Speaker 1: To the move Darling Deep Speedways Past Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studio. This inside the Baptist Help Training Complex. This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: He's got my hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. On today's show, we have a busy loaded episode for you. Ted Winn from the Athletic and the Just Win podcast is going to get you caught up on all the latest about the Las Vegas Raiders. And then, as I do every single Friday, Kyle Crabs joins me. I love the conversation I had with Kyle on this podcast talking about the Dolphins now, in the future and the direction of the team. Really good chat with him talking about college ball as well. I'll also make the week eleven picks from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast. Real quick.
Speaker 3: If you have not seen this, if you are only a podcast fan and not on social media apps at all, or maybe the former Twitter app, get at me on Blue Sky.
Speaker 2: Really enjoying my time over there. So far.
Speaker 3: People are nice. It's not a bunch of crap talk to you at all times. So I'm enjoying that kind of re energizing my feelings about social media that have gone completely off the rails the last few years. Let's go ahead and pick this thing up with my chat with the great Ted Win. So the Raiders are in town, and you know what that means. I have to bring in my friend today on the podcast, Ted Winn from the Athletic. He joins us here from the Baptist Health Studios on Dolphins HQ as well as the Draft Time podcast. You can find him on the Just Win podcast as well of all of his written content on the Athletic dot com. Ted Winn, Welcome back in, Ted man, how.
Speaker 4: You doing done great? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: We're happy to have you.
Speaker 3: It's Dolphins and Raiders week, which means you're here with us on the show as we do I think for the last like five or six years now. But Ted, before we get into Sunday's matchup here at hard Rock Stadium, you know, you break down film all over the league, and I want to ask you a general question before we get into the matchup here and scrolling your timeline, I've noticed that you've been like fighting the good fight against this concept of the NFL product suffering this year. And I just want to kind of give you a platform here on our show to refute that idea that the NFL is somehow, I guess regressing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think maybe people are just confusing the idea that maybe because scoring is not as high as it used to be back in the Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees era, that you know, you would have three or four guys challenging for five thousand passing yard every year, and maybe that's what people kind of miss and maybe they think that that's good football. But I think we're just moving on to a different area where, you know, defenses. I feel like we're almost in kind of a golden age of defenses as far as defense is getting really creative with their pressure schemes. Almost on every single play, you're going to see some sort of disguise now like that that's not how it used to be back then. Like, I've talked to a lot of offensive coordinators and quarterbacks this offseason, and a lot of them, you know, say they don't know what they're looking at defensively, you know, even when they're looking at film, they're not exactly sure what the defense is in. Back then, it was Cover three, it was Cover one, a lot of man coverage. I wouldn't say it was easy to beat them, but it was kind of easier to decipher.
Speaker 4: Now. I just feel like.
Speaker 5: Defensive coordinators do such a good job of confusing quarterbacks, and I feel like we're out a good spot where we have a lot of young quarterbacks. A lot of the top quarterbacks are doing making plays that we've never seen before, just because they're such a good mix of their athletic ability, arm talent, and now they're really mastering the game, like Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen. You see guys, you know, like a guy like Lamar Jackson just take that next step mentally combining with his physical abilities. So I feel like the league's in a great place. So I'm entertained every week. And there's a lot of close games too, Like it feels like almost every game is a one possession game. So I really don't know what people are talking about when they're saying that the product has diminished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the close games is exactly what I want to talk about, because to me, like you turn a game on with you know, ten minutes left from the game, and typically you're going to get some type of you know high you know, high urgency, you know, critical moment type of play. And that's what makes this league so fun on top of the parody that it has. And to your point about those you know, Manning and Brady Eras and Drew Brees and the guys that were going off for five k and you know, forty touchdowns every single year, I felt like that created this, like, you know, a bigger divide between the haves and have nots in terms of the elite quarterbacks because those guys could kill those defenses even more so, and you had less parody where it was like the same you know, three or four quarterbacks won the Super Bowl every year, right, Is that kind of what you're getting at?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And you know, just because there was three or four guys challenging for five thousand yards doesn't mean the overall quality of quarterback play was better. There was a lot of bad quarterback play in that era as well. So I think there are some like we're moving towards an era where there's a lot younger quarterbacks playing, and yeah, yeah, the quarterback play is not gonna be that great from the younger guys. But I just think at the top end, we're just seeing things that we've never seen before.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was one of the odd ones out in terms of I didn't really care for the you know, high forties to low forties scores. I like a good twenty seven to twenty four game personally. I think it makes for more entertainment with both sides have a chance to win their particular you know drive like a defensive stop or a touchdown on the offense.
Speaker 2: So good stuff.
Speaker 3: I do want to pivot to a team that I hope is on the verge of finding their high scoring offense once again, as the Dolphins have scored twenty seven, twenty seven, and twenty three points in their three games since the return of Twu a Tongua bai Loa. And you know, we're a little bit lucky here with the timing of this taping for Dolphins and Raiders, because I had originally asked you to do the show, and we weren't sure who the quarterback was gonna be. But we did get word earlier this afternoon that it will be Gardner Minshew. My obligatory go Koogs mentioned here on the podcast in the show that he will start on Sunday, Can you take us through what his Raiders.
Speaker 2: Experience has been like?
Speaker 3: Because watching his tape, like, it doesn't seem that similar to what I remember back from the Mike Leach days WSU or much less even the Colt slash Yer and Shane Steiken. Like, how has the benching that the three times being benched this year, how has that kind of impacted this offense? And what do you think the offense looks like under Gardner Minshew?
Speaker 5: Well, it's interesting because Gardner might break the record for most benchings in one the beginning of the year, it was kind of a battle between him and Aidan O'Connell and it O'Connell is more of a timing based quarterback.
Speaker 4: You guys remember seeing him last year.
Speaker 5: He performed pretty well against the Dolphins defense, which was playing at a pretty high level with the Vic Fangio at the time, but they decided to go with the Garden minshewe Minshew has a little bit more capability. He's a little bit more aggressive when it comes to downfield passing. But just in this offense with the offensive line struggling as much as it has His tendency to hold the ball really hurt this offense. He you know, he just is not a good rhythm passer. He likes to kind of hold onto the ball. He likes really clean pictures. He's not great in muddy pockets. So if you can protect him, then yeah, you know he's gonna be that air raid quarterback that you know, passes the ball all over place. He kind of saw that in with the Baltimore Ravens. But as soon as he starts getting pressure, that's when he starts seeing him getting in trouble, kind of moving into pressure, just not seeing the field very clearly, which is why he has benched so many times. And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a Desmond Ridder.
Speaker 4: Package put in his game.
Speaker 5: They as soon as they signed him, they put him in in one play for his own rea, and then they obviously played them a lot against the Bengals. So just because Minshew's starting, I would I wouldn't you know, I think the Dolphins should be prepared for Desmond Ritterer option package.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's tough to come in and get an offense down what three or four weeks that he's been there, So that makes perfect sense. And it's funny you mentioned that because, like I was, again writing it in my game preview script, I was, I was taking a look at you know Minshew now versus what I saw at WSU, and like he had that you know Leech's twelve plays on a napkin, that he had that offense, he had that down Patt and he played with really good timing and rhythm of those offenses. But you watch him for the Raiders, like you mentioned, there was a play against the Chiefs down around the goal line where like he ran into pressure when there was a pretty good pocket on a critical fourth down play. So I'm like, I don't recognize that quarterback at all. So I hopefully this week he doesn't figure it out, but long term I hope he does because I love Garterer Minshew. Either way, the Raiders bring one of the more interesting offensive lineups into the game or across the league, I should say, into this game in the sense that they have really two number one tight ends, and I think we'll get Michael Mayer back this week. You can correct what I'm wrong there, But between he and back Bowers, who's become already a top you know, two or three tight end in the NFL at this point, what kind of challenges as an offense that does have two pillars and that twelve personnel grouping, How can they challenge this Dolphins defense, provided they do have Bowers and Mayor available.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the plan coming into this year was for them to be a very heavy twelve personnel team. But the problem is when you can't run, block, and the Raiders are actually the most inefficient running team in a league. If you look at rushing success rate, their bottom of league and it's not even close. So if you can't run the ball, then teams aren't really going to respect your tight ends.
Speaker 4: So just because you put out twelve.
Speaker 5: Personnel doesn't mean they're going to put their base personnel with their linebackers on a field. They're going to match the twelve personnel with nickel personnel. And when they match with you with nickel personnel, you don't get those advantages. You don't get those mismatches with those tight ends and linebackers, which is the big problem the Raiders had. So Bowers actually was a lot more sucessful when they were an eleven personnel and he was just on his own and he like he's blown away expectations. Like I thought he's gonna be good, but I didn't think he was going to be already one, like a top five tight end just off the bat. And he's a lot better of a blocker than even I gave him credit for coming out of Georgia. You know, he's not going to devastate guys on every play, but I would say he's an above average blocker, which I think a lot of people did not think he would be. Michael Mayer is a guy who was a second round pick last year and he really struggled in run blocking and he kind of developed as a receiver as a year went along. But the hope for him this year is that he could really be that inline blocker that could really help out Bowers on the outside so he doesn't have to stay in a block all the time. And we didn't have enough of a sample size this year because he just didn't play that much this year to see if that was true. So he is active and been backup practice. I don't know if it's been confirmed that he's going to be playing this game just yet, but the biggest thing for Michael Mayer is if he can develop at the blocker, because, like I said, they really need the defense to respect the run game for twelve person out the Raiders twelve personnel to really be as efficient and explosive as can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, that tracks, and the fact that he hasn't been you know, in the game recently probably makes it tougher to implant him, especially with you know, a change of oc as well. There so lots of new for the Raiders coming into this game. The Dolphins trying to find their groove as they look to get to four and six and kind of back into the mix of things here to kind of finish up on that side of the football.
Speaker 2: I was telling you before he got in the air.
Speaker 3: Here, Ted writ's really good, complex in depth detailed stories on schemes and coaches and different things that teams do across the league. And you had a great piece about Patrick Graham's defense, and I'll talk about here in just one second, but I want to talk about the Dolphins defense because we got one of the many offshoots of the Mike McDonald defensive tree from Baltimore last year, and reviews are in so far. We love Anthony weaver Man, what have you noticed about his defense and how they've been able to do a lot about what you talked about with Patrick Graham, where he can consistently change the picture post nap with different checks in and disguises.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've watched the TV copy of the game. I didn't really get a chance to break down anty we Rece defense, especially to Rams, yet I did see a few plays. But you know, I think the main thing with the McDonald defense is it does take a little bit of time to really learn. But once once you learn it, then you could take off because initially you have to learn. The big thing with this defense is you have to learn everybody else's job jobs, so you're not just learning your job, you're learning what this guy does because they want to be able to just move guys around. They want to be able to run a ton of different things from the same front. So once you get that down and you understand each concept as a whole, then you can really start mixing and matching and playing fast. And I think that's where the point that the Dolphins are arriving at. McDonald's defense really struggled when he first got to Baltimore. But then after I think after the bye week, that's where they started taking off. And I think we're seeing a silver thing in Miami where the defense is really starting to learn the system and learning how to mix and match, and then now you can really confuse quarterbacks and really play those games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really fun to watch because they were able to wheel like Cater Coohoo for instance, to play the slot. He wheel back into one of the half field responsibilities in the deep you know, the covered show, And they were using Javon Holland all over the field down on the fit as a rusher, and just lots of fun stuff. I think you'll have a good time watching that tape when you get to it. And not to mention Jordan Brooks, my goodness, he is bawn out right now.
Speaker 2: How about the.
Speaker 3: Other side of the ball here, Ted, because the Raiders, you know, I'm curious how they want to attack to it, because they had one of the better showings in terms of holding Miami last year when they were going, you know, for thirty points every week about they held them to just twenty points in that game. And you know, we see teams commit to keeping the roof on the defense against Miami, like even more so than ever before. What do you think that Patrick Graham has cooked up in this for an ascending Dolphins offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we'll see some similar themes from the Rams game. When I talked to Patrick Graham about last year's game, he talked a lot about emphasizing stopping the outside runs, forcing them to be inside run team, and changing the pictures in different ways against it. You know, like, for example, this is very nuanced, but when you rotate the safety downs at the box, usually as a weak side rotation, but they would switch it up onto it and go strong side rotation, and you know, just having him pause for that extra little half a second so he doesn't get that timing passed down work for them. So I think we'll see some of that. The Rams did a pretty good job. I think they played a lot of just regular cover two, but those linebackers were just inside the hash marks and just making sure not to give up those inside breaking routes and forcing him to throw outside. And two actually did a really good job of extending plays and getting the secondary to break down a little bit, which we we haven't seen a lot of him do a lot of. But he did a great job of it against the Rams, So I think we'll see a lot of that.
Speaker 4: I think we'll see a lot of games up front, you know.
Speaker 5: I think the weakness of this Dolphins off the line is just the interior and some of the communication with the interior and Max Crosby's so good on those stunts. So I think we'll see a lot of games late in the later passing downs. And yeah, I think we'll see a lot of wide nines. You know, maybe we'll see linebackers walked up to the edge. They do that a lot with Divine Diabolo, the inside linebacker, where they'll have the line shift one way and they'll have Diabolo play up on the line in the two point stance.
Speaker 4: And against this run game, you know, I think we'll see a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 3: It was a challenging second core for the Dolphins against that Rams attack. And to your point, I mean they they had to work in a new right tackle in that game, and Kendall Lamb as Austin Jackson missed his first game of the year, and then Rob Jones had to exit right halftime tooously, so they were down two linemen that can obviously always cause confusion with your communication and.
Speaker 2: How you pick those things up.
Speaker 3: Just real quick before my last question here, Ted, I'm curious because I was looking at True Media and the usage of different defensive personnel packages, and it had Nickel for the Raiders at like sixty percent, dime was it like eight percent? And then they didn't have any percentages for any base packages or for dime or even or quarter defense. And I'm curious, like, what does it look like from a pre snap of lineman? Is it the old Patrick Graham that I knew from twenty nineteen where it's a lot of seven and eight defensive back packages.
Speaker 5: I think the problem is the Raiders don't have a lot of good linebackers, so they don't want to put their base personnel on the field a lot. They had Diablo who was out for a long time, and after Diablo, there's really no depth of Robert Splain's a pretty good linebacker, but every other linebacker that had to fill in it.
Speaker 4: Just hasn't been good.
Speaker 5: So when you have to put a third linebacker out there, it's just not very advantageous for the Raiders. And Nate Hobbs is one of the Raiders' best players, and he's the nickel and he's a very physical slot defender, so I think they feel like he you know, he's he could hold up against a run. So yeah, I think we're gonna see a lot of nickel. They did play with some three safety packages when Marcus Epps was healthy, but Marcus Epps out for the season, so pal Maw their third safety is now starting safety. So I don't think we'll see a lot of three safety or big nickel looks. I think, you know, nicol is probably the personnel package you'll you'll see most against the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: All Right, interesting to take a look at that and see if alec ingolds available to because he changes the way this Dolphins offense runs big time.
Speaker 2: Ted, appreciate your time, man.
Speaker 3: I think I just realized that just Win podcast is actually a play on your last name.
Speaker 2: That was intentional, Right.
Speaker 4: No, it isn't.
Speaker 5: I actually voted on a different name and my podcast hosts one of that name, and I was like, all right, that works with me.
Speaker 4: It kind of sounds like my last name.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you could have spelled with the last win.
Speaker 3: With the way you spell your last name, there could have been a good opportunity there.
Speaker 2: It's available where you get your podcast from.
Speaker 3: You can read his commentary at the Athletic and follow him on social at FB Underscore Film Analysis.
Speaker 2: Ted, you're the best man. You said it all.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time today and we'll see you out here on Sunday, so prom Thanks for having me on and there he goes, first break of a long Friday episode.
Speaker 2: Right here.
Speaker 3: Come back on the other side with the week eleven picks. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoundation. One thing I'm going to start doing on the pick segments is talking about the ramifications of other games around the National Football League and who you, the Dolphins fan should be rooting for. It kind of reminds me and like I'm reminiscing about all the good times in the past and the build up to getting to this profession that I now call my career and my job, when I would just basically be online twenty four hours a day trying to get people to find my stuff, to interact with my content, to get myself in a position like this, and I would post those rooting guys or scouting guides every single Friday that gave you like Tua's game, Burrows game, Herbert's game, Jordan loves game, Jalen hurts his game. I think I was even doing Jake from which is one of my biggest draft misses of all time. I digress, and then I give you this the Dolphins games and the people that were competing for the Dolphins for the first pick of the draft. Like I was trying your best to make fun of a really rough season that year. And I think we did that back on the old Lockdown Dolphins podcast days. But I'm gonna do the same thing here on these shows because I think we're gonna get hot as all. You'll hear me talk with this with Kyle Krabs about this, and we because of our position. You know, last year was like trying to find out if the Ravens and Bills and Chiefs lost, trying to compete for position atop the conference. And now you're trying to basically outperform like seven teams competing for wild card positions.
Speaker 2: If you can get on a run, get hot, and go on a run. Here. So week eleven, we are one, twelve and forty right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's doing it again. He's doing live math on the show. That is one hundred and fifty duke games. One hundred and twelve wins divided by one hundred and fifty two games is a seventy three point six to eight percentage. So that's what I guess, seventy three point seven if you round up, or seventy four percent if you round up. All the way there on my picks so far, so we were having by far the best year I've ever had picking games. And it kicks off on Thursday. I already picked Washington. That one feels tough. I'm not really sure there's no Dolphins interest for you in that game. The Dolphins over the Raiders, doy the Browns over the Saints. If it doesn't have Dolphins interest, I'll just breeze right through it. I'm taking the Colts over the Jets, although that's probably the toughest pick for me of the week. Like I think the Jets are poised to get right in this one because the Colts are pretty bad. But I also feel like Richardson coming back kind of gets you that little bit of that, you know, interim coach or backup quarterback bump, even though he's the starting quarterback, but I feel like it could be re energized through him. I also just think with him and Jonathan Taylor against that Jets defense, they have a chance to go off against a very bad run defense. And this is where you should root against the colt But I really don't think they're gonna be a factor, so I'm not that concerned about it. The Vikings over the Titans, the Bear Packers over the Bears. I'll take the Lions over the Jags, the Rams over the Patriots, and then we get to the games that start to really matter for the Dolphins. The last one o'clock kickoff is Ravens. I think there's two more here, Ravens and Steelers, and that's the obvious root against the Steelers. I think some folks might have the Steelers win that division. I think no chance. I think they're gonna they're I've been hating on the Steelers all year, but I think they're finally gonna get some of the the come up ins that that team deserves with the roster and the way they play, because I think they're just beating bad teams by being good enough to win those games, which is it's a skill and it's set in its own self, but I just don't think they're one of those uper echelon teams at all. So root against the Steelers and all these AFC North games they have coming up.
Speaker 2: The Broncos and Falcons.
Speaker 3: Might be the biggest non Dolphins game on the schedule this week, just because the Broncos schedule like there's a lot of walking the park games on there, but they also have some tough games, and you know they're gonna get wiped with all the good teams they play because they're just some mediocre team. But this feels like one that could swing their sweeson the season the wrong direction. I'm worried about Cousins on the road in Denver. I haven't looked at the weather there, but if it's cold and the Old Bones start to tense up a little bit, don't love that. But I just don't think the Broncos are very good. So give me the give me the Broncos over the Falcons. I'm gonna pick them in this one because of the home field advantage, because of Old Bones Kirk in Denver, but I do really want the Falcons to win that game. It'd be a great set up for the Dolphins if they can get that result, and then the Niners over the Seahawks.
Speaker 2: I'll take the Bills over the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs are like due to get picked off, and I feel like the Bills are pretty damn good and a good team to make that happen.
Speaker 2: So Buffalo over KC.
Speaker 3: I don't know who you want to win in the Rape and the Bengals and Chargers game. I really don't because the Bengals have a have an easier slate and the Chargers have this Murderers Rose schedule coming up. But the Chargers also get like the Raiders and the Broncos and like shoot the Patriots. I think like there's a lot of like softies on that schedule, so you might need the Chargers to start stacking up some l's. But basically it comes down to this, like between the Chargers, the Bengals, the Broncos, and the Dolphins, Like one of those teams besides US, is going to be in, so like you pretty much have to root against one or the other.
Speaker 2: I think I.
Speaker 3: Want the Bengals to win, although you can make a case that burying Cincinnati at seven losses this early would be beneficial, But if the Chargers get the win, they might be able to get enough wins to get in.
Speaker 2: I'm not really sure right now.
Speaker 3: I think the Bengals conference records bad, but I don't so I don't really know. But I'm gonna pick the Bengals because I think Joe Burrows is just hot right now, and I think the Chargers are a total farce. I'll take the Texans over the Cowboys on Monday Night Football.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go.
Speaker 3: Ahead and take our last break right there, cut the music and get to Kyle Crabs in the next segment of the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation.
Speaker 2: Last week, he made his HQ debut.
Speaker 3: Now he's back on US or on Draft Time with us, I should say, the great Kyle Krabs. And you can't see the video this week because we're not on HQ right now, but pretty much we're on the same hoodie, my friend.
Speaker 2: That's a it's a good looking hoodie you got there.
Speaker 1: You know it's the calendar flips to November. It gets a little more chilly out. I know it's very chilly there Baptist South, So you got to have all your layers on there, but it's just naturally in the air up here where I'm at. So yeah, we're both on the athletic ware hoodies today and trying to stay more.
Speaker 3: I actually next on my shopping list here is a space heater for this room, which I know is going to make a lot of the folks in the Northeast, you know, probably label me a little bit soft. I don't mind that, but it is like sixty degrees back in these studios, so a space heater would go a long way for your boy. And the look I get on people's faces when I tell them like other beat reports, like when you come down here, make sure you bringing a jacket for the press box because it is also very chilly in the press box. And they don't they can't believe me. I mean, have you ever worn more than a T shirt to a Dolphins game, Kyle? No, maybe a home game, I should say.
Speaker 1: Maybe the season finale in twenty one with New England Patriots game where they they won and had the defensive touchdown there at the end, And that probably is the only time of not warn.
Speaker 2: A T shirt, you know, Kyle.
Speaker 3: We always cover a couple of points in the team that I find interesting talking to you about And I had a really good conversation with coach Weaver at his press conference earlier today recording this on a Thursday comes out on the Friday Draftime podcast talking about some structure stuff, and I want to get to that here in one second. But first, offensively, you know, you and I obviously text a lot about during the games after the games during the course of our film study, and you had said something to me as I was dialing up the offensive tape about how you felt there was extra meat on the bone offensively, and I thought the Dolphins were like so close, whether it was just a couple of drives that had takeaways or maybe one slip tackle here or there, to pretty much replicating their offensive production from the previous two games. And that paired with the defense's performance that was the best we've seen since maybe the Patriots game.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it was one of their best showings of the year.
Speaker 3: I'm curious when you look at where the meat left on the bone for the offense came from. What are you kind of talking about with that, and how do you think they can get to that immediately this week for the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think especially when you consider the Raiders and what you're going up against, a front that's a little banged up, no Christian Wilkins playing for them, Malcolm Koons's on irs. It was turned into a really nice second pass rusher for them. Max Crosby obviously is capable of wrecking a game plan all on his own, but I think without the other elements there, that was what really surprised me about and not surprised me, but I came away from really having a great deal of respect for the rams in the front that they had with Fisk and Turner and Verse, and these guys are they're all condensed players. They all play low, but they're all heavy handed, but they're also very dynamic players. And that being a step here, or a peel block there, or a little bit extra heavy hand from a tight end to assist an offensive tackle with getting his block secured at the point of attack.
Speaker 2: All those little things.
Speaker 1: It just felt like you were a step off from having more chunk plays and getting some explosives, particularly in the ground game where you had opportunities, and just when you have that many dynamic talents up front that are all young talents and the rest of the guys are flying to the ball the way that the Rams do. It's great team defense and it forces you to be methodical, and I think the yardage output probably would have looked a lot better if the Dolphins didn't have one possession in the third quarter. I didn't really realize that until I sat down and did like the full grading of the game. I'm like, oh, yeah, they had one possession here and they scored a touchdown on it, and that was really it for the third quarter for them. So I do think there will be opportunities against the Raiders, especially coming away with the respect that I have for the Rams front, I think there's some matchups Mimy can maybe be a little bit more keen to take advantage of this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy because you know, and I mentioned this my film review podcast, like the way teams are straining to get over the top of this Dolphins game, Like it's almost comical to me at times, how like the safety's like.
Speaker 2: Gotta gotta gotta gotta go, Like they get back there so fast.
Speaker 3: And that's obviously opened up some other areas of the field the Dolphins have exploited with this, you know, ball control offense. They now possess and like their possessions. It's like it's like seven, eight, ten in these last three games, and it's it's not what you're used to seeing with the Dolphins getting the ball eleven twelve times in a game.
Speaker 2: So that's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: And you know what is cool about the Travis I remember going all the way back to training camp and talking to like alick Ingold and some of the offensive linemen and Tyreek Hill about the nature of being less explosive, play reliant, and it was something like they talked about in July and August, being able to not shoot yourself in the foot and piece together like operationally clean drives. How many how many penalties has the offense had the last two weeks?
Speaker 2: It was none last week?
Speaker 1: I know that, right, So like the manifestation of that and seeing that, well, it's the timeline. Maybe is is not as crisp as everybody had with their aspirations for the season, But the fact that you're getting that proof of concept and the process of getting better as a team, I think that is one thing you look at as of late for Miami. You feel good about the trend and the trend line there.
Speaker 2: That's exactly why.
Speaker 3: And I try not to do this, but I've been doing it more lately where I interject a little more like long term content into my current content because I'm you know, we have games to play, and I think it's not too late. I obviously, like you're right up against being too late for playoff perspective, but like, I feel like they've gotten to that point that I was hoping it would happen back in Week one, and obviously losing your quarterback in the second game of the year probably stunts that growth a little bit. But that's why I'm excited about the final eight games and how I think they can get hot and go on a run. But like also like down the road, like the program's in place to have both those aspects of the system, to have the defense. You know, in the second year of Anthony we were that looks so damn good right now, Like I'm really bullish and the Dolphins going forward, which is a surprise to absolutely nobody who's ever heard my content, But like I I kind of see the vision coming together. Man, Like, are you with me on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think anytime you and Mike McDaniels alluded to this on a couple of occasions about like the job that Chris crew has as the general manager, as far as like balancing the long term and short term health and wellness of the football team. There have been some short term circumstances that you don't feel good about from a win loss perspective through nine games this season. But provided this thing continues to get better, I think that is part of where you focus your energy about. We feel better about being this being a sustainable piece of our program. What now needs to be added to this sustainable foundation that's been established to help take things to another level and move from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's just to a staying healthy and I feel really good about it if that is the case. I mentioned Anton, we were there and the growth here for the first what is it nine games his time as a Dolphins coach here, I keep losing track of how many games we played. Nine games, and you know there was a two game dip there against the Cardinals and Bills, and I think there's no coincidence there that it was Zach Seeler being down in Javon Holland and cater cohu being down some critical parts of the defense there and man watching that tape like Cater's got a bunch of roles man. And I asked coach Weaver about this today in his press conference regarding like, how do you what's the process of determining, you know, when you can use a player in more more versatile respects because he plays inside outside and he's even dropping into the deep half sometimes in those two high coverages. And it goes back to what I learned about this defense from, you know, the the Mike McDonald influence from Baltimore, where it's like everybody has to play like multiple positions so that no one knows who's coming where, and we were touched on that.
Speaker 2: It was really informative.
Speaker 3: I'm curious from your perspective after you know grinand the tape as you do, what's the what was the difference you saw in the structure of weavers defense with and without ninety two four and eight sealers Cohu and Holland.
Speaker 1: A lot more diverse as far as showing zero looks or pressure looks with Javon Holland on the second level and then he turns and bails out and he plays the high post and plays as the free safety and he's dropping out and he was on one side of the line of scrimmage and he's I in two who's running vertical on the other side of the formation, and he's like stacking him. Like when you have guys that can do that, or you can invert cater from the nickel and push him and now he's gonna play the deep half. And what flexibility that gets you to have a corner push inside or a safety that rolls down to kind of trap that area the field where Miamis has developed this reputation of where they want to throw between the numbers and the hash at eight to fifteen yards, right. It just the ways in which they changed the picture against the Rams pre snap to post snap really stood out to me. And then the guys inside, I mean the entire defensive front, everybody coming into the game against the Rams. You found out that Steve Abila was gonna be back as a second round pick for the Rams, and Jodah Jackson got a sixteen plus million dollar a year contract for them. They had Kevin Dotson who got a sixteen plus million dollar year contract for them, And it was really an area where just organic rush felt like it was what you were missing in the two week regression. Defensively, Zack Steeler comes back, You're much less pressure reliant. You can get Kalayis more fresh, and have Zach out there and platoon those guys with Deshaun Han who's turning into a really nice player for the Dolphins, Chop Robinson and his emergence. Like the number the blitz frequency against the Rams was way down, but like even the subtleties of like when they're gonna bring Jordan Brooks on a second level pressure, but it's actually a simulated pressure because Tyas Bowser is going to drop out off the end of the line of scrimmage and take a hook responsibility and cover two. Zack Sealer has that savvy of when he runs his pick stunt, he kind of gets his arm wrapped around Steve Avila's shoulder and kind of holds him in place so that Brooks gets a free run to the quarterback to force a check. All those little details and things were littered all over that tape. And when you have a blend of guys that are dynamic and a blend of guys that are savvy in the way that Zach and Klayus are, I think that that's what made it such a good game tape performance for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We he's going to be a head coach someday and I'm looking forward to that opportunity for him. I just hope it's not next year because I want another year. If this guy call on this defense, I mean a thirty six year old quarterback who's going to the Hall of fam my opinion, who's played for sixteen years and has had four years in this system with Sean McVay, and he looked like a young quarterback like and that's that's something we haven't seen a lot of with his Dolphins defenses over the years, even when they were producing at a high level, like the top line, quarterbacks have usually been able to produce against the Dolphins defense. And that was a situation where you shut down a star quarterback in a big, big way. Speaking of young quarterbacks, man, we talked about the Alba L LSU game last week, and I freaking love Jaln Milroe. Dude. He is I know, always got some some wards here and there, but I or the passing. Yeah, dude, he reminds me so much of Lamar as a collegiate. But whether it's Alabama, LSU or otherwise. What you got, man, this is usually your time to shine here on the show. I've enjoyed talking more Dolphins with you this year. But let's get into the college weekend on tap here.
Speaker 1: I am selfishly gonna go with a game that has the home team favored by almost three touchdowns, as like my favorite game of the weekend to Mexico Boston College at SMU. SMU suddenly the lone undefeated team in the ACC. But Boston College has an edge rusher Donovan Izuraku, who is one of the most proficient pass rushers in the country on the edge, and they're going against an SMU team that defensively has some names that I would imagine University of Miami fans are going to recognize, like Jafari Harvey, Jared Harrison, Hunt, Elijah Roberts. These are all transfers from Miami that are starting at SMU and they're balling. They got a great defensive front. So just for if you like defensive line play and dynamic athletes and guys that could go in any range of like I'saraku I think could go in the first round. I think most of the other names like Roberts and Harvey and Harrison Hunt are probably mid round guys, but like I fell in love with Elijah Roberts tape has just kind of stumbled onto it. Watching SMU, I'm like, what's this team that's scoring all these points and beating all these good teams about And it's like, Oh, they went out hit the transfer portal hard and they get a bunch of guys that have a ton of talent. So that's the game that I'm watching this week from a college football standpoint.
Speaker 2: Great shout out for the edge group there. Obviously the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: I talked about all the time how fast the NFL comes at you, Like, I feel like just a year and a half ago we had the deepest edge group and right now we are so banged up with that spot that it's a position you look at and why Kyle does such great job evaluating the draft for not just the Dolphins but all thirty two teams and trying to have that team building aspect of always being aware of what your roster is today and what it could be tomorrow. So check out his work there. You can find him on social at Grinding the Tape. The thirty third team Draft Lee, locked on NFL Scouting, Locked on Dolphins Podcast, and of course touchdown Miami substack. He also deadlifts four oh five and squat six sixty, and he grills a really mean rack of ribs.
Speaker 2: Kyle, you said it all man, You're the best. You do it all dicks. Thanks Travis, and away he goes.
Speaker 3: If you couldn't tell by his voice at the end, I was trying very hard to get a smirk out of our very straight lace Kyle krabs, and he kind of did laugh there a little bit. So good on me, good on us, good on you, Good on Dolphins fans Nation, Good on Dolphins. Wiping the floor with the Raiders on Sunday, let's go ahead and call it a podcast. We'll be with you guys on Sunday right around eight o'clock or so. I cannot wait to wipe the floor with the Las Vegas Raiders and then get on my couch after all the work has been done, the hay is all in the barn, and watch Bengals and Chargers. Like I talked about it earlier, I would love to see you the Chargers get destroyed in that game. Quite frankly, even if it's not what might be best for ours our wildcard hopes.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a tricky one either way.
Speaker 3: But we'll have the podcast for you guys right around eight o'clock or so, and then of course on Monday the All twenty two review, as we do every single week, and we'll do it all again for the next seven weeks after that as well. You all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast. Where ready to get your podcast from, go ahead and follow me on social that's at bluesk or at wings NFL on blue skuy and Twitter for x whatever the hell it's called, as well as Instagram and everywhere else. Go ahead and check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Jue. Check out the YouTube channel for a brand new episode of Dolphins HQ, Media Availabilities, game recaps and so much more. Last button, not least Mimi Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, fins up, Coln and Cameron Daddy