Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with reisent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Home, y'all. This is episode sixty four. As in the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Acts that they're trying to roll back, but this is episode sixty four of Native Land Pod. I am kicking this off. I'm your host, Tiffany Cross along with my other hosts, Angela Rye and Andrew gillim And we got a pack show today, y'all. What's going on? What's all got?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: We got a special guest. That's that's one great thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you want to say?
Speaker 4: No, one and only Leslie Jones.
Speaker 2: We got Leslie Jones, y'all. I didn't want to give it away.
Speaker 5: I was gonna let you tell us.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: We're excited because you know, we typically have guests during our live shows. But you guys follow us. You saw Leslie was like let me be I guess and we were like, yes, through to have you. So we'll be having guests done. So this is our first show. No, it's not because we have we have Reverend we have Yeah, but what am I talking about?
Speaker 6: This is our first time virtually, to be fair to that's our first time virtually having you.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. So excited about that.
Speaker 4: But that's not true either, Andrew.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I mean, hey, shout out to the first, but.
Speaker 6: It's some type of first. This is the only inauguration that matters. Yeah, right, this in this calendar year. And speaking of this calendar year, it's twenty twenty five, and also Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: As well underway yesterday. Well, by the time y'all see this.
Speaker 6: Two days ago, I did an executive order of conversation with our NLP audience.
Speaker 4: We're calling them sidepods or solo pods.
Speaker 6: I I was gonna say, depending on if you ask Andrew.
Speaker 4: Or the rest of us, it's a side pod.
Speaker 6: And I think that what we also will get into every show is what is happening from Project twenty twenty five that the administration is pushing through.
Speaker 4: So that will come out for shore in today's show.
Speaker 1: I love it, Andrew.
Speaker 2: What you got, well you all know, I guess as an extension of Project twenty twenty five Trump Racist January sixth, insurrectionist slash racist bigots. Keeping with the theme and what's motivating this administration and his supporters, it seems, is coming after people of color, and in this case very specifically black folk in this withdrawing of support for a diversity and inclusion in the workplace, government, non nonprofit and for profit. I want to assess to boycott or not to boycott? That is the question. I look forward to getting into it with y'all.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of you guys have asked about that. Another question that we get asked a lot is what do we do? So many people ask in our audience but also in my personal space, just our personal friends have been asking what do we do? Angela? I know you get this question probably the most because people will even ask me, can you ask Angela? And it'd be about something very cific or something very broad. So I just want to talk about that and what that means for our audience and how we can better handle that question and how people can better frame their question.
Speaker 2: And you say, what what can we do in response to what's happening?
Speaker 6: Is that everything everybody knows? Everybody knows right now, we say what do we do? That we are in an existential crisis? How do we respond? I want to say this before we went out of the rundown. TIFU laugh at this, Andrew. For the first time. I finally got called Tiffany in an Instagram comedy yesterday. So you know, she's always like people are calling me and I was like, that doesn't happen to me. They were like, Tiffany, I just love you, can you? And I was like, I just am not Tiffany.
Speaker 4: She ain't even anything.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: They do that all this time.
Speaker 5: I get it. I get it all the time.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be called Andrew. I'm sure I know ORR today because look at my shirt.
Speaker 1: Y'all are show up.
Speaker 4: Though I know. I was just thinking that.
Speaker 6: I would support black, our own brands and historically black collegists, since don't nobody else want to.
Speaker 1: Okay exactly, speaking of let's get into it.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for welcoming home each and every week when I listen to you guys.
Speaker 8: My name is doctor annbra Brown, and I have a question. I know that Donald.
Speaker 7: Trump is constantly putting out these ook orders that are very harmful and very impactful in a negative way towards the minorities.
Speaker 8: Especially brown and black communities.
Speaker 7: And so I think just recently he decided to stop letting.
Speaker 8: Funeral agency celebrate Black History Month.
Speaker 7: And my question is, like, why are Black Americans just allowing us to happen? Like why can't we stay up and say no, this is not what we're gonna do, Like stop giving our money to companies and organizations and.
Speaker 8: Platforms that do not care about us. When that happens, I feel like they can be defeated and show that no, you can't do this. Test like why are we allowing us? Do you have any thoughts? Fakes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Ambers, Ambers question is really hitting on what a lot of folks in our community are talking about right now. We've had conversations in my household I'm sure y'all have with with family and other friends around you know, how do we continue to give our money away to corporations who at this time are backing away from us and doing so in such a public way as you all know, and we talked about in the rundown. You know, some of the more patronized brands by our community are looking like they are betraying us, and it's hitting very, very close to home. I'll start with the fact that Target just recently announced that they were ending their DEI work, their emphasis on recruiting more minority let businesses into their profile. We'll talk more about that, but I just wanted to quickly mention some of the companies who have joined Target in stepping back from our community and supporting diversity, Amazon, Walmart, Meta, McDonald's, Ford, Harley Davidson, Lowe's, John Deere Tractor supply, Brown fore Men, and the list actually is continuing to grow. I think part of the good news is y'all is that the list of companies who are saying they are sticking with us is also growing. Some of those are Apple, Costco, Ben and Jerry's, EIF Beauty, JP Morgan, and again that list is continuing to grow. But folks, man, this is our j and I were having a conversation about the Target piece because it's one of the first places we were able to go to find Black History Month shirts that fit our kids that they could wear the school and felt we're proud about it. And we also, of course, as y'all know, have friends who are who on the merchandising side. In fact, why don't we, just before we get into our conversation just quickly throw to just one of those examples of vendors, of black vendors who are part of Target's national portfolio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is Melissa Butler. She's the owner of the lip Bar, which is carried in Target. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: I've seen a lot of people like, this is why we need our own Target, or this is why we need our own Walmart, which is true. But do you know why we don't have our own Target. Do you know why we don't have our own Walmart? Because we barely shop black brands. We're constantly competing to tell people to shop the lip bar over Charlotte Tilbury, or the lip bar over Mac, or the lip bar over Nyx or Elf or etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 9: So the reason why we don't have these powerhouse brands is because.
Speaker 4: Our support is finicky.
Speaker 9: In twenty twenty, when it was cool to shop black owned businesses, we all got an inflated sense of support for about three months, and then by the end of the year we had all this extra inventory. Some people had hired a bunch of people, and guess what, it wasn't cool to shop black anymore. But again, the reason why we don't have the control that y'all want us to have is because we are not keeping our dollars with on our community in the first place. So now when somebody decides that they don't want to support our community, we're all up in arms.
Speaker 4: Well, we've created this.
Speaker 5: So that's one perspective, y'all.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to know, ladies, how are you all thinking about some of the upcoming I think boycotts that are pretty well predictable. Reverend al Sharpton has announced along with this committee that there'll be a strategic list of companies that will be first targeted, no pun intended. And then there's been an announcement that February first would be the start of a nationwide boycott of target. I'm curious to know how you all feel about that, especially in the context of these business owners.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 6: I was so grateful to our friend, Reverend Mark Thompson in our feed we have a black media feed, and he said, and I don't think I'm out of line. We normally don't share out of here, but this is a synopsis he gave us from the letter from the Birmingham Jail, which we know is from Reverend Martin Luther King, Reverend doctor Martin Luther King. He said that there are four steps that you take in a direct action against any entity, and the first is the collection of the evidence, which I think that we mostly have. These companies have come out now and have said where they are rescinding, where they are retracting. I do think it's important that we distinguish Amazon, and we can talk about that today or another time. To negotiation, which normally are your list of demands. I have not seen a list of any clear demands. The third is spiritual purification. As you all know, doctor King had a commitment to nonviolent resistance. Some people believe it's something else, but there is that. And then the fourth is direct action, which are your protests, your boycotts, etc. Now, what I think is important in this day and age is I think we've gotten very comfortable with our ability to blow things up. And I don't mean in a literal sense. I mean in a figurative sense. We can say like we're gonna take this person that we cancel in this person, this brand is canceled, blah blah, but we don't have no type of strategic plan.
Speaker 4: Reverend now has talked.
Speaker 6: About them doing a ninety day review and then selecting two companies from that there are more than two companies that are basically assaulting our community, trying to take our money, but not respect us, not honor us. And I think that we do need to be in conversation with the vendors at these brands to figure out what does support look like for them if these boycotts are indeed going to happen. What we should not do is subject our friends, our family, brands that we care about to friendly fire, because people are going to be real hot about if they can't get Boss Lady no more. They're gonna be real hot about if they can't get something from Tapa, whether it's her book or some products she has in Target. And I think that we are at a time a very critical juncture where when we make enough noise, when we make our demands clear, and we are on one accord about it, there.
Speaker 4: Is a response.
Speaker 6: And I'll give you an example that's very timely right now. Yesterday, the Trumpet or the night before, the Trump administration put out a memo from the Office of Management and Budget, which is what I talked about on the Live show yesterday, which was essentially a federal funding freeze. Today as a result of the up uproar as a result of the clear information we gathered as a result of our requirements about what our expectations are as taxpayers of the federal government. That federal funding freeze has been rescinded. It's been rescinded. A judge stopped them yesterday. But today just now breaking news while we're recording, it's been rescinded.
Speaker 4: Stuff happens when we move, things change when we.
Speaker 6: Stand together, and so I would implore us to figure out what our demands look like in this very critical time, not just of brands, not just of entities, nonprofits, etc. But also of this administration and also of the Congress, particularly those representatives who are aligned with our beliefs. If we stand on run accord, I believe that fascism can be beat. So I wanted to use that example because I think it's a timely and it's an approach that works universally. Sure our methods can change. We don't have to do as doctor King did in the fifties and the sixties as TIFFs.
Speaker 4: So Alane went out as a.
Speaker 6: Sixty fourth episode for the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act, because we're trying to preserve it.
Speaker 4: What is it look what does preservation, survival and.
Speaker 6: Abundance look like it look like for us in this day and age. And I think that is what we need to wrestle with and get on the same page about.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I want to thank doctor Brown for a question. Appreciate you listening and tuning in and taking the time to drop a video. I do take a bit of an issue with the framing, and I think it's important for us to know Black folks ain't sitting around letting anything happen. We have never done that, and I can see why some people may think that. And she's not doctor Brown. You're not the only person I've heard say that. I've heard so many people say that, and I want you to know it is not true. We have never been a docile, laid down and let it happen people. We have always we damn near freed ourselves in this country. You know, we did free ourselves in this country, and we are a liberated people who will fight to hold and protect that liberation. I know a lot of what you see, the imagery you see on the very antiquated echo chambers of cable news, shows like there are two equal forces fighting each other because so often our truth makes them uncomfortable, so that's not what gets highlighted. Our resistance makes them uncomfortable. That's why you only hear about Nat Turner as if that was the only slave rebellion, when in truth, what there were hundreds of people who fought to the death. And so if I can offer some hope, there are people all across this country right now as we sit here and speak, who are activating, who are organizing, who are trying to figure it out, just like you, and I think we have to at least keep that hope in mind. Don't believe their truth about us. What we need in this moment is black folks who believe in black folks enough to not believe the bullshit they put out there about us. So and you all hear us on this podcast. You've watched the work that Angela does, You've seen the work that Andrew does, the work that we do here together to try to make sure that people are informed. And we can't do it all by ourselves. So I think that's an important distinct distinction to make We are not let standing by letting anything happen.
Speaker 2: I feel that I feel that I also feel what Amber is pointing out if I were to compare the Trump administration one to the Trump administration two and how the country seemed to respond. Right now in this moment, the pushback feels pretty vacant, pretty void, And from just my own personal lived experience and conversations you know, that I've had and just things that I've observed, it feels like this man is browbeating us. We are catching whiplash left and right, trying to keep up with the impact of these executive orders. Angela's breaking news on the recension of one. We saw them step back on the Tuskegee Airmen when they had taken that out of the training curriculum for members of the Air Force and the larger military, And so they're hearing something and it's feeling like we're revving up to show that we are prepared to reckon with you when you better be prepared to reckon with us if we can square up. But a as a country, when we look at the inauguration and we see corporation after corporation after corporation, people who wrote statements following January sixth, cutting ties, We're done with this. This was a you know, a reach too far? Are now special guests, and everybody's treking down tomorrow Lago to pay homage to bend the knee. That is, in my experience pretty how do you say deflating for the opposition? And my response really is twofold so one to our leaders, our national leaders, folks in Congress, I mean folks in the Senate, I mean these are elected. I'm speaking very specifically on the elected side of this, which is y'all need to clone Mitch McConnell on the left, because I don't know how it is that when Republicans were out of power, they were somehow able to bring the government, the business to a grinding halt. When the President declared war on the Congress by saying he has appropriation power over them, wherein it's given to the Congress in the Constitution of the United States, I would have said, we ain't hearing no more nominees for any position in this government until we come to a reckoning on the fact that Congress is the appropriator by constitution. Why would we go from calling this man out saying that he is creating an illegal act by trespassing on the rights and the responsibility of Congress through appropriation and then in the afternoon hold a confirmation hearing for three four five of his nominees. No, sir, we're bringing the Congress to a halt until you recognize this because this man is willing to roll the dice and take a chance that the same Supreme Court that made him a king when it comes to prosecution and accountability, will be the same Supreme Court that will hold him, that will have his back on this fight with Congress around appropriation and then to the boycotts. Just real quick and I'll be done. And this is to say the folks in Montgomery did not want to have to disrupt their lives by walking and carpooling to work, to church, to school, to social activities.
Speaker 5: You have it.
Speaker 2: When the boycott was announced, it wouldn't agreed upon by all black people and Montgomery. In fact, we know that through protests practically ten percent of us participated and all of the civil rights demonstrations combined during that period of time. So we're not going to be able to get everybody signed on and by in uh through ballot or or them expressing their opinions. But the damn thing, after a year's time worked. It was inconveniencing. It was. It was mind boggling, it was frustrating, it was angering for us, but they stuck to it. We there was an announcement, there was the plan was laid. We said we are not getting back on this and back on this bus, and that indignity to be suffered until y'all come to heal. And they bought Montgomery to heal. I say that to say, I've seen people texting and me, and and and and my wife and just reading some of this stuff. Folks, Well we can't do this because we got black brands. Well, guess what. We spent a couple of days just looking at how we can get access to those black brands outside of Target. Is there a direct distribution from a from a provider directly to my house? And yes it existed for a good number of them. Target was a distribution opportunity, but there was also a direct way to get to the to the to the vendor to get what it is that you want us you can support them. So all I have to say is where there is a will, there is a way. And if it isn't making you uncomfortable, if it isn't disrupting your pattern, if it isn't inconveniencing, mind boggling, mind blowing, upsetting, then you're not doing it right.
Speaker 1: Can I add?
Speaker 2: But these folks have never coming to us with respect until we use our dollars to say hell Na, If you don't respect me enough to employ me and to employ the qualified brothers and sisters who are putting product into this street, then you don't deserve my money. Period.
Speaker 1: Angela. Let me ask you, because Andrew's making this point about our de lyrics in Congress, and I have to be honest, like, I don't know who our leaders are, and I you know, Andrew respectfully, I definitely am not looking at elected officials as our leaders these days, because I think they are there to uphold an institution that quite frankly needs to be disrupted. At this point, I think I'm ready to dis antle everything. But Andrew, you do make a legitimate point that so many other people have set. What are Democrats doing so, Angela? You heard Andrew suggests, well they need to just halt government? Is that possible? One? Do the Democrats have the power to do that? And two? Is the Congressional Black Caucus large enough in number where they can halt legislation. Most of them are in the House, so I don't know how they would like halt the Senate confirmations. And as we're so disaggregated in Congress, and as a Democratic Party is so disaggregated, you have white people there in the Democratic Party. Who are you know, representatives in Congress who want to uphold the institution of white supremacy, so it's not in their interest to bring it to a haul. All the Republicans were united in upholding white supremacy, and on the Democratic site you don't have that. So what power do Democrats have?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: So first I just want to say we didn't know what our mini power was going to be at I really hope our MINIPO today can be the first party.
Speaker 4: Your question, which is, I don't.
Speaker 6: Even know who our leaders are, Okay, let's do journey not look into two members of Congress. So I'm dying to know who your leaders are. That is a cold tease, So y'all just know. And also, since we talked about teases before I answer this question, I'm already off topic.
Speaker 4: You guys.
Speaker 6: We have a really great interview with Leslie Jones at the end of this show. Make sure you stay and hear that interview. So the CBC does have the numbers, but more importantly, the Congressional Black Caucus has always had the conscience. And I think what is incumbent upon all of us as black people right now is to move as if we are the conscience of whatever space we occupy. I love what Andrew said because it's such a good reminder. You guys know, my memory sucks, but it was such a good reminder what Andrew said. Only ten percent of the people participated in the boycott practice in Montgomery. I was watching this clip. It was Doctor Claude Anderson recently, and this man was like critiquing a clip of Doctor Claude on Breakfast Club. He mentioned that there was a black man, I believe it was a preacher, and I want to get this wrong, who offered up buying our own buses during the time of the boycott. And I had never heard this. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the story. I had never heard this story. Doctor King at al didn't want that as a part of this strategy. But what would have happened if that man, if this preacher would have just proceeded and said, well, ain't but ten percent. He also, let's ten percent over here are going to work on this. We are so much more powerful when we play our role. When we play our position, Like everybody not gonna go to the boycott in a protest, and that's fine, you still gonna reap the benefits like I wish you would participate. But what I'm saying is ultimately your obligation is to find your lane and occupy that well, it is to dominate that. It is the person that writes the best should be doing our demands. The person that articulates should be speaking our demands. The person that can go and negotiate and isn't the rebel riser should should be negotiating our demands, and then we have to figure out what next. But when I think about our members, the CBC was never monolithic, and it's definitely not.
Speaker 4: Now you said you don't know who.
Speaker 6: Our leaders are, but the main leader we have is a black man. For the first time, we have the first ever black Democratic leader, and Hakem Jeffries as frankly, especially.
Speaker 4: This week, as far as I'm concerned, been killing it.
Speaker 6: They raised hell about the onb memo and they saw rewards.
Speaker 4: There is a day of.
Speaker 6: Action that they're planning the day this podcast drops, where they're engaging all types of organizations with different interests to ensure that this administration knows that it can't run over anybody. Now, I'm gonna tell you the message has been a little flawed. And I've said this to as many of them as I can. It's not cohesive. And if enough people, whether they're influenced or athletes or their political commentators, enough people have said they're not clear about what the.
Speaker 4: Democrats path forward is.
Speaker 6: I think that they do need to say, you know, this is a president that we didn't expect to see in this role. Again, we have been on our heels. We were on our heels of Project twenty twenty five. We talked about it, but we didn't plan for it. Now here are our plans, here's how we're going to respond. We have Lisa blown Rochester, we have Corey Booker, we have Angela also Brooks, we have Raffaeo Warnock, and we have people who are allies to them that could stop, you know, closure in the Senate who could say no, you're not going to have unanimous consent to proceed with these nominees.
Speaker 4: A lot of folks have said.
Speaker 6: They could push back on the folks who he keeps trying to nominate, who represent because they wrote the chapters in Project twenty twenty five, including his OMB nominee who's not even an yet.
Speaker 4: That was the interim that caused out of hell.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, right, So there are things that they can do in that regard as well. We can go on and on about the ways, but I just don't want us to give hope. And we should always remember that our most sacred obligation to these members of Congress is not to expect them to move without our demands. We should be telling them what we want to see, what we need to see, whether it's on our movement building, it's on messaging from them, or it's on legislation that we need them to pass or block.
Speaker 2: Angela, can I just borrow you.
Speaker 1: You really quickly, just so our viewers know. O and B is the Office of Management budget sola OMB memo. It is the memo announcing the funding free. So anytime you hear O and B, that's what that is. Office of Management.
Speaker 5: Correct, thank you for that.
Speaker 4: In yesterday, I said that ninety two times.
Speaker 2: I just want to give an example of what a member of the United States Senate could do when I said grind his confirmations to a whole Tommy Tubberville, a US Senator last year, refused to confirm any nominees to the military brass brought it to a screeching halt for months. Criticized by Republicans and Democrats alike for the tactic, A single member of the US Senate, which we got what forty seven, forty eight Democrats whatever that are in the United States Senate, one of them can grind that body to a complete and total halt. Now again, I don't think you go nuclear on every fight that we have with this administration. I actually think they ought to have levels. There are to be levels of urgency. This one, we just get into people to make calls. This time, we're going and we're putting our best communicators out there, and they're going to bring the message into American people's homes. Third level, when we at you know, level red, then we are shutting shit down. And what I am terrified of right now is that they have been told by consultants that because Donald Trump is going to do everything and have us ridditing every which way. We have to hold our fire for just the right fight. Well, that is nonsense. If Donald Trump is dropping shit every single day that is impacting our lives, why do we leave him the zone to make his message known? And nobody is there with a counter And I don't mean nobody, but I just mean a coordinated, strong, impactful, and strategic way getting out there and fighting this man. You meet him right where he is, well it it doesn't take the right fight. Every fight that is deriving us of our livelihood is the right fight.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of doing a minipod on who are our leaders? I think that's definitely worth a discussion. Some of the things you all are speaking to about the fight and you know how to frame the fight. I think it gets us to the conversation around what do we do? And so we do have a viewer question who poses a specific question around what Native Land can do. So let's take a listen to that question, and then I have thoughts on the other side.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Native lamp pod and pod fans.
Speaker 10: My question is for right now that we already know we got four years of this everyday spend cycle that will be the second round of the Trump administration. How can Native Lamp pod help individuals understand better how to get involved with the local and state government, because basically the feeds have already said thanking the food with us, So if y'all could, could y'all providing insight to help us out watch for the hook?
Speaker 5: I love yes at the end of the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, shout out to Omega Side five Fraternity Incorporated. We appreciate your question, brother, But I I love that question because I like that he's focused on where can we go? What can we do? But you know, I get asked this question all the time, what do we do? What do we do? What do we do? This question is a little different because he's saying, Okay, the federal government is going to be bulldozing ahead, what can we do at the state and local level? And as I said many times before, a lot of these policies began at the state and local level. A lot of these shitty policies bubble up from your Republican controlled state legislatures. These billionaires, they are smart, they are strategic. They start placing people on your school boards because that is a launching pad for them to get into Congress, they start funding campaigns as a state representative, a state senator. So you know, some of this stuff has already happened. But this idea of and my co host may disagree with me, so I want to hear you guys thoughts. This idea of somebody guide, somebody, point us in the right direction. And we can get more into this on THEO when it comes to our leadership. But what I've started asking people is well what are you doing? Because I'll say I am not an all seeing guru where I can say, oh, okay, well here's what you need to wake up tomorrow and do. I'll ask people, well, what is it that you care about? What is the thing that's impacting you and your family most, you and your community most? And then there's usually something you can do in that capacity, there's some sort of resource you can find. Our good sister Joteka Edie does the win with Black women. Call every Sunday where they are. It's thousands of women from across the country organizing. That's just a step. Because some people have said to me, well, I'm not the person to bring it together, I'm the person to give me, my marchin orders, and I go out and do it, and so my pushback. I always say this all the people who say, if I was alive during the Civil Rights Movement, I would have Whatever you're doing right now is the thing you would have been doing.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: If you doom scrolling through Instagram, that's what you would have been doing during the Civil Rights movement. If you are man twelve hours of TV, that's what you would have been doing during the Civil Rights Movement. The time is now, So when it comes to these local government, I think it's a lot easier to navigate local government. And this takes the example of black folks ain't just sitting around letting something happen. It's a lot eier. You can get twenty of your friends at your house and have a state senator over and confront them and talk to them, say I got twenty people, we all got twenty dollars each to donate your campaign, or we ain't got nothing. We got bodies to move. I want to come you to come to my house and hear what we care about. You can do that. The city council, school board, state rep, state senator, and even a representative from the governor's office, like make noise and be heard. So that's just my thought. But I'm curious from you guys because I know you all get that question all the time. And what do you say when individuals ask you that?
Speaker 4: I want to defer to Andrew.
Speaker 6: And I'm also going to add an extra layer onto this question for you, ag. You started such a tremendous organization that I don't think gets enough credit. When you were at P five, which is People for the American Way, Andrew created an it's called the Young Elected I know my question, Damn, I got it, the Young Elected Officials Network. And it was so powerful because they harnessed the collective energy and power of young elected officials and various capacities throughout the country. Many of them are still in elected office. Sadly, he's gonna be mad that I'm gonna do this, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna do it.
Speaker 6: Sadly, one of them went on to become a turncoat, that is Kristen Cinema. Kristen Cinema left and we don't know what happened, or we pray that the lawyer brings her back home to her right mind and to her better politics.
Speaker 4: But in the meantime, Andrew, I do think.
Speaker 6: That things like that, where you're not only strategizing on policies that matter and that would be impactful for communities, but also what roads lead to next positions for these folks are mission critical. Can you please talk about the important of folks being engaged and running for office themselves? Like it's so shyy to be in the game when you standing on the sidelines barking orders but you're not there on the field.
Speaker 4: I'm one of those. I'm gona stay on the sidelines, but care that's real.
Speaker 2: And when you barking them a lot of times you're not barking them to the right people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you kick it up dust.
Speaker 2: But I will say this because it's such a it's a good question, a profound question, and also an accessible response and answer. Y'all, it is not rocket science. I know it feels that way. But you can't eat an elephant hole. You eat it piece by piece by peace. Angela earlier reference, we all have a role to play. The first role all of us out of play is we need to lock into our cell phone the district office number for our member of Congress and both of our United States Senators. I understood the question, but I do not concede that the federal government is out of our reach simply because the Republicans are in control. That's when the that's when the right woke up, when we were in control, started turning local offices and began going after Barack Obama and the Democratic Congress on the House, on the Senate side, and throwing them out at the midterm elections. This is go time right now. We are not excused out of Washington, DC because we are the majority, and they still got our money up there, and we ought to be telling them where those dollars ought to go. So locking those numbers because we ought to be making those calls. Every time the word comes down, we hear that they're doing something, y'all. I know it sounds overplayed, but I'm telling you right now, I've been an elected official. I've been on the receiving end of what a massive response looks like and what a doll response looks like. And when the doll response comes in, I can tell you it had no impact whatsoever on the way I was going to vote on an issue, left or right, center, whatever. A huge response for I'm a zoning issue. Right, a gas station wants to go in on the end of the corner of this neighborhood. The neighborhood says, we don't need no gas station, we need a grocery store. Then they organize and they start sending letters. They call my office, They left messages we are against this. We are against this even if no grocery store is out there to be had right now. We believe you ought to sit on the land until there is one that is ready for us. Right And when those when my staff came in and said, we've the phones are ringing off the hook today about this thing, I knew that I couldn't be cavalier. I had to deepen into it. I had to know what I needed to know so that however I arrived at my decision, I could explain it. It was reasoned and it could stand the test of time. So when we choose to say, oh, both my senators are Republicans, and so they're not gonna hear me anyway, light that line up anyway, because their interns and their staff are going to report to them.
Speaker 3: Sir.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of calls on this, and guess what that member of Congress is gonna ask that elected. The physic's gonna ask, hey, are we hearing much feedback from the district about such and such?
Speaker 4: And two zero two two two four three one two one, and request to speak to your US House of Representative member or your senator.
Speaker 2: And if you don't touch that google zero.
Speaker 4: Two two zero two two two four three one two one.
Speaker 6: That's not how you reach Andrew, but that is how you reach your members of Congress.
Speaker 2: That is a a shuffle board. You call it, You tell them who you want.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Called it?
Speaker 3: Something?
Speaker 2: Board? Switchboard, switchboard and see look at me. Okay, okay, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna list out everything at this time, y'all, but I will say the accountability piece here when we're out of power, quote is everything. We cannot go silently into that good night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they are coming for us, they need to hear us in response. The other thing. It takes work, it takes effort, it takes energy. But this is our time where we need to be in our local communities registering people to vote, and not just registering them to vote, activating them around the issues in their neighborhood and in our communities. That we can impact. If ten of us went down to the city Hall meeting tonight and had a word to say, I guarantee you, your mayor and your commissioner's council members will hear you, because we don't get ten people out of meeting on a single issue ever, and when they do show up, it's a big a deal. Okay, so it does. I guess I should say this. It ain't that hard, y'all. It does require some work, but everything I've said to this point is within our touch, it's within our reach.
Speaker 1: They want us to believe that it's hard. They want us to believe that they're inaccessible. It's complicated. Government lingo is so complicated, and it does. I think there's a concerted effort to not have intelligent found in black folks who can actually take government lingo and make it very digestible, very accessible. The Beltwegh media is very incestuous the way they talk about these things, and they don't make it very accessible to the masses. I know we have to wrap up soon because I'm excited to get to the mini pod about Angela's question, and I'm really excited because we're going to have Leslie Jones on in just a few minutes. And you know, look, I there's a lot of serious things happening in the world, but black joy is defiance. And you know it's okay sometimes to have a light moment. But this is the question I want to ask you guys, because it's something that I think so many of us are struggling with. There is there are some who believe we're gonna have to hurt for us to really that is the thing that's going to activate people. And I am struggling with this because I do feel I just I feel like, you know what y'all got it. This is what the majority of the country voted for, or the majority of the voting population voted for. Not even that, because he didn't win the popular vote. This is what enough of y'all voted for that I want you all to feal the brunt the challenge.
Speaker 4: Didn't win the popular vote.
Speaker 1: He didn't win the popular vote. He didn't win the popular vote.
Speaker 4: No, Donald Trump, this election didn't win the popular vote.
Speaker 2: Did not win the popular vote.
Speaker 6: He won just win When did I miss?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's never.
Speaker 4: He absolutely won the popular vote.
Speaker 2: No, he did not want the popular vote.
Speaker 1: He has never won the popular vote.
Speaker 6: I am trying to figure out that must change minority of the voters.
Speaker 4: Electoral college, but I don't.
Speaker 1: He has never won the popular vote. So my my point with that is the people who did want this, I'm okay with them getting hurt, you know, like this, this is what y'all got, get it. The problem is we are going to be hurt first, and we gonna be hurt worse. And so I'm trying to figure out how to strike that balance. And there are some among us even who say, look, a lot of us are disconnected, we're despondent, we're not paying attention. Were gonna have to feel that pain and that's gonna be the thing that activates us. Is there a way to activate people before we feel that pain?
Speaker 2: And I know before we have had enough pain to last us our parageny and our children's children's children's children. Yeah a lifetime. Yeah, so we we've experienced the pain. But the truth is is it does in so many ways have to travel up our street, down our block, up our driveway into the house. In order for us to see that this thing is coming apart at the seams.
Speaker 1: We have actually real quick correction from that neg correction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you guys we can never be associated with misinformation.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I know y'all is pain from this election.
Speaker 6: I was too, y'all are incorrect, like woefully Donald Trump received seventy seven million, three hundred and one, nine hundred and ninety seven votes. Kamala Harris received seventy five million, seventeen thousand, six hundred and twenty six votes. The election total in this election in twenty twenty four was over one hundred and fifty five million voters. Donald Trump beat Kamala Harris by more than two point three million votes.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I know, I'm not this.
Speaker 2: Way that's corrected. I just I think what I was thinking was the twenty twenty what was.
Speaker 4: Elect twenty twenty sixteen, twenty sixteen?
Speaker 2: Sorry no, no, no, twenty twenty and twenty sixteen, how woefully underperforming we were as voters as the electorate, so in essence being he had less popular vote than the twenty twenty or the twenty sixteen, and of course he didn't have the popular vote in twenty sixteen, Hillary I.
Speaker 1: Won the popular vote by the smallest margin of any president. But yes, you are, we are incorrect. Andrew and I were in.
Speaker 4: I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: I was like, I still want to be.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 6: I'm going to tell you right now, and this might I might end up being more misinformation in y'all. I still am not gonna miss this man won this election.
Speaker 4: I don't have no proof. I just got a good feeling.
Speaker 1: So there are so many people who feel that way, and I that speaks to it though, because it's it's almost like you would rather believe that than believe that a majority of the people in this country voted for this, and I am well.
Speaker 4: And the majority of people didn't.
Speaker 6: And more people stayed at home who are registered, more people who are registered stayed at home. So really, what we could say is neither one of in one the couch did which is the fear of the whole time, which is sad. I didn't mean to throw off the whole conversation. That's important.
Speaker 1: We should. I want to get to the conversation on leaders and we keep we have Leslie backstage waiting, so we want to get to her. But I just want to say I think I hope our people do not have to feel so much pain before being activated. I hope we can start paying more attention because I don't feel good about letting by watching my people burn. And there are people among us who are like, that's what it's gonna take because we know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope that that's wrong.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I hope it's wrong, because I feel like our people if we if we stop looking at ourselves in the microcosm of the moment, our people have suffered enough. Yes, like I'm tired of the suffering. I want us to experience abundant joy, not be worried about the scarcity of resources. We shouldn't have to keep suffering to prove a point, especially a point that we're not the ones trying to make. And I think the thing that's so frustrating and yet beautiful in this moment is we are forced to come to terms with the fact that we are forever inextricably linked. Whether we're in the same cultural pocket and the same you know, zip code, the same.
Speaker 4: Area code, what have you, we are inextric linked.
Speaker 6: And so it is imperative that we begin to look out for our neighbors in the same ways that we do for ourselves, whether they are in the highest earning bracket or the lowest earning bracket. We are inextricably linked. That's just the bottom line. And when do you tend with that one group?
Speaker 1: They coming for you too. All these people are saying, oh, well, they getting deported.
Speaker 4: Who cares.
Speaker 1: Listen, undocumented immigrants did not vote for this man. They cannot vote. They are victims of this system like a lot of other people. So I don't have I despite paying taxes right right, they are paying classes.
Speaker 2: And their cousins and them who may have voted against them. It is not a sentiment unlike many folks who immigrate to this country. They pull the ladder up behind them. Yeah, and it's unfortunately. We can dig into that another time, because I do think it is worth a deep dive on why it is. The sentiment is what it is. But the right has created all of this. They want to look more right on the right, on the on the political rights side.
Speaker 6: I think race has created all of this, because don't forget, and I think race has created all of this. I would love to blame the right, But unfortunately, even when you listen.
Speaker 4: To the rhetoric of our of people that we voted for.
Speaker 6: Around the summertime, the rhetoric started sounding very very conservative around the border and around immigration policy.
Speaker 1: There's data behind that, so there was no uptick and migrant crime, but the right introduced this, and so as a result, members of the media and Democratic candidates mentioned the border significantly more. I don't want to give the exact percentage, but it was something like eighty percent more than they had. So the right is constantly driving the narrative and that's a challenge. I know we want to bring in Leslie and I want to get to this conversation about leaders. I'll just tell you I think the leader of the black folks is drum Roll. You gotta watch the mini pod to find out.
Speaker 4: Drum Roll. Yeah, you shouldn't let that thing breeze.
Speaker 6: So it was a good team. It was black anyway.
Speaker 1: While while Leslie getting herself together, just give y'all two minutes to go and vote for us on NAACP Image Awards. You can vote to yes image words dot net. I hope that's the right address. But find us and vote for us in masks please, and when we come back, we will be joined by missus. Leslie Jones.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Joining the podcast now is author, comedian and somewhat of a social commentator. Leslie Jones, we are to have you on this show.
Speaker 3: It's happening in your world.
Speaker 1: I've been seeing you pop up a lot, uh, so I know we have a lot to get into you. Thank you so much for joining us. We're happy to have you, Susan.
Speaker 2: Welcome home.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I'm excited. I watch you and Angela and Andrew all the time.
Speaker 1: But we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love your pot. I love your pot.
Speaker 1: We appre you know, we out here trying to do what we can in this in this chaos, and it's so much happening, Leslie. And what I would have to say what I appreciate about you is you have always tried to use your platform to either a make people laugh or B speak out about something. I love that you center women and black women and a lot of the things that you do and hold the line for us. So we appreciate you for that. I think in this time we talked a little bit about what do we do? So many people are asking us all the time, what do we do? And on the other side, so many people are checked out, like they're just like I can't it's too much happening. You know, I'm gonna binge something, I'm gonna stream something which uniquely puts entertainers in a spotlight. So I'm curious what you think the role of Black Hollywood is in this moment as we're facing assault on every front, from our civil rights to our bodily autonomy, to our finances to the very infrastructure of the country. What do you think the role of Black Hollywood is there?
Speaker 3: Well, first, I feel like we need to realize what's happening through each decade or it's that we're using less and less percentage of our brain. Like there's no critical thinking, there's no like and you get that through reading books and Okay, it's hard to kind of say this without I don't want to be offensive or whatever.
Speaker 5: But speak the truth.
Speaker 3: We had a crack erar you know what I'm saying. We had There's there's kids that were born of that that wasn't raised like us like to have boundaries and critical thinking and think about it's we have to think about where the mind state of where everybody is, not just black people, white people, this society period. We are in the complacent stage right now, Like people always ask like, what do we do? What do we do. You know what we have to do. Everybody knows what we have to do. We just too complacent and we've paid for our convenience with our democracy. You know what I'm saying, We're not. No one's gonna stop watching Netflix, no one's gonna stop ordering Amazon. And we could stop smoking cigarettes for one week and shut shit down, but no one's gonna do that, no one. No one's gonna take responsibility for their role and what we have to do until they actually take it serious. Because people still are on that Oh they can't do that, Oh they can't make that happen, but they are making that happen. And we're sitting here not understanding that we hold that we hold the key in our hand. It's us. Millionaires don't have money unless we give them money, you know. And as black people, we're one of the biggest consumers of this market and we just uneducated. Man Like I'm so, I'm sorry. It really comes down to whenever I hear anyone say that they're racist or or they don't understand, you just uneducated because DEI is very simple. No one's saying they're lowing expectations. They're saying they're opening it up to everyone, not just to white people. And if you think that black people or immigrants are taking your jobs, go look at the test scores. No, it's your white friend that's taken your job. So I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you.
Speaker 6: So one of the things that that tiff was getting at is the role that you see entertainment playing in this particular moment.
Speaker 4: We know in our history, whether we're.
Speaker 6: Talking Harry Harry Belafonte to dig Gregory, entertainment entertainers have always been an essential part of movement building. And you brought up DEI, which for our audience, diversity, equity and inclusion.
Speaker 4: Hollywood was one.
Speaker 6: Of the first industries hit by folks saying you know what, we actually are going to retract a little bit on this whole DEI thing. So when you think about what the requirement is, what is your most reasonable service in this time?
Speaker 4: And that would you challengers to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I challenge them to when they go on a set, which is something I do. How many black people here like you know, you know, you're not gonna give me favorite nations? That's what they want to use all of it because can't no white woman do my hair? I've had white hairdressers on set say to me, oh, I date a black guy and we have a kid, so I know how to do black hair. What I've had a makeup artist said to me, Hey, I did Viola Davis and Gabrielle, that bitch that has nothing to do with me. You need to go and get that tone. You need to go get my color tone because I'm five shades darker than her and five shades lighter than her. So what like? And I'm gonna tell you, you gonna get labeled a bitch, but they gonna call you one anyway. I me myself. I don't like to look like a shiny ass bitch. When I was on SNL, we had a light in person that was like, like, put some more light, and I would like, put some more light on me. This is a dark ass stage. I'm a black bitch. Put the light on me. No, And I'm very verbal. I'm very verbal. Oh I look shiny. No, I look darker than what I am. Are you doing that on purpose? Are you trying to make me look dirty? Or are you Is there a reason put some light on me?
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: I had to learn that shit easy early too, because I'm a dark skinned person and if I wear any kind of light color, that shit flushes me out. So you have to speak up. Some people are scared to speak up because again, we in this this industry that's like, oh, you know, she's how I have to work with whatever. Yeah, I'm difficult, Yeah, because I'm walking Leslie Jones and I This is what people need to understand in this business. You are a business, that's right. You are a freelancer. When people ask you to work for them, that means that you are letting them have your surface is for a certain amount of time. In other words, if I have some tractors and you had a feel you are renting my tractors and you're using them to do your field. But mother, those are my tractors, and you know what you're not gonna do. You're not gonna mistred and mistreat my tractors either. You're gonna take care of them. And if you puck up my tractors, you're gonna pay for them. Do you get what I'm saying. So when you go on set and you see that, man, I say it straight up. I already know when somebody can't do my makeup as soon as they go to reach for a brush. I'll be like, you don't know what you're doing. I call my girl, you got you gotta you gotta force them to do it, because most people don't and they get away with it. But if you say something, they can do something. I mean, I mean at least when I do it. I don't know about everybody else. But when I speak up, Oh I have nappy hair, she can't do my hair. So I have a glam team and we What I do is I bring my glam team in and they're good at what they do, and they be good at what they do, and then those people go, oh wow, yeah this works better, Oh wow, she looks great. Did you get what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: So you hear I hear you saying, Leslie like youz I down to the glam and we love you for it. DA supports black businesses. I'm sure, Andrew, who is the real fam?
Speaker 4: You for the culture?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just sorry. No, I'm love I'm loving that you you broke it down like that, and more importantly, I'm loving you calling out the fact that your talent is a business, what you bring to the table. As Jay Z says, I'm a business man, and I wonder for you, Leslie, as you have increasingly become I don't know if it's become of you always been outspoken, because you know, I see you through the television screen and the movie theaters. But but I'm wondering, as you speak up and speak out in Hollywood, does it cost you? Yeah, because I think you you were getting at this. People don't want to be put in discomfort. They don't want to be inconvenience, which is why we're not choosing to boycott certain industries because that would hit too close to home. Talk a moment, just about the fact that you're risking something if you are well, every time you choose to step in the gap.
Speaker 3: I'd rather risk that than the way. I mean, I'm older now. Maybe in my twenties and thirties, you know, I would have been like, Yo, I'm down for this. Let's get this done because I'm trying to be in the hustle. But the older I get, the more I think about my parents, more I think about my grandmother, the more I think about us as a people like and as getting older, I just become so into me being a black woman. Like I stopped perming my hair I started growing my I just didn't realize how beautiful black women really are until you really, like after SNL, I dug deep into like a black woman's soul, and it's so it was always there, you know, it was always there. So whenever I'm choosing stuff now, it don't don't be like I'm making a choice. It's just like, yo, this is what's happening, Like no that I can't do this because I feel like this. So, yes, I do lose some things, but the good thing that I'm noticing is that the people who do know that I'm good, and the people do that know what integrity and dignity is, they're starting to come back around it at because I'm good at what I do. That's why I have to be super good at what I do. You I wouldn't be able to take a stance if I wasn't funny as trust and believe. So that's why we tell everybody have some foundation behind your you know't don't be the pig with the stick house. Be the pig with the bricks, you know what I'm saying, So and be able to make more bricks, you know. So, yeah, I do know all that we're talking about prices.
Speaker 1: The price right, right. I appreciate that we're also talking about this boycott, right, a lot of things the boycott, and I think as this administration continues to sow chaos and we see the role of the private sector and as they fund some of these really Dracronian initiatives, and who knows what else is coming down the pike. But a lot of us build audience on some of these platforms, for example Instagram, Facebook. For some people, you have a huge following on Instagram. Yeah, I used to, you know, watch your replays when it was about like Game of Thrones and all all the things that you do would go viral on Instagram. But this is owned by meta Mark Zuckerberg, who's a part we stream content on Amazon. I'm just curious how you plan to navigate that space. You plan on keeping your Instagram and if you get off, like where is there to go? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Well, Well, my thing too also is I'm a business person also, like you know, it's I can't I have to learn how to navigate a business too, But it also has to be what people want to Like, if people stop to win Instagram and you know, then I'm a fine somewhere else because I was doing that before Instagram and before TikTok and before Twitter, I still was out there. You know what I'm saying, We I think we need to start start like trying to wane off that ship because it's not good for us anyway. You know what I'm saying, Like, it's it's just making unnecessary people like confamous that are really dangerous. You know. I think we're just so into this social media ship that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just feel like if this wasn't around, we would still find a way to communicate with each other. I think we just have to put a little bit more effort into it, and I would find a way. I mean, you know, now they got substacked, Now they got h what is that Patreon? You know? I mean, what.
Speaker 2: Are working on now?
Speaker 1: What is working to find you in? How are going to promote it?
Speaker 3: Oh? I'm so many things. Well, people just came out with it because you know, we're celebrating the sn L fifty. Yeah, so I'm on the cover of that. So I just sold the show with Universal, so that's going to be coming out. I'm also uh getting ready to do a play. Uh my specials coming out. Uh yeah, we got a lot of good ship cooking.
Speaker 5: I think she's propriet keeping it down.
Speaker 6: And if and she had a special, she didn't invite us to as much as she said, Oh my god, let.
Speaker 3: Me tell you, Let me tell you, let me let me tell you, let me tell you what happened.
Speaker 2: So my my special was.
Speaker 3: My special was supposed to be taped in Rancho Cuckamonga. So we was about to promote that, right racial Cookamonga was like with it. They was like, yo, we're gonna pay you twenty five thousand extra for you to mention Rancho Cookamonga. And then somebody I guess on the board went and looked at my material and they was like, oh no, she can't represent Rancho Cuckamonga. So they banned me from Rancho wow.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: And then I told him, I said, so it wasn't the math that oh it was. It's not it's not the it's not the robber reason nothing. That's not what's killing Okay, me telling a dick joke, all right?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: So, so so what happened we end up when Yeah, then we yeah, then we read we had the Rancho. Yeah, we had to redo it and we end up doing it the night after the election, which was the worst night. And I'm telling you nobody, I was like so mad because I was like, why did y'all pick that date? And niggas like we thought Kamala was gonna win.
Speaker 6: All thought we would have we would have R s v P that we were going lest and to celebrate with you, and wouldn't shown done with it.
Speaker 2: Before we let you go? So many people before we let you go, I have to just before we let go, we gotta ask you had referenced your twenty somethings, your thirty somethings, if you could turn back and look at that, sister, for those of us who are you know, still coming up on the rough side of the mountain advice, would you give what? What? How would you ease the soul, the mind, the heart looking back on your troubles at the time and how how you got over You know.
Speaker 3: What's so crazy? First of all, I believe in God. I really do believe in a higher power. You know what I'm saying. I don't know if I believe in the God that these people believe in. But when you get older, you do start developing a real relationship with him because you really do. Like there's times that come the way you go, like I had a surgery and you know that type of stuff. People die you you know, you go on your knees and be like yo, you say you there, like are you there? And he has proven to me that he's there. So so that for me is very important because then you just really hoping faith work in together. You know what I'm saying. But I would tell young folks, which I whish. I tell people all the time if I could quanetum leap to myself and say, please don't worry, Like worry is not going to help it the situation at all. It's just like try to enjoy every stage of your life, like enjoy the small apartment, Enjoy the ragley ass car, Enjoy the shitty job, enjoy enjoy, enjoy it, like there's so many moments in there where you know you having fun. I think back when I was broke, and the most fun thing I used to do was like I had a cup on for l Polo Loko and I would go get me some chicken wings. I would give me some chicken wings and two chair rows and let me tell you something and go home and watch my favorite and I'm talking about joy. You have to find the little creases because that makes you human. Also disconnect like I literally leave my phones now inside another room because you have beneath connect. You have to promise you will waste most of your life and go outside. Go outside, walk in the park, look at the sky, and let me tell you something. And I tell young inst this all the time. If you do not appreciate where you are, you will not be given the next step. Until you appreciate, you will not graduate. That's just it.
Speaker 2: That's a word.
Speaker 1: You made me think of something. Andrew. This is gonna be our last question because I know we overtime and Leslie gotta go, but just really, before we let you go. You you work with a lot of other comedians, but also white women comedians, and I know we have talked about on this show, and I've been struggling with this question of the role of white women in our politics, and so my attitude is kind of like, y'all, y'all got it, y'all, y'all work it out amongst yourselves. I can't do it. But when you're in those spaces, Leslie as the sole black woman in an ensemble cast or on a show like SNL. Do you get into those conversations and what would you say to white women who are complaining about it? And maybe they voted right, but they grandma voted for Trump, or maybe they group chat voted for Trump, or the assignment was to bring along your friends. How do you respond to them in this moment right now?
Speaker 3: Girl? Girl, do you know how much trouble I used to get into. I used to get into so much trouble because they would do things and I'd be like, that's racist, Like I'm that person. I'd be like, Noah, that's racist, or a microaggression, like that's racist? What you mean by that? Liken' I don't give about calling a bit chy'at because like you, you can't fight me. So let's let's go like what did you mean by that? But what did you mean by that? But what did you mean by that? But like no, And then a lot of white women do say things because they think that they're like, oh, I love when they say, well, I don't see color, and I'll be like, yes you do, bitch, I said you see colors because your outfit is coordinated, right, And let me tell you something. You're gonna see my color, bitch, because I'm a beautiful black alabast and if you don't see my tall then we have a motherfucking problem. So you gotta check them. Like the there's club owners that own that are trumpers, and you gotta check them. You gotta check them. You're wrong, You're freaking wrong, You're faking wrong. There's a club that I don't go to because I'm not. I don't do this. I don't. You don't get to have me. And then both the other way, you don't get to have me, and then tell me that I don't I'm a three fists of a person, or that I can't take care of my body, or I can't get the same pay as you. Now the fucking pay is the motherfucking pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and and.
Speaker 3: And so I get in trouble all the time, son, Trust I get in trouble all the time. And oh especially the white men. Because let me tell you something about white men, and I don't I'm gonna say this, and I'm gonna be dumb, but I know every black woman will feel this. You need to understand that white men have a different type of fear for black women because they was on the tit of our ancestors. We raised them, we're their discipline when we talk to a white man. Have you ever just really honestly talked to a white man and you could see him turning inside because because they know we right, we we your mammy, We your mammy. I took a switch to you. I took a switch to your great granddaddy, like real talk, like there's that connection there, it really is. And I think that's their biggest fear is that if we get in control, that we're gonna do the same thing that they did. But we we don't feel that way. We are nurturing and race. And this is another thing. We don't want to erase them. They want to erase us. That's the problem. We We know you want to go ahead and survive, but leave.
Speaker 1: Us alone, right, leave us alone? Well, an, that's say the new name of the show, color.
Speaker 2: Coordinated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't, leslie, We appreciate you do.
Speaker 1: Appreciation, No, we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we got our marching orders, y'all by the marsh will break.
Speaker 12: Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, y'all, Is that time past the collection played, Leslie dropped it because it was hot. Oh and now and now we need our ct as to take us on out of here minus simple lumbo double down on Tiff. These previous comment about going and voting, please not because only we asked you, but because hopefully you believe we deserve it.
Speaker 4: For the NAACP Image Awards, not.
Speaker 2: Somebody gonna pull up a graphic where people gotta go for listeners then give them away.
Speaker 6: A CP Image Awards dot net. And we are in the News and Information category for podcasts. My CTA is, please listen to this, this mini pod we're about to do on who black leadership is or who are our black leaders I am fascinated by this.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering if it's going to be a debate.
Speaker 6: And then also, even though they just rescinded the executive action for for federal funding freezing federal funding, please listen to the solo pod side pod for me yesterday that we did on what I did on YouTube. I think that it's still good information regardless because all of that is still on the line. They just paused for now because you're paying attention.
Speaker 1: So the solo pod drop Tuesday this week sorry, okay, so be sure to go on native Land and I'll keep my cta simple as well. And that is if you are not already subscribed uh to native Land, please do that because those numbers matter a great deal for all you guys who say you love us, you love us, you listen to us, tell your friends to subscribe. Make sure you listen. We're trying to offer more content. So the more you listen, the more content we can offer, and the more you support us, the wider our audience can grow and reach in the bigger this community we can.
Speaker 2: And if you're a subscriber, you get special content, right, special content for those who subscribe, yes, so.
Speaker 1: Make sure you do that, uh. And then I will also just say love on your fur babies, because I love the fur babies.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: One thing to do is bring up the dogs.
Speaker 1: I mean, they make me so happy. They make me so happy.
Speaker 6: But am a graphic of a dog for her right along as you be sure to subscribe, we also want to ask leave us a review.
Speaker 1: Please please please please be sure to leave us a review because the reviews matter. We're available on all platforms and YouTube and new episodes as you all know, drop every Thursday, and like I said, it will be more content coming your way. Our mini pods drop Monday. You can check out Angela's side pod not to be confused with her side Peace, but her side pod it dropped Tuesday this week. They don't forget to follow us on all the platforms. A lot of you guys are asking about Blue Sky. People been tagging me like Tiffany, when is Angela getting on a blue skuy And I'm like, I'm pretty sure she's on Blue Skuy.
Speaker 4: I am, but I need to get the password.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So she is on there. Native Land is on there on all our socials, so follow us everywhere. You can be sure to subscribe to our text or email lists on our website at natal lampod dot com. And a quick reminder when you are sending questions, we do ask a dab video questions. Lolo want to make sure I said that, So make sure that when you're we play videos and so for you that for us to answer h your question. We want to see you, we want to talk to you, and we want we'd like to use you guys in our social media as well.
Speaker 4: You need to know your name to and where you're from.
Speaker 1: Your name and where you're from, and quick questions. This can't be Sunday Morning Communion Sunday where y'all testifying?
Speaker 6: It can, but it's gonna get cut. Yes, it's gonna be yeah, So make it easy on names.
Speaker 1: Under sixty seconds, under sixty seconds. All right, Uh, there are six hundred and forty two days until midterm elections. We are Tiffany Cross, Angela and Andrew Gillim. Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home.
Speaker 3: The last morning.
Speaker 12: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of what the info and all of the latest Rock Gulam and Cross are connective to the statement that you leave on our socials. Thank you, sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared.
Speaker 3: So grateful to.
Speaker 2: To execute roads.
Speaker 12: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth. And in case it well, walk a.
Speaker 13: Home to all of the natives, We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.