Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: October seventh, twenty fifteen, from Comedy Central's World News headquarters in New York. This is the Daily Show with Trevor Noah. Yeah, welcome to the Day Show with Tremanoa.
Speaker 3: That's me our guest tonight.
Speaker 2: The director of the new documentary Winter on Fire, Ukraine's fight for freedom, Yevgeny Afanyevski, is here joining us.
Speaker 3: Yevany Afski give Ronald clause.
Speaker 4: We'll know I'm soon enough.
Speaker 2: But first, the GOP race is heating up. Donald Trump is still in the lead with twenty five percent in the polls, but right behind him, right behind him and gaining ground, is this man.
Speaker 5: Because I'm very concerned about the future of our children. I've watched politicians today, of course, you know, I prepare every day and I'm learning more things every day.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Ben Carson for people who like Donald Trump's ideas but hate his charm and charisma. Ben Carson is like the drug free cocaine for people who don't want to get high, but just like snorting white powders. But it turns out that even the doctor's calm has become too crazy for some. You see yesterday Ben Carson was asked how he would respond if a gunman liked the one in the Oregon shooting confronted him and it didn't go well.
Speaker 6: Rising GOP star doctor Ben Carson is under fire after making controversial comments about gun control.
Speaker 5: I would not just stand there and then them shoot me. I would say, hey, guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can't get us on take again.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: What I also don't get is that Ben Carson renny thinks that he could rally people against a mass shooter. I think he's overestimating how inspiring his presence might be.
Speaker 3: You're gonna shoot me. Hey, guys, listen up.
Speaker 2: I need you all to rally behind my charismatic presence and charge with me in a certain death.
Speaker 1: Who's with a.
Speaker 2: Look In Corson's defense, though he may have been caught off, God given time to think, I'm sure he'd clarify what he meant that.
Speaker 7: What needs clarification do you?
Speaker 6: I guess there's an implication that you're saying that the students do enough to save themselves.
Speaker 5: No, I just said nothing about that.
Speaker 7: I said what I would.
Speaker 5: I would ask everybody to attack the gunman because he can only shoot one of us at a time.
Speaker 7: That way, we don't all wind up dead.
Speaker 2: Well, when you put it that way, it is pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Everyone is not dead. I don't understand this guy.
Speaker 2: Chastising victims of shooting for what you assume was their cowardice is what most normal candidates would consider a gaff.
Speaker 3: But I will admit Ben Carson does practice.
Speaker 2: What he preaches, because even though the media kept taking shots at him, he kept charging into those interviews.
Speaker 8: The accusation there, doctor Carson, is that you appeared tone deaf, and that you seemed callous in the laughter about a massacre and what you would have done.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm laughing at them and their silliness, the people asking that question. If you sit there and let him shoot you one by one, you're all going to be dead.
Speaker 2: Let him shoot you? What do you mean, let him shoot you? What do you rarely expect the victims to do? Like Ben Carson? I don't understand this. This guy would make the worst hostage negotiat to EVA.
Speaker 9: All right, sir, I need you to stay calm and put your gun down.
Speaker 3: Everyone else Russia Russiam now.
Speaker 9: Russia, Russia how many people are dead. Oh, at least it wasn't everyone.
Speaker 2: There's also a few other things that Cosson would like to change.
Speaker 6: You said that you'd be very comfortable if kindergarten teachers had guns in the classroom.
Speaker 5: All kindergarten teachers, I said, people who are trained.
Speaker 2: You want to train.
Speaker 5: I want that teacher trained in diversionary tactics.
Speaker 2: Who are you? Who are you?
Speaker 3: And how do you think that this is an education policy?
Speaker 2: This is not an education policy. Kindergarten teachers can ben handle a room full of five year olds, and now you want them to be Navy seals like Maddox. I asked you twice to stop pulling Chelsea's hair. Now you get a flash bangrenade.
Speaker 9: Get on the ground, Get on the ground.
Speaker 3: It's naptime, movels.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a reason why Coston thinks it's up to the victims to reduce gun violence, because for him, there's something much scarier than a mass shooting.
Speaker 8: In a Facebook question an answer session, he wrote, there is no doubt that this senseless violence is breathtaking, But I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away.
Speaker 2: Wow, this guy must have been the least popular neurosurgeon to work with in that hospital. Seventeen year old white male, multiple gunshot wounds.
Speaker 3: This is the worst I've ever seen. Actually, you know what would be worse? God, damn Carson.
Speaker 2: This is not that timeless second Amendment Again.
Speaker 3: It's just shocking.
Speaker 2: That's such a smart man, a brain surgeon could have this kind of perspective rushing a gun man.
Speaker 3: It seems crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only time that I've seen at work is in one situation. Yeah, it's weird that Ben Carson would think a zombie strategy would be the way to go. Unless wait a second, slow languid pace, dead eyes, loves brains.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this explains everything.
Speaker 2: Ben Carson is a zombie.
Speaker 3: Come on, miss.
Speaker 2: We turned to our senior campaign correspondent Dasilnik. Everybody, Jasie, what's the mood tonight in Oregon?
Speaker 6: Well, Trevor, As you can imagine, people are devastating. They're confused, frustrated.
Speaker 3: That obviously makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: Right, They're frustrated that the victims never thought of the obvious solution, rushing the gunman. It was so simple. Yet it took a brain surgeon to think of it.
Speaker 2: Whoa deasi?
Speaker 3: We're talking about rushing into a barriage of bullets? Would that really work?
Speaker 6: Tell you what, Let's look at the alternative, a little hostage situation that took place in Los Angeles where the hostages didn't rush the terrorists.
Speaker 3: I don't actually think I heard about this.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they took over a whole skyscraper. So it fell to a lone wolf New York cop with a wise cracking attitude, no shoes, and he single handedly had to take on those vaguely European terrasts.
Speaker 3: DESI, is that die Hodge?
Speaker 6: Those cowardly hostages just sat there, Trevor, waiting for someone toy yit be kaye them to safety.
Speaker 3: DESI, that's a movie.
Speaker 2: What Ben is suggesting is a fantasy.
Speaker 6: Fantasy. Ben Carson is the only realist in this conversation. Look, he knows gun control is off the table, and since we can't control the guns, we can at least control the victim's reaction to the guns. We've all heard this saying guns don't kill people. People shot by guns who don't rush the guys shooting them kill people.
Speaker 3: I just don't get a daisi.
Speaker 2: How can stopping a mass shooting be the victim's responsibility.
Speaker 6: Look, this is the world we live in. If you don't wake up in the morning ready to be a human shield, just stay home, okay. Look, otherwise you're putting everyone around you at risk of being shot by a bullet that you could have blocked.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Deasi Couson's comments just seem so callous right now.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, don't shoot the messenger, although that would be your right.
Speaker 3: So you think ben Causon was correct, then what?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I think he's that crazy. But at least he's offering solutions, and not just for guns. Take tornadoes, we should just rush them, clog them up with our bodies until they slow down and fall over. Ben Carson has got solutions for everything. Give me a problem, Trevor.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Uh, climate change, grow.
Speaker 6: Gills, stomach cancer, get lung cancer.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the problem, Ben Carson.
Speaker 6: Oh No, there's no stopping him unless a big enough group of people all rushed him at once. No, No, that would never work.
Speaker 3: Does he like everyone? We'll be right back, Thank you, jus. Welcome back to the Great Shows.
Speaker 2: Technology It's what separates us from the monkeys, and to maintain that competitive edge, we have to stay on on top of the latest trends. Here to help is one of The Daily Show's newest members, Senior Technology Correspondence RUnni Shang. Everyone, thanks Trevors.
Speaker 7: For decades we've been hearing about virtual reality, the immersive computer simulator technology that could help us do incredible things like perform surgery from across the country or seduce giant blue cheetah women. Now, after billions of dollars in research and development, virtual reality is finally ready to show us what it can do.
Speaker 4: Imagine you are at a performance of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, but not in the audience. Instead, you're in the middle of the action. That's the experience the La phil want to bring to the world with the new virtual reality app.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a classical music concert.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 7: Now I get to be bought out my mind from the comfort of my own home. I can't wait until they come out with a virtual reality flight delay simulator. Oh cool? What tenphin line for takeoff? I guess I'll just take all this CROSSI the puzzle in this virtual inflight magazine. Oh someone already filled it out with pen What a virtual dick. Come on, science, this is virtual reality. We can go anywhere. How about one way you can travel around the world and I don't know, go deep sea diving. And your dad says he's proud of you. You know, the possibilities are endless.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait, Ronnie, what did you say about your dad?
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, Trevor, the current options for virtual travel are a little underwhelming.
Speaker 6: Hotel giant Marriott is getting in on the action, using VR technology to showcase their properties.
Speaker 3: Let's let's take a trip to chen Wow.
Speaker 9: So on square.
Speaker 3: This dude's right in front of me talking.
Speaker 4: I'm don't say, he's got some breadsticks right in front of me.
Speaker 2: There's a gentle wind blowing, and I know that from the flag above me.
Speaker 3: Ah, my tourists coming to it end.
Speaker 7: Yeah great. I've always wanted to go to China and stand there for ten seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I saw the flag, I saw the sidewalk, I saw the great dude of China. I don't know, it's like I don't have to go anymore, but you.
Speaker 3: Know what, RUNI It seemed pretty impressive to me. It looked like you could reach out and touch that guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, it's just some guy that's.
Speaker 3: Not my dad. Why would your dad's, Trevor.
Speaker 7: It's not all fun and games, all right. There are also practical applications for virtual reality.
Speaker 4: Virtual reality has been tried before in football.
Speaker 3: It has never worked until now.
Speaker 1: There are limits in college on how much time players can spend on the field.
Speaker 2: There are no limits to how much time they can spend alone with a virtual reality headset.
Speaker 8: We did it.
Speaker 7: We found another way to exploit college athletes. That's right, Yeah, now they can take a break from football practice with more football practice. Come on, these guys get enough football already. They should be using virtual reality to experience something they'll never get to see, like a paycheck from the NCAA.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ronnie, I mean it sounds like nothing's good enough for you man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, now, I know how my dad feels. Am I right? But actually that's not completely true. There is one kind of virtual reality that I think we can all appreciate. I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with corn and you can joke off to it.
Speaker 3: Chris, when you.
Speaker 2: Thought the multi billion dollar porn business couldn't get any bigger, enter virtual reality you can head over to the Gentlemen's Club and you can go on stage to give a pole dance.
Speaker 3: If you get a lap dance, the girl is, you know, right on your.
Speaker 7: Lap and she's moving and gyrating.
Speaker 3: The experiences is remarkably real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, finally, this is what virtual reality should be.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Check out those geometric curves, so hard and angular, Ronnie, I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand why you're getting so excited about these graphics. I mean, why not just watch real people have sex on video?
Speaker 7: Well, sure, that'd be great, and hopefully we'll live to see the day where that technology is possible. But you know whatever, I was so inspired by the potential of virtual reality that I went out and I made my own program, one that I think could even be more popular than porn. Check it out.
Speaker 2: I know I don't say this much, but I love you, son.
Speaker 3: I'm so proud of you. Let's go stand in China together.
Speaker 2: Dads, want to check everyone, We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: It's okay. Take the buggles off, want to take.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is a filmmaker and he has a new documentary for Netflix called Winter on Fire. Please welcome Yevgeny Afrnyevski.
Speaker 3: All I wanted to do was get your name right. That's what I was going for, and you did it. Yeah, I practice, I practiced, Jenny Avinyevsky. I like it. It's Russian. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So this is a confusing story for me from the beginning. I mean, the documentary is easy to understand, but I want to know a bit about you and how you got into this.
Speaker 1: So Russian born, Israeli raised American as of.
Speaker 2: Now living in La yep, how did you come to make this film? I mean, this is a crazy story about ninety three day period fighting, you know, the president of Ukraine who was oppressing everybody.
Speaker 3: But how did you get involved in that?
Speaker 1: All the way from La You know what, one of my friends who was involved before in the movies with me, actually we did the previous movies, he literally called me from Ukraine and said, hey, the history is happening, so come down, we need to document this. And you know what, crazy as myself took the camera and went to Ukraine.
Speaker 2: And that's a horrible friend. My friends called me for good times. I don't know about friends that are like, hey, come over, let's let's almost get shot in a revolution that's taking place.
Speaker 1: Nobody was expecting actually to be shot there, because when I went there, it was a peaceful demonstration and it was a peaceful protest of youth. And you know what, it was an amazing festival of people who wanted to be hurt, who wanted to be hurt by the goverment, and nobody was expecting to be killed. Nobody was expected to be beaten at four o'clock in the morning, so they event started to unfold spontaneously.
Speaker 3: This was this was such an insane story.
Speaker 2: I mean, the presence of Ukraine basically decides, he says to everybody, I'm going to join with the EU. Everyone's really happy about this, and then behind the nation's back, makes a deal with Putin, who's a great guy. And people aren't happy about this, and they start off the protest and you are there for this whole process. What was the feeling like when you're standing in this crowd because you were.
Speaker 1: There for this, Yeah, and it was interesting. It was extraordinary experience. Because you just showed a clip about twelve year old kid that we literally can't watch how he was maturing through these ninety three days, and every character who was there was fascinating. For example, this kid his twelve years old. He ran from his home and been there from the beginning till the end, till they wont till the protesters want and achieve their goals.
Speaker 3: One of the things that.
Speaker 2: Really fascinated me was the fact that all through the protests, the protesters always said to the police, you are the people, help us in this fight. It was such a strange thing to hear them pleading to the police to ask them, you know, they didn't see them as a separate entity. They were saying, we are Ukrainian, Ukrainian, why are you beating us? Was that like an overlin thing? I felt like it, I don't know, I felt like that should apply everywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: Strangely enough, you know what I think what should apply from this movie is the unity. Because the unity was fascinating. People from all generations, all ages, all social groups, from reach to poor students, people who accomplished a lot of things in lives, different phases all together. This fascinating unity I haven't seen a lot, and this fascinating unity helped them to win. And another thing I think should people take is that they're the people and they're the real power the.
Speaker 3: Other people and the youth of the people.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't a Disney film, but there were a few poor moments where I laughed, and one of those is when the youth said we now have a purpose. They're like, we're not just sitting around basically playing video games doing nothing.
Speaker 3: A revolution has given us purpose. And I thought to myself, is that.
Speaker 2: What we need in the world for youths everywhere to get involved in politics as revolutions?
Speaker 3: Is that what everyone's waiting for.
Speaker 1: I don't think that we need revolutions, but you know what, what was fascinating, actually you said that you're kind of looking these and it was also human and the human side of them. We had a concert every night. You probably saw how the girl was playing piano between the protesters and the police. So it was amazing to see these human speed and even when the government basically made the new laws prohibiting them to wear the gear, prohibited them to wear all these.
Speaker 3: Yes, stopping that they made it illegal to protests.
Speaker 1: Correct, So what they did they wear masks. They basically put it the cooking pots on their heads, so which was.
Speaker 3: A great fashion choice.
Speaker 2: I noticed some people were like I'm gonna wear cooking pots and go up against the police ers. It was an insane situation. You were in it though. That's what fascinates me. You were there and you were filming the police. If you try to film the police in most countries they come to the person who's filming, and yet they just let you do it. Did nobody stop and say what are you filming?
Speaker 1: You know what? A It's not only mean, it's amazing. Twenty eight filmmakers who were around me, local filmmakers who each of them wanted to contribute their stories. When they heard that I'm doing this movie, they all came to me and said, hey, here's my story. I wanted to share it with this an entire role. So it's amazing professionals and non professions who were there same time. I do was having a badge of the local press, so it's kind of was protecting. But again, nobody was protected from the bullets, nobody was protected from the freezing, the weather. Nobody was protecting protected sorry from my language. Nobody was protected.
Speaker 3: My English is worse.
Speaker 2: Trust me out there, but nobody wants to protecting this. I love that you say, that's a that's a thing a valid lesson to learn. Badges will not protect you from bullets.
Speaker 1: Even gross protected.
Speaker 3: No badges, no badges. Thank you so much for coming through.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Beautiful film Went on Fire will premiere this Friday on Netflix. You really really should see this and will also open theatrically in New York and La I've Gennya Finielski. Everybody, that's our show. Stay tuned for the nightly show now here it is your Moments of Zen.
Speaker 4: There's a new anthics debate growing overseas. Some researchers in the UK are warning against the rise of robots, but not just any robots, sex robots.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast