Speaker 1: But Robert Brooks was beaten to death while handcuffed.
Speaker 2: He wasn't just killed, he was tortured on camera.
Speaker 3: It was caught on video. Where are the arrest I want names, I want faces that the Governor.
Speaker 2: Of New York is gonna come out and.
Speaker 3: Says thirteen correctional officers.
Speaker 2: I want to know all thirteen.
Speaker 1: I want their names, I want their face this, I want them on camera, every one of them, every.
Speaker 2: One of them. Welcome back to the stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith Show right here with the digital It was a YouTube and of course iHeartRadio. That was me speaking on December thirty first, upon learning about the story that I'm about to reiterate to you right now because in the latest on this story we discussed on this show when it happened in December. Murder charges have been announced in the death of Robert Brooks, a forty three year old inmate who was beaten by guards at a prison in upstate New York. Governor Kathy Hockel announced the chargers Thursday, and a statement Hoko said, quote, Robert Brooks should be alive today. The brutal attack on mister Brooks was sickening, and I immediately moved to terminate the employment of those involved end quote. In a grand jury indictment, six correctional officers were charged with second degree murder and first degree manslaughter. Two of them were also charged with gang assault. The sixth charged with second degree murder on Nicholas and Zelone, David Kingsley, Anthony Anthony Farina, Christopher Warreth, Matthew Gallaher and an unnamed person.
Speaker 2: You see their faces right there. Take a little let's pause for a second.
Speaker 3: Let's look at their faces right now, Hey, one of them.
Speaker 2: I don't like the fact that they turned sideways.
Speaker 1: Personally, I want to see them front I want to see the frontal view like ANGELOONI.
Speaker 2: I want to see the rest of.
Speaker 3: Them are Why it is Kingsley, Farina, Warreth and Galaher sideway?
Speaker 2: That's what I want to know, But I digress.
Speaker 1: Seventeen employees, including four sergeants and two nurses, were alleged to be involved in the.
Speaker 2: Death, and was suspended as a result of the incident.
Speaker 1: Four others were charged in the grand jury indictment and connection with the case on varying charges including manslaughter and evidence tampering the BODYCM footage from December ninth shows Brooks with his hands cuffed behind his back at the Marsie Correctional Facility as multiple.
Speaker 2: Guards punched and kicked them.
Speaker 1: Brooks was on an infirmary bed when the attack occurred, and at one point in the video his face was visibly bloodied. He was taken to the hospital and died the following day. An autopsy report that cleared brooks manner of death was homicide, according to his family's attorney. And attorney Elizabeth Masour told NBC News that Brooks died due to compression of and multiple blunt force injuries. Second degree murder aggravated. The sult stuff like that. Why isn't the first degree murder?
Speaker 2: I want to know.
Speaker 1: I guess when you look at the charges, I mean, they could all be looking at twenty five years in prison or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean. A man is dead, I wouldn't be mad.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be mad if they got the death penalty. And I don't know how. I'm amazed how how folks completely not guilty. You caught him video. The man is covered with his hands behind his back on an infirmary bed and you're beating him to a pulp and you're saying you're not guilty.
Speaker 2: How how.
Speaker 1: You know this is not police officers, it's correctional officers. But law enforcement is law enforcement. Right, unarmed black man is an unarmed black man?
Speaker 2: Right? Was he armed?
Speaker 1: Was in his hands, cuffored behind his back, and you literally beat him to death.
Speaker 2: Obviously, there was a whole bunch of people complicit.
Speaker 1: First we heard thirteen, now we hear about six being indicted, and then the next thing, you know, seventeen other folks. I mean, damn, it was a coordinated attack evidently, So these bastards should be under the jail. There's no way that they should get off.
Speaker 2: No way in hell they took him out.
Speaker 1: Take them out, at least take them off the streets for the rest of their natural lives.
Speaker 2: They committed murder. What's you gonna say. I only punched them twice. The other person punched them five times.
Speaker 3: Anybody that was involved needs to go down. Anybody that was involved now put their hands, their feet, a club or whatever it is on that man.
Speaker 2: They need to go down, all.
Speaker 4: Of them, all of them.
Speaker 1: You know, when you see stuff like that, because we saw the video, just take a moment to ask yourself where if that had been you. Do you understand when your hands are cuffed behind your back, you don't even have the ability to cover yourself and shield yourself from the punishment being inflicted upon you. You don't even get to curl up in a ball and cover yourself for protective measures.
Speaker 2: You don't even get to do that. Do you realize
Speaker 1: That that's what they did to that man, That's what they did to that man, similar to the kind of things that used to be done to us, which had black folks resembling activists all over this nation.