Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach, one more question.
Speaker 4: Played the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibilit must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim ERNs.
Speaker 5: It's twenty twenty one that ye have execution. In order to execute, we have to have information. And the number one place that get the information EYL University Shotty tell them what we bring in.
Speaker 6: Yes, EYL University has been reloaded. We already have one hundred passed webinars. We already have weekly webinars. We already have our private investment group on Facebook. We already have multi financial planning calls. We already have five weekly real estate called. But what has been added to EYL University this year?
Speaker 3: Is access to.
Speaker 6: MG the mortgage Guys home Buyers Blueprint which walks you through the home buying process from A to Z. And what also has been added breaking news Alert. Everybody always has to be in our group chat and when we talk about all the investment plays that we are making. We are going to have investment calls group chat calls with me, Troy and the whole team and walk you through our plays that we're making and give you insight into our portfolios.
Speaker 3: All of that for seventy five percent off.
Speaker 6: That's right, we are doing a lowout sale seventy five percent off or a limited time only. Go to EYL University dot com right now and sign up.
Speaker 5: See you on the other side.
Speaker 7: My graduates from my school being forced back drop.
Speaker 3: Bag drop, Mike, drop back, drop drop.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, welcome back EYL. This is a long anticipated episode something that you know, I'm sure everybody, all the earners all across the world are extremely excited about. Somebody He's asking for it for the exception of Ernialisia, and as we've gotten bigger.
Speaker 3: The guests has just gotten That's true. Yeah, So you know, Gary Vaynerchuk, did I pronounce that correctly.
Speaker 5: I think he did a good job.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, you nailed it.
Speaker 6: Okay, better known as Gary V. Serial entrepreneur, chairman of his own Communications.
Speaker 5: We got a new word form. We got new word form operating entrepreneur.
Speaker 3: There you have it.
Speaker 6: CEO CEO, CEO of the Media Ad Agency, Social Media, trail Blazer, Angel Investor, Cultural Icon. Couldn't keep going on and on, but yeah, for sure. So first and foremost, Gary, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 8: Appreciate it, Matt, I really appreciate your time, and I'm excited.
Speaker 7: To be here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure. So let's jump right into it. Our show is a little different because, you know, we break down the business models, we break down entrepreneur success. Like when we had Mark Cuban on shout out to Mark and we asked him about his deal that he did when he sold it and then he you know, had the stock and he gave a great explanation. So a lot of people might or they may or they may not know your story. They heard the story about you started in the wine business, your family's wine business right in the late nineties and turned it from three million operation to I believe a sixty million dollar operation and you did it. It was early in it we called digital real estate and first wine e commerce platform. So can you talk about that, how you had the foresight and how you actually transitioned that and how you was early onto the e commerce phase.
Speaker 8: Timing is incredible about this. I just literally literally got off the phone with my six best buds from college. Shout out to three oh one the spot, Miss Iraq, d justin La Tokyo, Joe, and Glen. It was there in Mount Ida College in Newton, mass in nineteen ninety five when p from Maine we had nicknames for everybody. Pete from Maine said come and check this out. And I heard coo coooch for the first time, and I said, the fuck is this? And He's like, this is the World Wide Web.
Speaker 7: And I was like, I heard about that shit, and I.
Speaker 8: Want this is how for the kids that are listening to how crazy the internet was. In ninety four ninety five, I waited my turn to get on the computer to go on AOL.
Speaker 7: It was so crazy, this.
Speaker 8: Thing like being on the Internet and seeing people in chat rooms that I watched it as a spectator while my man was on the keyboard. And I finally like an hour later, sat down and clicked a couple of buttons and found myself on a baseball card bulletin board in AOL and about seven minutes into my Internet life, which was this, I said, this is going to change my life straight up, just like that, like straight out of fucking movie. And that started the conversation in my head which late to six months later saying to my dad, Dad, we need a website for the liquor store. We didn't have a computer. My dad didn't take credit cards, like he was old school. I was born in the Soviet Union. He's like cash only, doesn't trust people, like, wouldn't take checks, doesn't believe in anybody, like you know, like all that stuff like and and I got him there. I just completely knew the same, you know.
Speaker 7: It's funny.
Speaker 8: The one skill I really have is my intuition about things and people is heavy.
Speaker 7: Like it's just really my biggest thing.
Speaker 8: So like literally looking at the Internet or looking at the investments I made, Facebook, Twitter, Coinbase, or the fact that I bought bitcoin in twenty fourteen is no different than me thinking that Gunna or the baby was gonna be good, or that I thought Alvin Kamara was going to be a good player when we started van Ter Sports, even though he was the backup running back at Tennessee. There's there's something in me that understands people and understands what people are going to do. And that's been my whole life. Like if I was an A and R guy, I would dominate. If I was a scientist, like looking at spiders for twenty years in the woods, I would figure it out, Like that's my thing. And so that's what happened with the Internet. That's how it started. And I you know my mission in my twenties. You know, I was king this country with nothing. I was born in Russia, lived in a studio in Queen's with like eight family members. Like I grew up rugged, Like my mom was frugal and wasn't about didn't have money. So I was like if I wanted Nintendo, if I wanted stuff, I had to buy it as a kid.
Speaker 7: So I'd always fight for.
Speaker 8: Money and business and my number one goal was to help my parents liquor store business. Like I gave up my twenties, all of my twenties. Man, when kids talk to me about like, oh, I'm like, I gave up all my twenties to build a business for my parents. I left with zero ownership of that business, and I blew that business up from three to sixty million. And you know, sometimes people try to rag on me, like, ah, you got handed shit.
Speaker 7: I'm like, you think that's what happened. Let me tell you the truth.
Speaker 8: I took a business from three to sixty million, never got paid shit because in the family business, you put all back in the business. So it's one thing if you make money for somebody else in a corporation, but at least you get paid a million dollars a year. I was getting paid fifty sixty seventy thousand a year building a big ass business, And at thirty four years old, left and had to start my company in somebody else's conference room Vayner Media, in Buddy Media's conference room, because I didn't have the money to pay rent.
Speaker 5: So this is this is pre social media. So what strategies that you use in to build a company from three to sixty right? Because this is I mean, Internet is just help yep.
Speaker 8: Back then, it was email and Google AdWords that really took me off, right, and banner ads.
Speaker 7: People used to click banner ads kids.
Speaker 8: I would buy a banner ad for five hundred dollars a month on a website like wine dot, like a Windspectator dot, and people click that shit. You know, back then everyone was curious about everything, like banners are like, oh cool.
Speaker 7: It was kind of like cool.
Speaker 8: You're like, oh shit, takes me somewhere else, like you know, you know again, I'm talking like it's one hundred years ago. It's only twenty five years ago. But it's like it's like a it's a lifetime ago. It was cell phones.
Speaker 7: It was crazy.
Speaker 8: There was no laptops, Like you got to sit at a fucking desk to be on the internet.
Speaker 5: This feels like a scene in the Record Ralph movie. He's just present there.
Speaker 8: But so banner ads being you know, a little early social called forums, remember bulletin boards and messages.
Speaker 7: I was part.
Speaker 8: I was part of those, all the wineboards. They're like, why do you know so much I own or my family owns or my dad and I run this place called wine Library. Check it out win library dot com. Two clicks, five clicks, like real like bricklaying sh you know. And then and then I figured out email in ninety seven. I was like, okay, this is gonna be big. And so I just started asking every customer that came into the liquor store, you got to email. And then again back to the old days twenty five years ago, people be like, yeah, I got an email, it's AOL at Yahoo dot com.
Speaker 7: You know, like it was, but it was crazy.
Speaker 8: Luckily, the store was in Jersey where a lot of people worked in Wall Street, and the Wall Street cats had email pretty early, and so you know, started getting that Wall Street clientele, and that's you know, I really started changing our business.
Speaker 7: But catalogs. I did catalogs, direct mail.
Speaker 8: Newspaper, full page ads in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal and Star Ledger and Jersey Big shout out. When I was you know, when I made a couple of bucks and was able to put the money, you know, it was all family immigrant businesses are. You don't take money out to buy shit, You put it back into business, back in the business, back in the business. So one of the reasons I never really amassed a lot of money during that time was my dad wasn't paying me or him any real money. Every dollar was back into advertising, back into more employees, back back back, and so we were feeding one of the reasons.
Speaker 7: I tell a lot of entrepreneurs now, like, feed your business.
Speaker 8: You know, everyone wants to be an entrepreneur to take it out and buy a fucking rollie, right and buy a bent and like and buy like some And I'm like, no, no, no, no, no no no no no, don't flex yet you just started put it back in back in. Your watch will be more expensive, your trip will be nicer, your flying accommodations will be better. But you got to feed your business for a minute.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stay down till you come up. So you talked about how you left the company and left with zero. So you left with Hey, why did you leave? So it's a family business, you grew it, it's sixty million dollars, it's you know, going nicely, ten x the whole situation, on twenty x the whole situation.
Speaker 3: So did why did you leave?
Speaker 8: And get some real shitre Three main reasons resentment, my brother's eleven years younger than me, and I love my pops.
Speaker 7: Let me break them down for you, because you guys go deep heer.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna give it to you shit that I don't usually talk about. You work fifteen hours a day, including Saturdays, because you're in the retail business from twenty two to thirty two years old, no fun, no trips, work fifteen hours a day, real shit now, not like fucking like propaganda where people acting like they're working in the store eight am, leave the store, ten pm, in the store seven am, leave the store eleven pm. For fucking ten years, and you take it from three point eight million to sixty and you have no real, real, real money like that, and now you're married and you've got a little bit of right, you start being fucked up a little.
Speaker 7: Got it.
Speaker 5: I'm just talking.
Speaker 7: Really, I was like, yo, I was a kid. I you know.
Speaker 8: Now, listen, the reason I wasn't really fucked up and it was okay was I wanted that I wanted to pay my parents back.
Speaker 7: I knew I was fucking great. I knew it.
Speaker 8: I knew what's going on with me right now. And on some record, on the record, shit, I even started. No, I'm being really honest with you guys, like you're you're gonna look at this video and thirteen years A gonna be like, damn, he really wasn't even like in the same universe, Like I mean it, I really feel like I'm just starting.
Speaker 7: I'm patient. I know life is long. I have wisdom.
Speaker 8: I hung out with old old grandparents all the time as a kid, and I never understood why, And now I understand. I'm an old soul. I was patient. I knew I could give up my twenties for my parents. Feel good about that. Feel like I really put them on because they put me on. Be like, you know, settle that settle that bad.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean? Now we even really I was a little bit like that.
Speaker 8: I needed it for me, but I really love my parents and some real shit to the best. I was like, fuck it, I'm gonna get mine regardless. Let me really do something here. But now, after a decade, I started getting into that little place of like number two. My brother's eleven years younger than me. My parents were twenty when they had me, like that old Russia shit, you know. Like So, so my brother was coming up and he didn't want to work with my dad.
Speaker 7: My dad's a tough like.
Speaker 8: My dad's a different kind of person, old school, and he didn't want to be about that, And so I wanted to jam with him. You know, I've been teaching him entrepreneurship since he was a kid eBay, garage sales, all that shit that people know about me.
Speaker 7: So I really wanted to jam with him.
Speaker 8: So we kind of decided somewhere around his senior high school freshman ye of college.
Speaker 7: Like we're going to do this.
Speaker 8: So that was in the back of my mind, and you know, I left when he graduated. He graduated in May of two thousand and nine and I left started Vannermedia, but I was doing both. I was doing Wine Library with Vayner Media from two thousand and nine to twenty eleven and then number three. I loved my dad. Let me explain. My dad was one of the guys. He was one of the ten to fifteen guys in the liquor business in Jersey. He had one of the good stores toing four million a liquor store in the eighties. That's real money. You know, it's a different day, different age. There was no major players. Liquor business is fragmented. You don't have Walmarts and shit like that. So he was a guy. He was one of the guys. He was one of the people that could throw around some clout. He was one of the bigger buyers and he loved it. He loved it. I came along and took that shit to the fucking moon. So I became the guy. And so now all of a sudden, you see where I'm going right now? The suppliers people, Yeah, all of a sudden, my dad lost his clout. Yeah, and my dad and I wasn't about sharing it either, because I took the wheel and was like, no one person can drive, So like, go in the passenger seat. I love you, Dad, You're still my dad, And you could always call that once in a blue moon dad card and make me do something I don't want to do. But ninety eight percent of time I'm driving. And the first year that I did the business, he was renovating and decided to build a new house for him and my mom. He loves construction, so they built a new house. And that first year we went from four to ten million, and he kind of looked, He's like fuck.
Speaker 7: Three, right, So he was like.
Speaker 8: I love you, but fuck, I'm not going to mess with this. Next year seventeen and he's like, okay, I got something. And so but what that did was I was willing to do it for him, but I was going to take the shine. I was going to have the leverage. I was going to be the guy and and I loved my dad, and we were starting to have conflict. It was pretty cool for the first eight or nine years, little things, but now we were starting to have consistent conflict. I had my resentment up. I become real famous in the liquor business, the guy guy, and nobody gave a shit about my dad. And I saw the pain and his eyes, and it hurt me because I loved my dad and people forgot about his part. He came to America with no language, he came to America with no money. He came to America and took all the risk and went from and what he did from zero to what he did, I know, I'm going to the tippy top of all time, and I'm still going to always admire what he did from zero to that spot, right, And I have my own zero story, but it's different, and he's my dad, and so it just felt like the right time.
Speaker 7: If that makes sense that translation.
Speaker 6: That's an honest answer. So when you start the media company, I'm assuming, all right, so you learn early as far as emails and internet marketing and all of that, So you just transitioned that into.
Speaker 8: Ye ye have two thousand and six, YouTube comes out and I'm like, this is gonna be big. I hate it again?
Speaker 3: Why you Why did you think YouTube was gonna be big?
Speaker 8: Because I thought the internet was gonna take over the world, and here was the first thing I ever saw that did videos proper, you know.
Speaker 7: I was like, this is it. And you know what's beautiful about being old is you got the receipts. Go to YouTube.
Speaker 8: Type in Wine Library, episode one, February twenty first, two thousand and six, when it was still independent.
Speaker 7: Google hadn't even bought it. I saw it.
Speaker 8: The video starts with me saying, I think this is the first wine show on the internet, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, I watched it. I watched it.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it. But so I saw it, I did it, and I was right.
Speaker 8: And then YouTube sells for one seven one point seven billion in two thousand and seven, and to help everybody here, that'd be like TikTok selling for a trillion to Facebook right now.
Speaker 7: The number was crazy.
Speaker 8: Back then, one seven was like like, you didn't even think about shit like that, right, And so that happened, and that's when my career really took off. I said, wait a minute. I was right about dot com, I was write about email. I was right about Google AdWords. I was right about you know, blogging, even though I didn't do it. I was right about this YouTube thing. Maybe I'm not just a good businessman or ricker, store runner or seller. I might be good at like just knowing shit. That's literally the combo I had with myself. And I read an article that YouTube had angel investors, and I was like, what's an angel investor? I googled it and I was like, I'm going to be an angel investor. And the next year I went to south By Southwest cause I got to put you got.
Speaker 7: To put yourself in it. If you're going to be in it.
Speaker 8: I want the Silicon Valley a bunch. And within the year of me deciding that to that one hundred and fifty I don't remember eighty to one hundred and fifty K I saved because I was living in a bullshit apartment, never going out. So even though I was making fifty, I was saving four thousand a years, making save in eight that in a year. You see what I'm saying. So when I tell kids with my content, like be humble I lived. I don't give advice that I fucking read in a book. I don't give advice that I didn't live. So because I was living humble and not buying dumb shit, even though I wasn't making much, I had a little something. And now I saw this opportunity and the first three companies I invested in for Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, and it changed my life.
Speaker 6: So the Angel conversation is extremely interesting because a lot of people might not know your angel investors. So that's a that's the perfect three companies to invest in. So Angel invest in VC world is like, you know, people have been around for decades that do that with billions of dollars. So you come even with a couple of hundred thousand, that's not really real money in the U.
Speaker 8: Different than though, Like I invested in Tumblr's B round at fourteen million dollar valuation. A B round now is like four hundred million. It was a different world when I did it. Nobody there was nobody coming at these kids like that. Back then, nobody believed in the Internet like this. Like I was able to talk to Mark Zuckerberg too Williams, to David Carr, like I was talking to the person. It just wasn't that shine like it was. It was like Hip Hop eighty five versus today basketball.
Speaker 5: So for the what round did you get in in Facebook?
Speaker 8: So Facebook I bought from Mark's parents two years before the IPO because I became friendly with the Facebook crew and Randy and Mark because Randy and his sister worked at the company. I'd flown out to speak to the company. I would hang with them at conferences. So one day I just got a call from Randy saying, you know, my parents want to sell some of the Spacebook stock before the IPO because they want to move to California and build a house and be near us.
Speaker 7: Would you like something?
Speaker 8: She didn't start, she didn't finish, saying my parents and I already wired the money because I knew Facebook was going to win. And then Tumblr was one of the big companies out of New York because shit wasn't happening in New York.
Speaker 7: So tumbl out in New York.
Speaker 8: And I noticed junior high kids were on Tumblr in two thousand and eight, two thousand and seven, and I was like, wait, that might be next because all the youngsters are on it.
Speaker 7: And so I got on there and then YEAHO bought Tumbler for a.
Speaker 5: Billion follow youth.
Speaker 6: So so as far as like the Angel investment's talking about the rounds, can you explain now a little bit because people hear about round, seed round, fund round, A round, B round, seed round, but they might not actually know what that actually means.
Speaker 8: Just see, you know a lot of people use different terminology for the same shit. But like you know, the Angel round is the initial money in. Then usually the first time a company takes money, the angel, the seed investment or the angel right high risk, like most of my Angel investments went to zero, but high reward. You come in early on something, it can get real crazy. You know my angel the company called BarkBox that's about to go public. That's gonna get interesting for me. You know, Angel, you can get crazy. So then there's the A then it just goes in. Then it goes in very simple order for everybody. The A route, it's kind of the first real money, you know, five million bucks, three million bucks, Then the B round ten twenty million bucks, then the C round that's you know when I said ten twenty that's so much they took in. So they got one hundred million dollar valuation and they took it to twenty million dollars in Now that person invested is in for.
Speaker 7: Only fifteen percent of the company. I there's that age because it's one twenty post strains or twenty. So that's how it goes.
Speaker 8: Angel ABCD and usually buy after D you're looking at going public or selling.
Speaker 6: So like a couple of questions in regards to that for entrepreneurs, how should they prepare themselves to approach an angel investor? Like what should they already have in place? Because from my understanding, a company has to have a certain amount of revenue like already in place before they can actually get venture capital or angel money.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 8: Or no angel money you can get when you have nothing thing an idea. Now that comes with privilege. Let's be very honest here, and I'm not even talking white privilege. I'm talking rich privilege. I know, unlimited Black Asian trans You know, if you're running in money circles, you got a.
Speaker 7: Shot to get money on an idea. You know.
Speaker 8: One of the reasons I stopped investing, and I don't invest that much. Most of my money right now is going to sports cards. We can get into that before we get out.
Speaker 3: Of here.
Speaker 8: Is it's crazy now like you can get You can basically say I'm gonna build this, make a deck, go to people and they give you money based on a four million dollar, five million dollars six million dollars seven million dollar valuation. But it's a very small group of people that have access to that capital, right, and they usually run from high university Stanford, Harvard, right, or they run in very rich circles. Your mom and dad have wealth and you know, their friends happy to write you two hundred and fifty thousand dollars check at that valuation. Then you use that to get another person, So.
Speaker 5: Erners, what's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like, the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business is Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery.
Speaker 3: Play is everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game that's off of now, Coach.
Speaker 4: One more question play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibily. It must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim.
Speaker 8: You know you don't need to be making money, And ironically, in technology it's almost better that you're not. People like to invest more in the idea. Once you start making money, they have something to judge you on. It's a crazy system and I'm not a That concerns me, and which is why I've been hesitant to go hard in early stage. I take it a little bit later where people prove it a little now, no reason to take that risk. So I'm aware of an A and B guy, if I really get excited.
Speaker 5: So when you when you actually are are going to go after a company or decide to invest it, is that why you created vayn or X or is that something different? Right? Because because that became a holding company at a certain point, right.
Speaker 7: Baaner x is different. I did, so, I did angel investing. I did real well.
Speaker 8: Then I got hooked up with Steve Ross, the owner Miami Dolphins, and he bought a piece of Vayner Media, which was the first company, Vaynermedia, which later became vayn or X. When I started adding companies, so I needed a holding company for the companies.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'll get to that in a minute.
Speaker 8: When when Steve Ross invested in bought a piece excuse me, a Vynroom Media, he also put up the money for a fund, and I deployed twenty five million dollars out of a fund as a like a fund.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: So for everyone listening, because we're doing some real good educating here, that means that I got Normally you get paid two percent of the number to manage it. But because I didn't take that from him, because he already bought a piece of my company, and we're kind of being homies. But I got twenty percent of it back, right, So twenty percent of all the earnings. So the twenty five goes and I get twenty percent of anything that happens, right, you know. So I don't put up the money. I make the decisions. But that gives me twenty cents on a dollar. He gets eighty cents. And with that company, I made a lot of smart investments. I started a company with that money called Rezi rs y. Anybody who's into restaurants, the Resi app.
Speaker 7: That was me.
Speaker 8: We sold that company for nine figures to AMX eighteen months ago. I invested in Snapchat, Pinterest, Coinbase, so we did real well.
Speaker 6: So you talked about the holding the holding companies, Why is that? Why is that employer?
Speaker 7: That's important?
Speaker 8: Because I had vayner Media one company, and then I wanted to buy a new company called Purewow Jure whiles a women's lifestyle brand dot com publisher similar to Refinery twenty nine or Bustle. You know, I just stood up a men's brand called one thirty seven PM that everybody should check out. That's more like complex advice. So when I bought that company, I didn't want to put it into Banner Media because it was a different kind of company, different taxes, different all that. So I created a holding company called Vayner X. One side of it was Vayner Media. Another side was what we called Gallery Media Group, which held pure wow in it. Then we started one thirty seven pm and then I started going ham. I started a new company called Sasha Group after my dad, Sasha to be Vayner Media for small businesses. Then I started as speaking bureau Vyner Speakers. Then I started a company for e commerce, Vayner Commerce. You know, I just started going now and so I've got a series of businesses. Now we just set up a new company called Vaynor Talent where we help people build their personal brand and we represent and manage some people. So now I got my holding co. And the way you do that, the reason I sit at the top of the holding co. I'm the active CEO Vanner Media. But I got people running the other companies, and you create incentive plans for them at their level. It all ladders up to the big level and That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: There you have it.
Speaker 6: So as far as one last question about the angel, what do you look for because you obviously had a bunch of success Facebook, Twitter, tumba, Uber, snap, Venmo, to name a few, So it's not luck. So you obviously have an eye for talent more so I mean a gut feeling. Yeah, but do you have anything that you like? A checklist where you look for.
Speaker 8: One two things, my conviction of what's going on in life, and then the person.
Speaker 7: So I call it the jockey and the horse. I got to pick the horse. Let me give you one.
Speaker 8: Right now for everybody. I'm going to make some people some money today.
Speaker 7: NFT.
Speaker 8: NFT stands for non fungible tokens crypto art, right, so on top of a theory, so this is coming. I believe in it. There's gold be a lot of money lost, so don't go crazy. Everyone who's listening, spend one hundred hours. Let me say it slowly so it sinks in everyone's head. One hundred hours, one hundred hours of education. Then maybe you go buy a piece of crypto art. But I now believe in NFT. I really believe in it. Now I got to go find people that I believe in that cold ride that horse. So I make a decision on the horse. But then I got to believe in the jockey. I lost a lot of money my first round two thousand and seven, eight nine, ten, eleven, twelve because I was right about the concept, but I was wrong about the person's stomach who was running it.
Speaker 7: She or he couldn't take a punch, you understand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, That's what I'm looking for now, Who can take a punch. That's what entrepreneurship is. Entrepreneurship is UFC, Entrepreneurship is boxing. Who can take a punch. So I'm right about a lot of stuff. To your point, I've got a great career on that. But now what I'm spending more time on.
Speaker 7: Is can she do it? Is he about that life?
Speaker 8: And I'm trying to spend more time on that, and I think I've done better lately.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so, I mean I've watched the videos, man, and like you said, there are receipts, So creating and finding global trends is of your thing. I watched it when you said that Facebook is going to be sold to i G in twenty eleven. I saw when you say Facebook, So yeah, and then and then the Joe Rogan and Spotify and so is n f T the next thing or is this something you know that was crazy? It is this else.
Speaker 8: NFT is gonna happen, uh something else. I'm about audio. I would talk about that a lot. Now you see club I'm getting a lot of again because of Clubhouse.
Speaker 7: I was about audio. I was kept yelling audio, audio, audio.
Speaker 8: Premium sports cars, lebron Kobe Jordan, you know n f T n FT.
Speaker 7: I feel really solidified on that's great.
Speaker 5: We just who you have that conversation we had We had the digital so somebody text us, one of our Patreon members texting us about text me about the digital art in that that space. And then we had when I keys, oh yeah, she said the same thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was explaining he was in Miami. We said that with a good friend of ours, and he was explaining us to us about crypto and digital art and I didn't really understand it.
Speaker 3: And he took like a half an hour, and he was like, if you have.
Speaker 6: Like an art showing and it's like that the artist like leases out the image for just that virtual war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a whole thing.
Speaker 6: And that's the first time and it's crazy that you mentioned that, because that's the first time I ever heard of it last week, and now you're bringing it up again.
Speaker 7: Let me bring up something else that's gonna make it work.
Speaker 8: The other thing I was going to answer you on in combination with crypto art, like call it an NFT non funcible token to like digital art, crypto art.
Speaker 7: Is vr M.
Speaker 8: So look, we're basically in VR now. Think about what everybody, take a step back. I'm gonna make it real common sense. How much time are you in your phone? Think about how many minutes a day you're looking at your phone. There be a rhinoceros behind you. You have no.
Speaker 3: Idea, So.
Speaker 8: The jump step to oculus right. AKA, I'm predicting in ten fifteen years you're not gonna need some big ass thing on your eyes.
Speaker 7: You're gonna be contact lensed and in.
Speaker 8: If we live in a virtual world six hours a day, which I predict will happen to everybody who's listening here.
Speaker 7: Now, I think that's ten fifteen, twenty, but I'm patient. If we live.
Speaker 8: Virtually you have to understand why blockchain crypto NFTs matter because you can prove that you own it. It's on the blockchain, it's on the leisure so you're the only one with it. Now imagine if you're the only one in it. If you imagine blockchain integration to VR, when somebody's coming to your pad and you're.
Speaker 7: Like living it, like.
Speaker 8: It's gonna feel like we're living And the same reason people flex, are you see where this is going? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, can we go back to the collectible cards? Because I know that. I mean, that's your origin, so this must feel like surreal, Like yo, this is coming back.
Speaker 8: The biggest reason, the biggest reason so many of my friends, my brother, my best friends didn't believe me three years ago is I think they thought I was thinking with my heart.
Speaker 7: Got it?
Speaker 5: Because yeah, because I mean that was that was the beginning.
Speaker 7: I was like when I was like, why is nobody believe in me? Three years ago? When I was like, yo, I got receipts now listen to me, And I was like, oh shit. The people that believed in me the most, that love me the most, that know me the most, they think I'm in love right, because you're right, it is my first love.
Speaker 8: That's like cards is in nineteen eighty seven to nineteen ninety three, that's when I became Gary Vee. Like what I am built on today is those six years of doing sports card shows, being with grown ass men and winning.
Speaker 7: As a child.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember that. I'm gonna let you go, but I remember being that from like ninety one, I was collecting baseball cards and basketball cards and Marvel cards, and I was like, I gotta say these. I think the most valuable one I could think we had was a Ken Griffey Junior rookie card. And I'm like, I'm holding this forever.
Speaker 7: Damn, he's gonna.
Speaker 5: I still have it. It's like worth like I think it's Mint nine or something like that. It might be worth like six seven hundred dollars, but I'm like, I'm keeping this forever.
Speaker 6: So what's the deal with this new virtual wave that you're speaking of? With that, I'm not familiar with this whole situation. So what is this virtual cards?
Speaker 5: No, like the trading cards, like baseball cards.
Speaker 3: I know, but like it is like a new age of that. There is something.
Speaker 8: There is two things brewing. There's NBA top Shop. I don't know if you've seen that, but that's.
Speaker 5: Oh I think I did. Yeah. Yeah, they're like the holograms.
Speaker 8: That's well, they're like highlights highlights, Yeah, on the blockchain. So that's we're talking a little bit now with NFT the ship we were talking about earlier and be a top shops huge and there is a soccer one proper football coach. So Rare built on top of ethereum okay, And that's the word people starting to hear now, right, because that's different than bitcoin. But the other thing that has heat because it's a platform that people build on top of, like so Rare. So yeah, there's a little bit of that ruin. But yeah, the sports card thing three years ago, I saw it. I'm like, this is next, this is next. And you know again, like I said earlier, Charlie Demillio, sports Cards, Uber, Gunna, little Keyed, you know, Snapchat, like it's all the same game for me, What do I see that nobody else sees as easily as I see it? Am I tricking my I always ask myself, there, am I tricking myself? So I double check a triple check, a quadruple check, and.
Speaker 7: The receipts are there. The YouTube videos of me and Charlie Demilio.
Speaker 8: Before she went there, the videos of me and Keyed and Gunna there, they're there.
Speaker 6: So your social media acumen is highly respecting one of the best to have a do in social media. So talking about the next phase where we at next, obviously Clubhouse TikTok.
Speaker 3: How do you feel?
Speaker 6: Like do you feel because I think face just an noow something that they're going to do something similar to what Clubhouse has going.
Speaker 3: Is it here to stay or is it the next vine?
Speaker 8: It's it's Snapchat. Let me explain, Clubhouse is Snapchat. Snapchat's still here. Remember one's like I remember when it's like it's dead. I'm like, it's not dead. It got dented. Instagram gave it a punch. You know, it's a good Now. It might have lost it might have it definitely fell down.
Speaker 9: It got standing eight, yeah, at least the standing eight and probably lost that fight for a minute, but it's come back to you know, the rematch always matters, right, And Snap is doing quite well.
Speaker 7: They're building a really nice company.
Speaker 8: But Instagram took off even more because of it, So stories became a.
Speaker 7: Format not just an app. Got it.
Speaker 8: So now you have Snap doing well, but every platform Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram has stories. I think the same thing's gonna happen with Clubhouse. Clubhouse is going to continue to innovate and do its thing. But I believe that every single platform, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn Twitter are all going to have clubhouse like dynamics in it, and it's going to be a feature in the biggest platforms in the world.
Speaker 5: So can a clubhouse survive? Because we saw this with Vine when they had the eight second clip and then Instagram took it.
Speaker 8: No, that's just you know, that's where people get their history wrong. Vine won Let me explain, Vine sold their company to Twitter. Vine died because the guys left. Vine didn't have to die. Vine took the bag. Let's when no Snap of course again, look at Snap. Snap's just fine at all time highs on its stocky.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say stock is going well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so yes, man, of course clubhouse can now. Snap was probably further along when that feature happened on Instagram. So a clubhouse has to worry about is if all these companies come adam from all different directions, can they continue to grow or will people do what happened?
Speaker 7: You know, I'm sure you remember this.
Speaker 8: When Instagram did that thing, Everyone's like, oh good, I don't have to be on Snapchat because they're in secure because they only had a thousand followers, they didn't had a million over here, like everyone's on their insecure shit. But I would staying on both because attention is attention. So what you know right now people are insecure. They're not even in clubhouse. They don't have an invite. So when Twitter pops it up or Instagram pops it up, they're like, yeah, you know what I mean, I don't have to go there. I'm not behind. So that's what That's what clubhouse has to worry about. What about TikTok, You know, TikTok is a beast, TikTok has it's just on fire. I think people are completely confused what's going on. If you're under twenty five, it's TikTok, Comma.
Speaker 7: Instagram and it's not even close. TikTok will be interesting.
Speaker 8: They're so about their world, their algorithm finding creativity. If you ask me which platforms most likely to do audio like that, I would say it's TikTok and Snap. I don't see a shot that LinkedIn YouTube and Facebook and Instagram don't do it.
Speaker 7: Twitter's already done it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting because it's like for entrepreneurs, you get comfortable with one platform, and then another platform comes out and it's like you're spinning in all different directions. So what's your advice for people that may not have a budget to hire, you know, a whole staff, and it's like they just focus on one thing. They got Instagram figured out, and now they kind of, like you said, they built a nice following on Instagram and they feel like they got to start at zero on TikTok or zero on clubhouse multiple things.
Speaker 7: One crying about it and could do shit.
Speaker 8: It's the game, sorry, like you know, like you know, like people had people had MTV and BT figured out and Naster came along that fucked up their.
Speaker 7: Game, right, Shit happens. Sorry.
Speaker 8: If you're an entrepreneur, you're in the business of getting punched in the face. Nobody owes you anything. So that's number one, that's what I tell him. Number two, you don't start at zero. If you've got a million followers on Instagram, you post a little photo, I'm gonna be on clubhouse APM, you know what I mean. So you're not starting at zero. Your audience is moving with you. I got half a million followers already on Clubhouse. I've barely been on becuse I've been busy, you know what I mean. You don't start at zero, your equity travels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, can we tell Can I talk about one of my favorite quotes, as you said, it was, it's the empty the bucket, and it's true in relationships, and it was like I was living that. I was like, it's tough to be in a marriage where you you have something on your mind that you you you fest it because after a while the bucket overflows. But can you talk about the points of that in business of empty in the bucket.
Speaker 8: It's life resentments of problem And for me, I can deal with I can eat shit. I can fill that bucket because I'm a big picture. I'm empathetic. But even for me, it tips over. And for my dad he was the reverse. Said to my dad, Dad, your buckets the size of this cup. My buckets the size of the ocean. That's where you and I are different. He would get triggered quick, you know. And for me, I would just eat shit, eat shit. It was even my leverage, you know, I would like but like the reality is candor matters.
Speaker 7: Now, I like kind candor. If you're gonna tell somebody the truth, deliber it with.
Speaker 8: Some compassion, not like yo, you stink, you know what I mean, like you know, like you got to think that through. But yeah, you have to be careful of resentment. You have to be careful of holding shit in because it's not sustainable that shit's gonna come out either in you doing bad behavior right, alcohols like people, humans need escape from unhappiness, you know, And so you got to get shit off your chest. And so I think a lot about that, and I've historically not been great at it. I've been lucky because my bucket's an ocean, but even the ocean overflows at times, and those have not been good events in my life. And I'm trying to stay away from that, and so I'm trying to empty it more often. I'm emptying it. Emptying the bucket means go and have kind candor and talk shit out. Communication heals everything, even the hard talks. And and and when you're most upset, you have to be most compassionate to the other side, not the other way around, because if you becoming hot, they're going to react hot, and the next thing you know, you come to blows, whether physically or verbally, and that's never a good thing.
Speaker 5: Becomes a tsunami exactly.
Speaker 6: One last before we wrap underpriced attention. I know you're a big one to obviously social media, but for entrepren is that is that the only way to get underpriced attention these days? Or are there other hacks that you know, business owners, entrepreneurs, creatives can go about to get their brand out there and the name out.
Speaker 8: There that the internet is underpriced attention or doing like a stunt, right, like if you like paint a street or something, or like, you know, like you got to do something like shocks the world in real life ral go viral, go viral.
Speaker 7: But that's hard, it's hard hard.
Speaker 8: Whereas on the Internet, LinkedIn's organic reaches through the roof, TikTok's organic. You could be nobody, quote unquote no audience, make one talk the first one and go off. How do you not take advantage of that?
Speaker 7: Right? Clubhouse right now? How do you not go on?
Speaker 8: If you're trying to build an audience, you should be living on clubhouse people just looking for rooms and new people to follow. So, yeah, the Internet and social networks especially are the spot. But it's the content you put into it that's contextual.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all about content.
Speaker 3: Content is king and its contin king. Gary. It's been a pleasure, brother, This is you know what this is.
Speaker 5: This has been long overdue. Two years ago we ran into you at the case with Yeah, and we said, look, you remember that.
Speaker 7: I remember? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 8: You know much pressure been feeling about this interview? It was it was documenting your fan base is harassing me. I feel guilty and shit because I fuck with you guys, and I'm just trying to balance my life out of your busiest ship and like and then you know, like the way life actually works, you end up doing somebody else's thing before like that I just met last week and I still know in the back of my head I got these two good looking dudes that I got to do with this with and so like, I'm fucking happy as shit.
Speaker 3: We finally did Yeah, I'll put it on Instagram.
Speaker 6: It was like ten thousand like tag them, Yeah.
Speaker 7: We did this. Man. I'm cheering for you guys. Heavy.
Speaker 8: It's been fun to watch from afar you continue to build bricks over these last two years.
Speaker 7: I cheer it for you. Heavy.
Speaker 8: If I can ever get you somebody you can't get tom A. I'm a DM away and uh and I hope you have a great, great grade twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that broll and shout out to Charlamagne for connecting the dots on you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, shot the god put the final piece in the.
Speaker 5: He's like, I had no problem get yeah, man, but yeah, just you're a man. Your word then, And I'm so happy that we got it done. And with neighbors on the charts too, so it makes it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 8: He said, I'm sure you guys are doing real work. I'm really proud of that. That that little that little humber brag you just put out.
Speaker 7: It's real.
Speaker 8: I'm proud of you guys. You're doing real work. It's bricked by brick. Listen, I did Wine Library TV for eighteen months. Nobody knew who the fuck I was. I told you guys earlier in thirteen years, fifty thousand times more people gonna know who I am. I'm just starting too. We're all on our journey, and it's the journey. It's the bricks, you know what I mean? Like, I swear to God, you might not believe this. I don't know my numbers, I don't know where I'm in the charts. It's just, you know, like I'm just so tunneled back to the horse and the jockey. You know those horses they put the blinders on the sides, like I don't know where I rank. I don't know where it is. I don't you know. People trying to go me into the shit all the time.
Speaker 7: I'm just focused.
Speaker 8: I'm in my cocoon, I'm in my silence, I'm in my zone. I'm just putting in work in the dirty. I'm not at the equinox. I'm in at a dirty gym that smells like shit getting in my reps.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's like that vibe.
Speaker 5: Begetting caught in that. Like people are like, oh, you guys are doing so great, and we're just like so like looking ahead to what's coming, Like, yeah, we gotta stay focused.
Speaker 8: I tell my friends all the time, don't get fancy until it's time to get fancy.
Speaker 7: Whoever holds their breadth the longest wins that bars out here.
Speaker 6: Baby, I appreciate you, brother, all right, bro.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Gary V.
Speaker 6: Man legendary content as always, good dude right there. Shout out to Charlamagne and shouting Nicole Russell for for helping out with that as well.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah so housekeeping.
Speaker 5: Items, yeah, Man, shout everybody on patreon dot com. You know that it's our proud to paid program, our top tier tier five. You have access to E y L University, the number one school for anything business, finance and entrepreneurship.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: So, shout to all the earners that are part of that, and shout everybody to supporting to merch and yeah, shout out to everybody that has been patient with the merch as well. I can't I don't want to ignore that you have been extremely patient and understanding of the process, and so everybody's gonna get that stuff. Uh, don't worry, earners, We got y'all.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, thank you for rocking with us for see you next week. Peace.
Speaker 2: Peace, my graduates from my school being forced back drops drop.
Speaker 3: Mike, drop back drop.
Speaker 10: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need