Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart and today we're joined by Clay Nukem, Mark Kenyon, Tony Peterson, Brent Reeves, Jordan Sillers, Jordan Bud, Casey Smith, Maggie Hudlow, and Tyler Jones. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. We have a different cast with us in the room today. It's all out of talent folks. That really puts me in a good mood. I'm happy to see you guys here. Welcome to Mediat Trivia and a couple of Tony Peterson. You forgot to put your sunglasses on, like Tyler and Clay. No, not for you, Nope, no cool. And Clay was just telling before the mic turned on he's really good at drawing two things because he always does a little doodle on his whiteboards. What were those two things?
Speaker 3: White tailed deer and muscled up dudes. It's my main, main thing.
Speaker 2: And then so he pointed out that there's a drawing that Clay made in the studio here. What what is that thing?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't really know. It's a it's a it's a picture of a guy with a machine gun shooting a hog.
Speaker 2: Tyler this camera here, yes. See.
Speaker 3: So the reason this is in the Medater studio is I was in Alaska with Steve and I don't even know how, but I ended up showing him that picture on my phone, which I had found. I found that picture at my mom's house and I was like, oh, yeah, I drew that in nineteen ninety seven. Actually I was a junior in high school and uh. And Steve was like, I want that framed and in the Meat Eater office.
Speaker 4: So I did.
Speaker 2: It looks very good. That's a that's a real muscled up guy called and the boar be cool. Welcome out of town folks to meet Eater Trivia for the stat of the Week. This week, we're looking at the head to head stats of the Element boys, Tyler and Casey.
Speaker 4: Do you guys have any.
Speaker 2: Idea about who does better in Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 5: Tyler has won a couple of times, so yeah, him, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He won an episode in what became known as the Communist.
Speaker 5: Episode, very controversial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did it one time. In the tiebreak. We said, if you can get the tiebreaker right on the nose and you're not part of the tie breaker, we'll give you the victory. And that's exactly what happened. You lost.
Speaker 1: That triggering spencer was in there too, so.
Speaker 3: We had.
Speaker 2: So you know what about in trivia that's not meat eater trivia. If you guys were like on a hunt in Oklahoma and laying in your hotel room watching Jeopardy, who would win this?
Speaker 1: So realistic? Oh for sure? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 6: Okay, he's that he knows a lot about a lot.
Speaker 1: All right, well here a little about a lot.
Speaker 2: Here's what we got for me Eater trivia. Tyler averages six correct answers per game, while Casey averages five correct answers per game. Tyler's strongest category is conservational, where he gets sixty six percent of questions correct. Casey's strongest category is also conservation, where he gets sixty percent of questions correct. Tyler The weakest category is cooking, where he gets twenty five percent of questions correct, and Casey's weakest category is also cooking, where he also gets twenty five percent of questions.
Speaker 1: That's weird. Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Remember and weakness.
Speaker 6: There's a lobster roll question one time. I had no clue about that one.
Speaker 5: That one maybe many.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you brought that up, So you boys do is lobster on there? Tyler?
Speaker 2: Just you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How proud of you of me? Are you right now? Conservation Dad? Come on now, I should write your book for you.
Speaker 2: Do it now. Here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the meadeater dot com with the subject line I f a Q. Amelia Warren wants to know. It seems like there are less Southern questions than anywhere else. Is the South the hardest for you to write questions for? What's the easiest, Clay, Brent? Do you think the South is hard to write trivia questions about?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: I think you just overlook us.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, every time I would say that the South.
Speaker 9: Every time I'm up here, there is no question below the Mason Dixon. I'm at work driving around.
Speaker 1: It's Arkansas.
Speaker 6: Y'all live below the Mason Dixon.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: And I can get them.
Speaker 9: I get up here and I'm like two. I thought you was gonna read my average just two.
Speaker 2: I know what it is. Well, i'll tell you this the next episode we're recording, Brent, I have the stats for the Bear Grease Boys, so we'll get a good detail.
Speaker 3: Fishing and cooking is my downfall.
Speaker 2: So to answer Amelia's question, though the South is not as hard as the Northeast, the Northeast is the hardest. It's just a small regions. It feels like a lot of it is very monotonous. It's just a lot of timber, same critters. I would say the West is easiest. It has all most of the relevant public lands. It's where I happen to live. It's a giant region. I wouldn't say the South is the hardest, though. We'll try to try to get more Southern representation, though we're just not Brenton Clay and Amelia now we have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had an overtime question about how many states and the rivers share the same name. The correct answer was sixteen, but when I read them off, Brody noticed that one was missing, and he was right. I hadn't accounted for the Florida River in Colorado, raising that number to seventeen. Now, a few listeners wrote in saying, since there are two Colorado rivers that it should actually be eighteen, but we're not going to count that. If we did, then we'd have to start including some of the other duplicates like the Little Missouri, the Little Mississippi, and the Little Colorado. So we'll keep that number at seventeen. And since both of the answers in that overtime around were lower than the correct answer, it doesn't change the outcome of the game. The Shelby index for today is our three, so our winner should get six correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win.
Speaker 9: Everything, Tyler, you gonna chain.
Speaker 5: Gamon suckers.
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is hunting. This will be multiple choice, and this first great question is via huge dent. What is the name for a female mountain lion? Is it flyer, clouder, jill or queen? What is the name for a female mountain lion. Your four choices Flyer, Clouder, Jill, Queen. No one in the room appears to be very confident. Wow, not even Clay, Nukem or pant.
Speaker 3: Don't ever ever heard the differentiation?
Speaker 2: Okay, if if you had to call a mountain lion, who is a female name? You don't even have a different name. You just don't have a name for it at all. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: I mean, I would just say it's a famous mountain lion.
Speaker 2: Okay. Which of these is the name for a female mountain lion Flyer, Clouder, Jill or Queen. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying Jill, Jordan says Queen, Casey Marked, Jill Tyler, Jill, Tony, Jill, Brent Jill, Clay, Jill, Jordan, Jill Mark, Jill. The correct answer is not Jill, it's Queen.
Speaker 5: That you thought I had that somewhere. Really, I thought I had that somewhere in the back of my brain. And Jill seemed like a.
Speaker 4: Trick because Tom and.
Speaker 2: Jill, if you didn't know, Jordan is a doctor just like Randall. So Clay was identifying Tony or Tyler is the competition today, but it might actually be Jordan Stillers over.
Speaker 5: Here someone else st insecure.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: A flyer is a female kangaroo, a jill is a female ferret, possum, or rabbit. A clouder is a group of cats, and a queen is a female mountain lion, as well as a female dragonfly, hornet, aunt, or b Question two, the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Ryan Lily. This kayak maker is named after the city in Maine where they're built. This kayak maker is named after the city in Maine where they're built. If Casey Tyler Clay coming up with an answer, you know this one, Klay Nukem.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't specifically kayak.
Speaker 2: This kayak maker is named after the city in Maine where they're built. Element boys, you guys got this one right.
Speaker 5: I got an answer answer.
Speaker 2: Question two. We are not off to a hot start so far, at.
Speaker 5: Least, Jordan, did you say the state? I don't know what this is.
Speaker 2: It's in Maine. This kayak maker is named after the city in Maine where they're built. How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Marcus, I've got a kayak company, but I don't know that's places in Maine or not.
Speaker 2: Do you own a kayak?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, never, No, Michigan's a kind of place where you auto own a kayak.
Speaker 7: I think we had a canoe, but not a kayak. We've looked at kayaks recently. My boys want like a little kid kayak. I don't know if this manufacturer has a kid kayak. I've obviously not done enough shopping.
Speaker 2: This kayak maker is named after the city in Maine where they're built. It is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying Devonport Jordan without an answer, Casey says Hoby, Tyler says old Town, Tony says Hoby. Brent says Banger Clay, old Town Jordan Budd without an answer. Marcus says Jackson. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Old towns. We had Tyler Clay.
Speaker 3: Old Town, but their canoe maker.
Speaker 6: That's what I thought too.
Speaker 5: I didn't think they're associated.
Speaker 2: The company was born in.
Speaker 3: His question was outrageous.
Speaker 2: Just because they make canoes doesn't mean that they're not.
Speaker 3: A could have said That's why I said, did they make. I was trying to say, like, did they make anything other than K.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to give you any hints, Clay.
Speaker 7: I do feel like you misled us because you made as seem like that was the like it defined that company.
Speaker 4: This is a kayak company, Marcus.
Speaker 2: This is trivia. So I'm not trying to tell you more like what the correct answer is there we go, Clay, Yeah, it's a trivia based show. The company was born in eighteen ninety eight, when their first canoe was built behind a hardware store in Old Town, Maine. The brand remained a family business until they were sold to sc Johnson in nineteen seventy four and then to Johnson Outdoors in two thousand and four. They claim to be the world's oldest and the largest kayak and canoe distributor.
Speaker 3: Hey, can I ask Jordan something real quick? There's a canoe at your camp that's called the Washitall Canoe. You do you know what I'm talking about. That's like an old brand. Washita is the name of the mountains where I'm from. Anyway, this is the first time I ever saw when we white old canoe called wash spell that Yeah, oh yeah, oh U A c ch I.
Speaker 2: T what do you use with that canoe at your place?
Speaker 4: Jordan?
Speaker 8: Well, not much really. But this year we shot a deer down the river and instead of dragging it out because it was really steep, I went back and I canoed to it, put the deer in it, the canoe down, and the river's so shallow. It was took three times.
Speaker 2: As long oh taking it out.
Speaker 8: Okay, but it was fun. It made for fun pictures.
Speaker 2: The thing Clayton cool canoe.
Speaker 1: It was a cool color.
Speaker 4: It's like that old blue.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Is it fiberglass?
Speaker 3: I think it's it's aluminum.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question three, The topic is gear. A twenty twenty two hooking barrel article referred to this billionaire as the Walt Disney of the outdoors. The topic is gear. A twenty twenty two hooking barrel article referred to this billionaire as the Walt Disney of the outdoors. Clay Newcome the only one to come up with an answer, So tell me his name. Marcus now joining with an answer, and Brent, he's also showing it right to the camera that looks at me.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: If I average five right answers a game, better start.
Speaker 2: Getting I gonna start. A twenty twenty two Hook and Baryl article refer to this billionaire as the Walt Disney of the outdoors.
Speaker 3: Miley questions, I'm not sure if the guy that I wrote down is a billionaire with a beam.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Okay, you're thinking he's worth a little less.
Speaker 7: Well, but what other billionaire is so defined by the outdoors that you would and.
Speaker 5: In what context are we saying Walt Disney?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a Hook and Barrel article and they referred to him as the Walt Disney of the outdoors. Mmmm, I'm the best answer is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Tony Peterson, you ready, I'm writing yep, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie without an answer. Jordan Siller says Steve Vanella. Case says Johnny Morris. Tyler says Patagonia founder. Tony says Yvonnard. Who is the Patagonia Brent says the Patagonia guy. Clay says Johnny Morris, Jordan says Johnny Morris, Mark says Johnny Morris. The correct answer is Johnny Morris. The room bon let me tell you Johnny Morris is the founder of bass Pro shops and worth ten billion dollars ten billion. The nickname was inspired by his Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium, which has been referred to as is the Disney World of the outdoors. The Springfield, Missouri attraction has thirty five thousand live animals, one point five million gallons of water, and eight acres of exhibits. Cool.
Speaker 6: Why did I not?
Speaker 9: We've been there. I took my little girl there to the Oh it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Did you spend your time there walking around looking at all that stuff? Uh?
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 2: They got they got like some of the biggest bucks in the world there, right. I think some of them replicas some of the real.
Speaker 9: Permanent display there. And I think they just bought Max Prairie Wings went into a partnership.
Speaker 5: I went there my first vacation. I was two years old. I got a picture with me with a grizzly bear.
Speaker 3: You know that big man Max Prairie Wings.
Speaker 5: No, No, they don't have that man.
Speaker 3: Well, you didn't go to Waters Wonder's the Wildlife when you were two?
Speaker 5: I didn't that went to the thing in Springfield, Missouri.
Speaker 4: Well, I to bass Pro.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but it's all been converted into that, right.
Speaker 3: Well, Wonders of Wildlife is a is this, you know, like world class museum connected to bass Bro Yeah, so ethel.
Speaker 1: Would have been there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went to That's probably why we went. Yeah, because is the Lake Fork Association.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. It should be a destination for everybody that loves conservation. I mean it's it's like a testament to.
Speaker 5: Our way alife.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: Johnny Morrison worth ten billion dollars and the founder of Beast pro Shops. Question for the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question is via Joe Furiesith. Par Helian is the scientific name for this six letter phenomenon that appears at sunrise and sunset on cold days. Par Helian is the scientific name for this six letter phenomenon that appears at sunrise and sunset on cold days. The room looks stumped. Do you have an answer?
Speaker 7: Mark? Okay, it's six letters, okay, and it's in my mind feels like it's associated with the topics.
Speaker 2: Okay. Parhelian is the scientific name for this six letter phenomenon that appears at sunrise and sunset on cold days. Tony Peterson, do you have an answer.
Speaker 1: I'm in the exact same boat as Mark. I'm not a smirky and in my head I was like, I think that's it, but I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Really, Okay, Mark and Tony little confident they're the only ones. It looks like.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 2: It's the scientific name for this six letter phenomenon that appears at sunrise and sunset on cold days.
Speaker 1: Man, I know the thing. I think this is right. I don't, don't I think we have it. I'm getting I'm losing my confidence by the second.
Speaker 2: Here is it because Casey thought he knew it?
Speaker 4: Is that what?
Speaker 1: No, it's just because it seems like a dumb answer now, But I'm gonna stick with it.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Brent is doing some writing? Hold on, Tyler, back to the whiteboard.
Speaker 7: You know that just that awful feeling when you know you know the answer but just won't come that feeling when Mark talks. So the opposite of that is when you don't know how you know, but you just have a feeling like I just.
Speaker 4: Think this is it? Like that's the feeling right now, Steve, in a burst of inspiration.
Speaker 2: Steve has explained that as his humunculous, a little figure in his brain running around.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think Mark got it right, and I think I should get a half point because of my allegiance to him.
Speaker 4: I do appreciate Mark one of the most well.
Speaker 3: Read people you'll ever meet.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's true.
Speaker 3: Okay, God reads like crazy.
Speaker 2: Here's the question.
Speaker 6: You're saying, he's not smart.
Speaker 1: He just reads a lot.
Speaker 3: Or what I know, I'm saying smart.
Speaker 2: Par Helian is the scientific name for this six letter phenomenon that appears at sunrise and sunset on cold days. Is everybody ready stop?
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: He is now laughing at Tyler's answer. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying SunDog Jordan without an answer. Casey sparks Tyler Frost, Tony SunDog, Brent Alpine, clay, elp and glow. Which was an answer one other time when you and Brent were here and you said it was prejudiced towards Southern people.
Speaker 5: I go with you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you right now the answer is not Jordan. Bud says Mirage. Marcus says Corona. We have a correct answer in the room. It's SunDog. Maggie got that one right. Sun Dogs are also referred to as Mock's sons or phantom sons. They are caused by light refracting through ice crystals in the atmosphere and show up as a halo around the on. The Greek believed sun dogs are a sign of good luck because the bright lights are Zeus's dogs being walked through the sky.
Speaker 10: Mark you know that feeling you were talking about. I had that feeling, but I wasn't gonna say a word. Now.
Speaker 2: You Southerners are really at a disadvantage there, because I doubt you've ever seen a sun dog in Arkansas or text.
Speaker 1: Greeks call them. We call them frosts.
Speaker 2: Where I'm from, we believe in walker dogs. Question one word, sounderstand one word. Question five. The topic is cooking. How many gizzards do male pheasants have? How many gizzards do you know?
Speaker 11: I absolutely should have killed seven thousand roosters in my life. You never went and digging in and no counted until he asked that question. If you just asked me that, I'd be like, I absolutely know how it's not not very hard to guess.
Speaker 2: No, I have no idea how many gizzards do male pheasants have mm.
Speaker 6: Hm, assuming it's more than females or less differently at least not.
Speaker 2: Gonna give you any hints. Could be the question is how many gizzards?
Speaker 3: If we all just collaborated together.
Speaker 5: It's really up to because Mark is the only person that can block him from the door.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean one of you has to win at the end of the game, and however we get there, don't.
Speaker 7: We could all just choose not to answer, and then it would not negatively impact any of us.
Speaker 2: One person answers, it's gonna be what do they call that? A scab?
Speaker 5: Never this never, never had.
Speaker 3: None of us answer, no answers.
Speaker 7: Let's let's just do it to piss off Steve, because you know, if he finds out about this.
Speaker 2: I think Tony is already h he's already anti union.
Speaker 1: I did write down an answer, but I really don't care how this one breaks.
Speaker 2: Okay, Maggie, I think you should go against him over here. You come up with an answer and forget it.
Speaker 5: Hey, I need to know.
Speaker 10: I wrote down number and wrote down another number, so I'm not feeling confident.
Speaker 4: So are other people putting down numbers. You're not standing with us.
Speaker 1: Play the game.
Speaker 4: It's you're a rule follower.
Speaker 6: You're not going to organize some kind of rebellion here.
Speaker 1: Not having answer, Let's not pretend you're this guy. Dude, let's go. I was with you, Mark Man, it was all squall. It's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Now, Tony and Maggie got that last one right. And I'm sure they see some good sundgs in Minnesota and Wyoming. That's a prime sun dog territory.
Speaker 1: I'd say, yeah, Maggie and I should be on the same page. She's like my spirit animal.
Speaker 5: Wait, so how did the Grecians see sundogs? That's not a cold area.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. I don't know. Sometimes it must have gotten just cold enough for them to do they Does everybody except for Mark have an answer for pheasants have? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying three, Jordan says two, Casey zero, Tyler three, Tony two, Brent one, Clay two, Jordan two, Mark two. The correct answer is.
Speaker 4: One only.
Speaker 5: The question about nothing answer.
Speaker 2: That was a trick question because all birds have one gizzard, which helps them break down food. Although they're rare, and the rest of the animal kingdom there are a few fish and reptiles that have gizzards. Paleontologists believe that some dinosaurs had them as well. For a great tutorial on cooking gizzards, check out Wade Trunk's fried gizzard's recipe on the Meat eater dot com. So it's not just male pheasants that have one, all birds a spencer.
Speaker 1: Can we take a point away from whoever put zero on.
Speaker 5: Any is that saying?
Speaker 2: Answering?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, of course all birds have one, so why not just put zero? So we're asking the question Mark didn't even want to put an answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, most of you took mars Mark's advice there and just put down the wrong answer instead. Phil, we're halfway through the game of trivia, give us a scoreboard off to Oh.
Speaker 12: My goodness, is one of the weakest games with trivia we had in five episode history of the show. This is everybody has one point except for Clay Newcombe who has two.
Speaker 2: Man anybody's game what was it?
Speaker 1: Was a three?
Speaker 2: So this is this was set out to be a low scoring game. But I am exceptionally nervous.
Speaker 3: With this game as well, she could be winning.
Speaker 2: Question six. The topic is hunting. Which state that begins with an N has the fewest white tail deer? So, of these states that begin with an end, which one has the fewest white tail deer? See a lot of list making happening right now, at least with some folks. Oh, Clay, quick to come up with an answer. Clay, you have this one right. What if you think of another state that starts with an end?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's an intimidation factor, distraction. See I've been called hold on now I'm distracting you.
Speaker 5: You already have an answer.
Speaker 2: A Clay leading this game with two correct dames, dominating the.
Speaker 5: Game, double the points of anyone else.
Speaker 2: When that happens, though, you know what it's It's not you, it's me. I've made the questions too hard.
Speaker 5: Well, there's more light whenever we get them wrong. That means we learn more, or it passes through.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at that mountain, goat over there?
Speaker 5: Where you gonna mountain?
Speaker 4: What's that one's I've never seen them live flat like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I shoot that one. It's like you're both issue, Clay, You're headed on a mountain goat home, like right after you leave town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boat hunt for mountain goats in Alaska?
Speaker 2: Dang? Yeah, how many days you got set aside?
Speaker 3: Eight days? Eight hunt days?
Speaker 2: What if? What if after eight days you don't have one? You stick?
Speaker 3: Well, you better get this rot, you know, I don't know, it just matters. If you're we'll probably just have to come home.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Mid state that begins with an AD has the fewest white tail deer.
Speaker 3: Do all you whitetail guys just feel a lot of pressure right now.
Speaker 5: It'll be really.
Speaker 4: Embarrassing to listen.
Speaker 5: If I got this wrong, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Argue that I might too.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: I've done the research on this.
Speaker 2: You can go your last clay. If you need to change your answer, Aska, you go for it. Washington, Marcus, you ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying Nevada, Jordan Sillers, New Hampshire, KC. Says Nevada, Tyler, New Mexico, Tony, Nevada, Brent Nevada, Clay Nevada, Jordan, Nebraska, Mark, New Hampshire. The correct answer is Nevada. About half of you got that one right. The eight states that begin with an N are Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and North Dakota. The bottom two from that list are New Mexico and Nevada. New Mexico has fifteen thousand coups whitetail deer and Texas whitetail deer, while Nevada has zero, so they don't have coups.
Speaker 3: We were countings.
Speaker 2: But even if you don't count the coups, New Mexico has a small population of Texas whitetail deer.
Speaker 1: Questions, what did you put.
Speaker 9: For that again?
Speaker 5: Hampshire?
Speaker 7: Okay, I think there might be, he said, of which of these states as white tail deer the least way?
Speaker 2: I heard the questions right behind you there? Which state that begins with an N has the fewest white tailed deer?
Speaker 7: So my mistake was I thought what white tail states?
Speaker 4: The states to have white tailed deer?
Speaker 1: Which classical.
Speaker 4: Take? I take my lumps.
Speaker 2: Question seven, the topic is wildlife. This bird goes by nicknames such as sea parrot or clown of the sea. H a lot of ocean front in Arkansas, This bird goes by nicknames such as sea parrot or clown of the sea. The room looks stumped again, except for Jordan sillers, Jordan, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I think I have a good guess. It just came to me. Yeah, I have a guess that.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, Marcus feeling a little confident. Clown of the sea or sea parrot? What bird goes by those nicknames?
Speaker 1: Chicken of the sea? I know that one?
Speaker 5: And a forced close to.
Speaker 2: What's a forest clown?
Speaker 5: Well, turkey?
Speaker 2: This bird goes by nicknames such as sea parrot, clown of the sea, Tony Peterson. How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 1: Not great?
Speaker 2: This is question seven? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying seagull. Jordan says puffin, Casey puffin, Tyler puffin, Tony King, Eider, Brent Clay puffin. Jordan without an answer, Marcus says puffin. The correct answer is puffin the room very well. There are three main types of puffins, the tufted puffin, horned puffin, and Atlantic puffin. The Atlantic puffin, which is found from Maine to Spain, is considered a vulnerable species globally. Ironically, two of their top threats are climate change and renewable energy. Question eight, Well, topic that's fishing. Next great question is via Brent Weiss. Name one of the two presidential waterways that form the Missouri River.
Speaker 4: The name is presidential? Like named after a president?
Speaker 3: Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Don't I'm not going to give you any hints. Name one of the two presidential waterways that form the Missouri River.
Speaker 4: Do we get extra points if we can name all of them?
Speaker 2: You don't, but you could maybe earn back some points with Tony Peterson if you if you get this right with authority.
Speaker 4: I got this one.
Speaker 3: Name one from writing his book That Wild Country?
Speaker 4: Maybe so that Mark?
Speaker 2: Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Clay?
Speaker 3: I gotta guess what through is throwing the doctor off? Is throwing me off to the presidential river?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 3: What is that name?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Name one of the two presidential waterways that form the Missouri River? Tony? Do you have an answer?
Speaker 5: I love this?
Speaker 2: This is question.
Speaker 13: Mean literally walked out of a conversation today where the woman from Moultrie was explaining this. We're like, I'm thirsty, megs like I gotta go pee we walked away from explaining.
Speaker 3: This presidential waterways, the.
Speaker 1: Right, this exact thing, and we were like, we will never need this information.
Speaker 10: Tony, I already knew all that information.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that you don't know this. Megan, I do know this.
Speaker 2: You do know.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna I know this, speak this.
Speaker 2: Eight so we will get a school board update after this, Tony, how you doing down there? I come up with an answer.
Speaker 1: I can. I can barely remember any president's last names.
Speaker 2: Okay, everyone should give you a clue.
Speaker 4: It's not the Trump.
Speaker 2: Everybody should have one answer written down. Don't write down multiple. If you do have multiple, just circle the one that you're going with. Everybody your this is your last chance here, Clay Nukem.
Speaker 3: I I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying, Jefferson, Jordan Madison, Casey Madison, Tyler Roosevelt to Washington, Brent Jefferson, Clay Yellowstone, Jordan Jefferson, Mark Jefferson. The two rivers are what Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 7: The Jefferson and the Madison, as well as the Gallatin that it's not presidential. But those three rivers come together and make one hell of a trump. I was worried that it was too easy, because this is where we are.
Speaker 2: That's rights. I can never ask that question in a regular game of meat eater trivia because everybody lives within like a stone's throw of where this happens, and the Missouri River starts just west of Bozeman, Montana, where Jefferson, Madison and Gallatin Rivers converge. All three waterways were named by Lewis and Clark. The Gallatin is named after Elbert Gallatin, who was the US Treasury Secretary. The other two rivers are named after Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, the nation's third and fourth presidents. Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Looking a little better.
Speaker 12: Now we've got to Peterson and Jordan Budd with two points apiece. Maggie, Jordan Sillers, Brent Reeves and Mark Kenyon all have three and now tied up in first place are k c and Clay Muko.
Speaker 2: Literally, anybody could good place to be.
Speaker 9: This is always the part of the game where Phil says, looks Brent's out of the conversation.
Speaker 5: But you noticed that I did not say that this time brow no.
Speaker 2: Question nine. The topic is woodsmanship. This hazard kills one hundred Americans each year, which Noah defines as quote a localized current that flows away from the shoreline toward the ocean. This hazard kills one hundred Americans each year, which Noah defines as a localized current that flows away from the shoreline toward the ocean. Is question nine.
Speaker 5: Will you accept one of two answers?
Speaker 2: There is one correct answer to this question. I don't like love Casey, Tony, you have this one right. I feel like I do Clin newcom you have this one right.
Speaker 3: I mean I have an answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marcus, how are we doing?
Speaker 7: I've got an answer, but I think sounds right.
Speaker 2: Casey tied up in the lead. How you doing? Do you have the right answer?
Speaker 5: I have one of the two that I think are the right answer.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Let Jordan Bud write down her answer. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying riptide, Jordan says riptide, Casey riptide, Tyler rip tide, current, Tony riptide, Brent riptide, Clay riptide, Jordan riptide, mark riptid Jordan says tied. The correct answer. The correct answers is rip current. Oh, no, nobody.
Speaker 6: When you asked that question, I erased rip current.
Speaker 2: Noah says that rip current, riptide, and undertow are three different yet similar water hazard. Riptide is current that's created by the swift movement of tidal water through inlets and harbors. Undertow is current below the surface that's moving in a different direction from the surface current, and rip current is current that's flowing away from a shoreline. According to CBS News, eighty percent of beach rescues annually involve rip currents.
Speaker 5: I would have to look at the sign at the National Sea Shore and I go back and make sure it doesn't say ripped tide, but show a picture of rip current.
Speaker 2: They may the Noah is very specific that rip current and riptide are not the same. Now, nothing changed on the scoreboard, right, we.
Speaker 12: Have uh yeah, everyone, let me see.
Speaker 2: Tough game of trivia. Man. We have Clay and Casey with four each. Maggie ordered Brent, we will go overtime mark three. Now here's a correct review for our listeners at home. Answer one was Queen, two was Old Town, Three was Johnny Morris, four SunDog five one six Nevada seven, Puffin eight was Jefferson River or Madison River? Nine was rip Current. Here is question ten. The topic is conservation and this is our listener question of the week, which was won by Jackie Mason for sending this great question. Jackie is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. What was the name for the African American troops who worked as park rangers after fighting in the Indian Wars? This is the final question. I think we have five or six players who could make it to overtime here. What was the name for the African American troops who worked as park rangers after fighting in the Indian Wars? Topic was conservation? Casey, do you have this one right?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 2: This could win you the game. If Clay Newcombe doesn't pick up his whiteboard and write down an answer, I'm even I'm racking my brain. What was the name for the African American troops who worked as park rangers after fighting in the Indian Wars? Tony Peterson also writing down an answer.
Speaker 5: Clay, are you interested in doing overtime tiebreaker? I mean, would it be cooler if we did that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Casey.
Speaker 4: Major a race or I might just.
Speaker 3: Play a trick on you making well if you know, you might as well win if you're gonna win, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really had to twist his arm there, Clay, Well, it was a good well.
Speaker 5: I thought he might offer something, but he didn't know.
Speaker 3: I could, uh maybe get you a good bear hunt.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, is everybody ready what was the name for the African American troops who worked as park Rangers after fighting in the Indian War.
Speaker 5: That very much could be wrong too, so it do not work out of your way.
Speaker 9: I might be right.
Speaker 3: Should I know this?
Speaker 8: Should?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Brent thinks that Clay should know this one. Mark, do you have this one right?
Speaker 9: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Tony Peterson you have this one right?
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: I was real stumped and then something hit me and I have no idea if it's right or not.
Speaker 2: We're gonna Clay, is you're gonna come up with an answer? Clay, No, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying park Rangers Jordan without an answer, Casey says Buffalo soldiers. Tyler Buffalo soldiers, Tony Buffalo soldiers, Brent Buffalo rangers. Clay without an answer, Jordan says rangers. Mark says Buffalo soldiers. The correct answer is Buffalo soldiers making Casey, thank you well done, Casey, I appreciate that round of trivia, and you took the victory without even going to overtime. Now Here you go, Clay, We're gonna teach you about the Buffalo Soldiers. Six all Black regiments were established in eighteen sixty six to help rebuild the country after the Civil War and to fight on the western frontier. Tribes who clashed with these troops called them the Buffalo soldiers because of their dark, curly hair and the fierce fighting style. Some of these men later served as the first caretakers of national parks, tasked with putting out forest fires, evicting poachers, driving out cattle, and stopping timber thieves. Casey is our winner with the five correct answers. Casey, what happens next is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation for me eater goes. What's he gonna be? So?
Speaker 5: In honor of our friend Mark Kenyon, who is a lumper instead of a separator. I'm gonna have a separator donation. So there's the Coastal Cutthroat Coalition. They work on the Northwest coast specifically in coastal cutthroat conservation.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: So I love cutthroats. Yeah, man, all types of me too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: I believe it's the coalition. I think that's the third word in it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, now what's all this about lumpers and separators?
Speaker 5: So Mark, well I'll just explain yourself.
Speaker 7: Well, me and Tyler got into a deep conversation one night on a backpacking fishing trip about how there's so many different species of cutthroat trout, and I joked Tylling, I just like to think about they're all cutthroat, like the difference between a bear river and an apache and a yellowstone versus a snake.
Speaker 5: River versus a what they they're all cutthroat trout.
Speaker 7: And then so he likes to call me a lumper. So this is some people that prefer to like have a smaller number of species, and some people that would like to define them as is very differentiated and their their threshold for speciation is is very low.
Speaker 4: And so Tyler was pro split them up.
Speaker 7: It's as much differentiation as possible, and I said, Cutty's a cutting.
Speaker 6: I think I like it mostly because it gives you I'm a goal or in person, and so I like thinking like I can catch that one next, And.
Speaker 4: You like the cutthroat slam. Yeah yeah, right, yeah, makes them.
Speaker 2: All feel a little more special if they're supposed to be a little bit different. So five hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Going where Casey Coastal Cutthroat Coalition. I believe if we make sure that's the third word.
Speaker 4: And if I had one, I would have donated to trout On Limited.
Speaker 2: Setting their money to crowd organization. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. And don't forget. The second week of the Meat Eater Crossword is available on our website right now. The theme this week is national Parks. You can go play for free at the medeater dot Com backslash games.
Speaker 9: Cut Through Coalition is a po box in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yes Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 2: He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones.
Speaker 1: He lays damn questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old Bucks. It is an avid amateur