Speaker 1: Bud Light recently came under fire for partnering with transgender influencer Dylan mulvaney. The company lost billions in backlash with you know, even country stars speaking out, people like Travis Tritt, Kid Rock Bradley Gilbert did a concert recently where he took bud Light to task. But you might ask yourself, why would bud Light do this? Does anyone honestly believe that Dylan Mulvaney, this transgender influencer, sits around and drinks bud Light? Does anyone honestly believe that bud Light's customer base likes someone like Dylan mulvaney. How does this happen where a company like bud Light would choose someone to partner with, which is essentially giving their customer base the middle finger. Well, talk to Will hild who's the executive director of Consumers Research. He deals with this stuff on a daily basis. Consumers Research also launched something called Woke Alert where people can sign up and find out which companies are engaging and this kind of woke left wing nonsense. I've also previously launched television ads taking companies like American Airlines in Coca Cola to task for their policies and going woke. But we're going to talk to him about this bud Light controversy. Also, when did companies start getting so woke and why do they continue to ignore us as a customer based conservatives? Stay tuned for Will hild Well, thanks so much for coming on the show. It's the first time. This is an important topic. Obviously, Anheuser Busch has come under fire for partnering with a transgender influencer, Dylan mulvany. The company's lost billions of dollars in the backlash. Why do you think this one was different in terms of the company taking a financial hit when when sometimes that doesn't always happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there are a couple of factors that played a key role. One, I think the egregiousness of what they were doing. I mean, it's in soulid If you just even watched the video of what Mulvainy did, it was insulting to bud Light customers. Most people don't want to be portrayed as bud Light drinkers, you know, pretending to be a woman, sending in a bathtub, pretending to be a woman like that. From the average Bludlight customer. It's like the opposite of how they think of themselves as some weirdo in a bathtub pretending to be a woman. And so I think that that played a huge role, just the egregiousness, how in your face it was what they were trying to do. The second thing is that it's a it's a very much a retail product, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is.
Speaker 2: Something that people go and they buy at gas stations and grocery stores day to day. So it's very easy and very quick they can make a purchasing decision. It's not a little bit different than you know, you know, stopping flying an airline or something. You make those kind of plans, you know, weeks or months out. So I think that that played a role. And then sometimes there's just a magic ingredient of why things go viral.
Speaker 3: And you know, once the ball.
Speaker 2: Gets rolling, it that it becomes a snowball, and I think that that, you know, turns into an avalanche. I think that played a role here too.
Speaker 1: I Mean I think a lot of people are wondering, you know, how would a company like bud Light come to this conclusion of yes, let's partner with Dylan mulvany and put our you know, finger in the eye of every know of our customer base, right, like basically just giving a middle finger to the customer base. So clearly they had to have known that. So like, how would that be approved? You know, how did this even happen? It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: It's a great question, and I think you know, the average person has been scratching their head increasingly over the last decade is more and more companies have taken positions and done things like this, where you're going, are you just going out of your way to insult your customer base? I think what you really have to do to understand this is to look at the ecosystem of a corporation and the ecosystem that they they're within. By that, I mean, the corporation doesn't make decisions right. People within the company make these decisions, and increasingly there are different portions of these companies that have different interests. By that, I mean, for example, a lot of companies have adopted what they call a DEDI department, a diversity, equity and inclusion department. And you know, this was kind of build is like the next evolution in human resources and just you know, supposed to be more conscientious of racial disparities. What it is, in effect, and I mean this both in the pejorative in the technical sense, is a cancer on the corporation. These departments exist solely to soak up as much resources and control over the company as they can.
Speaker 3: They don't care about the company's customers.
Speaker 2: In fact, they often resent and dislike them, and they see their purpose as utilizing their position within the company to push an ideology inside and out of the company.
Speaker 3: And so that's part of it.
Speaker 2: And nothing's been confirmed, but there are rumors swirling on Twitter that this had been approved inside. Sources had said that this was approved by a lower level marketing employee who didn't get top level provement. Whether that's true or not, I think the entire incident speaks to the powers that some of these DEI and woke portions of the corporations have gotten. They're aided by another portion of that system, and that is a lot of times coming from above. These large asset managers like black Rock, State Street, Vanguard, they have been using their assets under management, meaning the shares they own on behalf of their clients, to push wokeness in a lot of these companies. So even though it's not their money. You know, Blackrock has about ten trillion dollars under management, but none of it technically belongs to them. It's there, it's in their custody as a fiduciary, but they use it to pursue political objectives.
Speaker 3: And they go to these companies and they.
Speaker 2: Push you know, uh, racial quotas, far left social issues, the LGBQQ stuff, pro abortion stuff, and they are effectively the owners of those shares until their customers retrieve them from the company stuff you know, fire black Rock or State Street, Vanguard, and so for right now, you know, they they control large portions of these companies, and so you see that being pushed on them from above, addition to these d I departments pushing it from within.
Speaker 1: But it does seem to be more interface. Now when we saw this with Disney as well, you know, again a company pushing values that are the antithesis of their customer base, you know, with them trying to push the LGBTQ agenda. So when did it become so interface? And I guess when did this all start happening?
Speaker 2: Well, as there was an increasing push to enlarge these d I departments, They became larger and larger portions of the corporation and a lot of decision making now runs through those portions of the company, which is surprising because they don't generate.
Speaker 3: Any revenue for the company.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like it's not like the d I department increases sales or creates new products. But there was this huge push up over the last you know, five to seven years to really start having all decision making at the company run through these departments. So whether it's hiring and trying to increase you know, minority representation at the companies, or making sure that their marketing was in align with whatever the social trend of you know, political issue of the day is.
Speaker 3: You know, they've they've gotten a lot of.
Speaker 2: Power over the last ten years that they didn't have, and so you're seeing them flex it more and more, even though you would think is you know, instance after instance of it backfiring on the companies, But it takes a long time once these kind of people are entrenched. We've seen this in academia as well, right, how many universities have had disgraceful incidences because of these same types of individuals. But it takes a long time to get Once they're entrenched, it takes a long time to get them out.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and it obviously seems like they're not concerned about, you know, diversity, They're they're more concerned about pushing an ideology.
Speaker 4: What a conservatives do about it?
Speaker 1: I mean, part of the challenge too is even if you look at the response to bud Light and this campaign that they did with Dylan mulvaney, you know, there's a split among Republicans as well. You know, some Republicans said, hey, they give us money, leave them alone, and then others said, oh, let's put the screws to them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So, I guess, how do we fight back when it seems like not everyone has the stomach for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, and you're right. I think it kind of shows that there's even division within the Conservatives on how to push back. I would argue I'm in the put the screws to them camp, and not just purely out of spite, but there needs to be measurable changes.
Speaker 3: Made at the company that are articulable.
Speaker 2: Right, tell me, CEO of Van Howerer Busch, how have you made sure that this will never happen again. If you read his apology letter, but it was completely milk toast. It wasn't even really an apology. It just kind of was like, I'm sorry that this caused such a such a kerfuffle. That's not going to you know, I want to know. You know, we've we've revamped our marketing department, We've gotten rid of our DEI department. So and so has been fired. Those are the kinds of things that the left has. That's how the left got to where they're at in terms of the power that they have within corporate America. They asked for definable changes in either power structure, or staffing or policy. And that's basically the right should not be satiated until we see, you know, articulable moves to our side on these things. The other thing we can do is start, and we're working on this at Consumers Research. We're pushing this in about twenty to twenty five states, is start taking away those big cools of capital, namely the state pension funds from these big asset managers. So you know, companies like black Rock again and State Tree and Vanguard, they should not be managing red state pension funds.
Speaker 3: They have policies on the books to push all.
Speaker 2: This progressive left policies with their entire asset portfolio. So states like South Carolina and Florida that have money with these companies, those assets are being used to push these progressive left positions. And so we need to start working those and move those two asset managers that that will respect their fiduciary duty to these states and stop, you know, using them to simply push Democratic Party platform agenda items.
Speaker 1: The only place I would disagree with you is I would also want to do it out of spite, So that would be the.
Speaker 4: I would be pro spite.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a nice fringe benefit.
Speaker 4: I would be pro spite.
Speaker 1: I often say the only reason I wouldn't drive an electric vehicle is just because people are trying to push me to do it. So but you know, so you talked about the state pension funds, so that would obviously take you know, the governor, and take the state being interested in doing that as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, And you've seen a ton of states start to take action on that.
Speaker 3: Florida in particular, has moved West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Texas has passed a law that says if you have as a company policy you're going to try and discriminate against the particular industry, in their case, fossil fuels. With all these net zero targets, then the state is no longer going to do business with you. You're not going to do our bond issuances, you're not going to manage our state's pension funds. You know, your persona on Granta to us as a vendor. And you're seeing that start to spread throughout. Like I said, there's about twenty to twenty five states this legislative session this year that are considering similar legislation on that issue. And that's what it's going to take to turn the market, because other states like California and Illinois and New York and New Jersey for years started saying that if you wanted to if you wanted to be a customer of CalPERS, for example, the California pension system, then you had to agree to use all of your assets under management to push net zero. So they basically allow to hijacked all of the Red state pension funds by doing that, because the Red state pension funds didn't subject until now, so putting it into that bifurcating the market, saying you can't serve two masters. You can't you can't use our money to do California's bidding and New York's bidding. That's gonna that's going to hugely dampen the ability of Black Rock.
Speaker 3: And other big asset managers to push push this kind of nonsense.
Speaker 1: I do think I don't think people always realized how smart Governor DeSantis is here I live in Florida, in the way that he uses government to fight back and against you know, some of these you know, the woe right and trying to defeat them. But it does seem like more and more Republicans are finally coming to the conclusion that, you know, playing nice like we used to is not going to get the job done when the Left is capturing every institution in America.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely true, and as a fellow Floridian Sarasotan myself, I couldn't agree more. I think what Governor DeSantis has done has been fantastic and it should be a model for all other Republican governors who care about defending freedom and liberty in the country. One of the pushbacks we sometimes get in our efforts is that this is somehow anti free market. You know, you've got the government coming in and saying, you know what companies can and cannot do, or they'll stop doing business with them. But that's already what's happening. California and New York and New Jersey are telling the market, the asset managers that if they want to do business, if they want to get these huge amount of billions of dollars that their pension funds have, that they have to sell out the interests of these other states. There's only one way to solve that. If you had a lawyer that was giving away, you know, private information of yours to another client of theirs in return for money, you would fire that lawyer. Well, that's what's happening. These big asset managers and big banks are selling out the interests of red states on behalf of their blue state paymasters. And so there's only one way to solve that.
Speaker 3: You have to fire them.
Speaker 1: I see, I look at it as survival. You know, what hope do we have if we have no power, you know, moving forward? So you know, I think the battle lines look different than they used to when you know we've got you know, every institution working against us and trying to punish us just for simply being conservatives. Quick commercial break more with will Hild. What else would you like to see from governors or see from Republicans to try to push back on some of this nonsense, Like, what else could they be doing effectively?
Speaker 2: Well, I think they basically need to look at enforcing a lot of existing law around fiduciary duty. The other thing that I think really raised question this is an anti trust violation. Many of these asset managers are members of groups like something called Climate Action one hundred and another one called the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero. I know that's a mouthful. Sometimes it's usually just referred to as g fans. But in order to join these organizations, what you promised to do is to pursue net zero targets coordinating with all the other members in this organization.
Speaker 3: Well, what effectively that means?
Speaker 2: That's like if you got together all the owners of all the oil companies in the world and said, hey, we're all going to agree we're going to decrease production by ten fifteen percent. Well, if you put it that way, everyone would recognize that's obviously an anti trust conspiracy.
Speaker 3: That's textbook. They've effectively done that. They just call it net zero, but it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: And I think increasingly states looking at that looking at that avenue. The Sherman Anti Trust Acts allows states the right to the right of action against these companies, and I think if you start seeing a bunch of lawsuits against Black Rock in State Street and Vanguard and even the big banks that have also signed onto this stuff, like City and Vathan Morgan, Chase and Boa and Wells Cargo, I think it will it will end very quickly. The good news for us is on this front is a lot of this will capitalism stuff is.
Speaker 3: Pushed by conspiracies that are illegal.
Speaker 2: They're violations of you know, long existing fiduciary duties and long existing federal statutes against anti trust.
Speaker 3: But we haven't to.
Speaker 2: Your point, we haven't had the political will to simply enforce the law, and that has to change.
Speaker 1: I'm looking now and I think where is it. There are twenty two Republican trifectas in the country right now, seventeen Democrat trifectas, eleven divided governments, So there is absolutely no excuse for twenty two of those Republican States to be doing everything they can under their power to push back against the stuff and tomate companies, you know, punished companies that are pushing a woke agenda and pushing an agenda that's actually you know, hurting Americans as well with what we see with the you know, some of these environmental stuff that they're doing. You know, I don't you guys just launched recently, you know, woke Alerts. Talk a little bit about what that does in some of the specific things that you guys are doing at Consumers Research to push back against this stuff absolutely well.
Speaker 2: On in twenty twenty one, we want something called the Consumers First Initiative. It's an ongoing multimillion dollar ad campaign to name and shame companies that go woke in order to distract from their misdeeds in the market or their mistreatment of their customers. We spend millions and millions of dollars blasting the brands of companies like American Airlines, Nike, Coca Cola, Blackrock, obviously, ticket Master MLB and the next phase in that. One of the things that that when we launched, these people kept coming to us like where can I find out what companies are woken up?
Speaker 3: When when how can.
Speaker 2: I can you guys tell me, you know, who should I be shopping with? And so we came up with this idea of woke alerts, meaning it's a text message based system. You can sign up on our website at consumers Research dot org and we will text you when there is a a company that goes woke. Sometimes it's a big story like the bud Light. Sometimes it's a company that's flying under the radar. They're going woke and they hope no one finds out about it, and we're going to put it into that So it allows consumers who care about when corporations are undermining their their values to know.
Speaker 3: About it and to be able to do something about it.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, people who would like to sign up can visit our website at consumers Research dot org.
Speaker 1: And you've also previously launched ads against companies like Coca Cola, American Airlines. You know, talk a little bit about some of that work in terms of trying to you know, target them and ads on cable stations as well as local markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we've spent millions of dollars tarnishing these companies' brands, because what we realized was the companies that were the wokest and most likely to go woke, they often had some of the worst skeletons in their closet, and it became very clear that what they were really trying to do the real game here was they wanted to distract from those issues. They would cozy up to woke activists and woke politicians. They get really glowing coverage in the New York Times the Washington Post for signing onto a letter condemning Georgia election integrity legislation or Texas election integrity legislation or whatever the key issue was. But in reality they were some of the worst defenders. Like take Nike for example. Obviously they're famous for having Colin Kaepernick. You know, you know, call America white supremacist nation, and compare the NFL combined to the slave trade.
Speaker 3: Nike has had decades of issues with.
Speaker 2: Sweatshop labor, and right now they have a huge problem with slave labor in China being used to make their shoes. And that's according to Congressional Congressional report. In fact, at the same time that they were attacking the Georgia election integrity legislation. They were quietly lobbying against a federal law that would have barred products made using slave labor in China from entering US markets. They wanted an exception so that their shoes could continue to create the hypocrisy. I mean, I'm not one for pointing out hypocrisy because it doesn't really do much. These people are pretty pretty blatant sociopath But I do think the average consumer needs to understand that when they see a company go woke, what that usually means is they it's projection. They're doing something probably worse than what they're accusing the other side of and and we we were simply going to call that out.
Speaker 3: It's not going to work. Our idea is simply to you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's no reason to go woke now because if you're if you're trying to distract from those issues, We're going to put a spotlight on those issues. Coca Cola also had issues with the same thing, and American Airlines is one of the worst run airlines in America. The same you know, the same year that their CEO got a ten million plus pay package, they had to go to.
Speaker 3: Congress for a four point five billion dollar bailout.
Speaker 2: So and that's a that's a company that goes out and starts, you know, preaching to Texas about how their elections should we run. So you know, we're we're always out there. We're going to be continuing the You're going to see more and more campaigns come from us. And to any of anyone in the C suites listening, you're you're on notice. If you go woke, we will and can, can and will come for you.
Speaker 1: I also think it's you know, easier to target these companies like Nhuser, Bush or Disney where you know they need us more as a customer base. I don't know what Nike's breakdown looks like in terms of consumers.
Speaker 4: I did stop wearing Nikes.
Speaker 1: I will say that I worry datas now, although they probably are just as bad.
Speaker 4: Just the sad thing and a lot of this.
Speaker 1: But after the Kaepernicks, I said, all right, enough with this, is there anything else you'd like to leave us with before we go?
Speaker 2: I would just say that you know, ESG that's driving a lot of this and the and the woke capitalism stuff. This is something that your elected representatives can do a lot about.
Speaker 3: But it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not often the sexiest issue. It's not the easiest thing to talk about. I would just ask for people that are interested and listening. Call your elected representatives, no matter where you are in the country. Let them know, Let your governor know, let your attorney general know, Let your treasurer know. You care about these issues and you want to see them do something about it, and you support them doing something about it. That makes a huge difference. Never underestimate the importance of phone calls from to your elected representatives.
Speaker 3: They don't always get as.
Speaker 2: Much feedback as you think they might have, and just hearing from you that you care about this and you want them to end this wokeness in corporate America makes a huge difference.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I know they pay attention.
Speaker 1: You know. I used to be a staff assistant on Capitol Hill way way back in the day, and I know that, you know, the member I worked for would ask me, you know, where the calls lined up on certain issues sometimes, so they do pay attention. Also, the culture war stuff is more important than anything in my opinion, because if we cease to be a free country, nothing else matters, you know, So that's kind of you know the most important thing. Will Hild, Executive director of Consumers Research. I appreciate you taking the time to join us. And then where can people I know you had mentioned the website, just mentioned it one more time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's Consumers Research RG. And people can follow me on Twitter at at will Hild that's w I L L Hild cool.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks so much. I appreciate you taking time to join the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: So that was Will Hill that with Consumer's Research. Appreciate him taking the time to join the show. Appreciate you at home as always for listening every Monday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week. Want to thank John, Cassie and my producer for putting the show together. Leave us a review, give us a rating on Apple Podcasts. Until next time,