Speaker 1: It's Memorial Day. We're recording this today, Memorial Day. We should be at a barbecue together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should be eating ribs.
Speaker 3: We should be Wait, are you really trying wait, hold on, let me get this straight going.
Speaker 2: Are you really trying not to eat meat nowadays?
Speaker 1: I am a pescatarian. I'm trying that out.
Speaker 2: When did you become a pescatarian?
Speaker 1: I watched this documentary that really got me inspired about stopping eating animals besides fish.
Speaker 2: You sound like my dad. My dad is the same way right now.
Speaker 1: The documentary was it's called the Game Changers. Is that what it's called? Yes, game changers. So, but I've never done anything. I love burgers, I love I love all this shit. We all have eaten our whole lives. But we have all this time on our hands. Right, It's like an experimentation time on every front, right, Like you can experiment with you know, I've been experimenting with all sorts of things in my life. Is I'm sure a lot of people have. And one was like, okay, well let me just try this this during this time to only be a fish. And I do feel better, I do feel healthier.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, but I know you're I.
Speaker 1: Know you're very meat passionate.
Speaker 4: Donald.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm trying to stay away from the red meat. That's the hardest thing to stay away from. It's so tasty. So I've been trying to figure out different ways to cook a chicken, and I've been doing that a lot lately.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: I do agree that too much meat is bad for you, obviously, because you know, cholesterol says something about that, blood pressure says something about that, heart disease, colorectal cancer says a lot about that, you know what I mean, And that's when you eat too much red meat, usually or processed foods. I'm having a hard time getting off of all of that stuff though.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: But I gotta tell you last night we had a fake burger.
Speaker 2: You had Beyond Burger.
Speaker 1: It wasn't one of the fancy ones.
Speaker 2: Beyond.
Speaker 1: It wasn't beyond it impossible. It was the only two names I know, and we just got it at a supermarket. It was a nice a nice brand. I forgot the brand, but it was amazing. I mean, once you put cheese on it and all the fixens and your spices, it's great.
Speaker 2: But once you put the cheese on it.
Speaker 3: You're no longer prescytarian whatever it is that you're tresctarian.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, I'm I can eat cheese. I'm just not eating I'm not eating meat. I'm not eating I'm not eating any form of meat other than fish.
Speaker 2: All right, well should we sing?
Speaker 1: You don't seem happy. I want you to get happy. You seem very dumb if you can't sing unless you're happy. Donald's very old.
Speaker 2: Song, hold on, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 1: You just you have a furrowed brow.
Speaker 2: I am very happy, first of all.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's let me see it. We're about to bring on Randall Winston, one of the most exciting people.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited, but I don't want him to see you.
Speaker 1: Better turn that motherfucking bearded frown upside down.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you something right now.
Speaker 3: Randall Winston is responsible for some of the most happiest moments of my life.
Speaker 2: So I can't wait to have him on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, then count these motherfuckers in.
Speaker 2: Five, six, seven, eight, motherfuckers.
Speaker 5: Here's some story I'm not show. We made about a bunch of tips and nurses.
Speaker 6: He said he's a stormy neal, so Ganda around here, Ganda around here.
Speaker 7: Sweat me.
Speaker 1: There he is? Why is he wearing like a gaming headset?
Speaker 4: That's the only headset I can find.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're so normal.
Speaker 2: You're play an Xbox later, buddy.
Speaker 1: Did we interrupt you from call of duty? Or are you flying a chop? Are you flying a chopper anytimes too?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're so excited to have you on the show. Yeah, we hear you.
Speaker 4: Just awesome. Yes, these are this is my son's gaming heads I knew it.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is gonna be I wish the audience could see Randel is wearing a gaming headset. But if you don't play games, picture a helicopter headset, right, and he's in his beautiful garden and he's wearing his kids gaming inset.
Speaker 2: Well that literally is it? Literally is a game?
Speaker 4: Lights up?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love it? I love it. How are you man?
Speaker 1: How are you? Randy?
Speaker 4: I am fantastic, I mean, of things considered, I'm great.
Speaker 2: You know, congratulations on your pickup.
Speaker 4: Yes we did.
Speaker 3: We didn't get picked up, Randall, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you didn't get picked up. I'm sorry, It's all good.
Speaker 3: ABC decided not to go further with Emergents, but better news, ABC decided to go further with Mixed Dish, which is Randall's show. Now, let me get this straight. Randal, you're executive producer on the show.
Speaker 4: Now that is correct.
Speaker 2: Look at you man started.
Speaker 1: At rand We gotta go back because Randall's career is on FA and I think if for people that want to go into Hollywood, Randall is a really exciting case of someone that's on Fuego right now.
Speaker 3: Well, not only is Antuego. I remember a video. I don't know how I saw this video, but it was a video of you pretty much manifesting your destiny, you know what I mean, saying this is what I want to do. I want to move to Hollywood. I want to be a I want to be a big time producer. And you know, and you're very young in this video too.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I saw this video.
Speaker 4: It was it was posted by a friend of mine. It was we were like it was our twenty first birthday or something like that. This is a girl who I met on the journey to Los Angeles. We met at a rest stop in Oklahoma and became life for friends. We were on our way to come find our dreams. And she was very into documenting everything and Donald, I can't believe you saw that. That's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Donald and I are very into well I don't know, Donald, I think you are, but I'm very pro right now manifesting your shit and making everything happen. My friend, our friend, Amanda is missed like whiteboard and writing everything down. And actually I became friendly with John Legend's manager. I think I've told you this story Donald, who said that everything that John Legend has accomplished they put on a whiteboard when they were kids, like out of out of college, and they were like writing down, like they were laughing, like I don't know this many Grammys and cover a Time magazine and they were just like cracking each other up. And She's like, every single thing we put on that whiteboard happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Legend got an egot.
Speaker 1: He's got well, Randall's gonna get a fucking egot, especially for his acting skills.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, here we go.
Speaker 1: No, we had to get into it because Donald called me out to Randall saying that I dissed his work as Death in the show, and Randall texted me very upset about his work is death being criticized?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I played the part that was required of death. And I also, you know, death is not the only role that they played on Scrubs. You know.
Speaker 3: No, you also, well, we haven't gotten to the to the security guard yet. He hasn't been introduced yet, the hook the hook handed security guards.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot that you were the hook handed security guard.
Speaker 4: Leonard who had letter Letard, who had tens of fans?
Speaker 1: Randall, how many episodes did Leonard do? Do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly how many episodes he did, but I will tell you this, all fans that wrote to me, so many people from Men's prison got some sort of treat assigned script or something from Scrubs.
Speaker 3: So you are you aren't able to you weren't you were able to do it and not get carport tunnel, is what you're saying, because there's only like tens of them.
Speaker 1: Exactly would you really give fan mail?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I got like not a.
Speaker 1: Lot, but you got more fan mail Leonard or death.
Speaker 4: Leonard? For sure?
Speaker 2: All right, let's go back to the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's start at the very beginning.
Speaker 3: I tried to do that with you manifesting your destiny. But at some point things changed for you, Like you lived in New York for a little bit and then you moved to Los Angeles. Can you just tell us how it all started and how you got connected with Bill, and how this became and how this all trans send it into scrubs.
Speaker 4: Yes, the truth is Bill and I met socially first. As a matter of fact, on scrubs. We kept a graduation photo in Turk and JD's apartment and told everybody that was our graduation picture. But we really we met on the basketball court. I had an I had an old room, so I had I had driven out from the Midwest, you know, I kind of trying to find my dream, got to Los Angeles, snuck onto all the lots in town, got myself a job, and I started creating my circle, you know, your chosen family, your la family, and a guy who was my best friend, who I lived with, a guy named Greg Malon's who went on to run friends, and how I met your mother, and a bunch of other stuff. He and Bill had this played in this Saturday game and invited me to play a few times. And that's how that was how I originally met met Bill. I went from working for a guy named Gary Dave Goldberg. That was my very first job. He's the guy who created Family Ties. Yeah. Yeah, he was amazing. He was an amazing mentor and he had taken Bill under his wing. So so Gary is in some ways the reason that we started working together. And the first show we did together was a show called Champs. That was the first show we did together and Kevin Neilan was in it and it was it was DreamWorks very first TV show.
Speaker 3: So that kind of okay, Just to so Kevin Nilan, who Zach remembers being at the first party we ever had in our scrubs up. That's why Kevin Nielan was there, Zach. He wasn't there because he was a fan of the show. He was there because he worked with Bill and Randall.
Speaker 1: Okay, well he may have been a coincidence, but okay, I'll hear you, okay. Randal v. Froz are you still there? Oh boy?
Speaker 2: And that was when we lost random.
Speaker 1: Oh god, what are you drinking there?
Speaker 2: Momosa, little Mimosa. Memorial Day, Yeah, buddy.
Speaker 1: The think about Memorial Day is it's just another weekday that you can rationalize it's okay to drink early. Yeah, in this day and age, it doesn't feel any different. My girlfriend was like, it's a memorial day. I'm like, how is that going to be different from any other day that we're living in hibernation right now?
Speaker 2: Well, kids, we can drink. Yeah. The kids don't have to get on zoom today.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you have kids, they don't have to get on their zoom things.
Speaker 3: But but today is a is a day where you know, my wife looked at me, it was like, you're drinking already, and I was like, it's it's.
Speaker 1: A memorial day.
Speaker 2: It's a memorial day.
Speaker 1: So did she then join you?
Speaker 2: No, she did not. She was like, you're an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh shit, be like, baby, it's a Memorial Day.
Speaker 3: And on that note, I'm going upstairs to do my podcast.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Randall says he's resetting the Wi Fi. Oh god, that's that's that's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: You know, we lost all the momentum of blowing this guy up. We're gonna have to regenerate it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to regenerate it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to regenerate our Randall blow up.
Speaker 2: He said, fucking Spectrum.
Speaker 8: I just had my dad switch off of Spectrum for the same reason that shit is do do.
Speaker 1: Trum is bad. Dan, you don't support no, guys, I want you to listen. This is a very very technical man here, and he's saying fuck Spectrum. So if you're choosing a provider, listen to Dan.
Speaker 8: The only way that I found that you get good internet service is if you just switched from provider to provider every year or so. Because they don't reward loyalty. There's no like your bill is reduced, your service is better. It just gets worse and worse and worse, and they want to keep getting new customers. So I have gigabit Internet, a thousand megabytes up and down for seventy five bucks a month, which is the cheapest Internet I've ever had.
Speaker 2: And it's just because I switched.
Speaker 1: I What are you using now, Dan? AT and A T and T All right, Well, guys, you're hearing it a year first that Dan really recommends AT and T. It's really about you can work the companies against each other. If you're constantly quitting one and saying no, fuck off, you suck, and then they give you a better rate. So if you have the time, which you do now, you two can have fancy fast internet like Dan Randall welcome back, blowing you up. And then you had to do a Wi Fi problem.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's get back into it.
Speaker 1: So you let's just jump to in the spirit of time, let's just keep this moving. You start work on Spin City with Bill, and you hit it off. You become besties. You're partying around the city. Your young men in Manhattan, go.
Speaker 2: And make it from LA. How did you get from LA to Manhattan? How did that happen?
Speaker 1: Well, we're playing Donald no doubt.
Speaker 2: Fuck you man the fight. If I could reach through this screen right now.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know what, it goes back to basketball. We came off the basketball court one night playing and uh, Gary and Bill pulled me aside and they said, you know, we just wrote this pilot.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: We sent it to uh. We sent it to Michael J. Fox and they said, there's a character. The mayor is named after you. I think your mother would be very proud. Mayor Randall Winston and uhlaid by the great Berry box work and with the show Gut. We did the pilot, but Michael was living in New York and said he would only do this series if we took it to New York. So that was the opportunity of a lifetime, you know, change my life. I got the chance to go to New York. Garry took a select group of people and Donald you know Sebastians, Do you guys know Sebastian gents. We moved. We all went to New York with all excitement, like nobody was over anything. Everybody just was into going to the city. You were, How old were you I was? I think I was twenty nine. I think I turned thirty that year. But Bill was. Bill's like a year younger than me, and he had like the first American Express black card, and he would say, you know, Randall go out and find us in after hours every Friday. So there'd be lines at these after ours clubs and they're like, you know, absolutely, we don't have any room. I'd be like, you got room now, motherfucker. Now Now I say, I say, I need two cases of champagne and a private room. And that was just the beginning.
Speaker 2: Right now, I got to tell you something.
Speaker 3: Some of my favorite moments, some of the best moments of my life I've shared with you. Rend you have been present at some of the most special moments, some of the most wildest moments, some of the craziest moments of my life have been with you there.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: Everything, everything from partying in Vegas to marrying him and his wife and everything in between, Randall has been there.
Speaker 2: He has been there.
Speaker 1: How many people have you married, Randall?
Speaker 4: U seventeen successful couples? Donald? What I said? I said, you got to be serious, because everybody I marry stays together?
Speaker 2: Right? How many? How many people have gotten divorced?
Speaker 4: Zero?
Speaker 1: You got a good streak.
Speaker 4: I don't have people messing with my streak up now.
Speaker 1: Now, Randal, If I'm listening to this, I was preparing for this, and I thought, if I'm listening to this and I'm interested in production, but I don't know anything about it. I see in the credits all the time a line producer, but I see exec producer, I see associate producer. I see all these titles. Could you explain to people that have nothing to do with the business what a line producer does?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it is. It's true that the TV credits are lousy with producers, and usually if the credit is line producer or produced by that credit is reserved for the person who is essentially responsible for keeping the train running on time, making sure that you've got the right group people in the right place, making sure that the show is on budget, that it is getting delivered on time, not just within the time concerts of your time slote, but delivered the day that it's supposed to be delivered, you know, sort of soup to nuts. That it starts with the prep, which is, as it sounds, the paring of the show. When you first get a little bit of information about the about the series and each episode, you know, you start to break it down with your team. You know, how many actors are we going to need, do we need to build sets? Are we going out anywhere? And what is it going to take? And I think that job at its best is a negotiator and a translator. You know, that's somebody who you know, oftentimes it was between I'm working between Bill on scrubs, between Bill who created the show, and the studio and the network. So everybody's getting what they need and even when they're not speaking the same language, or figure out what the best thing to accomplish what's in the script is can be accomplished within the box that's been built.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the line bruisers. Also, if you think about it, the keeper of the purse in a sense that when you're directing or show running, you will often think, oh, I think we should I wrote this big scene. It'd be great to shoot it in this amazing restaurant. And then I want to get a crane outside that's gonna come down here, and then it'd be cool if it was raining outside. This is when the line producer starts to sweat, when we start to go, wait, we need rain, need rain, every every time.
Speaker 4: Every time Zach got a directing assignment, before there was even a script, he could come here and say, I need a crane exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what the fucking script says, but I'm gonna need a big ass cran. But so it's the line producer's job, almost like a parent, to be like, look, you use the dollar and you got your candy bar. You should have saved it and you could have gotten ice.
Speaker 4: Cream, yes, right, you could have. You could have one big thing or two little things right right.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times it's negotiation, like you like, hey, you know they're keeper of the money. But in terms of the money, it's not just the camera gear, but how many crew, how many extras are you're gonna be able to afford? Are you gonna be able to do any overtime on? All of that is off into the releaseship I often have with the line producer. As they say it, think of it like a Chinese food menu, in that you're choosing from a myriad of things that you can have, but you can't exceed that budget. So if you do want a big ass crane, then maybe you can't have as many background at the wedding.
Speaker 4: It's so funny that you say that. I oftentimes it crossed my career have literally made a Chinese menu for directors and producers, you know, because you inevitably get to a point and Bill and I used to have, you know something back then it was like the thousand dollars deal, which was once we had locked the budget, he was not allowed to bring me any problems that cost more than one thousand dollars. Like I could figure it out, you know, if it was a thousand or under. But you know, you can't be adding stuff once we're once we started rolling.
Speaker 1: Now on screen back in the day, we would do a lot of overtime, which which now people don't really do anymore, right, I mean, on your jobs now, are people pretty much keeping it to twelve hours these days?
Speaker 4: It depends, really, I mean for the for the most part, yes, but a lot has changed. You know. We did for a big chunk of that show a true single camera show, which is almost all shows have more than one camera rolling at the time now, so you can get more work done within the hours you can get you know, for those who do people know that just been single and multi like usually on the single camera show, you're getting one angle at a time, shooting one actors close up, and then you turn around and get the other actor, and the more actors in a scene, you know, the more times you're turning, And if you have multiple cameras, then you can get multiple shots. But on a show like Mixed Dish, you know, or you know, American Housewife or any show that's got a family, you know, family show as opposed to community, you're up against kid hours. So those shows in particular are held to a bricter standard. Hoowers.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest with you, I love it when kids are on the show now and you're working the show because you're not going past twelve hours. Dude, you might not even do eight hours that day, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love so I did Emergence this uh this last year didn't get picked up ABC.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You were great in it.
Speaker 1: Donald, by the way, you were great in that show. I think we should pour some out for Emergence of Emergence.
Speaker 3: But I remember we had two very young ladies on the show and they were in school and once they showed up to set, we had the clock was ticking. We had eight hours to get them done or they would they turned into a pumpkin yea, And so I used to love that.
Speaker 2: It would be like, are the kids working today? They'd be like yeah, and I'd be like, great.
Speaker 3: That means I'm done before you know, I'm done before the sun goes down. Is when the kids weren't working that you were like, oh my god, I'm gonna be here forever.
Speaker 2: Well, random, you see kids on.
Speaker 3: There, you can make it right right, You'd be like, I can make that eight o'clock movie tonight.
Speaker 1: Randall, you and I always got along so well. You know, sometimes the relationship between a director and a line producer could be contentious because the director feels like, oh, you're taken away. You're not you're not working with me, you're not making it, you're not helping me realize all the things I want to do. Of course, the line producer has a stressful job. You're like, dude, you're killing me. You're so over budget, what the hell are you talking about. But but when the two are friends and they feel like, hey, let's work it out, then then then it never gets contentious. But of course sometimes when people don't get along, the line producer and the director don't always like each other.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that, uh, it has been to the great benefit of my career in general. Part of it is just I think the way that I like to work is that the goal is to be symbiotic. Like you know, when people think that it's contentious, it is contentious, but you know, we're all rowing in the same direction. You want, you want a great show, you want and comedies in particular, you know, like I think about the episode, not it's the episode to day, but your episode when you when you go into the puddle and you see, uh, what was.
Speaker 1: A sea monster? Do you say? Sea monster? It was not a sea monster random named Julian.
Speaker 4: Julian.
Speaker 1: I love that you said sea monsters. What was the sea monster's name?
Speaker 4: So that's a perfect example of that script had so much in it. But that was the biggest joke in the show. And you know, we had to call the city and get Diggler and it was the first time I got to use a jackhammer, and we're like digging holes in the parking lot and creating a swimming pool that we're gonna have to fill in. But but the question was, you know, is this one of the funniest things in the script? What what what are we gonna give up or combined so that we can keep that and that trusting relationship, you know, with with with the actor, with the director, with the writers, you know, builds that thing that you're.
Speaker 1: Talking and Renald, you're the kind of person that was like so on board. You'd be like, oh my god, we have to figure it out.
Speaker 2: We have to figure out a way.
Speaker 1: I know because I think that I think that gag, which involved building two different small swimming pools to code because the city was not going to let anyone not do it to code, was one of the most expensive gags in Scrubs history.
Speaker 4: As I recall, Yes it was, Yes, it was very expensive.
Speaker 2: But that's you're right, Zach. That's a very important point.
Speaker 3: If you have a line producer who's game, and it's like, I can figure this out. If you work with me, we can figure this out. You're gonna get some of the best stuff, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course I was so weirried about Randall was he wasn't you know some of these guys and gals are sitting in office and they're rolling your eyes when you walk in. Randon was out there with the jackhammer being like, I can't believe o' building.
Speaker 4: The tay totally true?
Speaker 1: All right, should we get into the episode. Let's get into the episode. So Randal, this one is supersized. Let's talk about that. Very rare. Most episodes thus far in the show are been twenty two minutes without commercials. This one is twenty eight, which is a bit leap to supersize. Right.
Speaker 4: It was a big It was a big issue at the time the show with the pizza clock as we as we called it. But the network was very contemptus about this episode and they did not rerun it. Again in certainly not that season, and I don't think for years because being supersized and it's a it's a very thoughtful episode, you know, very emotional goes inside where where the characters are. And I think at the time, you know, we were still in season one and they wanted it to just to be you know, more JD falling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, they were like, what are you doing this weird documentary style interludes? I mean, where's JD running into a wall? And you know, but it's a great episode. I just want to say. Written by Gabrielle Allen and directed by Lawrence Trilling, who became one of our favorites early on. He then went on to do Pushing Daisies and Parenthood and I just googled now that he's on Goliath. But super talented guy.
Speaker 2: I think Lawrence Trilling and I did Felicity together.
Speaker 1: He did?
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 1: He did? Were we ever on Alias?
Speaker 4: Done? No?
Speaker 2: I was never on Alias?
Speaker 1: Okay, well he also did Alias, but yeah, he directed Young Donald Faison and Felicity.
Speaker 4: He's a really great guy, really fun, good director. And Gabby got I love her.
Speaker 1: Good team, great team, and I just thought there's a lot of style to this. So so there became this convention a few conventions. There's the pizza clock thing if you look down at the pizza guys, in case you didn't notice, the idea was that it was mimicking a clock. And so as the episode is cutting between that one night of Saturn and I in bed and then back to the few weeks that follow us trying to date, whenever it cuts back, the pizza's trying to look like a clock from that night. So there's that sort of gag, the timeline shake up, and then there's these documentary stop shaky cam, grainy film as though we're all being interviewed for a psychologist project on why people become doctors?
Speaker 3: Right, all right, okay, well that's not I thought that was the next episode, but okay.
Speaker 1: No, that's my bed banter. And beyond that's inter cutting Saren I and our big epic fuck fest for lack of a better term, I gotta.
Speaker 2: Tell you something, man, no miss that.
Speaker 3: Let's go back because are you said the word, and now I'm gonna now we can talk about it. I guess I missed those days. I missed the days when it was just sex all day. You know before kids, when you could just bone all day, then go out to dinner that night and then bone some more. My wife and I, you know what, we gotta make an appointment now and it.
Speaker 1: Sucks, isn't in your cow?
Speaker 2: Dude, I'll be like it.
Speaker 3: You think it's a joke, and a lot of stand up comics have made this joke, but it's real.
Speaker 2: You'll be like, how about sex Thursday? Can we do Thursday?
Speaker 1: I'm having my hair.
Speaker 3: Done right, No, no, no, no, no no. The kid's got zoom all day. I'm gonna be exhausted by eight o'clock. There's no way. And Ozark comes on. I gotta watch Ozark?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Jason Bateman, Jason Bateman is stealing your sex night.
Speaker 3: Jason Bateman is fucking it up for me right now.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: I hear the shows that the good looking man.
Speaker 3: I hear the show's great, but damn you, Jason Bateman. I just wish he would get through the show already. I just missed those days. I missed the days where it was like and not.
Speaker 2: Granted.
Speaker 3: I love my children and I love having them in my life, but I just missed the days of freaking waking up boning, going to Hugo's.
Speaker 2: To get breakfast.
Speaker 3: Or brunch, right, brunch, whatever it is, coming back home and being like, well, what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't fucked in like five hours, we might as well fuck again.
Speaker 4: Perfect Donald, I am sitting outside looking longingly at my blackout shutters, and how will you to use them? So much more?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Just like crank it down, black out the bedroom and.
Speaker 2: And do what you gotta do right them days is over them? Days?
Speaker 1: Is you guys are really doing a great ad for having children right now?
Speaker 2: No, you should do it. It's great, It's wonderful.
Speaker 1: As you both drink your white claw.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Elliott has said in previous episodes that she's never had an orgasm, and she said that she doesn't like sex. So is JD the first person to not only bring her to orgasm but show her the wondrous world of epic sex days?
Speaker 2: I'm sure you would like to think so, I think.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not JD. Donald, I'm Zach Braff, but I'm character of JD. Probably was good in bed.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, in the beginning of it all, JD was kind of a sucker when he's like he's almost let her walk out of the house, and she was obviously very much into jd.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, dude, I disagree. I was watching it with fresh eyes and I was thinking I couldn't read where she was. Was she like, hey, I should go? And then you know you know what that's like back in the day.
Speaker 3: Do I hate that shit? I hate that shit? Why to test? Why I gotta be tested for? How come you can't just be like, you know what, maybe, uh, this was a mistake.
Speaker 2: Was it a mistake though? Or did you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like I remember saying to my wife when she was my girlfriend, like, you know, I don't know, I don't know if this is if this is working out, you know what I mean, and her being.
Speaker 2: Like, you don't.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, this is the best thing that's ever happened to you. What do you mean you don't know if this is working out? Like that was real talk. The fact that Jad almost had her out the door before he was before she turned around and was like, yo, just say you want me to stay and stop being a sucker, stop being a a little punk about this. Just say you want me to stay, and I'll stay and we can go have sex again, and then he's finally like, will you stay? She's like, yeah, you gotta pay for that though, because I almost will.
Speaker 1: But don't you remember back in the day when you weren't, when you weren't in such a long term relationship, when something's new and you're kind of insecure about it, You're like, did this person have as good of fun as I did? I don't want to be the one who put I don't want to put my one. I don't want to be the one who puts myself out there and and and gets dissed. Like you're you're You're in a very vulnerable state. You're like, I kind of like this person, do they like me?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Well did I? Ja? Do you? The character just wasn't he in the friend zone a couple episodes before that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah they were. They were friend zoned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, uh, maybe seven episodes before he gets friend zoned and.
Speaker 1: Then he and then we gotta go to break. We'll be right back with the legendary Randall Winster.
Speaker 2: Random where instand is. We're very excited.
Speaker 1: We're very excited Randall's here. We're talking about sex. JD and Elliott have an epic epic twenty four hours of sex, and it seems that JD has found a way to bring Elliott all the way to the Promised Land because she seems to be really enjoying sex.
Speaker 3: Well, the fact that they have it like six or seven times is ridiculous. And she even brings up, I'm gonna need a vagina transport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she says, She's said you need a giant transplant, which is a very funny fantasy cutting to the guys.
Speaker 2: Running through Go Do Go Bucks box.
Speaker 4: It's a cooler. Randall was that they should have done the song vagainaa Bucks.
Speaker 1: Randall was vagina transplant something that anyone was worried about getting through the sensors, because it seems pretty pretty risque to have a vagina in a box.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember there being like some conversation about I can't remember whether it was whether it was a Chris But the great thing about Scrubs was that there was always something else to point at, like, you know, another red herring. I was like, well, they have a vaian in the box, but he says, dick three times two pages later, we'll get rid of that and let us keep a giant.
Speaker 1: So part of Randall's job was was being Bill's liaison to the studio. I mean, like, listen, guys, it's just one vagina in a box. We're not gonna have vaginas in boxes every week.
Speaker 4: And and the and the great thing about about the h the working with the person. There was a woman I can't remember if this was Sandy Christmas, it was this Sandy Christmas. It was this very sweet woman who used to have these conversations with So I'd get on the phone and she'd be like, now, Randall, I back to vagina in the bull and you know, and then you later say, penis you know, do we have to have all of that in the show? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And what's funny is they'll often give you they'll often give you a sheet of all their objections and it's a negotiation, and then even when you get it through, they'd be like, Okay, we're fine with the vagina in the box, please do not show a vagina in a box. Like even shit, You're like, really, guys, you had to write that on the paper, like you think we were gonna cut to a vagina on for NBC in the box.
Speaker 4: And sometimes they say sometimes they say stuff and you're thinking, oh damn, you're weight dirtier than I thought. That is not what we meant. This is a true story. We had to go into the effects visual effects and adjust Donald scrubs in a particular scene because they thought we're seeing too much of a bob.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is how we do, Dan, how about thunder and we do. Let's have some thunders to plaster as applause from my junk and then Dan, if you wouldn't mind put them?
Speaker 4: That was I used to do a Loma at the t and most of my yes inspired me to just go mm hm.
Speaker 1: Whenever Nurse Roberts couldn't be at the table, read Randa would would play her and his favorite part was doing her.
Speaker 3: M speaking of speaking of Aloma, Holy cow, she's amazing in this episode, very funny.
Speaker 2: Every one of her lines lands hard.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: White boys? Uh you mean it was a secret.
Speaker 3: All of that stuff, everything that everything that she said in this episode, I laughed out loud.
Speaker 1: Now let's get rid of into it right away, you know. Let's you know, the janitor sees Aloma and she sees him, and she looks at him like, get the fuck out of my way, and Randall. Bill is still hanging onto his his his dream that the Janitor was only seen by JD in season one, and we are Donald and I are detectives that are quickly proving him wrong in every other episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I was. I never bought into that, that that he was a figment of JD's imagination. It's mister snuff. Yeah, yeah, I mean, and I remember he had because there's some episodes later. I remember an episode I directed where he has a group of benchmen played by our Grip team, you know, and they are all in it.
Speaker 3: With him, and isn't his his side He has two sidekicks, Troy and Randall.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, Randall.
Speaker 3: I remember Randall played by Martin, played by Martin.
Speaker 1: Martin, who was also in Oz the Great and Powerful with me, and he was also in Pirates of the Caribbean. Yes, let's talk about Colleco Vision, which comes up at seven twenty one. Did you have Collecovision either one of you?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 3: My friend had Calleco Vision, and I remember colleco Vision being so awesome because the video games looked exactly like they look in the arcade. So if you had Donkey Kong it looked like Donkey Kong from the Arcade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was you had first.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that game?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't remember the Smurf Well, if.
Speaker 1: You were interested in video games, please go. I'm sure on YouTube they can play you the theme music from Smurfs on Cleacovision. And that jam was fire?
Speaker 2: Was it? La la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 9: That was the dope ship La la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 1: La la Ahead.
Speaker 4: Let me.
Speaker 3: Let's put it this way. If jay Z can make a song from Hard Knock Life.
Speaker 1: Yes, dude, do that again and I'll kick in my beat box and we got a jam halfway there.
Speaker 9: Hey, la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 1: Dam And you're gonna have to line that up with some delay, but we I think it's fire, and I think we can beat a Hard Knocked Life.
Speaker 4: You you did me that donald On set you to do Transformers as a dude.
Speaker 3: Late Neil Diamond, Neil Diamond singing Transformers. I thought I did it already, But if I haven't, if you missed it to Transformers more.
Speaker 2: Than meets the eye.
Speaker 10: Keep going, keep going, bud face their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons.
Speaker 1: By meay Neil Diamond's your best impersonation. You also do a pretty good uh, I don't know how much.
Speaker 3: My Well, you do a better version of Aaron Neville than I do. Mine's trash that maybe, yeahs is way better than mine, way better than mine.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: That's the extent of our impressions. Gleco Vision great game system. I felt like a baller because I had it, and uh uh you know, I remember the control was like it was like a long rectangle and then there was a.
Speaker 2: Circle on the bottom. Yeah, not to be confused.
Speaker 1: With in television, which I didn't have.
Speaker 2: Or in television. Wow was it in television? It was Kalico.
Speaker 1: Vision started with the Atari twenty six hundred. I remember that everybody had that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there was Vision.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Randall, I feel like the guy with the gaming heads that you weigh in.
Speaker 4: But this makes me said one hundred years old. I am currently doing a puzzle during COVID that is all of the original video games Atari and like, yeah, so it's.
Speaker 1: I need that puzzle. We we got a Van Gos Starry Night, and we're not even getting anywhere near to starting it. But I feel like if it was the old game consoles, we've had it done already.
Speaker 4: I'm sending it to you.
Speaker 2: There's an Alf mentioned in this show.
Speaker 1: Alf.
Speaker 2: I was a huge fan of Alf when I.
Speaker 1: Too, Max, Right, what do you doing out?
Speaker 3: The puppet from out of space who loved to eat cats?
Speaker 1: I remember being a little kid and the trailer teaser for ALF came on and I remember being a little kid, my first film critic going that looks so stupid. Cut to me loving Alf, like having alf stuffed animals?
Speaker 4: What was not to love about ALF? I visited the ALF set, you did, I remember? Yes?
Speaker 1: That was it raised up so they could have a puppeteer.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it was like it was. It wasn't at a real stage. It was at uh an, a warehouse in Culver City.
Speaker 1: Is I pall? Max Wright, who was who played the father, who was an accomplished theater actor and Shakespearean actor and genius actor all around fucking hated it. I think that's part of the lore, is that he absolutely hated doing a puppet show.
Speaker 4: Now, did you did you watch all the Alps were religious ALF because there's.
Speaker 1: Episodes, I Mitch, I mean, I'm not ready to do the rewatch podcast.
Speaker 4: But there's a there's a very special ALF where I remember mostly is crying during alf. ALF wred to visit the girl in the hospital. It was like, you know, tonight on a very special ALF.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when they would do you remember when they would like back in the day, for those of you who are too young, they when there was a sad like on Scrubs. We had sad episodes all the time, but on the old school sitcoms, they would always warn you, like tonight on a very special silver Spoons, the ricker will the ricker will kill a deer, we recommend and they would go, we recommend parents watch with their children. Do you remember that for sure?
Speaker 4: But on Scrubs, if it was sad, we just would play the theme song a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was silver spoons when the wrecker killed a deer, there was different strokes. When Dudley got molested by the bike shop owner, remember that.
Speaker 2: I do remember that, and everything happened to Dudley or Arnold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I don't know what happened on ALF, but I don't know if they made the announcement. It must have been serious.
Speaker 3: Tony special episode of Alf Alf learns to touch himself.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, oh boy, but you can't handle it.
Speaker 1: I used to have an alf stuffed animal and uh, well, never mind that. Man, it sounds like I fucked the doll. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I just I just it did sound like you were about to say it sounded like you were about to say, yeah.
Speaker 2: I fucked the doll.
Speaker 1: Did Alf have a tail?
Speaker 2: I don't know. No, no, no, he did not.
Speaker 4: I don't think so well.
Speaker 1: Can you please look up with Alf had a tail?
Speaker 2: Alf did not have a tail.
Speaker 1: You're feeling really confident about that. You didn't see pretty sure you didn't see Alf's ask that much.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's talk about how well Johnny does in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the monologue, in the monologue section, everybody's great. In the Oh, Joelle, what you look? Your face lit up?
Speaker 2: Alf does have a tail?
Speaker 1: Donald, You fucking liar.
Speaker 2: I just don't remember after the long term.
Speaker 1: No, it's like a dog's tail.
Speaker 4: And it only because you can see him like he's looking out the window in a single shot.
Speaker 3: Listen, but I want to see if the album barely remember episodes of Scrubs.
Speaker 2: How am I supposed to remember Alf?
Speaker 1: He does have a tail, so I am a memory. I think what I was trying to say with the stuff animals, I used to pull Alf's tail through his legs to make it look like it was Alb's peenis.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, so is good in this episode? Yes, not only that.
Speaker 2: Before we do that, let's go back a little bit.
Speaker 3: Uh, I didn't know that Kelso's actual name was Kelso Kelso Kelsanovitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't think that comes up again. But this is the first episode where he introduces his wife's name, Enid.
Speaker 3: Right, and I thought that was just very interesting that, you know, he changed his name to fit in to be to sound more American, so instead of kel Sonovich, it then became Kelso.
Speaker 1: I think everybody did, including uh, Donald Faison and Judy and Sarah. Everybody was great in these monologue sections. They were, oh god, it was kind of a cool. It's funny because that documentary style became very common in shows like the Office and A Modern Family that were doing sort of the shaky cam documentary style was not a style we did on Scrubs. But because of this segment, I don't know why the interviewer was so herky jerky with the damn camera. I mean, put the fucking thing on a tripod and calm down. But it was the interviewer was making like his own shaky cam TV show. But I thought everyone it seemed like the mandate was that they were not going to have cuts in them. They would all be long takes. And yeah, and I thought everyone did a really nice job in those scenes.
Speaker 2: Do you call it?
Speaker 3: They prepared us for that, because the fact that I knew my lines like that was very weird yourself. I'm watching it, I'm like, they're gonna cut soon, because there's no way I remember all of this.
Speaker 4: We talked about it a lot, and we knew it was gonna be one take. If I remember correctly, those are half the monologues that we did. I mean, part of the reason why the episode is so long is because those chunks. And I remember Johnny C I feel like he was disappointed because there was another long take. You know. So even though this episode is what do we Say? Twenty four eight, twenty eight, twenty eight, I think the editor's cut was closer to forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a really cool section later on where Donald and Judy are side by side and they're still not cutting, so they were able to time out. I don't know, was Judy in the room reading with you? Donald, do you remember?
Speaker 4: No? That was it.
Speaker 2: They gave us earwigs, I think for that.
Speaker 1: Because earwig, if for those who don't know, is a tiny ear piece that goes in your ear that you can't see, the camera can't see.
Speaker 3: I remember rehearsing it with the voice track.
Speaker 2: I think they recorded Judy first.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong, though, I think they recorded Judy first and then I went in after her to record.
Speaker 1: Well, the timing of that was perfect because you you know, you had to stall, so you were like thinking and then you took a sip of your water and like it totally looked natural, but it was. It was well done by by Larry trilling trilling Man.
Speaker 3: That was one of the That was one of the highlights in my notes that I wrote. You know, this was his first episode to direct for us, and we gave him a pretty you know, you guys gave him a big randall and you and Bill gave.
Speaker 2: Him a pretty big episode to produce.
Speaker 3: I wondered if it was ever, like, Yo, what money do I get to make this go easier for me?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I'm guessing he was told that it was going to be a long one because right Randall or it was decided after the fact.
Speaker 4: It was decided after the fact. We didn't know it was going to come out, but we knew from timing the table read that we were up against it and that we didn't want to make cuts in those you know, soliloquy pieces, you know, directly to the camera. For some reason, I feel like production wise, there was just a lot of talk about the pizza clock, like getting the right angle and how much beizza did it take out? And you know, we were we were in that bedroom for so long, which was a tight set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Sarah and I, you know, we were friends and we really loved each other. But that was a very bizarre thing to have that much fake sex all over one set for many days on end.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, not just that you guys were very much in each other's face. I was going to ask you, you guys made out a lot in this episode. Yeah, how awkward was that for you?
Speaker 1: I think it was you know, you always hear actors talking about, oh it's you know, it's all very you know, choreographed, and it's not weird at all.
Speaker 4: It is weird.
Speaker 1: You know, there's everyone standing around, you're making out with your good friend. Uh, it's you know, it was. It was bizarre. I remember being because also a lot of most times like okay, there's a quick makeout scene. It's a TV show, you know, that's that's all it ever is. This was like, you know, wrestling around and groping each other and for days, So it was.
Speaker 2: Weird face to face and not only face to.
Speaker 1: Fanaka Donald, you gotta have Banaka. We had a boom man named Kevin. What was his last name? Ryandal do you remember?
Speaker 4: I can't figure it right now.
Speaker 1: Also hires the whole crew everybody, so he should really know Kevin's last name. But Kevin used to see that we all used to have banaka. This is like back in the day still that we had like spray the aerosol banokam and uh. We made a joke like, oh, it'd be great because the boom MIC's right over your head. We were like, it'd be great if there was a boom if there was banaka on the boom, because then we can just reach up, pull the boom mic down and grab it off. Next day we show up and he had velcrowe a banaka to the end of the boom mic not not the mic itself, the stick and poll and Kevin santy, thank you and uh and and literally he wasn't just a joke. He kept it up there for like months. And whenever you need a banaka, you just reach up, grab the boom pole, pull it off to a spray. They'll crawl back and stick it up.
Speaker 3: I used to go crazy with the banaka because I felt like, maybe if I spray enough in my mouth the aarosol and the freaking mint will get me high enough.
Speaker 1: When your weed was wearing off. So Donald, this weed had worn off and he was on set too long. He's like, let me try and get high on baca.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember one day Randall came into the room.
Speaker 3: Randal, tell me if you remember this, and you were like Donald and we were on set.
Speaker 2: You were like, Donald, wake up.
Speaker 3: Do I need to splash cold water in your face and something breake you ass up?
Speaker 2: Where you high or something?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no, No, But in my mind I was like, they know, they know.
Speaker 1: It's probably because you were taking too long to get to set.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: The only time I took a long time to get to set was when Grand Theft Auto Vice City came out. And I remember one time they were trying to get me the set and I was my way out the door and Randall's pushing my door in as I'm pulling it and I was like hi, and he was like, get upstairs, random.
Speaker 1: You had to be bad cop.
Speaker 4: I had to get the grip. Yeah, grab people, steer them. I remember sending a PA to your house one time, Zach. Somebody had to climb over the fence to get you to like, wait, it.
Speaker 1: Was a really bad moment. No, what happened was the power. What had happened was the power went out. The power went out in my in my on my street or my neighborhood, and so the alarms didn't go off and and also the phones didn't work, and so I woke up to a PA knocking on my window, and which is the worst sight if you're an actor. It's like the most horrible feeling. And I remember getting to set really late, and Bill looked at me, and he's like, no, no, don't worry, we'll split the fifty grand.
Speaker 4: I think during scrubs I had a real moment of peace about producing, which was I gave up on the idea of everything being okay for more than five minutes at a time, because nothing's ever always okay. It's like no, and and nobody comes to my door to be like everything's great. It's like, you know, somebody took my candy. We don't have any film. You know, somebody's late.
Speaker 3: Did we ever run out of film?
Speaker 4: We came, We came close. We used to a lot of short ends one particular week because part of the reason that we were able to fly under the radar financially, and one of the reasons that that show is one of the last shows to be on film is because we shot on sixteen. We shot Super sixteen, not thirty five, So we cut our production costs, you know, by a lot. But we made a great print. I mean we we showed that show on a DJA in the GGA screening room and held up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, those of you who don't know, this was one of the last shows still being shot on film, especially sixteen millimeter film. Probably at the time. Probably nothing is right now, I would guess unless it's like a big budget feature on Netflix or something. But most people don't do that anymore anyway, And it's one of the reasons why people always ask how come there's no blu ray and high resolution sixteen by nine version of the show. It's because when we made it, we didn't and we were done with it. No one anticipated all this streaming stuff, so it was never like upres to be four K video.
Speaker 4: Right, they didn't cut the film and then we do it, and some of the film that we used you can't even get anymore. A lot of the flashback scenes I think, I think you'll see it in season one are shot on something that was called reversal film, which was like from the Vietnam War. It could had this look of yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why they have a specific texture, though in fact there's different clearly a different film stock being shot for these interview sequences, because they're very grainy and have a different color sort of palette than the show itself.
Speaker 3: When did we switch When did we switch over to chip? Then when did we switch over to digital?
Speaker 1: Because I know, did you do it in season nine? It would only be in season nine.
Speaker 2: I think it was before season nine, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I mean because because it was talked about so much shows, because NBC had made this mandate that everybody was going digital. But then when they looked at our numbers, they were like, hey, keep doing what you're doing. Like I think, I think maybe in that season nine we went digital, Like I honestly can't remember us the top of my head.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember that that was very interesting when you would see them changing mags or somebody getting the film ready for the day and having to put the film in a mag so that it could fit on the camera and reaching into this like bag.
Speaker 2: It looked like a bag, is what it looked like.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a picture like a miniature camping tent that like that would fit on a desktop, and it was blacked out so that they could put their hands in there and not expose the film while loading them camera magazines.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I used to I used to be like, I remember when we switched over to I guess it was season nine where we switched over to CHIP and I remember being like, this is the easiest thing in the world. Why didn't we do this before, like we could do takes for days and days and days. All I remember all my fuck ups, every time I missed a line or forgot a line and everything like that. I remember being like, how much how much more room do we have on the mag before? Before you know what I mean, before we're out and we have to and we have to change the mag again.
Speaker 1: You'd have eleven you'd have about eleven minutes on a sixty millimeter magazine and uh and and you'd be like trying to trying to get it, be like, how much how much more fun we got before you rolled out? I got it? I got I got it. Let's go, let's go go, you can go forever.
Speaker 2: Now you'd be like, don't cut, don't cut. We gotta cut, we gotta cut.
Speaker 3: We only got like nineteen feet, all right, fine cut.
Speaker 1: When I say to Sarah, we're gonna need a stool sample, not for medical reasons, my robot needs food. I made that, I'm proud to say, and Sarah cracked up at it. And it's so random and weird, but I love it. Okay, I gotta feed my robot yo pooh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody's pooh patient pooh patient poof for the rover.
Speaker 4: It all comes down to pooh.
Speaker 1: Everything comes And I laughed out loud when Sarah is seventeen oh four. Sarah is making fun of my laugh because she's like already over me, and she's.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my god, that is so funny. That does a funny impression of you, because I mean that laugh has got a lot of genuine laughs with the silly JD laugh all through the season. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's how every I think that's how every relationship should be.
Speaker 2: What you see is what you get, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, unfortunately what you see and what you get sometimes you think you want it, and then eventually it makes you want to kill the person what it turns out to, which turns out to be with Elliott and JD. She loved the laugh in the beginning. Oh I love it so cute, and then at the end of the show she's like, fuck that laugh, dude, laugh like that again one more time, I dare you.
Speaker 1: It's like, say what again?
Speaker 2: Say again, motherfucker, say what one more time?
Speaker 1: I know I hear you. Isn't that so sad?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: When a relationship goes sour and all the things you thought were so adorable you now just fucking hate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my life back in the day. Oh, he's got such potential.
Speaker 1: We have some guests here, Randall. So we have a guest that come on the show. Randal, I know that you don't listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: So Randall listens to the podcast.
Speaker 1: He does, I don't. Yeah, he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: Because somebody was like, yo, they talked about you on the podcast the other Yeah.
Speaker 1: That means that means that Randall was told by someone and he went and listened to one.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh, they got a podcast. Check out.
Speaker 5: Somebody's on the.
Speaker 4: Podcast his real friends. I was like, oh nice.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, I got shut out.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna go to a break and when we come back, we'll have our guests.
Speaker 1: So Randall, when we do the commercial breaks and the song comes back, it doesn't have them. A lot of a lot of our fans like to add their own. That's part of Barbara Robbie. Barbara and Robbie are twins.
Speaker 2: One of your is a doctor.
Speaker 1: My god, things are getting weird, you guys. Two different women have entered and they appear to be identical twins in different parts of the world where you guys call it from.
Speaker 11: I'm calling from UK, in the.
Speaker 2: UK, and you're so you guys, are you a doctor?
Speaker 11: Yes I am, Yes, I am, but I'm not working yet.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: I had some problems for coronavirus which delayed some technical issues.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: And then Robbie, what about you? Are you a doctor too? No?
Speaker 12: No, I got doited in law last February.
Speaker 2: So you've got a lawyer and a doctor. Your parents will be very happy, very proud.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: And last time we saw each other was at the beginning of March when I brought Bobby to the airport to take her flight to go to the UK and move there.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you've been apart for a long time. I just miss each.
Speaker 11: Other, Yes, a lot. That's why I also asked you to do this meeting in because I knew that it was very important to her. It is important also for me. But she had a very rough time, so oh well, we're.
Speaker 1: Here to cheer her up. I'm so glad that you called in because not only do you have the legendary Donald Faison here and he's always funny, you have Randall Winston, who was our line producer, but you may know him as Leonard the security guard. And also he played Death and you know, we've gotten a lot of questions for Death on our Instagram pages. So finally you can ask deaf any question you have.
Speaker 11: Oh, that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Than played much mouth from the Yeah you did play much mouth from Freaking the Fat Out Jump.
Speaker 1: Yes, different, you had three different parts.
Speaker 2: You had that big ass helmet on your head too. All right, so let's.
Speaker 1: Get ahead, ladies, ask a question.
Speaker 12: I would like to start it because I am in a theater company as well, so sometimes we argue about the best ways to perform. You know, when you have to feel in character and you have to feel what your character is feeling in order to act. So I was wondering whether sometimes you had some difficulties with that and to make a very strange scene you couldn't really feel what JD or Turk or.
Speaker 4: Or Leonards.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Bobby, thank you for including him.
Speaker 12: My pleasure, So if you had to find some strange way to perform. I thought about this question when I was listening to your podcast last week, and Donald said when he had to memorize the line you need the surgical counsole, so you had to make a song about it. So if if my question is not about memorizing things, it's more about like acting the feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, you know, let Leonard go first.
Speaker 1: When I strapped on the arm.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the thing. You you work hard.
Speaker 3: You work so hard to try to feel everything, and that's what comes with being an actor. You're gonna work hard hard and you've ever worked in your life to try to feel it. But when the camera rolls and you don't feel it, you better act the shit out of it, you know what I mean, Because at the end of the day, it still has to be made. So you're gonna work your hard is to try and feel the emotion and find the emotion and pinpoint what it is that you're you know, you'll make notes and you'll do all of that stuff. But there comes a time when you're doing it where all of that preparation and stuff isn't helping, you know what I mean, And so when it's not helping, it's time for you to act the shit out of it.
Speaker 2: And that's just how it goes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I would say there's times when it's really just natural and then there's times where it feels forced and you don't feel present. You can see the cameraman and you can see the crew, and your stomach's growling because you're hungry, and you know, you had an argument with someone in your family, and all these things that happen in any job, and you and you're in your head and you're distracted, and the trick with acting is to always be as present as possible. The good news about acting on film and tell vision is you really only need to do it in spurts because you're you're you're trying to shine for your other actor, but also when the camera's on you, when it's on when you're no matter what the shot is. When you're doing a play, you have to maintain that for for two hours and and scene real. But with with film and TV acting, the real challenge is to get it in spurts enough so that it will cut together and be believable. But but yeah, it can be really it can be really challenging, especially when you're there's so much distraction. You know, there's phones ringing, and there's a helicopter overhead, and and you're upset about something in your private life. You know, it's it's it's a real challenge to do everything you can to be present in the moment.
Speaker 2: And when you can't be present, that's what that's what acting is.
Speaker 1: Then you fake it till you make it, fake it till you make it. Now, Randall, when you were playing Leonard, did you did? You didn't? Didn't Leonard have a love interest? By the way, Oh, yes, I had to miss it was a scene.
Speaker 4: Yes she was.
Speaker 1: Uh And wasn't she a fellow security guarden?
Speaker 4: No, no, she was. Maybe she was a candy striper or something. I just.
Speaker 1: Oh, Robbie, no, she was an old Yes, that was I had to open mouth kissing her.
Speaker 4: That was specifically requested.
Speaker 1: By her? Was it in the script um?
Speaker 4: That parts a little foggy, But you know, I think.
Speaker 1: Robbie's question, how did you maintain being president in the moment when you were kissing the senior citizen?
Speaker 4: You know what, Robbie, I should have been listening, and I've been listening to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were listening to her mouth. Okay, ladies, good question, Yes, go ahead with another one. Donald left he was so offended by that question he left.
Speaker 11: Okay, So my question is we watched Scrubs a lot of time, and the first time we watched it we were just teenagers, and so we watched it in Italian. So I wondered, have you ever listened to yourself dubbed in other languages such as Alan or Spanish or Japanese. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate how they dubbed me in Spanish and Italian and stuff like that. I never have a deep voice.
Speaker 7: I'm always like, yeah, I prefer your voice.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny is that in most countries, when you become a known actor, they pick the same actor to always do you. So if Donald's in one, if he's in Scrubs and then he goes off to do another film that is not even to do with Scrubs, it's usually the same actor being Donald.
Speaker 2: And I hate that.
Speaker 3: I hate that that one person is like, oh, oh no, was he playing in this?
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry about it. I did him on Scrubs.
Speaker 1: I got this, So to Donald's to Donald's dismay, that voice will always be his voice.
Speaker 2: That pisses me off, man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have. I've heard myself in almost so many voices. Traveling around, especially when the show was on NonStop, we travel around the World and you turn on the TV and there you were speaking German. It was very funny. I remember, Uh, then there was a thing where we had Germans in the show Herman the German right with the with the balloon things, none of that. And then I remember in Germany they had to change where they were from because it made no sense that their language was different, like you know, so you know, like think about it. If the show has a character that's speaking of the language, and all of a sudden, the show's dubbed into that language, they then have to switch that person's language, so it doesn't what makes sense.
Speaker 4: I think we made them Belgium.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're right. N Randall, How do you feel as being dubbed as Death and Leonard.
Speaker 4: As long as my fan base all? Did you ever hear?
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard yourself dubbed in other languages?
Speaker 4: Randall? I have not.
Speaker 1: The good thing about dubbing Death is that you don't see his mouth moves, so it doesn't look bad exactly. I prefer subtitles, but they don't. They don't do that. A lot of countries just dub it.
Speaker 2: I don't prefer subtitles. I do not like subtitles.
Speaker 1: You know you'd rather be dubbed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a I'm a very poor reader. So having to read subtitles.
Speaker 1: Does your poor screen? Does your dyslexia. I've never asked you this before, but does that make you less likely to watch subtitled films?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, you know, a good movie is a good movie, no matter what, even with a learning disability, even if it is written on the screen. My dyslexia isn't so bad that I can't keep up right.
Speaker 1: I just never asked you. I wondered if you if you said, ah, fuck, it's be paying the asser for me to read these subtitles.
Speaker 3: Or no, I would though I would prefer not to read. I'd prefer to listen to a dubbed mix.
Speaker 1: Right, got it?
Speaker 2: Do you guys have another question?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: You're giving them three? It must because they're separated sisters.
Speaker 3: They're separated sisters. This is the first time they've talked to each other since March.
Speaker 1: Right, they're using us. They don't care about scrubs. They just want to, you know, get on our zoom and talk to each other.
Speaker 3: Like I did a show back in a day called Free to Be a Family, and we did a space bridge to Russia and this is like our space bridge between the UK and Italy.
Speaker 1: Was that like free to be? Was that like free to be you and me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was free to be you and me.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to see free to be you and me songs Monday.
Speaker 3: We're free to be I could say in a Russian glee wee wheat e e t t e glee we wheat nois sennoi.
Speaker 2: Right, wow, We're free to be you and me, You and me, We're free to be a family.
Speaker 1: I only know a little Russian from the Billy Joel Coleopt album when he played and he said Milly Joe and the crowd went crazy.
Speaker 3: I know that because I got to wrap We're free to be You and me with the Fat Boys. There a lot of people don't remember the Fat Boys, but one of them was an amazing beat boxer and he beat boxed while I rapped.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So if you guys have enough, did you.
Speaker 4: Ever answer any any any calls on the scrubs phone that were from out of the country.
Speaker 2: No, I never answered any.
Speaker 1: When we did this episode with Call Turk and we had cal Turk, we had to get a real phone line, and Bill thought it would be I don't know if it was you or Bill Randall, but said, you know, rather than do a five five five number, let's get a real number and have it all ring on a cell phone. And so the cell phone was in the Scrubs production office and it would just ring all the time, and when you were randomly just walking through and you had a minute to kill, you just answer it and talk to fans because it would just ring NonStop.
Speaker 4: Done stop for like five years. And we kept the map and we put pins in it, you know, every time we would get calls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was cool. It's all over the world, All right, ladies, one last question, go ahead.
Speaker 12: That's the thing I started to reach. Watched the show as well during this quarantine because my boyfriend was with me and he never watched Scrubs before, so I wanted to rewatch it with him, and we watched it.
Speaker 11: On Amazon Prime.
Speaker 12: And I noticed the thing that you mentioned sometimes in the podcast that they changed a few songs, especially one it really pissed me off they changed it. It was the one in the second season when j D and Elliott kiss again and they start again and it's dreaming of you of the choral and I was so waiting for that scene and when it arrived, the song was a different one.
Speaker 11: So I was so pissed off.
Speaker 1: And we are too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I it's wondering whether you have some one song or two that you really really like and you're attached to it, you know, in one sea of Scrubs, and you would really be angry if someone changed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, anytime Josh Rayden did music on the show, if that got taken off of the show, I would be very upset. One because Josh is a very close body of mine. And two his songs it seems like were made for the episodes.
Speaker 2: Of Scrubs, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know if Zach and Josh had a thing where Zach would be like, yo, I need you to write a song about this, and he'd be like, I got it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But I mean the example that comes to mind the same thing with me is Robbie is Josh's song. Because you know we've told this on the podcast before, but when he wrote that song Winter that played at Benefaier's characters funeral, it was the first song you'd ever written. But he didn't have. Everyone was like, oh my god, this is amazing. Where's your album? He's like, album, it's the only time ever written. So that one was particularly special to all of us because Josh was our friend. He started playing guitar late in life. He wasn't someone who played as a kid, and all of a sudden, you know, with the thanks to Bill putting him in the show, his career blew up and he traveled, you know, when the world is not under lockdown. He travels all around the world, and you guy should see him when he comes to Italy because you'll you'll recognize a lot of his music that was in scrubs. Another person I want to just mention was Colin Hay who was really special for the show.
Speaker 4: And we're trying.
Speaker 1: To get brandall. I need your help. By the way, the fans are all listening. Yes, I need to get Colin's information because we'd like to have him on for the episode he was on in season two.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get you. Whatever I had is my last contact. But Colin was a real friend of the show and fun and funny and had a good sense of humor about himself. There was a song I think it's in this season, the Christmas episode in Donald you are running and we play center Man. Yeah, that song fel was super powerful in the episode. And and we were all disappointed when songs got changed out, particularly in those first couple of seasons, because we were sort of like the bastard step child over there and like always held to a very strict, low budget number. We licensed a lot of songs not for forever. You know, when you license a song may have something called in perpetuity and all of the media that is now known or yet to be figured out, and you can keep the song. And so there's one and two. The music wasn't licensed that way, so we had to make some of those decisions about which they kill.
Speaker 1: But I always assumed it was that I didn't know. What you're implying is that as the seasons go on, you then did shot started doing contracts that would cover streaming, but no one knew what streaming was at.
Speaker 13: The time, exactly exactly, So like the first couple of seasons, the first couple of seasons, if the licensing has run out and then and didn't renegotiate or sign on to continue the licensing, the network automatically just changed the song.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I actually had to sit with music editor of music Licensing for like, uh a week or so after the seasons were over in the summertime to figure out like what songs were. Oh.
Speaker 1: I always wondered who was who was putting these songs on We've we talked about that on the podcast that you don't listen to. But we always wondered, what what intern what intern somewhere is choosing these like second best songs.
Speaker 4: It's it was an exercise and killing babies like everything. It was great. But they're like, they're like, you absolutely cannot have all of this. You know, what do you want to say? Right?
Speaker 1: You're not gonna have center Man forever. All right, ladies, we have to move on because death has to take his kids swimming. And but thank you. I I'm sorry that you're I feel sad that your two sisters that are separated. That's horrible.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you want to say to each other?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is there anything want to say to each other while everyone's listening.
Speaker 2: It's a free call.
Speaker 11: Yes, we actually rehearsed it before.
Speaker 12: Can we take a picture with you?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let me just get fresh for you. Let me get fresh. Here we go.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, lady so much, thank you be saying so much. Safe nineteen oh nine, in the Bowling Alley, two people on the left side of the screen spike the lens looked directly into the camera. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, the Bowling Alley. Is that not the day when our prop man got stuck.
Speaker 2: Under Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: It does to retrieve the ball that it reached it. It was proper set.
Speaker 1: Patrick, my name Patrick Bolton.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't because it was somebody who we laughed at much longer before we helped him. It was Acu. The thing came down on him and we thought it was hilarious. It was like a cartoon. Just saw his legs kick it, and then suddenly somebody was like, oh my god, we should.
Speaker 2: Probably take get him out of there.
Speaker 3: I remember he wasn't with us very much longer after that, either that.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: Soon after he hid rowdy in the ceiling.
Speaker 4: He went to that guy. No, that guy went to uh, Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So anyway, two people at the bowling eye, look right in the lens. If you're interested in your in your new hobby of finding people who spiked the lens. Donald you say, my baby knows how to knock him down. That was funny.
Speaker 2: My baby does know not. That was a lot of fun I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Okay, like most episodes we've watched so far, when watching this, I didn't remember any of it. And I thought that was the cutest thing. I thought Turk and Carla was so cute and so on point for the joke when JD's like, you know, couples go through this, this is what happens. Name show me a happy couple. And then right away you see Turk and Carla enjoying themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that was wonderful, and they're so sweet together. I mean you just you just love them. And then especially of course when you cut to the documentary footage thing and they're you know, and they're being so adorable and and and both saying how much they love each other.
Speaker 3: No, and you're rooting for them yeah, yeah, yeah, and not necessarily for Elliott and j D in this episode, even though it starts offtware, you're rooting for them.
Speaker 2: You can tell.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Once it gets to the bad times, you're like, wow, these guys really aren't good for each other.
Speaker 1: Went sour so quick though.
Speaker 2: Very well, you only have a half an hour to tell the story.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying like in the world of the show, they dated for like in two weeks and then they were like, this isn't working.
Speaker 4: But I think that was a pit sision by Bill because he wanted you know, he didn't want to have that protracted will they yeah, they will, They want the friends thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Then he ended up doing it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, but that's the works well even at the end, right, but even at the end of the episode, you say, you know that that there do I think it'll work?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: And JD's right. JD's right, it does work. It just doesn't work at that moment in time. In the long run, in the in the grand scheme of things, these two are meant to be together.
Speaker 1: So sad though I was, I was sad watching it that the two people who love each other who can't. I'm just a sucker for unrequited love and and love that cannot be. And here's two people that we want to be together but they can't.
Speaker 3: But that's when Harry met Sally, Like you said, that's it that's when Harry met Sally all over again, you know what I mean, Like, that's such one of my favorite that's first of all, one of my favorite movies Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.
Speaker 2: But that story is great.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of Fiona apple Lyric when she says, only kisses on the cheek from now on, and.
Speaker 14: Only they have wave, no, no, all right, if I need you, I'll just use your simple name.
Speaker 1: Keep going. Finish it.
Speaker 2: Only kisses on the cheek from now on, and in a little while, we'll only have to wave.
Speaker 1: That's so fucked up. They only have to wave. Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Hey? I remember breaking up with someone and then going to give them a kiss and they gave me the cheek and being like, yeah, that's probably where what I should.
Speaker 2: We should probably gets.
Speaker 3: On the cheek from one one oh yeah, and now I just wave.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want to say is that when I liked how Judy a her delivery and also the writing when she she ends the documentary section and she says he seems to like who I am and I just thought that was so sweet, Like, you know, all bullshit aside, It seems like he genuinely likes who I genuinely am, and I just thought that was really pretty. Yeah, man, Randall, you've been a phenomenal guest.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're one step away from getting in your car with you, so we want to let you go.
Speaker 2: We should you just promise us you'll come back?
Speaker 1: And do you come back? Randall? I feel like you're gonna be a fan favorite because delight here is Randall.
Speaker 4: Randall.
Speaker 1: Do you use a washcloth in the shower?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, Randall's black dude.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to tell you this. I'm trying to tell you this. All black people use wash cloths.
Speaker 1: We have right, Randall, We love you. You can count us into our theme song. Thank you everybody for listening to Fake Doctor's Real Friends. Randall count us in three two one. Now he doesn't listen to the doesn't listen to the podcast. He's just been out. He's just been outed, you guys.
Speaker 3: Doesn't listen to the podcast five six, seven eight Stori.
Speaker 5: Show we made about a bunch of talks and nurses in Canada love.
Speaker 6: I said, here's a stormy next all should no.
Speaker 1: So gatherer around you here?
Speaker 2: Up gather around you here up expect me. My show is a