Speaker 1: Natively and pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, this is Native Lampid. We are live from the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Welcome, home at home, and it.
Speaker 3: Is episode thirty three. But we also have a very special guest. And today for all the trolls, they will thank you.
Speaker 5: Here again this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's real talent.
Speaker 6: Yeah twice to do it twice.
Speaker 7: Let me tell you shout out.
Speaker 8: Shout out to that young lady in the in the Jacksonville Airport that worked in the subway who chased me down leaving her shift. She was making a six inch sub She left that person hanging to tell me she voted for me.
Speaker 5: You, Betty, you know what I said.
Speaker 8: I want you to know every vote counts and I remember that.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I'm happy here with us.
Speaker 1: Can I just say really quickly, I really appreciate eight that you are the sole voice of reason so often on CNN, and I'm excited that you'll be joining us for this another historic time, uh in Chicago.
Speaker 8: Think I'm happy. I'm happy. It's a family affair. I got y'all. I got uncle, I got uncle Jesse. You just walked out on stage.
Speaker 9: And it looks like you're welcoming a guest right next to ya.
Speaker 1: Hello, we are welcome woman in her district of Chicago.
Speaker 4: We just yes you hear hello, congress Woman Kelly.
Speaker 7: Bring up, turned around just a little bit.
Speaker 3: You are so happy to have a Congressman Robing Kelly joining us there. It's like it's like flying an airplane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Thank you, Thanks woman, thank you.
Speaker 6: So I guess so welcome should be from her.
Speaker 4: You're in my town.
Speaker 9: Okay, your town.
Speaker 4: I want Danny Davis getting mad.
Speaker 9: We'll take them.
Speaker 5: We'll take them. If you got.
Speaker 10: Twenty blocks south of McCormick Place, we got.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, that sounds falls. I know to talk about talk about the work y'all did, because one of the things I realized is that your coordination that you've done with McCormick Place, with this arena, with local law enforcement, federal law enforcement, protesters, Kamala Harir supporters, it's been seamless. Y'all have done good work. That's a testament to you and everybody else.
Speaker 10: It really took a village to pull this off, and it took everyone's cooperation. And one thing that uh, the organizers did, I'm giving them the credit that they made sure that all of us were in hotels that were not more than five miles away from either McCormick Place or the United Cent are very convenient, even though traffic is still a little rough, you know, But I just think you're right. It was seamless, a lot of cooperation. People really wanted this to work, and they wanted to show Chicago's best side book people come back and visit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's been seamless so far, honestly, like the maneuvering around the city. What are you most looking forward to about this time? We have a lot of listeners across a lot of demographics, a lot of a lot of age groups, and a lot of people be watching the primetime speakers tonight. Who are you most looking forward to here? And what do you want the people to take away watching this democratic this historic democratic national convention.
Speaker 4: Well, of course this is the vice President's show, so the president.
Speaker 10: But of course looking.
Speaker 4: Forward to seeing her.
Speaker 10: But you know, I'm House Democrat, so looking forward to seeing my leader the next speaker all and you know he can.
Speaker 4: He can speak Congressman.
Speaker 1: Hackeen Jeffries for our viewers watching Hills out of New York.
Speaker 10: And of course a guy President Obama can bring it on to really looking forward to everybody because they're all going to bring that little piece to the table to make it a whole, you know, in supporting our president elect.
Speaker 9: Congresswoman.
Speaker 6: Tonight, we're going to hear from I think this may go down historically is one of the most selfless individuals in politics, and it's this man. Oh, this man, help him, help him, Congress.
Speaker 9: But we're gonna hear from the sitting president.
Speaker 6: I just I'd love to hear any reflections you may have as we begin the long road to goodbye on the political stage for a man who spent you know, half a century uh nearly giving his time, energy, effort, love to this country.
Speaker 10: Seriously, we're gonna have to have many boxes of tissues, you know, because a lot of us were definitely Team Biden until he decided, you know, team Harris, and all of us are Team Harris now. But he's he's is who he's been, and he's been one of the greatest presidents. And what we said in CBC promises made, promises kept, and the promises he couldn't keep. The legislature stopped him, well, the court stopped him. But when think about his accomplishments, his legacy, you know, our Supreme Court justice, first vice president, African American, this first woman, you know black, you know president, So now you said.
Speaker 4: To speak it.
Speaker 9: So that's that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: That's all of his legacy.
Speaker 10: And then all of the things we've been able to accomplish, sixty percent more entrepreneurship by Black Americans, the student loans that I know people personally that you know have been helped by that, and he wanted to do more, but you know he couldn't. The lowest black and brown unemployment rate ever, you know, and I know people are still hurting, so we have to acknowledge that. But that's what the next president is going to continue to work on.
Speaker 9: That's exactly right.
Speaker 11: That's exactly right.
Speaker 6: Is there I was saying tonight, I was hoping that the cheers may be so loud that we don't even get to hear.
Speaker 9: His speech as it.
Speaker 12: Oh, they'll be loud.
Speaker 9: I expect, I expect it to be the case.
Speaker 6: I just wonder if there was a if there was a well wish that you had for for for this president beyond his time in service to the country.
Speaker 9: Uh, what would it be?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 9: What is your highest hope for.
Speaker 10: I just want him to know that he has loved and appreciated and valued and we will never forget his contributions.
Speaker 4: And I know he.
Speaker 10: You know, he might be a little you know, disappointed and feel some kind of way, but he knows how many of us were in his corner will continue to be in his corner.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, no, I was gonna say, Congressman Kelly, we are so grateful for your time. We actually had some technical difficulties getting started, so for the viewers at home, we love y'all. We were not trying to be delayed, but with all the excitement, we just had to keep it moving and Congressman Kelly, we did not want to start this off without hearing from you.
Speaker 4: Thank you first.
Speaker 3: We also have Mayor rest Maraka joining us, and we're so so happy about that. He's got a candidacy to announce this maybe the future governor of New Jersey, and we just want make sure that we get get you in and talk to somebody from my CBC fam Harrison and Kelly, So thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Mayor.
Speaker 1: We're so happy to have you, Mayor, Mayor ras Baraka.
Speaker 13: I'm happy to be on well.
Speaker 1: We are excited to hear because we may soon be calling you governor.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I love you.
Speaker 1: So we have a lot of people watching from all over the country tonight and our by Congresswoman h Our. Our viewers span a lot of different demographics, so we want to hear from you. If somebody doesn't live in New Jersey, you would still be a historic governor.
Speaker 4: And this is a historic d n C. So talk to us.
Speaker 1: Draw the through line for us about what it would mean to have the first black mayor of New Jersey at the same time that we may have the first that we will have the first black woman leading the country.
Speaker 14: For first black governor of the state of New Jersey will be number two in the entire country. Uh my frat brother Wes Moore in Maryland and me and New Jersey only the fourth in the country's history.
Speaker 1: Letters, we got a lot of alpha fai alpha of course, the oldest and the coldest.
Speaker 8: That's why, that's why I took them five years to graduate.
Speaker 9: Five years.
Speaker 1: And you are a Howard University graduates like our future president Kabla Harris so Hu.
Speaker 14: And they're only fourth in the entire country, which is a sad state of affairs for the country. But it means a lot of work that we must do UH here and I think the things that Kamala is fighting for UH in the nation of things that we're trying to organize around in the state of New Jersey, uh and and around the country as well. So we're excited for this national election, but we're also excited for twenty twenty five, which when New Jersey will make history and make me the first black governor in the state's history.
Speaker 1: Well, we're looking forward to seeing that. I think you're on the panel. Angela and mccari and Andrew and myself. We're all huge hip hop bands, hip hop heads, and you are. You come from the tradition of hip hop and spoken word, so it's something meaningful to us to see somebody we can relate to and talk to and who comes from our era, our generation to conflate hip hop in politics.
Speaker 13: That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm curious if you have any thoughts on the role hip hop plays in politics.
Speaker 14: Well in my place day, well today, I think hip hop will always be you know, as Chuck D said the CNN of our community right, and so or most depth says, wherever hip hop is going is wherever the black community is going.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 14: So when we look at what's happening in the hip hop community or hip hop music, good or bad, it gives you a kind of a point or reference to where we are in the black community and what we have to work on, what we have to do.
Speaker 13: How far we've come, and how far we must go.
Speaker 14: So because we say everything we want to say when we need to say it, and we put a little sass behind a little beat on top of it, and everybody can understand it, you know, and it gives you clear, real clarity in terms of what it is that we need to do to improve what's happening in our community.
Speaker 8: You're somebody who understands your place and your role, your place in history and what it means to be who you are and carry your name and the legacies and the shoulders that you stand on. Tonight was an amazing moment when Jesse Jackson came on stage as the first opening special guest in Chicago of all places, beautiful sixty years since we've had freedom summer, and Fanny lou Hamer was able to echo those words from the convention floor, talk about just your role in history, how you stand on the shoulders of those heroes and heroines, and how you take that seriously.
Speaker 7: Some people don't understand.
Speaker 8: How others do, but how that helps form who you are is not only a man, but also as an elected official.
Speaker 14: I always say, like some people inherit money, we inherit responsibility. And so while other people might get privileged passed down from the generation and generation, we get responsibility. We have, you know, all kinds of legacy that we have to keep going and keep pushing.
Speaker 13: People expect us to do that.
Speaker 14: In fact, they look for you to open your mouth when other people keep their ship, to step up when other people step back, to be unafraid and unapologetic. They look for you to do that. It's almost that you're being pushed out there. I remember that Donald Payne's funeral. I said to folks that people have things to say about Donald Paine. The reality is he had to be the Congressman as soon as he was born. Right the things that he had to step into and get ready for and prepare for.
Speaker 13: He didn't ask for.
Speaker 14: These are things that were thrust upon him, so he had to get itself ready for that. And it's the same with me and many people in these positions. They expect you to do what they expect you to do, and when you embrace it, when you embrace it and understand what it really means, then you go straight ahead into it.
Speaker 13: You know, you go straight ahead without fail.
Speaker 14: And that's what I'm doing, and I think I have a responsibility to finish the things that our parents began.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of parents, you know that our bond was really created talking about that nineteen seventy two National Black Political Convention, hunting for that agenda, and when we did lay hands on that agenda, Mayor as as you know, we see that there's so many things that we still have yet to accomplish. I know that you're doing the work in new work, and you're setting such a great standard and building your own legacy in your local community.
Speaker 4: But what will you tell local elected.
Speaker 3: Officials who tune in and watching this, or folks who aspire to run for office, how can we lean into that agenda into ensuring that this party represents the interests of all of our folks.
Speaker 13: Well, and you're right as some simple as DC statehood, yes, reparation.
Speaker 4: Right, they were.
Speaker 14: Talking about those things in nineteen seventy two where we are and we still have not achieved any of those things, right, And so it means that we have to not just be in the Democratic Party because we're in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 13: We have to make the Democratic Party represent us and represent.
Speaker 3: All the clean Woman.
Speaker 4: Congress Maxie Waters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we love you so, yes, ma'am, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Just so you all know at home, Congressman Maxie Waters is Angela's yeah.
Speaker 15: I'm sorry anytime, anytime.
Speaker 4: We have an audience that you all can't see. And she just said, I'm coming on with y'all.
Speaker 1: She so we know you're in the rest of the week, Yes, ma'm we will have congress Woman Waters on with them Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Careen cancel, We're coming back. Angela is talking to the audience.
Speaker 1: As you all see, well, it's live native, we got an audience interactive.
Speaker 6: If I could, I just I want to want to congratulate you for the excellent work that you've been doing already as a sitting mayor. But as a as a former mayor myself, I often encountered people who were disillusioned by the pace of change that they wanted to see in the community right, and then they would get in some ways frustrated when we might aspire to a higher position without all of what we want to have done and perfect in the communities in which we come from. And I wonder for you, how do you help folks in the community to see that your work as a mayor can only be further broad elevated if you were to become governor. But how do you make the connection for folks who don't follow politics so closely as to why it is you would go from being a local mayor with an excellent resume but more work to do, to now being mayor, I mean being governor something like mayor, but of a state governor of New Jersey.
Speaker 14: That's a good point because you're an executive and you're moving. A lot of these people who run for governor are not executives. Never ran anything that, never organized anything. The buck never stopped with this ran. They don't have to answer or be responsible for anything.
Speaker 13: But we do.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 14: So the things that we do locally people do get frustrated when you begin to move on because they feel like it took you too long to do what you did, and they want it.
Speaker 13: They want you to finish. You gave them, that's right.
Speaker 14: But but you know, when you move on, you have more resources, more opportunity to field is bigger, uh, you know, because what we're trying to do is heavy, and so to move it, you need more hands on deck. You need more people involved. You need more resources, more, more laws, more opportunity.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 14: And you also need to make way for somebody else because you don't want to be the mayor forever that key. You want to be able to bring people up. We grew up in a place where the mayors were mayored for twenty years. I never wanted to do that, right, So I want to be able to groom young people so they could take over where we left off and begin to carry it baton further and then be in a spot to give them the resources that nobody gave.
Speaker 8: Me before you. I was gonna say, before you leave, tell people what you what you need. I mean, because you know, likes on your Twitter feed and prayer right are good, but that ain't how you necessarily win elections. Andrew didn't make it that far on love alone.
Speaker 14: Right, I would say, go to Rask for Governor and donate. We need ten dollars, twenty dollars, thirty dollars, forty dollars.
Speaker 13: We need that. We are you know, we are high up in the polls. We're doing well.
Speaker 14: Our name recognition is big because we're the mayor of the largest city in the state.
Speaker 13: Our favorabilities are high.
Speaker 14: We just need the resources to be able to knock on doors and pass out literatures and literature and come to your neighborhood and your block. So I would, you know, admonish people to go to rasfogovernor dot com and donate as much as you can. And if you live in New Jersey, host something in your house and let us come through and I'll come talk to two people, three people, thirty people, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're HEARDing Native lampod fam invite the governor elects.
Speaker 4: We're going to speak that into existence into your house.
Speaker 1: Mister mayor. Thank you so much. We know it's very the busy time for you. So we want to thank you for joining us, hate you taking the time.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We are joined now by Derek Johnson, the president of N double A CP, and Angela and Derek have a unique history.
Speaker 4: Angela, you want to tell us about your.
Speaker 5: Bond you all have.
Speaker 3: Yes, we actually and the that's a good teaser for our next guest. Derek and I become like siblings because of the tutelage and the mentorship of Benny Gordon Thompson, who of course was mentored by Fanny Louhammer. And that's the sixth year anniversary that Bacari just referenced. Derek, you are running the most innovative campaign in restoring the brand and the legacy of N double ACP. Talk to us about why this week is so important for the civil rights community and and what you had to say in your speech in bringing people into the folk.
Speaker 16: Well, it's significant because we didn't get here because we woke up this morning.
Speaker 4: One second, Derek, we are yeah, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 11: You're on one.
Speaker 8: Yes, sure, that was Angela those I think.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 11: So we didn't get here because we woke up this morning.
Speaker 16: We got here because there was a lot of sacrifice, blood, strategy and work to.
Speaker 11: Bring us to this moment.
Speaker 16: And so part of what I talked about in the speech was given the history of the nineteen sixty four Missipi Democratic Freedom Democratic Party and all the work they did leading up to nineteen seventy three in large city mayors getting elected, whether it's Manager Jackson, coman young Tom Bradley turning the corner to nineteen eighty four to eighty eight with Jesse Jackson, who really established what was possible, would keep hope alive, and you turn the corner. You look at this moment, we would not have a convention the way we're having. And now if individuals didn't put together strategy, they understood the rules, they implemented the rules, and they didn't run to the microphone. They ran to the work. And that's what's really important.
Speaker 1: Derek, let me ask you, because there are a lot of people you and I met in Jackson where you did a lot of work, and in Jackson, the NAACP is like a governing body practically has a lot of relevance. There are cities where you know, when it's time for strategy, don't hear people say, oh, I just came from the NAACP meeting. So for people who don't necessarily have a personal connection to the organization, what today is the significance of the NAACP and why should people their care?
Speaker 16: Excellent question. So you know one of thing I'm gonna start here piably too. Ray socli car Micros to come to two Glue College where I'm a graduate every year and he would say organize, organized, organized, and he said, whether it was your Sunday school or this organization, I don't believe in organizational supremacy. I believe in getting the work done. And if the NACP is your vehicle for voice, then use it. If you go to another community, is that's not your vehicle, but you have a vehicle to impart a Black community, then I celebrate that.
Speaker 11: So for us, we got.
Speaker 16: To make sure that community by community we build out an infrastructure of black power and use the vehicles that are available in ACP. We are most predominant in the Southeast region where the former Confederate States, where majority of black people live, not large metropolitan areas. In fact, I met Andrew through the NACP when where he was a high school student and then went on to the family Because in local communities, whether you Florida with th h Pool, when you started Aaron Herroy, when I started that's the infrastructure.
Speaker 11: The backbone of the black community.
Speaker 16: We oftentimes look to major city politics and we forget about majority of black folks don't live in Detroit, Chicago, New York.
Speaker 11: They live in the Southeast region.
Speaker 8: Yea from Chicago from Mississippi anyway is nothing but the capital of minister Mississippi.
Speaker 11: I mean, this is nor North Mississippi.
Speaker 16: And you think about you know your father, right, your father was a part of that group who put forth a strategy as students to recognize that this generational fight we have us versus them all, versus young male versus female. It's a self defeating reality. Intergenerational organized have always been the most effective approach. Community centric leadership is the most effective approach. When you start having ecocentric leadership is the beginning of the end because individuals will fail you, but community interests will always seceed.
Speaker 11: And that's how I try to lead to NACP. So if I go to the community in a CP, ain't the lead?
Speaker 16: Great, plug me into what is the lead? Because i'most celebrate that too.
Speaker 8: Go ahead ahead, what are some of the I mean, we celebrate you often, but we don't necessarily know the challenges you face. What are some of the challenges you face and overcome on a daily basis as being the leader of the oldest civil rights organization.
Speaker 7: Yeah, remember the.
Speaker 16: Internal community external, because internal a mess. If anybody ever went to a tend of the Black Baptist Church, that's the nub A CP.
Speaker 11: We are all of you. Name it.
Speaker 1: Benny Thompson, who's of course ranking member on Homeland Security out of Mississippi, and he and Derek and Angela all work together in the House were of Congress.
Speaker 4: We look, we work for this lovely gentleman.
Speaker 3: He's also the superstar that you all were recognized from the January sixth Special Committee.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Boss, thank you so much. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 4: We're happy to have you.
Speaker 6: You arrived just in time, Congressman, because Derek was about to tell us what is the biggest challenge he faces at the NAACP and needs all of our help and try to address.
Speaker 5: Is money?
Speaker 16: Is people with common sense and courage. You get the money, common sense and courage.
Speaker 7: You know the content.
Speaker 11: And I it was been fourteen years ago.
Speaker 16: I was in DC for something and we were trying to get someone to activate because we was doing inside outside strategy and look, he says, you know, I'm getting older.
Speaker 11: You can't do this by yourself.
Speaker 16: We need to build something so we can replenish the progressive black community in Mississippi.
Speaker 5: You are fourteen years later.
Speaker 16: We have a whole system where we train people over nine months, twenty five folks, and we put them that we have. I mean, you have actually US attorney nominees, district attorney sheriffs, beautations, barbers. Because the leadership don't come with titles or degrees, becomes with courage and common sense.
Speaker 11: And that's how we see this.
Speaker 1: Congressman, I want to bring you in the conversation because Derek was just explaining to our listeners or something. We all know that a lot of times in the mainstream media when we talk about rural politics, the face of that politic is the body politic is a white person. When we know a lot of our community lives below the Bible belt in rural communities, we too are rural America. You have championed legislation the lack of hospitalization in the South. That was a piece of legislation that you introduced in the House to make health care more accessible.
Speaker 4: What would you say to the people who.
Speaker 1: Feel forgotten about in those Bible belts, like, how can they too sing America and be acknowledged that they too are a part of a country that sometimes it so often forgets about it.
Speaker 17: Well, thank you so much for having me. The notion is, in this democracy, you have to participate.
Speaker 5: What we have to do is to.
Speaker 17: Organize those communities just like we organize urban areas.
Speaker 5: They're no different.
Speaker 17: They've just been overlooked and once you get there you find out, Gee, they are just like people in the big city. And so what we have to do is have a joint strategy urban rule to make sure that no one is overlooked. Our problem in America is that we somehow, even in urban areas, overlook the black community.
Speaker 5: In the rural areas, they're forgotten.
Speaker 17: And so we just resolved a lot of black farmer issues in this country.
Speaker 5: Huge, that's right. But this is the fourth time that we had to do a pavement.
Speaker 7: You know, we did the pickfoot case pick for the one and two.
Speaker 17: That's right, And so all of a sudden, people say, oh, isn't that wonderful now, but we're still behind because a lot of people who still owe debt.
Speaker 5: Uh that got the money, but they owe more money in debt than they had.
Speaker 4: John Boyd, that's right.
Speaker 17: So what we have to do now is to somehow come up with that strategy that encompasses it all. And so that's why at a convention like this, we need to make sure that a lot of those policies after we celebrate, are talked about and that that that policy is absolutely how.
Speaker 13: We put it together.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favorite things about having worked for you, and I think still work for you. I learned from him all the time, and you will always say, we can celebrate this, but we got work to do, so we can't celebrate too long. What are some of the things that you think it is imperative in addition to taking care of our rural communities that have to be addressed this week. We know there are protests happening simultaneous.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but you know, to be honest with you, the protests that are going on when you talk to people in my district, it's probably number twenty out of fifteen in terms of priorities because everybody is in a survival mode. They want to make sure that kids get education, they want healthcare. Now you can talk foreign policy, but you know, it's about what I'm getting right here at home, and if the policies don't impact me at home, it's tough for me to look overseas at a policy. The other situation we have to do is to make sure that the policy make us don't overlook people. That paternalistic approach to politics is crazy. That means that, oh, you just elect me and I know what's good for you. That's absolutely ludicrous. You know, unless you've walked in my shoes, you don't know anything about me other than what you might have read. And so our challenge in this country is to put those concerns on the front burner. You know, too many times we've been told, oh, oh, we're gonna get to it. Yeah, you know, I got to get elected. And you know, look, every major entity in this country has leverage, but somehow the black community has always been told, well, you know it'll come, you know it'll and it never comes.
Speaker 6: Congressman, can you speak to as our nominee Kamala Harrison continues to make her rounds around the country a lot of time and in really important flip states. But I wonder to the point that you just made for the community that sits at home and says, we're always the backbone of this party, but we rarely rarely get to toil in the largest of it. What advice might you have for her, as she, of course rightly focuses on some of these swing states to ensure that a message is delivered are at home community that she's gonna be their president too.
Speaker 17: Well, that's why the speech I'm looking for Thursday night has to be encomplishing of all the Democratic constituents. And I think she is that person properly positioned to make those arguments on behalf not just of people of color, but people who have been left out. And so it's look, the people on the other side are gonna demogogue her for sure anyway, So you might as well come with those issues that are important, and once you come with them, then you go with it.
Speaker 13: But you come with sound.
Speaker 17: Policies, those policies around healthcare, those policies around education, those about income insecurity, all those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: I mean, one thing she's talking about with the housing issue, well, you know.
Speaker 17: When you put that twenty five thousand dollars down on the home ownership thing, guess guess who does the financing.
Speaker 5: Guess who owns the lumber company?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 17: I mean, so it's a it's good for the economy. Don't look at that family that gets a home for the first time. Right, I'm still putting water systems together in my district. When the system comes and says, well, why are you always helping them? I said, I'm glad you asked. Do you know who owned the pipe company that sells all these pipes for this rual water system? You know who sells the meter who? So all we get is the water. We get none of the economics. Now, if we are really radical, we would say to that pipe company, you have to have a conversity equit an inclusion program so that when that community gets water, they also get.
Speaker 5: Some of the economics that go with it.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some said that's radical, but that's paying community back, putting people in office.
Speaker 8: Let me let me just ask a question of both of you guys, while you're here and before y'all traverse and meet all these people, good folks out here. What I've been admiring is nineteen eighty four was Jesse, two thousand and eight was Barack Obama. Twenty sixteen was also Hillary with a little history. They all stand on the shoulders of Fanny Lou and they stand on the shoulders of Shirley Chisholm. But what are you seeing in this convention that makes Kamala Harris a little bit different? And what do you hope we learned from all of those heroes and heroines that have come before. Well, and that's for both of that one, both of you guys.
Speaker 17: Yes, yeah, Well I knew Fann and Lou oh very personally. She became my role mal. The first real campaign I worked in was her campaign for Congress, of which I now represent that district. So you know, history has a way of repeating itself, so that legacy we can't let become forgotten. So for sixty years she came and said to Democrats, you know you got to do better. You know, you can't patronize us and then enjoy all the spoies of victory.
Speaker 5: You have to be inclusive.
Speaker 17: And that's what we have to do as a people, is not let our friends forget us, that's right, not let our friends take us for granted. And so for Fannyluke celebration sixty years, we're still in training.
Speaker 5: Because we haven't fulfilled.
Speaker 17: That notion that somehow, as fan Lu said, we're sick and tired of being sick and tired. And a lot of us are sick and tired of being sick and tired of telling our friends what they need to do.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, say it for the people in the back bus.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, you know the lesson and all of this is none of us can do it by ourselves. And if we think we are the super person that's gonna do by ourselves, we're gonna fail every time time, and we're going to disrupt progress of people. You know, I grew up in Detroit. I come to Mississippi. I went to Tugaloo, and instantly I was surrounded by, you know, a large number of folks who were civil rights veterans, whether it's snake or whatever else.
Speaker 13: And I felt at home.
Speaker 16: Why because the lessons that were there for me not to make old mistakes. We've got to stop making old mistakes. There as new ones to make. Secondly, you have people who were committed to improve the quite of life of our communities, and they had been doing it for generations. Thirdly, I have a responsibility to both listen to the wisdom and train the youth, because if we don't do that, we will lose the progress as made. We wouldn't sit we'd be we wouldn't be sitting here. We would have never had a Barack Obama if it wasn't for your father, if it wasn't for a fella new hammer, if it wasn't for you can name another a lot of people, including conference maker, ell a banker, you know, because they sacrificed and they would not you know, celebrities. Then we celebrate them more now, but now that they're dead than when they was alive. And so we need more people who are willing to sacrifice to improve the quality of life of all black folks and not just for themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I ask so, Congress, might I want to tell you that Angela told us a story one time about when she was your staffer and she was exhausted with something, and she made the mistake of saying she was tired, and you said you tired, stressed out, stressed out out, stressed out?
Speaker 4: Are you stressed out?
Speaker 1: We heard you gave her quite the tongue lashing that day for being stressed out.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, when I was a young child, uh who loved me the most. Yes, gave me the worst whooping of my life. And that was my mama.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 17: And look and after Mama disciplined me, she said, I did that because I love you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all worse.
Speaker 17: She said, you know that hurt me more than it hurts you. So I take Angela in that perspective because I see the talent. The other thing she didn't tell you she might have is I told her that her job was to help me make some black folk rich in the government space. She looked at me and said, I said, look, I don't care what you do. If we need to bring booring Lockheed Martin the CEOs here and asked them about diversity, asked them about and so twice a month we brought those folks in and we asked, you know, do y'all have black people?
Speaker 4: I love that, you know, I mean, you know, I mean.
Speaker 5: It's it's what you do.
Speaker 1: How many people on your board, your corporate board, how many in the c suite the executive rings.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's right, we appreciate you.
Speaker 17: But now that the problem with that is those companies will go around my back. That's somebody who look like me and every time and try to you know, say, oh, well, you know, we can't talk to Benny, but we can talk to Robert.
Speaker 9: Perpetual, one of the people.
Speaker 4: Harriet was left behind.
Speaker 16: You let me sorry when you work for the count man my second day, he said, okay, let me tell you what you do.
Speaker 11: Your jobs have black folks, you may you're gonna make a mistake.
Speaker 16: That's okay. As long as you having black folks. If you make the mis sake, ain't having black folks. And we got a problem. But as long as you having black folks. Yeah, and you fast forward, you talk to our college. Our college will say tell you that his consultancy goverment relationships firm would not exist but for the contry because folks came to his office. One of meet he said, y'all come back when y'all got somebody that can talk to Well, you said, you got a recommendation. It's fell over here next to you know, Art starts the group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he did it all ethically and above board. That's most important thing. Yes, absolutely, because you.
Speaker 5: Know car they would tell me, so, you know, if I could find somebody.
Speaker 7: Right there, but if I could find some if I could find some talent right today.
Speaker 3: Some times that made us put together a book for hearing witnesses, for appointees in the administration, for staffers. We absolutely had to do that. So you you talked right to his heart.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we tried to do on mainstream media as well, because it's like, there are black people who can talk about Middle East politics, there are black people you can talk about domestic policies.
Speaker 6: But the example of the congressman what I love about it? And Derek, I'm going to tell you something about you and this but is it is? It is transferable any if you were an elected official, you're a policymaker. You are a person out there who runs owned business and you are operating right now, and you're not asking the sensible questions about why doesn't this reflect the community that we have?
Speaker 9: Why doesn't this room reflect the community that we have?
Speaker 6: When I lost the race for governor and twenty eighteen, one of the first calls I got in late twenty eighteen was from that brother over there, Derek Johnson, asking me, are you set up?
Speaker 9: Are you okay?
Speaker 6: He knew that, in addition to me having come out of that race that way, that I was also no longer mayor, and he didn't know what my economic situation was, but he can't go to do it. And I had kids, and he said he wanted me to be okay. And I use these two examples. One, they're excellent examples of.
Speaker 5: Humans.
Speaker 6: But their clarity around the way in which they are to impact the world is clear. But it doesn't belong to them. It's transferable. All of us can learn from it and.
Speaker 9: We can repeat it. And gentlemen, we thank you for that examptly, you know.
Speaker 8: And I think I messed up because I asked him should I start a gofund me?
Speaker 13: Yeah, take it.
Speaker 5: He didn't take mine.
Speaker 7: Coming from the heart, we can't help.
Speaker 4: But before you leave the set, I do want to ask.
Speaker 1: You have two former staffers here, Which of the two former staffers.
Speaker 4: The most.
Speaker 7: The one you like the best?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 17: He just looked, but look, look, uh, my job is to train another hundred people.
Speaker 5: And look when somebody comes and.
Speaker 17: Complained to me about how hard Angela is on them, I know Angela is doing a job.
Speaker 5: Right When they say that Derek that you know, I don't understand. I can't talk to Derek. He did.
Speaker 17: Derek's doing his job, so I judge them by the people who come to me complaining about if nobody's complaining that, that's right, and we have a lot to do, but our charge for this audience. We now have people in positions who can help us make a difference, and somehow they take the coloration and character of the enemy. And so we now find ourselves button the heads with people who look like us, trying to convince them that it's all right to do business with people who look like you. Now we would never say do business with someone that's not qualified, but the most of the people you're doing business with you don't even know. One of the things I'm doing now is mentoring people who are new mayors in cities. I was a mayor in the seventies, and I said, especially when those mayors have either been congress people or something like that. I said, Now, when you win that office, uh, and this consultant comes up who've been representing that city that you've been the congress person and you never met them.
Speaker 5: Problem, run them off.
Speaker 17: Run them off if they didn't see the value of you when you were in this other position. When you hear now, yeah, yeah, if you want to watch out, they'll go and bring somebody who looks like you that you don't even know. They're not going to even give you the respect of saying, look, I'm looking for somebody.
Speaker 5: Send me some people you might know. They'll go pick Joe blow off the street, put put a suit on him.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yes, yeah, Congressman, we know, we know you and Derek are both super busy.
Speaker 4: We want to thank you guys so much. Appreciate finest Congressman. We appreciate, we love, thank you.
Speaker 1: We are being joined right now by Democratic Senator Race. We're being joined right now by Democratic Senator Corey Booker from New Jersey. He was one of three senators black senators in the upper chamber of the House during Vice President President elect Kamala Harris's tenure in the senior Senator.
Speaker 4: We're so happy to have you. Thank you so much for taking I.
Speaker 7: Am thrilled to be here.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We are home.
Speaker 18: I feel I would just hang out with you guys if there weren't thousands of people watching.
Speaker 7: I know you got to run quickly. We just grabbed you off the street real quick.
Speaker 8: If you could tell Kamala Harris what we need to do over the next four days to elicit that hope that we know reverberates within you and get people turned out to vote.
Speaker 7: What you're telling her.
Speaker 18: I want to tell people the truth right now, Kamala Harris is next level, exceptional, extraordinary. I got a chance to serve for word. I'm not worried about her. The thing that's most exciting to me right now and I'm telling you right now, all of us maybe a year or two old to really understand this, what is happening with young people in America who many of them were maybe four.
Speaker 12: Or five, six, seven years old in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 18: They are now equipped with tools and technology we never even dreamed of.
Speaker 12: They are driving this campaign.
Speaker 18: This will be the first true millennial gen Z election of our lifetime because they are making her viral, They are elevating her and creating enthusiasm, and so I just want to say to the young people, you will decide the outcome of this election. I know that we have older voters and voting at high percentages and the like. But the hype, the energy, the excitement, the funk, the groove, the things that I think bring real soul to a campaign. I think that's coming from the top, but it's really being sourced from a new generation of young people who, for the first election in their lifetime, are really ascending.
Speaker 3: Senator Booger is always so good to see you. We were told you had about five seconds.
Speaker 1: So what an exciting time? Only amazing people walking by, Angela. What was it like for you having your former boss on sets?
Speaker 4: You let me tell you.
Speaker 3: So I get to serve on the CBC Institute board with Congressman times and and with Derek actually, so it's always a good time. And so I knew he would be excited t if you got right to the thing that he both loves and hates, and so I knew. I was like, Oh, she got him on a roll, baby, And I love to see him like that because people normally see BGT so reserved. So to hear him like in his comforta and you could see he was like, Oh, we're gonna post up here on a.
Speaker 4: Board, let's go. So we love that.
Speaker 3: We it's also a pleasure who talked already about but Caari.
Speaker 4: And a guest host with us.
Speaker 3: We're doing a joint podcast today with the Bacari Sellers Podcast, and right now we're walking at Congressman Jamal Bowman.
Speaker 4: New York.
Speaker 7: You got to stop doing. You gotta stop doing before you put your shirt on.
Speaker 12: Okay, and then he got that got that medium.
Speaker 3: He's literally joining.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 11: I'm just happy, Congressman.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, congress Yeah, we are so happy to have you with We don't call you congressman as long as you in the House of.
Speaker 9: Congressman until he runs for Senate.
Speaker 4: I do want to just say thank you. I know you're busy, and and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: I do just want to say a lot of people don't know a lot about your background, but you are a pH d. You have worked in education, you are married to an educator, and you know sadly you lost your congressional bid. We talked about it on our show, but your background kind of got lost in that narrative. So I'm curious, because you know, we're here at another historic Democratic national convention. There are protests out that were connected to a lot of the issues why some arguably why you may have lost your district. What would you like to say to the Native Land Pod audience today, First of all.
Speaker 5: Peace and love to you all. Really good to be here with you.
Speaker 19: I think this is the first time Angela has interviewed me on any platform. So great to be with Angela Baccari brother, Andrew, you.
Speaker 5: And I go way back. Yes, well, good to be with you all.
Speaker 19: And yes, education for twenty years before running for Congress, teacher guidance counselor, middle school principal for ten years now.
Speaker 5: The PhD ed d in education leadership.
Speaker 19: Special education circles.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I ran because of my kids.
Speaker 19: I governed for the kids and families who have been marginalized and least loss and left behind. It was a great time in Congress. The work will continue for the rest of my life. We all gonna fight for justice no matter what. And yeah, regarding the protests, you know, we're going to continue to screen free Palestine. We're going to continue to talk about a foreign policy that's rooted in diplomacy and peace and self determination for all people, no matter what. And the work continues from the Bronx to Mount Vernon to you know, Gaza, We're gonna keep doing the work.
Speaker 8: We ask you the personal question because one of the things that Andrew had to go through, I guess what year was that? Andrew twenty eighteen year raised twenty eighteen in twenty eighteen he went through yesterday. In twenty fourteen, I had to go through it. I ran for lieutenant governor, gave up my state house seat, Andrew gave up his mayoral seed and ran and wasn't successful. We tried to trip away at the glass and now you're in this same phase. It kind of feels like you're in the wilderness for a minute because you've you've been attached to something thing for so long. But tell tell people who have not been there, you know, because a lot of times they see politicians win or lose and they don't really know what it feels like to go through that when you're not on that high of winning.
Speaker 7: And what are you doing to help.
Speaker 8: Figure out what the next step is and how are you getting there? What's up, brother Ford, to determine, to determine what's next for you.
Speaker 5: That's a great question.
Speaker 19: First and foremost, rest, pray, meditate, spend time with my family first and foremost. That's what I did for the first few weeks after the race. Races are exhausting, as we all know, exhausting, So just resting and spend time with my family.
Speaker 9: Especially when they spend time calling you something you're not well.
Speaker 19: You are not more money spent against me than any congressional race in history, And so the ads were constant, the mailers were constant to tell it was really really crazy.
Speaker 5: So first and foremost rests.
Speaker 19: Secondly, quite honestly, I feel a same of liberation after this loss, because it's not really you know, every loss is a learning experience, and I learned a lot in Congress for four years. I still have deep, great relationships in Congress. I'm going to continue to have those relationships. But you can have impact and do good work outside of Congress, and in Congress sometimes you know, I'm a little rough around the edges, so I would get myself in trouble every now and then in Congress. Now I feel like, Okay, I'm a private citizen who's still going to do everything I can to serve the people of my district or around the country and around the world.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you, Speaking of around the world, one of the things that Congressman Timpson just talked about when he was on is that in his.
Speaker 4: District, the issue of Israel Palestine is like.
Speaker 3: A number twenty because folks are just fifteen again, twenty out of fifteen. Okay, all right, So But my point is that he was saying that they are just on kitchen table issues and survival themselves. What do you say to folks who have taking this on as issue number one, right and the folks who are seeing this huge gap of it being number twenty out of fifteen, how do we close that gap? Because there is so many similarities between these causes of oppression and fighting against it for liberation.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think it speaks to the diversity of our country and the diversity of our district.
Speaker 5: Like, depending where you are, it may not be, it may not even be on the radar.
Speaker 19: At the same time, in my district, it was very heavily on the radar, particularly on the other side in terms of when you look at the majority of Americans, the majority of American support a permanent ceasefire, but most some people, most people in my DISTRICTI vote against me, do not support that. And so it was a top issue in my district for the kitchen table issue.
Speaker 5: People in my district.
Speaker 19: The conversation around why are we saying spending four billion dollars a year to support the killing of women and children and civilians in Gaza when I'm struggling to pay my rant. I'm struggling to pay my mortgage, I'm struggling to for childcare, I'm struggling to pay my utilities, I'm struggling to afford my day to day existence, and we're spending billions overseas to support war. So that's one way to bridge the gap. Secondly, and you know, we could debate this in different settings. Many people see our support of the state of Israel and the way Benjamin and Yahoo particular is behaving as supporting white supremacy. Yes, and that white supremacy is oppressive to black and brown people here all the time, whether you look at a Project twenty twenty five or even some of the Democrats policies historically tough on crime policies.
Speaker 5: White supremacy impacts us.
Speaker 19: All impacts us in the justice system or injustice system and the healthcare system, the education system and housing, and it impacts us in our foreign policy.
Speaker 5: So those are a couple of ways we bridge the gap in our district.
Speaker 4: I love that through line.
Speaker 1: I think that makes so much sense, given though that there are you know, a significant amount of young people, especially who are protesting and pleading with Vice President Kamala Harris. Our President elect, I speak it into existence. Yes, absolutely, given that there are people though, who are frustrated by the current administration's policy, President Biden, on President Biden's watch, the amount of fiscal support that has been given to Israel. What would you say to those young people, which I think is what Angela was alluding to, for those people who are making it their central issue, what is your piece of advice? Because it's not going to be better under a president Donald Trump, No, it's not. Can they continue to be heard? I guess, pressure but also support this president because honestly, it's starting to feel like, you know, sometimes the on the Palace Indian side, black people are supporting white supremacy is like time out. Don't let the old pressor our community.
Speaker 19: That's that's that's one of the insidious aspects of white supremacy is constant and conquer. It's very challenging because I've met Palestinians who have lost twenty thirty, forty fifty members of their family right in Gaza because they all live together. So you bomb a building, you're killing generations of people. So it's going to remain a top issue for the Palasainian community. It's going to remain a top issue by extension for the Muslim community and for the Arab community and for Middle Eastern communities, and so continue to speak up in protest as what our country is founded upon. But you also got to understand that when we talk about the fight against white supremacy, black people have always been at the forefront of that fight, and we will continue. Look at this, brother here, answer question seriously, and.
Speaker 4: You come up here.
Speaker 7: Let me just tell you you ain't much flavor.
Speaker 3: Flavor of I just want to tell you, and for all of our listeners, you guys, Tiffany knows. Tiffany's always telling me I need to calm down. I always ready to have a meltdown. I was literally about to be in tears Tiff and action orientated and shut us. Tiff with her ability to just think and problem solve, went over to Roland and was like, ro we got this problem with our cameras.
Speaker 4: Can you hook us up? Roland's like, say less, he let us borrow.
Speaker 3: Some equipment so we can have this live stream today.
Speaker 4: Y'all, we don't know what was going.
Speaker 20: On with our I'll let you borrow five thousand dollars fly pack that we had built let him have his moments.
Speaker 3: But we're very very grateful. It would not have happened without you. I know, our listeners and our viewers are very grateful. So we thank God for you, Rolling and you're full, and I'll say a kuamba from all the people who.
Speaker 4: Are watching.
Speaker 20: Right Okay, but but I'm a version that right always, I'm gonna think our Blackstar Network of folks who give our show, because that's how we were able to buy two of those we brought to we only using one, so they made that possible.
Speaker 13: For y'all.
Speaker 19: Thank you.
Speaker 20: So if anybody out there listening and y'all want to give some money, go to our cash app, Dallas Sidne r M unfiltered, PayPal or Martin unfiltered, vemo is Orem unfiltered, and Zail rolling at Rolling dot com.
Speaker 4: Can I just say, though this Roland Martin, they still interview before no interview with.
Speaker 1: Bro I just want while we have you, though, I do want to seriously thank you because you know you and I as a journalist, how how important it is to not only have black faces but black voices, and the Black Star Network you carry things that are not carried, you know, Vice President Kamala Harris held a rally three million people watched online and the major networks did not carry her.
Speaker 4: There are so many things that happened, every single one.
Speaker 9: Yes, even though emphasis on HBCUs.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're working HBCUs your endless love for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated.
Speaker 4: Tell your frat brother stop breaking my hand. He's supposed to be.
Speaker 5: I want to see you.
Speaker 1: Will see you wednesday, Governor, We'll see you wednesday. But bro, I just want to thank you for because you are integral to the community. And so if you don't watch Black Star Network, well I'm tell you.
Speaker 20: I'm tell you black out coverages being uh anytime somebody black come on the stage, I'm like, okay, you about to stop talking.
Speaker 7: Back to the stage. So, speaking of speaking of witch Kamala Harris on stage right.
Speaker 4: Now, she's not right now, you will see the mayor of Chicago.
Speaker 7: No, she is on stage.
Speaker 4: She's on stage seeing different Yours.
Speaker 12: Is probably delayed, Yeah, because you watching it on Black Star Network.
Speaker 13: Over here.
Speaker 8: Is a hater.
Speaker 12: But he's also not technically savvy.
Speaker 20: Not because there's a there's a live feed here the ninety Center and if you're streaming it there's a delay. Yeah, that's somebody who's too has a flip phone.
Speaker 4: Yes, he said he got boost mobile.
Speaker 12: All you can text the car is okay.
Speaker 9: This conversation.
Speaker 4: You are subterranean.
Speaker 9: You are a subterranean over here.
Speaker 1: Well, if if you are tuning into US, I do want to say Roland is right. Vice President Kamala Harris is taking the stage right now. It looks like she seems to be welcoming people to the convention. It looks like you may have just shouted out the second gentleman soon to be the first gentleman, Doug m.
Speaker 4: Hoff.
Speaker 1: Camera's pan to him. This is not her keynote speech, which we will hear of course Thursday, and please tune in a Native Land pod live. We will be live on Thursday right before she speaks, so we'll be talking about all the primetime speakers. But yes, she is speaking right now, and tune in tomorrow because we will talk about some of her remarks.
Speaker 6: And it isn't typical, uh, Tiffany, for the for the presidential nominee to be here this early, But I think this is I think this is partly an o to her work in partnership with Joe Biden.
Speaker 9: President Joe Biden will be the keynote speaker.
Speaker 1: Of her unique position as his vice president, but who he's passing the tords to, but also as the soon to be nominee officially the nominee for the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 20: And let me let me say what you talk about, and I won't say ego less, but to be a sitting president come on and to say I'll speak on Monday and I'm gonna fly to Keller from and you have the convention. Uh that listen, we we know President's got egos huge. He could have said, Yo, I'm speaking on Wednesday. No, he said I'll do Monday, and then.
Speaker 6: You have way that's that's huge where it was huge, brother, And I think you'd agree for the man to be the most powerful leader of the free world so far as we know it, and believe he could run and win, and to step back and say I don't want that fight. Our country doesn't need that fight right now, I said earlier, and I hope it will be true this evening. The man out of get so much of an ovation this evening that there's not time for his remarks because our appreciation runs that deep for the sacrifice that he's made, not just at this moment but over the arc of his uh uh political career. Jamal, I'm curious if you have reflections on on on on the believe.
Speaker 20: I'm going to the floor. Y'all got Omega coming up. That's a big step down from Alfha. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Appreciation appreciated.
Speaker 20: And Chris Chris Berry at I heart, I'm gonna see you the envoys.
Speaker 4: That actually is.
Speaker 3: Warranted, Jami, before you chime in here, I know this is something that's there to get down, down, stop it, shut up. That's near and dear to your heart. And that is the theme of this convention today is for the people. We know, of course that was Kamala Harris's a campaign slogan going into twenty twenty, but it's for the people for our future is a full campaign theme.
Speaker 4: So I just wanted to talk about that just briefly.
Speaker 3: Because we're seeing a lot of labor leaders, civil rights leaders who are coming up today.
Speaker 4: They're showing that huge chant that this party is supposed to be.
Speaker 3: And again we know that there's still protests on the outside, but even those voices, the dissension is welcome.
Speaker 19: It's all welcome. And if we are for the people, we have to be for all the people, and we have to be for equity, and we have to be for justice in all its forms. And for me to me, that means we have to be for universal childcare, universal pre K, paid leave for all.
Speaker 5: Finally, we're one of the only developed nations that does not I have paid leave.
Speaker 19: We have to make sure we're investing in education, education, education, education, and can we please raise the damn federal minimum wage?
Speaker 4: About that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, seven five and hour.
Speaker 19: Was still And just to piggyback on that and talk a little bit about President Biden. So my first two years in Congress, we had control of the House and the Senate, and I felt like.
Speaker 5: We was rocking and rolling.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 19: We was getting things done in the American Rescue Plan, the Chips and Science Act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the Safer Communities Act, the Bipartis of Infrastructure Bill. We were getting things done and it was incredibly active and incredibly inspiring. Two years later, Republicans come in take control and we literally stopped doing the people's work. And so when we talk about contrasts, to me, there's no conversation Republicans want to shut down the federal government.
Speaker 5: They want to end the Department of Education, they want.
Speaker 19: To defund health and Human Services. Human services. Democrats were governing for the people. We just have to continue that. And when President Kamala gets in and we have to support her on the outside by holding members of Congress, the House is centered accountable to push a very aggressive agenda forward because we need transformation right now.
Speaker 5: We do, we do.
Speaker 4: While we speaking of transformation real quick, Macory, I do just want to.
Speaker 7: Welcome let me introduce.
Speaker 5: Be taking all a you.
Speaker 7: Like this Saturday mornings.
Speaker 12: Like I'm Andrew. My god, you guys don't be welcome back to the show.
Speaker 8: A young man from Morehouse College who is just exceptional in the amazing city of Montgomery. I love how we have the balance on this show. We have some people from the big city of New York, the brons et cetera boogie down, and we also have people like Benny Thompson and Darry Johnson. We now have the mayor of the amazing city of Montgomery, who is it's growing leaps and bounds. Just want to re election, not that long ago.
Speaker 11: Show.
Speaker 5: Congratulations to the show.
Speaker 8: Yeah no, they talk about this environment because you you've kind of grow we it's amazing. We were talking to uh Maya Baraka, the next governor of New Jersey, and he grew up in it, and I kind of grew up in it as well, and you definitely grew up in it. How does it feel to kind of grow up on your parents' knees seeing all of these heroes and icons and then coming to something like this where you celebrate Jesse, you celebrate Fanny lou Hamer, you celebrate now Kamala Harris still making history.
Speaker 7: What that feels like for you?
Speaker 21: Man?
Speaker 11: It's amazing. First, I want to thank everybody.
Speaker 21: Thank y'all for all the great work that you do on behalf of the African American Mayors Association, all five hundred plus African American mayors across the country from Seattle your dad, all the way to Savannah.
Speaker 11: We got Mayor's.
Speaker 21: Represent and all the D nine and all the organizations, all that stuff, all those things, and so you know, I think when you come here and you think back to Reverend Jackson in eighty four and we sit here in twenty twenty four, and you think about his speech and his run and all the things that happened since then. It is just emotional. I mean, I can't describe it. I remember being here in ninety six. I'll date myself when Clinton was running for a re election and Jesse Jr. You know, they were the new Jackson the block, all those guys, you know, and so you know, thinking about this energy that we have here is just you know, I almost want to say, it's oh eightish if I can say that, there's just a level of enthusiasm and energy that has just changed.
Speaker 11: And that is no disrespect too.
Speaker 21: I think has been one of the most transformational presidents in the last seventy five years. In President Joe Biden is just a shifting energy, shifting optimism, and I certainly think when you consider the history and the legacy that's tied to Chicago and all the things that have come to pass now with the nomination of Vice President Kamala Harris, it's just it feels right.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's just a synergy that that's with this.
Speaker 1: I want to acknowledge, mister Mayor. We recently celebrated a holiday out of Montgomery, Alabama. Some of you may refer to it as August tenth or fade in the water.
Speaker 11: But what.
Speaker 4: An honor it is to be sitting with you as a new monuments.
Speaker 21: Absolutely absolutely, we talked about symbols, we talked about changing the city seal.
Speaker 11: Everything has just been.
Speaker 4: White folding chair.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 21: I support it that the chair has just taken on a life. I mean, you know what, and let me say this and the mayor, I can't can relate to this. I just left there back to school event. I mean, it wasn't thirty minutes.
Speaker 7: Are you get to call.
Speaker 12: Talking about talking about I just left thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 5: He swam across that I was here.
Speaker 11: I'm like, get him on our fire and rescue.
Speaker 4: He used to be emergency show.
Speaker 21: Got him before Alabama and Alren signs him to a verbal committment because I'm like, somebody who can swim across that river and get up.
Speaker 11: And still do some work.
Speaker 4: Maybe he should have represented us in the Olympics reps. Yes, he was the black aquaman. Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 9: Just texted me to say, what's up.
Speaker 5: I've been here.
Speaker 7: I've been here twenty minutes and.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 4: From Andrews.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you a question real quick, because this is this is what bothers me because we're Florida. Different Florida, like three states shut out in one you got like which is like at South Alabama until you got the middle of it and.
Speaker 9: Then you got like you got the four states.
Speaker 8: But go ahead, But we are in the south. So I'm gonna ask you a tough question. What does the mayor of Montgomery do next? Oh man, this was in South Carolina, Alabama.
Speaker 4: He's the best question.
Speaker 12: As money didn't give the governor.
Speaker 7: We're not We're not about to sit here and be a martyr. That's what.
Speaker 8: Home and run against Lady Graham to get beat by twenty for Yalla laughing at me.
Speaker 4: You've been breaking barriers a long time. I laugh at you.
Speaker 21: You know, listen, listen, this brother was what was doing the way back when the twin two. You're like, who the hell's twenty two runnings for state rep?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 11: You know who got those kind of chops more?
Speaker 21: But you know, I think when you're in states like ours, where it's Alabama or Louisiana, Arkansas, we all talk about that as mayors, like you know, where can you give and where can you continue to serve?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 21: You know, is a tie coming to US next. Can we be the next Georgia? Can we be that next purple state? And I mean I think the answer is is yet to be seen. What I hope we get from this election is we get a movement, not a moment, of young people and working class people who really have not been voting for their interest in my opinion, in parts of the South, to take a look at what Vice President has and what Governor wall is really an offering, and what my goal is to make sure they see the difference when you get beyond the personality, when you get beyond just the cult of Trump, and when you get beyond all of those things, and you look at who's looking out for you and who's really working for the people. So hopefully that opens up opportunities, whether that be at a statewide, dominatorial level, whether to be at a centator's level, or whatever it may be, to take a look at Andrew what you did, I mean, and to say, okay, this is how we do it.
Speaker 11: But I tell people this all the time who come for the civil rights trailer.
Speaker 21: I say, look, you would have no doctor King, you would have no Ralph Abernatty without money, without resources.
Speaker 11: So anything you want us to do is.
Speaker 21: Gonna take investment, It's gonna take time. War Knock and Abrams and everybody else showed us that in Georgia, you got to invest in the South. I mean, we've got the We've got the foundation. Mississippi is probably the one that's really.
Speaker 12: Got the highest be that your Carolina, be that only twenty.
Speaker 7: Two and it's purple.
Speaker 6: Florida's is thirteen thirteen thirteen percent of the population percent of the population of the state is black. And that's why I think that South how much is brown unfortunately brown, and Florida doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 9: So it's a complicated narrative.
Speaker 5: But we're not.
Speaker 6: We as black elected officials who in many cases aren't necessarily representing majority black constituencies, not overwhelming majority of black constituencies, have the ability to, I think, reach places and cause people to think beyond what they're the recesses of their minds are telling them are their biases against us. And I think part of the charge Jamal, you do this where you are, I know, Bakari Mayor, you have to move people beyond what is in what feels a little uncomfortable for them so that they can see you in your humanity, and that when I make education good for my kids, I make it good for yours. When the streets are safe for my kids to walk in, play in, so.
Speaker 9: Are they for yours. So the priorities are so different.
Speaker 6: Doctor King tried to help us find common calls with each other, across race barriers and even across economic ones, to see what we share in common. And I just think, as we sit here in Chicago, so many, so many people have forgotten these areas of common calls, have thrown them to the wind. And I think it's incumbent upon us our generation. Are you know this, this generation of young people? I think to find a third way that leads us back into positions of leadership, not for the purposes of us making history and and and climbing new barriers, but for the case of delivering something to people that has felt aloof like unachievement.
Speaker 7: There is one There is one.
Speaker 8: There is one person who hones in on that message better than most who I actually put in the same category as a Ralph David Abernathy or doctor King or Judy Richardson or those people who were talking about the same plight that you're talking about, and that's somebody we don't acknowledge enough, but that's the Reverend doctor William Barber.
Speaker 9: To try to get in.
Speaker 8: That message of what of what how poverty can really really draw some similarities. The funny part is in South Carolina and Denmark, my dad used to tell the story about the couple who would go to the grocery store on their tractor, and they would ride on their tractor and they were they were just dirt poor, but there there was some level of comfort they felt in just being white, that they still felt as if they were better than you, although they literally rode to the grocery store on their tractor. And so I think that in what you know, I knocked on that door when I was running for office because the naivete or the youthful exuberance, or where those two things meet, had you believing that you could convince somebody, And maybe you do. You never know, don't know how people vote, but that you you know how their grandparents get healthcare, or how their children get their prescription drugs or get educated, or if they can make ten dollars an hour, you can meet people where they are. And I think that's a message we still have to hone in on and it's one that resonates respectfully, particularly in the South, because that's what I know.
Speaker 5: I got a question for the mayor. Yeah, is that okay?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Before and then we know we can't hold y'all too long and we have to get to we have another guest coming, so we want to make sure that we go ahead.
Speaker 19: Yes, So, mister mayor, I've only been in Congress four years, almost three and a half years, and I'm very interested in the local implementation of federal policy.
Speaker 5: So when we pass a piece of legislation and we.
Speaker 19: Appropriate dollars to local mayors, can you speak a little bit about one, how you make decisions in terms of how that money is spent and invested Number one, But then also speak to the collaboration that's necessary or lack thereof, with the county that you're in, with the state that you're in.
Speaker 5: Et cetera.
Speaker 19: Correct, right, Because in my district, there's been a lot of frustration around Okay, we just allocated X millions or billions of dollars, why is it not getting to the black and brown folks in my district and the way that it needs to.
Speaker 5: Can you speak a.
Speaker 21: Little bit to that yeah, if it's not getting to the black and brown folks and the people who need it is because you need the leadership that values them, and you need the leadership that is prioritizing. And one of the things that we highlight about President Biden and Vice President Harris is that with the Arbor dollars, they came straight to the.
Speaker 11: County and straight into the cities.
Speaker 21: So a lot of us that are in conservative led states, with legislation, we would have never gotten that money to community violence intervention programs, hospital intervention programs, education after school programs, when you think of small business support, we would have never gotten that money directly where it's needed. And we had pushback from legislative forces, but the money was coming to the county. Even talking with Sylvester Attorney in Houston, I was made somebody who had been in the legislature then served as a major city mayor was having the trouble he was having in a city like Houston, in a county like Harris County, right Texas. But when you think about what this administration was allowed us to do. It allowed us to have the autonomy and the control to prioritize those things in the hood that we knew needed to help and needed to support. If it's not getting there, it's because those elected officials don't have the chops and don't have the medal to stand up and say these communities have been left behind far too long. They get caught in the bureaucracy and the red tape, and then by the time you look at there is no tape, so they don't get any help. So what we were able to do was to say, you know what, we believe in equity. We're gonna be unapologetic in our approach to this. We know who suffered the most from COVID, we know who had the hardest impact, who's hit worse. So this is what we're gonna do. And I feel like as African American mayors in this generation in particular, coming on the heels of those that came before us, we have a responsibility, We have a debt to make sure that we are just as intentional as a Harald Washington was many many years ago and others were an assistant made of no question and assisting our communities directly and making the case you cannot assume or hope or wish or pray that that money and those funds are gonna be there in some other administration unless you make it so. And that's what we have as the chief executive officers of cities and communities.
Speaker 3: Yes, we really appreciate all you time today. It has been fantastic to be.
Speaker 4: Here with you.
Speaker 1: Can I just say real quick before he goes the This week More House students went back and there was a beautiful image of the incoming freshman standing in the rain. It looks so artistic, and you have the men walking. I gotta feeling and I just want to acknowledge the significance and importance of Morehouse in this country. And having two men the Morehouse on set real cool. We got another guest we broke up.
Speaker 21: Harrison Bryant, Jamal Harrison Brown was my new student leader, yes in my year, and he wasn't near as cool and near as as charismatic as he seems now. He was saying a whole lot different when I came. It rain on our heads even worse.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, mister Mayor and congressman. We appreciate you both. I cannot see the next guest, but Angela or Bacari, who has a better view than me, will bring up our next thing.
Speaker 22: Yes, thank you, Congress. We appreciate to you, and thank you, mister mayor, thank you so much. All right, so the mayor don't want to leave answer. Okay, we're taking a picture. They take it as selfie. You're taking a selfie.
Speaker 4: Ear well, they take a selfie. We're going to welcome on next gues.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it is Ty McMillan, who is the DNC Coalitions Director. We cannot be at a big tenth convention and not make sure that young people's voices are actually heard. LASA League is coming up. Let me just say, y'all, I'm fascinated by who they chose to m see the convention floor.
Speaker 4: Yes, y'all, there's a throwbag. It's scandal and I'm just wondering how y'all feel about that. While he puts his headphones off.
Speaker 1: So after Tony Goldlin is the host of It's a Foursome. So it's Tony, you'll correct me, Tony Goldland and a Navarro.
Speaker 4: I think they're taking turns. So Carrie Washington's later this.
Speaker 8: Week, Kerry Washington's Thursday, it's Tony today, Tomorrow is uh An no Man's Wednesday.
Speaker 4: I think Oh it's a Mindy Kenny.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, so I think it's interesting.
Speaker 8: There's a special guest on Wednesday. I heard is it going to be Beyonce noon coming?
Speaker 4: Okay, well that's the rumor.
Speaker 9: You know, he talked to her last night.
Speaker 4: She said, you text her. She said she could make it.
Speaker 7: No text, Jay, I got respect.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I'm just saying I would. We'll talk about it when Tyley is concluding with his remarks.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm sorry, I was yelling at Chuck Sham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly right into the and you guys forgive our guest co host. He has no cues anyway, Tyley talk to us about the importance of youth representation at a convention like this that is so ground breaking, so historic.
Speaker 4: Tell me what y'all got going on?
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 23: So I think you know what's exciting about this conference is that we talk about the content creators is a new, a new, a new route, and so I think meeting young people where they are, and I think, you know, the Party is leading the way in that effort, whether it's through traditional media or we understand how young fools get their information and it's through content creators, just through folks that are on TikTok and so I'm excited about that aspect of the conference.
Speaker 11: I'm excited.
Speaker 23: The vice president has the energy of young people, you know, uh and has been on the she has been leading on the issues, and I think, you know, the excitement that we have, uh, you know, we're gonna we're gonna continue past this, especially as we get back to uh, you know, welcome week at schools, as we get into you know, homecomings and activities, and we're gonna keep on that momentum and continue.
Speaker 11: To you know, connect with young folks on the ground.
Speaker 15: M H.
Speaker 6: What's the biggest organizing challenge you're facing? You feel with young girls right now? What's the we we see we all think we're still young and formerly formerly you're accepting, but Cary will be there twins a little bit.
Speaker 7: Too here, right.
Speaker 9: What's the challenge?
Speaker 6: Tell us what's the biggest challenge y'all feel like you have to get over an organizing tip?
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 23: I think when when when the folks that young people get getting their information from social media, we fight a big battle of miss and this information and as we fight the bots in the comments, we fight all of that and so I think it's the fact of being able to get real and accurate information to folks, Folks to be able to have trusted sources, and folks to be able to trust their trusted sources.
Speaker 11: And I think is what we're fighting. We continue to fight.
Speaker 23: But I think, you know, we live in this time where voter education and even the basics of what what what how the government even operates. As I have conversations with folks across the country, some of them don't even know the three branches of government. They don't know they don't know the power of the vice president. They don't know the fact of the filibuster or the fact that the vice president has broke the most tides in the Senate. And so I think voter education is really big, is big, but we get that done through peer to peer influence. And I think that education is the first step, and not only connecting with folks that are within the you know, like the ecosystem of politics, but also how we connect with folks who may not have that interest. And so the importance of meeting people at the basketball court, it meeting at the brunches and meet them, you know, at these different events, whether it's music festivals, and so we have that unique perspective.
Speaker 4: But what do you say though when you meet because I'm so curious about that.
Speaker 1: I know when I see young people pop up in my feed and just when I overhear what young people are talking about who are not interested in politics and don't understand how politics impact them. Some people don't know when an election is even happening. What is the thing that you say to compel them to get involved and what wasn't that compelled you to get involved?
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely what compelled me to get involved.
Speaker 23: I got involved in this movement when I was about thirteen years old under the leadership of Reverend now sharped in how are you?
Speaker 11: I'm twenty seven, twenty seven, now twenty six, twenty seven, and so no day, it's not a day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her from both she has she's.
Speaker 4: Not doing that. She's not doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm ignoring these just saying, Kylie, please continue, young young man one older than.
Speaker 7: You, better shoot your shots.
Speaker 11: Not you miss every missing.
Speaker 9: Pull up.
Speaker 5: Night night.
Speaker 1: That is not I'm listening to the only only adult many Please continue.
Speaker 3: That's a great time because AOC just got on the stage as well.
Speaker 23: For those of you all at home, Yes, but carry on till you look another fire person who continues to aspire. There you go, young young people. In addition to Miss Tiphany cross everybody loves Miss Crossing. So, like I said, I I'm a son, I'm a son of the civil rights movement, and so that got me in the work. But I think how we meet people is we make it real. We make we bring the conversations. Jackson is joining us in the middle of the conversations to them, and we make it real how it relates to them, whether it's you know, like politics is local. And I always say, you know, politics isn't the sexiest of conversations, but it's like we got to make it relatable of how it impacts them, Like we talked about the local roles.
Speaker 11: How the funding from your city council.
Speaker 23: We were talking about as we're talking about schools, and the funding is happening at your at your state, at your state houses. And so making it real and making it relatable is how is how we inaccessible inaccessible.
Speaker 1: I do want to welcome to the conversation Congressman John Jackson, the son of Jonathan.
Speaker 4: Forgive me that you don't like John.
Speaker 1: Sorry, He is the son of the great Jesse Jackson and also representing Illinois First District Illinois first District without thank you.
Speaker 4: I didn't say no, damn s she did. I did not, anyway, hostrophe s I got. I got what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Congress, we're a very lively bunch tonight, as you can see.
Speaker 4: But we're so started about ago.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're so honor to be joined by you this significant history this year. Bakari referenced earlier the first presidential campaign I actually remember was your father, Jesse Jackson in nineteen eighty four, and my grandmother took me to a rally and someone said, young lady, who are you voting for?
Speaker 4: My grandma said, baby, you telling me you voted for Jesse Jackson. And that's what I said.
Speaker 1: And it just that time doesn't seem like that long ago. But here we are forty years later. Yeah, what does this convention.
Speaker 5: Mean to you?
Speaker 15: Well, thank you so much for having me on. Thank you Angela, thank you for there's Congress.
Speaker 1: So we're alive and we're being passed by Congressman Gregor York.
Speaker 11: That goes Chairman. I love you, Chairman, Meeks, you.
Speaker 1: So as we're as we're here, a lot of people are walking by and saying hello. I know you guys can't see it on the cameras, but we have a whole audience and crowd out here. But yes, I want to call you Reverend Jackson. But Congressman Jackson, tell us what this convention means to you.
Speaker 15: Well, first of all, starting with, are soon to be chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee. I have the opportunity to serve on the Foreign Affairs Committee. I met Congressman Meeks almost thirty some years ago. He ran as a Jesse Jackson Democrat out of Queens. When he became the congressman from there, it was a tremendous honor. I know, is this mine or somebody?
Speaker 5: Okay? All right?
Speaker 15: I met Congressman Meeks thirty some years ago when he ran as a as a as a delegate and then for Congress as a Jesse Jackson specifically Democrat in Queens, New York and then Angela. It's been some years now that I had met you with your great family in the Northwest, and I was like, black folks live out here as well.
Speaker 1: Family's from Louisiana but migrated to the West he was as a surrogate to his dad's campaign in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: There's a picture when I'm.
Speaker 3: About eight and he's lean over me and kissing me on the cheek, and I got on my Jesse Jackson eighty eight shirt. We need, we need to.
Speaker 13: Angela her family.
Speaker 15: Thank you for your service and your continued spirit and civil rights and Bakari, your father, Cleve is legendary in so many ways. I don't know all the people up here, but I thank you.
Speaker 4: For your spirit. He's gonna say, I don't know what happened to you. Sorry, I had to get you back.
Speaker 15: When I was at North Carolina, A and T please please, Father please, Father would come and sit down and talk with us as students. And so this to me is more of a celebration really of civil rights. It's not into the politics. And I know it's a political convention and so forth, But forty years later, what does it mean my father's real motivation. It was a moral crusade. It wasn't a political groups said and by the vehicle. It was in empowerment. It wasn't finding a district. It was uplifting the entire network. Why would somebody run for president that's never ran for a local office. That it was about a movement, and out of that movement, it was that massive voter registration. And we have to pick that up today. And so in the spirit of Fanny lou Hamer sixty four to eighty four was his foundation. It wasn't a political move it was massive voter registration participation. And I hope that the party picks that language back up, massive voter registration. If we vote our numbers in South Carolina, we'll have a the Democratic congressional seat. We'll have another one in Louisiana, another one I've got South Carolina. We'll have another seat in Tennessee, and a first black to have a seat in Arkansas. We still haven't had an African American representative in the state of Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Wow, a black mayor though. Mayor Frank Fresh.
Speaker 8: One of the questions I wanted to ask you, is you know Uncle Jesse as we called him in our household, because little Jesse used to come over and babysit my brother and sister in Greensboro and all of those things. In his campaign in eighty four and eighty eight, he just cultivated so many souls and personalities that went on to do great things. My father was a Southern regional field direct and ended up hiring a young lady named Donna Brazil on that race. You have Mignon Moore, you have all of these people. Talk about the impact of your father on the modern day Democratic Party because just a lot of people don't even know that his fingerprints are all over everything that we're doing right now.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 15: So if you look at Mignon Moore on her for over forty years. This is my tenth Democratic Convention. Mignon Morris from Chicago. She worked in the organization of Rainbow Push. She comes out of eighty four. Now she's the chair of the Democratic Invention in the state of Illinois. When you look at donnal Brazil, she went on to become the chair of the Al Gore for President. She came out of the eighty eight campaign as well. When you look at Dave Dinkins, after the massive voter registration drive, he became the first African American mayor of New York City. That's true of Doug Wilder, the first African American governor out of Virginia, David Wellington, the first African American mayor of a non black city, majority white city.
Speaker 5: In Denver, Colorado. And it can go on and on.
Speaker 15: And when I hear President Barack Obama says that he was inspired when he was in law school and when Vice President Kamala Harris was a student at Howard University, she was protesting in nineteen eighty six for free South Africa. And she gives my father credit for her inspiration. And I have to give myself. I wouldn't be here today, uh, thelone being interested in politics and public office. And I wouldn't say politics, but public office us being able to assert ourselves in government. Uh, to live off the will of our people and our desire.
Speaker 8: What advice you got for this young man senter right here to my right, who is running this youth organization in our in our d n C. That is going to probably be the reason that Kamala Harris wins this race? Young voters, What do you have to say to him about organizing those young minds in a way that you know so well because you grew up in it.
Speaker 11: I'm a AGGI to.
Speaker 9: I knew there was something brilliant about you, young man.
Speaker 7: He can't get in the morning.
Speaker 12: Uplift.
Speaker 7: We will get you an honor.
Speaker 11: What's amazing.
Speaker 23: I decided to go to North Carolina A and C because of Reverend Jesse Jackson. It was you know, like I said, I grew up under the leadership of Revenue Sharpton, who also grew up under the leadership of Reverend Jesse Jackson. And I'm like, I've always been around the family, and I'm like, I visited the campus and the and the impact of Reverend Jackson on the campus was like I had to come here because I felt the legacy of not only as we talk about the Greensboro for the A and T four, but also the legacy of civil rights leaders from HBCUs across the land. And I know, I know we got fam you over in the corner, and yeah, like I would tell you Jackson was my inspiration as well.
Speaker 15: I would tell you, be a study, be a student of these organizations, Be a student of the history so that you can make your desired impact.
Speaker 13: Make sure that you have the affiliation.
Speaker 15: I'm so honored to see you next to my brother, but card, you couldn't learn from anyone greater than that. And see you sitting besides Angela, I mean like, surround yourself around the people that are already know, that have been down there. And this has legacy, not dynasty, not as in something that the whites have where they're passing on bequeathing wealth to one another. Legacy. We have to be concerned about our names. We have to be concerned about passing on history and tradition. So we're in an empasy part of our struggle in so many ways. We just got an African American History Museum. There's so much about a history we still trying to learn and figure out. So surround yourself with those that have legacy, whose parents have already paid that taught them. There are some things that have happened around these two people's kitchen table that what's it like growing up in the Northwest suburbs and still being an advocate? And guess what, many great whites are out there that applaud and support these causes. Once they see us moving, they double down. What's it like growing up in South Carolina having to get over all the issues of Jim Crow. So it's a vast nation, a lot of a lot of complexities to the United States. And so I would say continue and I applaud you. I am so proud to know at your age that you've had your mind made up. This was the furthest thing from my mind being in public office. I went to business school and at the law school, I was doing private business. And at the age of fifty six, this opportunity opened up, and I said, what is the highest and best useage your mind time with the days that I have left, let me go run for office. And if I of course, I was afraid if it doesn't work, I failed. But if I don't try, I'll certainly fail. So thank god I was giving this opportunity.
Speaker 23: Can I say yes like I wanted to say while I'm here at the stage, I'm so grateful for leaders like yourself who continue to pour into the next generation and who continue to you know, you know, give inspiration like as I always see you all doing the great, amazing work that you are doing.
Speaker 11: Your inspiration to many.
Speaker 23: I remember I say it all the time when I went with the family to impact their families and we were, you know, advocating for George Floyd Justice and Policing Act, and we had went to like all the Senators offices, and we went to the White House I said, I remember when I was following, following around the carry sellers around that we was with George Floyd family and others, and so you all, even this all impacts, even the small things that that you do. People are watching, young folks are watching, especially me especially, and I would say, I'm just grateful for your your your your being a great role model and for paving the way for young folks to to come up and to get get into this work.
Speaker 12: So I'm grateful.
Speaker 4: We're so grateful for you all for being here. We're so grateful you show, but we're so grateful for you all being here. Thank you all so much. So, you guys, I wanted to just take a moment.
Speaker 3: To talk a little bit about what's happened, not just what's happening on the stage, but what we've experienced today for the viewers at home, you are, this has been such a rich, rewarding experience.
Speaker 4: We talked to Legacy.
Speaker 3: We couldn't have done Chicago without the Jackson family.
Speaker 4: We couldn't have done Okay, we couldn't. Bakari's on another planet.
Speaker 11: Chat.
Speaker 4: This is first and last time first love love. But this is look him. He's just in his own word.
Speaker 3: Are you checking back in? Thank you, Thank you, Congressman. We're so grateful, thank you. So here's the thing, this conversation to me has been rooted in so much history, so much legacy, and still packed with so much hope for the future. TELI like grounding up this rounding off this podcast today was amazing. It's so necessary not just to be like, well, what are the youth saying and kind of plopped them in. He's been in this work, says since he was thirteen years old. So I do think it's important that our podcast started in that very same theme that we had we saw on the convention stage for the people.
Speaker 4: This podcast has been for the people.
Speaker 3: We talked about an agenda that we were trying to feel in fulfilling seventy two, that we were trying to fulfill in sixty eight when Fanny lou Amer said.
Speaker 4: I'm tired, sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm gonna run myself.
Speaker 3: And we heard from folks who have take that responsibility, that mantled that torch that Joe Biden is supposed to pass to Kamala Harrison Night. We've seen that all on this podcast stage tonight, and I just want to say I thank y'all.
Speaker 4: I love y'all. This has been great. I want to hear from y'all. But that's what was on our to share, you know.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, some of some of our guests were planned tonight. Some we just saw walking by and we grabbed them. And I think that's one of the great things about the convention. One thing that I find striking here Andrew Bacari and Angela is the history that has been made in Chicago. I remember being here in two thousand and eight in Grant Park election night when we saw President Barack Obama win the election. He went from Senator Obama to President Obama that night, and I remember walking.
Speaker 4: Through Grant Park.
Speaker 1: It was November and it was oddly warm that evening. It was in the seventies, and it was just a spirit in the air. And I remember walking past white people and they would just randomly say congratulations.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: But I would always say congratulations to you, yes, because right exactly, because we saw change and we will always view you know, our leaders, you know, history will judge them. But it does feel very reminiscent that we are here again, feeling that collective energy, and we see a very different Kamala Harris than we did four years ago. She's got the wind at her back.
Speaker 4: She is moving with ease.
Speaker 1: I know people are eager to hear specifics about her policies. She rolled them out in North Carolina. Her economic policies, they were very I thought digestible. There were things that made sense to us in our community. Absolutely, and so you know I have said on this podcast before it is going to happen, it is written that this is something black women and I love my brothers. Y'all know, y'all have done your work, and so we've both done our work. But I in the spirit of black women who have poured so much into this country and who a lot of us felt collectively exhausted and sad and depressed, and we are fighting the same battles that our parents and grandparents fought, and it just became a time of when will we see the fruits of our labor? And I have to say it is time, because we have tried for so long to bend this country to our will, and we know what happens to things that do not bend, and it is time for us to have new leadership in this country. So I feel that energy here and I'm excited about it. I feel it too, so excited that even Bacari couldn't get.
Speaker 5: Me down.
Speaker 6: Touchy insults, But in a real way, I think tonight I'm just sitting in gratitude for the moment that we found ourselves, but also for Joe Biden and his legacy. Yes, and I'm deliberately focusing on him this evening because this is the evening he will bring the message of the party.
Speaker 4: Hillary's on the stage, though, I just want to say.
Speaker 7: Well home.
Speaker 1: All white addressing the audience, how you know, possibly, Andrew, because you brought this up and I'm curious to hear from you and Baccari on this, and of course me and Angelica waym But you said how she must be feeling, and I do wonder about that, because she tried to crack.
Speaker 4: That glass ceiling. She has to be feeling every day, like I told you.
Speaker 1: So, probably what an expletive Bacari when you said when you lose all, you're out in the wilderness, and she was literally out in the wilderness, and you know your spirit broke for her when when the election did not turn in her favorite, and.
Speaker 4: She won the popular vote.
Speaker 1: On the popular vote, and we've talked about this before, seventy five thousand votes out of Detroit were completely discounted. She lost Michigan by ten thousand. Had those votes been counted, she would have carried Michigan thus won the presidency. So to have to watch someone you know, living out the nightmare that you tried to warn the country about, and then to have to watch someone else living out the dream that you for so long have dreamt, I do wonder what she must be feeling tonight.
Speaker 9: Yes, I mean I was going to say we could we could go and listen.
Speaker 6: I don't think we're gonna hear it from her from the stage tonight, because I do think there's probably a septext there that that that we won't get. I have to imagine that there's some pride, obviously for the fact that even though I didn't have that moment, we may be setting up for that moment to be had with Kamala Harris in this cycle. I have to imagine that there's also you know there I told you so, like you just mentioned, and and maybe even hopefully she has some pride and the fact that maybe she had to go that way, and that it had to happen the way.
Speaker 7: I believe. I believe she's in.
Speaker 6: Order for us to experience the moment that we're gonna have today the rest of this convention, and I believe November.
Speaker 9: Seven, I believe a great Sorry.
Speaker 4: I just have to tell you all this because I feel so shamed.
Speaker 3: I've been so like, I'm listening to the conversation, but I've been so distracted about y'all's appearance. I forgot to tell y'all the whole show you had on these credentials the entire time.
Speaker 4: That's okay, okay, okay, what were you saying?
Speaker 7: She interrupted me to say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I just thought about I'm sorry, I didn't realize.
Speaker 7: I don't know what I was. I was talking about Hillary.
Speaker 9: She she might feel.
Speaker 7: I believe, you guys, I believe.
Speaker 8: I believe one of the things about Hillary Clinton is that a lot like we want Joe Biden to be, but it's some level of compute, and I believe she feels that completeness because it is Kamala Harris. You know, four weeks and one day ago, this was a totally different convention. It was a different space it was a different feel trajectory, and I'm not sure or that people would have that level of completeness. And I think one of the things that Kamala Harris teaches you, more so than anything else, is that you have to be prepared for that moment, because it's one thing to be thrust into that light. It's another thing to be able to harness that energy. It's one thing to get that responsibility, it's another thing to be able to bear that responsibility's and I believe that what you're seeing from Hillary Clinton tonight and one of the things you'll see from Joe Biden later is this inherent trust that not only do I support Kamala Harris, but she got me too, and she and it's that's it. And so because it's in good hands, I didn't get there, but we complete real.
Speaker 6: That's real, that's real. Bokari, I believe that too. I also think it was really important that what we're getting from from him. I think what we will be getting from him this evening is permission to the extent that there are still those Biden folks who are and I'm a Biden Harris folk up until he made us a Harris Walls Clan. But I think he may may create a permission structure for those who still may be in some set of denial that it's okay to fully embrace the change that has happened that's led us to this moment. I didn't think it was possible a month ago. But we're here and this is where we're going. She is going to take us the rest of the way. I've done my part and I'm now handing it off. I think he did that in naming her the same day that he announced his pulling out of the race. And I think in very physical form this party, the leadership of this party, the delegates who are here assembled this really important and August gathering, this man will be in physical form able to pass it on. And I think that healing that visual is something necessary for our party.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, I know you want to go to the floor and hear the speeches, but I just want to say what a delight it is to have you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I love you guys, I love you guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: The fact that we've been able to humble each other and push each other and pray for each other and and do it all together. And then I get the most satisfaction of walking with you all and watching how other people respond to you. I think that is one of the more amazing experiences when you have peers who people want to take a picture with, or a senior who wants to hug Andrew, probably because she think is me.
Speaker 6: No shots, nostopstops, no pit stops.
Speaker 4: I really don't.
Speaker 9: Straight these straight the hair straight?
Speaker 5: The hell?
Speaker 4: No picture said tonight, just send him to hell before I am.
Speaker 7: I love y'all.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna go Hillary. Yeah, and she got on her suffrages.
Speaker 4: Why yeah, that is yellow.
Speaker 9: That's not yellow as far as I can see, it look white.
Speaker 4: But okay, I know you want to go. I just want to say thank you so so much for.
Speaker 12: Thank you, I mean thank y'all for doing the cross collab and.
Speaker 3: Audience car tune into the Bakari Sellers podcast.
Speaker 4: He is on Ringer and Spotify Today he is with Native Lamby.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: That's definitely come back. Okay, and can you mute both those microphones? That's what you're saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and now you get to take us out?
Speaker 4: Okay, can you still hear me?
Speaker 3: I didn't I thought you were telling me to pick it up, no mute. Okay, maybe next time like when we work on our anyway. Yeah, I'm so grateful that we are here. You guys know that it was quite a journey. Even today, I'm so grateful again, what's happened today?
Speaker 11: Girl?
Speaker 3: All the things to be told later, but I also want to acknowledge again. You know, we have this really dope chat. We always talk about our growth chat, but we also have a Blacks and Media group chat, and we shouted out Roland earlier today for literally making sure not the girls one, but the blacks and media one.
Speaker 4: So well at you.
Speaker 3: Actually you actually took yourself out of that chat. Yes, it's all good, but we love you nonetheless, and we love Rolling for no matter what we love we love Rolling because whether it's today on set making sure that we're straight, or making sure that black issues are being discussed, or making sure that there are black media buys, or making sure that black people have platforms, or making sure that we are all die shiky down to the sid.
Speaker 4: Is gonna look out.
Speaker 3: So we love you Rolling, and you all make sure that you also tune into Blackstar Network, that you tune in. Rolling is live tonight until midnight. I think we're gonna go see go see the show, Go see the show. We're going to go see the floor. Yeah, and we are going to continue to cheer on the Black Chair, the Black Sea, all of this convention, Mignon Moore and the Black Chair of the Democratic National Committee, Jamie Harrison, who spoke earlier today.
Speaker 4: So we're really thrilled to be here. We hope y'all tune in tomorrow seven Central.
Speaker 6: And this has been way before you say what it's been. I just want to give a quick shout out to all of the staff have helped to pull this.
Speaker 4: Thank you, team of talent over here.
Speaker 9: The creators, bookers together here with us.
Speaker 4: We're cheering for everybody. Chris Walker, We're cheering for everybody to say thank you.
Speaker 3: We are just about rapped, and I want to say this is episode thirty three of Native LAMPI.
Speaker 4: We're still rapping. But come on up here, you'll walk back.
Speaker 9: Nick.
Speaker 3: There're seventy seven days in til the election, seventy eight, but if.
Speaker 4: You tune in tomorrow, it'll be seventy in the morning exactly.
Speaker 3: But for those that you tune into the live stream and kept it with us, Hi Mark Urban League Presator. Hopefully we'll have it mine at some point this week. We love you, Love you, min And for now we're gonna wrap and maybe catch the end of Hillary Rodham Clinton's right.
Speaker 9: Welcome home, everybody, come.
Speaker 4: Help y'all'll.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives intention of with the info and all of the latest Roy Gilim and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful took the execute roles for serve, defending, protect the truth, even in pace for welcome home.
Speaker 12: To all of the Natives, We thank you.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Welcome Native Land Pod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reasons You Media. For more podcasts iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.