on most of his stuff to then I'm gonna direct Halloween Town.
Speaker 1: And Double Team. Then Tiger is amazing.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: The movie was written by Robert L.
Speaker 2: Bard, who has gone on to write some big Disney films like Big Hero Six and Monster University. Kelly Senechol I want to say her name is sinetchal s E n E c A L. I apologize very bad with the pronunciations. And Jenny Arata also. Another crew member worth mentioning is the cinematographer Michael Slovas, who later in life would become a multi time Emmy nominee for the show, breaking proof that you never know what you're watching in Hollywood. Chances are somebody's career started because of it. Yes, I will say that The Thirteenth Year and Cheetah Girls had something in common, and that was Jackal Johnson.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding, just in this movie Out of.
Speaker 3: Nowhere, I am looking for him at all times.
Speaker 2: Now, exactly Fishy Franklin. They would have called him the third brother of the team. No. They they did a pre release promo tour. They sent this new actor cha chez or Chay out into a multi city mall tour to sign autographs and promote the debut on the channel.
Speaker 1: Do you you did these? Didn't you?
Speaker 4: The pre release?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I mean, walk me very briefly, walk me through what is what exactly were you doing?
Speaker 1: They bring you to a mall and and fans come and get autographs? Right.
Speaker 3: Kind A lot of that stuff blurs because once we got going with the Cheetah Girls, we were doing so much, you know, the tours, the albums, the just all that kind of stuff started. We were doing press all the time, right, But yeah, we would go into a lot of times there's mall tours type thing and you you do a Q and A of some sort and you know basically what they're doing at all the cons now, like you do Q and A and you and you do some signing and things like that.
Speaker 1: But you got to do it at a mall.
Speaker 2: And the thing that's so cool about doing it at a mall as opposed to doing it at con is you're always within fifty feet of a Missus Fields trying to make a very big fans.
Speaker 3: I'm an Annie Ann's girl a pretzels.
Speaker 2: I will take a pretzel all day long. And let's not you know, hot dog on a stick is nothing to sneeze out either, people. No, Right, The movie kicks off in a very high gear with Big John. He's out on the high season his boat. He's looking for a big catch when he stumbles upon a mermaid.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's stunned and obviously chases the beautiful hybrid who is played by Stephanie Chantel Durelli. And this is the only real movie that I think she's ever done. We were shocked by this because she's obviously stunning.
Speaker 3: And she looks so familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she looks like a mermaid. I know that sounds stupid, but she does.
Speaker 3: I know, but she's just she's gorgeous and I had to look her up. I had to pause and go, who where do I know this face from? And really there's no other than this.
Speaker 1: This is it?
Speaker 2: Here was here was an instant criticism I have with the film. I apologize for this. I didn't understand if she was trying to run from the boat, because if she.
Speaker 1: Was, why not dive deeper deep?
Speaker 3: Go just go straight down the bottom of the ocean and go.
Speaker 5: I am happy that you bring up diving deeper because I know Sabrina says she did a little bit of research on this actress, but no one did more research on this actress.
Speaker 4: Than I'm okay, okay, fair.
Speaker 5: There is a possibility that this woman is more of a mermaid than she is an actress.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry what She has an.
Speaker 5: Instagram and I would say that she plays a mermaid in most of her life and has done so since being in this movie and most likely before.
Speaker 4: Oh I gotta get her hand on.
Speaker 1: So is a mermaid? Is a mermaid?
Speaker 2: Like? Is that like a furry is is it like a subworld of kind of like you pretend to be a mermaid?
Speaker 1: Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Is this podcast going there too?
Speaker 2: Episodes A furry is just you dress up? You like to dress up in furry stuff?
Speaker 4: Oh I thought.
Speaker 1: It, But that's you know what I mean, It's not just that.
Speaker 5: But okay, so I couldn't believe that she was only in one thing, like you said, she stole the camera. In my opinion, she was amazing, and so I found her online. It had a little bit of a weird crossover with our Podmeats World show as well. But I would say she's part of kind of a circus atmosphere, and she's a mermaid in those things, and probably half to sixty percent of her photos or just of her with mermaid legs or no legs whatever, mermaid tail. And she has pictures with Bonnie McGhee, who was the original Tebanga who has made a career out of being in circuses as well. Oh okay, I think she's just a mermaid man.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, then she was perfectly cast.
Speaker 3: Yes, she could hold her breath for years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that was about six or seven hours of research.
Speaker 3: But again again though maybe this was it. Maybe she wasn't hired necessarily as an actress, somehow found.
Speaker 4: In this world of some sort.
Speaker 3: Because I still the whole time didn't understand why she couldn't talk or dive deeper.
Speaker 5: What movie I thought of that wouldn't Maybe she gave up her voice in trade for legs and we don't know the whole story.
Speaker 6: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wow, what what mermaid can't talk in the water while they're in the water.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, don't get me started. How do mermaids give birth? Because that also kept me up about six hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fish, there's like this, but she had a full sized baby. She didn't lay eggs. Fish lay eggs and other fish come over and fertilize.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 5: We don't know if he didn't come out of an egg, but I do think it's a full grown baby. This egg is large.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that was my other question. Then is she trying to run with her child or is she trying to give up her child? We don't know that.
Speaker 2: At the beginning. I don't get what happened at the very beginning. Yeah, that was the weird thing. And again, if you're just trying to run and your kid can breathe underwater, just dive.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, how about this? Sorry, I'm now, I'm I didn't think of that. That's a very good point, will, But is the idea that when mermaids have children, for the first thirteen years of their life, they're normal humans, so they have to go live as normal humans, and then when they turn thirteen they need them back for a minute.
Speaker 3: Little mermaid would have never gotten made, is the case.
Speaker 5: But also, wouldn't that mean we have hundreds to thousands of mermaids walking around and.
Speaker 2: Don't know it, And you would think that then, and you're just having all these kids with these scally things and then turning by the fish people.
Speaker 5: And by that point, you know, ninety whatever, ninety nine, you would think, oh, that kid's a mermaid. He's got to go back home now he's thirteen. We would all know that that It's like it's like a bar.
Speaker 2: Mitzvah, right, it would be like a trope. We would understand that, and we don't. So I think at the beginning was a little muddled for me.
Speaker 3: If yes, why she left him on the little net area and the boat and then because she doesn't talk in this movie.
Speaker 4: You don't know if.
Speaker 3: She was trying to do that or if she put him there for safety for a little bit, so maybe distract this other boat guy.
Speaker 4: And then they took off and she didn't realize where.
Speaker 2: That's what I think they were going for, which also got strange though. Okay, so all right, so we found out by the way, we think her name on Instagram is Sequoya Derelli, So go check out all of her fish stuff. She's apparently an acrobat, like like Jensen was saying, So okay, we think we think we figured it out. Big John loses the mermaid because she's going straight on the surface. But the mermaid then sees another boat and with a little basket on the side, goes over and puts the baby in the basket. We're unsure as to whether that was her intention or if she was just trying to get rid of the kid for a little bit so she could distract whatever. But as that then happens, the couple takes off, they hear crying.
Speaker 1: It's Dave Coolier.
Speaker 2: They hear crying, and they find a little baby, and of course she instantly says, I want to keep it. He says, we can't he can't just keep a baby, but by three steps onto the beach, they've already.
Speaker 1: Named him Cody for some reason.
Speaker 2: Literally, So then we just cut to thirteen years later with that abandoned baby. Cody is a new teenager. He's late for his school swim meat and he is trying to help his dad fix the boat, the family boat. He can't really do that, his dad says, I can't get you to your swim meat on time. Go and take the ferry. So he goes down to the ferry dock where he misses the last boat, dives into the water, and then beats the boat across the channel, the fair boat, the ferry boat. He beats it across the channel, hops out of the water, makes it to his meat in time, and then comes in second. Yeah, to the guy named Sean, like, could that guy I have outrun the ferry even fast?
Speaker 3: Yes, fats aren't very fast.
Speaker 2: That's that's what you're going with, is that he could beat the ferry boat all the way across.
Speaker 3: Because the thoughts that happened through my head is, oh, this is why I hate taking fairies, Because you sit there and go, I could jump in this water and get over to the other side faster, like they're so slow.
Speaker 1: So you still okay, so you're still on board at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, those thoughts happen. This is why I don't take fairies.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair fairy enough, I'll show myself up.
Speaker 2: So he he comes in second to the team captain Sean, someone he think he just cannot beat, but the team makes it for to the state finals, and of course coming in second makes him the most popular kid in square.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Literally, they're like, you're the big man on campus. Forget Sean, who came in first.
Speaker 4: Who always comes in first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's now the most popular kid in school. He's like, man, I don't know why. I don't know how what being this popular is like? Because he came in second. I also found that a little stranger.
Speaker 3: I figured it was the whole team is like this is huge, this.
Speaker 1: Code, but no, they keep calling him bmoc. He's the big man on campus. What's it like be and you today? Cody? Like, man, I came in second.
Speaker 3: I thought it was like the whole team was just now just the thing on campus.
Speaker 2: Even Sean says to him, like, how's it feel to be so popular?
Speaker 1: Cody?
Speaker 2: I mean you lost to me, that must be awesome, Like it was weird, but he's enjoying his life. We also finally get to meet the biggest nerd in school, Jess, who plays the tuba for the school and bumps into a tab.
Speaker 1: He's a geeko and he falls in. He falls into the pool.
Speaker 2: He can't swim even though he's grown up on the water and his father's a fisherman. Again, a little weird, but Cody dives in the water, gets him out, helps him out. It's kind of their it's their meat cute, as in swim meat cute.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. I'm full of the pns today.
Speaker 3: They're good and they're real good.
Speaker 1: Well they are good.
Speaker 2: So you find out then that Jess's dad is the obsessed mermaid fisherman big jobs. From the beginning, we also meet Samantha, who is his adorable girlfriend. Disney can cast some cute boys and girls. They are just so cute together. They're really look like they're enjoying themselves. And it also made me think a little bit, so not to get too personal, but how old were you when you had your first like boyfriend, when you'd say, like, this is my boyfriend, I mean, I had.
Speaker 4: One in first grade. I do remember. His name is Daniel.
Speaker 1: I don't think Daniel. I don't think first grade cows.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, it was basically this is.
Speaker 2: About the right age, right, like like twelve thirteen totally.
Speaker 3: I think sixth grade middle school. Middle school is when you'd have like an actual boyfriend where you'd hold hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they like held hands right away.
Speaker 3: And Daniel Bride didn't even know it was my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I'm sure he didn't.
Speaker 2: He's like, wait, I was I had a chance with Sabrina Bryan what Oh my god, if only i'd known during naptime kind of.
Speaker 3: A title oh man, But yeah, I think, yes, okay, I think that's bough.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 3: They weren't boyfriend and girlfriend to start with, and I didn't there was really no progression of anything.
Speaker 2: Well, the parents kind of say, like, you guys an item now, and they're kind of like letting go of their hands.
Speaker 1: I think it's that awkward, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: But I didn't think it was needed, you know how sometimes they just throw in like a relationship. Yeah, and there wasn't really anything needed. I think that Sam could have easily been a really good friend, you know that, and it wouldn't have been weird.
Speaker 1: I think, though, what they were going for was that you haven't.
Speaker 2: That's why they gave him Jess is because when you have a secret like that, and again they kept alluding to it, and we'll get to this, kept alluding to it as going through puberty. So when you have a secret like that or you're going through that, it's like another guy friend you might So I get like, if they make her a girl, that's a friend he might not have won it felt comfortable talking to her about it. And then you're not telling your friend something, which is a little more terrible than not telling your girlfriend, you know what I mean. So I think they had to give him his friend to like talk have kind of the puberty talk quote unquote, and then he's not telling his girlfriend what's going on.
Speaker 7: So oh man, Cody is becoming a better swimmer, he's becoming a cooler guy, but of course.
Speaker 1: He is failing. He's not a good student, so he's failing.
Speaker 2: They're about to do marine biology and he's paired with Jess, who's the nerd who can't swim but turns out to be a big marine biology nerd geek, which I kind of like marine biology too, so I was I was right on. He even mentions dungeon dragons. This is back in ninety nine, This isn't when it's popular. So I was like, yes, good for you, Jess, you and I would be friends. So they make a deal. I will that the typical it's happens in Camp Buy Me Love happens in every movie like this. The jock makes a deal with the nerd. I will teach you something, jockey, you will teach me something nerdy. So he's gonna teach them how to swim. I'm going to teach you how to how to be a better student. This is also where we start to see Cody's unfortunate drinking problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, but did you get thirsty watching this movie? I dressed that for like this size.
Speaker 1: I probably dreank.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: He was making me thirsty. It was like, geez, Cody, like I had.
Speaker 1: A problem with this. I would have done.
Speaker 2: I would have progressed it to the point of then doing what they do on a lot of shows where you lift up the gallon of water and you have a tube in your arm, so that's where the water goes.
Speaker 1: So it looks like you're chugging.
Speaker 2: I would love to have seen him do an entire gallon in one chug, where it just looks like, oh my god, how is this even possible, as opposed to just because in my head, I'm thinking diabetes when you're this thirsty.
Speaker 1: So I would have made.
Speaker 4: It so sanitary.
Speaker 3: Oh you know nineteen nineties where you actually drank out of that watercause you do not do that anymore. You drink, you actually drink from the water fountain.
Speaker 4: Gross.
Speaker 1: No, water fountain was actually a step up.
Speaker 2: We spent most of our time drinking out of a hose in the seventies and eighties, and that's how it should have been.
Speaker 3: Well at school, you have water fountains at school, of.
Speaker 1: Course we did. It was great. That's now they have.
Speaker 4: Those their hydras stations.
Speaker 1: For the love of god, hydro station.
Speaker 3: Do you ever have to drink out of a like a one of those things?
Speaker 2: I can't say they're they're wonderful. So, yes, he's starting to drink non stop water. He just kept drinking, drinking, drinkings like cant stop. Thirty to forty of this movie, he's just chugging walk So finally he says, it's his birthdays coming up. He's again just guzzling his hdo his girlfriend, which we assume is what she is. Samantha comes in, gives him his present and then says, I have something else for you, and leans in for it.
Speaker 3: Gives him a present of a picture frame of her, of just her.
Speaker 1: Was it was cute?
Speaker 3: No, you do not you can do a picture of you and him together, but here's.
Speaker 4: The fictured frame of me.
Speaker 1: It's cute.
Speaker 4: Samantha get at it.
Speaker 1: When Sabrina lost sam right there, heavy birthday, I think it's sweet.
Speaker 2: Uh so, yeah, So they try to kiss and apparently mermaids are also electrified.
Speaker 3: He didn't know that about I don't know. This was a learning experience for.
Speaker 1: Me, shocks her.
Speaker 2: They get at a little and she's like, well that was weird, and he was essentially like, I know, that's sorry about that. Let's try again, and she walks away and says maybe at your next birthday.
Speaker 3: Wow, Hey that's okay. Yeah, no more kissing.
Speaker 1: No more.
Speaker 2: They didn't do the first kiss. She got electrocuted and that was it. She's not a great girlfriend, Let's be honest. Now, there's times in this movie where it's like, what are you thinking from.
Speaker 4: In the start of the trend?
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, okay. So now we'll get into the parents a little bit because we talked about this. So we've got Dave Coolier and Lisa Stall who played Cody's adoptive parents. We didn't mention her up top, but Lisa is a former Miami Dolphins cheerleader and a Price is Right model who also played the scorned girlfriend in George Michael's Careless Whisper video. Yes, and for dcom they're actually pretty regular loving parents. There's no real notes except the mom, which we'll get into later, who has one thing where I'm like, wait, huh.
Speaker 4: I've got a couple of them, but we'll do them later.
Speaker 1: We'll do them when we get to her. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So even though his parents are pretty good, he keeps, at least for Disney for they're a plus for Disney Channel parents.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he keeps having these vivid.
Speaker 2: Dreams of being underwater and meeting a mermaid that all seems very very familiar to him. In his dreams, he doesn't need to come up for any air. He feels very much at home in the ocean. And then another thing comes up, which I didn't realize about mermaids, which also to me doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Where his hands get really sticky.
Speaker 3: Yes, I didn't understand that either, not webbed, but sticky. Yeah, there's a part Spider Man situation that happens when you become a mermaid. I guess there is, and I can scale walls.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to take this to a gross place in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: I swear I'm not.
Speaker 2: But when they keep talking about him going through puberty and then this twelve year old just has sticky palms, it really threw me. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to take it, but it was weird.
Speaker 1: It was weird to me.
Speaker 2: Why underwater do you need sticky hands is to catch fish? I don't, I don't. I didn't get the sticky hands. I didn't get the sticky hands.
Speaker 3: Because it's not like fish are sticky, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's I don't know it was. Maybe there's something to do with pirates booty.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But he so he is getting Spider Man hands and developing really uh colorful scales and so which are.
Speaker 4: Great when you think about the makeup artists.
Speaker 1: It looked really good.
Speaker 4: They looked awesome.
Speaker 1: They I thought they were kind of shimmered in the light and they looked scaly. And it worked. It really did it work, especially for a d com. Uh, it was good.
Speaker 2: So he's thirsty all the time, the scales are coming and then disappearing.
Speaker 1: He's wondering.
Speaker 2: So this is where we find out that while he might not know his origin story, he knows he's been adopted.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I noted that we are thirty six minutes into this movie, yep, before we even address.
Speaker 1: The mom the origin.
Speaker 3: How is everyone related?
Speaker 1: Right? I felt the same.
Speaker 3: Thirty six minutes felt a long time. I had no idea what he knew, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if he knew the whole story, like do you know that you were found in the ocean?
Speaker 3: You know, if he was going to be told the way the Luck of the Irish was told, Hey you're Irish, Well.
Speaker 1: We have something very important to tell you. You're Irish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thirty six minutes seemed a long time before they addressed this.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one thousand percent.
Speaker 2: It was it felt oh and then it felt like it was just kind of thrown out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he says out there.
Speaker 3: And moved right along very.
Speaker 1: Rightly, push push, pasted it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Cody, he wonders if he inherited whatever he's going through, maybe from his real parents, and he wants to see a doctor. And this is where the mom yes, all of a sudden, I am totally against doctors. No doctor will ever put their hands on my child. And she calls them all quacks with stethoscopes, so anti doctor that your son is growing gills and going through it literally telling you, mom, I feel terrible. I want to see a doctor, and she's saying, you're not going to see a doctor.
Speaker 3: Now. I do have friends who are very against certain things with doctors, you know, and that, okay, come up a lot over the last you know, four years especially, but this was like, on a whole other level. I don't want you to see a doctor. I don't even want them to be in the same room with you because I get some type of weird disease from it or something.
Speaker 2: It was. Everybody makes their own, their own personal decisions when it comes to doctors. I understand that. I get that everyone has to take their own path. I also get the combination of Eastern and Western medicines maybe working together, where she says there's natural things. Totally understand that.
Speaker 1: I get that as well.
Speaker 2: They took this to the extreme level of this kid would be bleeding out and she's like, I'm not taking into a doctor.
Speaker 1: It was very, very strange.
Speaker 2: But then the parents walk in and literally find him crawling on the ceiling like Spider Man and with scales appearing much more frequently. And now he asks his friend Jess, the marine biologist, what's going on with me. Jess takes a little bit of sample of the scales, does kind of some of his own biology, which thank god for Jess.
Speaker 1: Who's keeping us moving along.
Speaker 2: Says, I think I have a logical expormation for this.
Speaker 1: You're a merman.
Speaker 2: And they're like, he's like wait what, and he's like, no, I think this is what it is. I think you're a merman.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: His dad, being a mermaid hunter, has all this kind of folklore around the house, so he's going back and referencing kind of the books and maps and stuff that his dad has collected. So he's putting together the fact that he even finds something. He finds a specific thing saying after when you turn thirteen, your body starts to change and you become more mermaidish mermanish.
Speaker 3: That's where we found out this it's like a normal thing. Yes, more people the age of thirteen, and then you also do see that it's more and more at this point in the movie that you see Jess has a very he's very cautious when it comes to his dad and well as in his dad's all this you know knowledge, but he doesn't want to bring it to his dad because he's not sure what his dad's going to.
Speaker 1: Do with yours.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you see this hesitation of what you know.
Speaker 3: He's looking through his dad's papers trying to find some information, but he doesn't really want to tell his dad because he's worried about what his dad's going to do. His dad's such an extremist when it comes to murpeople.
Speaker 2: That was actually my favorite scene of the movie because I loved how both of those characters and the acting was great in the scene. Both of those characters took it as an olive branch to each other to have a conversation just father and son and reach out and connect, and they both gave each other an out like no, I can leave and let you watch your stuff. And he's like, well, wait, I have a question and he's like, well, I don't ask you any questions. It's like, no, ask me question.
Speaker 1: And so they.
Speaker 2: Both took the opportunity to have a scene as father and son. And I thought it was very very sweet, really nice. I like this and I liked it quite a bit.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: But this is when Jess so that this is what happening.
Speaker 2: We find out that happens Merman start to transition into her people when they turn thirteen. And while they're discussing it, Jess's dad, Big John, who we just talked about, overhears them, and his water conspiracy brain is once again active when Cody finds out that he was discovered on a boat, which could have been helpful information as you notice the scales growing on your body. Wait a second, I was I was found wrapped in a fishing net on your boat. Maybe something that could have helped me in the in the in the in the past. Yes, yes, it makes sense. So Dave Kooyer is still trying to get his wife to allowther Son to visit a specialist, and Cody overhears them. Uh and it sends him off to the ocean just to escape, and he starts.
Speaker 1: Swimming like a fish. He's spinning around at top speeds.
Speaker 2: He then jumps in the air like a dolphin, and his mermaid mom sees it off from afar, and she's just as proud as a mythical amphibian can be. I also don't believe they're mythical. I believe they're all over the place and we're all mur people at heart.
Speaker 3: I loved that scene that was me in my pool when I was little. I was in the pool every day and I found someone had been filming me.
Speaker 1: Were you just dolphining it all day long? Doing the dolphin all night?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would have my diving rings. I'd put them on my ankles so I could do actual mermaids swimming. But like when he's looking like he just like spastically dancy and swirling.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would give so much money to see a video of you doing that as a kid.
Speaker 1: I really would.
Speaker 3: I wish they're advertags just so funny because it really took me back to the That's.
Speaker 1: Like, that was me, that was me. Oh great, Yes, I want to see the film this guy.
Speaker 3: Thank god, there's no film of me spazzying out.
Speaker 2: I do I want to see you going after the rings Jess who he's still teaching how to swim, and his parents are still the only people in his life that know. So the state championship creates a real problem for Cody because we've now established anytime actually he can't really control it. So sometimes when he gets wet, he gets covered in scales. Sometimes when he gets wet, nothing happens, but he doesn't know which one it's going to be. So with the state champions coming up, it's if he gets in the water. There's absolutely no way of saying what could happen. But he's also completely said on competing because he wants to beat Sean because it will always come in second, even though he can still be a.
Speaker 4: Fair sure get that first place, Cody, you get it.
Speaker 2: So he goes to the to the to the race swims obviously. Even though now this is so this entire movie, I think they missed a big mark here because now he's coming into his mermaid own. He's flipping, swimming, doing all this stuff. He has become a monster swimmer and still only beat Sean by a second. This story should be about Sean the incredible swimmer.
Speaker 3: I was that he is now an almost merman. Yeah, but he still beats him by like this much.
Speaker 1: This movie should be about how good Sean is.
Speaker 3: Right, Sean is the Michael Phelps of this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking it. Sean Phelps was his last name. No one knew that.
Speaker 3: How is he just? He should have been lapping him? Yeah, and Sean being so confused in the pool, he just stopped exactly.
Speaker 2: The poster should just be a picture Sean, and the tagline should be a mermaid only beat him by a second? You know what I'm I mean this this movie should be about how good sewn.
Speaker 3: I know I could not. That's definitely something I wrote down. Just how is that possible?
Speaker 1: Big John, though, is in the stands and notices Cody.
Speaker 3: With his creepy binoculars.
Speaker 2: He's got creep binoculars for no reason, and Cody comes up with full like fins on both arms.
Speaker 1: Now he's officially changing.
Speaker 2: He realizes people are looking at him, and so he uses his electric ability to short out the entire place, causing a panic, right.
Speaker 4: Which would have shocked everyone in the water.
Speaker 2: Everyone would have been yep, everyone would have been dead. But not he can control it.
Speaker 4: Apparently apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very very.
Speaker 3: Very quick thinking though, just let me use my electricity.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, So, now Sean knows, his girlfriend knows and passes out when she sees his chan Let's put it this way, Sean doesn't necessarily know he's a Merman, but thinks he's on steroids or cheating in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: But Sean was the closest one to.
Speaker 1: Him, to him.
Speaker 2: But Sean is also again concentrating on his Olympic dreams, of which he has several, because he's that good a swimmer. This is the Sewan story, and that's the movie I'm waiting for. Okay, thirteenth year two. This time is Sean's gym.
Speaker 1: His girlfriend comes over.
Speaker 2: She passes out when she sees his body change, which is exactly the scenario you want when your girlfriend sees your body for the first time, and so it puts a wrinkle.
Speaker 1: In their relationship. I would say, would you date a merman, Sabrina, I.
Speaker 3: Can understand the shock in aw she went through. Sure, it happens so fast. I feel like I might have taken a little bit more time in the situation to kind of feel out what was happening, but she was It was explain to her and.
Speaker 4: She gets right off that couch and she's out.
Speaker 1: I am, she says.
Speaker 3: I will not say anything, but I want none of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want none of you, sir. I am a pascatarian and I am.
Speaker 3: Is not the look for me.
Speaker 2: Would you first of all? I love the hand signals. Would you date a Murman? Nice guy, he's got a good job.
Speaker 3: Can he go in and out of the water, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But for the most part he's got he's got one big tail.
Speaker 3: I couldn't date Merman because I can't swim that long. These people, even the actors, how, I kept going, how are.
Speaker 4: They doing that?
Speaker 3: The long scenes?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: It was it slow mo that they were doing like probably because they were underwater for a long time without breathing, and I can't do that for very long.
Speaker 2: So that's the only thing holding you back from dating a Merman is just so you couldn't breathe underwater.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that's fair.
Speaker 4: But if he could teach me or something, yeah.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: In Splash, Tom Hanks is finding a water as long as he's with her, So maybe it's that.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, Okay, okay, so there's just it we require what just a lot of making out.
Speaker 2: I'm into this, Okay, I'm glad to know you're into it. And I got a guy I want to introduce you to. So the school he goes back. The school is now turning on Cody because they want to know what's going on, but Jess, of course, the steadfast friend who everybody else craps on the entire movie, is still by his side. That night, Cody, trying to find some solace, takes the ocean again and comes face to face with his murmam, who obviously has come to see her child now that he's thirteen. It is a very beautiful reunion until Big John appears again. This man lives on his boat just trying to find murr people. He's seen his mermaid target again and he will not sleep until she's in this huge net that he's made. Jess is obviously terrified to see this for his friend, who now has full on fins, and he goes to warn his new bestie, but he's actually down at the ocean silently communicating with his mermaid mom, who wants him to come to the sea. All of a sudden he is in excreme, you know. He calls his girlfriend over. He's like, I want I got to explain some stuff to you. Yes, I'm a merman, but we got to talk about some stuff. She comes to the comes to the cove. Halfway through their conversation, he just falls in absolutely excruciating pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then pretty good special effects for a d coom.
Speaker 4: I thought so too.
Speaker 1: He gets fish feet.
Speaker 3: He gets fish feet. I didn't understand why they became fish feet and not.
Speaker 1: I think he's got to get to that.
Speaker 4: It's like, it's like stage aggression.
Speaker 1: This is the equivalent of stubble before he gets his beard.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, that's what I would.
Speaker 2: Say, to keep the to keep the puberty metaphor going, which I hope you don't have to anymore.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so we get to see it and then okay, so here, I hate to say this, but I would kind of say these special effects, which are practical, look better than like, say, the dragon from Descendants, which didn't look very good.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, the dragon from Descendants looked very animated.
Speaker 2: Right, but not even kind of the good like kind of the cheaper animeate, you know, which obviously was super expensive.
Speaker 1: So they had to use.
Speaker 2: But it makes you wonder why they don't do more stuff practically because this was goodish legs look great.
Speaker 3: But this was in an era where they were doing a lot of mermaid stuff, so I guess maybe that's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of extra mermaid stuff hanging around.
Speaker 3: Descendants came out during like game of throws, so there was a lot of dragons happening as well.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, and dragons are real, so you could have used the real dragon.
Speaker 3: I hate talking bad about Descendants.
Speaker 1: Descendence was great. I just think the dragon could have been a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true, but yes, I thought that the special effects with his yes really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just as his mermaid mom comes to save him, bam, big John again with his giant net captures them. Yes, but he actually captures Cody on the boat, and you can tell they make.
Speaker 1: It seem like he's trying to save him. But it's a.
Speaker 3: Hard time to get weird washy washy. Like the beginning, you're not really sure exactly what the what the motive.
Speaker 2: Is because he says, relaxed, we're almost to that, we're almost to the docks.
Speaker 1: I'll save you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I make a suggestion. I think he's trying to just bait the mom.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought, Okay, but when it was first happening and he's making that dialogue of we just got to get to the dock, but then you realize he is just baiting the mom to try to get the mom close enough to the boat to capture Okay, which he if he would just let he could just put Cody in a tank probably and he'd be fine.
Speaker 4: Right, then you'd have your mermaid.
Speaker 5: There's much safer ways.
Speaker 2: But that's what I thought too. He wants to prove to people that he that people exist. He has one on his.
Speaker 4: Boat, one on your boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why do you need the other one? A mermaid in hand is better than two in the bush, yeah, which.
Speaker 5: They always say. But I do think also the heat's trying to prove that eight years ago he saw one thirteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, But wouldn't the fact that you have a mermaid prove that I have a mermaid?
Speaker 1: So you only got one that's not the one you saw thirteen Like who would say that. They'd be like, you.
Speaker 4: Got a mermaid, you got a mermaid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very strange.
Speaker 2: But he also has a very very very small and precise net where unless she's in that two foot radius, you're not going to catch her where it's a giant fishing boat.
Speaker 1: So I guess did it works?
Speaker 3: It works?
Speaker 2: So he nets her, but then Jess, who wants to save his friend's mom and is now able to swim, dives underwater.
Speaker 1: Cool moment knife with him and cuts her free.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately, after she escapes the net breaks, it wraps around Jess's ankle and boom brings him to the bottom of the ocean, where he could die. Big John can't save him. I don't know why Big John jumps right in the water and then doesn't go underwater, just starts yelling his name.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing he can swim either. That sure made me sense. He didn't jump right in either. It was a little there was a little delay. He took a nice long pause, yeah, took one of the seven flannels he was wearing off, yeah, and then jumped in.
Speaker 1: Yes. And then in my head he just had his hair colored and is like, I can't get it.
Speaker 4: Oh, gosh, all right, I guess I have to.
Speaker 2: So he just stayed above the water yelling his son's name. As if that would help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Big John can't save him, you know can though. Cody pulls him out of.
Speaker 2: The ocean, dives down, gets him out, and then pulls him to the side of the water, where then Samantha performs CPR and that doesn't work, but he can now use his shock ability, which thank god, the sticky ability wasn't happening or ripped the kid's chest right out, but he shocks them clear and and then he brings them back to life. And then, of course the first words that Jess has are I think your girlfriend was just kissing me, which I thought was actually pretty funny.
Speaker 4: That was funny.
Speaker 2: It was a nice little touching moment where they saved Jess's life. The movie ends with Big John thanking Cody and completely accepting the Mermaids amongst him. He's now off Mermaid patrol, merman patrol. He just wants his son to be alive.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: The mermaid mom then appears and does this really weird?
Speaker 2: You can tell she's kind of trying to communicate without speaking, but it came off a little.
Speaker 3: Odd, same thing as the beginning. It was the same look. Yeah, and you're going, what the.
Speaker 4: Heck is what what's happening.
Speaker 3: I don't quite understand what she's trying to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then we get a translation from Cody's mom who says she wants you to come with them. Don't worry, you'll be back before the school year starts because murd people obviously know everything about the school schedule. So she's like, well, you know, I'll help him pick his classes and we'll get what's going on. So she says, we'll be there before school starts, and then, uh, Cody leaves. Now here's my question, how do you explain to your neighbors and everybody else that now your kid's gone. I guess you could say it's that grandma's or whatever, and he's gonna come back.
Speaker 3: Went to North Carolina for the summer.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, you're gonna have to make something up because he's in the ocean as a mermand. And then one of the funniest scenes, I thought, he's in the ocean with his mom. He's now fully formed into a murman. He jumps out of the water and his hands are like this when he comes out of the water, and it's because producer Jensen found out that he's holding onto a bar pulling him up, and it looks like he's holding onto a bar and they just digitize the bar out as they're pulling him up like a like a like a trapeze, And so they just keep pulling him out and dunky him again and pulling him out.
Speaker 1: And he's just holding onto a bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're also I guess assuming once he's with his mom for summer mermaid camp camp camp wanta tail.
Speaker 1: When that's done, he then is in full control of his mermaidness murmanness. I don't know he can become a kid again. Or is he now going to be full mermaid in school? Because that's my question. Dance is weird.
Speaker 3: He obviously can't continue to compete in swimming. That's just not fair to the rest of the world, right, Or is he going to keep can you will he turn as soon as he hits water? Does it have to be salt water? It's chlorine water with making him sick?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of questions that we Yeah, why is chlorine water triggering fis Are there fresh water murr people and saltwater people?
Speaker 3: I mean there could be.
Speaker 1: Are they like crocodiles and alligators? I mean, I don't know there could be, but that's it.
Speaker 2: That that he swims off into the sunset with his his non speaking, telepathic mother, leaving his other family on the doc hoping to see him again before school starts. And that is your film, ladies and gentlemen. Something's fishy. I'm sorry. Thirteenth Year obviously.
Speaker 1: Is what it's called.
Speaker 2: Now let's get into some real reviews, Sabrina, I think I did the one star last time, so why don't you take the one star this time?
Speaker 1: And it's one of my favorite ones ever.
Speaker 3: All right, our one star comes from Laird b. I'd need to see it again. I don't want to say anything about it until I see it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the whole review. I love that. I won't say anything about it until I see it again.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get on here and I'm gonna type this out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it one star.
Speaker 3: I have nothing to say. I'm gonna go ahead and give it a one star exactly. And that's it, all right, Laird, thank you, thank you, Laird.
Speaker 2: And now the five star is from dayshana E, who said this movie is a great metaphor for the changing systems of government over time. It demonstrates very well how stress and turmoil can completely change morals and foundational beliefs. Ten out of ten. Great movie. I especially like it when he goes through fish puberty.
Speaker 3: I kind of says it all breaching the first part of this.
Speaker 4: I was what movie did she watch?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but the idea that you could somehow relate this to the systems of government tied.
Speaker 3: In with some fish puberty, and it's golden.
Speaker 1: I know the second you say that, I'm on board.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 4: We're good.
Speaker 1: We've got a new game this week, because we've got so many games.
Speaker 4: And I love the games.
Speaker 2: Our game this week is called fifty to fifty Site And to commemorate the first decom about adults believing in Mermaids, We're going to be given a mythical creature and we have to decide which of the fifty US states has had the most quote unquote credible sightings of this being.
Speaker 1: Will be given multiple choice.
Speaker 2: Once again, Sabrina and I do not know the answers to these, and once again Sabrina is going to get all of them wrong. So here's the first one, Bigfoot, which of these three states have had the most credible sightings of Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Is it Oregon, California or Washington State?
Speaker 4: Washington.
Speaker 5: I don't think this is going to change your opinion, but I just want to let you know. In this case, it's since the mid nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Oak, So we're going specific? Okay, gotcha, very specific? Okay, since the mid ninety nine. You're going to Washington State.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know what Washington?
Speaker 1: I am too.
Speaker 5: All right, well you must have brought her luck. It is Washington State coming in. Yes, they had seven hundred and thirteen. California had four hundred and sixty one.
Speaker 1: How many in Oregon?
Speaker 5: That was a made up?
Speaker 1: So you just made it up? Okay?
Speaker 5: I thought maybe people in Oregon, you know, I don't know. I thought maybe they'd see Bigfoot.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense maybe too. Through all, he's in the likes of Pacific Northwest. He or she?
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's plenty of big feet UFOs. Are they most credible sightings in Florida, California or Washington?
Speaker 3: Where's Texas?
Speaker 5: Again? The detail you don't need to know. It's through twenty fifteen?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, but where's Texas in there?
Speaker 1: Isn't like Texas to shoots him down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, El Paso in Texas. Isn't that like a big siding place. Okay, you're thinking of area.
Speaker 5: You're you're thinking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, New Mexico.
Speaker 5: By the way, we can add as a multiple choice, but he would learn it's not number one one of those.
Speaker 4: It's not number one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like Florida.
Speaker 5: Guys, it's our home state, California, and buy a lot. Really, yeah, eleven thousand in California, five thousand and second place, Florida.
Speaker 2: I again, I saw one the other night with Sue, and I'm sure it was something completely earthy, but I couldn't tell what it was.
Speaker 1: It was earthly, I'm sure, but I didn't know what it was. So it was an unidentified flying object, all right?
Speaker 2: And finally, what state has the most sightings of ghosts?
Speaker 5: And here's your here's your your detail. You don't need two thousand and five to twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, specific ghost because I know before two thousand and five it would have been Texas. But after two thousand and five it's anybody's game. So is it California, Missouri or Texas?
Speaker 1: Most credible sighting.
Speaker 3: Missouri's a creepy place at times?
Speaker 4: Is it Missouri?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Texas is big. I'm gonna go with Texas.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's Texas by a hair. They had six eight hundred and forty five California six four hundred and forty. Sabrina Surrey was just.
Speaker 4: All just made up.
Speaker 3: Dam god.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you everybody for playing fifty to fifty with us. Fifty fifty seas speak of sees, can we do Sabrina sees?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm always looking at the coaches, the coach character, of course, and one of the coaches lines I had to write down. He says, all right, guys, I'm gonna say something really important. Winners don't lose.
Speaker 4: And that's it. Now get out there and do your best.
Speaker 1: Great line.
Speaker 4: And he's a great mine coach.
Speaker 3: So fun. We didn't end up getting to the parent moment, but the parent moment that was strange to me is okay, fine, you're gonna keep him from the state championship. Now everyone can understand how important a state championship is to any team.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter they have Sean.
Speaker 3: But you're not gonna tell the coach, you're just gonna and then you're gonna think he's not gonna If the coach isn't thinking that he's not gonna be there, he's obviously gonna sneak out. So the parents really kind of, you know, they ended up having a little mishap because of their decision.
Speaker 4: I felt in the end, I did.
Speaker 3: Feel that this ending just kind of nothing really happened. He left, it was or it was just kind of short. And the last thing I wanted to say was when I was excited to see Courtney Draper Sam she's in this movie.
Speaker 4: I saw her right away.
Speaker 3: Made me feel bad that I had not heard about this movie at this point, because you know, I obviously you want to support your friends. In her credits that we got, she was in Bold and the Beautiful. I was her friend in Bold and the Beautiful really, and then she was in her other credit that she does, like eighty seven episodes of Is the Jersey that was on Disney Channel, and that's where I also met That's where I met her as well twice.
Speaker 1: So you've worked with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on both of her main credits, which.
Speaker 4: Is very cool.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, she did Bold and the beautiful.
Speaker 4: I did that after we did.
Speaker 3: The jersey earlier on I believe. But yeah, she was great. I thought she was awesome.
Speaker 1: You think in real life she would have a problem with more people.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe I think at that age, no matter what, middle school's tough.
Speaker 1: It's like it is tough, especially when you're dealing with people.
Speaker 5: You know what she's best known as now, she's the voice of like the main character in BioShock Infinite, which is like one of those mega hit games. Yeah, wow, she plays Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Is she just the voice or she also? Does she do mocap for it? I wonder if she's the actor.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: She tried to smocap for it.
Speaker 5: It's big time though, yeah.
Speaker 1: Huge. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it was great to see her in this movie. I thought she was adorable. She did such a great job. Like I said, their relationship was kind of funny, that the kissing part was kind of you kissed him again and oh, Jess, I'm gonna say this really quick. Jess reminded me as soon as I saw him as Smalls in Sandlot that's what he looked like to me, right, And then it killed me at the end that he ended up. You know, Smalls falls in the pool and then ends up getting CPR by the hot girl in the movie Sandlot.
Speaker 1: I've never seen the Sandlot.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I was literally with Patrick Brenna and all of them like this weekend, and I still have never seen the Sandlot.
Speaker 4: That's tragic. That is tragic, I know.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Smalls ends up falling in the pool and ends up getting CPR, which is exactly what happens to Jess, which I died was because I'm it looks like.
Speaker 4: Small and at the end it ends up coming full circle. It was awesome, awesome, awesome.
Speaker 2: I think Smalls was Chauncey Lee apart, I believe, I don't know. Well, now we have to rate the movie, as everybody knows. Every week we rate our movies on a basis of one to ten, one being the worst, ten being the best.
Speaker 1: This week here or.
Speaker 2: Option do we want to do? One out of ten, fish puberties, one out of ten kid News anchors, one out of ten, Kristin Stewart cameos, one out of ten. Quacks with stethoscopes also known as doctors, one out of ten water guzzling merman or one out of ten, Big John mermaid Nets, you pick, what do you want to do?
Speaker 4: I mean this made me. I was just quenched with thirst the whole time. So I think we got to do Water Guzzling Murmot.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 2: I think you went first last time? My dad, all right, So I did not hate this movie at all. I did not love this movie either. It was a movie. It was fine, and because of that, I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna give it. I'll give it a six because it was cute. I'm gonna give this six. Water Guzzling Morman. We've certainly seen better, but we have certainly seen worse. It's cute, you know. I think the nostalgia factor has has kicked this up quite a bit on Collider and Entertainment Weekly and some stuff like that, because we've certainly seen some better dcoms, but again, we've definitely seen worse. The kids are cute, it's fun, a fun romp. A lot of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The special effects are good. I'll give it six.
Speaker 1: Water Guzzling Mormon.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give it a six and a half because I did get pretty impressed with the special effects. But I can't give it a seven because I felt like Dave should have been in it a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to see his character of some sort more. You know, I felt like we saw Captain John more than we saw him.
Speaker 1: Big John, Big John. I agree, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Agree, even if he was laying that character and he could have gone, you know, super big in the character atmosphere or whatever. But so I would have given it a seven if I saw it. I got more Dave. I needed more day for it to be a seven. So six times have not water juzzling Murman for me.
Speaker 2: Well, luckily for everybody out there, you're gonna be happy to hear that we aren't quite done with the thirteenth year.
Speaker 1: We're entering year fourteen with our park Opper episode this week.
Speaker 2: And you wanted more Dave, You're gonna get more Dave because we get to talk with Dave Koler, the sitcom legend, amazing mermaid, dad, all around funny guy, and he's going to talk to us about making this movie.
Speaker 1: Let's hear a clip from that now.
Speaker 2: Obviously, at this point in your career, you'd been on New heart, you're doing coach full house. I mean, you name it. It's one thing after another. But you hadn't done a whole lot of films, had you. Was this one of your first?
Speaker 6: No, it was actually yes. And actually my first SAG job was a Cheech and Chong film and I played a guy who I have a long tongue. So in my audition I stuck my tongue out and they said, Okay, you'll do that in the movie. And it was a movie called Things Are Tough all Over. So that was actually how I kind of broke into SAG was with that movie.
Speaker 1: We had such an amazing conversation with him.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to go over to our feed and check out our park Opper episode because it will be worth it. Thank you so much for joining us on this very drinky, wet Mermaidy episode one that again we had no idea what it was based on the title. Speaking of the title, the next movie is ready We're jumping back to Wonderful World.
Speaker 1: At Disney nineteen eighty six is Brat Patrol. That's B period, our period A period T Period Patrol. This one is streaming on YouTube. Check it out there for free. I know just about as much of this as I did about the thirteenth year. Although I've heard of Bratt Patrol before.
Speaker 3: I'm a little sunburn ready to take a moment away from the beach though.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: Let's go away from the beach a little bit.
Speaker 2: As far as we know, Brat stands for beach rats at Powell time.
Speaker 1: I mean, so we're gonna have to see what it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you all so much for joining us on this in a wild, crazy episode of Magical Rewind. Join us next time for Bratt Patrol. We will see you then, don't forget. You can also subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody, Bye,