Speaker 1: Hey, top of the show. I feel like we should cover the teams we don't talk about as often.
Speaker 2: Who don't we talk about?
Speaker 1: I feel like we don't talk about the Cleveland Guardians enough. They're in the wild card race and Eric Kratz has a Chase DeLauder shirt.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like we talk about them a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. We talk about the Guardians a lot.
Speaker 1: Which team do you feel like we talk about the least? I have another question.
Speaker 2: I mean, probably the Rockies because they aren't relevant.
Speaker 1: What about of the teams that have any.
Speaker 2: Semblance of– Marlins, we don't talk about a ton. The Marlins, although we have a fish on first show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're going to talk about the Marlins later with Ken.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the Rockies would be the team we probably talk about the least.
Speaker 1: What about teams that are in contention?
Speaker 2: With what?
Speaker 1: Teams this year that are in contention. So get rid of like the 10 teams that are out of it. Of the 20 teams that have a semblance of a chance at a playoff spot, I don't think we talk about the Rangers a.
Speaker 2: Lot because– They don't have anyone that really says anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody talks there.
Speaker 2: Not nobody, but not many. Orioles, I guess we did talk. Rangers are– We've talked twins a lot.
Speaker 1: No, we talk twins a lot. All right, so let's get to the team we don't talk about the most, right? The team that we talk about the least is actually the way to say it. The Dodgers. Did you know that we have a Yamamoto shirt? FoulTerritoryShop.com. Just showing off all the cool shirts we're unveiling as we go here. There will be a shirt for every team pretty soon and eventually maybe even every player. If you have requests on players that you feel like you're interested in that you would actually buy, not just I'm throwing a random player out there, go for it. The top two sellers right now are? Any guesses?
Speaker 2: Murakami.
Speaker 1: Close, but no. Same team.
Speaker 2: Antonacci? Yes.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Is he popular?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone in the White Sox is popular right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because right now they're the two seed. By the way, have you thought about this? The White Sox, to get to the World Series, are going to have to play the winner of the Rangers in the sixth seed, whether that's the Guardians, Twins, Tigers, whoever the sixth seed is.
Speaker 1: Well, the AL West winner, you're saying.
Speaker 2: The AL West winner, right? I'm saying right now it would be the Rangers against the Guardians or Astros or Twins or Blue Jays, whoever that sixth seed is, okay?
Speaker 4: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: They would play the White Sox in a five-game series. The other side of the bracket, by the way, the Rays are going to get the Yankees, Red Sox. That doesn't seem right.
Speaker 1: Well, let me add to that. Tim Healy put this out yesterday, who covers the Red Sox, comes on the show often. He's like, do the Red Sox want their current wildcard seat? Or do they want the crappier wild card seed? I don't think they're going to be able to get it because they're too far off.
Speaker 2: The crappier wild card seed? I mean, they're going to play the Red Sox either way. Four or five. They'll be the four or five seed. No, no.
Speaker 1: I'm saying if the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: The Red Sox. Oh, they want to be the six seed? Yeah.
Speaker 1: As the six seed would play.
Speaker 2: They have a seven game lead. They're not blowing that.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. But he just threw it out there and just pulled people. And most people were like, I'd rather play. as the third wildcard this year because of the AL West.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then the White Sox, right, they have to play the winner of that. Let's say they get through that. Then they have to play the Rays, Yankees, or Red Sox who have just gone through one or two series of beating the crap out of each other. And the White Sox, they have a chance to go to the World Series.
Speaker 1: But this actually creates a lane.
Speaker 2: Think about that. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: This creates a lane, though, for the sub-500 team that could come out of the third wildcard.
Speaker 2: Or be the AL West winner. Right.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying they could beat the AL West winner. That's crappy wildcard team. Then they play the White Sox. No offense to the White Sox, but they aren't super battle-tested. That path could be intriguing for a sub-500 team to get far.
Speaker 2: For the Astros team that fires their GM. Who starts the first game?
Speaker 5: Who starts the first game is the question that will be asked for the White Sox when they make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Sean Burke. That's easy. He's the best pitcher. Sean Burke. There's not even a question. Okay. Who else do you think it would be? That's the answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm John Burke. And Castillo will slot in somewhere. Davis Martin, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Davis Martin's been up and down, but he's on the A's.
Speaker 1: And he's hurt. All right, enough White Sox talk. Let's get to the streaking Mariners. Is Cal Raleigh back?
Speaker 2: No. Wow. It's one game. It's one game. He had a great game. Three homer game. I mean, Scooter Jeanette hit four homers in a game. Was he a Hall of Fame player? No. I mean, it was a great game for Cal. Three hits, three homers. He's still hitting 160 with a low sixes OPS.
Speaker 1: You need to see a lot more.
Speaker 2: I need to see a lot more. He had, you know, 1,000 OPS almost last year. I think it was right at nine high nines. He also had 60 homers. He has 17. No, he's not back.
Speaker 1: Mariners have won one in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mariners are hot, baby.
Speaker 1: Phillies had won nine in a row, Crafts, but they lost this one. Zach Wheeler did not look good. He hasn't looked good lately. Gave up four dingers. I want to focus on the positive first. Do you feel as strongly as AJ does? Do you think there's a chance that Cal Raleigh suddenly finds it and helps ignite the Mariners' offense to even close to average league-wise and that gets them over the playoff hump and either in a wild card spot or the division?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't even know close to average league-wise, just Cal Raleigh-wide average. Like, if he gets his OPS up to 700 for the season, that would be a mega lift for this offense that has struggled, not last night, but for most of the season. So to get him to just his, closer to his career average, yeah, I think he can do that. I mean, he's... You're riding high after a three-home run game, but he also had a home run, I think, Friday night against the Cubs right-handed.
Speaker 2: I think you.
Speaker 5: Have to feel like it's going to turn. I've said this probably four or five times at least this season, and maybe this is the time.
Speaker 1: By the way, I didn't mean him becoming a league average hitter. I meant the Mariners becoming more of a league average offense because that's what's been dragging them down.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: They were hitting much more last year, led by Cal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cal was better. Naylor was better. Crawford was better. Julio was better. Everybody was better.
Speaker 1: Julio flipped it on us this year. He was better in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which normally is the complete opposite. He had a really good first two months.
Speaker 5: I think the Mariners aren't even where they are, which I think three games out is tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're not like.
Speaker 5: I guess they're kind of in striking distance. They got a decently easy schedule after they get through those next nine games. But without Dominic Canzone and Randy Rosarena, where is this team offensively?
Speaker 1: Great call.
Speaker 2: He's having a great year. Cole Young?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, you're right. Cole Young too. What about Cole Young?
Speaker 1: On the season?
Speaker 2: Yeah. For a rookie, I think he's... No, you're right.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for a rookie.
Speaker 2: When you talk to Mariners people, they say Young has been really huge for them. That's fair. Canzone, Young, and Rosarito.
Speaker 1: Not just the bat. Like, everything. All-around player.
Speaker 2: But the bat, too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's gotten a ton of big hits for them.
Speaker 1: Right. 703 OPS, 102 OPS +, four-win player.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's good. You'll take that first year.
Speaker 2: They got to get in. They got to get in the playoffs. Like..
Speaker 5: And so are you saying, you asked, are they a league average hitting team? I don't believe so. What has shown you in the last two years that they will become a league average hitting team? One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydration. I need to make sure it's convenient. That's why I choose Quince.
Speaker 1: Yep, Quince electrolyte stick packs to the rescue, Kratts. They taste great, and the zero sugar options are stevia-free. They're keto-approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice. And like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At $ 20 for 30 servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quince.com slash fowl for free shipping on your order and 365-day returns today. That's Q-U-I-N-C-E dot com slash F-O-U-L for free shipping and 365-day returns. Quince.com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. You keep butchering the question I'm asking. You've done it twice now. The first time you were like, oh, I'm not talking about Cal being league average player. I wasn't saying that. I was saying, can Cal spark this offense to play out production-wise more like a league average offense? Because if it did that, I think that would have made all the difference. They've been performing as a bottom whatever, five offense in baseball.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: I'm saying over the next month and a half, can this offense at least recover a little bit to be more along the lines of league average, which is what Cal was talking about post-game. Hey, the whole wipe the rest out, it's an endurance battle, You just look at right now going forward over the next month. That's all I'm saying. No, crap. It's this year. It's not a league. average offense. It's been a poo-poo offense.
Speaker 2: Poo-poo. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, before the season started, most people were like, oh, they performed well last year, and now..
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: They performed well at the end.
Speaker 1: I think they performed... consistently much better than they usually do.
Speaker 2: Second half.
Speaker 1: Okay. But second half, they were great.
Speaker 2: They got Naylor. They got Suarez. Second half.
Speaker 1: So they bring Naylor back. You expect something.
Speaker 2: Not a great year. Nope.
Speaker 1: Not a great year.
Speaker 2: Suarez is not there.
Speaker 1: Young and Emerson. Young, good.
Speaker 2: Emerson's in AAA. Well, he was, and then he got hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually did have surgery. He's having surgery tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 1: On the wrist. But yes, he was playing hurt, whatever. And yeah, most of the guys took a step back.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, it's one game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's lots of guys that have great one games.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean, Domingo Armand threw a perfect game. Phil Humber threw a perfect game.
Speaker 1: Cal had never had a three-homer game. I figured maybe last year he had one. Nope.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of two-homer games last year.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 5: He said at no level did he ever do it.
Speaker 1: Wow. No Little League three-homer games?
Speaker 2: His interview. I never had a three-homer game. You haven't?
Speaker 1: High school, none of that? Nope. Two homer games?
Speaker 2: Two homer games, yeah.
Speaker 1: In, yeah.
Speaker 2: Big leagues, minor leagues, yeah. All that. But never three.
Speaker 1: Okay. By the third, they're watching you a little closer in that game. Like, if you have two early, they're like, me. I'm going to be careful with this Brzezinski guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's feeling it today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you see anything from a player in one game? Like, Oh, I like that swing. I like the, you know, one of the pitches on a high heat or whatever.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the matchup just works.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also Zach Wheeler has been bad the last.
Speaker 2: Like four starts. He's had over a four, three or four starts.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have the same stuff right now. I don't know if he's just going through a rut or what. He was so good right away.
Speaker 2: It's such an up and down season. Every, even the best starting pitchers have a few clunk. Christopher Sanchez, who we're showing right there, leads the league in, He had that one start a couple weeks ago where he gave up like seven in two innings or something. I mean, everyone has ups and downs in the season. Chase Burns got whacked around last night, right? I mean, it happens. It's hard to go out and every start be perfect. And, I mean, the Miz has been the one guy– I mean, his bad start is like three runs. Schlittler gave up a bunch a couple times out, right? But his ERA is still down because they bounced back from it. I mean, I expect Zach Wheeler will figure it out.
Speaker 1: Did you see Cal jump and hit his head in the dugout?
Speaker 2: I did not. What do you think he was playing at Old Tiger Stadium?
Speaker 1: How tall was that dugout at Old Tiger Stadium?
Speaker 2: Ken probably could have stood up in it. Oh, man.
Speaker 1: Ken's listening right now, too, because he's about to join us. Here it is. See?
Speaker 2: He has his helmet on. That's smart. Yeah. Safe hit.
Speaker 1: For those listening. Cal and Logan Gilbert did a little jump celebration in the dugout, Cal.
Speaker 5: Progressive Field has heaters on the ceiling of their dugout. That will catch a bald man's head.
Speaker 2: I don't know if AJ ever hit his head on those heaters. No, I wasn't jumping. You don't have to jump. You just walk. You just walk and hit it.
Speaker 1: Someone was like, hey, AJ, let's have our celebration, but you and me jump in the dugout. You'd be like, no.
Speaker 2: Not happening.
Speaker 1: Not your style. Hey. uh refuse to lose territory while you make your last comment here just want to show everyone we have a mariner show what's.
Speaker 2: Up no i mean some of these dugouts are can be a little dangerous um but nothing will ever top old detroit at nothing you could literally ken might be the only person i know that can stand up fully in.
Speaker 1: It give me a real measurement is it six feet.
Speaker 2: No chance it's not six it was not it's not there anymore but it was not six feet.
Speaker 1: Because you know how low like six feet you're hitting your head above six feet. Even if you're six feet tall, basically when you're, if you.
Speaker 2: Move up and drop, if you talk to me, I went to Scotland and we went in the RNA, which is where St. Andrews is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: RNA is Royal and ancient and their clubhouse. They just redid it. And the ceilings were six foot five. So I was walking and ducking and we were with the guy who was six, five. So he was just skimming the top of his head. This was at least a foot shorter.
Speaker 5: Did you get to the, did you get to the clubhouse from the dugout?
Speaker 2: I've never been to. So you had to get in there. You got to the clubhouse from the road. The road, there was a door. You literally walked in this door from the road. I mean, right into the clubhouse. I'm sure Ken will tell us when he comes on. You got off the bus, right off the street, right in this door to the clubhouse, which was from me to you from the people. It was just a door. And the clubhouse was about the size of this area we're in right now. And then you walk down this hallway and there was a urinal on the left. And then you went out to the dugout and the dugout was literally like this high. And the best thing about old Tiger Stadium was on the urinal above it, it said some of the best players in the history of the game have pissed here. Play like one today.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: That was cool. And then the bullpens were the pillboxes. So you literally sat in the dugout and there was like this much, or in the bullpen, and there was this much. You sat and you looked and watched the game.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Like the World War II pillboxes?
Speaker 1: Yeah. The clubhouse was smaller than Wrigley's.
Speaker 2: Old visiting clubhouse. This is back when they gave you a pizza after the game for spreads. It was awesome. It was awesome to check it. Old Milwaukee might have been worse, but at least you could stand up in the dugouts there.
Speaker 1: The Rays won on Monday night. 4-1 your final score, final line for Frambois Valdez. Six innings, four runs, three earned, two walks, no Ks. Okay. Did you see the swing and miss situation? No whiffs on 41 swings? Frambois Valdez can get some whiffs.
Speaker 2: Did they have something on? What they did great was they laid off his curveball.
Speaker 1: Most swings against the Tigers pitcher. Forget that part. We'll go to the bottom here from Jason Beck. Last MLB pitcher with 41-plus swings without a whiff. Genesis Cabrera in 2019-44. This does not happen in today's game.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And you would think it would be from someone else. I know Frambois gets a lot of ground ball contact, but he also gets whiffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but usually on his curveball, and they were laying off the curveball last night, especially in that first inning. I watched the first inning of this game, and it was like curveball, curveball, and they fouled off, fouled off, fouled off, took it, fouled off, took it, took it. He hasn't been great this year. Let's just say that.
Speaker 5: He is an interesting case of he's been his whole career.
Speaker 2: He's got no hitter.
Speaker 5: He's got, you know, he'll have ridiculous outings and then he'll have a clunker where it's like, you know, why is his stuff? Why is this stuff not play in certain outings? I feel like it's been a little bit more this year, but. I think that and throwing at his own catcher probably kept him out on the market a little bit longer than you would have thought maybe two years ago that Framber.
Speaker 2: Would have been once he got to free agency.
Speaker 1: Still ultimately got paid. And also, the one thing he always does is rack innings.
Speaker 2: Is what?
Speaker 1: Rack up innings.
Speaker 2: Oh, he just takes the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. Bella.
Speaker 2: Bella, Bella, where? I don't know where Bella is, but I know how to take care of my pup.
Speaker 1: Kratz, while you find Bella, today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pet's particular quirks. Because let's be honest, vet bills can add up fast. And when it's time to submit a claim... It's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible vet bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, your pet. To explore coverage, visit aspcapetinsurance.com. That's aspcapetinsurance.com. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Ltd. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance. Good trivia question here. Three runs, three earned runs or fewer in 26 of 28 starts for Cade Cavaglia. It's the most in Major League Baseball. Schlittler and Mizorowski have 24. He's got 26.
Speaker 2: He's been good, man.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: He's been so good in my over still hit because, but I tell you, the Nationals score a ton of runs.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: They score so many runs, and guess what my bet will be?
Speaker 6: Not always.
Speaker 2: A little sneak peek into my bet lane.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And their bullpen gives up a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Their bullpen gives up. That's what I said. Cavalli could go eight no-hit innings, and they could give up nine in the night.
Speaker 1: It took him a while to really get it all together. Not this year. Between the injuries and the– no, no, no. I'm saying in his career.
Speaker 2: You know why? Because he came on with us in spring training, and he had that cool mustache.
Speaker 1: That was the difference maker. 22nd overall pick in 2020, the weird COVID draft. Remember that? There were a number of college starters I remember taking back then. Asa Lacy, who didn't pan out.
Speaker 2: Oh, Asa Lacy. Remember him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. But it was that same mix. There was probably seven or eight guys that were really good in college. I mean, obviously there's. good starters every year, but I just remember that mix, and it was weird because you didn't have as many rounds to pick, which is Manfred's dream and all that. But Cade Cavalli has worked out at good timing for the Nats because they're trying to enter the next game.
Speaker 2: Well, they had him and Foster Griffin.
Speaker 1: Right. They traded Griffin. They're going to need to stack up some pitching this offseason. Yep.
Speaker 2: It's a bony time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's everyone's favorite. It's a segment we don't get to do as often, thanks to the challenge system. But Ump Show is back. What do you have for me on Ashton Braxton? Ashcraft.
Speaker 2: Ashton Braxcraft?
Speaker 1: Ashton Braxcraft. Braxton Ashcraft.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the Chris Sale. This is the Chris Sale.
Speaker 1: So can we figure this out?
Speaker 2: So he told the umpires that he was going to pitch out of the windup. And then he did it. And then the hitter went by. And then the second hitter, they called him for a balk. It's the same thing as Chris Sale. So can we just get some umpire, any umpire, come out and say, you have to declare before every hitter. If you just tell the players that, they'll do it. But you can't just not have everyone knowing and some umpires call it and some umpires don't call it. To me, that sounds like a good– Same exact umpire. Same umpire. It's Dan Marzell. Well, then maybe he's the only one that doesn't know this. So maybe somebody needs to get to old Dan. He's the only one that's called it. Maybe somebody needs to get to old Dan and tell him to stop. Because, Dan, you're kind of not good right now.
Speaker 5: But when we– I mean, when we talked about this with Sale, somebody in the chat I think said it is technically a rule. It's technically a rule that you have to declare for each batter. And I'll be honest, I've never seen it. And in the pitch clock era, it's not something that's in that timing of a pitcher, timing of a catcher to declare that. And Dan Marzell and his crew has gotten it. It's been Dan both times behind the dish calling it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so maybe it's his problem.
Speaker 1: That sounds like an ump issue.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a one-guy problem. It was like Bach and Bob Davidson forever. He was the guy. There are certain guys with umpires that just have certain things that you know they're going to call. Dan Merzell is the guy who's going to call you for a Bach. Every pitch, if I was the pitcher, I'd be like, wind up! Just make a mockery of it. Wind up!
Speaker 1: That's stupid. That's making it about him. Even if he's the one following the rules, well, then everybody else isn't following the rules. I think you need to all get together and decide.
Speaker 2: Can we just get a clarification from the league?
Speaker 1: But that's the league and the umps and all of that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. But can we not get the league to come together and say, hey, guys, this is stupid that they have to declare every– if they change, if they go from windup to the stretch, fine. It's not that hard. It's time. To me, it's time.
Speaker 5: Why do you have to declare each time? To me, if you switch, yes, you have to declare. If you have somebody that's on third and you just say, okay, maybe it's a bunt attempt, so we're going to go from the stretch– You got a power hitter, so we're going to go from the windup. No chance the guy's faking, stealing, shift, whatever. But if you don't change, to me, why do you have to declare it again?
Speaker 2: You shouldn't. That's my point. But why can't we get clarification from MLB?
Speaker 1: Don't you think the teams are calling and complaining at this point?
Speaker 2: Well, the Braves and the Pirates probably are calling and complaining now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should be, right?
Speaker 2: I mean, Don Kelly didn't get ejected. How Chris Sale didn't get ejected, I still haven't figured it out.
Speaker 1: He got ejected the next day.
Speaker 2: Which was awesome. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: I hope Ashcraft gets ejected.
Speaker 2: Today? Yeah. Before the first pitch?
Speaker 1: Screw you guys.
Speaker 2: Then they would have to do– you know what? Honestly, then they'd have to do something about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If guys keep getting this call and then they have to get– they keep getting ejected before the first pitch, MLB would have to say something about it.
Speaker 1: We've already reached that point.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. If you're a player, force the league to say something or do something. Not in a bad way. This isn't a bad thing. They're not causing problems. They're not causing a fight. But bring attention to it and make the league make a clarification so that every umpire is on the same page.
Speaker 1: To me, this is getting petty on the second one in the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: It's covering. Oh, it happened last time. I want to do it again. Yeah. It's... It's the Joe West called a balk. Remember Joe West called the balk on Mark Burley. Next time we had him, Angel Hernandez called the balk. Just to show our solidarity. I'm going to do it again just to show everyone that I know the rule book.
Speaker 1: It's silly.
Speaker 2: It is dumb.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's that and the same thing with just having a plan down on when someone can challenge a pitch.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's also asinine.
Speaker 1: Yes. But to me, that's why we still have this segment.
Speaker 2: I mean, just make it reasonable with the challenges.
Speaker 1: You would hope that a professional umpire just does what everyone else does and doesn't say, you know, I'm going to be the one guy that's going to do this differently. This is in the book. I'm standing for it. Nobody else is doing it.
Speaker 2: Really? Hey, everyone's there to watch him.
Speaker 1: Right. This was the tweet that I referred to at the top of the show. We found it. The Red Sox are in the same spot now as they were last year. This is coming from Tim Healy, who covers the team. Would you rather, A, get the number two wild card and visit Yankees in the first round, or B, get the number three wild card and visit the AL West winner in the first round? And he said in parentheses, of course you get the top wild card, you host, but that's not the question here. A or B? I know that there's a huge gap and it's not going to happen, but if it was a small gap.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, you probably wouldn't mind traveling to Texas or Houston, whoever wins the AL West, right?
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's Seattle, it's a little bit different because that's a hell of a hike from Boston to Seattle.
Speaker 1: The Rangers win the AL West. Wouldn't you rather play them than the Yankees?
Speaker 2: But you get DeGrom and Ivaldi and McKenzie Cole.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: In a three-game series. I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: Rather play the Astros or the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Or versus Schlittler, Cole, and Freed, Rondon, whoever the three of the Yankees run out there in Yankee Stadium. Tough choice.
Speaker 5: I would look at the Red Sox and the Yankees. They both play better on the road. Now I know the Red Sox sucked at home at the beginning of the season, but their records are better both on the road. So maybe they just want to keep it. Maybe the Red Sox want to keep it the same and go into Yankee Stadium. Either way, they got a gauntlet of two pitchers to face, whoever they have to face, Mariners, Rangers, or Yankees.
Speaker 2: The top two in those rotations, top three in some, foof. Meanwhile, the White Sox are just sitting back going.
Speaker 7: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K-12 Powered Schools. K-12 offers tuition-free accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through 12th grade, It's all in a setting that works for your family. And K-12 has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over 25 years, serving over 3 million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K-12's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real-time support. Hey, we've heard Todd Father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling, and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K-12 powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at K-12.com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number 12.com slash F-O-U-L. K-12.com slash foul.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to this beef. And also, if you did have someone's pitches, the pitcher's tipping and you're standing in your box and Should you be relaying what you see?
Speaker 2: Yes. To hitters? Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that's an important first question here to determine.
Speaker 2: One million percent.
Speaker 1: So then what's wrong with relaying that? We don't even have to know if it was actually happening with Quinton Berry or not. But let's run the sound from Merrill Kelly, who did not appreciate it and thinks it's against the rules.
Speaker 2: If it's a guy on.
Speaker 3: Second base and they see the grip in your glove or if the hitters can see something that you're doing with your..
Speaker 2: Glove, you know, I think that's fair game.
Speaker 3: I think guys have been doing that since the beginning of baseball. Um, I think it's a little bush league when it comes from outside that I think inside the lines is one thing. I think the guys that are standing outside the lines, um, I think it's a little, I think it's a little bush league. Um, that being said, I got to take a look at what I'm doing. Um, cause clearly he had something. Um, and obviously if he has it, then other people will probably pick up on it as well. Um, So I've got to figure out and do better on my part to not give it away. But, yeah, I think it should stay between the players.
Speaker 1: Does it violate the Bush League laws like he said?
Speaker 2: No. No, no.
Speaker 1: What's the point of the coach? No.
Speaker 2: If the coach can see something, then. you need to fix it. Like the Cubs were saying, fix it. Okay, guess what? You know what the Cubs just did? A favor. Because now you know. And now you can fix it. Whatever it is he was doing, now you can fix it. Now, teams used to be a little more subtle about stuff. Now they just do it blatantly. They don't even hide it anymore. Because, again, nobody will throw at anybody. Nobody wants to fight. Cause they're going to get fine. So they don't want to fight. They don't want to, they don't want to do this. They just say, okay, you know, I got to fix it. But the Cubs did him a favor. If he's really tipping his change up and the third base coach can see it by standing in the box. And you know what? Fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: QB was Quentin Berry was very, I felt like he was very discreet about it. And you know, he just, he had both his hands. I can't do it cause I'm on TV, but it is both his hands down to the side. And he was just like, with his left hand. That was what they were surmising that he was doing. That was the video that I saw. Now, if the third base coach is getting something from the dugout, maybe I can get on the side of Merrill Kelly here. But I feel like he's not way down left field seeing something. It's not the first base coach out of the box. They have rules now, so... I don't agree with Merrill Kelly that it was Bush League.
Speaker 1: Can we show that photo, too? The screenshot. And I think this is just a fan who was pointing this out, but the tweet got some pickup. The fan said, this picture has everything. Merrill Kelly staring down the Cubs third base coach for half an inning. And Michael Srook at the game, even though he's on the injured list. I was like, can we get Jeff Bannister to... hit up the casino and go pick up Quintel Marte, buy a shirt, and bring him to the seat next to Mike Soroka. Hey, we still have a season going on.
Speaker 2: I love that Soroka's there.
Speaker 1: Of course he's there.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: And also, a lot of guys do this. A lot of guys are still there, especially in Arizona where everything's there, right?
Speaker 2: I would be there. What else you got to do? Are you part of the team?
Speaker 1: Do you care about your team's season?
Speaker 2: I always thought I did. You're there. 100%, I'm there. But I'm not..
Speaker 5: It's never gone through... It's never gone through my head to not be there. But staying on the topic of the sign stealing and everything, like, where is the line? The line is drawn by whoever draws the line. If Merrill Kelly thought it was Bush League, just like some pitchers are like, that's Bush League.
Speaker 2: You're butting on me. Don't bunt on me. Like..
Speaker 5: Why is Bunting Bushley? Well, if you bunt on me, I'm going to hit the next guy. That's how it's policed. So the line is really like you can draw the line wherever you want. If Merrill Kelly really had a problem, maybe he should have hit somebody. They don't do that anymore, Krauts. How many times do I got to say that? Guys, don't throw at anybody anymore. Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. They're not allowed to police themselves.
Speaker 2: And there's a guy who just went in the Hall of Fame that was known if you bunted on him, he would hit you the next pitch. He's a big left-handed pitcher. He just went in the Hall of Fame. If you bunted on him, he'd hit you the next time up. So they stopped bunting on him. Do you know who I'm talking about?
Speaker 5: Or?
Speaker 2: Yeah, CeCe. Yeah, it was a known fact. If you bunt on him, especially early in his career, he was going to hit you because he had to get off the mound and he wasn't great at fielding it. And then he'd yell at you if you bunted and then he'd hit you.
Speaker 1: That's Bush's league.
Speaker 2: That's what he did. I'm not saying nothing. That's what he did. That was his thing. It was known around the league. But then think about it.
Speaker 5: As a player, if you're afraid of getting hit, that eliminates two base runners. So it's smart by him. It's definitely helpful for you.
Speaker 2: But also as a team, you bunt. He doesn't field it well. You get on.
Speaker 5: Now he hits the next guy. If he's known to do that and he hits the next guy, you got two.
Speaker 2: No, he wouldn't hit the next guy. He would hit you. Oh, he'd hit you the next time up. I got you. Yeah, he wouldn't hit the next guy. He would hit you.
Speaker 5: So on base percentage, twice. I just think– I don't think it's Bush League from the coach, but.
Speaker 2: If he's standing in the box and he's doing it and he can see something, he did you a favor, Merrill Kelly, because now he can fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's having a tough year, Kelly. He's got a five-and-a-half-ish ERA. He's not pitching well in August. But if you polled all Major League Baseball players– the majority would say it's okay?
Speaker 2: Nobody's stopping it.
Speaker 1: How do you even stop it? You'd have to take the base coaches off. You can't say like, I mean, there's way too many signs and ways that you can give a sign if you're a base coach. How would you police it? You can't police it.
Speaker 2: Well, you police it because you do what we said. You throw at a guy. You hit a guy and you say that's for him giving a sign. It's like when the guy's at second base jumping around like a crazy person. You hit a guy, or you get a curveball grip in your glove, and you let him tell the guy it's a curveball, and then you throw a heater up and in. Do you think a guy's giving signs? You go out to the mound, and you say, okay, second pitch, I'm going to put down a curveball. First pitch is no sign. We'll figure out your pitch, and then the second pitch, you say, all right, I'm going to put down a curveball, and you buzz the guy's tower. And you know what it did? It stopped that dude at second base because the guy hitting was pissed at the guy at second base for telling him the wrong sign. And it scares the bejesus out of you. Trust me.
Speaker 5: You think a pitch is coming? You have sold out to that? Watch when catchers try to, like, hey, I got crossed up. That's why catchers are like, hey, imagine hitting and you're like, oh, this is a curveball. I'm just going to stand in here, not flinch, and this ball– goes right in the holler underneath your neck. But one of the things that Merrill Kelly said after the game, he said, yeah, we thought he was doing it with lefties.
Speaker 2: So something, you know, signaling lefties. So I went back and looked.
Speaker 5: He gave up two extra base hits to Ramirez and Conforto versus Kelly in the game. Is that enough to say they had something? Ian Happ didn't have an extra base hit. Now they had hits, but..
Speaker 2: Was that enough?
Speaker 5: To me, Merrill Kelly had one of his better outings as far as earned runs allowed, but you just base it on what's happening, what kind of takes these guys are having compared to what they normally have, and it all checked out for the Diamondbacks, and that's why they were pissed. But we just had Patrick Mooney on. There's a reason Alex Bregman is always in the playoffs. He brings an intangible that maybe he was with another organization. And he faced Merrill Kelly and said, Hey, we had some of them, Merrill Kelly, Quentin Berry. This is what we had. See if you can see if you can fix it. This is what Alex core. I mean, Alex, everybody knows like the like main guys who are really, really good at sign stealing and picking up tells. And I think Alex Bregman is one of those guys from what I've heard. And the little bit that I've, that I've seen, he's very good at that. And, That helps hitters everywhere.
Speaker 1: One other piece of the Diamondbacks puzzle we'll get to in a moment is Tori Lavello's sound. But before that, just a reminder to everyone, if you like what you're watching, if you like.
Speaker 2: What you're listening to. It's something every day, by the way.
Speaker 1: It is right now. Subscribe to Foul Territory. Baseball, the way it should be covered.
Speaker 2: We're trying to.
Speaker 4: To create the softest space for him to reemerge back into this environment. And that's up to him however he wants to do it. I cannot force a human being to do something that I want to do or anybody in this room wants to do or a fan wants to do. One of the things that made Cattell such an extraordinary player is that he goes to the beat of his own drum.
Speaker 2: And I respect that. And I don't know..
Speaker 4: Some of the answers to that question because I've talked to just about every player, and I know.
Speaker 2: How they feel, but it's a very individualized situation.
Speaker 4: How are you taking this day by day, and what are you willing to do to help is the mindset in that clubhouse. With Cattell, he's very private, and he's very quiet, and it's hard to extract information from him.
Speaker 1: That's Torrey Lovello, Diamondbacks manager, about the ball game.
Speaker 2: There's something you can do. You can bench him. Yeah. But he knows it's not going to happen because Torrey just said it. It's too important to the team. Right. So, I mean, you can suspend him, but they're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 2: Because Torrey Lovello just said it. He's too important to the team. You know who knows that? Cattell Marte.
Speaker 1: They tried to restrict and list him.
Speaker 2: And he went on the IL, and now he's at casinos on a game night.
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: He's very private. Okay? He's private. Cool. Tell us where you were.
Speaker 1: He's not that private.
Speaker 2: He's ripping roulette. I'm sorry. That's the thing about, listen, I played for Torrey as a coach. Nice guy. Really, really cares. You know, he's very positive.
Speaker 1: People person.
Speaker 2: People person. You know, but kumbaya, whatever you want to say. But there are times where you just need to say, hey, Cattell, we need to know where you're at and you need to have a meeting with the team. And then you know what you say to the media? Cattell told the team, and then you know what his teammates will say? Hey, it's between us. This is how it should go. And then teammates can say, hey, it's between us. And it's up to Cattell to say what he did, but at least he told us and we're okay with it. But to just say, oh, we're going to give him a smooth entrance back because he's one of your best players. Corbin Carroll ain't missing. Corbin Carroll broke his handmate and the next day had surgery. He's out there throwing the med ball against the wall. Where's Nolan Arnauto right now? Nolan Arnauto was the guy who had to play and be banged up because Cattell Marte didn't show up. This doesn't just affect you. It affects other guys on your team.
Speaker 1: We're looking at the week here thanks to SeatGeek. Now I want to see Cubs Diamondbacks. Someone might want to grab a ticket there for at least a series that has a higher percentage chance of some beef than other series.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Nothing will happen.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Guys don't do that anymore. Guys don't do that anymore. They don't, they don't retaliate. They don't, I don't care. You know, Jeff Bannister, you know, Tory Lovello. I know they're a little more old school, but they just don't do, guys don't do this anymore. They don't throw at guys anymore. It's very rare when a guy gets thrown at.
Speaker 1: Jeff Bannister would fight.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bannister was like in the Marines or something. He used to do like those Marine workouts with his team.
Speaker 5: I remember.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he in the Marines? He was in something.
Speaker 5: That's more of his Pirates player development background where they used to jump in the sand and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Banny's a strong dude. I get it. He was the one yelling at Flaherty. And Flaherty wasn't yelling, we're not doing anything. Flaherty was yelling at him, fix it. You know what?
Speaker 5: If you think we're changing or we're sending signs, fix it. So Yeah, that's a good series to go to. But, I mean, come on.
Speaker 2: Just go and seek geek.
Speaker 5: And you can't, like, this is going to be the Red Sox-Yankees series. Red Sox think they can catch the Yankees and get home field advantage for the playoffs? That's where you got to be.
Speaker 2: Get on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but tonight it is the Braves. Braves-Dodgers. Glass now returning. Bryce Elder, they need him to pitch well. I mean, can the Braves catch the Dodgers or the Brewers for the bye? That's the series right now is that the one that matters tonight.
Speaker 1: That's a hot race. Red Sox are finishing up. They'll keep going for a couple days against the Marlins. And the Yankees are taking on the Astros this week before Yankees. Red Sox over the weekend. By the way, for Cubs Diamondbacks the next couple days, the Tuesday night matchup is Clay Holmes, newbie to the Cubs, and Brandon Fott, while it's Eduardo Rodriguez and Matthew Boyd.
Speaker 2: On Wednesday afternoon. He's been really good. He's sneaky good this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good. So you know the code. Territory10. 10% off MLB tickets on SeatGeek. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode. So you can download the app if you don't have it. And then the code's automatically added to your account. So you can use it tonight. You can use it tomorrow. You can use it in a week. Hey, we've been so busy the last couple days. We didn't do a full-fledged injury suck, but Andy Pahis could miss a good chunk of time there for the Dodgers. Yeah, that sucks. That's a bad loss. I know it's the Dodgers, but it's real.
Speaker 2: Still a big loss. He's been good for them this year.
Speaker 1: He's been really good. He was not good in the playoffs for them last year until the catch.
Speaker 2: You know what he did? He made the catch, and they still won. So he did the one thing they needed him to do in that series. He made that one catch.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what happens with him. And Otani's working his way back. Could be really soon. Yeah. So just some injury updates. Casey Mize fell down a stair.
Speaker 2: Did you see the frustration on his face, dude? He was so frustrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because, well, then all of a sudden he's on the mound. He's throwing like 88 on a sinker. And they're like, all right, dude, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tripped. He rolled his ankle. So that happens.
Speaker 2: What else? Jack Peterson got ejected yesterday for arguing the ABS thing.
Speaker 1: Yep. That's going to be fun in the playoffs when someone challenges and the ump goes, nope, too slow. It's like the guy that does a pie down low too slow. You're going to have some ump do that and then the world's going to end for 24 hours.
Speaker 2: Or when they call a balk. Or if they call a balk.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So many things. Oh, we do have time to run. Oh yeah, I didn't realize we have five minutes. We do have time to run one of the Injury territory clips. You know, it surprised us. Do one of the Dodger ones. If you have it. Oh, you need a second though. One of the Dodger ones, Otani and Pahis. Let's start with Otani.
Speaker 6: I think they're just going to see where he's comfortable. They're going to say, you know, here's where his workload tells you he can pitch. It's somewhere between zero and 40 and they'll see where he goes. If he goes one inning and 12 pitches, so be it. If he goes 40 pitches and gets through three, four innings, so be it. I don't think they can plan for anything, and I think that's going to be the key. I think Dave Roberts and Mark Pryor have so much confidence in this team, in this medical staff, and in each other, that they don't really have to have a plan per se. They certainly don't have to put it together and say, one, two, three, four, five. and here's the bullpen, and here's the closer, because they're going to mix it up. I wish pitching chaos wasn't already taken. We need to come up with another term for what the Dodgers are going to do.
Speaker 2: It's mix and match. It's puzzle pieces. But Otani, I think getting.
Speaker 6: Him in there this early, maybe a little bit unexpectedly, tells us they're trying to figure out what he can do. Are they building him up? Are they figuring out if this role works with the rest of things? I think it's the latter. I think they're still trying to figure it out, and they're going to use... you know, the last week of August here and all of September as experimentation ground. They're just going to figure out what they got, see how far they can get it. They'll do a lot of resting and rotation and we'll see what they come up with in October.
Speaker 2: Same thing as they've always done. Yeah, that sounds like a rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Whatever they got in October will be out there.
Speaker 5: I think they gave him his shot. I think they gave Otani, we talked about this, they gave Otani a shot. Go win a Cy Young. We're going to keep you on a six to seven day pitching rotation thing. If you can get there, and he did his darndest to try to win a Cy Young, and then when it was out of reach, the standard things crop up. We're going to shut you down, lead you back into being 100% for the postseason.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hot Sheet is coming up. At 3 o'clock Eastern time today, the Baseball America show has Golden Spikes winner and Rockies catching prospect Daniel Jackson. He was taken in this past draft at 37th overall. Do you know that he was the first catcher in D1 history to exceed 25 homers and 25 stolen bases?
Speaker 2: But he didn't get to 30-30. He wanted to get 30-30. That was the big thing. He was trying to get to 30-30. He didn't get there.
Speaker 4: But 25-25?
Speaker 2: No, 25-25 is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: But he won at 30-30.
Speaker 2: But he didn't get there.
Speaker 1: Apparently, he didn't hit his first home run in high school until halfway through his senior year.
Speaker 2: The Rhino. Isn't his nickname the Rhino?
Speaker 1: They said they were calling him in high school a warning track demon. Well, look, he showed them now.
Speaker 2: And then he went to Georgia where it's like 150 feet all around and was hitting bombs.
Speaker 1: That's how the demon slays the dragon or whatever. Guest taking up most of it today. So if you would like to hear from a future 30-30 catcher, maybe, in the big leagues, then go for it. You can listen to him on Hot Sheet. Whether you predicted a home run or game-saving strikeout, nothing quite feels like a little parlay boost token on a bet. So you can activate that on any MLB parlay if you've got the token in there. Gambling problem or concern, there's help. Call 1-800-GAMBLER.