Speaker 1: Sabrina, Yes, happy birthday, thanks Will. How was your birthday? Was this a special birthday? Was this a good birthday? Was this an important birthday? Was this the tough birthday? What kind of birthday was this for you?
Speaker 2: Sabrina?
Speaker 3: It definitely hit differently than any other birthday?
Speaker 1: Did it?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Did it?
Speaker 3: Really? It's weird because I feel like this is the first one. Man, No, my thirtieth. I was so excited to get out of my twenties and be in my thirties, and then thirty five it was like, yes, this is like I love it.
Speaker 2: This one.
Speaker 3: It was just it's really crazy because it's not that I feel old or do I think of a like forty is an old number in any sense. It's just the first time where like I don't feel this age.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I see what you're saying, Like.
Speaker 3: I don't feel the way I thought I would feel turning forty.
Speaker 1: Are you one of those people that always want like Danielle was like this, daniel Fishl, I was like this where I always wanted to be older. Were you that person too or no?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 3: I really was super excited to get to thirties. I just felt like that's where everything in my life was really gonna be a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Things that I was wanting my decade.
Speaker 3: Yes, it just felt like it was like, I mean again, it was I got married, I had my babies. I mean, I was just like looking forward that I knew I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Really have kids or do any of that in my twenties.
Speaker 3: I just always kind of knew my thirties was really gonna be that well, for a long time.
Speaker 2: I did, so, I don't know, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I wasn't And my husband's just incredible, he is he knows me so well. I was no, because we're going on a big trip. We're doing Greece and Italy, and I'm super excited about that, and so I was going, no, we're not gonna I don't want to do anything else. We don't need to do dinner, we don't need to do friends over anything like that. And then of course, like this last weekend, he's like, okay, so everyone's coming over. I'm like what, And then of course I had the best day. He's like, if I didn't do that, you would be you would have been so sad to not see you know. I love to celebrate with my friends and I love. I have friends from so many different areas, some of my friends from LA to come down.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I have friends from so many different parts of my life that any chance I can get them all in one room and just kind of be able to spend time with each of them. And now, but so many of us have kids, and.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. Is it was?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Did? It? Was it regular to do?
Speaker 3: He doesn't have your he doesn't have your phone number, and I don't he Honestly, I don't think he was going to do it. Yeah, you do feel like you live that far away. But I had so much fun just getting together again. It was pretty you know, pretty tight knit group.
Speaker 2: And I loved it. It was super fun, very sweet.
Speaker 1: Well, happy birthday, thank you, not just to me, but happy birthday to the leads of the movie we're talking about today. Oh transition people, what drop? Look at that transition?
Speaker 2: We good.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your your friends, your popcorn and your PJ. Is that right? No, grab your popcorn and your friends and your pe Just watch the movie. Your friends are pjs and your popcorn the time. Your friends are pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the Waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Bryant, and.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about a twenty first birthday for the two leads of our movie today. That's right, Fill your cauldrons and complete your coven, because this week on Magical rewind we are seeing double with the two thousand and five fantasy d com Twitches and don't forget Twitches end up in Ditches. It's another October Ready and Halloween to Jason entry into Disney films, this time based on a popular Scholastic press book series of the same name from H. B. Gilmour and Randy Ricefield. I think I'm saying that right. This is a vehicle for the two of the biggest Disney stars ever and a debut on the Disney Channel on October fourteenth, Spooky Season two thousand and five Right in the middle. Like I said of the season lead up, the original airing brought in wait for it, seven million viewers, then a massed a total of over twenty one million in the first four airings, making it the week's most popular cable programming and ready for its sequel, Twitches two, which was released in two thousand and seven. But we're gonna get to that one down the road when we eventually get to this fabled sequel month, which is now building up where it's gonna have to be squel year because.
Speaker 2: Everything got a see here, there's so many.
Speaker 1: There are so many. The budget, if you can believe this at the time, remember two thousand and five was a whopping twenty million dollars, which is a very high number for the movies that we usually recap. But since they relied heavily on supernap effects, you can guess where a lot of that money went, and not all of it looked great. But anyway, that's not their fault. That is a fault of the time, which we'll get into. The movie was shot in good old Toronto. The coin landed on heads with a focus on green screen work to pull off some of the effects well pull off, putting in quotes, one fun Easter egg in the movie and another sign of how many movies are filmed in the Great White North. The Cameron's mansion is the same house that Regina George resides in in the movie Me and Girls. I have seen three quarters of Mean Girls, and it's funny. It's true. I keep trying to watch it on a plane with Daniel Fishel, and I get to the end and I have something else to do, or we land or something. Now, weirdly, it appears this movie has used two different titles. Twitches, which is the one we all know about, but it's also been listed as The Witches of Coventry, which is frankly not as catchy. Now do you think they did this because Twitches was too close to Bitches or Twitter?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: I mean, but Twitch just kind of says exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't think Twitter was really around in thousand and five, so I don't know why they wouldn't because Twitches is so cute.
Speaker 1: I was literally driving with Susan yesterday and she said, what movie you doing? And I said Twitches, And without missing a beat, you went twin Witches. I was like, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, it made sense exactly what it is for the queens themselves of the channel that I loved it.
Speaker 1: It was perfect and like most of the movies that we cover, Twitches or The Witches of Coventry, but It's called Twitches is currently available to view on Disney Plus right now. You can watch it right now, watch it later after you listen, or watch it while you're wearing a tutu. Whatever you want to do. It's completely your call and we're not going to judge.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: We asked this every time, you're going to know my answer before we even get into it. But had you heard of seen new of Twitches before we watch this?
Speaker 3: Had heard of it, knew the twins were in it, obviously assumed it was about, you know, some kind of witch situation.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I had not seen it. No, No, really, yeah.
Speaker 1: I had seen this movie three times already. This is my favorite dcomp No, never seen this. No, I've never heard it. No idea what it was, no idea what I knew about it. But let's get into the synopsis. This is why I said happy birthday at the top s arena. Well, I said happy birthday because you're my friend and I love you. But what I was really saying is because reunited on their twenty first birthday, twin sisters use their magic powers to save their kingdom from the forces of darkness. Early thoughts, what did you think.
Speaker 2: Ooh, early thoughts.
Speaker 3: I felt like the beginning was a little slow for me, so early on I kind of went, oh, and again, why are there?
Speaker 2: I get that it's Halloween, but I don't know where I am when I walk into.
Speaker 3: Grocery stores or a regular coffee shop. No, one's really wearing costumes just during the day. No on Halloween. No, that was kind of I get it. It's a little it was a little too forced for me, and that was what was kind of being set up at the beginning. And again, I felt like it went a little slow. So it's kind of from the beginning going oh, this is not not my favorite so far, not my favorite so far, but it did end up getting better. And then there's a few things that obviously I know we're gonna get to that we're just like, why can't we find a normal looking freaking necklace for people? I get they're supposed to be these like off the night I came back on a stupid necklace, and they're everywhere in this movie.
Speaker 2: Is a bunch of weird necklaces everywhere.
Speaker 1: There really are. So I'm a nerd. I'm a big, big nerd. You'll notice behind you these are all fantasy novels. Every single one of them are fantasy novels. Fantasy novels are very important with two things, building the world. World building hugely important, and the magical system are too important. I still don't get a lot of what was going on in this movie. I don't get the dark. I don't get I will get into all this stuff. I don't get how it can sometimes come into our world and for some reason just burns flowers. I don't get a lot. So this movie didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The stars of this movie, Tia and Tamaramori, who we will get into obviously, are stars bar none. They're incredible. They command the screen. You know why. They are the queens of the channel. They deserve to be. You cannot stop watching them. The whole mullyfamily phenomenally talented and couldn't be nicer. People didn't get a lot of what was going on. From strictly a fantasy nerd point of view, I didn't understand it trying to watch it again as a younger person. But even I would think the thirteen or fourteen year old me reading all these books which I started reading when I was a kid, in comic books would have been going, wait, I don't understand what's happening yet. Okay, so that's what I would say, see I because.
Speaker 2: I'm not in that. That's not my like.
Speaker 3: My thing, right, even me who isn't. I mean, you're looking for the details because the details are what I think people that really love genre like it builds it.
Speaker 2: That's like a huge part.
Speaker 3: Even me, who doesn't really need all of them, felt like I don't know what the hell is what and why things are happening.
Speaker 1: And their powers and the power even.
Speaker 3: Me, I'm going no, So and that's when I kind of go, if I'm gonna be that picky somebody who's an actual kind of fan of this kind of stuff is really gonna go, this does not make any sense. And then knowing knowing that because I knew there was a second one too, so I'm like, is it be like, are they holding back on these details maybe for the for the sequel?
Speaker 2: Is that why? Because there's just so many big holes.
Speaker 1: That just don't agreed, and a lot of it didn't make any sense. But we will get into that as we hit them. Yeah. Twitches was directed by Stuart Gill, a Hall of famer here on Magical rewind As. He also directed one of our absolute favorites, Going to the Mat, which he won a DJA Award for Phenomenal Movie, as well as Teenage MUTANTJA Turtles three, and episodes of Beauty and the Beast and Charmed two shows. He also acted as executive producer on the movie As we just said, and we're talking about stars. Two of Disney's biggest and brightest names, twins Tia and Tamara Moury, best known for the TV shows Sister Sister, which actually, strangely enough, has a very similar plot as Twitches, just without any witchcraft, and in both scripts they reunited in a clothing store. Now, in the book series that this was based on that we just talked about, the sisters weren't black, but Disney Channel was very quick to change that because they loved the Moory's so much. They were commanding the channel and hell yeah, let's do that, so they put him in there as the lead. Ta and Tamara worked together through the nineties and aughts, both appearing in Rob Schneider movie Hot Chick, and family focused projects like Seventeen Again and Double Wedding, and a reality show as sisters from twenty eleven and twenty thirteen. They even had their own R and B group voices in the nineties, but they would also branch out as inn visual performers Tia with a focus on cooking, TV shows and books, while also voicing Sasha in All the Brats Media and Tamara on the talk show The Real and as a regular on the Hallmark Channel. There are absolute icons that happened since there were kids. It's like them and Raven owned the channel and had every right to because they just commanded it. Have you ever met them? Were you a fan?
Speaker 3: I was a fan absolutely a lot from their TV show. I don't think I've ever met them.
Speaker 2: If I have, it was real quick and some random thing.
Speaker 3: But I have always heard a lot about just again like them, just being the hardest working.
Speaker 1: Young Amal the whole family too.
Speaker 3: Yes, we so smart, so so good about picking good projects for them, and you know they that I just heard they were just powerhouses.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I believe it. I mean their work is proof.
Speaker 1: Their work is absolutely true, Their careers are proof. Kristin Wilson plays Miranda. She's best known as young Lisa Doolittle in the Eddie Murphy movies from roles in the movies Bulletproof and Walking Tall, but she appears to have left the business in twenty eleven. Patrick Fabian plays the evil Fantos, who it took me a while to get that name. I swear to god, I thought they were saying mentos and it was weird to me where I was like Mentos the fresh Maker. Patrick is a very busy actors seen in an uncountable number of TV shows, including Verona Kamar's, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, but it's best known as Howard Hamlin on The Breaking Batspin off Better Call Saul. He was also in an unaired television pilot that was called Jack's House, starring a young Will Friedel and amongst the most Canadian cast members. Illiana is played by actress Jennifer Robertson, an actress who ten years later would be known as Jocelyn Shit on the incredibly popular TV show Shit's Creek. She was so good for not the second she popped on, I was like, all right, there we go.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And she brought some of that care she did. She actually definitely wow.
Speaker 2: She played this. She's so funny and God, she does not age. She looks exactly the same same age she looks Creka. She in this movie, and this movie was made forever ago.
Speaker 1: And anybody listening to this podcast who has not seen Ship's Creek you are missing out on truly one of the best ensemble casts in the last twenty five years on television. They are wonderful. The movie is eighty seven minutes, three little minutes away from that bull's ey. It's like we could see the bulls eye and they went nope, stopping. It feels like it's been years since we've been at the ninety now. The movie was written by Melissa Gould, who is a television writer from Party of Five, Beverly Hills, nine oh two to one Oer and Lizzie Maguire. But we noticed that Twitches was her last job ever in the business, at least the last credit that she has, which is strange. She shares the credit with Dan Berenson, who wrote on Sabrina the Teenage Witch and is the man behind so much decomming magic, including wait for this list, the Hannah Montana movie, Stuck in the Suburbs, Halloween Town, High teen Beach two, and the Cheetah Girls, One World. Also, he wrote Twitches to this time it's personal, as we all know, that's the name of every sequel we will be watching. Now we've talked about Halloween was big for you. So was there ever when you were a kid, Halloween or no Halloween? Did you ever fantasize that you were actually a princess, that you were actually had magic powers? Was this ever in your kind of repertoire or fantasy?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't think I ever thought that I had powers. I did think I was in ninja for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Me too. My dad's nickname for me is still Ninja.
Speaker 5: No Joy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Maybe we're from the same ninja family.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what the connection is right there, like you too. But my poor mom, especially after I started learning how to tumnel like gymnastics and stuff and was able to flip off of things, my poor mom really got.
Speaker 2: Just the hardest wes.
Speaker 3: I loved the cloth ones. That's like, oh, yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I are you talking about the sun? You're talking about the size? The ones that are like triangles with the one in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you hold them close to it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I loved those I could never do the numb chucks. Always hit myself, always got myself in trouble with them.
Speaker 1: I still think I'm a ninja.
Speaker 5: Hey everyone, Amy roboch here along with TJ Holmes, and we have a very exciting announcement to make.
Speaker 2: To all of you.
Speaker 6: We are expanding. We are now going to be coming to you Monday through Friday for a new part of our Amy and TJ franchise, if you will, the Morning Run. We're gonna help listeners navigate the busy news cycle and the historic political season that the country is facing. And we're going to do this now each and every day.
Speaker 5: Wow, we have a news franchise now, I like the way you put that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be covering all the latest news headlines for all of you.
Speaker 5: We'll have entertainment updates, and we'll even give some perspective on the current events that are happening right now. And this, by the way, is in addition to our already established bi weekly podcasts that we hope you guys are tuning into as well, with more in depth conversations and interviews. So we're gonna be with you Monday through Friday with Morning Run. Listen to morning run on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let us now get into twitches. So we open on a pretty awesome shot of a castle on a hill under a bright moon and surrounded by what could be smoky kind of lava. These are shots of Coventry. They're incredible. We know where the twenty million dollar budget went. Now I would like to put a small cavea on that. I would say they're incredible for two thousand and five. Yes, when you now go and even watch the Disney Channel movies from today, when you're watching you know a Zombies, or you're watching one of the one of the bigger descend in something like that, you can obviously see how the technology has gotten better. But for the time and for the channel, they looked pretty good. You look at them now through twenty twenty four eyes and you go, wow, that doesn't look very good. But back in the day, especially on the Disney Channel, it looks pretty great. We are told by a voiceover that this is the magical land of Coventry, which doesn't sound like an actual location. It sounds like a study of dressmakers, but it sounds like a study of making dressers. But the voice explains that darkness or the Darkness, has taken over the city and that twin daughters of the Sun and Moon were born on Halloween and one of the only ones who can restore the land. From a fantasy standpoint, very basic, awesome, I'm in you got me, no problem.
Speaker 2: But the dark darkness word didn't hit you. I'm like, no, there's any deeper than.
Speaker 1: The data are always have It's always the darkness. It's always the Dark Council. It's always the blackness. It's always the deep. There's always something along those lines, the void. There's always something where they can do. You know. That's that's pretty basic kind of stuff. Okay, you know the dark dark Wizards of Harry Potter kind of things, right, So that's but Darkness is after them even as newborns. We see the babies and their son and new necklaces. This is the Twitches. So the Darkness, which looks a lot again like the smoke Monster and Loss, but with blood and fire inside of it, roams the halls of the castle. So here's where you start trying to build the world out. Okay, so obviously it can break into fortresses, It is like smoke. It can come into different places. Okay, I'm starting to figure this out, no problem. It starts to roam the halls of the castle. In another room, a robed man and woman run to save the babies. They call the kids Apolla and Artemis, which is supposed to be like Apollo and Artemis, who were the brother and sister, you know, mythological creatures from mythological gods of Greece, but obviously one of they're both, so they change to Apalla an Artemis okay, and get to a small argument about grammar. Eventually, they decide to leave separately into another dimension because the twins aren't safe there together. Okay, I'm with you. They both disappear just as the darkness creeps up on them. The robed female finds herself in a busy city streets and leaves the child at a hospital. The man in the suburbs. It gets scared by some trick or treaters, but also ends up leaving the baby at an emergency room. Okay, the twins have been separated. They're now in our plane. Gotcha. I again, from a fantasy standpoint, I'm in It's basic. It's easy, No problem right on board. All these books behind me, a lot of them very similar. This is okay, okay, Twins are born, twins have powers, twins split up, twins different plane, easy, simple, easy peasy. Then time passes during the credits and we are now in the future. The sun necklace is now on a moor. I'm not even going to try to figure out which one, but one of them, do you know which one is?
Speaker 2: Which?
Speaker 7: Ok?
Speaker 3: Good, but one at least, and so now I'm going to one has a little beauty mark, and.
Speaker 2: I'm going I remember a beauty.
Speaker 3: Mark whack when I was younger and didn't pay attention to any details anywhere.
Speaker 1: But one with the beauty mark is Tia or Tamara.
Speaker 2: One of them is Tia or Tamara.
Speaker 1: Yees, that's how you do know it? One of them is that one of them is Tia or Tamara. Definitely. So I didn't know which one either. I'm not going to try to guess, okay, But she was the baby left in the suburbs. So she's in her room listening to music again, famous Disney trope coming up on a girl in her room. Great way to see what her life is like. Very easy, So automatically. She's listening to her music. She's drawing parents. Her parents, we can tell obviously we know have adopted her, but they tiptoe into a room holding a cake. She catches them and beats them to saying happy birthday. Her name is now Cameron, and she's turning twenty one. Her mom compliments her recent drawings of a woman who is beautiful and wearing a moon necklace, and we can see that she's it almost looks like They even say, like, is that a self portrait? She says, no, I don't think so, because the necklace is different. So she's in her mind drawing what we know is going to be her twin, but she does not yet know that yet, so it's her, but not exactly her. We then find ourselves somewhere else looking at the exact girl in the moon necklace drawing, now asleep. Two troll arms reached for her. She jumps up, but it's just a little girl surprising her for her birthday and for Halloween, because of course they were born on all hollows. Eve her roommate and the kid's mom say she was supposed to surprise her, not scarer. We can immediately tell her surroundings are less extravagant than Cameron's. She was adopted by a single mother who unfortunately recently passed away, and she slept in because she was writing in her journal and was up till well after midnight. She admits she's nocturnal. If the moon is up, then I'm up. Okay, we've established both girls. One has been, is up with the sun, loves to you know, the sun is up. She's got her powers or whatever. One is there with the moon, and one is rich. One is poor.
Speaker 2: Yep, gotcha, We're good.
Speaker 1: The girl asked if she misses her mom, and she admits that she does, but she's also just trying to find a job today. By the way, her name on this plane is Alex and she is played by either Tia or Tamarow. We cut back to Cameron, who is schooling her dad in tennis. Keep in mind what this dad's tennis shirt looks like, because for some reason, he wears it for most of the movie. She's having a big lavish party tonight, but she's also having a life crisis. She keeps thinking that something special is supposed to happen now, and she's on her twenty first birthday. This day means something to her. She doesn't know what, and suddenly she blurts out, I'll get it, and then the phone rings. Strange power which was also inhabited by another very famous television character called Radar O'Reilly from Mash. At the same time, Alex and her roommate are talking about her job search. She wants to move out get her own place, but she's also welcome to stay there as long as she wants. Establishing that she's got good friends and a support system around her, they get on the bus and she admits, ever since she woke up, she feels like something horrible is going to happen today, so again the balance to her sister. We then notice a man in front seat and he's very interested in her. It is the robed man from earlier. Alex tells her Rumy to say hi to her mom for her, and then her phone rings, so she also has the strange I can tell when a phone is going to ring superpower that Radar head from Mash very strange. Okay, Now, I don't know about you, but this seems like an absolutely useless magic power. But I'm hoping what it's actually stating is not just phone calls. It's just, uh, you have an inkling of premonition of what's going to happen. Yes, could be a very important kind of I would have shown it different ways. I didn't write this thing, but that's just the way that it is. They did it with phone calls. Okay. The robed man, however, is still very impressed. Would you be impressed, like if your husband every time was like, hey, say hi to somebody and then your phone rings, I mean eventually, wouldn't you just think it was creepy? Or would would like the best?
Speaker 2: I think it was really crazy, right, I would think how did you get that? He somehow connected my phone to like his apple water?
Speaker 1: Right? Yes, how are you doing that? Right? By the way, yeah, I know exactly where you are. That's not magic powers, that's just air taggings. Yeah, it's just Then Cameron and her friend pull up alongside the bus in an expensive convertible. Cameron feels like something great is gonna happen today, and Alex just misses seeing her Cameron and her power now walking down the street, and Cameron thinks she just needs to be super aware of her surroundings, and then the bus pulls up and Alex walks out. Cameron again doesn't notice her, but does notice a big sale across the street at her favorite store. They giddaly run over and take advantage while Alex is you know, we still notice as being followed by this creepy guy Outside the store. An over zealous woman who was the robed female from earlier, is so excited to see Cameron, who just predicted her friend wanted to go look at shoes nearby. Again anothery're not great skill though not showing the skill great, but they're showing that they have this presence of forethought exactly, this intuition that, of course, as young girls will be used for phones and shopping and all that kind of stuff. Oh right, Yeahdy looks at her and says, you are so ready, then wishes her good luck and runs off to join the man, and they reveal they've been following the twins for years. This is destiny. The man all of a sudden makes a help wanted sign up here in the clothing store. Nope, she walks right by. Alex walks right by that. Then a no experience sign necessary pops up when she ignores the first one. She's still walking by, and he gets desperate and he just shoots out a we're desperate sign, which finally gets the job. Hungry and stubborn Alex to enter. She walks in and tells the manager she saw the sign, and employee hands her the dress she was looking for, obviously confusing her for the twins she doesn't know exists. She's like, what, but she wants to apply for the job, and Cameron pulls the dress from her hands. Her sister walks behind her, grabs and goes thanks, but still doesn't see her twins face. Ooh, we are kind of pushing the envelope here, but here we go. Alex then tells the manager she really needs the job, but it doesn't get her anywhere, and the woman's like, nope, honesty is great everywhere in the world except for retail, which is weird. So she lies and compliments the shoes, and it was so convincing that she's hired on the spot. And this is obviously because the manager realizes she can lie convincingly. But then Alex does like her shoes, so she hired her because she just said one nice thing, which is odd. She also hires her with no paperwork whatsoever, just puts her to work, so we don't even know if she's on the payroll or What's very strange. Alex starts working, eventually literally bumping into her twin. As they see each other, they scream at the top of their lungs. Cameron knew it something great was gonna happen today. They wonder if they're twins or sisters or they just look like each other, but they realize they're both adopted and it is their birthday. Alex runs out, but Cameron catches up with her and grabs her hand, forcing the world to enter a slow motion realm and the close of the store of the mannequin fall off, once again showing more completely useless magic. I don't stopping time, okay, she jawsome superpower. I can slow time down by just grabbing somebody's hand, sweet ripping the clothes off of people seems really like a scummy kind of power.
Speaker 2: Yea, what could you really do that? What can you do with it?
Speaker 1: How do you use that for good?
Speaker 2: Yeaw? How are you gonna save the world by doing something like that?
Speaker 1: Again? Slowing down time? That would be slowing down or stopping time would be on my list of top three superpowers of all time. That would be one of the coolest things ever. But okay, an, yeah, we are now transported to Coventry and a mansion. A woman who looks a lot like the twins, and she does, is wearing a similar but your favorite, much bigger necklace. Sense it's it's a big chest plate. She's wearing a chest plate. She's wearing a piece of armor and the twins. It's true, but again, she looks just like the twins. She's wearing the big necklace. She senses something and runs off to tell Mentos the fresh Maker. She eventually makes it to Mentos. I won't say that to Thantos, who was doing some sort of pendulum over the water, completely confusing us as to what happens in Coventry.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: The second he looked up, I went, that's the bad guy. It's like, not even slightly hidden. You just get an instant that's the bad guy, feels there was no and then and then I tried to convince myself it wasn't him. I was like, you can't.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I was hoping it was gonna be the mom was gonna be a twist, Yes, no.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking, oh maybe maybe, but no. Now, Honestly, after Halloween Town and how obvious that was, I was like, Okay.
Speaker 2: So in these Halloween type movies, we just are gonna know who the bad guy is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he should have been just wearing a shirt that just says bad guy. It's yeah, So we don't know what's happening. But the woman is so happy because she realizes that Apaula and Artemis are alive and they are together again. She knows it. He doesn't believe her, but she felt it in her soul and her necklace is shining. So Fantos knows that if it's true, then they need to protect them. They are definitely in danger from him. He says, she can't go to their dimension and it would be too devastating to lose her. He'll go and bring them home, leading me to my first why the hell weren't you looking for them in the first place. If you can buy this dimension whenever you want to, ye, and the darkness isn't keeping you there in prison, why don't you just leave this dimension then and go and find your daughters to bring them back. Yeah, the holes are appearing, yes.
Speaker 2: And the only thing I kind of rewound it going. Did they explain that this can.
Speaker 3: Now the dimensions could be crossed because they're twenty one, or did they just honestly think they were dead?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 3: You know, it was very strange. Nothing was explained, so I just had to keep moving.
Speaker 1: But I explained so having no idea what is now going on. We are back at the clothing store. Alex is fired and Cameron is accused of trying to steal the dress, but that doesn't matter because Cameron is still so excited by the prospect of having a sister. Alex, well, not so much. She felt like something bad was going to happen today. Camera decides to tag along with Alex Debond and as they turned the corner, Alex is like, wait, is that your car? And is it? Pressed by her Porsche, but also reveals that her adopted mom died three days ago. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to laugh, but it's like, this is my Porsche. I'm having the best thing in the world. How are you doing? Oh wait, I just got you fired and your mom's dead. Yes, yikes, Sorry.
Speaker 2: I get it. They're trying to keep doing this. Yep, opposites opposite a tract opposites.
Speaker 1: There, sun and moon dark, the ying yang of it. I get it, but yeah, but Cameron grabs her hand and support, which is very sweet. But then the cargoes nuts, the alarms blare, all the lights flicker, the windsheld wipers go to work. The magical powers are now awesome. No weight again, how would you ever use that to do anything? So Cameron thinks that again, these magical powers are cool, but they're I'm sorry, it says low budget witches, my breakdown. That's true. At this point, you got up. Maybe maybe this is just the start, and we hope they can do something because so far, unless the monster they're trying to fight it is a two thousand and four Porsche UH convertible, a Porsche boxter, or a mannequin that instantly needs to be stripped, then all of Coventry is yeah, so it's true. The girls now drive to Cameron's mansion, which is decked out for Halloween, and they are greeted by a maid who doesn't even blink an eye. That there's now a second girl.
Speaker 3: Where there were so many weird little moments in this movie like this, like are you kidding me? They make it out to be that she's been a maid or someone of the house for years. Obviously you know that whole trope of you know, this has been somebody who's watched you grow up. And now you see that there are two of these things.
Speaker 1: And not even bad. Part of me loves the comedy. Part of me loves it where it's like, great, now there's two of you. But part of me is like maybe a double.
Speaker 3: Take a little bit, I mean even to John's shocked, yes, shocked about it, and then uh, and then a realization of now you're going to make the house doubly, you know, disastrous. Okay, fine, but just something It moves so fast.
Speaker 2: It was like okay.
Speaker 8: Jenny Garth, Jana Kramer, Amy Roebock, and TJ. Holmes bring You I Do, Part two, a one of a kind experiment in podcasting to help you find love again.
Speaker 1: If you didn't get it right the first time, it's.
Speaker 8: Time to try try again, as they guide you through this podcast experiment in dating.
Speaker 9: Hey, I'm Jana Kramer, As they say, those that cannot do teach, Actually, I think I finally got it right. So take the failures I've had the second or even third whatever maybe the fourth time around.
Speaker 10: I'm Jenny Garth. Twenty nine years ago, Kelly Taylor said these words, I choose me. She made her choice, She chose herself. When it comes to love, choose you first.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, I'm Amy Roboch.
Speaker 6: And I'm TJ. Holmes, and we are well not necessarily relationship experts, if you're ready to dive back into the d hitting pool and find lasting love. Finally, we want to.
Speaker 9: Help listen to I Do Part two starting September nineteenth on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: So the one thing there was a very big funny runner where Alex kept saying like, this is your house, this is the inside of your house, this is your room, and she's like, all right, please stop. So they get into Cameron's room, which of course is sprawling, and realize they can do magic on their own. So she opens the drawer Cameron just by herself, but it's stronger, even dangerous when they do it together. This is when they go over and Alex sees some of Cameron's drawings, which are very impressive. They obviously show Coventry and some people. She sees what looked like the self portrait, but it turned out to be a picture of her with her necklace on. She sees all this stuff, so while we see Coventry, we see the darkness, we see the necklace. They don't know what it is. We know they're obviously seeing Coventry and picture of country, they yet don't know what it is. Cameron then admits that she has visions, including another woman who wreck everyone can see as the lady from Coventry, and they're very excited that they're alive. She's got the visions. She's like, oh yeah, this woman is happy we're alive. That's kind of weird. They both feel like they know her. Cameron asks Alex to check her second closet for something. She's like, give a second one, and then she opens up. They're magically in Coventry, like the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. The magic is in the closet. Cameron joins her, and they're very very confused. That's when a voice comes out from everything. Okay, so a booming voice comes out and says Cameron tells them that they've been there before in her dreams. It's the robed lady. She hugs a frozen Cameron, this is again echoing voices. Okay, echoing voices. The voices are coming in. Then the man appears for Alex. They are Karsh and Ilana, their father Aaron's humble servants. They break the news that their father died the day they were born, and he asks them to watch over the girls for some reason. At this point, after the booming voices everywhere, they insist the girl's whisper.
Speaker 2: They yes, be quiet.
Speaker 1: Every time their voice is slightly raised. They're like and yet at first they're like, you're in Coventry. I didn't Were they only hearing that in their head? I didn't understand why they suddenly needed to be quiet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was that that idea of that they're hearing it in the head. But how would they both hear it? You know?
Speaker 1: I just was the same magic used to strip mannequins. Yeah, so it was this is I was starting. I was like, Okay, now they have to be quiet for some reason.
Speaker 2: Even though you were just yelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they break the news that their father died the day they were born, and he asked to watch over the girls. The servants say their mother is very much alive and now at twenty one. The fate of Coventry is in their hands. There's a lot to deal with, so Alex runs off. She has a gift. This is where we learn really what their gifts are, and she knows how this story ends, so she returns through the closet door and into Cameron's room, followed by Cameron, now alone. Carsion Eliana reveal the girls are marked for death, and we see the door to Coventry disappear back I'm sorry, I'm gonna do my own sound effects. Back in Cameron's room, the girls argue over the responsibility in Coventry and realize quickly that the portal is now closed. Alex is disturbed by everything, especially because in the stories that she wrote, because she was writing about this her whole life, her dad was killed protecting them. Cameron can't believe she's making being magical power Twins into a bad thing. What a buzzkill brand new sister I just met today. Yeah, downstairs. Now we're downstairs in the giant mansion. The house staff is getting Cameron's big birthday bash ready, but the darkness is already creeping into the house upstairs. Alex wants to leave, but she eventually agrees whatever this is, they're in this together. And just like that, the maid stumbles upon the plant on fire. The darkness is growled and creeping through the house just as the girls leave in the porsches. So the darkness can leave Coventry Coventry and come into our world for a limited amount of time to light certain things on fire.
Speaker 2: But not the whole house.
Speaker 1: But not the whole house. It also can't track the girls if they just walk out of the room. Uh okay, And which I didn't I didn't understand. I don't get the rules of the darkness.
Speaker 2: The darkness. Yes, plus it looked awful the dark again.
Speaker 1: The darkness didn't look great yet, No, a great it was now. Would you think it doesn't look great for now or even for two thousand and five? It wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I you know, I wanted to keep thinking, you know, it's pre.
Speaker 3: It just again, it doesn't look great for it to be such a big part of the movie. Yes, not look great. It's tough because it's not like we see it quick. It's not like the quick.
Speaker 1: Dragon at the end of Descendants, like it comes in the dragons. Are you're right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is throughout the whole movie, So it just was kind of and again, where can it go?
Speaker 2: Why what is it trying to do?
Speaker 1: Why can it seep through ceilings but it can't go through doors?
Speaker 2: Doors?
Speaker 3: Yes, how can it get into the house of originally because no one opened a door for it?
Speaker 1: And do exactly what you said, why not put it where the second they touch? Then I think what they're going for is the second they touch, they're now marked. But they don't ever explain that, right, No, so it didn't make any sense. But the nonsensical Darkness monster also creeps through the house as we were saying, and lights all the pictures of Coventry on fire in Cameron's room. Right, We're now back at Coventry where the darkness is just circling the castle, but for some reason can't come into the ca which again I guess is because the girls fought it off as a kid, but only stopped it from coming into the castle.
Speaker 2: It just can it is.
Speaker 1: It's weird, but it's in the castle.
Speaker 2: Do you never know why it stops? Like I'm right.
Speaker 3: At one point, I'm like, okay, so is it stopping because it's wanting to stop.
Speaker 1: Or not? Yes, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I agree, I don't.
Speaker 3: This one was real tough to kind of just you know, it wasn't getting over one thing. And like I said, with this darkness, it's such a huge part of the storyline.
Speaker 2: Yes, that you have to understand.
Speaker 1: What are the rules of what are the rules? Thank you give us the rules of the Darkness. I need I need some kind of rule for the darkness because it's I don't Yeah, I don't understand it. It was okay. Anyway, we're back at Coventry and the woman that we had met before says she's not just gonna sit around. She's going to go find them herself. Fanta is not happy with this because again, he's just a packet of mints. This will leave her people defenseless against the Darkness. Okay, so apparently the Darkness can't do anything because of her, I guess, but they don't really explain that either. She reveals she is their mother and she knows they need her. But this is the first time they're saying it, and I think they wanted it as like a moment. But we all we knew that right definitely, this was not a thing that was as shocking as it was that the bad guy was the bad guy. Yeah, Fantos convinces her again to stay and trust him. This is just obviously he might as well be twirling a mustache, going trust me, I will take care of the children. But he here. At this point, he throws out the theory that the girls are actually evil and teamed up with the darkness themselves. He then reveals that he's actually the brother of the girl's father and guesses that the servants have been protecting the twins. Tantos says he would love these girls like they were his own and they could save Coventry. So the mom tells him to find them. But man, oh man, does the bad guy give off bad vibes. We're now back on Earth. Cameron goes to Alex's humble house look at her childhood insomnia stories and this is the funny thing where she walks in, She's like, this is your bathroom. That said she's doing the opposite of which she's like, you're right, it is annoying. Please stop funny run. Cameron's mom calls her flip phone. I miss flip phones. I'd like them back, but Alex convinces her to keep the whole thing quiet, even from her own family. They figure out their names were Apaulla and Artemis, The Danger of the Darkness, how they were abandoned, who their mom is, and that she married her uncle, all from these childhood writings. This is important backstory, Alex says in her fantasy, she was always the one who rescued their mom. The girls then figure that out and they're like, okay, let's go eat. So they go stop for lunch at Alex's Roomy's restaurant. This is Lucinda, and Lucinda is a little creeped out by this new revelation that she's the only one who seems to be like, hey, you've now got an identical twin sister you've known for three hours. Who's your bestie? Maybe let's slow this down a little bit, or this is weird? Or my am I the only one pointing out how strange this is? Yeah, anyway. She also seems that maybe she might be just a little jealous of the new twins relationship. But before the food arrives, they decide to try out some spells from Alex's writing. She was just making up funny spells as a kid, they make a glass of iced tea shatter a soda, attacks a jerk who's talking loudly in new a cell phone, and again, these all seem like uncool, weird superpowers that they're just throwing around, like Okay, I don't want to I'm trying to get the nerd out of me, but I can't. I can keep going to the magical cut.
Speaker 3: Well, at least they're able to now move things versus.
Speaker 1: Just kind of they're doing some stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, like compared to the car and in the retail store.
Speaker 2: At least they're they're looking at focusingning and honing their skills.
Speaker 1: Of Okay, all right, now, let's you find out tomorrow you have magical powers and you're a witch. What's the first thing you do?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, man, I don't know. I think i'd go back in time.
Speaker 1: You want to change travel?
Speaker 2: I know, I just want to relive it.
Speaker 3: I mean I would do I would you know the Macy's prayed again.
Speaker 2: I'd love to do.
Speaker 1: Again. You're talking about like I'm going to go back and you know, meet Christopher. I mean, I don't know I'm gonna go back.
Speaker 2: To the I want to make sure you have a good time. I know where exactly to go. Okay, what Christopher Columbus was really doing that could be some shocking stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that. No, it's it was shocking anyway. The girls in Unison say go Twitches, Go Twitches, and a tune that was allegedly improved by Tea and Tomorrow. We see the servants were watching nearby. As we go into a montage with the go gos, we got the beat playing a very rare instance of a dcom using actual licensed music. The girls now are trying out their powers different way. They're trying out their their powers as the servants to continue to protect them, they turn some cat calling construction workers into beauty pageing contestants. They grow apples on trees, so it is at least a montage of them trying to learn to use their powers. You one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: I didn't like what they were doing exactly what their power is?
Speaker 1: Yes, important, you know, learning our powers montage. So at least they put that in, which is good. But the darkness is growing stronger as the girls get to know their powers and each other. But back at Alex's, Cameron says that she quote pities the poor Gooli ghoulie that tries to take them out, and right on cue, the darkness appears and tries to attack. The girls run around the house, eventually touching. When Cameron is grabbed by the darkness, their connection pushes it away for a second, but he's blowing up all the lights and is right on their tail. They hide in a closet and suddenly realize they're back in Coventry and are joined by their servants. Now Cameron is furious. This should be fun, not life threatening. The good news is they open the door to Coventry themselves because they trusted themselves, trusted in their power, and this is the power they need when confronting the darkness. They beat it once as babies, they can do it again. Very Harry Potter esqu here. Cameron has had enough though. This is her birthday. She has a party tonight, and while she was gung ho at the beginning, this is now getting way too real. So she's going home now. Alex is the one who chases her down and tells her that they need to stay, They need to be sisters, they need to meet their mom. Cameron says, nothing bad has ever happened, at her home, and Alex admits this isn't even the worst thing that has ever happened to her. Their differences are very obvious. Now everything is flipped. The servants say that darkness has left the earth and opens the door for Cameron, who walks right through it, jumps in her car and speeds off, leaving Alex at her house to be poor. Back at Cam's mansion, her party is about to start, but the guilt is getting to her and we hear a dramatic song. The Halloween theme party is in full swing and even the servants are eating the cupcakes. Cameron is dressed as a masquerade princess and everyone wants to meet her twin because she told her bestie I have a twin that she met her and she's like, please, don't tell anybody about it, but of course she told everybody and to get over all of her sadness, they grab her and say she needs to dance and flirt with Zorro.
Speaker 2: So random this is? That was another random thing?
Speaker 1: What just that you need to dance with somebody? Or that was Zorro?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well no, you know, Zoro is such a like a costume thing. That doesn't that didn't shock me. Neither did the cheetah one suit that her friend had.
Speaker 1: Sure you know that?
Speaker 3: Okay, It was more so just like, oh, you mean the way she told, oh, you need to dance?
Speaker 2: So hey, I'm like, why are you being weird? Are you asking her to dance with you? Or are you wanting her to dance with it? Was weird.
Speaker 3: She ends up dancing with the guy later. Yeah, friend was not my favorite friend friend I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a great friend? Nude, she was not.
Speaker 1: But we are now back at Alex's. She's with her roommate's family and she's just so sad. She thought she could trust her twin, but she can only trust herself, which makes her needy roommate very mad, and rightfully so, because it seems like she put a roof of her head and friendship and food and everything else.
Speaker 2: She's being.
Speaker 3: Alex is being a jerk. She Alex, you need to cool down, you know you do? You have to do sat front in that mouth.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and Alex again was played by either Tia or Tamara. Alex is gonna save the day and meet her mother, and she's gonna do it alone. She just needs to believe in herself and her power. So she opens the bathroom door and boom, she is in Coventry outside the castle and her mom is right there. They have a very emotional and tearful reunion. And did you notice how massive Tia or Tamara's tears were. I mean it looked I mean there were it looked like she was hosed down.
Speaker 3: This okay, this is the second like emotional little moment that we had.
Speaker 2: And they were.
Speaker 3: Both kind of over the top a little bit, not saying meeting your mom for the but it was just a long scene right along and when they got emotional a little about earlier on about being this is part of my spirits about sisters and stuff. It was like they were really fighting to have this like big emotional moment and I don't necessarily think it really needed it.
Speaker 1: Right if you watch Dancing with the Stars, I can say this and Karna will probably say the same thing. I don't think that we had great dancing chemistry.
Speaker 4: Then you need to be listening to sex lies and spray tend My partner, Ardam.
Speaker 3: He was so intense that me really nervous with Ceryl.
Speaker 7: But editor didn't wear a lot of clothes.
Speaker 1: No, he was, she did. She did keep her ankles warm.
Speaker 4: Get the behind the scenes of what goes down on and off the dance floor.
Speaker 5: Dancing with the Stars breeds body image issues for women.
Speaker 1: The thinner you are, the more attention you end up getting on that show.
Speaker 3: Injuries my phone wings, Hey Christian, Hey, yeah, I saw you're Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 6: I saw what happened to your arm, and I have the perfect guy to fix it.
Speaker 1: Fleeing honestly got to Clara, I'm I'm just trying to survive. I'm just trying to like make it out out of this season. Ego, she wanted to kill me.
Speaker 4: It was real bad insecurity on the show.
Speaker 9: It was like everyone was talking about my weight and it really affected my confidence so much for years.
Speaker 1: To come and betrayals.
Speaker 10: Because of that one betrayal, I knew this is probably my last season.
Speaker 4: Listen to Sex, Lies and Spray Sas with Ceryl Burke. New episodes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Speaker 5: My name is Cheryl Burke and I approved this message.
Speaker 1: Did you find it weird that the first time she meets her mom it's not the two of them together.
Speaker 2: Yes, it did. It was it was strange.
Speaker 1: It was a strange story point to where it's like, I'm going to go meet her by myself, and I get what they're doing. I get what they're saying. Where it's and again I think Tia is the one that plays Alex. We're just joking, but I think what they're saying is that because Cameron's life on Earth is so good, she is never going to leave. She doesn't want to leave that life, a ruin that life, whereas Alex's life on Earth is so bad that she will go to Coventry and fight and meet her mom. I get what they're doing, yeah, but it seemed like I like the idea of her going to Coventry by herself, but it was like I felt like the first time they met their mom, they should have met their mom as a unit.
Speaker 2: Seemed like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, I got what they were doing. But we're now back at home. Alex's roommate is trying to apologize to Alex for getting mad. She realizes that she's not there. She doesn't know where she is. She assumes that she just went off to the party maybe or whatever's happening, and the party is in a place called Waverly. Yeah, now this is this is straight up from Wizards of Waverley Place. Right, they're trying to do witches and wizards and right.
Speaker 3: I mean I recognize it as wait, wait for rely, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if there was any real cross over because I don't remember what you're I think so, but I don't remember what you're it like, was it a crossover or was it like, oh they loved that name Waverley it was.
Speaker 1: I think it was from Magical Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, I don't know where it came from. Twitches was before Wizards of Waverley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they might have wanted to see so this was at the time. No, because I I thought Waverly was Wizards of Waverley Place was younger than this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very strange. But anyway, Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I love that you caught onto that. I we're going to be watching that one.
Speaker 1: I know another one where I watched the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Alex is getting to know her biological mom and telling her about Cameron and her deceased adoptive mom. And this is when I did some googling and I realized that the actress who plays their mom, Kristin Wilson, is only nine years older than the more.
Speaker 2: I am absolutely talking about this since Free to Sease.
Speaker 1: Okay, absolutely nine years older, and I get in royal families, kids are married. I'm in the middle of a great Alison Weird book right now, where there's these the royal princesses are being married off at nine, ten, eleven years old, but they're not having kids until they're at least the ripe old age of thirteen.
Speaker 2: Although the cast scene was stunning and I felt like everyone in this movie was so pretty.
Speaker 1: Beautiful and well, they gave you that real princess vibe.
Speaker 3: They are They're instantly from the very beginning went wait, that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Look who are they.
Speaker 1: Oh they'res older.
Speaker 2: Oh they're their parents. Yeah, so I'm gonna get to that for sure, and so okay good.
Speaker 1: Alex and her mom are have decided they're ready to defeat anything together because Cameron is apparently not gonna help. Even though the darkness is getting stronger, everyone is counting on a very nervous Alex to help save the day. But back at the party, Cameron is blowing out her birthday cake candles. And you want to know a little secret, that's actually Tiamori playing her sister's character. She stepped in for a reshoot when he had a scheduling conflict with a Lifetime show. She was sure, so they changed her hair and they added a mole.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wow, wild that is the.
Speaker 2: Coolest thing about having a twin.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just feel like if.
Speaker 3: I had an identical twin, I would have tried everything school like switching school schedules, and I feel like I would have tried to see it boyfriends.
Speaker 2: No, that's weird.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm asking is it. Would that be too much? Like we're gonna switch and see if they noticed?
Speaker 2: The boyfriends would be stoked about if not, the question would they notice?
Speaker 3: But you can still what if what if they went into kiss and now now you've made it super complicated and your family's gonna blow up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, very strange. But my god, you change your hair and added a mole.
Speaker 2: Brilli, that's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, know the party is what the kids today would call lit. Something is bothering, Kim, Thank you very much. I've got theriz. People bothering Cameron, who has a heart to heart with her mom. Cameron tells her all about the other dimension and the twin and the mediocre magical powers that she now has. Her mom thinks it's just more stories like the one she's been telling since her childhood. She even drew something called the Darkness with a face peeking out of it, and they're like, She's like, wait, but I told these stories as a kid. She's like, yeah, and wait, there's a face peeking out of it. She says, yeah, I think the drawing might even be upstairs a face. She can find out who the Darkness is, even though from the second he was on camera everyone else knew who the Darkness was. Cameron runs upstairs to find it and it is Mentos, the fresh maker in the drawing, Santos is the Darkness, which obviously we've talked about it as completely in totally obvious. But back at the castle, Alex meets Santos, who is technically her uncle and her mom's new husband. He announces that the Darkness has taken over the castle's north gate. He's worried to hear that Cameron didn't make it without both twins. They will be defeated by the Darkness. But we know he's the Darkness. He's such a d bag. Alex's mom takes off of the north gate, leaving her daughter with smoke monster evil guy who excuses himself he'll be right back again if she can fight him off from the gate. Why isn't I surrounding the castle? Why can he then leave as the darkness.
Speaker 2: And come back?
Speaker 1: But the Darkness stays there around in the entire thing, but he can make part of the darkness. It's just not explained. It's just not explained well at all. We are back at the party. Alex's roommate is there now. I mean, this girl really has some serious fomo. She couldn't even skip a party for a girl she doesn't know when her friend disappeared into a different dimension. Then another uninvited guest, the Darkness, who definitely did not have an invite, arrives at the kitchen again in full rage mode and kills their maid again comes in through the ceiling. Maybe he's coming through event.
Speaker 2: Well, why is their maid still there?
Speaker 3: And why didn't anyone care about this flaming fire?
Speaker 2: He is the maid saw it was in shock and awe, and then just kept working.
Speaker 1: And why if he's there, does the darkness not just attack her outside? Is he caring about not being seen at this point? Yeah, darkness from the other dimension. I don't understand it. Cameron and Alex's roomy meet just before the party goes hey wire with a ton of explosions. Everyone thinks it was an impressive firework show, which is one problem with being rich. People think a smoke monster in your house is a firework show. By the way, finally, the dad has changed out of the blue tennis outfit because two scenes before where he saw way later in the day, he's still wearing the same sweaty, sleeveless tennis shirt that he had on, so thankfully that is now gone.
Speaker 3: There were two costume changes in this in this whole movie for every actor except the twins, except.
Speaker 2: For the mom. The mom didn't even change at all.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, mom didn't change. The servants tell Cameron to get to Coventry immediately. It's the only place you may be saved. But the darkness has blocked one door, so they rush upstairs to get another as Karsh distracts it. Here's the other thing. So Carsha and Iliana turns out there in a relationship. They kiss.
Speaker 2: He says it's a random another another random.
Speaker 1: Thing, and he says, go upstairs, I'll buy you some time, and proceeds to buy them time by doing literally nothing, nothing nothing. He doesn't throw a spell, he doesn't give it the finger, he doesn't call it harsh language. He's no he but he does he can make signs appear, he was throwing stuff around. He literally does nothing. He just gets eaten. Go ahead, you go, I'll do nothing, which was I again found very very odd. So the servants they break off from one another again. Iliana and carsh kiss, and just like the audience, Cameron is shocked to realize there are a couple. Carl says it's been on and off for twenty one years. As Camra gets ready to transport Carsha's again pulled down the stairs and Iliana is also in goy the darkness, but at least she also does nothing, leaving just Cameron alone in the room with the smoke monster until her mom arrives, catching a glimpse of the darkness, which drives him off because he broke into the other room where other people can see him. Like the maid and everything else. But the second the mom comes in, he can't be in the room anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, it even the question even gets asked, does she have powers? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You have powers too?
Speaker 1: Are you a witch? How did you make that happen?
Speaker 3: Because but it's never talked about again after that, it just kind of goes away.
Speaker 2: It's another just like.
Speaker 1: Carshilana, who have powers, can't do anything.
Speaker 2: Can't do anything.
Speaker 3: But the mom, the mortal that comes into the room somehow scares it away.
Speaker 1: Yes, is it afraid to let other people see it? None of it. I don't. I don't understand what's happening. I just don't understand what's happening. Anyway, their mom arrives, talked about the The cat, for some reason, catches a glimpse of the darkness, which scares it so it forced them to hide in a closet. We don't know what's ever being addressed. We don't know what's happening. Maybe it'll be in Twitches too this time it's personal. But for right now, Mentos, the fresh Maker is scared off by the mom coming in. Yes, they at this point say we've got to deal with Thantos in Coventry. And although she picks the wrong closet at first, which is kind of funny. We go to our final commercial break with a flash a dimensional traveling light boom. Now, Thantos returns to Coventry and pretends he tried to save Cameron, telling his wife and Alex that he found her but barely escaped with her. He says, the darkness is taking control. He says, the darkness is taking control and they must seal the castle to block her, but to his surprise, Cameron is already there. Everyone knows he's the bad guy. And then the girls do the hand signal for whatever loser, which is almost the exact same thing we saw on Camp Rock. Yeah, and I didn't know that was the thing. I guess, whatever loser?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 2: This go like whatever for the eave?
Speaker 1: Oh right? What whatever loser?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, must be a Disney thing. Fantos tries to talk his way out of it, but their mom sits him down and ties him up with drapes, which I have to assume was animated afterwards, and after they spent the twenty million dollars because it was not good, and his head is like and he's like Patrick is looking back and forth.
Speaker 2: And yeah was it squeezing man? What?
Speaker 1: I don't know and why? And he was looking at the ones that they had clearly hadn't animated yet, and that's always tough when you're working on green screen. I mean, at one point, the green screen is so bad that he turns and his ear disappears. Yeah, yes, he saw it. It was just it was not great. They reveal the signs of the sun and the moon on his palms, and he admits he's the Darkness and apparently killed his own brother. This was such a twist that I did not see coming. Weight called it ready like waiting. We called it it just it. We didn't. We didn't. It should have I'm sorry again, fantasy guy and me the whole twist. They should have set it up where we constantly think it's the bad guy and it turns out to be the mom who's the bad guy the entire time.
Speaker 2: But that would have been even worse.
Speaker 1: I know, But that's the cool thing. That would have been the great twist. Or the dad is still alive and he was actually the darkness. There's so much more you could have done. Then wait a minute, is the bad guy the bad guy that could have been so much boil alert. Yes, he tells their mom that he loves her, but it's all too late. She wants him to return the lives he's destroyed, but he says this is just the beginning. Then the darkness enters the castle once again.
Speaker 3: So that's not him, He's not the one who's controlling it. Or he pops in and out of being the darkness.
Speaker 1: I guess. And why then couldn't it have come and taken the castle the whole time, right, because if it had just come in and taken the castle the whole time, is it because he loved her and he didn't want the darkness to come in? None of this made any sense to me, where I just don't understand the rules of the darkness where apparently it hates plants and it hates drawings.
Speaker 3: Because the twins did it at the beginning, Was it only for like I feel like they needed to emphasize the twenty first birthday being like, yes, the the limitation of what their whatever it is they did as a baby a babies like the twenty first birthday was the limitation.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if they don't touch by then, if something happens, if something it's all kind of like Halloween Town. Like Halloween Town. If we don't start training her by thirteen, she's going to lose all This very simple one line we got that she was going to lose her.
Speaker 2: Power to have happened by then, Yes.
Speaker 1: Something to let us know what's going on, and okay, their mom tries to attack it, but her powers have been drained apparently during the missed melee, Phantos disappears in another rough visual effect, now out of his confinement of the chick and the rappings, which again I also and this is just the fantasy story guy in me, but they never should have thrown him into the king's throne. He's on the throne, and that's bad. He's the bad guy. You don't sit the bad guy on the throne. I don't. I didn't like it. But now he's out of the confinement of the chair. Thantos takes their mom and laughs maniacally. And I mean there's a lot of laughing while flying around all over the place, very Witches of the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: Com What was he flying for?
Speaker 1: Don't know. I don't know what's happening. I don't know what they're fighting for either.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was hoping you were gonna be helping me out these blanks.
Speaker 2: I guess it.
Speaker 1: Will doesn't see that's the new because I have no idea what's going on. I don't get who he's trying to attack, what he's trying to attack, why he's.
Speaker 7: Trying to.
Speaker 1: Didn't they come into the castle? If he could come into the castle the whole time? It was also in the castle when the babies were there, and they fought it off. But I don't I don't know what's happening. But when he dips down to attack the girls, they grab each other's hands and concentrate, apologizing to each other for their mistakes, and they realized that it was love that saved them as babies. Okay, so this is all very Harry Potter at this point, because it was the love Harry. I'll explain it to you screen. It's okay, it's the Harry got his lightning scar. I did I saw your face go black? Here we go, I saw your face go by. So Harry's mom sacrifices herself when Valdemort tries to kill Harry, and the sacrifice that she makes her love for him is what saved him and makes it to where Valdemort can't touch him. His actual skin becomes a spell because she died saving him and her love for him saved Harry. They tried to do the same thing here, they just did it in a much, much worse way. Sorry, but it's absolutely true. So they realized that the love that saved them as babies, it can save them again. They tear up as bright light builds between them. Alex and Cameron start listing off family members and friends they love, ending with each other, and this defeats the darkness for good. Essentially, they're saying that light is not the opposite of dark. Love is the opposite of dark. It's the old argument, is hate the opposite of love. No indifference is the opposite of love. Love and hate are actually kind of the same thing. But that's a whole different philosophical discussion. But they've defeated the darkness for good by simply saying the names of the people that they love, and Coventry has been ridden of this evil. Now safe, the girls hug their biological mom and are now joined by Karsha and Iliana. W horror back and are thrilled to see this outcome and may stay on Earth dimension for good, mentioning that hot wings are only ten cents on Wednesdays. She had a big eating thing, which is kind of funny. She was funny. We return to Cameron's mansion, which is now empty of the party. We see the maid, so it's good to know that she didn't die or was horribly burned. The twins are now perfectly sync together forever they sing, go Twitches, It's your Birthday, and then hug and that is our movie. We still don't know what's going on. Something to know. The original ending of The Twitch's script had the girl stuck in the Magical Dimension without destroying Thantos the fresh Maker, leaving a more ambiguous situation for the sequel. Do you think that would have been better had they been stuck there as opposed to kind of wrap up at the end.
Speaker 3: I mean, they had to have beat this guy. They had to have at least beat the darkness for there to be an ending. They had to still happened, so to not do it at all, I maybe him getting away somehow, but again he wasn't always having to be connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess that could have actually worked, But.
Speaker 1: I didn't really know what was happening. Yeah, and I know there's probably people out there that love this movie and you watch it when you're a kid and you love this movie. I know that I am supposed to be trying to put myself in the body and mind and soul of somebody younger to watch these things. But I can tell you my mind, body, at soul at thirteen, as a D and D NERD, as a fantasy nerd, would still have been yelling, what's the magical system? I don't understand what's happening. So this is one where I'm giving myself a break for not understanding it because I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: It was it was crazy, it was hard, it was hard to it was all over the place.
Speaker 1: I agree, let's do real reviews, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Let's do them.
Speaker 1: And this week I have the five star yeah, and it is from Lenya T leave him some saying that right as l A N I y A T. This movie is awesome. I watched like two times, but me and my family is gonna watch this as a family. But you guys did a good job. Five stars here it is five stars. I love it.
Speaker 2: Sentence.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunately completely totally accurate. But that is a five star review, Sabrina, what's our one star?
Speaker 3: I got a one star from an unnamed viewer. I wish I had a twin. I wish I could do magic.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's actually you, you mispronounce it. It's not a name. It's Unaminate is the name of the guy who left.
Speaker 2: You not getting me?
Speaker 1: Get not getting me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just all about seeing right through your garbage.
Speaker 1: All right. So we are now approaching, of course, Sabrina's favorite part of the program, which is our featured game coming up from producer Jensen, and this one. I'm just reading this for the first time right now, and I'm so unbelievably happy and excited for this game. It's called sand Twitches. Yes, we are going to be given the ingredients of a popular sandwich and we have to correctly guess what sandwich is being described. But we have to do it in our best witch voice followed by best witch cackle. If we get three out of five right and have a good witch impression, we win and save Coventry. If I get even one of these sandwiches wrong, I'm gonna be pissed.
Speaker 7: Really, I'm really quick, really quick. I'm just jumping in. I missed the beginning. This is my favorite? What'd you guys think? I love twitches? What do you guys think? I mean, it's one of my faves?
Speaker 1: Man, this is your this is this is your favorite movie? You missed the whole review? This is this is our favorite too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, It's like it's like Color of Friendship and then this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's It's just it's so well laid out and the story is so flowing and without holes. I'm very excited.
Speaker 7: But now I was always so scared at the end that that bad guy would just laugh forever.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm amazed that you even knew that was the bad guy. Twist caught me shocking by surprise. It did not catch you nomin by surprise, though. Who gave this one star? So here we go, Sabrina. Our first sandwich. First, it's rye bread, corn beef, Swiss cheese, Sauer Kraut Russian or a thousand Island dressing. Do you know what I do?
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorite sandwiches.
Speaker 3: What I can't think of the full point besides a corn beef sandwich, I don't think, Oh.
Speaker 2: What is what's it's I don't remember you have to do.
Speaker 1: It in a witch's voice, and then.
Speaker 2: I don't even you want me to do it? Corn beef?
Speaker 7: Here we go?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 7: That was awful?
Speaker 1: I would kill to be able to watch that again right now? First of all, what which does this.
Speaker 2: All my animated things?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, I'll give you one show. I'll give you one option on another game, which one of our two hosts is a professional voice over?
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go, I will answer the first one ready? Is the Ruben sandwich Ruben Yes, Ruben sandwich invented in Omaha, Nebraska by a man named Ruben k at a poker game. It one sandwich of the year in nineteen fifty six. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: My gosh, do you like them? I love?
Speaker 1: It's my favorite sandwich of all times, a Ruben sandwich. Yes.
Speaker 3: Number two, love making corn beef at Saint Patrick's Day because I said those after.
Speaker 1: Well, you know it's my favorite holiday? Now is any holiday where you have to do a witch's voice? Is now my favorite thing? Number two? Toasted bread, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and cheese.
Speaker 2: This is the club sandwich.
Speaker 7: But that's not hot I can't hear you.
Speaker 2: My god, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know they Sorry, I can't hear you.
Speaker 1: Come on, we need to hear it.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 7: Sorry, my zoom only allows a certain pitch.
Speaker 1: Let's here, Sabrina, come on, let's hear it.
Speaker 7: Might even be a twitch. Don a pitch?
Speaker 2: Come on, love sandwich.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's a weird Southern witch, a club sand witch.
Speaker 7: She sounds like like to me, it's like a character and gone with the wind. Who's dying?
Speaker 1: Yes, isn't it?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, no, spreakless.
Speaker 2: I'm probably so red right now, I'm so hot.
Speaker 7: Alright, that's good enough, I mean, honestly, it's at least it's consistent.
Speaker 1: Alright. Third, we have roasted pork ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. What do you got, Sabrina, You don't know roasted pork ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. No, no, all right, I'm gonna go. I'll do mine then, and I'm gonna a warlock, not which and I'm gonna say it is a Cuban sandwich.
Speaker 7: Man. Please let Sabrina know that.
Speaker 1: So Next, we have on a HOGI roll in melted cheese and saute onions.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, there's actually this could be two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, it's really it's really one. It's really one. It's really one.
Speaker 2: Yes, melted more commercially, Yeah, more commercial?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: Is it a for your sandwich?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait cheese seak?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Don't feel sandwich? I got this is the worst of all of that.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is my favorite game I've ever played.
Speaker 7: She had to say it in a normal voice for me to even know what it was.
Speaker 1: They hug her down. You just saw this much on zoom.
Speaker 2: Fill it dr feel sandwich?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Number five we have ham turkey Swiss cheese, which is then fried and dusted with sugar. That I have no idea.
Speaker 2: No, no, ham turkey, sweat Swiss cheese. Okay, fried with dusted sugar.
Speaker 1: No, it's not wonderful. I'm gonna do this.
Speaker 12: One is Harry Potter, because that hermione is of course a Monte Cristo sandwich.
Speaker 2: Oh where's your cap? All right?
Speaker 12: Limos my ca it's Harry. Harry doesn't tackle.
Speaker 11: Five for five In answer, Oh god, you're not going to get a sandwich past me, but you are going to get a voice past Sabrina that that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for making me laugh harder than I have in a very long time. Oh, I can't wait to go out and get a Philadelphia sandwich after this. This is so much fun. Can we do a Sabrina C's please?
Speaker 2: Oh man, oh man. There were just, I would say, a lot of just random things.
Speaker 3: And again, because there was a lot of plot holes, I was always kind of thinking they were going to explain it. One of the things that they didn't explain at all was his glasses that he had that he could just randomly put up to the sky and see the darkness.
Speaker 1: But you could also see the darkness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 3: Weird because then he would you wouldn't see where it was coming from. What kind of measure that had to like tell us like, it's coming really fast, it's almost here, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: It never it was never.
Speaker 1: Explained the unit of measurement of those glasses.
Speaker 3: Using you know, in a lot of movies like this they would say, oh, those glasses tell you whatever. Anyway, there was also I thought there would be a reason. Now the only reason was someone was watching them through the eyes of the random cemented cows that were on this big property of grass and they were watched, but who was watching?
Speaker 4: Like was.
Speaker 2: It okay? That didn't you?
Speaker 3: I mean random cement statue cows. I would think was going to be expl of some sort, like they meant something in the other.
Speaker 2: World or whatever. That's not true.
Speaker 3: One of the things we did catch the song that we mentioned, the Go Gos song, Yeah we got the beat. Another song that I recognized because of a tour they went on and I had to bring it up because we watched a movie that the two girls starred in and that was Ali and AJ. They have a song, a rush song that they played in one of the montages. And again because I heard this song every night for you know, the seventeen dates or whatever that we did.
Speaker 2: On that little tour, and I went, wait a minute, what is that song? And I went to like look it up. I was like, I feel like that's an Allian AJ song and it was.
Speaker 3: It was pretty cool to have it, and that again is not something that was like a licensed piece of music.
Speaker 2: Is not something we've seen a ton on the channel.
Speaker 3: And then we talked about the necklaces that all the girl the two girls and the mom, but then randomly the necklace.
Speaker 2: That the adopted mom she also had a.
Speaker 3: Giant it was like a bat honest, yes, but what was that representing because it didn't go with her Halloween costume.
Speaker 1: No, I think twitches too. They're gonna hopefully explain that she's got.
Speaker 3: Powers to powers to maybe so we noticed that, so let's just keep that in mind for the sequels.
Speaker 1: She couldn't magic her husband up any sleeves, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Because there's also there's also a scene where she kind of makes someone leave, right, isn't that part of it?
Speaker 3: Yes, she was able to get the darkness to darkness leave out of nowhere. We don't know why, so we're thinking, I think that maybe along with this, maybe her bat chest playing.
Speaker 1: Something her chest.
Speaker 7: Hole in their first.
Speaker 3: And then the one thing I will say and you brought it up was one of the first things that happened in the first scene when we meet Cameron's parents when they came into the room, because the age difference did not seem like equivolented to them having a daughter that would be twenty one at the time. Are they friends or is this like a uncle? I didn't realize because they look so much closer in age than what you would think.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think it's the I think it's the mom. Their magical mom is only nine years older than her, right.
Speaker 3: But I mean I thought that just in real life, I look same thing when they had her magical mom.
Speaker 2: She also just looks so young. Both of the kids looked, or both of the girls just looked a lot more closer to their age. For them to be playing their parents look felt weird to me. So that was really that was what it was.
Speaker 3: And then I always love like a funny line where the dad who just kind of seemed lost all the time, he really is finding himself as what what it means to.
Speaker 1: Be as a man as a parent.
Speaker 2: Yep, he goes, will someone tell me what's going on? And she literally just says later, Daddy, like you help me.
Speaker 3: He's just it's the same as some of the other things we've seen in other movies that I always just have like a funny quote that I love to just you know, I think they're hilarious.
Speaker 2: Made me laugh about he just got poor guy just got. He got right right to the side, poor guy.
Speaker 1: Well, now we come to the portion of our show Its gonna be a tough one where we rate our movies one out of ten our options this week, one out of ten, whatever losers, one out of ten, useless skills, one out of ten, Zoros to flirt with, one out of ten, roommates with Fomo, huge tia tears, one out of ten, ten cent wings, Oh that's good, one out of ten, smoke monsters with Blood and Fire, or one out of ten. Uncle Stepdads. I'm gonna let you pick this week. What would you like to do?
Speaker 2: I love the huge tea tears.
Speaker 1: You got it? So I think did I go first last time? Or did you go first last night? I think I went first home you did go first. Yes, all right.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: So it's already hard enough to compare these d comps because we're just seeing so many of them now and I'm loving it, but you do start comparing them to each other.
Speaker 2: You have to them.
Speaker 3: Going back and forth made it hard for me to just dive into the cartooniness of what the green screen stuff was, you know, so I didn't love a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm trying to get on a level.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna go ahead and just do my my correct studying and start watching all of the Harry Potters because.
Speaker 1: Read the books. The movies are great, but read the books.
Speaker 3: I will, but I'm trying so hard. But again, those holes being able to not just have me skip right over them means they were pretty big, and so I think I'm gonna go with a six point zero.
Speaker 2: Huge tea tears.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that's okay. I cannot be as gen with this film because I am a fantasy nerd. I cannot get the fantasy nerd them out of my head. I know people say I should, but even thirteen year old me would not have been happy with the world building and the magical system in this movie. I didn't get it. I didn't know where they were going. I am giving this a four point five huge Tia tiars. Again, nothing about Tia and Tamara. They are stars, they will always be stars. There's a reason that they were the darlings of the network. They are built for Disney Channel and for being young actors, writers, singers, producers, that they're the model of it. So nothing against the more reason, any way, shape or form, this script needed somebody with some sort of magical or fantasy knowledge to come in and give it a polish. So the nerd in me, as I point to all my toys and fantasy novels behind me, cannot give this a high mark, having nothing to do with the acting. Acting Again, acting's all good. The green screen was not good. There was the twist made, there was no twist. I didn't understand what the bad guy was doing. It wasn't particularly scary. It's four point five huge tea tears for me and there you have it. Thank you everybody for joining us on this amazing journey that was Tweitch is Twitches, Thank you so much. It is our next movie, everybody is, We are going to one that once again I know nothing about. This could be about a family of librarians that read so much they start to cry. Yes, our next film is Read It and Weep, which I believe is also on Disney Plus. So please watch and go and prepare with us as we are going to prepare because I don't know anything about this movie, but Read It a Weep as our next one. Thank you so much for joining us for what was Twitches, and remember to subscribe to our feed. You can follow us at the Magical rewind pod on the Instagram machine and we will see you next time. Bye, everybody fee