Speaker 1: This is the almost famous podcast with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, Bob Guinea. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever.
Speaker 1: I know it.
Speaker 3: I've been in Dallas, Texas hanging out. So yeah, we got out of the Michigan cold this week. It's like negative twenty five at my house. My wife is so happy that I moved here from California to Michigan.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm just getting lock messages all over the place.
Speaker 2: Uh. Well, thanks for the almost famous OG podcast for bringing us back together. We're very excited to recap episode three of Special Forces. I'm excited to hear your thoughts. I have obviously some thoughts considering I could have been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's part of it, right.
Speaker 3: It seems like the intensity just got seriously ratcheted up, like in a big.
Speaker 1: Way, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like they do this. I think every season they do the gas when you get gassed. They don't do getting buried alive as a punishment. I don't think I've ever seen that, but holy cow, that is. You know, It's funny because being from reality television, I know that anything that they ask you there will most likely be using at some point, you know, during your experience, and so of course they ask you what your worst fears are, and open water is definitely the top fear, but right probably next to it, or maybe underneath, is being buried alife. So I didn't say anything, like I literally didn't say to the producers that I was scared of it because I was like, Oh, they're totally just going to use that and run with it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So when they ask you these questions, when they when they would ask you, like, what's your biggest fear? Were they throwing out any suggestions or was it just like sitting there silently waiting for you to come up with what your biggest fear was? Because if if somebody asked me that, I can honestly say, I don't know what I would say, Like, I don't know what I was at there. I'd be like, well, you know, I hate snakes, I hate Oh, there you go, I hate snakes and I hate spiders.
Speaker 1: There you go. I know what. I know what would have happened to me? I guess it doesn't us come off full circle, doesn't it? Well?
Speaker 2: I also I think that I said this and this and I still say it. I don't think you truly know. Like when it came to Jordan, I got the pleasure I had the pleasure of talking to her yesterday for the podcast, and she did not know that she was afraid of water until she was faced with it. So I feel like there are a lot of times when you can guess if you're afraid, but really, until you do it, you really truly don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting here getting like the shivers thinking about snakes and spiders my fears.
Speaker 1: But I mean, let's let's me. You know, you opened in.
Speaker 3: My saying this, and I think it's really kind of true. You know, you said, like I had a lot of thought on this because I could have still been there. What if you were still there, like with that gas attack had just put you over the edge, Because I mean, you know, I think it would for me. I mean, I don't think I would have been able to make it out of there.
Speaker 2: So I have asthma. If anyone watched the first season, Hannah Brown has asthma. She did not have to do the gas challenge because of her asthma, so she had a punishment where she had to like essentially do a really hard workout when they got back to accommodations. I believe, yeah, And so that is what I was told by the doctors that did our pre interview before we even started the show. If there is you know, the gas mask, the gas room, or whatever they call it, you would not you would be exempt from that because of your asthma. So I wouldn't have to make that decision. I think that I just can't imagine because obviously, as an asthmatic, you I know how it is to not be able to breathe. But I don't think i've I mean not that I don't think I know, I have never experienced the kind of pain that comes with being gassed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's next level, stop right.
Speaker 2: Next level. I mean freaking Cam Newton literally ran away the second that he was, you know, put in contact with it. Yeah, So I think that says something, you know, like pain. There's there's not being able to breathe, and then there's pain accompanied with not being able to breathe. So I would have had a really hard time with both of those things if I had to have done it. But I believe that I would have been exempt from that one.
Speaker 3: You know, I can't help but think a que in this moment like when he was, you know, with his Navy seal training and.
Speaker 1: Everything, and when he was going through it, and you.
Speaker 3: Think about, you know, obviously this is probably something he I know, this is something he experienced. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident. And it's interesting because I have to believe. I mean, we are watching some people who are incredible shape melting down right then you see a lot of just rips out of the rooms, like total meltdown.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like I want to believe again, like when we first started reviewing these shows. I want to believe that I'd be able to get through something like this and be able to complete the task.
Speaker 1: But I just don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like your body starts feeling like it's shutting down. I think people start going through some weird right, and it just kind of probably makes you just total just a total otherworldly or out of body experience.
Speaker 2: I I guess, you know, yeah, completely. I feel like we can give kudos to the people. The two people two we did it, Carrie and Kyla. We were we were texting, the group was texting last night and I wrote and said, Kyla and Carrie, that was amazing. And you know, other people said so too. They just it looked like it kind of got easier as it went, like maybe it wasn't as painful as they were standing there for a few seconds, but who knows. I mean, they just powered through, and so give kudos to them. But I don't like take away from any of the people who couldn't complete it, because that has got to be that is, like you said, it's next level, Like I don't. I don't take away from anybody who actually tried it. So funny story like linking into anybody who actually tried it. I've mentioned the Navy seals that I'm friends with, and finally one of them watched the show and he was like, you know, texting me as he's watching it.
Speaker 1: You're you're doing so good. You're sticking in.
Speaker 2: There, you know, And I was. And finally when I left the show, I was like, yeah, you know, I didn't do as well as everybody else, but or most of the other people, but I'm just grateful for the experience. And he was like, hey, listen, you know ninety nine percent of people don't even sign up, so be proud of yourself for actually signing up. So I give credit to the people who are still there and and tried it without like they didn't they didn't say, Okay, I'm not going to do this, you know, I'm going to hand you my number. They actually did it, so I give them all big credit.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Cam.
Speaker 3: I thought, uh, I thought Cam's his uh mirror mirrored room interview was really interesting, you know, after the you know, because you got to think about someone like him, who's you know, had so much success as a professional athlete, and you know, and and to feel like he's completely out of control. And I thought it was really interesting that DSA's were like controls an illusion, you know. And I'm like, I gotta be honest, I don't think of myself as a control freak. But when I was thinking about this particular question, I read through it the other day and I was like, maybe I am a control freak and I just don't know it because I'm I, you know what I mean, Like, because I think Kenya and I, like, we're both used to doing things our own way, and we've been together for twelve years, right, so we're both used to doing things our own way, and that's that's the only time we ever really butt heads. Is when I've got to design on how to do something and she's got to design.
Speaker 1: On how to do something. It's different.
Speaker 3: And usually I'll give in for the sake of argument. I'll go, oh, you know, we can do it your way.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 3: You know, like a lot of times I dig I dig in in a different way and I'm like, absolutely not, this is how we're gonna do it, because it's going to be, i know, to be successful doing it my way. Are you someone who feels like like do you And I know it's different in relationships and it would be in situational circumstances, but do you feel like you are I wouldn't say control freak, but are you kind of the one who makes a lot of the decisions because you just know how you want things done?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, I mean I like to be in control. I'm type A for sure. I like to plan. And I mean Ryan and I were just driving somewhere to an appointment and you know, I was like, I'll pull it up on ways and He's like, well, can you put it on my on my truck And I was like, I'll just I'll just tell you where to go, and it just it wasn't like I was being bossy. I was like, you know, it just feels good to be like, okay, turn you know you're going to twenty five you whatever. So yeah, I do like being controlled. I in control. I do not like feeling out of control. Yeah, I will say that on this show, you have to give up control to the DS and in doing that, some people, I feel like, maybe don't feel safe. But I always felt safe with them. I always felt like, even though I'm giving up control, I feel safe. And actually that brings me to a point that I wanted to bring up. I just did. I was a guest on the I Choose Me podcast for Jenny Garth, and I'm so excited to be on it. I love her. I mean it's the first time I've met her, and I was just oh, I was such a huge fan for anyway. I mean, who wasn't growing up, you know, in our generation. So so there have been all these news article or people are pulling from what I said on her podcast and kind of taking it out of context, and it's kind of driving me crazy. But it's related to control, like for reality shows. Anyone who's listening to this podcast, if you listen to it frequently regularly. You know that when it comes to reality shows, we all have a contract, right, we all signed contracts. You basically have to sign your life away. That's that's like the phrase that's used, right, Yeah, sign your life away and give up control. And these news outlets are pulling from it and saying that I was threatened into They said that I said that I was threatened that I would be sued by the producers, and I'm like, I'm sorry, but that's totally taken out of context from.
Speaker 1: The Bachelorette days or from now or.
Speaker 2: From the Bachelerette days. Yeah, and then and then also that I had to I was forced was the word forced to zip my lip? And you know this is all taken out of like written on a page when when we're talking conversationally, I'm like, I was forced to zip my lips because I couldn't say anything about what was going on when all the cryptic stuff was going on about Ryan. And I don't want that to look like the producers were being me. They weren't forcing me, like they weren't holding me down, forcing me to like zip my lips. And the Bachelorette producers were not threatening me. They give you a contract and they say you can sign this contract and then you can be on the show. If you don't sign the contract, you cannot be on the show. Show No, So it's just part of reality shows, you know, and it always has been it always will be. So anyway, I just wanted to comment on that because I'm like, please, don't take words out of my mouth and take it out of context like these you know, different outlets and say these things that I it's not what I meant. I meant that we are all under contract, and you basically say, of course, I'm not going to say anything. It's a television show. You want to like have some secrecy. So in terms of control, you do give away a bit of your control because you know that they're filming a show. You know that you are you have to do what they are asking you to do, and if you don't, you leave the show. When it comes to special forces, you know what I mean, right, So you do give up a little bit of control, and I'm I was okay with that. So if that makes me not a control freak, then then I guess I'm not.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe either one of us are, because I mean, you know I did. You did the Bachelor, then the Bachelotte.
Speaker 3: I did the Bacherette, then the Bachelor, so we both did you know, our our start in this industry came from two times of giving up complete and total control.
Speaker 1: So maybe we're not control freaks after all. So that's right.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, you know, like the only time Canyon and I really butt heads with when I realized we're both control freaks, is that is when we're parking, because I and I love making the jokes, like I go, you know, it's so great is we were forty I was forty when I when I met Canyon, I was forty one. I'm like, man, I was somehow able to park my car from the time I was eighteen until I was forty one without you telling me how to park.
Speaker 1: But ever since we've been married, clearly you are the king the queen because I simply.
Speaker 2: Cande, Nope, you can't. I think that's every relationship, by the way, Yeah, I really think so. The helicopter that was crazy, and actually I felt really bad for it. Seemed like the wind was the wind was either crazy on its own or just from the helicopter. You're like standing on the side, but we were like, what is happening When Kyla tried to jump off or get off, and then Alana tried to get off and she couldn't, And I think it was because the wind was pushing them like against you, and you had your arms like you had to have your arms like crossed, so they couldn't like push off, you know, like and and detach themselves from the helicopter. And so I felt bad for them because gosh, that was like a whole other element that was part of it. You're not just jumping off or getting off of the helicopter and jumping into water. You're dealing with like high intensity winds that like are preventing you. And then a lot of freaking jumps and comes like and who knows if they were being dramatic and saying that she was really close to the helicopter blades. Yeah, but that's that's so scary. I'm so glad that she didn't jump any higher.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, that's.
Speaker 3: Got to be why they I mean, like we said before, to ensure a show like this has got to be a disaster, because I mean, everything you're doing, something really bad can happen. I mean there's just no question, right. The fact that it doesn't nine times out of ten is bananas. But yeah, I mean I wonder if there's any like, uh like centrifugal force or whatever. That's also kind of like, you know what I mean, because the way the chopper's doing and stuff, and like, it's just sort of like almost pressing you against it, and so you have to like really use all your strength to get off of there, but then your hands are like this, so you can't. I don't know, you know, I mean, I'm sure there's a lot to it that from a body perspective, we don't even know that they're going through totally.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I feel like I would have had the hardest time getting off of that helicopter, just comparing myself to what happened with Kyla and Alana. Yeah, the swim would have been hard. And when they put on the life preserver, Ryan was like, it's really hard to swim, which is so true with a life jacket on, it's just awkward, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Well, and especially you also have on multiple layers, right.
Speaker 2: You still have on boots and yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that might keep you a little more buoyant.
Speaker 3: I suppose, so you don't die, but you are definitely struggling to move and keep yourself. I mean, yeah, the whole thing to me is just a disaster. I mean, I don't even know what I would do in that circumstance.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, yeah, I mean I kinda that's that's the kind of task that I would have liked to be able to do, because even though it seems like scary watching it from home, being kind of in the task that I was a part of, I actually wasn't as scared in the moment as I feel like I would have been scared kind of watching it from my house, if.
Speaker 1: That makes any sense, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so I feel like I would have. I feel like I would have really liked that challenge. And who knows if I would have succeeded and gotten to the buoy in time or not, right, But I feel like I'm an okay swimmer, and as long as I could actually you know, get off of the helicopter because of the winds, I think I have been okay.
Speaker 3: Well that's I mean, that's cool, Like the part of me is because I think that's kind of the interesting thing about this show. Because you were there, you do understand the conditions and and everything else, but you also push your body to the limit, and so you can actually look at this from a different standpoint, Like I'm looking at it when you know, I see I see Cam Newton do something, and I'm like, oh, okay, so Cam was able to do that. I guess maybe I could do that in my mind, but I've never done any of these things that y'all had to do, and so you know, I'm really going out there on a limb thinking that I could just you know, match up with Cam Newton.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I do think it's pretty crazy. You know, it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy Cam Newton. I did. I will say I texted the group last night and said that I really thought it was beautiful how Cam was being vulnerable and his mirror room interview, like he was like, huh, yeah, that's true. I don't like control, and I feel like he he gave it up to them, even though you know, he was, you know, kind of complaining about being played or whatever. At first, I thought it was good of him to you know, recognize that he wasn't getting played. This is the show that he signed up for and you know, admitting to that, and then we have to talk about the the a burpie situation. Oh my goodness. I Ryan and I were talking about it, and I feel like we both agree that when you're doing a certain number of burpies or push ups or setups or whatever, I always lose track. Always, yep, right, And so I wonder how much of it because I can't imagine that any of them actually did it on purpose, and they didn't seem to, like when they got caught be like oh whoops, like you know what I mean. They didn't act like they were being caught. They were like, wait, what I only did that?
Speaker 3: Many imagine how tired you are? Like for me, like, when I'm doing and stuff like that, it's a timed thing. It's not me counting to twenty right, right. First of all, I do twenty burpies. I'm throwing up any of mine. But if it's a timed situation and someone's like time, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, whatever I just did is enough?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So I feel like that.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're right, because I do feel like you're so mentally and physically beaten down from everything you've been doing that yeah, you know, maybe you do lose count of you know, twenty burpies because you're still not able to breathe, You're exhausted, you're hardly pushing your arms up.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, I do.
Speaker 3: Burfies at the gym, and Kenyon makes fun of me because I literally by the fourth one, I don't even really jump.
Speaker 1: I'm just like just like my body just kind of goes up. I mean, because I'm just so tired. I'm like, Oh, that's the least important part. Y. Yeah, Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I think these guys are just so beaten, so tired, so so you know, fatigued from lack of sleep, you know. I mean we keep hearing that as a as a constant too, right, Like, oh, make maybe two hours a night or three hours a night, and it's a miserable sleep, right, It's like you're scared of how are we waking up tomorrow morning?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 3: You know, when they come and pulling us out to parade, who knows. So I feel like there's a lot of that that would just really start to factor in after several.
Speaker 2: Days completely, oh completely and not having like great sleep or food or anything like they are all they're getting to the point where they're depleted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where accidents happen, right, Yeah, yeah, I mean that's like terli Q said when we interviewed Q too, He's like, this is when you know, towards the end, is when you start mistakes start happening, people start falling out because they're just they can't keep it together. And that's when you need to be at your best, when you're at av cl or when you're a recon marine or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know. So yeah, yeah, pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Stuff, Okay, And then Alana was featured a lot in this, which I loved seeing. I like, I'd love hearing her backstory or a little bit of it. And she definitely was talking about how she has a hard time, how she's sensitive and has a hard time with confrontation. I am so sensitive, and I obviously that's why I was crying when Q was like, you don't belong here, you need to go home. You know, I'm just crying. At least I wasn't fighting back, not that I would have had a prayer, but anyway, I totally relate to her and and the fact that it's it is really really hard getting yelled at even if and I did understand why they were doing it, you know, like it's still really hard to take. So and she's, you know, this is I think day the end of day six, right, I think it was the end of day six, So they've been there for six days, and like what I did, I felt like it was so much, but add in a fight and the jump from the helicopter and the guessing and the being buried alive, and like, oh my gosh, so much more has gone on after I left, So I totally get it.
Speaker 1: Such a mental and physical toll.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, yeah, there at this point where it's like, you know, and and I forget who said this to us. I think it was Christy Carlson actually who said this, but uh, who's Carlson Romano? Sorry? I remember her saying that her husband had told her that it's the mental is more important than the physical. Or maybe he didn't say more important. I don't exactly remember what he said exactly Harder, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's keep it together mentally and you will make it through better than if all you can do is keep it together physically. Right, So I feel like, you know, that's got to be such a big part of it because I'm you know, I like to think that I'm not and I am sensitive, don't get me wrong, but I like to think that I can. I can block some stuff out, but I'm still a pretty sense in person. But I would think after a while of someone just barking up my tree, I would get to the point where I'd be like, okay, enough, Like I think I just lose my I would lose it, totally lose my call. And you know, I think that's where Cam was at. I think that, you know, because it was like he's in survival mode. He's like, you know, I feel like you're everyone's kind of at that breaking point right now, and this is really when people start falling off.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like, really when people start even.
Speaker 3: The most incredibly conditioned athlete you know, is losing his.
Speaker 1: Mind right now.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I think that that says something, you know, it really does about how intense this training is for those Marines and those Navy guys and everybody else.
Speaker 2: I don't know, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Again, I like to think I could do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also loved seeing I just I love the mirror Room interviews because it really shows us a side of these people that we've never known before, probably not like Carrie Hart talking about his brother and his dad, and I just I love being able to really hear their stories. Kylo's too, So I look forward to more of that. What I want to know is, now that we've seen episode three, who are your Are your predictions for who will make it until the end still the same? Who are you thinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I think relatively the same. I mean I think, uh, Carrie has proven himself to be, you know, like a beast, you know, just that it really is, I mean, and it's like watching him is kind of like, Okay, maybe this is my horse, you know, But I still I still think, you know, I mean, I still think they're all you know, everyone that I mentioned before is still up there.
Speaker 1: But I'm starting to lean.
Speaker 2: Who did you mention before? Remind me I.
Speaker 3: Had Cam, Carrie Brody and then Kayla. Yeah, it's really interesting to me because now I feel like, you know, and I also don't want to come off like I'm not giving the women enough respect on this by the way, So it's like that's that part is important to me too, because I feel, you know, in the history of my life anyway. All the women in my life are way mentally and physically more capable than me.
Speaker 1: Right, So I mean I'm not delivering a child, you know, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Going through, you know, all the trials and tribulations of childbirth and everything else. And so I've always grown up around strong women. I've always surrounded myself with strong women. So you know, I don't want it to sound like I'm not, but I just feel like Carrie is so.
Speaker 2: Formidable and he's a great leader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he really is.
Speaker 2: Like he encourages, like when he was encouraging Kyla, and like when Cam was like back in it, He's like, I'm glad you're back in it. Actually he said. I Actually I texted the group too and said that was great advice, Carrie, but I can't remember what he said. Let's see, I have your moment. And then we got a reset when Kayla was having a hard time, and I said life advice for everyone, Carrie, like that, really truly have your moment and reset. You know that is great advice for anything in life. You know, you just feel it. I've always felt like, don't push it down. Yeah, feel the feels, feel it, get through it and then reset. I thought that was really really great advice. So, yes, he is, he's a beast.
Speaker 3: You can tell he's someone who is who's probably practiced what he preaches too, because all of his life experiences, like you said, all the broken bones and everything else, it's like he's had to go through it. And also, I mean, you know, let's be honest, I mean, his life now is like I mean, like he said, he's like, well, you know, a couple times a year, I'm I'm tour dad.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm Pink.
Speaker 3: And he's like, I'm used to being Pink's husband, you know, and it's like she's she's known for being a strong personality too, So he's I think, you know, he's in that sick circumstance where he's probably got to go somewhere, get himself composed, get back in it. He's probably had to do that a bunch, you know, in his life, especially from injuries and everything else. So yeah, I think it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Interested to see, you know, I'm interested to see what happens in the next episode.
Speaker 1: I mean, each one of these episodes is like a quest for me.
Speaker 3: It's like it's two hours of me just like going through a battery of emotions. I don't know why I get so emotional watching this show, Like I I just feel like I'm like, especially in the mirrored rooms parts, I like they come out of the mirro room.
Speaker 1: I feel like these guys are my friends. I want to be there for them.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm just I'm buying the whole show hook Line and Synker, I mean, I'm in it, you know, And I'm.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that I am because i haven't had a show.
Speaker 3: I haven't had a show that I've been this compelled to watch in a long time.
Speaker 1: So it's been Yeah, it's been really great, you know.
Speaker 3: And and I mean obviously because of you being on there, but I think also just I really think this cast is pretty spectacular and the different personalities and the different levels of respect that I have for so many of them, and you know, and so to see them come through this whole thing is it's been pretty I'm gonna have mad respect for whoever's left stand at the end, because I got tons of respect for everybody else who hasn't made it that far yet. So I just feel like it's It's really going to be interesting to me to see who does that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, I mean, I know, but I still want to see their journeys, you know. I want to see how it all, how it all plays out for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited. I'm excited to be.
Speaker 2: Watching I know, that's for sure. It is exciting. So everybody can tune into Special Forces every night, every Wednesday night on Fox and then starting the day after they will be streaming the episode on Hulu. So you can tune into all the episodes on Hulu right now. Thanks for recapping. I know you have to go, but thanks for listening to the almost famous OG podcast. Everybody. We have some really great interviews coming up with Marion Jones. I interviewed Rudy and Billy and that was you guys. I literally told all of the recruits from the show that they should have the DS do like their psychological like you know, full circle interview at the end, because I'm like, it kind of gave me closure, Not that I felt like I really needed it, but it kind of gave me a little closier to like see them smiling and happy and like laughing with me. I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, I know. It was amazing. So I hope everyone listens to those amazing interviews coming up, and hopefully we'll have the rest of the cast on too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, absolutely, well, thank you for making time for me to be honest with you today. I was excited to talk to you, and thanks everyone for listening. We love having you guys as almost famous OG followers, so thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's right, Okay, we'll have fun text this.
Speaker 1: Bob, Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You welcome