Speaker 1: Per this's media podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show what conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Steve Yanni Brody cal Randall, Danielle Corey and Brendan Rundy. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there's a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing now. Brendan is our guest on today's episode, and for the first time ever, he is making an appearance on Trivia before he appears on the regular podcast because of some scheduling things. So Brendan give folks a preview of that episode of meat Eater by telling us about yourself.
Speaker 2: Thanks Spencer.
Speaker 3: Brendan Rundy marine scientist with the Nature Conservancy, which is the world's largest environmental non governmental organization. HI study a lot of things related to fish, but mostly what we talked about in the conversation that just concluded is offshore wind and fish and all of the various facets thereof.
Speaker 1: And Brendan is quite competitive. He asked about playing trivia when he was invited to be a guest on the regular show. So I assume you're confident. You think you'll do okay.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm gonna win. I think I'll do okay. I might hang okay.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: He did ask Steve before we recorded if Steve was going to be on this episode, because he said it wouldn't feel like a win if he were to take the victory with Steve not being here.
Speaker 4: So just a guess here, you know, spend a couple of minutes with all round. Tnc kind of strikes me, kind of strikes me as the type of guy who's gonna get like tied up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, everybody's got six points and he's just gonna crack right there. Okay, choke, yeah, pressure Gay.
Speaker 1: The room is confident. Now. Each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat for the stat of the Week. This week, we're updating our total wins counter. At the top of the leader board is Brody with thirty wins. That's followed by Steve with twenty one, Jannis with thirteen, Randall with eleven, Cat with five, Clay with four, and Seth with three. Brody, Steve, Jannis, and Randall are responsible for seventy five percent of all the meat eater trivia wins. Brendan. Maybe need to break that up today and get a victory so that all the heavy hitters are in the room. Love too, Yeah, see what you can do. Now. Here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Mediator dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Carl Soresby wants to know what do you think is the worst question you've ever asked? Maybe our players could answer that, Steve, what do you think is like the worst question that I've ever asked? Well? Phil, Phil came to the mic very quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm coming to the mic to tell Steve to go to his mic.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Uh, I've.
Speaker 5: Since proven you wrong about it too, but I haven't brought it up. This is your stupid thing about symbiosis.
Speaker 1: You proved me wrong. When did you prove me wrong? It must not have been here.
Speaker 6: When a dude sent me an email proven you wrong.
Speaker 3: Now you're wrong.
Speaker 1: About that, Steve. I hate to tell you wrong about it. Plus Plus you can't argue when I'm saying the Encyclopedia Britannica gives this definition. You're saying that I like this.
Speaker 6: I could say to you. I could say to you, according to the National Earth Society, the Earth is flat.
Speaker 5: Okay it was a goofy Flat Earth website.
Speaker 1: That would be a correct answer. Then they'd be like, uh, I won't get into what you came to your mic.
Speaker 3: The definition of mutualism is commonly held. That's the way Spencer described it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go to answer the question what the worst question I've ever asked? If you come to mind, I've gone to the edge of our universe and probably too far beyond with some of the cooking questions once had should about what the two ingredients are and fry sauce. I don't feel great about that question. Struggling from the board game that didn't make it in there. That's the question about like ranking the most popular onion colors in terms of like what's grown. Yeah, don't feel like that one. Don't feel good about that one. One. That one that hung with me is when I asked a question about I declared it the worst hunting song of all time, and it was Luke Bryan's drinking beer and shooting waisting bullets. Felt that well, he got bullied on YouTube about it, kind of bad. I saw the comments got deleted, so you know, I'm like, who am I to tell Luke Bryan that that his music suns but.
Speaker 4: You're saying that he's paying attention to you.
Speaker 1: No, no, not him, the people, the people uploaded the video. And then the comment is, Who're like, I came here from mediator trivia. This song is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it means fun until someone's feelings get hurt.
Speaker 7: Nashville. Nashville is watching every week to see who catches a straight from.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 8: Listen, my deats are on.
Speaker 2: You can DM me.
Speaker 1: I have no idea who we are. The people who upload his videos to YouTube, they were aware for a minute of us Spencer.
Speaker 9: You didn't bring up any of the dumb TV questions. Dumb related some show that's forty years old.
Speaker 6: That like, No, I think those only kind of shows I know about. Yeah, what about that?
Speaker 1: Perfectly fine?
Speaker 3: What about that Hemingway question with the mistaken Billfish identities?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, well, like I came the following episode, I came back. I was like, ah, yeah, Brody, I'll give it to you.
Speaker 9: I was wrong, well, yeah, because I mean we were right.
Speaker 1: I worked myself into a pretzel. I don't think I was wrong about it. I just I could have used better judgment about it, and I've just been blatant.
Speaker 9: I feel like the dumb questions are very few and far between them.
Speaker 7: I wish I would have known that this was the if A Q of the day, I would have prepared ahead of time and come with a list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we'll get to our housekeeping. On a recent episode of Trivia, we had a question about America's hottest taco trend in twenty two. The correct answer was a word spelled b I R R I A. And I'm spelling that word because apparently me and the rest of the room butchered its pronunciation, which enraged a lot of emailers and commenters. So we're going to correct that today and Phil is going to bring the Latin flavor by nailing this pronunciation.
Speaker 10: Take it away, Phil, Yeah, that's what people turn to me for, is Latin flavor, which is why how I will say, Bria roll that out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Briat, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You think is that satisfying?
Speaker 2: Bria?
Speaker 1: Very good?
Speaker 8: That's oh?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 8: It was good?
Speaker 7: Steve made it.
Speaker 6: I made it with buffalo cheeks.
Speaker 1: Say it for say that word.
Speaker 8: I see both of you aren't choosing to say it.
Speaker 1: Okay, send your hate mail to Steve if you didn't like that. Now, the Shelby index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything? How's that?
Speaker 6: Just tend to win everything? Just?
Speaker 9: This must be nerves?
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is hunting, and this first great question is via Robert Galinado. Brody's not going to like this because it is related to media. What kind of coonhounds does Billy own in where the red fern grows? This is multiple choice? Are they blue tick plot, redbone or treeing walker? The topic is hunting. What kind of coonhounds does Billy own in where the red fern grows? Blue tick plot, redbone? Treeing walker? Who's confident in this room? Okay? Cal cal is the Caleni Kalaniani think they have this one right?
Speaker 6: Hunter Spencer just made a movie poster.
Speaker 5: We have this idea. It's a very inside joke, but a TV show called Dog Justice, where like, if your dog breaks a rule, there's a guy that exact justice.
Speaker 8: On the dog, on the dog or on the owner, No, on the dog.
Speaker 1: What would be an example of jo You catch a dog in a leash area without off his leash, so the dog justice guy shows up and kills dog.
Speaker 5: Okay, anyhow they made Hunter Spencer made a poster for the show where it's the it's the guy, it's the cutout from like the Redfern girls.
Speaker 6: He's old yeller. That's he's got to kill his dog.
Speaker 5: And it says dog justice that dog don't hunt well, at least not anymore.
Speaker 4: I like off leash area dogs.
Speaker 6: The unleashed dog gets shot.
Speaker 4: That kind of implies that every sentence is a death sentence.
Speaker 8: I keep hearing how Hunter Spencer is so bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but when you're like at home sleeping or something is his it's not only his bit.
Speaker 6: He just wakes up and makes something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, just for funzies's a reminder. Wrong question one? What kind of coonhounds is his billy on? And where the red fern grows? Blue tick plot, redbone, treeing walker. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brandon sang redbone, Yanni sang redbone, Cal sang upside down Redbone, Randall and Corey sang redbone. Brody sang treeing Walker. He crossed out plot, Danielle saying what's that say? Danielle sang red bone, Steve saying redbone. They got it. The correct answer is redbone. Red bones are an American breed that took form a few decades before the Civil War. They were bred by hunters who were successful at tracking gray foxes but always failed at tracking red foxes. They said red foxes were quicker and more wily, and that their current coonhounds couldn't keep up, so they started it's selectively breeding foxhounds to create a courageous dog with superior tracking and treeing abilities, which was the foundation stock of the redbone. Who's hunted around the redbone in here? Johanny? Do you know any any dog owners in your network have a redbone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 11: Boy, if I know of some, but I've never hunted them with them.
Speaker 1: We're on the question two. The topic is cooking a burger named after this state is often topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado or guacamole. It's okay, he's ready, He's up to question two.
Speaker 11: There.
Speaker 1: Everyone got that last one, right, Phil, except for Brody if he needed that reminder. This is question too. The topic is cooking. A burger named after this state is often topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado or guacamole. Danielle is confident, Danielle, do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 1: Steve? You think you know this one? You're just guessing for certain.
Speaker 6: I'm not certain, but I got a good feeling.
Speaker 1: Lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado or guacamole.
Speaker 3: If it said city, it would have to be Chicago, because they're.
Speaker 1: That Jimmy state of Margueriteville. What we're going with. Burger named for this state is often topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado or guacamole. The room looks stumped.
Speaker 6: Can you stop saying avocado?
Speaker 1: How would you like to say it?
Speaker 9: Ah from Mexico? Remember that?
Speaker 1: Do you remember?
Speaker 12: That?
Speaker 1: Is? Everybody ready? Cory? You have this one right? Randall, you have this one right.
Speaker 7: I've never heard a burger called my answer, but I don't have a better guess.
Speaker 1: As a reminder, Randall is a hot dog offician, but maybe not a burger Officionado.
Speaker 6: Oh, I love burgers just.
Speaker 1: Because like I like a standard burger.
Speaker 3: You ever put a hot dog on your.
Speaker 9: Ba Like every restaurant has like ten different names for the.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Brennan saying California, Yanni's saying Canada, Oh no, California. Cal say in California, Randa saying California. Cory saying California. Everybody said California. Everybody got it right.
Speaker 6: Got real softballs?
Speaker 1: This California I have never heard of burger. The California Burger earned this name because ninety percent of the country's avocados are grown in the state. Burger King even joined the trend in twenty eleven by creating the California Whopper, which came with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, guak, Swiss cheese, and bacon. If you want to learn how to make a California burger with a twist, then go to the medieater dot com and check out our recipe called California Wild Turkey Burger.
Speaker 5: If you want to learn how to make a California burger go to some avocado on top of it.
Speaker 1: Question three. Question three, the topic is conservation. The catastrophic twenty ten golf Coast oil spill was named after this specific rig that was being leased by BP. Danielle or Texan in the room trying to.
Speaker 3: See if she came up on the modle for this.
Speaker 1: The catastrophic twenty ten golf Coast oil spill was named after this specific rig that was being leased by BPS.
Speaker 5: In that little position over there, man, he's either praying or sweating.
Speaker 7: It's also the name of a Mark Wahlberg.
Speaker 8: I was going to say it he worked on the rig.
Speaker 6: If that gives it away, shut up, save it for his tidbit.
Speaker 9: I can't think when people.
Speaker 1: Are The catastrophic twenty ten golf Coast oil spill was named after this specific rig that was being leased by BP. Steve thinks he has it, Brandon, course, he has bone.
Speaker 3: I hope not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his bone. It's your bone, yeah, Brendon, what do you remember about that without saying the name of this place, Well, I remember the.
Speaker 3: Name day after day of CNN showing that stuff gushing into the water, and that a lot of I will say not that anybody wants this to happen again, but a lot of conservation money came from that.
Speaker 6: A lot of good people spoils did.
Speaker 1: Is there a scenario where a turbine could have some like doomsday scenario like that? No, no, okay, it's everybody ready, Brody.
Speaker 4: Well, like the turbine tips over and a buttler oil comes ripping out of surprise because it's as a whole flock of whales.
Speaker 6: Drop up a whole pod.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 11: No, I'm not. I know it's gonna come to me in the next ten seconds.
Speaker 6: Keep talking, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: You got you boys, give up, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brandon saying deep water horizons, Johanni without an answer, Cal saying nineteen oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the nineteenth a little bit.
Speaker 1: Wrong, saying deep water horizon, Corey without an answer, Brody without an answer, Danielle saying deep water horizon, Steve saying blue horizon. The correct answer is deep water, So can you give it to me? I'm not giving it to.
Speaker 6: Steve, blue horizon.
Speaker 1: This is a you don't get the deep water horizon.
Speaker 6: I would be arguing for it. I'd be like, that's just wrong.
Speaker 1: The deep Water Horizon rig was built in South Korea in two thousand and one and was owned by Transocean and operated by BP. A judge ruled that BP was given sixty seven percent of the blame for the oil spill, while Transocean was assigned thirty percent and Haliburton was assigned three percent. Haliburton was the company who provided the cement intended to seal the well, which failed and caused the explosion that started the crisis.
Speaker 4: You remember when Mark Wahlberg jumped off that thing.
Speaker 1: So this is a book about the movie, okay? And is it related to the deepens?
Speaker 8: The movie Titanic?
Speaker 6: About the Titanic.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 6: That's the title of the movie. Is the title of the event that this? But what's it about? It's about deep Water Horizon.
Speaker 1: Does he die?
Speaker 11: It's about the explosion? Okay? Else?
Speaker 1: Because ten people know eleven people died in the explosion? Was I don't? I don't have seen it?
Speaker 6: You have that question?
Speaker 1: For the topic is biology? This five letter word is the name for the bony scales found on alligators and sturgeon. Steve and Brendan and Brodie and Cal are confident has telling everybody how many letters has got? This five letter word is the name for the bony scales found on alligators and sturgeon.
Speaker 11: Because switch spots with Danielle, what is going on with the camera over?
Speaker 1: Steve came in and punted it and Spencer, can I ask you?
Speaker 6: I got a question? Is this a plural?
Speaker 3: Same question singular?
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm gonna give you any further hand.
Speaker 9: Don't answer that the way this word?
Speaker 6: Yeah can remember about his dumbest stuff.
Speaker 7: This could write it would be a word for I read it as a word for scales, so the scale would need to end in an S.
Speaker 6: I would question one.
Speaker 1: Boney scale found on alligators.
Speaker 9: I still know the answer.
Speaker 1: I still don't know if my answer is correct, but I haven't providing a slight hint. I'm not gonna give you any more information, Uh, Danielle. Five letter word rand.
Speaker 2: Would be.
Speaker 1: Wow. Cal is changing his answer. He was one of the first to come up with an answer. Yanni is still stumped. Yanni, has all this banter helped you at all?
Speaker 8: Not really?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brandan saying scoot, Yanni saying armor, cal saying scoot, Randall saying plate, Cory saying scoot, Brody saying scoot, Danielle saying armor, Steve saying scoot. The correct answer is scoot.
Speaker 5: Does Cory still get it even though he put those little Hangman markers underneath?
Speaker 1: I think we'll give it to him.
Speaker 3: I'm disappointed.
Speaker 1: Five rows of scoots that I run the length of their body. They act as armor and protect the fish when they're young and vulnerable. Some other fish with scoots are pine cone fish, herring, and jacks.
Speaker 8: No one's counting, but I think that's two bones for rended.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: So Kuran first described me that we're having a fish biologist on the show, so I wrote this question, and then I later learned that you're a marine biologist, uh with an emphasis on clean energy, which is how we got to the deep water horizon. So I wouldn't consider the scout question of the bone.
Speaker 6: It's like a plate of bones.
Speaker 1: He's getting thrown question five the time.
Speaker 6: He's thrown like a museum specimen.
Speaker 1: Fly Fisherman magazine declared this large terrestrial which looks like it crawled out of a nuclear disaster one of the greatest flies of all time. Fly Fisherman magazine declared this large terrestrial, which looks like it crawled out of a nuclear disaster, one of the greatest flies of all time.
Speaker 12: When you say terrestrials gearing up, well, you're gonna have to argue with the Fly Fisherman Magazine list if you don't like If your answer isn't the same is my answer, So I would to them.
Speaker 1: Corey has it right. He's handing out hints. He says he catches a lot of cuddies on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they like popcorn.
Speaker 1: You have this one right, Randall? Do you have this one right? I believe so, large terrestrial which looks like it crawl out of a nuclear disaster, one of the greatest flies of all time. This is question five.
Speaker 4: This is like how many times have they done this list? This is a great reason as to why sending your questions are stupid? Right, okay, cal I would encourage you to come what's the most popular means of transportation?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: It was the nineteen thirty nine issue.
Speaker 6: Of pop Outside because he named this one of the best mountain towns.
Speaker 1: It's like that's a question. Ever, it's everybody ready. You should like this question, because Brendan seems like he's going to get it wrong, and I think the game this funest Johanny, go ahead and don't show your answers yet. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brendan saying helgermide Yanni's saying chernobyl ant, cal saying chernobyl Ant, Randall saying chernobyl Ant, Corey saying chernobyl Ant, Brody saying chernobyl Ant, Danielle without an answer, Steve without an answer.
Speaker 6: No, I got an answer. I'm not showing it to you, Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't imagine that was show his answer. The correct answer is the chubby chernobyl. But I think we'll give it to you.
Speaker 9: So many different kinds.
Speaker 1: Is a variation.
Speaker 5: No way you're gonna give and not give me blue horizon. There is They got one word right, I got one word right. There's two words in the answer. They got one, I got one.
Speaker 7: This would be an unanswerable question if you didn't give us some leeway. I feel unless we all had read this particularly dude, I am taking that point.
Speaker 1: If you do this, Steve is not getting a point regardless of how we land out. And what do you think? What do you what do you think? Should they get it?
Speaker 3: Seeing that's how I got it wrong. But Steve had a real consensus.
Speaker 4: Amongst the fly anglers.
Speaker 9: The former fly fishing guides all had the same answer.
Speaker 5: Chubby chernobyl and chernobyl ant is farther apart than deep water and blue horizon.
Speaker 1: Let me read you, let me read you my flavor text. The chubby chernobyl is a descendant of the chernobyl ant, which was created on Utah's Green River in nineteen ninety one. The chubby chernobyl was born about a decade later when some fly tires in Portland added a flashtail and wings to the ant, which they originally referred to as fat bastard. The fly has been described as a guide's dream because even the most blind clients can see a chubby chernobyl floating on the surface.
Speaker 3: Horse on your board, Steve, did you write y blank?
Speaker 1: Blank blank? No, I'm starting to come around to not giving it to you, guys, Corey, what would you do you mean? It's they're all the same thing, whether it's an ant or a hopper a beetle you if you told me to now that flies figuring out.
Speaker 5: If you put something super far in the deep water and you look from far away, it looks bluish.
Speaker 6: Because it's out so deep.
Speaker 1: If you told me to hand you a chubby chernobyl and I handed you a chernobyl ant, would you say no that you handed me the chernobyl land that's the same thing. You wouldn't I wouldn't be distinguished. Get answer, Do not get the point. Nobody got that one right.
Speaker 3: It's not a big deal, dude.
Speaker 4: I knew you were gonna.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Johnnie off the bad get into a quagmire like Vietnam.
Speaker 1: They're not the same man. We've declared, we're happy trivia. If I just written chernoble, no, that's right, give us a leader. If just wrote I'm telling you, what would have happened? You would have been wrong.
Speaker 4: All that seems, I know, But this is the fun part of the whole.
Speaker 8: According to Field and Stream.
Speaker 1: Fly Fisherman Magazine, Fly fisher so junk on the internet, Phil, give us the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: How are you doing today?
Speaker 10: I actual want to apologize to the YouTube audience for this episode has become quite chaotic. Also also Brendan, I'm sorry, I don't I don't know why I feel they need to say that. Oh yeah, Yannis Brody, They've got two points, Steve Randall, Daniell, Corey, and Cal I'll have three points apiece, and in first place our guest he's got four points.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Cal's right, though, I'm gonna crack here it comes.
Speaker 7: That's why we needed the shared Noble.
Speaker 3: Some esoteric Western national forest.
Speaker 1: I was also trying to guide you to the right answer by saying a large terrestrial.
Speaker 9: The chubby Nobles are large terrestrial chubby.
Speaker 1: The chubby is bigger though Question six, Actually not, it's not.
Speaker 8: We're just telling you it's not, but that.
Speaker 1: It has it has the wings in the flashtail that make it bigger, right, so does it makes it look.
Speaker 8: Different, But it's definitely not bigger.
Speaker 4: Size is on the fly fishing scale.
Speaker 1: Question six.
Speaker 8: You know how hooks go like ten, twelve, fourteen?
Speaker 1: Question six, It's okay to be wrong.
Speaker 6: Everybody was wrong. Question six.
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation, which Federal Department directly oversees the United States Forest Service, Which Federal Department directly oversees the United States Forest Service, which water bottle. Is that what's that mean?
Speaker 8: That's mine?
Speaker 6: What does that mean?
Speaker 8: I'll explain to you just secondly, I mean right.
Speaker 1: Water bottle, says Kip Kills. I don't have even a guess as to what that would mean. Yanni's trying to come up with the answer for.
Speaker 6: The federal part of the heavy arrow lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Which federal department directly oversees the United States Forest Service. Yanni is stumped. The rest of the room is they look content with their answers.
Speaker 6: He looks a little stumped me.
Speaker 1: Oh, does he okay? Brandon, Oh, he's just sitting on his pile of bones.
Speaker 2: The departments.
Speaker 1: Just to make sure everybody ready.
Speaker 11: There's a there was a I don't know where the saying came from, but back in like the eighties early nineties, he say crack Kills Kills about this guy is a rap song.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: Kip Emily KiB is a coach down there at.
Speaker 11: The Mountain Projects Gym I like to go to, and somebody just decided to make stickers that say, said Kip Kills. Because it can be a tough class sometimes that she teaches.
Speaker 1: Danielle, are you ready.
Speaker 2: Keep going?
Speaker 11: Let her go?
Speaker 5: She's getting there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Danielle has three correct answers right now, so she is uh squarely and squarely we want her to keep everybody ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brandon Sang Interior, Johnny Sang Interior, col Sang USDA, Randall Sang Department of Agriculture, Corey Sang Department of Agriculture, Brody saying Department of Interior, Danielle saying Department of Interior, Steve saying USDA. The correct answer is the United States Department of Agriculture. About half of you got that right. The concept of national forests came from Teddy Roosevelt and the Boone and Crocket Club. They said they witnessed game and timber being mismanaged in Yellowstone National Park, so they felt a forest reserve was needed that would have different regulations. Thus the US Forest Service was created inside of the Department of Egg instead of the Department of the Interior.
Speaker 9: That's dumb.
Speaker 6: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: Makes sense to me.
Speaker 4: Questions I have no joy from that RUNNC.
Speaker 3: I got no joy from it either.
Speaker 1: Question seven, the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to us via Brody Monroe. According to the CDC, seven out of ten Americans who contract rabies were infected by this animal. According to the CDC, seven out of ten Americans who contract rabies were infected by this animal. Cal's not gonna like this question because it's via the CDC, So we assigned the answer to somebody like Fly Fisherman Magazine'd say, well, no, you know, how do we know?
Speaker 6: According to the CDC, I guess we'll never know.
Speaker 1: According to the CDC, seven out of ten Americans who can track rabies were infected by this.
Speaker 3: You're thinking on a totally different level.
Speaker 1: Spencer that not giving you any hints. Steve has two answers written down. You could show the camera here. You could show the audience what you're thinking. Does that.
Speaker 2: He answer.
Speaker 1: Is everybody? No, everybody's now. Let me take a look how specific here. If you thought the answer was a channel catfish, you could just say catfish.
Speaker 3: Noble ant wouldn't cut it right now.
Speaker 1: According to the CDC, seven out of ten Americans.
Speaker 2: Or superpowers see if it works this day?
Speaker 1: Yoanni, how we doing over there? I think we're waiting on you.
Speaker 2: Oh we are, no, let we can go.
Speaker 1: How many Americans contract rabies every year? I think it's like twenty five.
Speaker 6: Just these ten.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, not very many, or maybe it's twenty five for die. I remember everybody right, you know.
Speaker 5: One year the CDC, uh, there's only like seven CDC cases of a certain disease, and we had four of.
Speaker 1: Them our little group. Oh what are you gonna tell us what it was?
Speaker 6: When we had trick Nelson's, we were like four out of the country.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brendan saying raccoon, Yanni saying bet, Randall saying dog, Cory saying domestic dog, Brody's saying bet, Danielle saying dog, Steve saying bet he erased dog. The correct answer is bat. A few of you got it right.
Speaker 6: Coming bang hard? How many people.
Speaker 1: People get?
Speaker 6: Let me tell you a funny story about bats. I got a buddy, uh.
Speaker 5: Oh, got a buddy gets bat in his house, okay, And he goes to catch it in the net. And as he's fiddling fiddling with the bat in the net, the bat scratches him with its toenail, and he says, in the back of my head, I'm thinking something about rabies, And sure enough, no, it got into his house and he like got scratched by its toenail and had to go through all the treatment.
Speaker 1: My guess would be a lot of people come in contact with them or like trying to get them out of their garage or trying to get them out of their fireplace or something like that.
Speaker 4: There was like almost out in Montana where somebody brought a bat in, like a kid brought a bat in for show and tell at the grade school in Stevensville or middle school in Stevensville, Montana, to be like, yeah, check this out, this is super cool, which it is, but that bat somebody decided to test.
Speaker 2: That bat for rabies and it had rabi.
Speaker 6: So the whole the whole class had According to.
Speaker 5: This game right now is like a it's like a movie where like picture that's you're watching a movie about like a little kid's sports team or something and they in the and they get like screwed by the raft or something.
Speaker 6: But then in the end they win like the championship.
Speaker 1: Right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's like me right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah what sound mean at the crowd, it would be behind you and cheering for you.
Speaker 6: I mean one of the kids got to sing and.
Speaker 2: Argue that it was a home run.
Speaker 8: Right, No, No, that is not.
Speaker 1: According to the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, there are five thousand rabid animals reported in the US each year. About ninety percent of those cases are wild animals, while the other ten percent are domestic animals. Besides bats, the most common carriers are raccoons, skunks, foxes, cats, dogs, and cattle.
Speaker 6: Question eight.
Speaker 1: The topic is hunting. Over forty five thousand people applied to participate in a bison hunt at this National park in twenty twenty one. The topic is hunting. Over forty five thousand people applied to participate in a bison hunt at this national park in twenty twenty one. Nobody seems to be super confident. I'm very confident, right, Randall has this one?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Brody looks like he might have it. Cow?
Speaker 6: Do you have myself?
Speaker 9: Because I'm like, I know where it is.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 4: Want to talk about this one. But see's gonna get real angry. Okay, I'm gonna hold I'm gonna abstain.
Speaker 1: No banter from cow. But do you have it?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Forty five thousand people applied to participate in a bison hunt at this National park in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's one of two. Oh, come on, what.
Speaker 1: Did you see someone's whiteboard or what?
Speaker 5: No, it just occurred to me, Oh, okay, hide the plain sight inside my brain would occur to me.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, No, dude.
Speaker 6: I was off on such a weird little journey.
Speaker 1: Okay, mmm, I.
Speaker 9: Think I was off on a weird journey too, but I'm hoping that.
Speaker 1: Right into the course, it is. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brendan saying Yellowstone, Yanni saying Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Cal saying Grand Canyon, Randall saying Grand Canyon, Cordy saying Grand Teton. He's saying Grand Teton, Danielle saying Yellowstone, Steve saying Grand Canyon. The correct answer is Grand Canyon. I think we had Randall and Steve and Cal get that right. Of those forty five thousand applicants, of which I was one, only twelve were selected to participate in the hunt, and of those twelve hunters, just five killed a bison. The park hasn't sought volunteer hunters since, but did say local tribes would start participating in the hunts in twenty twenty three. The park's goal is to reduce the bison herd from six hundred to less than two hundred by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: I think they're doing it on suspicious grounds. Explain them feeding the whole, not j peer line of it as part of the justification. I think it's some horseship.
Speaker 1: But I don't think they're even supposed to be buison there to begin with. On the North Rim, I don't think even those are. They are like two percent candle, which they don't qualify for BFALO until they're like seventy.
Speaker 6: I think throwing that in is some horseshit.
Speaker 1: You don't want them to be hunted at all, No.
Speaker 6: I'm saying I think that's saying that they're not. What they're doing is how long.
Speaker 4: You got They tried to justify. They're trying to appease a certain group of people by saying, oh, and here's this additive information. Yeah, they're not genetically pure, which should also justify the hunt instead of vilifying the Park Service.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're going to if you're gonna center the debate around are they native wildlife or not? There's some conflicting evidence, but to throw that little cattle intro aggression thing into it is just misguided and misleading. It's like you look at it, you know what you're looking at It acts like what it is. It's like to add this like little cattle thing. Somebody's run around like, oh yeah, but they're hybrids.
Speaker 9: Isn't I don't mean aren't all basically all wild bison.
Speaker 6: Have some, not all most.
Speaker 1: I also don't think, Steve, that the National Park Service got too hung up on that when I when I was looking on their website about this hunt, it was like addressed in some FAQ that was way deep in the website about like are these pure bison or bflow? So I don't recall that like being a big talking point for getting rid of them. I do you think it was okay? I don't think so, I do.
Speaker 9: Phil.
Speaker 1: We have two questions left. Give us a leader board update.
Speaker 2: Phil Giannis, Danielle, and Brody are no longer in the running three points apiece, Corey and Brendan have four, Randall has five points, and tied up in first place are Cal and Steve six point.
Speaker 9: Cal's been coming on strong lately.
Speaker 6: Oh you want know something funny? You know Randall's got like that, doctor and everything.
Speaker 1: Never heard this before.
Speaker 5: Did you notice did you know what's on the on the archaeological like when I got my you know how we participated in that archaeological study.
Speaker 6: Did you see your document that came in.
Speaker 1: I haven't looked at it closely, but I saw it.
Speaker 5: Well, if you look at it close, you notice you're gonna notice up top, doctor Spencer Newhart. Oh wow, okay, even Seth. Now that supposed to be especially Seth.
Speaker 1: Question nine. The topic is fishing. This fishing lure pattern has shar true sides with an orange belly and dark green back. This fishing lure pattern has shar true sides with an orange belly and dark green back. Brodie, do you okay? He's changing his mind, Randall? Do you have this one right? Randall? Randall knows what it means? Uh. He appears to have the correct answer. Yanni, do you have this one right? I'm pretty sure this fishing lure pattern has shar true sides with an orange belly and dark green backes me, okay, Brody doesn't mean anything to you.
Speaker 9: It means if it's what I think it is.
Speaker 4: Your I can't say, oh wow, yeah, I truly don't get it either, Like, is there a category that the category is fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll make this lure in any other color.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of lures.
Speaker 6: Lure that's only available on.
Speaker 1: Fish doesn't have to be it's a coloration.
Speaker 2: Coloration.
Speaker 8: If it's okay to say coloration.
Speaker 1: I mean you're you're helping out your like the purple chest fish coloration would be orange with the grange belly.
Speaker 7: And I don't know that we're going to get anywhere with this.
Speaker 1: You should probably just move on to the next question.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 9: I'm giving away too much? You had it right, Brody, Well, I think I know where you're going. Okay, it's a confusing way to word the question.
Speaker 1: But I see what Okay, how would you.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 1: How would you work?
Speaker 9: What is this color pattern called?
Speaker 1: This fishing lure pattern has chartreuse sides, not fishing, orange belly and dark green back. I think that's what you're asking anyway, Corey thinks he has it's Steve is stumbling a little.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's just a piss poor question.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's everybody ready, No, give me one more second here. The topic is fishing.
Speaker 6: Can I say orange and green.
Speaker 1: You'd be wrong if you did.
Speaker 4: It's dark green.
Speaker 6: Sorry, that's why I'd be wrong.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brendan saying electric Yanni saying fire tiger. Count without an an, It's Randall saying fire tiger. Corey sang tiger. Brody, what's it say?
Speaker 11: Brody?
Speaker 1: Brody saying fire tiger, Danielle saying trifecta, Steve saying yellow perch.
Speaker 9: But listen, I think you left out a crucial details. Crucial You have black stripes, black perchy.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is fire tiger.
Speaker 9: How would you answer be like the stripes are like?
Speaker 1: But how would your answer be different if it?
Speaker 3: I don't think I it just leads people to tiger. If you describe the stripes, because.
Speaker 1: Now described to you how many words, or if I told you how many letters it had in it, like fire tighter has striped.
Speaker 7: Brody, did you think it was obvious?
Speaker 1: Based on the question, we got everybody to the correct answer.
Speaker 7: If everybody had just gone, oh, I know it and we moved on, would you have said that was a shitty question.
Speaker 1: Well, the way it's worded, boy a tough crowd.
Speaker 4: Get the point.
Speaker 1: He does not good enough because he didn't say fire. He said no, he says tiger.
Speaker 6: You said tiger, which happy because it's sposed, because it's meant to look like a perch.
Speaker 1: Little is known about the history of the fire tiger pattern. The earliest reference of fire tiger I found is in a nineteen seventy five rebel catalog that was advertising the mini or crank bait, but I suspect it's much older than that. It's a popular pattern among walleye and bass anglers, and most closely mimics of perch, although there isn't much in nature that looks like a fire tiger crank bait.
Speaker 6: Do I get it for perch?
Speaker 1: You do not get it right, Phil, We have one question left.
Speaker 6: Who was all tied up?
Speaker 12: Game?
Speaker 1: Want to be fair?
Speaker 3: You guys were already I think that was a terrible children's movie.
Speaker 1: I think that was a perfect question. About half of you got it right, and that's a good indicator. I like the speciality question. It makes sense. I gotta build myself up a little because you boys just tear me down the whole time.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think that's the one that you should be building yourself up on.
Speaker 1: Scoreboard update. I've been very supportive. I I'd like you to know except for the sher noble.
Speaker 2: Cal Randall and Steve are tied up with six points.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: There's nobody with five. Nobody's got five.
Speaker 8: I want to apologize to our guest here.
Speaker 6: I thought he was going too, so that's why.
Speaker 8: I came out.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 2: I was in first.
Speaker 3: The rules at the beginning gave you quick.
Speaker 2: I deserved it.
Speaker 1: That's brutal.
Speaker 9: When you get your first few right, you think you're just sail into victory.
Speaker 6: He saw played his board horizontal.
Speaker 1: Question tank A lot of people Question ten. The topic is cooking. This last great question comes to his via Ken Mitsui, named after a Swedish king. This style of steak is served with crab meat, asparagus and butter sauce on top of it. Brendan is quick to answer he knows the answer. Named after a Swedish king, This style of steak is served with crab meat, asparagus and butter sauce on top of it.
Speaker 2: God, I know this one.
Speaker 1: Randall. Do you have this one? Right?
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, Who's who's left in the game.
Speaker 2: It's Randall's Randal Stephen cow All have six points and are vying for.
Speaker 1: The wind named after a Swedish king.
Speaker 9: Trying to say something that.
Speaker 1: This style is served with crab meat, asparagus and butter sauce on top of it.
Speaker 8: Steve, there's been a little plot twist in this little.
Speaker 6: It's a rare children's movie. It winds up where the the kids the under the rich kids.
Speaker 3: Phil, you got to do the director's cut of this episode.
Speaker 8: Anyone else.
Speaker 1: Named after a Swedish sham bag down on their next time. This style of steak is served with crab meat, a spa guss and butter sauce on top of it. Steve, have you ever seen a steak that looked like this?
Speaker 6: This is totally foreign, a steak with crabb met I'm stumped. Now, you're now like the quintessential eighties white cloth, like the old kind of fancy steakhouse.
Speaker 9: It's not this steak. If it doesn't have asparagus with it, they.
Speaker 8: Would have had beef Wellington on the same menu, right, yeah, man, just like the classic side. But no, I'm making steak Diana.
Speaker 1: That was a sauce Trivia Championship. It was about the steak, Diane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, We've been making a lot of steak, Dian ever since that aired.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I should talk to you about some notes.
Speaker 1: Brody and Steve, do you boys give up? No?
Speaker 8: Give me a second?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 3: What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: This is what happens when we don't eat one.
Speaker 3: Karin is sitting out there tapping her watch.
Speaker 9: I can't remember you stumped the chef.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brandan sang Louis Yanni without an answer, Count without an answer, Randal sang Oscar, Corey sang King surfin turf. Brody sayg hollandays, Danielle without an answer, Steve saying Holland days Randall got it. The correct answer is Oscar style?
Speaker 6: Why did you take mine?
Speaker 1: Making him our winner?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 1: The Oscar style steak was created with Veal in eighteen ninety seven and named after the Swedish King Oscar Frederick, who loved the pairing of ingredients. King Oscar was an eccentric who wrote poetry, founded the world's first open air museum, and funded numerous Arctic expeditions. Besides this surfing turf, he also has a glacier named after him. Has anyone ever had an Oscar style steak?
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm sure I have.
Speaker 1: It's on the menu at Chico. If you oh, yeah, you're at Chico, they have an Oscar staff steak there.
Speaker 6: That's what I had.
Speaker 1: Seventeenth three Randall wins with seven corrects orange flombay for dessert. Randall? Where is the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater going?
Speaker 6: It's award?
Speaker 7: We have a guest with this, who's wearing a vet's give it is the world's largest conservation and g O got it.
Speaker 1: Let's give it to the Nature Conservancy? Nature Conservancy? What do we like about them? Brandon?
Speaker 7: What are they the underdog in the conservation space?
Speaker 1: You know that scrappy Uh huh, Go ahead, you can do the real Why should we be giving the five hundred dollars to the Nature Conservancy?
Speaker 3: Well, we're in every one of the fifty states and DC We're working on conservation in your backyard and the state of Montana. We're working on sage brush restoration. We're getting rid of old fences that are in the way of migratory corridors for big game. I encourage everyone to take a look at what the Nature Conservancy is doing in your state. Get out there and volunteer. Always looking for volunteers and always looking for donations. We're glad to have you as Randall.
Speaker 6: Thank you, ah wonderful.
Speaker 7: I'm happy to contribute.
Speaker 1: Good pitch five hundred dollars going their way. Thank you for joining us, Brandon. You'll hear them on an upcoming episode the Mediater podcast. Join us next time for more met Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Spencer, Thank you Spencer,