Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to drop alike on this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack. It was all Arizona Diamondbacks tonight in their game against the San Francisco Giants. They win by a final score of eight to two. Brandon Fott was excellent in five and a third innings. Catel Marte Homard for his fourth consecutive game. There's nothing like a series against the Giants to get this team back on track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean now they've won eight in a row to start the season against the Giants. That's a franchise record to start the season. Who actually was set last night at seven, So they've extended that to eight against any opponent to start the season. So yeah, it would be great if we could play them all the time.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks are now thirteen and two. I believe we're up to against the Giants and Rockies combined. That leaves them thirty and forty against all other teams. But hey, It now adds up to an above five hundred record, as the Diamondbacks are now forty three and forty two after this eight to win over the Giants, Jack, I guess we'll start on the pitching side of things. Brandon Fought deserves a lot of credit for setting the tone for the Diamondbacks early on in this one. He was extremely efficient, of course, working on a limited pitch count in this game. Tory Lavello said before the game that he thought Fought could get to around five innings something like that. Five innings seemed optimistic from what we heard pregame, and Fought was able to go even beyond that and pitch into the sixth in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a few questions about it.
Speaker 3: In the first inning, I mean, he gave up the base hit to a rise and then the three outs that he got were all on pitches in the middle of the zone, A couple of fastballs and a sweeper that were all like pretty much right in the center heart of the zone. But he got two pop ups in a flyout, so they must have had some late movement that.
Speaker 2: You know, we're fooling the Giants' hitters.
Speaker 3: And then from there you know, he only gave up two more hits and both of them were to arise, so you know, it was really efficient.
Speaker 2: He was throwing strikes, he was attacking the zone. Great outing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, obviously a soft landing against the Giants, but you can't take.
Speaker 2: Anything away from Brandon Fought.
Speaker 3: You know, he went out there and did exactly what he had to do and even gave them more length and was expected. So a very successful return to the rotation for him, hopefully something he can build off of a little unfortunate that, you know, he gave up that home run to arise and had a walk off the mound.
Speaker 2: Bait with that.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody was really very happy about that particular development. But as I said, you know, elsewhere, I don't know what they're dealing with in the bullpen and who's down and which guys have sore arms, and so if he's trying to squeeze a couple more outs out of him so that he can you know, bridge the gap in the bullpen, then that's what he was trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seems like if this game had been closer at that point, Tory probably doesn't let Fott face Luisa Rise for a third time. Arise was two for two against Fought already in the game and entered the game ten for twenty one. I believe it was in his career against Brandon Fought. Luisa Rise is just utterly dominated Brandon Fought throughout his career and today was certainly no different. But yes, despite the sour note that this game ended on for Brandon Fought, it was an outstanding out and you can see the final line here five and a third, three hits, one run, one walk, two strikeouts. Again just sixty six pitches forty two of those strikes. He was super efficient in this game. Of course, unsurprising Jack that the Giants stacked their lineup with left handed hitters six of the nine guys in their starting lineup, where lefties teams always do this against Brandon Fought given the pretty significant platoon splits there, and the question for Fought often is what is he going to do against left handed hitters? What's going to be the plan of attack? And in this game, I thought he had two pitches working pretty well against lefties. Both the change up and the cutter stood out to me in this one. Here, I have a graphic of every change up that Brandon Fought threw in this game, you can see, much like Eduardo Rodriguez in yesterday's game, the command of the changeup was really excellent. You can see a lot of these pitches down below the zone or on the lower outside corner to a left handed hitter. That's pretty much exactly where you want that pitch. And then you can see here with the cutter, that's a pitch that you're you're generally trying to throw high and inside to left handed hitters, and you can see that here. Brandon fought consistently on the the up and in a sort of portion of the zone against the lefties with that cutter. So, uh, you know, it's just one game, but you could you could see the plan of attack for for fought in this one against lefties, and it worked really well for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what we were calling for before the game, is you know, to see what he was going to do facing left handed hitters. We knew he'd see a lot of them. I think you had six in the lineup tonight. So great work there, Jesse pulling those up. Couldn't have illustrated any better exactly what he did to neutralize lefties tonight, with the exception of one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Louis their eyes just sort of in a in a different category. He is sort of stands alone out of this Giant's offense. I mean, his batting average is now up to three thirty one an eight thirty six ops. I don't know, Jack, is this the time where we talk about Luisa Rise as a trade candidate for the Diamondbacks? You want to just sneak that in here.
Speaker 3: Well, we were kind of chatting, you know, like we're not the only ones to think of this.
Speaker 2: But you know, if you think.
Speaker 3: About where the Dbacks have a weakness, you know, their their first baseman.
Speaker 2: Or not getting the job done.
Speaker 3: They're basically last or second last, I think the last in the league and first base ops and you know, batting.
Speaker 2: Runs and however you want to measure it.
Speaker 3: And while a Rise may not be the slugger that everybody would like to have at first base, I'd rather have a slug light you know, three hundred batting average than a slug light one fifty batting average. So there's that to consider. He's on a one year deal, twelve million dollars, so.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't be all that expensive.
Speaker 3: You pick him up with you know, two plus in the season, you're only you're only paying about you know, four million, maybe five tops, if they did something quick quickly, and the fact that it's you know, two and a half month rental means the prospect costs might not be super high. Of course, you wouldn't want to trade with a division rival for anything that would anybody that would cost you big time on prospects, So it depends on what the Giants are looking for. I think there's some teams out there though, that would be pretty interested in bringing in a rise at the deadline this year. With the season he's having, he's healthy, his legs are good, he's been playing really good defense at second base. He's even stealing bases this year, so he's got his legs under him and it's showing. So his market's going to be fairly brisk, I would believe.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at his Baseball Reference page right now. He's at two point four Baseball Reference war entering today, and the guy's on pace for a five war season, which which could be his best season ever. I mean, he's never had a five war season by Baseball Reference numbers, So I think you're right. The market there is going to be robust, to say the very least on the offense side of things. The Diamondbacks were able to get going early in this game. Lordis Guriel Junior. He did the thing jack With two on and two out in the bottom of the first inning, Lordis got a two to oh fastball middle in and drove it out into left field, and it actually looked like it was going to be a one to one count. You can see the pitches here. Lordis took a curveball off the outer edge for ball one. The second pitch was a curveball low that was originally called a strike. And then Lordis pretty aggressive in that moment, challenged that call and flipped a one to one count into a two oh count. And you know, I don't know if that necessarily made the difference in the bat but when you're up two to oh, it allows you to be a different level of aggressive. And Lordis came out with one of his best swings of the season on the very next pitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a moonshot. That was thirty seven degree launch angle. I mean it was you know, he banged it, but it was it barely got out. It's just like two three rows deep I think at the most, but went travel three what eighty nine on thirty seven degree launch angle, So you know that was another way to describe a moonshot, right, he got it up there, But he's been hot, right, I mean, you know I tweeted out right after the homer. He was then at that point seven for twenty one with three doubles in a homer. He later came back and doubled one more time in the game. So you know, Lord of scuriel hot streak seems to be upon us and we've been waiting for it for a long time. And you know, more please because they really need it. But if you know you're five through nine in the order, if Lord of Scuriel is starting to bang the ball, then then you you got a much better chance to lengthen your lineup and start putting someone's on the board again.
Speaker 1: Does this mean your your trade idea with the Seattle Mariners is now off? Jerry Depoto lost his window and lordis is now staying in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Back off, Jerry, back off man.
Speaker 1: I don't know that the Mariners do have six starting pitchers currently, so who knows, maybe there's still something there, but yeah, lordis getting hot has I mean, that's something the Dbacks have needed for for a long time. And he has a long ways to go from From a numbers standpoint, his OPS for the season is still just right around six hundred, even after having a home run in that first inning and a double later in the game. But yeah, it was a really nice swing and something that we need to see more of from Lordis who was his second home run of the season, his first home run since May seventeenth, So really not much in the way of penia power this season from Lords Guriel Junior. The Diamondbacks got several more runs up on the board a couple innings later. In the bottom of the third, with the bases loaded and two outs, or Hey, Barosa had a pretty nice at bat against Landen Group, drew a walk that forced in a run, extended the Diamondbacks lead to four nothing, and then could tell Marte Jack followed that up with a two run single and I don't want to say that put the game out of reach in the third, but it gave the Diamondbacks a really comfortable lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they would then go on to you know, add to it.
Speaker 3: But at that point you really felt like, Okay, they've got control of this game. And look, Lendon Roup walked six batters and he just you know, could not find the plate, and so you knew that they were going to score more runs.
Speaker 2: And then the Giants bullpen.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're asking them to go out there and get you, you know, five plus six innings, whatever, you know you're gonna score some more runs against them. And they did, and they did it with some power, which was fun to see they did.
Speaker 1: There was some power. A few innings later, could tell Marte bases empty hits a solo home run. It was an absolute no doubter. I believe came on an two pitch, which is not something you see real often, but it was a middle, middle slider and count tell Marte did it once again. He homered for his fourth consecutive game. He is the sixth member of the Diamondbacks and franchise history to homer in four consecutive games. And it was no cheap shot jack four hundred and thirty one feet an absolute no doubter for Kutel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just looked at that and gave a quick little bat flip he knew it was gone. Pretty impressive stuff. I mean, you know, when he gets hot, we know what he can do. But homering him four straight games something he's never done before. Kind of an interesting list of players that have done it for the d Backs. Little walk down memory lane here. The most recent before Catel was a Duardo Escobar and he did that in twenty twenty one in April. Mark Trumbo did it in twenty fourteen. Mark Reynolds did it in two thousand and nine. Troy Gloss did it twice. He did it in two thousand and five in April and again in September. He hit thirty eight homers that year, his loan season with the Diamondbacks. And Reggie Sanders did it in April of twenty two thousand and one. So that's the list of players that have done it. So it's been done seven times, but by six players being Gloss did it twice.
Speaker 1: And of course this was not the only history that kateel Marte made in this game. Ktel also passed Paul Goldschmidt and is now second place on the Diamondbacks all time hitless trailing on Luis Gonzales could tell now at one thousand, one hundred and eighty four hits I believe is where he ended the day. Luis Gonzalez at one thousand, three hundred and thirty seven and Jack. That puts Kittell within shouting distance. I mean, I think there's a pretty realistic chance that a year from now, sometime in twenty twenty seven, could tell Marte will be the Diamondbacks all time hit leader.
Speaker 3: That sounds about right. I mean, he's not going anywhere. He's not going to be traded. Co tell Marte is going to be here for a long, much longer time. And you know, at this point you have to look at it and say, hey, you know, where is he on all the franchise lists? Well, here he's here. He comes on the hit list. He's only five behind Paul Goldschmith and franchise war for position players. Yeah, I think, you know, so five war behind Goldie. That's something that's very much within range. I mean, he could also pass Goldie that by the end of twenty twenty seven. You know, now, that may not make him the best franchise position player of all time. Goldie's peak is probably a bit higher and a little bit more consistent, but you know, Katella has a long way to go here before his Diamondbacks career is over, and he's going to be all over the top one, two, and three.
Speaker 2: Of the franchise leaderboard before it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, now that Katel has the no trade in place, I mean he's he's going to be a member of the Diamondbacks for much longer. And this is already his tenth season in the organization. He's he's going to start to take over on a lot of these all time lists. Should be fun to watch in the coming years, for sure. But we have a whole lot more to get to. On this edition of Snake's Territory, We're going to talk a little more about our observations from this game. We'll revisit last night's game, what Eduardo Rodriguez did in that one, will talk Standing's, will talk Bullpen. We've got some other things to get to as well, so don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's Territory right after this.
Speaker 4: People dehydration sucks. Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 5: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 4: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about, not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash vall for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ceim slash foul for free shipping in three sixty five day returns quinns dot com slash file. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, street cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Shout out to all of you joining us in the chat. We really appreciate all of you being here with us once again, really helps us out. If you would drop alike on this video. Also, while you're at it, subscribe to our channel hit the bell icon for notifications. Those are all great ways to support the show. We very much appreciate all of you for doing them. We did want to highlight one comment from our chat. Of course, you all have many insightful points to make, and this is a good one from at dB outsider who said, fought at noticeable delivery changes or Fought's noticeable delivery changes look to have paid off. Back to pitching on the first base side of the rubber and no longer puts his hands over his head on the wind up, much more compact delivery. Good observations here, Jack, And you know, maybe this is the key to Brandon Fought unlocking the command that we've seen from him at times in the past.
Speaker 3: Well it's kind of interesting, you know, because Brent Strom had moved him over to the third base side of the rubber famously back in twenty twenty three, So it's going to be interesting to see if this sticks and how this interplays with his new attack approach against left hand hitters. I think that's the key there, But also very very good observation about the hands overhead.
Speaker 2: I thought that was, you know, a really smart point.
Speaker 3: I even during the break, I went back and real quick and looked at a couple of pitches that he threw, and it looks a lot cleaner.
Speaker 2: So great observation.
Speaker 1: There wasn't a ton of swing and miss for Fought in this game just to strikeouts, but there also really wasn't much compelling contact from the Giants at all. Giants had a one fifty nine expected batting average when Fought exited the game, so it genuinely was just a lot of soft contact against him throughout this outing and when it came to his command, which of course is very important for Brandon Fought, there are some numbers that show how good he was in that regard. Fought had a fifty one percent in zone rate in this game, so fifty one percent of his pitches were in the strike zone. League average is forty eight point seven percent, and that was really an issue for Fought earlier in this season. His zone rate at the major league level entering today was forty five point six percent, which is which is much lower than where that number has been for Fought in the past few years. So good to see him pounding the zone. I also noticed Jackie was fifteen for nineteen in first pitch strikes and so you know, maybe he did throw an occasional fastball or sinker or whatever that caught more of the plate than you would have liked. But when you have count leverage consistently, you're gonna be able to turn more of those into weak pop ups and ground balls and that sort of thing. And that was the case for Fought tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, as I said at the top of the show, I mean it was a nice soft landing facing the Giants. We all know that they're not a good team, and so you know, we're not going to run with this and say, hey that Brandon Fodd saw, you know, back to being at his peak self yet. But you got to you can only pitch against the lineups that you face. And you know, he did his job tonight. He did it really well, certainly something to build confidence off of. You know, his next start I believe would probably come either Sunday against the Brewers or Monday against the Padres in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Not really sure how.
Speaker 3: That lines out, but you know, either way, you know he's going to be challenged. If more so if it's the Brewers, a little less so if it's the Padres, they don't hit very well. But this is what he's got to face. And then after that he's going to have to face the Dodgers. So you know, we'll know within the next couple of starts as Brandon fought, truly improved or was this just taking advantage of a soft lineup, But you know, for tonight we're gonna celebrate it.
Speaker 2: It was a really good outing.
Speaker 1: Other things that stood out from tonight's game, it was good to see Max Kepler get off the schneid jack. He notched his first two bass hits as a member of the Diamondbacks, including a double in the bottom of that first inning. Kepler also made a really nice catch in the left field corner to end a wasn't a huge threat, but the Giants had a runner at first with two outs in the first inning and Raphael Devers at the plate who's made a lot of hard contact in this series, and Kepler made a really nice play running into the fence down the left field line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for him to get off the schneid for sure. You know, he'd hit a few balls hard before this, even though he hadn't gotten any results from it. So you know, if he's hitting and Lordis is hitting, that's going to help a lot. So I'm really interested to see where this goes over the next you know, week to ten days. You know, as we spoke about before, I mean by the time they get to the you know, the decision point of the trade deadline, how Max Kepler is performing is going to go a long ways to how much they feel they have to fill in at that point. Just another quick note from me. So everyone got on base in this one at least once, and seven players got on twice. Corbyn Carroll was one of the players that only got on once, and he had a rough night, a couple of strikeouts, couple of four to three groundouts before taking a walk in that eighth inning. And on that second strikeout there was a one to one pitch he swung out and very noticeably winced, and then in his next to bat when he grounded out to first base. He seemed to have either some kind of lower body issue or maybe his ankle Bob Brinley thought on the broadcast, and he only jogged slowly down the first space. So something's bothering Corbin. When I see him take a big swing and miss like that, and I see him wins like he did, you know, you're always thinking about that shoulder Prior to that. I saw a big one handed follow through and that often precipitates some shoulder soreness for him, and that's just something he's going to battle throughout his career. He's tough as nails, he's fighting through it as best he can. But he is slumping right now. He's down the two seventy two. His ops is down to eight eighty one, you know, so he's having a rough time.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 3: I had been looking at like his whiff rates by month, and he started off in April it was thirty three percent and then it was only twenty three percent in May, and now it's back up almost to thirty percent again. I mean, and we can see that with our eyes. He's swinging and missing a lot. They're attacking at the top of the zone, so we'll see what happens. I mean with Corbyn, every time he seems to go into a slump, he turns right back around and gets hot again. So we'll look for that and hope that this isn't a prolonged slump for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a rough game for Corbyn, no doubt there. That at bat in the bottom of the second was particularly rough. I mean you had two on and two out and Landon Rupe just not able to find the zone to save his life. And Corbyn saw six pitches and that a bat. All of them were out of the zone and he swung at four of them and there were three whiffs, ultimately struck out for his second straight at bat. There so some rough moments for Corbyn Carroll, but he's still been the Diamondbacks best player this season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he, you know, turns things around pretty quickly. Another hitter, if we're if we're nitpicking here, Jack and I know his name has been mentioned in the chat many times already. Peven Smith did not have a hit in this game. He went zero for three with a walk. He did battle in some during the game. The walk was not a particularly difficult walk. I think it was four pitches. Land and Roupe just really really struggle to find the zone in the in the early part of this game. But yeah, I mean, Peven Smith is sitting one forty five, and it felt like this was an important game for him. I mean, every time the Dbacks run him out there against a right handed pitcher, you know, he's he's has to prove something here, he has to show that he belongs on this roster, and tonight he was not able to really change the course of his season at all.
Speaker 3: I believe the writings on the wall there, you know, And we'll just have to see how long it takes. But I don't think it's going to take too much longer if he doesn't turn it around.
Speaker 1: Peven now hitting one forty five this season with a four to seventy ops not not the kind of numbers that you're looking for there. On the off offensive side, we should shout out Gabrielle Moreno because he reached base four times in this game and we haven't mentioned him. And in some ways, Jack, that's just because it feels like Gaby sort of does that every game, not four times. Doesn't reach base four times every game, but man, he has been a force in the middle of this lineup, and we know he's battling the hamstring issue. He continues to not run the bases very quickly, but the offense has been outstanding.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, he scored twice, drove in a run, you know, two hits, two walks. I mean, I think I'll take that. Gabriel Moreno is a very good offensive player. We know that, you know. And the main thing has always been Canny stay on the field and give them enough played appearances. I mean, not many catchers actually get over four hundred played appearances in a season. It's not just a handful actually that do that. But the Dvacs need that from him. They need him somehow, some way get up over four hundred play appearances. Are really close to it because they need his bat in the lineup. I mean, you know, that's just that's just who he is. He's only got, you know, two more years after this one of team control. Doesn't seem like he's going to be extended. If it was going to happen, it would have already happened. So they've got two more years of Gabriel Marino before he's a free agent. Maybe there's a less minute extension, but you know, by the time you get down to those two plus more years, catchers kind of pass their peak earlier, so I don't know if he's a good extension candidate at that point. So they need to get the offense out of.
Speaker 2: Him right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, they take advantage of this right now. So he's having that kind of season he's when he's in there, when he's in the lineup, you know, he's hitting and getting on base and been very productive. So great to see from Gabby. I think we'll see.
Speaker 1: More quick, underrated moments from Gabby that I want to mention. To start off the bottom of the third in Gabby struck out and then he didn't he a three to two pitch was called strike three, and then moreno challenged and it flipped a strikeout into a walk. It's exactly the kind of ABS challenge usage that you want to see. And uh and theoretically, Jack, if if Gabby doesn't challenge there and turn that strikeout into a walk, the Diamondbacks don't score at all in in that fourth inning, and instead they were excuse me, that was the third inning and instead of that, the Diamondbacks are are able to score three runs there. So Gabby is doing it offensively. He's he's of course doing his thing behind the plate, save Nolan Arnado in foul territory at one point in this game as well, So really good stuff from Gabby across the board in this one. Switching gears to last night's game. Last night's game, Jack was a little bit less of a thorough domin into performance from the Diamondbacks. Things got quite interesting with Paul Sewald on the mound in the ninth inning. Diamondbacks just find a way to scrape by with a five to four win in that one. But of course the big story in that game, Jack was at Wardo Rodriguez, who went out there and through seven innings or more for the sixth time this season, seven innings of one run ball. He had one strikeout, but it didn't really seem to matter. Eduardo just continues to do this time after time after time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's at this point.
Speaker 3: I mean, we are all talking about It's actually a conversation that I initiated last night in the interview room with Toy and we asked Prodomo again, and then I asked you rod himself. Hey, you know this just looks like an all Star season. I mean, of course, story Seid, He's got my vote, and you know, Prodomo saying as praise is, and Erod himself said, look, I'm not thinking about that. You know, I've got more starts here to make. You know, if that happens, great, ask me then how it feels. But he wasn't really willing to engage in that conversation. But he's fourth in the National League in ERA. And while we talk a lot about the expected stats and the under the hood stuff, you know, at the end of the day, he's seven to two with a two two one ERA, and he's repeatedly going seven innings. I think he's done it what six times now. However many the team's thirteen and four in his starts, he's been the ace of the staff. So you know, he's he's earned an All Star spot. I mean he's got a couple more starts, you know, two three more starts in there before the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed. He doesn't have a blow up.
Speaker 3: Start and you know, cost him a shot in the game. But I do want to say that when we look at the under the hood stuff, what what we can really see is his execution pitches in with runners in scoring position especially, and the ability to get outs and limit damage. It's not fluky like, it's not lucky. He's not doing that just by you know, balls going right at people and getting that of things easily.
Speaker 2: I mean that happens sometimes. I mean all of.
Speaker 3: The expected stuff, the XBA and the x slug, the whiff rates, the hard hit rates, all of that, you know, analytics stuff that we look at shows that he's really been phenomenal with runners in scoring position. And that's why is left on base percentage is so high. That's why despite a very mediocre strikeout and walk rate, he's getting it done when he needs to. And we talked about this, you know previously. I mean he's found an ability to you know, hump it up an extra mile or two and really bear down and execute on pitches, make that change up, drop off the table, snap off his curveball, you know, land his fastball at the top of the zone. He's doing all those things. He's in the zone. He's absolutely in the zone, and fingers crossed, he can stay there.
Speaker 1: His location plus, which is an advanced stat that measures a pitcher's command, one hundred being average his location plus and yesterday's game was one twenty, which is basically as high as we ever see from anyone. So yeah, even though Eduardo is not generating a ton of swing and miss, there absolutely is something to his command being far and a way better in twenty twenty six than it was a season ago. To put some numbers on what you were just talking about with runners in scoring position, this is a screenshot that you sent me earlier today when we were discussing this. With runners in scoring position, opposing hitters have a one to eighty six expected batting average and a two to sixty expected slugging percentage against e Rod. So even though yes, there absolutely is a wide gap between the actual numbers and the expected numbers. And you know, does e Rod project to have a low too era the rest of the season. Certainly not, then the numbers would not suggest that. But as you said, he's not getting lucky necessarily in those big moments. He is absolutely executing at an elite level in the biggest moments of the game, and he's being rewarded for that. And in terms of his All Star case, Jack, you know, I kind of feared a couple of weeks ago, like, Okay, his ra is good, but also the peripherals are not going to be anywhere close to guys like Paul Schemes and you know, Chase Burns and Christopher Sanchez. We know how stacked the National League is this season when it comes to pitching. But I think there's room for e Rod on the roster given that he is fourth in the NL in era. I believe he's also top four in innings pitched. He's average six innings per start, which is something that not many starting pitchers are doing in this day and age. And so yeah, I mean, is he going to be the first man out of the bullpen in the All Star Game?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of really good pitchers that are gonna make that All Star team. But does e Rod fit somewhere in the top ten to twelve starters in the National League. Absolutely? And based on how many starters have appeared in the All Star Game in recent years, how many guys have been put on that roster, I think there's a pretty good chance that e Rod finds his way there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it just depends on like who lines up to not be available to pitch in the All Star Game, right, I mean, you got Look, you got Mizerowski, you got Sale, you got Christopher Sanchez. Chase Burns is nine to one with a two three six ERA. Max Meyer from Miami is nine and oh with a two six Oh yeah, Momoto's got a two six seven ERA.
Speaker 2: He's eight and five. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Justin Robleski from the Dodgers is nine and two with a two seven one. Foster Griffin, so the Nationals is doing really well. Logan Webb is super hot. And oh, by the way, there's Paul Skins. He's six and seven with a three to one o EER. But it's kind of hard to imagine him being left off the All Star team. And so you have the double dynamic of there are certain teams that maybe you know that's their starting pitcher or whatever may be their lone representative. But then you also have a couple of maybe one, two or three guys that aren't going to be able to go because they pitched too close to the to the All Star Game in their final start before the blake before the break. So we'll just have to see how that shakes out. A lot of times, all of that really feeds into who makes the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that is that is also a great point. Twelve pitchers yet picked per league and if you just kind of list out the guys who are deserving in the National League, Yes, Yamamoto is going to be their skins is going to be there, Max Meyers, you said, Kyle Harrison, I think has a pretty good case, even though I don't think he's a qualified starter right now. Zach Wheeler maybe has a shot there as well. But yeah, you're when you're throwing as many innings as erod is and you're preventing runs like he is, and your team's thirteen and four when you're on the mound, that's the makings of a really strong case. So I think I think Eduardo is a in a pretty pretty good spot there. With regard to the way that that game went yesterday, I guess we should we should maybe mention that things have gotten a little bit less than stellar for Paul Seawald here lately. On one hand, he is nineteen for twenty and save opportunities he bent but did not break. But on the other hand, his season era is now four point five zero, not really what you're looking for from your closer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. The funny thing is, though, like peripherals, depends on which one you want to look at. Right his xcras three two four, but his FIP and x FIP are both around four point four, So you know, I mean, this is who he is. He's going to have blow aboutings. Look, he's gonna blow some save folks. I mean, you know that's going to happen. We know that Paul Seawall was not going to go thirty nine for forty and save chances, and so they're going to come. The question is is when will they come? And can he space them out enough so that he doesn't lose confidence in himself and the team doesn't lose confidence in him.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you.
Speaker 3: Go through a stretch where you know, you blow three in a row like he did in twenty twenty four and struggle in a non saved situation or two on top of that, then all of a sudden, you know, everybody loses confidence. But you know, maybe he converts the next six in a row and you know he's still going strong, but we know a blown sab or two are coming. You know, hopefully he can just space them out so that there isn't a crisis of confidence.
Speaker 1: Do we know that a bone save is coming? Are we sure that Paul Seawalald isn't just gonna keep doing this or he has an era the mid fours, and yet every save opportunity just manages to squeak by.
Speaker 2: Look, there's some pretty good teams out there, yeah waiting, you know, I mean, you know, to.
Speaker 3: Be fair, Look and they mentioned it, you know, like he hadn't pitched very much. You know, his his outings have been far and few between. Over the last few weeks, he just really has. You know, he had a state where he pitched like three out of four or four out of five games or something like crazy like that, and then for the next ten to eleven days he hardly pitched maybe twice, so you know, maybe he was a little rusty.
Speaker 2: He did look like he didn't have his command.
Speaker 3: But the bottom line is is when teams see Paul a little too frequently, they start to get to him because it's all about deception, and once you see him a little too much, then that's less to.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's definitely a deception sort of pitcher and that can be a little bit hit or miss on the whole nineteen for twenty and save opportunities, I think you'll still take that. Diamondbacks bullpen at large Jack has regressed a little bit here. The month of June is now complete for this baseball team, and the bullpen stats in June were not newly as good as the two months prior. Of course, we saw this in yesterday's game. It wasn't just Seawalld giving up the two runs in the ninth Kevin Ginkle also gave up a run in the eighth inning. Brandon Garcia came in and sort of saved the day there, striking out Raphael Devers on three pitches. That's been a trend with Brandon Garcia saving the day for the Diamondbacks here recently. But yeah, you look at the bullpen numbers here over over the last month compared to March and April and the month of May, and you're looking at a five to two oh e R in June for that group entering this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did an update today.
Speaker 3: Of course, the bullpen only gave up the one run in the last three and two thirds, so probably dip down closer to the lower fives there.
Speaker 2: But it's just interesting. One of the things I said, I posted this out.
Speaker 3: On Twitter in the morning, and one of the things I said was, Okay, you know we're past the point where we can keep saying, oh, well, if you take out James.
Speaker 2: McCann and if you take out you know, Joe Ross.
Speaker 3: I mean, every team has a couple of two, three four relievers that gave up a lot of runs that are no longer on their active roster. So you know, if you're going to do that with the Diamondbacks, you got to do it. Go through every team and guess what everybody's era goes down if you do that. Now, in a very short sample, when we were just looking at the first month of the season, that was a little bit more of a story. But you know, we're we're past a halfway mark now and you know, to me, it's just really stands out.
Speaker 2: I mean, two point one eight bullpen e r A in May and over five in both April and June.
Speaker 3: So we'll see where it goes from here. They've been heavily taxed, as we've talked about, and the second line of defense isn't very strong, as we've talked about. So Mike hasn did say if he's a buyer, he's going after bullpen help. And when I look at a chart like this, you know, in addition to the era we show.
Speaker 2: FIP and wOBA against.
Speaker 3: You know, those numbers all tend to back up the less than stellar results in April and June, So don't be surprised if Mike hasn does go after a reliever or two to bolster this bullpen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is safe to say. If the Diamondbacks are in position to buy in the next few weeks, that's that's going to be something they target.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: We have more to get to on this episode. We'll maybe talk a little bit more bullpen. We're also going to look ahead at what's coming up for the Diamondbacks, see where they are in the wild card standings, So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans, the MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on fan Duel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. One more quick note on the bullpen that I want to make Jack. I'm looking at one of my favorite bullpen stats, which is win probability added. What ultimately matters when it comes to your bullpen isn't really how many runs you gave up. It's like, did you win the game? Like that's ultimately the point of a bullpen is just finding ways to seal the deal when you give them a lead. And the Diamondbacks and win probability added their bullpen is seventh in all of baseball entering today. And that kind of tracks like, even though the bullpen er is middle of the road, there have been a d number of games like last night where yes, Kevin Ginkle gave up a run, it wasn't great. Paul Seawalald gave up too, it wasn't great, but the Diamondbacks still won the game. And that's a situation where your bullpenny ra is going to go up for sure, but your win probability added actually improves because you did not have a one hundred chance of winning the game quite when Kevin Ginkle entered the game and he had the Diamondbacks ultimately came away with a win, and and and yeah, I mean that's that's the most important thing at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with that in principle. I just think that you know, at a certain point, it catches up to you if you're not careful, right, Yeah, So let me just double check something. D WPA FO that's the wrong game, so it doesn't help. Never mind, you can look it up by game and by reliever.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, I mean I think Paul Sewald gets credited with positive WPA because the Diamondbacks won the game, and he was he was the one to finish the job, even though it certainly was not pretty. We have a question in the chat. This is from CC seven Dash Dbacks. This one is for you, Jack, Jack Corbyn. Carroll has struggled since moving down to the number three spot this season. What are your thoughts on his current placement in the batting order? What do you what do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean leading off, you know, the first few pitches you're going to see, you're probably going to see more fastballs, So you know that should help anybody who's leading off the game, they're gonna they should see more fastballs. So maybe that's a factor. But you know, up until very recently, Kutel, I mean first batter or a game, was struggling and then of course I asked Tory about that, and then last night he hit a home run in his first at bat, So you know, I think it's more coincidence than anything else. I think players just get hot, they go cold, and it sometimes it just coincides where they were moved to. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it changed anything in Corbyn's approach because of where he was moved in the lineup, like, it's hard to get inside his head. I know if I asked him, hey, does moving third in the order change your approach and the way you're looking at things, I know he's going to say, no, it doesn't affect me at all. You know, he's still trying to go up there and do the same things at the plate. So I don't really think so. But you can't completely rule it out either, I guess.
Speaker 1: Before we get to a look ahead at what's coming up to the Diamondbacks where they sit in the standings, all of those good things, we did get a couple of injury updates today that were pretty big, the main one being about Michael Soroka. We talked about him in our last show and how it looked like the news there was good he might be able to get back, like right after the All Star break, and today we got an even more positive report on Michael Soroka. This comes from Jose Romero, our pal covers the team over at the Arizona Republic. Jose wrote about how Michael Soroka through a bullpen session on Tuesday. His next bullpen is scheduled for Friday, and the Diamondbacks are not ruling out that Soroka could return before the All Star break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Tori spoke to us yesterday, he was noncommittal about whether his bullpen session schedule would start this week or next week. He was very like, well, I'm not really sure if it's going to start this weekend. It's took kind of a big difference. Yeah, then today, right, So when I wrote my article, I erred on the side of conservatism, and I thought, well, okay, if he's not going to start his bullpen, say till next Tuesday. Because Tory did say it's going to be a Tuesday Friday bullpen protocol. He did say that he's not going to have to start from scratch up for flat ground and it's going to be a pretty quick turnaround. But he just wasn't clear about whether the bullpens were going to start this week or next week.
Speaker 2: And then boom he threw today.
Speaker 3: So that being the case, you know, he was asked whether or not he could, you know, say, whether Soroka would actually make it back before the All Star break, and Tory, you know, he said, well, I'm hopeful, so we'll see. I mean, there's a chance of that. But when I dove into what Tory actually said some of the news that came out. Oh, Soroka is going to be back before the All Star Break. Maybe not quite so sure. I think it's possible. I'm not ruling it out, but you know, things got to go really well for him. He's you know, got to get ramped up pretty quickly to be able to do that. I mean, you know, there's only eleven more games, so where are you going to slot him in? And you know, maybe he gets in one start before the All Star break.
Speaker 2: It's possible.
Speaker 3: Not ruling it out, but you know, probably the best course of action with him is don't rush him. I mean, Brandon thought's coming off a positive outing, and you know, Jose Cabrera has pitched pretty well. You know, so unless you're talking about using him to replace either Zach er Merrill, I don't really see the point of it because then you're talking about having him pitch basically Saturday or Sunday against the Dodgers and maybe not being fully stretched out. I think it's wiser to just let it ride until post All Star break bring him back. You know the seventeen eighteenth.
Speaker 1: Well, knowing the Diamondbacks and how they've gone about their business this season. It's hard to believe that they won't be aggressive in getting Michael Soroka back back to the big leagues for better or worse. I mean, I guess I can understand that Soroka might not need any kind of rehab outing or anything like that. The injury happened just ten days ago today, and the fact that he was able to throw a bullpen, you know, maybe it's just another couple of bullpens and then he's good to go. So we'll be sure to keep you all updated there. The other injury update we have is about James McCann. He took live abs in a game situation on Tuesday, which is today, and could report to Triple A Reno at the end of this week. That is the expectation there. So probably not far away from seeing James McCann back in the big leagues as well.
Speaker 2: They changed the plan every day.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, Tory told us that McCann was going to play five innings in.
Speaker 2: The ACL Thursday.
Speaker 3: Instead, they moved him up two days, had him take live abs, and then.
Speaker 2: Now he's on his way to Reno. So it's just kind of funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're really I don't know if they're panicking or guys are just recovering quicker than they thought they would, but all the plans seem to be moving up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess, I guess he could play. He could still play in the complex. On Thursday, Tory just said that he's he could report to a minor league affiliate soon and is set to play in Reno at the end of this week. Both of those elements were part of what Jose Romero wrote there, so either way, James McCann not too far away from rejoining the Arizona Diamondbacks. Of course, the Diamondbacks have one game left against the San Francisco Giants in this series. Unfortunately, they cannot play the Giants every day for the rest of the season, but the Diamondbacks will have Zach Gallen on the mound tomorrow against Trevor McDonald in the finale of the series. I guess heading into that, we'll take a quick look here at the standings where the d Backs sit after this game. They, of course, are now back up over five hundred at forty three and forty two. Unfortunately, the Saint Louis Cardinals have won each of their last couple of games, and so the d Backs don't gain any ground there. They're still two and a half games out, but I guess they now only have to jump four teams. I think it is Jack, because they would lose the tiebreaker with the Nationals.
Speaker 3: As of the moment, yes, I mean, basically they are behind the Marlins and the Nationals both in the tiebreaker, as well as the Pirates.
Speaker 1: We probably should take the Marlins somewhat seriously as well. The Marlins were the best team in baseball in the month of June. They went twenty and six and outscored opponents one hundred and twenty nine to seventy eight. And they're really tied with the Cardinals for that third wild card spot. So Padres have taken a bit of a step back here the past few days, but the Marlins full steam ahead. They won their game again today. I know you put out a poll earlier today, Jack about how many games the Diamondbacks would win between now and the All Star Break. Of course, this included the game that the Diamondbacks won today against the Giants, So it's twelve games between now and the All Star Break, these two against the Giants, including today. Then they have three against the Brewers, four against the Padres next week, and then three against the Dodgers after that, the Padres and Dodgers series, of course, being on the road. And you asked the question Jack, how many of those twelve games would the dbacs win? Sixteen percent said three or less, About forty eight percent said four or five. About twenty nine percent, feeling optimistic, said the Dbacks would win six or seven. And then just six point four percent say the d Backs would win eight of those games or more. They've already got one in the can here, Jack, So what do you what do you think which one of these would you pick?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, heading into today, I figured five is what I was thinking. Yeah, honestly, I think it's going to be really tough against the Brewers. That's a really good team that plays the Diamondbacks tough. I think they can. You know, San Diego is a tough place to go in and play a four game series and win the series. I know that San Diego is a flawed team. They're starting, pitching isn't good, they're hitting isn't good, but they still got that bullpen and they play close, and you know, I mean it's tough to do better than two and two, right, And you know, so if you figure pick up two wins against San Diego, maybe going to La and steal a game, you know, and go one and two, and so that's three. The Giants win is four, and it's just hard to feel optimistic about beating the Brewers. Now, the flip side of all of this is, you know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. We see them playing better against a team like the Giants, but that's not going to fool anybody into thinking that Dbacks are a good team. But the game is played on the field, not on our computers. And if they go out there and in those ten games against the Brewers and Padres and Dodgers, if they went out and won six or seven of those games, then all of a sudden, it not only helps the record, but it flips the narrative really.
Speaker 2: Fast, like, oh, hey, they can be good teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, don't underestimate just how important this is. Mike Casen, you know, gave some extensive interviews on the radio and to a couple of my colleagues in the press box, Steve and Nick and you know, basically what he's saying is the team on the field is going to make the decision of whether I buy or sell. He's a lot less emphatic about I'm going to be a buyer, and we'll be talking more about the trade deadline than you know in coming episodes. But where are they going to be heading into the All Star Break?
Speaker 2: I think is critical.
Speaker 3: I think that you can't go into the All Star Break having, you know, lost seven or eight of these twelve games, and I think at that point, Mike's mind is probably going to be ninety percent made up towards so or.
Speaker 2: Not by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that is very fair. This is going to be a huge test for the Diamondbacks, coming up against three opponents who are right at the thick of the race. Of course, the Brewers and Dodgers in a great position. The Padre is just right on the doorstep of the playoff picture in the National League for now, though for tomorrow, the Diamondbacks have one more game against the San Francisco Giants, see if they can beat up on them once again. Go from eight to oh to nine to zero against the Giants this season. As I said earlier, it'll be Zach Gallon and Trevor McDonald going in that game. It is a night game for the series finale. No day game tomorrow for getaway Day for either team, So the Diamondbacks will play another night game and you can expect another show from us on Thursday morning. We'll record record an episode on Thursday morning. Try to get it out Thursday mid morning, Thursday early afternoon, something like that. And I'll also say here that will be a mail bag episode. We already put a tweet out asking for questions. Maybe do the same thing over on Reddit as well, so be sure to submit your questions for that episode. It's one of our favorite things to do around here is to dig into what's on everyone's mind when it comes to this Diamondbacks team. Thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time. You can find us on social media. I am at jesse En Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at Shoe Wizard fifty nine in our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI and Jack, what's on your mind? I see you you have a thought to share.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to share at Gray Mantle four't thought, which I thought was actually triggered something in my mind. I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe McCann can save Zach. He said, so, Gray Man, Well, that's a great question, because maybe they're moving him up so that after this one start, Zack's next start after this is what James McCann behind the plate and I'm sure that he was saying this a little bit tongue in cheek, but you know, Zach has pitch better with James McCann and maybe that will help. So maybe that's a reason to kind of move him up and get him back in here and try to get him behind the plate for Zach Gallen and try to salvage that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. I mean, whatever it takes to get Zach Gallen back on track the Diamondbacks to figure are there, They're going to be doing that with lots of enthusiasm, trying to see if they can get Gallon back on course here in twenty twenty six. Well, thank you again to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back once again on Thursday morning. With another episode of Snake's Territory
Speaker 2: FO People