Speaker 1: Pushkin hay Slight Changers. I can't believe I get to say this, but Brenee Brown is launching my new book, The Other Side of Change into the World. Join me for an exclusive virtual conversation with Brene on the eve of my book launch, January twelfth, at eight pm Eastern. Brene's work has shaped my understanding of resilience, and I'm delighted that she believes in this book as much as I do. You can register for the event at the link in the show notes or at changewithmaya dot com slash launch. The event is open to anyone who has pre ordered the book from any retailer in the US. Are limited and registration closes on December fourteenth, so sign up soon, and if you can't make the event live, don't worry, a recording will be sent to everyone who signs up. I can't wait to see you there. Okay, Now onto Zarna Garg.
Speaker 2: People have always said that I'm funny. That is one thing I've had my whole life, and my whole life, I was a great. Of all the gifts that I could have gotten, I got this funny. What are you doing? Funny? Nothing?
Speaker 1: When Zarna garg was growing up in Mumbai, her ability to make people laugh didn't register as a valuable skill, but today she is one of the most in demand comedians in America. She's open for people like Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, and has starred in two solo comedy specials. Zarna first step foot on a comedy stage when she was forty four years old, and she's quickly become known for her irreverence style.
Speaker 2: A little about me. I'm an immigrant. I'm here to take your jobs. Wat job, Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: But she doesn't just take risks on stage. What's defined her success in life is a high tolerance for discomfort and a steadfast trust in her own instincts.
Speaker 2: Courage is a learned behavior. Nobody gave it to me. I have to give it to me. A lot of people say I just don't have it in me, as if other people just got it and they didn't. It's not like that. You can learn courage the way you learned to walk.
Speaker 1: On Today's show, why It's never too late to bet on yourself. I'm Maya Shunker, a scientist who studies human behavior, and this is a slight change of plans a show about who we are and who we become in the face of a big change. I first encountered Zarna while scrolling YouTube one day and instantly found her both relatable and hilarious.
Speaker 2: Everywhere you know. My eleven year old son came home from school the other day and he goes, mom, my, teth. School has asked me to declare my pronouns. What should I say? I said, you tell them you are Indian. Your pronoun is doctor.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know much about her personal story and how exactly she scaled comedy heights until I read her best selling memoir, This American Woman. As I would come to learn, Zarna's courage to determine her own path was a reaction to a life she knew she didn't want. Zarna grew up in India in the nineteen eighties in a well to do family. Things were comfortable, but she always felt that her rebellious, outspoken personality type ran against the cultural norms in her family. Things came to a head when she was fourteen and her dad told her it was time for an arranged marriage.
Speaker 2: I just didn't want it. Look I thought I had the choice. I assumed that I'm being asked do I want to do it? So that was the first big wake up call that no one was asking me. I was being told that this is what we're doing, and that if I didn't want it, then that means I got to figure out my own life somewhere else. My dad couldn't understand what my problem was, and in his mind, he was asking for a very reasonable thing. He's like, you would have gotten married at sixteen seventeen anyway, All my siblings were married before they turned twenty, and often in the arranged setting. To be very crass about it, if you're younger, you get a better deal. In fact, many people back then didn't understand what my problem was, including women, including a lot of my aunts who were arranged themselves. They were like, you know, he's going to find a nice guy for you, Like why are you fighting this so much?
Speaker 1: If you could articulate exactly what you were rejecting when you were rejecting your father's decision to give you an arranged marriage, what were you rejecting? What were you resisting?
Speaker 2: What my father was offering me was security, Like we will place you in a situation where you will be secure, and your baseline will be determined, like the floor is set. But what I saw was that along with the floor, the ceiling is set, because this family is now going to decide what I can and cannot do. And I remember thinking, I'm going to bet that I can do better than whatever this is, Like, why do I need somebody to set the ceiling for me? Why can't I determine my own ceiling? I mean, I remember reading about women who were lawyers and doctors and things, king like why can't I be one of those people. I remember reading in a lot of different places that life is a gamble. You don't know how it's gonna work. I remember thinking to myself that if life is a gamble, I will gamble on myself.
Speaker 1: That's so beautifully said. I'm going to better myself, But.
Speaker 2: I had no basis for it. Just so people know, had no I had no business believing in myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's a bad.
Speaker 2: As to lead anybody to believe that they should believe in me, or me should believe in myself.
Speaker 1: You said that you knew if you rejected your dad's I was going to say advice, but it's not advice. His proclamation of how things ought to happen, how things were going to happen, you would need to find your own way in your life. Tell me about what the conversation looked like in which you said no, I don't want this, and what followed.
Speaker 2: I so clearly remember him saying I am done parenting. I am done. So when he said, well, if you don't want to do this, you can't live here anymore, I think he thought, oh, well, she's going to go to a friend's house for one night, and then she's going to come back and reality will hit and then we'll be back on track for his agenda. I think what neither of us expected is how big headed both of us were going to be about it. And I certainly did not think that he would dig in his heels as hard as he did. Like my extremely Western oriented influenced mind, I was like, is he crazy? Like why is this an issue? I'm just I'm home, I'm doing my school work. Like I wasn't, Like even though I was a rebellious kid, I wasn't creating problems for anybody. Yeah, like people need to know, Like it's not because in America, when a teen is rebellious, you're like assuming all these like is she getting pregnant? I was reading the newspaper exact like to me, it was like he has to come around, like this cannot be my only option. But it pretty much was in his eyes.
Speaker 1: What was that period like? And how long did it last? How did you survive outside of your home?
Speaker 2: You know, when you're a teenager and you have a life full of friends, You're like, fine, I'll go stay with my friend. We've been trying to do sleepovers for the last year. And when I left, I left with the mindset that this is gonna blow over and in the meantime, I will stay with my friends and figure it out. I think reality hit me when after two days my best friend's mom said, I think you need to go home. And that's when I was like, oh no, Like where am I gonna go? Like what home? You know, because I when I left, my dad was very clear that you're not coming back here unless you're ready to fall into line with the plan. And then it became a story of like, let me try this friend, and let me try this auntie, and who lives nearby and who is a commutable distance and how am I going to get there? Things that I had never worried about until then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you ever fearful during this extended period because at the time you thought it was a transient state, Right, I'm going to be back in a couple of days. But as the months and the years passed, what did you feel being away from your family?
Speaker 2: I was lonely. I was very consumed by like what is happening? Like how did my life go so off track in one day? I felt like no one is ever going to understand what I want in life, like nobody in India certainly. Yeah, I was trying. My sister, who lived in Ohio, was trying to get me a visa. I was trying to get myself a visa to come to the US to study, because if I made it to my sister's house, she was willing to take me in and I would be safe and secure for a while. But coming to America is not so easy as an Indian, you know, as an Indian person, especially somebody with no parents lobbying for them, no paperwork really, So even though I had sent out all kinds of things into the universe and my sister was trying, I didn't think it was gonna happen. Nothing was materializing. I was so exhausted. I feel like there's a part of that exhaustion that will never leave my body. At that point, I had exhausted every relative, every friend, every human being I knew in Mumbai to take me in to host me. You know. I was like, there's no endgame, Like he's won. So when I went back, I was like, Okay, maybe I should channelize my efforts into go with his plan. But how to make it the best plan for me?
Speaker 1: Okay, so optimize the suboptimal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, maybe the guy is not as bad as my brain is imagining him to. Maybe the circumstances can be bettered than what they throw up. And the initial negotiation of the arrangement, because there was just nothing left, I had given up. I was like, this is it, Like I can't fight this anymore.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, at some point you just stopped the resistance because it's too tiring.
Speaker 2: You just don't have an end game, Like there was nothing, There was no door opening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sasarn, I mean your story could have just sort of ended there. But you secretly got a visa without anyone knowing. You packed a bag, you picked up the visa, you got on a plane, you're not staying with your sister. And what's so interesting to me is that this counterfactual life of which you knew so little. I'm going to literally pack my bags move across the world with no plan whatsoever, still felt like the better bet than the one that your dad had paid for you. Yeah, so tell me more about how you thought about that trade off and where you found that fearlessness.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm telling you it was not fearlessness, it was but desperation. I was surrounded by women who did not understand be or my curiosity my whole life. They didn't understand why I wanted to read a newspaper every day. They didn't understand why I wanted to work, Like, why would anybody want to be a lawyer when you can be home and running a home. I realized that if I get married in that setting, that's who I'm going to become, because that's what that system creates. You could see it, it could see it in all the women around me. They were not unhappy women. Just to be clear, they were affluent women. They had all the money in the world to shop and eat out and all the things that we would consider markers of a good life, right, But I was a kid that hated shopping, like I don't belong in that world. Even here, I remember always being the one thinking, this feels like this whole thing is not serving the women. It's serving somebody, It is not serving them. Yeah. It was that that feeling of keep me away from this that gave me courage to pursue that other thing, like whatever that other thing was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then over the next three decades, you build this really beautiful life in the US. Right, You go to college, you marry your now husband, you work as an attorney, and you become a stay at home mom to your three kids. How in the world, Sarna did stand up comedy, of all things, become a realistic career option.
Speaker 2: But it was not. I'm still not sure it is. I tried and failed at so many things, like so many things, like I was a matchmaker for a minute. Was so bad, Oh my god, it was terrible. Matchmaking is a whole job of just basically telling women it's not too late. That's it. That's the whole job. Ninety percent of it is that, I'm telling you, being honest. I tried a cooking, a vegan chili business because I'm vegetarian and trying to be always. I used to take my kids for a lot of the things that I was trying. One so they gave me courage, and two because I wanted them to learn. I wanted them to see that your mom is trying new things and it's okay, and she might fail, and that's also okay.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: But my daughter, I think when she was with me on many of these trips, started noticing. She's like, Mom, you know. I think what turned it for her was she saw a guy who bought my chili once because we were talking for a long time, and then as soon as I turned it around, he threw the chili away. And I think it was an aha moment in my daughter's mind that, like, he paid all that money because he wanted to hear what she was saying. He had no interest in the chili. It's her stories that are the product. Then she started making notes like all their kids have been hanging out at our house for years. They're like, all these kids who have broken relationships or bad grades or whatever, they love hanging out with my mom because she's going to make them laugh about it, and she's gonna make them feel better about it. My son, who at the time was fourteen or fifteen, said to me, Mom, when I tell my friends your stories, they stop dead in their tracks. They want to hear more. Now these are fifteen year old boys. They don't want to hear about anything. Of all the people that you can try to get attention from, try to get a fifteen year old boy who's although I obsessed with sports, that happening.
Speaker 1: That's the true marker of success. That is the pressure test.
Speaker 2: And then my daughter did this whole birthday gift experiment. You know, she reached out to people I've known my whole life and said, can you write a line or two about my mom? It's for her birthday. I'm making a gift. And she stuffed this whole water dispenser that I had been wanting for my kitchen, and instead of stuffing it with water and lemons and all that, she stuffed it with notes from people about what they had to say about me. And overwhelmingly the notes were like, she's funny, She's hilarious. She made us laugh. That is one thing I've had my whole life. People have always said that I'm funny, and my whole life I was like, great, of all the gifts that I could have gotten, I got this funny. What are you doing with funny? Nothing? Useless?
Speaker 1: Do you remember what your first jokes were about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. My first joke was about how I came to America with nine dollars in my pocket. Ten thousand in the bank, but nine in the pocket, because there is truth to that. In my life. I came to America as a broke teenager, It's true, but my sister took me in in a big way and she was living a good life. So in some way, I relate to both sides of being an immigrant. I relate to being that broke person who has nothing, but I've also intimately seen the life where you come in and work and get that American dream very quickly. Yeah, so my life experience is actually the range.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: In New York, you know, we all go to charitable events and people talk about where they give money and the effects of that charity. Often in those rooms, I'm the only one who received charity for many, many years and then found a seat on the table. So when I wrote that joke, I actually meant both sides of it, And then I wrote a lot of jokes of my mother in law. Oh my god, I remember. One of the earliest jokes I remember was like, my mother in law asked my husband because he brought me to meet her, right we were not arranged. She was like, I got you a jacket at Brooks Brothers for her. And it feels so rude and grasp but it's like and then I built it into how crazy she is, but we all are. I probably will be about my son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm not in denial about that. I want to know. Did you feel at all constrained by having an Indian heritage and being concerned about offending people, feeling like certain categories were off limits.
Speaker 2: No? And I tell you why, because I have thought about it. I've been penalized for being brutally honest my whole life. In some way, I just don't know how else to be like I don't the only other setting is off Like me, I don't say anything. I just don't have it in me to not observe what my eyes are seeing and then talk about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that part of you, and I so resonate with it. My Mom's always like, you know, there's things you can choose not to share right, man to share? Yeah, exactly, But I'm like, say it, but my factory settings are to fully disclose every little thought I'm thinking all the time. It dries my mom crazy because she's much more of that discretion and privacy, and I've never known that setting. In any case.
Speaker 2: The idea that this is our culture is entirely a male construct, like men that I now have a thing in my head, and I've taught my kids to do this. If somebody says this is our culture, replace the word culture, but this is how our men like it, because culture was created by the men. The women didn't have any say anyway. And then once you replace the words with how men like it, it starts to look absurd, like why do I care how they like it?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent? So your first experience with stand up was an open mic night at a Mexican restaurant called Plia Dettes. Okay, if you can travel back to the moment when you are prepping for this set and you're about to come out backstage, what was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like? It was great. I no one expected it to be anything.
Speaker 1: Well expectations that's great, Yes, my kids.
Speaker 2: I was so irritated that my kids were making me do this, So I was like, all right, fine, my five friends will come and will whatever clap about the mother in law being blah blah and whatever. Like. There was no there was no anxiety because there was nothing to lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you weren't worried that your jokes would fall flat or that you know, you wouldn't get people to laugh. That just wasn't a concern.
Speaker 2: I've never heard it about that. Okay, I have a reputation in the business. Some of the toughest jobs come to me and I take them. My shows are filled with kids who don't drink. Kids are very tough, but I take them all in. I can handle it. I've made kids laugh for twenty years as a mom. I can do this. Yeah. I never like, I know what it takes. I know, I just I've never questioned it. I don't question it now.
Speaker 1: To your point, like the version of comedy you want to do is actually the version that everybody loves, and there is nothing more satisfying in the world than when the authentic version is the thing that resonates most of people.
Speaker 2: I think that what you're saying is so true and people need to hear it because we spend so much time becoming something that we think we need to be that we don't spend enough time just acknowledging who we are. And maybe there's a big space for that.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a moment with a slight change of plans. I want to know what you feel. Comedy offered you as a person that other things didn't.
Speaker 2: Comedy saved me without a question. Comedy put food on my table thirty years ago, when I didn't even know it was a business.
Speaker 1: When you're trying to catch surf, you're saying, like to invite yourself to these friends homes and stay other catches.
Speaker 2: People invited me in because they knew I will make the dinner table fun. Who do we want? When you plan a party? Who do you want? You want somebody who's going to make the room light, make the room fun. Who's gonna who's gonna make your other guests feel welcome? Who's gonna make you feel relaxed. Comedy is a weapon. It's an art, it's a it's a therapy, it's a medicine, it's everything. Comedy gave me things before I even knew it was giving it to me. Honestly, these are all things I've realized upon reflection. I had no awareness of it even five years ago, that that's what my life was. A lot of comics say to me, They're like, where did you come from? It's like you fell out of the sky six years ago, And I'm like, I, it's true. I stepped foot on a comedy stage six years ago. Since then, I have two specials out into the world on major streaming platforms. I have a book, I have a how is this happening so fast? It's happening so fast because I've had comedy in me my whole life. Yeah, we just didn't do it on a stage.
Speaker 1: Comedy was a way of life, and I've used it.
Speaker 2: Like when I write, I write more material than any comic. I know why, because it comes so naturally to me. I can no CrowdWork for an hour and a half, not a single written joke, and no problem.
Speaker 1: It's I love that you say that, because I really resonate in my own space. People say, oh, cognitive science has fueled your love of humans. I say, no, no, no, I am a cognitive scientist because I've been inherently fascinated by other people's minds from the time I was a little kid trying to crack open the nut, trying to understand what lights people up, what gets them to feel fearful. You know, I've been asking these questions since I was little. That is what has led me to be a cognitive scientist formally. But little Maya was a budding cognitive scientist and the time she was so.
Speaker 2: Taking it in and analyzing it your whole life. You know. In Hindi, there's a very popular Hindi movie Silsilla. It was a very popular and controversial love triangle back in the day. In that movie, the wife asks the husband, who has now discovered that the woman is in love with another man. She asks him, how did you know? And he he says in Hindi kayama kinzer, which means the person who loves something, they look from a different They look with an intensity that you cannot match when there's no love there. Yeah, that's what you're describing. You're trying to decode this from such a raw cerebral space since your childhood that it's not it's not explainable to normal people. It's not explainable in a way that academics would be like oh you got an A plus in this class. It's not about all those things. And I'm like that in comedy we are definitely kindred spirits because I didn't even know what a joke was when I started writing like ten jokes a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that you or maybe read you literally googled what is a joke? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know what a cognitive scientist was when I was growing up. I was like, what is this. I don't know what this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just did it. There wasn't design. I mean I certainly not in my case. I mean I fell into it. I resisted it for the longest time.
Speaker 1: Is there a moment that you can remember in the last several years where you really felt vulnerable or there was some pain associated with this whole trajectory.
Speaker 2: Every day? Look, I today, I am the breadwinner in my family. My husband lost his job during COVID, and we live a very big life. We have three kids. One just finished college, one is in college, and one is going to high school. When the college tuition is due, I have a panic attack that I'm going to pay this by selling short tickets. Like what you know, it's a tremendous responsibility to take, and aside from the financial responsible, it's emotional responsibility because my husband is looking to me for courage. We're both immigrants, we don't have anybody here when he feels down and out, it's my trajectory is giving him hope that he's going to find his way back. My daughter now works with me, so I can't I can't lose my cool around her because I need to be strong for her. But privately, do I get anxiety attacks all the time. One thing that I've done is I've started scheduling my panic attacks, Like I'm so busy that I've now said, okay, January second and lunchtime, I'm going to panic about this thing because until then I just need to get through this holiday slate of shows.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I cannot afford just today's interview fall on a skettle panic attack day? Are we good?
Speaker 2: Today? We're on a really good day because I'm.
Speaker 1: Not wonderful, wonderful, like do you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean? Like? Of course, I at that dark places every day every day. I'm fifty years old. I didn't know that I started comedy later in life until I was on a news segment and somebody looked at me and said, you started comedy late at life, and I was like, I did, Like it didn't occur to me until that point because I was so busy just going. But I'm very laser focused in that way. When I have a goal, that's all I'm chasing, Like I'm not thinking about the noise around it. Single minded fact that I remember coming home and thinking, Wow, I did start late, and now what if I never make it? And what if? You know, I'm in the entertainment business as a fifty year old woman trying to sell a TV show and a movie, and every day I get reminded that this is it's gonna be a fight, all right.
Speaker 1: I want more of these Zarna anti tips. Other than scheduling your panic attacks, what else do you do to manage that kind of existential worry.
Speaker 2: One is I learned to take a break and not quit. You there will be a time where you're like, I just cannot do this today, and everybody is gonna have to understand whatever that this is. Yeah, because you're gonna have an endless slate of there's always an episode to record, there's always a person to meet. At some point, you're gonna say to yourself today it is I'm just gonna take a break and shut out the noise. And two, I have really learned to find the joy in the things that give me happiness. I used to think this was like all white lady mumbo jumbo. Honestly right like it feels a white lady mumbo jumbo. But I will take my makeup off, I will go get my nails done. I will pay for somebody to massage my back while I'm getting my nails done. I will do whatever I need to do with no I mean, and I know they all look at me. I know they're judging me. Especially our women judge each other the most.
Speaker 1: Look. My family is tumble. There's no phrase in tumble for self care. They eradicated that phrase from the dictionary.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I have the same thing like, can I not have my time now without apologizing to anybody? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What has surprised you about the person that you've become after being a professional comedian for all these years? Are there new parts of your personality that have surfaced that you weren't aware were there? Or new insecurities, vulnerabilities, really anything.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, and it's gonna sound very arrogant, but I'm gonna say it's okay. Be honest. I'm a pretty freaking phenomenal business woman, and I can see that coming. I've been obsessed with entrepreneurship my whole life. I've been reading entrepreneurship books. My whole childhood was Fortune magazine, Forbes magazine. What color is your parachute? You name it. I've done the self help, the business this, how he started this company, how that company went bankrupt. I've read it all. Yeah, But until I became my own entrepreneurial owner, I didn't realize how good I would be at it. My instincts are so good. I can tell you, like with one eye close, which decision makes sense and which will not lead to money.
Speaker 1: I love that you share that reflection, because the whole thesis of my book, The Other Side of Change, is that going through the change process is involves some element of revelation about these hidden superpowers that were just not on display before that we didn't know we have. And you just perfectly articulated that you discovered a new superpower in yourself as a result of going through this change.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am very surprised, but I'll be honest with you, because I'm when the words sometimes in business meetings come out of my mouth, I'm surprised I'm saying these things. There are times when somebody will make a crazy ask and I'll be like, look, I would do it, but it's not right for my business, and I'm shocked, like I'm an auntie. How did I undo forty years of saying yes to everything? But I did for my business, which is now my new baby. Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: So you've established over the course of your life that you are a risk taker, right. You defied your domineering father, you disrupted an arranged marriage, you fled your home country. You literally became a stand up comedian during a pandemic, which is most people's biggest fear. I think what I'm hearing from you is that you have a high tolerance for failure. You're comfortable with discomfort on a daily basis. Just hearing you talk about the daily anxieties that you go through. What advice would you have for people who want to start some new enterprise of some kind. They're not going to become Zarna, fine, but maybe they.
Speaker 2: Want to take up something better than Sara. Why maybe better?
Speaker 1: Fine? The star your What advice would you have for people who might not have the genetic gift of fearlessness that you have, who want to take that leap.
Speaker 2: Okay, do not lean on your genetics because they have not served many of us well, like all our medical doctors will tell you these South Asian genetics especially, Yeah, exactly, Yeah, So forget the genetics. I will give you the framework. I will give you a statistical reason why you should take chances and not worry about failure. The more chances you take, the more you increase your surface area and probability of succeeding. The failures will not matter in the end. Yeah, in the end, all the failures are like the tasting spoons of life. You know, when you're making a soup, you taste it twenty times.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you just have to.
Speaker 2: Get it perfect by the end, and it will happen if you keep tasting enough, if you stand there with diligence, and if you focus on what you're doing and don't worry so much. Seek comfort in knowing that people are so self obsessed today that nobody has time to judge you and me. There was a time when what will your aunt say and what will your Today, everybody is obsessed with their own lives absolutely, which is liberating for those of us who want to take chances. I opened and closed fifteen businesses. None of my friends even realized. They were like, oh, you also tried this, and I was like, yeah, it didn't really work out, And that was the extent of the conversation. And anybody who doesn't understand your journey doesn't belong in your life anyway. You don't owe an explanation to people who only want to see you succeed. If they're not comfortable with comforting you when you're failing, they're not comfortable with watching you fail. They need to be out of your life anyway.
Speaker 1: You talked about betting on yourself, So for all of those who are listening, what advice do you have for people who are maybe lacking the courage or confidence to take that bet because there's so much unknown and so much uncertainty on the other side, and they crave control, they crave the security of the known path.
Speaker 2: Right. I get that, And as a parent and a spouse and with a lot of household responsibility, I for one hundred percent get it. But I would say to them that courage is a learned behavior. A lot of people say I just don't have it in me, as if other people just got it and they didn't. It's not like that. You can learn courage the way you learned to walk. Like baby steps will get you somewhere. It may not take you all the way. It may take you beyond where you want to go. But stop saying to yourself I'm too scared. Stop the negative self talk and reframe it and be like, what is the smallest, lightest lift I can make in the direction that I want to go? I tell my friends this all the time. What is the lightest lift you can imagine that that gets you half a foot into that direction? And let's start with that one day at a time. I say to myself every day when I wake up, nothing and nobody will stop me. It's how I give myself courage. Nobody gave it to me. I have to give it to me. But because say it to myself enough, I start believing it by the end of the day. So my advice to everybody is to stop thinking do I have it? Do I not have it? We all have it? Are you going to tap into it? Is the question?
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks so much? For listening. I love sharing our incredible Slight Change guests with you. This year, we're taking a break for the holidays, but we'll be back in the new year with a whole slate of new episodes for you as olays. We'll have stories of personal transformation and experts with insights to help us through the biggest changes life throws our way. The best thing you can do to support us in the meantime is to follow the show wherever you listen to podcasts. If you've already done that, try to leave a review, share an episode with a friend, or, better yet, make a playlist of your favorite Slight Change episodes as a gift for your friends during their upcoming holiday travel. It'll help more people find the show. For more from me, you can follow me on Instagram at doctor Mayah Shunker. I'll be sharing lots of updates about my new book, The Other Side of Change, where I profile people you've never heard from on the show and share new scientific insights for navigating change. Thank you for all of your support and all of the incredible messages you've shared with me and the team this year. I'll see you in twenty twenty six. A Slight Change of Plans is created, written, and executive produced by me Maya Shunker. The Slight Change family includes our showrunner Tyler Green, our senior editor Kate Parkinson Morgan, our producers Brittany Cronin and Megan Luvin, and our sound engine near Erica Huang. Louis Scara wrote our delightful theme song, and Ginger Smith helped arrange the vocals. A Slight Change of Plans is a production of Pushkin Industries, so big thanks to everyone there, and of course a very special thanks to Jimmy Lee. You can follow a Slight Change of Plans on Instagram at doctor Maya Schunker.