Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren Elizabeth, Zaron Burnett.
Speaker 3: What's up a girl?
Speaker 2: How do you do?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty good. What's up at you?
Speaker 2: As much? Not that much?
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. I'm so glad you asked.
Speaker 2: I know me too.
Speaker 4: You lived in the South for a while, as did I, so I know that you're familiar with biblical theme parks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Well there was one in.
Speaker 4: Northern Kentucky called Arc Encounter, Okay, and it's an encounter with Noah's Ark, right, I want to make that clear. Yeah, So they had a huge Noah's Ark replica and like a bunch of other stuff. Right, it was just like a whole just imagine lots of like, oh, there's two animals and two animals.
Speaker 3: You get the idea, right. Well.
Speaker 4: In twenty nineteen, the Washington Post ran a headline updating people on how things are going at the Noah's Ark theme park Arc Encounter. And I love this headline just for the subtle irony. And I thought you would too. Yes, here's the headline. Lawyers for Noah's Ark Theme Park are suing it's in insurance company for rain damage. It turns out there was a landslide that encountered the arc encounter ruined it, like like a million dollars worth of damage, and the insurance companies were like, you should have seen this coming.
Speaker 2: I mean, really, repress.
Speaker 3: Anybody should see this coming.
Speaker 4: It's you, and you can't claim act of God, because come on now, I thought that was awesome.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: There's a whole lawsuit filed and everything. I didn't look to see if they want or lost. I just liked the lawsuit. I like the whole Yeah, nineteen if.
Speaker 3: You want to look it up, good luck, arc encounter encounter. So there you go. Ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous. Do you want to know what else is ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yes, Ethical crime. This is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous caper's heists and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Oh damn right, hot dog.
Speaker 2: If I got a corker for you today, really.
Speaker 3: By this guy, he's the cork don't put it back in.
Speaker 2: He's He's destined to be a ridiculous crime all star.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I praise.
Speaker 2: And there's there's so much to him. I just need to dive right in.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Name Arthur Berry b A R R Y.
Speaker 3: Thank you for spelling. I would probably be my head be going. Is it the day? Is it with A? It's with with A? You?
Speaker 2: Ethnic background Irish American? Place of birth Worcestern, Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know.
Speaker 2: You're a birth eighteen ninety six. Number of siblings eleven. It was ninth of twelve kids. That's a lot of kids to keep track of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think you know.
Speaker 2: So it's not really shocking that he fell in with the wrong crowd pretty early.
Speaker 3: Because he was out of the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, please, there's no room in here. And he fell under the sway of a local hood fellow by the name of Loull Jack.
Speaker 4: Like from Lowell, Massachusetts. It's like, I'm Lowell Jack. Right to work on your nickname, son.
Speaker 2: According to the Utterly Interesting blog, that one Lowell Jack was quote a notorious safecracker known for brewing up nitro glycerine in back rooms. As a boy, Arthur's job was to ferry this volatile cargo to accomplices in nearby towns.
Speaker 3: That is both a dangerous job and hobby. Like, oh, what do you do?
Speaker 4: I'm mixed up nitro? I mean like you do know, like you drop a few drops, it can go boom.
Speaker 2: That's a great first job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a kid, like, don't spill this.
Speaker 2: My first job was tutoring reading when I was a freshman in high school. It was your first job.
Speaker 4: Technically it was paper boy, paper boy. Yeah, I started when I was like ten years old.
Speaker 2: You know, Arthur running nitro. Yeah, everyone's got a good first job. By the time he was fifteen, he was way beyond that. Those just like a nitro boy, I imagine he was a full time robber boy.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: His first job made him one hundred dollars and that's like thirty five hundred dollars today.
Speaker 3: So he wasn't a cut purse like sneak thiever.
Speaker 2: No, he was breaking any city.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 2: It's not bad, but it was. It wasn't elegant. It was dirty work, not wet work, but not posh, and Arthur wanted to eventually be posh.
Speaker 3: Yeah this matter to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he did. He did his first stint inside, he got arrested and went to jail. When he was eighteen.
Speaker 3: Oh it was actual jail, not like boys school.
Speaker 2: Well it kind of, he was all grows up. It was actually a wrongful conviction, but whatever. He got sent to reform school.
Speaker 3: Oh so he did, yeah, right at the line.
Speaker 2: And then he decided, you know what, this this is terrible. I'm going to join the army. That'll be better.
Speaker 3: Oftentimes then, especially because this is right around World War One, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighteen rolls around. He gets sent to Europe to fight in World War One, and he was a hero there in flanders Field. He was a medic. He took a leg wound, breathed in some poison gas. The usual for that time and place. Now, a hero should get a medal.
Speaker 3: No, typically, Yes, he was.
Speaker 2: Recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross, but he didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Was he an official medic or more like in a like a volunteer working with the Red Cross where he's not going to get it.
Speaker 2: No, No, he was an official he was, Yeah, but he didn't get it because he failed the swimsuit category.
Speaker 3: He was actually did you know I picture everything? I know you do?
Speaker 2: He was actually disqualified because he'd gone a wall for a bit soaking up the nightlife.
Speaker 3: In Paris while he was injured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he took off. It was worth itbsolutely worth it, I thought, you said, R and R. He comes back to the States in nineteen nineteen, a man who has seen a lot too much. Probably he couldn't get a legit job. You know, he had a record and he didn't have any marketable skills.
Speaker 3: He maybe suffering from the PTSD as we got.
Speaker 2: Her back then to shell shock one thousand yard stare. So he went back to the work that he did know criming. Ah, there you go, and like he had a taste of the good life in France. You know, he'd snuck into these nightclubs. He saw how the other half lived it down exactly. He set his sights on those swells. So, according to this author Joe Pompeio, great writer quote, he inserted himself into New York high society, crashed parties, seemed to fit in in his tucks. But what he was really doing was casing the mansion so he could come back later, put a ladder up against the window and steal as many jewels as he could, hitting the fat cats. You love to see it around, calling himself Arthur J.
Speaker 3: Gibson okay, and sounds fake.
Speaker 2: And he went all in on like the act, like you know, Ethos. He wore the right clothes. He used that mid Atlantic Eastern New England English like Boston Brahman accent. Yeah, what's sometimes called the Harvard lockjaw. So of course she's the greatest novels. The English language was lit soon like that coming you know, thank you. He was acting like he knew and so this let him crash some incredible parties filled with incredibly.
Speaker 3: Wealthy people names I would know well.
Speaker 2: At those parties, in these luxurious mansions he strolled around, he memorized floor plans, he cased the joint Martini in hand, and they are names you will know. He was still getting the hang of it, though, and he managed to get arrested in nineteen twenty two to the old time. When he got out, he started working with a guy named Boston Billy Williams. Boston Boston Billy aka James Monaghan, so close enough they did.
Speaker 4: His crime name was Boston Billy Williams Bustin Billy.
Speaker 3: That is not anywhere near his real name.
Speaker 2: No, his real name is James Monaghan.
Speaker 4: So he's like, no, call me. I want a name that's easy to remember, like William Williams. No, that's not right, Bill Williams.
Speaker 3: No, No, Boston, Billy, Boston, Billy Williams.
Speaker 2: They each did solo jobs, but mostly they worked as a team, and they'd sneak in and burgle homes that Arthur had already scoped out. So this is in Connecticut, and then like Nassan Westchester Counties in New York posh zones in nineteen thirty two. He later said, quote I only robbed the rich. If a woman can carry around a necklace worth seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, she knows where her next meal is coming from. Right amen. So Arthur later wrote, quote I discovered that Thursday was the customary maid's day off in most wealthy communities. I cultivated these shy strollers and a gabby sorority. They turned out to be flattered at the notice of a man of apparent means. After a few cocktails, I was sympathizing with them over the large and small inhumanities inflicted by their employers, and gaining a rather complete picture of the workings of their households. Heart smart man of the.
Speaker 3: People, a good listener, good exactly.
Speaker 2: So he's even more a man of the people when you look at who he stole from. Per author Dean job quote. His targets were the Long Island, Westchester County, and Connecticut estates of the Ultra Ridge. His victims included Percy Rockefeller, nephew of John Dee and one of the richest men in America, Tulsa oil tycoon, Joshua Cosden, Lady Edwin and Mount Batten, a member of Britain's royal family, Wall Street investing legend, Jesse Livermore bankers and industrialists, executives of Chrysler and General Motors, a famous polo player, and Jesse Donahue airs to the Woolworths five and dime store Fortune.
Speaker 3: Oh five and dime. They still got rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is the big leagues. He's not messing around, and he would refer to them as his clients. No, And I have to say, like his sense of humor and style with his whole operation was just fantastic. He'd sneak up on people while they snoozed in bed at night, tap them awake at gunpoint, and then very politely ask where they kept their jewelry. Oh yeah, and he'd say, I don't mean you any harm, and then he let them hang on to pieces of like sentimental value too. According to the Express UK quote, one awakened woman was given an aspirin her bathrobe and a glass of water by Barry when he sensed she may faint from the fright at having her jewelry box stolen. So he's like, they're there.
Speaker 3: Calm yourself, you'll buy more. It'll be fine, It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: One socialite told the press after falling victim to him, quote, I know he's terrible, but isn't he charming?
Speaker 3: And the softest boys.
Speaker 2: I want people to say that about me. I know she's terrible, but isn't she charming? We're going on the charming part, zaren close your eyes what I want you to picture.
Speaker 3: We're going in really, yes, blood blood.
Speaker 2: It's early October nineteen twenty five, and you, Arthur Berry, are strolling into the lobby of the Plaza Hotel in New York. You leave behind the crisp autumn air and the din of Fifth Avenue and enter the cavernous yet warm reception area. It smells of bees wax, polish and subtle scents from the finest candle makers in France. It's all gleaming marble and oriental rugs, gilding silver vases stuffed with fresh flowers, and an enormous crystal chandelier. It is impressive. You are nonplussed. You cross the lobby and head for the elevators, your tailored suit cutting a fine figure and blending you in with the rest of the elite visitors to the hotel. Step inside the elevator. It's mirrored outer doors and deeply polished wood gleaming. The elevator operator asks you which floor. You tell him you're visiting the Donahues and their suite. They're expecting you. He nods and presses a heavy button high on the panel. The doors glide closed, and the elevator creaks into light. You full silk gloves from your pocket and nonchalantly put them on. The elevator operator continues to stare forward. Finally you reach your destination. The door's open with the faint thing of a bell. You nod to the operator and step into the landing. The gold leaf doors to the elevator's slide closed.
Speaker 3: When they do.
Speaker 2: You walk to the door of the suite. This is the current abode of James and Jesse Donahue. He a stockbroker, she the heir to the Woolworth fortune. You've been to a party here a couple weeks ago. It's basically an apartment, huge plays with large windows overlooking Central Park. You've memorized the floor plan and know exactly where you're going. As you expected. The door to the suite is unlocked. You'd heard the missus joking about not remembering where the key was, as there was simply no need to lock the place. It was also cozy and secure, she crowed. It's late afternoon and that pre gloaming glow lights the sweet and warm light. You don't expect anyone to be home. You step quietly inside, and then you hear faint chatter and laughter coming from somewhere deep to your right. It's Missus Donahue, and it's coming from the master bedroom. No problem, nerves, a steal you've got. You turn to your right and head for the living room area, which you know leads to that main bedroom, and it's on sweet bath. You know there's nothing of value in the living room, nothing of value to you. Missus Donahue's voice gets only a little louder. You hear a second voice. It sounds like an older Russian lady. You freeze for a second and then proceed. You know that once you're in the bedroom, the cavernous bathroom is to your right and around a corner. In the bathroom cannot see those in the bedroom, and vice versa. But the dresser you need to access sits just outside the bathroom door. You peer around the corner and you see that the dual pocket doors to the bathroom are almost completely closed, but a sliver ajar. Through that sliver, you see Missus Donahue in the tub, feet propped up at the end of it, surrounded by bubbles, a glass of champagne resting on a ledge beside her. On a stool next to the tubsits a large woman in nurses whites the Russian. She rubs Missus Donahue's feet and nods along to her stories, occasionally contributing a pleasant, muttered acknowledgment. The hotel massuse perfect. You turn back toward the dresser and scope it out. Jackpot before you sit. Two pearl necklaces, one ten carrot diamond ring, one jeweled vanity case, one diamond bar pin and two diamond set rings. You lift the valuables one by one and slip them into the interior pocket of your suit jacket. You slowly and quietly close the dresser drawer while Missus Donnahue chats away about trying to decide on which first coach she likes best at the shop down the street. As you walk back through the bedroom, you spuy Missus Donohue's pocketbook. Might as well grab that too, and you peek inside and quickly count the money. Two hundred and seventy five dollars. Not bad. Before you know it, you're back down in the lobby again, the doorman opening the enormous art deco doors for you, nodding good evening to you as you step lightly down the red carpeted stairs and onto the sidewalk of bustling Fifth Avenue. You've just made off with seven hundred thousand dollars worth of loot. Not bad for fifteen minutes work.
Speaker 3: You know, I love that kind of work.
Speaker 2: If I can get it right, that heist would be worth more than thirteen million dollars today. So well done, Saron.
Speaker 3: You need to get a job on that. Sometimes you get lucky Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Right, let's take a break and then I'll get back to you with more arthur Berry antics.
Speaker 3: All right, Zaron, you don't know that's my name?
Speaker 2: Is it? How dare you ask me that?
Speaker 3: No one ever calls me Dizzy around here anymore? Nor Woody? Is there both self given nickname Dizzy Woody.
Speaker 2: That's a new one.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that was before like things went bad for the Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry to hear about that anyway. Arthur Berry. Nineteen twenty five was a good year for Arthur Berry.
Speaker 3: Nineteen twenty five.
Speaker 2: Nineteen twenty five. Big scores in the criming and a big score when it came to romance. He got together with a political worker named Anna Blake.
Speaker 3: Political worker. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I saw her described as such, and I going with that, figure it out, and I dug around, didn't get any clarification, and so I thought, okay, So I just kind of imagined her sitting in like an office, like scribbling on a pad and handing out campaign buttons to people.
Speaker 4: Oh see, I'm over here, picturing her as part of like the New York political machine, like Tammany Hall style, Like she's an operative, like.
Speaker 2: Could be who knows such a wide category.
Speaker 3: Worker could be.
Speaker 2: She could be pulled, ancer could be working. Then politicians, that's a political worker. Anyhow, she didn't know how Arthur had the money he had.
Speaker 3: Don't have to ask any questions, just just go with it.
Speaker 2: No exactly. She never suspected it was from crime.
Speaker 3: Really, it's kind of a sweet anothing girl.
Speaker 2: I guess over seven years, Arthur continued his career in jewelry.
Speaker 3: Jobs, and she didn't know over seven years.
Speaker 2: His total hal would add up to more than seventy five million dollars today.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't seeing that kind of money though on a regular basis. Like he had to run everything through a fence, and that meant he was getting pennies on the dollar something.
Speaker 3: So he stole seventies, he got.
Speaker 2: Dollars, and it was still a lot what he was pulling in, and he certainly spent what he made, which I could then maybe see why Anna Blake was like not aware that all this money had come in because it went out before she knew about it.
Speaker 4: H So you like telling her like he went at the ponies, I was like suddenly flushing suddenly.
Speaker 2: I don't know he was known to blow twenty five thousand dollars in a night on booze and gambling.
Speaker 3: Wow, and that's like, that's mostly gambling.
Speaker 2: That's almost three hundred thousand dollars for those playing along at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wasn't good at gambling or drinking. No.
Speaker 2: According to the Winnipeg Free Press quote, Barry invested his winnings in a gambling club called the Harlequin, spent thousands in the city these clubs and speakeasies, and lived the high life while traveling to Miami in Paris. Yeah, so I mean I think that maybe she thought he just was like came from money, really, yeah, because that's what he was like pling around. Yeah, maybe she's so pretty. So, as we know, Arthur had a gift for insinuating himself into the world of America's moneyed elite, and on occasion their house guests, one of whom happened to be the Prince of Wales, the future Edward the Eighth. What Yeah, nineteen twenty four, Edward was nearing thirty and only like a decade away from his very famous brief turn on the throne. He crossed the Atlantic a lot came over here.
Speaker 3: Wasn't Wallace from over here in Simpsons. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And among his closest American friends were Joshua and Nellie Cosden, who had ridden one of the world's largest oil refineries in Tulsa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Tulsa Oil Boom. Things is like.
Speaker 2: Multi million dollar fortune there long island to state, the cedars in Sands Point became the Prince's favorite haunt. He loved going there, and the estate was like among the North Shore's finest. There were over three hundred acres of meadow and forest, three hundred acres of meadow and forest, nearly a mile of shoreline, a mile water views in two directions toward Manhasset Bay and Hempstead Harbor Tonya.
Speaker 4: Stealing resources from an indigenous population pays off, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: I think the Prince and him or her them they would definitely see eye eye on that exactly.
Speaker 2: So he put up this mansion among the old trees there, laid out his own nine hole golf course, Yeah, moored his steam yacht, the Crimper at the dock.
Speaker 3: Crimper. But the crime crimping, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crimp ain't easy. So the old Shanghai Kelly by the time he finished the place was valued at one point five million dollars, so that's more than thirty million today, and the Daily News had christened it Castle Petroleum Castle. So the neighbors they called it the Cedars, though they're like, come on now. The neighbors read like this, like directory of old New York money, Gugenheim's Astors, Vanderbilts, Whitneys.
Speaker 3: Us suspects.
Speaker 2: Right next door was Cloverly Manner that had just been built. That's where Vincent Aster Aster because he he's the one who when he was twenty inherited seventy million dollars when his dad went Titanic. Gotcha, that's like inheriting two point five billion today. It's that nuts.
Speaker 3: I'll try it, Yeah, give it a shot.
Speaker 2: Well, then, don't forget you would inherit you give them anyway. I already called DIBs on anything you don't want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd have fun giving it away. But yeah.
Speaker 2: So in September nineteen twenty four, the guest list at the Cedars grew even more glittering. So Edward's cousin, Lord Lewis Mountbatten was staying there with his wife, Lady Aduena, along with the Prince's close friend Gene Norton, whose husband would later become Lord Grantly. Oh wow, Barry knew exactly who the Coustins were. Uh, they were in the Social Register, Like all their comings and goings were always in the society pages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they got Castle Patrol.
Speaker 2: Castle Castle and the Castle Grayskull. They that's where like he looked through the Register and the and the society pages for his quote clients.
Speaker 3: He probably knows them better they know themselves.
Speaker 2: Probably their jewelry made the papers too, the spreads. Yeah, Nellie Cousden, she wore this ring set with a large black pearl that was so lustrous that one newspaper's roundup of famous gems ranked among the world's best. How like, how crappy does that feel looking through the paper? Like you're struggling and they're like, these are the amazing gems that these people.
Speaker 3: Twenties were wild.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Lady mount Batton, for her part, was like practically never photographed without a strand of super expensive pearls on her.
Speaker 4: By the way, the nineteen twenties are very similar to the twenty twenties in terms of the huge disparity and the celebration of wealth, and look what they're doing with all that money.
Speaker 2: They had to be happy for them. Yeah, no, no, I will not so. Lady mount Batten, she traveled with most of her jewelry collection, and she was absolutely undeterred by the fact that a burglar had already broken in and taken some of her collection when she was staying on the Isle of Wight, oh, Isle of White. Yeah, what did she care? She's like, I got plenty of this.
Speaker 3: I loved shopping anyway.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure I have all my options with me. So the cousins they threw this little party for the prince in early September, and Arthur's like, I smell an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, maybe more.
Speaker 2: He wasn't, I guess you'd say officially invited, or invited at all. He drove this red Cadillac coupe and he parked it on a quiet lane at the edge of the property and then kind of like around the side of this fieldstone gatehouse at the entrance, and then he went into the bushes in a tuxedo until like the time was right, pops out of the bushes looking like a guest lends in with the crowd on the terrace.
Speaker 3: I got lost, plucks.
Speaker 2: The cocktail from a passing waiter's tray as he goes, very James Bond, and then soon he melts back into the dark, and he made his way along the side of the mansion. He found like a little secluded corner and he climbed up a rose trellis onto a porch roof.
Speaker 3: Oh those are dangerous because they break off. Yeah, what you're doing exactly.
Speaker 2: It was a warm night and a second floor window is open, so he hangs onto the ledge, pulls himself in. When he gets in there, he puts on his white silk gloves for no fingerprints, and he goes from bedroom to bedroom. He scans the dressing tables, opens up bureau drawers, and then like the music and the party chatters all going on downstairs. He figured like if anyone came across him up there, he was going to either play lost or drunk or just be like I was looking for the bathroom. You know, he'd have some story ready. He comes up empty, right, He's figuring whatever fortune in jewels that he was looking for is either locked up or is downstairs on some ladies. Oh yeah, and so he goes back to the window and there are all these guests who had like started hanging out beneath the porch. You know, they're getting their drinks topped up. They don't want to move.
Speaker 3: This is this lovely place he stept up for some cool air.
Speaker 2: They're like, that's how he was supposed to get out, right, you know. So he's like, there's only one other way to get out of here. So he turns confidently, walks down the main staircase and straight into the middle of the party. That's the way act like, you know, pats his hair into play, suggests his bow tie. Head's right for the punch bowl, and he's like, you know, the burglary was a bust, but the evening with the Prince of Wales is a pretty good consolation prize. And like now he also he has the total upstairs floor plan memorized, like come back, Oh yeah, I need to be back. So when introductions came around, he said, his name is Gibson, doctor Gibson, and he has this like thick dark hair, blue eyes, kind of matinee idol looks. He fits the part beautifully and he wastes no time charming the Prince and his inner circle. Oh yeah. And then someone in the group is like, let's get away from the ladies for a while, which are just like okay, like boys time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you old man.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Then he's like, well, you know, I, doctor Gibson, would maybe want to go somewhere livelier, like we don't need to go and just cigars. Yeah, what about we drive into Manhattan and take a look around the class I'll be the guide. Yeah. And so a few of the Prince's minders objected naturally, and the plan kind of died down right, but like Edward didn't want this to slip away. So they're all still sitting around, you know, hobnobbing, and the Prince of Wales pulls his new friend to the side. He's like, you know, doctor Gibson, we must talk. I don't have if I go, I don't have any reporters following me. This is my chance to experience the city as a tourist rather than as someone in line to the throne. Let's go. So off they go. Their first stop on West forty fifth Street was the El Fay Club. I know all of New York knew it as uh Texas Guynan's place, Texas Gyan was Mary Louise Cecilia guynan brassy broad from Texas. That's the nickname. She was a former vaudeville and film actress, veteran of dozens of Westerns, and she then reinvented herself as a nightclub empresario and she would greet high paying guests with this trademark line of Hello suckers.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I've mention her.
Speaker 2: L FA club. So you know, Arthur and the Prince of Wales and like a couple of Prince's pals, they go, they walk in there. It's this narrow, hazy, smoke filled room. If you really packed it in, it could fit like two hundred people, but the dance floor could only hold like six couples, and that you had to be like intimate between the jazz band and like, you know, uh, the larger than life persona of Texas Guyan. The club drew names like Al Jolson, Jack Dempsey for prohibition, though they they had it handled. It's not a problem. The liquor lived in the building next door and was passed through a hole in the wall that was hidden behind a loose brick, so if federal agents came in Brick went, so the Prince and doctor Gibson. They got on famously. Edward struck his companion as like a genuinely good sport, and Arthur played the role flawlessly.
Speaker 4: Taking the future king to basically speakeasy in New York and wow.
Speaker 2: But he was. Arthur's acting like he knows, he's like he's of the world. Is name dropping, but not in an obnoxious way. It's just that like, oh, I grew up with all these people totally. He has this wit in like very polished manners, and so you know, he makes it seem like he comes from a very well healed family, right, and he's got everybody snowed. So from the LFA they moved to what Gibson promised was a swell spot on East fifty ninth Street, the Club Duville. They had an air of mystery there they and there was a pretty socially prominent crowd. They had a famous jazz orchestra that would play. Stop three was the Florida Club on West fifty fifth, where a piano sat in the center of the room and the group settled in for like a musical review. So come five thirty in the morning, Arthur's like, you know what, I'm heading out. I'm going to bid you all farewell. He flags down a taxi, goes to his Manhattan apartment. The Prince and his entourage climb into their car for this like thirty five mile drive.
Speaker 3: Back to the estate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah. So at around four in the morning, September ninth, nineteen twenty four, so later on, Arthur pulls his Cadillac up to the edge of the Cosden estate and finds the mansion lit up like a stage, and he learned the reason from the paper afterwards. The Cosdens, the mount Battens, and their traveling companion Jean Norton had just rolled home from a dance across Hempstead Bay, and so Arthur just waited, and an hour or so later, house starts to go dark, lights are going out, and he just simply re ran the choreography he established at the party a few nights earlier.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: At the Rose Cut across the grounds Rose Trellis porch roof through a window that someone left open. His scouting mission the evening he'd befriended the Prince was now paying off seriously. He knew the upstairs cold he knew the location of the Cosden's five room suite on the west side of the house. Nelly Couseden had like taken off her party jewels before bed, left him sitting on her dressing table, and Barry's like, okay, see you innocence, gift wrap this for me into his pockets. They went next door in the mount Batten's room, Lady mount Batten had likewise deposited her jewelry on a bedside dray scoops those up. He had his eye on a wallet as well. But Lord mount Batten shows that moment to kind of like stir, like he's gonna wake up a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was wondering, because you've got the chances of both like creaky hinges and creaky floors. I mean, he's having to get really lucky to push a door open, walking around.
Speaker 3: Get some rusty nail, and all of a sudden it's screaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Arthur slipped behind a window drape just as the light snapped on, and he waited in the dark until he was sure that like the mount Batons had drifted back to sleep, yeah, and then he eased back into the main hallway. When you add everything up, that he got. It's pretty impressive. So from the caused and sweet, that famous black pearl ring, oh, heap, diamond pins, ruby bracelets, everything added up to about one hundred and thirty thousand dollars in those days from Lady mount Batten. Three rings covered in diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, plus a platinum bracelet that had more than thirty square cut rubies on it. Forty two thousand dollars through in there, and Arthur was like, I think there's even more stuff here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like.
Speaker 2: These legendary Fletcher pearls. But you know, he's like, I just had to hide behind a curtain because a lord was waking up, like I know when to call it another yet pressure lone. So half an hour later he's back in Manhattan, and by noon the next day he had fenced every single piece, and even at the fence's standard rate of like ten cents on the dollar, his seventeen thousand dollars cut would translate to more than half a million in today's money. I'll take it, yeah, you know, and then he disposed of it in the traditional manner, extended an enthusiastic gambling. So the cousins. They were terrified of scandal and they tried to keep the whole thing quiet, but that didn't take.
Speaker 3: Also, they don't want to look like marks for other criminals.
Speaker 4: Don't bring up one. It's embarrassing too. It's like, we have this happen again, right, So.
Speaker 2: The story hit the front page of September tenth, and it shared space with the life sentences just handed down to Chicago's notorious thrill killers Leopold and Low.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's.
Speaker 2: The time frame here, huh. The Scotland yardmen and state troopers guarding the Prince tightened the perimeter obviously. The next night, William K. Vanderbilt the racing car and Yachts Vanderbilt he hosted the Royal Guest and everyone was screened at the gates of his Long Island estate. Among those guests, incidentally, were Nelly Caused it in the Mount Batons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unlucky ones.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised these people don't have like Scots with dogs roaming the grounds.
Speaker 2: They showed up right from playing golf, but they were like, no big deal, We're totally unbothered.
Speaker 3: I bet they are easy, commuisy governments.
Speaker 4: And when you know you're grabbing resources and then you're like, these are mine, someone else grabs them.
Speaker 3: What are you going to say?
Speaker 2: Right? Exactly a full week went by before the Cosdens bothered to sit down with the cops and they were like, you know something, there's no point insurance, there is investigating Lloyd's in London, and a second insure they're going to pay us out, which they did. Oh really, yeah, yeah exactly, And that brings us to Percy and Isabelle Rockefeller.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: So, Percy Rockefeller came into his money through his dad, William John Dee's brother, co founder of the oil colossus, major New York banker, and at forty eight, Percy was among the richest men on the planet. He was worth about one hundred million dollars. It's like a multi billionaire of these truths. So he was a heavyweight on Wall Street, he sat on dozens of corporate boards. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah. His wife, she brought her own fortune to it. Her dad was James Stillman, one time president and chairman of National City Bank and William Rockefeller's close friend and business partner. Oh and when her dad Stillman died in nineteen eighteen, his multi millionaire status passed to his daughter.
Speaker 3: Okay, so these two the business partners like marry my son.
Speaker 2: Basically my family exactly. So the couple lived at Owen Oak Farm in Greenwich, Connecticut, and farm is kind of underselling it. There sixty four rooms, three floors, and it also kind of functioned as a private museum for their collection of fine arts and antiques.
Speaker 3: Saying like no farm I ever been on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: October nineteen twenty six, Barry just happened to be in the neighborhood and it was like, you know, he kind of jazzed it up. He was an improv burglary, so he'd driven out alone to rob a different estate in the area. And then he's like, oh, I was too crowded with visitors, Like too many people.
Speaker 3: Vibes are not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then he's had back to New York and then he sees the farm. He's like, oh, hold up. He didn't even realize it was Percy Rockefeller's place until later.
Speaker 3: He just went off of like place is huge and it looks like let's get it done.
Speaker 2: He at first he's like, Okay, I'm going to go in. I'm gonna scout it and then I'll come back later. And then he saw the jewelry there and he's like, I have no discipline, I'm taking it. So he does this like brief detour into the bedroom, gets a four diamond set piece worth twenty five thousand dollars, gold, wristwatch, gold bracelet, pendant, ring. Isabelle Rockefeller, as it happened, had no idea of their market value. She told the Daily News, Well, I didn't buy any of them. They're all gifts. Like the watch was like when one of her daughters was born. The rest was like for other milestones, and that they're worth priceless is what she was saying. Naturally, So you know, Arthur's gathering the pieces in his silk gloves hands, and then the scream cuts through the house and it's the Rockefeller's twenty two year old daughter, win Fred. She walked past the bedroom and spotted him, so he don't the window caught him. When he caught him, he dives out. The windows servants night watch.
Speaker 3: Sorry, window dives out.
Speaker 2: Hope, hopefully it's not the third.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying, I don't know how many.
Speaker 2: Windows we got, Arthur. Yeah, this is three story building.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I've jumped out of a third story window blind and once you're on the air, you're like, this was not a good.
Speaker 2: Arthur was thinking. So the servants, night watchmen, they all rush outside and they see him hit the ground and then take off running to the edge of the property.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, didn't break a bone.
Speaker 2: Moments later he's in the car.
Speaker 3: He's gone, good friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a break. We come back more stealing from the swells and a little jail break is a treat. Arthur Barry, what a guy? Uh?
Speaker 3: What an athlete?
Speaker 2: What an athlete? Right? This superhuman? Let's talk about when he encountered the Livermores. Yeah, Jesse Lawrenceton Livermore was the original Wolf of Wall Street. He was the pioneer of day trading. What do you mean, like invented it?
Speaker 3: Thank you? I got that part.
Speaker 2: Some say Livermore was the greatest trader who ever lived. Really, like he's a wizard, he's amazing. He's a wolf.
Speaker 3: So he also is all about that action. So he'd be like bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly, that's totally. His second wife, Dorothea, She was a dancer in the Zigfield Follies, and she was known for her like flapper lifestyle. She loved expensive art, lavish home decorating, and as you can guess, they were a hot mess, very turbulent.
Speaker 3: Imagine some like bathtub jens of cocaine.
Speaker 2: Oh I think there was plenty of cocaine.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Arthur himself gave an account of the Livermore job in a nineteen fifty nine magazine article Arthur May nineteen twenty seven. So by his telling, it was like a masterclass in preparation. Really yeah, so word it reached him that a consignment of jewelry, like maybe a million dollars worth of stuff would be at the Livermore mansion that weekend, waiting for Livermore to inspect it as like potential gift purchases.
Speaker 4: Do we know if he's still talking to like house staff and maids and stuff.
Speaker 3: And that's how I find so I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Arthur and an accomplice he referred to only as Ryan. Ryan from the office drove out to the estate, hopped ahdge into like these immaculately groomed grounds and like settled into Watch.
Speaker 3: Here's my crew. Boston Billy and.
Speaker 2: And Ryan Ryan. I imagine Ryan's like an eight year old kid.
Speaker 3: Freckles.
Speaker 2: Ryan gets distracted and I gotta go pete Ryan. All right, So they're waiting, right the Livermore's leave with their dinner guests, mister and missus Henry Aronson and the two burglars. They like, you know what, let's not go in while they're not here. Let's wait till they come back, because they looked and Missus Livermore was wearing tons of jewelry, like.
Speaker 3: That's what we want that stuff.
Speaker 2: So like they wait, the two couples come home, Arthur and Ryan are sitting in the bushes together. You need to peek.
Speaker 3: Ryan, did you bring ice cream in your back pocket? Ryan?
Speaker 5: Ryan?
Speaker 2: So, like an hour goes by of them sitting and then they're like, okay, time to move. So they put a ladder against a second story window. They climb in silently. Arthur crossed the room and turned on the lights, at which point it became clear that they were in the Aaronson's bedroom, not the Livermores, and the Aaronsons were in it. They're like the yeah, and so before either of the Aaronsons could say anything. Arthur like assures them is this like soothing bedside manner he has, we don't intend you any harm, and like Ryan's keeping watch Arthur. Arthur goes to the dressing table and they're all all this jewelry on there. He's like maybe like five K worth a jewelry. So he picks up a man's watch and mister Aronson is like, no, no, no, please leave that it was a keepsake from my mother and it's only nickel plated, and so Arthur is like piped down and then he kind of like hints with a tilt of his head that he has this whole squad of goons waiting under the window with like itchy trigger fingers.
Speaker 3: Total lie, I like it.
Speaker 2: And so mister Aronson's like, okay, okay, missus Aaronson. She comes back into the bedroom. I guess like maybe she fresheningroom.
Speaker 3: She finds Arthur.
Speaker 2: Arthur and Ryan are like trying to cut the telephone wires and Arthur steps into the hall tries the liver more.
Speaker 3: Crying do they have like a butter knife? Like how can you not?
Speaker 2: Ryan? Dude? Like Arthur.
Speaker 3: Like, my first scissors, these are plastics?
Speaker 2: Got a butter knife, and he's just like hacking away at it. Ryan Arthur goes over and he tries the Livermore's bedroom door locked, which I think is funny because it's like they don't trust the Aaronson.
Speaker 3: Lock the door, you know, they wander.
Speaker 2: So Arthur pushes the Aaronson's back into their bedroom and locks them in.
Speaker 4: You know, by the way, they could have been just doing a bunch of drugs and they don't want anyone to come in the door exactly.
Speaker 2: So the Aaronson's they get shoved back in. Arthur locks them in there and he's like, don't worry, I'm going to leave the key with the Livermores after I robbed them. You'll be let out. So he and Ryan go back outside, go down the ladder, get the ladder carried around to the other window where the Livermores are.
Speaker 3: Take two and so.
Speaker 2: By this point, as soon as they pop in the window, the Livermore's wake up.
Speaker 3: They were able to bang a ladder up against the house did not wake them. Well that's good.
Speaker 2: Well they get they opened the window. Livers are like ah, and he's like no, no, no, don't shout. I just want jewelry, and so Livermore glared and told him like take it and clear out, and then he like was all fussy and fuming, while you know, Arthur and Ryan just kind of did their usual sweep, like took their sweet time. So Arthur he grabbed diamond rings, necklaces, pearls, one hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile Ryan's grabbing snacks.
Speaker 2: Ryan's just standing in the corner picking his nose. Ryan.
Speaker 3: So what followed is.
Speaker 2: The part that makes the story a legend. So he's rummaging through a dressing alcove for smaller pieces, and missus Livermore asks Arthur, like, what are you after now? And Arthur's like, cash man, I just want some your cash. And so instead of making him hunt for it, she's like, let me show you. And there's like this half hidden drawer underneath a shelf of these like frilly, colorful hats that she had a lot of, like one hundred dollars in bills. And she got all puppy dog eyed and she's like, are you really going to take my spending money? And so, like Arthur looks up at the hat collection and there is like you have immaculate taste, and he hands her the bills and he's like, go buy some veils to go with those hats. She's like, oh, okay, thank you, and she's like, oh, well, as long as we're negotiating about that too. Diamond and sapphire ring set you pocketed. It's a matching set. Those were gifts exchanged between me and my husband, and they're very sentimental. So he's like all right. Arthur gives them back to her, and then, remembering mister Aaronson's quote nickel plated, he hands that over too, and he knows it's worth like several thousand dollars. But he tells missus Livermore, hey, tell your house guests that he has to learn the difference between nickel plate and platinum.
Speaker 3: Oh. I didn't even need a magnet to.
Speaker 2: MESSI. At one point, Missus Livermore is like, I really need a cigarette, and Arthur pulls one out and lights it for her, like while he's robbing that, and then she's like, wait, please don't take my pinky ring. He's like, fine, yeah, take the ring. He gives her back her pinky ring and it's like wear it for good luck. So Ryan apparently the only person in the room still focused on the burglary, is like, you know, let's quit. Let's well, we're Ryan's walking around in like big girl high.
Speaker 4: Heels on his hands, daddy.
Speaker 2: So on the way to the window, Arthur hands Missus Livermore a key and it's like, hey, can you let your guests out? They happen to be locked in their bedroom, and so the two of them, Arthur and Ryan, they climbed down, walked to the car, drove to Manhattan, and within an hour they were on the Upper West Side prying stones from the settings. Later, in a second apartment in the Theater District, they sold the whole lot to a fence for twenty percent of its value. That yeah, So when the Livermore Aaronson robbery was reported, the police like didn't believe it at first. Why well, they're like, what burglars joke with their victims and like hand back voluntarily return thousands of dollars in July to them, Like this had to have been a prank. This is rich people pranking things. I don't even get it. And so then but while the cops are taking the statement, a neighbor comes in and it's like, you know, my canary yellow Chrysler roadster vanished overnight. This is the getaway car.
Speaker 4: For a second there, I thought he had named his pet canary bird.
Speaker 3: Long Mare.
Speaker 2: A boy named Ryan came and ate my canary last night. He broke in. I watched him just bite.
Speaker 3: The head off.
Speaker 2: So that's the getaway car, Canary Chrysler. The press charmed by this, and they call him the gentleman Burglars okay, because they have this quiet, courteous conduct. And they describe them as two well built, impeccably dressed young men in matching gray suits and gray felt hats. They were straight up suits and hats as.
Speaker 3: Whole the fashion poort.
Speaker 2: Ryan was dressed for his first Holy Communians. So a week later, same papers are announcing the arrest of one of them, Arthur. Oh, they caught one of the most prolific society jewel thieves in America. And so the break came on the evening of June fifth, nineteen twenty seven. A woman calls in a tip that Arthur, who's calling himself Arthur Gibson, was on a train to Lake Ronkacoma with a blonde lady. And Arthur was like positive. He always from that moment on believed that the tipster was either his old partner James Monaghan, Boston Billy, or Monaghan's girlfriend, and that Monahan had deliberately handed him a box of jewelry before he got on the train to guarantee he'd be caught holding evidence. The blonde Anna Blake, remember her, So she was carrying fifteen thousand dollars in unsold jewels that Boston Billy had passed to Arthur.
Speaker 3: So they're basically working as a connect to his fence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. So Arthur steps off the train, walks toward a waiting red Cadillac. Six cops jump out and grab him.
Speaker 3: I think that sounds like a set up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anna, by all accounts, had spent years in the dark about how he actually earned his living. He's the self imposed yea.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Carmela, she was like, as soon as he gets arrested, She's like, this is the first time I'm hearing of any of this, which is a great, great bit.
Speaker 3: I was just about to take Ryan to the Candy Star.
Speaker 2: So this is saved by son Ryan. In exchange for a promise of her freedom, Arthur made a full confession.
Speaker 3: Oh that's decent.
Speaker 2: And he was like he listed off like forty homes that he had robbed. Yeah, he got twenty five years. His confessions had been expected to earn him forty, but the DA told the court that his cooperation had actually really helped the police and then justice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you had twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Twenty five. He all still collected public sympathy because he got duped by Boston Billy, and because he was like, you know, it's really Boston Billy who planned all this stuff, and he.
Speaker 3: Was always always.
Speaker 2: Stiffing me on the split. And then he tipped off the police, as you know. And then he went off to Europe or something. And so as he's led away, Anna Blake like gets to say goodbye to one. They kiss, they're smiling. She pressed a small roll of bills into his hand, like, you know, put it on the commissary, I don't know, some ramen and a honey bun like. Then once he's out of sight, she just breaks down in tears. Arthur had served only around two years when a riot erupted at Auburn prison on July twenty eighth, nineteen twenty nine. And it should be noted that it was Arthur who masterminded the riot, so he arranged for two pistols and Ammo to be smuggled inside. And he said that his motivation for this, you know, riot and then subsequent escape was the news that Anna had cancer. So, as the story goes, he and two other men broke into the guard room. They overpowered the guards, They seized a cash of weapons, touched off the riot, and then all three instigators got out. Arthur took two bullets doing it, and he made his way to Albany and friends there arranged for medical care, probably went to a veterinarian, and then they continued on to New York City and he was reunited with Anna, and then he went into disguise mode.
Speaker 3: This is like like nineteen thirty.
Speaker 2: We haven't July twenty nine. Yeah, so no wig game, right, But he dyed his hair a little shade lighter, so bleached it up. He wore round glasses, grew a mustache. No one knew. Nineteen thirty. He rented an apartment in Newark, and he and Anna set up housekeeping as James and Anne Toner. Okay, Jim Toner, Jim Toner, So Jim Toner got summoned for jury duty twice.
Speaker 3: Really, he talked a convincing id.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he talked his way out of it by claiming that he was off visiting relatives in Oklahoma. Money was thin for everybody.
Speaker 3: Was he just afraid to step foot in a courthouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, I'm not going into a courthouse like this. This this whole act is working really well, but I don't want it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He couldn't go out job hunting because you know, obviously. But he did manage to collect a government bonus for his World War One service, and he applied under his own name, which is like Bold Flavors. It got him a check for seven hundred and eighty five bucks. That's like fifteen grand today. Ok So, around June of nineteen thirty one, he relocated fifty miles to northern New Jersey.
Speaker 3: By this point had and Blake passed from cancer, not yet she.
Speaker 2: Still he rented a room with a German immigrant farmer named Auto Ruder, and she showed she would join him for like weeks at a time, and Arthur pitched in around the farm and handled like the washing, the cleaning, the cooking. And then also he did get a Arthur did get a day job selling squeegees on consignment. What yeah, squeegees squeegee salesman.
Speaker 3: So he's like standing on a corner, is he going to door?
Speaker 2: Squeegee salesman?
Speaker 3: He's like, for the vacuums, I got squeegee.
Speaker 2: He got so comfortable in the role that he started going to like local government meetings like town council. He spoke at them, He's like, I have a comment all the like local power brokers were like, you need to join the Democratic Party and run for township clerk. And he did think about it for a little bit, but he was also one of America's most wanted fugitives, so he passed that.
Speaker 3: After you're elected, right, he'd be.
Speaker 2: Friend of this guy, George Losey. Losey was like the local news agent and also happened to be mayor of Andover Township, which at the time had a population of four hundred and seventy nine people. And so Arthur placed a standing order for a full stack of New York City papers to be delivered to the Farmhouse daily. And that would be a big mistake. When the Lindberg baby was kidnapped in March of nineteen thirty two, Arthur's name came up as a suspect and then they really ratcheted up to hunt for him. It doesn't fit his profile, it makes no sense, but you know it was pre mind Hunter profilings erin Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I mean they very much. Did you go, like, what are all the names?
Speaker 2: We know it was a bad guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There.
Speaker 2: So around September, Newark Police got word from this like underworld source that Arthur was hiding somewhere in Sussex County and they're like, he's posing as a windshield wipeer salesman. He always carries a briefcase that he says as samples, but he's actually heat and these. So they searched for weeks, nothing happens, and then one of the detectives is talking to his pal, George Losey, and he's like, we're trying to find this guy, describes him. Losey's like eyes pop, He's so excited. He's like, that's the guy who owes me for two weeks and newspapers and Losey's like, I did think it was kind of odd that a windshield wiper salesman on an isolated farm needed every new York Daily newspaper delivered to his door, and he's like, but let me show you exactly where he lives. Let's go get him. So late October nineteen thirty two, this huge posse quietly surrounds Auto Runers farm on a back road. Lucy walks up to the door, asks for James Toner. Arthur comes out, and then two of them get in this argument over the unpaid newspaper bill, and the meanwhile the detectives are all deep, deep, deep on tiptoes creeping up. Before Arthur can figure out what's happening, they close in and one of the great fugitive runs of the era ends in a squabble over a paper route. So Arthur of course is cleared of the Limburg kidnapping, and then he was also cleared of inciting a prison riot.
Speaker 3: O right.
Speaker 2: But he did get tried and convicted for the escape itself, which added seven years to his sentence, so in all he served nineteen years. He was paroled in nineteen forty nine, went back to Massachusetts. Anna had died of her cancer before he got out. He found work in a restaurant where his boss trusted him to carry the day's earnings to the bank each night, and he did not let his boss down. So in interview after interview, he expressed genuine regret for his crimes that had consumed so much of his life, and after about nineteen sixty one he just stopped speaking publicly about it. He didn't want to give any more interviews. He died in nineteen eighty one when he was eighty four years old, Don Yeah, and buried near his family in Worcester, okayter Mass. So, Zaron, what's your ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 4: I've been to Worcester, Mass have you, so when you say that, I'm totally able to picture the brick buildings, the whole thing. No, my actual ridiculous takeaway is I know this sounds really dumb, but he basically like regretted his life of crime, and I'm like, bro, you didn't hurt anybody. No, I mean, like that was that was some fun times. You have like an epic life. I mean, like you hobnob with the future king you you were able to like save the woman you love, you know, at least to better her life during her suffering by starting a prison riot. I would be so proud if I could say these things. So, but you know, let's look at this with two different sets of eyes.
Speaker 2: He is a great I'm going to tell you my takeaway. He's a great character, and we love we love great.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a great character.
Speaker 4: He totally deserves I was thinking sitting here, like when you're telling the story, I was like, this is like some of the movies before or.
Speaker 3: The noir era, when you get those thirties guys.
Speaker 4: You're like, they're on the run and they come back to the old neighborhood, and you know, like.
Speaker 2: I want a movie about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally want to move.
Speaker 2: Back about him. Let's make it happen. And with that said, I would also like a talk back Dave.
Speaker 3: I went to eat.
Speaker 5: Hello everyone in Ridiculous Crime Headquarters. This is ann in Wisconsin. I just heard Zaron quote fifty seven hot dogs per person in the United States. Did you include brought first in that statistic, because in Wisconsin we eat they don't even know for sure how many millions of brought first or as we call them, brots brots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, that's true.
Speaker 4: From what I understand, that statistic did include certain sausage products, and brought worst would be one of them, so fsked brought worse. Some of them are common worst, but I don't think it had all of the worst. So some of those like white fat German sausages, I don't think they're in their blood sausage.
Speaker 3: I don't think the.
Speaker 2: Common one apple chicken apples.
Speaker 3: Definitely not that counts.
Speaker 4: It was like all the ones like you'd find like in either Wisconsin or like a Chicago street, like, oh you got.
Speaker 3: You got fresh brats and good stuff. Yeah, so like those, I think we're good.
Speaker 4: I think you and I fit in under the same umbrella brats brats.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: That's a good question though. Does that take it into account?
Speaker 4: Yeah, technically you're considered hot dog people or we're all considered sausage people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God bless. That's it for today. You can find us online at ridiculous crime dot com. We're also Ridiculous Crime on both Blue Sky and Instagram. Email ridiculous Crime at gmail, leave a talkback on the iHeart app. We love love love them please and the app's free come on reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Lord doctor David Cousten, a dapper gent dripping in jewels. Our ridiculous assistant is bereft socialite missing a sentimental three million dollar necklace, Terry Maldonado. Fon Research is by irritated Russian massus Marissa Brown. The theme song is by jazz musicians unwittingly playing for the future King and likely nonplused if they even knew it, Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred producer Dave Coustin's wardrobe by mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are failed Plaza Hotel security guards Ben Bolin and Noel Brown. Ridicrious Crime Say It One More Time Pudiqueous Cry.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from iHeartRadio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.