Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 3: You're not interested in art? Now?
Speaker 1: No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 3: We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: From Chicago. This is film Spotting.
Speaker 2: I'm Josh Larson and I'm Adam Kempinar.
Speaker 4: Please state to.
Speaker 5: Your name, roll mean Grace.
Speaker 3: Please spoke up from a coma.
Speaker 5: There's several light years from my apartment.
Speaker 1: And I'm not an astronaut.
Speaker 3: I'm not an astronaut.
Speaker 1: I'm not an astronaut.
Speaker 5: If you don't go, you die with the rest of us.
Speaker 1: The best movies of the year so far have come in all shapes and sizes, from into family dramas to epic sci fi and everything including alien, zombies and talking cheap in between.
Speaker 2: Our shepherd was murdered, and we shall solve the crime. We'll share our favorites of the movie year with our top five films of twenty twenty six so far. That and more ahead on film Spotting. Welcome to film Spotting. Did we wait to do our top five films of twenty twenty six so far? So we could include Christopher Nolans The Odyssey. Well, it turns out one of us was able to go see it before we sat down to tape this show as we are doing right this moment. That was you, Josh, and we talked about what our policy was going to be, whether or not it would be eligible. Now, of course, at the time we talked about it, we didn't know whether or not you wanted it to be eligible. Where did we come out.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say this as neutrallly as possible because I want to hold the suspense until our actual review, Adam, which will be next week. I'm setting it aside out of this list, not considering it not eligible, and it is not eligible, So got it. Let's just put it that way. I one of my own odyssey to see it. It was in the nineties, you know here as it is everywhere in Chicago. I braved riding my bike along the wild waves of Lake Michigan made it a good that it was like two and a half miles to see it at the theater, and cannot wait, of course to talk about it. But we'll say no more, not even giving a hint, not even going to suggest whether or not it would be on this list. To me, it doesn't exist for the purposes of this show.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got it. It could be his number one film of the year, it could be his number five, or it could be his least favorite movie of the year. Exactly. We won't know until next week when you hear our conversation about Christopher Nolans The Odyssey. Later on this show, we will play Masacre Theater and we will have poll results. We'll hear what you think the best film of the year so far. Is a reminder, Film Spotting is now available as a video podcast. You can watch us talk over at YouTube dot com slash film Spotting. We are at or a little past Josh the halfway point of the year. But this is roughly when we usually take stock of the movie year so far and we share our top five movies of the year so far. Let's jump in. I don't know if it was as difficult a process. It never is for me anyway as difficult a process as when we actually have to think about the top ten, which is something that has a lot more meaning, and we do, really we just we work so hard on that list. We worry about seeing enough films, and certainly we're going to have blind spots. You already heard I didn't see The Odyssey. There's one other film that was a major one for me that I wanted so badly to fit in before forming this list, and I wasn't able to. And I'm only going to omit mentioning it here because I think it has a chance of making your list. If it didn't, then I'll save it for honorable mentions. I'll include that regret there. So how do you want to get us started?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely less pressure this time of year. Definitely still blind spots. But I will say it made me realize what I felt, you know, under the surface, is that this has been a great movie year so far. When I sat down and looked, I have a top ten that I would feel quite good about basically if we had to do it right now, and knowing that there are films I need to catch up with and so many good ones ahead. I think this is going to be a banner you for movies by the time we get to the end of it. So very excited to look at my top five so far. It's also a chance for me to play catch up a bit. It turns out two of the movies on my list I wasn't able to review on the show, Adam, because I was traveling in both cases. So I think in both cases Vultures Roxannahatti was kind enough to sit in and do that review with you. We'll see some I don't think I know quite exactly where you landed because I haven't had a chance to go back and listen to those reviews. Yeah, I'm looking at my list now, so maybe you can tell me what you thought with my number five. Here I know where you Goell me what you thought of I Love Boosters because love love am I strong do I love I Love Boosters. It's number five on my list, But that means, you know, at the end of the year it could still be in the top ten. It could have been bumped bumped off, but I don't know. I had a bit of a journey with this one, Adam, because perhaps naively I thought that Boots Riley's follow up to Sorry to Bother You, which did make my Top ten list the year, came out. I thought, you know, I'm sure his follow up is going to be a bit more focused, a bit more disciplined, you know, because I don't think you described Sorry to Bother You that way. Well, that's not how I would describe I love blisters either. I mean, in comparison, I think the story here is looser. I think the satire is more sporadic, and the ending this was interesting to me, especially for the year we're living in. The ending I found unconvincingly optimistic.
Speaker 2: I'll say, Okay, yes, yet I agree.
Speaker 1: Yet I was recognizing, okay, I was recognizing all that during the movie, and then I was having this parallel awareness that I would never find another movie like this from another filmmaker. The voice, the energy, the visual inventiveness, and I just thought, what do I care if it's not the most disciplined thing. We need to treasure an idiosyncratic vision like this when we get it on the big screen. Plan together we empty out every single metro designer in the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: Without to take what's allid We should coordinate?
Speaker 3: What don't we waiting for taking everything.
Speaker 2: It's not even that yellow.
Speaker 3: In air anymore.
Speaker 1: So that's where I landed. I thinking right now that I Love Boosters might be the messiest great movie of twenty twenty six, and I'm probably okay with that. For those who need a reminder, it has been out for a while now. This stars Kiki Palmer as the leader of a crew of bandits who are lifting high fashion and then resell it via underground markets, and you know, appropriate to that subject matter. The color popping costume and production design was incredible. I think every performance hits its mark. Of course Palmer, she's dynamite whenever she's on screen. Taylor Page, who I loved in Zola, is so funny. Naomi Aki's been doing great recent work. Mickey seventeen is one of the films she's been in. Really liked Isaa Gonzalez, who I don't think I've seen maybe since Baby Driver and Poppy Lou shows up to me. Moore really surprised me with the vicious comic chops she shows as this vindictive fashion mogul. So oh oh, Lakeith Stanfield, I don't think anyone, I don't think anyone knows how to use Lakeith Stanfield's particular energy as well as Boots Riley. I think of it as like this mixture of sorrow and serenity, but also I find it quite hilarious. He's got a small part in this, so yeah, crucial, but I enjoyed him. Yeah. I was basically able to cutch this just before it left theaters. If you need to catch up with it, it is now available to rent via various services. I think it's at that higher twenty dollars price point right now. Hopefully that will drop soon. I'm guessing I'm sensing you might have not had quite the same experience with this one.
Speaker 2: Adam, No too messy for me, and the ending I get it.
Speaker 1: I get the ending was.
Speaker 2: Definitely too unconvincingly optimistic, and that's something I did talk about during the review. The conversation I had with Roxanna, she was more definitely way more on your side of the ledger. In fact, she I think was more enthusiastic than you, Josh I Wow, okay, maybe say, of course, I don't know all the films she's seen this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher on her list of the best films of the year based on how she talks about it, because I didn't hear as many reservations in her review. Yes, idiosyncratic voice. I really enjoyed that, and I enjoyed many things about the movie, including some of those performances that you singled out. I'm still not entirely sure what Lakeith Stanfield is doing in that movie, and.
Speaker 1: It felt like being Lakeith Stanfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt like it felt like Boots Riley just needed to put him in there. And and sometimes that may be okay because I like watching him so much on screen, But that last thirty minutes or so is where everything just goes off the rails too far for me. I'm glad that. I'm glad that you were able to to find enough in it to redeem the review. So I love Boosters your number five. I've got a film at number five that you probably won't have on your list. It is the the big box office surprise of twenty twenty six. A horror movie. Is this you're going with? OBSESSI horror movie. It can't be the first horror movie to ever make a top ten for me, but maybe I should go back and look. Obsession is my number five movie, Yeah, of the year. And it's because I realized, especially as I looked back over my notes, I have as many notes about that movie, positive reflections, responses, but also just ideas, more than any movie, as many or more in response to that as I did any movie we've discussed this year, so good song, and they're about performance, and one performance in particular, but performance generally about lighting, about composition, about editing, and a lot of this we did get into during our long conversation about this film. You can find it in the film spotting feed if you didn't hear our review of Obsession. But also I mentioned ideas. It's provocations, unlike for me back Rooms, which gets a little too messy here I'll use that word again, MESSI in its world building, the details, and a movie like one we talked about in Bonus Content recently, a movie like it follows that maybe needed a few more details for me to really get engaged with. I thought Obsession threaded the needle just as it needed to. The other provocations, like the main character bear his ability to deny what he fundamentally knows to be true, that this isn't really her, this isn't really the girl that he fell in love with and something seems to be off how much his love for her is grounded in the physical pleasure he derives from her as that physical object, And how to want to make someone love you is effectively to want to dehumanize them, to strip away from them everything that makes them who they are as an individual. All of those things we did discover us and were things that I was thinking about for a good week after I saw the movie Obsession. So you have craft, but you also have those those themes that were provocative, and I mentioned performance in one in particular. Apparently not official, but it seems that the breakout star of that film, and deservedly so, Indie never Ready, has met with Michael Mann about being in Heat two. Like I needed any more reason to be excited about Heat two, but yeah, put her in everything. I want to see more of Indie never Ready. So Obsessions my number five.
Speaker 4: Wow, no no what no no no, no, no, no, no, no. Nice.
Speaker 1: I liked Obsession and she's my favorite thing in the movie. I would say, absolutely, We're going to do for our film spotting family members a bonus show on our favorite performances of the year. So safe to say we'll both have more to say about Robba Blades on that episode. But yeah, I do like the film. I love seeing horror on your list. So this We're off to a great start here as far as I'm concerned. All Right, My number four is the Invite, which I just talked about on last week's show. I gave it a huge recommendation. It's only grown in my estimation since then, partly because I've only heard more good things about it from pretty much everyone in my life who goes to the movies. And these are you know, these aren't like cinephiles either. These are just like civilians who catch a film every once in a while, and they're coming out of this thing just delighted. And every time they tell me that, it's like, yeah, was really fun. That was just incredibly fun. So we have Olivia Wild and Seth Rogan here as this troubled married couple. They invite their upstairs neighbors for a visit that goes goes sideways, goes upside down, and it goes all all over the place all sorts of directions. Penelope Cruz and Edward Norton are that other couple. It took you a while to come to the door, and it sounded like you were arguing.
Speaker 5: No. I just want to be honest.
Speaker 1: We were We were at the door before we rang, and we could hear you were fighting.
Speaker 5: Oh we were talking.
Speaker 2: We were we were fighting.
Speaker 3: We were fighting a bit of a contentious environment. And here's what I understand. If that's repellent to you, no hard feelings, you know what I mean, completely understand.
Speaker 1: You know, we love a contentious environment. I never doubted Olivia Wilde. I knew she had comic directing chops, and that is on display here from behind the camera. I did not know. I was probably like if you had asked me how Olivia Wilde is on screen as an actor, even in you know, BookSmart and Don't Worry Diarlinge her other directorial efforts, I would have probably said, she's fine. Yeah, you know, she's fine. I think she was in a Tron remake at some point. I remember her in Man, the way she just elevates this as one of the four. Here her hilarious quick twitch expressions in response to all this stuff going around her. Again that performances of the year Bonus Show is coming up for film spotting family members, I will say more about her as well on that show. But for now, this is number four on my list, easily the twenty twenty six movie I've been recommending the most of people. Just incredibly funny, knowing a great time of the theater, which is where you can still find it. So if you've not made it there yet, get to a theater, have you had a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one, Josh, that's the one, the one, that's the one I needed to get to the one theater near me that's playing it, and they're just I may get to this when I get to my number three pick into more detail about why I couldn't see it, but there just weren't enough showtimes for me to make it. Desperate to see it. Knowing how much you liked it, how many critics were raving about it, you had to think it had a decent shot of making my list, And so the fact that it's a blind spot for me at this point really is is crushing me. But that was my biggest regret in terms of movies I didn't get to see. But I mean, it's fresh, it's just forming it. It just came out like ten days ago. So Adam were always praising the theatrical experience. We talk about how a big comedy, something like The Invite, you got to see in a theater with a crowd to get those laughs. Horror movies, of course you want to see.
Speaker 1: It with a crowd just for safety. But you know the screams too, the screams. You got to share the screams. You also want to be in a theater for the images, the giant images, and Christopher Nolan is one of those filmmakers who is going to deliver on that front. That's why everyone is why everyone is so excited about the Odyssey. If you're excited about the Odyssey, you'd be more excited about seeing the Odyssey for free, which you can do with Regal Unlimited. Regal Unlimited is the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits, and right now Regal is offering film spotting listeners endless movies for less. If you sign up for Regal Unlimited using code film spot twenty six, you're going to get fifteen percent off. Regal Unlimited is the only truly limitless movie subscription pass. You can see any standard two D movie at any time with no blackout dates or restrictions. Also, with Regal Unlimited, you'll save money not only on tickets, but also on snacks. Members get ten percent off all non alcoholic concessions. So sign up now in the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive our disco.
Speaker 2: Jason, if you wanted to let us know that our son is dead on the front step, I told him not to worry.
Speaker 6: He will come back to life soon.
Speaker 2: Here my number four, and I'm going to resort here to a tactic we occasionally employ when we're forming lists like this. I'm going to quote from one of our great critics, someone we feature on our show, someone who is part of the Film Spotting family of podcasts, Alison wilmore Over at Vulture. And it's because it's so brilliant, and it's also because, I mean, she says it better than I could about this film, but also because we talked about this movie so in depth, Josh, that I realized, I just I can't repackage my thoughts about this movie. And if it makes my top ten at the end of the year, I don't know. I'm I'd have to watch it again and see if I can find some new nugget, some new insight to pull from the movie. At number four, I've got Sophie Ramvari's debut, Blue Heron, this autobiographical film. So I'm going to read from the first paragraph of Alison Wilmore's rave for Blue Heron. She says, Blue Heron is an autobiographical film pulled directly out of writer director Sophie Rombari's childhood, from the period when her parents, both Hungarian immigrants, moved their family of six into a new house on Vancouver Island. But what it really feels like is a seance, a way of using cinema not just to put the past on screen, but to commune with it, to interrogate it for information that her younger self was unable to grasp at the time. It's a tender but devastating work that exists in the nether world between documentary and fiction, where the innate artificiality of recreating something that actually happened allows a filmmaker to get to a greater truth. For asme L Mudir in The Mother of All Lies, that meant using miniatures to coax out details of her family's experiences during Morocco's brutal Years of lead for Joshua Oppenheimer in the Act of Killing, having two unabashed death Squad leaders re enact some of the murders they committed under Suharto seems to force the men to reconsider their participation in politically sanctioned mass slaughter. So, using those two films as a touchstone for how artificiality can lead to truth, Blue Heron in Allison's estimation doing something similar. The movies I referenced during our review were some of my favorites of recent vintage josh like Aftersun and All of Us Strangers, and going back a little further Iranian cinema like Kirostami's Close Up and Jafar Panahi's The Mirror. And I said it then and I will say it again because it is still something I think about in relation to this film. If it could have somehow hit the truth for me through that meta exploration that those four films did, with the power that those four films did, obviously it would be my number one film of the year so far, and it would probably be entrenched there all year. It doesn't quite get there for me. The technique that romvari employs and how she employs it the documentary style. I tried to I tried to articulate as best I could why it didn't work. Maybe that is the impetus for me to rewatch it before the end of the year, to try to get even further at why I didn't fully connect with it the way I do tend to connect with movies that employed this type of technique. That's something I will have to deal with. As I said, maybe a little bit later in the year. That said, we did have such a rich discussion about this film because of the things Allison is describing so eloquently, the fact that it is it does feel like a seance using cinema to commune and interrogate the past and the technique, setting aside the meta aspects, setting aside the fracture between past and present that happens in this film. Just some of the performances, some of the cinematography is so satisfying to watch, especially for a debut filmmaker. There's a reason why it's a Golden Brick nominee for us at this point and a strong contender for the award.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, probably the front runner, I would say at this point for Yeah, our award for a new Release from an Emerging Filmmaker. I love Allison's comparison the analogy there to a seance. I think that's perfect. I'm going to jump up on my list because to continue the Blue Heron conversation and further encourage people to check it out while it's top of mind. I had it at number two. And Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear some of those again when you're talking about reservations on a top five of the year so far list their nitpicks. But I understand what you're saying. I would have thought it might have been higher on your list, So there's something there you're wrestling with. I agree the meta elements are a plus, which is something I'm actually suspicious of. You know, the character being a filmmaker, and we learn eventually trying to reconstruct a film. I never found that to be navel gazing here in terms of that construct or the formal execution of it, I found it to be continually inventive. And Rumvari has this rare touch that is both delicate in searing somehow, and that's in a single image. I don't mean she's delicate in this sequence and then searing in the next I mean in a single shot, she captures both and can carry the thematic and emotional weight I think of this time. I don't know if this came up in our review, and I should maybe save some of this because we have a likely top ten lister for me too. Here the one of the young girl standing over her brother at the front porch and he's just laying on his back, you know, he's awake, just laying and she's just looking down at him, trying to figure him out, but not aggressively or intrusively. And it's that sort of composition that captures again this the girl and then the adult young woman's experience. So well, yeah, so Blue heron certainly encourage listeners to check it out if they haven't. I checked earlier this week and it looks like it is available for purchase at this point via Prime and Apple TV.
Speaker 2: All right, we've heard three of your picks that we jumped ahead a little bit. That means we are at my number three and Mace. Surprise you a little bit, Josh, how much I liked this movie because I liked it more than you though, Because I liked it more than you, You're probably not shocked too much that it's on my list. I actually have Toy Story five, and I thought, on my list, yeah, you were really, I really, I really went for it. And I did mention this during the review. But when you have a film that delivers at this point two of the strongest moving moments of the year contenders, one involving Jesse and one involving Bonnie, that that's going to stick with you when you're forming a list like this. And I had a lot of notes on this film too, and I was trying to remember what we covered and maybe what we didn't. And I know that this is pedestrian ground. I don't think we got into this from my notes, but as I said, it may be pedestrian, but I still wanted to bring it up because everybody talked about this aspect of the film. It is the obvious point to talk about in terms of the technology, and we got into it a bit, but I did want to at least mention that when you're watching this film in terms of how it connects with you, connects with me as an adult, as a father, why it did resonate with me the way it did. I've got kids who are four and six. They're younger than Bonnie then right, And you can judge me all you want. At this point, they wake up almost every day, both of them wake up almost every day, and the first thing out of their mouths is not can I have breakfast? It's can I have my iPad? And often they go to bed asking for their iPads, And they ask for their iPads five to seven at least times throughout the day. Now, I suppose to the fact that they ask for their iPads that often shows you that I'm not giving it to them as often as they want it, and I'm doing a decent job of limiting the amount of time they are on them. But it does show you the stranglehold these devices have. But it's not just on these kids. It is on us as adults as well. And that's why I do think that shot in the film is such a good one, That shot of the whole neighborhood and all those screens lit up yp and everybody from kid to adult, they're on a device, and they're all in separate rooms, they're all separated from each other, they're all detached, they're all disconnected. There's a time when that shot would have been families all sitting around a television together, and that's not what we see anymore.
Speaker 1: And it would have been used incriminatingly right.
Speaker 2: Together, talking right exactly, something like that. You're right, but it still would have been at least they were spending time together. Sure, now we can look at it wistfully, like longingly, like that better exactly, at least that was better than this. Right. But but there are times where we also and and if you're one of those parents out there, don't be too hard on yourself. There are times where you give in and you lose the battle. We need breaks, we have things to get done. We used to when I was babysat as a kid, they would put on Sesame Street, right, and we could still do that. Sometimes we can put on Sesame Street, or now it's you know, pop Patrol. The TV shows have changed for the most part, but but really it's iPads now. And watching this film, it just it just reinforced how it's not just kids' anxieties, it's ours as parents about how we use devices, but also how worried we are about the control they have over our children and the potential damage that they're doing. And here's the other part, Josh, why this movie is meaningful to me is and this is I was going to say with my number three pick why I didn't get to why I didn't get to the invite. Partly was last week my wife was gone the whole week, got to go on a trip and was out and that was fantastic, but that meant I was home, you know, I was home with the kids myself. And you're not going to get anything done sometimes if you don't say, hey, here's an hour where you can get on the iPad. So that happened occasionally, So there you go. I'll hop to that. I'm not a perfect dad, Josh. I don't know if you know that about me.
Speaker 1: I have said w and I have both said many times. So ours are twenty four and twenty now, and I am never going to cast judgment on any parents who have had to deal. We just missed the cusp. They were just young enough where mobile devices were not as available as they are now, so we were not forced to make these decisions. And I hold no judgment and know from and know from just like the technological options that we had at the time and the decisions we had to make that this is this is the challenge. This is the capital the challenge for raising young kids now. And I think I liked for the record, you know, listeners who heard our review know this, I'd like Toy Story five. I think it's to its credit that it actually tackled this. We probably differ on, you know, what it had to offer at the end of the day, on it, but absolutely to its credit that they didn't just dodge the issue, right, and we're like, this is here. Our Pixars movies at their best are always for the parents, and so if they're going to keep in that tradition, yeah, this is what they had to address.
Speaker 2: And here's the last part I will say, just on a personal another personal note, my six year old I saw a lot of connection between her and Bonnie. She's creative, she's a little goofy, she's the kind of girl who every time she is the girl who every time we're at a playground, I am not kidding you, every time another kid, boy or girl walks up to her, or she walks up to them on the slide or near the slide or the steps, she says hi, and you know what she gets nine times out of ten, A blank A blank look. Josh, they don't understand why this little girl is talking to them, and they usually just ignore her and then run off. And not only that, she has a vision impairment, so as she it's older, she's going to be the girl like Bonnie who gets left out of things, who is going to struggle to connect. And yes, I am saying that maybe my defenses were down a little bit as a critic, but I don't think that that has anything to do with my reaction to the film. I don't. I'm not I'm truly not suggesting that that that had any real impact on how I viewed the movie.
Speaker 1: It just significs that.
Speaker 2: I did, I did relate to it on a very personal level, in addition to the fact that I think it's really smart filmmaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have to draw those those sorts of distinctions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and Toy Story five has has a scene like that, right where a kid puts themselves out there and and it flops. I can remember, I think witnessing that happening once to one of my daughters at that age on a playground, and you describing that, like, my heart just crumpled inside for that memory, So so thank you. For that. Thank you pick, sire, Thank you, Adam.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 1: We all feel better now. I don't know what's going on here, but so far you have horror on your list, yes, and animation on your list. I think we may be in bizarro world and I don't know where this is going to go. Now you have a meta film at number two. No, I'm gonna setting straight, filmmaker. I'm going to set thing straight. And this is actually my number three, so I'll jump back a little bit. Well, a horror pick, we have to wait to go to wait to come back to it. Yeah, we have business. Well that's a tease. I have a four tease.
Speaker 2: We got to take a moment before we get to our top two. We do want to remind you that you can go to filmspotting dot net. Just click on lists and you will see our entire top five archive. Let's take a minute, Josh to thank the film Spotting family. It's the single largest source of support for the show. Yes, we have advertising in the show, but it is the single largest source of support for the show. It keeps us doing what we've been doing for now over twenty one years. And usually Josh, at this point, we shout out a couple Film Spotting family members, but instead we wanted to just spend a couple minutes, maybe even less, on what we're calling Summer film Spotting Madness. It's the best of the nineteen twenties and thirties. This is a bracket style tournament, just like we do every year for Film Spotting Madness, but we're doing it exclusively for the family nineteen twenties and nineteen thirties, after finishing the nineteen forties back in April or May, thirty two films Summer Madness just for the Film Spotting family members. Have you had a chance to look at the play ins which we did just announce to Film Spotting family members this week, and did any of them stand out to you? We thought we would give the wider film Spotting audience just a little bit of a taste of what those play ins were.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm going to do some lobbying here, because okay, that's partly what madness is all about, right, It's it's our personal votes, but it's also trying to swing the vote, sway the vote. So I'm looking at let's see, I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with the horror concept here and gives some recommendations for votes in two of these matchups because they are horror matchups. You have a count me in despite the pun. Not so excited about that, but the title of a poll, Josh, I know, but it's it's so bad that I think the title okay, doesn't even help it anyway.
Speaker 2: You have no Saratu.
Speaker 1: You and Sam have no Sparatu against uh Dracula. And I will say that if you haven't seen these both, and some people vote at them without having seen both. I mean, I can't imagine living in that sort of world, but some people don't.
Speaker 2: We're going to pretend that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: I could see some thinking, well, you know, Dracula be able to go see obviously that must that's the one I know, that's one I've heard about. That's the one who you know, I should probably vote for that. Murnau's no Sparratu is the vote you have to make. It is, and I like Dracula Lugosi is maybe the best thing about it. The production design is incredible. No Saratu is just another level of horror, So you got to go there in that matchup. And then I think here also, conventional wisdom might be a skew bride of Frankenstein versus the cabinet of doctor Caligari. Bride of Frankenstein. I would agree better than Frankenstein. James Wal's follow up. I think he did. Yeah, he did both. It's incredible, iconic. We can all picture in our heads the imagery right now. But and maybe folks have not gotten around to see the cabinet of doctor Caligari. This is for me top ten horror of all time. So no brain or here for me, as much as I also do like Brida Frankenstein, it's got to be the cabinet of doctor Caligari in this matchup. And I'll make this one real quick, Adam. If you look at another matchup we have here, let me find it. It is the gold Rush against swing Time. Mm hmm, Fred Astaire Ginger Rogers swing Time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can see it being very easy for people to think gold Rush, chaplain. He's like one of the all time geniuses. Of course I'm going to vote for that. I don't even know which is Ster Rogers Swingtime? Is I really I've seen no, no, no, I'm saying a voter might think that okay, and I get that thinking I've seen all of their movies and I even have to pause or google on my website. You know what, which one is this again? Swing Time is I think their best. So we're not just We're not just throwing in here, you know, a nod to a stair Rodgers and sacrificing them to the god of Chaplain. In this matchup, I would go with a Stare Rogers.
Speaker 2: I think I think I would too. That's easy to say when there's a lot of chaplain in this tournament already, including one other Chaplain. Yeah, just among the play ins. But I'm with you. I love swing Time that much. I'll just mention a couple myself. I think a really tough one is the Curtiz matchup, because I'm a fan of both Angels with Dirty Faces and the Adventures of Robinhood. Very different films and two very different but great movie stars. Jimmy Cagney versus Errol Flynn. I don't know. I think I'm more of a Cagney guy. I'm probably gonna go Angels with Dirty Faces. I don't think it's gonna win, but I haven't looked at the results so far because we have started voting. Maybe maybe Flynn takes it an go Cagny in that one. Another one, Josh, that I think would be the toughest to call. I'm gonna look and see where it is while we're talking, but I feel like it just has to be close. It's not close for me, even though I do think both films are very good and both were part of a marathon, the Ernst Lubich Marathon. We have a Lubitch play in Nanatchka versus Trouble and Paradise. Part of me just thinks that Trouble in Paradise is more highly regarded. I could be wrong about that, but I love Nanatchka, and Nanacha is getting my vote. I feel like it could be very close, though, Josh, and I want to go hit refresh on this and see where it stands. And at this moment, here you go. At this moment, Trouble in Paradise is up by one vote, So that one is that one is tight. And here's here's the last one I'll single out. I have a play in called Upward Mobility, and Sam and I put Jezebel against my Man Godfrey. I have to think that my Man Godfrey is going to run away with this. But Betty Davis in Jezebel, Oh.
Speaker 1: Good, that's my pick.
Speaker 2: I'm going I'm heretical on this one. I'm taking Jezebel versus my Man Godfrey. So that's just the play ins. If you want to participate in this tournament, Round one doesn't kick off until Monday, July twentieth, you still have time to become a Film Spotting Family member and determine the best films of the nineteen twenties and thirties. Links to the polls will come via the Film Spotting Family newsletter. You can only get that if you're a Film Spotting Family member. Learn more at Film Spotting Family dot com.
Speaker 1: Now, if people are on the fence and you know participating in madness is enough to convince them to join the family, we have a summer sale going on and we don't do this all that often, but we have found that it gives a push to people. It's just maybe enough of a reason to say, Okay, I'm getting a deal here. It's time to join the Film Spotting Family. So if you'd like to do that, the promo code is Summer easy Enough, and that is going to get you twenty percent off a Film Spotting Family membership. And again, our memberships begin at four ninety nine a month, so promo code Summer. Use that through August thirty first, and you'll get twenty percent off. We will put a link in the show notes that'll bring your right to that opportunity.
Speaker 2: All right, So before we got married, we did this thing, or we said the worst thing we've ever done. I'll tell mine if we all do it, Promise what dear? This doll, beer bottles and porn.
Speaker 1: Left an RB an eye? Yeah, what's the worst thing I've ever done?
Speaker 2: Okay, I.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Our top two picks for best films of the year so far coming up in a moment. First, we do want to see how you weighed in on the best of the Year so Far poll. The options we gave listeners were these Josh twenty eight years Later, the Bone Temple, back Rooms Disclosure Day, the Drama Obsession Project, Hail Mary, the Sheep Detectives, or you could go other. We had mild drama behind the scenes here, as I suggested, there's no reason why the drama needed to be in this poll. Nobody thinks that highly of it. Nobody's going to vote for it. And well, Sam was very mildly because he's too much of a gentleman, very mildly gloating in our slack earlier today. And you're going to tell people why.
Speaker 1: It's in third place, and among the films offered, the titles offered, it's actually in second place. So we have other. The category of other got twenty percent of the vote that put it in second place, but the drama received sixteen percent of the vote. And yeah, I think you know, I'm not always I don't get into these poll kerfuffles often, Adam, because they tend to spiral on slack. But I did kind of lean Sam's way only because I've heard, you know, my daughters and her friends still talking about the drama positively months after it's been out, and so it has resonated with an audience, resonated with you me, eh, a little bit, but you know, enough people to get it a placement on the pole pretty high here. But let's go back.
Speaker 2: Remember I gave it just stay very mild thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Mild thumbs up. Yeah, yes, okay, all right, to quote Roger and Gene mild. That's on the record. Okay, yes, it is now backrooms. You were suspicious of putting on this pole, and I think I said, yeah, I don't think we need backrooms either. It ended up on the poll, and it's ended up in last place, So your instinct was correct on that three percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Take that, Sam, second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Second to last place in the poll is the Sheep Detectives with yeah, five percent of the vote. I mean, I thought this changed people's lives. Come on, what's happening here? This seems disrespectful. Hearts, this is disrespectful to me. Disclosure day only seven percent of the vote. Okay, I'll move on. Twenty eight years later, the Bone Temple received eleven percent of the vote, Adam. One of the picks you've made already on your top five of the Year so far list, Obsession got thirteen percent of the vote. That leaves the winner after all of that, with twenty six percent of the vote. Has not come up on either of our lists. We'll see if it will. But for our listeners, the best film in the year so far is Project Hail Mary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the listeners who picked it was Craig Schaeffer. As much as I'd like to support something in d slash low budget, and I really thought our listeners might end up more there, Josh. He says, I'll have to go with Project Hail Mary, Lord and Miller never fail to amaze me, and no other film has created a sense of wonder on me like this one has.
Speaker 1: Here's Bryce Maloney, the gauntlet has been thrown down, and Obsession and back Rooms maybe the modern day equivalents of Bonnie and Clyde and the Graduate Wow sea change a sea change in film history. Here for Bryce, he says, Obsession is my pick. It's esthetics and visual storytelling scream today, whereas mostly everything else on that list suddenly feels yesterday. It's a shot across the bow for Hollywood, and they'd best learned the proper lesson from what viewers have told them. With their record breaking attendance that certainly has sent waves through Hollywood. Bryce, and Yeah, Sam dropped a note here that both of these films Obsession and back Rooms right now you can see via premium vod.
Speaker 2: Damian Cannon writes nothing else has come close to the Bone Temple in terms of raw impact. The masterful and unhinged performance by Fines That's Raethe is simply one of the best I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: That title may may come up in a bit here. We heard from Nick Potter as well. I thought I might struggle with this poll until I realized that Nirvana, the Band, the Show, the movie was simply not listed. Not sure I can think of a twenty twenty six film that has bigger ambitions while also nailing everything it sets out to do. Matt Johnson and Jay McCarroll deliver ebsurdist laughs and genuine pathos in a movie that truly feels like a magic trick and deserves all the attention it can get.
Speaker 2: Okay, Devin jolly Jack boot Womb says, I don't have a runaway favorite at this point, so instead I voted other just to throw send help into the mix. I don't think it's necessarily better than my other favorites, but since it didn't make Sam's cut, I guess it needs a boost. Rachel McAdams is predictably delightful, and I had a real blast with Ramy doing Ramie stuff. Even wields kind of bad CGI like he once did kind of bad stop motion, and it totally worked for me. One of the most fun trips to the multiplex. I've had this year, sent out one I need to catch up with. Still that's on Hulu, and it's available vod.
Speaker 1: Here's Bob McHugh my favorite so far as the invite. If you told me this twenty minutes into the movie, I would have been shocked because I was on the verge of walking out. Wow, don't we have enough movies about miserable caricatures fighting. That's when the invite reveals. It's neat trick. They don't get any less miserable, but they do cease to become characters. By the end, I had achieved full empathy for them, So I have to give it credit for being the first film to alter my behavior since Final Destination two made me avoid driving behind lumber trucks.
Speaker 2: Okay, altering behavior Josh, th Wow, that doesn't happen often with movies.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I was already so interested in the invite, and now we have that from Bob. Okay. These last three are titles that have not come up that were definitely other picks, and two of them I haven't heard of, so I think it behooves us to mention them here in this poll feedback. This first one I have heard of. Eric Quigley says, dropping in to give some love to Hokum. There's nothing groundbreaking in Hokum, but it's highly confident filmmaking in every regard, and is by far the most fun I had in the theater in a very long time, not just this year. It was legitimately spooky, but also fun and funny. It looked great, had great performances and some legitimate pathos. I think it needs more love out there. You can potentially give it some love if you catch up with it VOD.
Speaker 1: I do want to see Hocum, so thanks for reminding me of Eric. I've never heard Adam either of these next two, including Blue Film, which is the vote that Steven went with here in the other category, I doubt I will have much company. But the movie that has stuck with me the most this year is the criminally underseen Blue Film. It is decidedly not for everyone. In fact, part of the reason I'm making this comment is because I can't recommend it to anyone I know without spoiling anything. Take a Stagy two hander like The Sunset Limited and cross it with Todd Solens's happiness. The result is an unflinching examination of perversion, power dynamics, and the limits of redemption PS. I also think it checks a lot of golden brick boxes. Okay, if we need to do that homework, we can find blue film on VOD.
Speaker 2: Here we go the last one from Steve Mesa. I want to give praise to a documentary I'm always looking for docs called The Python Hunt. Every year, the state of Florida holds a python removal contest. The film follows a group of eccentric hunters over the course of ten nights. Just like his previous film, Are We Not Cats? Director Xander Robbin's movie is about strangers who share an obsession, in this case, hunting Snakes. Sounds miserable, not the film Hunting Snakes. The score is tremendous and the cinematography encapsulates the Everglades beautifully. With his feature lengthd films, Robin has proven to be a fascinating filmmaker with a unique vision and a bright future. Python Hunt also VOD.
Speaker 1: Josh, I think I might have to see this. Yeah, I think I'm in.
Speaker 2: So let's get back into it now. We darted around just a little bit. We've heard your five, four and your number two because we shared a pick. So briefly recap what were those picks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, number five I love Boosters from Boots Riley, number four Olivia Wilds the Invite, and up at number two Blue Heron, one of our Golden Brick nominees at this point from filmmaker Sophie Rumfari.
Speaker 2: I had Obsession. At number five, we shared Sophie Rumbari's Blue Heron. That was my number four, and at number three I had Toy Story five. So your number three film of the year so far is.
Speaker 1: It is twenty eight years later the Bone Temple. I couldn't let you have the horror pick a horror pick on these lists, and I did not have one. Although this is what kind of horror this is? I feel like the series, this twenty eight series has made a shift with the Bone Temple from zombie horror. I know that's controversial, but at zombie horror to me to religious horror, which was absolutely fascinating. This is another review, Adam, that I missed while traveling. I think I think it was in Spain at this time, and you and Roxanna Hadadi had a great discussion about this one. I mean talk about catnet for someone. The reason I was overseas was to be part of a theology and the arts master's program. And here you have the bone temple hopping in my lap, which is essentially a showdown. It builds to the showdown between an atheist Ray Finds, doctor Ian Kelson, and a Satanist. This would be Jack O'Connell's Sir Jimmy Crystal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got.
Speaker 1: Kelson here, who's basically this hermit physician. He's presiding over this ossuary. He's constructed from all these bodies left in the wake of a savage rage virus. Kelson believes essentially in reason and science. Those are the foundations of all things, and so he treasures life, what is realistic about the inevitability and finality of death. Then you get Sir Jimmy, who we learned from a prologue to twenty eight years later, has suffered from religious trauma in his youth. Now everything's gone to hell, so why not recast yourself as the prince of the place, which is what he's done this movie, Adam, it collides in a Bonker's climax I could never have seen coming. Nia DaCosta takes over as director here, and she directs it this sequence with a psychedelic fervor at the same time gives this disciplined understanding of the compositions, so that we don't know what's happening or what's going on, but the imagery and the framing of it is so clear and arresting. This is a set piece that combines iron Maidens, the number of the Beast with Christ's final words on the cross. I mean, it's wild stuff going on here. I was fascinated by all of it and loved plumbing the meaning of it and appreciated the esthetic elements that DaCosta brought. So yeah, I liked the previous film. Twenty years later, I think The Bone Temple is doing far more compelling things in a more focused way. And if somehow you haven't seen it yet, it's streaming on Netflix right now. You can rent it via other services as well, but if you have Netflix, it's right there for you. Remind me, Adam, I know we've talked about this here and there, but where you were on this one, because you were higher on twenty eight years later, I.
Speaker 2: Was, yeah, yeah, we're just the reverse. I actually do have this in my honorable mentions like it might be my number ten of the year, even though I did spend It's one of those movies, though, and it speaks to how I feel about this series and this reinvention or revival of the series, and the promise I have for it after the previous entry that I spent most of the review lamenting the things I wish it had done better, But that's again because there's so much potential here and also because there's so many things that I do like about the film, So I have it in my honorable mentions. Okay, but I was more moved and more provoked by the last film, and we just had the opposite experience. It's really interesting. Even though even though I understand why you were prodded the way you were by this film, I certainly get it. I felt narratively this one is a little bit clunkier than the last film, and I think that's where it It got me off the path a little bit compared to the previous movie. My number two film of the year, Josh, is a movie we haven't discussed on the show. It's a film that was part of my homework for this list. It's one I was able to see because it's available on demand and it's the latest film from Christian Petsold. It's called Mirrors. Oh yeah, that's number three, and I'll give you the very brief synopsis here the official description. After a car crash kills her boyfriend, piano student, Laura is taken in by Betty, who witnessed the accident. Living with Betty's family brings comfort, but Laura starts questioning their intentions as time passes. That's accurate, like plot synopsis usually are. Technically, it's accurate, and it would be hard to be the marketing person to come up with a two sentence characterization summary of this film. But that last line really doesn't do the movie justice or speak to the mysteries of this film, and it makes the movie to me sound she starts questioning their intentions as time passes, makes it sound more ominous than the movie really is. And this film has quite a lot of lightness and optimism to it in my mind. The word is French for mirrors, and you understand why that's in the title when you watch this film. Apparently pets Old I have heard this before as someone who is pretty obsessed with the movie Vertigo, which is itself a movie about obsession. You see shades of that here, Josh, because you can say without giving away anything, that it is about one character effectively wanting another character in the movie to take someone else's place, wanting to be like someone else. But this isn't a movie about doppelgangers. It's not a movie about obsession. And although like Vertigo, I would say it is a movie about processing grief. Again, it's just not a movie that's as dark even as Vertigo is. It's also not as colorful as Vertigo is. But there is just nothing sinister here as you watch all of these characters struggle to connect with each other. And that's really more what this movie is about. And it also has at its core a question that I talked about in relation to the movie Obsession, and seems to be one I like to talk about. I'm obsessed with talking about in relation to films that offer this or present it, and that is, can a simulacrum, Can a version of something or someone offer you effectively the real thing? Offer you whatever it is you need, whatever it is you feel like you lost. Can they give that back to you, even if even if you know in your mind it's not real? Is it close enough that? That's one of the questions that this movie poses. And it's a really intimate movie but leaves you pondering big questions like that. Paula Behar, who's one of the regulars that Pets Old features, is very good in the film. Also Barbara Auer, who's someone who's been in previous Pets Old movies, very good cast in this movie. So highly recommend Miroua Number three, which is available on demand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've liked I think I've seen three or four titles from him and have liked all of them. So if you're this high on it, I'll have to put on my list to catch up with, catch up with before the year is out. Let's see. So that brings me, I believe, to my number one, Yes, which I just saw for the second time today. We're actually recording a couple hours later than we have been lately, and so I thought, you know what, I'm going to go see it again. Is this really my number one? And yes, Disclosure Day is my number one? And I think the second watch was helpful because the one thing I want to reiterate about this is as it came time to you know, Debbie and my younger daughter hadn't seen it yet and they were available, so I was like, let's go see this. And as it came closer to heading out, I was getting more and more excited to see it again. And I think that's been lost in all the debating and the nitpicking, which you know, that's what movies are for. It's fine over this that I've seen since it came out. It's just how damn exciting this is as a movie experience. I mean, Spielberg is he's you know, yeah, we're not getting Jaws. We're not getting you know, seventies or eighties Spielberg, but we're getting pretty down close here. From the opening face stomp at the wrestling match a touch the first time where I was like, wait, did I walk in the wrong theater? This is so anti Spielberg, and I take it now as his assessment of contemporary human relations, so it makes sense. But you have the train sequence, the invisibility sequence, gag, which works. This is just great, grand entertainment from a grand entertainer.
Speaker 3: People have starved for the truth. I'm a part of it now. I'm just sorry they made you a part of it too.
Speaker 4: Hello Jane, please.
Speaker 6: Have to see.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Also, since this movie came out, I've heard numerous people and these are, you know, folks I've talked to friends and colleagues, but also on podcasts and stuff, say, you know, in the moment I felt, I really felt the ending and I was there and then you know, but afterwards I didn't understand why I felt that way and what it what it exactly meant. And I think that's I think that's legitimate. That's fine. Is very interesting because the other reason I saw this second time is as you know that the dissertation I'm working on for my master's program is half Spielberg, half Scarcese. And one of the things I've been exploring and using, which our listeners are so smart they're probably familiar with this, but is the idea of effect theory or affect theory, which is the way art affects us in ways that bypass our rational intellect but can still be felt deeply, if unidentified viiably. So it's meaningful in a way that is not intellectually processible. Let me say, it's not the same as emotional. It's different than just being because that can be manipulative, right, manipulating our emotions, and this is the register that a lot of Spielberg's work operates in. I think it's why he focuses so much on faces when there is something amazing happening in his movies. It's interesting how the human characters are the focus because the movie is interested in how they're being affected as much as the movie is interested on the spectacle that is affecting them. And I think this speaks back to how people are describing the experience with this movie, right is like, but I want to know why I felt that way, Like what, They're a little suspicious, like what wait a minute, but what does it mean? And again I think that's fair. I think we should ask those questions. But it speaks to the power that Spielberg still have has in this way. I'll also say real quickly here, I kind of in the moment in our review of Disclosure Day wondered if it was his Irishman Right Again, Scorsese on my mind as a movie reflecting back on other genre movies or movies in that theme that they've tackled before, And I think it is a capstone on a career obsession in similar way, you know, Irishman, Gangsters, this aliens. Interestingly, both verge on the didactic think. At the end of The Irishman, there's that literal conversation with the priest with Frank, the DeNiro character, about confession and redemption. I mean, laying it all out for you in a way that Raging Bull left you to figure out, right, And we have here Emily Blunt speaking directly to the camera about empathy. Also this viewing today. Both have open ended finales. So my favorite touch in The Irishman is that open door to Frank's room. He asked the priest to leave the door open visually there and open ending, and then here Blunts unfinished speech. We get one word from her and the movie ends, and it's like my younger daughter was like, wait, they are they planning a sequel for this? And it's like, no, this is where these filmmakers are in their career. They're they're at once didactic and also leaving it in the audience's hands. So I think Irishman, you know, is a defining late career statement for Scorsese. I think Disclosure Day is the same. I don't I understand those people have qualms about it and quibbles about it. I don't know if it'll be this high at the end of the year for me, but right now it's at number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like to see it that high on your list. And I'll say this about my reaction to the film, and you can go back and listen to our entire review where I express this, I didn't rethink it later. I'm going to use a phrase that you used with your number five pick. I found it at the end unconvincingly optimistic. In the moment. I was moved in different ways at different points in the film, but not at the ending. I was taken out of the movie at the ending, and that actually undid a lot of the goodwill for me with that film. But I ultimately, as I said, I ultimately had to recognize the thrilling experience most of that film was for me in the theater. That's why I when I had to come down on Rotten Tomatoes, whether I was giving it the tomato or whatever that other symbol is, I said, yeah, I'm positive on this movie because quibbles aside that that was the experience I had for the most part in the theater with Disclosure Day, so it earned it. It's a divisive film. It has been, and that's great that Spielberg makes my divisive film. This movie for me at number one. I don't think it's I don't think it's very divisive. I don't know what the I don't know what the Rotten Tomatoes score is. I imagine it's pretty high. Part of that, though, is not many people are seeing it, Josh. The people who are seeing it are the audience for this movie. And there there was a part of me that thought maybe I gave this a brief review on the show, like one of those two minute things. But I can't remember doing that, or I can't say definitively I did. I have no record of it. I didn't check the film spot and guide to the archives on Letterbox to confirm it. But this may be the first real mention of it on the show. And it is my number one film of the year so far. Nirvana, the band, the show, the movie.
Speaker 1: I was wondering about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's so so good. Directed by Matthew Johnson who who directed the BlackBerry movie, and he co stars along with Jay McCarroll, and they play themselves or versions of themselves, Matt and Jay who they are trying so bad. They're trying so hard as musicians who are in this band, Nirvana, the band, they're trying so hard to book a gig at the Rivoli, this club, that they end up traveling back to two thousand and eight, I said on Letterbox, my little one sentence, two sentence review was I don't know how they pulled this off. And I say, and by this, I mean such an absurdly gorilla pastiche with legitimate emotional stakes and the setup there is that when I say how they pulled this off, as anybody who's seen the movie knows that that's just part of the wonder of this film is that so much of it was shot with these stolen sequences, multiple ones at the sea in Tower in Toronto that you simply can't and others, but at sea and Tower where you simply can't. Have you seen it, Josh, did you catch up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 1: I can't. I still can't, And I have gone on deep dives trying to figure out what's fakery and what you.
Speaker 2: Simply can't can't. You can't accept that they're authentic, but you also can't believe watching it that they're not authentic. No matter how hard, no matter how hard you investigate the frame and the activity within it, it it is such a mind bender watching it. It's such a conundrum. Everything just feels so real and I truly have no idea and I'm just going to accept whatever the screen gives me. And it's it's a back to the future parody, and there's I seem to recall shades of pulp fiction in it, and I don't remember how many other movies that it references, and sometimes that can just bog down a movie. And often you can you can respect, especially as a movie. You can respect some of those jokes or laugh at a few of them. No, it doesn't here bog down or slow down anything. Somehow, every one of those references works. And the part about stakes is when it comes to these characters actually having to make emotional choices. I was totally invested, and rather than taking the cliche route you think you're going to get the obvious turn of events, it still surprises you in the moments where it needs to surprise you. It did for me anyway. It's just such an inventive, funny movie. And when I say funny, there are at least three there's three I can think of for sure off the top of my head that are three legitimate contenders for funniest moment of the year. That's why it's number one.
Speaker 1: Time machine plan.
Speaker 2: This is going to be the last plan you and I ever have to do.
Speaker 1: And as far as I'm concerned, they're fond of the band was playing the Rivoli tonight.
Speaker 2: We have the RV deck it out like the Glorreian.
Speaker 5: So it's a full time machine.
Speaker 2: Okay, watch this, hold on to your butts.
Speaker 1: I had fun with this too. There were just too many people, like and not just fans of theirs from years back. I mean they've been, you know, working together. I think you said this like from two thousand and seven, right, So they had their fans, but also people encountering them for the first time loving this movie. So I had to check it out. Yea, and yeah me too, me too obviously, so did enjoy it? I think for me, yeah, you described it perfectly and I just couldn't wrap my mind around how they were doing some of this stuff. But also there's bits like and these are the ones that got me the most, just when they're pushing the wheelbarrow along the sidewalk in Toronto with this giant extension cord in it that's unraveling because they're trying to plug in from the top of the sea and tower to just like a street lamp and just everyone looking at them as they're going by, just real people, right. So it's stuff like that is hilarious. I think I was predisposed to not appreciate this, probably as much as I should, because I came in thinking it was Flight of the Concord style comedy and I am I think it was like the band the music element. I had a misperception and I was looking for that. It's doing something somewhat similar but also very different. And the barer for me in Flight of the Concords is just so high in terms of naive musical act, you know, trying to make it big, and so that's that's not fair, but it is. It's really funny. I had a great time with it. And did you know, I don't think you mentioned this that Matt Johnson is directing. This is fascinating to me. The Anthony bourdais yes, biopic.
Speaker 2: I did see that. I did see that, and.
Speaker 1: That's another thing for me to wrap my head around.
Speaker 2: I know. I know, because I've seen that trailer at least once, and I'm very conflicted, even before I saw that Matt Johnson was directing it. I'm conflicted because there's a part of me that is drawn to biopics, even though I dislike most of them. I'm especially drawn to biopics about figures that I have some reverence for, and I do have reverence for Anthony Bourdain. But then I can't help and I know, I'm just watching a trailer. I can't help but watch a trailer where it has this character making pronouncements and doing and saying things that are clearly the material that we're used to seeing and hearing in biopics, in bad biopics that nobody in real life has ever said, sorry, what is your name? Anthony Boardy. But then you see that Matt Johnson's directing it, and you think, well, maybe maybe that's just the trailer, and I'm going to watch it and he's done something inventive with right, Yeah, and I just need to wait and be surprised.
Speaker 1: I hope you have to think that, you have to think that's that's possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are our top five movies of the year. So far, we only had one overlap Blue Heron. Do you have Josh any honorable mentions?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to run through, yeah, a number of titles because I said I'd be happy with this top ten list. Silent Friend, Rose of Devada, Exit eight, and The Sheep Detectives would round out my list. If you're counting, you'll notice there's a slot there for a title I'm not going to mention right now. I also want to say that I did some Golden Brick homework for this show. And this is a movie that did not make my top five. It's probably a lesser Golden Brick candidate, but I want to give it some attention because for the record to put it on our list, but also because this is all about bringing attention to new film filmmakers and films, and it is one Sam actually suggested we check out. It's is God Is And this comes from writer director Alicia Harris. She's actually adapting her play. It's about twin sisters who are commissioned by their mother to on a revenge plot.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, girls, I'm gonna make this real simple. Nick your daddy dead, real dead. This seem a little crazy.
Speaker 6: Not as crazy as setting your wife full fire, running your kids and abandon them.
Speaker 4: We ain kulous. How are we gonna live with ourselves? And we do this this destiny type she can.
Speaker 1: Harris shows real inventive vision here, which is a quality we look for in Golden Brick candidates, especially using this idea of them being twins, and they're split screen images here that are very effective. The way they'll look at each other in moments and don't say anything, but we see the dialogue on screen above their heads. It is very inventive. All of that I admired. I'm a little and I'm recommending the movie people should check it out. Is God Is. I'm a little conflicted with the glibness of the violence and the intenseness of the root domestic incident that's at the heart of all this. There's like a real seriousness to what is driving all this and a bit of glibness to the style and depiction of the violence. You know, like Tarantino came to mind, who I'm also very conflicted about on some of these questions. So that's just me. I know a lot of people. And one of the other reasons I checked this out made a priority to check this out. Is there are a lot of critics who are higher on it even than me, So I do want to nod to it for a golden brick a slot. And yeah, just note midway through the year, it's one worth catching up with.
Speaker 2: That's is God is okay. I said that The Bone Temple was an honorable mention for me, and it is. But I'm actually going to just keep it off the list because I think it would be number eleven. I've got five others that I would put ahead of it, and three of them you mentioned, Cheap Detectives, Silent Friend, Exit eight, the two you didn't mention are one of them. The movie of the year according to our listeners, and you gave it a very positive review as well. Projectail Mary's a good film.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to put it. Why it's really good. Why you don't have to address I'm not charging you with anything.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. I'm not worried about it. But it's it's interesting, like even when I was just conceiving this is not a reflection on the movie. It's just my experience with it. When you sit down for this list, it's like, Okay, these are on here. These are on here for sure? What's going to sneak in number five? Like it didn't It didn't come up. It like didn't surface, you know, as much as I enjoyed it, all the things I appreciate about it, that's why it's not on myns.
Speaker 2: I guess it. It came to mind right away when I started writing down titles, but that was like a short list of ten. I knew it wasn't going to be in my top five, but I knew it was going to be at least, you know, considered for the overall list. The other film that hasn't come up, but I do really like obviously, and I reviewed with another critic filling in for you, Chris Klemick is the Steven Soderberg the new sodabrig movie. The Christopher. Christopher, really good performance by McKellen. The Christopher's on my list one that almost snuck into my top five. So there you have it, our top five films of the year so far and more. You can find the complete list over at film spotting dot net. Just click on lists and you will see our entire top five archive.
Speaker 3: Crowns Day Hammond, The Phones are Working, Children Live, Call them telling us send the damn.
Speaker 2: Helicopters wanted to take a moment to note the passing of actor Sam Neil, the New Zealand actor. Fair to say Josh forever be known as Doctor Grant in Jurassic Park, at least to many of us, but his career dates back to the late seventies. His first starring role was in Is it Gillian Armstrong or Gillian Armstrong? I should know this. I'm just as well, yeah, air that I'm not sure. I'll look that up off air and get it right next time. But her debut feature nineteen seventy nine is my brilliant career with Judy Davis, but several other notable performances.
Speaker 1: Nineteen eighty one he made the cult horror film Possession with Isabella Johnny and then in the early nineties, I guess you could say this was probably his heyday. Nineteen ninety was Dead Calm that one with Nicole Kidman. Also he was in The Hunt for Red October ninety one, that was VIM Vendors until the End of the World. And then get this in nineteen ninety three to be in Yes, Jurassic Park, great right, I mean obviously set him up for life in many sequels. He was also a key figure in Jane Campion's The Piano nineteen ninety four. He was in John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness. Active for the rest of his life, including you know, titles, smaller titles, but ones that had big followings like Taika Wytt's Hunt for the Wilder People. So yeah, Sam Neil just one of those. Even when he was playing not good guys, still a comforting presence. Somehow on screen he managed to manage to thread that needle. All right, let's move on to Massacre theater. This is where Adam and I attempt to perform a scene and you get a chance to win a film spotting prize. Last week we massacred this scene.
Speaker 6: One dollar buys five rings. If one of the rings lands on one of the red bottles, they win a giant ass pen.
Speaker 3: That is a giant as pen.
Speaker 6: That's the best prize of the park. And that's because this game is on one of them. Observed, I'll drop a ring from three inches.
Speaker 1: Away, so nobody ever wins.
Speaker 6: If someone wins a giant ass pended on your watch, you should just go home because you're fired.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was Martin Steyr and Jesse Eisenberg in two thousand and nine Adventureland, written and directed by Greg Mottola. That massacre was part of an episode that also included a thlirtieth anniversary review of Independence Day. So why that scene from Adventureland.
Speaker 2: Here's Joe Stidham from Gainesville, Florida. This week's mascar theater was from Greg Mattola's Adventureland, one of many good indie comedies from two thousand and nine, somewhat overshadowed by five hundred Days of Summer like Independence Day, Summer and particularly July fourth feature prominently in Adventureland, though Jesse Eisenberg's Brennan insists he only celebrates Best Steel Day, with one of the middlelac romance scenes occurring during the firework show at the park. There's also Matt Bush's Freego, who fights off imaginary viet Cong with a Roman candle, echoing the more substantial Vietnam experience of Randy Quaid's Russell. Independence Day was one of my favorite movies of my childhood. I'm a complete apologist to this day, and Adventureland is one of my favorites of two thousand and nine the year I fell in love with cinema. Thank you, Joe, and yeah, we hit a lot of great notes for Joe.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Here's Fred Bukama in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm not sure what thetion to Independence Day is. I do remember a fireworks scene set to Don't Dream It's Over, but I don't recall if that's set on July fourth.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, we got the song in there. Fred remembered Don't Dream It's Over. Sean Downey says he's from Woodbridge, Virginia. I knew this one right away, having spent multiple seasons working in the games department at an amusement park Cedar Point. Now, Josh, I have mentioned on the show before, but you weren't here on the show when we reviewed Adventureland. I worked games at Adventureland in Iowa. So talk about another movie I had a personal connection to. He says, Adventureland has always resonated with me. While my experience was in the late nineteen nineties, years later than the film's nineteen eighty seven setting, so was mine, Shohn. It captures so much of what it's like to work at an amusement park during the summer. The quirky coworkers, the repetitive jobs, the friendships. Okay, mine was a little earlier in the nineties. But as for a connection, the closest one I could come up with is Adventureland and Wet Hot American Summer. Both are coming of age stories set during a summer in the nineteen eighties. Each film uses a temporary summer workplace as the backdrop. Underneath, they're both about how one memorable summer can shape who you become. Now we, or I should say, producer Sam was not thinking about film spotting Fest and Wet Hot American Summer. He was just thinking about that fireworks scene and the July fourth backdrop. But it's a great connection.
Speaker 1: Great connection. So was this before your job at the theater where you told everyone to put their feet down?
Speaker 2: It was after, but that summer it was one of my summers back from college. And look, I wasn't making that much money. I worked both jobs. I work at Adventureland during the day and at night. At night I'd come back and work at the theater.
Speaker 1: Double shit.
Speaker 2: I worked hard for my money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe you did. Wow things we learn all right? One more comment here. This comes from Lisa and Chris of Ay or Massachusetts, which must be I don't know where I was, must be close to the Ikea outside of Boston because and Chris Well, helping my daughter move out there into a new apartment, had to pick up some front some stuff from Ikea, as any good American does. And who was there? Who's there at the escalators Lisa and Chris. I think they might still be there because I barely got out alive. Their comment here is really enjoyed this film when it came out, and I do recommend it. Adam's performance as Martin Starr is note perfect. Wow, note perfect. He perfectly captures the monotone dead in the eyes delivery, while Josh was fairly competent Jesse Eisenberg.
Speaker 2: Wow, barely competence a lot. Yeah, take that to Chris, fairly confident. Okay, that was I want to say, for the record, and this is true, true everybody. I didn't just cherry pick the one email that praised me. It was the only one we got that mentioned performances, and I thought it was funny. But I also love I love that I was note perfect. I'll take it. Lisa and Chris, I thank you.
Speaker 1: I think everyone believes you picked it randomly. It's been a long time. Once we've heard praise.
Speaker 2: For your exactly. Okay, Josh, reach into the film Spotting hat and pick out this week's winner.
Speaker 1: Our winner is Dan Ericsson from Shoreline, Washington.
Speaker 2: Congratulations Dan, email feedback at film spotting dot net to claim your very own film Spotting t shirt, film Spotting tote bag, film Spotting Trial membership to the family, or your very own giant ass panda.
Speaker 3: With symbol.
Speaker 1: Would would simple? Would the was the same?
Speaker 4: Why do you say that? Why do you say?
Speaker 6: Will?
Speaker 2: You said?
Speaker 6: Say it like I said.
Speaker 2: We move on now to this week's edition of Massacre Theater one that either will involve genuinely a lot of acting or we need to pull Dustin Hoffman's and get ourselves fully into character and do some calisthenics a lot of jumping jacks or something before this performance.
Speaker 1: So so I hyperdentilate. We're in a high rise. Now, we're in a high rise.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ran down twenty eight floors. Good, got my packages? Okay, John ran off.
Speaker 2: I started off. You give me the askom action faked all the data. Yes, there's no service.
Speaker 5: No. I tried to do my duty but I knew the day that I arrived here, then this place had nothing.
Speaker 4: And I resisted.
Speaker 1: That's temptation for years. But I knew if I just presaid, but somebody would come and save me.
Speaker 5: U fing flowered, yes, sir, yes, yes, yes, And scene scene.
Speaker 1: And we faked you out. I didn't run downstairs, that was all.
Speaker 2: No, that's called acting. Acting. If you know what film we just massacred, email the movies title, your name and location to feedback of filmspotting dot net deadline Monday, July twenty seventh. We'll select the winner randomly from all the correct entries and announce it in a couple of weeks. Josh, that's our show.
Speaker 1: You can find Adam and the show on Instagram, Facebook, letterbox, YouTube, blue Sky, at film Spotting. You'll find me at Larson on film. We are independently produced and listeners supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. You can listen early in ad free. You'll get monthly bonus episodes, a weekly newsletter, and access to the entire show archive. For show t shirts and other merch go to film spotting dot net slash.
Speaker 2: Shop out wide this weekend a little movie you may have heard of called The Odyssey. Next week here on Film Spotting Packed Feed episode two of the movie Racket with Michael Phillips, following up a triumphant debut episode with Michael Shannon. Guest will be Amy Nicholson. Always fun to hear her. Tuesday Film Spotting SVU talking about Groundhog Day effect movies. Then Thursday, the next Picture Show great pairing The Odyssey and the Cone Brothers, Oh Brother where Art thou and Friday will be our review of Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey. Josh has seen it. He said he wasn't going to betray his reaction, but he couldn't help himself. You heard it. You heard it there at the end of the time five.
Speaker 1: Just let this.
Speaker 2: I know he's positive, but that's not a shock. We'll see how I feel about the latest from Nolan that is coming to your Film Spotting Feed next Friday. Here on the show.
Speaker 1: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe to So and Sam van Hoggren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempinar. Special thanks to everyone at Wbeazy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org for film spotting, I'm Josh.
Speaker 2: Larson and I'm Adam Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore, but fine,